Speaker 1: You're listening to why we do what we do? Welcome to why we do what we do? I am your synthesized contingency host. Let's already use that one before, in which case I'm just your running out of bright ideas host Abraham, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Your aren't you excited for another acronym? Host Shane.
Speaker 1: We are a psychology podcast. We talk about the things that humans and non human animals do, and we are in the part the fourth part of a series of discussions about a tool used by behavior analysts very commonly in clinical settings and I guess experimental settings, and which we are trying to determine why certain challenging behaviors happen, particularly among individuals who might have impacts from diagnoses, trying to understand how to get their needs met in a way that is not through those sort of challenging behaviors. So, if you have not heard anything up to this point, we will try to do a brief recap on what we have discussed so far. I do still encourage you to go back and check out those previous discussions to have the foundation that you would need to access this discussion. But I can't control what you do so welcome either way. If you're joining us for the first time, then I hope you enjoy what you hear in this discussion. And if you're a returning person and welcome back, I'm glad you have continued to seek what we are providing out for your entertainment and knowledge growth. But that's what we're up to today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're so excited and ideally and we always kind of jinx ourselves when this happens, but this will likely be the last of the functional Analysis series as we kind of wrap things up, bring it to present day, and maybe even look at some strong opinions that we have on this.
Speaker 1: So yeah, we get into our hot takes.
Speaker 2: I'm excited.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's I had planned for this to prob be three discussions, and obviously we needed more than that, so four feels like it should be sufficient, but I could be wrong. Yeah, yeah, yeah, As you said, we tend to be long winded. We know a lot about this, We have a lot of personal experience with this, We have stories to share and insights to impart upon everybody, and so we sometimes will go off script a bit and just elaborate, and that does mean more and longer episodes. But I thought we were gonna wrap this up in three, so I think we should be able to wrap this up in four.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Either way. It is August nineteenth, so happy International bo or maybe Boo Day. Maybe it's a bobow a balbo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a balbo bal bun. It's bal buns. We like bal buons.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: It's an International Orangutang day.
Speaker 1: Okay. It is National Aviation Day.
Speaker 2: I love that. It's National Hot and Spicy Food Day.
Speaker 1: Ooh, celebrate. I'm here for it. So you're National Medical Docimmetrist Day.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, it is even better. It's National root beer Float Day. Oh.
Speaker 1: I love a beer float. Someone once took me up with one of those. That'd be great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, somewhere is like the perfect time for a root beer float, or like a like an orange creamsicle float, like an orange soda float.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, I think I know what I'm doing after we record.
Speaker 2: Today In Australia, Like, you know, they call cream soda spiders. Do you order a spider? Like that sounds horrifying? I like, is this a real thing?
Speaker 1: Are you?
Speaker 2: Yeaheah no no no no, But like I like I was. I was at a hotel, like, and I was walking by and They're like, we have milkshakes and spiders, and I was like, that is horrific. But apparently that's what they call their cream sodas.
Speaker 1: Okay, they just put the spiders in the milkshake.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and it tastes like orange.
Speaker 2: Oh no, wow.
Speaker 1: Fact of the podcast. Hopefully not Hopefully we've got more contents the podcast. But all right, well, moving on, National sand Castle and Sculpture Day.
Speaker 2: Fun, so fun. They do contest here. It's really cool. It's National Soft ice Cream Day.
Speaker 1: I like some soft ice cream.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's a potato Day, Love me some potatoes too. Some good foods going on in.
Speaker 2: This food day. Yeah, get to root your float and some French fries. Oh my god, life is good. It's World Humanitarian Day.
Speaker 1: Oh beautiful. Love that. It is World Photography Day. It's a good one too.
Speaker 2: Yes it is. And it is Minority Enterprise Development Week.
Speaker 1: Okay, very nice. Yeah, all right, Well, the holidays are fun and we do them because this podcast comes out on a holidays day of things, and it's fun to just communicate those whimsies as a little teaser, a little easing into the discussion whatever we're going to be talking about, even if it's a light discussion. I don't feel like this one particularly heavy. It's technical, but not one of those more like emotionally heavy episodes that we have done in the past. So yeah, there's just a fun thing we'd like to do. So anyway, if you enjoy what you have heard so far, and you enjoy what we say after this, and you're thinking to yourself after this podcast ends, I'd really like to help these guys out. There's a variety of ways you can do that. You can leave us a rating, a review, like subscribe, tell a friend, or join us on Patreon, and I will talk about those things in a little bit more detail at the end of this discussion, so that I do not delay our beginning any further than that. But I think we've done all the intro things. Are we ready to talk about fays, Yes we are. Okay, let's do a quick recap on what we've talked about in the first few episodes up to this point. First, what we did is we discussed the fact that the concept of a functional analysis, before it was an experimental technique, was largely a theoretical exercise. It was the unpacking the variables in sort of a discussion format about what could be happening with some aspects of human behavior. But then in the nineteen eighties, essentially we get to some studies that are being published that describe an experimental arrangement in which variables are tested to try and determine what are the reasons that some individuals who have disabilities might be engaging in some challenging behaviors. And in those original studies, in particular, there were self harm type behaviors. They're injuring themselves, and they were trying to figure out what is going on with these individuals.
Speaker 2: Right, And the goal of those arrangements were to primarily isolate variables, right. It wasn't to test lots of variables together. I mean, just like any sort of experiment, we want to figure out you know, functional relations or relationships between those variables that we mean manipulate and the outcomes of that said manipulation. And so that's essentially what this new arrangement was designed to do, was to figure out causes of behavior by isolating singular or at least as close to singular variables that we could to see if it did influence behavior one way or another. And what we found was pretty exciting because it was pretty pretty I mean, we were able to see pretty clearly that there were some influences.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and conceptually the way they sort of thought through this was all right, there could be social reasons for this that like, it's something about what other people are doing, that's why we see this self harm, or it could be something else. It could be either in a way, either self stimulatory or and we didn't say this before, but it could be a medical thing. So it's like, if this is an internal issue why they're doing this, we could rule that out from it's a social issue from why they're doing this. And so in the social issue we can test either positive reinforcement which is being mitigated, delivered and otherwise arbitrated in a way I guess by some other people, some external third party, or negative reinforcement arbitrated by that external third party. That was the way we'll sort of break out the social aspects and if it's not those, then there's something internal going on that's it might be self stimulatory or it might be And they didn't really delve into the extent to which they determine a medical condition, but it could be some kind of medical condition, right, right, And so which is kind of clever too if you think about, like, why are these behaviors happening? Is it something about their social environment or something about their internal environment. That's a really helpful way too to just distinguish those variables.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, And then one of the conversations that we were having as we were kind of going forward was also this issue because we as we're talking about kind of doing an experiment and how quote unquote time consuming it could be or anything like that, which we did talk about in debunking some of those things. One of the questions that kind of always came up was why couldn't we do this through interviews or why couldn't we do this through observations? And really the truth was it just wasn't as robust. You could get some of those answers, you could get some of those variables, but it just wasn't as salient as robust as you would get through that kind of that initial arrangement and kind of messing with those variables. So while those could be useful tools as part of the assessment process, they weren't sufficient in in identifying and solidifying causation as part of this kind of overall discussion around the causes of behavior.
