Speaker 1: Center, Megan. Some Americans are living with Alzheimers or other dimensions. Find answers from leading brain health experts at you See Help Learn more at you sehelp dot com. North Pound seventy five, the heaviest of the highway traffic out of earl Linger into downtown. You're looking at close to a ten minute delay. Now northbound fourth seventy one filling in just a bit from Memorial as this southbound seventy five through the lock one split. Southbound seventy one looking pretty good into Kenwood. Chuck Ingramom fifty five kr see the talk station.
Speaker 2: Seven forty three fifty five KRCD talk station, Happy Wednesday in studio. Always a pleasure to have him here, Steve Belzo, the executive director of the Klema County Veteran Service Commission. God bless Steve and his service to our country and his ongoing service with the services provided by the Klemic County Veteran Service Commission. And to talk about something of vital importance to him and all veterans, and I would hope the vast majority of the American people Flag Day. Good to have you in the studio.
Speaker 3: Brian, You're the Coffee of Cincinnati. So thanks being.
Speaker 2: Out here, brother, that's a nice compliment. I appreciate that anyhow. You know, I love the flag and for me, the flag stands for freedom, freedom, freedom for you and me to live as we choose to live in a country doesn't force us to live in a particular way, and that's what the symbol stands for. And I hate the fact that people use it as a as a source of division.
Speaker 3: As a token to somehow divide the masses. I know, it makes no sense. They thrive to enter our country and yet then there's this movement to disgrace the symbol that we have.
Speaker 2: Well, and Flag Day is a great idea for us to get back on track. And it is coming up June fourteenth. When was the first Flag Day? And how long have we been I hope celebrating.
Speaker 3: Wow. Yeah, So the actual adoption of the flags back in seventeen seventy seven, we know, But the celebration of Flag Day started back in nineteen sixteen. However, it wasn't until it Woodrow Wilson of all people, of all people in nineteen sixteen entered legislation, but it didn't take and then it wasn't until nineteen forty nine. So you think about that. Thirty three years later, the National Flag Day was adopted by an Act of Congress. Isn't that something it is?
Speaker 2: It's sad when you think about it, but thank god at least they got around to it, right.
Speaker 3: Right right. I guess World War One kind of set it aside in sixteen. I don't know, a.
Speaker 2: Little distracted by that one, Yeah, I can imagine. Anyway. I tell you what we're up at a break, but we'll continue talk about the reason we fly the flag and why we should and the events coming up more with Steve Belzo from the Climate County Veteran's Service Commission, and God bless each and everyone there for all that you're doing for our veterans. Quick word for foreign exchange, get your car fixed for less. Traditionally import manufactured cars, whether from Asia or Europe, and Tesla's emphasize on that because they're all trained to service Teslas as well. Foreign exchange. I go to the Westchester location, Tylersville Legs in Office seventy five east to set's right on Kinglin. It's so close to the intersection right there, and it's where you get your car fixed for less. They have awesome a sc certified master technicians. You leave with the full warranty on parts and service and the best part about it. And in the reasion, you go there not just for the great customer service. It's less money to have your car fixed at Foreign Exchange. I know this from personal experience, year after year after year, and I wish I knew how much I've saved over the year's It's a heap load. I guarantee you that, so haven't take care of your car. They have a data access to all the manufacturer's technical information and they service everything from the exotic to the run of the mill. Foreign Exchange Online Foreign X fore of the letter X the Westchester phone number five one three six four four twenty six twenty six, six four four twenty six, twenty six fifty five KRC what quick chan and I weather forecast cloudy day to day and humidity rising eighty seven for the High. I got some clouds and a chance of rain every night. Just a slight sixty nine tomorrow, a good chance of rain during the day along with the potential for shower or storms. Rather eighty two for the High. Some more scattered showers over night. Sixty eight and more rounds of showers and storms expected for Friday on a high of seventy eight seventy one. Now traffic time from the UCL Traffic Center.
Speaker 1: Millions of Americans are living with Alzheimer's or other dementias. Find answers from leading brain health experts at you see Help learn more at you see health dot com. Northbound seventy five close to a ten minute delay from Donaldson into downtown.
Speaker 2: Southbound seventy five.
Speaker 1: Add an extra five through Wakland southbound two seventy five heavy yet once again between the Lawrence purg Ramp and the bridge. Shaw ingram On fifty five krc the talk.
Speaker 2: Station seven fifty fifty five KRCV Talkstation, A Happy Wednesday. Steve Belzo in studio, Executive Victor of the Comic County Veteran Service Commission, talking about Flag Day. It's next Saturday, and I have the honor of anticipating the flag retirement ceremony every year will be at the Union Township Civic Center. And I'm going to be audited to say a few words there and learn how to properly dispose of a flag. And there is a proper way, all right, and let's you know, maybe briefly talk about that.
Speaker 3: Steve Sure, you know most people are flying a flag that's tattered, torn, worn, dirty.
Speaker 2: Don't let Steve Tam see that, and then he'll give you an earfull.
Speaker 3: Homeowners aren't sure what to do. They may throw it in the trash. They may just let it continue to fly in this ragged Captain hook.
