Speaker 1: Welcome, dear listener, and thanks for joining us.
Speaker 2: And I'm Stephen and this is a podcast all about the weird and wonderful world of the Dark comedy anthology series Inside number nine.
Speaker 1: On each episode, we'll be diving into another one of Steve Pemberton and Reese Shearsmith's twisted tales, putting it under a lens and examining it within an inch of its life.
Speaker 2: So make yourself comfortable, grab a cup of tea, and join us for the ninth degree. Hello, Hello, Hello, double L, double L.
Speaker 1: Very good.
Speaker 2: Let's see see double how long I can keep this up?
Speaker 1: You've already forgot keep so I said, you said, ce doub how long I can keep this up?
Speaker 2: Oh shit?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well so about ten seconds was.
Speaker 2: The probably guys that DOUBLET that I give it up.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's going to ge annoying if you did that, annoying double N. All right, how are you?
Speaker 2: I'm oh, okay, how are you?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Fine. I made a bit of a mistake earlier because I was just towards the end of the workday. I'm working from home at the moment, and there was a knock at the door, and it was one of those charity workers where they try and get you to donate. Yeah, and you know what it's like for see, you know you can't give to every charity that comes knocking at your door. Yeah, but I'm I find it very hard to say no.
Speaker 2: Same.
Speaker 1: And when it got to the point where she asked me, you know if I wanted to donate, I said, well, I don't want to commit to anything until I run it past my otherhalf, who's not back from work yet. Yeah, And so she said, all right, I'll come back later. Then shehall I. She said, I can come back just before eight o'clock.
Speaker 2: And we're moving house at half seven.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, but yeah, I said, oh, okay, okay, because I didn't know how to say no. And then I'm thinking, oh shit, I'm supposed to be recording, so I'm now praying there's not going to be a knock at the door in the middle of this. But yeah, fun news as well to just point out that even though you won't be hearing this for a few weeks, we're actually recording on the day our one year anniversary of doing.
Speaker 2: The podcast Exciting Times, which is very cool, really flown by. Yeah, is it is it a year to us doing our first recording or our first episode going out, the.
Speaker 1: First one going out?
Speaker 2: Okay, I thought it was. Yeah, I clearly keep track of these things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's much easy for me to see obviously on the platform that upload the episodes on, so yeah, makes more sense.
Speaker 2: True. Yeah?
Speaker 1: AnyWho, should we reveal last week's hair?
Speaker 2: Yes? Last week it was Tom and Jerry, which is where the boundaries and constituents are.
Speaker 1: And I would say it's worse in America, but I won't say if that's true anymore.
Speaker 2: They do seem to redraw the boundaries a little bit more there, but they do. Yeah, and you can't have freedom and Jerrymander at the same time slightly shoehorned in.
Speaker 1: Yes, a little bit well done if you spotted it, look.
Speaker 2: Out for one this week. Yes, as we discuss a random act of kindness seven, Episode five, Helen and her teenage son Zac don't really get on until a random act of kindness brings the mysterious Bob to their front door. He seems to understand their problems and offers to help.
Speaker 1: Okay, interesting, What do we think about this one? Then?
Speaker 2: I quite like it? Is it the most original story ever? No? But I quite like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would agree. I think it's got plenty to enjoy about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh, definitely time travel. It's our wheelhouse.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, very small cast unusually.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just well just the two outside of recent Steve. Yeah. Yeah, Jessica Hines fantastic actor. She is.
Speaker 1: I adore her.
Speaker 2: She's brilliant. I've not seen her in a lot of things, so when she pops up, she's always fantastic.
Speaker 1: She always is. And I was thinking earlier like she's equally good at comedy and serious. Yes, that she's really really gifted at both, which is unusual, I think, so to be so good at both.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I've been watching or rewatching twenty twelve and w one ah knows. Yeah. So she plays the head of a PR company, right, and she is the most awful, obnoxious character thick as two short planks, right, but thinks she knows everything. And it's like one of those characters like we've all met people like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she multiple times a day usually.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she's just like, holy sheet, guys, we're like boiling the ocean here, Like she's so good. But yeah, I loved her character in this h you.
Speaker 2: Really feel for her. You really do so difficult to do in twenty five minutes. Yeah, it's always I'm always so impressed when they manage to do it. Yeah, when there's so much else to get like plot wise, to get in, to give a character enough time to really shine through, It's always always amazes me.
Speaker 1: It is amazing.
Speaker 2: She's another one that said they've been trying to get for age. His book was just too busy.
Speaker 1: I'm not surprised.
Speaker 2: So got Jessica Hines as Helen and Noah Valentine as Zach, who played like It's just a really believable mother sudden sort of situation.
Speaker 1: Very believable.
Speaker 3: Yes, painful, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this this thing of that they just they can't connect and you feel like, I mean, we don't we don't hear too much about the dad, but you sort of you wonder what life was like when he was there, and if he was I don't know. Now he's gone. It's like a piece of the Jigsaws missing and she can't quite sort of connect with him.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean I feel so sorry for her. But some of the things she says to him, you just think you're not helping yourself, Like like, what teenager is going to respond well when you say something like you know things that us humans call ingredients, and when he was already in a mood like that's not going to help as.
Speaker 2: It's well, although I'm kind of living in that boat at the moment because it was just a time recording Eurovision of the weekend and I had a party. So my fridge is just full of olives and hummas and all the crap that didn't gain right at the party and that I don't know what to do with. It's not a meal, but it's a lot of food.
Speaker 1: We also the opening there with a voiceover from Reese. He gives us lots of scientific principles, which I quite like the way that they use that as a framing thing, and it's sort of, you know, obviously thematic to the whole relationship between them and stuff that.
Speaker 2: They're not going anywhere, and then this new force comes in.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah. But also that you see him, you know, skateboarding home at the beginning, and there's this thing of an object in motion will remain in motion unless whatever it is, unless another object applies of whatever it is, Plasa falls or something something like that. I'm not a scientist, but you know, sort of almost in that moment, it's like, oh, is he the object in motion? And is something going to stop him?
Speaker 2: You know? Yeah, whenever you see someone on a skateboard, it's it's like Chekhov's gun, isn't it Like at some point they're going to get hit by a car. Yeah. Whenever a camera is close up on wheels of a skateboard, it's immediately before I get it hit by a car. Every time. Yes, Seah, I did expect that. I think that's where it was going the first time I watched it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, So he's come home from school. She wants to talk m H. But he's not interested. No, he's annoyed that she's got her clicks on her typing.
