Speaker 1: Meaning a light Man like this man letting butterfly flapping his wing big down in the forest. Man, it gonna cause the tree fold, letting five thousand miles away. Man, you think nobody seen nobody else, and you don't need no man.
Speaker 2: You follow the story and.
Speaker 1: You got back to flect that that's win. Man got black and dag on the panel. Man, Man, you don't don't matter.
Speaker 2: Man. You know, Carl, Uh, I don't know if people remembered that you and I are allowed to do uh structured numbered episodes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's uh, it's been a while. It's been a while having a topic planning ahead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, there's something to it. You know, maybe one day it'll catch on the uh. Although it's funny. I have been getting insistent dms from several people about you and I doing another gun broker show. Yeah, just find funny listenings.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I've been looking at those. But anyway, yes, it's a source of endless amusement. But as I sort of hint today, we were actually here to talk about a subject topic and that is one of my favorite films. The two thousand and seven Brazilian classic Elite Squad, also known as Trope a day Elite for reference, this is a large part of the team that would later go on to make I Believe City of God, and a lot of these guys have have become, you know, much more prominent filmmakers. This, as far as I understand, I'm Not Brazilian, is sort of seen as the Brazilian god Father, right, kind of the the archetypal Brazilian crime movie.
Speaker 2: I love the film. We'll obviously get into it, but just as kind of a broad overview, it concerns a actual Brazilian death squad. Bope, you have seen photos of these guys before. They do crazy stuff all the time, you know, primarily going after you know, narcos and criminal gangs. There was recently, as in a year and a half or two years ago, a big fight between actually several of the factions we see in this movie. I believe, I think it's called Red Faction, which is like a technically communist narco gang. And then Bope, we're talking like hundreds of casualties in urban warfare. You know, you've got like Brazilian guys with like Madsen machine guns just laying down fire and flavellas. So this is a fictionalized account, but only kind of. So anyway, Carl, I'm curious before we jump into it, had you ever seen this movie and what were your thoughts on it? I, you know what, I saw it a long time ago.
Speaker 1: I saw it when you were probably too young to read subtitles, and I was blown First of all, I was blown away with it because even twenty you know, well eighteen years ago, seventeen years ago when I would have seen I would have seen it around twenty ten probably, you know, this stuff was very well known. Brazil was the cautionary tale of what America would become. And people are destined to make us right like that it's being insisted upon. But instead of people living in favelas where they build you know, shanties that we of the kind that we see in this film, you know, in America, it's all paid for by, you know, from our taxes. The really interesting thing is Bope is a They are military police, but not in the sense in America when you think of MPs. They mostly focus on you know, handling members of the military, right whether it's on base or going off base to deal with them when they're getting getting a little wacky. No they are a basically public security but through the military, so they have a huge amount of a huge amount of leeway, let's say, in dealing with with things, and very villainized by the Brazilian lib tards, of which there are legion given given the state of Brazil and the fact that they've had they've been dealing with basically insurgencies for gosh, seventy eighty years in Brazil. So yeah, it's it's pretty wild stuff. And you know, the takeaway that I have from this film, there's takeaways that you can come to that are you know, top level like kind of like we were discussing before, you know, practical responses to reality, but then they're the main takeaway that I have is that Brazil is hell on Earth and you cannot let that happen here. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the broad plot to this, it's that the Pope is coming to Rome and he's going to stay with the archbishop near one of the most violent fabellas in Rio. And the joke is, of course, like you know, the Pope sleep can't be disturbed, and so effectively it's a it's a massive cleanup operation. We have sort of two main storylines.
Speaker 1: We have.
Speaker 2: He's me, I've got hiccups, which I'm sure will be incredibly annoying to listen to anyway, So, of course we have the kind of A and B plot. The established character is Captain Roberto Nacimento.
Speaker 1: Just off rip.
Speaker 2: You guys are aware I cannot pronounce I can barely pronounce English, let alone Portuguese, so bear with me. He is an established kind of bope commander and he has been looking for a replacement. His wife is pregnant. He's we find out of the course of the film, sort of developed a you know, a painkiller addiction to sort of cope with this. And so we see him looking for a successor, right, looking for someone who can sort of, you know, take his place in this grinding war with the cartel. And our B plot is the two other kind of main characters, these these rookie police officers Andre and Nito. Again, it's in Portuguese. We both watched it with subtitles because we're adults. There is an English version floating around. It is thoroughly adequate, but you know, I prefer the original. And the story begins sort of in media race, right. We'll get more backstory after this opening scene, and it is an all time great opening scene. Actually, Carl, I don't know if you remember all the way back when we had our conversation about your book Faction with the Crusaders by book, one of the things that I complimented on you, or complimented you on rather, was you had a really good, strong, opening scene, sort of set the mood. I didn't say it, but in my head, I was thinking, it's a lot like Elite Squad, where you have this incredible, you know, sort of action set piece that pulls you in and then later we explain how our characters got there, so obligatory by the book. It's good, it's interesting, probably the only direct relation between these two, at least for now. But I will say the scene is awesome. You have a group of different police officers sort of coming together in this block party. The song in the block party is is reprised several times through the movie. Yeah, it is so catchy, man, it's a it's an earworm.