Speaker 1: And I'm just thinking back to on the basic experimental arrangement of the functional analysis in reflecting on the episodes we've recorded so far, I was wondering if we've communicated clearly enough that essentially in the testing arrangement that they've developed to try and isolate these variables, the way that they do that is we are going to strategically and repeatedly try and apply the hypothesized reinforcement to see if we can make that challenging behavior increase. And the reason that they do that is to see, like, does this happen more when this situation is present? Because if that if it does, then that that means that situation is likely. The reason it's happening in the first place was essentially the hypothesis. And that's the thing that I think a lot of people struggle with when they first encounter these is like, Wow, you're deliberately making more happen in these situations with the challenging behavior that could be really dangerous. And that got us speak into various types of refinements and procedures that people have developed around functional analyses that are things like, we'll reinforce precursor behaviors, so rather than allow it to escalate significantly, it's what are the things that they do that are leading up to that high magnitude challenging behavior and will reinforce those those initial steps first so it doesn't get all the way there, and then if that works, then that tells us that that's still the function, still the variable that's relevant for that behavior, Why it's happening, that's the cause. But we don't have to let it get to the point where it's too dangerous.
Speaker 2: Right exactly, which I think is critically important and actually I think that is going to be a good we kind of get into today's stuff. Another reason why we've got this kind of new synthesized variation of a functional analysis and kind of the updated stuff there, because ultimately came down to like do you need to evoke behavior to capture the function of the behavior. There's a lot of comments and a lot of thoughts and a lot of things that we can unpack with that, but that is I think also just one of the central concerns of doing functional analysis, which the Handley article from twenty twelve also helps to kind of debunk that and spend a little bit of time kind of like unpacking variations in like different ways that we can go about conducting fas in meaningful ways.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, for those of you who have been listening there, we've done a fairly decent handful of referencing studies and articles that have been published on this topic. Those are our primary sources that we have used for this discussion so far. All of those links have been in the notes so far. I did add some more over subsequent episodes, so like the first couple of episodes published wouldn't have all of the references, but the most recent couple should have all of the references, just because as we we've recorded this over a few weeks and just updated some more things as we went through, and so just in case you were looking for those and didn't see them, they should be there now. Yeah, wow, that recap took us all the way to our first ad break.
Speaker 2: We are we are so skilled at this.
Speaker 1: So good. So we all right, well we do have actual new content to get into for you, but you know, we've we teased it up so well with our previously on segments that we have talked ourselves into an ad break, so we'll see you on the other side. Yeah, okay, we're back. We have described in great detail all the things we've discussed so far about functional analyzes, and so we can get into the bulk of today's discussion. Are you ready for the segue? Yeah, let's do it all right, great, So we're gonna start by actually talking about something we have brought up in previous discussions here, but we're going to focus on this for a moment, and that's what we do. Once we have finished the analysis from the functional analysis, we have done, the experiment, we've isolated. Okay, these are the variables that tell us what is going on for this individual when they engage in these challenging behaviors. What are they trying to get out of this situation?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: And we described a few times up to this point that the purpose is to determine that what is called function, like what they're trying to get out of it. We call the function the function of the behavior is they're trying to get this right, and that from that function, the most common next step that you'll see in a lot of the literature that uses Functionalyzies is to teach the individual to communicate their needs with some kind of communication method rather than turn to those more challenging forms of behavior. And sometimes that communication is they might do a picture exchange, which we have never done a full episode on, but essentially it's like it says, these are for individuals who do not use very much vocal verable behavior, and they might exchange like they might have and iPad that has a picture they can point to. They might have physical pictures they can hand to somebody that's a thing that they need. It could be a break or a snack, or what attention or play someone, whatever it is they need. They learn that they can do that instead of the challenging behavior. Depending on why they were doing that challenging behavior, we create that communication strategy. They might also do sign language. They might also say vocally what it is that they need. There's a variety of things that they could do. So let's using our We'd previously described an example of an individual in a classroom, and what was happening in this situation was that the teacher would be engaging with other students and the student would start hitting their head on the desk, and then the teacher would come over and attend to that student, and then the student would stop hitting their head on the desk, but as soon as the teacher left, they'd hit their head on the desk again. And essentially from this hypothesized fake situation we concocted the reinforcement was attention from the teacher. Basically, the student just wanted to have one on one time with the teacher, and that the situation. So the function of the behavior was to get the teachature's attention. So what we might do instead with that result is then teach the student to raise their hand instead of banging their head on the desk. They could raise their hand, and when they do that, then that results in the teacher's attention. The individual can get what they need, which is the teacher's attention, without hurting themselves, Right, that's sort of the purpose in the arrangement. That's the next steps after we've done that analysis piece.
Speaker 2: Yeah, without hurting themselves in a much easier way, less effortful way. Yeah, there's lots of things there now. Shrewd listeners and those who are already familiar with these arrangements, you may already see or know that there can be an unworkable outcome to this communication training called functional communication training or FCT. You know, again, of course more initials to memorize. That is, when the individual requests the thing that they need, what happens when they are constantly requesting the reinforcer? We have to kind of like think about that. If they're constantly requesting the reinforcer, do we continuously deliver that reinforcer? What happens when the reinforcer is not available or not forthcoming? Can the reinforcer itself be provided endlessly and individual is never asked to tolerate times or situations in which that is not available at all for fear that they might return to their challenging behavior. That's always a kind of a constant conversation that we have, is like, if they're going to ask for it, what happens when we have to say no? Right, because it can't be around forever? And that is that is always kind of like I feel like, if it's not in the forefront of the discussion about FCT, it's always kind of a looming discussion as part of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, using our example of the kid in the classroom, like Okay, So the kid raises their hand, the teacher gives them attention, and then the teacher needs to go work with other student. The kids raise their hands again. They have to stop what they're doing and come back and pay attention to the student. And then they turn away to go help other students and the kids raise their hand again, they have to go back and pay attention to the student. Like is that sustainable? Like can we expect? Like the problem is like this kid's just gonna always be raising their hand to get their teacher's attention because that's the thing that they want. And if they don't get that, what do we think is going to happen?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Right, They're going to eventually go back to the strategy that worked before, which is hitting their head on the desk, which is a whole other conversations called resurgence. It's worth digging into at some point, but you can imagine those situations people who are listening to thinking like, yeah, but I mean, you just can't do this endlessly. You just can't honor every request forever. And you're right. So there were several attempts early on to explore how we might teach these new communication methods and account for how to manage situations when that request doesn't work. But how do we do that? Do we just provide the reinforcement only some of the time that they ask, so it's like they might request and that we don't do it some of the time, but we do do it some of the time. Do we just stop providing it for periods of time and just say, like wollw it's just not available. Do we provide it in smaller quantities maybe they just get used to having a little bit less of it, or we do huge quantities so that they're satisfied and don't want anymore. Like variations of this were tried in several experiments that we'll go and outline a couple of the takeaways from those.
