Speaker 1: Okay, So I'm very intrigued by this because obviously we know we saw Kansas beat North Carolina State. It was a while ago. We're gonna talk about it. It was interesting enough, and it was uninteresting enough whatever. Lots of carnage and college basketball. We'll talk about that, and we'll talk about the Titanic clash that's taking place at Allen Field House between Kansas and the Brown Bears, which is a uh yeah, get get get the get get your your DVR set for that one to rewatch it.
Speaker 2: We're uh, we're gonna get the answer. Do bears poop in the woods? Because if they don't, it's gonna be a Allen Field House.
Speaker 1: I saw that whenever I saw their name was the Bears, and I thought, oh, that's about Cam's fact of the day. So Cam, what I think you should do if you ever run out of facts of the day, I think you should just look at who they play next. Oh okay, all right, all right, Well in that case, I want you to open with one. I want you to let it rip now because I don't have anything funny or humorous or there are no sad landings in the notes today because they won last week.
Speaker 2: They did win last week, kind of like robots. Speaking of robots, here's your crazy factor of the day. Back in twenty eighteen, they sent a robot down the rabbit holes of Reddit, and they gave it the task of learning from the darkest corners of Reddit, and it went about as poorly as you guys can imagine. The robot became psychopathic and came out with a very dark sided and twisted view of society and wanted to eliminate humans, eradicate them, and basically came out saying there's no hope.
Speaker 1: Oh well that and.
Speaker 3: We now from how I feel when I go on Reddit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we now turn it.
Speaker 1: Over to Chief Correspondent Land and Fields, whose favorite thing in life is Ai Land in your thoughts.
Speaker 3: Yes, robot overlords, listening to this in the year twenty thirty nine, I do not rescind my statement that you should be thrown in a lock box to the bottom of the Marianna's trench. Officially. Oh take yikes.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, I gotta plug in the speaker so the soundboard work, so you guys talk among yourselves. This is the Inside the Paint podcast on Rock Chuck Blog. I'm Ryan Landrath.
Speaker 3: I'm landing fields currently being hunted by AI in the year twenty thirty nine.
Speaker 2: And I'm every farmer from Kansas State area that's been ripped off by their NIL collective because they blow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how's that working out? Okay State, they saw Drake at home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and one of my best friends actually he went to Drake. So he and I allegedly put some money on Drake yesterday. Good thanks to Drake, but they were they He went on the Kansas State you know, the message boards afterwards, and the Kansas State fans were like, it's unacceptable to lose to Drake. Drake is so bad. And then I went on Twitter and I said counterpoint, Kansas State is really bad, and then one of the Kansas State fans is like, yeah, we are. So I was on the internet today.
Speaker 1: Well and so Kansas State. So I don't know if you guys saw after the game, everyone was talking about what Jerome Tang and Coleman Hawkins said in the postgame pressure and I'm like, oh boy, this was me scrambling to those after after seeing the scene that that was what was being talked about, scrambling to the postgame show audio and Colemen. Hawkins started talking about how people are telling him on Twitter that he should break his legs and people are telling it people are basically bullying athletes online, and Jerome Tang was like, that is so not cool. First of all, agreed, agree with that message. I don't don't tweet mean things at athletes that are just playing sports for your entertainment. Second off, if you're talking about that in the early part of a season that's already not going well, usually teams don't springboard to amazing success if that's what they're talking about this early. That was my thoughts, Right, it seems right, Yeah, sound effect for the Mario jump. They're that one. Like, Normally teams don't into the next level of success if they're spending early December talking about how mean people are tweeting things.
Speaker 3: In them, because there's a reason why they're tweeting the memes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, back to the Yeah they suck. Back to the mean tweeting thing. Just so I can cite this source, nicknamed Norman after Anthony Perkins's character in Alfred Hitchcock's nineteen sixty film Psycho, The artificial intelligence was fed only a continuous stream of violent images from various perniculous subreddits before being tested with ink blot tests. The imagery detected by Norman produced spooky interpretations of electrocutions and speeding card deaths, where a standard AI would only see umbrellas and wedding cakes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's terrifying. That seems like a really really good thing that we're investing feature into it. I would rather invest two million dollars than that.
Speaker 2: You're gonna get the same return, which is nothing in sadness.
Speaker 1: Well, on that note, let's talk about Kansas and how they are North Carolina State champions. Okay, so the score was number ten Kansas seventy five, North Carolina State sixty. Kudos to the AP voters for voting them ten, because all I had to do was out of zero onto where I normally put the score in these notes, because they fell nine spots. The Jayhawks ended their losing skid yay golf clap by jumping to a fifteen to nothing lead on North Carolina State in front of Landen Fields and fourteenth fifteen thousand, two hundred and ninety one others. Right, they lost a thousand something like that. They never whatever it is, Yeah, they never looked back After that, the three point shooting was good, Hunter Dickinson was dominant, en Zeke Mayo played his best game since the first week of the season. Overall, it wasn't perfect because you saw Kansas continue to struggle with drawing contact. They couldn't get to the free throw line. That's priority one for them and they didn't do a good job of that in this game. But overall, it was a quality win. They covered the spread. This squad went to the Final four last year, albeit they are far from that squad, but a good win against the Power five team that gets them back on track. That is eight wins in the first ten contests of the season. Four Kansas, So we're good, right, christ a subverted train right back on the tracks. Final four here they come.
Speaker 3: Uh sure if you want to Yeah, yeah sure, Ryan, Yes, you.
Speaker 1: Guys sound so confident and North Carolina right back on to the negative express.
Speaker 3: Ryan, your your lovely grandma and I went to the KU basketball game. Very She's a lovely lady. She's fun to take.
Speaker 1: She's an awesome company to take one of those games. She's not afraid to tell you the refs suck either. She'll boo those refs.
Speaker 3: She wasn't a fan. She wasn't as pissed off at the refs as the rest of Allenfield House was. Because they were feisty. But n C State, a team I watched with my own eyeballs, is bad. They're not good. I don't think I would love to be wrong about that and love for NC State to go back to back final fours. I don't think NC State's very good. Kansas did play well. Hunter was fantastic, Zeke was fantastic. But I don't think any Power five win you'll take it. But NC State, I don't think it's exactly going to be a Titan of the sport this year.
Speaker 1: Cam is that pretty much the right sentiment. North Carolina State is very unimpressive, so therefore anything less than a fifteen point win for Kansas would have been just blath.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it was a good game for Kansas to get win. I think NC State's probably going to be like a fringe tournament team. Part of it too, you had to think Kansas would come out kind of with their hair on fire, and they did, getting off to a hot start. But yeah, I mean it's it's what should happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was really good to see after the Creighton and Missouri games opened so poorly for Kansas, where they fell behind by double digits within the first six minutes of each of those contests, to see them come out and bury North Carolina State early and then Seth took Hunter out. Hunter was plus like thirty in this game or something like that. Whenever he was out, North Carolina State kind of crept back into it. And then he put him back out there and things were fine, and then the refs were mad and Jimmy Dikes. Oh my gosh, Landon, you heard mad, Allen Fieldhouse, but you did not hear Jimmy Dikes with a red palm in one hand and a white palm in the other just openly campaign for Hunter Dickinson to be ejected and for North Carolina State to climb their way back into that game. Cam your thoughts on the announcers, Holy goodness. I don't I don't love to complain about a fit about announcers not named fran Friscilla because I don't normally notice it. But wow, they were bad.
Speaker 2: Nah, they were pretty bad. I mean, I only I caught most ives. I had to work unfortunately for the first half of the game, but during the second half I caud a little bit of it and yeah, I mean, look, this is we're gonna put this out here right now. This is a pro Hunter Dickinson podcast, just putting it out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but two million times.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, but no they suck. And quite honestly, it still blows my mind that there are people that say Hunter Dickinson is a problem for this team. I saw some of the replies to some of the rock Jock blog tweets after that game, and he had what wasn't it's eighteen eight and I don't know, I can't remember his stat line. I mean, it's just ridiculous. Twenty one, fourteen and eight. Yeah, he's not a problem, He's incredible.
Speaker 1: That is correct, And I guess we can begin with Hunter Dickinson, who I am now tweeting out pro Hunter tweets more than I otherwise would, because I love seeing the responses of people arguing that Kansas would be better if he didn't exist. People say, and I'm excited for him to leave. And then Landon and I were talking about this before Cam you got on the phone. What's gonna happen is Kansas is going to lose to Duke and next year's Champions Classic, and they're gonna get out rebounded by like six and people are gonna say, well, why can't we have this guy that gets eighteen and ten every night? And everyone's gonna be like, uh, well, they had one and you didn't think he was good, So yeah, yeah, people will will figure out exactly how good Hunter is when he's no longer here, and we can start with him if we want. I'd figure we'd start with Zekemeo, but let's go ahead and start with Hunter, who was dominant. Twenty one fourteen and eight was his final line. That is the first ever twenty one fourteen to eight and zero turnover game in the history of the Big twelve plus two steals for good measure in twenty eight minutes, he was nine for thirteen from the floor and insane plus twenty eight in his twenty eight minutes. For those of you not super familiar with the plus minus stat what that means as Kansas was really really good with him on the floor and they were thirteen points worse than North Carolina State in the minutes he didn't play. Ken Palm has him as a top five contender right now in their National Player of the Year race. The Rock Chalk Blog mentions on Twitter, we're much quieter following a twenty one fifty or twenty one fourteen and eight performance Land and go figure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean he was. He was brilliant. He was the key that made Kansas go. It was noticeable when he came off the floor that Kansas, like was not as good and and n C State knew what to do a lot more when when he was off the floor than when he was out there. It was it was quite obvious that they had really no answer for Hunter. Hunter unlocked the entire offense for Kansas. It was a brilliant performance. He was spectacular. He knew exactly what he wanted to do and he did it. And the eight assists is also just a testament to his passing ability. Also, Kansas shot the ball really well in this game, so that helps too. But uh, yeah, he was, he was brilliant. Kind of a no notes performance.