Speaker 1: But it's awful too. It's it's yeah, exactly horrible, but but the rhythm of it is super catchy. It it is hell because if you and here's the thing is I took the time to look it up. It's a very famous song from the nineties of basically Favella gangsta rap, basically talking about it's rapta armas, so it's about guns and and so it's it's it's gangster nonsense, just with extra vowels appended to the end of every word. You know it it's like a beat, yeah, and a salsa beat and and and it's it is an earworm, but it's also horrible at the same time, which it which is this degrading, degrading third world experience that that is is so immersive in this movie. The lighting I was telling Jay before we started the lighting in this if you've ever spent time in the third world will give you you will be so immersed in this and you'll be having flashbacks and you're like, god, I hate this place. It's awful.
Speaker 2: And so what we see is there's sort of this roiling part already going on. You know, there's a stage and overlooking it. Again, the architecture is a strong word. The technical human constructions will go with that. Yes, is extremely accurate. Right, if you've ever been to South America and seeing these sort of in communities, but you have this sort of you know, party on the side of a slope, and up at the top there are some gangsters. Right, there's also a police car. And what we sort of realize is happening is that these police officers are effectively selling guns, right, I have that, correct, Carl, Yeah, correct, to these gangsters. So right from the beginning we are seeing this sort of endemic corruption within the police force.
Speaker 1: And in the part the important thing is in this party, in this favella, which is filled with hundreds of people of you know, let's say.
Speaker 2: You can'tically brillion Brazilian descent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, authentically Brazilian, and that you have no idea you you know that there's at least at least three races going on there. And it's smell crazy in there, and and the and the gangsters are like dancing with like M sixteen's and uh and like aks and stuff like that. It's it's crazy.
Speaker 2: And so as this this deal goes down, we see our two you know, ostensible main characters, right, uh, Nido and Andre uh looking down through a scoped rifle.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: They are not aware of what's really going on here, right, They just see you know, gangsters coming up with guns. The situation sort of escalates and they shoot one of the gangsters and all hell breaks loose instantly, well least start shooting, the gangsters start shooting. It is probably the closest relevant cinematic experience I could think is something like something like Blackhawk Down, but it is way less organized than that. Yes, you have people running. The guns in this are particularly interesting into a lot of actual Brazilian stuff. So some of the gangsters obviously have like you know, AC five five sixes, which is you know, a ruger you know, kind of mini fourteen auto mini oozzies. But I don't know if you picked up on this. The uh submachine gun that one of the corrupt cops is carrying is a Brazilian knockoff of the Danish Madson submachine gun. Yeah, yeah, And I looked into it. It is the most comedically crude weapon in the world when I was looking into it. It is made of basically two like like stamped sheet steel shells that are just kind of held together, and then the nut that holds on the barrel also holds them together together. Apparently, I don't know anything about this. This is what the Internet tells me. Uh, you don't take it off the right way, it will dude across the room and yeah, vomit all the parts out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, because it has like a two pound square bolt. They're they're very they're very clever. And and the date it is the Danish Madsen. That was just some were made, some were made by Madson and provided there they have this old history with Brazil going back along ways. Then there was a local version and it's literally stampshell. There's like wing nuts on it and stuff like that. By the the folding stock and everything. It's incredibly crude and simple but worked very well. You can also see him in The Godfather. They have nine millimeter versions in The Godfather.
