Speaker 1: Check podcasts.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly podcast. Catch the show Monday through Fudday, ten am to noon on Check.
Speaker 1: I think you're gonna want to hear this.
Speaker 2: Your local sports coverage lives here.
Speaker 1: Two nothing.
Speaker 2: It's Alba not so fast Coho breath with John Taylor.
Speaker 3: I say that the winner of the draft lottery should be the winner.
Speaker 1: Of a two man loose. And Rick Dolly Wall I had a cherry tree up a little Ricky. I used to go up that tree and just sit there for hours and munch on news.
Speaker 2: Cherry years Donnie and Dolly ten o'clocket downtown Vancouver with a Paul Carson studio.
Speaker 1: Thanks for tuning in, folks.
Speaker 3: It's Donnie and Dolly the team on Check. Don Taylor, along with Rick Dolly Wall. Ryan Henderson is our producer. He's the man at the controls or director. The voice of God is Derek w How are you, Lovely Waite about a lot of soccer?
Speaker 1: Oh? We got talk soccer the whole two hours today. I'm into it now. Last night I was watching Iran and New Zealand. New Zealand, What a game to too? Yeah, that was the best of the four I thought.
Speaker 3: I thought the whole the whole day was just tremendous, all four matches ending in draws. But New Zealand and Iran seemilarly out of nowhere. The most entertaining tip to tail, I thought, But and and by the way, and Ryan, you can change chime in here if you as as if you won't anyway, So I get up in the morning. Okay, this is going to be a wipeout Cabo verdet versus Spain.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I have to admit I am the dumbest person in the world, and I certainly hear about that in.
Speaker 1: The bayside inbox a lot.
Speaker 3: I'd never heard of that country. It's off the west coast of Africa. I learned all up four hundred thousand people. Rick, Rick, just hold on, I know you're looking it up, but I'm sure you have a well to midfrom.
Speaker 1: Pardon me. It's located in the central on the.
Speaker 3: West coast, off the west coast of Africa.
Speaker 1: Ye, western, we said, no, right, yeah, three and fifty to fire miles.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: Anyway, some of us can use our brains.
Speaker 1: Other people have to use the computer. Okay, So I never heard of the country. Did you did anybody hear about it?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Know about it.
Speaker 3: And so this was just fascinating watching this and their goalkeeper, you know, like upping is Twitter account to five million people, like it was just it was just it's Fascinat's the World Cup. And I'll tell you what I I went downtown last week. I go for a little walk, get my steps in last week, and I was skeptical about the World Cup and you go downtown, this is when games aren't even on, and it's just buzzing down downtown. It's fantastic. We forget that the World Cup includes the world and it's the iied just about Canada and it just is so special and I'm I'm captivated by it and I can't wait for today. Four matches today, France is playing in Bape, that means in Bape, Norway with Holland and Argentina with the Messi and then you know, following up by Ostria versus Jordan. I can't wait to get home and watch. Not that I don't enjoy doing the show with you guys, So more on that a little bit later. But we wanted to talk about this. We are in Canada, but hockey Night in Canada. Big news, big news today. So Sportsnat's new NHL deal, the new contract twelve years. It starts in the fall after that has finished the first twelve year deal with the NHL. So today we find out Hockey Night in Canada is no longer going to be aired on CBC. There was a partnership there with Sportsnet over the last twelve years they both aired Hockey and eight in Canada. It's not going to be the case anymore gone, So Hockey Night in Canada on CBC. It's still going to be around on Sports then, but on CBC national institution that we all pay into. It goes back to nineteen twenty three on the radio.
Speaker 1: Yes, Ryan, make your joke.
Speaker 3: I remember nineteen twenty three I covered the first ever Hockey Night in Canada broadcast. I was on it, very funny. Nineteen fifty two for television, no longer on CBC.
Speaker 1: Are we going to be okay?
Speaker 4: For us?
Speaker 1: You and a seventy five year run And I can't tell you enough. In the seventies and eighties, at Donnie Hockey Night in Canada Saturday, the whole family would watch it. It was the go to thing to do there was nothing more Canadian than watching CBC on Saturday nights in the seventies and eighties and the sixties and fifties before that. But now there's five hundred channels. It's just it's lost its luster. It's not a big deal anymore because there's five hundred. No I know, because I go, what's the use when the same game is on CBC that is on Sports now, you just pick one of the two. It's back in the seventies and eighties, it meant something. We only had to what would your solution be there? Well, I don't know what the solution is. I just see this media going in fifty different directions. I don't like it. I'd like the old days. I'd like when we all just sat together and watched hockey night.
Speaker 3: Why can't you still do that now? I know, I know where you're coming from, and I'm sad about it, i am, but it was redundant and I just wish it was just just on on CBC and that was it, just because I'm an old man and I don't want things to change. But it's still there. How can Canada is still there? Still nothing is stopping us from watching as a family or I find a lot. In a lot of cases, hocken It in Canada is just on, whether you're watching it intently or not, it's just on, and it's a Canadian tradition, and especially so when it was on CB see for us who.
Speaker 1: Were a little to older. You know, I missed the old intro jingle. I don't know.
Speaker 3: What you know what, I am so bad. I don't even know what their intro is exactly. I can't remember when sports Net first took over and they were Remember TSN bought the theme and still owns the old Hoe in Canada theme. I don't even know what their theme is anymore, but I remember was a big deal to hear.
Speaker 1: The the that theme growing up was just that's what we look for.
Speaker 3: We have Ryan, I don't even know, like what it's not there isn't that they had a big remember they had a big contest when sports Net took over, several musicians. Yeah, they tried, came up with intest and somebody somebody wonted and they had bagpipes in.
Speaker 1: It was pretty good and.
Speaker 3: Then it just kind of went away. I don't even know what they have anymore. That's that's on me.
Speaker 1: I guess, I think.
Speaker 3: But anyway, it's not all about the theme. It's still going to be on but there's just something that that that's missing with it not being on CBC.
Speaker 1: What am I hearing here?
Speaker 4: I was trying to find the bagpipe one because that was the first one.
Speaker 3: Do you remember you remember the one I'm talking about? It wasn't I remember the first one. It wasn't as certainly coming out. She is the old one.
Speaker 4: I think it's this one. This is the this was the first new Hockey Night when after they lost, after they lost.
Speaker 3: A yeah, creak it up. Yeah, but they but the bottom there is a bagpipe.
Speaker 4: It was at the start. Yeah, it was at the start, right, but they they The bottom line is they had an intro that was like you knew it was unique.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no there A Bell bought it.
Speaker 4: There's yeah, which great. They use it on regional broadcasts. Good to use the money there. I don't know, there's just no uniqueness to rick. Rick is right, like Hockey Knights lost lost a bit of a shine because Hockey Night now on sports Net, which carries every other NHL game, is on on Saturday at four and stead and sure that part's unique. But none of it, none of it, none of none of nothing else is there's no unique graphic package. There's the studio looks a lot of the same as it does on Wednesday night. And whatever.
Speaker 3: Absolutely you have you have different hosts, You've got their main host there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you don't get Kevin.
Speaker 3: More on him later if we have time. By the way, David Amber and Kevin and and Elliott and Jennifer and Kelly and for whatever reason it's up, for whatever reason, it's over saturation. Here's my argument though, like just to play Devil's Advocate, do you want to go back to it once a week?
Speaker 4: No, but you could still make Hockey Night feels special.
Speaker 3: And that that you can think with something I know people think, what are you talking about music? Who can Well, that would make it special and a different just a different, more unique graphic path. Yes, something, just to separate it from what we see, you know, over the course of a week right on sports the right normally. But but I mean the do you want to go back to the old days when you know it was just.
Speaker 1: Saturday and the Blue Jackets.
Speaker 3: There was one game the light Blue Jacket, Light Blue Jackets, maybe a Wednesday broadcast that was it.
Speaker 1: Hey, you don't want to go back to that Dave Hodge throwing the pen, Howie Meeker, you missed it. They don't have that stuff anymore. It's just too bland. There's too many broadcasts. They don't think they're safe. For now it's much more safe as much. People can rip into them all they want. There's You're never gonna be anybody like Don Cherry. No, he was.
Speaker 3: He was a superstar of Canadian broadcasting and that's part of the reason why maybe we don't feel that hockey in Canada is as special as it used to be. And leaving CBC is a sad day for people like yourself and myself.
Speaker 1: We're older. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know how many people are gonna feel bad about it in the younger age group, like like young Ryan over here.
Speaker 4: I'm probably in the minority.
Speaker 1: People aren't old soul.
Speaker 4: A lot of people don't care. Just give me my game. I don't care what platform it's on. I don't care what that's the problem. I just want to see five hundred every game is on TV. That's the problem. But that's not a problem.
Speaker 1: It is a problem because everyone's flicking back and forth, and you're probably we had two options. We had CBC and the French channel. French channel would play the Habs and CBC.
Speaker 3: Would play the Leafs sometimes the same and we.
Speaker 1: Get a Canuck game every once every three months. But we were old that was better. No, no, but we were okay with it, and in some ways it was we were well, we were more focused. You absorbed it, Mormons, you absorbed it more.
Speaker 4: Our attention span.
Speaker 1: Now, how do you remember, like you'd even remember, you don't know what devil was CBC in the eighties.
Speaker 4: No, But okay, when I was growing up, not every Knuck game was on TV. I was getting you're getting closer to eighty two. But I remember every conversations in my family. People might remember this the yearly two thousands when the Knuck games were on pay per view, and my family would have conversations and whether or not we were going to buy the game because we weren't gonna buy every My parents were going to buck up for every hockey game.
Speaker 1: Especially the ones you were calling. That was gonna happen. So it was a preseason game.
Speaker 4: By the way, Derek, can you put this photo up? This photo is amazing that I just found. This is Bob Cole, that blue jacket. But see this, this was tradition.
Speaker 1: This was hockey night in Canada, and you know Jim robson War and we can go through all the names. Danny Gallovian, Oh my gosh, you.
Speaker 3: Guys, there seemed to be more character back then. Oh big, Like, I don't know why, And part of it is like right now, I am you know what I'm like, I'm anti panel. I I don't like it when there's six voices other than the NBA on ESPN with those guys are so entertaining. But but I just like I liked it when it was Cherry one on one with Yeah, it was, and I know there's you know, there's another story there with Ron and Don and what happened, you know, on that infamous night not that long ago when Don Cherry lost his job. But I really like that when you're really I'd love to see them do something like that with b X, just one on one with him.
Speaker 4: But no, because why why because the people are going to compare it to that, and they shouldn't let Kevin Kevin.
