Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Game Informer Show Everyone, a weekly podcast covering the video game industry. Join us every Friday for discussion of the latest gaming news, reviews, and exclusive reveals, alongside Game and Former staff and special guests from around the industry. I'm one of your hosts today Alex van Aiken, and today I'm joined by Charles Hart. How you doing Charles?
Speaker 2: Hello, doing really quick? And I'm doing really good? Then that was my Charles gamer done quick intro?
Speaker 1: Ah, Yes, Hello, Marcus Stewart, how are you y'all?
Speaker 3: I'd be here to sale the podcast sees.
Speaker 1: Also joining us is Eric van Allen, Hello, Hi, And rounding us out this week is Wesley LeBlanc. How you doing well?
Speaker 4: Hey, doing good? Excited to talk? Ocreen of Time.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, We're gonna be getting into our games done quick. We said we would acknowledge it. We're getting into our games done quick today? Are we visited games done quick?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Ockeren of Time, We're gonna Wess has played it for the first time in twenty years. You can't make that face what.
Speaker 3: He's uh.
Speaker 1: We're also gonna be getting into our Assassin's Creed Black Flagged Recinct impressions, talking about Don't Let It Starve, a Bento Box style roguelike where you're trying to make food for a monster that you're trapped in a room with, and finally rounding out the show, we'll talk about cat Mail Company, little new indie game that looks cool. But before we get into the bulk of the episode, I do just want to say please, if you haven't yet, go to Gaminformer dot com slash subscribe and consider picking up an issue, well, approximately ten issues, because that's what comes to the subscription, a year of our physical video game magazine that's delivered to your mailbox. Like I said, ten issues a year, Gaminformer dot com slash subscribe, And if you don't, if you don't live in the US, or you don't want to get a subscription but you still want to check the magazine out, you can find us on newsstands across the world. If you're in the States, you can find us at Barnes and Noble Books a Million. If you're in Canada, you can find us at Chapters or Indigo. If you're in the in UK, I believe, can go to tg Jones And we've got even more things that are always kind of coming online with that. So if you see us in your local newsstand at the magazine section, please let us know. You can email us podcast at gamiforma dot com or reach out to us on social media with a photo of you holding your beautiful game informer magazine. We usually repost those. We love seeing those, and just a big thank you. If you've already done that, I know we get a lot. We put a lot of attention on trying to get new people to sign up for our magazine, but if you're here, you might be one of the people who just renewed for their second year since we came back. Thank you for being here, Thank you for supporting us. And if you haven't done any of those things and you just listen to the podcast every week, you mean a lot to us as well. Thank you for being here and listening to us and being part of our community. With that said, guys, let's get into the show proper. Eric and I, we've been We're in Minneapolis, that's where we reside, which is where summer Games Done Quick usually takes place, and this year's no different. Eric and I and friend of the show John Carson, we went down to ye Old Hilton in downtown Minneapolis to check out Summer Games Done Quick on the first day. I don't know, Eric, if you have been back. It's of course it runs for a whole week, but it's the world's biggest speed running event Games Done Quick. They have two sort of primary versions that play out during the year, and I think they are also like popping up at their packs is now they're at I think Games Calm, but Summer Games I'm Quick is one of their like flagship events. I know there were some world records set this week on things like UFO fifty. I believe we saw when we first went. Eric and I saw, Actually I want to hear Eric's perspective because this is his first Summer Games I'm Quick in person. And Eric, you've been watching this show for like fifteen years.
Speaker 5: Jon's yeah, yeah, yeah. I think even before a lot of my games media aspirations or anything started, this was still something I would tune into because it's just a really cool event. They do stuff for charity. They always raise money for charity. They show off really cool strats and ways of playing games at a rapid pace or in interesting challenges or ways of doing things even just showcase high level gameplay in games you wouldn't normally expect to see them in some of the rhythm games and stuff that they've been doing recently. The showcases have been really exciting to watch, showing off TAZ stuff, which is tool assisted speed run, so you're using you're literally programming a computer to play a game arguably better than a human theoretically could, and then seeing what you can do when you take the human part of the equation out and start implementing things that only a program could accomplish. It's a really incredible event that that runs twenty four hours a day for an entire week, and yeah, this is my first time seeing it in person. So when we went on Sunday, which was the kickoff day, I knew obviously I wanted to get in.
Speaker 3: I want to see a.
Speaker 5: Run, and we lucked out with our timing because the run that we showed up as it was starting as we got there, Fire Emblem three houses. They did the Blue Lions route. Fire Emblem my favorite series and I really love watching Fire Emblem runs, So getting to see kind of the closing half hour of that runs as we got in and got settled was really awesome, and I think all of.
Speaker 1: That was veriddy.
Speaker 3: I was, I was electric.
Speaker 5: I was just excited to be there because I think the if you watch it on stream, you kind of see a very contained part of what that thing is. And I would say something that impressed me about Games Done Quick is that it is so centered on the streaming and the stream room and the charity event as like the focus of what everything orbits around it is all about that. But you know, I was wondering, Okay, so who shows up to this then to watch a stream in a ballroom for an entire week?
Speaker 3: And what do you do there?
Speaker 5: And the answer is that you could absolutely go watch a stream in a ballroom for an entire week, But there's so many things that are happening around and outside it. There's an entire artist's alley where they have a ton of local artists were there on the day that we were there, showing their wares, talking to people. They have an arcade that is just open twenty four to seven with tons of arcade machines, I mean pinball machines, some candy cabs with some fighting games on them. You have like the big rhythm games, the ones that look like the laundry machines were in there and stuff like that. Some DDR machines and stuff just always open, always available, free play.
Speaker 3: Go down there.
Speaker 5: There's a music room that just has music equipment in it. You can bring your guitars, your keyboards, your drums or whatever and just set up and play in there as like a jam session area. Yeah, there are panels that happen and there.
Speaker 1: Are people in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, there are panels ring what's like.
Speaker 2: Other Sorry that feels out of place to me, right, was it not weird?
Speaker 3: That's what that.
Speaker 1: There's just like a gam These events are as usually a big like especially like video game music and like places like MAGFest and that kind of Yeah, usually like a big music scene as well.
Speaker 3: I mean it's really cool.
Speaker 5: It's just part of all of it because I think it emphasizes that, you know, there's there's a board game area, there's there's places to do magic. We're probably going to do a magic draft in a couple of days down there as well, and like probably signed I'm going, yeah, okay, we've put the money in, we are going to do it. But uh, it is it is a community. It is a group that definitely has speed running at the center of it as the sort of thing that all of this orbits around. But you don't have to be a speed runner to go to games done Quick. You don't have to be somebody who is competitive or plays the most recent games or plays like the top speed running games. You have to be like a super metroid competitive, top one hundred liter board runner or anything like that. This is a place where people have a common vested interest in the cool things that GDQ does, and the community that is around it a very inclusive community, a very diverse community that has just a very open door for anybody who is just interested and wants to do something cool and do something awesome. And I think that was something that I really enjoyed as somebody who's gone to a lot of different convention experiences over the years, ranging from E three to packs to stuff like the PlayStation Experience and all that. A lot of those, you know, even stuff like EVO and the International for DODA, all of them are cool, but they kind of have a like there is going to be some degree of focus on the industry, on the product, on the thing at the center, you know. I think the one I kept thinking of as I was there was. I went to one of the open weekend Overwatch League matches back in the day and it was cool, but I kept thinking, the only thing you can really do here is show up, watch some Overwatch by some merch leave and GDQ feels so much more focused on we want to support a community here. We want to build and foster a community. We want this to be a place that people can gather meet like minded individuals. There were people just hanging out talking in different parts of the hotel, going between places. I love that they said that in the rooms in the hotel they just have a feed, So if you are staying in the hotel for GDQ, you don't even have to go through Okay, I got to figure out like YouTube on the TV and stuff like that and get that there's just a feed broadcasting to all the hotel rooms that is live, and so a lot of the people working the show can know that. So that way they know, like, oh, I have to I can take a nap in my room real quick and then wake up and you know, halfway through this run, I know I need to get back down there from a next shift or whatever.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 5: It's it's just such a cool experience and it just runs. There's there's so much that feels like like a clockwork machine of production and things moving behind the scenes and then front facing, all these community aspects that just make it. It's a wonderful experience. I really think if you watch GDQ, if you enjoy watching these streams, I've been fully went over to the side that you should. You should take some time someday to come out to one of these. They're pretty incredible. Were there any other you mentioned? Were there any other speed runs that you guys saw that most impressed yours was heyp We spent most of Sunday, the one day that we've been so far, just doing the stuff that was around the side, doing stuff in the side rooms, the community stuff and all that.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 1: I am your Beast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we did watch some.
Speaker 5: Of Your Beast as well, which had Zolivir the developer, like sitting in on the call, which is pretty fun. Today I'm specifically heading down there because I want to see the there's a Mario and Luigi brotherhood, like like a Kaiso thing that has been made. I love Mario Kaiso run Kaiso is super difficult Mario, like like taking Mario mechanics to their furthest end really really mechanically precise platforming that that demands a lot of the player but turns into a really fun challenge thing. If you've ever watched like high level Mario Maker levels, you kind of have an idea of what Kaizo usually looks like. But there's a Kaiso run followed by a WEE Sports speed run and I I can't miss that. I gotta see we Sports get speed run. That sounds great. Speed run we Sports, like you just go through each.
Speaker 1: Game, you just roll the ball and belt really quickly.
Speaker 3: There's there's probably some twist to it, for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of looking at a GDQ schedule and just being like, I don't know how they could speed run this, and every time I tune in, I'm like, oh, that's how they figured. Like maybe it's like, oh, we got to get like, you know, perfect metals on five games as fast as possible, right, And it's always like it starts as soon as the cursor reappears after the loading screen, because that's when the input starts.
Speaker 3: Like, it's always always very specific.
