Speaker 1: Lucky Land casino asking people what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 2: Lucky in line at the Delhi I.
Speaker 1: Guess ah, in my dentist's office more than once.
Speaker 3: Actually do I have to say?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: You do?
Speaker 1: In the car before my kids pta meeting?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Excuse me? What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky? I never win? And tell well, there you have it. You could get lucky anywhere playing at lucky landslots dot com. Play for free right now? Are you feeling lucky? Nope, we're not necessary boid. We're gonna bet my long eighteen plus terms and conditions of pluck se webs every details With.
Speaker 2: Lucky Land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 1: Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today. Has anyone seen the bride and groom?
Speaker 3: Sorry?
Speaker 1: Sorry, we're here. We were getting lucky in the limo and we lost track of time. No Lucky Land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than a guess registered. In that case, I pronounce you lucky.
Speaker 2: Play for free at lucky landslots dot com. Daily bonuses are waiting, no purchase necessary board. We're prohibited by long eighteen plus terms and conditions applying see website for.
Speaker 1: Lucky Land Casino asking people what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 2: Lucky in line at the Delhi I guess ah, in my dentist's office more than once.
Speaker 1: Actually do I have to say?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 5: You do?
Speaker 1: In the car before my kids pta meeting?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Excuse me? What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky? I never win? And tell well, there you have it. You could get lucky anywhere playing at Lucky landsloughts dot com play for free right now? Are you feeling lucky?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: We just necessary FOROI where we're gona be my long eighteen plus terms and conditions of plus what say you?
Speaker 4: Details?
Speaker 1: Okay? Round two? Name something that's not boring laundry, a book club, computer solitaire?
Speaker 6: Huh ah, Sorry, we were looking for Chumbuck Casino. Chum, that's right, Chumbuckcasino dot com as over one hundred casino style games joined today and play for free for your chance to redeem some serious prizes. Chum, chumbucasino dot com. Nomber sessil.
Speaker 7: You are now listening to True Murder, the most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them. Gasey, Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker BTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host journalist and author Dan Zufanski.
Speaker 8: Good Evening. Shortly after being elected President of the United States, James Garfield was shot by Charles Guiteau. But contrary to what is written in most history books, Garfield didn't linger and die. He survived. Alexander Graham Bell raced against time to invent the world's first metal detector to locate the bullet in Garfield's body so that doctors could safely operate. Despite Bell's effort to save Garfield, however, and has never before fully revealed, the interventions of Garfield's friend and doctor, doctor D. W. Bliss, brought about the demise of the nation's twentieth president. But why would a medical doctor engage in such monstrous behavior? Did politics, spetty, jealousy, or failed aspirations spark the fire inside Bliss that led him down the path of homicide? Rosen proves how depraved indifference to human life second degree murder rather than ineptitude led to Garfield's drawn out and painful death. Now more than one hundred years later, historian and homicide investigator Fred Rosen reveals, through newly accessed documents and Bell's own core respondence, the long list of Bliss's criminal acts and malevolent motives that led to his murder of the president. The book that we're featuring this evening is Murdering the President Alexander Graham Bell and the Race to Save James Garfield, with my special guest, journalist and author Fred Rosen, and great great grandson and novelist Hank Garfield. Welcome, gentlemen to the program. Thank you very much for this interview.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you for having us.
Speaker 9: This is.
Speaker 3: One of the greatest moments of my life. And I'm hey, look, how often does a dude get on a radio show with the great great grandson of the US President, who himself is a great dude, with a great Canadian dude and we get to talk about what we're going to be talking about. This is a unique experience and I don't take it for granted. Dan.
Speaker 8: Thank you very much, Fred. This is really going to be a very interesting program. I'm certain now Hank Garfield, like I mentioned, the great great grandson of the twentieth President of the United States was assassined. Well, again, we have to make sure we don't say assassinated.
Speaker 3: But was killed.
Speaker 8: So let's go back to the minute or the moment that you happen to meet Fred Rosen, and under under what circumstances in two thousand and four. So tell us about that call to Fred Rosen, Hank gars As I wrote it a forward.
Speaker 10: I'm a novelist and I had reached just recently gotten my historical novel, The Lost Woods John Cabot, had just recently been published by Simon and Schuster. And I'm sitting in my home in Belfast, me in my bathrobe, noodling on the computer as I usually do in the morning. And the phone rang and it was Fred, and we get to talking him and he introduced himself as a true crime writer who was investigating the murder of my great great grandfather, And so we get to talking about writing and this and that and the other thing, and finally Fred says, you know, you sound like a pretty normal guy. I thought I was going to get one of the Kennedy's on the phone. So I'm sitting there, you know, in my bathrobe, sipping my coffee and my house in Maine and thinking how much how much more normal can can you be? So over the course of the next several years, Fred and I talked on the phone and corresponded a lot, and there were some you know, frustrations and getting his book published. But here it is, and I was happy to write the forward.
Speaker 8: Yes, Fred, we're talking about a real long process. What was the impetus for this book? What was that where you had that idea. I'm glad to write this book because it is a little out of the norm for you. So give us that moment that it became evident that you were going to write this, And why.
Speaker 3: If I never said it before? Dan, you asked the best questions. And what happened was I was in I was in Michigan, and I was researching another book, and I came across a paper written by Alexander Graham Bell for a scientific journal. There was a paper he wrote in about eighteen eighty two, and I'm reading this paper and he talks about inventing the world's first metal detech to locate the bullet to president's body so they could operate without damaging him. And I'm sitting there and I'm thinking, excuse me, they never taught me this in school, you know. And then the other thing Dan was this and you'll get it, and you know, which is doctor Bell was writing it like he wanted somebody to investigate what happened, and you know, he was like leaving something behind, and so that really got me interested. And I didn't know anything about any of this, you know, And I mean, to me, James Garfield was a cipher and so I started looking into it, and it took another fourteen years to you know, of you know, this snat, to finally get a publisher to publish the book, and in the process, I discovered that he that James garf you know, unlike what has been reported by the popular press, not only was James Garfield not assassinated, he was deliberately murdered by his doctor, Willard Bliss. And I found all the evidence, and Bell left a lot of it behind, you know, And I felt, as I went along in this whole process, that he was leaving it behind for somebody to find it. And I just happened to be the dude, you know what I mean, And that was it, you know, and I put it together, and you know, I was finally lucky enough to get a publisher that was willing to publish this because in other books that have been published about James Garfield, they claimed that it was a lack of sepsist that led to his death. That's not true. It's just not true. And you know, because of the fact that I was not only an historian, but a homicide investigated just like you are, I was able to get into it. And in the process, as I became friendly with Hank and we became friends, it became personal. You know, I mean, this is my friend's great great granddaddy. You know what I mean. I mean, how am I supposed you know, I gotta do something about this? So I did.
Speaker 8: Now, Hank, when we mentioned it was very funny, and you talk about it in the book as well. You talk about Fred initially calling you and saying, oh, Jesuz, it's not really normal. I thought I might get to Kennedys. So you guys weren't the Kennedy's, but you did have a big family, and obviously, as we find out in this book, there was quite an influence personally, politically, professionally. So tell us what well that influence was. What did your family tree look like in terms especially politically, But tell us a little bit about the family after James Garfield.
