Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company. Fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we are get off our show, idiots. The kids are crying or turning off. The countries are screwing it up.
Speaker 2: Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother gold Play inter Murals.
Speaker 1: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not. Who's the kid here?
Speaker 2: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 1: Are you kidding me? Now? Here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 3: So those of you that listen to this show, you know, somewhat regularly or maybe just here and there, over the years, you may have heard me mention that I'm not big on, you know, summertime in hot weather. It's odd. Most people love the sun and hate when it ends, and I'm the opposite. And I got to say, summer has gone by really fast. It's not really over yet. It's hot as hell outside. We still have a few weeks until we get to see some football. But school started back today for my daughter, school here in Jefferson County and Louisville will be back on Thursday, I believe. And you know, summer has you know, completely flown by, which makes me feel good. I mean, John got me excited yesterday towards the end of the show because what are we less than three weeks away from some week zero action.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Week zero begins on my birthday this year, August twenty fourth. I'm excited about that.
Speaker 3: I think college football scheduled that just for your birthday. Absolutely so. Yeah, I feeling good here on a Tuesday, And as school started today, it's you know, it's a sad day for a lot of kids because they don't want summer break to end. I'm curious how teachers view it, John, your wife's a teacher. I mean, I feel like there's probably a little bit of kids still in teachers that they do enjoy the thought of getting back at it right and seeing the kids. But I don't know, maybe they're just like the kids who think, hell no, I wish we had some eight months out of the year.
Speaker 2: For my wife, I feel like it's varied year by year. This year, for her, she's definitely been more on the anxious side of things, mainly because she feels like the summer went by too fast for and you know, it just kind of depends on the year. For I feel like probably most teachers, and that's where my wife lands.
Speaker 3: So technically, what do you get like two and a half months roughly for a summer break for teachers and students? Is that about right? I guess it depends on how many snow days you have to make up that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: I think they got out right at the end of May, right around Memorial Day this past year, if I remember correct.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So you know, it's it goes by quick. And I'm very lucky because my son hasn't started school yet. Maybe he'll hate it. But my daughter, I mean, she loves school. For the last two weeks she's known it was coming up. She asks every night school tomorrow, school tomorrow, and you know we had to tell her nope, nope, and then last night we can tell her yes, in fact, you are starting school to you know today, what she did starts third grade today. Both my wife and I dropped her off at school and ran right to the door and didn't look back, didn't tell us by, and no hugs, no seeing mommy daddy. She was just gone right to her classroom to see all her friends that she she missed over the summer. So like you remember, not that you remember everything about my personal life, John, because you know, I don't know why you would. But do you remember when I talked about going on a field trip for the first time as a dad on the show.
Speaker 2: Was it when you went to the zoo?
Speaker 3: Yes? Okay, I thank you for so that doesn't feel like it was that long ago. But yet they were still in school like that was clearly the last school year and now there's a new school year. Just crazy how quickly time goes by. But yeah, we are still not quite at football season, but man, we're getting closer and closer, and that has me super excited. Also super excited to be here with you guys today for another edition of Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety that you're hanging out with us. Just remember you can take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the iHeart Radio app Listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. Also, remember to sign up to become a member of the Thornton's Refreshman Awards program if you haven't already. You'll save money at the pump and you'll just be living life better than those that are not members of the Refreshment Awards program. So again it's refreshman Wards dot com or you can just find the app on your phone. It's easy, it's free and again you'll save money. So that right there, John, is what they call a read. You know that you're somebody in the radio business, you know what a live read is. And that's not really technically a live read, but you know it's something that you know. With Thornton's being our title sponsor, great partners, I got to make sure throughout the show that you guys know where our bread are. Bread is buttered, as they say, right, we are proud partners of Thornton's. I hope they're as proud as we are. They're probably not, but you know what, will work hard to make sure they one day share the same level of you know, love we have for them. But again, they're great in all seriousness. But that was just something that routine for me. I've been mentioning Thornton's on this show for gosh four years now, that's how great they've been as a partner. They've been loyal and we love them. But before the show today, I was here earlier than I usually am because I needed to record, like eight commercials. I was out last week, and We've got some new stuff in the works that I'm excited about, and I gotta I gotta get some commercials recorded so we can you know, let you guys here during our commercial breaks about the great partners that we have. And our sales team does a great job of providing good copy points scripts essentially, and I prefer a copy point list rather than like a script because then I can, you know, kind of put it together, riff on my own, make it seem a little bit more like I'm not reading something. But I bring all this up to say, I'm really bad at recording something that I'm reading, like I don't know why. And I was just talking to John about this the other day because he now does his own show, and it is it is it is often is it live live like all the time or not.
