Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon, and you're listening to kf I A M six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. I would imagine if you did enough thunderstruck, you would get arthritis.
Speaker 2: Not in all, but all, can you post a picture for me of Trump riding a bicycle? Good point.
Speaker 3: I'm curious.
Speaker 2: I don't think they're.
Speaker 1: That guy should be signed up by the Biden campaign. He defends everything that's lovely.
Speaker 4: We're talking also about that fin whale that showed up off the beach or on the beach.
Speaker 2: I should say torce dude.
Speaker 4: First of all, yesterday when I saw the whale, I scream it's.
Speaker 5: And everybody looked.
Speaker 2: At me like I was crazy.
Speaker 5: But that's fine.
Speaker 2: I'm good with that.
Speaker 1: But right now I'm at work and thank god none of my clients are home because y'all ask what day it is?
Speaker 2: What do we do? And what did I yell? We blow it? That's a good girl.
Speaker 4: That's what we do here, of course, that's what we do.
Speaker 2: It's time for swamp watch.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 4: The swamp is horrible.
Speaker 2: The government doesn't work. Man, make it like a reality TV show, A bad noos always a pleasure to be anywhere from Washington, d C. Hey, Joe, A town.
Speaker 4: Hall too clearly built on a swamp in so many ways, still a swamp.
Speaker 2: I have to watching my work. Nobody said, drained the swamp.
Speaker 1: I said, oh, that's so, you know, can I get some major alert sounds?
Speaker 4: Not what your dad booty?
Speaker 5: Showing me the booty?
Speaker 4: Give me the booty?
Speaker 2: Will these you could keep the booty music by show me the booty.
Speaker 1: We are taking our moodies and we are going to the d n C and we will be in Chicago.
Speaker 2: We missed the first one and we felt dumb stupid.
Speaker 1: I don't know how we missed the RNC, but we did, and we.
Speaker 2: Are not going to miss this circus.
Speaker 1: So we will be there in Chicago in what a week we're going next week?
Speaker 4: I don't ask me. I have been so discombobulated about what day is.
Speaker 2: I know, I know there's a lot going on. Well, the next Monday is the nineties, So yes, next Monday will be I.
Speaker 1: Mean, you're moving your daughter out of state, and then you're going to the convention, and then I'm going to Dallas.
Speaker 2: We've got a lot going on. Yeah, are you Okay, I'm.
Speaker 1: Are you living your emotional cycle already?
Speaker 4: No, here's the thing is, I've started packing already because I'm trying to figure out exactly what I'm going to need, and there's some like some equipment stuff that we're going to underwear.
Speaker 1: Make sure to bring enough underwear for a two week vacation.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm not going to Bryce Canyon or something like that. There are places that if I don't bring underpant I can buy underwhee.
Speaker 2: But what's the deal with us packing underwear? We always packed too much underwear, don't we? Who do you?
Speaker 1: Me and everybody else in the world. We overpack underwear when we go places.
Speaker 4: I'm a one, I'm a plus one. Count your days plus one.
Speaker 1: Shocking to me because I do remember a trip where you ran out and you had to turn him inside out.
Speaker 2: You always need extra Yeah, yes, Jacob and I.
Speaker 4: You're referring to a time I went to go to my parents' house.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter where you were you ran out. No, I didn't.
Speaker 4: I didn't take any you didn't take I mean it was whatever I was wearing at the time was what I was So it was it was a hot weekend anyway, nobody, what is that about? Speaking of the convention, We do now know that Kamala Harris is set to formally accept the nomination on the two on the twenty second, that's Thursday night, traditional set up usually, But we do have some more prominent figures that are set to speak at the convention. President Joe Biden, former Presidents Barack Obama and Bill Clinton, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. They have all been confirmed as speakers at the convention. Obama and the Clintons, they delivered speeches during the twenty twenty DNC. Obviously, it was held virtually in front of the part that looked like a drive in theater. There is a there is rumor that former President Jimmy Carter's grandson Jason, could be a speaker as a representative for his father. Will take place with just there's not confusion now, but when Biden stepped down from the ticket, there was confusion about what that what that convention was going to look like. So of course you will get Tim Walls. His big night is probably going to be Wednesday. Kamala Harris big night will be Thursday, and all of the speakers, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Once we get a.
