Speaker 1: It's Night Size, Dan Ray, Dan Razy, Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, Madison. As we move into a Wednesday night, I'm halfway through the week now and we have a very interesting program coming up tonight. We're going to talk a little bit later on about the Papal Conclave, which is underway now formally in Rome. We'll also talk about the possibility of banning cell phones in Massachusetts schools, which I think is a pretty good idea. The President of the Massachusetts State Senate talked about that today and there are certainly other issues we could get into as well. My name's Dan Ray. I'm the host of night Side. I want to welcome Rob Brooks is off tonight, and so Brian but is running the board. Be kind to Brian. I think this is his first night. He's a veteran, but this is his first night running the board solo for Nightside. So we're in good hands with Brian, and you are in great here ends here on Nightside. We are going to start off our first hour, which we interview four guests with I think sometimes really vital information, and tonight, certainly this one is of vital importance. May is National Stop the Bleed Month, a time designated educate the public about bleeding, control severe bleeding from trauma. It's a leading cause of preventable death for people of all ages. With me is doctor David Shapiro. He is the vice chair of the Stop the Bleed Committee. Doctor Shapiro, Welcome to Nightside. How are you this evening? Doing well?
Speaker 3: Thank you, Dan, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: So this is Stop the Bleed A is associated with the American College of Surgeons. And I think all of us have heard about this situation where someone you know is bleeding badly, and I think what most of us only know is to put some pressure on it and try to prevent the bleeding. But I assume it involves a lot more than that.
Speaker 3: You'd be surprised Dan, how little more it includes. But that's an important step to start with. What we try to talk about is the fact that bleeding is the number one cause of preventable death after injury, just like you said, and it means that people who are bystanders should intervene when they can. This training offers that opportunity to learn what to do in that situation.
Speaker 2: So the training is free or available. As I understand that what how did How does one get that training? Is it complicated? You have to go to a seminar somewhere? Is it available online? What's what's the deal in that regard?
Speaker 3: There's a few ways to go get trained. One is you can go online to Stop the Bleed dot org slash save a Life, and there's actually a link that gives you opportunities based on where you are, to get trained by your local hospital or some local organizations that do it. Most training available in the US is free. All the training that I do, and I'm I'm in the West Hartford, Connecticut area. All the training that we do here is free. And I've actually been in Boston and the Boston area and trained up there, always for free. So people can go to the website, they can ask their local hospital or their local trauma surgeons and they'll teach them how.
Speaker 2: The Stop the Bleed website, which I've looked at and I'm looking at right now. Four million people have learned to stop the bleed. How long has this program been in existence? How did you get full million trained that quickly?
Speaker 3: Well, it's been about ten years since the program started, it'll be ten years later this year, and it started really as grassroots, but the goal is to get more people trained every day. Five million is a wonderful number, but it's a drop in the bucket compared to how many people there are around, and we want everyone to know how to do this. Just like if you've collapsed on the street, someone comes over, checks your pulse and then can start CPR. This is like thinking about CBR for bleeding.
Speaker 2: Now, I know a lot of people are going to get freaked out, and I'm sure that a lot of people will recoil from that if they see someone who, let's say, has been hit by a car or stuff at a of a difficult injury and they're bleeding. How do you get people over that psychological hump.
Speaker 3: Well, I think the most important thing that we can talk about there is the being ready. You would never hesitate to help your your spouse, your child, your brother's sister, et cetera. You'd always go into help. And we'd always expect that at the scene of any bleeding emergency, or any crash or any accident, that someone would be there to help our loved ones. So we want to provide that kind of reciprocal care. If I'm there to help, I'm going to help. And that's why this program is so important. It's easy and it's straightforward. The training is less than an hour, and it's once and you know the material.
Speaker 2: Wow, this sounds like a great program and it's one that virtually everybody can take advantage of. I know that every month we have you know, different causes in different months and all that, but May is national Stop the Bleed Month. In May twenty second is National Stop the Bleed Day. So all you have to do is go to the website Stop the Bleed dot org. It looks to me some of the photographs that I see in the website, everybody seems to be working with it looks like what I guess is a limb or you know, you know, uh, you're not obviously using human beings here. What are they working on there? I noticed that they're pressing down on this, uh sort of you know, light pink.