Speaker 1: I'm trying, Cam, I'm trying to find a side. I'm trying to find a sound effect that would would would line up well with what you're saying.
Speaker 2: How about Yeah? Can I can I just add with we're still going with Hunter Dickinson. I blanked out for one set? Correct? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, where we are still going with Hunter Dickinson.
Speaker 2: Go okay, So the the winner of the Bob Huggins Drive of the game was Hunter Dickinson flagrantly filed NC State into oblivion. Fellas your thoughts on the flagrant?
Speaker 1: It was absolutely bull It was terrible. Spot Twitter was kind of hit or miss landing. What was your thoughts being at the game. I'm sure they bowed, but did you think he was a flagrant?
Speaker 3: They booed ferociously. I did think it was a flagrant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I see I kind of did. Like by rule, it's a flagrant whenever you put your put two hands on a guy's shoulders and you both follow the floor. That's gonna get called most of the time. But I'm not quite sure what Hunter was supposed to do. He went for the shot fake missed and he was it was. It seemed like his options were either grab on to Jacobsen and fall to the floor or middle Brooks been middle Brooks. They had a lot of a white guy names. Either fall down with middle Brooks and break your fall or like hit your head on the floor. I don't really know what his other option was. If he doesn't grab the guy at all, how is he landing without smashing his head.
Speaker 2: On the exactly?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I I think it's a reputation base call. He's clearly getting them.
Speaker 3: Yeah he is. Replay again. I didn't. I didn't see the replay since the game, so i'd have I'd have to go back and watch it and see exactly how he was falling. It definitely would have been a pretty hard fall. He also did clearly grab him again, would have to see it again. I did think. I did think it was excessive.
Speaker 1: Cam.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I I mean, I think a lot of its reputation base and that kind of sucks because I don't think he's inherently a dirty player. But yeah, I don't know if it was worthy of a flagrant. There's gonna be some uh some debate on that, but no, I mean, it's kind of it's Hunter Dickinson. It's what we've come to expect from the refs. So landed.
Speaker 1: Jimmy Dikes said that Kansas quote got off lucky that he wasn't ejected from this game. A couple of times, he said that he said that North Carolina States coach should be really irritated that he wasn't tossed. Uh and at this point, like, you know, if that's if that's Zach clements as Jimmy Dyke freaking out about it, or is it just because Hunter Dickinson kind of has a little bit of a reputation in the last couple weeks of being a dirty player, which I cam you lived in Michigan, you seem to think that that was kind of a thing that people up there thought. I never thought he was dirty until the Duke play. That was the first time that that kind of came out. But clearly, yeah, you know, whatever you want to call I guess I don't know how he's supposed to land. Okay, So my main takeaway from this game, and we'll talk about Zeke Mayo, who was really good. My main takeaway from this game was that we saw we got a little bit of a taste of what Kansas looks like with four out around Hunter Dickinson and Hunter was the Hills are Alive, spinning around Mary Poppins style with all this space to work with, when you had four guys on the perimeter who actually commanded some defensive attention there, but the lead went from nine to seventeen late in the second half. Whenever you saw the four guard line up around Hunter, kJ went to the bench with four fouls and the offense went to the moon. The defense didn't look great. I would prefer the more exciting brand of basketball to outscore more teams, even though Bill self would and self said that in the end, it wasn't very good because North Carolina State had two big so therefore it was always going to work out better for Kansas to do that. I don't know a lot of stuff to throw at you guys here, but I liked the four out lineup. I think it's pretty obvious to me, And obviously I've been saying this all year, so it's not like I'm just flip flopping or waffling here. I think it's pretty obvious that the key to fixing Kansas's offense lies in one singular lineup change, and I think you could see it in action in this game, anybody.
Speaker 3: I mean, I've always I've definitely been into the four out lineup throughout my entire time on the show. I think it's it's pretty obviously better. kJ was not great in his time in this game. Yeah, I agree. I think I think the four out works really well, and I think it definitely worked well here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think I think it definitely worked well. I it's interesting to hear Bill Sooff say it sucked essentially in the post game processer. I mean, I think he's trying to prove a point, and Bill is turning into an old stubborn man, uh with aj Storer and hopefully I I yeah, right, I would assume, right, guys, at some point he's gotta come around, question Mark, we can drive.
Speaker 1: In some I'm having some AirPod trouble, So I will read Zeke Mayo's stats and then you guys go to.
Speaker 2: Tech a lot of transitions.
Speaker 1: I yeah, that's what we'll do here. Zeke Mayo twenty six points led all scorers, nine for fourteen from the floor. He was five for nine from three and four for five from two and thirty four minutes of work. There's not a whole lot else to say, but he was awesome. That was early season. Zeke Mayo at your service.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he got threes to drop. I think that was the biggest difference. Yeah, also went four for five from two, so he was. He was really good. He was getting to the cup as well. A little bit nice to see Zeke get a few to drop that he had just been cold. I think in the last few games that probably was as big his problem. It wasn't like he wasn't getting open. Uh Cam any any other additional thoughts takeaways from Zeke's performance here? He was great.
Speaker 2: No, it was really good. He's good to see him make some threes. Just see the ball go through the hoop. I think it's a really good signed for the team going forward.
Speaker 3: Ryan, AirPod problems fixed or should we still vamp about Zeke Mayo?
Speaker 1: Hey, look what I look at this. I'm gonna I'm gonna tinker and talker with these air pods while giving some analysis.
Speaker 2: Because that's right, Ryan calling in from nineteen fifty six when women just learned how to vote. That's right, Yeah, I got that's gonna have to be edited out.
Speaker 1: God dag it, I have a I have a phone in my ear, and sir, I have dealt with Daniel Cunningham enough on this podcast history to know that it takes a lot more than that sort of offensive comment to make me edit things out. Nick, on the other hand would be like, darn the Jayhawks loss. Oh Ryan, can you edit? I shouldn't Boss listens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just more earned the right and it wasn't that year. But carry on.
Speaker 1: Hey, that's we know what you meant. We know what you meant that. Don't worry. Something happened in college basketball this week. That what did I write? I wrote something like.
Speaker 2: That, Yeah, tennis or whatever game that was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll talk plenty about that. Okay. Well, we talked about Zeke Mayo, we talked about Hunter Dickinson, we talked about the Bob Huggins drive of the game featuring Hunter Dickinson's flagrant. Let's talk about free throws. Cam, tell me about the free throws and how really that's kind of the only box that we didn't get to see checked.
Speaker 3: In this game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Kansas is currently bottom ten nationally and free throw rate. In this game, they were called for fifteen thousand NC states nine. The free throw margin was eighteen tims vers seven. Guys, what is the problem in your opinion with this team being completely incapable of getting to the free throw line.
Speaker 3: I don't really know what it is, honestly.
Speaker 2: Like eighty one player a question mark.
Speaker 3: I mean Hunter's style I don't think suits him getting Like the way he plays does not suit him getting the line. But that's not fair because he does get a really bad way whistle. He should get to the line more, and I think a lot of that isn't his fault. But otherwise I don't know. Dewan Harris maybe doesn't drive as much as he should, but he does drive a decent amount, Like you think you'd get more. I don't know. I'd like to know what their drive rate is. I mean, anecdotally, I don't think they take it to the cup like an absurd amount, but it's not like they don't, you know.
Speaker 2: No, I think I get right on that. Sorry, right, I think you're right in that if you think about it, Like watching this Kansas team, I fee, I'm sure someone's gonna come parachuting and out of the rafters with a stat sheet. But to me, it seems like this team shoots a lot more mid range jumpers than teams in the past. Plus they'll have Hunter, who tends to maybe go away from contact, plus get a bad whistle, and then you have kJ who's an undersized power forward. I think it's a recipe for not a lot of free throws, and.
Speaker 3: I do think guys like Zeke Mayo and AJ Store have taken a lot more mid range this year.
Speaker 1: That doesn't help. Also, like aj st aj Store got to the free throw line a lot at Wisconsin, and he just hasn't played that style here. Dwan Harris has never been a guy that's been consistently good at getting to the line. But we know we can do it, and it'd be nice to see that be a priority for a guy who's in his fifth year. Hunter Dickinson averaged five free throws a game two years ago at Michigan, and last year it went from four point eight to three point three. This year it's under three free throw attempts per game. So he's getting to he's getting the free throw line half of what he did at the height of his career. In that perspective, I think the first and foremost thing that is causing Kansas to not get to the free throw line is bad luck. I think that you will see not not as much bad luck.
Speaker 3: As has any problem Ryan. Actually, guys, yeah, it's just bad luck.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, let's take back luck and say bade two days. I think by default you will see it swing back, and they will dart. They don't get a lot of They don't seek contact as well as you'd like them too, but they certainly, they certainly don't seek it. Cam could go on forever with my greatest tints. It's true, but I do uh oh, heavan freaking wistle Landon, were you eating diapers when that game happened? That game was stupid.
Speaker 3: I remember being extremely angry at Evans that day.
Speaker 1: Gosh, I believe I looked at back at all one hundred and thirty of him free games, and I don't think he made four threes in any of them.
Speaker 2: But that time, do you guys remember during that game, the Witchita State fans started doing like a rock shock chant at the end of ID It made it triggered me so bad, I.
Speaker 3: Think I like rage quit that game before it was over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was And speaking of uh so, okay, let me finish my free throw take and then then we'll tell Camas story.
Speaker 2: He doesn't know.