Speaker 2: Right, So in nineteen ninety eight, and this was further developed in two thousand and one, some studies started using something from basic research literature with rats and pigeons from the nineteen fifties called a multiple schedule. And I'm sure that people who are listening to this are like super stoked to get into schedules of reinforcement again, and those like simple and complex schedules of reinforcement. I'm sure, you're thrilled. Yeah, to start like diving into that. For me, it would bring up some like ooh, some emotions because I remember studying conjunctive schedules and multiple mixed schedules and I was like, I hate this. It's a lot, but it's actually like super powerful. Yeah, I knew you would like it, but like it's cool. It's cool once you like really understand how it works. Right, So multiple schedule this arrangement. This is an arrangement in which, once the individual has learned a communication strategy, the clinicians then teach the individual to recognize a signal that tells them that while the signal is present, their request will be honored. Every single time. When the signal is not present, their request will not be honored. So, like, you're going to describe a simple version of this, so I won't get into that. You'll probably explain this much better than I will. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So just to make sure that you, like, we'll paint a pictures so you hear AU say that there's a request or there's a signal that says your requests are going to be honored, and then a different signal that says as they will not and that's the basic arrangement here. And just to be clear for those of you who are maybe already in the know about how multiple schedules work technically, that is, a multiple schedule can be a lot of things. It does not have to be this. This is just the way it most commonly appears in this particular setting. But you could actually have like a bunch of different situations, a bunch of different signals that are all correlated with different schedules of reinforcement, and that would be a multiple schedule. It doesn't just have to be on off. There's only two conditions. There could be a lot of different conditions and they could all have different signals, and they could all They don't have to be honored every single time too. It could be honored every other time, or every variable third time, or something like that. But the most common way that this is arranged in this clinical setting is basically on off during one condition, it's always available during another. It's not so in a simple version of this, there is some very clear cue, such as let's say a large green sign for when requests will be honored, and then there's maybe a large red sign for when the request will not be honored, and although some variations demonstrated, you can simply alter the availability queue. So let's say you have the green card and the example, and then it's absence of that then signals that it is not available. Right, so you don't necessarily need both signals. You could just have one means that is available and the other one means it's not, or vice versa. You could just have the one that says us not available, and when that one's gone, it just always is. That could also be a way to do it, and the queue can also be something fairly subtle and portable, such as a wristband. There's been some studies that specifically used like a different colored wristband, and some studies have even explored teaching the individual to recognize more common environmental or behavioral social cue. So, for example, if the teachers out their computer, they might not respond when I raise my hand, but when they leave their computer, then when they raise their hand, they will respond and come over and give that attention. So the basic description of this is like, all right, let's go at the really simple one. In this classroom, the teacher puts a green poster board up, and now the students when if the students aware the green poster are born. We've taught them how it works. When they raise their hand, the teacher is going to come to them, but the teacher does need to deal with other students too, so then they put up the red poster board and now whenever the student raises their hand, they do nothing, but that green poster board is coming back. It'll probably only be a few minutes too, Like the teacher is going to go around help other students, and then they're available again. They put the green poster board back up, and the student raise their hand, the teacher comes over and we'll talk to them. And then they essentially learn that like, well, that red sign is temporary, it will be back, because there's a very clear queue, like the thing is there, then it's not, then it's there, then it's not like it will be back, and they just learn to wait until it's available again, and then they know as soon as it's back that they can get the thing that they need again. But that way it's a much more manageable situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that makes sense. I've been seeing this more at conferences too, where there are clear signals for like how people like to be greeted like are you a hugger? Are you handshake? Are you no contact? And like I've seen those signals too, where it's like just really clear, like hey, I can engage this behavior here in this context because it will you know this is not available here. This signal four, This is not available here, So I will not do this here. And so I've been seeing that more conferences lately, too, kind to help kind of like discriminate, like who you get how to engage with people.
Speaker 1: I love that I would like, I would like the hug one, please.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I I too would be the hug one. But I also know that people are like, no thanks, and that's perfectly fine too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, many people don't want that kind of attention. And yeah, and that's why I tend to just keep my distance, because you know, you don't want to get in so in space. But if there was someone who I like was wearing a clear signal that they were like also the hug type, then I'd be like, get over here, we're hugging this out and bring it in, baby, that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So now colloquially, colloquially, I always have a hard time saying that word because I just blend all my sounds together colloquially.
Speaker 1: The three vowels right next to each other that all make a distinct sound.
Speaker 2: Make that a hard word, it's just a's just a tough word. Now, you could think of it as teaching the individual that they just need to wait a little bit and eventually what they want will be available again. And there have been many, many studies over the last three decades showing that multiple schedules are successful at reducing the frequency of requests only at certain times, but maintaining that strategy for the individual without them returning to the challenging behavior. So it's really effective in improving behavior and shaping behavior in these ways.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the issue can be that we're concerned that if we take away the availability of the reinforcement that they will stop requesting and go back to that challenging behavior, right, But what we've seen with the multiple schedule arrangements is they maintain a high rate of the request, meaning that response, that new behavior we've taught them is working, but they only do it when the reinforcement is available, and then we don't see a return to those challenging behaviors, and so we get basically it's the trifecta. It's that the perfect All three things that we needed to have happen are happening right right. So that's why it's been kind of cool. And I don't have any better cues to help signal for skip these future ends. Okay, we're back. We've been talking about the way that you might teach an individual to communicate what they need and then teach them to recognize cues that signaled the availability or lack of availability, such that they learned that the lack of availability is temporary and that they will eventually get what they need again, and therefore they have a strategy to get what they need but also tolerate periods of time when it's not available. Yeah, all right, so let's dig into the new stuff here. Yeah, So, in twenty fourteen, the world of functional analysis and FAS experienced as largest ever paradigm shift, and I would say rift in the sort of behavior analysis community, And maybe some people would would disagree with that characterization, and that's totally fine. There have been other things that have happened that people didn't necessarily always agree with in this in these ways, but this one was kind of a big shit. So a study by Handley and friends explored a new way to approach and conduct functional analyzes now like standard functional analysis analyzes before, they did the same thing where they conducted an interview to determine the relevant features about the target behaviors and context, and then they would observe the individuals in sort of a natural environment for like fifteen to thirty minutes. Yes, so that was fairly common to how functional analysies had been done. They did create their own version of an interview. They did make it so that it was very open ended. They had a lot of opportunity for the caregivers, the relevant stakeholders to provide and elaborate their own thoughts and details on this so that they could try and use that to tailor as closely as possible their environments that they create to that individual's actual circumstance. And then that whole observation thing is actually not necessarily standard in functional analyses practice, where you just watched the individual for a little bit. That does happened sometimes, but they made it just part of the process.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the way I understood this process is like it's a little bit more in line with kind of like the full FBA process that includes an FA. So like you do your interview, you do your observation, so you've got your indirect and your direct assessments, and then you do your test, which is either gonna your functional analysis or the synthesized FA that we're going to talk about. So like to me, like that whole process follows in line with kind of like FBA processes. At least it is a general as a general rule, yeah, for the most part, or at least as some of those hallmarks. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So after they do the interview and after they do the observation, they create a pair wise assessment or they created a pair wise assessment in which the tested condition consisted of every probable situation that might provoke the target behavior, as well as every probable reinforcer that might follow and reinforce the target behavior, calling this a synthesized FA. And basically what they were kind of doing here was like that, like in these conditions, you could turn the behavior on and off. Yep. It's essentially what they were doing with all those yep. You hear folks use those terms a lot, like you should be able to turn the behavior on and off really quickly. Now, they alternated this with the control condition to detect whether or not there were elevated rates of the target behavior during the synthesized target condition. And when we say the target behavior too, like the behaviors we're interested in are not necessarily the problem behavior itself. It might be related behaviors or like a functional response class, so it could be lots of like low grade, low rate, low intensity behaviors that are assumed to be related to the major problem behavior that they're assessing.