Speaker 5: When I was some of my favorite runs have been some of like the there's been a lot of randomizers getting added now of things where games are so not necessarily completely solved but understood by the community so well that now you add in these factors of Okay, well, now you're going to get power ups, but you're going to get them out of order. So when you open this treasure chest that would normally maybe give you a key or you know, an important item like the hook shot and a Zelda game or something like that, it's just going to randomly give you an item that could come out of a treasure chest, so you could just get rupees instead. And you're like, okay, well I don't have the hook shot that I need to proceed, So what am I going to do now? How do I rout myself differently? And there's some randomizer runs this week. I also love bingo battles. I don't know if there are any of those this week, because a bingo battle is you literally have a bingo board of things that you can do in a game. They're really popular fronts from soft style games like Elder stuff like that sounds familiar, yeah, And and so it'll say like you have to kill a boss with a certain weapon or you have to go beat this boss like beat Millennia or something like that, and that's one of the bingo spaces, and you are trying to get a bingo, but only one person can claim each space, so there's kind of like a fight happening where you're trying to get your own bingo and lock out somebody else's bingo as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm I'm excited to go back this week. I that Mario Kaizo run sounds fun.
Speaker 3: I seen those.
Speaker 1: I've never seen one of those in person, watch it online and I think it was like one of the Mario maker Kaiso runs. Yes, and the energy just even like hanging out in discord of friends watching those things is really tangible and so I can't imagine what it's gonna be like in person.
Speaker 4: I want to.
Speaker 3: I want to try to check that out.
Speaker 5: And they support Incredible Causes a GDQ which is the one that happens in the winter Awesome Games Done Quick, which is kind of the original. The base one supports the Prevent Cancer Foundation. This one in the summer SGDQ supports UH Doctors Without Borders, which is I think just it's it's an amazing cause and amazing charity. And when I went there, they had a bunch of signage up people like reps hanging out who were happy to talk about MSF. The actual name is Medicines Soun's Frontiers, but happy to talk about Doctors without Borders. And they also apparently have a collab going with One Piece, So they have Tony Tony Chopper out there in like a cardboard cutout holding a flag, and it's like Tony Tony Choppers supports Doctors without Borders, and I'm like, that's awesome. That's my goat, right there is Tony Tony Chopper West.
Speaker 1: I know you're a big pirate. Are you a one Piece guy?
Speaker 4: I have slowly watched some of One Piece, but it is just such a garganguine task that I'm assuming I'm just gonna be watching it the rest of my life. I'm or, is what the pirate guy?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I don't know what makes you say that they're cool? Okay, cool?
Speaker 4: I mean the second I mean, Pirates of the Caribbean. Dead Man's Chest came out on my birthday, which is pretty cool. But yeah, I mean, you know, Nights Ninjas Pirates, some cowboys. I like all that kind of stuff. I gause pirates are cool too, you're.
Speaker 3: Like the four Pillars of fiction and stories. There were definitely more four things from the nineties that list.
Speaker 1: Well, Wes, I do want to go ahead and throw it over to you. You've been playing a game that a lot of us have played, but it's your first replay in twenty years.
Speaker 3: I've actually never beaten this game. Don't tell Yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 1: You've been playing Akarina of Time. Well, I never had money as a kid to buy games. We had only afford to rent it, and I wasn't smart enough to beat to beat Akorina of Time in like two days or whatever the rental was, so I would just restart it every time.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's an intelligence thing. I don't. I just that just is not enough time to Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I used to try to, Like I was like when you first meet Epona. I like was convinced I could get her off the farm while she was a child horse. So I would just waste like, you know, two hours of my rental trying to you know, escape things.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I watched and they beat Operative Time in like twenty minutes, so I don't really know. Yeah, yeah, but you went back to Okarina. I want to know why, how you enjoyed it, and more importantly, what you played it on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so why. I'd been kind of like toying with the idea of playing one, and then the Oquerreina of Time remake got announced and people were like theory crafting and talking about this or that, and I was like, I don't know what. I don't know anything they're talking about, Like, I don't know this game anymore, really, like it's just a game that I'm like, Yeah, I played as a kid and it's you know, one of the goats, but I don't actually have knowledge of it anymore. So I was like, I want to go back and refresh myself on that. Another part of the reason why I wanted to replay is because I have an ain Thor device, a y n Thor. I don't know what the help people were saying it, so I use a realm of legend Elda ochrena Time three D that I own, and I programmed it into my Thor. Legally, I owned that rom and I downloaded a four K texture pack community made was not did not cost any money, so it was like a super beautiful way to play this classic game.
Speaker 3: There's also a playing remake. You said, right, yes, yeah.
Speaker 4: The a Y and Thor device is a Android based three DS device basically Kyle two O lead screens. Yeah, yes, yes, yeah. Weirdly, me and Kyle DM on Blue Sky exclusively to talk about Thor. I don't know why, Like we don't talk in slack, we don't do anything. It's just for some reason. The Blue Sky DMS is where that happens. So, yes, he is a Thor owner. Love the device. I constantly sing its praises. It's expensive, but it's has been worth it for me so far. And yeah, so I was like, this would be a perfect game to play on the Thor, and so I it up and now like surprisingly, like thirty two hours later, I have the nock gre enough time and it's kind of weird. I have issues with it now, I have, Like in twenty twenty six, I'm like, yo, they I'm more excited for the remake, I should say, because I am hoping this is like a capcom style remake and not what we just saw with Starfox. I don't think that's going to be the case. I do think it's just gonna be a one to one with prettier graphics. But I think that Ock Green of Time could use a lot of recontextualization and like reimagining in the vein of something Capcom would do with Resident Evil. I don't know if this needs to go like Square Nix Final Fantasy remake style, but I do think that making it more modern and analyzing what maybe isn't working all these years later, and like fixing it or changing it to feel better in twenty twenty six would be really smart, because frankly, there's some dungeons that I mean, honest, there's a lot that is just not as.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna ask like, what are your what are your specific qualms? What do you think specifically doesn't necessarily work?
Speaker 4: I think the most immediate thing is the combat is I mean, you know, it's a thirty year old game or whatever, and or is it older than that. I might be older than that. I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's a old of the data.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it's it's okay, so.
Speaker 4: Yeah ish, So it's you know, it is a product of its time in a way. But that doesn't mean I can't like judge it in twenty twenty six through my twenty twenty six eyes, Like the combat is basic and born, I'm doing it.
Speaker 3: I'm doing it.
Speaker 4: I'm doing it, stomping on them. Yeah, I am. Actually, that was like kind of my goal going into this was I really wanted to like remove the nostalgia and the like just saying it's the greatest game of all time, because that's what you say, and that's what you've been saying for three I wanted to analyze that. I don't either. That's Funnel Fantasy thirteen obviously, but uh.
Speaker 1: Deeply serious person West West stressed up for this. He's he's looking. Yeah, he's got his okerina. Yes, that's outfit shaved.
Speaker 4: This is why I'm only on the podcast like every eight weeks.
Speaker 3: They only.
Speaker 4: But no, the combat immediately is just so boring and it doesn't go anywhere, Like there's no growth in the combat. And yes, you get more tools, but ultimately you don't need those tools to get through Ockerina of time. And like Gin's fire for example, there's like two spots where that's required. That's your magic spell that does like a big fireball, but ultimately it has an annoyingly long like little mini animation that plays when you do it. It takes a lot of magic and like just pressing BE to attack these people with your sword is ten times faster. Like there's no there's a lot of tools, but there's nothing in the game that's like saying, use these tools to get through combat encounters, like ultimately, just press B and you're just you're fine.
Speaker 5: I feel like I forget that magic is even in that game, because other Zelda games definitely have magic more front facing, and in that game, I remember using it, like you said, maybe a couple of times for each one of the spells you get or whatever, you get one for each of the three. I forget what they they are the elemental yeah, not the stages. Sages are different because the stages are the people who are like in charge of the difference, because there's like the Sage of Time right in the stage of the Forest and all that who's it's it's red, Green, Blue, it's r GB whatever at those three and yeah, yeah, I think you get a spell for each of them, and I cannot remember what they do or why the.
Speaker 2: Greens nless you teleport back like a shield, yes, and the dense fire is an attack right, Yeah, so I think I only ever used the teleport one unless like this story made you use a different one at some point.
Speaker 4: The teleport one is probably most helpful. I will say something really cool about the thores. You can do like safe states. So that was my method for you know, traversing around faster and kind of made the Green Magic useless. But like the combat is, I don't want to say it's like bad, It's not bad, it's just it's aged. Like if if the combat doesn't, if it get changed for twenty twenty six, it will be a very boring game. I think because combat has advanced a lot in three decades, and even Zelda itself has advanced a lot. I think that's probably my biggest takeaway is like how far Zelda has come from Acarina. And I'm not sure if Akarina is like it doesn't sit on the podium as the best Zelda game for me personally, and I kind of knew that going in, Like I had a feeling the Wild was still my number one, but like it has a lot to learn from Zelden. I really hope Nintendo does look at what it's done since Ocarina to adjust Ocarina dungeon design. I mean the water temple obviously is you know, people, that's the one people go to and like it is still very the most frustrating of the dungeons to go through as an adult, it was a little bit easier.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the three D s version is a little more uh. It kind of gives you more signs of what to do. The original version is just like screw you figured out, well.
Speaker 3: You also have to keep going in and out of your menu to equip the iron boots. The three D version that was just on in the touch Oh.
Speaker 4: My god, I didn't even think about that. Yeah, that's something they got to do with this switch to remake is a single screen.
Speaker 5: Oh wow, that plays as the menu pans from side, Like, that's just lodging.
Speaker 3: I just make that a week, you know, just make that an item.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they'll probably will do something.
Speaker 3: You know, they're going to be like hold the R button and.
Speaker 4: Have it and they'll scroll through or thirty items.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the way they have all the ruins.
Speaker 4: But yeah, even like some of the other temples, I will say, the Temple of Time is still a blast. The Temple of what's the for the Forest Temple, I don't know the official name for it, but the Forest Temple.
Speaker 3: Temple of Time is not a dungeon.