Speaker 1: I think that this is a that this collection of ten games, Kansas doesn't get to the free throw line as much as you like, But they are getting to the free throw line even less than their play suggests they should. I think that that will sway back into some positive regression. That doesn't mean they're gonna turn into the Zach Edie Purdue boiler Makers or anything. They've got to go to the cup more. There's a couple of stats going around on Twitter where you don't have to be a great team at getting to the free throw lines to be a great college basketball team, but you have to do one of two things. Well, you have to get to the cup quite a bit, or you have to shoot the three ball. Well. Right now, they're not doing either one of those things, and until they start doing one of those things consistently better, they're going to struggle to reach their ceiling. I expect Hunter who does get a bad whistle, he gets a bad whistle, I'm gonna die on that hill. There are plenty of times throughout the course of a college basketball game that Hunter Dickinson could be called and go to the free throw line twice. But Kansas is not going to raise their free throw rate as a team with Hunter Dickinson. His career high is barely two more attempts per game than he's doing right now, which feels like nothing. Store Mayo and Griffin have to get to the cup. They're all eighty percent free throw shooters for their career. Those are the guys you want to go to the basket. They need to use their athleticism to get behind guys and get fouled. Also, one last thing something that I think this will change quickly. Big twelve refs like to call a lot of fouls when we get into the teeth of Big twelve games. Oh, there's gonna be a lot of fouls, and we all know it. They'll get their free throw numbers. It's just right, we'll be This will not be much of a story in a few weeks.
Speaker 3: I think you're right on about your I think, especially for aj Store, not only should he for the benefit of the team, but for the benefit of himself. I think he should just drive the ball more.
Speaker 1: Griffin and Mayo. Have Griffin and Mayo, you have more confidence. If they don't drive to the basket, they can still hit enough jumpers where theoretically they should be fine. I don't think Stores in that camp up. He has to get to the line for his game.
Speaker 3: I agree to fall. Getting to the line and getting some of those to fall at least that might raise your confidence. You'll see, you know, number go up type stuff like you'll see your points increase. You'll see if you go through the hoop. I think that would be huge for him if you could do it. And I think that's the type of player he is. I thought he's gonna be a driver slasher. He's not really been that. We'll talk about him more.
Speaker 1: AJ Store is playing not nearly as much as he did last year. However, it is only an eight minutes per game decrease from last year, and he is getting to the free throw line four times less than he did last year. Last year at Wisconsin in twenty nine minutes a game, he got to the line four and a half times a game. This year in twenty one minutes, that is eight less. He is barely getting to the line once per game. That is less than twenty five percent of the free throw rate that he had last year. That's your biggest problem. You get Hunter to get back to his career average. There's two more. You get Store to get two or three more times per game. Every player that plays dominant minutes on this team needs to get to the free throw line two more times than they're doing right now. Just one draw one foul, go to the basket, draw a foul. Remember that one time where Dwan Harris went like twelve games in a row without shooting a free throw. Don't think we're gonna have it from him, Mayo, Store, Griffin, Dickinson, Adams, those five, each of them draws one more foul per game. That's ten more free throw attempts, and suddenly those numbers won't stick out like a sore thumb. And considering how much more fouls we see called in your average Big twelve game than your non con game, I don't think that that's a far fetched ask.
Speaker 3: Okaym if you have another point, go for it.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna say me in charge eight eight, Well, no one's in charge of this point. We're all just driving the ship and it's crashing into the iceberg. Aj Storer could parachute from the Allenfield House rafters with the Ark of the Covenant and give it to Bill self and he still would be upset with him for not playing defense in practice. So I don't think any of this conversation matters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's the That's the other thing, was Store Like, you look at Dickinson and you look Adams and you look at Harris and you think, Okay, we know what these guys are. I'd like to see him change this and that, but more or less, we know what they are. Store feels like he My hot take is aj Storre should be this team second best player. If he doesn't become a top five player on this team, then they're they're sunk.
Speaker 2: It's just mind boggling.
Speaker 3: I don't know he should.
Speaker 2: It's we talked about this, yeah, and we talked about it too. It's like Bill, he went into the portal and he gat this guy for a reason, and then he's just teaching him life lessons. Will having him sit on the bench because he didn't guard it even Wilders in practice, Like, what are we doing well?
Speaker 1: And so somebody on the local radio one of the local radio shows was talking about how this is not just a Kansas problem. The high majors transferring into other high majors across college basketball, those results have been kind of disappointing this year. You saw a team like Yukon put a lot of inventory into the transfer portal and they've had a rocky start to their season. You've seen a team like North Carolina they put a lot of eggs in the transfer portal basket. They have five losses and we're not even a Christmas. The teams that are dominating college basketball right now, teams like Tennessee, teams like Alabama. Those teams have proven that they can plug guys into a system, which in Tennessee's case is very slow and clunky, in an Alabama's case, is very fast and high paced, and those guys work. Kansas hasn't been proven that they can do that. And Self took guys like Store and Griffin that those systems were not like Kansas's. Those were not inside out basketball offenses that those guys played at. And I think it might be a little bit of what Landon said. It's kind of like whenever you're putting together a Madden team and you sign a ninety six quarterback and a ninety five running back and a ninety five receiver, You're like, Man, this team's gonna kick ass. In the real NFL, the super teams or NBA or whatever, it doesn't always work that way. I still think it could. The talent's there, the coach is very good, the ceiling are the floors set at a decently high clip when you have a twenty and ten center and a fiftier senior point guard. But will it all come together perfectly? It hasn't yet.
Speaker 3: How common, and that's one nothing right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, every team James Harden has ever been on that they put two other ninety five in NBA two K players next to him. It just doesn't work.
Speaker 2: I like how you alluded to North Carolina putting eggs in the basket, because I think that's really good foreshadow into Hubert Davis's next job, which will be Easter Bunny at the mall come April.
Speaker 1: I bet you were going to make how they can't put the ball in the basket.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's valid, but he sucks.
Speaker 1: Landon, Nick and I were very very much so on that camp from the beginning. That was that was always easy to see coming you guys, Landon, tell me about kJ you alluded to it, and yeah, let's go ahead, and let's go ahead and talk about him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, kJ Adams. He finished with six and six, which actually quite a few rebounds for kJ all things considered.
Speaker 1: Season high ducks.
Speaker 3: He got three for four from the floor.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: The key talking point from this game is a stretch in the second half and he was benched with four fouls, and the four guard offense for Kansas looked great. Hunter Dickinson did a bunch of cool stuff, freed up floor space. I certainly was a fan. I know Ryan was a fan. Cam I assume you were as well. I think you said as much earlier. And then Bill self said he didn't like it very much because Bill self, it's still Bill self.
Speaker 1: Bill sucks. Yeah, Bill, Bill, I don't know if I have that he sucks, he sucks, he sucks drop, but I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't even like that makes me sad.
Speaker 1: He sucks, he sucks, he sucks.
Speaker 2: There that that was Lucas Uh, it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was about Jamari Trailer I think, which they were kind of a player for a while there. But yeah, that that was Bill. But instead of he sucks, it was it sucks. And he was talking about said four guard lineup. They were gonna talk about the four guards that we should probably talk about these two Griffin Ryland Griffin got the start self is just pushing all the button. He's just he's just the the eight year old with the video game controller mashing buttons at this point with that starting spot, because quite Griffin's store, and uh, somebody else and somebody else started if you ever, Yeah, you got.
Speaker 3: A moderately incoherent team. I don't care, like, just see what works until something does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. Griffin got the start, but he didn't do much with it. One for six on the floor, two points and plenty of playing time thirty one minutes. That's not gonna help. That's a lot Ran to give us.
Speaker 3: Been very underwhelming, guys.
Speaker 1: Don't let anyone else know.
Speaker 2: But he's not done much, so you're not wrong.
Speaker 1: It was also quiet one for three, three points in seventeen minutes, virtually no other stats log great.
Speaker 2: I think that the tip top of the Iceberg conspiracy about this team is that they're terrified to mess up under Bill self.
Speaker 1: I think that's true. I think that's very true. I mean store, at least my takeaway in this game, he didn't foul. This is the first time he didn't have or he didn't get into foul trouble. He had had four two, three, two and two fouls and pretty limited minutes in the last handful of games, so only one foul was nice. Yeah, Griffin, So Ryland Griffin gets the start on opening night, and we think, man, this, this is the this is gonna be just the plug and play guy. Here are Ryland Griffin's minutes since Michigan State thirty two, twenty twenty seventeen, sixteen thirteen. That is a straight downward slide graft. If if I showed you a if that stat came with a sound effect, it would be the the shoots and ladder slide down sound effect. And then Bill self, to his credit, says I'm gonna give him thirty one minutes in this game to get going, and he does f all with it and scores two points. Like that's the we can complain about self utilization of a lot of guys, no complaints. He tried Rylan Grippin for thirty one minutes and he did nothing.
Speaker 3: Uh, can I tell a story that's about Star Wars and then is also gonna be about basketball?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, of course to Cam's find.
Speaker 3: About them being afraid to fail made this come to mind. So George Lucas a flawed man and a flawed filmmaker, but he has a great idea for Star Wars, and I like Star Wars makes the first Star Wars. George Lucas has never ever been good in his entire life at writing dialogue, but he tries, bless his heart. In the first Star Wars movie, he writes the movie the dialogue is not very good, but you know, he's not George Lucas, and Star Wars isn't Star Wars yet, and so people like Harrison Ford, who are in that movie, and like Alec Guinness, who's like a great actor of the time, you know, go to George Lucas and they're like, George, this dialogue isn't very good. Can I change or they would improvise a line or something and it would be more fun, ord be more interesting or whatever. It would just work. It would come off the page a lot better, and then you end up getting a really good and really fun movie that is Star Wars, and that would continue for the next couple of movies because those actors worked with George, They built relationships with George. They like grew up together. Sixteen years ago by George Lucas makes the prequels. But now Star Wars is like the biggest thing in the history of the world. It's the biggest film franchise of all time. It's like the most popular thing ever. George Lucas decides to make the prequels, and he does. And George Lucas has not improved as a writer between these these movies. He's still a very bad dialogue writer. But now he's George Lucas, and Star Wars is Star Wars, and he brings in a bunch of very like mostly unknown, largely unknown actors or certainly even though like you know, Iwan McGregor Natalie Portman, you know, Sam Jackson's in those movies a little bit, like you know, some names that you know now, they weren't who they were then. They were much smaller actors, and some people that liked remained unknown even after. And George Lucas gives them the same bad dialogue that he did sixteen years ago. But now these actors are like, this is Star Wars, and I have to give this exactly how George Lucas gave it to me, because who am I to tell George Lucas anything? And you can tell because those movies, boy, they're not as good. Yeah. I like Revenge of the Sith quite a bit, but those movies sound so much worse than The dialogue is so much worse than it was back in the seventies and eighties. I think that is part of the transfer portal problem. Back in the day, Bill Self would recruits teams, they would grow up together, they would develop chemistry together, and there would be real relationships between the players and Bill Self and they would be friends that you see that in the senior like interviews or not interviews, but speeches the Bill they're joking about Bill self, are kind of making fun of him a little bit from time to time. You'd see the chemistry get Bilt over years. Transfer portal it's a lot different. They're coming to Kansas because it's Kansas. They're coming to Bill Self because he's Bill Self. They take a lot longer to develop a relationship. You don't see the melding of the team together. And I think Camp's point of they're afraid to mess up is kind of super valid. I think you can see that because they have Kansas on their chest and Bill Self, Hall of Fame coach is standing on the sideline and they're like, this guy's gonna bench me if I don't play well. And I think you can see that a little bit. I think you can see the lack of cohesion. That's very long winded but that is my point.