Speaker 2: So it's right now it's a pre recorded show. We're hoping to eventually make it something that's live, but yes, right now, each show is pre recording.
Speaker 3: And I know some people who do show similar to yours that you know, they'll they'll they'll put it live at like six pm on a yeah, exactly. But it's you know, it's not live, live, but like it might have been recorded two hours before, you know what I mean. So it's it's close to live. And there's reasons that on the Internet why you do that, as far as making sure you're hitting at the right time, Like, there's there's a method to it, as far as getting as much reach as you can with anything you post on the World Wide Web. So I was telling John, like, the last time I recorded something that was like content, it's been a while. Usually anything I do is live. And if I'm if I was to do this show, let's say I had to record the show from noon to three and they aired it it three to six, I don't know why anybody in the world would do that, but you know, just just humor me. I don't even know if I could get through a segment because for some reason, whenever it's whenever, it whenever it's live. Like we are right now where I just push this button and John's doing his thing in the control room that puts us over the over the radio airwaves. You know, I'm not reading off of a teleprompter. I'm not reading a script. I'm not referencing notes or copy points. I'm just yapping. Now I've got notes that I reference throughout the show, and you know, believe it or not, I do prepare for this show. But there's something about it being like a recorded take that I just I fumble over my words and I do that enough, as is with with the live show that we have here, but there's a there's something about it being live that actually makes it more relaxed for me to or I'm just like, oh cares you know, Like I don't know what it is, because I think most people would be the opposite. If they're recording, they can be more relaxed and composed because they know if they do slip up and make a mistake or you know, mess up a word or something like that, they can just start over and record again. But here I am. I've got like four commercials for a new client that we have, and I mean it took me, and it took It was embarrassing how long it took me to get through those because I just kept like I started reading way too fast, and then I'm like, well, you sound like you are Ron Burgundy reading the teleprompter like you know. It puts some make it sound like you know, and it is legit. It's you know, it's it's nobody's fault but my own. But it really made me start the show today kind of questioning am I in the right business radio? Like I can't even record a thirty second commercial that doesn't take me thirty minutes to do, Like that can't be normal.
Speaker 2: I definitely get what you're saying, and especially after recording a few episodes and having that ability to know that if I do mess up, I can reset some things. Now. One thing I have noticed about me specifically when I'm pre recording these shows, I won't worry about if I slipped up a word, but if I am wanting to gather my thoughts before I go into another topic, I'll pause the recording and then.
Speaker 3: Show yeah, it makes total sense.
Speaker 1: Take an advantage of yeah.
Speaker 3: And that makes total sense, and that's a benefit to the live stuff, no doubt. But here I am like sentence one, I'll stop and you know, have to take a long break, like let me get now get. I don't know what it is like, I'm I'm in my own head. I think at the first commercial there recorded earlier today, I realized how long it took me, and I'm like, man, that that's not good, like that's you know, I want it to sound good at times. I do, you know, try to be a perfectionist. But anyways, I don't Maybe I don't know. Maybe it's because I'm rusty, Like I haven't had any recorded commercials in quite some time. Most of the stuff that you've heard me reference when it comes to our great partners that partner with myself and the show, it's just been live reads, which again I think those are I mean, those are more organic and to any advertiser out there, that's really where you get a lot of value because you know, it's in content advertising and in a way it becomes kind of like a part of the show to where nobody really even considers it to be an advertisement. Anyways, long story short, I was rusty and recording some commercials today and I thought like, maybe I'm just having a really bad day with brain fog. Maybe the second day back from vacation is when it really hits me that, man, I'm you know, needing to recover from said vacation. But here we are, turn the microphone on John, and I've just been yapp in for the last ten minutes without much trouble not to say that I've put on a great performance thus far. I can't speak for the last ten minutes and say that it's, you know, phenomenal radio, but it's better than what I did. And when I try to record those commercials.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you mass commercial recording can get really frustrating because, like yourself, I get really frustrated if I don't get something in a take or two, because then I start overthinking everything. I'm kind of a perfectionist whenever it comes to how everything sounds, and it's very easy to get in your head if things don't go well in the first few takes.