Speaker 4: No, it's not a temple of Time is the I should have written all this stuff down, I was. I played a lot while watching TV in theah. Was the first spirit temple is?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: The one I'm thinking of is the second to last one. If you don't if Gannon's Castle is the last dungeon, it's the one before that with the in the desert, that is the Spirit Temple. Yeah, okay, okay, yes, Spirit Temple still rules. First Temple in the forest still rules. Of the other temples. They need a lot of work. In my opinion, it's not like this is a bad game. It's just I think playing Okarina really showed its age, like it has completely aged. Every aspect of it has aged, even I don't know now, I'm just kind of dog in the game.
Speaker 3: But like I don't even know.
Speaker 4: I don't even know why Gannon is like such a big, like big deal because of this game I played, Like Gannon's in like a cut scene he steals Zelda and then he shows up and you're like, this is.
Speaker 3: The worst guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, yes, yes, and yeah the comments are going to be brutal on this one. And he's just like Wes what were you saying?
Speaker 3: You were saying the soundtracks sucks.
Speaker 4: Also, soundtrack still rip, soundtrack still rips.
Speaker 3: Ye.
Speaker 4: Yes, I will say the Ocarina is very annoying to work with and do and saying I'm telling you, I'm telling you you have to.
Speaker 3: It's just it's cool. It's cool the first time.
Speaker 4: It's cool the first time, it's cool the second time, maybe the third time. But like it gets boring quick and it's silly, and I'm like, and I get that. There was like this childlike excitement and joy that comes with getting a new game and learning all these things. Like I was, yes, it needs I need.
Speaker 1: Baby on subway surfers on the top screen.
Speaker 3: Yes. Only more offensive thing you could say is actually he's not so bad. I don't know why people were.
Speaker 4: That's actually one of the points I have to make.
Speaker 5: What West had Zelda on the top screen of the A Y N or subway surfers on the bottom screen, and then was watching Family Guy.
Speaker 2: It's my favorite. I also feel like I want to mention Wes volunteered to talk.
Speaker 1: About beats up. Just go for it, like nobody forced this out of him.
Speaker 4: I'm happy to do. So here's the thing we got. People just say his games the greatest of all time, and then they haven't played it since they were a child, and they just stick by it. And I'm here to come and break those expectations and shatter those dreams. Like, I think there's a lot of good that can be done by going back and playing the games you think are your favorite games of all time, and like actually analyzing and figuring out if it still works in twenty twenty six. And I think Ocarina still definitely works in twenty twenty six, But like, is it anywhere near as great as that I thought it once was? No, I don't think so at all. And I think it's maybe I'm more excited for the remake because it could resurrect what Ocarina once was for me, But like, if it's a one to one of what I just played, then I don't know. Okarina has fallen great heights from the sky islands of Tiers of the Kingdom and.
Speaker 1: Hey, you remember a blue sky like a month ago? When you're like, we should people should tell me when I'm dumb more often, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 4: Wow, That's what I'm out here trying to do that For some reason.
Speaker 3: I mean, I feel like everything you're saying West is probably what I g im he is.
Speaker 1: That's the guy who's never made it past de Tree, like Gum was playing revisiting this game and going through the same process in his mind, like, man, everything is garbage.
Speaker 3: What were we thinking back then? This is so much better garbagemaking game going, guys, We need to get this going, like Jesus.
Speaker 4: I mean, remaking a game is and and is in essence admitting that, like there is work you could do. Obviously, they remake games because of business and because of marketing.
Speaker 3: There's that is.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I think remaking is it is a chance for developers to their works.
Speaker 3: I think it's both.
Speaker 5: It is, but like nobody is going back and remaking very very few people are going back and remaking bad games, like ten years from now. I don't think we're getting more of the Rings Gollum remake like that.
Speaker 3: I think that's happened.
Speaker 4: No, No, you made you you make a remake because you already know that the name is going to sell millions of copies alone. But I think there are developers out there who do shoeing remakes, and I think they're developers out there who put a lot of work into like, uh, taking a new look at what they have previously done and changing and adjusting and seeing what they can do different and new. Like there are good remakes and bad remakes for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so are you a Majora's Mask guy? I do?
Speaker 4: I do? I do remember liking Majors Mask more than Akarina. That's probably next on my list.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got to catch.
Speaker 4: I don't know, It's not what I think about often. I'm not like the biggest Zelda guy in the world. Like, this is just me doing some homework ahead of the remake. When was the last time you guys have played Acarina? Like, or where do you guys even hold Akarina?
Speaker 5: And you're middle middle of the pack for me, Like my my favorites are like Links Awakening and Breath of the Wild, Like those two are kind of up there in the stratosphere. And I've never played majoras though I think I would probably like it. But like Okerina, I think, even when I was younger, was always kind of middle of the pack for me because I thought it was a really cool game and it has really cool moments I love. Like, yeah, like we said, the music. I think the atmosphere, especially as adult link, gets really cool and there's some cool stuff they do with that. But I'm also of the opinion that I don't know why we're doing this remake when Ocarina is. I mean, I mean, to your point, there might be things that have aged about it, but it's a very accessible game nowadays. It's very easy to go play Okerina of Time right now, so it feels that it is a little superfluous as a remake to like I can just go play the original, So they would have to do something that's pretty radical to this game to make me feel like a remake was not just trying to cash in on the Zelda name.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm I'm you know, we're having fun making funny of view Wes, but like I'm in a similar boat where you where, Like I'm kind of in the middle of Like I played Okering in this day. I remember when it came out, but I did not grow up in an N sixty four, so I only ever played at friend's houses. I was a PlayStation kid at that that generation, so I only ever my memories of playing it innsday are largely that opening Cacareco Village section, because I just didn't have enough time to like dig into the game when you're just over there for like an hour or whatever. And I didn't play it from start to finish until I was in college, and it was the original in sixty four version too, so I had this sort of more like academic appreciation for it. But by that point I already beaten modern three D z eldas like Twilight Princess and Scotland Story by that point and other two D zelda, so it was more like, Okay, I can finally go back and play the one that I touched but everyone like loves and finish it and go, oh, yeah that was cool. I still had fun with this, but kind of like being like, yeah, this is you know, this is of its age. And that was when the game was I think the series was probably approaching his twentieth anniversary at that point, so you know, I can't imagine playing the original ver or I guess you played the three DS version playing it now, So it's like in the maybe middle of the package, just because I just don't have the nostalgia for it, but I can still appreciate it, so I'm amaged it in the remake because it's old enough to if they wanted to do a larger overhaul besides a graphical improvement, I would actually really like to see that because I think the game is great, great in terms of like the story, the structure, the dungeons and stuff like. There's a lot of great stuff there that I would love to see spruced up in like a modernized way. So I'm actually really excited for The Ockerring to remake, and I have not I've only ever beaten a game once, and I was the College Run, so my memory of it isn't as strong as other people's, so it'll be sort of like semi fresh for me in some way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think there will be a lot of Oh, sorry, Charles.
Speaker 3: You can go ahead.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, I weirdly do have a lot of installser for this game. It's uncharacteristic for a game of this age because I played it on the we virtual console as like a ten year old. This was like the first Zelda game that I like really actually played, so you actually, like you were ten, you were able to kind of I was the correct age. And I think that's like if if you're like a parent and you're like, this game is really important to me in my childhood, and I want my kid to like it. I feel like the only chance you have of someone like really appreciating something old is literally playing it before they play the new stuff to like when you just don't have a sense of like quality of life stuff that.
Speaker 3: Could exist at the time.
Speaker 2: Everyone's always like we were playing a Star Fox sixty four on the Switch online with Marcus and Brian was like this looked so good back in the day, and I'm like.
Speaker 3: I can't I can't fathom. It's so ugly.
Speaker 2: It's clearly so so old, and it doesn't look like anything's happened. He's like, this intro' is iconic. I'm like four ships kind of.
Speaker 3: Floating in there. He really was stopping on on Brian's this Alga glasses.
Speaker 2: I was, but it is a thing of like if it is literally the first thing you play like, it's a it's a good game in a void, and that's why people like it at the time. But if you played, if you played like my fiance is a much newer gamer. She's played Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom, I can't imagine her having patients for original opera of time.
Speaker 5: There there is stuff that has aged better than you think it has. Like I played Chrono Trigger for the first time a couple of years ago, and Chrono Trigger holds up crazy well, like in ways that I was sitting there going they did this on a Super Nintendo that's insane. I do think it might be in that weird era of they are jumping to three D animation, they're jumping to polygons and things like that, that things just kind of changed and there's kind of a weird you see the age a little bit more, you see the cracks a little bit more.
Speaker 3: I mean that generation in general, like that PS one is sixty four generation, the first three D generation. That is by far the hardest generation to go back to for those exact reasons. It's when everyone was still figuring out how we make worlds in a three D space? How do we make characters move around? What do camera? What are camera controls? Yeah? Camera controls are a huge one. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Ultimately, like to echo what you guys are saying, like Akarina, what still works in a Karina is the atmosphere is, the story is the tone, like is all the peripheral stuff happening, but hands on sticks like hands on a controller is where Akarina shows its age, not a surprise, and like that that was my biggest takeaway with it, was like, yeah, that these the the atmosphere still works like these the music obviously still hits, Like I still enjoyed the transformation from like young League to old link and our adult link and seeing that happen and seeing how high rules change.
Speaker 3: But like playing.
Speaker 4: The game, it was like a different experience, an eye opening experience where I was like, oh, there is still work to be done, Like there is work they can do in the remake to impress me. It doesn't A one to one would probably actually be disappointing. Like I do think that this remake is an opportunity to to make what once was is again. I don't even know if that just made sense, but like they have the opportunity to make what maybe that game felt like and played like to us before. We have all this knowledge that we have now fresh and real and new and modern again at night, and like that's what I hope, and it's like a part of the reason why I have been Like why I replayed it and have been analyzing it is because like I feel like the owkering of time remake reviews are already written, like I know what they're going to say. I know what so many of them are going to say. I know how so many how the game has touched so many lives, and how it's so important and how like this and that, and like for me, I don't know, I'm just not really interested in that review like I want to. I don't want review of your nostalgia. I want a review of like what this game is today. And in order for me to do that, not that I'm reviewing this game for g I necessarily I don't. We don't know who is. But like, in order for me to like go back and and and analyze what this remake is, I felt a need to like re experience that game in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, like jokes aside. I know I've been dogging on you this episode. I I think you bring up a lot of good points. And you know, I don't have as much of a horse in this race as I said.
