Speaker 1: Hello, I'm Danielle and I'm Megan, and welcome to our podcast Off the Trails, where we'll be sharing stories of mystery and missus venture that all take place in the outdoors.
Speaker 2: And this week we'll be Danielle's turn to share a story with us. All Right, how are you today? I've been better. It's been a week. It has been a week. Yeah, So for our listeners, we started off our Monday strong by Andrew getting in a very bad car accident on his way to work. So luckily he's okay. The truck is not, but that doesn't matter because he's here and that's that's the most important thing. But it definitely has kind of turned everything upside down. My nerves are still shot. I've got some crazy emotions happening. So that's that's this week. How's yours? I mean, my week started out with your week? I just it?
Speaker 3: Did I just get the text message that you were, you know, getting in the car and about to drive two hours because Andrew was in an accident. And then of course I had to drive in that terrible rain on my ride to work, and my vehicle started a hydroplane and like, don't break, don't do anything, And then I spent the first like two hours of my day literally just checking your location every five because I'm like, I need to know that you made it to wherever he was. And then I was gonna be like, all right, at least she's there. I can stop worrying about that for you.
Speaker 2: As infuriated with the Boston traffic, as I was just watching my little dot not move.
Speaker 3: Yes, I was like, is this not updating? Or is she just sitting here still?
Speaker 2: And oh, I was just sitting there, and then I can do August two hour drive to the hospital.
Speaker 3: I continued to creep your location later because then I was like, I didn't want to be texting you like for updates when I didn't know If you knew how he was, would I want to be like ask all these questions and you'd be like, I don't know. So I was like, I will just be patient, but I will continue to check her location to see when they leave the hospital, because you know, that would be a good indicator that you know he was okay, because I knew you wouldn't leave without him.
Speaker 2: But then I was like, what are they doing on the side of the road.
Speaker 3: In Lakeville And a few minutes later, I'm like, now they're on the other side of this same part of the road, in the same place.
Speaker 2: What are they doing?
Speaker 3: So you're in route back at north. I was like, all right, I'll just wait till after the workday to get updates.
Speaker 2: That was a nice little intermission to try and locate his phone and wallet and everything that came out of a truck. So after we left the place that it was towed to, we looked in. There was really not a whole lot left in there, so we tried to find it based on the location of his phone, and we could not find it. We kept going back and forth on that highway and could not find it. So his new phone came in today, luckily enough. All Right, things are moving along.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, like getting better, but I don't know if that's true.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, it's been a week.
Speaker 3: Last week I felt very scattered, like I got nothing accomplished workwise. I felt like I got nothing accomplished home, and then yesterday I was like, all right, I feel good. And then today, as I was leaving the office, I told my boss that I hated everyone, and everyone pissed me off today.
Speaker 2: So Wednesday, happy Wednesday.
Speaker 3: Happy Wednesday. I have no tolerance for anyone. Apparently got a couple more days to hold it together. So but I feel like it's been a very long time since we recorded.
Speaker 2: It feels like forever, but it's been two weeks, but it does feel like much longer. And we do apologize for skipping last week.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, I had like a scratchy throat last week, and I was like, all right, like maybe like a day or two it'll be better, and then it actually got worse, and then we rolled into this week and with chaos. So here we are, all right. So before I get into my story, I would like to talk a little bit about the Appalachian Trail, Oh, my favorite so I have also I mean, obviously I lived in New England. People always refer to it here as the Appalation Trail, but I've also heard a lot of videos or people referring to it as the Appalachian Trail.
Speaker 2: Proper pronunciation. I don't know, because I googled pronunciation as one does, and the Google lady told me Appalation. Well, the region is like Appalachia, right, so right that Appalachian Mountains is more What word am I looking for?
Speaker 3: Correct, accurate.
Speaker 2: I don't know, yes exactly.
Speaker 3: So I will just be using the New England pronunciation.
Speaker 2: I guess, and it may be wrong, but I don't want to be right, or you could just be neutral and just you know, to be diplomatic. I will be referring to it from here on out as the AT.
Speaker 3: In my writing, it all says the AT. But when I like pre read out loud to myself, I kept wanting to say ET. I'm like, I'm going to screw this up. So if I say ET, I actually hate ET.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I was never a huge fan of that.
Speaker 3: That move creeps me out. Even as an adult. I see ET and I'm like, no, thank you.
Speaker 2: It's a weird one. Okay, buckle up.
