Speaker 1: Are you ready to branch out, to take a leap of faith to love yourself and others fully? Then let go of whatever no longer serves you to take action now on Get Rooted Radio with Erica Gifford Mills, Living it Up, loving it up, and letting it go. Erica will energize and excite you to power up your passionate dream that sets your soul on fire with Erica's E three approach, equipping and powering and enlightening yourself so you can be yourself for yourself. Get ready and get rooted to live a life without regrets, without what ifs, without should have, and especially without empty feelings from a life on exploring this hit show helps you build powerful and the intentional roots to live it up, love it up, and let it go. Get fearlessly ready and powerfully rooted in your yes with your host, Erica Gifford Mills, and be fearless about your more and stand in your yes now on Get Rooted Radio.
Speaker 2: Welcome everyone, I am Erica Gifford Mills, and you are listening to Get Rooted Radio, Living it up, loving it up, letting it go. Right here on Transformation Talk Revolution, I shout out to my producer today, Emily, how are you doing?
Speaker 3: I'm doing so great? How are you doing?
Speaker 2: I am doing wonderful. It's you know, it's my birthday month, August. It's all about Leo celebrations. So how could I not be doing awesome? Right? It's about me? No, But I'm super excited to have our guest on the show today because we're going to talk about being unconquerable. So in today's episode, my guest Marla Ballard, CEO of You Two Shine and Unconjurable Me director, and I will be talking about finding resilience and what it is to be unconquerable from within through deep love, immense gratitude, and seeking true alignment instead of conformity. We will discuss courage, vulnerability, and overcoming oz to continually transform experiences and connect to our true and our power. Marla, thank you so much for being on the show today.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you so much for having me. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Yes, So now during this first segment, we're going to talk about being rooted and responsibility. Now, normally I give a lot of background on you know, give a little bit more about my guest, but I'm want to take some time during this first segment to get to know you, right to get because your background is quite interesting. You grew up on a farm in Kentucky. What did that environment teach you about discipline, resilience, and responsibility?
Speaker 3: Oh amazing. First of all, taking responsibility And here's the background noise, and I apologises. I'm just going to close the door real quickly so it's not interfering with us. Okay, got it, Thank you about that.
Speaker 4: Okay, So growing up on a farm, you know, one of the things I think about working with agriculture and working outdoors is you really have to learn to work with rhythms and cycles that are beyond your control.
Speaker 3: And so there's a lot in that of working with the natural world and realizing that we can we can take responsibility for what we can do. Right. The thing we can always be responsible for is actual actually our response. Right. But there's always going to be outside factors that we have no control over. And so I think that there's something very grounding and to use your term routing, routing into learning how to work with those natural rhythms and having that trust.
Speaker 2: And it is because we can we can't control what happens to us, right, we control how we respond to it. And that is a lot that really goes into leadership. And you stepped into that leadership at a very young age because you were managing operations for a thoroughbred racehorse farm while cleaning college. And I mean, first of all, how wonderful I love horses. I mean, I would have a horse farm if I had the time to do all that, because it is it's a lot of work. So what did that experience teach you about leading when the stakes are hot?
Speaker 3: Well, it was I was in the main office in operations, so I was doing the business management piece of it, and so it really taught me I had to manage my time well, that's for sure. And I had to get creative. I did a lot of things outside. You know, I've never been in the box thinker ever, never.
Speaker 2: Never get along right. This is why we get along, ye and so and so I.
Speaker 3: Function at my best one. I'm outside of the box now. Very very fortunate. I had a boss who want who was okay with that as long as the as long as the metrics got met that he needed, which was basically making sure money was flowing right and that expenses were down. As long as I was meeting the metrics he set for me. He wasn't overly controlling with me about how that got done. And so part of why that works so well is I had a lot of latitude in that position as well, and so I was able to be creative and how I worked, and I was able. I just had to learn the discipline of really being careful with my time and my energy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think that's those are two things that so you mentioned mentioned the working right with nature, right, you can't always control these are at the heart of it, right, wild animals and even if they're domesticated, just like dogs and everything. So when you are with those thoroughbreads, what did they teach you about the energy, the trust, the intuition, human behavior, And how did that get you confident enough to lead maybe even before you were ready.