Speaker 3: Enough time has passed where maybe that you wouldn't see as many companions as you.
Speaker 1: We ran home, so we even if we played ball hockey, we ran home to not miss Don Cherry. We ran What is about today's broadcast that you're running home to get There's no there's nothing.
Speaker 3: Okay, nothing, I'm going to I like the rapport between Elliott and Kevin.
Speaker 1: It's very good.
Speaker 3: I think Ban McClain, despite what happened in game six and people, I want to talk about this later sometime during the week.
Speaker 1: I think that's that's very very good. But it's it's hard.
Speaker 3: You're right in a way, Ryan, it's hard to compare anything to Don Cherry. And you brought up another name, Rick that people forget. How Howie Meekers as an in game analyst.
Speaker 1: Oh, he really did a great job.
Speaker 3: Back it up, back it up, not just not not just telling you what was going on as an analyst. And there weren't many Howie Meekers around people who were really diving into the ins and outs of the game and providing all sorts of personality too. It was a great break today's broadcast.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but how many? How many? The NHL hasn't produced a lot of those guys. We had one here, John Garrett was one here. Sure, I had a lot of character in game doing a broad find there's.
Speaker 3: More personalities on local broadcast than national ones. Yeah, I mean, I just think again, Kevin and Elliott do do a fabulous job.
Speaker 4: They do, and I mean I just yeah, there's but what you.
Speaker 3: Sorry, Ryan, but what you said is I think bang on, you can't go back to.
Speaker 1: The old days.
Speaker 3: Hey, folks, guess what we're gonna you know, subtract a whole bunch of broadcasts during the week and we're only gonna have one game a week.
Speaker 1: That's not that's not gonna happen.
Speaker 3: But what you said, you can differentiate separating from the rest of the broadcast by coming up with a kick ash theme, different graphics, you know, make different cameras, different camera angles. They've done that before.
Speaker 4: Try something. Look got started on.
Speaker 3: Camera angles, the refcam and all that, the power play cam.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, it would just add to it, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Something different, But I different graphics, punchy punchy music. They could do different things. Maybe you did have an experiment with Kevin bi extra one on one. At least try it. If it works, that's fine. He's a real talent. So I don't know. I just think there's things they can separate. I think you're bang on with what you.
Speaker 1: Just said there. It's sad. It's sad, seventy five year run for CBC and it's tough. I mean for guys like you and I, Donnie, we remember, you know, but it's still gonna be on.
Speaker 4: But you know what, Donnie, you get it. There's a lot of people in the inbox. I think we're forgetting sometimes. There's a lot of people in the inbox that might not have sports Net and so they were still watching hockey now on CBC. And I know, like we're in this day and age of like, well, you gotta join us or you're screwed. But it's not. Sometimes sometimes people think that's easier than what it is. Just sign up for sports and I'll just do this, like this guy, Peter Punk. There's also people in rule areas that you might not have digital access and all those sorts of things to just easily get sports Net and now you're being shut out with the end of CBC. I mean again, we just steam ahead nowadays, just like this is what we're doing almost too much.
Speaker 1: But there's too much like you could play. There's thirteen games on it one Rick, Right, Well, how are you gonna look around at thirteen games?
Speaker 5: Sure?
Speaker 3: But but I mean, are we gonna go backwards?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: But when when you you have to take everything into consideration, and what you're talking about is financial or just your current situation where you can't access it, you can't get it for whatever, for whatever reason. Maybe doubtedly it's a big corporation. Really doesn't care about anybody, including the Abbotsford Canucks.
Speaker 1: They don't, they don't. They don't care about anybody, don't. They don't think of it. They don't think of those things. We're gonna break.
Speaker 4: We gotta Travis.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, here's what's coming up on the show, DTMZ Is it just me?
Speaker 1: Coming up?
Speaker 3: In the eleven o'clock hour, Math is pressed on the Vancouver Giants is going to join us A Math did very well at the NHL Scouting Combine. I think he finished top ten and seven of the physical skill tests there. He's going to join us, spect to go late first round, early second round. Maybe he's a future of anchor of Canuck We'll talk to Matthis said around eleven fifteen or so, Craig Button TSN scouting director will join us at eleven Big Ride. The Quitter Guy coming up later this hour and up next He's going into the BC Hockey Hall of Fame in July. Former head coach of the Vankacnucks, current head coach of the Ottawa Senators.
Speaker 1: He's got them into the playoffs the last two years.
Speaker 3: Travis Green, He's going to join his join his pride of Castle Guard.
Speaker 1: Travis is next, Johnny Dolly the team on check. Donnie and Dolly.
Speaker 6: The team is supported by Abelauctions dot ca a Closing your Business we can help.
Speaker 3: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner.
Speaker 1: Online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 3: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold. Please email sales at able Auctions dot CA. That's Sales nab l A Auctions dot CA.
Speaker 1: Tuesday and Oli.
Speaker 3: Our guests today brought to you by our title sponsor Able Auctions and by the way our guests include Travis Green, oh standing by he remembers hockey in Canada and CBC gigitar Our title spots or able auctions, Ableauctions dot CA Ottawa Senators head coach at Travis Green. Senators finished in the Eastern Conference second wildcard spot. They made the playoffs again ninety nine points, swept by Carolina in the first round of the playoffs. And we're getting Travis on because he's being inducted into the BC Hockey Hall of Fame July eleventh in Penticton. Travis, thanks for doing this, sir.
Speaker 4: How are you.
Speaker 5: I'm doing great, guys, Thanks for having me. Always fun to come on and talk to you guys.
Speaker 3: No problem, DC Hockey Hall of Fame. What does that induction mean to you, Travis.
Speaker 7: Man, I don't even know if it's really sunk in still yet. I think, you know, the first thing that comes to mind is humbling. You know, as a kid growing up in Castle Gar pretty well only dreamed about playing in the NHL. Never once, you know, the dream of being in the in the Hall of Fame. Even when they called me it was it was.
Speaker 5: Humbling.
Speaker 7: It's just a great honor, be a great opportunity for me to thank some people that have meant so much to me in my life.
Speaker 3: Before we get into talking about your senators at Travis, what was it How did it all start for you? Were you a minor hockey phenom in Castle Guar.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I grew up playing in minor hockey and Castlegar pretty well, with the same group of friends the whole way through.
Speaker 5: It's such a small town.
Speaker 7: We didn't have a lot of you know, a ton of players or a lot of turnover from year to year on our teams. You know, I played Dane Jackson is a good name that played for the Canucks.
Speaker 5: Wellgo he was. We played on the same team growing up through our whole life.
Speaker 7: And then I got to play for the Castigar Rebels. I started the season as a fourteen year old and that was you know the Kijhl and back then you could have twenty one year olds, so I was playing against men that were, you know, six seven years older, and that was that was a real eye opener for me.
Speaker 5: But I really enjoyed that season. It was a great group of.
Speaker 7: Guys that brought me along and you know, I still talk about Castlegar.
Speaker 5: It's It's still home for me.
Speaker 7: It always will be, even though I don't live there. I try to go back and visit every summer. But a lot of my best friends are still guys that I played with and grew up going to high school with.
Speaker 1: Travis, your Ottawa senitors played Carolina and round one. Did you think after that series they could go all the way and win the Stanley Cup?
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, I did. I thought it before the series. I thought it after. You know, they're a team that's been knocking on the door. It seems like, you know, for a long time now. They always have a really good team. I love the way they play, and you know, you're never happy that anyone wins the Stanley Cup in.
Speaker 5: Our position or when you're in the league.
Speaker 7: You got to feel good about for them because they've been working to get there for a long time and have come up short, and yet they've still stuck to the process and their beliefs within their system.
Speaker 1: Travis, a lot of Jalen Chatfield talk this week in Vancouver. You had you had him in Vancous. Did you ever think this guy was going to be a top four right shot d and played that many minutes? He was pretty significant.
Speaker 7: He was awesome. You know, hey, I'm really happy for Chatty. He's a really hard worker. He really tries to work on his craft. I felt like the season that we had him, he played well for us. He probably played a little bit over his skis playing a little bit, you know. I remember times we were playing Chatty that year with Alex Adler at times, and but you could see that he was, you know, he was a real driven player. And you're happy for guys when they have success. And obviously he's matured a lot since then as a as a player in the NHL, which happens, you know, from your rookie season to your fifth, sixth, seventh year in the league, there's major change in a person's game.
Speaker 5: But you know, you're always happy for guys he've coached before, or that win.
Speaker 1: Great season, Travis ninety nine points, Lots of good things to build off of. For you, what are you looking for this summer to even get better and better?
Speaker 5: Well, that's I think that's the key.
Speaker 7: Uh, you know, I think our team is you know, I like I like the season we had.
Speaker 5: We went through a little bit of adversity.
Speaker 7: I thought we played better this past season than we did the season before.
Speaker 5: On the ice, but I thought we really matured off the ice.
Speaker 7: When you're playing good hockey and you're not getting getting the results you want like we were early in the year, it's easy for a team to, you know, look for excuses or look for different answers.
Speaker 5: But they didn't.
Speaker 7: They they stayed strong within the group and got themselves into the playoffs, played great down the stretch. Ah. Yeah, So we had a good season and now it's about again coming back next year. Everyone knows how tough the Atlantic Division is. It's all about getting better and making an improvement and taking another step.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You talk about excuses.
Speaker 3: You certainly had to deal with injuries, especially to your blue line Travis up front. Tim Stutzel led your team in points. What does he mean to your hockey club?
Speaker 7: Obviously a lot. You know, he's he's our most skilled player. I've worked with timmy now for two years and he's a fun player to coach, you know, not not just because he's skilled and and he's a really good hockey player, but he.
Speaker 5: Wants to be he wants to be his best.
Speaker 7: He's ultra competitive. He wants to be coached. You know, you can coach him hard at times, and he's fine with it. We can have open, honest communication and he just wants to win really bad. And I think his game has grown and it's and he's still really young, like he looked at I don't even know.
Speaker 5: How old Timmy is. I think he's twenty three, twenty four years old.
Speaker 7: And that's the exciting part because it seems like every every month he seems to get a little better. And it's not always just his play with the puck. His play away from the puck has has really grown. And you know, for a young superstar, he's really coachable and and he you know, which is important.
Speaker 5: I think for teams to.
Speaker 7: Grow and become better, you know between the coaching staff and the players that it's a partnership and and as long as they know that you're you're in it with them, teams can grow.
Speaker 5: And he's a great example of it.
