Speaker 1: Old Venture, adventure, intrigue, mystery romance starring Humphrey Boguards and Lauren bacall together in the sultry setting of tropical Avanna and the mysterious islands of the Caribbean. Old Venture. Once again, the magic names of Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall bring you bold venture and the Tale of miss and in three.
Speaker 2: Missus Moore, you're just a whiz bang, that's all. That's just what you are.
Speaker 3: We'll imagine that pottery vendor in Jamaica trying to pass off that jug on.
Speaker 4: Me is genuine native merchandise. Mister Haven wanted me to be careful, didn't you tell me?
Speaker 1: Sure? I did. I've been to the Caribbees before. I know how these natives work. Wow, I'm glad you two waited that he came to a Vana before you purchased any pottery. I've got a little item here you might be interested in.
Speaker 2: Plate these people want to go to their rooms. It's pretty late.
Speaker 1: I only show it to you because your guests at the hotel got it right here under the desk. How do you like it?
Speaker 4: Oh, it's very pretty.
Speaker 1: It's got a real interesting design on it all right? Uh huh shape for the flying fingers of the Crawlings. Crawlings, a little known tribe of artisans, direct descendence of Lafitte, the pirate maroon done a small atole some sixty leagues from here. Instead of dying, they made pots. See damp right here, crawling crawling's uh with a pocket mirror in front of it. It would come out in Newark, wouldn't it. Uh? Yeah, yeah, yeah, I guess it would well if you like it that way. We also have here a little me meado of your visitor, a leather back pocket mirror with a scene of colorful old Havanah.
Speaker 2: Tooled into mister Haven, missus Moore. Wouldn't you like to see your rooms now? They right across the hall from each other.
Speaker 1: Well, I'd like to make a phone call first, if you don't mind, Uh, you'll be all right plenty, Oh.
Speaker 4: Of course I will.
Speaker 3: I wanna tell you again how kind you've been meeting me on the boat and taking me under your wing on this cruise, or you've been.
Speaker 1: Don't mention it, my love, I am my love. Yeah, we're mmm, both of us, No, not as far as enough. I think we lost them in Jamaica. Sure, I know you'll find this, So I thought of something. Why run anymore? Well, that's gonna be up to you, Milo, kill him. Didn't you hear what I said? That's up to you.
Speaker 5: Come in.
Speaker 4: You've kept me waiting, Tommy, more and more. You keep me waiting.
Speaker 2: You're getting that tired.
Speaker 4: Of feeling Tommy because of me?
Speaker 1: How does a man get tired of a girl like you, Claudia? The things you do for a man? Steal your husband, blind, run barefoot across Somenny shores with your true love, just so as you can settle down on a fine covered island off the coast of Venezuela, You and your true love me.
Speaker 4: It's all you want, isn't it?
Speaker 3: That island a clod of coral and the Caribbean. So you can wear a sarrang and a tin crown that says king, A ten ten crown.
Speaker 1: That's it, Angel, that's just at the island, the crown and you for a princess.
Speaker 4: I supposed Jane finds us, Tommy. Suppose before we make Paradise he finds us.
Speaker 1: Jane the husband fella. The boys chased us a long way to find his grave. I'll tell you what we'll give him one. Mister Shennon. Hey, mister Shennon, I intruding, mister Shennon, including anna one, poor in your thoughts, the way you're standing here on the beach, drinking in the new morning sunshine, wondering what's out there, m out there in the ocean. I know what's out in the ocean. Fish. You are going where, mister Haven, I wanna talk to you. Uh huh, it's about me. Oh well, mister have and I I think you're a very fine fellow, loyal, kind, brave one. I think he'll go far. Is that what you wanted me to tell you? Take get easy? Will you just listen for a minute. Yeah, all my life I've wanted something. I want a place to go or just don't laugh at me. That's all An island, a place to live in without rush without I've got one all picked out, mister Shannon, an island off Venezuela. I've done a lot of research on it. You can buy these hunks of land for a song from the venzuel And govern wants me to sing for you. Now you've got a boat, I want you to take me. When I've got some things to take care of first. I'll let you know, but it'll be soon. It's a dream I've always had, mister Shannon, I need little time to put the Bowl Venture in shape. Well, uh, three hundred bucks for the trip Haven per person. I'm going alone. Oh well, I'll just let me know. You bought yourself a boat ride.
Speaker 3: Oh tell me, mister Ball, what does a bachelor girl do for thrills in Havannah?
Speaker 4: But tell me just between us.
Speaker 2: Well, they're the Peachey museums for culture, that is, because we bachelor girls are nowhere without culture. And there's the ice cream your bikes from the vendor's on the Plato, that tooty fruity melts in your mouth.