Speaker 3: We're going to talk about the Appellation Trail before.
Speaker 2: I get into my store.
Speaker 3: The Appilation Trail is over twenty one hundred miles long, running through fourteen states from Georgia to Maine. The length of the trail is now managed by the AT Conservancy, National Park Service, US Forest Service, plus many more agencies and organizations, but originally it was started by private citizens. Going back to nineteen twenty one. There are a variety clubs that help maintain portions of the trail along with the help of volunteers. So not only does a ton of work go into hiking the Appllation Trail, but there's an endless amount of work that goes into keeping the trail well maintained, safe, and accessible. According to the National Park Service website, there are thirty one trail maintaining clubs dedicated to keeping the at in its best condition. So when talking about huge hiking trails like the Appalation Trail, the Pacific Crest Trail, or the Continental Divide Trail, usually hear people either section hiking or through hiking. Section hiking is pretty straightforward. Someone hikes sections of the larger trail over time, and they might complete the trail over the course of several hiking seasons or maybe even over our lifetime. Through hiking also sounds straightforward, hiking end to end in a single trip, but some hikers also do what's called a flip flop hike. Instead of starting for this example, the Appalation Trail, instead of starting in Georgia and head a north to Maine or vice versa, people start somewhere in the middle, hike to one end, and then head back to where they started. I guess by plane and then hike the opposite direction to complete the full trail.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's weird way to do it, but.
Speaker 3: It's still considered through hiking if you do it all in one trip, I guess. So benefits of the flip flop hike can be hitting areas when the weather might be more mild, as well as missing out on some of the crowds in the beginning of the season because most people do start.
Speaker 2: At one end or the other.
Speaker 3: Oh. I think it's probably kind of like the gym in January. You get in there January second and it.
Speaker 2: Is just like packed.
Speaker 3: But by the time you get to February, you know, there's not quite so many people. You know, you get a couple of states in and it's like, well, everybody else is kind of dropped off.
Speaker 2: That's a good analogy.
Speaker 3: Because thousands of people attempt to hike the Appolation Trail every year, but only about twenty five percent succeed, which might be still a better rate than people that are still going to the dinner at the end of the year.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Probably, so typically it takes people five to seven months to do the entire eighty some people who are apparently superhuman fast hikers have done it in less than fifty days.
Speaker 2: We were talking about that on our hike on Saturday, like, how do you as a human just through hike the eight And I think, what is it? Like forty five days? I think, I tell the record's like forty three days. Forty three Oh my god, Like that's incredible. To be honest, I think it has taken me longer to like fully put away a load of laundry on occasion, like forty three days.
Speaker 3: That's amazing to do twenty one undred, oh almost twenty two hundred miles.
Speaker 2: Right, I don't I can't even fathom that.
Speaker 3: No, So seriously, good on those people. If you're one of those people, I'm beyond impressed, honestly.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 3: There have been about one hundred recorded deaths since the completion of the trail in nineteen thirty seven, which is actually a low number when you consider the popularity, distance and the amount of time it takes to hike the whole length, I mean, plus the terrain it's very rough in some areas. So only one hundred deaths, that's really not not that bad.
Speaker 2: No, And.
Speaker 3: I will revisit this at some point. But some of those one hundred recorded deaths were were homicides.
Speaker 2: I believe.
Speaker 3: I really did well keeping myself focused, but I did see that there were some homicides. I believe in the seventies there was like a serial killer down south along the trail, and I was like, no, stay focused on what you're researching today.
Speaker 2: Don't get distracted.
Speaker 3: So at some point I will revisit that, and we cannot discuss some of those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are three kind of more recent and probably on the more prominent side of some of those deaths, more specifically homicides on the trail that I actually have in the queue. Oh and coincidentally enough, my story next week is one of them. Oh, how did did we did not know that? We? We did not know this?
Speaker 3: All right, so we're on the same brain path. Yes, okay, So, according to the National Park Service, an average year sees two to three hikers go missing along the Applation Trail, and deciding to hike the Applation Trail end to end is a huge commitment. Beyond the physical effort, it takes typically at least half a year of someone's time, and I read it costs most hikers between five and seven thousand dollars in equipment supplies like those rest or zero days you know in towns along the trail. So from like a research perspective, I definitely feel like people don't go into a hike of this magnitude lightly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't think people go into it half hearted. So that brings us to today's story, who is it so? Missing hiker Geraldine Largae caught national attention in July of twenty thirteen while hiking the Appalation Trail in the remote wilderness of Maine. Jerry, as her friends and family called her, was a retired Air Force nurse and she had a dream of hiking the Appollation Trail. In twenty thirteen, she was making that dream come true. She had taken a lot of practice hikes in her home state of Tennessee, as well as some actually like some hiking courses prior to embarking on this big hike. So I definitely feel like she had done she had put in the work. She knew what she was getting into. I don't think she had any like false expectations that it was going to be easy or light or quick.