Speaker 3: Talking with Travis Green sensitive the subject, Travis, but Linus Almark has been open about talking about his struggles. Yeah, what have you learned about mental health and in dealing with your goaltender?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's uh, you know a I think it's it's really important in this day and age that people can open up and talk about it when they're struggling.
Speaker 5: Obviously, Uh, Lena's had a rough tough here.
Speaker 7: Uh, you know, from from the mental side of things, and uh to the point where he had to lead the team for a little while.
Speaker 5: And you know, I don't ever.
Speaker 7: Speak for what he actually went through, but being close to it, it's you know, it's hard to watch the player that you care for, either as a teammate or as a coach to a player, to go through.
Speaker 5: Something like that.
Speaker 7: And I think a it's really important that people do feel comfortable opening up and talking about it if they're struggling, whether it's and not just in sport, but in life.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 7: You know what was what was really really great about it is you know when he came back, how well he played down the stretch going into the and not it's not all about the play, but you know, obviously he you could tell that he felt better about himself as far as what he was going through, and you know, to see him have some success and play the way he could, I'm sure he felt extremely good about himself. And you know, you want your players to feel good all the time.
Speaker 5: Away from the rink. At home in their home life, and yet that you're not responsible for that.
Speaker 7: So, uh, you know, I'm just happy that he took his time and came back and he seemed like a different person. But as far as him showing strength to talk about it and hopefully it helps someone else, not just in the sporting world, but in life.
Speaker 1: Travis one more Manny Malholtray. You worked with him before he's the new head coach of the Canucks. You got to be happy before of Travis.
Speaker 5: No, I really am. Uh. You know, when you.
Speaker 7: Coach with a guy for a while and you get to know know him, and I don't think people understand and how close the friends you become on a coaching staff, and uh, I'm just really happy for Annie, happy for our j obviously the twins too. There's such icons in the city. You know, they're gonna they're gonna do great there. They're gonna work hard, They're.
Speaker 5: Gonna the city is gonna get their best. Ah. They're all smart people.
Speaker 7: And uh, you know, I couldn't be happier for all of.
Speaker 3: Them and Travis off season other than going to PENTIICT in July eleventh for the induction ceremony.
Speaker 1: What are your plans for the off season.
Speaker 5: I'll head back for the draft and free agency.
Speaker 7: And then stay there for probably a couple of weeks, head up to Penticton, and then all of a sudden, you're starting to wind down toward get together with our staff to work on our game next year and changes that we.
Speaker 5: Need to but.
Speaker 7: You know, try to unwind a little bit. Coaching is a twenty four to seven jobs, you guys know, and but you start to miss it. You watch, you watch, not start to you do miss it when you see a team raise the Stanley Cup and it's almost like you can't wait to get going again and you wish the season was starting sooner than later.
Speaker 3: Travis can't thank you enough for doing this, Appreciate it and.
Speaker 1: All the best.
Speaker 5: Awesome guys. Was always fun to come on.
Speaker 3: Okay, thanks Travis, appreciate Travis green Head, coach Ottawa Senators. And again that Hockey Hall of FAMEBC Hockey Hall of Fame Industrial ceremony in Penticton July eleventh. And speaking of Penticton matthis Preston of the vankorvery giants, who's going to join us around eleven.
Speaker 1: Fifteen or so.
Speaker 3: It's from Pitt to talk to him about that great city as well. Okay, break, we'll introduce the Wadding Dog poll quest to next Donnie, and you've got some interesting conduct news. Donnie, delight the team on Jack. Looking for the ultimate Vancouver Island getaway. Head to beautiful Parksville and experience the Bayside ocean Front Resort, where every stay feels like a vacation you'll never forget. From sunrise walks on the beach to sunsets on the patio, Bayside puts you steps from the sand with ocean views in every direction, Splashing the indoor and outdoor pools, hit the fitness center, then relax with a hand crafted cocktail at the ocean front restaurant and lounge. Whether it's date night, a family trip, or a corporate event, Bayside is your perfect year round escape. Book your getaway now at two five zero, two four eight eight triple three. Your Island adventure starts here. Wadling Dog Pole Question experience one of Victory's iconic destinations. Catch the World Cup at the Waddling Dog with Canada games including Thursday against Katar, shown live and loud on all twenty two TVs with full sound, Come sit and stay at the dog.
Speaker 1: Today, Rick Ryan got her up the waddling dog pop pole question. How much of the World Cup are you watching? Just Canada's matches at sixteen percent but leading the way all of it thirty two percent, A little bit of it, thirty one percent. When's the NHL draft twenty one percent? A little of it? I was watching highlights last night. I was in and us watching dot don. I was in and out of the Iran game. They tied it too two with the header in the box. So I was watching believe me down the shore highlights. I watched no. But then at eleven o'clock I watched the highlights or sorry at ten, highlights at eleven with you back in the day. But now the highlights are at ten, not eleven, so I people are aware of that. Yeah, now the highlights were in ten. You don't have to wait till eleven anyways.
Speaker 3: Before that throughout the course of the day. But what about actually watching the matches?
Speaker 1: I mean and out? What do you want me to do? I got I got people to text, I got people to prepare for the show. You got to prepare for the show every catchit and watch every soccer game be on in the background. I'm not a back then there was there was one really good tweet.
Speaker 3: I wish I would have remembered who tweeted it out, not anybody who's a broadcast or anybody anybody famous, but it was a shot of a mole coming out of a coming out of the ground, and the caption was, you know me after watching four World Cup matches, you know, there's a lot of people just sitting on their couch all day long watching all the all of this, whether they're big soccer fans or not. It's really captivating it.
Speaker 1: It's really captured me.
Speaker 3: I think it's just been absolutely fabulous and just the thought that is I you know, I guess I I'm I'm not as passionate clearly as a lot of people out there. The travel that people do, I mean, coming from all corners of I know, this is such an obvious thing to say.
Speaker 1: Coming from all corners of.
Speaker 3: The planet to Vancouver or one of the sixteen cities in North America, it's just really special and the buzz is there and it's great. I'll try to watch as much as I can, certainly of the Canadian matches and last.
Speaker 1: Night, just like you, I googled the you know, Cabo Verde? Where is it?
Speaker 3: You know, what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Last night when they announced Cabo Verde had a third smallest country at the World Cup, and then I wanted to know where Cabo Verde was. I mean, look, I had one good year. I never heard of it. I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: I know I'm not the smartest guy in the world.
Speaker 1: I hadn't heard of it. And here they are giving Spain a massive scare. Scare. That's why you take social studies. And I had one good year apparently, and I didn't know. I had one good year in Grade eight Social studies after that and I can't remember a good year. But that's why social studa.
Speaker 3: That's the one subject that I think most people did one year.
Speaker 1: And mister mister swallwawh gave me an A and he said, you know what he said, swallow. He was up from a BC liton offensive lineman. You know what he said he said to me when I got the A. He said, you see, knucklehead, when you apply yourself, what can happen?
Speaker 3: Uh bayside inbox from Navin Delta and we're getting a lot of this and I want to tell this story. What kind of Just for men is Donnie used this morning? Is it regular Brown or Hazel Brown? I had adjust for a man incident on the weekend. On Saturday, we were going out. Trevor Henderson, my friend from Global TV and from our.
Speaker 1: Great days to get career Sports Page.
Speaker 3: He retired after forty plus years in the business.
Speaker 1: Just a wonderful cameraman.
Speaker 3: We had traveled together all over North America, worked together for so long. One of the reasons Sports Page was so successful and one of the reasons Global Sports continues to be uh successor. Out there in Burnaby, I put the just ferm in and then I got involved, you know, looking at my phone on Twitter, and I realized I had it in too long.
Speaker 1: So it gets darker that way. So okay, have your phone? You put Yes, you put something in your hair to keep it dark?
Speaker 3: Yeah, like you do?
Speaker 1: Not stop stop. Maurice Richard, what did he have.
Speaker 3: The commercial creation formula looking so good?
Speaker 1: What was the gel back in the eighties? What was it called? You remember the gel real cream barl cream barl cream, But that was gel. Okay, But so you're putting stuff in your hair to keep it dark. I don't do that. Well, it's natural, it's natural. Let it go. If it goes white, let it go white.
Speaker 3: I put stuff on my hair to make it too dark. What do you up to, Ryan?
Speaker 1: No, what what's going on?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 1: So, yeah, when he left town, all that hair was white. Let's get that out of there.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, no no no, his hair was white before.
Speaker 4: This was it for people on the podcast. Yeah, it's a photo, Ben and Jim. Jim is a very nice guy.
Speaker 1: Very nice. Say that right now, very nice, very nice. Here, I'll tell you what for me.
Speaker 4: Well, this incident with the hair dye, no, def is the problem.
Speaker 3: He clearly dyed his eyebrows as well.
Speaker 4: Okay, so I've got Derek here. I do have another photo from game at the draft. It's not the best photo, but this goes to show that he he had like the all in package. Yeah, with the darker eyebrows.
Speaker 3: They have the just for men for mustaches and beard beards. I haven't seen the eyebrow just for men, which I guess you can just.
Speaker 4: Let let it go gray man, let it like, let it go.
Speaker 1: And it's gonna go naturally gray.
Speaker 4: Yeah. The longer, we longer.
Speaker 1: Guys, are you look at my look at my beard? Yeah, I'm white here twenty three.
Speaker 4: I'm thirty five. This is working on you. Guys.
Speaker 1: You don't need anything. What you need is fruits, vegetables they stop. Fruits, vegeed and water every day. That's all you need. Your hair will not go white. Take her to the bank and do research. Hold on right now, you're missed fruit and you've got gray hair. You see me eat fruit every day. But I look at your hair, I have look at my look, it's all black.
Speaker 4: You know what?
Speaker 1: I got some just for menfroy, I'll give it to you. I will never use products. Never.
Speaker 4: If Donava comes back for next season and his hair is jet black, that would be a yeah.
Speaker 1: And eyebrush? Yeah, do though. Fruits, vegetables and water for skin and hair. You know I love those. These guys are ripping into me.
Speaker 3: You know they've used it, and you know they've been here where I left it.
Speaker 1: In too long, you'll be there.
Speaker 4: I'm not dying my hair?
Speaker 1: What what?
Speaker 4: What? What about? For who?
Speaker 1: I'm hip? I'm happy, I'm married.
Speaker 4: I've got somebody lost over with me.
Speaker 1: It's done.
Speaker 4: I'm done. Do you we got two kids? You a mortgage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you'll be there.
Speaker 1: Well, the only thing that goes in my hair is gel.
Speaker 4: You have gray hair. I don't have gray hair.
Speaker 1: I'm looking.