Speaker 2: It's almost like a white piece of cloth at the right time.
Speaker 3: Right so that there is a serviceability to our United States flag. And when you see it starting to tear or it's becoming frayed, worn, faded out, pull it down, put up a fresh one. But now what do I do with the one I just retired? Great question. There is a a description in many military manuals and the Department of Defense of how we retire and dispose of a flag. And that's done in a discrete ceremony, Brian. It's not done by wearing it into a new pair of shorts. We're not burning it in the front yard. It is a small, discrete way. Matter of fact that Claremont County veterans, we have a box where you can I buy another hook to dispose of your worn flag, and we will take care of that discrete flag ceremony for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's all what the flag retirement ceremony is all about. And there are drop off locations all around. It doesn't take much to find out where they are. But make sure you just don't throw it in the trash. I mean, it is absolutely it's a sign of disrespect. And if you really truly have respect for the flag as well, you should. You should take care of it properly when it's reached the end of its life and don't fly a tattered, worn flag that in and of itself is a sign of disrespect. And that's the purpose of retiring the flag. Why should we fly the flag? I have one minds up all the time. Man. I love driving into my driveway and see my flag hanging there, right because.
Speaker 3: Again, freedom it is. It is freedom. But there are some caveat with that. If you were flying your flag twenty four hours a day from dusk to dawn, she should be illuminated. There should be lights illuminating her. Otherwise we take it down at night. Yes, that is respectful. It's not to be hanging out beside the tree. And I guess they'll see it in the morning. So have it illuminated at night. Many of these flag poles today have this rechargeable battery and they shine down on the flag. And that's the purpose, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I love my neighbors and all and people like you that are standing for liberty, justice and freedom for all, which is what that great flag stands for. The whole world recognizes the United States flag.
Speaker 2: They do. And you know what I pointed off off air that you know, I think one of the tragedies, if you can even call that, of the fall of the Soviet Union, that was our moral barometer. That was the country of breadlines and political prisoners and oppression and outright murder of citizenry. You think about Stalin and all the people that they killed. Because you know, good ideas don't require force. Bad ideas require force. The flag represents the antithesis of that.
Speaker 3: When you are taking a naval or model forward to a foreign country. We see four pillars of power in the United States or of any government, diplomacy, information, military, and economic. When they see the military force off their shores flying the United States flag, they know whose navy and marines are on board. It is a show of force and it is a force of strength because they can recognize the flag that's flying.
Speaker 2: And the accomplishments of the American military in the name of freedom. I mean, we're not perfect. Nobody has analysis, that's right, nobody is well trying. We're not going to come there to How can you take you over and force things upon you or lock you up for your thoughts and beliefs.
Speaker 3: It's freeing other citizens in other countries bring in diplomacy.
Speaker 2: Well, I'd like to encourage all my listeners to if you don't have a flag, why not get one?
Speaker 3: Why they're inexpensive. Matter of fact, if you need one to fly, come see me in the Clarmont County Office. I have one for you. Then you will fly respectfully from a proper position in front of your house. But I gotta say, Brian Flag Day June fourteenth is also the Armies, my sisters and another service two hundred and fiftieth birthday.
Speaker 2: Exactly?
Speaker 3: Is that a by centennial and a half. I don't know how to count that. I'll just say two to fifty.
Speaker 2: It's an amazing accomplishment. And I read the article this morning from the the head of the Defense Department. He wrote a letter just sort of proudly letting everyone know that the Army has already met its recruiting goals sixty one thousand enlistees, four months ahead of schedule, and we were behind for the last four years. Yes, no one was signing up, and gee, I wonder why things have changed.
Speaker 3: When you look at the size of our Navy and our Army, it takes an exceedingly large combine to bring enough young men and women in to fill the ranks for them to exceed this goal is a phenomenal effort by the Army.
Speaker 2: Good on them, Good on them, and good on you again. Klamont County Veteran Service Commission. Amazing services they offer for my veterans in the community. You need help with the A benefits and the services, outreach programs, financial assistance. You could just go down the line. It would take me a couple of hours to get through it. All. You need to talk to Steve and the good people to the Claimont County Veteran Service Commission, and maybe even pick up a flag if you don't have one. I'm very kind of you to offer that and thank you again for your service to our country. Steve. It's always a pleasure seeing you and I'll be at the Union Cemetery or the Union Civic Center, Union Township next Saturday. What time is it start one one o'clock, so be there and you can also witness how to properly dispose of a flag. The Boy Scouts always show up and go through that procedure and it's a pheenominal, wonderful event. Gentlemen, take care great seeing you and proudly support the United States flag or remember the freedom that it stands for. Ryan, Thanks for your support, brother, my pleasure. Seven fifty seven fifty five CARES the talk station af top of the our news, we're going to be hearing from Mike Tripple, the director instructor for the Southern Higo Technical Institute Trades. There's jobs in the trade. He's gonna be talking all about a trade schools and special opportunities. That'll be next at the top of the hour. Every day we discover something new and important the day's top stories on fifty five KRC the talk station. This report