Speaker 2: I think she knew what she was doing. It sounds like she trained for it, she did her research, she was taking it seriously, so it wasn't like a spontaneous decision and she went into anything ill prepared.
Speaker 3: Right, So Jerry took the adorable trail name inch Rom because although she may have been slow, she was moving along.
Speaker 2: So I did mention she was retired. I believe she was sixty six at the time she started. Wow, I love I love hearing those stories.
Speaker 3: Me too, And honestly, if I ever have six months to go hike, it's not going to be until I don't have like a regular job. So right, you know, right now, I have a job that I have to go to in person and a kid who's got to go to school, and I'm totally out of shape. But maybe in forty years I'll be like, you know what, now it's the time I'm going to hike.
Speaker 2: Well, it's inspiring because age has such a sort of stigma attached to it, especially aging, and so when you see these people kind of breaking those stereotypes, it's really cool to see and it is it's I'm sure it's empowering for them, but it's really nice to see that as someone who's in who's part of the society that makes you feel like aging isn't good and you do less and less as you age, and you're capable of less and less.
Speaker 3: And I think we had talked a couple weeks ago about the guy in his nineties who hiked me.
Speaker 2: Yeah Dome, and I saw the video. I think I shared the video. Actually, he is so cute. He was like not winded at all.
Speaker 3: Like I go up the I go up the stairs going to my desk at my work, and I'm like, who, I need a second before anybody talks to me, because I could be like in cardiac arrests in a second. This ninety year old guy is just cruising up there. I was like, good for him.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. I was winded a few times on Mount Major, which is like a very family friendly mountain, and a few times I'm like, well, not a second, guys, let me catch my breath. No, you were just appreciating the view. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, Jerry's husband George was quoted as saying, hiking the Appalation trail and sleeping in tents and wearing the same stuff three or four days in the rain not on my bucket list. But she needed to be supported on the hike because she has limits on what she could carry. So I simply had to say, Okay, suck it up. What's six months in the grand scheme of things. So I did it, And I love that attitude. He was like, that is not for me. I don't want to hike. I'm not about that, but you do, so I will support you even though it sounds terrible and I don't want to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, He's like, it's not my dream, it's your dream. I'm here to support your dream. That's part of being your partner, and so I'm your hype man. Yeah. So I love that.
Speaker 3: So because George was not about the hike, he wasn't hiking the whole trail with her, but he would hike like a portion of the trail with his wife and then double back to the car and drive ahead to feed her further along. So I think typically he would walk like hike like a mile or so, and then hike back and you know, meet her up ahead, whether it's you know, later that day or a couple of days later.
Speaker 2: Sounds like they had a good little system in place. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And because he was playing the support role with the supplies and all that, he was given the honorary trail name of Sherpa, which is a wik cute that.
Speaker 2: That's great in Schwarm and Sherpa. I love that.
Speaker 3: So Jerry had started her hike in April and just over three months later would be the last time she would be seen. She did have a friend, Jane Lee, who had started out the hike with her, but at some point I'm not really sure when. Jane had a personal or family emergency so she had to return home, but Jerry continued on on her own.
Speaker 2: Did Jerry start in Georgia.
Speaker 3: I think she was doing the flip flop high.
Speaker 2: Oh, she did the flip flop, So she started somewhere midway. That would make more sense because I'm just following the timeline that you're saying. And if she started her hike and three months later the last time she was seen alive and she and you said earlier, it was in Maine, so like three months. I mean, if she's a powerhouse and going from Georgia to Maine in three months, right, good honor.
Speaker 3: But Traili Chetah, not in that way exactly.
