Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jay Gonzalid sound Fox Sports fourteen fifty powered by Nova Insurance Services and Sure Your Most Prized Possessions, Katz R two SOD and iHeartRadio Station.
Speaker 2: Hey, good afternoon, everybody.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Iron the Ball here on.
Speaker 2: Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 4: From Steve Rivera, He's jaging zawis don't go, Jason, don't know. I did a Kleenex yesterday just to get over the stop stop.
Speaker 5: You know what I feel like, like like a wife, okay, that you don't want anymore. That's okay, she's gone. That's okay, and you're happy she's gone. It's gonna be the same kind of thing. You're gonna forget about me by Monday.
Speaker 2: There's always the most right.
Speaker 5: You're gonna move on to the next, to the next one up, and that's the way it is, the most coming up.
Speaker 2: As long as the bus doesn't hit me. I'm fine.
Speaker 5: The way you talk about ex wives around here, it's like I feel like I'm his wife. Okay, Okay, it's kind of like gone and forgotten probably by five o five on Friday.
Speaker 4: You're you're here Monday, right, yep, we won't know what the hell who he is by Monday.
Speaker 2: Who is the guy that? What's that guy?
Speaker 6: Guy?
Speaker 2: What's that guy?
Speaker 4: We're gonna say, you know, could be doing the j thing? What the hell his name? I think, what the hell I'm not. I'm not even worried about that. I'm just like gone and forgotten in no time for well, I'm already call making calls to see who can or who will or whatever. I might just do it my own for a while. But besides the point, so so uh one of our readers, I think one of our listeners sent me a note and he said, uh, some people are talking about you guys, Jay leaving, you guys not being together, And I said, well, what was the sentiment? Well, you guys are going together. You have a little chemistry, like you said yesterday. And he said, you're like you're like Dean Martin, He's like j Lewis, Oh man, I'm just guy.
Speaker 2: You're the you're the funny guy, or you're the guy who makes kind of.
Speaker 5: You know that was that was the stud and the nerd. Okay, no, not like being the nerdy Jerry.
Speaker 4: You were the you're the guy that kind of we kind of made fun of the kod stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know you went along with it. Yeah, no, it's fine, You're fine. I'm not sure I like the Dean Martin Jerry Lewis thing. I like to think that. I like to think more like Paul Newman and Robert Redford. How's that? Okay?
Speaker 5: I don't care which one you want to be. You know, Paul Newman he was sort of the lead guy in the Sting for those of you who can remember that movie, right, And Robert Redford was the kid, you know, the the what do you call it, the protege? You know, you had been doing this long before I was, So I feel like I've always been that guy.
Speaker 2: So I'm Robert Redford, you're Paul. Who would be Andy Garcia? And who would be the other?
Speaker 5: It could be Andy Garcia and not cheating no, and it's not cheating.
Speaker 2: Chong, and it's not George Lopez. I don't I think Andy Garcia has a partner. He didn't really have him, and I don't know if there is there is. They don't. The dudes can't get along, okay.
Speaker 5: The whole Mexican culture is if you're successful, the other Mexicans don't want you to be successful.
Speaker 4: I'll say this because you know we're both Hispanic. And I've used this analogy a number of times. I don't know if I've used it with you here, but it's the crab mentality, and I'm sure that people who are Hispanic are listening to It doesn't exist. It doesn't exist. So you have you have a few crabs in the bucket, right uh. And one tries to get out and he's almost out. What happens exactly?
Speaker 2: You ain't going anywhere.
Speaker 5: So there's a there's a great George Lopez kit on one of his early CDs talking about exactly that, how Hispanics and Mexicans in particular.
Speaker 2: And I experienced this in my family.
Speaker 5: I think family that if you're successful, the rest of the family resents it.
Speaker 2: They're pissed. I look at him and everything of himself. Short story, but a true story.
Speaker 5: My brother was running for county attorney, Okay, and he went knocking door to door on our old street, Okay, and the guy told him he wasn't voting for him because he left the neighborhood and instead he was going to vote for the white chick who had never been south of River Road. He was going to vote for her because he was mad at him. And it's a true story, you know. So if there's people out there who said, you guys.
Speaker 2: Are making it up, no we're not. No, we're not.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: So now we don't have to hear about this on Monday, it will be normal, just us, just us.
Speaker 2: But no, Okay, So we have a couple of days today, Tomorrow and Friday. We're going to make our usual Friday picks right right, and I'm going to keep doing that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, every Friday. I'm going to call in on Fridays and we'll get our picks. By the way, we sucked last week. Both it was horrible, horrible. I sucked just a little worse than I did. We're tired now, Okay, we've got only seven points after three weeks. That which is bad. It went perfect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got to.
Speaker 5: You need to average three points and we're two on two points under that already three weeks into it.
Speaker 4: No, it's about the only you gotta save me was uh was Deon Sanders. But I want to talk about this right now because we've talked about this a little, but now Dion is ripping the media a shock there again about about yeah, that we're the media, that we're the media is too tough on college athletes after these nil deals. Wrong, you were exactly right. I don't know how the guys feel. And we were talking to h matthe you here before when you were out on Monday. Uh, guess what they're making big boy money. Yeah, they're making big boy money. Territory, big boy issues.
Speaker 2: It comes with the territory.
