Speaker 1: Good morning, good morning, good morning. Welcome, welcome, welcome. It is type now for our community connection right here on K one, the one you trust. Misty wish Hall is with us today. Good gravy. It seems like you just did here the other day. Back again, and we're gonna shake the Shamrocks.
Speaker 2: Yes, we are.
Speaker 1: Gonna rock Shamrock to the Bill.
Speaker 2: That's the plan.
Speaker 1: Tell us a little bit about Catholic Charities Mary Martha Outreach and Shamrock to the Bill. Put them all together.
Speaker 2: You can do that, okay.
Speaker 3: So Catholic Charities Mary Martha Outreach, we're located west of town and we are a food pantry and we also provide clothing and crisis help for our neighbors in need. And so where Shamrock the Bill ties in is. It's our one and only fundraiser and it's a five k run and one mile fun run or you can walk as well. So, but it's our only fundraiser and it helps us just keep providing that for our community.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's big. This has been going on now. This is your sweet.
Speaker 2: Sixteen, Sweet sixteen, that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and every year it's just a little different, but it's very.
Speaker 3: Much the same well, you know, like you said earlier, tradition counts, so we have subtle differences.
Speaker 1: But my goodness sakes, one thing is is that a lot of people show up.
Speaker 2: It's a sea of green. Yes.
Speaker 3: It is so nice to because we have a committee and we put a lot of hard work in and we usually start, you know, before the end of the year, and to see it all come together and the fruits of our labor, it's it's nice to see everyone show up.
Speaker 1: It's really awesome. And when you walk out there toward the Price Tower in the green space there Unity Square, you see the people getting their packets all lined up and get making sure that they're all registered ready to roll, there is nothing but people. Yeah. But there it's a quick moving line of people. Yeah, and they're all very happy.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: I think it's because one, you've got to have some good exercise and too, it's going for a great cause.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's a well oiled that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Now, how do we sign up for this grand.
Speaker 3: So registration has been open. It's on Shamrockthville dot com and you can go in there and register online and we're open for registrations. We're open for volunteers because it takes a whole crew to really run it appropriately. And we're also still open for sponsorships.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, who would want to see thousands of buys on your banner? Yeah, exactly. Of course being associated with a great tradition that we have here too, So yeah, it's a big plus. How many volunteers do you usually tell?
Speaker 3: Oh, gosh, I would say at least probably anywhere from fifty to sixty, I would say, you know, counting our team members that the committee, and because we try to place people at every corner and we have a safety crew and yeah, so we try to Yeah, we try to beef it up.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen all of them because.
Speaker 2: They're spread out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I to see the ones there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they meet up and when you volunteer, you get a free T shirt and you know, we are kind of known for our really cool shirt.
Speaker 1: Tell us about this because those are different every year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so this is an older one. This is kind this is you know, twenty three. Last year was our fifteen, so that was a big one. We did like a sea foam green long sleeve. We're going short sleeve this year. And I guess I can spill the beans it's kind of like a Heather Emerald green. So, yeah, but it's going to be soft. That's what everyone goes for, is the softness.
Speaker 1: Nobody wants that stuff that scratches while you're running, right, and of course you get that after.
Speaker 2: Exactly you don't want to run?
Speaker 1: People do?
Speaker 2: A lot of people do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now you got the walk part.
Speaker 3: What's so well, we just wanted to make sure people know it's a family friendly event. So there's a lot of them that's out there that's running trying to get you know, prs, but there's a lot that just come out as groups.
Speaker 2: And just to come out to support us.
Speaker 3: And they walk and they run, they you know, bring their kids along.
Speaker 2: Now the Fun Run is just a.
Speaker 3: Mile so much easier, which I don't even think I could do that, but so we have a lot of littles that run in the Fun Run with their parents.
Speaker 2: So it's it's really cute to see that.
Speaker 1: What I see is a lot of strollers, a lot of a lot of young people getting these the modeling that this is how we take care of ourselves, this is this is a fun thing to do with. Yeah, pressure, let's move around.
Speaker 2: Well, it's kind of the kickoff of spring too.
Speaker 3: You know it's it's March eighth this year, so it's a kickoff of spring. So everyone's really to get out of the houses, especially after you know, some of the cold weather we've been having, so we pray that we have really nice weather for everyone as well.
Speaker 2: So that's always.
Speaker 3: We're usually up, you know, watching the weather, biting our nails till the night before.
Speaker 2: So yeah, literally every year.
Speaker 1: Shamrock the Bill coming up on the eighth of March. It's got to be downtown. Now, do we have like a pre uh setup as far as picking up your package?
Speaker 3: Yes, so you you can register now and it's twenty five dollars and then we'll have packet pick up on Thursday, which would be the sixth, March sixth, and we'll have that at Marymowth's outreach, so you can come in there and get your packet and your bib and shirt and be ready to go. Race starts promptly at nine am on Saturday.
