Speaker 1: I'm Ali. I came out after twenty years of marriage and I have three kids.
Speaker 2: I'm Melissa and I have two kids, and I came out at thirty seven after an eleven year marriage.
Speaker 1: This podcast is about coming out later and the struggles and victories that come with it.
Speaker 2: When coming out feels like the end of the world, but it's really just the beginning.
Speaker 1: This is the Lesbian Chronicles. Welcome to the Lesbian Chronicles, Alane.
Speaker 3: When I commended Forever in her experience.
Speaker 1: When I recommended it to our friend, the filmmaker, I won't say any names. I was thinking it would be like a fun like foreplay for them. What let's go?
Speaker 3: Oh my god? Okay, give the details on what happened to New York City.
Speaker 1: Okay, guys, as many of you know, I've been in New York for my birthday. I'm home now. But while I was there, we went to and when I say we, I mean me and my twenty two year old Okay, she's very mature, very feminist, cidified like this isn't like a girl who gets pushed around. Okay, So I'm just gonna say that to start, and obviously neither am I. So we go to get a massage, and we specifically go in an area that's known for like cheap but good massages. Okay, okay, okay, And it's not far from these village. So we walked from my hotel to the place that I actually picked a different place, and Tatum said, yuck, that place is gross. We're not going there, like pick or I'll tell you, I'll pick somewhere. So she picked this place, so let's also say she picked it. And we get there and it's great, they check you in whatever, but all of a sudden and there's like a screen, there's like a curtain between my bed and Tatum's bed.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay.
Speaker 1: The massage is like you know, normally in a massage you do like half on your stomach, half on your back. Yeah, this massage was seventy to eighty percent. I can't say it. I'm on my stomach seventy to eighty percent thigh ass okay. And so I always wear underwear and massages, but like my underwear were like pulled slightly down and like they had originally had a blanket over all of me. That then I realized by the end, there's like no blanket, but I don't know when you're getting a massage. I don't even know that that fully matters that much, because why do you care if you see my arm? Just my arm, like you've already seen my ass now at this point, and I haven't flipped over yet. But okay, so we're getting the massage, and I don't see what's happening in her booth. I only know what's happening in my booth, and what's happening in my booth is nothing that goes too far, but it goes far enough that I'm like, what I'm planning in my mind what I'm going to say if it goes to the next step, which what I was going to say if it went to the next step was I'm just not interested, Like I'm not interested. And meanwhile, I don't even know who's doing it, because you know, when they walk in, you're changed on your stomach.
Speaker 3: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: Okay, So when he came in, I didn't even know who it was. I had no clue what's happening.
Speaker 3: Did he say anything like my name is Randy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe sure, but like I'm laying down not even thinking about it.
Speaker 3: He's not female.
Speaker 1: I knew male, and I knew that. He was like, is the pressure good? He started easy enough, like you're on, he's in my shoulders, He's doing the whole thing. But this and sash progresses and it's like he's getting highly focused on like where your thigh needs your ass okay, And then I'm like, look, it does kind of feel good. And I had done a lot of squats. Oh my god, and I'm like, I'm not like hating it, Like I don't know what to say, like I'm not hating it, and it's not going too far, but it's like in my head, I'm thinking, this is how shit happens.
Speaker 3: Is he testing the water.
Speaker 1: He's testing the waters, okay, And I'm not putting up a fight at this point, Like I'm like, it does feel good. I did a bunch of lunches and squats, and I'm like this is I probably need it there, right, But then he takes this is where it gets like this is my experience if anyone's ever been like assaulted, clearly this isn't funny. But he didn't sexually assault me, but he just did things that did like I see how massages can turn into something because it felt fucking good and if I had been in a different situation, I would have been into it for sure. Okay, So he's I might even even like I see how it happens. Okay. So he's there, and then he has me on my stomach. He puts my leg like in a you know, like a figure four or like you like you you like put your It's almost like you're gonna stretch. But he folds one leg over the other. I don't know whether you call it. Tatum called it butterfly. I call it figure four because it was just like one leg out, okay. And then he's working on that one. But while he's working on that one, and again the whole massage, that part of the massage was like the lion's.