Speaker 3: Have you seen the back of the side of your head?
Speaker 4: Take your heads off side a side shot?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Head? Hey. Anyways, Hey, you gotta eat more catalog.
Speaker 1: But hey, listen, fruits, vegetables, water, The fountain of youth is upon you.
Speaker 4: You were giving me a big lecture about fasting the other day.
Speaker 1: You gotta fast. Intermitte, No stress, lots of sleep gets stress jam before the show. I'm going to I'm going to Trevor Linda's Jym today.
Speaker 3: Who's the most stressed before the show in this room?
Speaker 1: Probably Anderson Chat Derek Derek. Derek is the most soccer jersey. Derek works the hardest.
Speaker 4: That's a good point.
Speaker 1: So there's that. Okay, do we got time for this?
Speaker 3: We will be got two guests in the eleven block.
Speaker 1: Let's do it now. Let's do it, Marcus Patterson, Let's do it quickly. Are you going to show it or you want to just talk?
Speaker 4: No, you just talk.
Speaker 1: There's a reporter in San Jose that said on a podcast that Marcus Peterson is willing to be traded. Reporter's name, shengping Uh. I think why he's say San Jose's looking for defenseman. So I think this is why they were talking about heronic. There's a rumor going around at the combine in Buffalo that Patterson wanted out Marcus not elious, not eleven point We're not talking about eleven point six er guy wish. So I contacted Marcus Patterson's agent, Peter Walling this morning. He said it's one thousand percent wrong. Wallin says Peterson loves it a Vancouver. He's thrilled to see what the new management who's going to bring and lead them to. He spoke to Marcus Patterson last week and Marcus Patterson told his agent, I am one thousand percent looking forward to next season. This season coming.
Speaker 3: Up five years left at five point five.
Speaker 1: He's not going anywhere. He doesn't want to go anywhere. The Canucks don't want to get rid of him.
Speaker 3: Tomorrow, Trey and he's got, Yeah, Marcus Patterson back to Pittsburgh for a case of just for men.
Speaker 4: Just dippity do jail. Case of dippity do jail.
Speaker 3: That's that's that's jail.
Speaker 1: Real cream was like jel real cream was great.
Speaker 3: It wasn't used for hair dye.
Speaker 1: Can I say, got your hair hard though, doney? It made it work. It got your hair, Dolliwall didn't hair hard. That's it, So it goes back.
Speaker 4: It's hard, dolliwell did this rant recently and I think I ripped into him. But yesterday I had to buy a thing of Jela. The cost of jail cost. The hell is in jail?
Speaker 1: Hey, you're right, what's in jail? Everything? Though, I know it's everything. What about toothpaste yesterday? Coldgate five bucks? What the hell's going on?
Speaker 4: Mouthwashed ten bucks?
Speaker 1: Don't use that in your hair? Cold Gate scope scope? A bottle of scope is ridiculous.
Speaker 3: I just wait for you. Well, churs, You guys don't have the advantage of being sixty five or older.
Speaker 4: Do you go to shoppers on Thursdays?
Speaker 1: I'm getting there.
Speaker 3: I I did and will certainly you go there on a Thursday though.
Speaker 4: It is a zoom.
Speaker 1: You have to. You have to have some time in your hands.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, I think they know what they're doing.
Speaker 1: Where are we here? Business? Yeah?
Speaker 3: June twenty third, Title sponsor Able Auctions will sell the contents of a closed communications contractor, thirty trucks.
Speaker 1: And is his hugging in Canada.
Speaker 3: Thirty trucks and vans including bucket trucks, bucket vans, service vans and others. Plus over one hundred commercial grade ladders and wire inventory. I'll tell you what those ladders. Those people will scoop those up. Those are expensive.
Speaker 1: Oh they are big time. Yeah, right up there with.
Speaker 3: Gel Everything from bucket trucks to ladder is sold to the highest bidder.
Speaker 1: June twenty third.
Speaker 3: For information on this communication contractor closure auction, go to able Auctions dot CA to get your business assets sold at auction. Email sales at able Auctions dot caa b l E Auctions dot C a Craig button top of the hour, maths preston around.
Speaker 1: Eleven to fifteen or so.
Speaker 3: Up next big ride, Donnie. Tell the team on check. Remember that dead for the leaf blower in the garage, still hoping it'll come.
Speaker 1: Back to life. OPEICE is BC's recycling program for battery powered and electric outdoor power equipment.
Speaker 3: Just like other electronics, electric lawn and garden equipment can also be recycled when it reaches the end of its useful life.
Speaker 1: All electric yard duols don't have to end up in the landfill. If you're an electric outdoor power equipment can't be fixed, it could be recycled.
Speaker 3: Whether it's a leaf blower, trimmer, or lawnmower. Many can be recycled for free in BC. Visit opeic dot Ca to find a depot near you and recycle responsibly.
Speaker 1: That's opeice dot Ca.
Speaker 5: It's a feeling young.
Speaker 8: A lot of it's up here.
Speaker 2: Two years ago, Moisshard said goodbye green hair, Hello Grecian Formula.
Speaker 8: Sixteen plus so easy.
Speaker 5: Remember greashans as.
Speaker 8: Easy to use as water works for any color hair.
Speaker 9: The change was so gradual and looks so no one even notice today.
Speaker 5: I still leave a touch on brief.
Speaker 8: No wife likes it.
Speaker 4: Heyy Shard Two minutes for looking something.
Speaker 8: Look as young as you feel.
Speaker 3: Formulas that line there became a part of Canadian culture big time.
Speaker 1: Two minutes for looking so love it? Good great commercial, Great commercial.
Speaker 4: Could there have been a more bland looking product there? Put this still frame up this bottle like a white bottle over there. It's it's like there's nothing on it, no no yeah, but even no name stuff.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure it did. It did well back then.
Speaker 3: By the way, for people who don't know, Rocket Rashard used to travel with the Montreal Canadians Oldzheimer's all over Canada. He was in Red Dear when I when I was there, it used to officiate the game. So he left the Montreal Canadians. Remember the timers Cornway and Richard against you know the local RCMP and fire fighters combined or broadcasters or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great, and he.
Speaker 3: Used to all used to be the referee. One of the greatest players of all time.
Speaker 4: Imagine that alumni showing up for a game in a small town.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, there was the biggest, biggest, biggest show in town.
Speaker 1: Yeah for years. That would have come in a box, Ryan, That's yeah, okay, but the box would have been much more attract What is talking about. I don't know box. I never used it.
Speaker 4: It probably didn't come in about Rick's.
Speaker 1: Probably probably came in a box that was much better.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 1: If not the marketing people need the marketing people needed to be fired, or did it.
Speaker 3: Stand out because of the simplicity.
Speaker 4: No, it's not catching your eye in any way.
Speaker 1: Well, apparently it caught your eyes.
Speaker 4: Sometimes as simple as best, like I'll give President's Choice credit the yellow no name thing that pops you see those items?
Speaker 3: Ever, Oh everything's yellow, no no, so just be white day from Surrey, Donnie.
Speaker 1: I know how you feel.
Speaker 3: One time was going to have founded reunion put too much just for me. My wife tried to cut all the dark outs. So I went to the reunion as a bald man.
Speaker 1: This is Jay. Sorry, somebody can relate to me. Yes, I go everywhere as a BALDNT.
Speaker 4: Just let it go. I'm with it. Let it do dyeing your hair.
Speaker 1: At this point, I just forget. Why let it stop with the close up there. I can't wait.
Speaker 4: I didn't know. If I had known this, we would have got some dirt from Quinn yesterday. I can't wait for Friday. We're gonna get some information from I'm sure you will. Okay. Some other items happening guys with the national other than.
Speaker 1: Just for men and doc.
Speaker 4: Somebody that's let his hair go naturally gray is John Tortorella. And it was confirmed this morning by the Vegas Golden Knights. He's not coming back. That's it. He's done. He is not going to return for next season. For the twenty six to twenty seventh season, after taking his team to Game six of the Stanley Cup Final, what a blur eight games remaining, he parachutes in Golden Nights. Coach goes to the Cup Final, comes up two wins short of winning the whole thing for the Golden Knights, and now he's going to be back on the sideline, which likely means back to ESPN. He goes, mister media personality himself.
Speaker 1: You have to get a die job, he might, He might. What about teams doing this, like just hire coaches for like eight games?
Speaker 3: Well and then see you later bring in another coach game.
Speaker 4: I saw our pal out of the box, our pal who hasn't had to use hair dye Thomas Durance, He tweeted this morning.
Speaker 1: Does this?
Speaker 4: Does this? Does this open eyes? Because you get the coach bump right? Everybody knows get the coach bump? It happened?
Speaker 3: Did they tie Robins the Devils right?
Speaker 4: And did they time it perfectly with the end of the season and then taking off? I mean, look at Vegas. Did anybody during this season go, yeah, Vegas for sure a Cup final? I don't I don't look at.
Speaker 1: The overall stand right, but were they thirteenth?
Speaker 3: The Flyers were ahead of them very the Ottawa Senators finished.
Speaker 1: They were very mid, very mid. They make bold moves, that's what they do there. Yeah, Kelly mccrimmin is not scared to make bold moves. And look at the clarity one day after two days after boom, hey you're gone. We're bringing in a new I.
Speaker 3: Admire, Okay, I admire a lot of people who can't stand Vegas's success because, first of all, they've only been in the league for nine years. They don't really know pain. Their fan base doesn't know pain. But there's a part of me. A lot of people hate Vegas and the way they go about business. They've been accused of cheating, et cetera. It's somewhat evil in hockey terms. I kind of admire it. Yes, they've had success, I mean three three Stanley Cup final appearances in nine years right off the hop.
Speaker 1: Look at it and look at their first round draft picks. Look how many picks they had in the lineup, one or two. They don't build through the draft. They've built through big signings and big trades. In July first they do it opposite or whatever. They're not afraid of.
Speaker 3: Mistakes, and they made one with Nick Suzuki.
Speaker 4: But look at it, do but look at so in the NFL. Right, the motto of the La Rams, it's kind of a joke, but it's kind of true. Is FM picks. That's what they say, because they always trade their draft picks. They don't draft outside of Ty Simpson. Look what they did. They traded next year draft picks to bring in Miles Garrett out of Cleveland. Right, and the Rams have had a ton of success with that formula.
Speaker 3: So then why do you get all excited when we all get excited about the draft. Well, it's the well, it's the way to go. It's also the way we got to remember how bad.
Speaker 1: The way to go Vegas.
Speaker 4: Vegas started with a jet pack because every team panicked and gave them way too much than what.