Speaker 2: They are infuriating. My mom does this as well. Yeah. It's such a parent thing, isn't it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just love their interaction though, When you know, he tells about disabled clicks, she's like, no, well disabled clicks, you disabled clicks, And he's like alf.
Speaker 2: One of they insists on putting those on because it's always on by default and you can never get rid of them. Is it because the people that do want them, would never be able to actually put them on.
Speaker 1: Probably, as we often often say, obviously, but lots of lines that have extra meaning when you know the twist, Like when they're talking about his dad walking out and she says, if I could go back and do things differently, I would.
Speaker 2: There are a lot in this I don't know. I'd noticed that one.
Speaker 1: That's just occurred to me on my last watch today, and I've got to call out probably the best line of her best delivery. Can't we please live together without all this constant argie bargie. Let's cut the beef. Bro she tried.
Speaker 3: Cut the beef.
Speaker 2: That's even dated for our generation.
Speaker 1: That's what she says at a Sunday dinner. Let's cut the beef. I'll cut that joke because that was appalling, very sad household. I think, Yeah, the thing I was thinking was, I mean, obviously, I know he's got issues because his dad had left and this and that, but obviously he's eighteen. If he's doing his A levels and he's soon to go to UNI, I would assume I feel like that's a bit old to be doing that whole moody teenager thing, isn't it.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I suppose if the dad's left and everything, he might have just like he might have been fine, and it's sort of delayed it a little bit off, Yeah, made it come back. I don't know. We don't know how long ago the dad left. I suppose it's at least a Christmas ago. That's about all we know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, it's not a very likable character.
Speaker 2: No, I do feel I do feel for the mum a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely, like she's doing all she can.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I do you think single parent families where it's just one child must be really tricky. They could either be brilliant, you know, if it works well, they could be such an amazing team and if it doesn't, if not, it's so difficult you're stuffed. Yeah, because there's not a third person to mediate at any point or yeah, it's always one on one.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So there's a lot of nice shots of things in this, like highlighting that whole cause and effect and motion things that we've got the bird hitting the window. Yeah, poor thing.
Speaker 2: Won how much as the budget went on c G I in this bird?
Speaker 1: Was it CGI?
Speaker 2: Well? I assume it must have been.
Speaker 1: No, I don't know, I hadn't thought of that. I assumes it.
Speaker 2: Was a bird at the window.
Speaker 3: It was probably it.
Speaker 1: Could have been it could have been like a model or something.
Speaker 2: I suppose I cas other one that's flying around the lone room.
Speaker 3: Oh that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've probably phoned up birds are us and got them to bring in a bird. Yeah maybe I don't know. Yeah, No, I hadn't thought it. Didn't think it was CG.
Speaker 2: I I kind of assumed maybe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then you've got Helen spilling her to your coffee. I'm not sure which. So it's kind of they never put things like that in unless it's sort of important going to be used later, Like it's.
Speaker 2: A nod to something, may be a nod to the red herring that they're trying to sell.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but I think something that's really effective because it's such a sort of one undomb thing. If you knock a drink over and it goes everywhere, you can't undo that unless you're reversing time. Well that's what I mean. Like, yeah, so yeah, this bird has gone splat pod.
Speaker 2: It's a nice little what I assume puppet that's there on the on the grass.
Speaker 3: Yes, I guess it's a puppet.
Speaker 2: It's very sweet. That's a poor thing. Yeah, but then Steve pops up, I do think here, so what the mum reacts a little bit oddly. So we've got Bob turns up here. Steve's character picks up this bird, brings it to the house, and she then immediate lets him in and starts doing all sorts. I think I'd have had a few questions here, like why were you looking around outside of like how did you spot this? Like, m m, it seems a little bit odd.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's a bit far fetched that he happened to be outside just at that moment.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, Well I don't think it's far fetched obviously in his point of view, but for her not, Yeah, you know, exactly remotely question it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think she's a bit desperate and she's just very lonely. A man turns up on her doorstep and.
Speaker 2: Who seems really kind.
Speaker 1: Suddenly it's like, I'll come in, you know, save me from this miserable life.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's quite noticeable straight away his quirk of speech. I've found a little double tea bird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's sweet. It's strange. They don't address well, I guess you wouldn't, would you address it so quickly? But just take a while before they get to that.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's just very nice man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very nice, very sweet. So they take the bird inside to look after it.
Speaker 4: M hm.
Speaker 2: And all it wants is a cardboard box. Apparently a carbo box will.
Speaker 1: Fix it like a wet paper towel. Yeah, and yeah, I mean he's obviously very interested in Zach as soon as he comes in, you know, looking at him up the stairs and like.
Speaker 2: He already knows. Yeah, it's a weird situation that I don't know. It just feels so uncomfortable to me, like that, You've just got this stranger in your house, so especially once the bird's gone, so spoilers. The bird is fine, apparently flies off and then he's just sort of stood there and you're like, okay, now what do we do. You can't exactly just kick him out, but equally, what reason has he got to be there?
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'm just a really mean person.
Speaker 1: I think I think maybe it's a generational thing, because I think I would feel the same as you, right, But I feel like someone like Helen, you know, it's more that sort of thing. Of I don't know, like you sort of give people the benefit of the doubt and just sort of assume that they're assume everyone's a nice person unless proven otherwise. I don't know. I wouldn't.
Speaker 2: It's not so much that I think that he's bad, but it's just I just would be like, Okay, now what do we talk about. I just find it very uncomfortable on that point of view.
Speaker 1: No, I know, I think I'm the same. I just but she's I don't think she's got that worry. She's just like, here's a new person for me to get to know, sort of thing.
Speaker 2: Just that desperate for any other person, Yeah, to talk to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or just you know, the circumstance of the bird brought him in, but doesn't mean you can't then chat and find out about him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, true, true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I wouldn't. But yeah, I wouldn't even have let him in. Oh thank you, bye.
Speaker 2: Go wrap it up in your coat and go. It's saying of little things that are nods. Maybe I wonder if this is intentional or whether it's just a slip up in the script. I don't know. But when the sun turns up, Bob says, please the double E meet you. So he says the double E before the meet.
Speaker 1: Oh, he does, doesn't he?
