Speaker 1: Fed up with the everyday grind, tired up by the dull routine, want to get away from it all.
Speaker 2: We offer you.
Speaker 3: Escape Escape Transcribe to free you from the four walls of today for a half hour of high adventure.
Speaker 1: You are flying over the lonely wastes of the Pacific, lost tone by the fury of a typhoon, your gas running out and ahead of you. Is an adventure so strange, so terrifying, that your mind cannot accept it.
Speaker 3: Today we escape from reality with the tale of a navy flier who vanished from the face of the Earth into a new world of the future. As Nelson Bond told it in his story Conquers Isle.
Speaker 4: You've got to believe this. It sounds utterly impossible. I know it sounds crazy. That's why I'm here, sir.
Speaker 5: But it's the truth, and you've got to believe it. You've got to, sir.
Speaker 6: That's the way he started. Almost as soon as I'd walked into his hospital room. He wasn't violent, you understand, there was no need for restraint, but his every action, every gesture, was evidence of a psychotic condition to be extremely charitable battle fatigue. Well, anyway, it was an odd case. I was already acquainted, of course, with a history young man, graduate of Annapolis, lieutenant in the Fleet Air Arm, excellent record, citations for bravery and so forth. Toward the end of the war, he and his bomber crew disappeared over the South China Sea. Search failed to turn them up. They were, of course presumed to be lost. And then a month ago, almost four years later, Tenant Brady was found by a Brazilian freighter, drifting helplessly and nearly dead in a tiny life raft from the airplane. Curiously enough, his position was not far from that last reported by his radio operator four years ago. But when he was asked where he'd been, he gave a story so fantastic, so utibly unbelievable, and you've.
Speaker 5: Got to believe it. You've got to, sir.
Speaker 6: He's lieutenant.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, sir.
Speaker 6: I'm here to consult with you as a position out order your cure as a superior officer. Now suppose we ignore the braid while you tell me about it.
Speaker 5: Oh, thank you, doctor. Where should I begin?
Speaker 6: Why? It's your story? You know what it is you want me to believe. The trouble began I understand on your last bombing mission.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's right, that's what my troubles began. The thing's been going on for much longer than that, years, certainly decades. Perhaps somebody has got to do something.
Speaker 7: Doctor.
Speaker 5: Time is racing by, and with every passing day they grow stronger. I've got to make people understand, lieutenant.
Speaker 6: Now suppose you start at the beginning with that unfortunate last flight.
Speaker 5: Yes, sir, right, I'm sorry. I got a little.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 5: Then it was this way. We'd finished our mission and we were starting for home. We were over the South China Sea, between the Philippines and Indo China, roughly off Palawan. Everything was peaches and cream. The Ardennalyis was purring along like a dream, and I was sitting there chewing up a pack of life Savers, thinking how good that can of cold beer was gonna taste. When the intercom crackled in my ear.
Speaker 2: Lieutenant jeft Freder ten o'clock.
Speaker 5: Euh yeah, you're right. Looks like a single tramp beating up the coast. We still got a bertha, Yes, sir, okay, maybe we can have some fun. Read for to Mac, read f to Mac, go ahead, Read for jet Freighter ten o'clock. Jack, we've still got a Bertha, how about it?
Speaker 2: Why not? It's your party. Go ahead and good luck.
Speaker 5: Roger ran out. It was as easy as hitting a sitting duck. The long dive, the bomb release, the pull out, the dull concussion. We laid it down a raft stack, and that Jap ship went up like our Roman candle.
Speaker 2: Hey, nice going, Lieutenant, to right on the button.
Speaker 5: That's one jet we won't have to worry about anymore, Lieutenant.
Speaker 2: We're hit. Huh. A piece of that jet must to come up and hit us with spread gas all over the Pacific gut of the left wing tank.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I see it now. Well, guys, get ready for a bath. We'll never make it back.
Speaker 2: I've jacket east Saturday night. Never mind, I always didn't want to pick a ride at one of the little rubber boats.