Speaker 4: Little bit closer to it, we'll know more about what each night is going to.
Speaker 1: Kamala Harris has backed the elimination of taxes on tips for hospitality and service workers. This was a policy first suggested my former President Trump. It's an interesting position to take, considering we are so overtipping everywhere we go because of these stupid tablets. They spin them around often more often than not, they start at fifteen percent, eighteen percent, twenty percent, what have you? Sure you can alter it and go down to ten percent or what have you. I'm an overtipper anyway, so it's when you suggest to me to overtip, I'm going to probably do it. And I think that a lot of people are the same way, especially when you've got that dude looking back at you who just made your bagel, you know, and he sees you he's yeah, I mean, I will tip the bagel people. You don't tip the bagel people.
Speaker 2: No, And I don't know if that's a bad thing for me, No, it's probably good. A whole lot of effort into it, you know.
Speaker 1: There's there's also the rule of if I'm not sitting down at a table and you're serving me I'm not going to tip you if I'm walking up to the counter ordering a bagel. That's your job. You're not going above and beyond. Yet I'm a dumbass, and I fall for it every time. I mean, did well, yes the tweet.
Speaker 2: Yes you are a dumbass. No it's not.
Speaker 4: I was going to say, yes, there's got to be a calculus in your own head about what exactly did that person do for me.
Speaker 1: I just think it's a sore subject right now for a lot of people that they feel like they're being taken advantage of with those tablets in the tipping, so to highlight it, I guess as part of one of the first things we're hearing about what your policies are going to look like.
Speaker 2: Is odd.
Speaker 4: I will say, if if any even in the stem situation circumstance where somebody is I'm standing there standing and they do something that's particularly good or nice, or their.
Speaker 2: Customer service tells me you have a right ass.
Speaker 4: Or something anything, your eyes are delightful, something like that, they'll get a tip, because I want to encourage that kind of customer service.
Speaker 2: But if you're just like I mean, you could barely be bothered to.
Speaker 4: Make eye contact or to finish your conversation with your coworkers before you pay attention to the customer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're gonna get a big middle finger.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. I couldn't agree more. I went and got a sandwich the other day, and I just have a problem when people are not efficient. It's like you're making a How long could this possibly take? I used to do this. I know it's seconds. It can be seconds. Do they feel like they're Sam and they're shooting the A s with their friends? And oh and this and one pickle here, and I'll pick a piece of lettuce here and put that on. Just lack a daisical and not customer focused.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, it's feeding time and they don't know it.
Speaker 4: Yes, I wanted to read just the present former president's tweet about Kamala Harris and the tips thing. He wrote, Kamala Harris, whose honeymoon period is ending and is starting to get hammered in the polls, just copied my no taxes on tips policy. The difference is she won't do it, she just wants it for political purposes. This was a Trump idea. She has no ideas. She can only steal from me. Remember, Kamala has proposed the largest tax increase in history. It won't happen. Make America great again. I assume this is going to come up tonight. Former President Trump is sitting down with Elon Musk for an interview on Twitter. And according to Elon Musk, there are no holds barred. There is nothing that is off limits. I don't think he would have agreed to do the interview if there was, but that the Trump campaign has said you can ask anything and listen. They've done this before. You remember, it wasn't that long ago when Ron de Santis sat down with Elon Musk to try to announce that he was going to run for president, and it was a technological nightmare and really was kind of hamstrung that DeSantis campaign early on. But we'll see if it happens today. It's supposed to be on former President Trump's Twitter account.
Speaker 1: Garian Shannon will continue with all of the rest, including JD Vance and drag.
Speaker 2: How about that? Well something nice for you Cary This Monday.
