Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to kf I A M six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Texted one of my Padres friends this morning, how those say? How those Padres doing? They don't The Padres fans do not like s talking. No response, there's no. They're not good at it. They're not good at it. They beat the Giants, Yeah, but they're still in third place.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Uh, you'd have to check that, but yeah, I think they are behind them. Listen, Padres fans, I mean they're they're good. They're when they're right and high, they're they're a love delightful people, lovely people. But when they're losing, man, and I'm listen, I can't.
Speaker 3: Take the heat. Get out of the NLS.
Speaker 4: As a Giants fan, it's hard to exist in southern California because all you're surrounded by Dodgers fans. And but there's that good friendly teta tet, if you will, the friendly given.
Speaker 3: Tet, the old ballpark, the fun testing of each other's.
Speaker 4: Jibes against each o, the jibes.
Speaker 3: A gentlemanly sport.
Speaker 4: Ah, Man, you tangle some of those Padres fans from there in third place.
Speaker 5: You don't mess a out with those people.
Speaker 6: I can only imagine how said Jeff olrich Is over that one hundred thousand dollars. I remember how said my dad was when I called a nine hundred number once and it was like five bucks, right, it was like thirty years ago, and I still never.
Speaker 1: Heard the Yeah, my dad would get mad if I stayed on too long with my grandma, his mother because of the long distance charge. You know what I mean, Like, dads don't play when it comes to money. Even if you had a career in the NFL and you have a bunch of money. And I don't know how much Jeff Olbrick made, but he had a pretty substantial career from what I remember, didn't make the nearly the money they make now. But I mean, dads do not play when it comes to money. Like it could be five dollars, it could be wasting. It's the wasting of the money. And this is an enormous waste of one hundred thousand dollars. This isn't your kid wanted to go to Duke and you paid a bunch of money and you paid tuition.
Speaker 5: Then the kids like I'm not into it.
Speaker 3: Years ago puppetry degree. Yeah, and then you just got to eat it like that's that's different.
Speaker 1: This is an enormous waste of a hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: Where do those fines generally go? Do they go to like NFL Foundation or something?
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter, I know, I'm just curious the dynamic duo.
Speaker 3: I really think you guys should market that T shirt that's saying.
Speaker 5: You have an acceptable face.
Speaker 3: I like it, you guys an acceptable face.
Speaker 1: I gotta say that just is not for a throwaway comment. That is not going away anytime.
Speaker 3: Soon, is it? It's time for swamp. I got a politician that one. Yeah, that's all right. You're going to confuse el Murphy. I mean, that's all right. Politicians. We did a different time yesterday. And when I'm not kissing beat, I'm stealing that we.
Speaker 7: Got the real problem is that our leaders are done.
Speaker 5: The other side never quits.
Speaker 3: So what I'm not going anywhere? So that now you train.
Speaker 1: The swat, I can imagine what can be and be unburdened by what has been, you know, have.
Speaker 3: Always been gone a president, they're not stupid.
Speaker 8: A political flunder is when a politician actually tells the truth.
Speaker 3: Have the people voted for you were not swap watch they're all counting on.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, well, what were you going to say? It's not real important. Trump's cabinet. He had a cabinet meeting today at the White House. Uh, They're doing this on a very regular basis. He starts with comments.
Speaker 4: Today's comments had to do with the GDP numbers that came out this morning for GDP.
Speaker 7: And this is you know, you probably saw some numbers today, and I have to start off, I say, that's Biden.
Speaker 3: That's not because we came in on January. Just a quarterly numbers.
Speaker 4: Now, what he does is he's saying that when you take out some of the extraneous numbers, the economy still has some strength to it. Peter Navarro, the Trade advisor, also put quite the spin on it this morning.
Speaker 9: This was the best negative print, as they say in the Trade for GDP, I have ever seen in my life. It really should be very positive news for America.
Speaker 4: Okay, I don't know about that, but it is the three tenths of a percent drop in GDP for the first quarter of the year. Trump blamed it on Biden. And said as much in a truth social post. It was one of the issues that came up last night, very long one hundred day interview, with a very long interview to mark one hundred days in office. He did it with ABC News as Terry Moran, did you hear the line?
Speaker 3: He said?
Speaker 4: As to he, Trump apparently got to choose who did the interview. That was part of the deal that they struck, okay, and he said he chose Terry Moran and not David Muir or George Stephanopolis because he had never heard of him. He had never heard of Terry Moran, which was a of course, it was a dig. Of of course, it was quite the line. But anyway, Terry Moran had asked him, things are not going well economically, at least, you know, tariff wise. Stock markets are down, people are losing money in their four oh one k's. We're not seeing the relief, the general price relief that we were expecting, although egg prices have gone down, gas prices have gone down and things like that. So Terry Moran asked him, did people sign up for this when they voted for you?
Speaker 7: Well, they did sign up for it, actually, And this is what I campaigned on I said that we've been abused by other countries at levels that nobody's ever seen before. I could have left it that way, and at some point that would have been an implosion like nobody's ever seen, but I said no, we have to fix it.
Speaker 1: Also on Capitol Hill today, the Senate Commerce Committee has appeared poised to advance that bill to make daylight saving time permanent. It seems lawmakers are coalescing around the idea of ending the practice of changing the clocks twice a year. The panel is deeply divided over whether to embrace permanent daylight saving time or standard time.
Speaker 3: However, they don't.
Speaker 5: So they're in agreement to some.
Speaker 1: Degree to stop f and with the clocks just pick a time, but they can't decide on the time. Ted Cruz is a committee chair. He said, there are times when you have a hearing on a bill and you're trying to move forward with a bill and you think there's a clear right answer. This is not one of those times, at least for me.
Speaker 5: He says.
Speaker 1: The testimony we're heard at the beginning persuaded me that we should lock the clock. The practice of springing forward and falling backward every year. Doesn't make sense. He went on to vote to advance the legislation. This is from Rick Scott, which would move to make daylight saving time the default. That would result in the more daylight in the evening hours with less in the morning.
Speaker 3: It would stay.
Speaker 4: Well, you get into late mid late December and you're driving to work at eight in the morning and it's still dark, that'd be weird. Not eight, yeah, yeah, yeah, pretty close. D eight o'clock it would still be dark.
Speaker 3: No, yes, maybe seven. We did the math on this before.
Speaker 4: It's still dark at seven when you drive now, and it's not Yeah it is.
Speaker 3: No, it's not.
Speaker 5: It's light.
Speaker 1: It is light when I'm in my ballet zoom class at sixteen twenty right now.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm talking about December. December.
Speaker 4: In December, when you're driving to work at seven in the morning, it's still dark outside.
Speaker 3: Not eight though. But if we change the clock.
Speaker 5: I'm not going to die on this hill. It's not like.
Speaker 3: Old But here's what's funny. Here's not funny.
Speaker 5: The State Commerce Committee to me, this.
Speaker 4: Is like I don't I could care just choose, I don't care.
Speaker 3: To choose, and then let's stopping with the clock. It's one one.
Speaker 1: They both come with their benefits and their and their detractions.
Speaker 3: I'm angry that there's that much of an argument. Angry. I am also out of Washington, d c.
Speaker 4: They Supreme Court today was hearing arguments on a bid to create the nation's first tax payer funded religious charter school. All right, this one is down in Oklahoma. Some unusual things about it. In that Justice Amy Cony Barrett has recused herself apparent least she's very close friends with somebody who wants to represent Saint Isidore of Seville Catholic Virtual School. Chief Justice round John Roberts is considered to be going to be this wing vote because with the three traditionally liberal justices and now the five conservative justices. At the onset of the argument, he was questioning some of the positions that were advanced by the Catholic School, but by the time the two hour argument concluded, he seemed a little bit more open to siding with the school. So we'll see exactly how that plays out. But one of those big Supreme Court cases that's going to get a lot of attention when it's decided later in the spring.
Speaker 1: Coming up next the Netflix CEO says movie theaters are outdated. Well, no, s Do they have a plan on how to move them into the future or are we just going to get rid of them.
Speaker 5: We'll talk about it when we come back.
Speaker 3: Gary and Shannon will continue.
Speaker 10: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 4: There is a baseball game on one of the TVs here in the studio. The Tigers are visiting the Astros. Houston's pitcher today is a kid named aj blue Ball Okay, and his mom and two sisters were watching him pitch. You just pitched the top of the first inning and they were bawling watching their son and brothers.
Speaker 5: That is first time pitching.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's rookie.
Speaker 5: That's great, That's wonderful.
Speaker 3: That's so, it's a fun thing to see. All right.
Speaker 4: Before we get into the Netflix story, we have a chance for you to win one thousand dollars.
Speaker 10: Now your chance to win one thousand dollars just enter this nationwide keyword on our website.
Speaker 3: Grand that's Grand g R, a n.
Speaker 10: D editor now at KFI AM six forty dot com. Slash cash powered by Sweet James Accident Attorneys.
Speaker 3: If you're hurting an accident.
Speaker 10: Winning is everything.
Speaker 3: Call the winning attorneys at Sweet James.
Speaker 10: One eight hundred nine million. That's one eight hundred nine million or sweet James dot com.
Speaker 4: Grand is. The keyword going on the website is how you're going to win a thousand bucks and if you do well, then we'll let you know via email that you want a thousand bucks.
Speaker 3: So keep an eye on.
Speaker 1: Ted Sarandos is the Netflix CEO, and he did an interview recently. It started with this question, have you sorry? Have you destroyed Hollywood?
Speaker 11: Things do not look so good in the entertainment industry. The box office is down, the LA film business is shaky, people are out of work. Your competitor's market share is sinking. But Netflix business is thriving. Have you destroyed Hollywood?
Speaker 2: Now we're saving Hollywood.
Speaker 3: You're saving Hollywood. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Look, what's the big difference of everything you just listed there is that Netflix is a very consumer focused company. We really do care that we deliver the program into you in a way you want to watch it, that it's programming that you love and desire, So we don't let you know, a lot of other outside forces get in the way of that. So an example, I think is that you mentioned the box office being down, just by way of example, what does that say. What is the consumer trying to tell us that they'd like to watch movies at home, thank you? And the studios and the theaters are duking it out over trying to preserve this forty five day window that is completely out of step with the consumer experience of just living a movie.
Speaker 3: He makes some great points there.
Speaker 4: The idea of this forty five day window, by the way, is that theater owners want to keep exclusivity. They want to be able to say that first run movies are only available in movie theaters for the first forty five days, and even then. The way it's working now is the movie can have that exclusivity, or the theaters can have that exclusivity. But then once it goes to streaming, you can get relatively recent movies if you're willing to pay nineteen bucks for him. In some cases you wait a little bit longer the priceper is down.
Speaker 3: Going to the movie and sitting with the crooks, Yeah, the crooks.
Speaker 5: I just assume everyone's a crook.
Speaker 3: What I met the crowds and it gave out crooks. I don't know why, But sitting with a Brooks on the I don't know.
Speaker 5: Why said that.
Speaker 1: Sitting with the crowds and their noises and their bodiliest situations.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm not a fan.
Speaker 1: And that's one thing that did not make a comeback from you post pandemic. I used to love going to the theater, movie theater, and I just cannot watch a movie with strangers.
Speaker 4: And I worked in a movie theater for a couple of summers and it was the greatest time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it never took away.
Speaker 4: You know, sometimes people, if you get a little too close to something that mad joy, then you start to see how bad. I never lost it. I always loved about that with football. I love the smell of the popcorn and the stickiness of the floor.
Speaker 3: There was always something about it.
Speaker 4: And part of the part of the allure was you could never even come close to mimicking that experience at home. Yeah, and now you can. I mean now you can get a TV that's too big for your wall, and you can get a sound system that and you can.
Speaker 5: Get the popcorn in the M and M.
Speaker 3: I need get the popcorn. You get it all. You can get the whole thing, and the probably the biggest one. I don't think there's one. Oh right here, the pause button. You can pee and you don't have to race to the pisser.
Speaker 4: Yeah, say that, and you can answer the door or the phone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you choose all sorts of things. You can get ice cream. How did you know that that you go and get ice cream? It's not and it was because what's better than a movie at home with ice cream?
Speaker 5: Ice cream?
Speaker 4: He did say that there are limited theatrical releases. Again, this is Ted Sarandos, the CEO at at Netflix. One of the things because they are not just a they're not just a clearing house for movies, they're a producer as well. Is they have produced movies that then go into the movie theaters. First Knives Out, Glass Onion Emilia Perez was a Netflix movie that started in the theaters and then made its way to the street service. And he referred to some of the rules for the Academy Awards are that you have to have at least some movie theater exposure before that show would be eligible for awards, and that was one of the things that he has talked to. But he said one of the things that he encourages each of the directors that work with Netflix now is give the audience what they want. If it is a big action movie that they want to go see in a theater, yeah, let's open it in a movie theater.
Speaker 3: Let's make it a theatrical release.
Speaker 4: But if it's something that's a little quieter, a little slower, maybe a little more dramatic that you don't need a giant screen for, throw it on Netflix and make it available to everybody.
Speaker 3: Amen. Brother, you say that again. Amen, brother, say you with your chest? Amen? Brother? All right?
Speaker 1: Justin Wisham's coming up next. How did it get to be eleven thirty? Where did the day go?
Speaker 3: I do not know.
Speaker 1: I mean, we were talking about escape kangaroos and the laws. We learned that we can and have a kangaroo without a permit in South Carolina. Other than that, I don't remember what else we've talked about today.
Speaker 10: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Don't forget to let us know what you are watching. It is a what you watch on Wednesday. We have been into what I've been into Friends and Neighbors with John ham Hacks Season four, I'm trying to get into that ballet Amazon Prime show at twelve. There's moments where I love it and there's moments where I'm like, eh, so I'm trying to see if it's one.
Speaker 5: Of those just wait till episode four situations.
Speaker 3: And it's a whole series. I thought it was a movie.
Speaker 5: This is a series.
Speaker 4: I thought I was going to leave my wife for one night and let her get it out of her system, and.
Speaker 1: Now it's she she's not impressed by it. Yeah, I haven't been either. I mean, there's parts of it that I'm like, that's well done. There's actual ballet dancers, actual dancing going on, which is odd. It's usually they kind of fake their way through that if it's going to be a show about dancing.
Speaker 3: But that's my favorite.
Speaker 8: Thing whenever there's dancing, and I always ask my wife, I'm like, are they really good?
Speaker 3: Ever?
Speaker 10: Good?
Speaker 5: And these ones are really good.
Speaker 8: She's got she's more of a hip hop dancer pretending to be a ballerinas like.
Speaker 5: Save the Last Man?
Speaker 3: All right, nailed it. Justin Morsham has joined us takes. Yeah, we talked with you.
Speaker 1: Don't get me started on center stage because that's a whole other thing.
Speaker 4: Justin is probably the most popular multi hyphen it here.
Speaker 3: It's how does that work?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 4: We talk about parenting on Wednesdays and on Sundays you roll in and talk about real estate.
Speaker 3: These are renaissance to talk about adulting.
Speaker 4: Uh, let's talk about successful kids that working on one key emotion.
Speaker 8: And this was I gotta be honest, I was taken aback by this that the key emotion for your kids to grow up successful is awe.
Speaker 3: And I if I'm reading.
Speaker 8: This correctly based on the information of the study, is that the parents need to be in awe of their children.
Speaker 6: What.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought it was going to be keep the awe in your kids as long as possible, so where your kids are like, oh, that's wonderful or that's great, or that's beautiful or that's cool or you know, so your kids aren't jaded quicker than they should be.
Speaker 8: And that could because there's other parts of it where they allude to the fact that the parents who were also experiencing awe. So what my general takeaway from it was is that if your bar is very low, then you tend to be happier in general and maybe more successful.
Speaker 3: I think parents should be in awe of their kids.
Speaker 5: Don't give it the kids. The power, isn't it?
Speaker 3: I mean, don't get me wrong, My kids have there.
Speaker 8: Each of them have had two moments or one each where I was genuinely, insincerely in awe of what they decided to do. So I was proud of them that the proud pride is the second in this study. So you the number one emotion for the predictor of success is awe, and pride is number two, which I thought was all.
Speaker 5: When I think of in awe of something, I think like.
Speaker 1: Delighted or surprised by the magnitude.
Speaker 8: They did the thing, and I'll try and pull it up here. They did the thing of they gave you like. The Webster's Dictionary defines all as and uh and a different one the Merriam Webster Dictionary. An emotion variously combining dread, veneration, and wonder that is inspired by authority or by the sacred or sublime.
Speaker 4: Now hit the second one if you don't mind a strong now this one from dictionary dot com. An overwhelming feeling of reverence, admiration, fear, et cetera, produced by what produced by that which is grand, sublime, extremely powerful or the light.
Speaker 3: Something that should be revered is not your child. Yeah, and that's what.
Speaker 8: So again, this just kind of threw me off my balance because I'm like, am I supposed to be admire And there's a lot again, there's a lot of ways that I genuinely, sincerely do admire my kids. But I don't know, I don't know that you know, like to me the equivalent of like, you know, who rescued who?
Speaker 1: Well amazed if this kid does something kind or de know, wonderful, you can.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine being a base because your kid does something kind? So true, but my kids are selfish, little being.
Speaker 8: Kids made me dinner last night while I was on like a zoom meeting. And that's really like he was sick or he was inhabited by an alien.
Speaker 3: I'm like, you're doing that.
Speaker 1: That is when awe comes in conversation.
Speaker 4: So along those lines, when when you say awe, I think of the context of like, this is the most beautiful sunset I've ever seen in my life.
Speaker 3: I can't wrap my head around what is going on right now.
Speaker 4: If you if you are in awe of your kids, maybe it's not because of what they've done, but you're like, I can't believe that two human beings can get together and create another human being.
Speaker 3: I'm in awe of that person, and.
Speaker 5: You're in awe of yourself, not the kid.
Speaker 3: It did say.
Speaker 8: The author of the article said, when I read things like this, it reminds me, if I needed it to, that being a parent really is an almost comprehensible gift, which I do not feel that being a parent is an incomprehensive gift.
Speaker 5: It sounds like I feel like it's a.
Speaker 8: Job that I signed up for that I didn't know what I was getting into.
Speaker 3: But I do enjoy like that's how I like from time to time. That's a better way to say, I enjoy it from time to time. I do not find joy in it every day. I don't. I probably am through big swaths of it. I didn't.
Speaker 8: I could say I did not find enjoyment from it most of the time. Right there, it's fleeting moments of joy, and I have enjoyed.
Speaker 5: It moment it's worth it.
Speaker 8: They do that, But again, I don't know if this is like an evolutionary thing that we've just had, Like it has to be ingrained in us that we have to psychologically think that because he smiles after he farts when he's.
Speaker 3: Kept me up all night, but that makes it all worth it. Maybe it is, but it's still there's a.
Speaker 8: Little bit of, like I don't know, sociopathic aspects to it, that you have to like trick yourself into finding the fun and being beat on and vomited on.
Speaker 3: That's fine, it's true.
Speaker 1: I mean, parents do make allowances for their kids a lot.
Speaker 3: And then they get older and all they do is not.
Speaker 8: Appreciate you and become generally annoyed by you and don't want you around. Like so, I'm just when I see this, it's a thing that's very conflicting for me because obviously I come to here, I cry about my kids.
Speaker 3: I love them dearly.
Speaker 8: I could not imagine my life being any different than what it is, but I did not. I do not think I would use awe to describe how I feel a good chunk of the time. And maybe we'll see, maybe my kids will be less successful because of it.
Speaker 5: No, that is not true, you know, because.
Speaker 3: Listen, you're a successful guy. I thank you. Clearly I have hyphens.
Speaker 4: Your dad would not be in awe of you. No, and if he was, he would never admit it. Which is a funny thing because I feel like this is the push towards telling your kids that you're in awe of them, and that I think puts a very that's a bad move.
Speaker 1: That's awful. It's so stupid. I think it's really stupid. I feel like the thing that I've strived for is to hear that my parents are proud of me.
Speaker 5: That's like the number one thing.
Speaker 3: And I think, and.
Speaker 1: It's never changed throughout my entire life, like that's what I want.
Speaker 3: You want that?
Speaker 8: And there's this weird I think high wire tuggle war whatever where it's like because if they give the pride too fast and easy, then it's like it doesn't feel earned.
Speaker 3: They've got to pay attention to.
Speaker 5: You for thirty five years.
Speaker 3: Exactly right, like you can't. But isn't it funny how we all we all have these similar vibes like I have this one, and you should want that as a kid.
Speaker 1: You should want to make your parent proud and your parents should want to be proud of you.
Speaker 5: You know all of these things.
Speaker 1: The awe thing is just like give me that's a little too new parent age foo food to me be in awe of your check coming back.
Speaker 8: This right here is my biggest feared anxiety I've always had as a parent is that I've always felt exactly like we're all saying we feel yeah, but I'm like, what if everybody else who is blowing that much sunshine up their kids a that like that's they're actually the one.
Speaker 1: I have a lot of friends, most of my friends have kids, and that that is never a conversation I was in of my daughter and like, that's not a thing.
Speaker 3: I've never heard somebody keep that much praise on that.
Speaker 4: But let me go back to what I said earlier, when I said that when you think of awe, of being in awe of something this bigger than you, I'm in awe of the skyscraper that I would never be able to design or build or anything.
Speaker 3: If you.
Speaker 4: Display that, if you show that to your kids, not directed towards them, but you show them that you are still capable of being impressed by something that I think is a good quality today exactly because then that gives that gives the kid the ability to not be a giant jade, like you said earlier, a jaded a hole through the rest of their life.
Speaker 1: One of my least favorite things when a child is not impressed by something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree. I mean they should all be impressed by you. No no, no, no, not me.
Speaker 1: I mean by you know, even if it's just like a meal out or they got for Christmas.
Speaker 4: Like, they can't wrap their head around the fact they don't deserve it. You gave it to them because you you love them, right whatever, right, But they don't get the awe that should be involved with Yeah, you spent how much money on a game system that's gonna eat my brain out?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love it, Thank you. Yeah, I'm at all of you. I'm in awe of that. I mean that I pulled a fast one on.
Speaker 1: I will get the you know, text messages from friends like can you believe they're you know, thirteen and fifteen? Can you believe I made these kids? You know what I mean kind of thing, and and.
Speaker 3: That I get the awe there of like you.
Speaker 1: Know, like we were talking about, I can see that like, oh my god, I did this, we did this, We've all done this, the family has done this. Look at them. They're they're grown up and they're not broken.
Speaker 8: So here's one last bit of perspective is that it also says there was a twenty twenty study that found that if you spent fifteen minutes in a walk out in nature where the things you were seeing were things that you would be considered to be in awe of, you were significantly more likely to feel pro social emotions. So what if like, let's just say the parent is very easily find finds themselves in a state of awe and that somehow begets this perspective for the kid because they're modeling it to also just appreciate what.
Speaker 3: They have for around them.
Speaker 8: That's really what because they they're also maybe that removes a little bit of like the insecurity obstacles that you usually have to overcome to achieve stuff. Yes, and that you just like you just have a more positive mindset and it's more about a law action.
Speaker 1: Birds, Yeah, feather, it's it's it's the same thing with the people you surround yourself, even as adults, Like if you're surrounding yourself with people are like, oh it's beautiful today, Like look do you see those flowers? Those are incredible? How bright they're the ones right outside the door. You know, I suppose to someone who's like my life this day.
Speaker 8: My favorite study is the one that said my grandparents' generation was happier than all of us because their bar for happiness was so low.
Speaker 3: Yes, they expect keep the bar low. Justin will continue.
Speaker 5: It's like the kids.
Speaker 10: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 12: Justine works joined us and we're talking about parenting issues, and so new research talks about the importance of reading.
Speaker 8: I have a feeling when I read this, I was gobspec like, I was like, what the hell?
Speaker 3: And I have a feeling.
Speaker 5: You guys are like, oh, no, that's important.
Speaker 8: No, nothing, But fifty of us adults read below a sixth grade level.
Speaker 4: Not surprised, really surprised. You've been to Target, Yeah, but.
Speaker 13: Watch your mouth about Target. I just dealing with people, Yeah, exactly. And I also think that reading reading ability can regress. I mean you get out of the practice, just like handwriting, right, your handwriting now is nowhere what it was, nowhere near what it was like probably when you were junior senior in high school because you were constantly writing. I don't write things down, I mean chicken scratch numbers here and there. I don't write things down every day. I'll go days without using a pen or a pencil.
Speaker 3: I've always had third grade level handwriting.
Speaker 5: Unfortunately, Really write me something right, I like, well, you're.
Speaker 3: Right with the wrong hand. Is that the problem? It gets even worse.
Speaker 1: Wow, they didn't beat that out. Uh huh, you're my age. There were no left handing. That's perfectly you do right like you're right handed, though, oh I do.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I just always like people.
Speaker 8: When I signed my niece's like certificate because I like a left hander, I officiated her wedding and like both her and her now husband were like, whoa dude?
Speaker 3: Like when it was just writing my name, I didn't realize you had palsy exactly. You should have been a doctor.
Speaker 5: But look at how lame that is.
Speaker 3: When I write with my left hand would be legible.
Speaker 5: That's a joke.
Speaker 8: I can't turn hers off for a second. Good for you, you found my limit. Evidently, I didn't even know I had one. The other part, so my kids, I've seen them like read aloud. They mess up words constantly, which drives me up a wall. I was never like, I imagine both of you enjoyed reading. I know Shannon does a lot. I have never been a person who enjoyed reading. I like listening to like business books, like audio books.
Speaker 3: I like that. I'm I will read a book if I like it.
Speaker 8: I read like Ready Player one and the Harry Potter book said there was stuff like that, but sixth grade level exactly.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying is and I've been I'm the guy who's shocked.
Speaker 5: When you say your kids mix up words?
Speaker 3: What do you mean?
Speaker 8: They say it like they'll say something like, uh, I can't even give the example because it's such a poor grammar, Like I just feel like I'm constantly.
Speaker 3: Going it's us.
Speaker 1: I don't know, it's magnification, like I would say mess up, could care less versus no, No, we're.
Speaker 3: Not even at that high level.
Speaker 8: And it's like blatantly like I don't think the words you just put together, they're like I understood you on this show.
Speaker 1: I understood that every day people lose their freaking minds.
Speaker 3: No we're not there, then they should.
Speaker 8: Definitely, we could desensitize these people by having them have dinner with my family, okay, because it's me constantly going, no, it's this word, and my jack loves to drive me a ball.
Speaker 3: He goes same difference. I'm like, no, no, it's not the same difference that you can't. If it was, then I would understand. I go, I can't send you into a job interview using words like this that is not too screw it. Oh yes, I know. That's the one time that I know I'm being the victim of it. Still can't stop, it can't stop.
Speaker 8: It's it's how he communicates, Like communication is very important. The other part that shocked me about this is like how much it's directly correlated to like earnings. People will read at a sixth grade level on average in US make sixty three thousand dollars a year. If you're at a fifth grade level, dips all the way down to forty eight. And I was like, wow, like especially, I mean, I guess today we're all on computers.
Speaker 3: But just pick of books, I guess. But it's pick.
Speaker 4: It's not just the book, it's the kind of book. It's the style of book. It's the language of the book. And I think of different writing styles. The most outlandish writing style that I can think of that of a book that I enjoyed was The Road by Cormick McCarthy because there, I mean, he was missing punctuation in that book, but it was so I mean, you got to know the rules to break the rules. So clearly he knows how to use punctuation, but he didn't in this book. That to me, is a well above a sixth grade level book because of that kind of knowledge.
Speaker 3: Not just the big words, not just.
Speaker 4: The the technical aspects potentially of a book that you're reading, but the way the language is used is probably the best indicator of the level of book. You don't get that anywhere. I mean even you know, you could read the New York Times online or in print, whatever you want to do. It's not written. You know, you're always taught in journalisms the newspaper writings. It's not written that way. It's written to be consumed by the I wouldn't say the lowest common denominator, but a pretty low common denominator. And there's no challenge after you get past sixth grade. You read science books, biology or something like that in high school, but after that there's no more. There's no challenge unless you bring it upon yourself where you work in an industry where that's going to be a required reading.
Speaker 3: It's just not out there.
Speaker 8: And I also always wonder, like Chicken or the egg, like, are people who naturally inclined to read are just gonna also they're just going to naturally want to improve, right like Schmuck's like me, Like I like to improve in business. Like that's interesting to me. But I very rarely will read a piece of fiction or something like that. It's not my jam. I don't like it. I would much rather watch the movie an somebody else figure out all the visuals for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I paint the picture for me and I break it down like what a flip book?
Speaker 5: Very male. We will talk trenday.
Speaker 3: Only time I've been called that only time. It is the only time I've done that.
Speaker 13: About you just getting good not a good right there it all.
Speaker 4: Don't forget what you're watching Wednesday coming up. Let us know what you're watching on the talkback feature on the iHeart Gary and Shannon will be back right after this. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on kf I AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app,