Speaker 10: Sure, well, when I was growing up, you know, it was I mean, I'm not sure when I when I first knew that, you know, I had a president in my ancestry, but pretty early in my life.
Speaker 9: But it was never really talked about.
Speaker 10: You know, it certainly wasn't a topic of dinner table conversation. You know, yeah, it's a great great grandson of a president, but uh, and and he did that. The president did have four sons, and they all had sons and so and and.
Speaker 9: And daughters as well. But there are a lot of Garfields.
Speaker 10: Around the country, uh that that I haven't even met, and and so so. So it is a large family. But you know, it wasn't really a topic of discussion. And what I what I've learned about the specifics of his shooting and death really came after after high school, you know, later later in life, when I started reading about it and I started delving into it a little bit more. But it wasn't anything that you know, I mean, yeah, I grew up with it, and I remember my father got mad at me one time for trying to get into a high school basketball game but I didn't have the money for admission, and say, I said something like, you're turning away the great great grandson of a president, and rightfully, my father, you know, upbraided me for it, because you know, it's just being an arrogant teenager. But uh so, so as far as my day to day life went, being the descendant of a president was no big deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It's pretty interesting though, isn't it.
Speaker 10: Well, yeah, I mean it was. It's it's a has been an interesting footnote.
Speaker 9: In my life.
Speaker 10: And you know, people ask me, well, are you related to the president? And you know, I've had the experience on a few occasions where where somebody will say, well, are you related to the president and I'll say, well, yes, I'm his great great grandson and they'll respond no way, to which I just laughed and said, well you asked me, I mean, you know, but so. But but you know, as far as my day to day life, until I got interested in the topic of his death and what could have been, you know, what could have been is an interesting topic because you know, when I read Fred's book, and I started reading and and and some other things, and I started reading about the mistreatment that he suffered at the hands of his doctor. I got mad. I mean, I know it happened one hundred and forty years ago, but you know, it made me angry. And you know, I was surprised that there is that immediacy to my reaction, because he could have been He was a very learned, incapable man, and he could have been a great president.
Speaker 9: And that was just cut short man.
Speaker 3: May I add dan that James Garfield was in the same I don't know if category is the right word, but he was in the same category as Thomas Jefferson in terms of being one of our most brilliant presidents. This guy and not only that, Oh my god, he You know what I got into when I wrote the book was, you know, I knew that I had to write about him, not just when he got shot, but before, because nobody knew who the dude was, so I was able to find out and this was all, you know, pretty common knowledge. This guy was one of the bravest Americans that ever existed, and during the Civil War he rode under enemy fire. It's a really cool. It's my favorite scene in the book. He rode under enemy fire to save the army. We had two armies, the Army of the Potomac and the Army of the Ohio. He rode under enemy fire, to say, the Army of the Ohio at the Battle of Chickamaugua in Georgia, and they were the Confederates were shooting at this dude. And when he got to where he had to go, his horse collapsed from bullet wounds. I mean, you can't make this stuff up, you know. And I, you know, Hank and I have discussed about what would have happened in history had James and I prefer I like to call him James, So Hank and I we called him Jack for a long time, you know, like the teen the show. Yeah, but we don't want to get we don't want to give a a a plug. Donald Bellisario produced the show. But that's another story. But here's the thing. Here's the thing. This guy was willing to live, to give up his life to save the Union. He was willing to do this to make sure that African Americans were free. And you know what, as I'm writing this, I'm going, where are these people. This guy was cool, you know, I mean, you know, you know, if this was a different age, Steve McQueen would be playing them, you know what I mean. Uh, he was just.
Speaker 10: At the piercing blue eyes.
Speaker 9: He could play.
Speaker 3: Him exactly, thank you, you know. And you know, but as I got into this, the other thing I realized was that Dan, which was that I felt that not only was Hank relying on me to tell the truth about what happened, So it was James Garfield because and I've talked to you about this on your show. I speak for the dead and that's my job. And here was a wonderful, wonderful president. This is a guy who saved lives. You know. Here we are in the middle of a campaign right now in America the president, and nobody's talking about she who saved lives. Well, James Garfield did. And I might add he was a Republican.
Speaker 10: Well, we're not going to day when Republicans were reasonable.
Speaker 3: Well exactly, you know, and and and exactly Hank, and you know, so it's it's you know, but the thing that really got me, Dan is just that all of this stuff has gotten lost and that really bugs me. You know what I mean it's like it's.
Speaker 8: Obviously we're dealing with a different we're we're dealing with different people, So maybe it was a more reasonable time. Obviously we're this country is our country. The whole world's a little bit out of control, if you think in terms of and in terms of the kind of things, the kind of bravery that James Garfield, the kind of the the effort he put into being a you know, a war strategist, a president bucking his own system, as you're right in there, bucking his own system. He he really didn't make it himself popular within his own party because he had these ethics. He had this thing that he didn't want the bribery involved with the postal service, so he stood up to people in his own party. So again, very unusual, I mean unusual period. So this was a remarkable man. Now what I found was amazing is then early on there is the chance circumstance that doctor Bliss who eventually becomes a doctor, but at that time he's just d Willard Bliss, and twenty year old Dames Garfield is just a guy that well he was born in a log cabin, so very much like this Abe Lincoln kind of thing. He came from humble roots, and at twenty years old he wasn't so successful. So Fred tell us what he was doing at twenty years old? And how did he meet doctor or pardon me, d Willard Bliss.
Speaker 3: No, he said it correctly. Will We should explain. That was one of the things. By the way, when we wrote the book is for some reason he was named doctor do O k T E R. And then he later changed it, so his doctor doctor Willard Bliss, you know what I mean. And you know, so we had to change it. And what happened was James Garfield was about oh twenty twenty one, and he was he was he was walk walking walking to the Western Eclectic Institute in Ohio, and he had some money in his pocket, you know, in a wallet. He put the you know, and he took off. It was a hot day, so he took off the jacket that he was wearing and the the the wallet fell out of the pocket. When he realized that, he retraced the steps and he finds some dude holding the wallet, and it was Willard Bliss, and they introduced each other and they became at that moment friends, and Bliss gave him back the wallet, and then Garfield went to school and Bliss went to Grand Rapids, Michigan, which he was on his way to relocate. And at that point they you know, they had like a friendship, but they didn't. It wasn't like they kept in contact until much much later on. However, Willet Bliss was associatepath and so what he did was he leveraged his association with James Garfield eventually to help him in his career. And this guy turned out to be the name of this show is true Murder with Dan Zupanski. This guy turned out to be one of the worst his I've ever covered because he used his association with James Garfield and subsequently his association with Abraham Lincoln to make money even though he was the worst piece of you know what you could possibly imagine? Did I say that? Well?
Speaker 8: Sure, now let's take us back to because this story is just amazing. The the the cast of real characters in this is got Abraham Lincoln and John Wilkes, Booth and Custer and wyatt ierp and like you say, Bat Masterson and everybody, Oh God ever think of God and God bless you.
