Speaker 1: Afraid to face the tax collector tomorrow. Fed up with high prices, I want to get away from that.
Speaker 2: Uh. We offer you Escape.
Speaker 1: You have shipped aboard a south Sea schooner with a ghost of its dead captain in command. A ghost who shoots guns, resurrects the dead, creates a terror from which you cannot escape.
Speaker 3: Escape produced and directed by William N. Robeson, and designed to free you from the four walls of today for a half hour of high adventure.
Speaker 1: To night, we escape across the limitless horizons of the South Seas. An Alfred Nois version of a classic legend of blue water. The log of the Evening Star.
Speaker 4: Tahiti, French Oilcania, June nineteenth. The sailing schooner Evening Star, reported missing since the first of April today, was discovered one hundred miles west of here, drifting about in a dead calm, with all sails set but not a soil on board. The ship, when found was well stocked with food and water, and all three of her small boats were still present. The sun bag body of the ship's cat was lying in the bow, and the mess table in the crew's quarters had been laid in preparation for a meal which was never served. Otherwise, everything aboard seemed to be in order, and no solution can be offered to explain the whereabouts of the twelve persons who sailed on her from San Francisco. It appears that the fate of the Evening Star will remain permanently one of the weird and unsolved mysteries of the sea.
Speaker 5: My name is Harper. I'm first made of the south Sea schooner Evening Star. I'm writing this because I believe it my duty to make some record of the terrible things which have just occurred. Events I can't possibly enter in the ship's log I can't, of course, be certain that this account will ever come to light, because I'm not likely to live another twenty four hours. I guess I should have been able to see it three weeks ago, on the day we sailed from San Francisco, but I didn't m I remember I was standing on the deck of the Evening Star talking to Cato, the cook, while we waited for Captain Burgess to come aboard. We were due to sail in a half hour.
Speaker 6: Where you think we go on this trip, mister Harper.
Speaker 5: Oh, I don't know. Cato Marquess first, then Tahiti may beyond Australia.
Speaker 7: He's good to Reveport. He's bitter on open sea.
Speaker 5: Hm, you said it.
Speaker 6: We'll seemed very strange this trip without Captain Derell.
Speaker 5: Yeah. We'd had the same gang together for over two years.
Speaker 8: Mm.
Speaker 5: Some kanakas and the crew, you and I and Burgess Dayrell. I to believe he's been dead four months now, and.
Speaker 6: Then Captain Derrelle was proud man was good captain. He's too bad he died.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, Burgess will make a good skipper too. Who's all right? His first mate?
Speaker 6: Why he not come on board yet?
Speaker 5: Captain Burgess? M I don't know, just can't bear to leave that new Briday is.
Speaker 6: I guess you have seen her, mister Harper, you know her? Maybe?
Speaker 5: No? No, I haven't. He's been staying down the coach somewhere ever since he got married a couple weeks ago. I don't even know who she is.
Speaker 6: New wife? You come on? Who is a rocky man?
Speaker 9: Kto?
Speaker 5: I got a strong hunch you're a sentimentalist down underneath.
Speaker 6: Ooh, it's possible, mister Harper.
Speaker 5: It has been said, Hey, Keto, there's Burgess now, coming down.
Speaker 6: The Piero's somebody with him too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, guess she's come down to see him off. Huh. At least we'll get a chance. Nah, that's missus Dayrell.
Speaker 6: Yeah, maybe she go on ship to just like all time.
Speaker 5: No, she wouldn't want to sail on the ship her husband died on. I wonder, mister Harper.
Speaker 6: Mister Harper, Look, three birds fly around the bust.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I see him, Kato.
Speaker 6: He's really bad side, really bad.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't know what you mean by that. All right, Captain Birges, we can sail any time you want. How are you, miss Daiel Dayrell.
Speaker 9: Oh gouse, mister Harper.
Speaker 10: Even though you're already acquainted with the lady, i'd like to present my wife your wife.
Speaker 8: We were married two weeks ago. Mister Hopper, I'm sailing with you on this trip.
Speaker 5: Well that's fine, glad to have your board, Missus dal Birges. I mean, well little be like old times.
Speaker 9: Old times, mister Hopper, Well.
Speaker 5: I mean all of us together and everything. Well, congratulations to both of you.
Speaker 8: Thank you, mister Harper. Look, I've brought Satan along too. He wouldn't miss this trip for anything.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's right and all. Oh yes, adan, uh, would you like to look over the Clarence papers, Captain Burgess, I got 'em right here.
Speaker 10: Oh, thank you, mister Harper, I assume there in order, He'll say, as soon as missus David, as soon as my wife's trunk comes aboard.