Speaker 3: You literally couldn't. You couldn't get the horse, couldn't get the horse. I could.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I tried. I couldn't even enter the race, buddy. You know. The first three d Zelda I beat was Breath of the Wild. I have never played. I've never played Madroid's Mask. I've never played game one.
Speaker 5: I think you would like Twilight Princess. I don't know why, but something I have. My stepdad surprised this with a wi.
Speaker 1: During like all the Wee craze when I was in I guess like early years of high school or late middle school, doesn't matter. And I enjoyed it. I just I had. I didn't beat it. I didn't really get that far.
Speaker 3: And then do you tell me you never played one Waker either. I've never played when Worker, I've never played one.
Speaker 1: I would love to do a series where I played through them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but.
Speaker 1: We did that with Cold Yeah, Marcus and I also did. We played Minished Cap earlier this year. I was playing on my analog pocket and uh I had like I I think I mentioned in the video, like I have played two d Zelda was more than three d z Eldas, like I really like you know, uh, the the Oracle of like yeah, Links Awakening, Oracle Bajor like I played those as throughout the years. The one that I really liked was the three DS Between Worlds Link between the Worlds. That was really good. I played that when it came out, and then I went back to Minish Cap after only like kind of dabbling in it and really kind of what Eric was talking about Crono Trigger. There's some really neat moments in this game, like they did this on a GBA, like the I think it's the first dungeon when you have to roll the log. Yeah, and I remember being like this is on a this is wild And there's just there's a lot of the really cool moments in Minish Cap. Honestly, it's probably you know, apart from Breath of the Wild's my favorite, Zelda, I really really love Tears of the Kingdom, and then Minish Cap is probably like my has become maybe my third favorite so far.
Speaker 3: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: I really have enjoyed and I've I've continued playing it since we I'm probably at least halfway through the game. I planned a beat it this year, but yeah, you know, I would really love to go back, and you've kind of inspired me Wes to maybe pick up I've got the three DS copies now actually and actually, uh fan or friend of the show, I would say, uh, Crater, one of our community members. I met up with him and in person, he gifted me the three DS copy of Majora's Masks. So like, oh wow, oh no, I've gotta I've got to go out there, I've got to play that. I've got to play Akarina. So I think you kind of inspired me. This's like a good time to go back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've been replaying older like I've in this month. I've beaten Well in June, I beat Okarina of Time, I beat any Musha one on e Musha two. Like. It's it's been a slower period for new releases for me personally, so I've been like going back and replaying older games and it's just a really fascinating like it's just it's good to do. I feel like, especially I don't think, like, you know, if this isn't your job, you don't you don't necessarily need to do that. But I think it's smart to like go back and and plug holes in your gaming history and revisit your greats to see if they still hold up. And like, and I think one thing with any conversation like this, but especially the acrea of Time is like I think, criticizing something that someone holds so special in their life like feels like an attack on them. And it's just it's just not like it's my thoughts on Oqerina of Time are not saying what you thought as a child was wrong or what you think of the game now is wrong. It's just like for me, these are just how I feel. These are just the way. It's just it's just I replayed an old game, and sometimes old games feel old, and I'm I'm looking forward to this remake more now because of it, because I'm like, oh, there's there's room to improve for me, and that's awesome. And Hey, if you think Ockera of Time is the greatest game of all time and this remake is a one to one, then like, I'm very happy for you get a fancy remake of one of your favorite games of all time.
Speaker 3: Situation I can't lose.
Speaker 4: Well, Yeah, play old games, playing gold games is good, It's good for the soul.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, let's take a quick ad break. We'll come back. We're gonna talk about Assassin's Creed, Black Flag Recinct, Don't let It Starve, and cat Mail Company. We'll be right back right after this, Welcome back to the game Informer show. Everyone, it's time to get into ac Black Flag Recinct. Not a colon in that name, believe it or not. Wes and Charles, you both have been playing this. Of course many of us played the original. Shout out to that multiplayer, the Hide and Seek multiplayer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, black Flag also, I believe it's a captain Wes.
Speaker 1: Just Yeah, we can finally acknowledge the hat.
Speaker 3: What hat? I'm not wearing a hat.
Speaker 1: Oh that's the links Awakening hat. Yeah, Charles, I want to hear all about Black Flag Recinct. I want to kick it over to you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I love the original game. I've beat it at least twice, maybe three times. I'm I'm I'm a big Assassin's Creed fan. That was specifically is the era we were just I was talking in the break, I was like talking about old games, Assassin's Creed, Black Flag back in twenty thirteen, back when we were all in middle school?
Speaker 3: Am I right?
Speaker 2: And everyone looked at me weird?
Speaker 1: Yeah. But my first job after high school.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was in college.
Speaker 2: Yeah. My introduction to Assassin's Creed, weirdly was Assassin's Creed three me and West share like some favorite like weird little Assassin Creed games of like I really like Assassin's Creed three because it was the first.
Speaker 4: One a good game. It's a good game.
Speaker 2: So four was the first one that I got like when it came out, and at the time, I didn't love it because I wanted an Assassin game and it was very much a pirate game. And when I revisited it later, I think I realized more that it was an Assassin game in more ways than I had realized. And also I guess the kind of metric for like the amount of Assassin per game.
Speaker 3: Really got diluted over the years.
Speaker 2: They really were like yeah, I mean they don't really have hoods anymore. This is kind of the vibe. And this one is Edward Kenway, who is the grandfather of the main characters as his Creede three, but he's a pirate and he is a He was a normal guy who was in he was married and was like dissatisfied with his life and it is like I'm gonna go I'm gonna go be a pirate and I'm gonna be super rich and then everyone's gonna respect me.
Speaker 3: That was the midlife Crisis of the seventeen hundreds. Yeah, he's because you just career pivot into Piracy.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: I really found that.
Speaker 2: The thing on the replay that I found with this game that I really connected with is I just love that he he thinks so much that money's gonna solve his problems, and really what he just wants is to be free, and the life of a pirate really appeals to him because he's like, ah, there's money, and then he slowly realizes like, oh no, it's it's freedom. It's the not living under tyranny. It's doing what I want, and then realizes that's kind of what aligns with the Assassins. But the game itself, uh, recinc it looks really really good. I'm having fun with it. I'm like maybe seven or eight hours in right now. I have like minor nitpicks with it. Uh, the main one being these controls make me feel insane. I don't know if you feel this way, Wes. I don't know if it's like, is this similar.
Speaker 3: To what it's like in Shadows? Because I didn't play all that much of that game, I was gonna ask, is it using old school AC controls that original Black Flag did or is it more of.
Speaker 4: The modern stuff. It's it's so they got like, yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 2: So like in the in the in an Assassin's Creed game, that's like prior to like rig Yeah, if you hold the trigger, that's like your sprint slash parkore button. So if you're holding the trigger, then you're running and you're like climbing up stuff. Eventually they changed so that sprinting is like on the stick like normally enough if you hold X, I thinking PlayStation controller terms. If you hold X, then you just kind of ascend when.
Speaker 3: You move towards stuff. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The thing in this game driving me crazy is square is stealth. Square is crouch, which I feel like circle is always crouch or the right stick is always crouch, yes, but square in this one is stealth slash crouch. And so many times I will go to stealth and I'll press circle and I'll dodge backwards into a bush and everyone's like, hey, there's a guy dance it around to that bush. Or I'll try to click the stick to stealth and if I click the wrong stick, that's the sprint button. So I'll stand up and they're like, hey, there's a guy over that bush and then.
Speaker 3: Attack is the right bumper.
Speaker 2: But my instinct is to hits square, So I go into combat and then I crouched down and I'm doing that, And you can change the controls, but if you change a button, you.
Speaker 3: Have to change it in all of its functions. It's kind of like a weird thing.
Speaker 2: So like square is stealth, but it's also if you hold the trigger and press square, that's like one of the combat shortcuts, and that's something else. Anyways, that's like a mate. If you're playing this game for the first time or you haven't played the original real long time, it probably won't be all that big of a deal. You won't notice it. But as someone who is like very used to those older controls, it's throwing me.
Speaker 3: Off a lot.
Speaker 1: Also, yeah, stealth should always be on circle. Crowd should always be on circle on a controller, Yes, or stick click.
Speaker 3: In Square is universally an attack button for like any third person action game, right I. The one thing I did do is.
Speaker 2: The one like control shift I changed and stuck with, is you can go into the settings in combat and make it so when you go into combat you automatically lock onto the nearest person because that's how some of the older games were you kind of go into combat mode, and this one you have to click the stick. I made it so you automatically lock in on someone, which makes it easier for me to see them and easier to parry because the perry window in this game it's not like an Arkham style thing.
Speaker 3: It's it's much more timing base and it's a lot quicker.
Speaker 2: And that way you can just change clicking the stick to the eagle vision, where right now you have to hold the clicked stick for eagle vision now, and like, yeah, anyway you can talk about the rest of the game. That's like the one thing I was like on a podcasting plan about the controls.
Speaker 4: You controls are weird, but I very quickly after realizing they were weird, used brought out the duel sense edge and like mapped crouch and x onto the back buttons so I'm not having to move my hands in weird ways. Like everything feels a natural now. But to your point, a lot of people do not have back pedals on their controllers, and if you don't, the game is very odd. I it's like something that's happened over the past year. I would say souls likes are what really pushed me into back pedals, because I hate sprinting with like Circle.
Speaker 3: It shooters.
Speaker 5: For me, like having back pedals on a shooting game on a controller feels so much better than having to use face buttons.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I played Nine Souls and the heel was on the D pad and I change it to one of the back buttons because every time I went to go and move my thumb to do the heel, it was throwing me off.
Speaker 3: So I like switching the D pad to the shoulder button.
Speaker 4: It takes a lot of work to get used to to back pedals. It's taken me a very long time, but now they feel almost necessary.