Speaker 1: Now. In the original version of the functional analysis, essentially what they were testing is is this a positive reinforcement thing or negative reinforcement thing. In this synthesized version, they're not really trying to determine if it's positive or negative. They're just trying to show that the target behavior could be reliably provoked and reinforced in that synthesized condition, the one that has all the possible triggers and reinforcers in it, all in one condition, rather than isolating them all across different conditions. It's just one alternated against that control, and following that they could then teach the individual to request that outcome specifically, as we have seen with those other functional communication training applications, and then after they've reliably done that, they directly build and practice opportunities for what they call delay and denial tolerance training to teach the individual that sometimes they'll request the thing that they want and it won't be available and they just are going to be okay with that, and they just build up that tolerance as well, where sometimes they have to be told no, sometimes they'll have to be told to wait, and sometimes they'll get the thing that they want, yeah, and that they'll just be okay with the fact that those are the arrangements that they have, and they just do a nice slow sort of shaping exercise practice to get them prepared to handle those situations. And so that's again a pretty different sort of approach to a lot of the other sort of techniques that have been developed up to this point.
Speaker 2: Right now, the shakeup is almost inevitably going to stir the pod as, they say. One was a challenge to the claim that the since sized fas could save time. Proponents of since sized fas claim that these yielded outcomes and fewer sessions than the standard FA would be able to do. However, independent analysis found that this was not always the case. And that a standard FA might be just as or even more efficient at determining functions of behavior. Now that being said, there are a large number of published examples of the efficiency of the synthesized FA, and I've gotten to run a couple and it's pretty wild, Like you can do it like ten minutes.
Speaker 1: They're fast, and the bulk of the peer reviewed literature does seem to show that they are very fast and that they're very efficient, and there have been some other independent researchers showing that sometimes they are not the most efficient way to go. Sure, So like just throwing that, I was like, we try to just be as like clear and what am I open I guess as possible about like the reality situation, which is like there are people who argue that this is not that fast, and there are some studies to show that it's not necessarily the most efficient, but most of the people who've done this, most of the studies that are out there that do look at this, do show they're very fast and they're very efficient, and they just they do just take less time. You can pretty reliably from that synthesized FA show that, as you said, you can turn the behavior on and off and be like, well, this definitely works moving on, and then you don't spend very much time on it, right, that is a thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you kind of let your treatment be your like your follow up and go like okay, so we were able to kind of turn behavior on it off really quickly, like we were able to demonstrate a functional relation here in this context with these synthesized fas not to go ahead and do interventions and then let's see what the rates of behavior look like from there, Like you can kind of like like that follow up is almost like your replication piece a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, so we're kind of we're in this whole synthesized functional analysis discussion part here, and there's again there was sort of some many people who did not like this direction that this was going, and so they were sort of trying to articulate what about it they had concerns with. One of them was time, or at least the claim that it was faster, which again most peer VOOD studies show that it is, but there were some that show that it wasn't always just a thing to know. Another argument that was made again against the idea of the synthesized FA was that because all possible reinforcers were delivered at once, there might be a couple of unintended consequences. The strategy might a be including reinforcers that were not actually relevant to the target behavior, so they were like, there's just extra stuff in there that's unnecessary and therefore make it maybe less efficient, and b actually be creating functions for the challenging behavior that did not previously exist, because all of a sudden they were superimposing new reinforcers as consequences for that target behavior that weren't there before, but do function as reinforcers, and so now they're reinforcing that target behavior when they weren't before. And there were a handful of independent studies between twenty sixteen and twenty nineteen that showed exactly that that if you did a synthesized FA the way they did this is basically did like a standard functional analysis and a synthetized sized function analysis and then another standard functional analysis, and showed that reinforcers that were not previously applied to that challenging behavior, when they started being applied to that challenging behavior, they started showing up as reinforcers for that challenging behavior later when they weren't before, Meaning we're creating new functions for the challenging behavior and new reinforcers rather than trying to make the behavior decrease. It's now open to a wider variety of reinforcers, and that that could have some challenging outcomes for people who are working in a clinical space trying to support these individuals with better communication techniques. That was essentially the argument.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Now, for the first outcome, they compared to a STANDARDFA, some of the reinforcers used in the synthesized analysis analysis were not necessarily to determine a clear data pattern. So like basically there was they added more than they needed to write.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you didn't need all that.
Speaker 2: Now. In the second case, some individuals challenging behavior started occurring with new reinforcers during the synthesized FA that were not maintaining the behavior before the synthesized FA.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but nevertheless, the synthesized function analysis has been widely studied across various independent researchers and even across I've now seen this actually published from people in many different countries and has demonstrated extremely high reliability and validity, with many clinicians reporting how much easier it is to implement, how effective of a tool it has been for establishing behavior functions. In some cases, these are people who would have never tried to do an FA, but they did feel like they could do a synthesized FA, and so where they would have otherwise maybe wasted time making things up to try and solve a hypothetical behavior function, they now can actually do an experimental arrangement to determine a behavior function and do it faster. So there's sort of speaking to the idea here that this has been pretty effective. And although there have been these studies showing that it can create new behavior functions, there have also been studies showing that it doesn't necessarily create new behavior functions, and there is like the extent to which it does create new behavior functions we don't know yet. And to be fair, I have not kept up in the last few years with this back and forth that was happening, and so it's possible that I missed a couple of articles that did show like the actual rates of introducing new functions versus not. But suffice it to say that like just because you do a synthesized functional analysis does not mean you will have new behavior functions, right right, It could be the case, and maybe we need to determine what are the conditions under which that's likely to be the case. But for the most part, they've just been refining and making their techniques better and better and more efficient and more effective over time. So most of the research that will be done in this will show ways to avoid even that potential pitfall, if that is one that is worth worrying about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they've come up with variations too, so like just like our like the standard FA, like the analog FFA that we know in all the variations like latency based THATFAS and all that, like this process, the synthesized functional analysis component, the ISKA, if you will, like all of that. Now there are variations of it that are latency based. There are trial base there's a few new ones too that have shown up which are really cool.