Speaker 2: So this just descends. We see our two main characters sort of frantically running through the favela. They're getting you know, closed in on. They're just firing blindly up and down these side alleys, and then Bope shows up and the whole scene changes, right, they're just again it's sort of like a real life version of you ever seen that movie gene Row, you know, the Wolf Brigade. They're basically a death squad. And after that scene wraps up, of course, and that's sort of you know, we see them, you know, see Bope, and it's like, oh wow, that was you know, this special unit I didn't even know about. We go back to, you know, both of these guys joining the police force, right in this kind of normal, just kind of run of the mill police station, and they're each assigned to very kind of you know, menial duties, right Nido I. He is put in charge of the police complaints, which is probably the closest thing to comedy in this movie. You know, both the absurd numbers of police planes and also just the blatant corruption. Like one of the things we see happen in this film is that anytime someone is killed, the first police that find it, they don't actually report it or do anything with it. They just move the body into someone else's district, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: They try to find an excuse or an explanation where they're like there wasn't there one where they're like, well, there's a river there and it probably came from it. Yeah, yeah, it's he's round. Well. The thing is the numbers are so high because again this is these favelas that are just run by these drug gangs. Their murder rate is crazy down there. It's just completely lawless. And that's really what they're trying. They're trying to really push this so that you so that you take this away and internalize it is that Bope is brutal, but they're the only honest, polite and competent police here. There's this whole element like at the same time where you know, one of the guys has to work in the auto shop, like maintaining the police cars, and like police officers will like have the engine, the good engine swapped out at a shop and pocket the difference in money that they get paid and have a crappy you know, like two hundred thousand mile engine put in and stuff. It's completely crazy, just constant. Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: And the other the other officer, he's in the in the motor pool. And you know, one of the other things that you see is that like basically the the motor pool is, as you've said, completely dysfunctional, right, that people are stealing parts off of you know, the new cars. Everything is just a hodgepodge for a million different pieces. But the one thing that has to be perfectly maintained is the police chiefs car.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his motorcycle, yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And it's it's just this kind of absurd level of corruption. And you know that one of the officers, uh you know, basically you know, goes out on patrol with you know, one of the you know, the higher ranking officials, and we see basically this large dispute over uh, you know, towing companies. That this in itself is a massive scam, right that the police officers are you know, towing cars, issuing tickets, pocketing the money and are as we've seen at the start of this movie in bed with you know, local gangsters, and in fact, we find out that that whole shootout basically started because they saw that you know, one of their coworkers was in bed right, that he was you know, meeting with local you know gangsters, that he was giving them weapons, that he was tipping them off as to when you know, the police were coming. And you know, these guys get incensed by it, and that's why after they you know, they attempt themselves to go, you know, follow this corrupt officer creates this giant shootout. They see Bobe come in and that's why they're like, oh, I want to join, right, So that's the the sort of plot component to that in the background, we find out that one of our characters, Nido is uh he is in law school, right, so he is played as very idealistic and he wants to basically, you know, go from being a street officer to a sort of like a prosecutor, right to sort of you know, continue his kind of fight against crime. And the scenes at the university are legitimately hilarious. Carl like this movie. There's a there's a cheap reading of this movie that it's about you know, police brutality, and it kind of is, but not really at all. It heaps scorn on the kind of Brazilian middle and upper classes you know, who go to university and love to read Fuko and talk about how, you know, criminal justice is just a way to to keep the to keep the little man down. But uh, do you want to talk about you know, his scenes at college because I like the probably some of the most interesting, you know, kind of dialogue in the film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I thought m on Andre is Andre Matias, right, is the is the based black who goes to law school and he and he's from the favelas he knows this world, and we find out that he wants to buy uh, he wants to take a kid who is involved in this program that some of the you know, the hot girls in law school with him, who are these upper middle class twits lib tards have this There's some sort of an NGO that they work for in the It's kind of nebulous as to what they actually do, although they have classes with kids and help them with homework and stuff like that, but it's basically done with the permission of the drug lord in the area. And so Andre Matias wants to get a pair of glasses. He wears these big, thick glasses, and he wants to get glasses for another kid who is basically like him as a child that he sees him that way, and so he has this perspective. He's like, I know the way these places work. I know where this comes from. Yes, they're a corrupt police, but there's also good police, and corrupt police doesn't excuse the crime and corruption that you see not only here but everywhere in our whole society. And all the lip chards are like no police bad. That's like literally there there the level of thought that they have, which is which is one of those things Jay that I think is really important that we need to internalize here is because there's this this delusion that that you hear expressed all the time on kind of the American I'll just broadly call it the right right where they say, you know, let things get bad enough. It's the it's the acceleration COPE. Let things get bad enough and then everyone will be outraged and will like stop it. And it's like no, Brazil, South Africa, like you have earnest libtards in these places who deal with this stuff all the time. You know, they see it all the time, but they still you know, make excuses and uh you know. So Andre Matias is like, no, no excuses. And he starts out being really quiet while this stuff is happening because he wants to fit in. He wants to you know, go with the flow. He doesn't want to argue constantly or he'll debate quietly. But it like escalates over time as it not only and that the way they put it in the film is not only because of his belief, but he becomes a member of BOPE and and he transforms into a warrior basically. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And one of the interesting things is that one of the corrupt officers who is sort of at the center of the shootout, because basically what we find out happens is that when our two main characters find out about the corruption, they effectively steal the bribe money, right and use that to actually fix up the motor pool. And this is blamed on the corrupt officer who ends up, you know, going into the Flabella actually sent there as punishment, right, because this is a dangerous duty by the higher ups. This guy also sort of goes to try out with Bope and the training montage is from what I've seen, because there's actually a decent amount of footage of this incredibly accurate, like even them, you know, doing things like standing in the swamp. You know, that's something that you can see in documentary footage, right, it's pretty much one to one accurate. But that process of weeding them out, one of the things that happens is that they're also being weeded out for corruption. And so this one officer, I can't remember his name, it's something, ends with an avowal and he is explicitly pulled out by Nacimento as corrupt. You know, he sends him home. So the interactions what we see is that basically throughout the film, Nido is living sort of a double life. He is not necessarily told his college friends that, you know, he is a police officer, and so at least initially they sort of he is. We see that sort of dissonance, right where these people who live in safegated communities and go to you know, an expensive school and then only venture into the Flabella's to basically do kind of self aggrandizing charity work have really no idea what it's like very clearly, uh, And it's kind of interesting because what we later find out sort of towards the climax of the film is that even these even these rich kids are there, they are the ones funding these these you know, drug trafficking, right, They're the ones buying drugs to use it parties. And you know, very explicitly we see the train from kind of like a small time college dealer to you know, the local drug kingpin, right, and that connection so you we'll get to it later, but sort of builds up to the kind of climactic conclusion of this film. But I think it's interesting that for a movie ostensibly about you know, unaccountable police violence, and you know, that is often how it has read, particularly in the West, the people causing so many of these problems are basically college educated libtards.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, They are the.