Speaker 3: Share of the stomach stone.
Speaker 1: I'm on my stomach, okay, and now my legs are a little bit more spread because he's like doing butterfly. And while he's massaging, like obviously like his knuckle like it's like you could feel it kind of touching you there, Okay, but not inside because I have underwear. But when you're pulled in that position, it's like holy shit. So in my mind, I'm laying there, I'm like a it feels good, but also like be prepared to like say not interested.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, you got the wrong idea.
Speaker 1: You got the wrong idea. So the massage finishes. It was a great massage, like no two places.
Speaker 3: Focus, well that's happening, or like relax.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's it into my head. I'm really good at like I was. I mean in my mind. When I turned over and saw who it was, I was like the fantasy was crushed like that.
Speaker 3: He looks like.
Speaker 1: We're done here. But then like I finished it out, no worries, and then like right after it's over, okay, we pull I pulled the curtain back, and she looks at me and she's like like she like literally was like oh my god. And I'm like wait what same, and she's like let's get out of here, like we have so much to talk about. So we both and her guy was like younger buff. My guy was not that. So we get outside and she literally is like, oh my god, I've got to smoke a joint and like process what just went down in there? She's like holy shit, and everything she described, which kind of made me feel better, is exactly what happened to me.
Speaker 3: So it was just their protocols.
Speaker 1: Well then I'm like, it's just their vertical to do seventy to eighty percent at the ass thigh line, Oh my god, and with the half kind of getting really close to the goods.
Speaker 3: Oh like, how does this work? Do they do this? Under?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: And their busy as fuck?
Speaker 3: If the woman starts to get a little into it, then I.
Speaker 1: Wasn't raising my ass, I wasn't doing anything that was signaled. I wasn't frozen in fear. I was relaxed as fuck and like not putting.
Speaker 3: Up a fight. I don't know what I would have done.
Speaker 1: But then I thought they were mobbed, and so I started thinking, damn, like there's a market for this, like just turn me on enough, but don't cross the line. There's a total market for this impact. It's like we all have this understanding that like I'm not going to tell you, you're not going to tell me, and we're going to go to this place and like let this shit happen and just kind of look the other way and walk out, because nothing really did happen. It was a gray area.
Speaker 2: That's so interesting because also you've been to that spa up in like Gwinett, right, the Korean spau. I mean, isn't that kind of along the lines of like, what's happening there?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean a jju though they're not nobody would have butterflied me and had their knuckle rubbing against my south side.
Speaker 3: It never happen. I can't with this conversation. While to me.
Speaker 1: As I was leaving, I literally it occurred to me that like there is this middle market where you don't cross the line, but like you do this like very kind of relaxing massage that's like nothing happened. I wouldn't, there's nothing, there'd be nothing to turn into the authorities about this place.
Speaker 2: I know. But what I'm saying is I think they do that and they wait for the signal from the the person the client to start getting into it and then okay.
Speaker 1: But what is what if they do okay? But then I'm going to push it even a step further, Like I'm not interested in that. But let's say that you did take it a step further and like you're consenting. Why does it matter? Why do I give a shit if this guy gets you off? Do I care?
Speaker 2: I mean, as long as it's consensual, sure, that's what I'm saying, go for it.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. Uh god, that is not wrong to think that. Have you read the reviews for this place?
Speaker 1: Yeah, great reviews, sellar reviews because the women are like me, They're like this felt kind of good. Yeah. And it's also like if you're a workouter, that is where I'm like tight, where I have like your legs, get a ship ton of workout. Yeah, well I'm favors Ai. Yeah, it was really. I mean the whole night we were dying laughing.
Speaker 3: No, you text yesterday in the group chair with Sam.
Speaker 1: Was She's like, I'll pass. Thanks. Iought on board, you know, yeah I thought for sure too, but I guess just me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, new experiences.
Speaker 1: It's true. I actually told Nikki right away and she's like, do not share that on the pod, like that highly suspect.
Speaker 3: Willing participant.