Speaker 3: We we actually offer them in all colors and they're meant to represent all people. These are they're actually a prosthetic limb. They're just a piece of great foam rubber that's designed to be the same shape as a leg or arm, so that we can teach people the three important steps of stop the bleed. Those those techniques. Those three techniques include direct pressure, like you've already said, okay, packing where we actually forced gauz inside a wound to help put pressure on the inside. And then the application of a tourniquit, something that people have you know, had in their in their scout years a long time ago. And people learned to do the tourniquets years ago, but they kind of went by the wayside for a while, and they're back as of the last ten years. So those three techniques are what we teach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it looks pretty it looks pretty simple. It looks like people are enjoying this process. And again I want to encourage folks because hey, it could be me tomorrow that's on the street somewhere impleting and I want people to help me stop the bleed. Dot organ. I'm sure that everyone tonight, if it was, as you said, their spouse or their child or a dear friend, they would want some stranger to help. And this makes all the sense in the world. Do you have last question, doctor Shapiro. Do you have any idea? And I don't script these questions. I make them up as they go along. Do you have any idea. How many people's lives may have already been saved as a result of this program.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a difficult number to get to because if someone's life is saved, it's usually because somebody intervened early, and that's important. But we know that there are thousands upon thousands of these bleeding emergencies every day, and we see them all over the world, and they include things as simple as an accident with a knife for a window, or a car crash or even violence. All those things are amenable to this treatment. So that's what's important, is being ready because just like for CPR, we never want to have to use it, but if we're put of the situation, we should be ready.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You know the reason I asked that question is many years ago, got to be probably close to thirty years ago. I was in a restaurant and a guy stood up and he was he had some food stuck. He couldn't make any noise, and I knew right away this guy's choking, and I went overtook me three times, but the third time was a charm, and he popped a piece of chicken out by using the Hemelick maneuver. I just responded I had just done a story on it, and I was in television at the time and had learned the Heimlich maneuver, the idea of you know, you take and you get it right underneath the sternum and you really give them a jolt and the Heimlich maneuver. They keep track of how many people because I got this award from them, a certificate and all of that. So maybe that's something that you folks would stop the bleed might consider to do when someone actually it's proven that they that they saved someone, a little bit of acknowledgment might go a long way.
Speaker 3: I totally agree with you and thank you for saving that life, because I'll bet when you got trained to do the heim mcaneuver, it wasn't that day you remembered and it was really important there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a few weeks prior, but it was pretty simple. It's like, you know, you know, basically, you know, you know what it is. You take your thumb, the the the the the knuckle on your thumb and you drive it up under the asternam. I just sort of did it myself, and it took me three shots at it, to be honest with it, didn't it didn't work perfectly, but it's it's saved when one person's life. So anyway, thank you so much, doctor Shapiro. I really appreciate you taking the time tonight and I'm going to check out the course myself and I been well.
Speaker 3: Thanks Dan, Thanks for spreading the word. It's so important all.
Speaker 2: Of us pleasure, my pleasure. Thank you so much. Well, that's a great That was really something that I thought was really interesting, and I hope you find I hope you found that as interesting as I did. Uh. Let's in a moment. We're going to talk about a program that maybe is not as dramatic, but equally important. It's called Operation Warm. Stay with us. We're going to talk with a Partnership Direct Partnership's director of Operation Warm, Rich Lally. Well than two thirds of kids in under resourced communities were shoes that are too small. Uh, we'll be right back here on Nightside. My name is Dan Ray. You listen to WBZ in Boston.
Speaker 1: If you're on night Side with Dan Ray on WZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Well, we talked briefly during the break the fact that two thirds of kids in underresourced communities we're shoes that are too small the right pair of shoe whose big deal for growing feet? Nonprofit Operation Warm shares how new footwork can boost confidence, school attendance, and well being. And they also do more than just shoes with us, as Rich Lally Partnerships, Director of Operation Warm tell us about the organization generally Rich and then let's talk about what is needed at this time of year, what is most needed at this time of year.