Speaker 1: That is really cool. Yeah. Actually I was aware that they had it made sense, like I kind of thought that's where they were going with it, But as I said, I hadn't watched in the last couple of years. As far as I know, none of them have ads. All Right, we are back. We have been unpacking. Essentially one of the last big changes in the world of functional analyzes was this the synthesized functional analysis, just a different way of approaching how to do this. So I want to get also to some some like concerns people have had, questions people have had in our own hot takes about this as well. And the first thing I want to start with is people who are way outside of like behavior analysis, who have been hearing this and maybe felt like I just I just don't understand what's happening here. You keep saying you're reinforcing problematic behaviors. Why, like this feels like this is not something you should be doing right, sure, and so I want to do a try and feel like I can do my best to address this. And one of the common ways that people have talked about this, and Handley did in that twenty twelve article as well, is it's like an allergy test, and an allergy test you're trying to create a small allergic reaction to something to see what are the things that are causing your allergic reactions? Right, So they can't just interview you and see like do you like what do you think is making you allergic, and then you tell them and they're like, great, we'll just treat that. Like that might not work because you could you might not know what's the thing that's making you allergic, and even if you think you know, you might be wrong. So the whole idea here is like we just need to create the reaction so we can figure out what's creating the reaction and we can use that to try and address it in a different, less harmful way. Right, we'll get into this in a moment. But during the functional analysis again, like the safety is still like the number one priority. So it should never be the case, and not saying that it never was or that it never is, but it should never be the case that you allow a behavior to have occurred at such high magnitude that anyone's in actual danger, Like you should have enough safeguards in place that when that challenging behavior happens, it is mild enough or there is enough safety equipment in place that it cannot actually cause actual harm to anybody. That is how the ideal would be arranged. Now, again, probably people have not been as diligent about ensuring safety as they should have been, and there maybe are still people who aren't as diligent about that as they need to be, but it should be the case that the are relatively low stakes as minimized opportunities for risk as possible in these situations. And rationale that most people have argued here is that, like, we have to be able to reliably show what are the variables that are contributing to this, which means we have to make it happen at least a little bit, right, do you have some more to add to that? Sort of like, in response to this concern about reinforcing challenging behaviors.
Speaker 2: The thing that I kind of will always go back to is like behavior is so variable and flexible that like the effect that you're going to get even at the minimum effect, the minimal effect that you would get from a test like this, is easily reversible. Like I think that's the other side too, is like, and when I say easily reversible, all I mean is that if we can change behavior so quickly within an hour, then we can change it back within even last time. I would imagine, so like you know, like we are creating kind of like unique learning histories. But I do think it's I think it's really important to remember that, like that behavior change that we see can be to pray depending on how we intervene following those answers. That's something I kind of always think about when I think about those arguments, is kind of go like, well, behavior is not static, like responses are not static, and responses to environmental contigencies are not static either, So like that's something that can change rapidly.
Speaker 1: This is a very good point. Yes, that's definitely a very good point. And the other thing I think that I would others have said, whether or not I need to weigh on this in my own personal opinions, I don't know, but I think people might ask like, well, but why do this at all? Like why not just use the observations, why not just use the interviews? Why not even just use like you know that you have some kind of effective reinforce, or just shape up different behaviors? And I mean, thore are some valid positions to take, Like I can see you saying like, let's just not create the opportunity for harm to happen at all and minimize risk and instead just do what we can with what we have where there is zero risk, like there's none whatsoever, because we have we're using the interviews, we're using the questionnaires, we're using observation to do those things, and or we're just using reinforcement like a blunt object to just reinforce different paviors. And I understand that position, and I do think the response that most people have had to this is like going back to the example we used in a previous discussion from Hanley, like, imagine you in a hospital and you need water and you can't communicate, and they keep they do all the nice things for you. They bring you food, you want, nice pillows and nice blankets, and you're just not getting what you need, which is water. And that's sort of the situation here is like we're not addressing whatever need was there. We don't. We're not if we're if we're just using reinforcement to just shape a different behavior, we're not necessarily addressing the motivation for that behavior in the first place. Like what is the context that is creating this where we could be addressing that context instead and having this individual have like a satisfying needs are met type experience as opposed to just now they're just doing something different, even though they still might have that need and that context where the needs are not being met. So that's one way that people responded to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely. So like going back to kind of talking about the functional analysis part of this too, Like these tests that we're running, they don't actually reflect the natural environment, Like it's not that systematic, it's not that consistent either. So when we conduct the functional analysis, we are creating a completely fabricated context, in a fabricating environment. It's very sterile, it's very isolated. Yeah, and then providing reinforcement at a frequency that is extremely unlikely to occur in any sort of real world situation. So like in an FA, they will get a punitive reinforcer for every single incident of the target behavior or the behavior of question or the behavior that we're focused on. It's extremely unlikely that the reinforcer for that behavior is available that often in their day to day experiences at that density, at that rate, Like that that's just not it's not what really happens in the real world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just acknowledging that, Like we create this environment to test it, it is an artificial environment, I mean, at least with respect to the context in which that behavior would have otherwise occurred. And going like, using this example of the kid who bangs their head on the desk, is it the case that they hit their head once and then the teacher immediately comes over. Probably not. Probably what happens is they've learned, they do it a few times, and then that gets the teacher's attention. And then, many many, many situations, parents will accidentally shape up these challenging behaviors where the first time a kid does it, they deal with it in a way that accidentally reinforces that behavior right away. And let's just use attention as as an example one. So, like, we have a child who acts out in some way that's somewhat minor, and the parent comes over and maybe lectures them, like, hey, like, it's not okay to do this, And what the kid learns is not I get lectured. What they learn is I get attention. What form that attention takes doesn't really matter. I got attention. Right, So then they do that thing again, they act out again, and then the parents likeugh, I'm not dealing with this, I'm gonna ignore it, and so that the kid escalates it a little bit and now the parent's like, okay, now I got to deal with this right, and then they come over and they are now they're giving their attention to this thing that has now increased in magnitude. The kid learns, okay, that one little act out I had to do to get this in the first place didn't work. I need to escalate this to get it to work. So then the next time they act out and it's a little bit escalated, and the parents like, ugh, I don't want to deal with this. I'm not gonna do it. So the kid's like, all right, we're going even harder. And you can see that over a few times, this goes from something relatively minor to something extreme because every time the caregivers are the people who are the ones delivering this consequence, they're like trying to hold out a little bit longer, and the kid or the individuals figuring out, I just need to push a little bit harder, And so it shapes up from something minor to something extreme. And it doesn't take a super long time to get that. It's just every opportunity they escalate a little bit, or they do it a few extra times more, they yell and scream, and then they get what they want, and next time they yell and scream the parents like, I'm just gonna wait them out, and then they yell and scream and break something, and then they get what they want, and then the parent the next time, they yell and scream the parents like, I'm not gonna I'm not gonna give in. They yell and scream and break something, and that doesn't and then they yell and scream and break something and start throwing that at other people, and now they step in to deal with it. Right, So, whatever it is, they just keep escalating and escalating, and every time, like eventually it pays off. So that's sort of a very different environment from a functional analysis, where it is like you do it once the first time, the lowest magnitude version of this, the lowest intensity version of this, and you get that outcome every single time.