Speaker 1: But I didn't know I was going to be a participant. Like I don't even know for sure what happened, Like it took like getting outside of it, which is another thing Tate said. She's like, is it though, just like the we don't even know. We were so accustomed to being agreeable that it's like you don't even know you're getting assaulted. If you're getting assaulted, sometimes we weren't. We were not, But I'm saying like she's like, is it like you're just trained as a woman to just kind of go with it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, especially like at a younger age, like don't rock the boat kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm not that person. I would have been like whoa, whoa, whoa.
Speaker 2: Well, honestly, it reminds me I my first massage. I was in Costa Rica at like a spa.
Speaker 1: There and shit goes down there, I.
Speaker 3: Will and that was just it.
Speaker 2: It was like I felt like he was creeping up my inner thigh a little bit too much. And I'd never had a massage. I'm twenty two years old. I don't know what the rules are, but I would tact asking my friends like what was yours like? Because that felt a little like a little close.
Speaker 1: They say, yeah, they.
Speaker 2: Didn't have the same experience as I did. They were like, no, it was like a one on notice anything. So yeah, it was like, I guess my guy was just going a little bit higher up to thigh than everyone else. But I did leave there kind of being like what was I even supposed to say or do? In that moment, like I don't know what's normal. I got a facial there and I happened to like crack my eye open as they were like getting the scrub. It was that freaking Saint Ives apricruts grow no way, box.
Speaker 1: No way, no way. That was my god, get out of here.
Speaker 3: Wow, yeah, real fancy.
Speaker 1: It's twenty two. Yeah, it's very fancy. Well, if you saw this place, you'd be like, holy shit.
Speaker 2: Finds me a bit of the foot massage places in Atlanta.
Speaker 1: Same thing, yep, those places all the time. I got all the time.
Speaker 3: It's one of my favorite things.
Speaker 1: Same so I almost prefer that to a massage.
Speaker 3: Same yeah, because.
Speaker 1: It's just like I can relax. Yah, it's easier. So yeah, well anyway, no complaints, no shade, and I could have handled it if it took a turn, no.
Speaker 3: Problem, handled it or participated.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I see how people end up getting happy endings because they get you, they get you kind of turned on, and then they're like until you flip over, and then you're like, oh fuck, I made a deal with the devil until it's.
Speaker 3: The gado hovering over you. Then it's all over. That's just what I picture.
Speaker 1: Oh god, all right, well let's take it to a place of gay.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, we had an email from a listener asking basically, she's in the process of coming out, getting divorced, all this stuff, and she wants to know how to talk to her little kids about it. And you and I started talking about like how we really had different experiences with like how we told our kids yep, and mine were three and five years old. And so the approach I took, which was not given to me by any professional, It's just what I kind of came up with, was to not tell them about my sexuality, just to say, like in the most basic of terms, that we were not going to live together anymore. They were we were going to have two separate houses, you know, but they would still have us as like the constant in each house or still love, were still a family, We're still going to do things together. Didn't use the word divorce or separation, like none of it. And I didn't do that because of their because they're so young. I'm like, they don't even know the word divorced. And it's not like they have kids in their class that have parents that are divorced, and so I don't know, it just felt like an unnecessary word, and it felt that word carries like negative connotation totally. So I just didn't want them to think of that anymore. Just we're not going to be married anymore.
Speaker 3: It was how about it?
Speaker 2: And then after all that happened, then I had the sexuality conversation very slowly and just said, you know, if I ever get married again, it's going to be to a woman. I didn't use any labels, but since that time, now they know. Now they're about to turn twelve and fourteen, so they know what gay and lesbian mean, all that stuff, all the terminology. They totally get it, like it's not even a thing to them, and they're fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well they're more that your kids are like thriving.
Speaker 2: Yeah they are, They're threat they're great. Like I asked Kaylen, I asked both of them the other day. I was like, what has been the worst part about me and dad being divorced? Like what is the hardest thing for you? And they were like going back and forth, they.
Speaker 1: Both had that's what mine say.
Speaker 2: They were like, I hate having to, you know, pack up each week or like something gets.
Speaker 3: Left behind exactly what said. But they were like other than that, it's fine, you know, do you think.
Speaker 1: In some ways? I know, selfishly, you and I are like, we don't want to do that, but like week one week off maybe is better for them. I know people say it is better for the kids.