Speaker 3: Battles to be clear paddles.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, yeah, I'm backpedaling on our pronunciation at back tattles.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, yes, precisely.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I love Assassin's Creed Black Flag. It's probably my favorite in the series. I don't know if it's like the best Assassin's Creed game, but it is the best video game in the series for my in my opinion. Kind Of alluding to Charles's point, is like back in the day, it was way more. It felt more like just a pirate adventure where they kind of shoehorned some of the Assassins Creed stuff in and playing Recinct, I'm about seven or eight hours in as well, like it still kind of feels that way, but I am happy about it because Black Flag sits, in my mind, is like the best pirate game ever. It's not. It is an assassin's Creed game, but like, when I'm thinking playing Black Flag, I just want to go be a pirate, and Recinc very smartly leans into that pirate aspect of Edward's life even more so now, like they have tuned a lot of the game to feel even more like in line with being a pirate game. Like drinking, for example, you can just drink around like you see loot and if it's a drink, it heals you, and that wasn't in the original game, and a pirate drinking just and healing makes sense, you know whatever. If you're does no, it does well. Actually they no, they actually used to drink. They used to mix water into their rum instead of just drinking straight water, because rum, you know, helps fight infections and disinfect and they didn't know that back then. They didn't realize they were using alcohol in adicinal way, but like it did help them. They they knew something was being fixed by alcohol, they just didn't understand the science behind it. So it kind of makes a little historical sense. Probably not, but that the sea battles they have like giant seed tornadoes, which I'm blanking on the word for there is a word for a tornado at sea, water.
Speaker 3: Spout, a hurricane, or a typhoon.
Speaker 4: Relatively, yeah, they have like water spouts. Now they have they have lightning strikes, and see like they have turned it into every sea battle becomes something you'd see in a movie, which is like it's way over the top and it's super kind of wild because I'm just trying to get some metal off this ship. But it's really cool to all of a sudden be like, there are seven water spouts surrounding me and I'm going to have to navigate in and around those makes.
Speaker 1: Zero terified me as a kid. I was always terrified that I would go to the ocean and get sucked up by a water spout.
Speaker 4: I feel like you'd have to be so so far off shore to see.
Speaker 3: Especially when you grew up out. I don't think it's much of a concern for you.
Speaker 1: I grew up in a tidewater region of Virginia, Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, still you're not you weren't in like never everybody can back off.
Speaker 4: Oh you can't take the heat. Can't take the heat. Huh. Get in the ocean and get sucked up by a water spout.
Speaker 3: Why don't you by the undercurrent by like the undertoe and stuff. I was like, that's a natural thing.
Speaker 1: To be afraid. You can look and see the currents.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, just stick your head underwater and look at the undertoe. It's fine.
Speaker 4: Anyways, they added pets in the game. Now I have a cat on my ship that's very pirate. Fan of that. No, you don't get to name the cat, but you can't pet it. I think there are other pets too. I just have a cat currently. Parents I'm looking at.
Speaker 3: I think, so does a cat. Hope so. But there's there's a guy who talks about pets, and he's like.
Speaker 2: There's dogs and cats. But I have always liked birds and I don't have a bird.
Speaker 3: It's like you have to have a bird. Crazy, Yeah, I would.
Speaker 5: I would think a cat wouldn't vibe with be on a boat at sea.
Speaker 3: You surprised, and they can.
Speaker 1: They have so many places to jump up and and crawl around, and they can. I think they can sharpen their claws in the wood of the ship.
Speaker 3: They're actual.
Speaker 4: Historically, cats were very prominent on ships, uh, mostly for the reason they would kill the rats on board, and the rats would carry plague. The rats would get through their food, so they would keep cats on board. Cats were like one of the only actual pets that historical pirates had. Parrots not super historical because they would usually fly off or parrots were worth so much money they could sell them, which is what a pirate would do. Monkeys for obvious reasons, not really a pet. Dogs did not survive at sea as well. But cats were very common on just all ships at that age. But I liked that they included that in Assassin's Great and obviously more sea shantys more, you know.
Speaker 3: It's just how are the new sea chanties? Are there any bangers in there?
Speaker 4: There is one that some might call a banger, the Wellerman very famous on TikTok.
Speaker 3: That is that one in there? That is it?
Speaker 1: That one.
Speaker 2: That was probably I don't know actually every sea shame know, there's one on TikTok whenever they passed through what's that the Drake's.
Speaker 1: Passage, Uh, where they passed through it it's like huge high. There's always videos of ships that of like that is.
Speaker 4: That that isyster colors? That's a very that's a that's a real pirate chanty that is uh it's it kicks off the start of Pirates of the Caribbean at World's End And it isn't This game, the one I'm talking about is like the one it was popular on TikTok years ago. It was like a bunch of dudes.
Speaker 3: With something something something. I was always partial to the what was it, Danny Riley? It was like about a guy get this name? Yeah, that was my favorite, Billy Riley, Billy Riley. I think it was Billy right. I remember there was a three I went to where a bunch of U at the j W ME and a few other media peeps brought a black flag and then we started singing a bunch of shanties, like very loudly around other just guess, but it was.
Speaker 4: The games media.
Speaker 3: To do that again.
Speaker 2: I also wanted to call out they have I allude to it quickly, but they've they've changed combat a fair bit.
Speaker 4: Yes, I don't.
Speaker 3: I haven't really decided. I don't remember the original game having great but that was the era where Assassin's Creed combat. To me, it was always serviceable at best.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I I liked the older combat was very easy, and I liked that it made it feel like, oh, I mean, these guys could just kill anyone. They're just really really good at killing. It takes like one misstep and then they stabbed you in your dead or whatever. Now there's a lot it's a lot more intentional, Like when I succeed, I feel like a sense of accomplishment that I didn't really before. I don't know that it's like improved a whole lot for me, but partially because a lot of the times I'm like really tested in combat is they've they've removed a lot of the encounters in this game where it would be a stealth mission and you auto fail if you get seen. Now everyone just turns it you and tries to kill you. And it's nice that you don't have to stop and do everything over again, but it's kind of annoying when it's like, oh, hey, you have to fight nine guys right now, Like you're you're ready to sneak through, and they saw you because you thought that the crouch button was the punch button or you thought it was some other thing.
Speaker 3: The idiot.
Speaker 2: So I kind of thing, Yeah, go ahead, Wes.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say they updated with the nine guys. Back in the old days Assassin's Creed. That was Assassin's Creed. You'd have nine enemies surrounding you, but they would take turns fighting and you would just counter each one and it would ends to kill and it was kind of funny to watch happened. But it was fun and it felt cool.
Speaker 3: Now they have.
Speaker 4: Done a good job, although I don't know if I like it. The enemies are like kind of ruthless, Like they don't just sit around and wait. Some of them do. Like if there's nine enemies surrounding you, they're not all going to attack at once, but like two, three, four of them will attack it ones and the Like Charles mentioned, the Perry window is a lot smaller, and as a result, combat is is much harder because you're juggling more pieces and enemies will kill you a lot faster. I'm kind of in the same but as Charles, I don't know if I'm liking it more or less.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 4: There's more to do in combat, but for me, like I still try to play everything as a stealth game because I enjoy that a lot. And like Charles said, when you fail and then the entire camp is just on you, it's kind of like, ah, all right, well this I'm screwed now.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: There's also there's new moves you can do, Like you can sweep your leg there's another like kind Yeah, there's like these like new marshal techniques you can use, I guess you'd say, but you can also just hit someone until their guard breaks and then pair. Like there's more moves you have at your disposal, but there's to like Wes this point, but ocreative time, there's not always like reasons to use them. You can just kind of wait it out or just kind of swing past people. It's not like there's a shield guy and you got to use a specific move to get rid of the shield. I never use the legs sweeps or the kick like I just used them on accident.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, like I'm just breaking your armor and then we're gonna fight, and I will I'm waiting for the button that says take down to kill you immediately.
Speaker 3: I say, legs keep sounds good in the Assassin's Crag. In my head, you would like like sweep a guy and then stab them in the throat while he's on the ground. You you definitely can do that. It's just a thing of like.
Speaker 2: It just and yeah, someone someone's gonna play the game leg sweep all the time and they'll be totally fine and totally well off. It's just a thing that requires like two seconds more of thought when it's not. It doesn't make it that much fatter or it doesn't really make the game that much easier. It's a cool move to do, but it's just something that the game never is you need.
Speaker 3: To do this to success. It's the point.
Speaker 4: And also talking about the controls again, like so you're attacking with R one, but to do a leg sweep you got to press R two and then press X and it just doesn't like it feels very out of your flow. Like if you're in combat, you're doing a lot of R one and L one attacking and pairing and blocking, and then to do like an R two X move kind of just breaks the flow a bit. And I mean even seven hours, and I'm already like, Okay, I'm just not really going to use these moves like they don't really I'd rather feel cool and continue to look cool in a combo then interrupt to do like a leg sweep.
Speaker 2: I do use the shortcut to shoot people with my guns. You R two and triangle, then you shoot someone and it either just kills them immediately or breaks their guards super fast, and that that remains a very fun thing. I had one more thing I wanted to call out that was generally specific. I think also consensus. Matt Miller reviewed it Gaven eight two five. I think me and Wes are like, yeah, it's good. It's it's a little different than the original. If you're gonna play one of them now, I'd probably just recommend most people play this. But I don't think it like revolutionized the game in a way that's like transformed it. To me, I just think it's it's cool.
Speaker 1: Can I say something that mighty oh the original.
Speaker 3: Likes better? Interesting? Have you played?
Speaker 1: Have you played this or you just know I've been watching a lot of comparison I've my TikTok feed has served me a lot of comparison videos and there's just something about it that like it almost looks it just looks like a remaster in a way that like they've stripped out a lot of like the bloom that was in the lighting and the original, and like I think it kind of loses something a little bit.
Speaker 3: That's interesting. Black Flag was weird in betweens. It was a cross gin, it was a cross chine.