Speaker 4: Gary and Shannon will continue. Also, Connor wrote us a swamp Watch song. Really yeah, Okay. One of the big stories that we have followed internationally is that The Jerusalem Post is reporting, and so is Fox, that Iran could carry out an attack on Israel in the coming days. There is a summit on the hostage deal negotiations that's supposed to take place on Thursday. It would be very fitting if, in fact, they did some sort of an attack before then. Also, this is a big time Jewish holiday. I'm going to say it incorrectly. Tisha Bov marks the destruction of Temple and is a big deal. And they make a big deal out of anniversaries and commemorations like that, So that could potentially be something to keep an eye on. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin did order a guided missile submarine to the Middle East and is telling the USS Abraham Lincoln Aircraft Carrier Strike Group to steam forth quickly and get over there as quickly as possible.
Speaker 1: Former President Trump set to sue the Justice Department for one hundred million dollars in damages over the government's unprecedented twenty twenty two raid on mar A Lago lawyers, arguing it was done with clear intent to engage in political persecution. He, by the way, will sit down for an interview with Elon Musk on X tonight interview will be hosted live on Trump's official account at five pm hour time. Former president was given access to the account after it was suspended by the previous owners of Twitter over the January sixth Capitol Riot. Musca endorsed him following last month's assassination attempt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he has not been shy about his political activities, I suppose lately. I mean, he's been very vocal about politics and why he thinks it's important. I mean, he was upset with Gavin Newsom in California. That's why he moved or will be moving SpaceX out of town, why he moved to Tesla headquarters back to Texas. There is a lot going on in Elon Musk's head, and I'll be curious to see how he handles this interview. Is it just going to be a slobber fest where he's just all over everything that Donald Trump does, or is this an actual attempt to bring some sort of clarification to some of the things.
Speaker 2: Because I don't know.
Speaker 4: For some reason, it appears that reporters and anchors that interview Donald Trump can't pin him down on things now, and I don't know if it's if it would be different for somebody who's that's not in the business of it.
Speaker 1: You can't sit there and just correct him over and over again. Well that's not necessarily true. Well no, they don't necessarily want to do that or whatever. You you'd spend the entire interview doing that doing that, And that's why he's hard to pin down because there's just so much misinformation or just a stream of consciousness.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's also an article ap the Associated Press went out and looked at previous debates that Kamala Harris has been involved with and predicted basically what that would look like with her and him on stage.
Speaker 2: At the same time, Hey.
Speaker 1: Here's the other thing. For people who think that we are unfairly going after Kamala Harris for her lack of doing an interview. Yet, we could play her off the cuff remarks from interviews she has done. But we're not doing that out of fairness. We could be playing clips of her sounding like a word salad when she's off the cuff, because the teleprompter thing is one thing that's all scripted.
Speaker 2: When she's off the cuff.
Speaker 1: She hasn't made a toll hell of a lot of sense in outings we have seen. We could go back and play that and try and parse out what exactly her policies would be based on her off the cuff remarks. But that would be unfair, wouldn't it. So I think we should get at least some points for that. We're not doing that.
Speaker 4: Uh, it's there's no Listen to me, there's no winner in either one of these, in either're one of these candidates. It just this is not the right we as an American public, are not given the right choices going forward.
Speaker 1: No, it's because the RNC, the DNC they are they are their own industry, and they make it They work together to make it very impossible for any other party.
Speaker 2: To break through.
Speaker 1: They make it very impossible by putting in rules that are our forefathers were terrified of seeing come to light. Our forefathers, our forefathers talked about John Adams and his ultimate political evil would be partisanship. Two parties that are too big to ever be brought down.
Speaker 2: And it's just the machine.
Speaker 4: You like you said, you're never going to take it down because it's the machine. And then all they do is churn through your money to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars.
Speaker 2: And that's not America? Is it? Is it America? It's not my America? Or is it America?
Speaker 1: Copyright twenty twenty four, Your Jeopardy Question Sure name calling for two hundred dollars. This man adapted Charles Brabier's Night Write writing code into a writing system for the blind.