Speaker 3: I've thought about that.
Speaker 2: I know, and I really don't know, because like, like my daughter has a friend who lives near us, and she's week on, week off, so that means one week she's on the bus here, the next week she's not. But I think it's kind of like we have a blend of like half and half, like three days a week they're riding the bus from my house and two days a week from his house. So I don't know, and it's I and I am being selfish because it is me. I'm like, I don't need to far away or that long without seeing them. I don't think the same their dad wants that either, though, Like I think it provides a good balance between the time sped, so.
Speaker 1: I would agree. So when we told ours my big ones were in middle school, Read was pretty little, I think, like kindergarten age. I just remember him bouncing around like a toddler. He felt little when we told him. I don't remember exactly how old he was, but he the therapist told us she gave us a script and she had us go ahead and say the gay part as part of that bigger conversation, only because my big kids did understand divorce. And so she's like, when you don't give them a reason that it's happening, they feel that emptiness with something else. So she's like, instead of saying, you know, this thing happened and now we're getting divorced, they if you don't have a thing, then it kind of becomes was it us? Was it something we did? Was it? Did someone have an affair? Like there's all these stories kids create, So we would ahead and just said it's I'm gay. Chris was very supportive in that conversation. We're still going to be a family. We're going to be a different, you know, modern family. The only difference for you guys is we're going to live in two separate houses. Everything else will be the same. We're not even thinking about new partners at this time. And that was fine too. In the end, like it was almost like they they just sort of accepted it. Yeah, I mean I don't I'm sure the time will tell. Like I guess don't you feel like even like when you look at your adult friends, it's like even the people with the most healthy childhoods have like these wounds that are like even no fold of their mom and dad.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like my big kids now love to tease me, like they'll bring stuff up that I'm like, really when they're teasing me, but it's like, clearly that's something you think about me.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think like we can do the best that we can, but no matter what, they're gonna walk away with some something.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And like there's things that I've brought up to the kids, like with Reckon, like I've forced him to get on this intense water slide.
Speaker 1: I remember that that must have really haunted you because I've bothered me so much since he yeah.
Speaker 3: Screamed that he did not want to do it, and I put him on it. Anyway, I'm not.
Speaker 2: Knowing how intense it was. But he doesn't remember this. He has no memory of it. So I'm like, I'm the one that's like carrying this.
Speaker 3: He's not.
Speaker 2: But I also don't know if like maybe one day down the road, he does think about that, you know, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know if he'll think about that, but I wonder if it's it has informed other de s he's made. Yeah, well, and I feel like maybe made him more safe, made him less likely to, you know, do.
Speaker 3: The definitely risk averse.
Speaker 2: You know, like he they went to the lake recently, he did not want to ride on the tube behind the boat.
Speaker 3: He was just like, not for me.
Speaker 2: You know, he doesn't want to ride the intense rollercoaster all that stuff. Like I don't either, dude, I know I don't really either anymore.
Speaker 3: But he just he's very cautious.
Speaker 2: And I don't know if it's because you know, that situation on the waterslide, or there was another time we put him on Splash Mountain and just we're like, I didn't realize how intense that drop was on Splash.
Speaker 3: I know, he was like, who was it.
Speaker 1: You that we were talking? I have this fear on Splash Mountain every time we do it, and I've done it many times with my kids. I go through a whole checklist in my mind of was when this thing flips, how am I fun we're trapped underneath it? How am I saving these three fucking kids? Like I will look at when Chris and I used to do it with them. I would look at him and be like, what is your fucking plant? Yeah, and he's like, this is like a dumb conversation. I'm like, I can't help it. Walk me through. What are you doing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's the same thing, just like in general of like there's been a few things lately, like with boats where boats have kind of capsized and saying this happened in San Francisco Bay and New York City recently and people die. I know. It's like what do you do if you do have children who can't swim? You can't get a life jacket on them. The water's freezing, especially in San Francisco. Like that's terrifying, so terrifying. Yeah, those those the rides that that kind of stuff happens all the time, you know, like something flips or you know, messes up and yeah, how are you what are you.
Speaker 3: Doing in that?