Speaker 5: Like I said when yesterday when I singled out Djule and how bad he's playing, with the amount of money he's making. If you want to make that money, you got to take the other things that come within it. Deon Sanders is full of crap if he's saying that, I haven't seen any of that, but came out yesterday to follow what you know, what you just said now And maybe he's maybe he's he's talking about his own kid and and Travis Hunter and all that. But no, if you want to make that money, then you take all the other things that.
Speaker 4: Come with there are consequences with it. In fact, I guess Hunter just made a big deal with nerd Wallet. One of those big things with with Juju from USC and a couple of other players so that's even more money. Right, how do you avoid not if they don't perform?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 2: Being a critique of that.
Speaker 5: Right, right, And then it goes to the discussion. You know, you're you're the booster. You're giving money to the university, either by through the tickets or you know, just flat donations, and a guy is not performing, you're going to be less likely to hand over more of that money down the road.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know that we've spoken to and we wouldn't I wouldn't bother him now, but h and they're not the issue. Noah and Noah and Uh and Tac. But Umberto put a little money on it that he did to you know, but on the come that they would come and they so far, so good, So far so good, those two, right, But but the team itself listen.
Speaker 5: Missing look and I look, there's not I'm not saying that this could happen or what happened, or let's say teammate goes out and Uh gets the dui, right, maybe he suspended from the team. If you're Humberto Lopez, what are you thinking?
Speaker 2: Right? Yeah? Good? The good thing is these they're very good, good kids. They're good kids. We know that.
Speaker 4: And of these kids are and that's part of the success that you you want to reward good kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: He also said that the media, and we're kind of two dudes here in the room, is jealous or they're jealous of the money that they're making.
Speaker 2: Oh stop, oh my god.
Speaker 5: You know what if we were jealous, that jealousy would have come out fifteen years ago when NFL contracts got into the tens of millions of dollars. Well, actually, I mean we're a little jealous because we're like, I wish I'd been that good of an athlete. But in terms of do I get up at a press conference and I start hammering on Shador Sanders because he's making all that money. No, but if he gets out of line, he's fair game.
Speaker 4: Well here's the headline in the US today because I saw it somewhere else as well. Theon Sanders criticized the media for being too harsh on college athletes jealous of the nil money. Let me say this, and I'm not speaking out of turn. College kids were making money before this l al stuff.
Speaker 2: And Steve, I'm happy for them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they've had this coming a long time ago.
Speaker 5: I'm happy for them to be making this money. They should be making this money and should have been making it a long time ago. For him to say that we're jealous of that, get the hell out of here, right, Deon is he's lost, He's I don't know what.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I just don't know what goes through his brain.
Speaker 5: He sees things from a completely different world or perspective everybody else.
Speaker 4: And he is in a different world. He's got that, He's got that cashet. He was a great aff and one of the best ever. Actually, so people who listen to him and and quote him for everything, and they're quoting him on this, maybe it might be softer or whatever, but guess what, his they're still paying attention to what he says.
Speaker 5: Right well, it seems it seems like every day he says or does one more thing that makes me like him less.
Speaker 2: I liked him.
Speaker 4: Last week he made a they one they wanted to cover.
Speaker 2: That's all.
Speaker 4: That's all you got to do, cover for me, and we're tight. You you'll never pick Colorado unless you pick the team against him, right, Yeah, like you to you, they're getting close. They're they're they're kind of down the block from a s u for me. Right now because I just don't like. I just don't like. And what it means is I'll just stay away from him. You know, I just don't like the approach, the attitude, the US against them and metality when there doesn't need to be us against mentality's And you know what exactly because we've seen those coaches. We covered one of those coaches here where where. If you're going to learn from your coach, you know, I'm gonna make him into man, and I'm gonna turn them into you know, they from here as kids, I leave his men.
Speaker 2: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 4: That that if if the media, local or otherwise are thought of as a very not adversaries, but just kind of the guys you don't want to talk here, Yeah, the bad guys, the guys, the kids, the students feel that way and just what they're not right.
Speaker 5: And and the thing is that so many of those kids they see that as an example and they take that for the rest of their life.
Speaker 4: Right well, and they're gonna say, I didn't realize you guys are pretty good guys. You know, when this happens, when their careers are over, when they're not on the pedestal, that people put them on and I know a lot of those dudes.
Speaker 2: They come back, Hey, how you doing. What's going on? This is maybe a guy who never talked to me because I was part of the media.
Speaker 4: And that's an extreme example because I couldn't even come up with them one but it happens.
Speaker 5: You know who's on those Mark Plantsford. Oh really he hated me? He hated me back, now you heard. Yeah, we're pals. You know, I shouldn't say het. He got mad at me once and but no, I shouldn't. I remember because I thought he's gonna beat me up this one time. But I shouldn't say it that way. Mark was dead. You know, we didn't have an adversary relationship. Which one time he got upset. It's something I wrote. I thought he was going to beat me up. He didn't, and you know we were fine after that. But there are there are people you guys aren't so bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, after a while.
Speaker 5: After a while, right, they get to know you a little bit and they realize you're just doing your job and you're trying to do a good job doing your day.
Speaker 4: Along those lines, guys, uh, I guess the biggest game you're looking for I'm not gonna put words in your mouth. Uh, Henry, is the Colorado game here? I think it's gonna be sold out. Why wouldn't it be, right.
Speaker 2: Right, I'm actually out of town for that game, so it's Henry get to get to Yeah.
Speaker 7: I've been looking at tickets to buy tickets and to find we're really ready already over one hundred dollars per ticket too, really really, Well, that's.