Speaker 2: Just different, right, right exactly.
Speaker 1: So let's say, for example, that there's a home and an individual bites their hands so hard it bleeds when they ask for food, and then they don't get it. Right, that's normally they bite their hand and that people know, oh, they're trying to get food. We just need to give them food. Assuming this is a condition that would even be tested for in a clinical setting, which is a big if this is not a very common thing that you would test in a FA. But let's say that's the situation in their hand, the situation we're in. This individual learns that they don't have vocal communication. They but they have learned they bite their hand, it bleeds when they ask for food, and they they don't get it all. Right, in a functional analysis, assuming they're even testing for this, In that test case, they're in this austere, sterile environment. None of the people who are usually around them when they do this thing are there. The setting is different. All the other contextual features, the furniture, the lighting, the air, the temperature, the things on the table, the things in the room, those are all absent, right, And those are things that are potentially participating in the context that facilitates that behavior occurring in the first place. Right, So just to sort of say, like, we're trying to assess this behavior that occurs in one place, and we're putting them in an environment that has none of those features whatsoever at all.
Speaker 2: Right, So, I mean it's kind of like when you watch a show and it's ad free, Like that's kind of like what the stair, you know, the sterile environment looks like, but we know most of the time we're watching a show or something like that, there's some advertisement placements, there's there's an ad break even sometimes like right now. Okay, so we're back and we're talking about this idea that the functional analysis conditions that we run are not necessarily reflective of like what's happening in real life. Like we're getting close to like isolating variables, but it's not the rate of intensity of the reinforcement. It's not all of those things that people often think it is. So when we are testing, we're not really testing whether a given outcome is the thing that is reinforcing and maintaining the behavior for that individual when their target behavior occurs. What we are testing is can a given outcome reinforce and maintain that target behavior. It is a subtle but important difference because testing what works to reinforce behavior is basically a preference assessment, although technically in this space it is a reinforcer assessment. We're actually looking at the effect of stimulus delivery on rates of responding yes.
Speaker 1: So again this is kind of the hot take. This is like the thing about which people who feel very strongly about function analyses who have done a lot of these might disagree with us, but maybe they'll agree with this write in and let us know. But the point here is that we're creating a very artificial, novel environment to do this assessment, and then we're testing if I apply this this consequence will reinforce behavior. Now, it's reasonable to assume that if it does reinforce the behavior, then it has worked in the past to reinforce that behavior and therefore might be the thing that does reinforce the behavior. But it's also reasonable to assume that we just found a thing that can reinforce the behavior, and it might not necessarily be the thing that was reinforcing in the past. Like things can have more than one reinforcing outcome, and as we saw in the synthesized FA with some of the research has shown that you can just create new functions and apply reinforcers to a behavior and have those reinforcers work to reinforce that behavior, whether or not they were the thing that was reinforcing it when it happened that had that person come into the clinic for an assessment in the first place. So let's just go to this example of someone who bites their hands. They're like, at home, what happens is they bite their hand and then they maybe get food delivered to them that they were they were hungry and they didn't know how to ask for food. They bite their hand. They're like, oh, we need to bring them foods. They stop biting their hand, and that's their thinking about it. And in the clinic we see that, like when they bite their hand, we come and we bring them attention and they're like, oh, I kind of like this attention thing. And then they're like, well, I just bit my hand. I got my attention, so I'm going to do that again. And they bite their hand and they get attention. They're like, oh, look, we've clearly shown that attention is why they bite their hand. That could be a thing that happens, because like we didn't test the what happens that we bring them food when they bite their hand, because why would we test that In a lot of situations, we just want to see, like if I give them some attention, then like that is currently working. That might that must be what they're the reason that they're biting their hand in their natural environment. But it actually wasn't like there was maybe another thing. Now I just made that whole situation up of the person biting their hand and getting attention and whatnot. But like the point being that, like it could be the case that we're creating those because we're just identifying can a thing reinforce a behavior? Right, not explicitly is this the thing that has reinforced the behavior? But I also want to go back to the point that in the natural environment, they're mostly not contacting reinforcement every single time the behavior occurs, right, And there are very different types of motivating operations, And they also might be getting different things out of that behavior in different circumstances. So sometimes they do this behavior and there's something they're trying to get. But they've also learned this is a strategy for the When I do this thing, I get what I need because in the context, the people who around me just figure out what that need is. So I bite my hand when I'm hungry, I bite my hand when I'm tired, I bite my hand when I want to leave. I bite my hand when I'm frustrated. I bite my hand when I want to get out of work. They like, what they've learned is this is a thing that gets me what I need, right, And like sometimes it takes me a few tries, but they'll get there eventually, they'll get me what I need, you know, most of the time. That's that's how it works. So it's just I've learned this is my strategy. So when we go to try and test that in a clinical setting, it's like something might work. Is it the thing that has worked in the past, maybe, Is it the thing that definitely reinforces this behavior all of the time. Maybe not?