Speaker 2: I thought you were gonna say that you get freaked out just about the drop on that one.
Speaker 3: But that's that's the whole thought. I didn't have Alix draw up.
Speaker 1: I get there and I'm like, what if the thing just like something was broken on the track and it just went over top and now you're stuffed inside, trapped because it's like a hole in the thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some kid jumped out of that recently. Did you see that video?
Speaker 3: No, he was like a fifteen year old.
Speaker 2: I think he like was on the log and just jumped out the last second and kind of like fell down the slide. He was fine, I think, banned from Disney World.
Speaker 1: But yeah, wait, why would he? Then the thing could run over him?
Speaker 3: I know. I'm like, doesn't this thing run on a fucking track?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I'm way risk averse. I don't do one thing that I think might hurt me. Yeah, physically, no physical pain, No physical pain. Yeah, terrifying, terrifying. Yeah. Yeah. So I think there's all different ways. And I guess the point that you and I, you and I got to is that there's no right or wrong way. We have another friend who did it your way. They just announced the divorce, didn't talk about the gay at all, and then later brought up the gay. My therapist me do it all. She literally wrote us a script. It was so we had to read over it. But I think there's no It's almost like they are resilient. They if you love them and you say it lovingly. I just don't think it's harmful.
Speaker 2: I think that's the biggest thing, is like, as long as they see you showing up still loving them, they have everything they need in both homes. They see that they have their toys, they have their comfy bed, that security there.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: They see the two of you getting along, they see you spending time together when it matters. I think those are the things that's way way bigger than like how you explain it to them.
Speaker 1: Totally agree, And I mean.
Speaker 2: Calen even asked me the other day, did you guys fight when you were married? And because she sees us get along so well, so she yeah, and I'm like not really, I mean and just normal stuff, you know, And I'm like, I like him as a human, you know, Yeah, it's easy when that's the case.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's so true. It's like, but I had one person tell me once, they like, yeah, you didn't fight because you weren't like passionately. And I don't know if that's true. What came first, the chicken or the egg? I don't know. Chris and I didn't fight either.
Speaker 2: I think, like going through therapy now, I do kind of see how we both leaned pretty avoid it, So I think that might be part of it, you know, just constantly avoiding.
Speaker 1: The don't rock the boat. Yeah, And I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: For me, sometimes I'm like fighting takes so much energy, Like I don't want to get mad.
Speaker 1: Like I know, and it's just like, don't you feel like the older you get, You're like, is anything that big of a deal? No, it just isn't. That's my new thing I do, which we talked about this on a pod, is I just really wouldn't I feel my body start to react in a negative way. It happened today very briefly. I just said to myself, do I really give a shit?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And I'm usually like I really don't. Yeah, Like it's rare that I care that much. Yeah, just release it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it makes like everything so much less heavy.
Speaker 1: Everything is so much less heavy. I truly believe that, like if you're you know, if you just learn to like have your threshold for getting pissed, like not as easy to be triggered, you know.
Speaker 3: And stop taking things personally.
Speaker 1: I know, it's like there's a million reasons why shit happens. Yeah, yeah, huge, Okay, Well let's get to our next topic, which is the not controversial because everybody's bought in to that. You break up and you gotta go no contact. Yeah, gotta gotta do it. You can't get over it, cannot get over it unless you go no contact. Can't tact, shut them up, block them, block them on all socials.
Speaker 3: I'm guilty of this.
Speaker 1: No, It's is just like this has become like the Bible of breakups. Yeah, and I just I'm starting to question the whole Thing's it's new too. Our parents. My mom never went no contact with anyone. My sister didn't even She's like, what is this?
Speaker 2: But I don't feel like I ever had to do that before, like in college and then like you know, relationships in my twenties with men, I we hell, I don't even think i'd like really have a breakup conversation.
Speaker 3: We just stopped talking.
Speaker 1: Well that's because they were men and you didn't care.
Speaker 3: And I didn't care.
