Speaker 1: The following program is produced by the Tech Talk Radio Network.
Speaker 2: Welcome to tech Talk Radio. I'm your host, Matt Jones.
Speaker 3: I'm not dead, I'm Sean's Weird, I'm Justin Lemmey, and I'm Andy Taylor.
Speaker 1: Good to see that you are not dead. Matt. It's been a while. How long has it been since you been on the show.
Speaker 2: It's been months.
Speaker 1: Yeah. People miss you. They say, where's that guy? Matt? They call in all the time. They don't call when I'm out sick, they call where's Matt.
Speaker 2: It's because I'm so pretty.
Speaker 1: Well. Now they can see you in better quality with Riverside FM. So there you go. We're all getting a chance to test this out today. Sean. I liked what we did last week with it, and it came out pretty good, very easy to use.
Speaker 4: So for I'm like the first comment was, hey, the video quality's better.
Speaker 5: So I mean, even if the layman is looking at it and going to qualities better. I know that YouTube and those other places that they can really muck up the algorithm and then the compression and stuff.
Speaker 4: But it looked really good.
Speaker 1: You sent me the link to it.
Speaker 4: Immediately.
Speaker 5: Notice a difference from what we had to been uploading the Zoom and I know that Zoom was keeping as it like six forty three twenty or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and this is great because I've got the thirty five hundred dollars Cameraight here, I'm running four K, so I'm gonna look beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the thing. So we're we're on kind of the testing plan for it. Was that a maybe not so.
Speaker 3: Beautiful cameras cameras watch your mouth, well I watch your mouth, mat.
Speaker 1: But we're you know, we're using the the kind of a test run for it. Next week. We may even go with the actual four K version to see where we It's just the problem is I paid for a Zoom subscription for a year. It's not up until February, so it'd be like I'm gonna have to find some other purpose for it because Zoom is just not delivering. And when I asked him, I said, wait, we all have HD. Why can't we, you know, get it in at least seven to twenty p And they said to do that, it's about two grand years.
Speaker 5: Just straight up, just straight up tell him you're gonna quit, Just straight up say I'm moving to a different platform.
Speaker 4: That's cheaper because your product socks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just it's just a total tell them that. Yeah. And you know the thing. One one of the other reasons I do like Zoom and I will give it to Zoom is their AI transcription. So afterwards I could go back and read what the show, what we said about in the show, and it's it's actually put in together into synopsis using AI. I don't do it word for word, but I go through it and I use it kind of as a as a template. It gives me the ability to edit.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: Turns out Riverside does this as well, and it does the clips. So again, I'm really happy so far with what I've seen. We'll see what we get as far as the actual with all of us and how it ends up looking. So yeah, let us know what you the viewer think about this. Matt. The reason you've been out is work.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Work has been a lot, learning a lot, very quickly getting spun up. I really am enjoying it. I like my new coworkers, I love my new shop. I am having a great time. It is just been thoroughly kicking mckeister. Yeah, and you know it's but it's good. I'm learning a lot there. I'm learning a lot with stuff I'm doing on my home lab. I'm I'm in a happy place.
Speaker 1: That's good. That's good. And I know justin you were at last week because it's just been kind of NonStop for you as your Is you gearing up for a new season or the wind down? Is that what finds you busy?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, I'm gearing up for back to school, you know, kids going back to school. We're having to do a lot of last little yeah, i know, right, last little day camp things. And then there's obviously days where I've just i have to watch them the entire day, and you know, having an eight year old kid running around, it's uh, you know, yeah, he demands attention all the time unless you're put him in front of a screen. So it's a it's a challenge for that. But yeah, and work side, Yeah, I'm just trying to wind down the season where we're getting close to the end of the season here and things are busy. We're you know, off season is kind of where we get busy with an it. You know, during the season, it's you can't really do much, you know, you gotta it's pretty much break fix. But when we get through the off season, when we're not in operation mode. Yeah, that's kind of when we get busy.
Speaker 1: I'm kind of wondering because you do an it for different groups within an organization, and of course one of the big things that we're talking about now, we're two months away now from Windows ten end of life? Have you getting me? You getting questions from some of your user base? Are they saying, what do I do? Is my stuff still gonna work? Is there a misconception that suddenly their computers won't work anymore? Or are you making sure everybody's updated? Well, for the most.
Speaker 3: Part, we're completely h updated. I mean, there's a there's a few computers that we have to rely on that are Windows ten, but we've paid for the extended support, so we have, I believe, until twenty twenty seven before we have to, you know, really start thinking about what we're gonna do here. But for the most part, we're we're on Windows eleven. Now, you know, there's a there's a lot of people out there there are still running Windows ten. In fact, there's that an article I read about the guy from California suing Microsoft saying that it's unfairly moving people to Windows eleven. I think his argument was trying to prepare people for the AI model, and you know, not really saying that Windows ten is not a good operating system. He's saying it's a fine operating system. But you're just trying to want to push everybody to Windows eleven so you can run your AI models and stuff. So I don't know that that's gonna be an interesting one to follow to see if that goes anywhere, But in terms of my world, we're pretty much on Windows eleven. Did anybody think it was strange though, that when Microsoft came out and made the announcement that, oh, well, we're gonna find different routes for those that are still using Windows ten and are not able because not everybody can update.
Speaker 1: It's not a choice for many people. It's just you can't. You don't have the equipment, you don't have the TPM two point zero, you don't have a suitable processor, just not the right situation for you to be able to update. And then he came out and said, well, we're gonna make it so that we can push security updates, so they still can do it, but push security updates, not feature updates, but security updates. If you allow us to use one drive and you connect with a Microsoft account. Now, if you're like I know most of us, I would think they use a local account. Suddenly now you're gonna have to use a Microsoft account with one drive to be able to get that. Or you could pay around thirty bucks and get the support for a year with the security updates. Is it make you feel like, wait a minute, wait, so you can help us, you can give us what we've paid for.
