Speaker 1: You're listening to an air Wave media podcast. The body of this creature walks ashore along the East River, So what exactly is it?
Speaker 2: The cannibalistic attack that led police to shoot.
Speaker 3: A man they say was gnawing at the face of someone else in the street.
Speaker 4: George believes that he has finally found proof of the infamous Blochness Monster with a photograph recently taken.
Speaker 1: While it's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen.
Speaker 3: Before, a giant, hairy creature.
Speaker 2: Part eight, Part Matt in Luckness, a twenty four a mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland, in a creature known as the Luckness Monster.
Speaker 4: Mormstert.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm your host Blake Smith. Together with skeptical investigators doctor Karen Stoleso and Ben Radford, we help you find the facts behind creatures of legend and lore. This is our twenty twelve Monster Year in Review, and we welcome back Sharon Hill of the Doubtful News website. We're going to cover a lot of stories in the next hour or so and links to all of those or in the show notes, plus some that we didn't have time to dig in on, So be sure and check out those notes for all that fun stuff. Now let's get straight into the year in review with some mormstert. Okay, so we're bringing back Sharon Hill again. By the way, sharing your last visit with us was really popular.
Speaker 1: So yeah, well I told you?
Speaker 3: Why did you?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Awesome?
Speaker 3: Is it because you were on it?
Speaker 1: Well? I would like to think so, but it was the last one before you took like an extended break.
Speaker 3: So you think that the listeners just started piling.
Speaker 1: Up, people kept checking back.
Speaker 3: I'll listen to the Sharon win again. See what happens.
Speaker 4: Maybe it'll get better.
Speaker 3: Anything will happen. Well, you know, did I miss anything? Was there any monster years in twenty third, twenty twelve, whatever year it.
Speaker 1: Was, it was a pretty good monster year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: Really it was a stinky ghost here, you're right, You're right.
Speaker 3: I mean with the ghost owners losing one of their key members.
Speaker 1: And there were there were really not that many great ghost stories, but there were. You know, I think it was definitely a good monster year. Good how you look at.
Speaker 4: It, it was a pretty thin year for ufologies. I recall I as soon to recall reading some story about how people were grousing that the UFO reports have been down. So maybe maybe this really was the year of the of cryptology.
Speaker 3: Maybe especially sea monsters. Those things come in waves.
Speaker 5: No, no, somebody muting. So is this year any bigger than last year? The same as pot stories?
Speaker 1: Well, I think definitely. The Bigfoot issue is huge this year. There's no doubt about that. And that's propelled by the media. I've never seen so many Bigfoot stories.
Speaker 3: And when you say there's no doubt about that.
Speaker 1: No, I don't doubt that at all.
Speaker 3: You don't doubt that the big year right right? Right?
Speaker 1: Highly doubtful.
Speaker 3: That's fine.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I've never seen so much speculation and interest in that, and it's I got really tired of it fast.
Speaker 3: Well, okay, I don't understand. Okay, I want to kind of go through the year chronologically, but but what is going on? It's like every week in this last month of the year or the last two months or so, there's been some new Bigfoot story and then they fade out, and then another big Foot story and it fades out.
Speaker 5: And why is this?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Is this just people?
Speaker 4: Is this?
Speaker 3: Uh? Is this internet link cooring? Is there? Is there really like none of these stories seem to be playing at all. The only one that really seems like a real story is the psych study of DNA. Everything else seems like I have a rumor, I have a rumor, you know, and then nothing happens.
Speaker 1: It does seem to be a lot of one upmanship trying to go on here to me, and I'm just an observer to these various researchers that are online. They like attention and they want to have something to grab the public's attention, and whether they make it up or not. So you have lots of bloggers who have ads all over their sites who want those hits. And that may be a real cynical way of looking at it, but I it's absolutely what's happening. The Bigfoot bloggers load their sites with links or with ads, and they want that attention, they want those hits, so they will actually just repeat the same stories over and over again in a different way. They will put rumors on their complete speculation, strange coincidences that they associate with big Foot. It's just it's it's been difficult to look at.
Speaker 3: The rumors bug me because they keep being unattributed or second and third hand that sort of thing.
Speaker 4: Well, Sharon, let me ask you this. I mean, do you do you given that there's all this all this you know, speculation and rumors and stuff going on, and as you've noticed, it's probably largely for the hits. Is is it just sort of the short sightedness in that the bigfoot community just doesn't care? I mean, does you know. One one way to look at is that is that they just just don't give it, and you know, they're just going for the short term. The other angle to look at is that, well, you know that all this just does nothing make the big potters look bad. And for as much as they complain about the skeptics making them look bad, uh, they do far more internal damage than we've ever done.
Speaker 1: But I'll look at it more optimistically. I think they're too involved in it. I think that they are so engrossed in this idea that it's out there for them to find. They are blind to any other possible interpretation. And I believe that Melba Ketchum thinks she has something important. And I believe that some of these big foot hunters think that they've had encounters, you know, and that the creatures out there there's one houling back at them in the woods and making noises back at them. They really believe that, I guess that's optimistic, but I don't think they're fooling I think they're just fooling themselves.
Speaker 4: Right, But if they really believe it, then would they have recognize that they're only harming their own credibility even assuming they completely believe it by doing the stuff. I mean, you would think that they would recognize, hey, you know, this is just making us look stupid because we're just recycling the rum or the minute and not looking the long term. I mean, even if they totally believe.
Speaker 3: Wall, if they were really concerned about credibility, would they'd be involved in bigfoot research? Because I know, even as a skeptical person who's interested in the topic, just even mentioning it gets you dismissed by a lot of people, no matter what your position on it is.
Speaker 5: It's like, I don't think they're that self effacing anyway.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Another thing is that they are not in any way a monolithic community. There is ragtag and diverse a group as any of the skeptical community is, I suppose, and oh boy do they Yeah, yeah, they are also self devouring. It may be that our nature is to form tribes and to fight other tribes. So it maybe the reason that bothers me so much is I don't want to be in a tribe. I mean, I kind of like the idea of being in a group. But you know, with well, you know what, I feel an affinity to bigfooters because I spent so much of my youth interested in believing in the topic, and so when I came to the conclusion that there wasn't sufficient evidence, I didn't stop being interested in the topic. I still find it very interesting, you know, I still go back to the old books. In fact, I think this year twenty twelve is the year I did the most nostalgic thing ever and got as many old nineteen seventies paranormal documentaries as I could track down and started going back through them just to see, you know, what's changed since the seventies. And the amazing thing to me was I did a lot of research in watching old ancient astronaut movies and it's exactly the same material as they're using in the modern documentaries, except it looks better than new ones. I mean, it is exactly the same, the same skulls, the same fake airplanes, the same little idols, the same sculpture's drawing sites. Everything's the same. And not much has changed Bigfoot either, except for this potential DNA research.
Speaker 1: No, And with all the technology we have and the more people are able to stay out in the woods or get farther in the woods, and we still have nothing. That's that's my major gripe.
