Speaker 1: After a few days of the Alamauana Hotel to Honolulu, do you notice something special about the Hawaiian face? It has very few worry lines. After a few more days of the Ala Muana, you notice something special about your face. It has far fewer worry lines. You sailed and pulled, and served and lew out, and the hulaed and poyed.
Speaker 2: And sirloin and sunned.
Speaker 1: You've browsed the hundreds of boutiques and bazaars of the Alamawana International Shopping Center next door. You've sampled new delicacies at the Summit Dining Room and the Monsheer Tanzan, and you've met the kind of service that's worth traveling those thousands of miles forth Balamuana of Honolulu. The money is American, the prices are American, and the hotel is Americana. Take a good look at your face when you get back home. It may take months to put back the worry lines.
Speaker 3: For reservations, call your travel agent or this toll free number eight hundred sixty two one seventeen seventy six.
Speaker 4: Good evening, It's time once again to return to those exciting premiere days of radio. As KRLD presents the story of another real life crime fighter on Gangbusters.
Speaker 5: Now in cooperation with police and federal law enforcement departments throughout the United States, the only national program that brings you authentic police case history Gangbuster.
Speaker 4: We'll begin tonight's exciting story in just a.
Speaker 2: Moment, Cynthia, would you care to go to the wine cellar with me?
Speaker 6: I beg your pardon, I said, I'd like to take you to the winesew certainly not.
Speaker 2: What kind of person do you take me for?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 6: What's wrong with the wine cell But the wine cellar is the bodega.
Speaker 2: What's the boodiga?
Speaker 6: It's an above ground wine cellar where you can have steak and lobster and wine.
Speaker 7: Do you mean you're asking me to dinner? Yes, Oh, Robert, I'm afraid of miss Judge too.
Speaker 4: Tell me more.
Speaker 7: About the bedega.
Speaker 2: Well, bodagas have been around for centuries.
Speaker 6: They used to store whining them, then they became festal restaurants.
Speaker 7: Robert, you're really very knowledgeable.
Speaker 5: Tell me more.
Speaker 6: Well, there's stone and wood and fireplaces and high ceilings in Cynthia.
Speaker 2: I'm really interested in your mind.
Speaker 7: Robert, you're really very aware. After the wine cellar, would you like to see my.
Speaker 1: Etchings the Bodega Restaurant eighty eighty North Central Expressway, one block south of Campbell Center and LBJ at Preston Road across from Valley View Shopping Center.
Speaker 5: And now the Gangbusters in facts that show the operation of our law enforcement officials in their war against the underworld. Gangbusters has asked John J. Sullivan, former Deputy Police Commissioner and Chief of Detectives New York City, to narrate by proxy tonight's case the inside facts in the case of the three Safecrackers. Chief Sullivan, I know the case you are going to tell our Gangbusters listeners about tonight will furnish unusual proof of the work of one of the country's most colorful teams of detectives, New York City's Safe and Love Squad. It will Don Gardner. If you and your listeners will bear two facts in mind. First, in burglary cases, it's extremely difficult for the police to get evidence for conviction. And second, the surest way is to know what's going to happen before it does happen, before it happened. Yes done. I'll show you one way it was done. This case began on a bleak overcast day last January, at the huge Calvary cemetery on Long Island, a lone man kneeled at one of the graves, unmindful of the young priest.
Speaker 1: A few feet away.