Speaker 3: Well, you really learn I mean if whatever whatever emotions you're having, they're going to have very quickly, right, And so if you're if you're working with a horse and you're afraid, they're going to be jittery and nervous and dancing around and wanting to get away. Yes, right, And so so that's what you learned. The other thing you learn is that you know, I worked, I worked with some of the best horse handlers in the world. I'm not one of them, but I have worked with some of the best in the world. Right I'm very I'm very amateur at that. I got to work with really amazing horses and show them at sales and everything. But I would never say that I was I was as excellent as some of the people that I've worked with are just extraordinary, right, the most extraordinary handlers. Though even even you know, I'm five to two and one hundred and twenty pounds, so I'm very tiny, right So, but even a guy twice my size, it's still a twelve hundred pound animal. He's not going to muscle it out anymore than I am. So you have so once you once you understand that that difference, you learn that you have. Everything has to be finessed, and it has to come from how calm you are, how smooth you are, how grounded you are, right to create this safe space that you can work with with the horses, and and you just really have to learn that it's all about being able to finesse it and ask and work in partnership rather than trying to force or demand or you know, and people can do that. I mean, certainly, certainly people can beat animals into submission, right, we've seen that. But that's not that's not okay, and that's not the kind of working relationship that you want to have.
Speaker 2: Perspective especially, I mean, they're not going to trust you, just like a human you treat somebody like that, they might comply, but yeah, you're not going to trust you, and you're not going to have the relationship for longevity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's it. And so so it really it really comes down to that, It really comes down to learning again that you're not in control and that you've that you've got to build that mutual trust and safety. Yes, you have to build that mutual trust and safety because you know more and more, I'm beginning to believe that that feeling safe with with anyone is an incredible gift of intimacy and trust. It really is. And and it's whether we create safety quickly in short burst of contact, like safety between you and I right now for this interview and Emily for producing it. Right, there's that's important, but even even in deeper, more meaningful relationships, expanding that safety. But I really feel that that has a lot of the foundation of how easily we can heal and how freely we can feel we can be authentic? Is it comes down a lot that to creating safe space for each other through acceptance and trust.
Speaker 2: And you mentioned foundation, right, What parts of everything that you learned growing up and through your your time in college and through your time in business. What are some of those things that you still do today that you brought forward right for the foundation for your work that you do well.
Speaker 3: One thing I have always done is I don't like either or scenarios. Even even at a young age, when people would tell me I could do this thing or that thing if I wanted to do both, I was always asking, well, I don't understand why can't I have both? Why does it have to be a you know, this or that equation and so and so. That's what I was doing, Like even you know, I went to school to UK to study equine science. That was what my degree was going to be in. I got very, very lucky that I was given lots of opportunities to work with amazing farms and veterinarians and things throughout college. In any downtime that I wasn't in class. That's what I was doing. And because of that, because that was my commitment and the work that I put in and the time that I put in, because of that, I was getting all kinds of amazing opportunities, which is why I got this opportunity eleven hours, eleven credit hours away from finishing my bachelors. And it was an either or scenario because the class that I actually needed from University Kentucky was a ten hour class that had to be taken during the daytime, and I couldn't do that and take the job. So even at that I remember sitting at that crossroads and going, well, here, I'm getting the thing that I went to school to do, and now not finishing school might be the right. It was the Crey thing. And so I actually went to an advisor at another university where I had taken summer classes and asked him his guidance, and he said, you know what he said. What he said, here's what I can do. Transfer your credits here, take the job because this is an amazing opportunity that your classmates would all want and never get. And then write me a letter every week about what you're doing, and I'll give you the last eleven credit hours because I have it in my power to do that if you transfer. So I actually went to the UK and graduated from Western But but that has stayed with me.
Speaker 2: Right then, it's not an either an or, it was a both. You were able to do it.
Speaker 3: There's always a way through. There's always a way through, and and so I think that's that has informed me so much. And it's also informed me looking at things with compassion and not being locked into one way of doing things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well we're going to take a quick break. But before we go, I want I want to ask you one more question is what does it mean to be deeply rooted while you're still willing to evolve, right, you're still willing to grow.