Speaker 3: Well, I think we're just waiting for Jeff Meldrum's bloom research to be funded, right.
Speaker 4: Just blim yes, that's right.
Speaker 3: Okay, So let's talk about Bigfoot twenty twelve. So I look at sharing you put together this wonderful list. Can we put this in the show notes?
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: Sure? I was going to do a blog post on it, but that's all right.
Speaker 3: Well okay, well I imagined your blog post would be like the illuminated version of this, right, that's fine. And when I say illuminated, I'm talking about you know, like the ancient manuscripts with pictures, not our illuminati masters who fund this podcast.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: I just want to clear that up. So I see the first thing you put on here was the catchup project, right, So that been that being because that is continuing since two thousand and eight.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's got a long and sorted history. It's got people coming and going, it's got secrets, it's got intrigue, it's got it's got everything. It's so well shot, it.
Speaker 4: Does everything but evidence.
Speaker 1: So oddly enough, yeah, it's I spent weeks trying to figure out the chronology of all this, and the worst part was probably trying to, like we talked about, get sources for all these comments rumors here or are there about what was going on with the project, how the samples were produced, or who who was giving samples to her and what she was doing with them. That that's what it took so long to sort through all that. So you know, we're at this point now. I think that, Well, she did just do an interview on Coast to Coast AM. I thought was really fascinating because it was I was actually listening to her tell the story at that point, which was great because then I don't have to worry that it was rumor or speculation, and it was. It was really interesting because she admitted that things went terribly wrong for her and it did not go the way that she wanted to. Things went awry, and she she actually said she wouldn't do it again.
Speaker 4: Wrong in terms of what because not everybody heard the just the evidence or just the whole story or what went wrong.
Speaker 1: She did not expect the reaction that she got. She did not anticipate, so she says she didn't anticipate that the results would turn out the way they did, and then she she was very taken aback by the nastiness she received by No No, not only the people who didn't believe what she said, but also the people in the big book community that had been her supporters, and then felt I guess she felt like they turned on her. And I think she saw that there was a lot of backbiting going on. You know, they were trying this one upmanship type thing, Who's going to be the first one to get the big scoop on Bigfoot? And she really feels like she has something to show, and I none of us know what she has right now, and I don't know when.
Speaker 5: Well they turn on her in her mind.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure she really explained that. But one thing I found that was interesting is when she got into this Bigfoot sampling, she says that she didn't know anything about the community at all, which is probably true, and she ended up dealing with some people that weren't she calls weren't ethical. That's what she says. They weren't ethical. So I don't know the backstory of what they did to her. But there was some corporations that were founded. They were supposed to have business deals together and things fell through, and there was lawyers involved, and there's some animosity, so it I'm not sure we'll know what happens unless she writes some sort of book about it.
Speaker 5: So she's not naming names at all.
Speaker 1: She doesn't have to. I mean, if you look, you would find who those people are. Yeah, yeah, but she didn't name names on the last interview that she did. And then what I think also happened is the psych study was progressing. That started in the summer in early summer, and then that was supposed to end the end of this year, and then the paper should be coming out in twenty thirteen. I think that there was this rush to come out with this DNA evidence again to scoop each other. They're nervous about getting it out first. At the same time, finding Bigfoot people were even getting into the DNA testing on their show, so there seemed to be this mad rush at the end of the year to be the first one to announce DNA results.
Speaker 4: Although, correct me if I'm wrong, But the Psych's Oxford DNA project is totally separate from anything the catchment is doing, right, I mean they're using two totally different databases and everything else like that. So yep, well, right, you're using.
Speaker 3: The same d database, but they're using different samples, right, so.
Speaker 1: There may even be split samples. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, the other thing is Kenchen already had her samples, didn't she she didn't like put an open call out for.
Speaker 1: She did put an open call.
Speaker 3: She okay, that's interesting.
Speaker 1: Cool, she got on Coast to Coast am. She says that they when she first appeared on that show, she put out in an open call and her and David Plaidi's were on that show, and then after that they did even a number of additional samples. HM.
Speaker 3: See Bigfoot listens to NPR. So sure there's the wrong audience and no, that's that's fascinating to me. I really am quite interested to see what comes out of the psych study.
Speaker 1: And it's interesting that a couple of the other bigger stories sort of intertwined into that one. They all sort of started merging together. Uh, the Sierra Kills episode that was that probably the most dramatic story of the year.
Speaker 3: Where the least dramatic. Inde, I don't think.
Speaker 1: It's over yet. I think there's still stuff that's going to come out about that.
Speaker 4: Where can you give us a background on the right?
Speaker 1: Bear hunter and his buddy were on a back roads in California National Park and pretty remote area, and then, as they tell it, something was coming towards them on two legs, sort of like a grayish odd color, and Hunter number one shot it, and it jumped into the bush and they ran after it, and then they came across two smaller creatures, presumably child creatures of the same thing, and at one point they felt slightly threatened and they shot one of the small ones and the same hunter and it died in his arms, and he describes it as sort of a cross between a bear and a gorilla or something like that. He describes the face and the fur and everything, and then they high tailed it out of there. They came back, as they say, two weeks ago, this is two weeks later. This was disputed and couldn't find the body. There was snow on the ground and they found a piece of flesh with hair on it, and they took that and that became what's known as the Bigfoot steak, and that supposedly was put in to Ketchum study, but they also studied it tested it independently, and recently that result of the independent test came back that it was bear. Meanwhile, the Ketchum results suggests she has sort of suggested that she believed the story and that that sample was part of her bigfoot database. So that's not clear what happened at all. But now he's changing his story. He was afraid he's going to get into trouble because he may have shot a human or something close to a human, and it just got really nuts.
Speaker 4: A bigfoot human bear thing.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, but he didn't. He also come back and say that the results were something like twenty something percent bear and then seventy percent unknown.
Speaker 1: I thought that it had his DNA in it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the whole anytime, the story ever since we've talked, did our second interview with Todd des Hotel, that whole unknown thing seems really suspicious now whenever I hear it. It's unknown doesn't mean mystery creature. Apparently unknown means crap.
Speaker 1: And then I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: So you think something more is going to come of this story?
Speaker 1: He was saying, I don't think the truth has come out at all. I don't know what the truth is because it's so muddled at this point, we may never know what it is. I think we just have to wait to see what Ketchen's data says if we can read it, because it might be in Russian when it comes out. Which is another thread that's woven through this story is the Russian contingent that they study the yetti over there. They are very open to the idea that it's real that he lives in caves, that he's all over the villages, and they try to bring tourists over and it's a very different world over there. They love their yetti though, and apparently they said to Melba, yeah, sure, welcome, welcome to Russia. We'll we'll publish the paper over here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, why don't you tell us about that, because that's a good lead into the Russian claims about the yetti hare where earlier this year they said that they were I think proved positive or ninety nine percent or something, and that was the one where Jeff Meldrum was there, and it turned into this big fiasco. Can you can you recap that for us?