Speaker 3: Well, and you want the client to sense how genuine you are when discussing their service, their business, what they do. So you don't want it to sound and you know I lobot it. Yeah, yeah, you don't want it to sound like you're just reading a script. That's why for me, I will take copy points and kind of just run from that, or take copy points and then kind of put my own thing together that I think makes the most sense. I will say this is my one complaint. Like they give us thirty seconds for a spot, you can do like a fifteen second spot. I guess you could also do a sixty second spot. That's extremely rare. However, like I can't talk like I mean, I talk fast as it is, but I'm like, okay, like these are all the things that we have to mention in this commercial. Okay, Well I might need to record three of these commercials because I can't fit that all that in there in thirty seconds. And if you give them a commercial that is, you know, a millisecond over thirty. I don't know if it's our system or if it's something they do on their end, but that's where you get to where they slightly speed up your voice and you sound like a drunk album the Chipmunk. And there's some liners of me talking about the station and this show that'll randomly be on, like I'll I was driving the other night. It was right before we left town. I was driving, It's like one o'clock in the morning, and I had, of course I had it on Sports Talk seven None You have a company, Man, and they just did the you know, the legal idea or whatever that you hear you know the station you're listening to, and it was either like an old recording of me when I was thirteen, which I don't think that's the case, or they sped me up to make it fit. And I'm like, come on, like, I don't want people to think I sound like that. Hey, I mean, come on now. And I've never been able to figure out like how to get around it, but it seems to you know, it's having other people too, Like I'll hear every now and then I'll hear a Shannon the Due commercial. I'm like, well, he doesn't sound like that. He's a little sped up, or he's had, you know, had some helium or something like that. So anyways, let's let's dive right in, shall we. I wouldn't typically start with this, but given that we are twelve minutes in and I want to make sure I save a little bit of time for I guess the hard hitting topics on today's show, because in the N double A with the NIL, I mean, what do you even call the NIL world? The NIL, like the N S double A is in more trouble than people realize because I'm pretty sure that they've they've they've enforced their new rules. The NUBA put out the twenty twenty four to twenty five D one Manual, and there are finally actual NIL updated bylaws that went into effect as of August the first. There was an interim NIL policy if you guys remember, But they're not able to enforce what they're claiming they're going to enforce. So I think the new rules are that there actually are no rules, and I don't want to nerd out on it too much. And also some of it is very confusing to me looking at, you know, excerpts from this NC DOUBLEA Division one Annual Manual. I mean just sounds boring as hell, right, But they're laying out things that they're going to try to enforce. But yet a federal judge has already determined that the NC DOUBLEA cannot punish student athletes for what the NUBA is going to tell them that they can't do. So, I look, we've been saying it forever at least it seems like it, But like how much longer can the NC DOUBLEA exist? I mean, hard to imagine it not existing? But then again, like it seems like every day that passes there's less respect and really unless other than you know, I guess the non revenue sports. I mean it's obviously, I mean, it's how they do business. It's how they operate. But when it coming there's so much money that's going to be coming into college athletics already is right now as we speak, that like n double A is just gonna be useless when it comes to the highest level of college sports. Speaking of that, how about Pitbull. He's doing better than we thought. John, Do you see what he did Withutely We'll get into the specifics, but it reminded me of a sad day for us on this show. I mean, we aren't leaders of the Pitbull fan club, but when I saw that Pitbull was doing a random free concert at the waterfront in Louisville like eighteen months ago, might have been last summer, and like nobody talked about it, there was no coverage. I'm like, mister worldwide, what happened? Now, you're mister waterfront in Louisville, And well, maybe that was just you know, maybe that was a gift he owed somebody here in Louisville. Because my man's dropping the bag for FIU, and I think he's a little ahead of himself as far as assuming that every football program in the country is gonna want a celebrity to purchase naming rights but he may be onto something because there's there's going to be so much money needed for college athletics to be sustainable for these programs that want to win, and it is interesting to see just the different ways in which these universities are going to start monetizing things because they have to. So we'll get into all that. Also, some Olympic updates. Believe it or not, I do have some interesting things to share from the Olympics. It's not a whole lot about metal counts or anything like that, but just some of the stories that have surfaced from over there. We'll get into that. Some Louisll football stuff. I want to get to some not a whole lot of takeaways yet right now. When it comes to camp, however, there is one player that we heard about after one of the recent practices that I want to discuss and something I missed last week, but I'll I definitely want to get into. It is the NFL's annual player rankings. Right. NFL players vote as far as who the best players in the league are, and they do a top one hundred every year, and where the quarterbacks fell really surprised me, but then again kind of didn't. But I've got a question for you when it comes to why Patrick Mahomes is not viewed as the number one quarterback in the NFL to his peers, whereas it seems like just about everybody else views him as the best quarterback in the NFL. And honestly, some would tell you it's not close. But anyways, I've got an interesting question on that that I want to throw at you guys to see what you think. So again, we're loaded today, but one thing I have to ask if somebody can help me out here. This photo that I just posted on Twitter. I saw it from the no context Louisville Cardinal's Twitter account. Don't follow that account, they don't follow me, but it ended up on the what do you call it, the four you section of the Twitter timeline. And it's a Louisville football uniform and it looks, you know, like a normal red Louisville Cardinal Adidas football jersey other than one thing that is a lot different. What you would assume would be white is yellow gold, more so yellow than gold. And it looks I mean, again, I don't know where this picture came from. Is this Are we wearing these like? Cause these are awful. I have no problem in saying it. We would look like we they look like, yeah, Ronald McDonald, Like that's exactly what this color scheme is. Ronald McDonald is the look. And I'm just curious, like are we doing this? Like is that? Like I've never really understood the the interest in in adding like gold or yellow to the Louisville like U OFL colors, right, I mean, I mean, if you if you look at the actual logo the you know the there's a yellow there's a yellow beak for the bird, right, I mean that's that's that's about it. But like it looks it looks hideous, and I'm convinced that, like there are certain fans that no matter what your team wears, you're gonna say that's badass. That is you see, that's awesome, And it's because you're you know, you're die hard and shout out to you. They could wear whatever and you're gonna still support them. And look, I'll support them whatever they're wearing. But like, I also have no problem in stating if my team is wearing ugly ash uniforms and these are just.