Speaker 1: I think it looks more gray now than I than it did back then, Like it looks more like grounded in in a way. It kind of like loses something to me. I don't know, it didn't. It didn't really And maybe maybe the person the people I've watched streaming it haven't had their settings, you know, turned all the way up, that could also be it. But I just thought it was interesting, like the there's a lot less bloom on the highlights, and like the color's like a different like sort of like color grade to it where where it kind of just kind of looks to me like it melds together a bit more. And maybe that's just again that might just be the clips I've seen. I'm curious what you guys think about the kind of the actual graphics.
Speaker 3: I think that when you're at Sea.
Speaker 2: I think the remaster looks way way better, okay, because there's there's a lot more like Techo, Like I think if you're watching like cut scenes side by side, there's a little bit more of a conversation. But like the tech in the water, like the way the ocean moves and the like okay sun rises and the sunsets, like that stuff is really cool that it was Like it didn't look terrible in the original game obviously, but that's like a clear.
Speaker 3: Upgrade to me.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: I do think there's plenty of conversation to be had of like you know, the opening cut scenes or like when they do the flashbacks and stuff like, which are those artistic decisions was better? And I do think there's often a thing of like, once games can make people look as realistic as possible, they forget to make decisions other than realism, and like a lot of the times, the the artistic direction you go and that's other than that can be more interesting. But I do think I do think there's parts of this game where it's like absolutely was worth remaking just just to see the waves, and that's where you are a lot of the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good point. Yeah, and again I have not played it myself yet, so like take what I was saying with a grain of salt. It was just like I had seen some stuff and I was like, huh, you know how this looks to me?
Speaker 4: Comparatively For me, I love Assassin's Creed Black Flag. I actually think it's one of the ugliest Assassin's Creeds, like the original, specifically in that era. Like I think the face is the horrible. I think there's like some some like ambiance and atmosphere that the remake has lost. But like I have tried to go back to the original and it's fine, Like I have replayed it's since launch, like on computer and stuff. But I don't know, I've as much as I love that game, I am genuinely like kind of like propulsed by how the original looks. So I was very much happy about this remake. And there are like comparisons you can do. Like I remember when they first announced this remake, there were scenes like side by side that people would take and I generally just write those off because like you can just pick and pluck whatever you want to, like make your message on your social post go viral. But like from what I'm playing it this it feels like a remake made in the vein of like the rose tinted glasses. Like I'm like, oh, this is how this is how Black Flag always looked to me as a kid, like or not a kid. I mean, I was graduating high school when it came out, but like, this is how it used to look to me, and now this is just what it is in my mind. Yeah, I don't know, I think it.
Speaker 1: Until I play it myself. I was just curious what your take.
Speaker 4: Was on that. Yeah, I mean it's like it's a It's just that I guess that generation for me, like I think you said in Marcus, like the PS three to PS four generation was it was just an odd one. I don't know. And Ubisoft's Anvil engine has come so far and I think it really shows, like this is a huge improvement even Overshadows in my opinion, and Shadows just came out what last year or two years ago? Yeah, last year. I think this is like a really, really, really good looking game. It does have that kind of that realism thing that Charles touched on, for sure, but the game still gets a lot right visually, and especially when you get into the more like Fantascal Assassin's kreedish elements, or even like the the water spouts we were talking about. When that kind of stuff starts to happen, it really does feel like you're watching a I don't know, Pirates of the Caribbean for lack of better other pirate cinema, but like it does feel fantastical and mythological in the way that pirates kind of are in pop culture.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: The last thing I want to mention real quick before we move on is the subtitles are very interesting. Well are you playing with the subtitles on? Are you subtitled?
Speaker 3: Am?
Speaker 4: But I have not noticed an interesting thing.
Speaker 2: The way they capitalize words is very odd. They will capitalize basically every noun.
Speaker 1: And I as if a proper noun.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I'm pretty sure because the only other instance I remember seeing this being like, huh, that's odd is like reading the Constitution in like history class, and it is like an eighteenth century way of writing. Of you you just capitalized nouns, or you capitalize things in a sentence that you want to like stand out as important. Yeah, And so when you're playing the game, I was like, at first, I was like, what the heck, this is like a weird translation.
Speaker 3: And maybe it is. Maybe it's like a weird mistake.
Speaker 2: I know, you like capitalized nouns in German, that's the.
Speaker 3: Thing they do in that language.
Speaker 2: But in this case, I'm pretty sure that's what they were going for. And at first I was like, they keep making mistakes here, what the heck they need? They need Charles Hart, associate editor to take a pass on this script. And then the more I realized it was like intentional, I'm like, that's actually really cool.
Speaker 3: It's like a of the era type thing.
Speaker 4: I haven't noticed that, but I'm gonna that is. I'm gonna check it out now.
Speaker 3: It's cool.
Speaker 4: Before we leave Black Flag Talk, I have some statements I wrote down. I'm okay, the jig is up. I really love pirates. I pirates are my favorite part of history. I love pirate movies and games and board games and WHU no, because I know the real history of pirates and that life sucked. But I wrote down some tru or false statements, and I because I was actually just talking with my wife about these. I'd finished a book recently about pirate mythology, and I wanted to do some true or false, and just see what you guys thought and let the readers you know, kind of or the listeners, uh, maybe get some right or wrong if you guys don't mind. Pirates are Pirates wore eye patches so that one eye was always attuned to the darkness, making it easier to see below deck. True or false?
Speaker 3: True? Yeah, true that.
Speaker 1: Someone with the horizon.
Speaker 4: The answer is false, and that is because for the most part, pirates just didn't wear eye patches, and they also didn't have wooden peg legs or hooks for hands. If you've got an injury like that, you probably just weren't going to be on board anymore. But it looks cool in movies, so that's great.
Speaker 3: Great, But why but the eye patch thing does work. That's some tech they missed out on. Come on, it is.
Speaker 4: But they had like candles and stuff down below deck. They probably didn't.
Speaker 3: You're a child.
Speaker 1: If you have like an eye issue, like a weak eye, they will cover your strong eye to make it your your weak eye. Kind of get up to get up to speed.
Speaker 3: Disappointed, they solve the very problem with the solution of we put lights down there.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, they use candles. Uh, Pirates made their victims walk the planks.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna I'm gonna say yes, but maybe not in the conventional plank. But I'm saying they did kick them off the ship into the ocean. Be correct.
Speaker 4: Oh sorry, I should probably wait for everybody to.
Speaker 3: Answered.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna I get too excited.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say.
Speaker 3: True, but I mean what Marcus said was true and whatever. Yeah, this is what I also co opping.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they did not like put the plank out, but they would just kick. They would just throw people overboard.
Speaker 3: Like unnecessary. So then I then I was right because you asked did they walk the plank or not and the answer was no. Never mind, I'm just wrong. Marcus was right.
Speaker 4: Because he said, like, I doubt they actually walked on a plank, but I bet they threw people over there.
Speaker 3: I'm just trying to get out of the goose egg right now. I'm over too. Uh.
Speaker 4: Pirates would maroon their victims on islands.
Speaker 3: True.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say false because how often are you just running into an island that you can leave someone on.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say false because I think if they wanted to get rid of somebody, they would just toss them over.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna say, I'm gonna say true. I'm gonna say they reserved it for like specific offenses.
Speaker 4: So the answer is true, but for different reasons. Basically, if you got captured by a pirate and we're allowed to stay alive, you had two choices, which was to work on the ship or you could be marooned, which would be swear to secrecy, promise not to come after us, Promise not to you know, get us in trouble with the law, but we will that you live on this island and you can figure out life on your own. Obviously, the chances of getting off the island are pretty slim back then, but you had a chance.
Speaker 3: That is kind of a courtesy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, pirates created their own unique flags. True or false?
Speaker 3: True true, true, true, that's too funny, This is true.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they did create their own flags. Something that I recently learned that I think is really cool is for like the first half of the Golden Age of piracy, they would have a red flag and a black flag, and they would fly one depending on what their plans were. If they flew a red flag that meant no mercy and they were going to kill you and destroy your ship and take your stuff. Black flag meant they will quarter you, so they will try to board your ship, and they will allow you to live as long as you let the robbing happen peacefully. And so they would kind of fly one or the other, depending on what kind of mood they were in. Eventually, piracy just became known for the black flag, and you just assumed pirates had the worst intentions if you saw the black flag. But for the most part, pirates were not jumping on ships and killing everybody because back then men were valuable. Why not have them work on the ship. And yes, they did get a little flamboyant with flag designs, and they wanted to be known and seen on the seas as like these huge threats. Yeah, we actually kind of touched on this one. But pirates drink rum on ships, That one is true, but they would mix it with their water because it provided them like disinfectant relief and help them get over its sicknesses and illnesses. True or false. Pirates were rich.
Speaker 3: False, I'm gonna say statistically false. Maybe the captain, but like there's a whole crew, Yeah, I don't think they all They.
Speaker 5: Kept putting all their treasure and holes in the ground they can't. It's not accessible that that's actually not true.
Speaker 3: I know that that's that's I feel.
Speaker 2: Like the the goal of being a pirate is to get enough money that you don't have to be a pirate anymore. So the fact that they continued to pirate implies to me, like the reason I still have a job.
Speaker 3: I'm not rich and ready to retire yet.
Speaker 2: You know, but if I just stumbled onto like ten million dollars tomorrow, you'd be out.
Speaker 3: You'd be gone.
Speaker 1: I think the pirates for paycheck to paycheck.
Speaker 4: For sure, pirates were. They were for the most part, not rich for the reason Charles stated, well.
Speaker 3: Also, ships are expensive, like whatever. Even if they got a big score, it probably has to go a lot of it has to go into maintaining the ship.
Speaker 4: They went into maintaining the ship, and they would also, you know, ration out the money to everybody. Basically, pirates were and and Black Five kind of touches on this. Like pirates, they would stop whatever job they have because maybe they had a huge debt back home where they wanted to provide for their family. They would go be a pirate with the goal of doing it for a couple of years. Striking big and then coming home, retiring, paying off the debt that's on them. Like it was always supposed to be temporary, but as Charles mentioned, like they did not make enough to they just had to keep going from score to score.