Speaker 1: That was a good story. I saw Jeff speak when he got back at a big foot convention and he gave the story that he went over to Russia. They invited him as as a premier scientist over there, and a couple of other bigfoot researchers from the US and a woman from Michigan who claims that they were living in her backyard and she gets woven into the Ketchum story later on, and I'll come back to that. But they all went over there to this this U conference and they were under the impressionnumbers is going to be some sort of scientific interest in it. It turns out there really wasn't. It was more like a media event. And they ended up going to a cave that was supposedly housed a yetti he lived there. And as soon as they walked in the cave, oh look hair, Oh look a footprint. Oh never mind, it's just one foot, you know. A couple of times it's a fun yeah, And a nest they found in the corner and this scientist igor Bertsev. Jeff described him as jumping in the nest and rolling around it and say, look, it's a it's a yetti nest. And you could see the way Jeff was talking about it, he was mortified that if this actually was a piece of evidence, what are you doing? Big He was fury. He was furious at how this turned out. And he came back and I really don't think that he had any intention of believing anything that they said for that after that point he sounded really disgusted. That same woman that went over there with the continued American contingent that Jeff ran into while he was there, was the woman in Michigan who says that she was feeding the bigfoot in her backyard and they particularly liked blueberry bagels, and apparently one of these blueberry bagels may have had saliva on it, and that was part of sample taking put in the Ketchum study. Later on, Ketchum ended up hiring this woman, robin Lynpeffer, to be her spokesperson, and she just really didn't do a good job at it. She couldn't read the scientific paper, she couldn't talk in a way that was suitable for public relations. She was extremely biased and what she was talking about the forest people in her backyard, and so it was just it was weird.
Speaker 4: Was she in the pyrole of big Bagel?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. But when I first read that story, I'm thinking, there's people, you know, coming into her backyard, her kids, friends, you know, eating the bagels.
Speaker 5: It's something else going on there, brought.
Speaker 4: To you by Einstein Brothers. Bagels, the favorite of Bigfoot everywhere.
Speaker 1: It's just all it's weird. It's all molded together, and you know, you have you have the finding Bigfoot people like not moneymaker uh saying that he doesn't trust catch him and this is all a bunch of hooey that's going on, and nobody's nobody's got the right answer but him my parently, Well.
Speaker 3: He is the final arbiter of Bigfoot fat and and Bobo is the human Bigfoot analog. So this all makes sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, did you want to say Boba fete?
Speaker 3: But I almost said Boba fet is what I almost said. So what's his actual last name? Is it fee?
Speaker 4: I thought it was.
Speaker 3: I don't know, it's not Boba fed I think it's fay here, right, I think it is fay, So I decided to just call them bobo instead. So I went boba like that, But no, I did not mean you did you did?
Speaker 4: Moving on, I would have edited out.
Speaker 3: It would all have been gone. Nobody had known. It would have been good. So I guess the big story then is that we're undoubtedly going to find the answer about Bigfoot because Spike TV is offering ten mid dollars bounty for whoever brings one in dead or live.
Speaker 1: Right, No, it doesn't work like that. What Spike TV had already picked some Bigfoot researchers and beforehand for this series, they had recruited some people. They're not just offering an open reward for ten million dollars, huh No. And there, as far as I know, they this is for a series. They had already interviewed some people to you know, for this unscripted I don't know, a series, reality type series. And they already had their people in line, and those those teams were supposed to compete to get this prize money for a definitive proof of Bigfoot, whatever that would be, and then they had they would have to make a judgment call about whether that evidence was good enough for ten million dollars. I can't see what evidence would be good enough for ten million dollars except for the actual body itself.
Speaker 3: Hey, yeah, that's what I would be looking for.
Speaker 5: What the good news with this is that we've got someone on our side who's working with them, Toddell. He's going to be their consultants. So hopefully he's going to keep them on the right track.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm confident he will.
Speaker 4: Unless they just steamroll them, because sometimes they do that. Don't doesn't matter how good your intentions are, doesn't matter how much science you try to inject, They just they'll edit you out.
Speaker 5: So we've got a voice there that's true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, I mean they might edit the crap out of his screen time, but I don't think they can mess with his DNA results, So yeah, maybe not so so. I I guess we've only got like a day left in the year, and by the time this comes out, that won't even be true. So likelihood that Bigfoot will be definitively proven in twenty twelve. No, what about twenty thirteen? How's it looking?
Speaker 1: Well? You know, I bet if we were sitting here in twenty eleven, we would have said the same thing. You know that you know, but something could happen. That's cynical, I am, But so many people sat through twenty twelve thinking it's right around the corner. It's right around the corner, this is going to be the year and nothing happened or it was going to end. Yeah. I'm really looking forward to Psych's results as well. I want to see what they what they have to show for it.
Speaker 5: I really when are those results becoming available?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Early next year? Okay, And I hope. I'm actually hoping we can get him on the show once he's published, because apparently he's keeping this very close to pocket. It's the threat way, and he's not saying.
Speaker 1: And that's the way a scientist should work.
Speaker 3: Well, he's not going to do a press release about what he thinks might be happening. I don't understand.
Speaker 1: About leaking it on Facebook. No.
Speaker 4: Excellent, Well, Sharon, what what do you think is going to happen with the catching thing? I mean, as you said, you you know, it could be anything from nothing to results published in Russian. You've been following this whole story closer than most people have. What's what's your general sense of what will what will happen with it.
Speaker 1: My general sense is that I shall not predict a darn thing because I cannot imagine the next strange twist that things will take.
Speaker 3: I just can't I predict someone's going to come out with an outrageous story about Bigfoot but have no evidence to back it up. Every way, good, Yeah, but you did mention here the continued popularity of the TV show Finding Bigfoot. Unfortunately, how has science explain that?
Speaker 1: I have heard that half the audience watches it just for a.
Speaker 5: Good laugh, just like Ghost Hunters.
Speaker 3: You know, you say that, I've heard a lot of people laughing at the ghost owners. But I know people who think that show is scientific true, and I.
Speaker 5: Think, okay, ghost Adventures.
Speaker 3: Then done right?
Speaker 5: Yeah, no one thinks that's real.
Speaker 3: No, well, no, no, no, no, no, I wouldn't go that far. I don't think anyone thinks it's scientific, though. Did I tell you? My favorite joke is, uh, Joel McHale calls Zach Began Scooby Douche.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I heard that.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, Matthew has been using that one for a while, So that's been that's been doing the rounds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's good, it's rue.
Speaker 5: Scooby Douche.
Speaker 1: That's the first time I've heard it. That's hilarious.
Speaker 5: All Right, it's been a random while.
Speaker 3: I'll probably tip that out. You'll need to stop saying things. I'm gonna have to cut out. I am too lazy to edit. All right. So let's move on to what was probably one of the biggest stories of twenty twelve, bar none, which was the incredible mammoth video, the Siberian Mammoth. Actually we covered that on the show you did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was you not only covered it, but you uncovered it as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, we did a pretty good job on that.
Speaker 4: We did right on that one.