Speaker 1: Not it the.
Speaker 3: Best example of certain people just like they don't. As long as it says Louisville and it says cards on it, They're all in. Doesn't matter, doesn't matter what else it is. It's if it's their team. They change colors, they change logos, they changed brands, doesn't matter if it's Louisville, they're gonna say it looks great. And again that speaks to their their love for Louisville. But I'll never forget in twenty fifteen when they played Auburn down there in Atlanta. It was the first ever career game for Lamar Jackson, I think at the time the Chick fil A Kickoff Classic, and they wore uniforms from Adidas that I don't know if I don't think Adidas called them this, but I know a lot of Louisville fans, myself included, called them the murder Birds. But if you just google Louisville's uncaged cardinal uniforms against Auburn, you'll see that it's the ugliest uniform that has ever existed. I mean the bird, I mean they changed the mascot like that. That's I don't know what that is. That's not a Louisville cardinal that you know has green eyes, and the lettering on the back looked like it had been written with a pencil before the game started. I mean, they were just they were hideous, and yet some people claim they were they're badass worthies every game. I'm like, okay, well, I mean, if we do that, just know that we're we're now no longer the same team. We can call ourselves Louisville and the Cardinals. But that's not a Cardinal, that's a that's a villain bird, which of course our Cardinals, not REO. Mean, I don't know if there's any real Cardinals out there flying around that have teeth like ours does. But you know, it's been our thing forever. But surely these can't be real. I mean, but John, you see the picture. It looks like they're for sale right now. And if you're gonna sell them to fans, I mean, wouldn't it make sense that they would They would be uniforms that the team would wear, especially if they got the Adida's logo and the acc Football logo, Like these look like real deal uniforms.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I doubt these are, you know, going to be the traditional regular uniforms for the season.
Speaker 3: May some kind of special occasion or something.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to.
Speaker 2: Think who they would break them out against, though, what would be the special case?
Speaker 3: I say, some gold on I'll break into the facility and steal them so they don't wear them. That's how ugly they are. You agree these are hideous?
Speaker 1: Yes, they're terrible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's no reason yellow well and it it two two things. One, it just doesn't I don't care. If this was a team I'd never seen before, I don't think it looks good as far as just the color clashing. But also that's not Louisville, Like, that's not people Cardinals. And look, I am not at all given anybody at uf L any grief about this because, believe it or not, they don't really have a whole lot to say, so from what I understand, maybe that's changed, but you know, they don't. You know, Adidas gives them a lot of money, and if Adidas wants to throw some weird out there for them to wear, I think it's in best interest Louisville to, you know, to do with everything they ask, because that's what you do for your partners. They're paying you a lot of money annually, more than they pay anybody else for you to, you know, wear their brand.
Speaker 2: What if the basketball uniforms have their own version of this, that'd be terrible too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, sometimes I'm just bothered by it because it's so different than what we've ever seen, and I'm just like, why are we wearing this? This isn't us. But that's just me being you know, old school, I guess. And then there's some times where I'm like, look, these are just ugly. They're ugly. So anyways, if anybody has any insight into what these uniforms are, please let me know, Like if these are the special edition, because they're not gonna wear them like every game, at least I would hope not, because if that's the case, then you have changed your school colors, I think. But like if it's a special occasion game, then you know that's actually not that uncommon. They did wear gray one time when they played Florida State. I believe in might have been in that same season. No, it's the year before murder Bird uniform. They wore gray when they played Florida State here on a Thursday night Jamis Winston in town. They got up to a big lead and ended up letting that game slip Away and those gray I don't know if it was just me and recency biased. I was a little younger. I remember thinking that their gray uniforms, they were like a dark gray. I remember thinking those look badass. I love those, And now when I see them, I'm like, oh no, I hope they don't wear those again. Maybe I'm becoming more of a traditionalist as I as I get older. Maybe that's what it is.