Speaker 2: Ones who, out of one side of their mouth are restricting the ability of violence to sort of set order to this and then also funding it through their kind of own like Libertine ends. And I think that it's the conclusion to this film is interesting, and like I said, we'll get to it, but basically it is about the process of hardening yourself to the point where you can become the sort of the kind of man who can restore order, and that happens. There's there's no half measure that will solve any of these problems. And certainly the film is part is fatalistic, right, because the system is so corrupt and so violent. But I think that that, you know, is really the soul of the film is we're watching Neto over the course of it sort of shed his idealism, right, shed this sort of unrealistic dream about, you know, being a poor kid from a favella, than a police officer, than a than a prosecutor. His realization is basically, I have to become a killer, like that is the way that you know, I can fight this and fix this because evil must be stamped out. That is the conclusion, right. It's it's an oddly I mean say this euphemistically, Carl, but it's it's sort of a fascistic film. It is.
Speaker 1: No, I agree completely, and and that's the that's the whole thing with the film is everything they they are proven right every step of the way. You know, you know, the the meme that came to my mind is dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed, right, and that's that's literally the solution to all this because they they go into a they go into a I'll charitably call it a rooftop hut where there's a where there's a kid who has a pair of shoes that cost like three hundred and fifty dollars and it's the only like clean, bright thing in the room, right, Like everything else looks like shit. It's all like fourth hand discarded trash. He sleeps on what we could uphemistically refer to as like a straw mattress at best. It's just it's it's it's barely a hovel. A hovel is charitable and they're like, where did you get these shoes? And they know where you got these shoes. He works for the drug dealers, right. The libtards would say, well, he has no other opportunities. You know, it's society, et cetera. You know, why why would why would he have shoot? You know, he can't do the whole logical thing of where he would spend this this money in a more in a better way to take care of his family and improve their conditions. Because of the conditions they're in. This is a thing that he wants. As Selene Dion would say, let them touch those things, and uh, you know, so he's basically anocent kid. Bope says, well, you're gonna tell us, And so they slap them around a little bit. And then they what what is the term that they use in the film. They say, bag him or something like that, which involves taking a you know, disregarding the the label, they take the plastic bag and put it over his head and suffocate him in a rather graphic fashion for maybe ten twelve seconds while wrenching him around violently so that he starts huffing and puffing and it's a highly unpleasant experience. And then they take it off his head and ask him slap him around a little bit he doesn't talk. Well, they do it a third time and he talks. So the crazy thing is every stage of this movie, their intensification of violence is justified by the outcomes that they get because they didn't actually kill him, They didn't permanently harm him by doing this, right, they let him go. They have a thing earlier with the kid who's a lookout who the gang then murders, right because he talked. And it's very touching because the mother comes to our police captain Nacimento and when he has a child on the way and is like, I need to know where my son's body is so that we can bury him. That's another really important element of this is there's a is like taking care of the body, treating the body with respect, having a funeral, like that closure that you get from it, you know, in the positive sense, motivates this captain to go out into the favelas to just try to find this child's body, to figure out what happens to him, so the mother can have closure, so that he can have closure as his child is on the way, so that you can like quit this job in the way that he's promised his wife, who is unbearably nagging in this film. She is she is very annoying, but it's understandable also.