Speaker 5: It's been a long time, peaked, but I haven't gone back on you. I want to be all you were, if you don't mind more. I always looked up to you, Pete, and I still respect you. I've got the same kind of ideas you had. Oh, hello, father, and I assist you in your prayers my son, No, thanks, Father, it's not what you call prayers. Besides, I was just leading by Father. Goodbuye my son. Thanks anyway, next time maybe well, hello father? Eh? Oh, Captain Hansish Are you a policeman always hiding in the trees? Not always, Father, Sometimes we come out in the open. Are you here in business?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 5: I came out to visit the grave of an old friend. But uh, maybe it will develop into business. Father. You mean that uh miner I just spoke with is strange singing him here? I thought he was in sing sing? Oh and what makes you think that man should be in sing sing? Because Father I sent him there? Uh huh, Well, if he's released. No doubt he'd read a good life. I wouldn't count on it. Father, You want torment this man now because he came to the cemetery, No, of course not. I'm just going to see at whose grave Freddie Russo came so far to pray? Business? Just curiosity. Curiosity seems to be the main fault of policemen, also, father, the main virtue. Your man Russo is going out the gate. Now, that's all right, father, If I want him, I can find him again. Yes, I suppose you can. But here's the grave of his friend. Is your curiosity satisfied? No, Father, Now I'm more curious, more curious at the sight of this grave of a man ten years dead, White Captain. This is the grave of Big Peachneider. Father. Indeed, he died in Sing Sing. He was one of the most troublesome safe crackers I can remember. And he's still troublesome. Kept, Yes, very troublesome. Big Peachneider had a twisted pride in his trade. He enjoyed passing his skill on to others. One of his pupils was Fred Russel. And if Fred Russell came to the grave of his master, for inspiration. He must be up to something. I see. Well, give my best to the boys at headquarters. I will probert and goodbye there there. If it is at a kitchen table going to what's the matter? Can't you get your nose out of that magazine and give me dinner?
Speaker 9: You get here on time and I'll eat with you. You come late, You help yourself.
Speaker 10: Where you've been?
Speaker 5: Does he he didn't go.
Speaker 9: To work today?
Speaker 5: I don't want you spying on me there, Yes, the spying you.
Speaker 9: I can tell me the look on your course. You didn't go to work?
Speaker 5: Okay, I was out in Long Island seeing an old friend.
Speaker 9: Now listen to me, Fred, you stay out of trouble. If you lay off, I'll be heading back up at sinking.
Speaker 11: It's all right for you.
Speaker 9: They give you three meals a day up there. But what am I supposed to do?
Speaker 5: Go out scrubbing floors. I charge you to lay off.
Speaker 9: Have sense enough to stay up. Big dreams you got always big dreams. You got a good job, you're making good money. Play it straight, you might like it.
Speaker 5: What do you care where the dough comes from? As long as it's doe.
Speaker 9: Come on, I'll give you.
Speaker 5: Wait a minute, what I was out to see Big Pete?
Speaker 11: Oh so that's fair.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he's been dead for ten years.
Speaker 11: Let him stay dead.
Speaker 5: He never did you any good.
Speaker 9: He never did anybody any good, not even himself.
Speaker 5: He left a lot behind, very proble.
Speaker 9: That's all just trouble.
Speaker 5: Oh ideas, they're right up here. Big Pete potted them into my head one by one. There was an operator.
Speaker 9: And what did it get him? A sing, sing funeral. And that's the same thing it'll get you.
Speaker 5: It's gonna get me a million bucks.
Speaker 9: All right, be all right. I'm sick of arguing with you. You want to go back, go ahead, I don't care.
Speaker 5: I'm not going back any place. I'm lying up a couple of guys. I'm gonna teach him what Big Pete taught me.
Speaker 9: Please me out of it, that's okay.
Speaker 5: Just ask me for something. When the door starts rolling, I'll ask you for nothing.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, I will act you for coming. Don't get yourself killed when I comes down, I head off and forget about you.
Speaker 5: That's what I asked you for.
Speaker 1: Come on in the kitchen.
Speaker 9: Oh baby, I wish I could see your brain And steady up.
Speaker 5: Billy, say in loft Squad, Captain Hanson, Detective Clark, Captain Well. The Parole Commission record show that Frederick Russo was released from sing Sing October first, after serving eleven years and four months.
Speaker 8: Mmm.
Speaker 5: Is he still reporting to the parole officer? Yes, Captain once a month.
Speaker 8: He's been regular.
Speaker 5: He would be. What's his address at four or five O.
Speaker 8: East, twenty first?