Speaker 3: Danfer mentioning all of them, Thank you, sir, keep.
Speaker 8: Going and and and just if there is a slice of American history that people would want to read about that would find fascinating that they think they know something about. I mean, everybody's in this in this book. They're in there, every important figure that you ever could think of. And especially again just rewriting history here. So why is it important? Again, it's fascinating. We have Abraham Lincoln's assassination and his presidency, and some of the work that he did is in this book. But introduce how this doctor Bliss becomes involved with Abraham Lincoln and subsequently the story of assassination.
Speaker 3: Okay, all I want to say is if I started sounding like Sammy Davis here and here, just not me, because Sammy used to you know, he used to like kiss write, But that's not me. The thing is what happened was doctor Bliss was from was from Michigan, at least that's where he wound up going to and a senator from Michigan got him a gig as the dude who would form and become the head of Armory Square Hospital on the National Mall, a vet's hospital. Do they call it Dan? Do they call that? Do they call it in Canada vet's hospital.
Speaker 8: No, we don't have a specific veteran's hospital.
Speaker 3: Nomb okay. So this was like a vet's hospital on the mall. And so in other words, it's down the block from the White House, and and and so like Bliss is the head dude, and Lincoln would show up, you know, in those days, the President would just show up, I guess, you know, and he sort of tour the wards and so forth and so on. And that's why I was able to get in some information regarding with men who was one of the aides in the war. Anyway, long story short, this is where it really gets interesting. Bliss thought he was an inventor, and Lincoln with finances inventions, and they all failed. And so what happened was eventually the President Lincoln, you know, went to Ford's Theater was shot by John Willis Boot And it happened that by coincidence, Charles Leal, a doctor from Yonkers, New York, was there, and Leo worked for Bliss at the at the hospital. So after, you know, after they treated Lincoln on the spot, they moved him across the street to uh to Pyrson's boarding house, and then they summoned various doctors to come in out. So what does he do. He summons his boss, who's Willard Bliss. Will get this. This is the one part that's really interesting. Bliss was supposed to be a surgeon. And in those days, what they did was when they tried to find the bullet in a person's body, and then we're talking eighteen sixty five, they used a wire to which was attached a piece of porcelain. It was called a neloton probe, and when they put it into the wound, if it touched the bullet, the porcelain would turn green. Well, for some reason, doctor Leo would not allow his boss to even touch President Lincoln. Somebody else did it, another doctor, you know, stay and I'm looking at this, and I'm going, what's this about? You know? And that got me into continuing to look at what Bliss's record was subsequently after President Lincoln died, and what I discovered was that he used his association with Lincoln's assassination to help propel his medical career, even though he never treated him. And subsequently, in the eighteen seventies, doctor Bliss claimed he had a cure for cancer, which even in those days people said, this is a bunch of crap. That's when I knew I was dealing with a criminal.
Speaker 8: That cancer cure, though, like you say, even today would be scrutinized and probably most people be totally skeptical. What was the what was the initial reaction for that cancer cure and what happened afterwards?
Speaker 3: Well, what happened was the initial reaction was that something you know, some keep of course, people who had cancer, they were like, oh my god, if somebody's got a cure. But our friends at the New York Times covered it. It's a little available online, and what they discovered was that none of it worked. And what it was was it was Bliss claimed that the it was Conderango. That was the name of it, and I hope I've pronounced it correctly. It was a bark from a tree in South America, and Bliss claimed that this bark could cure cancer. Dull, you know, and he tried to market it very successfully, and it was marketed and people, you know, brought into this sham and again there's you know, there's there's nothing unusual here. You know, you're talking to the guy whose first true crime book was Doctor from Al You know. So this was a doctor from l so he claimed that he found a cure for cancer, and people brought into it though there was no really objective reporting on this, including from the New York Times. Sorry, you know, they were my first job out of graduate school. So the left and I want to do his criticize the Times, but there is going back eighteen, you know, seventy something, you know, and the bottom line is that you know, he he get a lot of money off you know, like any Charlottan would.
Speaker 8: Right, Hank. I wanted to ask you in nineteen eighty eight, as you write in the book, you wrote a piece about the Republican Convention of eighteen eighty So what did you tell us about the rise of your father or a great great grandfather? Pardon me? Politically it wasn't an easy route, and so tell us about the circumstances that.
Speaker 10: You know about in your own you mentioned something that Garfield was not necessarily he's somewhat at odds with his own political party, which he came to be the nominee in eighteen eighty as a result of a badly split Republican convention. There were two factions in the Republican Party there were the stalwarts who were loyal to former president and Civil War hero Ulysses S. Grant, and there were the half breeds whose candidate was James G. Blaine of Maine. And there was a third candidate from Ohio, sort of a favorite son candidate from Ohio named John Sherman. And Grant had been out.
Speaker 3: Of office for four years.
Speaker 10: He'd served two terms as president. There's been a lot of patronage and a lot of corruption in his administration, but he'd gone off for four years and was still a very popular figure and was seeking a third term. And the half breed faction that wanted to reform the patronage system was backing Blaine and was very much opposed to Grant getting a third term.
Speaker 9: And so the.
Speaker 10: Convention went through thirty six ballots, and Garfield was sort of well known as a congressman. He'd been a congressman after the Civil War. He had gone into Congress from Ohio, and on the thirty sixth ballot, the convention turned to him as a compromised candidate, and all the all the half breeds and the people who'd been supporting Sherman, they sort of marshaled forces against the Stalwarts and uh gave Garfield the votes to to become the nominee, and which eventually led to him getting shot.
Speaker 9: By Charles Guiteau.
Speaker 10: Because Charles Guiteau was a he he was he was mentally ill, but he was also uh had he had delusions that he that he he that he was qualified for a political appointment and and Garfield told him no. But uh so, So Garfield was a compromised candidate between these two factions, and the the vice presidential nominee was kind of a political hack for the stalwarts. Chester Arthur he was I think he ran the port of New York and so he was put on the ticket to kind of unify the party. And he chose first words when he shot my great great grandfather or something along the lines of I am a Stalwart and Arthur.
Speaker 9: Will be president.
Speaker 10: So the whole shooting came out of this very contentious Republican convention which nominated my.
Speaker 9: Great great grandfather.
Speaker 8: Now how does again, how do Fred how does Bliss end up anywhere involved with this other than it's his friend? But also give us the details on it wasn't just Bliss, there was other people there and this was very this was serious. So how did they proceed and how did Bliss proceed? We've kind of drawn pick to a little but about his character being a charlatan. So how does he proceed and how do things proceed?
Speaker 3: Before I answer that question, can I just say that a lot of people that interview you when you write a book and never read the book, you're different.