Speaker 2: And I'm glad you brought that up, because that is also a distinction we see between uh obviously like Bope and the police and also uh, you know, the we'll just say like the Narcos, right because like, don't get me wrong, they're both they're both savage. Like in that that scene with you know, when they bag someone. Uh, there is also a show is a highly disturbing threat made with a broom handle, yuh, which they didn't do, but uh, you know, it certainly motivated him to talk, but they do let him go afterwards, and we see over and over again the NARCO is obviously, you know, killing anyone who speaks with the police. But you know, even in the kind of you know, climactic moments of this film, even on Suspicion, kill people in horrific ways. So obviously media not quite a third, but a large portion of this is about uh, you know, the Bope training, right, these guys becoming you know, members of this this sort of you know, death squad, and it's one of the all time great sort of you know training you know arcs in a city like this. Yeah, like almost immediately, you know, we see our characters brought out to this kind of tent in the middle of nowhere, and they're getting shark tanked. You know. All the guys are running up, you know, punching them, you know, yelling in their face.
Speaker 1: And then we see a.
Speaker 2: Really interesting scene where all of the recruits are basically going through sleep deprivation. So they're like in a classroom sort of and you know, Nito falls asleep and the officers hands him presumably a live hand grenade, pulls the pin and tells him to hold it to keep a lake. We we also see, you know, in this sort of section, we see them you know, doing you know, long marches, you know, going through the jungle, standing in swamps, lots of lots of footage of trench foot which is accurately rendered, and we're seeing this group sort of constantly. Yeah, it's it's this is not a this is not a film for the whole family on a multitude of different metrics. But yeah, if you're sent whatever that it's not triggonosis. That's what you get from eating raw pork whatever. The phobia is of a small holes, not a great one for that.
Speaker 1: Uh oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Actually, really this is just a a that if this movie was in a culture where trigger warnings were popular, like it was in kind of like the twenty nineteen to like twenty twenty one range, it would be all of them. There's quite simply nothing that isn't in it.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: But you know, as these guys you know kind of winnow down, we see you know, these these officers becoming more and more competent, more and more hardened. They move from just getting beat down to you know, doing drills with weapons, to being brought on on you know missions, you know again these kind of like urban warfare operations, and you know, once they finally graduated, are our sort of secondary character. Uh. You know, Nido, he gets a boupe tattoo once he's he's finally graduated on his arm, which turns out to be turns out to be very relevant. So after you know, they go through the you know, bope training, after the corrupt officer is you know, is out, Uh, basically, Andre and his you know kind of art ho law school girlfriend, their relationship blows up. She is aware he was captured you know, on photo as being a member of you know, bope what she believes that this sort of death squad, and so, you know, she breaks up with him. He's now a social pariah. We see that everyone is aware of this. They don't want anything to do with him. So he sort of just decided, you know, all right, I'm gonna hoist the black flag like we're we're out there. And this kind of small town dealer, the one that's you know, supplying weed primarily to the college kids, we know that, you know that Andreas picked up on this, right, so he goes and confronts him. He basically you know, slaps him around, you know, basically says like you know, demands information from him, and this information makes its way back to the local drug kingpin. Right he knows, oh wait, you know, not only has one of my dealers presumably given information to uh, you know, to the police, but we find out that this NGO, which is also connected to the same to the same drug kingpin, he's sort of whitewashing his image through it.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Well, our main character is going into the Favella to finally give this little.
Speaker 1: Boy a pair of glasses.
Speaker 2: So he's going to be on his own, alone and vulnerable and at the last minute, Andre can't make it, so Nido goes into the pafella to give the glasses to the little boy or his friend, right, and the Kingpin, not knowing of course that he is a part of BOPE or that he's got the wrong man, sets up an ambush and you know, Nito's gunn down. He's killed, and there's this very cinematic moment where they run up to the body and they look at his forearm and see the BOPE tattoo and realize like, oh no, we're were were screwed, right, we have made a mistake. But also at the same time, the cartel is basically moved to a sweep up this kind of in these NGO workers who they think have been compromised and uh, this is m perhaps the darkest moment of the film. They're you know, they're grabbed at gunpoint and one of the girls is executed, and the guy who's running this like clinic or ngo or whatever, uh is uh stuffed into a roll of tires and set on fire. It's a very very grim scene.
Speaker 1: It's brutal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but this of course sets us up for the final confrontation. Right, we've already been part of this kind of rolling anti crime wave to make things you know, clear for the pope. But also a boupe officer has been killed, and two of the you know kind of like middle to upper classes have also been brutally murdered execution style. So the stakes are the stakes are high. I went through a lot of plot there, Carl, And forgive me for being slightly less linear with this, but this movie isn't super linear. I was going hard to follow, but it's not like, you know, it's not like You're Of the Dragon, where it's one plot all the way through and you can just sort of rattle through it. It sort of loops back on itself. But I'll give you a chance to respond, Carl And I.