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's twenty first. All right, Clak, come on back to the office, Kape. Sergeant Ryan come in here a minute, go, Thank god, Clark got an address on Russo. Oh good, Yeah, on the Parole Commission sit down. I don't know, Sergeant Russo might be going square, but what was he doing out visiting Big Pete's grave? Maybe looking to knock the knobs or some more safes. And if that's so, he can't do it alone. Now, I want you to find out who he's got and what they're up to. Yes, sir, you've got yourself Clark, Sanders, Burns and Garnet. I want somebody on Russo every minute until we find out what's going through his mind. You got it, won't let him out of our side cutting wait O'clark comes in, Sergeant and then get going. Okay, and remember one thing. I want them caught in the act.
Speaker 9: No other way, no, mom, Fred, take me home here?
Speaker 5: Will you sit still there? I told you I gotta.
Speaker 9: Meet somebody, anybody you gotta meet in this jointy' worth me.
Speaker 11: Now, let's get out.
Speaker 5: Go ahead, Bear, go home if you want. I'm gonna stay here.
Speaker 9: You got to get up very tomorrow early for what if you're so worried, I'll put you in.
Speaker 11: It are Look, Fred, don't get into nothing worth the one home.
Speaker 9: I gotta see these guys it so long.
Speaker 5: I see you later. Excuse me? Oh yeah, okay, alright guys, ye have Russell got on well? Oh by you dear herself. Okay, I still gotta sell Laviola here.
Speaker 8: What's no matter what him?
Speaker 5: Nothing except theme for speaking to my own knitting. You've been shooting off. What uneasy touch? These safe jobs are? That's something new to me. The way I hear a safe job is the hardest pick the tongue. You just listen to me and we'll do all right. What's the matter I'm not doing all right? But now when you're lavy all of what you call all right? His button? Oh case, it's buttons with all them buttons on mine, they don't get cut three ways? Plea worry about a three way swift? This is big dog. Won't you ever heard of? Tell me, Russo, what makes you such an expert? Did you ever hear a big peach Schneider?
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, I heard of him.
Speaker 5: What are you his first cousin? But you'll lesson lovey Alder. This is a good pets, Okay, Russo, what about Big Tea? He was my professor in college. Everything he knew I know, And I'll teach you what big Teeth taught me?
Speaker 2: Tell me?
Speaker 5: Did he teach you how to stay clear of the Saving Loves School? Yeah? That was the first lesson in case the job good take nothing but cash and they can't lay a hand down unless they catch You're it.
Speaker 11: Hot right on the job. But I was lucky to be jumped up in the act.
Speaker 5: That's an accident.
Speaker 2: Have you gone eadn't line by it?
Speaker 11: That's tony their I'm coming home.
Speaker 5: You kind of stop talking about it and go ahead. I'll see you later. I'll listen here.
Speaker 7: Oh could night man?
Speaker 5: Nice dish? There wos on sharks too much?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 5: And I went at Peden let's get back to business. What do you got to line up a roaded store plus a couple of factories in the garment district? And what do you cont on?
Speaker 11: Tagan?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 8: Plenty?
Speaker 5: I watched plenty.
Speaker 11: Why do you go worrying about Laviola?
Speaker 4: Rosa said, there'll be plenty.
Speaker 5: That's okay, It's okay for me anyway, all right, I do so. I mean good, glad to have me. Let's have a drink. Don't water over here? Huh.
Speaker 8: Russo sat there with the girl for a while, Captain Yeah. And these other two came in and took a boot Joe Pellitarian, Frank Leviola.
Speaker 5: Mmm.
Speaker 8: Who So left the booth and joined them. They're still talking.
Speaker 5: Okay, Sergeant, this looks like the mob. When they leave one of you get with each of them and stay with them. So done. Even as the criminals were organizing, New York detectives of the Safe and Loth Squad were aware of their activities and lead their plans to capture them in the act, but unexpected developments upset the best made plan.
Speaker 4: We'll return to tonight's exciting story on Gangbusters following this brief pause. The real guys on you in Texas. The real guys are guys Potato chips made from real potatoes. Guys are made fresh, daily taste, delicious, always fresh and crisp guys. That's been in the business for almost forty years. Once you try them, you'll know they're good guys. Potato chips in a variety of flavors, of course, So next time you're shopping, reach for those good guys. Guys potato chips named those.