Speaker 3: Well, I think when we're rooted, we get rooted in knowing deeply who we are. And I think the most important rooting is knowing who we are and knowing that we're loved and that we're mattered, that we matter, right And then from there, I think it becomes a lot easier, and we forget that, we get we get thinking that we're separate or that we're alone, or that nobody cares. It's so easy for us to do that. We all do it multiple times throughout the day, right, That's part of our human condition. But it's always bringing yourself back to remembering that we're loved and we've got this, remembering that we matter, remembering that we're capable, and I think remembering who we are at our core.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. So let's take a quick break and when we come back, we're going to talk about beyond performative strength. Before we go, mar let tell folks how they can connect with you and learn more about your services.
Speaker 3: Okay, you can find me on the on our company website at you too shine dot com. That's why you the number two Shine shi in e dot com. You can reach out to me directly over email at Marla at youtoshine dot com, and you can also find my direct page at unconquerableme dot Coach.
Speaker 1: Perfect.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Get Rooted Radio with Erica Gifford Mills, Living it Up, Loving it Up, Letting it Go. Stay tuned, we'll be right back. Welcome back to Get Rooted Radio with Erica Gifford Mills, Living it Up, Loving it Up, Letting it Go. If you missed any portion of today's episode, you can catch it on get Rooted radio dot com. Don't forget to subscribe online or see the latest news, events, specials, and words of encouragement. Go to get a rooted radio dot com. Welcome back to my guest, Marla Vallard. Thank you so much for being on the show today. Thank you thanks for having me absolutely so. During our first segment we got to know you a little bit more and we talked about being rooted and responsibility. And during this segment we're going to talk about beyond performative strength, right, that resilience, vulnerability and leading from within. So we often praise people for being strong, right, being resilient, being Oh look at how strong she is. But that strength can sometimes become a performance And I know this personally. I did it for probably a good year at least after my son passed. But what is the difference between that authentic strength and the performative strength?
Speaker 3: Wow? I think I think authentic strength comes from really having honesty and the courage to be honest with ourselves from within about where we are and about what we can and can't do. I think performative strength comes when we start trying to prove ourselves to other people externally, right, and I've done both. I still do both, you know. I think we all have this desire to prove that we're trustworthy, that we can do our job, that we're competent, that we can show up. They get to earn trust, to prove that people can count on us, right, to prove that we'll be there. When when proving that becomes more important than authentic self care and honesty, I think that's where we get it out of balance.
Speaker 2: And I think that's why high performing people struggle to admit that they are tired or overwhelmed or uncertain, because they don't want to be seen as not competent. But that's not right that. I think that's where people we need to understand that that vulnerability does build trust, acknowledging right, we need help. We can't do it all on our own. I mean, the world wasn't built all on your own, right. We we have businesses. This is why we have teams, and this is why we do need to help one another. But what does vulnerability look like for someone who is accustomed to being that leader, the provider, or the person everyone else relies on.
Speaker 3: Again, I think it's I think it's it's really being able to get grounded or as you say, rooted into reality of what we can and can't do. You know, one of the greatest things in the world is to be able to believe I can do anything, but I can't do everything right. But a lot of us still have the need to prove that we no, no, I could do everything. We're gonna and by Gollie, we're.
Speaker 2: For a woman's syndrome.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: What happened, what actually happens with high performers in a leadership role is you're actually robbing the other people of an opportunity to lead, yes, and to shine authentically themselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just like I mean within the working world and within your home life too. You know, you do a disservice if you do everything for your partner or your children, because how do they learn right?