Speaker 3: I like that because it was fine because we were timely and and after doing a ridiculous amount of video work, I was able to precisely show the frames in which that was inserted, and we got on video experts to show that it was digitally inserted and it was not a bear with a fish in his mouth. That was a really fun case where so many skeptics went with Okham's razor and then drew I guess the wrong conclusions, which is really fun funny. I mean, not like haha skeptic. I'm a skeptic too. I'm just saying it's it's a it's a trap you can set for yourself and fall into.
Speaker 5: And now that is completely died down.
Speaker 1: But the strange thing is that if you go to the sun, the video is still there is and the story is still up unchanged.
Speaker 5: They'll do anything.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a fun story. And actually that came out the same time as the as another fun video did. Oh that's right, Yeah, it's the same time that.
Speaker 3: We had a Monster talk listener. Give us some additional info on that.
Speaker 1: Right, the Icelandic worm?
Speaker 3: What's that? How do you pronounce the rule?
Speaker 1: I know you were gonna say that. I shouldn't have said anything.
Speaker 5: You've been practicing.
Speaker 1: Hang on, I gotta, I gotta, I gotta find the correct pronunciation is lagger flat ser.
Speaker 4: Murine, bless you yay.
Speaker 1: And I know I did that wrong because I can't do the Icelandic thing with the fl J. I've been told, Yeah, it's gonna sound stupid when you say it, but good enough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, it's fine, it's fine.
Speaker 1: It's the lager flat worm.
Speaker 4: Oh I like that, Yeah, the lagger worm. So what's the recap on that one?
Speaker 1: Well, there's this glacial river in Iceland, and so it was it was very icy and it's flowing out of the glacier. And this was in February or maybe end of January when it was actually taken. And it really looks like something going through the water with a rather large snakelike head and then undulating behind it through the icy water. And immediately when you see snake in icy water, you know, things clash. That just doesn't work like that. Snakes don't go in icy water. They can't. So this thing, very snake like was was filmed and we had this cool video of something looking really weird through the water and looks like an ice worm. And there was a legend about the worm in the lake. So that's what the filmmaker attributed to that it was this ice worm. He had evidence of this ice worm and it really wasn't.
Speaker 3: Actually a small clarification of that, didn't he actually just submit the video in the news agency.
Speaker 1: Oh did they?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think they attributed it is there I have been.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, as I recalled, because I wrote something on that for Discovery News and as I recall, what had happened was that he had sent it in just sort of as this weird thing. And it wasn't clear whether he himself, I know that he himself didn't call it the ice worm, I even trying to pronounce it, but he just sent it in as something weird. And my recollection is that it was promptly mislabeled, either intentionally or accidentally, certainly for sensationalism, as as the as the Icelandic river monster. And then it then it went out from there.
Speaker 5: But there was a local legend about that creature or a creature like that.
Speaker 1: There was in the lake. Yeah, yes, and it was just it was a really cool video.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, it looked cool. It was definitely interesting. It just I think what one of our listeners pointed out was it's not actually making any movement, like uh, forward or backward movement, and it's actually stationary with the way the river's moving is what it seems like it's moving. It's stationary but writhing like the water is actually driving it.
Speaker 1: So and it and it turned out to be a net of some sort, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: And the other thing is a lot of people attributed it to a hoax, and that's not necessarily a hoax. A guy saw something weird in the river. You know, it doesn't mean he hoaxed, that he just took the video. So I think a hoax is kind of like a lie. It implies intent, right, misidentification.
Speaker 4: So yeah, then I'm glad you. I was gonna say, I'm glad you brought to the blake because I think that that's that was one of the important sort of lessons that I took from from the Icelandic River Monster was exactly as you were just saying, is that it's you know, the the assumption oftentimes is immediately, oh, it's fake, but that doesn't really answer the question. I mean, it's fake in that it's not real, but there's definitely a valid question of intent to deceive. And certainly in that case, it's pretty clear that the guy that took the video didn't intend to deceive anybody. Uh and you know the people at the TV station again, did they were they intending to? I mean, who knows. It could be it was sent to some you know, some lackey producer who thought that's what it was, and it would have been a simple, you know, an honest mistake. But it's it's I think it's always important to look at you know, the attempt to deceive and not not be too quick to label something of hopes.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think that the recent Denver ufo slash insects flying video. I think that's a really good example where the media is getting a lot of attention and it's definitely not in their best business interest to acknowledge that there's a clear and obvious explanation besides UFOs are flying in and out of Denver.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they've been dragging that one out for a while.
Speaker 3: That's easy.
Speaker 5: The guy who submitted the film as well was a little bit cagy h and I think there's a bit more.
Speaker 3: To that story could be.
Speaker 4: Has he now been identified?
Speaker 5: No? No, still he hasn't come forward.
Speaker 4: Huh.
Speaker 3: Anonymous you can always sort of question that, though you do you really should? I mean, I'm sure there are really valid reasons why you'd want to remain anonymous, But like people who anonymously submit bigfoot videos and and yeah, that's that's a that's a red flag.
Speaker 5: But you know, all of the UFOs have disappeared now, and they'll come back next spring, of.
Speaker 3: Course they will. There'll be new ones, though the old ones will be dead because their life cycles are just not anyway, So yeah, my favorite category of monster really is the real monsters that are washing up on the shores of rivers and beaches around the country.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The last time I was on I recall, Karen asked if there was any good carcasses, you know, that had washed up, but it was early in the year, and I said, well, we have to wait till the summer. Sure enough, in July. Well there was one earlier in California that washed up, and that was a great one because when that washed up, it looked so plastic and fake. I thought for sure it was a hoax. But you know, friend of Monster Talk Darren Nasche looked at it and said, it's an apossum, and sure enough it was. And that was that was given a fancy name, the San Diego Demonoid, and you know, so that got some some play in the media, but not as much as the East River Monster, which washed up in New York City off off the East River in the summer, and it was this bloating balls that yeah carcass, and it looked like if you'd poked it, it was going to explode. And I've heard people tell me don't ever do that, because they do explode.
Speaker 3: Too, and it's the worst smell you've ever experienced.
Speaker 1: This actually happens, so don't poke it with a stick.
Speaker 5: It happened.
Speaker 3: I wish you know. Of course, the real key is when you're going to take a picture of a monster that you find on the shore, always puts something that has a good frame size for reference. You throw a dollar down through a quick order down, but something next to us, you can tell how big it is.
Speaker 1: Right, And I also learned that you should always try to get the teeth and the feet. Those are also indicative. Yeah, because it seemed that the teeth especially are very unique to different families of animals, so if it becomes rather easy to pick them up. Because at that point the Easter monster, the woman who had taken the pictures did a couple angles, and but the pictures weren't quite so great. She couldn't really see too much inside the mouth. But she actually did come onto my website and talk to me a bit about it and said it was just a really weird thing she took pictures of and then it just went went all over the media something really bizarre and cool. But they were able to figure out it was a raccoon.
Speaker 3: That's fun, those darn raccoons.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 5: Nice to get a nanso.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course. I mean you have to kind of blame evolution a little bit. All these mammals when you get all their fur off, they look kind of alike.