Speaker 11: Bad bad guys there the freshes chips stop.
Speaker 10: The Britanny, one of the last great ocean liners. On board twelve hundred passengers planning to have the time of their lives until Juggernaut.
Speaker 8: Richard Harris and.
Speaker 10: Omar Sharif in Juggernaut, the Greatest Sea Adventure of All Times. Juggernaut from United Artists rated pig parental guidance suggested.
Speaker 4: Juggernauts, a thrilling story of suspense, starts Friday at selected theaters in the Dallas area.
Speaker 5: Now back to gang Busters. You were telling his Chief Sullivan how detectives of the New York City Police Department Safe and Loft Squad head under surveillance a gang of criminals they knew were planning a series of large safe burglaries. That's right, Don and the assigned detectives, working in teams, clailed their suspects around the clock.
Speaker 4: These went by, however, and.
Speaker 5: The criminals failed to make a move. Then one night, Sergeant Ryan and Detective Clark followed Grusso and one of his confederates, Joe, into a bowery, dived and watched them as they stood at the bar.
Speaker 2: What do you say, clunch, Shall we get up close to them?
Speaker 5: They're able to make a sergeant, Come on, it's worth a chance if we get overhear them get around on that side of the right. Guys kind of listen me.
Speaker 8: No, I know what I'm doing.
Speaker 5: O overn here fill what Yeah, if we have a glass.
Speaker 1: Of beer, I'm going out.
Speaker 5: You can't blame him. So he's getting the edge, so I'm live. Wake him long and night. Okay, we're ready to go right in a couple of days. That's why I First, we need a few things right. The wires. Stuff on this list, and.
Speaker 8: That's a lot of hard wire.
Speaker 5: We've got to get him. Where's that beer? We let the list stuff? Finding stuff in hardware store's one item each your store. Now, let's go find let me own. I think I know where he drops and change in the bar. Welne, Now we get this stuff. To get it, there's a three.
Speaker 11: Of a spot to take a look.
Speaker 5: That's when they said, serge, keep hot on them, Clark.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna call Captain Hanson.
Speaker 5: Hello, goptain Sergeant Bran. I didn't wake you, no, no, it just got in.
Speaker 1: What's up?
Speaker 8: Clark?
Speaker 5: And I caught part of a conversation between Russo and Joe.
Speaker 8: It's any day now.
Speaker 5: What makes you so sure they're going out to buy burger tools tomorrow? They're gonna visit hardware stores.
Speaker 8: Okay, stay with.
Speaker 5: Them, sag. I want enough evidence against those guys so they'll.
Speaker 8: Never get out. I want every storekeeper where they make a purchase to be able to identify whatever they bought without question.
Speaker 5: Well you wanna buy that one? Ah? No, electric drills don't grow on trees, not yet. That and the other one you looked at or all I got? Yeah, maybe it'll be Okay, it should be. It's guaranteed for all kinds of heavy Dude, You've got plenty of bits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, plenty.
Speaker 5: Uh make up your mind about the drill. I gotta answer the phone. Yet form customers, customers all around this.
Speaker 8: Place all day long.
Speaker 5: Larry's Hardware. Hello, I don't say.
Speaker 8: Anything, Larry, Sergeant Ryan Safe and Love Squad.
Speaker 5: Oh oh hello.
Speaker 8: That guy in your store looking at the electric drill. Sell it to him. Yeah, sell it to 'em, Larry, even if you gotta cut the price.
Speaker 5: Okay, if you say so. But all this business I don't understand.
Speaker 8: Just be sure you can identify it later. Okay, I'm the guy too. Uh, make a note of the serial numbers.
Speaker 5: Oh oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And now I understand.
Speaker 8: Okay, Learry be around to see you later.
Speaker 5: Oh, come in, Sorrgan oh Kepvin. Looks like tonight. Tonight they got enough burglar tools to crack Fort Knox, and you can trace them right back to the stores where they bought them. Good work, And or do you make it for the night. Well, they got two places all cased out in a clothing store at twenty six on Broadway.