Speaker 1: I think it's a good way to sum it up, though, because Bill Self's best teams have come with rosters that you can marinate for a while and let them gel off the top of the dome. The best teams Bill self has had eight filled with juniors and seniors that sat there and watched for a while. Ten and eleven were great teams. They were led by the Morris twins and the cole Aldriches and and the guys who were shut the Sharon collins as who were juniors and seniors, and they were in the program for a while. The sixteen and seventeen teams start four seniors. You throw in a blue chip freshman with four seniors, and look how good they were. And the national title team had Christian Brown, David McCormick, Remy Martin was kind of the ad but o Chaia Baji sior, Christian Brown junior, David McCormick, senior guys that we openly question would they ever wind up being great at Kansas and they came together to win. The whole thing self has not had a lot of success from a team perspective with short term teams. Look at the one and done era Wiggins EMBIID. I know there was some injuries there. Team didn't win in the NCAA Tournament last year and twenty nineteen two teams that relied on transfers and guys to come in here and short term make an impact didn't go very well. Hasn't gone real great so far this year from the early returns CAM. Is it bad luck or is Bill self is I don't want to say, is the game passing him by because he's he's on a national title two years ago, But clearly this is not as as easy. This isn't this This is a transitioning period for Bill's self as it is everybody else with the transfer portal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's definitely different. I actually was thinking about this earlier. His best teams obviously came with seniors and players that developed in his system, and he's not had much success with one and done players. These aren't always one and done players from the transfer portal, obviously, But I do think that it's a different time for college athletics, especially basketball. And I mean he's as good as anyone from an X and O standpoint, I don't know if his system works well for guys coming in right away from different schools. We'll see so.
Speaker 1: Everybody else here in these notes, just to kind of throw everybody else on the table. Dwan Harris had one of the quietest fifteen and six games you'll ever see. He was six for eleven and thirty six minutes. He's a very good basketball player. He's fun to watch. Florid, but Doongat held four times in eight minutes in an ode to aj Store in a first half that had Allen field House up in arms about the refs. Instead of playing Zach at or, instead of playing kJ Adams at the five, Bill self kept swapping Flori and Zach Clemens in there because Hunter had two fouls and therefore could not step foot on the floor until after halftime. That didn't work. Really took me.
Speaker 3: Back to him just throwing Mitch lightfoot out on the floor endlessly in Mitch's life sophomore year. It was like, Bill, what do you think is gonna happen? Buddy? Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And the and Hunter Dickinson averages one foul every fourteen minutes in his time at Kansas. He's okay to play with two, Actually, he's okay to play with three. In the first half if you wanted him to. Flori didn't have any points. Neither did Clemens. Hit All zat Clemens did in the static card is his foul rookie's Passmore did not play David Koit made a three and nine minutes and shack Moore, who is I guess still gonna go through this. I guess they're not gonna red shirt him, played two minutes at the very end, and it was.
Speaker 3: In the middle of Shackmore played the first half.
Speaker 1: Oh okay. That goes to show how well I was paying attention. I was working in the first half, and I heard Brian Haney say when Ryle Griffin loft at a three, oh Ryland wants to get in on the three point party. And then it missed. And the reason it missed is because Brian Haney said that blasphemously idiotic, stupid ass thing right as he shot the ball. If he didn't say that, if he just like a normal announcer, said, oh Ryland Griffin is gonna take a three, it would have splashed through the net. It's your fault, Brian Haney. You should leave go, leave lee it to Siberia and never come back.
Speaker 2: Would you rather have Brian Haney commentate every moment of your life. The second year.
Speaker 1: Second, the second thing can be diabetes and syphilis and chlamydia all at once. And I'm taking that over Brian Haney getting near me.
Speaker 2: No, it's just asking if he if you wanted to read your eulogy at your funeral, you went way too dark man.
Speaker 1: Oh one more time. Never go when i CP goes darker than funerals. I don't want Brian Haney to get anywhere near me. As nice as that man is. He was on Hawk Talk to night because oh my gosh, I've told the story of how I'm tired of working Wednesday nights out on as a delivery driver because that's Hawk Talk Night, and I have to listen to Brian Haney, and he was with He was with Jeremy Case tonight because Bill self pulled one of Landon's load management. I'm just gonna take Tonight off sticks. Uh So, Jeremy Case and Brian Haney are talking about how awesome Zach Clemens has been in limited minutes this year, and I about swerved off the road. Gave me, as Landon said Mitch Lightfoot Live when he would go score three points and already be like, wow, we would be eft without Mitch Lightfoot, and then o Chaya Baji would miss two threes and otherwise score twenty three and we'd be like, man, he almost lost the game for him. There can't do it. I don't get it. Somebody make it make sense. God, it's not gonna be Brian Hamy. He's just gonna read stats like the price is right host that he would never got to be.
Speaker 3: I'm gonnaective with one hundred percent less poetry.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's freaking unbelievable. I didn't even find the final stat lines here. Here they are Kansas overall, these numbers are all good. Fifty seven percent from the floor, forty two percent from three to seventy one percent of the line. They did turn it over thirteen times, but they were playing faster than they typically did. They're also plus ten on the glass against a very good rebounding team. Overall, I think they get a B plus for this game. Few more free throws would have pushed it into the a's. They played fine, their best players played like their best players, and if they get Elite Knights out of Hunter, Dickinson and Zeke Mayo. They're gonna beat whoever's in front of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's coragree. Brian Haney is like if Robert Frost developed a severe drinking problem and ended up as a college basketball commentator.
Speaker 1: Big Twelve Games, as I believe, this is the penultimate episode before Big twelve Games is a thing. When this year we'll have what how many damn games a week? There's sixteen teams in this league, so that means we have eight games landon. You remember the good old days where we just had four other Big twelve games to recap. Now we'll have seven forgettable, awful basketball games.
Speaker 3: I do it was a simpler time.
Speaker 1: Hey, And like this show is gonna get real bleak when the four and three Jayhawks we've just recapped another loss, trying to tell everyone it'll be okay, and then we have to talk about Arizona State sixty one, Utah fifty eight, trying to find a stat for this game. Nothing interesting happened. At least Doug Gottlie doesn't coach either of those teams. We'll talk all about him and the Big Twelve. Despite trailing for most of the night, a late rally carry Number three Iowa State passed in state rival Iowa on the road eighty nine to eighty. Is fran McCaffrey still to coach there? I was thinking about that. He's been there for about one hundred years, I think, so they didn't give up on that one yet. All right, Well, good for them, they're getting what they what they could have expected. Joshua Jefferson, ancient relative of our our nation's third president, had nineteen and ten. Curtis Jones came off the bench and scored twenty three points. Fun fact, the last time the Jayhawks had a guy come off the bench and scored twenty three points came when Harry S. Truman was the president. I'm pretty sure College Basketball Reference it wasn't loading properly, but that sounds about right, so we'll roll with it.
Speaker 2: Is i also was a freshman?
Speaker 1: There you go, it was probably Parry ELS's. That's the joke. I should have darn it, Cam, I should have said that was when Frank Harry Els was a sophomore at Kansas.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Is Iowa State the best team in the Big twelve.
Speaker 3: Right now?
Speaker 2: For sure? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Ain't close. That seems good. And also we talk about a team we just talked about how a lot of coaches are struggling to get transfers to come into their program and play their brand of basketball at a high levels seamlessly. That is what tj Olzolberger has done. It does not matter who they plug into that system. Every Iowa State team is made up the same way. They are scrappy, they defend, they don't turn the ball over, but they'll force a hell of a lot of turnovers. They'll burn you in transition, and they'll be damn near unstoppable at home. That's every Iowa.
Speaker 3: State, Iowa State tradition. Transfer you yeah.
Speaker 1: Hey, we'll talk about we'll talk about nobody you here in a little bit, but for now, Land and tell me about overtang being no more.
Speaker 3: True Tang you uh, the unthinkable that's becoming consistently more thinkable as the season goes on. Happened Jerome Tang has lost a game in overtime. Case State lost their fourth game of the year already KSE State was twenty in the first half to Drake When to come back, they forced overtime just to lose seventy three to seventy on a last second three by white Guy of the game Bennett Steer, It's that's a great name. Earlier in the week, Tang described his relationship with point guard Doug McDaniel as just okay. I think he even said, like, I wouldn't say it's great, it's just okay. Yeah, ringing endorsement. The Wildcats are six and four and their best win is probably former President George Washington, who they defeated because he's been dead for two hundred years. So that's sound a great look for the Cats.