Speaker 2: Indiana wore black last year and almost lost to Akron, So never wear those again.
Speaker 3: But it looked did it look good?
Speaker 1: They looked okay? They were called the ghost uniforms.
Speaker 2: I like the name of it.
Speaker 3: I always forget you guys having you guys are Adidas as well?
Speaker 1: Or yes?
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, Look let's get to our first break here. We'll come back on the other side. Keep the party rolling along. If you guys want to be a part of the show, you can. Five O two five to seven to one seventy nine hundred is the number if you want to give us a call. Phone lines are open and again text line five O two six five three zero seven ninety it's the Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line. So hang out. Be a part of the show have some fun. So for a while I used to get I guess like PTSD flashbacks because when I was a kid, you know, there there was some level of excitement to get school started, like if you got some if you got a fresh new back to school outfit, some new shoes you wanted to see, you know, your friends and whatnot. Like there was always like, Okay, going back to school be cool for a day or two, but then you're gonna miss summer break. But whenever they would show those back to school commercials, like promoting to go get you know, clothes or school supplies, it would it would just make me so sad knowing that summer was ending. But I've now become you know, an old, an old person to where now I look forward to it because I know it means my daughter's going back to school, which is just you know, that makes our household a little less chaotic because there's more of a structured schedule. She's going to school every day, right, we'd have to worry about different daycare arrangements, childcare stuff and all that. But uh yeah, first day school for my little one, and and JCPS expected to start and well I say expected they are starting, Like, I don't think there's anything that's going to change that. However, I did just read at WDRB dot com that there are hundreds of jobs still available that they're trying to fill as they prepare for the first day of school in just a couple of days. It says. District leaders say the number of openings fluctuates. WDRB saw that firsthand. Monday morning, JCPS website said that there were six hundred and forty two openings. By five thirty pm, there were more than six hundred and seventy. So I mean to know that there are that many jobs open. No clue what those jobs are as far as the title and and you know, part, part time, full time teacher like principal, I don't know, but that can't That just doesn't sound good, you know what I mean, Like that's sad man, because teachers and you know, you can work for a school system and work in a school and not be a teacher. You can. You know, there's a lot of jobs that are important that aren't necessarily you leading a class every day, but you know, maybe you working in the janitorial services, maybe being a bus driver, Like there's a lot of vital positions that are needed. But man, it just it feels like that's become a thankless thing to do, is work for a school in any capacity, And I hate that because the teachers are so important and you know, not to get off of my soapbox here, but like teachers should make more money. Teachers should be taken care of more than they are. I mean, when you consider how important their job is, all the stuff they have to deal with like that. You know, I know a lot of people, myself included, would never want to do and they do it not because they're making a ton of money, because they love it and they want to be They want to make an impact. They want to make a difference. Like if I if I had it my way and I could control it, I would you know, I would give the teacher that is my daughter's teacher triple the amount of money whatever she's making because she's that's I mean, it's she takes care of my kid every day. Teachers and you know, it's a huge part of our life because of that. Now, of course, my daughter's situation is a little bit different, being a special needs kid, but nonetheless, like it's just sad to see that there are that many vacancies. And I have friends of mine that I grew up with that all they ever wanted to do is be teachers, and some of them be teachers and coaches and just get into the educational you know, educational field rather it be administration or you know, teaching that kind of stuff. And three or four of my friends have all done it and moved on. They just just they decided to do something else. Didn't want to do it anymore, you know, I do they get they get summers off, but like, I don't think that would be worth it if you didn't do it because you love it, because you're not making that much money. I guess you can over time and whatnot, but you know.
Speaker 2: You're also working a whole lot more off the clock as a teacher. Absolutely, and people realize absolutely.