Speaker 3: Just my summer gig being a pirate for a bit. Yeah, just ave it.
Speaker 4: Black Beard put lit fuses in his beard.
Speaker 3: That is false, But I know it's like it's a popular legend that was well, I guess we don't know it. I know it is a thing that was spread about him at the time, but I don't know if it was ever actually conf I've never heard of this. It's like a really famous black Beard he.
Speaker 4: Does in black flag he has Yeah, he does it in black fuses.
Speaker 3: He does it.
Speaker 2: Yes, Yeah, yeah, I found blackleg He had him in his hat, which is what I was going to guess.
Speaker 3: Beard Beard feels a little too close for comfort. Yeah, I'm gonna I guess. I'm saying no because I don't think there's any historical proof, but everyone kind of speaks about it as if it was real. I'm saying false.
Speaker 4: Marcus is really good at this. It is generally believed to be true because there's enough documentation of people talking about black Beard that he would put fuses in his beard so that it would smoke. He would he specifically grew out his hair and did not tie it up so that it looked kind of wild and wrangly, and did other stuff like that to be more threatening on the seas. There was one pirate I'm blinking on his name, but when him and his crew attacked, they would all strip down but naked as like a way to throw off the crew that they were attacking.
Speaker 3: Color flag? Do you fly for that to let people know what you're doing?
Speaker 4: Uh? Great question. I don't have the answer I question, but I know there was like a lot of places I could go.
Speaker 3: But I was the firewall catching a lot of answers right now. I wasn't going to.
Speaker 2: Say, I'm actually gonna make someone a little bit upset, so we're just gonna going to be cool.
Speaker 4: Yes, I have a few more. Women and children were not allowed on board pirate ships.
Speaker 3: True.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say false, though I know there's all the case of pirates like cross dressing. My MI understanding was that more to get respect than it was like they were banned.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like there are there are female pirates. But we're talking about just like the rank and file crew and not like someone higher ranking.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say, like civilian. Are we talking like civilian women and children?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna say there was probably a career day, right yeah, yeah, all right, son, This is the part where we strip naked.
Speaker 4: And they did not allow women on board because they did not want men fighting over women on board. And they did not allow children on board because there were pirates were not good people and for similar reasons as wanting women on board, they would bring children on board, and captains did not want that interfering with what was happening on ships. Pirates are were rapists and pillagers, some were pedophiles. Like not a good crew or company to be in. So women and children were not allowed on board, not because they didn't want them on board, but because it would interrupt the flow of work, which is awful. Uh. Pirates buried their treasure? True or false?
Speaker 2: Marcus already said it was false, and he seems to know everything about pirates.
Speaker 3: I'm going with false.
Speaker 1: I noticed his true false, Marcus.
Speaker 3: They did.
Speaker 4: They did not bury their treasure. There's no real documentation. Respect that.
Speaker 1: I respect that really Marcus should go last, because.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like I love pirates stuff, maybe a step below Wes, but I I've always also had a fascination with pirates.
Speaker 4: Pirates rule.
Speaker 2: I know all the words to black Flag or to black Beard versus al Capone epograph Ale of History, So that's something, okay, Yeah, yeah, that's where I'm pulling.
Speaker 3: Did he have his fus on his beard? In that video?
Speaker 2: There is a line of I'll use that fuse in your hat to let up you and your buddies and burn your sailboat down and collect the insurance money.
Speaker 3: That's an Alcalpone.
Speaker 4: That doesn't you do know the whole thing, don't you money?
Speaker 2: I like that fuse in your hat to no, I already lost it. If I did it correct, then the.
Speaker 3: Cat anyways, does that pirates the best?
Speaker 2: The best line that that rape is actually sponsored by Assassin's creed for Black Flag. There's a bunch of weird references to the game in that verse, but the best one is al Capone says, I'm the mc assassin slash like Edward ken Way.
Speaker 3: Wrap so hard called me al dente. It's not like soft. Yeah, it's not that cooking it to softens the noodle, but it's but if you go too far, like you know a lot of people when you say to don't, don't the state of mind. I d state of mind like Dante has a chew, but you generally want it soft and not hard.
Speaker 1: You don't like you know, it's a spectrums.
Speaker 2: What's the next question? Is it about pasta pates like their pasta cooked?
Speaker 4: Did pirates say are and talk otherwise like that?
Speaker 3: Like the classic pirate I'm gonna say false because there's literally no evidence of video recording because that didn't exist in the Golden Asia piracy. We have no way of noise, is correct. They do not have video recordings empire or audio recording, like there's no way. There's literally no way of knowing they were.
Speaker 2: Black Beer getting canceled for that one TikTok he made, Yeah black Beard apology video goes crazy.
Speaker 1: I don't know if they specifically said like yar and are. I think it was probably they probably pronounced things miss mispronounced things because I would imagine and people who found themselves as a pirate due to like circumstance, probably not as educated, like they probably didn't have access to the same things as like royalty who are like very prim and proper and pronounced things all correctly, and so they kind of got this kind of fake persona from the general public that like they say things funny and stuff.
Speaker 3: I mean, being a gate a ship and using the stars, I mean that's pretty smart. Like see when you're a streets Actually that's not streets smart smart. It's there.
Speaker 2: There's like an old movie that has a pirate in it, and he talked like that, and everyone based their image of pirates off of that one character.
Speaker 4: Charles is correct. That old movie is Treasure Island from the nineteen fifties. That movie has largely determined pop culture pirates, like walking, the plank, eye patches, peg legs, the accent, all of that goes back to that movie pretty much. For the most part, they just sounded like where they came from, Wales, from the UK, from Scotland to Ireland, and they might pick up some slang from like the Caribbean. But yeah, they weren't like talking.
Speaker 3: Like that as a society. That Treasure Planet or Treasure Island was a documentary.
Speaker 4: It was like, I mean, it just kind of like took over. That was the that was their Avengers endgame back then, you know, I have two more pirates use cannons and other means to destroy ships on the seats. Yes, yes, that one is actually largely false. A lot of pirates did not have ships capable of holding guns, and so they would just rob ships by like join them. There were a couple of pirates who had secured larger ships for the most part, Yes, black Beard is one of the Yes, he's one of the more infamous pirates who was able to acquire a ship that could hold cannons. But for the most part, they're stealing, yes, and they're stealing ships and a lot of only the navy ships could have guns, like merchants weren't allowed to have cannons, and that's usually what they stole was those small schooners and whatnot. So unless you would like scored big from the Spanish Empire something like that, then you probably didn't have guns and you were just getting close enough to board them and hopefully rob them. And this kind of goes into the last question or true or false statement the British Empire encouraged piracy in the Caribbean.
Speaker 3: True, I'm saying piracy was an inside job this whole time, that sounds like I can't wait to cut that from the podcast.
Speaker 4: Charles wasn't even alive for that presidency either, like a little bit that's that's stolen presidential valor.
Speaker 3: And back and back back to one.
Speaker 4: Yes, true, the British Empire did encourage piracy. They actually allowed pirates to a dock at Port Royals, specifically to spend money in their shops so long as pirates uh agreed soft agreed to not attack British ships and only focused on Spanish ships.
Speaker 3: Which Royal Caribbean.
Speaker 4: I am yeah, like the actual Port Royal which sunk in Jamaica by earthquake.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: And to round all this out, that ties back into Assassin's Creed Black Flag because early in the game, Blackbeard will tell you don't attack the British ships. We have a little agreement with them. But if you attack the Spaniards, that's fair game.
Speaker 3: Kill them all. Put the red flag up when you see those guys.
Speaker 4: And that is my true or false hired segment. Now I can take off this hat, but I'm not.
Speaker 3: Going star.
Speaker 1: Well perfect. That was a really fun game, think us.
Speaker 3: I love trivia yay.
Speaker 1: Also, your hat is so big that like your face.
Speaker 2: Is cut off in the camera to fit almost the entire segment has been more hat than Wes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so people want the longer West talked about pirates, the bigger the hack. Yeah, the hat expanded.
Speaker 1: I think at one point it was touching the camera.
Speaker 2: Less mudges the camera just figure his hat.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, let's get into a couple more games before we get out of here. I just wanted to talk really quickly about a cool new game called Don't Let It Starve. It's developed by somebody named Edward O. Scarpatto, and it's a sort of like uh your The premise is you wake up inside of a cell and you look behind you and there is a sort of man, what would be the right word, like a not a hallway, not like a like a portal, not not not like a real portal, but like a hole that connects this room to another room, and like something that you can pass trays through.
Speaker 3: Oh oh, like a like a port a port yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And on the other side of that that, you know, port in the darkness are just two sets of eyes, and it's this monster who speaks French. He's got he used a lot of French words, and he is like the he's the thing you're not letting starve. Don't let it starve. Don't let that monster starve. And it's like a it's a chef adjacent monster, and he has like certain things that he wants you to cook for him and like put together. They're on binto boxes and so you are you wake up. Also, it's really creepy because at one point in time you turn around and I'm like just like getting to know the room, and I turn around and his hands are like almost at me to get me. It's really creepy. And he's got like multiple hands. You only ever see his arms to grab trays and stuff.
Speaker 3: Is he he sounds like the same vibe as the game master and inscription.