Speaker 3: I think that's what the the guy with the lawsuit is claiming. He's like, you are fully able to keep providing support for Windows ten. You don't want to provide support for Windows ten. So I think that's where this guy's lawsuit lies.
Speaker 2: I'm also remembering, like back in the day, when they were doing the initial press junk kits for Windows ten, they were like, we are moving we are moving on from Windows eight point one, and there was much rejoicing there. We're going to go to Windows ten, and I remember them being like, this is the last operating system from Microsoft you will have to buy, because we're just going to keep pushing feature updates and security updates and building it that way. We're not going to go past Windows ten. Fast forward to a few years later, they're like introducing Windows eleven and everyone's like, wait a minute, you told us we didn't have to do this anymore. This is not a feature update. This is a whole new operating system.
Speaker 1: If we think about it. Windows eleven has been around for how long, Like was it four years ago that when it came out that it was actually launched eleven? So I mean we've had all this time and ten has worked fine, eleven has worked fine, So why are they forcing this on the people? If they can do security updates for a year, they can definitely give it to everybody and without them having to pay the thirty bucks. So is it corporate greed? That's going to be a part of it, especially for companies because we talk about that thirty dollars for a company that's thirty dollars per seat, If they want to do that, you know, we're in a situation where we have computers that run specific software, specific equipment. They're not saying a word. They haven't said anything about Windows eleven and what's going to be happening past October Now? Some people are saying, well, why you guys even talking about it doesn't really matter. Then it does from a security standpoint, because we still would hope that we'd have these security features that you'd be able to update. Well, if somebody asked me, is this something that malware bites could do? Could it? Did Matt fall asleep or did his camera lock up? They froze? I looked at Matt's camera and I'm like, his eyes are closed. I think he fell asleep. We are all t maybe our listeners are doing the same.
Speaker 2: I don't know, honestly, Like it froze for a second. I immediately checked like all my bad and with this fine, there's no overhead, I can log into my all my networking gear, and it was like everything's fine. It was just for a second. Riverside FM was just like, no, I don't.
Speaker 1: Think it's he's and he's gone, Well he'll come back in a second, all right. Now, we didn't get a what the heck is it doing to him? All right? So, Sean, what about you? We didn't get a chance to hear from you, like what you so?
Speaker 4: Well if you want to ask about Windows ten.
Speaker 5: So we were told so the university has a very strict policy on when official support ends you cannot have a device that's ruined that operates this just about campus.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, all right, so they will.
Speaker 4: They will.
Speaker 5: I'm not joking when I say they will come to your office, knock on your door and say where is.
Speaker 4: This device plugged into this switch, plugged into that port. It's running Windows ten. That's what they're doing right now. They're auditing us. Right now.
Speaker 5: We have somebody from IT that's here in our office auditing our entire network stack and checking every computer to make sure it' scott Windows eleven or the most up to date version of whatever Linux version we're running, whatever version.
Speaker 4: Of mac OS we're running.
Speaker 5: Like, if you can't run the most recent version of mac OS that's been verified or vetted by the university, it's gone.
Speaker 4: It's gotta go. Well now, so it's it's pretty wild.
Speaker 1: So my question before we had Matt fall asleep, the question was could a third party program like malur bites, e set or any of those programs help provide that layer of security that Microsoft says, well, you'll lose if you don't update to Windows eleven.
Speaker 5: For a layman, yeah sure, yeah, sure, I mean you have people still running XP you still for people running seven.
Speaker 1: No, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean XP, Yeah, I don't know about that.
Speaker 4: There are still people running it because people.
Speaker 3: I have seen I have seen. I have seen countless YouTube videos of somebody who fires up a VM running Windows XP and as soon as they enabled that network adapter, within like thirty seconds, they've got like fifteen pieces of malware viruses just simply being connected to the Internet. Like they don't even go on browse anything. So I highly doubt anyone's actually running XP.
Speaker 1: Well that's a good point though, And here's something else too. If you run Windows ten and you're not connecting to the internet, it's just to do something within your network that's not connected to the Internet. You really don't have to worry about it. At that point you're gonna lose, you're not gonna get some feature updates, but at that point you're it's not gonna be too much of a security risk. We had Windows XP here at the radio station up until three years ago for doing our music and playing our automation. It was a system that Google it actually had bought Scott Studios became Google, and then of course that's what did it, and it just was not connected to the Internet. It was connected networking from the studio to the production room and that was about it. So we really didn't have to worry about it, I'll tell you. Making the update to Windows ten was kind of sweet. It was nice, just a little better. We're still not connected to the internet, you know, They're just connected within the network and that's it. So, you know, I just wonder. I just wonder how many people are just are fearful that Windows is going away. I did a TV segment on Monday about this, and there's a lot of people that are really frightened about it. That but with these two options, it still makes you wonder what the heck is going on that couldn't they just give that to you anyways for the for a price?
Speaker 3: I guess, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I kind of wonder too about third party companies that they don't make the software anymore. Somebody was using Windows ten and they want to start using Windows eleven and they can't update it, and now they're not going to be able to use that third party software. I ran into that with Creative Sweet five point five. I couldn't get it activated anymore.
Speaker 3: Speaking of just you know, Internet in general, I mean running an old operating system on the internet. Is is just definitely not something that you should be doing. Uh yeah, No, like I said to XP or whatever, you want to keep yourself updated as best as you possibly can. You know, yeah, I do know people out there are still running Windows seven, and I guess Windows seven still gets you know, and that doesn't really get any you know, feature updates. It might get a few security updates or anything, but it's just going to go the way of XP. I would just say, I mean, just just I mean, we talked about it a couple weeks ago. You know, if you're concerned about having to constantly buy a new operating system over and over and over, you know, do what we talked about a couple weeks ago, run Linux. Yeah, and Linux is getting so much more exposure now. There are more people writing about it, more people talking about it, more people testing it out, showing you know, the different and we have told people, Sean, you mentioned this last week on the show, if they have an old computer, what should they do.