Speaker 3: How do they shine? That's it, you know. I had I had a really interesting experience that where this really where this concept really jelled for me. I was on say, I was chairman of a board of directors for a nonprofit organization, and I was leading and I was leading a regular monthly networking meeting for business women and entrepreneurial women. Right. It was really incredible, but when we set that up for our very first board of directors meeting. When we were setting everything up and greeting how we wanted it to go. The thing that we said we wanted to each get out of it was to develop our own capacities as leaders and expand that, and by doing that, empower the other women that were working with us to develop their capacity as leaders. So four years later, I found myself leading this networking group when I was starting to get really fatigued with it. I just was getting fatigued with it, and I went through all the iterations of what's wrong with me and what's wrong with them? Because I had been so passionate about it. How could I have been so passionate about it when I started? And suddenly it just was dreaming. It felt draining, And so I had an amazing conversation with the person at that time who was my business coach, who's the founder of my company, you Desheine, by the way, and she said, you know, I don't think there's anything wrong with you, and I don't think there's anything wrong with them. I think you've completed what you came here for, and it's okay to let yourself see that and move on. And so it was really interesting thing because within about three months, the ones of us that had started that four years ago had all expanded our capacity for leadership so much that we're moving into bigger spaces or global spaces, larger companies, and we're no longer having the time and the energy to devote to something that had been so meaningful. But we also had these other women that were practically begging to step up, and we were blocking them by staying right. And so the most beautiful realization in the world was we had actually accomplished what we set out to do. We had developed ourselves, and we had developed these other people. But because we were hanging on so tightly do it having to be the same way that it was, we were blocking it off from going right. And so it's a great example, and that experience taught me so much about allowing yourself to follow your own authentic energy. It was a very vulnerable thing. There's a lot of tears, you know, moving on and and and saying the goodbyes and changing hands, and a lot of insecurity, a lot of them right, a lot of them. I Making the right decisions with all of that came into play, but it was so worth it, And when I look back on it, I know deep down that it had to happen and not a moment later. Sooner and not a moment later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you needed to be aligned, right, And I think that's you know, what are some signs that a person is living in conformity rather than alignment?
Speaker 3: Right? Well, I think you know. And again, when we're in conformity, it's when we're worried about, worrying more about what the external world thinks we should do. It's when we start shooting ourselves what a kind of should Yes, I'm a fan of not shooting yourself. Yeah, okay, So it's when we start shooting ourselves and so what happens, that's when we That's when I know I'm trying to conform, yeah, rather than really going inside me and going okay, but what do I actually want? What actually feels good? What am I forcing myself to sacrifice right now? And why am I doing? Why am I thinking this way? Like? Why am I wanting to do this? Well?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that that emotional honesty, right, And I think resilience can become unhealthy when it's used to avoid that emotional honesty, rest grief, right, And so how do you help someone recognize the difference between that perseverance and self abandonment because we're trying to be resilient for the for unhealthy reasons.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, what I find is it's self abandonment. I also have recently learned the word self erasure. We erase ourselves when we're unwilling to own what our needs are or what our feelings are, where we just kind of push it aside go, I won't ask for that because whatever, right because because because I just won't ask for that, I just won't ask for help right now, or I won't ask for what I need right now. That's actually a form of not only self abandonment, but actually self erasure in my book, And so, I think that one of the first things is to know our internal yes and our internal no. You know, in our no happens, we can feel it. I can usually feel it in my body before my brain catches up. When I feel an internal constriction about something, that's my cue to pay attention versus you know, when you're a full yes to something, you feel everything and you leap forward into it. And I just had had the privilege of having this conversation with somebody last week and it clarified even more for me. But when I'm a full yes for something, and Eric, I know, when you're a full yes or something, there's just no stopping. You feel everything in you. I'm doing this.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: When you're not a full yes, there's that hesitation, there's all the questions, there's the and that's the should. And so what I've I've come to believe about myself is if I'm not a fool yes, I'm actually a no yeah, and I'm a no trying to be a yes. And that's what's creating the internal conflict.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're you're it because you think you should or write somebody else told you that this is a path you should take, and you're you're on the fence. And yes, for me, if you're on the fence, don't jump it, just get off.
Speaker 3: You're not you're not all in that. And so and so that's what I mean about having the courage to be honest. And and sometimes that means that is a is a potential consequence that we might inconvenience someone else or let them down or disappoint them. Yes, it absolutely is. But going back to where we started with responsibility. I can only be responsible for my response, and I gotta let other people be responsible for theirs. And so even if somebody really wants me to do something, or maybe even if I've committed something to something and something else has come that's going to interfere with that, and I need to adapt or adjust that commitment. I know I'm running the risk that someone else is going to be unhappy with my choice. Yep, right, But then it comes down to I've got to let them be responsible with that for themselves, and I can only be responsible for me. Now. Can I deliver it in a caring, loving way, Yes? Can I do it with integrity, yes, absolutely, But I still can't control how they're going to respond.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you need to choose your alignment over their expectation because that's their response, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: So I want to ask one more question before we go to break. And I think one of the bravest things that any person can do. It takes a lot of courage is to ask for help, but many times people don't want to do that because they feel like they're losing their strength. How can people become more emotionally honest without feeling that they are losing their strength or authority.