Speaker 4: Sure, Dan, thanks for having me on. So Operation Warm is a nationally active nonprofit organization. We've been around for a little over twenty five years, and we provide brand new clothing, specifically brand new shoes and brand new winter codes to children living in need. Last year, across North America, we served about one point two million children, and in the Boston area we did tens of thousands of children. So shoes are what's really in need at this time of the year. Obviously we're beyond the coach season at this time, but you know, kids grow pretty rapidly and they'll go through a pair of shoes every four months or so when they're in that growth spurt.
Speaker 2: So maybe the shoes that they got less September for back to school now are too small.
Speaker 4: Now you say they're too small.
Speaker 2: You said North America. Does does this program extend beyond the borders of the US to Canada, Mexico or or was that we go into.
Speaker 4: We go into Canada. We're primarily in the United States, but we've got a fair number of partners in Canada as well.
Speaker 2: Okay, now I assume you're not looking for old shoes. I assume you said that you're you're looking for new shoes.
Speaker 4: Right, Well, we provide new shoes, but actually we don't at the scale that we're operating, we don't take in donations of goods. We have them manufactured for us, and so we have them packaged in a way that facilitates distributing coats or shoes to children at distribution events. We make sure the quality is all up to snuff. We have a lot of lots of different colors that the kids can choose from. And the way we handle all of that is through the financial contributions that we get from a wide range of community partners and foundations and carring individuals and corporations and even some governmental units.
Speaker 2: Okay, so if folks want to I don't have any corporations listening to me or governmental units, but I do have Yeah, that's individuals. If there are individuals out there who would like to help you out, what is the best way to be in contact. I assume you have a good website.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we have a great website. It's operationworm dot org. That's Operation warm Warms and not cold warm dot org. And you know when you're there, you can make a contribution if you want, twenty five dollars will provide a pair of shoes and two pairs of socks that have a retail value of just about fifty to a child in need. The other thing is that if your listeners are a part of a church that likes to give back in their community, or maybe it's a union local. We work with a lot of union firefighters, and we work with a couple of other unions as well. I think we work with the electrical workers in the Boston area. Or if they're worth some kind of a club like a rotary club or a Kawanas club that does a lot of service work in their community. Those organizations can sign up to be a community partner and they raise funds and then they donate the funds to us. But tell us what local beneficiary organization they would like to coach or shoes to go to. And oftentimes those members then will go to the organization and literally help the kids pick out their own shoes and help them try them on, make sure they fit properly. And I'll tell you what, that's a fantastic experience to do that.
Speaker 2: So Operation One, how long have you folks been operating? How long you've been around?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we started in nineteen ninety eight when our founder saw some kids without coats on a day when it was snowing in the Philadelphia area. He bought every coat at the apartment stored in fifty eight coats. And last year we did over a million coats and two hundred and twenty five thousand pairs of shoes.
Speaker 2: So you have you the need continues, but you have grown to try to fill that need. That sounds oh yes, that's a great shot.
Speaker 4: I mean in the Boston area alone, last year we had requests for eight thousand pairs of shoes and we were only able to provide shoes to sixteen hundred kids. So nationally the numbers are huge. It's you know, something like seven hundred thousand pairs of shoes were requested across the country and six hundred thousand of those went unfulfilled.
Speaker 2: Wow boy, But you know again, the fact that you were out there doing it and with the help of individuals, I assume you were a five O one C three. So any donations that listeners make is it is a charitable deduction, assuming they adamized on their taxes.
Speaker 4: That's correct. Yeah, we're definitely a five oh one C three. There's no profits associated with our company at all. Every penny that we bring in is used to order more coats or more shoes and then get them to more beneficiary organizations like schools and nonprofit organizations that serve low income families.
Speaker 2: Sometimes. I know the groups that I talk to, like you always like to acknowledge if they have a huge corporate sponsor. I'm just wondering if there's any particular organization that you'd like to cite for being supportive. Again, I'm the doc here, but I just want to always ask.