Speaker 5: Little Linux on it. I mean, you have an older computer, some older with with a little bit of extra effort, most older men can also run Linux. I mean they're all just running Intel process. There's anyways is Linux Mint. It's super easy. There are tons and tons of guys online to just here's how you install it. You can be up and running in a short period of time faster. You can faster than you can with Windows. So I just I highly recommend if you're at least technologically curious about not running Windows, Linux Mint rufus and you're off and running.
Speaker 1: Sean, you're kind of the Mac guy out of the group. I think, I don't know justin You're you're not a Mac guy, right, No, So I'm just wondering, Sean, do you think this will cause some people to say, em, I'm gonna go ahead and try Mac.
Speaker 4: Oh, one hundred percent. So I have a coworker who just said, I'm done with Windows. I'm done.
Speaker 5: Loved how the M four chips work, sports, everything we need to do, we're all we mostly have Max at work, so he was kind of getting introduced with it there too, but he either runs Linux or runs Mac. He just kind of got fed up with Windows eleven. The bloat, the ads, the complications of what I think the co pilot stuff, and then the recall portion of it kind of triggered him. In terms of his his vantage point on privacy and security. So I think he kind of got spooked by that.
Speaker 3: So much better.
Speaker 1: Is recall still a thing though? I mean, is that to me? It was like everybody's talking about it, and then it was like, eh, I think they recalled recall. I know you could turn it off.
Speaker 5: But Linux, I mean, if you don't like when, I mean, it is what it is. If you if you're used to it, it's it's people are gonna use it no matter what. You're not going to convince the masses to give it up for privacy.
Speaker 3: This is the part where we really needed Matt back in the conversation right here, because he recently just went through the whole process of just getting rid of big tech from his house. I mean, he talked a little bit about in pre show getting rid of all of his Google speakers, is Amazon, Alexa's, there was ness, doorbell, you know, all that stuff, because you know, they're just it doesn't matter even if you you know, he was telling me privately, he was like, yeah, you know, we turned off the we turned off the microphones on our on our speakers, and we would be having conversations and yet we'd still get ads based on that even though the microphones were turned off quote unquote air quotes there turned off. Now, some some listeners may may may not know what you're talking about because some of this technology that we bring into our homes and we we think it's cool to be able to ask a device to play a song for us, or set a timer.
Speaker 1: You know. I I every night, I set I mentioned the other day, I set mine to wake up to a certain song or certain artists every morning, and at you know, four fifty in the morning. Uh. And I looked at Glory and I said, man, to think we used to do this with an alarm clock, you know, or that old AMFM radio Clay you remember those things. Now you just do it with your voice. But some people don't understand that that stuff that they that they are talking about, suddenly they get ads on their Google accounts or while they're browsing that were stuff that they were talking about. You saw this first, sand justin.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, absolutely, yeah. I mean I'll reiterate what happened a long time ago. I just kind of tested it. I walked around the house and we had an what was at Amazon Echo the Alexa, right, and we had a couple Google speakers, and I'd walk around the house and I would just casually mention the words Lamborghini Ferrari Portia, you know, just just randomly. I wasn't talking about them. I would just say the name Lamborghini Ferrari Portsie over and over and over for about three days. And then all of a sudden, all my social media accounts, you know, read It and Facebook and whatever, my Google ads all of them were for luxury vehicles.
Speaker 1: Wow, and you had not.
Speaker 5: Just this past weekend we went to gen Con in Indianapolis, which is geeming tabletop dice. Literally all of Klans social media is now dice. In board games, ads, Oliver ads are for dice. Here's where you can get done.
Speaker 1: Well, that's to go.
Speaker 3: They track you on your phone.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, I know. I'm just saying.
Speaker 5: This is the simple It's it's all based on geo tracking. It's all based on what you've searched for, It's all based on what you know, you're what you're like on your friend's profiles.
Speaker 4: It's it's all tracked, and I mean an algorithm.
Speaker 3: And again it goes back to the old adage. If you're not paying for the product, you are the product Google and Amazon. Amazon is a retailer, but for the most part, Amazon and Google are advertising data scraping companies. That's how they make their money. They sell your data, that's how they get their money. So having these cute little speakers in your home that you can, oh, look at this, I can play a Spotify song, sure, yeah you can. But you're also giving them every piece of your data and and everything that's going on, you know, in your life. You know, it is a funny story. And this has I know we're talking about them tracking you. This has nothing to do with them tracking you, because you're gonna get it when I mentioned this, but it's it's not not in relation to this. But we you know, my little speaker, I have a Google speaker next to our bed, and I always play relaxing like creek sounds or thunderstorm sounds. I love those. Yeah, And so I'll tell it. You know, hey, you know play you know, thunderstorm sounds for twelve hours and it'll just on repeat. It'll just keep playing like thunderstorm sounds. And a few nights ago, I don't know why, but like I think it was like two thirty in the morning, all of a sudden, the thunderstorm sounds stopped, and it was like, attention, men, do you have ED? And I was like, oh my god, what like in the middle of the night it decided to play an ad It had never done that before. Really, in the middle of the night. It was like, attention, men, do you have ED? Come to our clinic.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, I've noticed have you noticed it?
Speaker 4: Also?
Speaker 1: Okay, So here's the other thing. We talk about our devices. One of the devices we have in our homes that we you know, it becomes the cornerstone for entertainment. I'm not talking about your tablet, your desktop, your notebook, your television. Your television is talking to those advertisers.
Speaker 3: Oh app yeah, I use pie hole, you know the Raspberry pie.