Speaker 4: A good news for Arizona and they still have people in the stands and people wanted to see them.
Speaker 7: Really, but don't you use student tickets? No, I didn't buy the pass. I didn't buy the pass. So like if you want to get the regular tickets like everyone else, think yess.
Speaker 4: Like, whoa wow, So I'll breaking news are there there there's tickets speeding.
Speaker 2: So then that's like in the month, right, something like.
Speaker 5: That, October something nineteenth, I think, okay, okay, October nineteenth.
Speaker 4: Well, that's good for Arizona. They'll have people in the stands. We don't even know the time with that g.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a second home game from now because they got Utah at Utah home against Texas Tech at b YU and then Colorado.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, but then we'll know I know a little bit more about Colorado. No exactly exactly. It'll be fighting for today.
Speaker 5: Mid I mean, they got spanked by Nebraska, you know, so we'll see we'll start to see who they are as well.
Speaker 2: Right, so looking forward to that. Hey, let's get to today's show.
Speaker 4: We have about a couple of minutes stuff here, another scramble, but we got some good people.
Speaker 2: Uh, coach piece, yeah, coming in.
Speaker 4: He's no longer coaching, and we can talk a little about that, how he feels about that. And then he's part of the Southern Arizona National Football Foundation. He just joined that, and he was named to the Hall of Fame of his high school. I think it's CEO. I'm not too sure words that. We'll ask him about that. Yeah, sots about that. And then on the second hour.
Speaker 5: In the second hour, good friend of Steve's, at least because I've never met him, Kyle.
Speaker 2: Fuck oh yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah? Who did we get? You got him? I know I've been so busy today with other stuff.
Speaker 4: I got him. He said he might be running ras. I said, we're only gonn need you for twelve minutes. Great guy, you've had him, we've had him on with you.
Speaker 2: No, No, he hasn't been. Oh he is the first time he's been one of the most fantastic. He's a good dude. He got it. He's like burying and he gets it.
Speaker 4: And he probably wouldn't be the guy that he is financially and otherwise had he not piled up with the media.
Speaker 5: Right, because we're here. He was a darling of the media. We're here to help. People loved him here because he was friendly. He seemed like a good guy and and he was approachable all those things.
Speaker 4: And remember what era he came in. He came at the end of Loot right in the beginning of Sean. But he'd already established that good guy mentality when he was with Loot Right. What do you need? What can I do? Stuff like that. We'll ask him about it. How important that is? Yeah, and how successful he is because he's been huge. Yeah, and he's doing well.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I want to talk to him about China. Man, he's been trying to mad a long time over there.
Speaker 4: Right, right, He's made a lot of money and then he did the TBT thing, made a lot of money there and built some homes.
Speaker 2: Haiti I think we'll check yeah for you know, uncoolished. So we'll go with that. All right, let's take our break word and come back.
Speaker 5: We'll be back with Dustin Peace, former CDO coach, now with the National Football Foundation Southern Arizona Chapter.
Speaker 2: Stick around.
Speaker 8: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchener bathroom of your dreams. Browsey aisles of in stock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs, we are creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your luck. Find a location near you at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 4: Steve Rivera here to talk about Doratle Rock and materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the Radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Given we'll call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three.
Speaker 2: Where do you buy exercise equipments.
Speaker 9: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Healths.
Speaker 10: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach It's your goals, your health and fitness to serve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the lead manage and exercise equipment on twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 11: It's awards season for summer sports leagues and time to look at trophies for baseball, softball, volleyball, and swimming seasons for youth and adult leagues. Summer has arrived and it's time to replenish your promotional products for your companies. Giveaways keep your employees looking great in fresh new apparel, polos and caps with your sharp looking logo. Creative Awards is here to serve your professional and promotional products needs. Visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight Westrackman Street or visit them online at Creative awardsaz dot com.
Speaker 12: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpe is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit volpeteam dot com, That's Volpe team dot com or cull five to two oh six eight five six two six Today in MLS three h eight seven Arizona b k Ninez two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity, How to commitment to Ndridson Credit greats and available loan programs or such ex change with them.
Speaker 13: Notice did you know sports cards at Memorabilia are setting record sales last month of nineteen fifty two tops Mickey Mantle so for twelve point six million Lebron James Rookie.
Speaker 2: So for five point six.
Speaker 13: Also, collecting cards is a family fun hobby that can be very profitable. If you want to start a collection or expand your collection, check out Showtime Cards. They are one of the leading card shops in the country and have served our local community for twenty five years. They are located on e Speedway That's Showtime Cards.
Speaker 14: Ready to save but not sure where to begin? Take the Pyramid Federal Credit Union ten thousand dollars Saving Challenge and we'll guide you along the way. Save five hundred dollars over six months as a member and.
Speaker 2: You could win big. Watch your savings grow.
Speaker 14: To help you reach goals like buying a car, owning a home and more. Visit pyramidu dot com Slash ten k challenge to get started today and really insured and sing you way.
Speaker 9: Gout bugs, termites, fees or rodents. Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. That's can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 4: Selling your home want to get more money for it? Will Danny Roth can help you? He told me about as you Flip the Home You Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Armny Holmes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling at Home Daniel Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand.
Speaker 1: Streaming live I Mean, iHeartRadio WAP. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jay Gonzalez on Fox Sports fourteen to fifty.