Speaker 11: Anything in the loft building.
Speaker 5: On West twenty seven? Which one do you think they'll try it first? It's it's alls up keptain. Well, I lay my money on the clothing store. They probably figured I'd have less trouble with a safe and maybe get more cash. Okay, but keep the other place covered. It will be I told you Ryan, I want them hands down, and that's the way we're gonna get them. The two of us are gonna plant ourselves inside that clothing store and wait for them. We're getting the district attorney and open and shut case on this one. Well looks pretty good from where I'm say.
Speaker 8: Let's not be.
Speaker 4: Too sure, sergeant.
Speaker 5: This is a funny business. Anything can happen to queer the works.
Speaker 9: Hm m mmm, Fred, do you want come in the kitchen a minute?
Speaker 5: William?
Speaker 9: Mm see things?
Speaker 5: Yeah? What do you open up this job?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Sure?
Speaker 9: Were you going all dressed up?
Speaker 11: Out out?
Speaker 9: Supper's almost ready?
Speaker 5: It's too bad. I'm meeting with the boys here.
Speaker 9: Here, you ja, I don't want you around those boys.
Speaker 5: Spread.
Speaker 11: There's nothing but trouble.
Speaker 5: Who's living my life? Me or you?
Speaker 9: Well, you're not doing very well at it.
Speaker 5: Thought, Baby, The night's the big night. I'll leave with you tomorrow night.
Speaker 9: You're not leaving this house. I said, you're not leaving.
Speaker 11: Hey, you're not leaving.
Speaker 5: Put down that knife.
Speaker 9: I'll kidd you, I swear I will up it out.
Speaker 2: Now you're staying here.
Speaker 5: You're looking for trouble vera.
Speaker 9: I've had nothing but trouble since I first laid eyes.
Speaker 5: Whatever the baby, fun's fun. Put that knife down.
Speaker 9: I'm gonna put an end to my trouble right now, up right now, you.
Speaker 5: Go me great, you try to kill me, I.
Speaker 8: Chold you to lay off.
Speaker 5: Serves, you're right slag. What time is it, Captain? Eleven fifteen?
Speaker 8: Do you think they're coming? Who knows? Certainly?
Speaker 2: Hope you don't try the lost building first, Captain, I wanna.
Speaker 8: Be in on the car for wysides.
Speaker 5: Just they're working in the back door.
Speaker 8: Yeah, come on right now.
Speaker 5: I wonder if they went outside spotted 'em.
Speaker 1: I'm sure they did.
Speaker 5: We wait til they get it inside and start working in the safe, then we'll nab 'em right.
Speaker 8: On a little closer.
Speaker 11: Captle, What kind of guys? What kind of you with smile?
Speaker 5: This is the first time I wanted burdmans to get into a build. They ride, Uh the door won't butt, got to give it all, you got lots to get it.
Speaker 10: All right?
Speaker 11: Agat it again?
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, oh let's what now? Well it lays get out again. But they can't crash the door. Let's go get the stuff together, you say, Captain, Shall I get the signal the ground and I'll let him go. I want more than any pimp charge against these guys. We'll get 'em on the next one. Russo, big peach Snider would sure be ashamed of you. Now, ah, hood expect the burglar proof door.
Speaker 2: Anybody but Russo lay.
Speaker 5: Big peep must be turning. Take a right here, Joe. Yeah, we still got the love building. We clean it out, we get fifty grand. Yeah, if they got no burglar proof door, let me worry about that. Just still.
Speaker 11: I I'd tell you, hello, cock.
Speaker 5: They broke on the side door, Captain. Looks like they're on the third floor.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 5: If they post any lookouts, no, sir, We've got the whole block covered. Too bad you didn't get them out of the clothing store. It doesn't make any difference one place or the other. Any orders, Captain, stick here and cover for us. They will probably come out the way they went in. We'll get them as they walk out the door. Yes, I'll be with Sergeant Ryan and the others. So don The Safe and Loft Squad detectives had the twenty seven Street loft buildings surrounded, and they were waiting for the criminals to emerge by where the door they had entered. Meanwhile, unaware of the carefully laid trap of these Safe and Loft Squad detectives, the three burglars had completed their job, and we're about to leave the buildings. Come on, come on, pick up that stuff. Yeah, so yeah, get it off. I don't want nothing laying around to give the cops a break. Yeah, I guess that's all of it. I'll carry the tin box. You mind it too, is Lavola. I'll take care of the box. Get that Jimmy dead where eh? Oh?