Speaker 1: But I mean, can you imagine, like you're I'm just trying to think you and I are hard because we were gay, But like, think about your straight friends that are you know, our age or older, like they don't do no contact. Like think about like in college or after college, your friends that were dating, they didn't have boyfriends that they were like, I'm gonna, well, we didn't even have social media in that way, Like I'm going to block them, I'm gonna I'm starting to think that I know I'm going to catch hell for this. This is a very hot take, but I think no contact is when you have a highly dysfunctional, manipulative Maybe you're in a situation where the person is like, not a great person and has wildly hurt you through actions that they did on their own, like they did things like you and I've both been in relationships and I've done things, so I'm perfectly guilty. But if it's just a breakup where it's just like this isn't gonna work, Like I like you as a person, you like me as a person. I don't believe that you have to do that. I just don't.
Speaker 3: I am like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I kind of I sit on the fence at this point, like I felt like I needed to do it at some points, because it is different with social media. You know, we didn't have that twenty years ago, and now it's like if you're still friends with them on social media, everything they post suddenly feels personal to you even though it's not.
Speaker 1: And maybe that's okay, But also it's.
Speaker 3: Kind of like immersion therapy.
Speaker 1: It's exposure therapy.
Speaker 3: Exposure therapy, and but I don't know.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I need like that little nervous system reset, you know, But maybe that can be done through muting someone instead of.
Speaker 1: Just kid yeah, no content. It's like, are we such god? I know I sound like so old now, but are we such babies? Are you such a baby? You can't? I have too, but it's like, are you such a baby that you can't? I don't know. Maybe I've been kicked enough that I'm just like, it's not I don't need to cut I can't think of anyone that i'd have to cut off completely because I can't handle even facing them. Like I'm not a baby. I guess like that. I guess I'm not because I just I don't I see it sometimes if you have been harmed in a way that is like bad for you, yeah, but to just like if you and I have gotten a fight as friends and we're not going to be friends anymore, I don't need to go no contact with you. I would talk to you boundaried. I would say, you're no longer my best friend, you're somebody in my wheelhouse. Good to see you at the bar, Good to see you at the restaurant. Hope you're doing well. Like I just think we've taken everything to such an extreme of like the self care has made it so that you are alone in your life. You're so not you, but the world has become such a place that you're so boundaried and so quick to do all these things because you see it on TikTok. You're alone in your life. I hope it's nice in there.
Speaker 2: And I well, I think initially no contact was introduced as a way to get people that are very toxic out of your life, to stop interacting with them, to stop getting re engaged with them too, because I think that is one of the good things about no contact is that it stops that cycle, you know.
Speaker 3: Because it's very easy, especially.
Speaker 2: When you're dealing with someone who can be manipular, when you do kind of open back up to them and like start interacting with them again, they kind of start to pull you back in and then you're right back where you.
Speaker 1: But that seems like a you problem.
Speaker 3: It is. I mean, that's just it.
Speaker 2: It's like it's finding the strength to see through the bullshit that's happening and knowing and being like I'm not doing this anymore, you know, Yeah.
Speaker 1: To have enough self strength that you can say, I see what you're doing, don't love it. I'm going to remove myself from this narrative. But it doesn't mean that I have to be like God, we talked every day for three years, and now I never want to talk to you again. I shut you off of everything. You don't exist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there's something cruel about that. And I again, I think it's like if something really bad happened, if that person cheated on you and it's just been something that's like continued to be an issue and painful, then yes, no contact, that's moranted. But I think if it is like an amicable breakup up, yeah, take a beat, do what you need to do, don't show up to some events, mute them on social media, you know, all that stuff, but like the whole completely blocking, not responding to when you do reach out for whatever reason.
Speaker 1: Having other people tell them. I've had other people tell me, like other people in the wheelhouse, to be like, yeah, do not contact her, she's going to be there, don't go.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't live my life that way. First of all, you don't get to tell me where to go or what to do. But second of all, really, yeah, like I just find it, like so it's too much. It's like you can't apply that rule to everyone.
Speaker 3: And I've taken the other approach.
Speaker 2: I'm like, it is this person going to be there?
Speaker 3: There they are? Yeah, I'm so comfortable that I'm not going.
Speaker 1: You don't you pull yourself out? So but like, I can't imagine. Have you had someone before where you've totally thought that it was the amical breakup? But you're like I cannot see them, I cannot hear from them. I cannot have one dealing with them. I need to block them, mute them, quiet them. I don't know.