Speaker 9: Uh too, You're you're very dead.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, I'm gonna tell you the answer. What happens is it's really something. When Abraham Lincoln gets hut, they call Charles Leo is the first doctor on the scene because he's he showed he's right at he's there when uh uh John Wills boots she's the president. And so when they when when they move him across the street, you know, to take a look at what's going down, you know, and how he is. He calls in his boss at Armory Square Hospital, who's Willard Bliss. Willard Bliss shows up, but his word gets really interesting. He doesn't let Willard Blyss touch the president when it came time to explore for the bullet, and the President said, this surgeon general does it. And I'm going, what's this about? You know? Se go a little bit forward, you know. And what happens is Bob Lincoln, who is the President's son, he's not around while his daddy is getting treated because hey man, it's like really upsetting. But he knows about Willard Blyss. And so when fade out, fade in, when James Garfield is shot, it happens that Bob link And is the President's Secretary of the War. I was about to say defense, but it was, you know, different, And so he he summons the same dude that treated his dad. But he doesn't realize that his dad was never treated by Bliss. So Bliss shows up, and Bliss has already had all these problems, you know, up and down as far as his reputation, and he's already been found to this dude. Bliss ran the other way at bull Run. Okay, he he was a coward and he but he managed to use the right political influence to get him out of it. But nobody knew this. So the bottom line is Bob Lincoln summons him as secretary of War to treat Jams Garfield and as soon as Bliss goes up control. That's the operative part of this.
Speaker 10: Can I just jump in and add something here?
Speaker 3: Yes, sir, okay, because because I mean.
Speaker 10: You should be pointed out that there were two different, two very different wounds, that that Abraham Lincoln really was mortally wounded. He was shot in the head, whereas James Garfield was shot in the back and and and at the time, you know, we're less than twenty years out from the Civil War, and there's there are all kinds of Civil War veterans walking around with bullets in them and they're fine. And and you know, the body in cases a bullet if it's not in a mortal area. Uh So, the bottom line is that if his if he had not been treated.
Speaker 9: At all, he would have left.
Speaker 10: If his doctors, if blissed, his doctors had done nothing to James Garfield, he would have lived.
Speaker 3: With The correct term is the bullet had insisted thank you, thank you. Yeah. Oh look, you know, uh, you know, I realized we're talking very seriously and we're supposed to be selling books. But the bottom line is he's a Red Sox fan on the next fan and we both ag reading that shouldn't have won the World Series in eighty six. Okay, I got it in, I got it in, I got it in tangent.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's all right. The Red Sox eventually won. You know, yes, that was that was a horrible, horrible, horrible world series though I.
Speaker 3: Did, but there was very you know something. Then. The thing that really gets me about it is just the fact that this kindness was as good a con man as any one. I okay, and.
Speaker 8: I just missed that, Fred, Fred, we just I did not with you just said sorry, okay.
Speaker 3: I said that Bliss was as good a corn man as any of us have ever encountered. All right, that's it, bottom line, he was. This guy was incredible.
Speaker 8: Before we go on and talk about the specifics, and again, it's great that Hank knows these specifics too about because that's really the big part of the story and the reason why history book is being rewritten now. History is being rewritten now with this because it's not as simple as a bullet going in a body, Like you say, guys are walking around with these bullets even at that time, So what did happen? But before we do that, Fred, let's introduce because there's another very important character in this book, to say the least, Alexander Graham Bell. Now he's born in Canada in the United States and he's a bona fide inventor. So how does he come what is he doing around this time? And what's his influence and what's his thatcher and what is he working on? Before James Garfield is shot, step.
Speaker 5: Into the world of power, loyalty and luck.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse.
Speaker 5: With family, canoli's and spins mean everything.
Speaker 1: Now you want to get mixed up in the family.
Speaker 5: Business, Introducing the Godfather at Champa Casino dot com. Test your luck in the shadowy world at the Godfather slot.
Speaker 4: Someday I will call upon you to do a service for me.
Speaker 5: Play the Godfather now at Champacasino dot com.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Family vdW group.
Speaker 3: No perts necessary. I believe were privateed by loss he Terms and Conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 2: With the Lucky Land slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 4: It's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's fine, but we're just gonna circle up here a while and get lucky. Oh no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick. So I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting.
Speaker 2: Lucky play for free Lucky landslipes dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No, we're just necessary void. We're prohibited by law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply to the website for details.
Speaker 3: What a great question. What happens is Alexander Graham Bell immigrates, immigrates rather excuse me, immigrates to Canada with his parents in the early eighteen seventies, and he winds up not too far from you, someplace in Toronto, Okay. And his daddy is a speech teacher. He teaches the death and he has a system of communicating this is wonderful stuff with the death. And so Alexander Graham Bell gets into this stuff. And simultaneous to this, he winds up going down to you know, he gets in tight with some dude in Leland who is dad he is friends with. And this guy's got a daughter, Mabel Gardner, Mabel Wardner, who is a who's deaf, and so Alexander Graham Bell, who by the way, always looked older. I love this part. When I read it, Prispell talked about it. Dude, he had his beard, you know, and he's one of those people with the beard who looked older and he knew it. Well. He winds up going down to Boston and he's with this millionaire dude and he's educating his seventeen year old daughter, Mabel, and he falls in love with her. But he but he's like, oh man, he's ten years older or something like that, you know what I mean. And it's so fascinating because I didn't know any of this. Like what happens is Bell, he doesn't have any money. Gee, that's not something I can relate to, duh. And he decides, amen, I got to get the money to marry this girl. So you know what he does. He decides to try to invent a method of communicating by telegraph two ways is opposed to one way, and he tries to sell that and it does. And what happens is it turns out that some big shot in New York is working with another dude on this and he tries to steal his idea and Alexander Graham Bell, I mean, Dan, this dude's in action hero. He basically tells this guy, f you okay, And eventually what happens is he decides to work on the phone, communicating through a phone you know, you know, and he decides to do that, and that's where to me it really gets interesting because it turns out that, as I point out in the book, the day that he will showcase or introduce his invention the telephone at the Philadelphia Exposition June twenty fifth, eighteen seventy six, simultiney, George Armstrong Custer is riding down into the Little Bighorn Valley to his eventual destiny. And George Custer is in the book earlier when he was a courier. Yes, sir, he was a courier. By the way, we're I haven't mentioned this to you, Hank, but we're Our agent is sending out the proposal. So I proposed putting Chris Hemsworth in as as as a cust my agent, and my agent goes, Fred, is this a superhero flip? I said, yeah, you know, but seriously, seriously, here's what happened. So, you know, it's fascinating stuff to me, you know, because they don't teach any of this stuff at school, and I don't know why, but you know, Bell is you know. It turns out that there was another dude who was trying to rip him off at the time in terms of his invention. And while this is happening, you know, Garfield's wife and I cut back and forth in the book is proceeding alongster line, and James is the head dude in Congress in the House of Representatives, and Ulysses Grand who is not the nicest guy in the world, I might head sends him to Montana to make a treaty with the Salish Indians also known as the flat At Indians. And on the way there he passes a group of dudes doing a buffalo hunt and in that group are Fat Masterson and why Europe And that got me into this, you know, getting into you know, how Americans treated Native Americans. And I discovered that back in the eighteen thirties when Congress passed the Indian Removal Act. I don't think parliament Dan would ever do this, Okay, But Congress passed the Indian Removal Act and they took all the Indians from the East Coast. They moved them over to what became Oklahoma, also known as Indian Territory. And there was only one representative in Congress that spoke up against it, Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier, Okay, And I think that is fascinating stops, you know what I mean. And isn't it interesting when you find out that heroes you've grown up with on TV and so forth were real, let alone, they really believed in what they did. And James Garfield goes out to Montana and he's up against the wall. If he doesn't make a deal with the Indians, they need to move him from one reservation to another. If they don't do it, Custer's gonna come in and shoot him. And James makes the deal. And that's what gets me about this about Hank's great great granddaddy, you know. And as we're talking, I'm sitting here and I'm thinking to myself, oh my god, thank God to James Garfield, because without him, Hank's not here, you know, And I mean it, and you know, you know, this is real stuff to me. Dan, you know what I'm saying. I don't have to tell you what it means to work with people who are whose family have been victimized by murder.