Speaker 3: So you know, I don't know if they could get you hired by the time school starts on Thursday. But if you are looking for a position when I see that there's six hundred and seventy of them, wouldn't shock me if people go check out the you know, the the website at JCPS wherever it is and see that there's a position you know what that would maybe maybe I'll do that. All right, it's coffee and company. We are feel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety appreciates you hanging out with us. One of the things that's always been a pet peeve of mine when it comes to reporting and covering sports is how some people describe injuries, how they word it, like in a tweet or just when you do a when you go to a sideline reporter during a game live and they give you a quick update. Yeah, John Alten, tight end for the Hoosiers, looks like he's looks like he's heading to the locker room with a knee. Well, yeah, I would hope he's walking with both knees. I hope he's taking both his knees with him and didn't leave them on the field.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 3: I don't know why that bothers me so much because it's become the common thing. But anyways, I just saw a tweet that has gone viral, which these are my people, people who think this is funny, people who retweeted this to give it these seven hundred thousand impressions that it's had in the last twenty four hours. You're my people. So Clarence Hill Junior covers the Cowboys. I'm not sure for who, but he's got a bunch of followers. He reported that Cowboys running back Royce Freeman left practice with a groin, and somebody shared that and said, did he steal someone's groin? And I'm like, why do we word it that way? Is it that big of a deal to say he left practice with an injured groin with a nagging groin to get a I mean, like, why do we have like of course, yeah, he looks like he's going to be out with with a you know, with his shoulder. Well, of course he's got a shoulder, like you know. I don't know why. The reason I say pet peeve is because it's not a big deal. I know what they mean when I say it, but I just don't know why they can't communicate it like you would in any other setting, Like.
Speaker 2: I don't think about it that much. And it's maybe it's probably because it's one of those things where I've never thought about what they're saying. I'm just curious on what they're going to report. And I have other pet peeves obviously, but it's that's interesting that that's one of yours.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's there's many of them when it comes to things that do not matter that other people wouldn't even notice. But you know, I'm weird like that, all right. So years ago this would have been really weird and just crazy, and it still is kind of that. However, with the ever changing landscape within college athletics, I guess it really isn't that big of a surprise to see Pitbull, the you know, entertainment mogul, decide to pony up a bunch of money to help Florida International University Football FIU football because Pitbull has purchased the naming rights to FIU's stadium, which will now be Pitbull Stadium, and a five year, six million dollar deal. So as part of the agreement, Pitbull mister Worldwide, mister three to ZH five, he will pay FAU one point two million dollars annually and with that he'll additionally be named the official entrepreneur of FIU Athletics. And he'll love the opportunity to use the stadium for up to ten days each year without paying for it. Like that alone pays for the I mean, like, I don't know what he's gonna do if he's gonna have the pit Bull Music Festival. But like, if you have, if you can use this not even know anything about the stadium, but it's a stadium where a college football team plays in Miami, So even if it's a dump, it's probably got a lot of space. And if you can use an event venue like that, and you know, you don't have to pay to use it, I mean you could sell tickets. I mean, you could make make all your money back. And Pitbull seems to be somebody that would be able to do that given his you know, his fame and his success in the entertainment world. But also he's gonna include uh, the deal also includes provisions for Pitbull to create an FIU anthem about that.
Speaker 2: I can't even imagine what that would I mean, actually, that's that's stupid. Every pit Bull song kind of sounds the same, so I can't imagine what it would sound like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but we're gonna be panther fans first moment this year?
Speaker 1: Is it really?
Speaker 3: I wish it was at So apparently he's got his own vodka brand and it's a Volley three h five Voda. They'll be able to sell that.
Speaker 1: It games.
Speaker 3: He's gonna have two suites for up to forty people at all football games. And uh yeah, they're set to open up the newly named pit Bull Stadium against Central Michigan on September the seventh. So shout out uh to pit Bull. I will say this about Pitbull. He is somebody that I think really does care about Miami, the community and FIU, which is you know, I mean, it doesn't get the same it's not the same brand as you know, the you although the U is in Coral Gables, I mean that's technically Miami, but like kind of not. But here's uh, here's mister worldwide on the on the big big news announcement today down at fa f IU and.
Speaker 4: What we're doing and here is groundbreaking. It's we're making history. This is history in the making. You're gonna see that. Every other university's gonna want to do the same thing. But the difference is we don't do this for propaganda. We do it from the heart. We do it because it's meaningful. We do it because I'm from the crib. I'm three h five, I'm from the bottom. This is my my backyard. And when I say Miami is ours and I'm on the stage because not because I didn't graduate from FIU. I grat you from high school, to be honest with you, but music was my escape and it allowed me to invest into education and give kids an opportunity that maybe I didn't have, but be able to look at those kids and go, hey, the same way, they ain't believing in y'all. To a certain extent, they ain't believe in me. But it took one person, a teacher, and her name was Hope, And when I was hopeless, she gave me hope and all she told me was I believe in you. So I want to say thank you to FIU for believing in me and believing in this movement, believing in the three or five at this level, because I promise you we're gonna take it to a whole another level like we always do, but for the right reasons. And I just want to make sure that we inspire, motivate the community, the culture, and let everybody know that here in the United States of America, it's true. Freedom isn't free. Freedom can get ugly because you got to fight for it, but freedom is priceless. So to be on this stage is just to motivate everybody out there, and let you know that if you put your mind to it and you got creative minds around you, you can get anything done.