Speaker 1: And unusual.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well that the rotting, you know, does make them look unusual. But I mean they got four legs ahead TLT you know. I mean, but it is if you're not trained and you don't know the size, they do look weird.
Speaker 5: But it like we're not used to saying things like that.
Speaker 3: So, but I mean misidentification. I think it counts for a lot of monster sightings because you see an unusual animal you don't know what it is. All the things we talk about on this show, it's like if you look at twenty twelve, you can just see all the key points, you know, pulled together here for you.
Speaker 1: Well, one last thing on the unidentified carcasses, I mean, darren Naishall also identified the Montalk Monster, which was also a raccoon. To this day, people still talk about the Montalk Monster. Do they talk about it being a raccoon. Not usually, They still talk about the legend of it being some sort of mutant animal that washed up from Plumb Island.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: It was mutants, genetics experiments, and exactly evil government goings on.
Speaker 3: So this was also the year of Mermaids. That's kind of weird. Yeah, it really was.
Speaker 1: They really got popular this year.
Speaker 3: They come back, not the little mermaid kind, the creepy, real pseudo documentary kind.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the ones that might bite your face off. They were kind of nasty too, and people got afraid of them because for some reason they thought that that was real.
Speaker 3: Yeah, bust their hearts it actually, I think, you know a lot of the listeners to the show were kind of we're not a lot a few of the listeners of the show complained that we were so hard on that documentary not documentary, rephrase that right, Yeah, that show, the Animal Planet, Mermaids, the Body Found show. I just yeah, it would have been a great horror film, and it was maybe superior to a lot of the you know, squid octopus versus mecha shark kind of things that they have on the Sci Fi Channel. I may have just invented a new show.
Speaker 4: Someone just picked it up and renewed it.
Speaker 3: But what really it wasn't just the fact that it was a fake thing about mermaids. It was also the fact that they to sort of shore up the show's authenticity, they pulled from the aquatic ape theory excuse me hypothesis, which is a thoroughly discredited hypothesis, and then they gave it screen time. And for a lot of people, something being mentioned on a documentary is equal to it being a true fact.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they really they scienced it up a lot, and people don't know.
Speaker 3: Right, and all the actors on the show were pretending to be scientists. It was supposed to seem true.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: The format was you know, documentary, right, and and there again there was I liked the style of it. I just didn't like the you know, I feel a little bit and I feel I don't want to complain, how do you feel? It bugs me that they could have done something much better and that they gave strength to something that should die. Right, So the the aquatic gate hypothesis, I'm gonna whatever, it should go away because it's not real. And and the problem is that every crappy idea that anybody can get out of their mouth can live on the internet forever. And if you put something on a television show, it lives longer, you know, and maybe us talking about it's the worst thing we can do in.
Speaker 1: A way that backfire effect.
Speaker 3: So I'm going to move on. Let's get to a monsture that is real and is terrifying. Zombies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the zombie apocalypse. That was a buzzword in the summer or early part of the summer, where people got really scared that there actually were disturbed people running around eating other people. And I don't know if it was just the media picking up on the one story and then finding other stories that were similar, which is often what happens, or if there really was this strange grouping of the same type of stories altogether at once where you had these incidents where people were attacking other people in this way. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it seemed to me like it was the first story happened, and then other reporters were like, Wow, that story has legs. Can we find any more stories like that where people are biting each other?
Speaker 4: Just fabricating epidemic? They do it all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So this this whole the main story, the one that came out of Florida. It opened up with this allegation that a guy who was on some kind of drug called bath salts had gone out of his mind on this drug and was attacking another guy, and then they ultimately had to shoot him, but he had chewed the guy's face off. Right from the very get go. That story was odd, and not just the part about him eating another guy's face. The story as it was released was all about this bath Salts drug. It was a very odd story because I had never heard of bath salts before, and all of a sudden it became like this hot topic tied to this attack.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I think a lot of people thought they were real both salts.
Speaker 3: Well, that's true. That's the other thing is because I mean, are we going to have pure one zombies attacking is I was really worried, but I was like, I took all my ind records out of the house just to be safe.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 4: So no.
Speaker 3: I just thought it was odd because it reminded me a lot of those stories from the seventies and eighties about PCP uh pausing crazy crimes, and it's like, does PCP really cause crazy crimes or is that like cop folklore? Right? Uh?
Speaker 4: You know, Well, one of the things that that tend to get lost in the in the whole hubbub was that, as it turned out, he hadn't used bad exactly. It was he was high on marijuana. I'm not bath salts. So you know, so people were just repeating and going on the story, Oh my god, you know our kids today having baths salts, and they're going to be you know, we're gonna have the zombie apocalypse. And then and then finally the toxicology tests come back a couple weeks later and they're like, uh no, there's there's nothing.
Speaker 3: To do this now. I just want to remember that well right, well, you know, right exactly, you have to do some follow up. So just for the record, I just want to say that, you know, this guy, the attacker and the victim, you know, they were both people. They were both humans, They had families, you know, and it's a tragedy. It's also the worst case of the munchies I've ever heard of.
Speaker 1: So then the Center for Disease Control had to come back and say, really, there aren't zombies.
Speaker 3: Oh and there aren't mermaids either.
Speaker 1: They had to Yeah, I know, I had to tell people that.
Speaker 3: This is the year the government makes just all calm. They should just have trucks driving around saying there's no need to panic, stay in your homes.
Speaker 1: And cover up.
Speaker 5: You know that.
Speaker 3: I I will throw out that from the fictional world. The season three of The Walking Dead has been almost like a heartfelt apology for season two. I feel great about it. So what else happened in twenty twelve? Oh, they were going to go to Africa using a Kickstarter to look for michaela mbmbe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a great story.
Speaker 3: How did that turn out?
Speaker 4: They found it? Right?
Speaker 1: I read about that, they turned around and came home.
Speaker 3: Oh did they make it all the way to Africa?
Speaker 1: I believe they did. And so this this group of kids, and I'm just I'm imagining the stereotype, these clean cut church going kids, you know, get to I get their idea. They're gonna go look for giant spiders and Molkelly Bavenbe and they're gonna come back. They're in a film it and they're gonna be famous. They're gonna make a documentary and everything is going to be really cool. And so hey, let's go on Kickstarter. And they got twenty nine thousand dollars well for their project, and which was over I think what they needed. Well, it turns out they get the small group of them get to the Congo. Meanwhile, the rest of us standing here saying don't go. It's stage is. Don't you know what goes on over there? It's not safe. They went, and they apparently got a pile of equipment, and they had to take food with them, they had to get guides and everything. By the time they got ready to go. From the story that I heard, because I did follow up on it, some of their equipment may have been stolen. They didn't have enough money in their budget to go for the three months that they wanted to. There were no scientists on the project, so I don't know how they were going to identify new species, and they weren't experienced in any of this really dangerous land and this dangerous adventure they were going on. And they turned around and came home the end, the website went down, and I don't know where the money went. I think according to Kickstarter rules, you're supposed to return it.