Speaker 1: You got the full big deal where you run through the time.
Speaker 2: Janet, Yeah, oh yeah, that is so cool.
Speaker 3: Last year at blew Away it blued down. It was very windy last year, so we had a little a little miss up with that, but yeah, no, we used tater Racing out of Tulsa, and we just we try to make it as fun and friendly and as it could possibly be. We have great sponsors. Sutterfield and Conico Phillips are presenting sponsors, and we have.
Speaker 2: P sixty six and yeah, we just we have a.
Speaker 3: Lot of even the smaller sponsorships add up. So you know, you can donate twenty dollars and it adds to our to help, so.
Speaker 1: Now you get help from all over the place too. But every twenty dollars goes so far as far as sure that you know, more people have access to food. There's food, then there's food right now, some places you might be able to find food, but it's basically a food, does it. It's not fruits vegetables beat right, it's basically tater chips, right.
Speaker 3: No, we definitely try to provide a well rounded source, you know, fresh fruit and vegetables. So we get the majority of our food from the Walmart distribution center south of town.
Speaker 2: Cann't do it without them.
Speaker 3: We're also a United Way partners, so they give us money for our food and clothing and our crisis budget because We also do back to school clothing, brand new clothing, do our coat drive every year and those are always, you know, big success. But we could we couldn't do it without the donations of our community.
Speaker 1: One thing nobody ever would a funk is that something that was just so confounding as covid could change your business model, maybe to the point of bodily effisiency.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so far, that's the best thing that came out of it for us.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We turned it into a drive through model and works correctly.
Speaker 3: It does, and it's been so efficient that we have continued to keep it that way. We did offer an evening client choice market last week for the first inaugural evening. It didn't go too well because I think it's just new people are you know.
Speaker 2: I said, creatures of habit.
Speaker 3: But so we're going to do that again in February on a Tuesday, I believe it's the third week of February.
Speaker 2: We'll do an evening.
Speaker 3: Okay, because we have a lot of people that are you know, that are working and can't meet our times during the day, which we let other families and neighbors pick up for them and on their behalf, but the nighttime gives them another opportunity to come and get food.
Speaker 1: So that's one thing that maybe some people they heard that and they said, well, wait a minute, if they're working, well, there is such a thing as the working distressed.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, we have a lot of that. If not, it's probably our biggest sector.
Speaker 1: It is. These are people who are doing everything they can, keep a roof over their heads and keep the kids in school.
Speaker 2: You just can't make them ends eat.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's just like gosh, if I can just yeah, ten to fifteen more bucks, you know, maybe things will be different. But until you find that, it's nice.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and that's what we supplement food.
Speaker 3: You know, they can get food once a week and it might be a two day, three day supplement depending on how what quantity we have. But a lot of them just can't make those ends meet, and so it's just important for us to be able to provide for that, especially with.
Speaker 1: Children because you know, yeah, I've been there. Yeah you're looking at a hook and cheese.
Speaker 2: That's a whole different, that's it. So it's very important for us to be able to continue what we do.
Speaker 1: So you know, every time I see they have feet of the volunteers and everybody that works out there at Mary Martha. I just think of the families who are being helped and that now one kid who's got a little bit better day today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he's got a full That mean.
Speaker 1: He's got a chance. He's got a chance.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: And education is so important, so we're, you know, big proponents of that. So we just want to make sure that everyone has what they need. They all deserve it.
Speaker 1: We've got the shamrock the Bill.
Speaker 2: Dot dot com.
Speaker 3: Also have a Facebook page shamrock the Bill, and we have event in there, so I hope everyone goes and follows and joins that and it gets registered soon.
Speaker 1: Now what about us folks who time hasn't been too good to us? We we we like to watch check.
Speaker 3: Absolutely absolutely yes we We also have an option called cheering from the Couch and it gets you one of those yeah and.
Speaker 2: One of those splendid T shirts.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so no, absolutely, we won't turn anything away.
Speaker 1: Very good. I'm just curious about that because you know, everybody else is having fun, and I like watching people having fun. Yeah, you know, the wheels ain't with.
Speaker 2: The well no, no, mine never have been.
Speaker 1: So but anyway, this is year number sixteen. You got to you gotta do this if nothing else, folks, just to keep the continuum of these shirts. We've got people who have or fifteen.
Speaker 3: Yes, one of our committee members actually made a quilt and I actually wrapped up in that last year when I did the awards announcements because it was it was pretty.
Speaker 1: Chilly, a little bit of Oh well, Missy, I want to thank you very much for being here once again. That is March the eighth, and it's going to be downtown.
Speaker 2: Downtown is a pleasure.
Speaker 1: And we're going to have ourselves a blast. Yes, I'm going to go back and visitors before we do this.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think I come in the in the February. Well, i'll be back maybe.
Speaker 1: Christy wish All with Mary Martha Outreach at Catholic Charities right here on Kay one, Keen Howell, Arnold Moore,