Speaker 2: Okay, So that makes sense. That's okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I'm not sure there's there's a few different ways that people tend to like break down the flip flop hike. Not everybody starts like directly in the middle, right, but there's like a couple options to break it up eventually. Jerry was hiking a stretch of trail that would require her to spend several nights along the trail, and she was expecting to meet up with George on July twenty third. She was last seen by other hikers the previous day, spending the night at the Poplar Ridge lean To, which is about twenty two miles from where she planned to meet George. So the couple stayed in touch as much as self service allowed, but there's definitely sections where self service is poor, if not nonexistent. So when Jerry didn't arrive at their meeting spot on the twenty third, George really wasn't too concerned. He thought Jerry was just living up to her Inchirm name and was running a little behind, and with the terrain as tough as it is, that area can definitely be slow going, so really not out of the ordinary that she was running a few hours or even a day behind. On the twenty fourth, however, he did become concerned. He started asking any passing hikers if they'd seen her along their route in the past couple days, and no one had, so he did contact authorities to report her missing, and really it sounds like no time was wasted getting the official search going. The main Wordance Service, state police, border patrol agents, national park rangers, and local residents turned out to help search. In addition to all those people, the Navy has a training facility very close to where it was suspected that Jerry had gotten lost, so Navy personnel were also on site to assist in the search.
Speaker 2: Oh that's cool.
Speaker 3: Did also bring in search jobs and aircraft to assist as well, and it really does everything I read. It sounds like they sprang into action very quickly and did what they could. They did eventually do some of the normal missing persons like inquiries with the family, as far as like Jerry and George's relationship, Would there be any reason that Jerry would choose to disappear, you know, questions of those nature, which you know, I think we know are normal in a missing person's case, right, But those types of questions came in in the coming days where they weren't finding her where they expected to I think that's when they were kind of like, all right, let's rule out anything else being at play here, but they definitely start searching for her immediately. So people get lost all the time along the trail, and with any type of missing person in the woods, typically people are found within hours, and almost always people are found within twenty four hours, So multiday searches for people are really pretty rare. Especially for an average adult, they're found within hours. Young kids or someone with a mental health condition, those searches might go on a little bit longer because they might hide out of confusion, or you know, sometimes kids think they're going to get in trouble, so you know, instead of being like, oh, I'm here, they're afore they're going to get in trouble and hide. So, you know, for a typical adult, though, rescue or.
Speaker 2: They're looking for rescuers just as much as rescuers are looking for them, so hopefully they link up a little quicker exactly. Yep.
Speaker 3: Searchers also had a decent idea of where to start looking, since George knew where he had last left her and when and where she was supposed to meet up with him, so at least they could have like narrowed down their search criteria. They were also able to get what is called and I'm not sure if it's called an exigent warrant or an exigent order, and again it might vary between different states, but basically, like the exigen order, they were able to get her cell phone data. Usually obtaining someone's cell phone data is a little bit more of a process, but in this situation it can literally mean life or death's death for somebody who's missing, So they were able to get her cell phone data a little bit quicker with then in other situations, which helped create that area to focus on, they were able to find out where her phone last pinged at least even though there was no service in that area. So heavy rains hit which made it difficult for the search dogs to tract scent also could have obscured any other like physical potential clues if there were any, And overall, it just made it difficult for the searchers to be out in the terrain in the woods with torrential downpours. Missing posters were hung, hikers were interviewed, and all tips were followed up on, and they searched for days. After twelve days of intense searches. Both authorities and her family knew they had scoured so much area. Smaller searches continued, but to no avail. Months later, another search, this time purely just a recovery search, was done and they found nothing.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Another recover research was done, I believe almost a year later, coming up on the anniversary of her disappearance, was done again just hoping to you know, bring closure to the family, just to know what happened. So you know, even though even by the time they had passed with the reusshold where you know, they thought that she was potentially alive, they didn't give up.
Speaker 2: They kept looking. That's so sad, Like could you imagine like you're hiking with her and you say, okay, meet you at the next checkpoint, and you never see her again. And it was supposed to be so routine with what you guys were doing, and everything was going fine, and then she just goes missing. And I cannot imagine how her husband must have felt. And then on top of that, then her family and her friends and heartbreaking.
Speaker 3: So tips continued to be called in from like all over the country, and authorities checked into them. Lots of This is a mistaken identity unfortunately, but police and the Warden Service they followed up on these things, which again I think just really shows everyone's commitment to finding out what happened, even if there was like far fetched. They're like, you know what, let's just run down this lead. If it's nothing, it's nothing. M They even had several tips called in for people claiming to be psychics, which were wildly unhelpful. And I'm not saying that there aren't potential true psychics out there, it's actually you and I have a cool story that maybe someday will figure out how to.
Speaker 2: How to incorporate into this how to share with the listeners.