Speaker 3: You know, I think it comes through this. I think it comes through recognizing that we all have different gifts and talents. We all have different experiences that created us. And one of the greatest things that I am learning to do now is recognize I know where I'm highly gifted and talented, and I also know where I've put in the work to develop skills to go along with it. The key is to also admit all the things that I don't know, which is actually much greater. Yes, right, there's so much more that I don't know and can't do or be skilled at. But asking for help means recognizing that another person might be so much better at it than me and giving grace to both of us to honor that, because that's the key is I'm actually suppressing talent, right.
Speaker 2: I mean, I love it when I have a team that is smarter than me, Like, yeah, I want them to be smarter than me. That's how we get keep going, and that's how I think that too many people are afraid are they going to shine more than me? Are they gonna surpass me? And as a as a leader, I don't feel like I'm successful unless I build and create other leaders that go on and do greater things.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 2: I think that's really important.
Speaker 3: I think if you want to excel, you got to have have what it takes to train your replacement. Yes, one hundred, that's it. It's so so if you look at it differently that way, like a lot of people are like, oh, I have to guard my position and prove that I'm valuable. Well, actually, how you advance is by being replaceable where you are now so you can move and go move on, so you can move on to the next thing. And so I look at it just very very differently, you know, and think and grow. Rich Napoleon Hill talks about that a lot too.
Speaker 2: Well, let's take a quick break and when we come back, we're going to talk about identity and purpose. Before we go, Marla, tell folks how they can connect with you.
Speaker 3: You can find me at youto shine dot com. That's why youto shine dot com. That is our company website, and you can also email me directly if you want to make contact at Marla at you just shine dot com. I'm always happy to hear from you, and then you can find my personal page on the website at unconquerable me dot coach.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. I'm Erica Gifford Mills, and you are listening to Get Rooted Radio, Living it Up, Loving it Up, Letting it Go. Stay tuned, We'll be right back. We're back on Get Rooted Radio with Erica Giffridmills, Living it Up, Loving it Up, Letting it Go. Don't forget to visit Get Rooted radio dot com to listen to our replay of this episode, sign up for Hubble tips and learn about upcoming events. That's get Rooted radio dot com. Welcome back to my guest, Marla Ballard. Thank you so much for being on the show today.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me. This is amazing. So during the.
Speaker 2: Last segments we talked about being rooted and responsibility and resilience, vulnerability and becoming beyond that, performative strength and leading from within. And during this segment we're going to discuss identity and purpose more specifically who am I after the mission, So tell tell our listeners more about the what you do and the mission behind this veteran centric initiative, because I don't know that a lot of people know exactly what you do and how it can help that transition from military service to civilian life.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, first of all, what I'm highly committed to and what our company is committed to with Quantum Personal Development is really empowering people to be who they're uniquely built to be in this world, and to be able to work through being aligned, to express their unique gifts and talents, and to truly be free to do so. Right, It's all about freedom. You know. At one point we used to say we break people out of prison. I like that.
Speaker 2: I think that's funny. It's good catch. But people are like, well, excuse me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly exactly. But really, if you think about it, when we're conforming, that is a type of a prison. Yes, and we all do it. And we all, you know, all of us that are seeking growth and development and expansion and wanting to get up to things in the world, we're all actually seeking to move past that need to conform and the freedom to be authentic. Right, and so so what when it comes down to veterans and first responders and their families. You know, someone once said to me that part of your aligned mission in the world is the thing that would make your heart cry when you think about it not being helped, and no, no, for me, I have so much admiration for the people who put themselves on the line to serve other people and all of the different things that they're willing to go through and be exposed to, and the immense personal sacrifice that that takes, right, and we forget, you know, our veterans, our military folks are willing to go into some of the most horrible experiences. But so are first responders, right, They're the ones that have to stand there and hold it together to put other people back together.
Speaker 2: Yes, and yeah, I mean they they are doing things that most individuals can't or won't. The things that they see. Again, first responders military, what they see, what they go through, what they carry along with them, you know, and so many times you've got them. They're defined by their mission, right, their their rank, their role, their responsibility, and that transition can be extremely hard.