Speaker 1: They came up with.
Speaker 3: That forum, Right, we're gonna take this guy, Oh you want to keep this guy, Okay, then give us this guy we won't take.
Speaker 1: It was brilliant.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they nailed a lot of those moves. By the way, Ryan Craig Friedman tweeted, he's the current Henderson Golden Knights coach, Silver Knights coach apologies, the HL team of Vegas. Odds on, he's going to be the guy in Vegas.
Speaker 1: From Amastra coach. Yeah, and Ryan Craig played for Brandon that when Kelly mccrivy was Gego.
Speaker 4: So there's the guys up right there, winds up and meanwhile Bruce cassidy is still just being.
Speaker 1: Told to sit in a corner.
Speaker 3: Well, now the season's over, you'd think there'd be a move there. I know, because Kelly mccrimmin said, we're kind of busy in the playoffs right now.
Speaker 1: The playoffs.
Speaker 4: Oh, but Elliott wrote yesterday on sports Net because he was talking more about the Babcock investigation that as of yesterday there was still no permission granted by Vegas. Well, we'll see this week, we'll see, we'll see quickly. One other thing, a trade to announce the national hockey Maybe this is the start of something. I'm not so sure, but Joseph Wall traded by the Maple Leafs to the Flyers for a package that includes a third round pick in twenty twenty six and also a goaltender swap. But John Chaka said this morning they might not even qualify the goaltender they brought in, so it might essentially be a third rounder for Joseph Wall and he and Daniel.
Speaker 3: Briere really Simone Ben was as well.
Speaker 4: Simone Ben well, Yeah, Daniel brier and Philly today said that they are thinking that Wall and Dan Ladar, who's about to sign a contract extension, will be a tandem duo in Philly. They'll work together. So there you go. And Chaika said, by the way, the Leaf's new head coach within the next few days that at the final stages of that, maybe we'll start to see some trades right the off season. Maybe who knows. There's all that talk about Joe Pavelski, which could.
Speaker 3: Be again copycat league, and there's there's a lot of people out there who believe Pavelski given his lack of experience, but the respect he has around the league. He's coaching minor hockey the next Martine San Luis.
Speaker 4: Okay, but what about Rob Brendemar. What was his experience?
Speaker 1: He was an assistant for a long time.
Speaker 4: He was, so I guess he's okay seeing that we came off the absolute streets. He was his kids coach. It didn't work out, but we talked about it earlier.
Speaker 3: Can we please get Rod Brenda Moore in the from Campbell River in the Hockey Hall of Fame. Oh like what absolutely a must look at his look at his playing career.
Speaker 4: Yeah, even before this. Now he's got a second ring as a coach, which is what one of six guys or something that over a.
Speaker 1: Thousand points thousand games? Like what are they waiting?
Speaker 4: I don't get it?
Speaker 1: What they wait? Now he's got a coup fifteen games exactly.
Speaker 4: And he's an incredible shape, so that should add for something as well. That video on the video you saw it of him in the dressing room taking a shirt off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think he uses just for me.
Speaker 4: Yeah sure. Craig Button Dnsen's director of scouting. Coming up next, Matthews, Preston and Nhel draft prospect from the Vancouver Giants. Around eleven fifteen. It's Donny Dolly the team I check.
Speaker 3: Hey everyone, it's Donnie Dully and we're looking to partner with your company.
Speaker 1: We have several packages and price points to fit your budget and spread the word about your company on the show, in our podcast, and on social media.
Speaker 3: We'd love to get involved with your company called two five oh eight eight oh twenty eight two or email.
Speaker 1: Advertise at Checkmedia dot CA.
Speaker 3: Tuesday and Oliver guests including Craig Button, standing by. I'm brought to you by our title sponsor Able Auctions, Able Auctions dot C A bayside inbox Ausie Goose. I'm great with geography and never in my life heard of Cabo Verde. World Cup's been amazing, So glad you guys are into it now.
Speaker 1: Yes, and that's all of us, including you and Cloud was watching last.
Speaker 3: Night joining us now t S and scouting director Craig Button, Thanks for doing this, sir.
Speaker 1: Are you into the World Cup? Your World Cup fever? Too busy with hockey? Oh?
Speaker 8: I love, I love, I love the World Cup. I love everything about it.
Speaker 9: I'm a Portugal fan and uh, certainly we'll be paying attention to the match on Wednesday. But did you happen to watch the Uruguay Uruguay Saudi Arabia game yesterday?
Speaker 1: A little bit? Yeah? Oh?
Speaker 8: Was it?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 9: I don't know how Uruguay didn't win that game nine to one. I mean they were absolutely phenomenal. Saudi Arabia you know, gets a point out of it. I mean, like just the way they played, the way they maneuver the ball, the movement.
Speaker 8: It was just unbelievable soccer at its finest.
Speaker 9: And I mean for Saudi Arabia to you know, draw that game was was it had to be feel like a win because they were just completely dominated.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then I thought it Ran New Zealand was the best of the four, yes before it draws yesterday. Tremendous entertainment. What's your connection to Portugal, Greg, I'm not Portuguese, Okay, I didn't know that mother's Portuguese.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm a Porto. I'm a Portu goose.
Speaker 3: You learn, you learn something every day. Hey, a tough segue. I'm gonna won't even be a segue. Just move on here. Carolina Hurricanes, any question, they're the NHL's best team.
Speaker 8: No question. They lost three games in the entire playoffs.
Speaker 9: They I mean, that's not even enough to lose a series, let alone.
Speaker 8: Like you think about what they did, the.
Speaker 9: Penalty killing, the balance, scoring, the death, the way they play and you know, down to one against Vegas and they just raised the level of their game and certainly Vegas up for nots in Game three, They ultimately won that game, but I think that that was a real turning point for Carolina to come back in the third period because that showed them, hey, if we push it up a notch, can Vegas play with us in Vegas.
Speaker 8: I don't think Vegas dropped, but they couldn't raise their level any higher and Carolina took full advantage.
Speaker 1: Okay, so everybody has asked this question.
Speaker 3: I'm not an original guy, so I will as well. It's a copycat league. Sports is like that all over the place these days. What can the rest of the NHL. What can the rest of hockey learn from the Carolina Hurricanes.
Speaker 8: I think there's two things, Donnie.
Speaker 9: Number one, you better be patient and continue to work away at things you believe in. I think the Carolina Hurricanes are a great example of that. You know, this overnight success has been eight years in the making, and they've had their disappointments, they've had their failures, and you look at how they lost. They lost the Floorida, they lost the Tampa Bay. You know, they look in at that picture and they go, Okay, what do they have that we need? And they and they kept working at it. They kept believing in what they were doing. And then the second thing is if you think you're gonna win the Stanley cupp Er, even contend for a Stanley Cup without depths, and I'm talking about four lines and I'm talking about six defensemen, and even now we may have to look at it in terms of depths in your net. You better be ready to do that because I don't care what team you are. There's not one way to win. There's not one formula. But there are main ingredients that are necessary for any team to contend, and that is having that death. I mean the Carolina Hurricanes had four lines, well, the Florida Panthers had four lines, Carolina Hurricanes six defense, well, the Florida Panthers had six defense. Goaltending becomes really important. And I mentioned the tandem part. Those things are never changing. And you can look at different ways, whether you want to be big and strong, whether you have.
Speaker 8: A little more skill, where you have a little bit more speed. But if you don't have deaths, you ain't coming close to contending. You might move along the path.
Speaker 9: And Rod Brindamore said it. Rod Brindamore said, we were a lot deeper. We had we had editors our team that were a lot stronger. We stayed with it, and I think that's a big part of this too. I mean, there's too much knee jerk reaction in sports and Caroline and Hurricanes. If you want to be copycats, if you believe in what you have, you don't understand that there is a process. Let me let me share something with you that Tom Dunton told me many years ago, the owner.
Speaker 8: He said, we have four goals. Our number one goal.
Speaker 9: Is to be a really good regular season team, to give our fans a real significant value for their dollars spent, to make the place exciting. And we want to be a good regular season team. He goes, that's where our revenue will come from. That's when the support from the community and our sponsors will come from. That's eighty two games, about to be eighty four next year. He said, that's our number one goal. A number two goal is to try to advance to the conference final. He said that means that we've been a good team and we get to the to the conference final. Number three, get to the Stanley Cup Final. He said, that's significant. You know everybody talks about, you know, competing for the Stanley Cup. That's number number four, he said, winning the Stanley Cup, and that becomes obviously the cherry on top. Everybody dreams of winning the Stanley Cup. Understand that he never said winning the Stanley Cup is their number one goal, because if you want to put the Stanley Cupp as.
Speaker 8: Your number one goal, you're missing steps.
Speaker 9: And there's a lot of teams in this league, and I'll pick on the Edmonton Runners here.
Speaker 8: They've missed the boat.
Speaker 9: They've missed the boat from having a Stanley Cup contending team in twenty twenty four to now being a non contender.
Speaker 8: And it looks like a dumpster fire up in Edmonton right now.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Edmonton, what's going on with you? Do you think now Vegas will finally say they're done? Craig? Should they finally say go ahead? Bruce Cassidy talk to.
Speaker 8: Them on July fifteenth?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 10: What look, Bruce Cassidy's been pretty There's so much stuff that the Vegas gold Knights are probably about trades, free agency, players you like, players you don't like.
Speaker 9: So if I was in Vegas, he has all that information. There's a non compete in his contract that he was a signatory two so on July fifteenth. We'll give your permission after we get our other business done. And remember they're a division rival, so I'm not helping their division rival. I'll get Bruce the opportunity on July fifteenth.
Speaker 1: A right good point. John Tortorella told today he's not going to be back. Were you surprised at that or what were your feelings when you heard.
Speaker 8: Yes and no? Surprised?
Speaker 5: Rick?
Speaker 9: I thought, I know Ryan Craig is a really promising young coach, and he's coached and Henderson as a head coach now for three years, and I think that they have designs on him coming in and being part.
Speaker 8: Of their coaching group.
Speaker 9: I made a suggestion just off cuff the other day that maybe having Ryan come in be an associate coach for a year with John Tortorella as the head coach might be a nice kind of transition for him. But I think that and I'm not saying Ryan Craig will get the job, but it felt to me when I heard the news that John was hired to come in and get this team to better capable to play into its abilities. He did that to win Shy of the Stanley Cup, and they didn't they didn't feel that going forward was the best move with John Tortorella, short term coach come in, did a great job.
Speaker 1: Move on Matthis Preston. He's going to be of the Vancouver Giants.