Speaker 2: Yeah, But every other time it's afterwards. Is it meant to be some sort of very subtle thing of like I don't know that he's either messing up because he's flustered or because it's like, you know, backwards in time situation. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's the thing with recent Steve, if you never know how how clever they're being, Like, Yeah, it might be it might be that's something they put that much thought into, or it might just be the rhythm of the line sounded better yeah that way round.
Speaker 2: Or it's genuinely a fluff.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And also there's a there's a I can't remember exactly what the line is, but there's a line where he says shall and he doesn't say double l oh. So whether that was deliberate or whether that was just that would have been too jarring in that moment. But yeah, sometimes it's like dramatic license a little bit, isn't it, Because even later on in the episode, when things get serious, he stops doing it. So it's not like he has two all the time.
Speaker 3: No, it just it just helps.
Speaker 1: Him feel more comfortable to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But yeah, there's the thing where they both speak at the same time, yeah, which is well, obviously that's another nod as well. So then being the same person, yeah, spoilers, but.
Speaker 2: If you don't know already.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the fact that he then does the whole jinx thing and then he's like so seriously like, Zach, you can speak now, I no, I can, I'm not eight years old.
Speaker 2: And the way that the mom's like he's not going to introduce yourself, and the way that Bob does because it's his mum telling.
Speaker 1: Him, like, yeah, that's so true.
Speaker 2: Even he's not even thinking about it. It's just like, I introduce yourself, even if it is too for yourself.
Speaker 1: But yeah, bless m because.
Speaker 2: That is presumably is unless he's been watching from like you know, out on the street and stuff. This is the first time he's seen her in like sixty years or something. Definitely the first time he's probably spoken to her. Ye he's you know, rendering the shop or something.
Speaker 1: But which is just mind blowing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we take this opportunity to recruit him as a as a tutor for Paul. Little Zach who's not doing so well in his grades. No, and we won't let any of our tutors. Will just find the first one that says he can do it off the street because we only have twenty five minutes.
Speaker 1: So well, yeah, true, there's something that I kind of want to bring up, but I'm not sure when the right moment is all right. But so when you watched this the first time and you didn't know what was going to happen, Yeah, where were you thinking it was going?
Speaker 2: I'm really not sure I was. I think I was probably concerned it was going to be a Loves Great Adventure type story right where it's just a little family situation and it wasn't really you know, no one was going to get ill and that was it and it Yeah, so that's I think that's what I thought it was going to be, or that the Bob character was was had evil intentions as in a grooming thing. Maybe I don't know, that's see.
Speaker 1: That was what I thought of it the first time I was watching it, because the way he's so like, he seems really interested in Zach and like quite sort of yeah, creepy almost when you know he's the one that says, oh, I could chew to him, and later on he's like, oh, if I just spent more time with him, and it's just felt like everything was sort of pointing towards that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, actually, but I did.
Speaker 1: Some googling to see if anyone else had they thought that, and I couldn't find a single shred of anyone saying that. Then I was like, is it just me thinking that? But no, I mean maybe listeners, if any of you thought that, then let me know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think it was some sort of an intent. I don't know if it was necessarily that. I'm sure. I'm sure that would have crossed my mind at the time, because yeah, it must be so hard from Bob's point of view to act properly, yes, because he's got to pretend so much. Yeah, that would come second nature. Yeah, admittedly this fifty sixty years since he's met either of these people, but yeah, like you'd slip straight back into talking to her the same as you would have done, which would feel overly familiar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and when he's just talking to his younger self, like what there is no sort of correct etiquette for how you do that? Really, Like, you know, it would just be mind blowing. Wouldn't it like.
Speaker 2: You would come across as far too familiar. Yeah, because you know exactly how to talk to you, Yes, exactly, which works when both of you know, but when one of you doesn't, it comes across really weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so true.
Speaker 2: Especially when you throw on the extra level of you're not wanting them to know, so it's going to make it very odd.
Speaker 1: It feels like you're hiding something. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, it's a very.
Speaker 1: Good performance from Steve in this episode. Yeah, and I like how they have basically the same hair style, but just his is gray.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They did say on the podcast how what they could do to make them look like how close they were going to make it, and like there was a lot of things that they said they cut because they were just too obvious. You know, when they sat down at the table or whatever, they'd sit down in exactly the same way, or if they both crossed their legs at the same time or something like that, it looks too obvious. Yes, but yeah, he said things like the hair and the hair parting and yeah, having a similar sort of accent and all that kind of thing. As far as they really wanted to.
Speaker 1: Go, well, I feel like their eyes are quite similar. Maybe that's just you know, when you watch it and you know that they're the same person, your brain tries to kind of find true way. But I felt like they had quite similar eye Yeah.
Speaker 2: He said that they originally were looking for people with blue eyes because that's what Steve has, but you know, contacts were an option if necessary, and that he didn't want someone with an extremely different accent that he'd have to try and do.
Speaker 3: No, No, I think I think.
Speaker 2: They said no it was from Manchester or something, so it wasn't a million miles away from.
Speaker 3: Where he was from.
Speaker 2: Yes, that helped.
Speaker 1: So, Yes, we get another little scientific interviews with Reese, and this time we get to see him hm hm.
Speaker 2: Whig team went wild this week in clearly not a green screened room.
Speaker 1: It's it's quite something, isn't it is?
Speaker 2: Isn't it bless him doing his best Bill.
Speaker 1: Nigh, Yes, the science guy.
Speaker 2: I don't know what I thought was going on with those videos at the time.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the thing. You watch it back and they're so they're so futuristic in the background. Yeah, it's sort of as obvious, and I don't think I ever twigged at the time.
Speaker 2: I don't think I did before you were meant to. Yeah, I think that sort of gave me hope that there was something weird going.
Speaker 1: On, exactly, because otherwise, what's it there for?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that this episode was going to be more than just a little kitchen sink drama exactly. Not there's anything wrong with that, but just.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, yeah, yeah, and then we see Bob tutoring Zach.
Speaker 2: Hmm.
Speaker 1: Again. Another thing I found creepy was that they're just in his bedroom. Surely they could just do it at the kitchen table or.
Speaker 2: Something in the kitchen.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I guess they needed for plot reasons for them not to be there, of course.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, But trying to look at it from a realistic point of view, it's a bit like, yeah, a bit strange.
Speaker 2: Especially when we don't when neither of them know this.