Speaker 2: Maybe not right exactly. So I think it's important to kind of like think about this as we're talking about this. It's not the belittle the importance of this work. Finding a way to get more reinforcement into an individual's life while simultaneously reducing how much they harden themselves or others is like the worthy outcome, even if we choose a somewhat arbitrary reinforcer that is nevertheless highly preferred and valued by the individual. So this is still important work and we'll do great work for that person. Now. Similarly, while this is designed to be an assessment not intervention, I think that's really important to remember that this is an assessment not an intervention tool. It is worth pointing out that we cannot measure and observe behavior in a vacuum devoid of context and learning. We are always learning, including during an FA and so our learners are not going to be isolated or cushioned from reinforcement or learning history. As a result of this. The individual in the room is figuring out what we are doing and changing their behavior based on the circumstances that we've created. So we create a circumstance to figure out their behavior. They're engaging in behavior in that circumstance, and they're learning new ways to engage in behavior inside of that circumstance. So their behavior is being shaped as part of the process of being assessed, which is why it's so important to also keep this kind of as short as possible, because the longer you do it, the longer learning history shows up, and the more things show up. So it's a really complex thing that we can't just be like, oh, yeah, this is for sure the result of this test, because there are so many other variables and like kind of like features of the assessment that can influence behavior beyond what we originally think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're learning, they're in an environment where they're figuring us out while we're trying to figure them out right like that, it is a two way street, So anything we do shapes their behavior in a new direction. We're not just assessing like this is what definitely is. And I have personally observed this many times when conducting functional analysies, and I always kind of wanted to actually do an explicit study about this somehow. But what I have observed is that once the individual starts to figure out that reinforcement, whatever it is they're getting as the putative reinforcer, once they figure out that is forthcoming following a specific behavior topography, like a specific way that they do this thing in specific conditions, they essentially, like you might predict that like they you see a huge increase in the behavior. But what I've actually seen over and over again is they are exerting as little effort as possible to earn that reinforcer, whatever it is. I was in an FA one time with a student who would attack others when they didn't get their way. So essentially it was like what we sort of figured out for this individual was their requests being honored in a specific way was kind of the function here, And so it was when they didn't get their way, they would attack other staff, and once they figure it out, they could get their way by attacking staff. Their attacks that were things like grabbing, scratching, spitting, kicking, throwing objects that they were using. They would do that but using barely any strength at all. Eventually it went from them like full blown attack to like they would come over and they would just like slap you on the wrist or the knee or the shoulder or something whatever is close by. They just kind of reach over and just do like a tap, and that full blown attack in which someone could have and in some cases even were actually injured, turned into something with a slightly less gusto than a half hearted high five, just enough to earn that reinforcer, but taking as little effort as possible to exert. So the magnitude decreased significantly because they learned that they just didn't need to work that hard to get the thing that they wanted. It wasn't that they were malicious. They weren't attacking people because they wanted to see harm come to people. They just didn't know how to get what they wanted in that situation right. And what they learned was like I attack someone, I get what I want. I attack someone, I get what I want. I start to attack someone, I get what I want. So though, like they're not even escalated at this point, they're like, we create the evocative situation. They reach over and they're like sort of light tap on the shoulder and they don't get it, and they're like, all right, a little bit harder than that. And then they get it and they're like, okay, that counts now as aggression. Now, the rates of aggression that we're measuring, we basically just measured yes it did happen or no it didn't. So like when we're counting as we're observing this to take data and like actually develop data trends, is did the behavior happen or did it not happen? And so the rates look about the same, but the magnitude is decreased from like dangerous to barely counts as an instance of the behavior occurring right right right, And I've observed those multiple times with multiple different individuals across variety of circumstances and behaviors. And so in a sense, the assessment itself became a kind of intervention, and there is an actual strategy that some people in clinical settings have used where you do explicitly put a challenging behavior on it what's called an f R one schedule, meaning you reinforce every single instance of that behavior. Because we also know from schedules of reinforcement that a behavior that was reinforced every time goes away more quickly when reinforcement goes away, So you can figure out that, like in the instance we're describing before of that kid who like they escalate and escalate and escalate, they'll often like figure out they have to do it a whole bunch of times to get the thing that they want to do it four or five six times. If you stop providing reinforcement, then like they're four or five six times, they're not going to do it another four five six times, and then another four five six times, and another until they're doing it like fifty times, right, and it's still not coming. Then it starts to taper off. But if you if you are reinforcing every single instance of that challenging behavior, then they do it and it doesn't happen. They're like, that's weird, I'm used to getting reinforcement. Try it again, They're like, hold on the reinforcements still not happen. They try a third time, They're like, okay, what are we doing here? And then like because the reinforcement tapers off like it was, it was so dense. Going from every single time to zero times means that it sometimes is faster to see that de escalate to nothing. And so that is an explicit strategy that some people have used. So in a functional analysis, if you're reinforcing every single instance that happens, you kind of accidentally intervened, right, because like it's just it's now on a different schedule than it's ever been on, and it's also not requiring the same amount of effort to get them there. So they just sort of learn the like, all right, it happens like I ask a little bit like that one little tap wasn't quite enough. I tap a little bit harder. That's still not doing. To tap a little bit harder, and they're like, go even to ask it a little bit further, Like, Wow, this just isn't working. I guess I give up. You know, I have seen that sort of thing happen. So while we treat this as an assessment tool, which is what is designed to be, and I think in most circumstances where learning valuable information that translates directly into clinical outcomes. Philosophically speaking, understanding that what we're kind of just doing is a reinforcer assessment, and that they're learning from us as much as we're learning from them. Yeah, in those situations, if not more, And it does in fact shape their behavior in a specific direction that is not necessarily isolating or understanding variables. It is creating a new learning history.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, you nailed it.
Speaker 1: Okay, those are sort of the hot takes here.
Speaker 2: I think whenever we are assessing human behavior, I think gets complex and I think that there are like ripple effects and outcomes that we don't necessarily always pay attention to when the goal of the assessment or the goal of whatever we're doing is is very clear, right, So, like, if the goal is to figure out the function of behavior, we might not think about those kind of like tertiary benefits or those outcomes that actually have a greater effect than we realize, Like you just mentioned, like increasing the density of a schedule of reinforcement ultimately reduces the rescis spont's effort or the intensity of the response that we're concerned about right, like all of those things. That's not a side effect that we often talk about inside of an assessment, but that is an effect that can happen. I think that's worth kind of like understanding. Is like when people talk about functional analyzes, they can't just be like, this is what a functional analysis is. Like, it's like, this is what it is on the surface, but ultimately there are all these little effects that you have to pay attention to and be mindful of and be aware of, and which is why competency is so important when you do these things.
Speaker 1: True, very true. Okay, there is a we've referenced this in the last episode and in this one. I think I forget which one's exactly in this whole series that we've been doing. But there's a twenty twelve article by Greg Hanley in Behavior Analysis and Practice and which he digs a lot into like myths and lore about functional analyzes. I know it's a few years you know, it's over a decade old at this point, but I think it makes a lot of arguments that people have continue to use and describe and talk about. So if you have other concerns or questions or inquiries, that is a good one. It's a good place to start at least, and then you can sort of see what else has cited that set that was published and sort of follow, you know, at least a couple of articles down and see where that discussion has evolved. But I do think it's a very commonly cited article still in terms of those types of discussions, and has more to say. But yeah, I think that more or less wraps up what we have to say about functional analyses. Finally, for episodes, Yeah, yeah, we did a month of fas not intentional, but it's where we ended up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's good though, I mean I think we gave it the space it deserved.