Speaker 4: Now, we've got three that I'd like to mention. Subaru. We're one of their six court charities and they do a program. Every one of their dealers does a program with US across the country, and FADEX is Hughes. They do about seventy eight to eighty different schools all across North America. Every kid in the school gets a brand new code or a brand new pair of shoes, are both from their employees. And then close to you is TJX. I think their headquarters in scenario. Yeah, right, you've got one of their executives is on our board and they're growing with us and doing programs in the cities where they have distribution centers.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm glad I asked that question. We don't script questions here, and it's just what comes up in my mind.
Speaker 4: So that's why I appreciate the opportunity, because those folks really really help make it happen. But so you know, I found I've been doing this. I've been in with Operation Warm since two thousand and nine and so quite a while. And what I find is when you're trying to make an impact in the community, you need lots of donations. You need lots of small donations and a few big donations, and you know, every little bit helps. So twenty five dollars provides a brand new pair of shoes with two pairs of socks to it.
Speaker 2: That's great. That sounds great. I really enjoyed our conversation. You're doing great work. Rich Lally Partnerships Director Operation Warm operationwarm dot org. Thanks so much. Appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Appreciate it. Great evening.
Speaker 2: Right back at you. Okay, when we get back, going to talk about a battle up in Lowell about allowing underage patrons at Lowell pubs. We're going to talk with a reporter for the Lowell Son, Melanie Gilbert. It's interesting. I read the story, I got some questions, and Melanie has the answers. My name's Dan Ray. You're listening WBZ in Boston. Of course, we're in iHeart radio station. You can pull down the new improved iHeart app. You can make WBZ your number one presets. So wherever you are, anywhere in the world, anytime during the day or night, you'll be able to get to us. You'll just be a fingertip away. We're just a couple of minutes away right after the news here at the bottom of the ear. My name's Dan Ray, and you're listening to nights Side.
Speaker 1: If you're on Night Side with Dan Ray, I'm WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right. Melanie Gilbert is a reporter for the Lowell Son. Hi Melanie, Welcome to Nightside. How are you tonight?
Speaker 5: Well, hey Dan, this is my first time on your show, so thank you for inviting me.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm sure it won't be your last, because we really do like we like the Lowell Sun. It's it's a great city and it's a great newspaper and they have great reporters and so you've done this story than you. Underage patrons are welcome at Lowell pubs. I read the article, which is interesting, and I'd love to hear your take on it because I guess the loophole of the pub is as long as they serve food, a pub, it oftentimes could be just a pub's not a bar. I guess is that the distinction we're talking about here.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, it's a really interesting story. And I got to tell you, Dan, I cover the municipal beat and Lowell, which you know sounds like a big yawner, right, you know. I cover the Health Department, the school committee and the city council and stuff like that, and one of my beats is the license commission. But I'm telling you that's where the magic happens. You know, these cities run on these little these little municipal meetings where all this stuff goes down. So this was a hearing, a violation hearing for the Blue Shamrock, which is the guy who's been in business for like thirty years. And Nick petrakis he's got he's a larger than life personality, really invested in the community. Runs a lot of donation, you know, he runs a sun Santum for the low charities and a lot of charitable events. So he's you know, he's a well rounded, well respected guy. But he's had issues with underage patrons coming into his bar. So he was busted. The bar was busted. So the License Commission is the little sleeping municipal body that regulates liquor licenses in the city. So when the police go out and do you know, a sting operation, Let's say they go into a bar and if they see somebody that they think or you know, what's typically going to be what's considered a bar, even though Loull doesn't have bars, they have pub restaurants.
Speaker 2: Yeah, little Samantha goal here, but at least we understand it, okay.