Speaker 4: And then thenn't get the message, Dear, I meant Slate Shannon.
Speaker 2: Him that no good shill for crawling pots. Shannon the pot tycoon him.
Speaker 3: The best part of the day's gone, and Shannon's not at your side.
Speaker 4: You happy in your work, bachelor girl?
Speaker 1: What's with you? Married?
Speaker 2: Lady Slate's down at the docks getting the Bold Venture ready for mister Haven's trip to Venezuela. Slate and I are going with him.
Speaker 4: You you were going with him and.
Speaker 2: Not me, among other things. Girly, I have slate's ear a poor a word in for you if you uh oh uh, pardon me, missus moore this gentleman here, a room, gentleman with bath, without bath, Sonny shady state your case.
Speaker 1: Anything you got, miss so long as it's got four walls.
Speaker 2: Well, it just so happens. We've got one where we just added a wall. R.
Speaker 1: It's a little higher on that one. I'll take it. Bright ice room.
Speaker 2: Three A down that hall sign here?
Speaker 1: So you got a man registered here name of Haven, Tommy Haven here im.
Speaker 2: No went out a little while ago.
Speaker 1: You want him, I want him know where he is? Bright eyes ply.
Speaker 2: The docks, gentlemen, Mister Haven's probably running his fingers over our boat. The bold venture testing her for the trip to Venezuela.
Speaker 1: You bright lip, Darhli. I'm gonna go to my room, get my baggage in there. Maybe I wanna change into something cool for a walk later on.
Speaker 4: Jean, Jean, aren't you even gonna speak to me?
Speaker 2: Slap me?
Speaker 6: Even?
Speaker 4: How long can you look right through me? Pretend you don't you know?
Speaker 1: If this stuff comes with a hotel? Bright eyes spread the word. I'm not in the market.
Speaker 2: You stand there and take that. Missus Moore, what all you asked for was a slap, have had all of it before.
Speaker 4: That was my husband.
Speaker 2: Stunning relationship you two have.
Speaker 4: But not so long, mister ball. I've got this feeling not long at all.
Speaker 1: Uh per kitten? Yeah, hew you on a boat. He ain't talking to me, that's right. Matter if I come a boy I don't know. You know a man named Haven? Oh yo? Haven's not around, is he? Maybe I'll just look around out of that cabin by stay in fact, toss the post. Where is it? Where's heaven? Just because it's a fine sunny afternoon and I don't wanna louse it up. I'm gonna tell you a thing I saw having about six hours ago up the beach. That way up the beach, I saw him there. I talked to him for a little while and I left him. Now you can take off. Your name is Shannon, so yeah, so seeing you on your back, I suddenly feel real good bye Shannon. Hey ay you Yeah, I'm wait. I'm sorry I didn't give it the information you asked me for as soon as you ask me, and what well, I I hope you don't find my asking you, sir?
Speaker 4: But who are you?
Speaker 1: Yeah? You wanna know? My name's Moore, Jean Moore. We got a wife staying at your hotel. Her name is Claudia Moore. Yes, sir, my wife whose name is cl oh you are more cashed in everything I owned and ran away with a man named Haven. They were going looking for an island with my dough, and you were helping them. So you slugged me, isn't that right, sir? That's right, Shannon? I see Oh, now we can be friends more. I'll wait'll we wake up, then we can be happy about it. Times running thin, shennon night all around us, and you still haven't come up with Tommy Heaven. I look, buster, I'm as anxious to find him as you are. Nothing I enjoy more than playing audience to a show between a husband and a cat that ran out of a man's dough and his wife. I promise you, I'll hitch. We're even up on bruises, Shannon. I slug you, You slug me, sport him, but you're still on me Haven. All right, all right, so we'll ask around some more. Hey, sir, why you calling I? And I'm coming to you. You s ain't han around. I got a husband here who's hungry for the man.
Speaker 2: I haven't had a haven around here for hours. Maybe I can come up with someone else.
Speaker 1: For you, mister Moore, What are you talking about about?
Speaker 2: Twenty minutes ago, a charming little fellow with gleamy teeth came up to me and asked for you. I set him to your room. He gleamed so nice.
Speaker 1: That's what you did, eh? Come on, Shennon till I find a haven. I don't ever want you to let go of my hand. I told you I'm a sucker for a domestic phrase after you, husband, you know where the light switches are, Shennon, come up with one, yes, sir, yes, indeed say light and and something else? Had Hey Cladia, Claire, hm, yess you's been stamped for help help her. I wish I couldn't. I really wish I couldn't. Your wife's dead, mister Moore? Yeah? Or does it surprise you, Shannon? Does it really surprise you? I'll back to Bold Venture our stars Humphrey Bogart and Lauren McCall and the second act of our story.