Speaker 3: And that's why so shut out to Pitbull. I mean, that makes me want to go play for pit Bull. Let him coach the team down there at i if IU, which maybe they would like if he kept giving him money, because every school is going to need money. I don't know if you'll see an entertainer be the stadium sponsor for other college football programs just because you know, the amount of money that he's paying is very It's not a lot, to be honest with you, like that, for a for a stadium rights deal, that's not a whole lot of money. Now for them, you know, maybe it's a lot. I mean, clearly FIU, we know they're not an upper echelon program by any means. In fact, I only know of them. I mean I know of them, but when I think of them, I think of when they came in here and beat Louisville with Charlie Strong's second team. I think it was maybe third team, and it's because they had t Y Hilton. But anyways, we'll get into this a little bit more in the four o'clock hour because the money that has already been coming into college athletics in recent years really for a long time with corporate sponsorships that kind of stuff. I mean, it's really been a lucrative business for a long long time. But now players are going to get a piece of the pie. We know that, right, and they have, but they haven't recently. What I mean by that is like players getting INIL money is not them getting a piece of the pie. That's just them being allowed to make money. And they should be able to make money if somebody wants to give them money. Nobody should say that they can't. But now with the recent settlement, now the players are literally going to be you know, compensated by the university, and they're also going to get NIEL money on top of that. And NIL money has always been used since its existence as a way to get players to either decide to come to your school or decide to stay at your school and not go to the portal. I mean, that's what it is. I mean, there are some occasional innil deals that you see that really are not about some kind of big lucrative thing. It's just, you know, it is creative and it does make sense for the advertiser to get involved in partner. But when it comes to the big dollar deals that lead to somebody going from this school to that school via the portal, there's not a whole lot of return on set investment from this big anil package. It's just because that's what you have to do now. So in the four o'clock hour we'll discuss more about this. Because again, earlier today, the NCUBLEA put out their annual manual. It's the twenty twenty four to twenty five Division one NCAA Manual, and it finally has the new NIL bylaws that went into effect within the last week on August first. But the things that they claim are bylaws they have already been told that they're not allowed to enforce. I mean, the federal judge is already determined that they cannot enforce some of these things, which just it makes me wonder, like what are we doing with the NCAA. Who needs them? I mean, this is this is going to be such a high industry, if you want to call it. That college athletics at the top meeting the schools who do want to compete that are willing to make it work, however, they can to make sure that they are paying players just like everybody else that wants to win. Because if you're not paying players, I mean, good luck. I mean really, you probably need to get out of the business if you're not striving to win at a high level, because without the money that goes into that commitment to win at a high level, I mean, I don't want to say you're wasting your time, but kind of wasting your time. So we'll get into that a little bit later, but let's get to our next break. We'll come back on the other side wrap up at three o'clock hour, and some good news earlier today for those of you, I guess I should say those of us that were like me and worried that we may no longer see Charles Barkley gracing our television because of this NBA T and T stuff. But it sounds like Chuck's not retiring. But I have a question, without the NBA being with Turner, what's he gonna do? All right, stick around, it's coffee and company. We are feel about Thorton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. You know, I gotta be honest with you, John I'd never thought of it, but you were absolutely correct. Every Pitbull song seems to sound exactly the same.
Speaker 2: You're all about partying and having a good time in Miami, and it's yeah, this is a good time. But they do all sound the same.