Speaker 3: Yeah that involves a psychic or a medium. That's a pretty good story.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that was pretty crazy. Give pictures someone going out there and be like I'm sensing Greece, yeah you do, or sensing trees, and that was they'd go missing while she's hyking.
Speaker 3: That was a lot of they're like she's near a tree or eboulder, and it's like.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 3: So you know, these people just call in trash information mm hmm. Really is just like so disappointing because it's wasting money, wasting energy, wasting resources that could be used elsewhere. As time passed, rumors and conspiracy.
Speaker 2: Theories popped up. As they do.
Speaker 3: A big theory had to do with that Navy training facility. The Navy uses that area for its survival, evasion, resistance, and escape program. They utilize the extreme remoteness and difficult terrain to simulate being lost or trapped in the wilderness, presumably behind enemy lines, and doing all those things in the program's name survive, evade, resist, an escape.
Speaker 2: You know, I mean, pretty straightforward. I guess a little bit of sear training.
Speaker 3: Yes, So the theories were obviously baseless, but they all evolved. You know, the idea that the military was doing some shady, top secret stuff out there and that Jerry.
Speaker 2: Oh, they just took this elderly woman and we're life. You're perfect for our training program. You're an enemy now. So you know they were doing something, and you know, Jerry was just casualty for one reason or another, accidentally take her out while they're like.
Speaker 3: And it's interesting because where the property line is versus like where the trail is. I'm sure other people have like Inn Burtonley like wandered that right, and it doesn't. I mean, it sounds like, you know, the Navy keeps an eye on what's going on in the property, but it's not like fenced off or patrolled or you know, it's not it's not Area fifty one as far as security goes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you said, they probably do come across some people who have gone off trail a bit, and if anything, it helps because then they can help guide them back to where they're supposed to be. I can't imagine they just I'm not trying to laugh because this is terrible that she went missing, but this idea that he's just got taken out by this Navy training program, like they're going to do something to this to this woman who's just hiking and she can communicate and she'd probably say, hey, I'm lost. I'm supposed to be on the at right now. Right. She was also a previously an.
Speaker 3: Air Force nurse, so she was a veteran. So you know, I guess that doesn't exclude her from you know, top secret murder plots. I guess, but you know, personally I ruled out that theory pretty much. Other rumors included George Uh killing her. That's rude, It is rude. But again authorities had ruled him out really very quickly. They did, you know, look into that, but they were like, it's it's baseless. Another rumor that circulated and.
Speaker 2: Still seems to.
Speaker 3: Circulate a bit even now we know sort of what happened. People really got caught up on some of the medications she was taking, and.
Speaker 2: They really just like.
Speaker 3: Fixated on that's the reason she got lost, that the medication was somehow a contributing factor.
Speaker 2: But authorities happened to know what kind of medication she was on.
Speaker 3: I believe it was uh ol praslam. So if it was not autroprisaline, which I believe it was, it's somebody that's commonly prescribed for anxiety or trouble sleeping.
Speaker 2: So it's okay.
Speaker 3: It is something that's very commonly prescribed and utilized without you know, typically scary side effects. It wasn't a new medication for her and her authorities contacted her doctor and they were like, no, that's not a contributing factor. Her friend Jane Lee, who had you know, liked the beginning portion of the trail. She also said it was a non issue, Like it sounds like Gary used whatever it was to help her sleep, so again, probably not.
Speaker 2: Any influence on Yeah, it doesn't sound like it.
Speaker 3: So another theory was that she may have fallen victim to foul play by a stranger, and that has happened before, as we talked about earlier. So although there was no evidence pointing in that direction, it was a plausible theory honestly, because.
Speaker 2: Well, look at all the foot traffic along the trail. I mean, obviously the majority of people all have the best of intentions of being there, and usually the crowd that the at attracts are good natured people. They're kind, But of course that's never an absolute in any large group of people, so you are going to have the exceptions. And it's not entirely out of the question that she was met with foul play out there. With that at that point was speculation, and.
Speaker 3: I think the longer they searched without any evidence or signs of her, I think more that played in a little bit, because they did do very thorough searches. So I think, you know, at some point people were like, they've looked, we've looked be here. Something must have happened. Somebody must have taken her, you know, out of the area. That's why we're not finding anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah. In October of twenty fifteen, more than two.
Speaker 3: Years since Jerry was last seen, a report of a body found was made by either a surveyor or a forestry worker. A team was assembled again with state Police, the main warden Service, people from the State Medical Examiner's Office, and a film crew for the show at Northwards Law.