Speaker 8: Now let's get back to James Harfield and doctor Bliss, because one person, because they have this long friendship and of course, like you pointed out, that he's manipulated the situation and parlayed his influence even though he's not a qualified surgeon. And that's why these people aren't letting him do anything if they can help it. But Abra, pardon me, Alexander Graham Bell, while being somewhat naive at certain times, is a little more skeptical of this doctor Bliss. So tell us how he becomes involved. We alluded to it. We talked about the first metal detector. It's incredible, the first metal detector.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 8: So tell us what Graham Bell's motivation was and tell us first the event where James Garfield is shot again. We talked about this insane Charles Guittau. But tell us about the event and tell us about what his condition was. We talked, Hank talked about a bullet being in a body is not necessarily a death sentence, So correct what became circumstances that? Tell us about that.
Speaker 3: I just have one quick question though, before I answer. Are you a Blue Jays fan? Yes, Hank, I'm gonna leave that to you afterwards.
Speaker 10: Okay, that socks are chasing the blue Jays right now? Here's not very well.
Speaker 3: But here's what happens. James Garfield goes to the in eighteen eighty one, in July of eighteen eighty one, he goes to this. In other days, they had like a railroad spur in the middle of Washington, DC. And he's going to get on the you know, he's gonna get on the railroad and he's going to go back. His wife is in New Jersey for this summer, okay, dall, you know, sort of like what the people do today, and he's going to go back, you know, let see his wife. And then he's going to go north to Massachusetts where he went to school, and he's going to go to a school union. Well, Charles Gateau was was a what today we would call a a not as sociopath, not a psychopath help me out, guys, yeah, thank you, schizophrenic exactly. And so what happens is because of the fact that this, you know, this is in those days. If you worked for a president now it's only eighteen eighty one, it's not that long ago. It's eight you know, it's by tank seven, maybe one hundred and thirty years ago. Well, if you worked for president and you know, you would be able to get an audience with the dude and say, oh, give me a job so good Toe shows up at the White Houses to the President, give me a job, and the President says, take a walk, basically.
Speaker 10: Because it's actually James Blaine who turned him away and said, don't ever show up here.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, exact, thank you. What we got to change that in the next version of the book. And and then what happens is good Toe starts today what we would call stalking him and he's gonna first he's gonna shoot him someplace where he's with his wife who craty ship, but he decides not to because he doesn't want to looksetter. Bottom line is he winds up showing you know, James goes to this to the railroad station in eighteen eighty one in July, Goodteau meets him in the in the railroad station, comes out of some waiting room and shoots him twice, and with the second bullet does the first bullet doesn't do any damage, the second goes into his back, and nobody knows at that point it's been safely what we would call today safely insisted. He goes down and at that point Putou gets arrested. Garfield gets taken to the White House for treatment, at which point. Another dude on the scene is Bob Lincoln. I call him Bob because that's what his daddy called him. Bob is the Secretary of War, and he calls in various doctors to treat the president, including Willard Bliss, who had treated his daddy. But he doesn't know Willard Blisz didn't touch him. So Bliss comes in. And at this point Blisz has and has had a hard time because in the eighteen seventies he was trying to promote his cancer cure, which everybody said was a bunch of crap. And now he's got a chance to make a lot of money and become really famous and say, you know what he does, Dan, he makes sure that he is the head physician. He takes control and nobody else is releasing medical bulletins but him. Oh my god, you know, it's like you know, and and because of the fact that he knew Garfield from years before, people think the guy's cool. Nobody realized and the President him, yes, well, you know, as you know, as you're saying that, Hank, I'm thinking, I'm sitting here and I'm thinking to myself, oh man, you know, this is my friend's great great granddaddy, you know, and you know the press, you know, But it looks any of us could be conned. Let's face that I've been I've been coned, you know, and we've all been conned. And then you ever met gone.
Speaker 8: Yeah once, ye know.
Speaker 3: So here's the thing. What I'm getting at is that Bliss takes control and this guy releases I mean, it's really interesting he releases these bulletins to the press, and you know, it's really in a sense, there's no difference then as opposed to now. They just take it at face value, you know what I mean. Nobody digs and you know, and he says, well, the guy is like this, and the guy's like that, and meanwhile, here's what's happening. He doesn't tell anybody this. He takes the Nelton probe, which I mentioned earlier, the piece of wire with a piece of porcelain on its tip, puts it into the wound and guess what he's exploring for the bullet without using anesthesia. So he's torturing the president. Now, a lot of other historians have talked about the lack of sepsis, that's not what killed President Garfield. And that's the whole point of the book, and his time goes on. In the next couple of months, Bill Bliss continues to do this, and then Alexander Graham Bell reads about this, God bless him, and he's up in Boston, and you know what he does, Dan, He says, you know, there's got to be a way to you know, look for this bullet without you know, just exploring for it, without you know, going through healthy tissue, you know, cutting it up. That's when he comes up with the idea to use magnets and so forth for an invention. He calls the induction balance to locate the bullet in the president's body, and he subsequently uses it on clinical trials with civil War veterans and in every single case he can locate the bullet every case. And then he gets summoned to the White House finally by Bliffs, to explore for the bullets in the president's body.
Speaker 8: Now, what happens with this, This is a public demonstration. And like you said, mentioned before that Bliss, regardless of not having any success with his cancer cure or any of his other ideas, why does this experiment that worked in these trials, why did it not work?
Speaker 7: Again?
Speaker 8: I guess I gave it away. Why did it not work? And what did Alexander Green Bell do as a result or how did he feel as a result. Tell us about this scene again. This is a very profound scene trying to save the president. Here's an inventor, here's his friend and doctor take us back into that.