Speaker 3: It can be. And so that's the first thing, is just the immense love and admiration I have for the people and for the courage that it takes to do that, because our military folks are willing to stand on a line at risk, you know, And I don't even think people realize we lose people just to training exercises, just training to do the job is dangerous, and they're willing to take that on. And so for those folks, their families and all the people that support them in their communities, they just I have immense love and respect. And I think the way what happens is is in order to do that, there is a deep rooting into camaraderie and trust with the people that are there with you, and a deep desire to make sure that the person to the left and the right of you is protected by you. Right, that's the deal you're making. And so same thing with our first responders. They're really committing to protect the public, to protect the other people, and to show up and care for them. And so that's a very special form of strength and resilience, encourage and bravery. But what happens is is when you transition out of that role, if that's who you've been showing up as for twenty years, and suddenly you're in the private sector where that's not even understood or acknowledged and in many times not even appreciated, right, And you know, it's it's a fascinating thing because we we assigned so many stereotypes to things too, Right, A lot of people automatically assume, if you're a veteran, you must be traumatized. Yeah, and we assign all these these crazy stereotypes. Or you must be really rigid if you were in the military, right, or you must you know, we assign these things. And so so I think that it's it's really important to recognize what it takes in a person and the immense amount of skill and leadership and commitment to service and to serve others. And so that's that's what I honor. But I think that it gets overlooked how many gifts and talents and skills that gives a person because it's a little different than what we see in a corporate world, right right, and ahead, no no, no, no, go ahead. And there's the huge So there's a huge value in two pieces of it. One is really helping those people really connect to the immense amount of gifts and talents they have that they may not even recognize because back to the conformity. In the world of conformity, they're told it's not a value. You know, it's not a value here.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: It's also you know, I think sharing, even having conversations like this and helping to empower other people that are outside of that world to view it differently.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, I mean, and I think you it's everybody, right, everybody leads differently, Different generations lead differently, people in different with different backgrounds. I mean, this is why we want the diversity, and I don't mean diversity as in diversity inclusion. Right, that's one way if we all were the same, how do we have these great ideas and these great great ways to move forward? And I think it can show up very differently in those veterans and first responders because they have carried enormous responsibility and they are doing a major life transition. So what do you tell them when they're looking for their why their you know what the purpose behind it?
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, I seek not to tell anybody anything.
Speaker 2: Yes, I was just saying, how do you help them get to get that out of it?
Speaker 3: It's really about asking about the questions that we're asking, right, It's really about the questions that we're asking, And so it's a continual question of helping a person just tune into what is it that they feel aligned, what are their values, what are their gifts, what are their talents? How do we help them feel empowered? Right? One of my favorite quotes that we use in our very exclusive coaching program is from Buckminster Fuller, and I love the question that he asks. He says, how do we make the world work for one hundred percent of humanity in the shortest possible time through spontaneous cooperation without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone? Right. That's a really incredible question of nonconformity, by the way, but it's continually asking, Okay, what is unique about me? What makes me happy? What lights me up? What do I want to contribute? Who am I? How can I help? Who do I want to help? It's it's really helping people feel safe and empowered to delve into those questions and to find the answers within themselves and then actually implement it, because implementation is important. Right. We can get all the inspiration in the world, but if we're not willing to take the actions to move it forward, then it doesn't happen right, right?
Speaker 2: And does how does role of community right outside of the as what role do they play? And we're building a sense of that belonging when we're looking at once that once that individual is navigating into their into their new and I hate to say it is because I hate this term, but new normal right, their new identity without changing themselves, right.
Speaker 3: I think I think that it's it's really important to start building trust with people and find relationships that can support you. And some some people are more gifted at this than others. Some people are naturally amazing connectors. Others may struggle with that a little bit. But it also comes back to I believe we also have to be willing to become what it is that we're seeking, right, And so I know that if I want to if I want to feel trusted, if I want people to trust me, I have to first become someone that people can trust. And so it's it's again learning finding ways to authentically and very courageously reach outside of yourself. And there is a lot of vulnerability in that, without a doubt for all of us.
Speaker 2: How does Unconquerable Me help people move from the survival and responsibility into inner freedom and meaningful contribution.