Speaker 1: Did watch Here the Dragon when you guys were talking about it, so that I had seen it, because I saw it probably thirty years ago, so that I had seen it by the time I listened to the show you did with Pete. But anyway, yes, this brings us back to that we've established exactly what is led up to the opening scene, which is so great. So now it all makes sense. Now you're like, oh, you know, now this makes sense. Here's this unit that acts like of police bope that acts like an infantry squad, whereas all the others are all these other cops and we know their backgrounds, we know why they were sent out there, et cetera. But you also know that this is going to be completely insane because because because they're going loaded for bear and they're they're basically like, we have to kill this guy. Like they're not. They're not going in to be like, let's make arrests and everything like that. They're like, no, We're going to have to go kill these guys, and uh, which is it? Which is just you know, from a from a perspective as a film viewer, highly entertaining, and you're like this, I know that this is going to be good, and we're also going to get a lot of stuff that we didn't see and in that earlier film part of the film to round it out, So a lot.
Speaker 2: Of this basically obviously there is you know Nido's funeral where you know Naciamento who and we hadn't mentioned this, but had basically been looking to Nido as his successor. Yeah, another you know, squeaky clean, highly motivated, highly competent, a new guy that could eventually beat his success.
Speaker 1: But point out, can I point out also European presenting, there's there is a very interesting racial element in this film to where to where Nito there's something about him where like the bureaucrats who are also you know, Iberian, let's say broadly deal with him like as kind of a regular guy, and andre Is is black. You know, he's in law school and all that. But there's but that seems like that's like not on the table with the other officers, you know, in the organization, but it's not really it's not really expressed. And so to me, this screams that there's something going on there in the film, like behind that, but no one ever says it. They don't do the whole thing. Well, it's because Brazil's racist, they don't do that, which is very interesting. It's very interesting. But to your point, Nito blows it in his kind of like final training that you mentioned earlier, where they actually go in to a bombed out hellscape like it I think it's a I think it's a favella that was being bulldozed and there's still you know, drug gang holdouts, and it's literally like there's the guy with a rifle shoot him, right. It's literally that kind of an operation, and he does a very bad job of it, Like he ends up like out on his own, kind of like not staying with everyone else. It's kind of incoherent. It happens really quickly, but Nacimento is like, this guy isn't the guy and and so, which is another burden on Nacimento because you know, his wife is nagging him. I can't remember if his baby is born yet at this point in time, but.
Speaker 2: I think at this point she's actually left. She's gone to go live with her mother.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, but like, but he's also like, I have to be done with this, Like he doesn't want to do this anymore, or at least he says he doesn't want to do this anymore.
Speaker 2: So the last sort of civilian scene we see after the funeral is I mean, it's basically Andre breaking bad. So he finds out this rich kid drug dealer that he roughed up, ratted him out and got his friend killed, and he goes to a like a peace march, right like something you'd imagine it like one of the No No Kings, you know, protests that are kicking off in the middle of it just walks and it starts just wailing on this guy. It's it's a great scene screaming at him, trying to get information on it. And we've seen kind of in this build up and it's sort of interspersed between the last two scenes. We were talking about Bope going around to other dealers, torturing them to find out the identity of this this drug kingpin and uh whose name is uh.
Speaker 1: Something Britz, I think, but I can't remember.
Speaker 2: I won't say it. And so now they know, right, they're looking for this guy. This is sort of him fully discarding any pretense of you know, indexing with the system in that way, he's a full and total social para. And so now they're on the hunt stone cold in cell On, he's he's set aside women. He only desires revenge. And the final confrontation is very well done. But the way this movie ends, and when we see you know, Andrea sort of become Nasimento, right, he has fully sort of shed his humanity is you know, the dealer at the end, he's he's wounded and Nacimento hands a massan off shotgun. It's basically like, all right, you know what you need to do, and the dealer's on the ground. And this is the reprisal of that theme earlier we mentioned about about bodies right in the Importance of Funeral, he basically just says like, all right, you know, just just not in the face. I want my mom to be able to see me, and for the wake, for the wake, for the wake, and Andre levels the gun right at his face, cut to black. You hear a boom. So there's a little bit of ambiguity there, right, did he did he still have any mercy left? Or was he you know, sort of a true you know, stone cold killer at that point. I my version of it, Uh, just all in a genuinely great film. And like I said, thematically, what we're seeing is you know, Andre being stripped of his of his idealism, right, stripped of this idea that he can ascend up the social ladder, stripped of this idea that you know, he can can meet with the kind of you know, upper crust of society and do real good. The less of this film is ultimately it's like, no, the only way this can be solved is to stamp them out. It is to quote Rothbert right, to send in the hounds. And in order to do that, you can't be squishy. This cannot be half measures. It needs to be you know, brutal and uncompromising. And as I said earlier, sure there's a certain amount of fatalism to this, right, this irreparably broken system. But if we're looking at kind of the lessons for our guys, right, the things that we would find interesting in this film. One, obviously, the social critique of educated progressives is kind of funny, but also right, the idea that like mercy in defense of criminals as advice, that's what enables these sort of situations and to solve those issues, right, to solve that kind of deep corruption, it's like, well, you need killers, you need people who are sort of beyond human, they don't have morality in the same way that we do. To accomplish that end. And in order to do that, there's sort of no there's no half measures. Personally, you can't still have you know, your normal life where you hang out with your progressive friend, like it has to become your life, and that is your sort of purpose on the world is to be sort of a you know, a killer on behalf of the state it's a it's a really fascinating film. One of the things that we didn't mention is that Nacimento is constantly in and out of sort of you know, state mandated therapy, right with like basically an HR lady who is completely and totally hopeless in this film. You know, she's asking him the most kind of absurd, out of touch questions, you know, telling him like, oh, if you report anything, I'll have to take it up the chain of command. You will be kicked out of your job.