Speaker 3: You know what, only with you will I give it away. Here's what happens. You know, And as I'm talking to you, I'm thinking to myself, a great grandson is on the phone. Okay, I know you know this story, but you know what I know. You know this story, Hank, but it just kisses me off. Here's what happens, Doctor Bliss. I'm sorry, doctor Bell, because alex he had a pH d. Bell sends a and I found this out. This is really cool. Bell sends a, uh non a text. I was gonna say text, but the telegram. The telegram he sends it. He sends a telegram to the way Dan and he tells Bliss get rid of any metal around the president because what I have here is a medal detector. Okay. So now Be shows up at the White House with a guy named Painter who is his assistant and he's ready to use this invention to find a bullet, just like he did with all these other individuals. And guess what happened. Bliss won't let him use the invention. He decides he's going to do it himself. And he claims the bullet is, let's say, on the left as opposed to the right, and he's so egotistical he doesn't want anybody to get credit for finding the bullet where it isn't. Well, the next thing, you know, doctor Bell is using the invention and only here, you know, there's a bell attached to it. And the idea is that when the bell rains, that's where the bullet is. Well, all of a sudden, there's all this this interference, and so he goes back to his you know where he you know, in Washington, where he's got his headquarters, and he says, I don't understand this, and he tries it again on other individuals and it works, and I don't know, maybe a couple of weeks later, and he's and he's corresponding with his wife the entire time. All his correspondence is in the Library of Congress in the United States. And now he goes back a second time, and he tries it a second time and he can't. You know, he's getting the same result all of the you know, these sounds that it doesn't make any sense, and he is what happens. Then shortly afterwards, Garfield is moved by Bliss to New Jersey to die, but Alex Bell is not giving up. He goes back to the layhouse and he finds President was laying on a mattress that had an inner spring, which screwed up the whole experiment. And he wrote about all this. And when I read all this stuff that he wrote, I realized what he was doing. He was laying the groundwork for somebody to come forward at a future date and prove that Bliss murdered the president. And I just happened to be the dude you know that picked up on this. And you know, any of us could have done it? Who are or you know, like you know you could have done it. I could have done it. Whoever, as long as you know what people familiar with murder investigations, and the real question then becomes what's the motive. Well, the answer to that one is Bliss couldn't afford to have somebody else be the dude who solved it, who rescued the president. He figured it's got to be him. It was his ego. And that's why doctor Willard Bliss is guilty of second degree murder, which in the United States is depraved indifference to human life. And my friend on the phone over there in Maine, his great great granddaddy got screwed by this guy. But we're sitting it straight right now, and that's the best I can do. You know, I can't prosecute him. I tried, by the way, I tried again. I tried. I called up a prosecutor in Washington. I said, can you prosecute a guy is dead? They said, Fred, we can't do that, right.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 10: What I what I find interesting about that whole scenario is is Bell was it was a really good scientist, and like any good scientists, he tried to he tried to eliminate, you know, he tried to to eliminate variables.
Speaker 9: He tried to you know.
Speaker 10: Uh, he questioned his own invention first, he you know, and and you find that down from history is people of ability, they questioned themselves, and he he he wanted to be make sure that the problem was not in his in his invention, which is why he did all these experiments on cadavers and living people.
Speaker 9: But so so so he was.
Speaker 10: Trying to run down potential errors. But it turns out that the error was the fact that Garfield was lying on a metal box spring. Now spent considerable time, you know, looking at his own invention. How you know what kind of ras Claire eliminade.
Speaker 8: Well, we haven't talked about to show. Also, though I mean not to disagree with Fred or you about this contention of this very malicious disagree sir. You know what I mean is I just want to I want to get a clarification that it could be. I mean, he had a huge ego, and he was a coward and he wasn't Charlatan, but he had that ego that he thought he had some good ideas even though he was a fool of a doctor. So what I wanted to illustrate is that one of these again very profound and fascinating story is is that Alexander Graham Bell is the real investigator. He's a real detective himself. He's reading missives about this ridiculous rectum feeding. So what does he get from that crazy idea about rectum feeding and the idea of of of Bliss's contention that he's gaining nutrients and nutrition via this rectum feeding.
Speaker 3: Thank may I respond to that, and then you can take.
Speaker 9: That one bred. Yeah, it's just it just grosses me out.
Speaker 3: This is well, it tisses me off more than you can imagine. If this is me chee, did I say that? You know? You know, Dan, every time we talk, I wonder, can I you know, can I use four letter words? You know? But here's the thing, Dan, what happens is back in oh, maybe the eighteen forties. I'm not looking. I'm not looking at the book. I don't know the exact year. But there's there's a doctor who is able to determine and it's pretty this is interesting stuff that uh food is processed and our stomach okay, and then it goes through the the you know, the the help me out here, guys, the the yeah, the intestines, thank you, gee, you must be a writer. And it goes through the intestines and this is established stuff in medicine. Okay, it's a book. For God's sakes. We'll get this, Dan, get this, Bliss the sides he's going you know, Garfield is like fading, duh, He's going to feed him through blood that he's going to pump up his rectum with quote unquote nutrients. Excuse me, what you know? You know this guy, this guy makes Dracula look like a good guy. And this twenty years before Bram Stoker wrote the novel. So what he does is he pumps he gets this blood that he then gets combined with broth and others crap, pumps it up the President's rector and he then claims he's feeding him, and it works because the president has, you know, a bowel movement whatever the point being, scientifically it had already been disproven. The kicker to this is that he's doing all this without anesthesia. And James Garfield was determined when he was shot that he was going to act like the president, meaning he wasn't going to chow pain. He was going to be a roic. And he did. But the guy was obviously in great discomfort subliicsius, you know, pumping this crap up his wreck them blah blah blah. Okay, he called it a nutrient enema, and I might add he wrote about it. He wrote a pamphlet about it which is quoted in the book and he references, Now this is eighteen eighty one. Oh Dan, this is great. The guy references the ancient Egyptians. Excuse me, you know, hey, amen, look, if I had a chance, I pumped up charl Nstin's wreck them. But that's another story. You know, you guys are both the lad of that one. Come on. But seriously, so this is what Bliss is doing. But this is after Alec Bell's invention quote unquote fails. And the worst part of this whole story is this Bliss talks to the press about Alec Bell's invention and says it's a piece of crap. It gets discredited even though it works. And so in nineteen oh one, when William McKinley is shot, then it's in the book. There is an X ray machine at the panem exposition where he's shot in Buffalo, but he's not near it. The only invention on the planet, on the planet that could have found that that was portable, that could have found the bullet in McKinley's body was the induction balance. But it was in the Smithsonian Institute sho you know, in the back room someplace. Because Bliss had deliberately discredited it in eighteen eighty one with the press. It's all document And that's really what gets me about this, you know, is this guy was such a piece of work, you know what I mean? And he so really will it bliss cost the United States of America to presidents? How would our history be different? How would Hank Garfield's family's life be different? You know what Hank writs in the in the in the forward, murder ripples through generations, You know what I mean, Dan, I don't need to tell you this year. Get it, you know, and you know it's it's just, you know, there's nothing I'm saying that people who would be victims can't relate to. But now we're talking about very very very eyes steaks, Hank.
Speaker 8: I wanted to ask you this question from reading Fred's book. I'm sure there's some real interesting and surprising things. Obviously must be very fascinating for you to read part of your own obviously your family life in your own book in this book and be part of that book as well. But what Fred writes about is and I thought i'd get your response to this. As the bulletins from the Friend and the Dear surgeon about James Garfield's health, and in turn, James Garfield, again bucking up and being the strong man and taking the pain, also was corresponding with his wife. So his wife, like the public and like a lot of people, thought he was on the mend. Wasn't that what tell us about what you thought about finding that out? And tell us a little bit about that great?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean, I guess you know, his wife rushed back from as much as you could rush. Then she took a train back from New Jersey. And the only, uh, the only piece of writing that James Garfield did in those seventy nine days was actually to his mother, who uh.