Speaker 9: Yes, sir, I'll be in the cabin if you wanted to be.
Speaker 8: Uh, Kato, would you take Satan and give him something to eat?
Speaker 6: I think he's hungry, Yes, missy, I'll take him right now.
Speaker 9: Come on, kiddy, we gonna fight.
Speaker 8: We well, mister Harper, we're all together again.
Speaker 5: That's right, Missus Burgess. We've even got Satan on board.
Speaker 8: Yes, all of us except my husband.
Speaker 5: Your husband is down in the cabin. Missus Burgess, you mean we're all here except Captain Dayreel. Well, once out at sea, things straightened out a little, the way they always do. After a while, we got so we could think of her as Missus Burgess instead of Missus Dayrell, And after that it wasn't so awkward. Captain Burgess stayed to himself quite a bit, but all in all it was a fairly pleasant three weeks up until yesterday afternoon. I was standing in the bow smoking, watching a school of dolphins skip out of the water, when Missus Burgess came up behind me.
Speaker 8: Mister Harper, I wonder if I could speak to you a moment. Of course, Miss Burgess, I'm I'm terribly frightened.
Speaker 5: You're frightened. What about?
Speaker 8: Is he around anywhere?
Speaker 5: Is who around?
Speaker 2: My husband?
Speaker 8: I don't want him to hear me?
Speaker 5: What now, missus Burgess, I can't listen.
Speaker 8: No, please, you're the only one I can turn to. We're all in terrible danger.
Speaker 5: You know danger. What are you talking about.
Speaker 8: Mister Harper? Do you have any reason to think my husband maybe not quite himself?
Speaker 5: Not quite himself? In what way?
Speaker 8: Do you think he may be? Insane? Of course, but you don't understand.
Speaker 5: I understand one thing, Missus Burgess. I'd better get back to my duties.
Speaker 10: I quite agree with you, mister Harper. Captain Burgess, I believe you really should stay in the cabin. My dad's far too windy for you up here in the bow.
Speaker 8: Yes, I was just going, I mean, I'm going right now.
Speaker 10: She has a rather delicate throat, Mister Harper, catches cold easily.
Speaker 9: Used to be a singer, you know, yes, sir, I know.
Speaker 10: Oh yes, yes, of course you do. We don't pay too much attention to anything. My wife might say, mister hoppoh Jesus, well she's upset.
Speaker 9: Just don't pay any attention to him.
Speaker 5: Something was wrong, all right, no question of that. But I couldn't figure what. I couldn't think of any terrible danger. It seemed more likely it was missus Burge's. It was not quite herself. Well, anyway, the whole business didn't make much sense, so I shrugged it off and forgot about it for a couple of hours. It was just at dusk. Most of the crew was below decks. I was sitting on the after hatch, scratching the ears of Satan, the ship's cap. The sun was just dropping past the horizon, and Satan was purring, me owing. Everything was pretty peaceful until I heard those voices coming from Captain Burgess.
Speaker 8: Captain No, no, really, I didn't.
Speaker 9: I wouldn't tell anybody, you.
Speaker 5: Know, it wasn't a matter of eavesdropping. They even forgotten anyone might hear him.
Speaker 9: I mean it, all right, you don't care about me. If he were alive, I.
Speaker 8: Still be with him.
Speaker 9: You can say that when you know about the thing that's here.
Speaker 2: On board with us.
Speaker 8: That's your imagination.
Speaker 9: I told you that imagination then, not what you told Harper? Is it do?
Speaker 5: Look satan? This is what he wants me to do, Captain Burchason, Captain Burgess.
Speaker 9: Yes, mister Harper, what is it?
Speaker 5: I wondered if you wanted Cato to bring your dinner here to the cabin, sir?
Speaker 9: No, mister Harper, I'll eat at the wheel. Tell them to bring it up right away, all.
Speaker 5: Right, capt'n Burgess.
Speaker 8: Mister Harper, listen carefully.
Speaker 5: You've got to help me, all right.
Speaker 8: How meet me on the after deck as soon as it's dark in an hour, if I can get away from him.
Speaker 5: Did you want something else, mister Happer, No, sir, nothing else, Captain.
Speaker 9: I suppose you know about you do this?
Speaker 5: But your wife, Sir, doesn't she want something to eat?
Speaker 9: She does not, mister Harper, She's indisposed. She does not wish to be disturbed. Is that popping declare? Now?