Speaker 5: Well, or is there one of the police captains. The technicality, you know, and he said, we're not going to change our enforcement. So they go into the bar and if they see people who they think are under age, they ask them prid, well, you know, these people aren't in that bar by accident. The IDs they have they pass. There's a thriving market and fake IDs that have the stippling, they have, the holograms they have, you know, they're pretty good and I guess they cost around three hundred dollars and these kids can order them from China and they get into these bars. And so the bar uses sort of a you know, a screening system, but it's not sophisticated like the police scanner system that they use, which connects to the state police database. So the cops can say, show me your ID and they scan it and it's fraudulents. So they go into the Blue Shamrock at like one o'clock in the morning on March first, which is you know, Friday night into Saturday morning, and they I buy two women sitting at the bar and they think they're under age. They card them their IDs are is the police report said, clearly fraudulent, and so they criminally cite them and then they give the bar a violation notice, which brings them before the license commission for a hearing. So the license commission is a body that says, you've sinned, we're going to suspend your license, or you've sinned, we're going to be a second chance, or you have to do remedial training or whatever. So you know, Nick comes in, Nick Patratus, who's the owner. He comes before the license commission. He says, look, yeah, they're underage, but I'm not a bar, I'm a restaurant. And they didn't have any drinks. They weren't served, they didn't have any drinks in their hands, they didn't have any drinks in front of them. They were there for the food.
Speaker 2: I think, I think win this game.
Speaker 5: Well, you know this is this is why I'm going to be there. May fifteenth is the follow up hearing. And it's a really good you know, you always hear that thing, is there a distinction with a difference, and sometimes there are things that are difference with no distinction. This has both isn't difference and a distinction. So he's clear. You know, he has a kitchen, he's a really good menu. I looked at his menu the other day. I thought, man, I got to get in there and get myself a burger.
Speaker 2: But you're over rage. Now, that's that's an important Here's the problem with the women who were who were nailed. Obviously they were if they had fake id's, they were not over twenty one. I assume how young they were.
Speaker 5: I believe Captain Peasley, who testified before the Liquor Commission, said that they were eighteen. So they were eighteen and nineteen, so they you know, they're not high schoolers, which has been an issue in the past. Yeah, intact, this particular bar has been cited for having underage like this.
Speaker 2: Is this is this. Were they sitting at what we would call the bar, or they had a couple at a table, they were at the bar.
Speaker 5: They were sitting at the bar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so, but.
Speaker 2: No alcohol in front of them when they were carded by the police.
Speaker 5: That's correct. And Nick says, too many people get past the doormen or the door people, you know, and so they're IDs. And so he says the bartenders are are much better, and I spind fake id's and that they use pen lights and black light and they can, you know, they can. I guess there's a certain sickness to the IDs issued by the states, they're not flimsy, and that fake id's are sort of flimsy, you know. So there's a lot of dimensions to the story. What really caught my eye, And you know, I go to these meetings because you never know, this is.
Speaker 2: Let me, this is the best form of journalism. This is local journalism. This is what newspapers are supposed to do. Hat's awesome.
Speaker 5: You just go into yes, well, thank you. And you know, I love these meetings. I eat the municipal beat for breakfast function dinner because this is where this stuff pops and it's just nuts. So I was sitting there, you know, there's doodling, and all of a sudden my ear ears pricked up because then I realized that we've got a story here, and it kind of reminded me of that joke. You know, two women walk into a bar, you know, so they say, you know, a pre so, oh my gosh, this is like too good. And so the young women, I wonder if they're cases. I'm gonna have to pull the police report, but I wonder if their cases are going to be tossed out too. So you know, the deal is is that you know, when you go into Applebee's. You going to California Kitchen and you're going to Chief Kake Pactory. Those places aren't open till two o'clock in the morning. They're family style restaurants.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: You see families going into those places and they ordered liquor, and you can have liquor served to your table. You might have a six year old sitting there, and it's not a big deal because the vibe is different. But you know, a club or a nightclub or a bar, it's you're there for one thing to drink, you know, And I think that's sort of you know. So in Low though, they didn't want bars, so they made it an ordnance that there are no bars, there are restaurants that serve liquor. So this is the sticky wicket that I mentioned earlier, is that the law Department said, when you know, you guys, you you guys with a liquor commission, you pass this ordinance that you said. As long as they hold a restaurant license, there is no there's no violation. You know, they're not to you right here, since blue shamrock as a common uh you know light vitually, I don't.