Speaker 9: Said, he said, you know, I'm.
Speaker 10: Fine, I'm getting a little bit better. But you know, again, I didn't I didn't know a whole lot of the specifics of of this history and and and what you know, what Bliss was telling the press and.
Speaker 9: And all of this. I thought it was.
Speaker 10: Kind of, uh remarkable that the whole country was kind of hanging on this. I mean, imagine, you know, imagine in today's media, the president shot and you don't know whether he's gonna live or die, and you know, there's daily bulletins and and there was there was a big public groundswell of you know, praying for the president and how is he doing today? And they were you know, imagine, imagine imagine today if if, if, if the president was lingering for you know, two and a half months on the edge of and uh uh. So, you know, when the train took him up to New Jersey, there were people lining the tracks to wish him well. And then a few days later, the train brought his dead body back from New Jersey and people were lining the tracks, flowing, throwing flowers on the tracks. And I think the President himself was kind of cognizant of the of the that that, you know, his presidency would be too short to really be remembered, which is what's happened. But but you know, during that time, the whole country kind of came to a standstill that summer, and.
Speaker 9: And it was like, you know, hanging on every bit of news.
Speaker 10: And the fact that that that ultimately the medical news was controlled by this doctor Bliss. You know really, I mean again I I I react to it in a kind of immediate way, which surprised me. You know, for most of my life, the fact that I'm a descended of a president.
Speaker 9: Has really been kind of a footnote.
Speaker 10: It hasn't really affected me. And then so so now as I learned more, you know, even even though it was one hundred and forty years ago, and I'm kind of like Jesus, you know.
Speaker 9: Couldn't something have been done?
Speaker 10: Couldn't somebody has done something?
Speaker 9: Oh my goodness?
Speaker 10: Is you know, it's it's it's it's it's surprisingly immediate.
Speaker 9: When I you know, when I read Fred's.
Speaker 8: Book, Wow, you know Fred, Yes, sir friend, I wanted to ask, because we haven't got to this one point. And again it's it's a it's a medical point, but it's very very crucial to this story with this rectum feeding, with this it's apparent, you know, dissuading Alexander Graham from from being able to use his his invention, not dissuading preventing him from being able to use his invention successfully to locate that bullet. So either a combination of ignorance and ego and incompetence lead to leads to this this death. But what exactly how does this person that has a bullet in him that shouldn't kill him, how does it end up killing him, and as soon as he dies, what is Bliss's behavior? What are some of the things Bliss does. I'm talking about demand for money? So just tell us about the what really killed him and how did he kill him?
Speaker 10: Well, he dives in the trobing, But the seconmary of your question is more interesting. Good go ahead, No.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, no, Well.
Speaker 9: What the probing is?
Speaker 10: What killed him?
Speaker 9: I mean, yes.
Speaker 3: What we found out in two thousand and fourteen, which is why my book is different than the others that have been published prior to this, is that there is a clear line that shows that Bliss is and we haven't even discussed that Blisz kept exploring for the bullet without anesthesia and that what by doing that, Bliss destroyed the healthy tissue around with the bullet that safely insisted and it's screwed up in other medical ways, the President's system.
Speaker 9: And it wasn't because of death, blood poisoning death.
Speaker 3: I think they slitted that on the on the on the on the birth, on the on the death. Yeah. But the thing we you know what, as you point out, Hank, the thing that we need to understand is that we had a very unusual situation here where Bliss was in charge of the autosk okay. Not only was he in charge of the autos, he testifies against the console trial. He was covering the tracks. Now today it would be different, okay, because in those days there was no such thing as a doctor killing you know, at least two people didn't know about it, a doctor deliberately killing patient. And again the point here is we're talking second degree murder, which in the US, and then you can tell me how it works in Canada. But that's depraved the difference to human life. Okay. So Liz is basically covering his tracks and then what happens, oh my god, after that, and he testifies against Bouteau trial. And by the way, this took place very quickly, within months, and Boutte has been of course sentenced to death, and he gets hung. You know what, you know what Bliz does. He builds the government a fortune for his mental for the care of that became the president. And the Congress comes back and says, buddy, you're full craft. You don't deserve this fun. And he argues back and forth over it, and finally he makes sentiment to whatever you know, and and that is apparently the end of it, and shortly after that or you know, within I don't remember exactly the years, but Lucretia Garfield, who was known as Crete, great name. Don't you think I need this? A great name? And if you have another daughter named her Creete and she ends up going to South Pasadena, California, it's in the book at the very end, and she buys a house there and that's where she lives the other days. And a buddy of mine who I went to high school with, used to go buy that house all the time. You kind of bought it for two point five million dollars. Two point five Dan, that's American, not Canadian. So did I answer your question? You know, I just I'm going on and on about this, but I don't mean to. It's just that this guy really bucks me. And you know, when I'm talking to the family of American victim as Hank Is, I get very emotional about it, you know what I mean. It doesn't make a difference that it was one hundred years ago. It's full of next you murder, ripples, fro generations.
Speaker 8: How did this affect your family?
Speaker 7: Hank?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 9: Great question.
Speaker 10: Really, when I was growing up.
Speaker 9: Not at all.
Speaker 10: I mean, if you know, if you I mean, if you you know, if you'd asked me that question ten years ago, I would have said, not at all. You know, it was it was agent history. I knew, I knew his family history.
Speaker 9: But you know, wow, you know, only only.
Speaker 10: In recent years as an adult, as I've learned more about the President's shooting and death.
Speaker 9: And like I said before, my reaction surprised me.
Speaker 10: When I started to find out more about this, I was I was surprised that I was taking it personally, cause it did happen one hundred and forty odd years ago. You know, it was a trivia question to me when I when I was growing up. You know, my great great grandfather was one of four assassinated presidents, you know, named the presidents who didn't finish out their terms of office and so forth. So I would have to say that, I mean, there there's certainly you know, there there was the the you know, I was asked by another interview where you know, have I ever gone to the White House, as you know, a descendant of a president. The only time I've ever visited the White House is when I was in eighth grade, and I was just a you know, a regular tourist. So I was never really attempted to, you know, leverage my ancestry like the White House or anything. So really it didn't you know, it didn't affects me in any way other than you know, people people would find out my last name and ask me about it, and now I tell them truthfully, yeah, I'm a presidential descendant. But you know, so what I get up in the morning, I go to work like anybody else. You know, I live a fairly you know, normal life. I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination. I don't do I don't I don't have secret service protection.
Speaker 9: You know, it's probably a good thing.
Speaker 10: So so up until recently, it really didn't affect me at all.
Speaker 3: Until I until I starved the pot. Actually, Dad, Yeah.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's that's this guy that this writer Rosen calls me.
Speaker 3: And yeah, this guy rose from Brooklyn Goals you know what I mean.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Trouble's calling. Uh, Fred. I wanted to ask you we Hankin mentioned it that this was not only did it take you fourteen years to write it, but it took you fourteen years to get it published. Why was there any kind of result in distance to you getting this, for getting a deal with a guy with twenty four books under your belt, how why was this difficult at all? Or what did I miss?