Speaker 2: What is Braille? What's his first name? Dorothy Lewis? Lewis I stay? Get credit for it? More Olympic stuff? Who was ray Gun?
Speaker 4: What was the what's the whole fiasco with this Australian breaker that made it all the way to the Olympics.
Speaker 1: Oh, we got a funny message about that from an Australian.
Speaker 4: Oh great, that's what we need is Australians to Chicago.
Speaker 3: Yes, do you have any idea what's going to happen in Chicago next week?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: Hey, were you?
Speaker 2: I wouldn't go to Chicago.
Speaker 3: It's going to be a worone.
Speaker 1: We run from the news. Now, these colors don't run. Can I get that America stuff back?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Sorry, if there's news happening, this show is going to go and cover that news.
Speaker 4: Are we going to stand on the outside and look through the windows and go, oh, I think that thing is.
Speaker 1: Standing outside the fire. Nay, Garth Brooks. We are going in.
Speaker 2: We're going to stay on the sidelines. Do we stay on the sidelines. We stay on the side. Why we're going to stand on the pool deck?
Speaker 1: We dive into the deep end. Yes, we for America.
Speaker 4: Sometimes sometimes you got to go to that penalty box, but that means that you were in the arena in the first place.
Speaker 1: Yes, you fought the valiant fight for this country.
Speaker 2: Am I gonna let that horse ride itself?
Speaker 4: Hell?
Speaker 6: No, love the show listen every day. I gotta tell you, I'm an eighty year old woman. This is probably likely the last election I'll ever vote in.
Speaker 2: Say that.
Speaker 5: And when it comes down to it, whether it's Kamala or Trump, neither is qualified. Both are inept. Yes, and it's just a matter of choosing the lesser of two evils in your own mind and going from there.
Speaker 2: Don't we deserve better?
Speaker 1: We do deserve No, we don't. If you really want to get down to it, look at us. We walk around with these stupid computers in our hand.
Speaker 2: We don't talk to each other anymore. We play candy crush.
Speaker 1: We only talk to AI we are a dumb society that is distracted thousands of times a day by the smallest of distractions. The tension span is equal to that of a nat So yes, this is what we get. We're not paying enough attention to what matters.
Speaker 2: I was looking for something. No, I'm sorry, more positive than that.
Speaker 3: Hey, John from the riverside of John. Hey, I don't mean to complain, because complaining irritates me. But do you know those people that you try and avoid because they just drain all the good energy out of you because they're always negative. And what I feel like when I listen to you too anymore, all negativity. It's like those people you avoid because it's.
Speaker 2: Negative all the time. Wow, And sadly that's what's happening is I'm starting to avoid you too. No, trying to be positive.
Speaker 3: Not everything has to be political and negative.
Speaker 2: Yes, play them some music, Yes.
Speaker 6: Yeah, body body, boot booty, booty, possi booty, booty, booty, booty boy boody.
Speaker 2: You don't have to do that. Every time you're saying.
Speaker 4: He's saying, I know you like it, my booty. That's a positive thing. I know you like it, sure, and over and over and over again, he's re reiterating the point, right.
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 1: I felt that guy's vibe when I read the story about the boy's ice cream stand in Massachusetts.
Speaker 2: Have you heard this? No, so a boy was ready. Sounds like a good story, though, it sounds like it is.
Speaker 1: It's got a boy, and it's got ice cream, and he's twelve. He started the ice cream stand and make some money this summer. I saw some girls with a lemonade stand around the corner from my house yesterday.
Speaker 2: I love that kind of I love it. Yeah, capitalism in the summertime, the.
Speaker 1: Boys family decided that some of the proceeds would go towards the boy's brother's hockey club, the Boston Bear Clubs. In fact, well, that ice cream stand has now been shut down because someone reported it the Norwood Health Department.
Speaker 2: That's not happy. Isn't that awful?
Speaker 1: A little boy trying to make some money for his brother's hockey club in the summer when people are dying to have some ice cream on a hot day.