Speaker 5: No need to worry. The Navy takes care of its own. I'll be out to get us before we have a chance to get thirsty Red Fo the Mac, Red Fo, the Mac, nice going fellow. Yeah only it was a two way deal. We're hit Mac losing gas fast.
Speaker 2: I think you can make it.
Speaker 5: No, it's a salt bath for us.
Speaker 2: Sorry, fellows, keep your radio on, give your last position to base before you did it. They'll have a rescue party out in an hour.
Speaker 7: Welcome, see you tonight.
Speaker 5: Good luck over Roger out. You see, there was nothing to it. It happened every day with ships all over the Pacific. They'd have a destroyer sitting there. When we came down the half hour later, when our gas was down to a few cupfuls and the rest of the squadron was long out of sight, an amazing thing happened. One minute the sky was clear and cloudless. The next minute we were surrounded by thunderheads and a typhoon burst on us.
Speaker 2: Holy count, Lieutenant, where did this come from?
Speaker 5: I don't know, but it's a lulu passing your safety belt, says, no telling what this I'll do to us? It was a granddaddy typhoon, all right. But it lasted only a few minutes. Then we got out of it as miraculously as we'd come into it. And wonder of wonders, we were directly over a small island.
Speaker 2: Well, what do you know, take a look at that site for sore eyes. Man, oh man, it looks mighty fine to me. Uh, what island is?
Speaker 5: It, Lieutenant, I don't know. I don't recognize it. After the way we got tossed around back there, I haven't any idea of our position. We could be anywhere from the coast of China to the Philippines. Who knows, who cares?
Speaker 2: It's dry land, Ah.
Speaker 3: Just in time.
Speaker 2: We're out of gas at jack. Yeah. See if you can get a fix and radio opposition.
Speaker 6: We're going down.
Speaker 5: We landed safely on a little strip of Sandy Beach, and only after we'd climbed out of the plane did we begin to have any misgivings. What do you think, skipper, That doesn't look like much.
Speaker 7: But I don't see anybody, not a sign of life.
Speaker 6: I got a good look from topside coming down.
Speaker 7: There weren't any houses. Nothing.
Speaker 5: Still, you can't tell. It could be Japs or worse, head hunters. Maybe we'd better stick together, stay close to the plane. Shouldn't be more than a few hours. Except hey, what the hold?
Speaker 2: There? A white man? Hey?
Speaker 7: What is this?
Speaker 5: Keep your eyes open?
Speaker 7: It might be a trap, But he's a white man, he speaks English and he's not armed.
Speaker 5: No, I don't see any good just the same watching Welcome.
Speaker 7: Gentlemen, welcome. We saw you lands who I hurried out to see if I could be of any assistance. May I introduced myself.
Speaker 5: I am doctor Groove, I'm a Lieutenant Brady, and these are my men, Radio man Kavanaugh, my gunnar, Sergeant Keiller.
Speaker 7: Hi, Hi, right, ex pleasure, gentlemen, pleasure? Are any of you in need of medical assistance?
Speaker 5: Oh? Thanks, we're all okay, just a little surprised to find anyone agre.
Speaker 7: Yes, of course that can be explained to you later. But right now you'll be wanting food and rest.
Speaker 5: Hey, now, little chow wouldn't be bad, but first we have to get in touch with our base.
Speaker 7: Give him my position, Oh of course, but such things take some time in these primitive areas.
Speaker 5: Or we have a radio on the plane, did have skipper?
Speaker 2: Well, I was just starting to tell you it went out just for we sighted the island.
Speaker 7: Must we got wanged up in that storm?
Speaker 5: We can you fix it?
Speaker 7: I suppose so if it's nothing serious, I'll tell you better after I have a chance to look at of course, But in the meantime I hope you'll accept our humble hospitality. We don't have the pleasure of entertaining you guests here often. It'll be good to chat with you all if you'll follow me, please, how about it?
Speaker 6: Skipper?
Speaker 1: Sure? Why not?
Speaker 5: After the last half hour we could all you was a little relaxation.