Speaker 2: What's amicable or like I didn't feel a little messed with Yeah, you know, but I mean I will say though I do like it initially, like for those first few weeks, I guess to just be like I don't want I don't want to be seeing their stuff and being feeling a little drawn in or questioning my decision. And I will if I see there's done. So for me, it's like a little bit of self protection. But I do agree that sometimes it is taken a little bit too far. It's like, we don't just because we dated and it didn't work out doesn't mean that we can't like be kind to each other and at least like be in touch at some point, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or you get to be You don't have to be friends, but you can be friendly. Rights kind of the way I see it, You're never going to be my friend. I don't really stay friends with X's I just don't. I don't need to. So to me, it's like, but we can still be friendly. I can't be curious about your your life or some event you had. I don't know. For me, it's also like you can wait, I've seen this with you happen. You can wait the six months of no contact. Then you see the person and it's like day one all over again. It's like an alcoholic having a drink.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so then it's like, you waited all that time. Would you have been better off maybe to just have had boundaried exposure the whole time?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's yeah, that's why it's so I don't know I don't know what the right answer is. But I'm also like, if there's someone that I dated and I spent significant time with them, I'm still like, even if they did suck in the end or I sucked, whatever, I'm still rooting for that person me too, Like, I still want to see good things happen for them. So it is nice to be able to still have some level of connection once the healing has taken place, to be like, oh, like they're doing good and that's awesome. You know. Yeah, yeah, I don't. I wouldn't consider myself with friends friends with any exes, but maybe one where but it's you know, kind of like a distant friendship, but we're rooting for each other. Yeah, I want good things for her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think it's you know, I understand the self protection, but I also understand like how it can just be almost weaponized in a way.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's.
Speaker 1: That's what I call factor. It's a control factor. And in a group like ours, where there's so many people, when I see it play out, it also becomes this like you're affecting everybody at this point. Yeah, because you've made such a scene that like in some cases, like I've seen in our I mean nothing we've had. It's safe and sweet and everybody's great, but it's like I think sometimes it's just like people need to lay off the TikTok therapy and just kind of be with themselves, show up and put a smile on face hard things. I Mean, one of the biggest lessons Tatum ask me one time, like, what is one thing that you feel like is like life changing advice? Like, well, what is something someone said to you that's like life changing? And the thing that I always remember is and my parents used to say this to me, and now I say it to my kids, if you can get comfortable being uncomfortable, you can do anything you want in your whole life. There's anything. There's no limit to what you can do if you can get comfortable being uncomfortable. And when we constantly protect ourselves from any discomfort, it's like, no wonder why you're not doing anything?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what.
Speaker 1: Uncomfortable it is for you and I to show up and make a documentary or start a thing when we don't know if one person is going to show up. Yeah, to make this podcast from day one, when we had no one listening and it was so boring, and the dog's barking and we're in my closet. Yeah, I don't care, Like I don't. You have to risk being embarrassed, yeah, and not give a shit.
Speaker 3: And in so much of it is in your head. You know, it's all in your head. No one cares what. I don't know what people are saying.
Speaker 2: I might here like a little thing here or there, like we have with the documentary, and I'm also like, okay saying it.
Speaker 3: We're doing it, so go away.
Speaker 1: The other day I told Melissa something and she was literally like, I didn't even know people were saying that. I'm like, that's so good to be. You get a ship because you're comfortable. You are so comfortable being uncomfortable. I see you do it all the time. You do stand up, you show up at a bar by yourself, You'll go to a city by yourself and go out. You are so comfortable being uncomfortable that it's just like there is no limit to the to what can happen when you start putting all these guardrails up, You're not going anywhere.
Speaker 2: Good Lafe, I haven't always been that way, you know, It's just a matter of like doing.
Speaker 1: It exposure therapy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I rejoined CrossFit last week.
Speaker 1: What was that about? What happened?
Speaker 2: Well, because I started, I was like, you know, I quit three years ago because I got hurt, and I just was kind of like, I'm getting kind of burnout on it, you know.