Speaker 1: I'll give you a rational Case State take, and then Cam you can teeoff laughing at their patheticness. Kansas State needed this game badly. They had struck out on their only top one hundred Ken Palm opponents. They had lost the Liberty, they lost to LSU. These were teams, okay, you look at the schedule. They really needed to get this one done. Drake is nine to oh they're one of four undefeated teams in the country and they were a one point favorite. Case State was you gotta win this. You had to win this one and then Wichita State so at the end of the year you can have your mediocre Big twelve record and still show the committee, hey we went five hundred and in our toughest non con games, and then we won enough quality games in the Big Twelve we should be in now. I don't know what they're supposed to do. They probably got to win like eleven Big Twelve games to get in the tournament now, and I don't know how you're betting on that. Jerome Tang called Taman Lipsey the biggest flopper in the Big Twelve last year, and that team has torpedoed since. I think he's already burned a lot of that good grace that he was on cloud nine after that first year, and now Bruce Webber's best player was Marquise Noel. That's the reason that team went as deep as they did. He cannot do anything right. Darome Tang, Kansas State. It's bad, okay, Cam, I know you're dying to laugh at them. Go for it.
Speaker 2: H Yeah, No, they suck. Colevin Hawkins two million dollar men should be flipping murders. Jerome Tang not sure what he's doing. Doug McDaniel, it's a shame he can't read the tweets on Twitter because they probably aren't very nice to him. And then also I don't think they're gonna Will they make the NCAA Tournament, No, I won't. I don't think they will.
Speaker 1: Close.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah they can't, they would. You're probably right. They need to win probably maybe even twelve Big twelve games. Yeah, yeah, they and they're at home.
Speaker 1: They'll they'll get some teams at home. They'll probably beat Kansas in overtime. But like they're they're man, they're gonna have a run in Big twelve plays where then we're talking about like, hey, they're kind of back in the conversation if they just win three of their next four and they won't. Uh, and yeah, there's a lot of money and a lot of names on that roster to be this bad Tang cannot draw.
Speaker 2: The fans have turned yes, yeah, the fans have turned Old Tang big time. Well, he's crazy.
Speaker 1: He kind of just breeds loser energy.
Speaker 2: I don't know, he's just like he's a weird dude.
Speaker 1: He's a very weird dude. And like he takes off his shoes and sticks him up on the feet of air on airplanes. And that's not even one of the five weirdest things I've seen him do. Like yuck, not great, Okay. Cam recapped the rest of the Big twelve ths. Not everybody is lucky enough to have Jerome Tang as their coach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, most Big twelve teams played cupcakes this cupcakes this week, just like Brett Belima from Illinois who eats cupcakes cupcakes every week. But three teams took losses all the quality teams. Oklahoma State wasn't competitive against number thirteen Oklahoma and a fifteen point neutral site loss. The Sooners are ten and zer. Arizona State wasn't competitive in a seventeen point loss in number nine Florida. By the way, Florida is very good. And then there's Arizona, who built, who built a thirteen point lead halfway through the second half against the UCLA team that struggles to score just to blow into facto home game by failing to make a basket in the final nine minutes of the game. I did like Arizona there. Yeah, they scored five points in the final eleven minutes. They're four and five and they have zero quality wins.
Speaker 1: Landon. I don't know about you, but I am baffled that a team that puts Caleb Love as the primary alpha and their offense isn't very good at getting clutch shots down the stretch.
Speaker 2: Up games.
Speaker 3: I've actually never seen him not be clutch at the end of game. Oh wait, no, forget that's every game he's played.
Speaker 1: That's what except for against Coach K. He put the ice pick in Coach K's head twice at the end of his career. That's what Arizona.
Speaker 3: Got him a lot of nil money.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh yes, exactly two baskets. He also took the game winning or the game tying three attempt against Kansas in the tournament, and it missed everything.
Speaker 2: It hit some.
Speaker 1: It was kind of Jason Bean against Arkansas for the two point play vibes because it wasn't even Yes, that's Lee Harvest down.
Speaker 3: Two more monetarily valuable shots in the history of college basketball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean seriously, that that shot is what made him. I mean, he was a first team All American this year in the preseason, and that's just I don't get it. He's two thirteen, three for thirteen, and three for ten now in the last three losses for Arizona. Not your your senior, fifth year senior guy. He should be a guy you can go expect to get you a bucket when things are tough and not only can he not do that, sometimes he doesn't do that ever other games, newly minted number one Tennessee passed its first test as the top ranked team in the country. They got a buzzer beating layoup by Jordan Gainey to break a tie and pull off a sixty six to sixty four at Illinois in an environment that was both very loud and very orange. It is the Vall's best start since nineteen ninety nine, which was four years before the last time Rick Barnes made a Final Four. He hasn't made one in twenty one years. Maybe this is the time, Lucy will let you kick that football, Charlie, Rick Barrown Barnes. Just go ahead and pencil Tennessee in the Final four this year. I promise it will go fine.
Speaker 2: Don't have.
Speaker 3: Number five. Kentucky hung ninety three on Lousville and beat them by eight points, getting thirty three from the Mott Butler who didn't even play in the road wind Overgonzaga last week. I think he has played this season like a decent amount, but that is a heck of a comeback either way. The Wildcats, I think they're pretty good. I really get it quite good.
Speaker 1: Amazing what happens when you get a good coach down there? Yeah, that's that seems to be the difference.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The highest ranked team to lose was number six Marquette, who lost at Dayton and game that reminded all of us that Shaka Smart is still their coach. There were lots of tough matchups. Most of the ring teams pass their tests, with number sixteen Clemson losing to Memphis in overtime at home being one of the rare instances of the favorite losing.
Speaker 1: The holiday hoops giving event in Atlanta featured two blowouts. It was boring Number nine Florida, who is one of four undefeated teams. As Cam alluded to, they're very good. They blew out Big twelve team Arizona State, and in an early contender for worst pick them call of the Year, Ryan, that's me, Hello, myself picked Ohio State to upset number two Auburn, only to see hold on here, let me let me just put it into the calculator and see all. I was only wrong by thirty eight points. The final score was ninety one to fifty three, and no, it wasn't that close. It took some garbage time getting it there. I'm just happy that my coach has never gotten blown out by Auburn on a neutral flooring to Florida.
Speaker 3: They beat North Carolina this week. Ninety eighty four who has dropped the tar Heels to six and five twenty nine from r J statsis who continues to be very good. You and C to their credit, has played Kansas, Auburn, Michigan State, Alabama, and Florida this year. Not an easy schedule, but also not great to go oh and five in your games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's amazing that against uh? I mean, who are the coaches there? I mean, you got Kansas, they got a good coach, Auburn's got a good coach, Michigan State's got a good coach, Alabama's got a good coach, and Florida's undefeated, pretty well coached teams. How that truly shot coachas can Oh it's the guy who is it?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Boy?
Speaker 1: I don't even know the answer.
Speaker 2: I don't even know.
Speaker 1: Todd Golden. Oh is the Arizona State guy, right?
Speaker 2: Is he?
Speaker 4: He?
Speaker 2: I don't know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Todd Golden coach that they played? Who the hell did he coach before? This did he? Oh he was San Francisco. Remember San Francisco and Murray State played a really interesting uh yes, in state tournament game and that's what got them to hire Yeah, so five well coach teams and Hubert Davis is OZ four. That's because he's bad. He's awful at this, yes, but he's really good at stiff.
Speaker 3: You have a guy like RJ. Davis, though, who theoretically would be like first team All America level good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's hard to do, no, he is. Yeah, Yeah, Number eighteen Yukon might be fixed, as they all played number eight Gonzaga down the stretch and beat the Bulldogs seventy seven to seventy one in Madison Square Garden. Leam McNeely scored twenty six points, and Dan Hurley said that he himself is very good for college sports.
Speaker 1: That's just a totally normous thing to say that. Yeah, it's a totally normal thing for a totally normal guy to think. And I really would I would love to piss on Gonzaga's grave because nobody deserves it more than them. But I really can't even do that because every time my team plays them, they get absolutely boat raced in a big setting like I want. I don't even get enjoyment at I'm pointing out how this lousy Gonzaga team is gonna go seventeen for their next eighteen and get a seed that's way higher than they should because if they play Kansas, I know how that's gonna go. And I picked them to win the game last year. As Cam nicely pointed out earlier, it's awful Landa. Do you like Dan Hurley?
Speaker 3: No, I do not like Dan Hurley.
Speaker 1: I don't think you're alone in that one. Cam loves Dan Hurley, though he said that he hopes that he coaches Kansas.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dan Hurley is the Angel Reese of college basketball coaches.
Speaker 3: So some other new Tony Bennett that if he ever coached Kansas, we would root for a different team.
Speaker 1: No, because Dan Hurley, we would like him if he if he coached Kansas, he'd be like Hunter Dickens. Yeah, you'd like him if he was on your team. Well, Landon might not. Landon's too nice sell out. If they won enough games, I'd sign up for all the crap they're selling for sure. So this is kind of difficult because we're talking about last week's results and some of this week's results. So number seven Alabama took down a game but shorthanded Creighton squad by eight, and then they just freaking barely as a twenty five point favorite. Tonight won a road game at North Dakota, who is four and nine because North Carol Or did I say North Carolina or North Dakota? What did I say North Dakota? Okay, so I was correct. Yes, North Dakota made seventeen damn threes on Alabama to night and it wasn't enough to win. Ninety seven to ninety was the final score. Oh Nate Oates, take my heart and do what you will with it. Number eleven Perdue lost the number seventeen texts A and M because they thought it was an NCAA game and they thought they were supposed to lose. Chris Beard's old Miss was the Chris Beard and Southern Mississippi played the role of Chris Beard's wife in a thirty one point and none of these games will be remembered one day when you face your inevitable and potentially painful death.
Speaker 2: Welcome inside the politics and death all at once.
Speaker 3: You get it all weirder paragraphs that I think we've ever had on the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was in I don't know if I was in a really good or not very good state of mind when I wrote that. Also didn't really I realized halfway through that sentence, I really didn't care about any of these results.
Speaker 2: Oh man, Which do State lost to UMKC?
Speaker 3: Which I will consider my read so that Cam can read the next part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was funny, by the way. So UMKC, by the way, was picked to win the summ at least, it feels like they have not ever been decent in my lifetime. And there's I mean, the Kansas City is a decent enough recruiting area, Like it feels like they should be okay more often than they're not. Big one for them, they were a ten point dogs.