Speaker 1: Guy exactly, you know. And then later in the episode, she kind of realizes that that, like, we don't really know who he is, and like this that was very obvious the whole time. He thought of that before he should It shouldn't take a cereal box for you to realize.
Speaker 2: That, No, she's not the best mom in some way.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so he accidentally writes the date as sixty two.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. They play off relatively well, I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that the twist at the end, well, or the way that he plays it off.
Speaker 2: He plays it off as just yes, yeah.
Speaker 1: It's a good number to choose, that it works both ways.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nice little nod for later that you'll work out. But yeah, it doesn't immediately seem weird.
Speaker 1: At the time, no, exactly. Yeah, And I just thought it was really interesting to see how Zach is so much nicer with Bob than he is with his mum. Yeah, and it's like, that's so sad that he's got all this all this venom gets directed at his mum. And actually he's quite capable of being a nice guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's quite sweet when he wants.
Speaker 1: To be exactly like, he really gets on well with Bob. And obviously they're the same person, so makes.
Speaker 2: Sense, but I assume they would.
Speaker 1: But again, when you don't know what's going on, it's a bit like, oh, he's got on with this person very well, very quickly. Right, Yeah, it's interesting.
Speaker 2: For an element of a like father missing father figure, absolutely, yeah, like replacement thing. And so I guess as well, like his mum, I imagine I'm not you know, I'm guessing isn't particularly up on sciencey stuff, so he probably can't talk to about any of this kind of thing, and there is a bit of a barrier there, Yeah, that he car't expresses his hobbies and his you know things, he enjoys doing schoolwork and all that kind of stuff. And then he's got someone that can. Yeah, so he probably would connect with them quite quickly, I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we get the little tattoo and his arm highlighted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel that was a little clunkily done personally. I think I think Bob could have seen that. You could have shown Bob seeing it a bit more.
Speaker 1: Really and just suddenly mention it. Oh yeah, I happened to notice.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also, is it a bit of a weird thing to just have a tattoo of your own name on your arm? Yeah, right, in case you forget it.
Speaker 2: You forget. It's the same that the people that get the date of birth and Roman numerals tattooed in case you forget and also just can't remember Arabic numerals like you have to have it in Roman. But yeah, and he says it's because he just did it to piss the mum off. It's like, well, I think i'd have gone more extreme if that was the just have your own name written on you Yeah, I don't know, skull and crossbones or something if you like, yeah, I don't know your own name. Presumably he's had to go somewhere to have this done, unless he's just scratched it in himself. Like, and I like to think that the tattoo studio would firstly go you're not old enough, and secondly go, really that's what you want, Like, I know they shouldn't be judgy, but equally, yeah, your own name on your forearm?
Speaker 1: Is are you sure?
Speaker 2: You're really sure?
Speaker 1: Is it not eighteen? You have to be to it might be?
Speaker 2: It probably is, Actually I imagine he's only just eighteen though, Yeah, but you might have had it recently. I guess. Yeah, it looks like it's not munew though, no, who knows. Yeah, maybe had him reaching over for something and yeah, exactly, yeah it being pulled back or whatever. Yeah, yeah, because then he pulls his sleeve back to show it. So it's like, how did Bob see it? Anyway?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: Yes, like I know that in Bob's mind, he'll be doing that to set it up for later, so that he's got because he gets interrupted this point by the mum. So whether he was just about to say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was going to ask that, do we think he was actually about to spill the beans or I expect so yeah, yeah, because I wondered if it was that or if it was just a not not revealing who he really is, but but maybe trying to encourage him to be a bit nicer to his mum.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he's saying here how much he hates the mom at this point, m and you can see the pain which was really her Yeah for Bob, bless him.
Speaker 1: Turns out that she's she's cooked for them and including Bob. Yeah, he can stay for dinner?
Speaker 2: Yeah, why not? I guess we don't know how much time has passed at this point as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we get that. We presume that this is their first tutoring session, but it might not be. I guess no.
Speaker 1: But yeah, he's it's sort of like he's become a bit of a family friend. Yeah, and you know, knowing how Zach was with his mom, you sort of would expect him to be a bit like instantly just hate him, mm hmm. But he sort of becomes like, oh, you know, Bob's great, like yeah.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, like you said, shared interests and.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly, and he gives him his time and attention, yeah, which you know, Helen just doesn't really know how to do or isn't able to.
Speaker 2: No. I do wonder how long it is since the dad's gone. I did originally assume it was ages ago, but now I'm thinking maybe not. If the mom's like you'd think you'd have grown to understand how to deal with him. If it was it was a long time ago.
Speaker 1: If I had to say, I'd probably guess maybe a couple of years, yeah, two or three years maybe.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So he wants him to do some homework and look at the Grand National races and pick a winner based on the physics. Yeah, because of course that must be doable.
Speaker 2: And here we finally get asking what the deal is with the double letters?
Speaker 1: Yes, and it's.
Speaker 2: Just as he does to keep to calm himself down. I guess, yeah, mild OCD says, I spent first rewatch night trying to work out if there are any three letter words, and remembering if there was any point in the episode he said triple something, but I don't think there is in English.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, I was going to say, I can't think of a triple that's a word.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think there are any unless you have like.
Speaker 3: Hyphened yeah, like yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And the fact that they made him a bookkeeper, just so that you have to say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love that devlicatably.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she actually makes quite a good joke for G and T. Like she's quite quick thinking considering she's quite tipsy. Anyway, you can have double.
Speaker 3: G and T.
Speaker 2: Or is it a joke that she's been working on for weeks? Probably, Yeah, she's finally pucked up the courage to ask him about it. I'm going to dwn well use my joke.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Yeah, but yeah, she is getting a bit a bit tipsy and obviously embarrassing Zach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be so awkward to be him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because she is being a bit flirty.
Speaker 2: Yeah as well, nowhere near as awkwards it is for Bob exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the whole back to the future.
Speaker 2: Back to the future. Yeah, because like she touches his hand and he initially seems doesn't doesn't think like that. Yeah. As to him, I guess it's probably the first time his mum's ever touched him in like fifty sixty years exactly. Yeah, and then he realizes what.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's not appropriate, no, he So it's interesting, you know, they're talking about the Maldo CD and then Helen says it's similar with her clicks that they make her feel better, but just that, but he doesn't want me to have them. Yeah, and that is the big trigger for Zach to storm off and be like, oh fux sake. I don't really get why that was the moment that really tips him over the edge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess it's is it Is it the mom like trying to get Bob on side, when Zach's finally thought he's got someone on his side.