Speaker 1: Yes, very yeah, similar vibe and and similar to inscription. You are in a room that has like puzzles that like ostensibly you can maybe escape the room. I haven't made it that far. But as you go and make progress in the game, the you know you're gonna like be looking out for clues and that kind of thing, and there's notes left behind by other people who are trapped in this room. But the primary, your primary goal is to satisfy the hunger of the beast on the other side, and you do that by making these Bento boxes. But every round there's like a score that you have to hit, essentially, and you only have, like at the start of the game, you only have four bento boxes to hit that score, and so you will when you go to the bento box kind of assembly station if you're looking at it, it's kind of straight on, and you go and it brings up three sort of like tickets. You can do a tiny bento box, a medium sized bento box, and a large one, and the tiny one will award you for each sort of like successful bento box you create, you'll get three gold coins. For the middle tier, which has like more slots for you to use, and it's ostensibly it'll be easier to get a higher score because you have more slots to put food on. It'll give you like one gold and then the large one, which you can certainly kind of reach your score with most times, that actually takes away a coin from you. And so above that is like a sort of there are like three capsules that have food in them, and so every time you take a food, it will sort of reroll whatever's in those boxes, and so you're kind of picking like, Okay, do I want to take a sausage which is worth this amount? Do I want to take a pickle or like an olive because it's only it's gonna only take up one pip And actually I've that's like the only food that's gonna help me complete this bento because I need to fit it into this one slot. And everything's kind of sort of shaped like tetris, like different shapes and stuff, and you're trying to assemble them to get the most amount of food on your bento. And if you look to the right, if you kind of step away from that main assembly station, look to the right is sort of a a rotating shop that has like new kinds of foods or modifiers or like things that will like, oh I picked up one on my run. That's like sausages are now worth extra points and so okay, that's gonna like inform my run and kind of like, okay, I'm gonna be looking out for sausages and trying to like reroll my because everything kind of uses these gold coins that you have as a resource to it, and you're essentially like trying to manage those gold coins to buy new foods, get modifiers while also kind of juggling this like this score that increases every round lest you become devoured by the beast. It's really it's it's interesting, it's it's got a good vibe. I'm really enjoying it so far. I think it's like only eight bucks. But if you are a fan of a game like Inscription or even games that are like of of like these sort of like Bollatrow, like Rogue Light strategy game where you're trying to get increasing multipliers like and like kind of break the game and like get these really high scores, this is like another one of those games, except it's almost like a The Bento kind of reminds me of like like a Resident Evil inventory system, like you can kind of rotate things and flip them around, and yeah, you're trying to.
Speaker 3: Just like make some wiz.
Speaker 2: There's like a similar minigame and Consume Me that you play all the time.
Speaker 1: Where you're like, yes, yes, that's a great shout out.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: I was going to draw comparisons to like the i mean the RI four briefcase, but there was a game that was about managing an R four style briefcase where you're trying to fit everything and and get like the best score you could out of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's sort of like the run to run. And then there's this I'm too early in the game to have figured out like how the whole like meta system works, because there's like there's a safe on the wall with like numbers. There's a little scribbles around the walls, like there's one I found. It's like a four leaf clover and it has the number one next to it, so it's like, Okay, got to figure out what that means. There's clearly like an exit hatch with a lock on it. There's like a series of like four bells that you can ring that are that's above that latch. There's a lot of like clearly like very puzzly things. There's like little thing scattered on the floor that feel like they'll eventually be relevant. And I haven't quite unearthed with that like Crossrun sort of meta like what I'm aiming to get to is yet. But it's really interesting and I'm I think it's a really a really well made game. It's an interesting concept, and it's got like this yeah, this horror tone that I think is you know, I think eventually they introduced like timers on like you have to assemble this binto box quickly, and like, yeah, so yeah, it's it's really effective and I'm really enjoying it. So I wanted to talk about it on the show for a little bit.
Speaker 3: Sounds cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's called It has like not that many Steam reviews also, so this is not like a yeah one hundred and thirty very positive. Yeah, it came out June twelfth, but I recommend it. It's been really fun so far, and I'm gonna keep playing it again. That's called Don't Let It Starve, which I have been confusing with Don't Starve, the very popular survival sim games. But yeah, I recommend it. It's being published by Black Lantern Collective, and they've I think they usually just focus on like coreror games in general. But but yeah, I wanted to shout that one out and then before we before we head out, I want to toss it over to Marcus. You've been playing a game called Cat Mail Company, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: This is a cozy little game where you play as a cat running an abandoned post office and trying to basically pick up the pieces from the owner who has vanished under mysterious means, don't really know much about them. But this is like a post office that is like on the water. So you have a delivery boat that comes each day to either bring new packages or to take the packages that are that people have given to you. And you're pretty mu just trying to get it up and running again. Like you walk in, you see like piles and piles of abandoned boxes. Like literally the way you unlock new areas of the post office is that like some of the hallways are literally flooded with packages, like just in a pile, and you have to like kind of excavate them, and then the more you dig up, the pile reduces, and then it'll be like, oh, there's a door behind this pile that leads to a room where I can fix damage packages. Okay, but it's neat, it's very it's very chill. Like the basic loop is that you have all these cats. Everybody in this game is a cat come up to your desk and know either give you a package that they want to mail or they're coming to pick up a package. And if they're mailing packages, you have to stamp it based on which location needs to go to, like there's different other islands that you gradually unlock access to throughout the game, but it's like, oh, it's going to this like Lighthouse Island, and you put the appropriate stamp on it. You have to aid to packages, and depending on how much ways you have to put x number of stamps, you eventually unlock in x ray that you send packages through that might reveal other attributes that need to be sort of marked, whether like, oh, Okay, this thing's really heavy, I gotta put like a sticker on this to let people notice is heavy, or this package has something inside of it it needs to be kept frozen. And then eventually you open up a section of the post office that has a freezer and you can stick the packages this in there until the boat comes to collect them. And then if someone's coming to pick up a package, they walk in and a lot of them are kind of idiots in the sense that they come with like barely information about the thing that they have come to retrieve, whether it's for them or if they're picking it up for a family member. And I say idiots in like a cute way, like they're cute dummies, and they're like, I don't know, man, I just notice package has a yellow ribbon, and it's like literally, there's some casts that are like pretty sure this package is cube shape this box and they're like, oh okay, well I've got a hundred of those. Let me go through those real quick, and they'll give you like like each package has a first name and a last initial, so sometimes someone will come in and give you the full name to person's you have to go, but like, okay, that last name starts with an S. Let me go through all my S packages and see which ones it might be. And the space that you're in sort of the storage room. You can organize your packages however you want, like you have like multiple shelves of different types and so like whatever organization method makes the most sense to you, you go with them, like whether you want to arrange it by the destination that they came from or by the special attributes of like okay, I'm gonna put all my super heavy packages over here, or you can put them alphabetically. It's just whatever your brain sort of sings with, which I like. But it's a very like laid back game, like time advances every time you deal with a customer. But when you don't deal with a customer, which you act manually like you have like a little desk bell that you ring when you want to deal with someone. But when you're not doing that, you're free to just kind of do whatever you want without consequence, whether it's oh, I want to organize the space a bit, or you're finding like pictures where you see all these blank spaces on walls and decorations, where it's like, oh, I'm gonna fill out all these decoration spaces. Maybe I'll get like a reward for that or something. And also just maybe like gradually revealing you used to occupy this space because you're seeing like pictures of a people living here and you're like, okay, like maybe this is the owner that vanish. Maybe we're gonna learn something about them. Because the only other character, at least so far, I've interacted with that isn't a customer is the boat captain who comes by us said he seems relatively clueless about like, oh, you're not the person I usually deal with, but whatever. I guess. I don't get paid enough to test too many questions. I'm just here, yeah, give you your packages. But it's nice. I've enjoyed it as a very much like a second screen game. Okay, I'm gonna have like a podcast on or I'm gonna watch some just something on the other screen while I'm just dealing with these cats. But it's fun. There are some annoyances, like my biggest hang up with the game is that it doesn't auto save frequently enough, Like it only saves after every shift. So you have a day shift and a night shift. Yeah, and each shift is a certain number of customers that you have to get through, and if you try to exit the game before you end your shift, it just won't, like it'll tell you the last time you save, and sometimes it'll go like thirty minutes to an hour, depending on how long it takes you to either find someone's packages, because again, somebody's package descriptions and you have so many all the time that you're just going through each one trying to inspect them, like is this the one if they want so that can, Like it is annoying having to get through a whole shit before it's like okay, now it can quit the game. So I wish I could just save any time and then some many other package descriptions can be or not even the package description, but some of the rules of the game could be a little vague in terms of I was trying to figure out for the longest time because some packages I've had for like ever, and I'm like, are these people ever gonna come for somebody? And then I was on and since there were there when you start the game, I kept wondering, like, do I think if they see a bow captain or are they supposed to be sent out? Is that why no one's come prettise? But I don't know. I feel like he would I would get a notification if I was taking too long meal on these packages. I don't know, Like you kind of at the end of a shift, you're awarded points for how many packages you correctly labeled in shipped to their correct destinations. If you label something wrong, it'll be sent back to you and it might be damaged the next day, so you have to worry about that. But then I guess as you level up, you unlock like just a little milestones happened with the story where it's like, again, you might find a key to a room that you didn't have before or stuff like that. But other than those hangs up, it's cool, like it's it's just nice. It's like a nice little break. I just wish I could save whenever I want. That's honestly, with the game, it's not fair enough. Yeah, it's it's like working at a real job. I can't just walk out anytime I want. I gotta wait for the end of my ship where I can go home.
Speaker 2: Well, I think especially the way you're playing it with it with it as like a second screen game two of like you just kind of want to pick it up for like twenty minutes and then put it down and.
Speaker 1: Be able to save an annoying right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you got to like finish it out as Yeah, just kid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like, oh my show's over. I'm ready to do something else, but I gotta do like two more I gotta do with two more customers before I can clock out. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well cool, Well I think that's gonna be it for the podcast this week. Do you just want to say, please go pick up a copy of Game Informer magazine, Game Informer dot Com slash subscribe of course if you're in the US and want to pick up a subscription, or or find us on newsstands around the world. Thank you for listening. Please if you don't mind, share the show with a friend, if you do enjoy it and think you if you've been with us for a while, or whether this is your first episode, or yeah, we just appreciate you listening, especially if you made it this far, made it through all of our our shenanigans. But yeah, I hope you all have a great week. Be sure to follow the crew here. You can follow Charles at Chuck Duck three sixty five, follow Marcus at Marcus Stewart's seven. You find Wesley at LeBlanc Wes or slash or at Wesley LeBlanc depending on the platform. I believe you can find Eric at cmusie and you can find me at It's Van Aiken. Don't forget to follow Game Informer everywhere. It's the best way to keep up with everything we've got going on and as well as get you know, the daily news. But yeah, we'll see you next Friday. Thank you for watching. Goodbye,