Speaker 1: Does that block some of that TV? Absolutely? It blocks.
Speaker 3: Every time my Samsung or LGTV tries to reach out and call home, it blocks it. And I've I've downloaded these these lists that give domains for it to block. And so my TV tries so hard to try to contact and call home and say here's what he's been doing with the TV, and it can't do it. Finally, after a while, the TV it won't even show any of the apps anymore, and it just it just like becomes a dumb monitor.
Speaker 1: Wow. Now can somebody set up high hole pretty easily? Sean? Did you set that up?
Speaker 4: I set it up on my Synology?
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too, all right, and well it us Is it easy to set up? Can somebody go on line and get all all the instructions how to do it? Because I mean you can buys.
Speaker 5: You have to be I mean, you have to be familiar if you're doing it on as analogy with doctors. Yeah, but alling that way and configuring and you know, understanding DNSS, and you know, there's a handful of things you have to under have a rudimentary understanding of. There are guides if you're if you like you watching YouTube videos and learning, just watch a YouTube video on it and you'll build a figure it out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not too adi. It's a lot easier if you actually use a Raspberry Pie because basically you can download an entire image, flash it to an SD card, pop that SD card into your Raspberry Pie, plug it into your network, and then just simply point all of your devices at that Raspberry Pie as it's DNS server. Because a lot of people at home, they're using you know, they're they're likely using Google DNS, which again goes back to the adage. We're talking about. Google's tracking you there everything you do on your computer. Every time you go and search for a website, it has to use DNS to try to figure out what is the IP address of that website. While if it's using Google DNS, it's saying, Hey, Google, this guy's searching for you know, Kansas City chiefs or whatever it might be, you know, and it's going to start serving you ads based on that.
Speaker 1: Now, if somebody's using an antenna, and I know not everybody can do that, are there's no way that they could be tracked that way, is there? If they've switched to antenna mode.
Speaker 5: If your TV is a smart TV, it can absolutely track what application you're using on your oh, unless you've turned it to the RF tuner, but most of them have an app that you launched that goes to the digital tuner. You're not, so it's so it's still your TV still knows you're watching. You know, you're not changing it to channel three or channel four, right, you're using the the live TV mode.
Speaker 4: Of course, your TV knows that you're doing that.
Speaker 5: It's tracking what how long you've been on e chap, what app you switched from, in which app you switched to?
Speaker 1: How long?
Speaker 3: What? What's your volumes set at? What's your color correction? You know, are you set at the dynamics settings of color? Do you have HDR turned on? So it's sending everything.
Speaker 1: I'm a little older, so obviously I probably pump up the volume a little more. Got close captioning turned on so they could tell, Oh, this guy's older, let's pump them ads for you know, hearing aids, yeah, or arthritic pain relief, that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yep.
Speaker 1: Wow, the world revolves around commercialism. All right, we got to take a break. We come back with more of tech talk Radio. A big change was announced. People that relied on a way to get connected to the Internet not going to be able to do that anymore. We'll talk about that coming up with tech talk Radio. I'm Andy Taylor.
Speaker 3: And I'm justin let me. We'll be on the web. You can find us there at tech talk radio dot com.
Speaker 5: We'll be right back now back to tech talk Radio.
Speaker 3: All right, So before the break, we kind of teased upon this, but a major change is coming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's it's a little bit sad.
Speaker 3: It's a little bit nostalgic. AOL the old Internet that a lot of people used to use.
Speaker 1: But Whmerica can online.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like back in nineteen ninety nine we had over, you know, eighteen million subscribers. I used to work for America Online at the call center. They are now ending their dial up internet service. Wow, that's that is, they say at the end of September.
Speaker 1: Yep. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Who knew that Skype would be killed off before AOL?
Speaker 1: Yeah, wow, good point. Never even thought about that.
Speaker 3: I'm just gonna miss the you know, I mean, it's gonna go down in history, but I'm just gonna miss the old dial up sound.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's screeching. Yeah screen.
Speaker 3: We used THETI but now we all, now we all it's nostalgic. You know.
Speaker 1: Well I used to I don't know about you guys with dial up though. I used to connect to BBS's, you know, the bulletin board systems, and those were a lot of fun, you know, especially for us in morning radio. We had a BBS where we connect, share notes and do all this stuff, and that was a blast. But AOL was just a great way for your listeners to reach out and connect with you as well. But now one thing to make sure of, A well is not going away, and it has not gone the way apparently AOL is still there. I still have an AOL email that I checked the other day. It was like, so we still you still can use AOL. It just your dial up. You won't be able to dial up into it.
Speaker 5: My earliest Internet memories are tael netting into a luminet.
Speaker 1: Bbs, oh my gosh, which.
Speaker 4: They still are available. You can still get them.
Speaker 5: And I actually have a pet project that I'm working on that is building my own bbs.
Speaker 1: Really like the old school bbs. Yes, wow, that would be kind of cool.
Speaker 5: It's it's it's a I actually bought the domain from the original owners of it that ran the bbs in my hometown, and I've been talking to them and we're in the process of rebuilding it.
Speaker 1: So now, what would it be? What would you do with it?
Speaker 5: I mean I would host I would host archival content from my hometown.
Speaker 1: Now a lot of people go on social media to do that, but this would be kind of nostalgic and a different way.
Speaker 5: To to It'd be a way for those who want to find it can find it, a creative way for people to get on the internet, search it out. If you're interested in this kind of thing, it's gonna be a very niche thing, right, it's gonna be. But if you're interested in it, if you know about it, it's gonna be a cool way to log in, see what it is, maybe have a conversation, maybe post some content, maybe back up some stuff.
Speaker 4: It's it's gotten some cool.
Speaker 5: I don't know, it's very nostalgic for me because, like I said, it's my very earliest memories of connecting to the internet.