Speaker 3: Matthis Preston is going to be a guest on our show today and the next segment. As a matter of fact, Craig, you have him at number forty four on your latest year.
Speaker 8: He's higher now the final one coming out. Okay, neither one coming out, he's higher than that. You'll find out.
Speaker 3: Well, that plays into what I'm going to ask you. Can he move into the first round?
Speaker 8: Yeah, oh, absolutely he can. You know, Mathis has.
Speaker 9: A lot of talent and a lot of skill, and I think that there's a lot of parts of his game that are still developing.
Speaker 8: Including is he a winger? Is he a center?
Speaker 9: You know last year in Spokane he played behind Berkeley Catton as a young player, and you know, Berkeley can can ease the burden on any young player. And I know at times, and I may have told you this about Ryan Lynn.
Speaker 8: If I haven't, I'll carry forth with it.
Speaker 9: Young players come in and there they've been so good at what they've done previously, and and and mathis has that state and ability, that high end offensive skill. All of a sudden, he's the go to guy. All of a sudden, things maybe are not. You know, you're confronted with adversity. Let's face it, there's adversity there for him, and there's nothing wrong with that. But at the same time, when you you start to try to find where.
Speaker 8: Your best fit is.
Speaker 9: He's played right winging with hockey cannon, he can play center, so I think he's still trying to figure that out.
Speaker 8: But like Ryan Lynn.
Speaker 9: When you ask the player to do what he's done best, and I get a little bit harder marking on these players, I do. I'm being straightforward, and it happened to me with Ryan Lynn. I started to look at all his defensive play. Then I realized he's a good defensive player. In Vancouver, he was asked to generate offense and he did that really, really well. And I think that part of the development process is players getting comfortable understanding that their game has a lot more than maybe just what you're seeing in one aspect. And I certainly acknowledge that with Ryan Linn. I acknowledge the same thing with Matthis Preston. His skill level is too good to not consider him as a player, and right now he's one of those players drafted. If he drafted later in the first round, somewhere in there, you might be looking back in three years time and go, how did they get him at that point in the draft, And that that's part of other players getting better, showing a little bit more, maybe people being a little bit harder in terms of their marquee. But Mathis has NHL abilities.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll try this, or brigato it's what do you mean? Or which? Thank you?
Speaker 3: It's thank you in Portuguese?
Speaker 8: Oh kill us?
Speaker 9: Sorry, I am you know what you're You're on the cape are day and everything.
Speaker 8: I didn't know where you're going. You're welcome. Have they ever had have they ever had past path? Have they ever had a Pastel Danada?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 9: No, No, other Portuguese custards for Portuguese custards, Pastel Danada if you ever can find them.
Speaker 8: They're unbelievable. Thank you, you're like me.
Speaker 1: You're like me.
Speaker 3: My mother was Ukrainian and the only Ukrainian words I know are the food, right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Greg.
Speaker 9: They never they never spoke Portuguese to me so, you know, but thank you, Donnie, thank you Rick.
Speaker 3: All right, you learned something every day thanks to this Craig next week.
Speaker 8: Thanks, I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: You're What he said about mathis Preston. He Adam at forty four in his latest cranks list, at least the one that was published on the TSN dot CA. He's got him up higher. So what does that mean? Canucks picked twenty fourth? They picked thirty third?
Speaker 1: Maybe also complete center and wing. Do the Canucks turn him into a centerment? Yeah?
Speaker 3: He's next to Math's Preston. Next on our show, it's Donny do the team.
Speaker 6: I check Donnie and Dolly. The team is supported by Abelauctions dot CA. Closing your Business we can help.
Speaker 3: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business assets.
Speaker 1: Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 3: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold, Please email sales at able auctions dot Ca.
Speaker 1: That's sales at ab l E Auctions dot ca.
Speaker 3: Okay, I feel bad about hitting hitting Craig button with some Portuguese. He didn't have a clue what I was saying, there, Ryan, you have to text Craig and apologize for me.
Speaker 1: Is there a chance you screwed it up?
Speaker 4: That's a possibility I've had that might even why He was like, what.
Speaker 3: The hell is this guy saying I've had a bad couple of days.
Speaker 1: That just for men, is it?
Speaker 3: And now this matthis Presston is going to join US now. Vancouver Giants center forty four points in forty six games split between the Giants and Spokane Chiefs last year. He's seventeen years old, expected to go possibly first round at the NHL Draft on June twenty sixth, and Mathis joins US now.
Speaker 1: Mathis, thanks for doing this, sir. How are you?
Speaker 11: I'm good?
Speaker 12: How are you?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 11: Thank you guys for having me.
Speaker 1: Very good.
Speaker 3: I gotta I gotta tell you you grew up in penticked In and Rick and I both minor hockey parents. I loved going up there for for tournaments. It is a hockey crazy town. What was it like growing up in the beautiful city of Penticton?
Speaker 1: What did it do for you.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean it was.
Speaker 1: It was amazing.
Speaker 13: Obviously obviously the weather's pretty good there. You got a good setup, you got the three rinks there, which is is pretty good.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 13: It was so much fun growing up there playing my minor hockey and then through Bantamin Midget.
Speaker 11: I met a lot of buddies there.
Speaker 13: Didn't necessarily live in Pentick, didn't, but you know, close friends and people that you know, I'll be friends with for for the rest of my life. So yeah, it was lots of fun there and definitely thankful that it was. It was pretty local, only five minutes five minutes away from my house, so it's pretty convenient.
Speaker 12: So all it was good.
Speaker 3: Okay, So Liam and Marcus Ruck also expected to go high.
Speaker 1: At the draft. They're from Soyers.
Speaker 3: Tell us how how you know them?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 13: We uh, I think we probably played together since we were like seven years old. We started playing like spring hockey together when we were really young, and then through like the Brick Tournament when when we were at ten, that one in in the West Edmonton Hall there, and then all throughout like and yeah, we've we've been best friends forever and you know, during season when we were they played for Souse. It was it was kind of the rival Pententiicton versus soy Use. But yeah, when they came to it was there was lots of fun playing with them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, unreal that the three of you will be going in this draft. Hey, you finished top ten in seven different physical I think I've got this right in seven different physical test category. At the combine and looking at your bio, it says you took part in multiple sports, including triathlons. Did that training come into play when you're you're in Buffalo.
Speaker 11: I don't know.
Speaker 13: I don't know about the training for that because I was really young, but I think just all the work I do in the gym in the summer and stuff. But I think the triathlon definitely helps kind of in the in the mindset aspect of it. You know, on the bike swimming you're kind of in your own thoughts, So I think that definitely helps for stuff like the v O two and the wind gates.
Speaker 1: So yeah, hey, matthis what makes you so attractive to NHL scouts. The speed is there, the size, everything, But tell us what's the best parts of your game?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 11: I think I think I think the game in a unique way.
Speaker 13: I think I'm a dynamic skater, and I think that I think the game at a pretty elite level. I think I see see plays developed early and I kind of know where where I'm gonna put the pok before I get it. Yeah, I think, just like my skating separates me, I like to push guys back, thinking them good on my edges. So I think that's probably the main two things that separate me apart from other people.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you get traded into the Vancouver Giants draft here and then a really unfortunate injury and wnacchi Uh boy, that must have been tough too much out in your draft year mathis, Yeah.
Speaker 8: That was.
Speaker 11: That was definitely tough.
Speaker 13: You know, anytime I have such a passion for the games that any any time out for you know, that long period of time, it was. It was super difficult for me, especially just getting there. You know, you want to play with the guys, be in the dressing room with them and stuff like that, and you're just in the rehab center for eight weeks straight.
Speaker 11: Now, that was definitely But.
Speaker 13: You know, I wasn't happy that Ryan got hurt at the same time, but he happened to get hurt the other day after me. So we we definitely lean on each other through that time and we grew really close together off the ice, and yeah, I was.
Speaker 11: I was definitely thankful for him in that time.
Speaker 13: But yeah, it was definitely difficult, you know, in this year, not being able to play and showcase yourself was challenging for sure.
Speaker 1: All Right, you met with the Vancouver Connection to Combine and Buffalo. How did that go? Did they grill you good?
Speaker 4: What? What?
Speaker 1: What went on in that room?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 11: It was it was good, I thought, Yeah, it was. It was good.
Speaker 13: It's kind of crazy, like you grew up watching that team as a BC kid and now you're you're having meetings with them.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 11: It was pretty surreal.
Speaker 5: They were.
Speaker 11: They were really good with me. You know, they seem pretty interested.
Speaker 5: Which is good.
Speaker 13: I think, you know, they like my game and you know, I think I can definitely help help the team like that offensively.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it was.
Speaker 11: It was really good and I enjoyed that meeting for sure.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: Center, we just had a quick button on and he says, you can play center and wing. What do you prefer matthis?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I can play center and wing.
Speaker 13: I to be honest, I don't really prefer anything. I think wherever, whoever the coach needs me, wherever fits best.
Speaker 11: I recently, when I got to Vancouver, I switched.
Speaker 13: To left wing, and uh, I felt I could get middle ice more, cut to the middle more. You know, I got hurt cut into the little But on the other side, cutting to the middle is easier because it's just all if it's on your forehand, delaying everything's on your forehand. So yeah, I switched to the left wing, which I thought helped me a lot, But I really enjoyed playing center, distributing to the middle of the ice. Sol Yeah, it doesn't, it doesn't really matter to me.
Speaker 3: Back to the Canucks. You're from the Okanagan. Was that your team growing up? And was there a player you looked up to?
Speaker 13: Yeah, I definitely was a Canucks fan. When I was little, I was a fan of Brockbassar. But then when I was I don't know, when I was like eleven or twelve, I was a big Oilers fan. Me and my brother were an Oilers Oilers fans, and I think just watching you know, dry Sidle McDavid, it was just so fun to watch, and even Newton Hawkins, I was a big fan of growing up, so me and my brother were Oilers fans, but I think deep down we're always Canucks fans at heart.
Speaker 3: Okay, I was just gonna end that in the interview halfway through what you just said there, Oilers fan.
Speaker 4: Can't you know?
Speaker 3: We can't have you on too long here, Mathis.
Speaker 1: But totally understood, Hey, best of it.
Speaker 3: I can't imagine how excited you are going into June twenty sixth. All the best, my friend. A lot of people pulling for you around here, and we're gonna see possibly see you next year with the Giants.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I would expect.
Speaker 13: So yeah, I I really want to win in the Western League, super bad. I lost in the finals when I was sixteen and still pretty bitter about it. So yeah, I really want to want to go on a run with this group, and I definitely believe in the foundation we have there right now.