Speaker 3: A lot of it comes down to accepting our survival. Right, So when you look at our our trademark registered branding, when you look at unconquerable me or quantum me or any of our all of our knee brand is a little M and a big EE. And that brand is represents this. The little M is for that mortal material matter, right, that we are, right, we are in this physical body, having a physical experience on a very physical earth, right, and and so there's always going to be that. But then that the big E represents that expanding energy, that eternal essence. Right for me, that's love, What that is is pure love. Right. We're both, We're both. What happens, though, is a lot of times when people are sneaking for something higher or they're calling or their purpose, they're frustrated with the mortal matter that also needs to survive. And so it's actually making peace with being both and recognizing when we're when we're really in that higher expression of ourselves versus when we're really in survival, and being able to accept an honor and love both and have compassion for both, and as we do that within ourselves, having that for other people as well. Right. I know the things that trip my survival trigger, and I know when it's tripped, right, and I can act like a terrible person like we all do because we're and survival, right, but it's also going okay, little girl, step back.
Speaker 1: We know we just we just had our.
Speaker 3: Alarm system tripped. You're okay, right, and then and then you're remembering and re engaging a lot of it is the speed at which we learned to do that.
Speaker 2: Well, we're going to take a quick break and when we come back, we're going to finish out the show with what is sustainable success and inner freedom, creating that life that does not require burnout. This is Get Rooted Radio with Erica Gifford Mills, Living it up, loving it up, Letting it go. Stay tuned, We'll be right back. Welcome back to Get Rooted Radio with Erica Gifford Mills, Living it up, Loving it up, Letting it go. If you missed any information during the last segments, go to get rid of radio dot com to listen to a replay of this episode, other episodes, and sign up for Huffle tips, special events, and pricing for upcoming speaking and coaching sessions at getrooted radio dot com. Welcome back to my guest, Marla Ballard. Thank you so much for being on the show today.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me Eric, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Yes, tell listeners how they can learn more about you, You shine, the Unconquerable me just everything on how they can reach out to you and learn more about what you have to offer.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, and we do have a lot to offer. We have multiple modalities we work with that are trademarked and licensed in seventeen amazing coaches on our team now, so you can find all of us on the website at youtoshine dot com. That's why you too shine dot com. You can reach my page directly at Unconquerablemee dot coach. And for anybody who feels connected to anything that we're in conversation about today and wants to reach out, please feel free to email me directly at Mark Arla at youtuo shine dot com. That's why youto shine dot com so much so.
Speaker 2: During the last segments, in case you missed it, we talked about being rooted in responsibility, about resilience, vulnerability and beyond performing the strength and leading from within, as well as identity and purpose. And during this last segment, we're going to discuss that sustainable success and inner freedom by creating a life that does not require the burnout. And as we've mentioned, you built and scaled the successful businesses right coach high performers, and now you lead the you two shine global expansion. How do you define sustainable success?
Speaker 3: The sustainable success for me is when I can be up to the things I want to be up to in the world that they give me joy, frankly, and that I feel good about and fulfilled about in alignment with my values and my gifts and talents and my internal integrity and the ability to be authentic within it. Because yeah, that's.
Speaker 2: What success looks like when you're when you you're in that rooted alignment rather than that comparison or you know that that informity, right, And we talked a little bit about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, whenever, whenever I am not being true to myself whatever, in whatever way that is, and that a lot of times we don't realize not being true to ourselves doesn't necessarily have to be a big violation of self. We do it, and all the time we betray ourselves in a lot of little, tiny ways. Right. It's those moments when you know you don't want to do something, You're like, oh, sacrifice myself for this, right, And then we feel so drained and so exhausted or whatever. Right, it's it's all those little places or or those things where we know something's misaligned, but rather than have the courage to truly be honest and explore it and then be vulnerable to acknowledge it with another person, we just decide we're gonna just I'll just take one for the team, and I'll just be It's okay, I can be miserable for a while. Right. We do a lot of that, But those, every single one of those little things is a self betrayal. Yeah, and then and so do enough of those, and then wonder why someone shows up in your life that actually betrays you.
Speaker 2: You're getting to do it.