Speaker 2: Have you ever seen that show? Oh my god, I love that show. I used to want to do that. It was like the perfect combination of law enforcement, which is what I used to do in the Air Force, and being in the wilderness and I really wanted to do that for a while. Well, you could have done it, I come.
Speaker 3: I have heard people talk about the show like over the years, but I've never seen it. I'm sure shocks no one, no one that knows you anyway, right, Apparently, and apparently sixty five episodes were took place in New Hampshire, following Fish and Game Officers, which you all probably already know since you you've seen it.
Speaker 2: I think what's cool about that show for anyone from our area who's watching it is just being able to actually be familiar with the places that they are. Yeah, so that's always fine, any show that you're watching, if you if it's set where you are, and it's kind of kind of makes it a little cooler.
Speaker 3: There's an episode of Deadly Women, that show that features a killer from my town, and I remember watching it and being like, that's my town hall, that's this place. Of course it is, but yeah.
Speaker 2: Like exactly, it's it's weird, It's it kind of connects you to like what is otherwise, just when you're so far removed from what you're watching on TV, and then when you're actually seeing things that you've seen in person or places you've been to in person, and you're like, Okay, this is weird. Now, yeah, you have a different perspective. Absolutely. So some of the wardens originally involved in the search for Jerry were involved with that show, which is why they were happened to have a film crew on hand that day. Wow.
Speaker 3: The team went out to the coordinates they had been given and found a collapse tent with skeleton remains inside a sleeping bag, and it sounds like everyone essentially knew immediately Jerry had finally been found. In searching the scene, they found her journal in a sealed plastic bag where she had detailed what had happened. They also retrieved her cell phone, where they eventually were able to find several unsuccessful attempts to send texts and calls. On July twenty third, which was the day she was supposed to meet up with George but didn't, she had tried to call him, and she did attempt to send a text, which obviously never went through, saying, in some trouble, got off trail to go to the bathroom.
Speaker 2: Now lost.
Speaker 3: Can you call AMC to see if trail maintainer can help me somewhere north of Woods Road xox.
Speaker 2: Oh no, that's so sad.
Speaker 3: So she tried to send that a couple times. The following day, she said another unsuccessful message, saying, Boston's yesterday off trail three to four miles. Call police for what to do? Please xox. And just like reading that or hearing those texts, like, despite being in a terrible situation, her texts and journal entries honestly sound like very sweet and calm and.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, like in everyday little situations, we can very easily work ourselves up. And for her, and what was truly a life or death situation for her, she just kept her composure, and like you said, her texts were so almost came off casual and she wasn't frantic. She didn't. She probably could have been frantic, but she certainly didn't convey that through her text and I imagine she probably didn't want to panic George either.
Speaker 3: Right, so, and again keeping George in mind, they also found that she had cut up her bank cards and buried them. So totally speculation on everybody's part, but they think when she resigned herself to the fact she wasn't going to be found alive, she didn't want somebody to get a hold of her cards and cause more problems for George. So they think she cut them up and buried them to you know, oh my goodness, getting in somebody else's hands, which is like so so sad, so but also so like beautifully practical, like right right, you know. And here's where it gets extra heartbreaking, no, it already is. Although the camp site was in a densely wooded area, she was less than two miles from the trail, oh my god, and only about sixty yards south of where her tent was set.
Speaker 2: The woods thinned out.
Speaker 3: To where she could have been seen from the air and then only about twenty to twenty five minutes hike from that open area was a totally open logging road. So although her camp site was practically invisible a few feet away, she was so close to civilization. Search dogs had come within one hundred yards of the camp site, but they didn't indicate they smelled anything, and no one spotted her tent. So not only did they bring out search dogs in the initial searches, but in some of those recovery searches they had had cadaver dogs and nobody seemed to.
Speaker 2: Pick up on it. Wow.
Speaker 3: They also determined that she had tried to set fires for getting attention, not like a casual okay, I guess when you're lost in the wood. Nothing as casual, but as opposed to like a camp fire. So very little of her journal has been released publicly, so it's hard to know, you know, are people just making assumptions based on the information we have, or was there more information in those journals that maybe she said, I tried to set this tree on fire, you know, to get attention, but worried it would spread. They seemed to think that that was her concern, that she didn't want to create a fire that was going to get out of control. So again very practical, thinking about more than just herself. So in her journal she did detail that she had spent two days wandering around trying to move to higher ground to get oriented or best case scenario, get cell phone service before she decided to stay put. She also tried to use a miler blanket she had to signal for help, and she also used I believe it was like a red fleece to you know, try and get attention. She did write in her journal that she was able to hear like the aircraft searching, so oh my god, So she knew that that people were looking for her, but you know, she just wasn't in an area that she was able to be seen.