Speaker 1: Yeah, perfect, all right, good, So it was like the month of August was FA month or something. But yeah, that's what it is, all right. If you'd like to tell us your thoughts on functional analyzes or anything that we've mentioned in here, we would love to hear from you. You can email us directly at info at wwdwwdpodcast dot com, or you can reach us on the social media platforms, and I do look forward to hearing from you. If you're joining us for the first time, you may not know, but that at the end of our full length discussions, we do some recommendations. I think it's very fun stick around for that because it is, like I said, it's just fun. It's just an enjoyable thing. And plus we only have like one more set of ads to get through and then we get to those parts, so we'll see inside of these ads. Bye, Okay, we're back. We're getting into the credits and then our recommendations. As I said, you can email us, you can reach us on social media. We look forward to hearing from you. Otherwise, you can support us if you like what we're doing. Is you can leave us a rating and a review, like subscribe, you know, just give that like five stars if there's five stars, or ten stars, if there's ten stars, or fifty stars, if there's fifty stars, or three stars, if there's only three stars, however many stars there are maximount. We appreciate. It feels really good. Maybe it fills your soul with joy. It helps other people find us, because then the algorithm sees, hey, this podcast was highly rated, Maybe other people will like it and it suggests it to them as well. And that's all very helpful. So we appreciate you being willing to do that. You can also leave us a review if you like, and just say some nice things about us, and like I said, if you have some constructive criticism, write us directly. Otherwise you can support us if you'd like to do so. Financially is you can join us on Patreon. If you do that, you will get early episodes, add free episodes, some bonus content, and at the end of our full lengths discussions, I will shout out all of the people who have helped us be a podcast, So a giant shout out and thank you too, Mike m Mike T, Justin, Kim Brad, Stephanie, Brian Kiara and Charlie for continuing to just be the best and really help us be a podcast.
Speaker 2: Ah bellissimo.
Speaker 1: That was Shane blowing kisses, So thank you all.
Speaker 2: This So it was I love you guys. You guys are great And.
Speaker 1: If you are not one of those Patreon supporters, then you two can have kisses blown at you by Shane by joining us on Patreon, so you can do that there.
Speaker 2: See.
Speaker 1: I think those all the ways I could talked about for you supporting us. Could tell a friend subscribe for them on their device. That's also very nice of you. I'd also need to shout out my team and people, because it takes a village to make a podcast, a village of podcasters, and that's what I have here. So thank you so much to the people who make this happen, writing and fact checking from Shane and myself. Thank you for recording with me today.
Speaker 2: Shane, Hey, thank you for a month of a phase.
Speaker 1: Hey, you very welcome. Our social media coordinator is Emma Wilson. And our extraordinary, wonderful and credible, remarkable, delectable, delightful and incredible God Emperor producer person is Justin Who's the best?
Speaker 2: So handsome?
Speaker 1: Try to come up with a bunch of adjectives. There, it worked, it did, and I think that is what we have to say about that. Before we turn to our recommendations. Thank you all for listening. I guess you, audience, you also deserve a big shout out and thanks because you're here. I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, yeah, you're the best.
Speaker 1: All right, Ready, recommend some things or do you have anything I forgot so you like to add?
Speaker 2: No, I think that covers it.
Speaker 1: Recommendations.
Speaker 2: All right, So I'm gonna recommend a movie that I got to see. I did a double feature where I saw Spider Man Brandy Day in the morning, and then I went and saw this movie in the afternoon Lovely and it was great. And so I'm recommending The Odyssey by Christopher Nolan. Here's the thing. Christopher Nolan is just a like he's just got such an eye for film, and I think that, like it's every movie that he's ever shot is just shot so well, and it's so interesting and just so cool. And also I just love mythology and I love the story of the Odyssey in general, and I think put those two things together and then you get this really amazing thing. One of the things I really love about Christopher Nolan is that he really takes time to try to do practical effects for everything and so and you can see that really clearly in this movie. It is like there's so many practical effects for things that you don't think are practical effects. The giant, the Cyclops is a practical effect. It's just so cool and so great. And just I mean, Matt Damon is unreal in this movie. So I think, I mean, everybody is fantastic in it, but I think Matt Damon just does a killer job of being Odysseus and the gravity and the hubris that goes along with him, you know, and I think, ah, just so good. So I recommend everybody to go see this, like, and I recommend seeing it in a theater because, like, I think there's something really impactful about seeing it on a big screen. I also recommend bringing earplugs, maybe because like the loud parts are very loud. Fair, and maybe that was just the theater I was in, but the loud parts were maybe the loudest I've ever had in a movie where I was like, oh, this is maybe a lot, okay, but it was great. It was a great movie.
Speaker 1: I second that I loved this. I thought Matt Damon was outstanding, And yeah, I think he impressively really sank into that role and the way that made you feel like he just is this character. Yeah, Like I stopped seeing Matt Damon very quickly and just saw Odysseus.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and just as you said, it's exactly they're the hubris, but also the like the values, the drive, like it just was all there and communicated perfectly throughout. Like Matt Damon was just a true pro at the Yeah. So great casting on that I'm recommending. It's my try to recommend things. I'm recommending a This is a game. I guess you'd call it a board game. It doesn't have a board. It is a card game. So there's a game I have mentioned before. It's called Wingspan, also a card game, but also has boards. And Wingspan is not a very complicated game. But for people who are not used to games that are more interesting than like Clue and Monopoly, then they see this and their minds are blown all the way open, sure when they see Wingspan, because it does have more than one rule and it is good, and they're not used to good. They're just used to Monopoly, sure, and so they are confused. But nevertheless it's actually it's a very easy game and it's one of my favorites and it's fantastic. Well, they came out with a new version of this called Wingspan Pocket, which is very small. It does not fit in your pocket, but it is very small and it's just a bunch of cards and it is a very very streamlined version of Wingspan that is definitely different enough to be its own game. You can play in like thirty minutes. It goes up to five people. It works fine at two people. I have played it a handful of times now and I have very, very much enjoyed this. So for people who want who are looking for a game that is really fun and very easy to play, it doesn't take very long. Wingspan Pocket is so perfect for this. This is very accessible to people, even if they are not really familiar with like the world of board games. I think most people who can read and understand rules can sit down and learn this game with very little effort needed. The rules are very well written, the components are really nice, the box is pretty small, and like I said, you can do this in like thirty minutes so and up to five players.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right. So that's Wingspan Pockets, the card Game, and The Odyssey, the new movie from Christopher Nolan. I think that's what we have to say about functional analyses. I think we can close the book on this topic for now. For now, there's nothing left to learn. You've learned it all. Yeah, is there anything you'd like that or anything I forgot before was here? Goodbyes?
Speaker 2: No, I think we're good.
Speaker 1: All right, happy functional analyzing. Thank you all for listening to this. Is Abraham and it's Shane. We're out. So yep, you've been listening to Why We Do What We Do.
Speaker 2: You can learn more about this and other episodes by going to WWD WWD.
Speaker 1: Podcast dot com.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening, and we hope you have an awesome day.