Speaker 1: Something you should go Something you should know is brought to you by Genesisgoldira dot com. That's also something you should know. You can put your retirement plan. I'm the gold Standard. Learn more and get a free Gold and Silver guide at Genesis gooldr dot com. Excited to have a guest join me today to talk about something very special, We have Pam Hoffman joining us from the Pink Door Network. Now, a lot of folks know that today is Halloween, it is the final day of October, but did you know October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. And at the Pink Door Network that means something special and it's a great opportunity for you to make a donation, and today would be a great day to do that, wouldn't it.
Speaker 2: Absolutely Yes, Pam, Let's.
Speaker 1: Talk about the Pink Door Network and where this idea came from, and then we'll talk about how folks can get involved.
Speaker 2: The Pink Door was founded in twenty nineteen when I was adding an addition onto my home and I was going to be having spare bedrooms, and I was initially thinking about people from a hometown coming for hospital and clinic treatment stays. And then I was at my own namogram, which I've never had breast cancer, but it was just, you know, the precautionary mammogram. And I learned that there are women who actually don't even come back to our fine city because it's going to be such a trek and an expense on their family. And this also includes men. Men get breast cancer just as easily as women do. It's not that as common, but we don't really think about that, but they do as well, and they don't come back. And I thought to myself, you know, I don't want that to be a financial burden non families. How come nobody's talking about this, And the gal doing my mammogram said, well, because they quietly go home, and that just saddened me. I thought, you know something, we need to be opening our doors in our city to people from the rural areas so that they can stay and not worry about the expense of lodging and all the expenses of dining out for maybe a week long of chemo treatments or radiation treatments. And so that's why I did that. They can come and they can stay at my home for free anytime during the week, even on weekends up a scheduled and if it's not already booked and stuff, and they're welcome to stay for free and then they don't have to worry about any of those stressful extra finances. Just hum and get better.
Speaker 1: And my wife Heidi and I have actually been there before. It's a beautiful, beautiful place. And I love your heart. I love what you're doing. This is great. Let's talk about why it's called the Pink Door Network.
Speaker 2: Right when this gal was was doing my maamagram and I looked at her and I said, you know, that's not going to happen on my watch. I'm going to start a nonprofit then, and I'll call it the Pink Door. I named it looking right at her. And then as the time grew closer to my opening and my ribbon cutting with the chavor of Commerce, I thought to myself, maybe I better check. And there was a pink Door in Seattle, Washington, which was actually a restaurant, and there's also a pink Door in Texas which is a hospice place. And so I named mine the Pink Door Network because I also have a network of people that if I am booked, then I have people who will open up their doors and their guest rooms to these people so that there is another place to stay, so we always have options. It's a network of wonderful hearts, wonderful great people.
Speaker 1: And the Pink Door Network. You have people that come from this area, but also from a great distance as well, don't you.
Speaker 2: I actually have someone that has driven ten hours twenty minutes away from the Montana border from Medora, North Dakota. I have people that come from Iowa, people that come from Nebraska, people that come from all different rural areas of South Dakota, some from Marshall, Minnesota. So yeah, they come from all around and they are so grateful and so relieved when I tell them, no, you don't know anything. This is paid for by people who care.
Speaker 1: I love that you do that. That's very very cool.
Speaker 2: So thank you very much. Thank you.
Speaker 1: And it's the last day of October, which is also the last day of Brass Cancer Awareness Month. And if I'm listening right now, and I'm going, hey, you know what, I love this thing that you're doing. I love the whole concept and I'd like to give. How can people make a donation to you today for the Pink Door Network.
Speaker 2: You can Venmo and that would be the APT sign the Pink Door Network and then the four numbers they need is two to two one, so that would be a venmo option. They can also do zell at six zero five three one zero two two two one And if.
Speaker 1: You would like to go directly to the website, you can make a donation there. You can also find the contact information if you want to mail a check or if you're a maybe right now, you didn't jot all that other stuff down, what is the website to go to if somebody would like to make a donation to the Pink Door Network today, The pinkdoornetwork dot org. I'm going to share that on our Facebook page to make that really easy as well. Pam, thank you for doing what you're doing, and thank you for your time today.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me on the show. I really appreciate.
Speaker 1: That, John absolutely. And again, today is the final day of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. If you'd like to make a contribution to the Pinkdoor Network for all the wonderful things they do, you can find their website at the pinkdoornetwork dot org. I've got a link at Facebook dot com, slash Sunny Radio and Facebook dot com slash sou falls news, Hey, Something you should Know. Something you Should Know is brought to you by GENESISGOLDIRA dot com. Put your retirement plan on the gold standard. Get a free gold and silver guide now at genesisgoldra dot com