Speaker 3: I think they're injured.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Which do State's pretty beat up? And which State also plays?
Speaker 3: I mean UMKC. I think UMKC is injured, but like they like seven and seven, but they got the win. They got the win.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Which to State plays k State next week in a stuper Bowl or a toilet bowl, whatever you want to call it. It's gonna be a horrendous basketball game, hopefully. Jerome Tang doesn't take his shoes off.
Speaker 2: Gross.
Speaker 1: Okay, Cam, you have Gross wanted to tell me about Jerome Tang is not the worst coach we're gonna talk about on the show.
Speaker 2: Nope, Nope, speaking of Gross. Doug Gottlieb, who eats kal manure for fun and calls it fudge. His team lost to Michigan Tech, who competes in the Gliac Conference, which is a conference that I played college golf in, which tells you a lot.
Speaker 3: After calling the University of my dad worked.
Speaker 2: For, yeah, yeah, yeah, and uh, he called them nobody you and complained about scheduling them and then went on to lose. You should have stuck to radio, Doug.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Doug Gottlieb, Man, I think that the analogy Doug Gottlieb is what people thought coach Prime would be at Colorado.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Doug Gottlieb insists on doing this stupid radio show while being a coach. Green Bay is three and eight, they've lost six in a row, and he gets up there in front of the report and say, look, I'm not happy we're playing nobody you this week and nobody you, referring to that D two school in Michigan Tech, who then beat them on their own floor. And then after the game, Doug Gottlieb does what every sane coach does. He gets on Twitter and says, we've been scheduling up all year and Michigan Tech was a really tough team to schedule. Boy, they were a D two team and you called them nobody? You yourself, what are we doing why green Bay? Like green Bay's hire of that was just to sell some tickets. And I can't imagine It's like I would fire him midseason. This is an absolute joke, Like what a clown?
Speaker 2: He sucks pretty not good, real bad.
Speaker 1: How about this game though, the Tennessee women not the one coach by Rick Barnes. The women's team played North Carolina Central and won in a close one one hundred and thirty nine to fifty nine. They made forty count the thirty threes, thirty of sixty three. It's the most any college basketball team ever has made in a D one game. North Carolina Central, by the way, is oh to twelve. Speaking of nobody, U, I think that's who we should call them. You could call them nobody. You could just abbreviate them as N and then two little c's with the U on the end of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they suck. Do you guys know what their mascot is?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: They played They played Kansas in the NCAA tournament. Right then, that seems like a team that Kansas has played, I.
Speaker 3: Think the Eagles or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Eagles. I was gonna say the DraftKings logo because their value money line pick.
Speaker 1: But so that was Kansas's season opener last year at Allen Fieldhouse. Kansas beat them ninety nine to fifty six, and a game that Sansus' fifth final four of the Bill Self era, right right, let me just look up Wikipedia. Actually, oh, I'm now finding out that.
Speaker 2: That huge in the middle of that one too as.
Speaker 1: Well as we thought so, and that was pretty much everything else. Michigan and Oklahoma are playing on a game that's going down to the wire that I believe Cam bet a few bucks on. Oklahoma is currently down with ten seconds left, and I have all theas in the world that Poeter Emoser will not blow this, and I think that they just made a big shot. So we'll see what happens there. Other than that, right, teams to lose. Since the last time we did a podcast, number six Marquette lost to Dayton.
Speaker 3: Number eight Gonzaga to Yukon.
Speaker 2: Number eleven Purdue to Johnny Manziel in Texas, A and M.
Speaker 1: Johnny Manziel was so fun to watch. Man seriously still my favorite college football player to watch of all time. I was convinced that he, you know, he so Cleveland traded up right in front of the at the time needed in a quarterback, Kansas City Chiefs, and I was so upset because I wanted Johnny Manziel to land in Kansas City so bad and it didn't. It wouldn't have worked. I don't think land and I don't know how you feel about that one.
Speaker 3: I think it would have went.
Speaker 1: Very poorly, but it would have been cool and I would have gone out and bought a jersey right away. Glad that I didn't do that. Number sixteen Clemson lost to Memphis in overtime.
Speaker 3: And then number twenty five Clemson the next week lost to South Carolina.
Speaker 1: Also in overtime. They are like the opposite of Jerome Tang and Oklahoma maybe on this list in ten seconds, I don't know. I just see a lot of yelling last weekend pick them. We all did pretty poorly cam He went six and four and that was enough for a trophy this week. If that goes to show how Sagas was allegedly Michigan for the win up nothing, no, no, no, the game is over. Porter Moser is eleven and oh so add number twenty four. Michigan lost the Porter Moser. That should be an insta three year tournament ban. Undefeated teams in college basketball. There's four of them. There's Tennessee, there's Oklahoma, there's Drake and who's the other one. There's one more Florida. Yeah, Florida. Those are the only fo That's all you got.
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: As they show sad Michigan fans, who I bet they wish that they had Hunter Dickinson back right about now, we do ask RCB, and this is gonna be pretty fun because this might be the last pod we do before Christmas. So of course there's some Christmas themed questions and we begin with two, count them, two questions about Christmas movies from at Ryan Underscore Landreth and at Dick Underscore Taser, proving once and for all that myself and Wane Kerr are soulmates. Ryan Landreth says, what are your thoughts about the indisputable top three of all time Christmas movie that is a Christmas Story.
Speaker 3: Just one of my thoughts on that movie in particular.
Speaker 1: Yes, you were quiet because you were collecting the positive adjectives that you would like to use to describe a Christmas Story, which is an outstanding movie that has us all laughing.
Speaker 2: That's landing.
Speaker 1: Whenever they kid can't put his hands down in the Christmas Story movie.
Speaker 3: I do laugh at that. That is hilarious. There are funny scenes in that fairly annoying movie.
Speaker 2: I think it's good.
Speaker 1: So I grew up on a Christmas Story the twenty four Hours of a Christmas Story marathon. Yeah, okay, so okay, I'm very interested. Then Cam has that movie age like milk to you? Do you think it's bad?
Speaker 2: Now? I don't think it's bad. I just think I've watched it too many times.
Speaker 1: I think if you muted it, I think I could do the narrator's part. I think I've seen that movie so many times. Ryan Landers says, what are your favorite three Christmas movies? But not so fast because Dick underscore Taser says, this is the undisputed list of top three Christmas movies of the last two thousand years. This is interesting. Dick underscore Taser says number three is Harold and Kumar Christmas, Number two is Office Christmas, and number one is The Night Before. Have you seen all of them? And do you dare try to have thrown any of them?
Speaker 3: I've not seen any of those.
Speaker 1: I have not either.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen any of those either. Actually I didn't know what half those were.
Speaker 1: That's unbelievable because I love a good Christmas movie. So, Wayne Kerr, I have some homework to do over these next couple of days. I think because I'm my top three Christmas movie list is probably gonna be a lot more boring. The undisputed best Christmas movie ever, in my opinion, is a Christmas Story. It's one two is elf. Anybody who doesn't have that in the top three you can't be serious. That's a classic in every sense of the word. And number three, I could go a lot of different ways. There's some new Netflix movies that will be on there. I could say Holiday Touchdown at Cheekstram Oh yeah, no, okay, no, I won't go that far. I think if I had to say number three, I would say why him? It came out a couple of years ago. It's a James Franco movie where he's this lunatic and Brian Craniston is excited to meet his daughter's boyfriend just to find out that James Franco is a lunatic. Pretty good, pretty funny Christmas movie. Those are my top three, land and go ahead and get it out of the way, say fifty fourth Street and uh and and and It's a Wonderful Life. A bunch of times.
Speaker 3: It's a wonderful life. It is a really good movie.
Speaker 1: And also it's thirty fourth Christmas movie. It's thirty fourth Street.
Speaker 3: On thirty fourth Street. Yep, that's like an yeah, fifty fourth Street bar and girl, that's an okay one. I honestly don't watch a lot of Christmas movies, to be quite honest, I I don't really Uh, I don't really care about Christmas movies that much. Elf I would say is on there and uh, the the taste or the pick that will have some rage quit this podcast is polar Express.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, no, no, you can't say that.
Speaker 1: I've never come out of my chair like that on this podcast. And almost five hundred shows that movie is so bad landed.
Speaker 2: How do you.
Speaker 1: Watch that and not want to one kill that annoying little twarp in the first half of the movie.
Speaker 3: You want to do that? Oh my god, I want.
Speaker 1: To do And when that golden ticket, that scene that goes on for twenty minutes, when that golden ticket's flying around just the land right back in the train. No, how how woud can you have that in your top three?
Speaker 3: I like it. It looks ghastly, Don't get me wrong, it was crazy, looks very good. I like the story. What can I say? I like the story. I like when you meet Santa Claus.
Speaker 1: That's the that is that's the Doug Gottlieb of Christmas movies.
Speaker 2: Yuck, that's wild. Can say?
Speaker 3: Yeah, watch a lot of Christmas movies.
Speaker 1: I got Home Alone one, Okay, that's solid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Home Alone a Christmas story. And then I'm actually gonna go kind of sideways here. I'm gonna say the original Frosty the snow Man not even good. I'm just gonna go with that.
Speaker 1: That's a good one.
Speaker 3: My real answer is Charlie Brown Christmas.
Speaker 1: That's okay. I was just gonna get off on a Charlie Brown Christmas because I have never met anybody who dislikes that movie besides my wife, who hates that movie. She thinks it's legitimately.
Speaker 2: The world so weird. And I play that.
Speaker 1: Song a lot. Says it gets on her nerves like I've do I loved Alexa to Whenever she tells it to turn on the living room lights, it starts playing that Christmas Time is Here song in Charlie Brown's movie, and so she hates it with a passion. It's just like it's only twenty minute, like that movie is so good with the little tree and and and how they call Charlie Brown really stupid and no one respects him. It's it's hilarious. It's actually low key, pretty savage.