Speaker 2: And think about it. For us, who can look at Google maps, or look at an aerial you or look at a map, it's so easy for us to say, oh, wish she was only sixty yards from here. She was less than two miles from here. But when you are there at ground level, in the thick of it, like, you don't know if ahead of you is hundreds of acres of wilderness and behind you is a logging road because it all looks the same, So there's no way of knowing which direction you should head toward, because you don't have that same advantage as someone sitting comfortably here, like at our desks, looking at a map. Right.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think you know the phrase you can't see the forest through the trees, which obviously is utilized in a totally different context usually, but like, this is exactly it. And several sources talked about how when they did find her campsite, when you step back only a few feet, people couldn't even see it, So it really was.
Speaker 2: Just that dense.
Speaker 3: Wow, I like I had said a couple of minutes ago that only a few sections of her journal were released. One of the sections that had been released was an entry from August sixth, She wrote, when do you find my body, Please call my husband George and daughter Carrie. It will be the greatest kindness for them to know that I am dead and where you found me. No matter how many years from now, please find it in your heart to mail the contents of this bag to one of them. So entries continued until August eighteenth. No one can know for sure if the dates were accurate, because again, you know, she was just in the Woods, So at some point her cellphone had died, so it you know, was she keeping accurate time? Who knows, But based on those dated entries, if those are accurate, she survived at least twenty six days before dying of starvation and exposure.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: So the rest of the journal presumably includes extremely personal letters to friends and family. Yeah, her family spoke publicly thinking all involved in the search for Jerry and George had indicated that not knowing was the hardest part. So I think, just as Jerry's note said, her family did have some peace knowing what happened and just finding her her body and just being able to, you know, kind of have some closure.
Speaker 2: To bring her home. Yeah. I did find it hard to believe.
Speaker 3: I mean, I believe it, but I did find it strange that both search and cadaver dogs came so close to her camp site.
Speaker 2: Not for a lack of effort, but that's so frustrating because, like you said, they were so close, like two different sets of dogs, and you always wonder what if, like what if they found her, what if they got there sooner?
Speaker 3: But and the other thing is, you know, she had indicated that she heard like the aircraft looking for her. So it is surprising that, because we know searchers came very close, that she didn't hear them. So, you know, some thought is you know, later on in, you know, several days into the search, you know, she may have been you know, too weak or dehydrated to you know, respond in a way that they'd be able to hear her. But you know, there wasn't a delay in starting to look for her. So I'm just surprised that, you know, within the first couple of days before you know, things had physically taken a toll on her, that you know, they weren't able to hear each other, or you know, she wasn't able to hear them. So I did read the book titled When You Find My Body. I do recommend it, although I felt like the author makes a lot of assumptions on what Jerry might have been thinking or feeling during her time lost. I know that the author did do interviews with her friends and family and authorities involved in the case, but I couldn't find anywhere if the family had given him access to read.
Speaker 2: The full journal.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, So if he did have access, then maybe some of these things he wrote were actually things that Jerry had expressed in that journal, and you know he wasn't taking you know, artistic license with assuming what she was feeling or thinking. But I couldn't find anywhere for sure knowing if he had access to more than the public did or not beyond beyond the interviews. Right, he definitely did interviews, but I don't know.
Speaker 2: Look, he had more insight than just the public in general. Right.