Speaker 4: Hey, welcome back to I'm About Here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Roberta, he's Jake and zaalaz Now on the phone. We have Dustin Peace from the Foundation, the Southern Arizona Football Foundation Hall of Fame, National Football Faational. That's a long too long for me, Hey, Dustin, can you hear Here's?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I can hear you now. Yeah, that's that's kind of kind of what you wanted as a CEO high school.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what is by the way, congratulations on making the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: I don't know what hall of fame you made though.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a it's actually a Falling Wealth Hall of Fame because that's where I thank you. I went to That's where I went to high school and played and all that number. So, yeah, that happened in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: They're just finding out that you were a pretty good dude.
Speaker 6: It's good timing because I have Friday's Fridays available now. There you go, So thank you.
Speaker 2: So, So first question, are you missing it? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Good question, you know, Yeah, the competitiveness I'm missing and missing the boys without a doubt. And then on that hands, you know, I've been watching every game from home trying to not be a distraction to anybody at cdo. So I've been watching the games just to kind of root for coach McKee and the coaches that are all still there. He has the same staff and uh obviously for the kids as well. But one thing I didn't miss is, you know, we had just had labor Day a few weeks ago, and normally it's like a ten hour workdays for a football coach, and we were at the Great Wolf Lodge with my boys. So those are the benefits that I'm getting back, So appreciating those moments for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's time you can get back, right eventually. And one and two it must have been I don't think we talked since you since you did you left or you did leave?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 2: So so isn't it great Jay to go out on your own terms? Oh? Better than anything? Right?
Speaker 6: Yeah? I think it was cool, you know, being able to be the head coach for fifteen years. It doesn't happen too often anymore, so, you know. But yeah, there are pieces I missed, but right now, you know, finding out that there's more device than football, you know. So it's been good, all right?
Speaker 5: So what are you doing with your with all that extra time? Besides joining the National Football Foundation.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know it was. We had our first meeting the other night, and it was awesome to be around adults because right now I'm doing physical education teaching pe and at a at an elementary, so I'm dealing with K five kindergarteners are getting the best of me. So being a part of the National Football Foundation has been awesome. Grateful for coach Kiss to give me the opportunity. He actually, I think it was in January. He's like, hey, when everything kind of went down, He's like, hey, I'm going to reach out to you about all this, and I'm super excited about being a part of it.
Speaker 5: I got to ask you, have you taught the kindergarteners the updowns yet or any of that stuff.
Speaker 6: It's funny, you know, it definitely humbles me because you know, you just got to do totally different ball game from one end of the spectrum to the other. So you know, naturally my football stuff comes out, but not to kindergartener.
Speaker 5: So I've heard adults say that their teenage kids are acting like kindergarteners, So how different is it really?
Speaker 6: But here's a great thing is kindergarten are supposed to act my kid, you know, so when you're dealing with high school kids they are acting that way, then it becomes yeah, a little bit freshery. So a lot of benefits there to working with those kids.
Speaker 4: The funny thing that the most pre same thing party for them as us, mister peace coach piece can where's the restroom?
Speaker 2: Getting the bathroom.
Speaker 6: Totally you know, and they kind of know about cdo but they don't have any idea. They just you know, they just they just like me where I am. And it's not that I've you know, I've been a coach or doing any of these other things. So it's definitely a new pase.
Speaker 2: But it's cool. I was gonna say kindergarten cup, but it's not really so so garden coach coach.
Speaker 4: Right, right, So before we go into the foundation and stuff. Uh, and I talk about this with Jay and the guys we have on who are like you coaches or players. Uh, there's always that competitive itch. There's always did you say goodbye forever or just for no?
Speaker 6: I think just for now, you know. Just it's a pretty prime time I think for my boys, my kids who are in the first in the fourth grade, and uh, really want to give them the time they need as a family, because you know, being a high school folk all coach or a basketball coach or anything in high school, your family, not just your immediate family, but your extended family takes on a huge burden because you know, who's taking care of the kids, who's picking up the kids, who's getting lunch, and who's going to doctor's appointments like you know. So I'm grateful that I had that support to do it, but it takes you know, everybody to be able to be able to give so much time to your high school students.
Speaker 2: Okay, so here's another another dad question.
Speaker 5: Then you know you've been up close and personal with the concussions, the blown out knees, the busted up shoulders, et cetera, et cetera as a high school coach.
Speaker 2: Are your kids going to be playing tackle football?
Speaker 6: Are they going to be playing football?
Speaker 2: The tackle football?
Speaker 6: Uh? You know, yes they will, I'm sure, just because they love sports, you know. But my other, my oldest one, I'm trying to get him into golf.
Speaker 2: One.
Speaker 6: My little one's a bruiser, so he might end up being a football kind of guy. But without a doubt, you know, anybody can get injured, I think on any any form or fashion, but I would say that I'm not We're not going to start early. I'll openly say that that I don't think at certain ages they don't need to they don't need to be getting that extra contact, especially when you know you're just not aware of your body yet enough yet and just fall on the ground and hitting your head on the with the helmet is can cause a concussion. And once one of those concussions start, it's kind of like they become more. You get more and more to become repetitive, because just like a bruise. I'm not no expert or no doctor or nothing, but when a kid had got a concussion in our program, the likelihood that they would get another one is higher, I think than than a kid that hasn't. That could I could be wrong with science and on that, but that's what I tended to notice.
Speaker 2: So how old are your boys?