Speaker 5: I was convinced that there was danger aboard the Evening Star. I had a feeling that something deadly it was stirring itself and coming awake below decks. The first night's shadows were bringing her terrible threatening tenseness. I felt that I ought to scream to keep from laughing. Yet there was nothing to laugh about. I was quite certain that if I hadn't knocked on that door, Captain Burgess would have killed his wife. But why well, I hadn't found any sensible answer by the time Cato brought a tray of food in my.
Speaker 6: Chappin good evening, mister Harper.
Speaker 5: Oh put it there in the chart table with how does it look on that Cato?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 6: That I do not understand you, mister Harper.
Speaker 5: I mean, well, was it dark yere oohs.
Speaker 7: Get dark soon? I think, and I think too. Tonight is not goodnight?
Speaker 5: What do you mean by that?
Speaker 7: He's something bad onboard ship, mister Harper? I know understand what I know see it, I know hear it, but inside I've seence it all the time, grew bigger.
Speaker 5: Well, that's your imagination, Cato.
Speaker 7: He's the imagination bother you too, mister Harper.
Speaker 6: Ah, this morning three birds fly over ship together.
Speaker 7: Oh, dey a bun much incense? The can uh to night three birds fry over ship together?
Speaker 5: Well, what about it?
Speaker 7: He's a sign of death? Mister Hopper, to night on this ship. Somebody die?
Speaker 6: You like something else?
Speaker 2: Maybe?
Speaker 5: Oh, kidto that's all, thank you.
Speaker 6: Mister Happer, good night please.
Speaker 5: So I wasn't the only one on board it was feeling something was wrong. I wondered if Catroo knew any more of what was back of it than I did. You couldn't tell by looking at him. He could be busting with joy or scared half to death, and that face of his would never show either one anyway. Ten minutes later I was out on the dark fantail, watching the moon cast shadows from the rigging. After a while I heard her calling my.
Speaker 9: Name, Harper.
Speaker 5: Here, I am, miss Burgess. Where's the captain?
Speaker 8: I don't know. He didn't come back to the cabin.
Speaker 5: All right, I suppose you tell me what it's all about and talk fast.
Speaker 8: I don't know what it's about, mister Harper, not really. I only know that my husband has gone insane.
Speaker 5: And you told me that earlier. What makes you think so he tried to kill me? Yes? I know why, because of last night.
Speaker 8: He came into my cabin and woke me up.
Speaker 2: He was trembling.
Speaker 9: Why does a sheep but why?
Speaker 8: He said he'd just seen Captain Dalrel.
Speaker 5: I'm dead Deyrell, but he's yes.
Speaker 8: He died four months ago. I told him he imagined it. He keeps talking about it. He says, Captain Dyrel has come back to to punish us.
Speaker 5: Punish you for what well, but.
Speaker 8: Not waiting longer to get married?
Speaker 9: Who You've got to do something?
Speaker 5: Well? If I use force, missus Burgess, it's the same as mutiny.
Speaker 2: But he's insane.
Speaker 8: He may do anything.
Speaker 5: I se you're right there. I don't know, but what wait?
Speaker 9: Hm, there by the mast, it's day rail.
Speaker 5: There wasn't any doubt about it. The moonlight behind him threw his shadow toward us on the deck, and he had on that tall peaked cap and the white muffler he'd always worn when he was alive. He didn't move, didn't say anything, just stood there looking at us, Miss Burgess Before I coul stop or. Miss Burgess turned the round to the rail and jumped overboard one of the kanaka. Saar grabbed a light reserver and went in after it. I ran to the long boat hanging in the davits of the port rail. I don't know, Let's get this boat in the water. Missus Burgess is overboard along with one of the boys. Did you see anything on deck?
Speaker 2: Oh? What I see?
Speaker 9: I believe, But come on.
Speaker 5: Move here, take the oars. Schooner's not gotten much stories way, so they should be far astern. Come on, come on.
Speaker 12: Bye.
Speaker 9: Somebody's shooting on day all right?
Speaker 5: Never mind keep rowing, will you. We'll find out about it later. We've got to pick up those two before they go under. We didn't find him, though, the shooting on board stopped after a while. We rode around for a half hour more. We couldn't find a trace of them. Finally, there wasn't anything else to do, so I told the kanaka to pull for the schooner. We were about ten yards away from the side when.
Speaker 9: Mister Hopper look.
Speaker 5: I looked up at the rail and there stood Dayrell. He didn't say anything, just stood there. He had a gun in his hand. Hey, Reel, what are you trying to do that over Joe? We gotta get away from it, Joe. We were drifting away from the side of the schooner. I felt a sharp pain in my shoulder with a bulleted hit, but the kannaka was worse off. Blood was running down over his face, from a hole in the center of his forehead. That's when I passed out. When I came to, it was broad daylight. The boat was lying. I was lying and was bumping up against the side of the schooner. Captain Burgess was talling down on me from the rail.