Speaker 1: I think that's possibly what I felt. Yeah, it was almost like she was trying to gang up on him or something. Yeah, because I would be if I was Zach, I would be annoyed in that situation. I'd be like, shut up, like.
Speaker 2: Exactly, So, yes, runs out, you need to get away from here before we accidentally we write time early.
Speaker 1: So we get more Reese again. Yes, very science fiction set. The background, as we.
Speaker 2: Said, with his little toys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, I love those Newton's Cradle thing. I think it's called My grandparents neighbor used to have one of those, and I just remember being a very young child and just loving going around there because they had quite a close relationship and needs to go around there and just love playing with that thing and watching the balls. Maybe the man I am today watching those bulls swinging.
Speaker 2: Oh dear, I saw a video. I think it's from your favorite play that you keep mentioning the such and such and such and such a dead people. Yeah, that's the one. They have a bit with Newton's Cradle.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, giant, yes, yes, yes, I.
Speaker 2: Saw that on ticked out recently and made me think of you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They added a load of those bits in for the film with Gary Oldman.
Speaker 2: Oh it was Gary Oldman. Oh yeah I can see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, very funny.
Speaker 2: Hm hmm.
Speaker 1: So yeah, as we said, she finds a cereal box and upside down, we've got calculators writing bliss.
Speaker 2: Now, maybe I'm being thick here? What's going on here?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: Are we meant to think that old Zach has turned.
Speaker 1: Up without having thought of a without.
Speaker 2: Having thought of a name, seen a box upside down with very all writing and gone that works and taking it.
Speaker 1: I assume that's what it's meant to be, all.
Speaker 2: In the space for about three seconds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like the looking at the newspaper, don't faire dear?
Speaker 2: At least that was a headline though. Yeah, a barcode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very much a stretch. It's a lot because considering, like we said, how much is at stake and how much you'd have to sort of plan. And he's not an idiot that you wouldn't think of a pseudonym before you went.
Speaker 2: He's invented time travel, like I'm sure you'd have thought of things like this at least come up with a name.
Speaker 1: Maybe he came up with a name and then he saw Bob Bliss and he thought, oh, that's better. I'm going with that.
Speaker 2: Maybe, But yeah, I remember watching that thinking, God, good, something really weird's happening here. I'm much more invested now.
Speaker 1: Yes, he's not sure, he says he is no.
Speaker 2: And also, you know, there's something bigger than this going on, like how is his name got into a barcode? Like, oh, I don't think I even realized that point he just read it off there, because I didn't even have time to read it, let alone think about it. Okay, but I'll let them off. I'd rather it be like I don't know the name of the mascot on the cereal box or something, you know, Tony Tiger. Yeah, yeah, and snap, crackle and or pop.
Speaker 1: So going from the hilarious to the emotional.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: Helen has a phone call from the hospital. Yeah, they need to see her today.
Speaker 2: Clearly not good news.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel so sorry for her.
Speaker 2: Hmmm.
Speaker 1: And Zach comes in and he's actually in quite a good mood.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's nice, seem happy. Yeah, they're like they're like ships, Like neither of them are ever going in the right direction exactly. Yeah, it's gutting, m They just need more moments where they're both happy. Yeah, and it would just turn it all around, But they just always happened to be ones in the wrong headspace.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So Bob's won nearly two pounds on the Grand National and he wants to give Zach half for UNI. Yeah, and I'm like, well, that's not going to go very far given tuition fees these days, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, very true. That's not even that's barely a term, isn't it. Yeah, it's not. No, it's not. Yeah, Yeah, I have to give back to old three three grand years.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, but this is the thought that counts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we meant to presume that he just did this because he knows who won that.
Speaker 3: Grand because you would, wouldn't you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean I wouldn't. I wouldn't remember anything. But I saw a Hannah Fry Yeah, yeah, yeah, you've seen her podcast that she does. It's her and some other scientists that just talk about sciencey things. Yes, And they had an episode on time travel and they had the quite interesting thought experiment of if you would just suddenly, with no prior warning, teleported into the past, how what would you do if you had to to convince them that you were from the future. Yeah, like, how could you do that? Because ninety nine point nine percent of things, you could say the more realistic thing, and then someone's head would be well, you're clever, or you're lucky or whatever.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even if you could bet on every single game, every single horse race and get it right and someone and people just think, well, you're just really lucky, or you've rigged it or whatever.
Speaker 1: I suppose the flip side of that question is what would some have to say to you today to convince you that they're from the future. Well, exactly right, Yeah, what would what would you believe?
Speaker 2: And they said, obviously you can do things like you know land in two thousand and one, you can tell them about the pandemic that's going to happen, but you won't know for twenty years. No, Like, what's the thing that you could say that could prove quickly?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And also obviously if you tell them things, you might change stuff. Yeah, so you've got to have something that, no matter what you say, will always happen. Yes, So they were saying things like, if you went to nineteen if you ended up in nineteen fifty, you could tell them the exact coordinates of the Titanic for example, Oh right, yeah, you know exactly where it is in the present day. In the past they didn't know.
Speaker 1: But if you've just like you said, just been teleported back with no warning, I don't know the coordinates of the Titanic.
Speaker 2: So true, but if you'd have to use modern knowledge of things that were lost but yeah, yet being refound. Yeah, from thought experiment.
Speaker 1: It's very Yeah, I love thinking about that stuff. Yeah, listeners, let us know what you would say to convince him. So, yes, all of a sudden, given the serial packet, Helen is suddenly very anti Bob.
Speaker 2: I guess at this point she's just really realized what she's done. Yes, it all hits her in a second. Yeah, oh god, who is this man?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I don't know what she's thinking. Maybe she's now going down the grooming maybe angle. Maybe she's thinking, know it's something dodgy like that or whatever it is.
Speaker 2: I mean, this man that's been hanging out with her son has suddenly offered him a load of money.
Speaker 1: Yes, doesn't exactly look good, No it doesn't.
Speaker 2: It's one thing, you know, here have fifty quid for your birthday. It's another thing here of a grand Admittedly he did just win it like it wasn't you know his money as such, but still m.
Speaker 1: But yes, obviously you know eighteen year old Zach he's just been told he's going to have a thousand pounds. His mom said, No, he's not gonna be happy about that.
Speaker 2: No, no, she's not saying why she's not happy with him.