Speaker 6: They're in for ten and six?
Speaker 2: Yeah still young?
Speaker 4: Yeah, still young, and you're dealing with kind of your your son's age or six year old at school. Okay, So how do you like the Foundation.
Speaker 6: Foundations off? I mean, we had our first meeting, our second meeting. First one was on Zoom, but we were just some Monday we had it and just being a part of that collective group of like, you know, you got coach Kish, who's a you know, deepensive coort at the University of Arizona. You got you got Olympians, Lacey Nymeyer, you got coach Bush, you know who was a Frank Bush, who was the Olympic swim coach. You know, just all these minds in the room trying to bring our community together. And they're not even football all football teams, right, but they understand that, you know, sport in general to bring our community together, and they just care about our community. And I'm blessed to be a part of it. You know. When I was in high school, I was actually a recipient of their award, and then I was able to have several CEO players become recipients of their award. And now I get to kind of help the side who gets those awards. So it's been a nice full circle for me personally, but more excited to give back in the game in different ways, you know, because it's not all just about wins and losses, and we all know that as coaches and tried about these opportunities, making deeper connections in other ways.
Speaker 5: You know, and they and and Tim Kish has really done an incredible job, you know, taking that a little further than where it had been before. Uh, with that program that they do, I think in the spring or early summer, where you know, potential Division two Division three athletes get an opportunity for scholarships and stuff, all the clinics and things that they do. There's just so much more that this group is doing. And to be a part of that as a coach, I guess, you know, it still gives you maybe a little bit of that getting involved in those things one.
Speaker 6: Hundred percent, you know, because like you said, we're going to run our showcase in February.
Speaker 2: February, okay, I mean yeah.
Speaker 6: In February, because it's right before you know, kids started getting ready to sign and go to college, and they gave out a lot of thousands of dollars of scholarships were awarded during that during last spring. So I'm grateful to be a part of that because I know how that process kind of works as a coach and how difficult it is and to have that kind of service and support free too hard. To our student athletes. It's just, you know, a blessing for a coach because it takes a lot of burden off of your shoulders because parents are like, you know, we want to say championship. And I had one kid get a scholarship, like you know, Chicotti Woodard. It was the only kid who got a scholarship, and everybody's asking, you know, we just were pretty good at football, right, you know, But it takes a lot of effort to make that happen and events like that. But yeah, coach Kischer is doing that event. We have so many more events. Branching out into girls flag football has been awesome, you know. So just reaching the community in so many ways and bringing our community together has been great to be.
Speaker 2: A part of. How cool is it to see your former stud Luke doing really well with the.
Speaker 6: U A oh man, I can't tell you.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 6: The greatest part about you know, the whole thing and him getting on the field is just when coach coach was talking about him, I think the first week and then his teammates were talking about how great of a teammate he is, and that that kind of brought more joy to my heart than actually seeing him on the field, but just knowing that his coaches and his teammates love him just like we love him because we knew him like that. You know, we know how much he likes football and how much he cares about his teammates. And I'm just glad that's already, you know, in a couple of months in, they already know who he is. You know, he's about the team, and he doesn't you know, he's not a kid that's going to be in the portal, are going to be looking for nil money. He just wants to play football at the University of Arizona. And I think, uh, that's that's what our city is about. And we embrace that blue car out of caller mentality and it's it's awesome. That's really cool.
Speaker 5: Well, I know he was a preferred walk on. I'm guessing he's gonna be on scholarship pretty soon. But how extraordinary is it that, you know, preferred walk on, true freshman and he's on the field. I mean, that's just kind of unbelievable.
Speaker 6: Yeah, is that everything happened so quickly, you know, But I think you guys and all the people that followed him the last few years know that like, Okay, he is short, but there's a reason we he was a SATs leading rusher and you know, two time wrestling state champ and we want to state championship there. Eventually, you have to you have to give some credit to this young man. And and he's definitely but he'll be the first he earns it. You know, none of that frustrating as that may have been. He's still he went to every spring practice. This last spring he didn't and he wasn't even playing. He just went to go observe and watch like he he's that involved in it.
Speaker 2: It's just you've been doing this. So you said fifteen years, we've known you all this time.
Speaker 4: Just if you can talk about how difficult and you said, only one dude got a scholarship, how difficult it is for kids to get a scholarship even though you're fantastic.
Speaker 2: Look at this dude two times stag chaps right, And we talked.
Speaker 4: I talk about wrestlers being the toughest dudes on the planet because they know angles, they know leverage, they know everything you know how to get to things. Just can you talk about that because are all the kids you've had, how many have actually gotten scholarships.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, we have thirteen playing right now. The amount that I've gotten scholarships is difficult. Like I said last year, you know, being the best team in four A to have one kid get a Division one scholarship, it just says a lot about how hard it is, you know, for the kids. And it's tough. You got this transfer portal. You're reading articles like I read an article the other day where kid had eight is in his eighth year of playing football, Like holy cow. Well know eventually that that hit some freshmen or people down the line. But right, you know, but I think we're kind of getting out of that those COVID years and all those other things. But with the portal, it's just so tough for high school kids, and especially you know, kids like Kidden really came on a senior year. It's really hard for these kids that come have a great senior year to really you know, get a scholarship. You know, even even a guy like Rock Purty, he didn't start getting scholarships. So he was like, you know, in November of his senior year, right and here he is starting for an NFL football club. You know, so but you know, it's it's good to see those stories happen and see those kids stay persistent, you know, with with their goals and their dreams, and good things work out for kids like that are willing to work hard. So and I think we, you know, over the time, we've had hard working kids and cdo and they've been able to show out. But yeah, it's it's a it's a much tougher dream than I think, you know, twenty years ago when I went to school, so, like more scholarships were available for more kids. So it's just it's definitely tough. But like the National Football Foundation being able to find like in a showcase that's more Division III, n AI maybe some Division two's and a lot of those programs are looking for kids to come to their programs. So it's kind of a reverse role where when they're not necessarily out searching for kids, like the program needs kids as well. So and we don't know about all these small schools that need football players in you know, Iowa or Dakoto, you know, so far from among us that bringing these opportunities in front of these kids is awesome.