Speaker 9: Mister Hopper, are you alive?
Speaker 5: I'm all right, Captain Burgess.
Speaker 9: In a horrible night, mister Hopper, it's all right. Now.
Speaker 5: Can you help me boort you?
Speaker 9: Yes? Can you lift up your arms? Yes, sir?
Speaker 2: Here easy?
Speaker 9: Now, okay, Joe, you can't get me a hand here, caple.
Speaker 10: Now, there's pretty bad wound and kind of weak.
Speaker 5: Yess. I lost a lot of blood. Sorry about your wife, sir. We couldn't find her.
Speaker 9: I know. Only three of us left alive on board. Now, mister Hopper, you and I and Cato here.
Speaker 5: What happened?
Speaker 9: You may not believe it. It was Captain Darrell.
Speaker 5: Yes, I saw him, got a.
Speaker 10: Hold of the ship's guns and killed the whole crew. Locked me in the cabin while he did.
Speaker 5: But he's dead, Captain Burgess. We buried him at sea four months ago.
Speaker 10: No matter, he's come back now, mister Hopper. It's his ship evening star. Isn't he wants it now?
Speaker 5: It's not possible. A man is dead.
Speaker 9: That's what his wife.
Speaker 10: I mean, my wife said when I told her i'd seen him, said I was crazy.
Speaker 9: I think she knows better now.
Speaker 5: Maybe we could search the ship.
Speaker 9: Kato and I went through to daylight this morning. We found nothing.
Speaker 5: Well, there has to be some explanation.
Speaker 9: There is the wicked. She'll be punished their sins.
Speaker 5: What do you mean by that, I think, mister Harper.
Speaker 9: Nothing at all.
Speaker 10: Well, I was his friend, always thought of a lot of Captain Dayell. You know that, don't you, mister.
Speaker 9: Harper, Yes, sir, all right now in the daylight. But he'll come back tonight as soon as it's dark.
Speaker 10: It's only the three of us now to face it, mister Happer, for if you count Satan, and I'm thinking there's more than one Satan on board this ship.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 5: They helped me to the bunk in my cabin and left me there. That was about noon today. I could tell her with the look on Captain Burges's face, it well, it was pretty certain I wasn't going to live. That's why I decided to write this account, try to set down everything that happened. In a way, this is the real log of the Evening Star, even if it doesn't make much sense Anyway, right after sundown, Cato brought me in a tray of food.
Speaker 6: How do you feel, no, mister Harper.
Speaker 5: I guess not too bad, Cato?
Speaker 9: You like something to eat?
Speaker 5: Maybe later? Maybe you can leave it there?
Speaker 2: Uh is?
Speaker 6: But you eat now? Rita, I think we all did.
Speaker 5: Has anything happened yet?
Speaker 6: He's not dark yet? When he's dark, didn't he come?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Where's Captain Burgess?
Speaker 6: I no see him? He's hide somewhere.
Speaker 5: I think, Kato. All those who were killed last night, what happened to their bodies?
Speaker 7: He's buried in Cea. This morning, I helped Captain Burgess. You you like something else?
Speaker 11: Maybe?
Speaker 5: No? Thanks, Cato.
Speaker 6: Didn't I go burn much incense?
Speaker 7: Make peace with many gods for last time?
Speaker 10: Now?
Speaker 6: I think goodbye, Breeze.
Speaker 5: I lit the lamp over the bunk, and I lay there for a long time. I don't know how long. I didn't know where Captain Burgess and Cato were, what they were doing. I kept waiting to hear the sound of shooting, kept lying there, dreading it, and then gradually I began to realize that somebody was singing onboard way off, and I knew that voice. I'd heard it somewhere before, singing the same song. It was Missus.
Speaker 11: Burgess, stopper, mister Harp, with you.
Speaker 5: Here, I heard, Captain Burgess. What in the name of heaven's going on?
Speaker 9: She's come back to She's in there with him now in the cabin.
Speaker 5: Oh, that's impossible. She drowned last night.
Speaker 9: She's dead, they boasted. But they've come back there in the cabin now. But she's singing for it.
Speaker 10: She never sang for me, mister Harper, but now she's singing for him.
Speaker 9: Come, mister Harper, you gotta help me. I'll tell you. They're both in the cabin right now.
Speaker 5: Yes, sir, I don't know too.
Speaker 9: Week I forgot. I'll go aload, I'll stop them. Somehow. I got to stop them.