Speaker 11: I kid?
Speaker 5: Alright, come on driving a bag? Yeah, uh okay, let's get out downstairs, Elsie. Oh I tell you, huh, I tell you. Oh, tell me again when we're home in dead Okay, old it here and we get on afraid elevator lot the way we came in. I don't like that elevator this time of night, no matter we came up and then wait, I don't like you, that's all. Why can't we walk down? It's only three floor he cause the fire doors on the stairs might be bugged. That's why I don't wanna hit me burger alarms. After we got this fire, get on that elevator.
Speaker 11: Why do you have to argue too much?
Speaker 5: For you will nothing's ever right for you? Shut up, all right, Joe? Play it down?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Here we go, hy.
Speaker 5: Ruth though, what do you say we put the stuff away and go out and celebrate?
Speaker 8: Huh?
Speaker 5: Here you guys celebrate if you want. I gotta go look in on vera. Now what's the marry? And you feeling good? Got a pain in the juror? Here we are street floor? Waitness?
Speaker 8: What now?
Speaker 5: Look we can play it a lot safer. What do you mean, Joe, take the elevator to the top. Well, walk to the roof, over to the next building and come down that way.
Speaker 11: A ruth, I means breaking through another couple of doors.
Speaker 5: If you want anybody to run into us coming out of here. That's a lesson from Big Pet. Don't be a dope. We're here on the ground floor. The street's ten yard so away. We walk right up. There's nothing to wake her up to the top. Joe, tell me, dear, I heard what I said. Well do it go out me.
Speaker 2: I'm going out the way.
Speaker 11: I came in.
Speaker 5: That's save when not Yeah, use.
Speaker 4: I ain't no sense to it.
Speaker 5: Somebody could say, it's coming out of that toe. Okay, pupping up, We'll go out that way. Sure, oh, Claire, let's go, hey, grab some of this stuff. Wait, got okay, guys, right out the door and walk away like he owned the joints. No rushing, no running, you got it? Try yeah, good, hold it here. I take a look in the alley.
Speaker 4: Okay, nice, some dark No, Claire, let's go Richie.
Speaker 5: After the uh Bruce Alley.
Speaker 2: Shut him up.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, I gotta get the knock all right, Just keep him up. Push squears. Nobody had to squeal Russo we've been right on top of it for two weeks. We could have nailed you anytime, but we waited until we had you. Good. Now, let's get moving. So done. That was how one gang of burglars fared at the hands of the New York City Police Departments Safe from Loft Squad. They're all back in the penitentiary. It was a real illustration of fine detective work. Chief Sullivan. Yes, and I think the men of the New York City Safe from Loft Squad deserve congratulations for their mighty good job. They certainly do. Jeef Sullivan and Gangbusters. Thanks to you for telling us this factual case history.
Speaker 4: On KRLD, you're reliving the exciting days of early radio. Tonight's broadcast of Gangbusters will continue following this brief pause.
Speaker 3: Looking for a fresh new substitute for empty calorie snacks, Well, there's nothing new about delicious, juicy and sweet mouth.
Speaker 5: And bartlet pears.
Speaker 3: They're at the season's peak right now, and what a great way to snack with a fresh martlet pears. Kids love them and you'll find either redored gold barbet pears now in purduce departments everywhere.
Speaker 5: Leading roles were played by Frank Reddick and else. The brick Don Gardner speaking gang Busters is the Philip States Lord.
Speaker 4: Production, and that's tonight's KRLD presentation of Gangbusters. Tomorrow night, krl D invites you to relive again the timeless and thrilling escapades of the Green Hornets. That's tomorrow night at the same time on k r l D, the news authority k r l Z us