Speaker 4: I was going to say maybe that one last thing not surprised, Well, Nil, you know, because it's it's difficult to are you seeing at your level maybe the need or the want for NIL stuff and parents kind of kneeling, the parents to hey, you've got to get my player to get some money or you know what I'm saying. Helicopter cop, hilt and a helicopter cop but helicopter.
Speaker 6: Parents, yeah, you know they I don't know. You know, the AIA passed a bylaw that NIL to whatever degree it is, is available in high school athletics in Arizona. So I don't know the parameters and you know all the regulations of that. But that got past this summer, and when I read it, you know, I didn't read the details because I wasn't in it at All I did was they, Hey, thank goodness, how bad. That's all I said. And I took it from there. But yeah, it's you're gonna see it in the valley, you know, But in Tucson. I don't know how that happens. But besides guys like b Genre, besides guys like you know, Athan Ransom or could he carry or you know, get those level kind of guys, will there be people buying shirts or jerseys or things of that sort. I think it's coming, you know. So to what degree, we're not sure, but it definitely opened a can of worms that no high school coach in this city or this stake gets paid enough to deal with or you know, because even college coaches are stepping away from college because of that il. So you know that push on coaches, Holy cow, that would that would drive a lot of people. You know, I'd even say myself really out of coaching. IFA became, you know, discussion I'd have to have with parents and kids.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: Well, well, the coaches that have left are very happy that people are just like you are. Thank you very much for joining us.
Speaker 6: Hey, guys, thank you so much. Always a pleasure to be on here.
Speaker 2: Okay, great, talk to you soon. Being take care of those kids, get them in line, keep them in line.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 4: But that was Dustin Peace. Uh, former CDEO coach, the state champion last year. Uh what in life?
Speaker 2: You know, just kind of going on on your own.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I won a championship and said, okay, that's it for me for now, I'm out now he did say for now, right, but now helping with the National.
Speaker 2: Football mon see.
Speaker 4: I would be spared to see him with this guy nugent or kind of ease himself back, or just.
Speaker 2: Kind of maybe taking over another program. Yeah good, you could see that. Okay, let's take a break, come back, maybe take some calls. Sounds good. If you're an.
Speaker 4: Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludelsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Loot is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one Email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 15: Hi, this is formal Wildcat Leman Hindally with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your attiy. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space in your life. We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gyms in freeway equipment. I'll certified fitness experts and technicians will set you up with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our share room today at twenty second in Wilmot, Arizona Health to lead to edge in exercise equipment.
Speaker 11: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from in financial dad available, it's time to earn the degreeer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot Edu slash Someday.
Speaker 4: Hey Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Markets All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, they've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance with the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven to nineteen Campbell or call him at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 1: Steve Rivera and Jake and Salaz, they have their eye on the ball on Tucson Sports Stack yet Fox Sports fourteen fifty streaming live. I mean, iHeartRadio.
Speaker 4: Wapp Hey, welcome back to my I in the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, He's Jacinsaus got a guy Henry in Todave Matthews here as well in studio. If you guys want to call five two oho four one six seventy four forty you wanna say hello to Jay, give them a birthday present or go away present or whatever kind of present I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure I like the sound of that Dave going away press. Yeah, you know somebody might do something. Did we I'm not sure have we poed anybody?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 2: Probably have? Probably? Oh yeah, your b Yu guy, yeah, and then and the Raiders guy, The.
Speaker 4: Raiders Guy yeah, keep them. That was one of our guys. So that was Richard. I think he said, oh no, it's buddy, Donnie out of your mouth.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, you know, in four years, I'm sure that there's some people out there, he said, what hell is he talking about?
Speaker 2: Well? What do I do talk about fans? Now? I have to fight a fan who's going to be, you know, generalizing fans. Yeah, you know, I do get emotional about the fans. You know, well you should, you're you're one, I'm one. You know you expect. Well, here's the thing.
Speaker 5: And I don't feel like every fan needs to be like me, But I just feel like so many fans are just they lose their minds when they shouldn't lose their minds about stuff that they shouldn't lose their minds about.
Speaker 2: Did that come out right? Yeah? Run we run that tape.
Speaker 5: By the way, I got I've got the Dodger game on here. Show Hey, let off the game with a single and immediately stole second base. So he said, forty eight homers, forty nine steals on his way to try to be the first one to be fifty to fifty, which I think he'll get.
Speaker 2: He'll he might even get it by the end of this weekend. So anyways, it's been fun to watch.
Speaker 4: Cool Okay again, if anybody wants to call five two O four one six seventy four forty, you'll still have the kod guy here.