Speaker 2: Well, it sounds nice, doesn't it.
Speaker 4: Ice cream sounds very sure, that's what we should be paying attention to.
Speaker 2: Well, the Olympics are over. The Paralympics start in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 4: Americans Jordan childs, of course, in the controversy over her bronze medal, Steph Curried is amazing performance in the basketball game, the women's another gold in basketball, the final gold medal that was awarded. I mean, there's some great, great stories that came out of it. And then my favorite.
Speaker 1: Story, yeah, was the Australian breakdancer Reagan. Forget all the gold medals we won, tying China, the whole bit, running away with one hundred and forty or what have you when it comes to metals across the board. But the breakdancer Reygun goes viral. She failed to score a single point. And as one poster wrote, and this is brilliant, possessed by the spirit of Julia Stiles, because if there's one horrible dance performance in a movie, it is saved. The last dance at Juilliard that was atrocious, that should never have been presented. And the fact that the fictitional judgers and the movie thought that was great is belooney. It is great, a blooney And so was that breakdance routine. One of our friends says, my Australian girlfriend referred to it as Australia's darkest hour. She said that in a country of twenty five million people, many of whom are actually Indian and Chinese immigrants, the world was officially introduced to the typical native Australian woman, which she described as overconfident, underqualified, delusional.
Speaker 4: Well, I suppose the good news is she'll never do it again, at least not on a national international stage, because there is no plan to bring breaking back for the la Olympics in twenty eight She's a thirty six year old lecturer at Maccarie University, said that she has faced one of the most brutal social media backlashes of the entire games. This was a listen first. I was reading through this article from Fox Sports about the genesis of how she came to be the representative for Australia in this sport. There is so much and I mean, this is an I shouldn't say nothing because I'm sure that there are some people who are listening who are deeply involved in breaking. This is a sport that has such a small footprint in the world, but had a massive, massive ripple effect when it was announced in twenty nineteen that it was going to be part of the Paris Olympics, to the point whar that in Australia it was completely disorganized. When in twenty nineteen it was announced that it was going to be there, there was no this is going to blow you away. Australia had no recognized national federation of break dancing in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: So she said, why don't we put it together? And that's the best she got. You would have done a better job. They did.
Speaker 4: Hold October of last year, they did a breaking championship at Sydney Town Hall, fifty two competitors, thirty seven be boys and fifteen be girls, and that she took gold in the be girls category.
Speaker 2: I don't know how, I don't know. She did look oddly confident.
Speaker 1: Yes, like if I put together that performance, I would not have that.
Speaker 4: Bravado she You would have been smiling out of I would be crying embarrassment.
Speaker 2: Yes, not smile out of confidence. I would like be hitting myself like this.
Speaker 4: Obviously, the Olympics coming to la in twenty twenty eight. The eighty four Olympics here in la is widely considered one of the most financially successful Summer Games programs that we've ever had. Part of the reason why is we didn't have to build a bunch of new stuff for the eighty four Olympics.
Speaker 2: We had it in place.
Speaker 4: The question is whether we're going to be able to replicate that for twenty twenty eight. Former Mayor Eric Garcetti said he expects the city would turn about a billion dollars in profit in the twenty twenty eight Olympics. There was a question posed on the Internet of which sports that are currently in the Olympics would you want to get rid of? And it was an interesting look at kind of the way people from different countries look at some of the sports that we watch on a regular basis. They said race walking was the number one thing they wanted to get rid of in the Olympics because it looks really weird. It's this, yeah, because you have to have one foot on the ground at all times, so you do that as fast as you can.
Speaker 1: I come from a long line of women who do this, especially like when they're shopping, just like fast walkers.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of arm swinging fast walkers.
Speaker 4: Another thought was the modern steeple chase needed to be replaced with its original version. The steeple chase is the one where they're running around the track. I don't know how long, it's five thousand meters or whatever it is, and then they jump over different they jump over different height hurdles basically, and then one of them is a water jump where they landed the original steeplechase.