Speaker 3: Well, if they went to Africa, I mean, it's surely it's worth something.
Speaker 4: While I was gonna say that, I'm glad that you did a follow up on that, because it's you know, far too often in these cryptozoology cases, you know, the the initial headline makes the news and oh my god, blah blah blah, and you know, the rejoinder and the outcome is sort of lost in the lost in it either doesn't get reported period or gets lost in the shovel. So I was pleased to see that you did a follow up on doubtful News.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was just sitting around one day thinking, whatever happened to those kids?
Speaker 4: Are they dead? Are they membe?
Speaker 1: I was concerned. I was concerned that they would be dead or lost in the in the jungle, and so I tried to look some stuff up and found that revealing piece by the one person that was told, oh yeah, we don't have a room for you. So he was sent back. And then it turns out that they all ended up, you know, failure didn't work out.
Speaker 3: They found machilamammbay, they disproved evolution, and now they're on the lecture circuit. Yeah. No, oh, I worry.
Speaker 1: I said, I actually worried about those kids.
Speaker 3: They no, I did know for real. Yeah that's a very dangerous, crazy thing to do. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't I don't really have anything constructed to say to them except I hope they learned something.
Speaker 1: I'm sure.
Speaker 4: Well, I'll just add that I looked into their their expedition and I wrote a little bit about it, and I'm looking at this and I'm like, you people don't have a clue what the hell you're doing. It was just, you know, they just you know. I was reading their their bios and it's it's it's like Sharon said, it's like a couple of kids were like, Hey, this will be cool, let's go do this. I'm like, have you do you know what? Do you speak the language? Do you do you know what language they speak in Congo? Have you been to Africa? Do you do you have a big enough net? What the hell are you doing?
Speaker 3: Have you have you rented and watched the movie Congo?
Speaker 4: Exactly?
Speaker 5: Raise that much money?
Speaker 1: Though? Well, it's sounded like a great idea. I think that, you know, people thought it was a great idea and they had the same delusions as they did. There was also rumored that they didn't get the permits they needed or whatever.
Speaker 3: But rides right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, to be fair, I mean, there there have been expeditions to to you know for Mochalla Membe. You know, Roy and Michael did a couple and things like that, And the difference is that is that you know, they were he was well funded, and they'd actually been in Africa before and they had at least some vague prayer of doing what they set out to accomplish and including having some actual expertise unlike this gang and planning.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah. For more about Mikaela by Vimbe, you can go back and listen to our interview with Don Prothee. That was great, it was it was Don Don does not hold back.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: So twenty twelve obviously a great for Nasi.
Speaker 4: No what.
Speaker 1: No. She didn't show up very often. Sightings were down, it seemed, and the people on the lock were getting a little worried. Gee, she's not showing up, and that's not good because when she does show up, then more people come to the lock and look for So this strange photo appeared in August Bye and it was done by George Edwards, who runs i think like a boating surface on the lake and the picture was very odd. She just looked at the picture. It didn't look like an animal, didn't look like it was moving or it didn't look like it was swimming correctly, and it was just sort of a hump coming out of the water and you could see her castle in the background and stuff. And about a week later or so, not that that many days later a picture surface of George Edwards actually pulling this hump, fiberglass hump on his vote and turned out that somebody, Steve Feltham, who works at the lock. I'm not sure exactly what he does, but his researcher there and he says, yeah, that's the fiberglass hump we built about ten years ago, and it was used in a documentary about the lock, and George Edwards knew about it. He had worked with it. He helped with the documentary. Funny this picture should show up. Meanwhile, Edwards had this story about authenticating the picture here in the US that he sent to military experts. I don't know why our military experts would be experts on lake monsters from Scotland, but he thought that that added credibility to the story. And the best part was like what he was once quoted in the newspaper about it. He says that mister Feltham was entitled to his opinion about you know what the picture represented, and said that people who make their livelihoods from the lock should be happy it's in the news. That line right there told me everything I needed to know that the Edwards was intent on getting some attention, and he succeeded. Hoax or not.
Speaker 4: Well, as I recalled, part of the story was that that the he had actually been selling postcards of that image like months earlier before before it even allegedly you know, came out. We're like, well, that's odd, you've had it for a while now. Curious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know how people think we won't figure that out eventually.
Speaker 5: I guess a lot don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. They don't look that far, you know. And and again maybe people didn't realize that that photo was actually they actually came up with an explanation for it because all they remember seeing was the picture in the daily Mail.
Speaker 4: Well, that actually leads to another issue, another thing that came up in the field of cryptosology and cryptosological organizations this year, which is that, if I'm not mistaken, doctor Carl Schucker issued the first actual new journal of cryptoology in years and years.
Speaker 3: Yes, I have a copy.
Speaker 4: Why don't you tell us about it, Blake.
Speaker 3: It is in a compact format, has a nice cover in the articles after a curse re look look wonderful. And I wish I could say I've read it. I have not had time because I just got it about a week ago, two weeks ago maybe, and but it's at the very top of my must read pile.
Speaker 4: Well i've read it, I mean I can. I was. I wasn't trying to put you on the spot, but.
Speaker 3: I have not read it. It's got a leopard on the front if I remember.
Speaker 4: No, I mean, the only reason I think it's it's it's worthy of note is again that you know Carl Schucker is a zoologist, and he is he is one of the eminent crypts as wellist certainly the science based ones in the world. And it's kind of refreshing to see a reasonably science based publication for that. So I certainly wish it the best of luck.
Speaker 3: And we have two previous Monster Talk guests are on the review board, if I remember correctly, Darren Nash and David Waldron.
Speaker 4: I believe that sounds right.
Speaker 1: So it's a king cheetah on the cover, isn't it not? A leopard.
Speaker 3: It's a spotted cat.
Speaker 4: I don't know, it's a feline. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: That was a king cheetah.
Speaker 3: Actually that I did read the intro and explain why the image was selected to represent the magazine. All right, Sharon, so tell me about these local terrors. What's this section about?
Speaker 1: Oh well, this is sort of the Hodgepodge section.
Speaker 3: Oh it's a Poe Prie of yes, okay.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 1: It's it's you know, your local neighborhood monsters. And over the year I collect these stories that came out of India or Africa or even in the US. There was a couple or one in Mexico where we had these strange creatures were said to have appeared and caused havoc. So we had a real creature, real monster. Was that a man eating leopard in Nepaul that actually killed fifteen people And I don't know how that turned out, but I mean, that's a real life monster, you know, hearkening back to the wolf tales of an animal actually finding it easier to kill and eat people don't find any other food. So that was that was kind of scary. And then we had a cheapcabrera incident in Mexico where the sheep deaths were blamed on this mystery monster. That story just did not pan out. I mean I saw the video and and do you remember that. I think you wrote on that too. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I wrote a little bit about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this was Yeah, one animal was dead, pretty much, right.