Speaker 3: Okay, it could be so many people we have on going into this draft that make commitments to the ncublea from the WHL. But good to hear you're gonna sounds like you're gonna stick around with Ron Toygos Giants. Thanks so much, Mathis and all the best June twenty sixth and beyond awesome.
Speaker 11: Yeah, thank you guys very much for having me appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Matthis Preston of the Vancouver Giants forty four points in forty six games. By the way, no NCAA commitment. Looks like he's gonna stick around with Giants Western Hockey.
Speaker 1: Every kid we've had on in this draft, Beerhoff. Yeah, great kids, great families. You could see that he was brought up properly and were great parents. You could see it the way he talks and the way he thanks people. We're lucky to interview kids like that. You've got some business. Absolutely, look at this. The world has come to Vancouver and Pastime Sports and Games says you cover. When it comes to jerseys, scarves and other collectible celebrating in the beautiful game, there's never been a bigger time to show off your team colors led by Canada as the host country. You may also want to honor your favorites in Europe, South America, Asia or Africa. Uh For more information and store locations, visit past Time Sports Dots.
Speaker 4: A laptop front of the laptop, Panini America World Cup stickers far right. Those bag clips in the middle these mini miniature Canada soccer players and they're collectible clips. You can clip them onto your backpack perse whatever it is. And on the left, on the left, there you've got He's in action tonight, Erling Holland from Man City Funko Popping. He's doing his celebration. You know, he's sad and then he kind of like does like the zen like okay, yeah, yeah, there like that. Yeah, so they go, that's what the Funko Pop is of him. Right, I'm hip, I know you are.
Speaker 3: I'm still recovering from the Craig button it.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 4: Also, there's a lot of arrows flying about the dye job. There's a lot of arrows flying.
Speaker 1: It's bad.
Speaker 3: And you know what the worst part is when you do it too dark. This has happened to me before. And you guys will be there one.
Speaker 1: Day, not going there. I'm not putting stuff where.
Speaker 3: We'll see eventually it turns red, so you can look for it.
Speaker 1: You can look forward to that, folks.
Speaker 3: I'm not the only one who's had this happen to dtmz Nex Donny Dolly the team lunch.
Speaker 1: Jack looking for one of Victoria's most iconic stays. The award winning Waddling Dog has been welcoming guests and their dogs for over thirty years. Ten minutes from the airport in the ferry. Their room, Glenn vented charm with modern comfort, making it the perfect home base for your island adventures. Your trip isn't complete without a stop at the legendary Waddling Dog. Pop twenty taps, Wall the Wall, TVs every Canucks game and UFC pay per view, plus an extensive daily happy hour, and before you go, stock up at their cold beer wine store, hundreds of local and imported options, class exclusive Donnie and Dolly merchandise. The Dog isn't just a hotel, It's a destination. Come Sentence Day, It's eleven thirty two on a Tuesday morning, it is Donnie Dolly on check TV. No time for DTMZ. Brought to you by the world famous Westerner Golf Club. Go see Bigel out there A great track, Great Track.
Speaker 3: DTMZ brought to you by the Arnold Palmer Design was the golf club where Phase three of their golf course renovation underway. The golf course will reopen for play in the summer of twenty twenty seven for the latest updates and the rental fall of them on Instagram at Whistle Golf and don't forget their pro shop and driving range are open this summer.
Speaker 1: By the way.
Speaker 3: In the renovation, new greens being built Rick oh, heute irrigation starting to fire up, and they are preparing for sodding Oh.
Speaker 1: You love it. Look at the views.
Speaker 3: Nothing better love to prepare for sod Celo Green.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was on that show, the music show. Yeah, sitting in the chair pushing the bus. That's right. Well, the voice, the voice, yeah, the voice, that's right.
Speaker 3: He's going to be among the headliners in Victoria for the forty Townniversary David Foster and Frans Concert. The free show and support of the David Foster Foundation will take place August eighth at Victoria's Inner Harbor. And the reason we are telling people this our bosses are located in Victoria, Beautiful Victoria, along with Celo. Seriously, we want to talk about it because it's a it's a worthwhile cause, needless to say. Along with Celo, guests include Josh Grobin, the tenor is, Daniel Emmett, Lauren Alred, Eric Bergan, and Melissa Peterman.
Speaker 1: No relation to Jay. More.
Speaker 3: Performers will be announced closer to the concert date, which will follow a black tie gala August seventh at the Victoria Conference Center. That David Foster Foundation offers support to families with children in need of life saving Oregon transplants.
Speaker 1: Like I said, worthwhile cause.
Speaker 3: David Foster from Victoria Ricky's won sixteen Grammys, an Emmy Award, and a Golden Globe Award. He's also been nominated for three Oscars. His first David Foster Gallop, by the Way, took place way back in nineteen eighty six.
Speaker 1: Gretzky was there.
Speaker 3: Oh, Rob Lowe was there, Gord Lightfoot, Robbie John Great Actor, August eighth, Victoria's Inner Harbor.
Speaker 1: There you go. Birthdays, Yeah, we got birthdays. Ryan, get the music going. The sponsor, who's a sponsor? What are we doing here? Donnie Dalli's Backscratchers Dental Floss Emporium in bald zach al burn Up. This guy was a Canucks fifth round pick in two thousand and one. Played Junior A in Ontario before going NCAA. Drafted by Don Cherry and the Mississauga East Dogs in the seventeenth round of the nineteen ninety eight Ontario Hockey League draft. US said, no, I'm going college. Played for Camp at the twenty fourteen World Championships, his team captain naymore in college. Huh? Where do you go to college and c double a bowling something?
Speaker 4: Bowling green hen BX see that.
Speaker 1: That's why I didn't say the college, because I knew you were gonna get it. And we talked about him beating up federal federal off and brought it Feder's birthday recently. I know I did Federal federalf, I did the birthday. But listen, the X was a captain win. He was the captain of the two thy fourteen World Hockey Championships. Yeah, he was the captain juniors. Yeah, no, World Championships captain.
Speaker 4: Wow, I don't remember that at all.
Speaker 1: Juice and non hockey Night in Canada, now, yep, those are your other clues. Not that the other clues were Willie. He played with Willie Mitchell in a shutdown role first game for the Canucks against the Kings.
Speaker 4: How about twenty eleven?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Do you want me to say the best clues early? So you got it right away? But did you have that you Harris. I had it get off with Kevin Bixit. Let's move on. Okay, this is a guy you stay out of and this is for him for who you did. He play junior hockey in his hometown, the Niagara Falls Flyers of the Ontario Hockey Association, turned pro. Signed with the Boston Bruins in nineteen sixty five. Sixty seven wins the Calder Trophy Rookie of the Year. He and Eddie Westfall, Eric Sanders ah see again get back.
Speaker 4: To back rookies.
Speaker 3: Calders, Bobby or and Derek Sanderson.
Speaker 1: Him and Eddie Westfall. I remember Eddie Westfall. Great penalty killers, both of them. Derek Sanderson, former Canuck, traded to the Canucks, but he was released because of a vice incidents.
Speaker 3: There's a few of the There was a a few alumni members who asked some Derek Sanderson stories.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can't tell. There were some bar fights and other stuff. But Derek, it was the seventies. It was the seventies and they had fun off the ice. Great mustache, Tom Selick like mustache. Derek Sanderson. Show a picture of him. He was really nice. Okay, here we go. You got the picture of Benning up earlier. So you got Jim Benning up, but you can't get Derek Sanderson up. Good stash, Oh what a stash. One of the best stashes in the Cittates coloradalyst. Oh, just one look at this. Derek Sanderson Rookie of the Year in the NHL nineteen sixty seven. Played with the Bruins, start at sixty five and then he got He got to Vancouver. Didn't last very long.
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 1: This guy wins Saint Louis Ryan, get this down here.
Speaker 3: He signed a contract with the Philadelphiladelphia the only played home games.
Speaker 1: Now, that's a outstanding five years two point sixty five million, made him the highest paid pro athlete in the world at the time. Barnet born in Capel Verde. Yeah, carper Verde, the country no one's heard of. Okay, listen, let's go here. This guy was on Saturday Night Live in the nineteen eighties. Nineteen seventy eight, he made the television debut and Who's Watching the Kids. He was also in Bryant Paul Brian de Palma's movie The Fury. Oh, that was a good flick. He appeared in the film Trading Places as a drunk man in a gorilla suit during New Year's E Party nineteen ninety one. He appeared in mc Hammer's music video Too Legit to Quit as a newscaster. He was in movies in Spaceballs. You remember Spaceballs? Was he in SNL cast member? Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, My cousin Vinnie. He was asked to go in My Cousin Vinnie as Spaceballs. He refused. He regretted later he was He wasn't in My Cousin Vinnie. They asked him to go ahead, and he rejected it. He said no. He performed frequently as zz Blues alongside Dad Ackroyd, John Balishi. No. No. He was in the movie Dog Movie K nine. He was in Jingle All the Way with Arnold Schwarzenegger Jumping Jack Flash, Jumping Jack.
Speaker 4: I've seen Jingle all the Way Jumping Jack Oil Hartman, Eh, Phil Hartman, Nah you guys.
Speaker 1: Jumping Jack Flash with Whoope Gold. He's the younger brother of iconic Lake comedian John Belushi. Jim Belush, Thank you, thank you have shame both of you. Okay, last last one, last one. This actor portrayed Mark Cohen in the nineteen ninety seven touring company of the rock musical Rent. Remember Rent. It was a great musical. I remember Rent. It was ninety seven. I remember in two thousand and three. He remember paying Rent. He was the MC in Cabaret. Gray h Joel Gray. That's not Joel Gray. He holds the movie Cabaret. No, he took the role of the MC and Cabaret. He hosted the sixty first Primetime Emmy Awards in two thousand and nine. Appeared in the twenty ten Times one hundred list of influential People. He was in the movie The Smurfs twenty eleven, twenty thirteen, The Smurfs two. Wow, I got a what do you want? I kept makeup clues. I gotta give you a clues. He turned down the last He turned down the check, actually turning down to the thing. Hey, David Letterman's retiring. They asked him to replace Himid Letterman. He said no, No. He was in the movie Gone Girl, in the movie American Pie Reunion. Oh great Flake, American Pie. That the whole thing was great. Hurt the pie. Gone Girl was Gone Girl with Bruce ben Affleck Ben. He's a terrible show. I know people love it. I thought it was awful. You gotta get it now because I'm done. He was Doogie Howser m D and Neil Patrick Harris. Yeah, and with the.
Speaker 4: Barney and How I Met your mother as well.