Speaker 1: So oh wow cool. You know. The thing is, I was just stupid thinking a second ago, thinking well, there's no ice supports anymore, because that's how we always use. Somebody talking did what was Yeah? That was creepy.
Speaker 4: I heard it in the background.
Speaker 1: I was like, wait, what was that? You turned around a little scared. It's wants to participate in the show. We were talking about Google, you know, I was thinking about there's no remember the internal motives. We all had three hundred bod but there there were external motives. I wonder if motems are well, obviously people are using it to connect to the net, to connect to AOL. Now it's gonna go away. What are these people going to use that for? Can they still like AOL.
Speaker 4: Is the only service?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 5: There are other deal providers that have services still, but realistically, starlink it's a little bit more money, but it is significantly more reliable. They've only had two major outages over the last year and a half two years that have been resolved within thirty thirty six hours or so. Realistically, that's your best option for a way better bandwidth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there are other smaller local a lot of like co ops that serve like farm communities and stuff that will provide you with dial up, but a lot of them. You know, my mom lives in a very very small town, a town of probably less than a thousand people, and they actually have a local co op, which means it's kind of owned by everybody that actually provides cable internet and cable TV. So even in a small little town like a thousand people, that can serve that kind of area. But then when you go out of town, you know, to a certain range, I don't know what the range is. Then yeah, you're left with you know, being on cellular, cellular internet or star Link or possibly dial up that that company does provide dial up to some of the farm communities around, but people not able.
Speaker 4: Too, and people forget too.
Speaker 5: As as the providers jump higher to hire take the five the five G, those frequencies, those frequencies don't travel as far. So now you have more cell phone towers and shorter businesses because you're trying to serve It's like fifteen hundred feet line of sight from a tower that serves five.
Speaker 4: G ultra wide.
Speaker 5: So if you're looking to get that ultra high bandwidth from a cell phone plan, you're gonna have to just accept that you're gonna see more cell phone towers.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: I'm wondering, like when you go with options that we all think about how we have gone on this Internet thing. And I remember moving from Coachella, California to here in Tucson. I was so excited because we had you know, it was a faster connection and it was so exciting. We're getting right now as I speak in the front yard, my front yard's dug up because Wired is coming through and laying the fiber. I took a picture of the cables. I'll put it up on our blog of the cable line because they're all gone. So I took off one of the cones and took a picture of the cable line itself as they're fishing it up the street. I don't know, is fiber gonna be really something that I would say, Okay, time to leave Exfinity and go with this wired fiber.
Speaker 5: I did it one year ago, right I left Exfinity. Metro Net came around, put flyers hundred ours in six months. We're gonna have one gig service. Great, perfect, It was reasonably priced. It was only eighty bucks a month for one gig. That's really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I was paying sixty five for three hundred down but god knows what my speed was up with Exfinity, and so I went with metro Net.
Speaker 4: It's been great. Maybe one outage since we've gotten it. The downside. About two weeks ago, he announced they got bought by T Mobile.
Speaker 1: Ooh, so what happened?
Speaker 4: Don't know what.
Speaker 5: That means for me? Am I going to be a T Mobile customer now because I've been getting inundated with Hey, you now have T Mobile because you have Metronet, come come buy ourself.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I know T Mobile has been in Green Valley. I know that that's been one of the options for people. And that's the downside to these companies that we had. Actually it was a different company completely that was going to first be coming in here and then all of a sudden the work stopped because they were going up the street marketing where they were going to be doing all the work, and then it stopped. And that about a month later it was announced Wired was taking it over. And that's the thing. You never know. They might come in and be there for a while. One thing you can say about Exfinity is that it's been there for a while now. Their new ad campaign or if you guys have seen this is you know the WiFi is booming because they're talking about that you can have an Exfinity account and connect to Wi Fi wherever you're at, you know WiFi. Exfinity is my my wireless provider. Now I switch from Verizon to Exfinity. But now I don't know what's going to happen if I decide to go with this wired service.
Speaker 5: I'm just going to say I caution against like I'm always skeptical about this and skeptical about that connect anywhere wirelessly because it's so shady, I think, because you never know what the access point is when you're connecting wirelessly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's an infinity access point, but some people's infinities in their homes.
Speaker 5: Just like Amazon tried to do with Amazon Sidewalk, they allow people to turn on their access points so you can connect in areas that may or may not have wireless coverage.
Speaker 4: So you don't know where your data is going.
Speaker 5: Oh, it's protected and to end decryption, but that's you never know who's sniffing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Thank You can go into your settings and you can say that you opt out that you don't want to be able to share your connection.
Speaker 4: But either way, realistically, what users doing that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, there's not a lot.
Speaker 4: I mean that's a lot.
Speaker 5: There are some people that are like tinfoil hat and we'll go in and turn all this stuff off, but the generic user is not turning that.
Speaker 1: Off, right, Okay, it's the same thing.
Speaker 3: I don't agree with that. As soon as I heard that, you know, Xfinny was doing that kind of thing where you can use everybody else's internet and be able to just connect to their internet, I just thought, Nope, not not a chance. I'm not letting somebody connect to my Internet because then I don't know what kind of stuff they're searching for.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: They could be searching for illegal content, downloading illegal content, and then I'm gonna be the one to get pinged for it because it was on my account. Yeah, it was on your IP yep, and it was on my IP. I'm not going to do that now, you know you We talked about fiber just a little bit. I've had I've had fiber for ten years, over ten years. We really got fiber as soon as we moved into this house. It was from CenturyLink. But then just last year century Link spun off and they they divided their company, so century Link Lumen will first off Lumen Yeah Lumen, Yeah, you know, yeah, they went Lumen, so it was Lumen and then they spun off Lumen to the commercial side and created Quantum Fiber for residential. It's still the century Link Lumen infrastructure and there and their their their glass. When I say their glass, I mean their fiber because fiber is made of glass. It's still their glass, but it's now through a company called Quantum Fiber. And I've had nothing but great luck with Quantum Fiber and Central Link. I've had maybe three outages in the past ten years, so it's actually worked really well for me, So I like it.