Speaker 4: I mean they made it sound like, you know, like hundreds of sheep were found eviscerated in every drop of blood, blah blah blah. And and they're like, oh, like, yeah, look there's one dead sheep. Probably have a heart attack. Yeah, nothing to see here, move on.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And and in the media they had a magic creature, black magic creature, scared for the village. Yeah, and as wan as Wang in the Philippines, I know it was some ghoul they call it. Uh, it's sort of like a vampire type creature. And they had to have the archbishop come in and says, look, it's it's not real. Don't worry, don't freak out people, It's just a story. And in Mumbai you had the same issue. People are scared of these creatures roaming in the night and they attribute it to these magical supernatural beings. And I'm not sure what it is if it's people going around actually robbing the houses or terrorizing the people on purpose or what. But it really scares the people in these villages, and they happen sometimes I guess to be superstitious enough to buy into this folklore story that there's something evil this way comes. But and then the goblins in Zimbabwe was the same thing goblins, And I'm not sure if their goblins are the same as what we think about as goblins, but sort of evil creatures that go into your houses and set fires and cause disease. And well, it was funny because the one story about the goblins in Zimbabwe, they were attributing these house fires to this goblin and this one family would be pelted with stones, dirt was thrown into their food as they were cooking it, and then fires would be lit in the houses and they were always happened around this one sixteen year old member of the family that he would walk into the house and then he would run out of the house saying, there's a fire. Well, pulta gust. It was very Poultergeist like. Yes, and so, but they do believe, not only do they believe in goblins in that area, I guess, but they also believe in mermaids. That caused some trouble in Zimbabwe as well. They were building a dam and the men said, oh, there's mermaids there. I'm not going near the water, and they had to have a beer ceremony to appease them.
Speaker 4: Yes, Oh, very important to try that one. I've done that myself.
Speaker 3: You know, it's interesting. I mean, Africa is a huge continent and it's got an amazing diversity of people and cultures and religions, but so many horrifying stories of superstition related death and tragedy comes out of that place. It's amazing to me. The witch the witchcraft, you know, people uh uh doing what do you like, sympathetic magic where they kill animals to get their power, people killing albino people their powers. Yeah, it's just uh uh, people killing homosexuals people. It's just it's it's just there's it's the whole continent gets a bad rap because of superstition, and it's not I mean, it's probably not really fair. I don't know how widespread those activities are, but it only takes one or two, uh you know, magic based killings to really ruin the whole you know, reputation of your continent.
Speaker 4: I think a lot of that is is centered around East Africa primarily, not really Saharan Africa. I mean interestingly, if you if you look at some of the stories that come out of you know, Molly or Libya or Chad, uh, they don't don't really have the sorts of beliefs and and you know, quite as strong witchcraft beliefs as you see.
Speaker 3: In Islamic instead of animistic though, right.
Speaker 4: Well, well that's part of it. Although well they but they have different I mean, what you find coming out of places like like Morocco and Libya are more genie based in Gin things like that, so you have you have more Koran based entities and monsters and spectors.
Speaker 3: They still have plenty of superstition, but I guess it's it's uh, it takes a different framework.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it definitely does.
Speaker 1: And another thing we saw was some of those people who left and came to like the UK, brought those superstitions with them and they ended up with these beliefs living in the UK and actually torturing children and you know.
Speaker 3: A torturing boy die it's children and killing a child. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the States too, yeah, exorcism deaths. Yeah, there was a number of those.
Speaker 5: But I want to know about the giant eyeball.
Speaker 1: That was my favorite story of the year.
Speaker 3: Let's put a lid on that one.
Speaker 4: No, oh, he meant eyeball lid.
Speaker 3: Oh fine.
Speaker 1: There was a lot of good jokes about that one. It was it was it was, you know, target for easy good jokes on that one. But yeah, the giant eyeball was like my favorite story again because you knew it would have an eventual answer, and the answer could be really cool, like Cthulhu or giant squid or some new animal that we didn't know about, but it ended up being.
Speaker 3: Oh so just give it a little framework because we're just started talking about a giant eyeball.
Speaker 5: Good enough.
Speaker 3: It washed up, okay, washed.
Speaker 1: Up on Pompino Beach, Florida, and I guess people walking along the beach, you know, eyed it up and picked it up and luckily gave it to the right people and they put it on ice and it was shipped away to be study. But actually, when the story first came out, one of the first stories that came out, it was suggested that it was not a squid eye that the way that they could look at it same like we talked about with the teeth and the feet. There are some distinguishing features of an eye that you could tell whether it probably came from a cephal pod or a fish or a mammal, And in this case, they were pretty sure it had come from a fish, a deep sea fish that needed very large eyes to see in dark water. So they speculated about what it was, and then they actually did send it away and they figured out that it was from a swordfish, that it had been cut out of the swordfish with a knife and probably discarded in the water, and so it floated onto the beach and was pretty quickly picked up because they normally would not have lasted very long.
Speaker 3: As monstrous things go. This is actually a really pretty eye. I mean, it's got that really beautiful bluish gray. I don't know if you think it's beautiful. Maybe I'm just weird, but I think at least cool it was.
Speaker 1: It was great visuals for that story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you think it was hal probably not big cats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people were seeing lions and tigers where they shouldn't be. These out of place animals that I can't pronounce. That town in Washington can you the tiger one is that how you pronounce it?
Speaker 3: That's how I pronounce it. But that's not right.
Speaker 1: Probably I don't know what it is. Yeah, yeah, something like that.
Speaker 4: I'm pretty sure it's not that Well.
Speaker 1: Anyway, the way the story came out, it was like two independent witnesses saw a Bengal tiger walking down this rural road and it caused instead of panic, it caused everybody to come and start looking for So you had all these trucks, pick up trucks, people in the back of their trucks looking for this animal, and they never found a thing. So what did these two people see? Tigers? Pretty distinctive. So end of story, that's that nothing happened. Then in August we had a similar story come out in Essex in the UK, where they said these people said that they looked at their window and they saw this large cat in a field and it looked like a lion, and they told their neighbor, and their neighbors said, oh yeah, I saw that too, it looks like a lion. And then it just it blew up into this media sensation and it turned out there was there was fake pictures being distributed by the Daily Mail there were actually zoologists that we're out looking for it. They said, no, really, we all our zoos have their accounted numbers of lions here. There's no escaping lion that we think is out there. It turned out to be somebody's cat.
Speaker 5: Yeah, do mystic I.
Speaker 3: Think when we have. In fact, ironically, when we were going to have Darren Nashan for this round up, and I'm really glad you could make a Sharon on so short notice. Darren is one of his favorite topics is these alien big cats. And you know, I think when he was here last time, he suggested that he was pretty sure that there was at least one alien species, not from another planet, but just the misplaced species that had taken up residents in the UK. But these big cat reports are all the time, and people are always seeing cats.
Speaker 1: I think their house cats grow really large.
Speaker 3: Well that's the other thing is people just don't understand how easy it is to misjudge the size of something. And if you see an all black cat and it's stalking an animal, if that cat looks a lot like a big cat, I mean, you know, unless you're trained to notice the ears look different and the tail looks different. I mean, in other ways, they do look very similar. Domesticated cats did come from more aggressive, larger, less domestic breeds, so they had the same kind of structure in a lot of ways to the untrained eye.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it could be if they're seeing them against some vegetation. The vegetation is not necessarily as big as it appears. So the cat was larger or.