Speaker 2: Well what's the help fun with that? Oh wow?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we'll see what happens the rest of the way because we'll be doing a show from adult Soul. Right, we're just not sure when are we're gonna start.
Speaker 5: We could start next week, Yes, we're open to start next Thursday, Casino do Soul. Well, hopefully you have that nailed down so we can talk about it by Monday. But for sure, we're really trying to get that, get that put together to start next Thursday.
Speaker 4: We know it's a little ways for some of you guys to come down and see us. If you can, it will be there same time three five, probably still a little afterwards.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe wink winking. Those crap tables are always calming me man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, so it'll be good. It'll be different, different system that we're using. Now, we're state of the art. Now, we're up to date. We are we're at nineteen ninety nine and.
Speaker 5: And we're and we're getting the nailed down because we're actually being able to use this technology where we had a whole day yesterday without interruptions in the in the feed and so it's a it's a pretty good we're you know, so far, so good today too. So knocking on wood, I think we have a collar. All right, let's take this collar. You're on the R and I on the ball.
Speaker 3: Hey, I was going to see what you would classify you of a football and basketball fans that they're more like Raider fans or cowboys.
Speaker 5: That's a good Cowboys fans to me, Basketball fans are kind of like Cowboys fans. They're football fans are neither like Raiders fans or cowboys.
Speaker 2: That's a good question. Yeah, good question.
Speaker 3: Would you say that you have a you have a football fans are more like the Los Angeles Chargers fans.
Speaker 5: They're they're more like the Carolina Panthers fans. No, that's a that's a bad thing to say.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure really in Europe, so you probably know this because you're asking the question where would you put them in? Why?
Speaker 3: I would put basketball definitely as cowboys. You know, they were good in the nineties and haven't been good since so popular. Yeah, and then and then yeah.
Speaker 6: I would say combination.
Speaker 3: I say, I would say La Chargers, probably for for our football fans, because you know, even if we're good, they're not going to really really show up. And if it's if it's something to do late at night, they'd rather just go out and party.
Speaker 2: There you go. Yea, Yeah, that's LEGiT's accurate, that's legit. The one thing, who's this again, j R?
Speaker 3: So I'm the Chris Rogers fans.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's.
Speaker 14: So so.
Speaker 4: The one thing about it, so far, so good with the students. We have a couple of students here, they've they've done very very well. Yeah, I'm proud of that.
Speaker 6: I think all that student housing that's messing up, all the traffic.
Speaker 3: And everything, and the property taxes.
Speaker 2: There's always a reason, right, Yeah, they're too young to get a fake idea.
Speaker 3: They're going to go to the game.
Speaker 2: So that's that is nice. Yeah, so yeah, no, I actually I like that.
Speaker 5: I like the I like the charges comparison because there's always this been this sort of an expectation, but they've never really reached the expectations. And once in a while they're really good and the fans kind of okay, you know.
Speaker 6: I mean, I do think it'll make a difference the earlier kickoff times that we get.
Speaker 2: I don't think that that's a big thing for me, you know.
Speaker 6: I do remember when we were good.
Speaker 3: In nineties, two thousands stuff. It was a you know, two o'clock kickoff in the UCLA or something like that. It was a packed house, right, I.
Speaker 5: Think the one thing you can expect in that and then I'm just taking my queue and it's really only one example. Anytime any of the West Coast teams are playing each other, I think you can expect those games to be at night because they're going to want to save the daytime times for when they play, right, because the Utah game is a seven to fifteen game. When they played BYU were in the same time, so as them, it's gonna it's probably going to be a night game. Uh you know obviously you know ASU, but you know when you when you're going against West Virginia, they're not gonna want the West Virginia Arizona game in Tucson to be at ten thirty at night West Virginia time.
Speaker 2: So I think that there's to me I've got that expectation.
Speaker 5: And when they play the West Coast I should say West Coast the Western teams, those will be nine games for us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so thank you, thanks so much.
Speaker 4: I was gonna ask him your thoughts on the team and what he thought, but it's going to be the same as everybody else, wait and see. Kind of disappointed to this point the stuff that you hear. Do you have your Wednesday yet?
Speaker 2: And what they say.
Speaker 5: Obviously disappointed, you know that that that they were as bad as they were. Some hope that they'll fix things with Utah, but also a belief that if they come out with a similar result against Utah, you know, get beat up is what I'm saying. You know, if they don't play Utah tough and and and are in the game even if they lose, but they play them tough and are in the game, if they don't do that, that we're headed for a six and six or seven and five seasons.
Speaker 4: So we I've joked about this after maybe Monday, Well many you were gone Monday, so that couldn't have been happened. It couldn't happened. But the jinks we haven't talked about the jinks that's right. Let me tell you something, It's real.
Speaker 2: It's alive, it's alive.