Speaker 7: Very good write this week.
Speaker 5: I should have smelled it right then. It was something strange about the whole thing. There were a lot of questions in my mind, but somehow I didn't ask them. Instead, we walked down the jungle path behind Doctor Grove like lambs to the slaughter. Tom Gill I must have had the same misgivings, because he whispered in my ear, I don't get it, Skipper, don't get what time?
Speaker 7: Where do these guys come from?
Speaker 2: Where do they hang out? When we were coming in, I made sure to take a good.
Speaker 7: Look at this island. There were no houses, no nothing.
Speaker 5: I know. I guess we'll find out soon enough.
Speaker 7: Yeah, hey, stop the cow, Will you look at that?
Speaker 5: Doctor Grove stopped in front of what looked like a big rock, and then we saw it was expertly camouflaged cement with the sliding door.
Speaker 7: Here we are, gentlemen. You'll be good enough to win. You know what that don't be alarmed. It's only an elevator.
Speaker 5: An elevator in this jungle? What kind of monkey business is this? Anyhow do you mean to tell me you live underground?
Speaker 7: My dear lieutenant, I'll be glad to explain everything later. It's all very simple. But at first I must insist that you went in the shafs on.
Speaker 5: Now you're insisting, and suppose we prefer not to step into your elevator, then.
Speaker 7: What then I should be compelled most regretfully to enforce my request?
Speaker 5: Yes again, pal, we happen to be armed a gun? Three guns? That's one detail you overlooked.
Speaker 7: I overlooked no details. Lieutenant. Would you be kind enough to fire your gun?
Speaker 5: Watch your self skip.
Speaker 7: It's a trick he wants you to suit.
Speaker 2: The sun will bring help.
Speaker 7: Wrong, my friend, I need no help very well. If you won't accept my invitation.
Speaker 5: Wait, I'm gonna keep your hand out of your pocket.
Speaker 7: Perhaps you would care to stop me, lieutenant? Okay, if you asked for it, Hey, lieutenant, try again, lieutenant, but your gun will not work. And now perhaps you'll be kind enough to step into the shaft.
Speaker 5: Look, I don't know what's going on here, but I don't want any part of it here I neither die. Come on, gang Let's get out of here a minute.
Speaker 7: I'm sorry you force me to use harsh measures. Believe me, I do so reluctantly.
Speaker 5: What's that you've got there?
Speaker 7: Just a small tube, but a very potent weapon. I must warn you.
Speaker 5: Eh, well, then you'd better use it first. I made a desperate lunch for him, and suddenly tiny shaft of light flicked out from the tube and touched me, and I stopped, frozen in my tracks, conscious, my eyes open, seeing him, hearing him. But try as I would, I could not move a muscle. I was as if turned to stone.
Speaker 3: In just a moment, we will return to Escape, but first, both Gangbusters and the Adventures of Philip Marlowe are regular Saturday Night features on most of these same CBS Network stations, So be listening to Night when they bring you an exceptional, fast moving, gripping hour of mystery. And now, with our stars David Elice, Ted Von ELTs, and Bill Johnstone, we returned to the second act of Escape and Conquerors Isle.
Speaker 5: I was paralyzed, Doctor Garum, completely paralyzed, as if turned a stone. I had all my senses I could, I could see and hear and feel. But I couldn't move a muscle, not even turn my eyes.
Speaker 6: And you say this happened because of some kind of light beam, But.
Speaker 5: Not exactly a beam, sir. Perhaps not exactly light, just a kind of kind.
Speaker 6: Of radiance, a gas perhaps.
Speaker 5: No, because it had no form, no odor, no taste. It was like becoming enmeshed in a web of moonbeams.
Speaker 6: I see. And it's only effect on you was to immobilize you.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's right. It didn't burn a sting or cause pain in any way. I simply couldn't move. It was like a hypnotic trance. And then then some of doctor Grove's companions came out of the elevator. They picked us up and carried us. I could feel their hands very softly, as if they were far away from my body, as if there were layers of rubber between them and me. I could hear doctor Grove talking.