Speaker 3: Right exactly, but it is easy to make that mistake, you know.
Speaker 1: And there were a couple stories like that. There were other ones where the cat was in the garden and people got a little freaked out about it, took the picture and then later realized after they'd called the news that said there's a big cat in our yard. And then this happened to be I think in Washington State where there actually are mountain lions, and that's what they thought was in their yard. It turned out to be the neighbor's cat, but they were it was in their backyard, but yet they messed up on the size.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Another another thing is, as as Searon mentioned, there were there were several hoax photos that were going around, either of actual lions but taken you know, either in a zoo or in a game bark and that were you know, said to be in the in the countryside, or or just you know photoshop stuff. But you know, sometimes what you can do is if you if you take a photo something, especially with today's high resolution cameras and stuff, you can you know what they'll print is they'll print this cropped image of the cat that makes it look big in the frame. But if you if you see the whole frame, it's tiny. You know. So there of course they're zooming in to to to get the most detail, but you know, the lack of context makes it, as you point out, just impossible to know the size.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're running out of time, so let's quickly some of these last two topics you have out laid here.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, the thylas scene video went around a little bit. That was It was actually a nice video. It was sort of nostalgic. You know, look this beautiful thyloscene. It's missing, we miss it. You know, it's gone, it's extinct and isn't that awful? But maybe this one's real? And it turned out it wasn't. It was it was a hoax. I don't know if it was promoting the movie The Hunter that was going around at the time. I think it was about the Thiloscene Hunter, so that that could have been related to that. But yeah, this, this final story I thought was fantastic vampire in Serbia, not only a vampire. It was sort of like the ghost of a vampire. And he turned into a butterfly instead of a bat. It was just great. It was a great story. And then he had his own website and his own Twitter account and he was photo bombing things and it was it was.
Speaker 3: So did you get a sense? Okay, So in this place, if I remember correctly, this was the one where there was a local legend that this building had housed a vampire at one point.
Speaker 1: Correct this, this man named Sava Savonovich lived in this former water mill and people were always afraid to go to the mill because he would grab you and kill you. And one day the old mill building collapsed, and the rumor was that t Sava was now looking for a new home, so he was a threat to the nearby villages, and people started hearing things in the woods, footsteps, and there was actually I'm trying to think, because it's in the Balkans, they have very strong vampire legends there and.
Speaker 5: They originated, and yes it didn't they be that on pale.
Speaker 1: Story, And I'm not sure if they still believe it or they just enjoy it.
Speaker 3: That's what I was trying to figure out, and I couldn't.
Speaker 1: From what I was reading, it.
Speaker 3: Definitely had strong elements of folklore. If you were an adult, it would be the kind of thing you would tell your kids to scare them. So I just am curious, like, is this is this something that adults tell their children to scare them or is this something that people really take seriously. I'd heard stories they were giving out wooden crosses, but I didn't know if that was like, you know, is that just something they made up? Is that real? Or is it for you know, tourism.
Speaker 1: I got a I had a very strong feeling that this was tourism related.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I wonder if it's like the Papa Bawa Hayban.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I certainly could be right along those lines.
Speaker 1: That they that they did want to capitalize on this story and bring people into this poor village that didn't really have anything else going for it, but why not bring them in with a good story? And we see that all over the place. It's becoming more and more common invent a paranormal story if you have to or capitalize on one that already exists, and you build it and people will come.
Speaker 3: Well, that seems to be true.
Speaker 4: Let's see much like a brothel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, it's probably not fair that that you know that ghost hunters and monster hunters get all the great tourist trips we you know, I know they do like some skeptical cruises and stuff where they go to the premieer Triangle, but it seems like some monster hunting trips to Europe should be in order, and that they really ought to take some muster talk people, yeah along with them. That would be fun. So that's twenty twelve in a nutshell, Sharon. I just want to say that I've been really impressed with how you've taken this monster news and paranormal news and done such a great job of giving a skeptical voice to these stories. It's just been really nice.
Speaker 1: To thank you.
Speaker 5: Very needed, yeah.
Speaker 3: Very much needed. And your site looks great and I feel like I never get to beat you to a story, so that's.
Speaker 5: Amazing.
Speaker 3: I'm sure you've got some really great Google alerts and some really great readers who submit stuff to you.
Speaker 1: So often it's looking at the sites that nobody else looks at, because there are a lot of paranormal sites, and they will treat these stories as at face value, and it just raises all these red flags with people who just think a little bit about them. There's something else going on here, and that's what makes them fun to look at. What else is going on?
Speaker 3: Well, you're doing good work. You and Torkle both so high.
Speaker 1: Hi there, Yeah, we have a lot of fun with these stories.
Speaker 3: We would have had him on two, but then we'd ended up talking about wrestling the whole time, so that's no guest.
Speaker 1: Be sure.
Speaker 5: I will keep up the great work for twenty thirteen, absolutely.
Speaker 3: And we'll try to do better ourselves.
Speaker 5: Yeah, room improvement.
Speaker 3: Well. Happy new year from Monster Talk and Doubtful News.
Speaker 4: Yeah, happy new year, more monster.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening to another episode of Monster Talk. You just heard a recap of Monster News from twenty twelve. Thankfully the world didn't end and we can look forward to another year of monsters and weirdness. Hopefully you'll come back and hear us talk about more. Twenty thirteen will have more zombies, more shape shifters, more magical mysteries to uncover. Thanks again to everyone who's contributed to our transcript program. Be sure to go to monster Talk dot org or Skeptic dot com to see the transcripts of previous shows. Got a favorite muster you want us to talk about, Send us an email or come talk to us on the Monster Talk Facebook group. They're a lively bunch and hardly bite at all. This show is produced with the amazing support of the good folks at Skeptic Magazine. I want to give a special thanks to William Bull, the tireless webmaster who helps us get each show ready. Every time that we managed to squeeze went out. He's an unsung hero, but some talented folk singer will probably fix that someday. The opinions expressed on this show, while totally awesome, are not necessarily the opinions of the Skeptic Society or Skeptic Magazine. Speaking of which, would you like to know what the actual opinions of the Skeptic Society or Skeptic Magazine are? Why not subscribe to Skeptic Magazine or e Skeptic Today. Monster Talk theme music's by Pete Stealing Monkeys and this next little tune is by Jelly See you in twenty thirteen.
Speaker 2: Did you know that you can now subscribe to Skeptic Magazine digitally? Just grab our free Skeptic Magazine app currently compatible with iOS, Android, PC, mac, Kindlefire, Kindlefire HD, and BlackBerry Playbook. Head over to skeptic dot com slash Magazine slash app to find out more and download more of your favorite Skeptic content.
Speaker 1: I have a subduction theory of memory. Yeah, that our memories.
Speaker 3: Buy your memory some wine and maybe play some jazz.
Speaker 1: Subduct out