Speaker 5: I think if you know, I've got that kod Arizona skull at my house in my garage and it's sitting in a spot that if this season goes to hell, I'm going to probably go throw that down in the street or something. Just bust the hell out of it, because you know, as a fan, you just want to see some continuity, right, And I'm not saying that Arizona needs to win ten games this year for it to be considered, you know, continuing a good run. But if they go six and six, it's kind of like ninety eight ninety nine and you're back to where you were. And that's what I don't want to see. I don't want there to be a feel at the end of this year that it's the same old Arizona. You know, you're hoping that this you were hoping that last year is ten and three was the start of something. But on the other hand, the ten and three Steve was it was such a surprise that, you know, maybe there were some things that happened right cam Rising was hurt. So they beat the hell out of UCLA out of Utah. You know when they you know, they played Oregon Stadium. There was all these expectations of Oregon State. Well DJ Luis Anglele was their quarterback, and they were not very good. You know, so maybe there were some things that happened last year that were extraordinary that helped get Arizona to ten wins, and maybe they were an eight win team that won ten games, right. You know, the Oklahoma game went south on him in such a hurry in the altomobile. But then you get this pick play pickoff for a touchdown and all a sudden, that game turns around. If that interception return for a touchdown doesn't happen, what's the score of that game?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Right, right, all right, we got another the caller. Let's take this. Hi, you're on the arm on the ball.
Speaker 16: Yeah, Hi, this is Jeff. I was just following up on the dusty piece thing. Yes, and you were talking you kind of you were joking about and before he was finally realized.
Speaker 2: How good he was. Yeah.
Speaker 16: And I'm actually I'm on the the Hall of Fame committee and he was voted in probably I think he graduated high school in ninety nine. It is like a ten year waiting period or whatever.
Speaker 6: H huh.
Speaker 16: Probably right after that he was chosen, but he just kind of deferred it because he was, you know, coaching football and couldn't get there on Friday nights when they do it.
Speaker 2: Wow. Okay, so he was the first ball at Hall of Famer is what you're saying? He was?
Speaker 16: Yeah, when he was elible, he was pretty much Okay.
Speaker 6: Well, what what what?
Speaker 5: What makes somebody a Hall of Famer at Floyd Wells? I guess that would be the question, what's that?
Speaker 6: What? What?
Speaker 2: What's the criteria? What makes somebody a Hall of Famer?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: At Floyd Wells High School?
Speaker 16: Well, they christially get nominated by somebody and then uh and then the committee kind of goes over it and they'll judge what they're ah, you know what they were basically like they were all state guy like best he was. I think he was a football and probably wrestling and then they we just kind of list them all out and we discussed him and choose who we think that's uh most worthy there. So he was they will get a.
Speaker 2: Sorry go ahead. So he must have been a heck of a football player and just as a heck of a wrestler. Did he win a state tyler or two?
Speaker 6: Yeah, he was.
Speaker 16: He played freshman as a he played VARs. He's a freshman over there. And then, uh, and they say he wrestled. I'm not sure it's wrestling, think, but I'm pretty sure he was all stayed in wrestling.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 16: And then so each year that probably was a pick a guy or two invant how many and a girl and then the pick a team.
Speaker 2: That's right? That was all right?
Speaker 5: Well, well, congratulations to him and and defloining wells for naming him. Certainly been a good guy as far as we're concerned. Uh, and very accomplished as a high school football coach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's he's definitely a good guy.
Speaker 16: He's a friend with my kids too.
Speaker 2: So done it for a long time. All right, Well, great, thanks for listening. This is your first time to call. I think great. Have you been listening for a while.
Speaker 16: I've called much before last year. Yeah, when I was wrapping people I sell their tickets.
Speaker 6: And then also I bought a book from you.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, now let's talk about the book. Did you like it?
Speaker 16: The book's great, The book's fantastic. You know, I know more people should be buying that.
Speaker 2: I don't know what to waiting pools your favorite chapter before we go.
Speaker 16: Yeah, they're all they're all good. Trying to take out a good one really?
Speaker 2: Oh sure? Twenty five kids to choose from, and now you don't have one answer. Okay, no, thank you for buying it twenty I like it.
Speaker 6: I like Walton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was the first start of the book. Thank you very much for buying it. And then thanks for calling in.
Speaker 16: Okay, be Wellngratu the new office.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you. Yeah, we needed to appreciate it. Appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Okay, cool, no more calls right there, We're getting pretty close. Yeah, first hour, flew buy Oh god, already you have some breaking news for us, Henry I do okay?
Speaker 6: Cool?
Speaker 2: Where we got Henry? Or another minute? About minute and a half? Yeah, okay, okay, no cool? Cool? Right, but no, that's that's great to hear.
Speaker 5: And you know, when you think about it, for somebody who's out there listening and say, take the time to call about Yeah, yeah, Pece, it really tells you the kind of guy that he's been.
Speaker 2: Did he say his name Jeff? Jeff? Okay, I'm in Texas. Dustin said he had a good time on the show.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thanks for Yeah, So that that's really cool because you know, look, we always hear you know, people who give reviews online they're only give them when they're got pissed offing at something. You know, people who are happy. So they're happy and they walk away and they don't take the time to to comment or whatever. So to have Jeff call in and say some nice things about Dustin Peace and want to point out that he was as I as we said, a first ballot Hall of Famer at Floyd Wells, that that's very cool too, and tells you a lot about about Dustin so good, good, good for him.
Speaker 4: That's very cool, right right, and it kind of shows to his success. You know, you have success in the past, you kind of know what it is to do or to take.
Speaker 2: To be there. And he was one of those guys. And he was one of those guys. So very cool.
Speaker 5: And and you know, I'm Floyd Wells and cdo their rivals right because they're the same school district, I mean not same school district, but they're the same area. They're they're they're athletic rivals. Because you got Floyd Wells school district, you got h cdo in the anti school district. But the schools are you know, close enough that they're that they're like, Okay, we gotta hit out, we're gonna take our break, we're gonna come back, and Henry's gonna be set up with breaking you and stick around.