Speaker 1: Now, Matt, you're you're running fiber too, aren't you? I am, And how's your experience been?
Speaker 2: I think, like Justin, I've had maybe a handful of outages in the five years I've lived here.
Speaker 1: It's about it versus what you had before, h versus.
Speaker 2: What I've had before, and in other places it's just not been nearly as reliable. But Century Link and now Quantum here where I'm at, the fiber experiences just been absolutely phenomenal.
Speaker 1: Now, both both you and Justin, You're you're in a major market. Though you're in a major city, Denver is Let's face it, it's one of the big cities. Is there one that stands out as far as a provider out of all of them? Justin? Are you using that provider?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean that that's in a major market. Yeah, well yeah, Quantum Quantum Central Link is is the biggest, probably besides Exfinity. But again with the fiber, I mean, Exfinity does not provide fiber. If you got you know, Comcast business then yeah, you can get Fiber, but Exfinity is their cable cable internet, and cable internet inherently is not the best because you may get great download speeds, but your upload speed is horrible because you're also sharing. It's just the technology. It's the technology of cable internet sharing it. You're sharing it with everybody else. And also you're also sharing your download. So at thet at peak times of the evening, you're not going to get the same download you would if you were doing it at you know, two in the morning. Whereas Fiber it's dedicated. It's dedicated up and down to each person everywhere.
Speaker 1: Now, as far as motives, where we're at right now with the technology, I remember, you know, every time there was some kind of increase, Oh you gotta you gotta have this motive you have the doxis three, doxas two, I mean, where are we at now? And then Ethernet are we in Cat five of Cat seven? Now? Like Wi Fi seven? Where are we at with that?
Speaker 2: So you've got Wi Fi seven is is the new current Wi Fi standard. Uh and the big jump between six and seven seven was dedicated to just punching as much speed through as possible. So I mean, looking at mine right now, I have I'm connected via Wi Fi seven, and I'm connected on the two point four gig, the five gig, and the six gigahertz band all at the very same time. So I'm using as much as I can to get as fast as I can. According to my computer, which is breathing again for right now, I should be getting like two point three gigs up and down across Wi Fi seven. Now, what I just read the other day an article is even though Wi Fi seven has now been kind of finalized and the standard has been pushed out, they're already working on Wi Fi eight, And the difference is seven was just make it go fast. Eight is okay, We've got to make it go fast down, make it reliable, make it reachable, make it powerful. So now we've moved from focusing on speed to on signal quality and signal penetration, which has always been Wi Fi's downfall.
Speaker 1: All right, we got to take another quick break. We come back with tech Talk Radio. I want to find out about, if we don't lose you again, your home lab and what that's all about, and why somebody could create this and the reason behind it. With more of tech talk Radio. I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Sean to Weird, I'm Matt Jones.
Speaker 3: And I'm Justin. Let me send us an X at tech talk Radio. We read back, and now back to tech talk Radio.
Speaker 1: One of the big things when it comes to gaming, of course, was announced It's Gaming Fun the Nintendo Switch too, and I don't know anybody that got one except for Justin so far wanted to get your thoughts.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, I was lucky, I think. I mean, you know, obviously it came out and everybody you know, grabbed it off the store shelves right away, and I thought, okay, well, this is going to run the same way as it did with the PS five and the Xbox you know, series S and X, where I was going to have to wait, you know, a year for it to come out. But I was actually running by a best Buy one morning. I was on the way to work and I stopped in and I just said, hey, you guys got any switch toos And They're like, yeah, we got like seventy five of them, and I was like, oh wow, okay, I'll take one. So I bought the bundle that came with the Mario Kart and then also I bought the Donkey Kong game that that was extra, so I want.
Speaker 1: To get think it was.
Speaker 3: I think it was like after tax it was like maybe like six' ten think it, was so, YEAH i mean it.
Speaker 1: Was it, was you, know pretty.
Speaker 3: Expensive it was For, eric you, know he'd been begging for. It he's been wanting it so so, bad and he really really wanted it and we gave it to him and he was crying and he just he was so so happy and wanted to play. It and, yeah he played it for like a day really and then, WELL i mean he still plays it every once in a, while but he's still, like you, know super hooked on you, Know minecraft and things like. That so it's like IF i take him out to go play games or, Whatever i'm, like, hey let's, go let's go over To bruise and let's play some. Games you want to bring the switch or you want to bring your, computer and he's like, computer you, know every single. Time, Computer so it's kind of, like, well you, know it's so.
Speaker 1: Don't get me.
Speaker 3: Wrong the switch too is. Good the screen is much, bigger the quality of the graphics much, better the controllers are much. Better THE i like how they just click on now instead of having to slide them on and. Off that's really. Good the the the kickstand is obviously way much. Better so overall it's a great new. SYSTEM i just think, there's just as any new console it comes, out there's not a lot of games for.
Speaker 5: It.
Speaker 3: Now it still does run the Original switch, games and some of The switch games are actually, run you, know with increased a, resolution like they're, upscaled but for the most, part you, know most of the games are just kind of run at the standard. Thing and they're coming out with some. REMAKES i, mean they're coming out with A legend Of, zelda you, know all the ones that were for The, switch Original, Switch they're like remaking them for The switch to And i'm just, like, yeah that's kind of more of a. Gimmick SO i think it's gonna be time will, tell let's see what kind of games come out for. IT i Think Metro prime four is going to come. OUT i think there's gonna be a New Smash. BROTHERS i think that. MIGHT i THINK i heard a rumor about. That but as it, stands it's a good, system but there's just not a lot.