Speaker 2: It is. I'm also I'm a sucker. I love Snoopy in general. I think Snoopy is awesome.
Speaker 1: Wait, what's the best of the Peanuts holiday movies. I think it's the Easter One.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I've seen the Easter One. Yeah, maybe escape me.
Speaker 1: The Easter One is similar a little bit to the Great Pumpkin One in the sense that they're convinced that this imaginary character is coming, and but in the obviously in the Pumpkin one, it never does because Linus is a dumb ass. But in the Easter one it is. It's the Easter Beagle, and Snoopy winds up being the Easter Beagle. I love the Charlie Brown movies, but I cannot stand Linus. He is worthless.
Speaker 3: I love Linus, he might be my favorite. Christmas is the best.
Speaker 1: Landon and I are a ziggy like the Christmas I don't know. The Thanksgiving one is really really good too, like just just a really pure Yeah.
Speaker 3: New Years is fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the New Year's one is really good. Yeah, that's a really good classic cartoon. That again, I I don't know how you can have a problem with except for who I'm married to. I'm at Ryan Underscore Orlanders basketball. Question here, how many of the last ten National Player of the Year winners in college basketball can you name without messing up? Bette, Frank Zacht He counts as too.
Speaker 2: You've got three, Mitch Lightfoot, Zach Clements, Cliff Alexander.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I should. I should be able to get more than than this. This is pretty bad, truly. I don't I know someone you name them, but I have not a clue to be quite honest with you.
Speaker 1: You got a guy who wanted Allen field House in a very high profile game. All buddy, healed, No, he didn't win it that and he actually lost somebody else you have. Let's see that was way longer. That's we can keep going back. I can do these from memory. Okay, let's just go back together here, Zacharya, he's won the last twenty two somebody won at Allen field House. He played for Kentucky and he started at a big twelve school Oscar Correct, twenty one guy played for Iowa. Oh yeah, guy, Nope, I just kidding it. Yes, it is a.
Speaker 2: Very lood guy. That's a bad joke.
Speaker 1: I already forgot you're talking about this is the land and he narrowly beat out Marcus Garrett.
Speaker 3: Right, remember this guy? I I Luca Garza.
Speaker 1: Correct. There you go number twenty twenty mid major team almost beat Kansas in maui Obi toppin. Yes. At twenty nineteen, fat uh.
Speaker 3: Zion.
Speaker 1: Hey you go twenty eighteen on the Villanova team that blitz Craig Kansas in.
Speaker 2: The final four.
Speaker 3: Jalen Bronson.
Speaker 1: Yes, And then you go Mason and you go sixteen who narrowly beat Buddy Healed, and that was the wrong choice, by the way, at least if you go by the Naismith, that's correct. Who narrowly beat Buddy Healed. He had a triple double against Kansas in the Champions Classic. Favorite basketball team of all time?
Speaker 2: Oh it is it was it Denzil Valentine.
Speaker 1: Very good, keep going back. Fifteen guy who beat undefeated Kentucky.
Speaker 3: Team, Frank Kaminski.
Speaker 1: Yep, fourteen coaches kid of a guy that beat Kansas this year.
Speaker 3: Doug McDermott. Good.
Speaker 1: How much further back can you go? Twenty Yeah, yeah, we're back aways now. Thirteen guy who beat Kansas in this week sixteen Trey Burke. Trey Burke, very good. Twelve hy Davis is the one before. Yep, that's good. Twenty eleven scored a lot of points as a Mormon. Jim correct. And then you keep going back. Now I'll just give you the school because now it's getting harder. Twenty ten Ohio.
Speaker 2: State, Oh, Greg Older, you guys are both wrong.
Speaker 1: You guys are like those are right in between those.
Speaker 2: Two oldin uh no idea.
Speaker 1: An NBA great Evan Turner was your National Player of the Year winner consut two thousand and nine, Oklahoma Blake Griffin, yes, eighth, North Carolina hands bro yep Oh seven, Landon said Durant, that's right. Oh six current coach of the Lakers.
Speaker 2: Redick yep uh.
Speaker 1: And then you keep going back. Oh five, Illinois played for Bill self D Brown, Actually, yeah, they're both on there. D Brown and Andrew bo get tied. And then you keep going back. Then than now, we're going back when Landon was literally in diapers. But you did better than I thought. I thought that I didn't know Luca Garza's name. Would Labster mind? How people forget he was so good at rock Chuck aj Which is better from McDonald's the peppermint shake during Christmas or the Shamrock Shake during Saint Patrick's Day if their ice cream is working, ice cream machines working, ads man, I haven't had the peppermint shake either. The shamrock one's good.
Speaker 3: I am a big shamrock guy.
Speaker 1: Okay, I suspect I would say Shamrock if I had them both. I'm not a big peppermint guy, except for if it's gum.
Speaker 3: I do like peppermint, so there is a chance that I would love the peppermint.
Speaker 1: Rock. Speaking of food and fast food, rank your three favorite fast food fries, says at Ol R. Casey.
Speaker 3: McDonald's is one for sure. Yep.
Speaker 1: Good take earn him back your good graces.
Speaker 3: I really like Slims fries. Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 1: Strips has really good fries. They're a local place here, though, so I think we have to go chain. Somewhere in the bottom hundred is culvers. I am so over crinkle cut fries.
Speaker 3: They're They're fine. I like them, but they're not like great by any stretch.
Speaker 1: Sonic has good do like a I do you like a Chick fil a waffle fry?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I knew you were gonna let me. Yes, you like the butts? You like the butts of the potatoes that suck?
Speaker 3: I don't. Actually those are what man correct. Nobody likes those.
Speaker 1: Wendy's has pretty good fries. I like your Slims call though, that's pretty good. Cam, what say you?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna set it out because I only I haven't had fries and forever, but I will say in and out fries are terrible.
Speaker 3: Cam's answer is hand of animal style sucked.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's what I've heard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're just quite flat.
Speaker 1: Cam's answer is any restaurant that uses peanut oil to make their fries, So he would probably say Chick fil A very high on the list.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would just I'd drop a bomb on them if I could actually.
Speaker 1: And then you would literally just drop dead because you could not eat there. At Bentley Hunt fifteen says what's your favorite Christmas song? Where are You Christmas? We didn't say the Grench in our favorite Christmas movies, but that's narrowly missing the cut. That theme song is my favorite Christmas song. That and Bruce Springsteen rocking out on the saxophone to Santa Claus is coming to town.
Speaker 3: Uh, have yourself a merry little Christmas.
Speaker 1: That's very lank.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just gonna say Charlie Brown Christmas music.
Speaker 1: Oh that's I'll play. Yeah. Well, if you like that, they come stay at my house and tell Alexa to turn on the lights. That's all you'll hear in our house. At show me, Hawk says, fun fact, this is a ten year anniversary of my Kansas fandom, adds he became a fan during the twenty fifteen tournament, which, as we alluded to earlier, was a very exciting game against State that that's how you became a fan, by watching Evan Wessel drown Kansas slowly but surely. And he asks, is this would be a Kansas fan in twenty twelve? Was like Missouri beating Kansas and holding the win over Kansas's heads for the rest of the season. The answer is yes, it was Kansas in a thrilling game with Marcus Denman as the catalyst back then. But Kansas beat them three weeks later, So yeah, so it really faded fast. Now Kansas is gonna have to sit with this one for a while, and Kansas could do a lot of things this year, And Missouri fanser assumed me, like, but we beat you on that day where you had twenty five turnovers in Colombia and they did landa. Do you remember that game?
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's I barely do.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: They both should have won at the other team's venue that year. That's kind of what I remember there. Another one from at Show Me Hawk says, if Kevin mccullor doesn't get hurt on last year's team, do they have a better finish? People forget that team of seventeen and three on the day mccullor hurt his knee against Cincinnati, they would have been much better, yes, Like I agree, they would have been above like well above five hundred though, which they were like barely better than five hundred. Right, Yeah, I think that they go like fifteen and five instead of eleven and ten or whenever it was in that stretch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that sounds about right.
Speaker 1: Big, big, big difference there at Neo zeke Berner. Why do self never play kJ at the five anymore? Campus was the number one team and won the Big twelve before self had heart problems with him at the five and twenty twenty three. But now even when Hunter Dickinson goes to the bench, he'll do anything but play kJ at the five. Great question. I don't get it. I really don't get it. That would be my call whenever Hunter goes to the bench, especially over playing Zach Clements, Like when is that gonna matter?
Speaker 3: Not this year? Not ever? I agree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, God gave kJ Adams the knees that Kevin McCuller deserved. My thoughts are not endorsed by all co hosts on Inside the Paint.
Speaker 1: All audible out of that one, real quick, I won't even say if you have questions, use the Twitter hashtag ask cards to be because look what you made camp. Oh yeah, one more at Rydernes Landrath the story we were supposed to tell a while ago. Landon, tell us the story of when Jalen Wilson made you strip?
Speaker 3: What? Yeah? Yeah, that's the way I would put that for sure. What year was that? That was? That was twenty that.
Speaker 1: Year besides your favorite COVID team, sir.
Speaker 3: Yeah it was. It was in Austin a game that Kansas really did not play that well in. Late in the game, Jalen Wilson has a chance to hit what probably is the winning layup. We do have one more after this, by the way, Ryan, if you can't.
Speaker 1: Tell in the notes, I see, I see.
Speaker 3: Jalen Wilson has the chance for yeah, what would probably a game winning layup if memory serves the seas part. He breaks through the defense no one's there, open layup, only to fumble the ball directly out of bounds and give it back to Texas in a game that can ultimately lost. And out of rage, in a moment of sheer anger and blind panic, I took my shirt off, threw it on the ground.
Speaker 1: I wish I had a video of that so bad, like man, because yeah, that that and Kansas led that game by like fourteen points at halftime and blew it because Bryce Thompson and o Chaya Bojie could not make anything in the second half. And yeah, then as you said, they were in position to still win it and overtime and Jalen Wilson had a layup that you'd see in a layup line and he didn't get a shot off. He fumbled it right at a bounce. Cam wants to know what is the most traumatizing thing that you've seen.