Speaker 5: In Shannon's place on Havana shore, his trial and tribulation in Quantityga lord a husband be read Dan policeman.
Speaker 1: With book to scribble.
Speaker 5: Note on lady.
Speaker 1: Whom life forsook.
Speaker 5: The lady was a tribal lord. The lady was a wife who only Caribbean in search of new life with a man not hers, with a man not here to die by your knife busily right, So dear.
Speaker 2: A fortunate man, Inspector Lassalle, you get background music with your murders for this, my.
Speaker 6: Gratitude, Snurita, and you, Shannon, it's the talk of havana. What makes you all fell so attractive to murrors?
Speaker 1: All right? Just put up a new neon sign. My point a finger at Mailasa. When you've got the lady's husband right here with things to reveal about his wife, I write, mister Moore, Claudia's dead. That's all the revelation that'll ever come to you. Shannon. You heard the song the boys sang. Claudia wanted a new life. She didn't make it. If I could or we I want only missus Morris murderer. I give him to you.
Speaker 2: A little man was more than his quota's teeth, black hair, brown eyes. He came here and asked for mister Moore. I sent him to mister Moore's room.
Speaker 1: But sell us trying to tell you the shallow as the little man with a knife and the teeth wanted mister Moore here dead in the dark, he got mixed up.
Speaker 6: Mm get I see a start doing my shovel work.
Speaker 1: Perhaps now you will hone me with the murderer's name. Oh yeah, Grady a shallow, you can have that part because we don't know.
Speaker 6: Then I am no longer wanted here, and I am sensitive to such things. Nothing else, none cooperatives.
Speaker 2: Why didn't you tell him Slate, Why didn't you tell him about missus Moore and Tommy Haven from.
Speaker 1: The island, because that belongs to mister Moore, right, mister Moore. Yeah, and thanks for letting me keep it the no dull, the no wife, courtesy of you, Shannon Well four, May I sit down see your haven? Sure? What do you think I'm waiting for? Say you did what you were supposed to my loan?
Speaker 7: I did, Senor. I went to the Shannon's place. I asked for Signor Moore's room. I was directed to it. I went to your room.
Speaker 1: I opened the door.
Speaker 7: There in the corner of the dark room. I saw a cigarette claw. I threw the knife here, this knife.
Speaker 1: Fool, put it away here, Let me have it. You won't have Hannah know what? Give it to me. See the knife I threw it, Senor.
Speaker 7: It was a woman I killed, I said, Senor, it.
Speaker 1: Was I heard you, mylone. You said it was a woman. It wasn't Jane Moore. It was Claudia. She must have been waiting for him in his room. Milo se Senor, a little walk Milo. We've got a straighten this out, don't we, Milo, Senor? Then let's do it. I want you to make a call for me, anything, Senor. Good in here, Milo, this phone booth, here's a nickel, Milo, call a number, she, Senor, is what number? Any number? Milo, the one you'll find on the end of your knife. Buy Milo, what's would lassu?
Speaker 2: Slate? Boy's got a murder on his hands. He calls us up and invites us to a joint in the barrio. This is a very quirky policeman.
Speaker 1: I just had a flat. Why don't we walk right in here and ask the fella.
Speaker 2: Tremp felts must be out again, daddy, cause there's no dancers here just start leftover guitar player on the brands stand otherwise.
Speaker 6: Empty empty except for him the guitarist, for me, the overworked offsue, and for you the owners of murder hotels. And you are not going to interrupt.
Speaker 1: Me, interrupt you crazy. We've been living for this moment.
Speaker 6: And I will do my utmost to make it thrilling for you both. A double file behind me, please to the third phone booth from the left. This little man folded inside with the knife in his back, A little deadman familiar to you, Senorita Dubara.
Speaker 1: That's him. That's the man who came hot Man Fellah, the.
Speaker 2: One who came to Shannon's place asking for mister.
Speaker 1: Moore, the one with a gleamy teeth.
Speaker 6: He is a barrio by the name of Milo. You call him the murderer, Senorita Doballe.
Speaker 1: Yes she did, but now we'll never know. We'll wait unless you.
Speaker 6: In the Senorita, and send your motor wish to co operate.