Speaker 3: There's no way they asked him to replace letter.
Speaker 4: Lesson to me.
Speaker 1: I did my research.
Speaker 4: I could kind of see it. I could kind of see it.
Speaker 3: Loves Vancouver, Yeah, yeah, it's pretty talented dude.
Speaker 1: Yes. And he was in Harold and Kumar's Adventures whatever that was. He was great in that. There was the scene in Texas he got us today, I got you. I got to see. I put time into these a ton of time.
Speaker 3: It's about time. Is it just me coming up? General Vanelli seventy four years old? Rick, Well, you're excited about that. He's got to play us. So the year eighty four and the album of the same name. Oh, this is Jino Venelli and Black Cars on check. It looks better in the shade on a PC Tuesday morning?
Speaker 4: Is it just me?
Speaker 1: Ness?
Speaker 11: Crossble Science.
Speaker 12: The BC Construction Safety Alliance is a not for profit association that makes safety simpler by providing health and safety services and programs to more than fifty seven thousand construction employers. And two hundred and twenty thousand workers across the province. We want to bring the BCCSA safety message directly to your job site. Book a free visit from the BCCSA Safety on Tour Mobile Trailer Safety on Tours instructor guides your workers through a series of dynamic safety demonstrations, from the activeness of fall arrest systems to the power of proper head protection. At now to book a memorable Safety on Tour experience at Safety Ontour dot Ca.
Speaker 3: Remember that dead electric leaf blower in the garage, still hoping it'll come back to life.
Speaker 1: OPEIC is BC's recycling program for battery powered and electric outdoor power equipment.
Speaker 3: Just like other electronics, electric lawn and garden equipment can also be recycled when it reaches the end of its useful life.
Speaker 1: All electric yard tools don't have to end up in the landfill. If you're an electric outdoor power equipment capy fixed, it can be recycled.
Speaker 3: Whether it's a leaf blower, trimmer, or lawnmower. Many can be recycled for free in BC. Visit OPEIC dot Ca to find a depot near you and recycle responsibly.
Speaker 1: That's ope IC dot ca. Is it just me?
Speaker 3: Brought to you by our friends at op EIC Outdoor Power Equipment Institute of Canada. Did you know you can recycle electric lawn and guarded equipment for free. O p e i C operates a province wide network of recycling depots to ensure old electric outdoor power equipment gets collected and recycled responsibly. Visit o p e C dot Ca to get more info.
Speaker 1: That's oh p e I see dot ca? Is it just me? Rick? Typical sports and now showing all Calder Cup games when their precious Marley's are in it in the final, when our beloved Abbey Canucks made the final low national cover Jeff and Absbord nails it. Their typical Toronto crap. Absberg's in the calder Cup nothing zero, ziltch nothing, now their Marley's in it. And I guarantee you it's going to come down to the dollar. They'll be able to sell that in Ontario as opposed to selling that in Absbord.
Speaker 3: I think it comes down to indifference for the rest of Canada outside of Toronto. Yeah, That's what it comes down to. And if I think maybe the you know, when we complain about how this is this has to do with our business, how people in Toronto don't care about the rest of the country when they're supposed to be national networks. This might be the best example. Remember this is its me from Jeeves in Surrey. But for the amount of hair don has left, he might be better off using a felt pen.
Speaker 1: Yes, Jeeves, I'm Surrey. I thought about that. I want to see jeeves hair. Yeah, everything goes white at the end of the day, the hair not according to No, I'm more guy. I do stuff. I do research on that. I'm not gonna do stuff. No fruits, vegetables, water is for your skin and your hair. I'm disgusted. Uh where is this Is that Rob in the West End? Yeah? Right here. I'm disgusted that CBC will have no Hockey Night in Canada. CBC is the channel most people have access to. Not everyone has sportsnet. Robin the West End makes a good point. We talked about Donny. We didn't talk about it enough. CBC was the one free channel and now you want to watch it still is for a lot of exactly, and that's one thing that you know the business we're in.
Speaker 3: Look, I have cable. You have cables. The same with a Ryan. A lot of people don't have access to everything, but they can't afford it.
Speaker 1: And that's something I didn't think of.
Speaker 3: And that's just so bang on, and I'm sure they're going to hear a lot of complaints about it. Eric the Greenskeeper, is it just me? It was good to see a small market team without the low tax advantage hoist the cup. It points out how woeful teams like the least performance has been among other teams. Eric, but I'm not sure the tax situation in Carolina, but it's not as it's it's not as positive for players that might be in Tennessee or Florida or Nevada. We'll look into it.
Speaker 1: It's cheap, it's cheap. You can buy a house with a nice, big yard, but.
Speaker 3: Not the real estate prices.
Speaker 1: The taxes. We're talking about the taxes. Tax Yeah, all right. Good memories of watching the five o'clock games on Saturday night in the eighties with the grandparents. Alan Bester with the Leafs against Marie Goslin of the nord Eaks. Sadage coming to an end, David Seedar, I remember Mike Palmitteer. I was a huge for Alan Bester was small. Mike Palmitteer was small. Dawn.
Speaker 3: You know that I'm not disagreeing with you, Mike Palmitteer.
Speaker 1: I love Mike Palmatteer.
Speaker 3: What I remember about him uh, and it has uh a connection to the Stanley Cup final is Mike Palmitteer was a left handed goaltender, like Brandon Bussy. There weren't many of them. Grant Fear, jille Villemere back in the day, Glenn Hanlin, Norm among others. Norm is it just me? My dad used brill cream and never threw the jars away, and every time we moved they came with us, along with his player Tobacco cans love your show.
Speaker 1: Norm.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna guess Norm is part of our target audience. No, I don't even remember brill cream.
Speaker 1: I do. They came in the little yards the stars. It came in the tube for I remember berl cream, and well, then you must be older than me. Not not not because my dad used it and I used to use a little bit of it. But listen, I'm going brial scoop it up, you scoop it up and down.
Speaker 3: I remember briol cream in a tube and Its competitor was.
Speaker 1: A product called Score. Look it up. I don't remember Score. I remember bill Cream. Now it's said dippity Do before jail, and I used dippity Do now because the other jel's too expensive eight nine ten. It's expensive and you can't take it on the planes. So you gotta get gel where you go. You can't take it on the planes. They don't let it. Let you take it on the plane. Dot it's ridiculous. A good reason for that. I get it, but it screws me up. I have to now. I don't take it then, eh, because sometimes don't have dippity Do.
Speaker 3: So unless you're going to the North Pole. Wherever you're going, we'll probably have Gelka, but not the same type. Anyways, he just went to Toronto.
Speaker 1: I'm sure they had dippy Do there.
Speaker 4: I break.
Speaker 1: We'll wrap up the show.
Speaker 3: The poll question next Donnie Dolly, the team on check, three foot hot dogs, postgame fireworks, Fridday noonters and the future Toronto Blue Jays.
Speaker 1: Right in your backyard.
Speaker 3: Catch a Vancouver Canadians game this summer as they celebrate seventy five years at Nat Bailey Stadium. For tickets, promotions and more, information. Visit Canadians Baseball dot com or call six oh four eight, seven to two, five two, three to two today.
Speaker 1: Dog poll Rick, all right, Ryan get her upper wadling, dog popple question. How much of the World Cup are You're watching? Pretty close here all of it is leading at thirty four percent, but right behind is a little bit, followed by when's the NHL draft? And at the end is just Candadis matches eleven percent. So there you go. Well, a lot of people are checking the World Cup out absolutely fairly.
Speaker 3: Even four matches today, just a tremendous this menu and Boppe and France taking on Senegal with the memories of the infamous for the French, the two thousand and two upset by Senegal of the powerhouse French back that year, back in that World Cup, Iraq versus Norway with Holland and Argentina and Algeria with Messi of course for Argentina, Austria and Jordan rounded things up. But another tremendous day of World Cup of viewing in North America.
Speaker 1: Have you got pictures? We got pictures? Are we going overseas? We are?
Speaker 4: We're going to a place I've been to.
Speaker 1: Oh Wow.
Speaker 4: The old course at Saint Andrews.
Speaker 3: Wow, it's like the only other place you've visited in your life Scotland.
Speaker 1: Other than the Fraser Valley.
Speaker 4: Yeh, pretty much.
Speaker 1: Rich Brown from Victoria on the eighteenth Green at Saint Andrew's Old Golf Course wearing my prize Donnie and Dolly hat the team hat during my recent trip to Scotland. Rich is a retired paramedic well known throughout British Columbia, thirty three years of service. Big fan of the show Rich overseas at Saint Andrews Golf Course. Thank you very much. Look like a million bucks? Rich, Yeah, and we thank him for his service. What else from a where we're going? Over Where we're going now? Right?
Speaker 4: So I don't think we're going overseas for this one. It is overwater, Okay, it's it is overwater. This is an amazing baby photo.
Speaker 1: That we have. Oh oh you got it? No you go?
Speaker 4: Oh okay, hold on, I gotta I gotta get hold on, I got it ready here.
Speaker 1: Hey guys. On a paternity leave for a month and watching the show with my newborn baby girl, Anika, who doesn't seem to like the show. Randy and Komas. We do normal reaction. We do this to a lot of people.
Speaker 4: We do this to a lot of It's not exclusive to newborns.
Speaker 1: Anika, You'll come around. You'll love the show. Don't worry. You're like, you'll be like your dad Randy watching our show every day anymore. That's in for what more?
Speaker 4: You want to do the other?
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's do the other one because we got which Where was Adam the bath guy? What did he buy?
Speaker 4: Or one of our water bottles?
Speaker 1: Got my D and D water bottle keeping me cool while I'm welding on some garbage bins and repping Team Canada the World Cup. Adam the former bath guy at the mast, the whole bit, the welding hat's hat? That what you think that? It's not a hat? What is it a mask? Anyways?
Speaker 3: I know there's a team that is it the Pirates? That's what they Whoever, it's a home run, that's what.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure I think it is.
Speaker 4: I think you're right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Craig and Vander who visited me. I find soccer hard to watch from players are going down like they've been shot without even being touched. No credibility and no respect for the fans and officials. A lot of people feel the same way as Craig. I think it's improved a lot over the years. And one thing I noticed too, the women don't do that. Yeah, maybe it's just me that that I've noticed that, but it is last night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, we gotta get going here on behalf.
Speaker 3: Of Ryan, Derek Rick, everybody here at Oh boy.
Speaker 1: Check, I'm done.
Speaker 3: You have to deal in Bill the Sports.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly Podcast. Be sure to follow us on Twitter at Donnie and Dolly for all the latest show content.