Speaker 3: As a child.
Speaker 1: Oh, man, I've been thinking about this for an hour. I I haven't seen a lot of traumatic things, Like I've been pretty lucky in that since I watched I watched Sean McNeil make six threes and one half at Allen Field House once. It made me say the F word. But that's about as traumatic as I think I've really had it.
Speaker 3: I would say, I don't feel like I have anything that's too crazy. I mean, I went I went to when I was way too young accounts.
Speaker 1: I went to game at Arrowhead once where Kylo Kyle Orton was trying to lead the Chiefs of the playoffs and it didn't go well. That was pretty traumatizing.
Speaker 2: Huh, I thought, I think better better answers. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: In an ode to Jim Beheim and also O. J. Simpson, I saw a kid that I was walking home from school with once get just plowed by a Ford pickup truck, and uh, yeah he got. He lived, so it's okay, but he was never quite the same, and I believe he committed some fellon. He's allegedly later and he's been in some trouble. But yeah, I always there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I haven't seen anything traumatizing like that. I was crazy.
Speaker 2: He's trying to think that's horrible. Yeah, I know that's gross. I was at it.
Speaker 3: I was in line.
Speaker 2: I know he's still alive.
Speaker 1: I was in line at the bank and the drive through once. This is during COVID whenever he's losing their minds. And I saw two people get into a shouting match about who got to a one lane first, and neither one of them wanted to let the other end. So one guy got out of his car and stood in front a person's car, and that person proceeded to keep driving like they took their foot on the gas pedal and the guy is like sitting on the hood of the car because they're not you know at this point that extra potentially getting run over by a crazy lady in her car. And I just remember, like my wife was filming it and I was worried that they were going to see her film it and come over and shoot us. I was like, man, I don't want to be anywhere near this, So I guess I'll say you that I don't know. Traumatic I don't know. Maybe if I saw land and rip his shirt off because he was mad at Jalen Wilson, that'd be on my list.
Speaker 3: So come over and we'll watch nets games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's true. If you ever have any asscarcbs, Well, that was a duzy use a Twitter hashtag ask garcb use twitter hashtag cam watch somebody get hit by a car and felonies later in life. He allegedly Brown at number eight Kansas. What a boring, boring, awful matchup. This is, like I love to say, though, why would you schedule this game thing at a lot of people? Why would you schedule Brown? I don't care if they project to win anything. This is this this game sucks. They can win this game one hundred to zero, and I would still say it sucks because it is three days before Christmas on an NFL Sunday at two o'clock in the afternoon, and ESPN has no content to air during NFL Sundays, So they're like, I guess this is our main channels game. It'll be a great one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I frankly like, probably won't watch this live.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's gonna be saying sad, sad, Yeah, not excited.
Speaker 3: Well, the Brown Bears, they're seven and three overall, they have won six in a row. Their best win is Vermont or Rhode Island. Pick whatever uninteresting stat you want, the sir, oh, I see, well, I doubt they have very interesting stats either, but interesting state interesting stat it applies.
Speaker 2: Can you name one player from Brown?
Speaker 1: I will after you read this paragra Before that, I kid, I'm gonna let I'm gonna let you.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna let you. I'm gonna let you read the paragraph because I'm doing something really important for our notes.
Speaker 3: Okay, I can do that. Brown's best player is keen O Lily Junior, whoever is twenty points and shoots forty four percent from the floor. He is their point guard and also leads them with forrestists a game. He's pretty good. Lindelle Erld Malcolm Risbye Jefferson. That is the most Ivy League name I've ever heard. Yeap, Malcolm Risbye Jefferson would be a character in a Wes Anderson movie. And White Guy of the Game candidate Alexander Lesbert are the other guards of note.
Speaker 1: As is typical with Ivy League teams, Brown doesn't have a lot of size. Their five man is six seven land and Lewis. You won't get him confused with Land and Fields. He's much taller. He has averaged he averages fifteen and you don't go to Brown. But other than that, you know pretty close. Oh no, I don't know what Camp is doing. But I see in the Bronco chase. I don't know what what what's the What's what am I waiting for?
Speaker 3: Here?
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 2: It's just a reference to my buddy that got plowed by a Ford pickup truck.
Speaker 5: My, oh no, we can't do this on my Hey, you know what ouch.
Speaker 2: And can me to get Jim Beheim a white Ford Bronco for Christmas?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, oh no, oh no, I don't know if I'm supposed to keep going or not. I just will.
Speaker 3: I'm just numb to it.
Speaker 1: This this Landon Lewis dude averages fifteen and seven against the future law and CEOs and Brown's league. Then a rough year for CEOs. Hopefully they'll fare better. Aaron Cooley is six ' five and plays the four. He averages thirteen and eight. Brown must play a bunch of small teams and not very many. Hunter Dickinson's that they're six to five guy averages eight rebounds a game.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, Brown's Oh Jay Brown's metrics just look like every good good by IVY League team, a standards team. I can't read now the Kansas has ever played. They're slow, they can't shoot free throws, and they shoot a good amount of threes that actually block a lot of shots. But again, they haven't played many people, and I believe that did Ryan? Did you just read this?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I didn't. You're doing great. I'm torching our entire show right now. Sweet, They're they're good at not fouling. We also have to hope that everybody doesn't foul out, because by role, we would then turn to a spelling be to determine a winner, and I don't need aj Store going up against Alexander Lesbert with a W on the line. Also, we're not gonna call on Doug McDaniel to help us out.
Speaker 1: That's true. Yeah boy that If you get that, you know exactly how stupid I am. But it won't matter because we'll all be laughing maniacally as Alexander Lesberg makes three after three at the fog in front of sixty five hundred people, because all the students have gone home and my Twitter mentions will be.
Speaker 4: Well, the students when I was there, would have never missed this game. That's why we're not playing Better Love whenever the students go home and I get lots of those mentions.
Speaker 1: Kansas has played Brown twice. They're two to zero. The aggregate total of those games is two hundred and twenty two to ninety four. Both games played in the Roy Williams era and this one's in the bell self are, which means buckle up for sixty six to fifty eight.
Speaker 3: I think this will be a win, I believe it or not for Kansas. I think they're gonna beat Brown. I do think Hunter Dickinson will go off again. So look for like twenty and fifteen from him in a game that Kansas wins. I will say seventy one fifty fifty five, and you won't remember anything about it.
Speaker 1: By the time we come back on this podcast and recap, it will be like, oh, Hunter had sixteen and twelve. I don't remember any of them. I remember him doing the two short dude against the future investment banker, but I don't remember anything else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, pretty much. I think Kansas wins. I don't know. It's gonna be terrible, sixty eight to fifty one. Nobody cares about it, and then we forget about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. If I could remove one game from the schedule every year, it's the IVY League game. They insist on doing this. They played Yale last year, it was so forgettable. They played Harvard the year before that. It was so forgettable. You guys already forgot those games existed, didn't you. Did you know that Kevin mccolor scored thirty six points against Yale last year? Nope, you don't because you forgot it. Half wow, because yeah, there you go.
Speaker 3: Only did forget that until right now?
Speaker 1: Because they always play an IVY League team right before Christmas, and it's never any fun and this one will be the same. Kansas, Yeah sixty, God they should get in the seventies. Seventy two to fifty seven or something. Just bore me to tears. But hey, you know, if you got Alan Fieldhouse tickets, God love you for choosing this over an NFL Sunday. I guess Chiefs plays Saturday. That'll help other games. Not a ton of games to choose from this weekend, but we did manage to scrounge up four more number nineteen Cincinnati at number twenty two Dayton. I will put a little bit of faith in the Big twelve. Give me the bear Cats, though I hate it.
Speaker 3: Flyers.
Speaker 2: I'll take the Flyers.
Speaker 1: Actually, Number sixteen Perdue versus number two Auburn and Birmingham. Do we have any faith whatsoever that the boiler Makers play the Tigers stuff?
Speaker 3: No, maybe to win Auburn, Yeah, Auburn, you're both right.
Speaker 1: I think I do think Auburn eventually will slip up against somebody that were like Okay. Also, I'm looking at the ESPN score that said Arizona beat Samford by forty Do you guys remember when Kansas played and definitely did not win by forty.
Speaker 2: They won by foul.
Speaker 3: Rooting for Sanford. By the end, they.
Speaker 1: Only won that game because the refs decided to call the worst blocking foul in the history and that entire tournament. That was the worst call the whole tournament.
Speaker 2: I honestly wish they just lost that game.
Speaker 3: That's yeah.
Speaker 1: Landon has said that before. I don't because that would hurt. Well, then I could still laugh again, Zaga. I guess Number eighteen UCLA versus North Carolina. There are two games in the CBS Sports Classic in New York City. Here's my You know what, North Carolina can't lose them all. I say they win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, Yeah, I unfortunately agree.
Speaker 1: And in Ohio State not falling for that again. They get pants by number four Kentucky in the night cap, better than.
Speaker 3: The Auburn game. But I think Kentucky does win.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure if it's better than the Auburn game. Kentucky by a lot.
Speaker 1: All right, So what do you guys want to do with the show? Are we gonna go in a couple of days before Christmas? Are you taking a break and not going till after? They don't play again? Until New Year's Eve after this Tuesday at two pm game. Yay, I'm good with before. I don't really care, all right, look at that.
Speaker 3: Whatever you guys decide, I can make something.
Speaker 1: Work cool, then we'll probably be back sooner than you think. On this Christmas edition of the Inside the Bat podcast, I am Ryan Landreth and I like a Christmas story.
Speaker 3: I am Landing Fields and it is fine.
Speaker 2: I guess I'm Cam Lipole. And if you're gonna drive a forward pickup truck driver responsibly.
Speaker 1: Somebody say goodbye to that kid that cam watch get hit by a bus.
Speaker 3: By that kid.
Speaker 2: That's bye, Bud. Don't make crimes