Speaker 1: Unless you cease to withhold from the evidence, You'll have us up to your party, huh for years and years maybe more for being with tight mouths concerning the murder of a woman concerning the murder of this man Milo concerning you're a real convincer. Us all, let's go find more. I can't stand it. One policeman call me tight mouth, and that's the way it is. More, you got a little trap from the police hanging over us. I've got to tell you because maybe you ought to give this up. Let lesw take care of it. A good suggestion is worth a good answer, that's the more. What about it? You want to comment? Make it up for me? Start with this. I had a wife once named Claudia. I have a lot of door ones too, and now there's not much of anything at all. I wish there was something we could say something. Okay, Shannon, okay, what we've been playing long enough? What's your partner? You kidding? You think?
Speaker 7: So?
Speaker 1: I asked the question your pardon it kid? What's Haven paying you? How much of my money did he brush against you? For me? For the lives? You really aren't kidding, I am. We had each other off balance once, Shannon, and I'll hear you and me even up want it that way? Huh? Just like that? Take a walk, say the both.
Speaker 2: Of you lost your nibs. What kind of a way is this, I said.
Speaker 1: Take a walk, talk to me. That's why kill each other. Fellows. Hey, there's your boy more, there's Haven. Wait your turn, Tony. Wait. This is what I've been trying to get done all day, people, and now it's done. Wish me well because Gene Moore is dead. Lab this Haven? Yeah, try that again, Shannon, you'll lie down gently beside Jean. Let's get moving, folks. We've got sailing to do. Oh you look, Maddie and Selty up there at the wheels, Jenning just like a dream in the moonlight. Oh your brains out with that gun, Haven, It'll freeze the moment in your memory.
Speaker 2: I'll cry for you, Haven. I'll give you a nice, big fat round tier.
Speaker 1: You miss me? Handhal ask me again? You miss me?
Speaker 2: Huh, you're coaxing Haven. I kind of like it.
Speaker 1: You know, it's really a shame. What is where I'm going? The island, the place neither of you will quite get to.
Speaker 2: It'll be lonely for you.
Speaker 1: You pitching something? You know? You better watch your Haven. He's been known to sell people out. Is it happening to you, Shannon? I hear the girl out? Shall we sell on your minds? They lea.
Speaker 2: Nobody's selling you out, Haven. You take me to an island. How am I going to cross you?
Speaker 1: True? True out there? I didn't want you Haven, Thanks, Shannon, only shut up. We've got a nice conversation going, sailor and knee, Hi, Haven, I mean it took the face a little to the moonlight. I I wanna look again.
Speaker 2: Like this on your feet, sailer, I'm still tasting. You'd better help me.
Speaker 1: Sure, take my hand, baby, and mind the other one still got a gun in it.
Speaker 2: Thanks?
Speaker 1: Now, what my good idea? Take the wheel away from Shennon? Go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 2: Man says I should take the wheel.
Speaker 1: Sligh, I heard him take it. Live it up. Come here, Shennon, you take orders good. Jump off the boat, Shannon, try that? Are you cut crazy? Thirty miles to went? He plays, I don't know where that is, even if I could swim thirty miles right off the side, shut him? Jump or better yet, stand where yarrow? Push off? Thanks, it's the wheel, sailor.
Speaker 8: Let me go, Let me go, let's buff go?
Speaker 1: Is that you slow? U? Nice going, sailor? So all right, I'll get better. Now give me a hand, Cogan, I've got a hand full of hair. I think he's attached to it. Yeah, yeah he is. Well, let's go back to Havana. Sailor. Our stars Humphrey Bogart and Lauren McAll will return in just a moment.
Speaker 2: That you say sharp huh whiffy, that's a beach outfit, bathing trunks, a straw hat and a blazer.
Speaker 1: Uh. Yeah, I bought a ukulele, Sailor. The instruction sheet said Vestris also obtained while wedding a collegiate outfit a ukulele. Just when do you play a ukulele? I was taught. I was taught by whom by Myrtle w she who walked by waky ky shores.
Speaker 2: No, you know, so play something already.
Speaker 1: Why what do you know? Go hey, Sailor, Sailor. I didn't know you could.
Speaker 2: For sure, I can know what these hand movements means on the sea.
Speaker 1: Pink on the show. Wait a minute, Wait a minute, wait it say pink.
Speaker 2: This, this says pink.
Speaker 1: You know what this? Yeah?
Speaker 6: I know?
Speaker 1: Is that what it said? Did it? Sailor?
Speaker 2: You read me like a book likey island.
Speaker 1: Field and so. Our two stars Humphrey boll Guard and Lauren Bacall have brought to a close our latest old venture story. Special music was composed and conducted by David Rhose. May we invite you to listen again next week at this time or another exciting adventure starring Humphrey Boguard and Lauren Bacall together in Oh Bet You