Speaker 1: But still she's got a lot on her mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she already had a lot on her mind and then she got that on top of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this is a great scene, isn't it. The argument escalates and he thinks that his dad is going to pay for him to go to Union Singapore, Yeah, which she just laughs at because he's obviously not very reliable.
Speaker 2: No, he's got with all sorts of things in the past, all accounts.
Speaker 1: And like, this is a bit that gets me is when he says he shouts her and says, at least he believes in me, because it's like he doesn't see that his mum does believe in him. But I think she does, but she's just she has a different way. She she's the cautious, realistic one and gets made out to be the crusher of dreams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's tough to suck.
Speaker 1: And yeah, it really escalates and he calls her a fucking bitch and then oh my god, I mean it's awful but quite satisfying, isn't it.
Speaker 2: He has earned it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not surprised at all, like, given as we know everything's going on in her life. And then he's so ungrateful when she's saying about you know, I wash, I clean I do all this for you, and he just throws all back in her face.
Speaker 2: And we've all been there, We've all been kids that don't appreciate your parents, like we don't know everything they do. But obviously it hurts when it's just her doing it all getting nothing. At least, if you've got a partner there that's saying, you know, a well done on they can carry up from the school or whatever, like you know, I don't know, like little things that you get, you get that bit of feedback that would make you feel like you're doing something worthwhile. Yeah, but if you're getting none of that, no.
Speaker 1: It's quite a thankless Yeah. But yeah, again we feel we don't we don't despise her for hitting him because she's all immediately apologetic. Yeah, and she immediately realizes she's crossed the line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we know obviously why she's exactly Yeah, and obviously, like you say, she handles it so perfect as perfectly as she can afterwards. Yeah, once she's realized what she's done. Yeah, but too little, too late for Zach and he starms off.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel Noah does such a good job acting Zach here, like there's a little face no he's a little handshakes and he's so scared and shocked and everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because that's the thing with a parent, isn't it. It's like they're sort of they're a rock and they're like an immovable object and like you as a as a moody teenager, you can shout at them and they're gonna be in an ideal world, They're going to be that boundary for you and they'll always be there. And so when she shows her sort of quote unquote weakness of you know, snapping and slapping him, Yeah, it's like it's quite a bit t ale for him. It's almost like, oh, that you're not supposed to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, he never he would never have considered that was an option. No, And the way he reacts that's never happened before.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I'm sure everyone watching it felt very much on her side.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it's a bit later in the evening.
Speaker 2: M hmm.
Speaker 1: She's been out for quite some time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's gone off and done something. I've actually probably gone to a pub or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably gone for a walk.
Speaker 2: And Bob turns up.
Speaker 1: With flowers, with flowers, her favorite yellow roses, which.
Speaker 2: Does show that Zach does care like that, he knows, he knows, and he remembers, like as an adult, but that's what her favorite flowers were. So he was paying attention to the kid. Yeah, which is sweet.
Speaker 1: It's very clever with the you know that. Again, it works from the creepy point of view of how does he know so much about them? Has he been watching them and stalking them?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And this point Zach works that out, like yeah, what are you doing? How do you know these things? Yeah?
Speaker 1: So yeah, as if he hadn't seemed creepy enough, he then follows that up to his bedroom.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, that's just weird. And the way it was all that now, I was like, yeah, I think I think I probably did assume it was where you said it was going, with.
Speaker 1: Him lying on the bed and then like, if you haven't got any inkling of of a sort of sci fi plot or anything, yeah, that's very much sort of what where it feels it's going. It's like he's he's there alone now in the house, and it's like, what's going to happen?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the mom's been driven off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but twist time, it is not awful like that. No, Thankfully, he reveals that he is a time traveler. Yeah, he's Zach from the future. Yeah, Zach to the future.
Speaker 2: But literally just putting that together in my head as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he clicked at the same time. Yeah, and the revelation about sixty two being where he came from. Yeah, it's a great moment, I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the tattoo and everything. Yeah, at no point in the next fifty years has he got that tattoo removed. No, forty years or whatever.
Speaker 1: And also, I mean it's not really a great proof, is it, Like he could have just gone and got tattoo of Zach on his arm, right, Yeah, it's a bit like that going off on a tangent. But in Doctor Who, when the doctor's trying to prove to Martha that he can travel in time and he goes into the tartis and takes his tie off and comes back out, It's like, wow, anyone could do that.
Speaker 2: The disappearing box quite impressive. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, yes, he's come back based to convince his younger self to be nicer to his mum and spend time with her before she dies because time's ticking.
Speaker 2: It's clearly on his biggest regret. Yeah, and that you didn't know early enough to be able to do anything about it. Zach does buy it very quickly. But I guess, like I keep saying, twenty five minutes, we don't have time for a big argument and a discussion and things. But yeah, so he's explaining all this. I love that. Like you said earlier, he doesn't he doesn't do the double letters and sacks like he didn't do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, we've got Helen back downstairs breaking down with a glass of wine.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, But then there's this strange mobile phone ringing.
Speaker 2: Which future sci fi phone looks like.
Speaker 1: A Nokia from the two thousands and yet has a ring tone which is supposed to sound sort of futuristic, And it's like, what maybe that Yeah, it's like a futuristic device they put into a shell of a Nokia to disguise it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I not thought of that. Yeah. Or it's just that fashion goes round in circles and that got back to your style.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but Rye's character Rudolph, we didn't mention it was called.
Speaker 2: Rudolph, Rudolphe, a name that befits the hair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so is the idea that he is speaking from the future. I guess, So he hasn't traveled back as well, has he? So he must be speaking somehow down the.
Speaker 2: Line from the current future. Yeah, yes, because at this point nothing's changed.
Speaker 1: God, it all gets very confusing now.
Speaker 2: It does. It rapidly gets confusing. Here in the podcast they said this is a point they originally had the plot being that Rudolph called up to say, you know, beware of this man. Bob thinks he's a time travel or he's my patient. Oh I see, and that it wasn't he isn't Zach was the original plot.
Speaker 1: There would go, oh, that was actually going to be the real plot.
Speaker 2: See, yeah, I guess then maybe in that case have made it a bit more obvious that it's a time travel thing, and you'd think that's where you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're gone the other way around with it, because also that could have been a nice like ploy for him, you know, he really is a time traveler. But then Rudolph's on the phone saying he thinks he is, but he's not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, easy way to discredit him.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah. And then shot there's a gunshot. Yeah, so he shot himself.