Speaker 7: Hear that difficulty getting.
Speaker 3: You haven't missed anything, because you're a smart dude in addition to being a Blue Jays fan. What happened was this? A couple of things? First, what the hell? I don't you know? You know, you know, you know Dan everything. You know when I come on your show, I you know, as you know, I've already been sued for stuff I've said on your show. We're not going to talk about that, but I'll just you know, I won't mention your names. How's that? Okay, here's the deal. I had an agent and she sent the proposal out to some dude and and you know, went out to some dudes and you know, two thousand and sixty thousand and seven, and uh, some dude had major publishing. Now called me in fore, you know, make it as short as I can, calls me in for conference. You knoww that goes? This guy shows me, HENK, You're gonna love this. He shows me he's got Wikipedia information on the on the Gilded Age. In this schmuck. Jee I say that schmuck says to me, oh, this is all about the Gilded Ages, that you know it's not, and he considers the book and then rejects it. And at some point after that I had another agent who represented the book who was another schmuck. You know, remember something. Okay, I'm a New York Deaths fan. What the hell do I know? So then finally what happens is I woke up one night in November of two twenty and fourteen, I'll never forget it, and I said, if I don't write three books did I have in my list, call them the bucket list, and I die tomorrow, I'm gonna regret it. This was one of them. So my agent, Judy Copage, who had agent could die Hard, sent it to Sam Thorrens, who was the editor at the Atoma Books. She was from the Weapon since that, yeah, man, we're going to do it. Shortly after Sam bought the book, Tatomac was bought by University of BRASSPA Press. So for five minutes, I basically was, as we call it in the business, as you guys know, I was widowed. But the thing is, I think what really was going down here was this. Nobody really gave her crap because James Garfield, pony served a belt five months in office before you were shot. It wasn't personal, you know, it wasn't personal. It was just that, you know, Okay, it's what you know. But you know what, here's what got me though, Dan, this is what really gets him. I don't know. I was thinking about this and I said, I gotta ask Dan this. You know, when you go in to a school in America, they have, you know, like a poster of old presidents. I don't know if they have that Canada, Dan of the time ministers. Yeah thing, yeah, okay, good, excellent. So there's this poster of James Garfield. You know, he's what he would do is in at you and I learned and I'm looking at this and I'm standing to myself. This guy was murdered, you know. And as I said, as I said earlier, with you know, al Bell left beyond him betrayal for somebody to follow, and I just happened to be the dude that followed the trail. And I don't think it's any accident that Alec was a great Canadian and then became a great American. You know, that's why we're having this discussion today. And this was so in terms of selling out. The other thing was that when Candice Millard published her book Destiny of the Republic, which is still on the Best Yellow List a couple of you know, in two thousand and eleven, I want to say, she claimed that it was sepsist and the treatment of President by his doctor's plural that led to his death. Well, goldless, miss Millard. I don't know her, but she's not a homicide investigator as far as I know. You know what I mean. And on ninety half that when I when I investigated, I don't know if I've told you this. When I went to Grand Rapids, which is where Bliss lived, do you know that cost of the references too? Where were risks were missing for the files? What the hell is that about? Not said some of this stuff before? You know. But I'm not accusing anybody of anything. Please don't misunderstand me. I don't need to be sued again, Okay, but you know the references were missing. You know, I was looking for, you know, for background stuff. This none was you know, did Bliss come from there? He had gave me a Parker as well, and so forth and so on, and but this information was missing. Now there's no I'm not talking you know, there's no conspiracy here. We're not talking conspiracy, nothing like that, you know what I mean? Whatever it is, it is, but you know, I think it's incredibly important get it straight and to get it to it the right way. And most importantly, most importantly, the United States of America owes a death to the Garfield channel. They need to pay it, you know. And whether it is money or recognition or whatever it might be, that in the matter is James Garfield saved our country, our country during the Civil War, and he comported himself as the president when he was shocked, and he's never gotten the acknowledgement that he should get from the official sources of history, articial, forever governed beta term in our country. Do you know what I mean? And I'm Dallas Bell. When he trying to help the president, it was a comedian sist. What needs to be acknowledged. It wasn't at that point a Scotsman. Yes, he came from Scotland, God blessed Scotland. Okay, nobody completely can respond like Sean Connery, do you know what I mean. But here's the thing. This guy he was he was an action adventure of hero and when you when you know, in the book, I talked about how he handled you know, handled himself throwing the boss of fire and heat, that he go for things. He was a guy who was a deemocratic and he came forward to help the president of the United States. And you know what, why isn't that acknowledged? And I think it should be acknowledged, you know what I mean? And I think it's and you know what, you know, I sent you an email today and I wonder about this dance. Do they have a monument up Ballop del In on Aerio where his family settled. He had he had a laboratory there. You know, this is a guy who he was a cool dude. And by the way, when the Kinley was shot and his invention could have detected the bullet and president, but what he was doing on the time he was having he was he was having you know, fight the experiments, you know, And so it just seems to me that you know, if I get over, I realize, just stop me, because I keep going on, which is good. People have to speak together. We will have to speak together.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, Fred, our time has come to an end. I want to just thank you and Hank Garfield. Hank, everybody knows about Fred's career and and how many like I say, this is his twenty fifth book, and and we'll talk about Fred's Uh just type in Fred Rosen his author page and he's all over the place. But Hank, just tell us a little bit about the a little bit about your career as a novelist before I let you, gentlemen, go for the evening.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 10: I I have five published novels, Fred Fred's favorite one is called Tartable's Throw, which was Simon and Schuster in two thousand and one. It's my baseball, werewolf, time travel, coming of age love story novel. It's it's five genres in one. And I'm working. I'm working on a new novel right now. It's a sprawling family saga. And I also write a blog called slower Traffic and you can find it at slower traffic dot net. And it's about living in a rural state like Maine, a rural place like Maine without owning a car. Nine years ago I decided that that was not going to own a car for a year and see.
Speaker 9: How it went. And it's been nine years now, nine years in counting.
Speaker 10: You know that's my blog slower Traffic dot net and uh and I uh I teach writing at the University of Maine.
Speaker 8: Yes, well, that's fantastic. I want to thank you gentlemen, Hank Garfield, Fred Rosen. It's always been a pleasure with you, Fred, but especially with this very very important and this is you've done yourself. This is a fantastic book. Thank you gentlemen for this interview. You guys have a great evening. That's the luck with the book. But I don't think you're gonna need it. You're gonna turn some heads and people find this book as fascinating as I did.
Speaker 3: I just want to say one thing before we go. Wish is Dan. I shall not thank you more sincerely to your support for years. Sure talks in bad times and you are great, great Conadian. I continue you sure to be great part. I'll bet that I'll thank you, okay, And I you know what you are, You're you're you know, you know I know what you know. I'm going on and on, but you don't what you're cool man, So thank you very much for having us on. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 8: Well, thank you, Fred. It's uh, I'm always uh grateful for the things you say. But thank you very much, Fred, and I know I'll be talking to you again real soon. Thank you for this, gentlemen, of a great evening.
Speaker 3: Good night, thank.
Speaker 9: You, good night.
Speaker 3: Nice