Speaker 1: Sort of.
Speaker 2: The ineffectuality of that kind of like managerial style in a situation like this, it's it is absurd, right, The idea that you know, one minute, he's you know, in like three hundred and sixty degree urban combat with you know, drug dealers, with Oozzi's, and then you know, when he gets back he has to answer questions about his emotional state. Another element that I wanted to bring up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know this, it's the stress of the job. It's the stress of you know, his his nagging wife, who is nagging for a good reason. You know, they have a baby on the way. What he does is incredibly dangerous and you know, obviously he's a different person than he than he was before. But it is this level of obliviousness where he's like, just give me a drug for it or something like that, you know, And there's one other there's one other thing that that he does, which again comes back to that funeral topic that keeps coming up as far as like separating them from the norm, and it's the it's Nido's funeral, which is very touching. You know, everyone goes out there and they're all they're very they're furious at this point, right, like the Bope guys are furious, and the you know, his casket is there and it's covered with the Brazilian flag, and Nasciamento walks up and unfurls the Baupe flag and puts it over it. And what is the Boupet flag. It's red and black with a skull and a golden dagger and two crossed pistols behind it. And so he comes in and he's basically like, let me remind everybody what this is about. Like, he's our guy, he was one of us. We accepted him. Ultimately, he was accepted. He didn't he wasn't making the cut, you know, to be to take over. But he was still one of our guys, and I don't really care about your norms. For his funeral, he was one of us. Which is incredibly interesting because if you if you notice, like it kind of upsets the civilians, like his family and stuff like that back there, the women are like taken aback by it, but all the men just get hardened and they're just they're just stone faced at that point.
Speaker 2: So several interesting things about the history of Because there are several elite Squad movies. Uh, I haven't seen any of them. I sort of like how this stands on its own. Yeah, I'm sure you've had the same experience, Carl, where it's like, I don't want to be let down by something other than this, you know, it's sort of the this yeah. Perfect. But what's interesting is that it's actually based on a book, and it's based on a book by two former operators, Bope operators and a sociologist. Right, And it seems as if there's basically no relation to whatsoever between the plot of the book and the plot of the movie. The plot of the book is basically about how like Beaupe or a bunch of like gross meanis who hate democracy and beat people up sometimes, and the movie is like, Bope is a bunch of super cool dudes who beat people up all the time, because yeah, exactly, which I think is is an interesting note. But from what I could see, and I am not Brazili and I cannot read Portuguese, but it does seem as if there's sort of a an echo of our high and low alignment on the issue of crime enforcement in Brazil as there is in America, where it is sort of fashionable in elite circles to you know, look down on that. Truly, wherever you go, the progressives are exactly the same. We mentioned some of the you know, the weapons in this you know obviously you have you know, the madicine that isn't like super prominent, but it's like probably the most interesting or unique we've got all the all the nineties classics, right, You've got a couple of really cool seeds with Nazi Vento with an MP five ooozies. Of course, a bunch of you know, horrible Taurus knockoffs of much better firearms. But the my and it's not ever given a lot of screen time, of course, is uh, you know, the guy's running CQB with a full length you know, m bel f a L which is yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And one of the things I noticed also is the when when there's the sniping scene, you know at the at the beginning, he it's a it's a Brazilian mouser. So it's the same rifle that they're using in their training scenes, which are probably pretty much just you know, rusted shut in the training but they you know, but in this one, so he has that and then it has like a forward like scout mount scope, so it's you know, super forward glass where that you know, the rear, the rear of it is in front of the action so that you can load stripper clips and stuff like that. I was like, hell, yeah, super great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is one of my favorite films. I was talking. I think I said this off air that it's part of one of my favorite unofficial movie subgenres, which is movies where guns are scary. Because the violence in the combat in this is exceptionally lethal. Yeah, people you know, drop quickly.