Speaker 5: I pulled myself up in the bunk and I put my feet on the floor. Weak or not, one way or another, I had to get to that cabin. I managed to stagger outside under the deck. Captain Burgess had disappeared somewhere, and there was no sign of anything moving there in the moonlight except satan the cabin and came up and rubbed against my ankles. Singing had stopped, and the ship was quiet. I made my way forward and finally was looking through the skylight down into the captain's cabin. One lamp was lit. Its light fell on the hunched figure that strode about the cabin, cap pulled down low, hands sunk in his pockets, all the old familiar gestures. It was Captain Dave, and he was alone. I crouched there with the skylight, shivering from the night wind and from the terror inside of me, watching that awful figure. After a while, it walked over and stood beside the phonograph. Then I realized where that voice had come from. Dayreel had always been crazy about his wife singing, and he'd made a lot of records of her voice. Was playing one of them. Now. The song went on, and he paced back and forth, and I still couldn't figure it out. And then for just a moment, the white muffler fell back from his throat, and for the first time I saw Captain Dayreel's face. I'm not sure how I managed to stumble back here to my cabin. I'm writing this now, just as raptily as I can. I may be interrupted at any minute. If that happens, I'll try to slip it behind the map here on the cabin wall, in the hopes that it may be I can hear him coming. Now, whoever may read this, please try to get word of my family in San Francisco. Yes, come in.
Speaker 9: I thought you might be asleep, mister Harper.
Speaker 5: How could anybody sleep, Kevin Burgess as long as Dayrell's loose on board.
Speaker 10: Yes, that's true, mister Harper. Should have seen him down there in the cabin and heard too. He was walking up and down as proud as ever, and she was singing for him just like she used to.
Speaker 9: We should have seen him.
Speaker 5: I did see him.
Speaker 9: They never sang for me like that. Not it you saw him? Did he look natural, just as always?
Speaker 5: Captain Burgess. It was you I saw, dressed up in Darrel's clothes that were stored in the sea chest there in the cabin.
Speaker 10: Oh no, mister Happy, you're mistaken. It was his spirit come back to punish us.
Speaker 5: It was you all the time, you who fired those shots last night. You're insane, that's what she said too. That's because he told me, because that's the truth.
Speaker 9: I always been talking to you.
Speaker 5: He's taught to nobody. He's dead and you've never seen him. Accepting your own guilty conscience, Just what is that guilt? Captain Burgess? Did you kill him?
Speaker 6: Oh, don't.
Speaker 13: Don't say that, mister Harper.
Speaker 9: I was his friend.
Speaker 10: I thought a lot of him and missus Dayreel too. Everybody knew who were friends.
Speaker 9: I did he tell.
Speaker 13: You that you're completely mad? Don't say that, mister Harper. I've got to save you from him. He talks to you, and you're week and you can't run away. I've got to save you.
Speaker 5: Car Just put on that gun, don't don't say it.
Speaker 13: Got to go someplace where he can't find us, mister Harper, Go up, Dick, I'll take you.
Speaker 9: Mister Harper, come on, h don't worry. I'll save you from him. His ship, everything on it. He wants it back. We've got to give it to him, mister Harper. Got to let him have it. Got to get off the ship. It's you. They wrong. Go away. You can't stop us.
Speaker 8: Day round.
Speaker 9: I'll show you. See, mister Harper, I killed him. They will.
Speaker 14: Now he can't stop us. There is again fare by the mass. See him, mister Harper, he's coming this way.
Speaker 9: He won't stop. Got to get.
Speaker 14: Away, got to save him, mister Harper. Here he's the rail.
Speaker 9: I'll help you there. See he's God Damnell.
Speaker 2: No, it's just me, and.
Speaker 9: I'm going to you. See it's all yours now, The Evening Star, just like you wanted to. No, no, look stay back, I'm going. I'm going.
Speaker 12: Ah ah.
Speaker 3: Escape is produced and directed by William N. Robson and to Night brought you The log of The Evening Star by Alfred Noise, adapted for radio by Less Crutchfield, with Jack Webb as Harper, Alan Reed as Captain Burgess, Gale Page as Missus Burgess, Louis van Rutton as Cato and the Cat, and Petrokolvig as the Connachar. Music is conceived and conducted by Wilbur Hatch.
Speaker 1: Next week, when you are tied out from doing nothing all weekend, when Blue Monday stairs you in the face.
Speaker 11: Next week, at this time.
Speaker 1: When your problems seemed just too much for you, we are for you.
Speaker 5: Escape.
Speaker 3: Next week we bring you another exciting story of high adventure. Good night then until this same time next week, when once again We offer you escape. This is CBS, the Columbia Broadcasting System.