Speaker 3: Good vibes for sure, but yeah, they're they're kind of all the same. But anyways, it is coffee and company. We are feel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you guys hanging out with us. And I know the NBA media rights deal is probably not a big topic for those of you that aren't that interested in, you know, the NBA, but it really is crazy to see how much differently you're going to be consuming the NBA compared to you know, if you're somebody that watched it regularly, you know you'll still be able to get to it, but you know, there's going to be a lot more networks involved than we're previously involved as far as airing actual games. And right now, you've got this Warner Brothers Discovery press release that came out looks like within the last couple of hours, but it's announcing that Charles Barkley is continued to the company and is going to honor his contract and not leave. There's been a lot of folks assuming he would retire with the NBA seemingly no longer having any interest or any relationship with TNT, which of course is under the Warner Brothers umbrella. So look, this is good Charles Barkley. I don't know. I mean, I don't think you can recreate what the TNT crew has with inside the NBA. Charles Barkley, Ernie Johnson, Kenny the jet Shack's been a great addition. They have some other people occasionally involved, but Charles Barkley is the guy. And I can't really put into words as to why Charles Barkley is so entertaining, because it's not as if, you know, he's doing stand up sets on a TV show, right he I just think he's so genuinely him and is one of those people that will say whatever the hecky once and there are things he can say and get away with that others might get in trouble for saying. But you know, the thought of him no longer being a big voice on the NBA and what happens within the association is just odd to think about. But I mean, what are they what are they gonna do with him? Like cause, in the latest with the Warner Brothers dispute with the NBA, they're claiming they're going to sue the NBA because of some kind of I don't know what. It turns turns out the NBA would preferred to work with Amazon over TNT. And I thought that to be kind of odd because I would think that the NBA would see Charles Barkley as a very valuable like he you know, he will bring more he will bring more coverage to your league because he's that big of a star in the in you know, not only just in sports media, but in everything. So you would think that like they would see a beneficial relationship there, but they preferred to not go with them. They'd rather go with Amazon. And when you read you know, barkley statement on the whole thing, as well as the press release stuff that came out from for Warner Brothers, who again owns TNT, I mean, it just sounds as if, you know, they're they're not putting fans first, and it does sound like sour grapes. However, I think they're right in that regard, like fans, you know, if in fact, Warner Brothers was willing to match whatever Amazon was going to pay, why would you not want to go with the company that you already have a relationship with, where you already have a built in audience they know to go to TNT and you have a show that is easily the most popular show covering your brand, that is the NBA, the National Basketball Association. So Moley guests and I don't think I'm a reach in here, but maybe they don't like the fact that, like those guys have that much power. I mean, you know, Charles Barkley, he gave if he was to give a strong opinion on something in the NBA, good or bad about the NBA, it's gonna get a lot of it. And to be honest with you, he's still gonna be able to do that now, it just won't be you know, on a show that is you know, after a big NBA game on TNT or at half, you know, saying something during halftime of a game. But he's finalizing a two hundred million dollar deal to not retire and stay with T and T, which is a lot of money. But had he hit the market because he could have, that was that was when this That's how this whole thing really started a life of its own. As far as what's Barkley gonna do is because he's he's already under contract with TNT, but he did have a clause in his contract that says if they don't have NBA games, he can walk. So that led to people thinking, okay, like who is which one of these networks that now has NBA games, Like NBC, what kind of money are they going to throw at Chuck? Are they going to try to create inside the NBA? But you know, call it something different obviously, and have Barkley there, and you know, have your bizarro cast of somebody to fill the role of Ernie and Shaq and Kenny, and I don't want to act like those guys don't matter at all, but Barkley is the main face and the main character, if you will, within that show because it is a show now. I actually think that Shaq and Chuck together is hilarious when they can't stop making each other laugh when they rib each other, and you can never tell or they being that serious because Shack will say some really hurtful things about Barkley not winning a ring and shit, Barkley will make fun of Shacked for being really fat at the end of his career and playing for all these random teams, just trying to not end his NBA career when he called himself shacktus when he played for the Suns and he played for the Calves. You remember that with Lebron he called himself like the big buccaneer, and then when he played with Boston the big Shamrock. Like it was all of it was all of gag at that point, but like they're great together. Ernie's great too. Ernie is you know, he stirs the drink, and Kenny is you know he's Kenny. Like if I was going to rank the importance of and I hate doing this because I'm I'm a sign. I think the most impossible question to answer is if you had to get rid of one Sinfeld character, who would it be, Because I don't think you could get rid of any of them and the show would be the same. Most people would say a Lane, but like no Elane is a huge part of it. You certainly can't say Jerry. I happen to think George Castanz is the best TV character of all time. And then Kramer. Some would say that he's the guy that's irreplaceable. So I kind of feel the same way about the Inside the NBA crew because I think all three of those, all four of those guys, they have a certain role that makes that thing magnificent. I mean, Inside the NBA with those guys is one of the best things we've ever had in sports television. And I don't even know what they're gonna do now because it doesn't look like they're gonna have any NBA right, So I guess think, I mean, could you still do the show without games? I mean, I guess you could, right, but like you're not. You're walking like when you have Inside the NBA on after a double header on a Thursday night on TNT, Like the audience is they're watching the NBA and then they get these guys. You know, would you still be able to put up, you know, pull off a show that like people got to come to you when you didn't have the games. I don't know, but if anybody could do it, it would be these guys, because that's how phenomenal that show is. All right, let's take a quick break. We'll come back on the other side with two more hours to go. In a lot to get into, so stick with us. It's coffee and Company. Philbeth Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety