Speaker 1: Thank you for hanging out with us today. Now, this segment is brought to you by roller Town Beer Works. That's the brewery up there in Salina, Texas that Ben and I are partners in. I think the thing we're most excited about right now is the big Chili cookoff on Saturday, the wild West Chili Fest. We got live music, we have a vendor market, but more than anything, we have that big Chili cookoff and it is going to be legit. So get on up there. Twenty fresh local beers on tap, an incredible selection of IPAs right now. And then of course we're outing about all kinds of different restaurants and venues. In fact, if you're going out to the mav game tonight, heck, go by ben a Beer.
Speaker 2: He's going to be there. By Christina Beer.
Speaker 1: She's going to be there Rollertown, Rollertown's big Germans on the concourse level. It's at a bunch of different stands. And then go grab one on tap at Chop Shop before after the game or at Hero and it can before after the game. We are out and about and everywhere Town beer Works. But right now it's time for this.
Speaker 2: Oh thank you, Cynthia. Man.
Speaker 1: We heard the news and the Hollywood shuffle that Gene Hackman, his wife, and one of his dogs were found dead, very very sad, and this particular segment, we'll want to spend any time getting into the news story or any of the things that surround that. We just wanted to kind of tip our caps to the great Gene Hackman if we could and skin How did we ever stumble into the debate between that classic old rivalry who's a better actor, Gene Hackman or Michael Kaine.
Speaker 2: I don't remember, but.
Speaker 1: I think it had to do with the idea of a starting quarterback.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, okay, does that sound right?
Speaker 1: So I the way I the lens in which I look at a lot of these actors is I turn it back to sports and I'm like, Okay, if Gene Hackman is your starting quarterback, you can win that movie. You can win that game. He is a great leading man. And it really comes down to I mean, look at it, like PJ. Washington the other night against the Lakers, he was forced into being the MAVs second most important player. That's a little better when he's your third or fourth most important player. Right now, you've got some serious depth. But if you have to have PJ. Washington as the lead actor, if he's your best player, then you're kind of what the Hornets used to be. Right. I'm remembering this really well because I think my contention is that Gene Hackman was a system quarterback, and so if you put him in a system like Hoosiers, where you know, it's not contingent on being about the leading man, it's about the story. Because you know, one of the things that Gene Hackman was known for is that he was He did a really amazing job of playing the quote unquote every man. And when he really got on people's radars was with Bonnie and Clyde, and he was just sort of all right, this is just kind of.
Speaker 2: A Middle America.
Speaker 1: I mean, here's Warren Batty over here looking like a matinee superstar sex machine. But Gene Hackman was like, man, this guy's an amazing actor. He's the everyman. He's all of us. But depending on the season, if you have the right system, in a really good defense, he could quarterback you to a super Bowl. Right, And you think that Michael Kaine is a better system quarterback than Gene Hackman, No, I think they're I think Michael Kaine's the equivalent to Jacah Hackman.
Speaker 2: They're the equivalent, Well they're the same.
Speaker 1: Base That became a second that became a secondary debate because I would maintain that Gene Hackman is a far superior actor to the great Michael Kane.
Speaker 2: But then you get into a situation.
Speaker 1: Where you're being forced to take the position that tears down someone who's awesome. I don't want to tear down Michael Kaine. I think Michael Kaine's great, but I do want to talk about some of the Why are you tearing down Michael Kaine? It's Gene Hackman's death. I want to talk about a lot of these great movie need to see Blame it on Rio again? Oh God, such a good film with Joseph Mologna. Okay, so ask a quick Michael Kaine questions, Yes, exciting.
Speaker 3: Is it bad that all I know him from is when he one of the Alfreds?
Speaker 1: Yeah he was in the Batman movie. Okay, No, not that's not bad at all. What else you're young? Gene Hackman died at held.
Speaker 2: Ninety five, and he hasn't His last movie was O.
Speaker 1: Four, Okay, and so Michael Caine, I think is ninety one or ninety three?
Speaker 2: Is he not old? Ninety one? Okay?
Speaker 1: Okay, so he's ninety one, So no, it's not you're a young man. That's not a common but this is an older actor in Mine and Skins Lives and we're older dudes. So but if you wanted to see a good Michael Caine movie, to really get the full scale of the greatness of Michael Caine, I would recommend Dirty Rotten Scoundrel mart Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, was he in gold Member? That's great?
Speaker 1: What was the movie he was in where he was a psychiatrist and he's about dressed to kill dressed to kill badass?
Speaker 2: That's a Brian de Palmer. Oh that was a good movie. Okay, he was? He was?
Speaker 1: He was in the original Get Carter, that Sylvester's Alone remade, right, he was in the nineteen sixty nine British version or something like that. So if you had to guess which actor was in has been in more movies, Gene Hackman or Michael Kaine, I would say Gene Hackman because he's American.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, I would say Gene Hackman because he's four years older. When he died than Michael Kanner's ninety one. I'm going Gene Hackman just because I know more movies besides just Alfred.
Speaker 2: Like Kat said, I'm a pivot.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say Michael Kaine because, as I told you, Gene Hackman's last movie was two thousand and four Welcome to the Sport.
Speaker 2: So Gene Hackman.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because when I googled this, they didn't give me an exact number.
Speaker 2: They said Gene Hackman was in about eighty movies, and.
Speaker 1: Then so I looked it up for Michael Kaine, they said he was in about one hundred and sixty films. Oh okay, yeah, okay, However, volume shooter. You know, we can look at their report cards in this now. Before we get to their comparative report cards. I do want to mention some of the greatest movies, and it would love to get anyone's thoughts. And I'm sure Skin and I are far more familiar with these movies. But I'm gonna throw some of my favorites out. Royal ten and Bombs. Yeah, she's dating Wes Anderson Acolyte, so I would think that she's very familiar with that.
Speaker 2: I love that movie. Great.
Speaker 1: Oh good, have you ever you want to talk some jive? Let's talk some jive Coltrane? He goes, and he has you call me Coltrane. No, but but if I did, yes, Uh, yeah, so that's great. He was.
Speaker 2: He was perfect in that role.
Speaker 1: I man, I kind of want to see if kat has the stamina to make it through the conversation.
Speaker 2: Okay. Uh.
Speaker 1: There are so many other films of his that I love. Uh, there's gonna be some of these you haven't seen, because I see every terrible movie.
Speaker 2: Enemy of the State with Will Smith. I never saw that.
Speaker 3: I remember that being promoted heavily in the late nineties.
Speaker 2: Heist with Sam Rockwall. Never saw Rockwell.
Speaker 1: I love Sam Rockwell, but I never saw that the firm I did see that.
Speaker 2: It's a long time.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, Wilfrid Brimley was the bad guy, and which isn't believable, but God, Gene Hackman was awesome that. Of course Hoosiers. He was such a believable basketball coach. He was great in Hoosier's Fantastic. Probably that in Mississippi Burning were probably the roles he's most known for. I would think Get Shorty, which was a comedy really really good. He's great, he's great and everything he's in. Unforgiven was his one of his westerns. He was great in that, directed by Clint Eastwood, No Way Out. I love in her film. I love him in No Way Out. He plays a corrupt senator and he's really really good in that. He was great as Lex Luthor and Superman badass in that. I went back and watched this one recently. I don't know why, but the French Connection, that movie's badass. It's really good.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. See, he gets connected addicted to heroin. They forced him to get addicted to heroin.
Speaker 1: Or something, and then he has to snap out of it and still solve all the crime. So he was on a run. Basically. It started with Bonnie and Clyde. But when he did The French Connection, which was a Landmark film, I mean it was a landmark film. You want to talk about the whole anti hero dirty cop thing, I mean it goes back to the French Connection. And then he did which was a William Friedkin movie. And then he did The Conversation, which was a Coppola movie that he did after the success of the Godfathers, and that movie is badass, and it really the whole movie centers around Hackman's performance and how he starts going crazy, is he gets more and more intertwined in the surveillance life, like that's a he's setting the stage in the early seventies for the kind of work he's going to do forever.
Speaker 2: He was also in the Poseidon adventure.
Speaker 1: You know, the ship, the big ocean liner gets turned upside down and one brave hero has to, you know, guide everyone to safety.
Speaker 2: Was he the hero? He's that guy, He's the Gene Heckman, He's that guy.
Speaker 1: And then you know, see, I maintain that Michael Kaine is one of the greatest actors of all time.
Speaker 2: But he's one of the greatest.
Speaker 1: It's like saying in uh, he's Scottie Pippen to me, I don't think he's ever gonna be Michael Jordan. And in some cases, Gene Hackman could morph into being Michael Jordan for your.
Speaker 2: Squad and if it was Hoosiers, so the two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like so obviously, when you start talking about who's the greatest actor of all time, a lot of people think it's Denzel Washington. And if you take Crimson Tide now You've got Denzel and Gene Hackman squaring off, and that is a badass movie. He's generally, I think this is what the impudence of the conversation was. I think he's a character actor for the most part. There's very few films where he was the leading man in it, right, but he's always a prominent part of it. Like, for example, you just mentioned that Denzel was the one A in that No Way Out. Kevin Costner was the one A in that. Actually during the French Connection, Scheider was your one A in that right now, he was the lead in the conversation for example. But he was generally more of a character actor than a lead doctor. I'd say he's not really a character actor, but he's also not really a lead dog.
Speaker 2: He's more of a but to me.
Speaker 1: Build movies around him, could there his roles that he was great for a movie, good enough to take you to a super Bowl, but he could in the right Michael Kine is like was even Michael.
Speaker 2: Kaine was definitely a character actor.
Speaker 1: Like not he's not even on Gene Hackman's quite on his level, but he's close, but he's not quite there.
Speaker 3: But what we're gonna say, well, I feel like we're kind of talking about these guys like theyre Trent Dilfer or Carry Collins or something. I feel like we're more in the Dak Kirk Cousins realm.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, okay, yeah, maybe so maybe so maybe that's where this conversation.
Speaker 2: Hackman is Dak.
Speaker 1: I think he's Dackman, and I think I think I'm blanking on the other dude, Michael Michael Kaine is who.
Speaker 2: Is that like Dak? I mean maybe Gene Hackman's romo and Dak is for an older crowd.
Speaker 1: Dak is Shane Falco in the replacement. I think I think Gene Hackman is Danny White. Okay, I can't expect that he got you do some he got you to some conference championship games, but he was also the punter and no one ever expected you to get to the super Bowl with Okay, so let's just look at it like this. In about eighty films, this is Gene Hackman's report card compared to in about one hundred and sixty films, Michael Kaine's report card Academy Awards. And he guesses on what the score is nominations or wins, wins. I think Gene Hackman won for Mississippi Burning.
Speaker 2: I believe. What do you think the score is there between those two actors. I think, yeah, one to nothing, Gene, it's.
Speaker 1: Two to two. Teach of them has two Academy Awards. Okay, well are they both for Supporting Actor?
Speaker 2: I don't have all that information. Okay, we'll get back to you.
Speaker 1: On that Golden Globes, the score is four to three Michael Kaine, because globes are more global. Gene Hackman has four and Michael Caine has three. Okay, British Academy Film Awards, Michael Kaine, now, Gene Hackman has two. Michael Kaine has won well, even the Brits, and then in Screen Actors Guild Awards they each have one. And so basically Michael Kaine, at the age of ninety one now has a few years to go, get some films, and if he could win one British Academy Film Award in one Golden Globe, he will tie the great Gene Hackman, and I think he will knock that out this year. Rest in peace, Gene Hackman. I'll never forget the time that Kat had a chance to be a presenter at the SAG Awards. He looked the entire audience dead in the eye. He stood up on that podium and he said, Jene's oscar was for the French Connection.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: He said that confirming a thought from an earlier time. Was it best supporting actor.
Speaker 3: Supporting actor was unforgiven. He was best actor French Connection. That's what I told.
Speaker 1: In your face, skin in my face. Christina's next here on the Eagle.
Speaker 2: There you going, well, I'm gonna get my sack bag. Dude, I got to take a boo book