Speaker 1: Of games for. It, well The Donkey kong won is the one BECAUSE i used to Play Donkey kong the arcade game AND i loved. It it was the best, one you, know going up the adders trying to get to get to the top and save the. Princess And i've Not i've not found found a stand up for that. Either so just to be able to Play Donkey.
Speaker 3: KONG i think this is not the same kind Of Donkey kong that you would think. This This Donkey kong is more Like Super Mario. Galaxy it's open. World you're smashing through, things you're smashing into you, know the, ground and you're digging your own tunnels in the. Ground it's it's kind of like it's it's it's a different style of open. World it's very very. Interesting i've never seen anything like. It you can kind of forge your own way through the. Level you don't have to run along the beaten path as per. Se you can literally punch your way through a wall and then connect up with the next part of the level way down the. Line so it's kind of like this giant, sphere uh inside of a, game and it's completely destructible and every sort of every sort of, way and you can just kind of complete the level how you want to complete the. Level so that's kind of interesting about, it but it's also it's a little confusing unless you know what you're.
Speaker 1: Doing. WELL i know that you have to bounce, out but before you, DO i wanted to tell you A Turtle beach made an announcement if you saw, this they're putting out a budget headset for The Switch, too go to be Out september, third AND i, thought oh, cool, right how much is it gonna be seventy eighty? Dollars twenty seven? Dollars? What, yeah twenty seven. Bucks it's a wired, headset it's not, wireless but twenty seven to twenty eight, bucks making it very. Affordable so you've invested the money in The Switch, too and now you can have a headset to go with. It so also that works out pretty. Good, anyway, listen hopefully you'll be able to join us next week BECAUSE i know you you got to bounce, out but now we want to find out about the home. Lab so justin thanks, again And, matt can you tell us about your home?
Speaker 2: Lab, absolutely my wayward little, CHILD i will be on all that BEFORE i have such a love hate relationship with this thing at this. Point, like so back WHEN i first started, THIS i was, Like i'm going to use this as a learning. Experience i'm going to repurpose old, hardware and kept going through iterations Where i'd, like get to a certain, point break the whole thing have to. Restart like at one POINT i was, Like i'm going to do this via ansible and terror. Form it's gonna work, great, right and THEN i pushed an update that destroyed the entire Open ssh stack across every machine AND i could no longer log into any of. Them, ooh like all, right so we're going to start, again And i'm going through and going, through and THEN i started. REALIZING i was, like, this this one node is being really really, weird and it. Was it was like a ten year old. MACHINE i ran some checks on, it and it was it was. Dying so the lab now currently consists of A lenovo Think Center mini an Old Dell. OptiPlex i got both of those Off. eBay they're refurbished for really. INEXPENSIVE i don't want to say cheap. Inexpensive there's an Actual eBay store The Nevada school for The blind and they referb hardware and sell it, out and it's a way they make. Money but it's great hardware at a really low. Cost so it's those two nodes and now A synology Nass synology nine three plus with four drives two or fourteen, terabytes two or three, terabytes two to one terabyte solid state drives for a, pool and thirty two gigs. Around SO i made this little box. Beefy and the REASON i did all this is because NOW i have gotten rid of all of The nest devices in my. HOUSE i have replaced them with Either bluetooth speakers or real link. CAMERAS i now have living on one of those little machines is A docker container running this cool program Called. Frigate frigate ingests all of the streams from those cameras and saves all that data to My sonology. Drive so it's kind of the equivalent of you, know The nest, monitoring AND i can access that internally or. Externally and then my project for this week IS i have a replacement for one of those machines coming. In that's a bit beef. Here along with these are really cool. Chips they're really hard to. Find Their google coral chips and their machine learning, chips and those will go into the new, machine which has kind of an ANTIQUATED, gpu But i'll be setting up AN ai detection, system so the machine learning chips will handle so, sorry THE gpu will handle decoding the frames from the streams, right and then those chips will actually use machine learning to identify like, cars license, plates people, faces things like, that and frigate will tie in To Home assistant and then push all those alerts to.
Speaker 1: Me so if somebody comes to your door that it, recognizes it would, say, oh this is Your Aunt betty coming to.
Speaker 2: Visit and because of HOW i have the camera set, up it would be Like Aunt betty is walking up your front. Drive Aunt betty just rang the, Doorbell Aunt betty just pulled a hatchet out of her, purse And Aunt betty looking through some things With Uncle, joseph and you should probably call the.
Speaker 1: Cops oh, man this is. Cool so you're really training your OWN ai to, do so you're not counting on all these other. Experiences it Is MATT'S. Ai, yes that's.
Speaker 2: Kind of where we're starting with. It and THEN i was using CHAT gpt as kind of my second brain AND i was, like, hey what.
Speaker 1: Else could we do with?
Speaker 2: This Like i've got all this, Equipment like how much farther can we push? This So i'm going to start installing my OWN llm on, there my own large language, model you, know grab some of the open source, ones AND i really want to drive to the original idea of a smart, home like where you you do have all these features that we have in smart homes now through Like google Or alexa or who Or apple or. Whoever BUT i want to own all the data there you. Go and this all came about WHEN i was upgrading the home network AND i installed A unify Sorry Ubiquity Unify cloud, gateway AND i looked at some of the stats AND i was, like how AM i uploading sixty gigs of data To google a?
Speaker 5: Day?
Speaker 2: Boa and THEN i looked AND i was, like all These nest cameras are constantly pumping all that. FOOTAGE i was, like and as soon as it goes up, THERE i don't own it. Anymore that's. True, Yeah and there's a there's actually there was a news article just the other day that came out That ring said that they are just going to allow law enforcement access to footage that they hold without a warrant because it's their footage even though it's from your house and your. Device the terms of service say that when it's, uploaded that's now their footage and they can allow access as they. Please so they're going to give warrantless information to surveillance footage from all those cameras that they have to law. Enforcement and the MOMENT i saw, THAT i was, like not THAT i have anything.