Speaker 3: And then I was, you know, dealing with.
Speaker 2: The the anemia and the hysterectomy and all those things. And I've just had so much energy since that happened. And so I've been trying to work out on my own, but I'm so not motivated. I will quit after five.
Speaker 3: Minutes of lifting weights and be like that's good.
Speaker 2: And so I started thinking, I'm like, I really miss the accountability that CrossFit brought me. I looked around for like some other gems around here, and I just wasn't finding anything that really matched what I've had there.
Speaker 3: And I was like, you know what, who cares. I'll just go back to the old gym, and good for you.
Speaker 2: Walked back in there. The owner was there, remembered me. There's like a bunch of people that are still members there that I still friends with and still know. So it's been like really easy to jump right back in and I think one of the reasons why I did quit was because I felt a little bit like the odd man out as far as being the only gay person in that gym and a land of suburbia. But I'm just walking in there again, like growing just in the past three years from where how I felt and being like I don't give a shit yeh here for me, I also had to let go of the cost factor because that was one thing that was bothering me. But I'm like, I'm investing in my health totally, like I need that. At forty five, I need to build muscle again and again. Now that I've like in better health, I have so much energy, like night and day difference.
Speaker 1: So as much as people like give shit to the cult of CrossFit, everybody I know that doesn't looks good like, it's just you can't argue with right look good yeah, like.
Speaker 2: And that's just it. It's challenging and it's hard. I don't fall into the whole, like even the membership I signed up for. I'm not doing like the massive lifting and all that stuff, but it does help. It's good to lift heavyweights, yeah, and it is motivating. It's way different than going into like a planet fitness and walking on the treadmill for thirty minutes. You know.
Speaker 1: No, I think it's definitely there's an accountability there and it works. Yeah, and listen, just give those suburban moms a few more years, they're all going to be coming out. Yeah, you know, my theory out.
Speaker 3: There like an example.
Speaker 1: You got to show them what they're missing.
Speaker 3: I too was straight once, ladies.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. All right, Well, I sound so angry about the no contact, So I don't. I think it's just came up today with a friend of mine who was feeling some kind of way about it, and I just like lectured her for like five minutes on you need to do what feels good inside you, not because the world has told you you have to do this thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and again, I think it works in some cases. In some cases it's just maybe warranted for a short time, but not eternity.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know, people break up and it's okay, and.
Speaker 1: It's okay, and you can see the person and you're still going to be okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: So all right, I guess we solved a few problems.
Speaker 3: I think we did were created more. We have tough ones today all right.
Speaker 1: So what your plan? You have your kids this weekend?
Speaker 3: I do you don't? Wait, I don't sorry, I'm going to hang out with Tamra.
Speaker 1: Oh sweet, okay, very cool.
Speaker 2: I'm also doing the scavenger hunt thing with my kids on Saturday morning, another lovely blended family activity that we do where I will be on a team with Tom's wife. Tom will be on another team for the scavenger hunt with her ex husband.
Speaker 1: Fun.
Speaker 3: So we do like girls versus boys?
Speaker 1: Who do the kids want to be with? Oh, it'll be bracketting, Kaylen's like girls versus boys?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: And we have to like go through this list of stuff to find around Peachtree City and it's it's so much fun.
Speaker 3: Like and Tom's team wins every year, so there's that.
Speaker 1: Okay that makes it not as fun. But okay, I actually when you were telling the story, I was thinking my money would be on Tom.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean he also my nephew on his team, and he's like seventeen and is all over these golf cart paths, so he knows where everything is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he can get there in two seconds.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, we're like, I'm never on a golf cart anymore, So I don't know.
Speaker 1: And who would be working on a golf course? Yeah? No, it sounds fun. All right, We'll have a glass and I'll catch you later, all right, bye bye bye.
Speaker 3: I want to support the Lesbian Chronicles podcast.
Speaker 2: Rate us and write a review on Apple Podcasts or Spotify.
Speaker 1: We'd love listener feedback. If you'd like to share your story, email us at Melissa and Ali at gmail dot com. That's Melissa M. E. L I s A and Ali A L l I at gmail dot com. Or follow us on Instagram at Lesbian Chronicles