Speaker 2: Tigers.
Speaker 4: Well, the original steeplechase you did out in the woods, I mean naked. Well, there's that, I mean, but that would have been very early on. But you would do it in rivers, creeks, hedges that you'd have to jump over. I don't think you want to jump over a hedge with your doodlely bits hanging. You don't want to catch those on a branch.
Speaker 2: Well, they clear the hurdles while they clear the hedge.
Speaker 4: Men's football, the soccer competition, they said that should be done with, done away with because of the rules about who can play. FIFA apparently has very strict rules about professionals playing in in the Olympic Games, dressage, anything involving horses or equestrian events because of the potential to injure the horses.
Speaker 1: The equestrian events, remember we learned last week were the only ones where you weren't nude Originally, if there was a horse, you had pants on.
Speaker 2: That's how good.
Speaker 4: Actually, that's probably a pretty good rule for all of life. Sure, if there is a horse, keep your pants on. Others called out boxing because of the scoring system that's involved.
Speaker 2: Golf is boring.
Speaker 4: Surfing has no place because there's too much natural variance in the waves.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 4: And I had a conversation with a friend who said, if you can't measure it objectively, then how could you possibly ever have an actual competition between two people.
Speaker 2: So I looked up old sports that have been.
Speaker 4: X made from the old Olympics, and there's a bunch of variations on the things that we see anyway, Like the sixty meter dash was part of the Olympics for a couple of years. What about eighty meter hurdles? What about the tug of war? Tug of War was a good one. They did walking events for women, especially stone throws.
Speaker 2: What about motor boating that was in there.
Speaker 4: I saw that and that's what I was laughing at during the break. I'm twelve, but I don't know what it actually involved. Was it racing a motor boat?
Speaker 2: You don't know what motor boating is.
Speaker 4: Well, I just I just want to make sure I'm thinking of the right thing. They used to do the rope climb. You did rope climb in junior high They used to do that as part of the gymnastics events in the Olympics. They also did something called plunge for distance. Now, this is what I was talking about the other day. I was trying to describe this. Stand on the side of the pool. By the way, every nine year old boy has done this. Stand by the side of the pool, dive in, and you either your head breaks the top of the water or you're underwater for a minute, whichever happens. First, they measure how far you've traveled. So you dive in, you get one sweep with your arms, and then you have to be motionless for a minute or until your head breaks the surface of the water, and they measure that for distance. That's plunge for distance.
Speaker 2: That's what they do. That's what they had.
Speaker 4: Underwater swimming was part of it. They've had a whole bunch of different shooting teams. They did at one time a team race, which was everybody on your team, like a four person relay for example, you're all running a race, you do it at the same time, and then you get a combined score based on how everybody in your team finishes.
Speaker 2: You get points.
Speaker 4: Basically basque polota, baseball, croquet, field, handball. They used to do figure skating in the Summer Olympics. Golf, of course, has come back, karate, lacrosse. I'm kind of surprised that lacrosse and cricket aren't involved in current modern summer elne.
Speaker 2: And ask polota? Is that just handball?
Speaker 4: I don't know exactly, known as the fastest sport in the world. Only two teams compete. Only one match was played on that in that Olympics back at nineteen hundred. I think it's like handball against a wall kind of handball, isn't that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like as.
Speaker 4: Opposed to Olympic handball, which is like soccer, but you're using your hands the whole time. What happened?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's too many variations of ballgames.
Speaker 4: And then motor boating was in nineteen oh eight. Technically it was called powerboating. Not as much fun as I was saying motor boating. What do you think would happen? Never mind, I'm not gonna answer whatever was about to come out of your mouth. Trending stories, a check in on World War III, A check in on Jason Nathanson had a big pickleball tournament over the weekend.
Speaker 2: Did he really?
Speaker 4: Oh he didn't, but there was one on TV and then a quick mixtape Monday before we round off the show.
Speaker 2: My God, it's noon.
Speaker 4: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio AP