Speaker 7: Gently.
Speaker 5: Please, I could see him bending over me into my line of vision.
Speaker 7: I'm sorry, lieutenant, I sincerely regret having to inconvenience you. But you see, just as we have the means of hampering your primitive mechanical devices, your guns, your radio, so do we have the means to enforce our requests, requests which are I assure you, only reasonable and necessary under the circumstances. Very well, take us down.
Speaker 5: My head was reeling, and fear was growing in me. Who were these men to talk of radio as a primitive device? What kind of men were they? Where were they taking the three of us? And what were they going to.
Speaker 8: Do with us?
Speaker 5: As if you'd read my thoughts, Doctor Grove leaned over me again.
Speaker 7: There's no need to be alarmed, Lieutenant, no need at all, all right, Gently carry them gently, well, Frazer. I am sorry, fred Dawdan, it was necessary. They would not come willingly.
Speaker 8: I see er a few of them, do.
Speaker 1: I'll put them in the sleeping chambers until they recover, and be gentle.
Speaker 8: They are so frightened. Poor things, poor things, poor things, he'd said, not as if we were human beings at all, but animals, some weak, dumb animals with whom they must be gentle.
Speaker 5: It was then that I began to know real fear. We were in a great underground city, but I could see little of it, nothing except what passed in front of my rigid eyes. Then I was carried into a room, deposited upon a soft couch and left alone. I could not close my eyes, but gradually the light began to fade to melt away. I was in deep blackness, and I I don't know whether the return of the light awakened me or whether it came on automatically when I woke up, but the room was bright and I could move again. I jumped up tide the door, and of course it was locked, and there was no other way of escape. The room was a small cell with metal walls and ceiling, a kind of metal I'd never seen before. There was a cot, a desk, and a chair and nothing else. But the really amazing thing was the light. I searched the entire room carefully, but there were no fixtures, no indirect lighting arrangements. The light came out of the walls evenly, filling the room, casting no shadows. Suddenly I wanted to see Kavanaugh and Geller. I yelled. I yelled at the top of my lungs. There was almost no sound, no echo from the walls. They simply absorbed the sound into utter silence. Then, as I stood there, with fear cold in my stomach, I heard a faint sound a footstep behind me. I whirled around, just in time to see doctor Grove stepping through the wall.
Speaker 6: You were you said, through the wall, Lieutenant. Of course you mean through the door.
Speaker 5: Through the wall. Through the wall, sir, The door was in front of me, but doctor Grove stepped into myself through the solid metal wall.
Speaker 6: You realize that what you're saying is impossible.
Speaker 5: To us, it is to them. Nothing is impossible nothing. That's why we must act, and act now before it's too late. You must believe me, sir. This is man's last chance.
Speaker 6: I'll do my best. Perhaps you'd better continue now this doctor Grove stepped through the wall.
Speaker 5: Yes, as I'll tell the rest as quickly as I can. I can see that you don't believe me. But someone must somewhere, Sometimes someone must.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 5: As I said, doctor Grove stepped into myself through the wall. Suddenly my panic ended. I looked at him now with awe. We talked not as man to man, but as man to a lesser creature me.
Speaker 7: You must not be frightened, Lieutenant. You do not understand how I passed through a wall which to you seemed solid and not understanding you feel it. But yet there is nothing supernatural or fearful about what I did. Any of us can do it it will. You see, there is no such thing as as solid in this world of relativity. We know that there is plenty of room for the molecules of our bodies to pass between the molecules of those walls. We simply make a necessary mental adjustment and walk where we will. It is an ability as basic to us as breathing. To a person like you?
Speaker 5: What kind of men are you?
Speaker 7: You have been educated, Durer, studied Darwin. You know the facts of evolution. You know how man has progressed through various stages from the primitive savagery of the Neanderthal man. Yes, obviously this process can and will continue. To suppose that the evolution of man is complete with you is a mistake of.