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's not the sort of like John Wu style, you know, thousands of squibs going off. It feels very grounded. The cinematography in it is very much a product of its time for good and ill. You mentioned of course, the uh, you know, the lighting in this is extremely true to form, right, the kind of like sickly you know, greens and yellows, especially in the Flavella's one thing. And this is polarizing. I don't mind it, but some people really hate it. Is it has the very mid two thousands shaky cam right like you saw in the Bode movies and stuff like that, which certainly does add to sort of the frenetic pace of it. But one of the guys I was watching with it was like, dude, I can't look at this. My eyes are about to like I'm gonna throw up. So it's a minority position, but something to be aware of. The soundtrack to this movie, as we've already mentioned, some of it is kind of popular Brazilian movie music from the late nineties. Other of it is you know, moral orchestral is quite good if you're interested in that. And this movie is super easy to find. I think it's on Amazon if you're willing to sail the high seas because it's in Brazil. Of course, you can find a copy of it at your favorite website, but I'd highly recommend it It's very watchable. If you know you're you enjoy those kind of you crime movies, this is a very good one.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: The thematically, it's very tight, the messaging is very much aligned to your interests if you're listening to this. And also it's just a cool I wouldn't say low budget, but kind of mid budget movie. And yeah, I highly recommend it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's great. It's it's totally worth watching it. Again, Like I said before, it is a cautionary tale. It is absolutely a cautionary tale. There's something else that I noticed. I just have a little I scribbled it down, and it's worth mentioning. Every police officer's uniform has you know, like in the military, you have your last name on a patch and then it has their blood type right after it, which is totally makes sense. And it follows the theme of the movie, which is that they are they're going to be bleeding. They're going to be bleeding.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it is. The police are not superheroes in this, and I think it's important to mention, right, there are very real critiques of the police in this. It's in fact, much of the inciting motivation is the insane level of petty corruption, you know, going down to things like there is you know, a scene of police officers moving a body from one district to another. They're again very managerial, this whole system designed to not actually do anything but simply make it look better, you know, so you know, reporting murders as drowning victims or drug overdoses, you know, anything they can to you know, basically dodge responsibility for that. And again that creates the necessity for this sort of like we could almost say like odanic figure, you know, or this kind of like heroic figure that is, you know, Bope, and by extension, our main characters who you basically sidestep all of that, you know, who go and sort of meet evil on its own terms instead of trying to you know, manage it out of the exists the uh and I realize people are understandably annoyed by you know, quote unquote social commentary. It's it is certainly there. It is interesting, it is well expressed and not didactic. And also if you just want to watch a movie where guys shoot each other, you got that too. So yeah, Carl, I really enjoyed talking with you about this movie. It's one of my favorites. Uh, and honestly, I they're you know, the the Last Things Film Festival has been permanently shuttered. But I did do a review on it for that.
Speaker 1: Uh, that's right a year ago. Uh. I did movies with him.
Speaker 2: I really wish one did you do well?
Speaker 1: I did? I did The Killer and Hard Boiled, but but generally so good, generally talked about about John Wu and the uh the message of globalism in these films, in his films of the era. Yeah, the uh, I.
Speaker 2: Will say, my favorite Wo movie is Face Off. But that is a ridiculous film.
Speaker 1: It's It's totally ridiculous. John John Wu's movies are ridiculous. Most of them are not very good, like his older ones are not very good. That he was just cranking them out. But yeah, I face Off is Face Off is worth watching. It's it's insane and it and it gives you everything that you would expect from And John.
Speaker 2: There's a my this is unrelated. Maybe we'll come back to it, but uh, my brother in law, who I guess you have spoken too briefly, Carl, for unrelated purposes is uh super into uh like Prestige Hong Kong Cinema so like, like you know, chun King express all of that stuff.
Speaker 1: That's it's more than that.
Speaker 2: And that's just the one that I can remember, because I'll be honest, a lot of these movies are sort of passed me. But yeah, it's a very interesting cinematic culture discussion for another day. We're supposed to be talking about Elite Squad, aren't we.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, there are a lot of movies that are good. Well, Carl, thank you so much. This is a fascinating discussion. I've mentioned to the fact that you have a book Faction with the Crusader and then another one. You should read them. Obviously, your substack, your Twitter, You and I do mostly live streams. I assume everyone is familiar with you. Is there anything else I missed?
Speaker 1: No, I think that covers it.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I would love to close my commentary with a ringing endorsement from a critic of this film that was published in Variety by one Jay Weissberg, who called the movie a quote one note celebration of violence for good hyphening did that plays like a recruitment film for fascist thugs. End quote. Thank you, M. M.