Speaker 6: Say the word right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thank you, Thank you, you saved me. License holder is classified as a restaurant with an alcohol license, so it's not an alcohol place that's serving food. It's a restaurant serving alcohol, which is a whole different thing. It is not unlawful for them to admit patrons under twenty one years of age, provided they are only served food and not alcohol. Now, the thing that's going to be discussed on May fifteenth is, you know, this was one o'clock in the morning. Was the kitchen open? So the License Commission has requested uh the payroll records of the employees who were on duty that night, and I'm sure that's going to be one of the questions they asked. And this is the thing that you know, you're a journalist. You remember when you can get more than one bite of the apple. You're like in dreamland. Right, it's not a one and done story.
Speaker 2: Continued to be continued Melanie. I love your enthusiasm. Do me a favorite. We're going to I'll ask my producer to get back to you after the day eight of May fifteenth, or if you get a chance to call Marita back. We'd love to know how the story ends. I think I think he may be on solid ground here, but we'll see. We'll see how they normally is the ABC seed that's doing this, the Alcohol Beverage Control Commission, they do that too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, well that's what law enforcement has, the boots on the ground sort of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a state. That's a state. See, Melanie, love your enthusiasm, got enthusiasm, But I got to let you go because I got one more guest coming up and a quick commercial break that We've gone a little longer than I should, but I enjoyed it thoroughly and hope to soon. I mean, like this, mom, Okay, thanks Melanie, talk soon, all right, real quick. Got to get to a break and we come back. We're going to talk about a cancer survivor who is basically turned the legal industry, had a real impact on the legal industry because of her experience. She's a lawyer. We'll talk with and Fava right after the break.
Speaker 1: Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Dendra Fava, you practice Lauren, Morristown, New Jersey. Right, I've been in Morristown route to eighty seven. What's going on with the music here? Brian? Okay, Sandra, can you hear.
Speaker 6: Me, I can.
Speaker 2: Okay, I got you this big introduction here. You practice Lauren Morristown, right, I do.
Speaker 6: My office was located in Morristown, New Jersey.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 2: I know Morristown, Peeback, Gladstone, that Neck of the Woods route to eighty seven. I know it very well. So you have dealt you're a breast cancer survivor, yes, okay, and your your mom and your practicing attorney. I happen to be a member of the bar here in Massachusetts, so I just can imagine what you would have had to have gone through as a woman with breast cancer, but also as someone who is trying to keep a law practice alive. Yeh've done much more than that. You now have rewritten the rules for women at work, explained to us that place.
Speaker 5: Four.
Speaker 6: So during the pandemic, in about early September of twenty twenty, I was diagnosed with stage three best breast cancer. So I had to make a lot of quick decisions. I was at that time a partner at a large national law firm in one of their in their Morristown actually office location, had a robust practice book of business as a family law practitioner here in New Jersey, and so it's a COVID. I have three kids who at the time were eight, six, and four or thereabouts, maybe even a little younger at.
Speaker 1: The start of it.
Speaker 6: I have my spouse who happens to also be an attorney. So we're all, you know, working remote and now I have to deal with surgery, chemotherapy, radiation, more surgery, lots of doctor's appointments, being very careful because your immune system is completely shot as a result of that. You know, the treatment that ultimately did save my life, and I'm very grateful for and you know, I tell people that I'm not always certain if it was the pandemic or really the breast cancer, but at that point in time, I really had like an awakening as I came through it and realized that, in particular, you know, the large firm that I was at while they tried to give me support, and I you know, couldn't knock the efforts that were made at large. You know, the people at large. You really got the message that you were just the cog in the wheel. And you know, I could have I could have passed and it wouldn't have been a blip on anybody's radar. And I really started to think that while I am passionate about being an attorney, it.
Speaker 2: Would have been a big bloop. It would have been a Sandra, as you know, it would have been a big blip on your family's radar. Though.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, absolutely, that's.
Speaker 2: The other part of the equation.