Speaker 5: Conceit human You are the next stage.
Speaker 7: Exactly. You have heard of the process of mutation? Perhaps how suddenly a white rose is produced of a family of red roses, and from then on produces only white descendants. Yes, so have we been evolved as mutants, infinitely superior to our parents and our fellow men, knowing by instinct right from birth what you must study years to learn. Your most difficult physics and mathematics, our A. B. C's, our studies far beyond your understanding.
Speaker 5: Are there many of you?
Speaker 7: Yes, you see. The process has been going on for many years. Hundreds thousands more come to us every year from all over the world, drawn here by telepathic message, where we have isolation to study, learn, build, prepare ourselves, prepare, prepare for what for the task ahead? Obviously, when we are ready, when we are numerous enough to fill all the necessary positions, our superior intelligence must shape.
Speaker 5: A new world, take over the world. Obviously, and you will destroy man. How little you understand us? Do you destroy the animals of the field, because they are not yours, intellectual peers.
Speaker 7: Our obligation is to keep and protect you, to act as your friendly guardians in a world which will be strange to you and frightening, as my walking through the wall was frightening to you.
Speaker 5: I see, yes, I see. Then what is your plan?
Speaker 7: Rather say Nature's plan? And the answer to that lives in history. What became of the anthropoids, the cave men?
Speaker 5: They died out, Civilization passed them by, They fell before the on rush of higher forms of life.
Speaker 7: Even so, even so, but I give you our plagelet we will be kind, We will be kind.
Speaker 5: And then he took me out into that great underground city, through its corridors and great halls and laboratories and shops, took me among the thousands of his fellow men. There I saw marvels of which I could talk for hours. There were, but they would be beyond your comprehension, as they were beyond mine. You wouldn't believe me, and so I won't bother to tell you. Then I met others like us, some two captive cattle people who had stumbled under this island as I had. There were famous names, among them, a famous author whose ship disappeared in the Pacific years ago, a big game hunter, a famous aviatrix for whom a dozen fleets had sought in vain. All of us prisoners, we were treated with great kindness, made comfortable, relatively happy. We were their pets, you see, their dumb animal pets. For over three years I stayed there. After a while, I ceased to struggle, even in my mind. I was defeated, and so I succumbed to the peaceful Bucolic existence. That was my fate, at least, at least that's what I thought. Then came that last day Doctor Grove had made me his special pet. I was allowed to follow him about it at work, to talk to him at length, and on this day he confided in me even more than usual.
Speaker 7: Well, Lieutenant, it has been a pleasant day.
Speaker 5: Yes, doctor, Am I to go now?
Speaker 7: Not for a moment. Ah, Yes, I shall miss having you with me when I am gone.
Speaker 5: Gone.
Speaker 7: You're going away, sir, yes, very soon. But where out out into the world where you once lived? But why oh, there are many, very many of us there already, in strategic places of course, an important politician here, an industrial magnet there, a famous author whose words are gospel to his readers. I will have my place, an important one.
Speaker 5: But I didn't know. You didn't tell me that it's already begun.
Speaker 7: Oh, yes, definitely. The hour is close at hand.
Speaker 5: And then all of us, the whole.
Speaker 7: World, Lieutenant, you know us now, you know that we will be kind? Kind?
Speaker 5: Yes, kind. Suddenly all the anger that was in me welled up. I didn't want to be a dumb animal or pet for some superior being to be kind too. I didn't want that for my loved ones, my friends, my fellow men. That night at dinner when they fed the prisoners in a big communal hall. I got a chance to talk to Kavanaugh, my old radio man. He listened and then shrugged hopelessly. They all succeed, Jo, You know that, no, not if the world could be warned, I don't know.
Speaker 6: Maybe it wouldn't make any difference.
Speaker 7: Besides, how could they be worn.
Speaker 5: If somebody could get away from here?
Speaker 7: Escape?