Speaker 3: We And here's the thing, it's a very human condition. This is not this is not a commentary on anybody's right. I've done it as much as as anybody. This is why I'm so familiar with it. I know it very very well. Right. And so so when you're talking about burnout, the bottom line is burnout comes from energy, and that's what we work with really well in quantum personal development, by the way, is energy. But the bottom line is is anytime you have more energetic output than energetic output you're receiving back in to restore you, you're going to be in a state of burnout. Because that's the bottom line. What is depletion and fatigue. It's we've given more than we've replenished every time. And so one of the places where we create burnout the most is when we're forcing the energy, when we're so fixed that something has to happen a certain way at a certain time, and by golly, and and we're forcing it and we're trying to force everyone around us, and we feel that that's fatigue and that drain from that happening. That's the moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And I think that's so many driven people equate exhaustion with achievement or they are sacrificing their health, relationships, or identity to pursue those ambitious goals and that this quantum personal development. How how can that break through? That right is, how do we allow our internal beliefs and emotional patterns shape the results we experience externally, and how can we kind of get to that greater clarity.
Speaker 3: That's it. That's a lot of it is learning to realize and it's it's really delving into so much self honesty, right, because because what I find is it's you know, and it's a really interesting thing. Right now, people say, oh, you know, if you love yourself too much, yourself, it's it's all about loving others. And then others say, oh, you know, if you don't have enough self love, then you're not taking care of yourself. And it's always bulbe it's best not to make a distinction. Just love, just love, just love yourself, just love humanity, love love people, love what you're up to. Right, But when we're when we're starting to force that energy and feel the drain of that, the moment we feel the drain of that, that is the cue to take a step back for a moment and go, okay, what am I? What am I not seeing? What am I? What am I forcing here?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: Rather than taking a deep breath and trusting have I done everything I know to do? And if I've done everything I know to do and now I'm just making everybody crazy trying to push hamph away past that, including myself, right, I'm draining my energy. Right, there is a point where we've done everything we know to do and we have to just let go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Right, for the person listening, who feels exhausted, disconnected, or certain about their next chapter. What is one step that they can take today?
Speaker 3: I think I think the first thing is is to immediately stop and ask what do I need right now? And if it's rest or a walk or a massage or go sit in the sunshine, what you know, or nourishing meal, whatever it is, but to actually give yourself permission and freedom to just stop and say what do I need right now in this moment the most to restore me and then go let yourself have that, and then see where you are. The world is not you know, here's the thing, and this is hubris. I'll be frank with you. We don't realize it, but self sacrifice is actually a form of hubris and egotism, because what we're saying is that we're so important that the world's going to fall apart if we take care of ourselves, if we're if we're over extending ourselves. And you know, and I don't mean this in a diminishing way, but even for me, I got to realize I'm one person, and I'm you know, and I've got one body, and that body needs good food and rest and exercise. And care right and fun, and it's so it's it's it's realizing that I've got to take care of that because if I if I'm not okay, how am I going to have any sustainability with showing up for anyone else? But it actually, for a lot of us, takes an immense amount of humility to care for ourselves. It's a humbling thing to actually own that we're not superhuman. Sometimes, yeah, all.
Speaker 2: Right, complete this sentence and then then we gotta go. I become unconquerable when I love.
Speaker 3: When I love.
Speaker 2: Thank you Marlin for being on the show today.
Speaker 3: Thank you thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: And I want to thank you all for tuning in to Get Rooted Radio. If you missed any part of today's episode or want to listen again, go to get Rooted radio dot com for the podcast, and don't forget to tune in the first and third Monday of each month at five pm Eastern, four pm Central, and two pm Pacific right here on Transformation Talk Revolution. As we close out today's episode, I want to remind all listeners that you are worthy. If you are hurting or need help, please know the world needs you and it is a better place with you in it. Don't let the hard days when reach out for assistance and know it's okay to not be okay and to ask and receive help. Call our text the nine eight eight Suicide and Crisis Lifeline, or text home h Ome to seven four one seven four one to reach a trained crisis counselor Both lines are open twenty four hours a day, seven days a week and are free. Thank you for tuning in and looking forward to the next time on Get Rooted Radio with Erica Gifford Mills, Living it up, loving it up, letting it go. Goodbye everyone.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Get Rooted Radio with Erica Gifford Mills, Living it up, loving it up, and letting it go. Visit get Rooted radio dot com you've missed any part of this hit show and tune in on Transformation Talk radio dot com to live fearlessly in your more and powerfully rooted in your unlimited Yes. For more information and to work with Erica directly, visit get Rooted radio dot com. Let's get Rooted radio dot com and get ready to live it up, love it up, and let it go.