Speaker 3: So, despite the appellation trail being clearly marked and a very well maintained trail, despite jury being well prepared, and despite this being Nain's large dismissing person's search, it still ended in tragedy. Sometimes it's easy to underestimate how easy it really can be to get turned around the woods, and if you're unlucky enough to also not have self service, it can definitely get dire quick if you do get lost. The US four Service says you should do the followings. A little podcast pe perfect So Forest Service tells us you should stop as soon as you realize you may be lost. Stop, stay calm, stay put. Panic is your greatest enemy. Think, go over your mind, how you got to where you are? What landmarks should you be able to see? Do not move at all until you have a specific reason to take a step. Observe, get out your compass and determine the directions based on where you are standing. Do not walk aimlessly. If you were on a trail, stay on it as the very last resort. Follow a drainage or stream downhill. This is often a difficult path, but could lead to a trail a road again, this could be dangerous. Plan based on your thinking and observations. Come up with some possible plans, think them through, then act on one of them. If you are not very very confident in the root, then it's better to stay put. If it's nightfall or you're injured or near exhaustion, stay in place so They also list a couple almost it self serve self rescue tips if after careful planning and consideration, you decide you should try to rescue yourself. Here are some tips to remember. Stop and rest when you start to feel tired. Don't wait until you're exhausted. Your body can't hike hard and digest food at the same time. Rest in the shade for at least thirty minutes when you stop to eat. If you're still tired after thirty minutes, continue to rest make sure to drink enough water to avoid dehydration. Symptoms of dehydration could include thirst, dry sticky mouth, not urining very much or dark yellow urine, dry cool skin, headache, and muscle gramps. Stop and fix small problems while they are still small.
Speaker 2: I like that one.
Speaker 3: Actually, if you ignore your body and keep pushing, the pain or illness will only get worse and make recovery margin occult. Avoid hiking between ten and four pm on hot days, so yes, adjust your hiking pace to one you can comfortably maintain, and rest when you feel the need. So definitely, just a couple of things to keep in mind. I think we you know, sitting at home or you know, when we're not in the moment. These are all things that were like, well, yeah, of course, but I think if you let that panic or stress take over, it's very easy to forget these very simple things. So just doesn't hurt to reiterate them.
Speaker 2: They're all good friendly reminders because, like you said, it's easy right here to say, well, duh, but if you're in the moment, panicking could take the situation from being manageable to now becoming more of like an emergency.
Speaker 3: So Derry was friendly and kind, leaving a warm impression with anyone she met. You know, they had interviewed a lot of hikers along the trail, and you know, she had interacted with a lot of people in her time out there, and everybody just had great things to say about her.
Speaker 2: And it sounds like.
Speaker 3: Even in those short exchanges along the trail, you know, she left an impact on those people who were essentially strangers until they met for that brief time. So she's absolutely deeply messed by all who knew her, and for the rest of us, her death is a cautionary reminder to stay on the trail.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's a really sad one because she was just doing something so normal on the trail, which is just stepping away to relieve herself, and there was no way of knowing the gradual consequences that that would have.
Speaker 3: And because I had like shared some of these if you get lost tips with my child because I thought that was a good opportunity, a good learning opportunity. He then, you know, had to tell me that his adventure backpack didn't have a whistle, so I had to order a multi pack of safety whistles. So if you need a whistle for your hiking bag. I have six of them, so let me know what color you want.
Speaker 2: That's actually really smart of him notice to pick that out and say, hey, this one's missing from my pack.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and it's funny because I'm like, oh, yeah, like you know, pretty much all hiking packs have have that whistle on the strap. But then I look at mine and I'm like, there's no whistle on here.
Speaker 2: My previous one.
Speaker 3: Had a whistle, but this cheap one that I had to replace because I ruined my expensive one did not come with a whistle.
Speaker 2: Well, very good observation, little man. Yep.
Speaker 3: So that's your takeaway for tonight. Everybody's homework. Go make sure your day pack or your hiking pack or your adventure bag as my kid likes to call it, and has that safety I don't know it's called safety whistle. I don't know that's what I'm calling it.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you for sharing that really tragic story.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I am now looking forward to hearing a different Appalachian trail tail next week.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, it's kind of funny that we both chose one without knowing each other's story. So yeah, next week we will be talking about another tragedy on the trail. All right, sounds good.
Speaker 3: It is bedtime for us early early risers, early to bed people.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, these days four thirty comes early, so oh it does. Yeah. Well, thank you for listening, all right bye.
Speaker 1: Make it an eye to our own research and try our best across reference reliable sources to presenting most accurate information we can. Please reach out to us at Off the Trails Podcasts at gmail dot com if you believe we have misrepresented any information during this episode, and we'll be happy to correct ourselves in a future episode.
Speaker 2: And with that being said, if you enjoyed this episode, please rate and review us because this feedback helps to continue improving the show for you while giving us a larger platform to reach more listeners. Follow us on Instagram at Off the Trails Podcasts, where we share episode details and some fun behind the scenes content, and most importantly, we get to interact with you. And if you really like the show, for as little as three dollars a month, you can subscribe to our Patreon, where we have lots of great benefits for you to enjoy.