Speaker 2: Yes, I assume so, yeah, which I have questions about I have questions about that, so I can understand if his argument if obviously he's him, so he wouldn't know how he would think his thought that if he does this, it will push him and his mum together and make them emotionally bond.
Speaker 1: Over it maybe.
Speaker 2: Maybe, which it does, like they do start crying into each other's arms, and yeah, or is it that you know he can't be around because that courses.
Speaker 1: Paradox is that it's going to change.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but if that was the case, would you just disappear?
Speaker 1: You think?
Speaker 2: So, why does he have to go through presumably the terrifying thing of shooting.
Speaker 1: By logic, Yeah, it is a bit weird.
Speaker 2: It is weird. Plus plus you're then leaving your younger self and mum to have to deal with a dead body. Oh god, Yeah, I mean admitted, like you probably would be able to explain all this to the police, but still, like that's presumably putting them through a lot of court time.
Speaker 1: Trauma of it as well.
Speaker 2: The trauma.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and especially if Zak you know, believes this to be the truth, that he's just essentially watched version of his future self for himself. Yeah, that's awful.
Speaker 2: And he's presumably that I end up with countless hours of police interviews and yeah, all sorts of but that's not relevant to the part.
Speaker 1: So I don't really know why he had to shoot himself. No, you could have just, like you say, just disappeared.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Possibly, And would that have even worked better, Like for her to run upstairs and they'd just be Zach in this room and his own and he just bursts into tears and like he's just watched this guy vanishing from here. Yeah, yeah, and he can't explain it. Yeah, and he'll think he's going mad or something. I guess, I don't know. Yeah, But would he disappear? I don't know here I get confused on It depends on which rule of time travel were going on, and exactly exactly would he not just yeah, because he's not come back, So he would disappear because he wouldn't have come back in the first place, which then obviously means he wouldn't have henitd the impact on it, which then means it wouldn't have happened, which means he would have done. But anyway, there's a great quote from Reese in the podcast. None of it matters.
Speaker 4: I think you'll probably watch it and just buy it, because that's what you do with time travel stories. You accept that it exists as an idea. You don't go if you want, if you're a fucker, you can unpick it all if you want to, but you have to and you could just enjoy it for what it is.
Speaker 1: I think, I think I agree that you do. You just have to accept it. But at the same time it can be fun sometimes to try and it can and pick these things a bit.
Speaker 2: Plus. Also, I'm fine with if you just say time travel exists, but when you use the effects of time travel for the story, yes, then it has to stole up to some scrutiny. Yeah, you can't just go, oh, well it works.
Speaker 1: Otherwise it's just what's the point.
Speaker 2: There's no stakes at all.
Speaker 1: It's just whatever you want the plot to be exactly. And you know, I've talked about this on my other podcast about Doctor Who. But like you've got the different like you're saying, the different rules of time travel, different types of time travel and sort of ones where it's like a closed loop and things are just the way they always have been. So if the future gets changed, then it was always changed. Yeah, But then there's the other ways where yeah, the other the other ways where someone changes the future and then everything's.
Speaker 2: Different, ripples back. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's where it gets. The problem is you try and have both those types of things in the same story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in doctor's case, you have them one week, one the other. Yeah, exactly, depending on who's writing it and what I needed to do. Yes, So we we flashed forward to the twenty sixties, same house, the art department's been in, the redest got out the spray paint, the white white spray gun.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's a I mean, it's obviously deliberate, but very cheesy sort of yeah, sci fi thing, isn't it. Yeah, So we've in this timeline, We've just had Helen's funeral and turns out that in this event, she died at the age of ninety three. Yep, so she was able to survive longer because of a cancer serum that Zach invented.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because of what happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this is a change timeline. So this is this has changed because of Zach going back like.
Speaker 2: Zach older zach A going back to young zach A has caused old Zach b yeah this point. Yeah, Yeah, we need a chalkboard.
Speaker 1: But yes, I know, I spent so much time earlier trying to work it out, and now I'm looking back at my notes and I'm thinking, I don't I'm not sure this makes sense.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it does. So then you've got Rudolph b who is net is working.
Speaker 1: So can I just ask so the version of Zach that we see in this scene, yes, has he been back in time yet or has that not happened yet? Yeah, that's what I thought. He hasn't done it yet, and so that's why when he gets killed at the end, it changes again because he doesn't get the opportunity to go back.
Speaker 2: That's what I took it as yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that older Zach in White has never time.
Speaker 1: Traveled, yes, and he now and now he never will because exactly Rudolf kills him. Yeah presumably, except except then it's going to change things again.
Speaker 2: So well, yeah, yeah, that was gonna be a big point at the end. I think this is it's like it's a loop. Yeah, it's like a like a figure of eight loop.
Speaker 1: It's two times that just alternate, isn't it? And so yeah, which one is the real one? Well both, Yeah, multiple parallel universes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's one timeline runs through, then the other timeline runs through, then back to the start. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Very interesting. So I mean, yeah, we've got to bring up this bit that I'm pretty sure you will have issues with the same as I did. All right, the email, the video email.
Speaker 2: But somehow transcends time.
Speaker 3: What the fuck?
Speaker 2: It's a great email provider that can do this. Yeah, yeah, I don't know how that works, but it's we just have to go with it.
Speaker 1: And literally next then in brackets, I just put wtf.
Speaker 2: Yeah they said they spent ages trying to work this out and make it make sense enough that you don't have to have yeah issue, because.
Speaker 1: How could he possibly find out? You know, any of us could have been living a completely different life in another timeline and we just never know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's it's it's as if like the timeline like collapses, like the world starts getting shaky or whatever, and then fizzles out and he's gone. Just before it's done, that he's sent this emergency email. Yes, because somehow he knows the world's ending. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Just yeah, that very much strikes me as like we're at minute twenty eight. Mm.
Speaker 3: Hmmm, we've got.
Speaker 1: To sort of make this work, like yeah, yeah again.
Speaker 2: Another original idea they had was that it was more if time gets rewritten for someone, what's to fall out on other people? And it's how it's going to ruin other people's lives?
Speaker 1: Oh exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the thought of imagining a future where like and yes, in the future where time travel exists, like the very rich people could go back, have people very meticulously go back and change time for them, And what would happen if some to all the people that just become the collateral for that?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, yeah, yeah, there's some big ideas there that hmm. Yeah, they wouldn't have time to explore.