Speaker 6: Go right ahead, Yeah, for sure. And you know my career, I worked very hard, as many attorneys do. You know, I don't come from a family of lawyers. My parents are immigrants, so I'm first generation in this country, first in my family to go to college and then to get a law degree. So I didn't have family help or mentors and things like that. So I always, you know, figured if I worked really hard, I would get to where I wanted to be, and in reality, that is what happened. But at the sacrifice of you know, taking care of my health and you know, my stress levels being high at all times. You know, I kind of operate best. I used to say when I was under like tremendous pressure or fire from all angles, and I really said, there's going to be no more of this. My family. Myself comes first, actually, because without me, my family is going to be in the rough, rough spot. And then you know, my family and being there for my children and my spouse. Those are my priorities. And I kind of lived that. I didn't just say it, I did it. And I made a huge transition within my practice, and interestingly enough, my clients were really receptive. I still brought on new clients. I was very clear with the rules of engagement as far as my availability, which you know, pre COVID and pre you know, emails and Apple phones and all of these things was the way people practiced law. Right, You make a phone call, you send a letter, you send a fact, you know. But with time and as technology advances, you know, there's an expectation that you'll be available all the time, at any time of the day or night, you know, and at an expense. And that comes from the top down, whether it's leadership in your firm or organization, whether it's from the courts of the adversaries, clients, you know, all of the above. And so I really just made my engagement terms very clear kind of with everybody. You know, I'm going to work and I'm going to do everything that I need to do for whoever needs it to be done. But you know you won't be able to reach me during the week on these you know, after this hour and on the weekends, if there's an emergency, you should call the police because I can't really help you anyway, you know, I can, I'm not I can be your therapist and do that. And that's an important part of my job to understand and hear people and listen to people. But also there has to be kind of a line. And most people, you know, when you say it out loud to them, they're like, yeah, of course, sure, no problem. And it kind of really changed knowing that the clients and you know, those people were accepting of that. Then I had to work on the organization and that was less of a positive experience. You know, several women left, are partners left at the same time that I like, And a lot of it had to do with this expectation that you know, this would be your number one priority at all times, at all levels.
Speaker 2: So so you you left the big firm and now have your own practice. It sounds to me like you're the big firm. Yes, wasn't. Wasn't with you on this. I will predict that probably you're gonna be a You're going to be a rain maker for yourself. And a lot of the clients maybe who would have gone to the big firm, are going to gravitate towards you because they will probably will respect your integrity and your courage.
Speaker 6: Well, thank you, that's really nice of you to say, Dan, And you know, I do try to live all areas of my life with integrity, and you know, doing things that I believe in doing the right thing, not just for self gain or not for self gain, but because it's the right thing to do. You know, my father, who's bout collar, you know, to have taught me and my sibling from a very young age. You know, you don't have anything if you don't have your integrity. So it's important for me to be able to put my head on a pillow at night, close my eyes and not worry about if I did the right thing. I mean, I do that with my children because I think as a parent we always second guess ourselves. But certainly I didn't want to do that in my professional career.
Speaker 2: I will bet you tell you. I will bet you that a lot of your clients probably respect your boundaries and they're probably very happy to have you as they're representative in whatever matter you're dealing with them on. So I say, hats off to you. I wish more lawyers thought like that. All of us who ever practiced law know what the partner track is and it's no fun. And you were a partner and even at that point you realize that it wasn't what you wanted to do, and you had the guts and the courage to turn it around. So I say, congratulations, Sandra. And if how could folks, we have a lot of listeners in New Jersey, folks want to get in touch with you. Give us a quick way in which they can reach out to you.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, so.
Speaker 6: Obviously you can go to my website Favolawanjay dot com. You can follow me my travel law on Instagram. I have a Facebook page. Obviously, I'm on LinkedIn. You know, all of those ways and my contact informations, my phone number, email, all of that's on the website.
Speaker 2: That's great. Congratulations, congratulations on your recovery and may that continue for decades. I hope thank you great health for the rest of your life. And your kids and your husband are blessed to have you as part of their family.
Speaker 6: And I thank you so much, Dan, that means a lot.
Speaker 2: My pleasure pleasure to have met you. Sandrew, all right, we will. We will come back and we're going to talk back after nine o'clock. We're going to talk about an idea that is now being seriously considered long overdue, and that's getting cell phones out of public school classrooms here in Massachusetts. We'll explain right after the nine o'clock nots