Speaker 5: That's impossible. I know that's what I thought. But listen, I've got an idea. There's one chink in their invincibility. What their gentleness, their kindness. They can't bear to hurt anyone. None of their weapons kill, but only only parallel temporarily. And they simply cannot conceive of treachery.
Speaker 7: What are you driving at this?
Speaker 5: I'm going to play on doctor Grove's liking for me, his kindness, and I'm going to trick him how Tomorrow I'll ask him to take me up above back to the plane to get pictures of my father and sister. Tell him I'm lonesome, suffering. He'll do it. I'm sure he will. It's very kind of you, doctor Grove, to do this for me.
Speaker 7: Oh not at all, Lieutenant, I understand your feeling.
Speaker 5: With you leaving, i'd have no one, no one close. The pictures will make me feel a lot better.
Speaker 7: I only hope they're still here. Plaine is partially demolished by the weather as you can see.
Speaker 5: Oh, they'll be there. They were in the map compartment. They'd be out of the weather. Eh, here you are, Grove, look over there. Well, sorry, doctor, but I had to do it. I hope I didn't kill him. He had been kind, but I hit him hard. Then I broke out a life raft from the rotting plane. I was almost afraid to look at it, but it was okay, even complete with supplies four years old. I ripped the valve and threw it into the water. In five minutes, I was out beyond the breakers. I don't know how many days or weeks it was before they picked me up, but it was a long time, and I was more dead than alive.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, lieutenant, you were in bad shape. It was a horrible experience.
Speaker 5: But you see, it doesn't matter about me. It's the others that you don't believe me either, do you.
Speaker 6: Well, Lieutenant, It's it's been a pleasure to listen to your story. I'll make a report to my superiors. Please be patient and try.
Speaker 7: Not to worry.
Speaker 5: Try not to worry.
Speaker 6: Good day, Lieutenant, get out, get out, sir?
Speaker 7: Are there, Commander Gorum? You talked to him. What's a verdict?
Speaker 6: A clear case of persecution? Menia an amazing for him. I've never heard a tale more complete and logical.
Speaker 7: Nice I know what you mean.
Speaker 6: Well, do what you can for him. I'm afraid he's going to be here for a long time, perhaps for as long as he lives. Turned loose, he might be dangerous. That's too bad.
Speaker 7: Nice boy too floating for four weeks on a life raft and heaven knows what before that sure does things to a man. Well, doctor, how about lunch?
Speaker 6: No, no thanks, I've got to run along. I have to turn in my report and recommendation on this case.
Speaker 7: Oh of course, Well, I see you later.
Speaker 6: I watched the man disappear down the hall. I stood there for a moment, lost in thought, seeing the face of that.
Speaker 7: Boy in there.
Speaker 6: It was hard to know how best to be kind to a boy like that, but I aroused myself. I had much to do, so much. If I went down through the lobby of the hospital, some fool would surely delay me. Get me into a long winded discussion, and I didn't feel a bit like talking. I wanted to get out of this place and forward my report, my report that this Brady case was closed, that there'd be no more trouble from this source. My car was just outside on the street. There was no one in sight in the corridor, so I turned and quietly walked through the wall.
Speaker 3: Escape is produced and directed by Norman McDonald. Today we have presented transcribed Conquerors Isle by Nelson Bond, adapted for radio by John Duncle starred as Lieutenant Brady, was David Ella's as Doctor Gorham, Ted Von Elks as Doctor Grove, Bill Johnstone. Featured players were Sam Edwards and Dick Benedict. The special music was arranged and played by Ivan dit Mars. Be sure and be with us again next week at the same time when we will bring you another great story of mystery and intrigue by one of the world's outstanding authors of high adventure, as CBS again presents Escape. Ronnie and Benita are two names that are as familiar to Jack Benny fans as Mary, Phil Rochester, Dennis and Don And since Jack Benny has received thousands of letters asking that the Ronald Colemans be brought back soon. He's happy to present them as special guests on his program this Sunday. Hear the Jack Benny program on the same cbs AA shtions tomorrow night. This is Roy Rowan speaking for CBAS, the Columbia Broadcasting System