Speaker 2: No, that's the same with these things. Yeah, but yeah, can we have two seconds on the gun? Awesome sci fi gun? I love it? Why do sci fi futuristic things always look so.
Speaker 1: Nah, it's hilarious, isn't it?
Speaker 2: They never looked believable? Yeah, bless I'm sorry prop man that made that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, like with the white minimalism thing, I think and it was just like we want to we want to make it very sort of shorthand like let's just go with it. Yeah, sort of thing. Yeah. Yeah, it's like that nineteen fifties thing where they're all upset with futurism and what they've expected the future to look like, and that image is sort of stuck with us to this day, like Jetson's sort of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's certain element of actual science develops a thing that exists in sci fi, soort of just makes it look like the thing in sci fi that it came from exactly. Yeah, Like flip phones were designed to look like the communicators from Star Trek, for example. Yeah, and there's loads of things like that. I can't think any off the top of my head, but didn't you exist?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like the Telly screens in nineteen eighty four that predated the sort of you know what we have now zoom calls and everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So Rudolph kills Zach. We assume yes.
Speaker 2: Because this so this is Rudolph B that's life has been screwed over because Zach a time travel changed the future. Now Rudolph never met him, didn't do well in science, and became doctor Brad the science man. On Youku they said that they liked they thought that by this point in the future, China would have taken over the Internet.
Speaker 1: That makes sense.
Speaker 2: YouTube would have been subsumed by you thought. And yeah, so he's somehow emailed himself that's crossed over to this timeline. He's now what in revenge? Don't know how he thinks that killing. Oh yes, so he's going to kill Zach b steal the time travel device that Zach a brought with him. Oh yeah, try and travel back to stop him doing all of this. Yeah, is how I read it. Yeah, because he left it under his bed.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yes, yes, it's very it's a.
Speaker 2: Very portable time machine, which is.
Speaker 1: But you know, supposing Rudolph hadn't intervened at this point, Yeah, Zach would never have had any had any reason to go back in time because everything was how it worked should be for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he didn't have any regrets that drove.
Speaker 1: It, No, exactly.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, they have a fight. Presume we assume here that Bob gets shot, Rudolph does everything he said he was going to do, and presumably then stops Bob stealing the equipment in the future once the discovery has been made. How he then tells that I don't know, but anyway, we'll just assume that happens. Bird still flies into window, but there's no Bob to save it with a cardboard box.
Speaker 1: No until well exactly, time runs its course again and we go back around to the beginning.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so that timeline plays out as normal, Helen dies, younger Zach grows up into older Zac that develops, time travel goes back. That's the episode from scratch. Yeah, and magic email makes it all happen.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's that's the weakest point for me.
Speaker 2: They just had to have a way of he had to know how else you do it?
Speaker 3: How you do it?
Speaker 1: It is crazy.
Speaker 2: I like the idea that he just always felt he was his life was wrong. And you can say, I suppose in this version of reality that when time gets changed you can feel it somehow. I don't see how that's a problem. But yeah, to literally have an email video from yourself. Yeah, but it's the future. Who knows that's true. I suppose I suppose in fairness this rudolph A has invented time travel. So has he just invented some form of email that works with time travel?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: But why not say that he's foreseen a version where he needs where timelines would branch, and he needs to communicate between them. Yes, who knows?
Speaker 1: Shall we rate it?
Speaker 2: Why not? You go first?
Speaker 1: Okay, I do quite enjoy it, but I don't think it's quite up there with stronger one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think my instinct is saying a six out of nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was thinking a six as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's fair, I agree. Oh God, here we go, Here we go.
Speaker 2: Did you spot the hair?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Every time you do that, I'm like, oh, always maybe going to say yes.
Speaker 1: The thing is I was looking. I was. I was paying really close attention to this episode because I was thinking, next week, we've got a quiz. I just know you're going to be asking me some ridiculously anal question like ll name every appliance that they have in the kitchen, and I'll just be sitting there like, oh god, was there a toaster? Is there a freezer?
Speaker 2: Fuck off?
Speaker 1: No, you're not that bad, but yes, you know me so well. So No, long story short, I did not spot the.
Speaker 2: Hair, No fair, I spotted it by chance. It's in sex bedroom. It's on his chest of drawers. Okay, thanks for some trophies and things. Fair enough, speaking of hers, did you just put us? We will tell you next week where it was.
Speaker 1: We shall double l and I mentioned at the start of the episode that we're recording on our one year anniversary of our first episode. We did a post about that on social media, and we've got some really lovely comments in from listeners, so I just wanted to share a couple of those. We actually a couple of people said called us their favorite podcast, and I was like, that's a huge honor to be anyone's favorite podcast. Thank you, so thank you for that.
Speaker 2: I do hope you listened to more than one, but yeah, yeah, that's a slightly hollow victory otherwise.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, thank you.
Speaker 1: True Yaz says Happy birthday, nightth degree. Thank you for bringing so much joy to my Tuesdays and for listening to our Easter egg spotting rantsom theories. Leona said, Happy ninth degree Day. Such a great podcast. Always great to listen to people who have so much love and support for Insundumber nine. As many people have probably said, you make Tuesdays enjoyable. Oh and I was thinking it just suddenly struck me that with Tuesday being our day, we should we should have made our sign off at the end of episodes. See you next Tuesday. And Reese would love that.
Speaker 2: I missed opportunity. Oh there was the one that said that we should celebrate with Dairly triangles on digestives.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that is a great idea. If I had digestives or daily and I would have done that, But I didn't.
Speaker 2: Me neither.
Speaker 1: Yeah sad, but yeah, I would be less inclined to try the spaghetti hoops in salad cream like a frazzles mixed in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not doing that.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah that sounds a bit less appetizing a little bit.
Speaker 2: I think the daily triangles are digestive, might be a bit bland, but they won't be awful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there'd be at least yeah yeah, and perhaps a mango smoothie.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well we will be back with the finale wise Owl next week.
Speaker 1: We will, But for now, I think it's time to close the door double o or number nine.
Speaker 2: But you never really double our leave, do you.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to the Ninth Degree. If you'd like to get in touch, you can find us on Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok at ninth Degree Pod, or email us at ninth Degree Pod at gmail dot com. You can also leave us a rating or a review, wherever you get your podcasts,