Speaker 1: To, hide but, No i've Had i've had law enforcement come to the house Because i'm one of the FEW i think that has a camera system that is visible from the street there and they've come asking if they could look at my, footage you, Know AND i mean that's something that the law enforcement they, yeah they want to be able to do. That so very interesting how that's gonna work? Out? Now has this been kind of a pain to set? Up do you get help in the coating on? This so.
Speaker 2: It has been a titanic pain to set Up, Initially the biggest change was honestly WHEN i got this synology in there.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 2: Uh their container management solution is very intuitive and made things a lot, easier especially with like intra container networking was SOMETHING i kept tripping up on.
Speaker 1: For THE it.
Speaker 2: People just remember if it's NOT, dns it absolutely IS. Dns SO i kept HAVING dns, issues but CHAT gpt was helpful in walking me through some some definite stumbling. Blocks my My yamel game for yamal files has definitely gotten a lot, STRONGER uh and just my my General linux And docker. Knowledge it's been a great learning. Experience at this, Point i've got a unified cloud, GATEWAY i have a core. Switch the whole house is Wired cat Six cat SIX. A i've got two point five gig edge switches in three different places WHERE i need wired. USAGE i upgraded the access points To UNIFY u seven, pros so those all have a two point five gig uplink to the two point five gig. Switch so that's the networking, stack and THEN i ran through the the home labs stack. Earlier BUT i basically have a small to medium grade enterprise set up in my house that's way overpowered for WHAT i. Need and Tonight i'm going to install A minecraft server just BECAUSE i.
Speaker 1: Can oh, nice, nice could you host your own server for outside? Connections, absolutely.
Speaker 2: There are several things That i've set up that you KNOW i can access OUTSIDE i actually one of them IS i did set up my OWN plex, server so that has been. GREAT i, know hypothetically one could use us net to populate THAT plex server with. Material again purely, hypothetically But i've got a couple of different programs that are all all interconnected VIA api. Calls so you, know IF i want, to you, know dump a file in, somewhere it grabs it from a, monitor file, location renames, it moves it to the proper, place indexes, it uploads it To. Plex Like I've i've had a lot of fun and there's a lot more THAT i want to still. Do, Uh gryfana and, Uh i'm gonna Use graffana to build a nice little. Dashboard i've got a monitor set up. There But gryfana is mean. Man, well maybe if you get a, chance you could send us some. Links we could share it on the blog if our listener will look more into this about trying it. Themselves, absolutely and if you, WANT i can also throw pictures of physically How i've got it all set. Up but, Yeah i'll send uh links to the Guides i've been looking at.
Speaker 1: All, right quick, break we'll be back with more of tech Talk. Radio I'm Ady, Taylor.
Speaker 4: I'm sean To.
Speaker 2: Weird I'm Matt, jones.
Speaker 1: And you can find us on the web at tech talk radio dot. Com we'll be right back.
Speaker 2: And now fact to tech Talk.
Speaker 1: Radio it was announced this week that many people who have been fans and waiting for the Next battlefield video, game if if you like playing games and you've played The battlefield, franchise that there was going to be number one release date they got FOR i believe It's october tenth For battlefield, six but they're giving people the chance to try it out and that's open.
Speaker 5: Beta even beta will run over two periods of, Time august ninth and tenth And august fourteenth to, Seventeenth so that just helps them get an idea of what the server load's going to feel. Like it kind of gives you an idea of what the game is going to feel, like find out any game breaking, bugs that kind of. Stuff you ever done a beta like, This, Yeah i've done betas for several games over the, years some of the some of the Original battlefields Also battlefield four.
Speaker 4: Right some of the Other blizzard games THAT i, play and some other just other.
Speaker 1: You have to have like a killer, system a gaming system to be able to.
Speaker 5: Do to be, HONEST i think it was like a ten SEVENTY ti was still like the bottom end of the.
Speaker 1: Spectrum, oh most people will have a little better. Anyways, yeah you can go.
Speaker 5: To their webs EA's website and find out what the specs. Are but all, right, Cool and THEN i wanted to bring one more thing. Up all, right what do you think across THE os? Is what's the market share Between, Windows MAC, Os, Linux CHROME os and? Other?
Speaker 1: Oh, man oh, yeah forgot About CHROME os. TOO i would say Probably microsoft holds the biggest piece of. PIE i would say much as the. PIE i would say it's about fifty two, percent.
Speaker 4: Seventy to seventy one Percent? Windows is it really?
Speaker 1: Still?
Speaker 5: Wow this is based off of Stat, counter which is the website that it pulled.
Speaker 1: From, right what About Mac mac? Six that's? It?
Speaker 4: LINUX i don't, KNOW i feel like it's.
Speaker 1: Right and Then chrome IS. CHROMEA i don't know very many people that just stick With chromet unless it's a laptop for. School that's ALL i think of WHEN i think of. That BUT i don't know If windows has got to be that, MUCH i would think it's a little. Less, well those numbers will.
Speaker 4: Change put for Phones android seventy, TWO i was twenty six.
Speaker 1: Percent really, wow so Well. ANDROID i looked at the New android this past. Week you got to check out the, video the one From, asus the raw rog nine Oh, man The rog nine pro pretty amazing. Again check out the website tech talk radio dot. Com you see the video. There that's it for this. Week we ran out of. Time thank You sean for coming. ON i think next week we should have hopefully Have matt the whole. Crew everybody will be with us and if you've got questions email them tech guys at tech talk radio dot. Com I'm Andy, Taylor.
Speaker 4: I'm sean De.
Speaker 5: Weird just find us on the web tech talk radio dot com or are there social, medias and have a great. Week