Speaker 1: Step into the world of power, loyalty, and luck.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna make him an offer you can't refuse.
Speaker 1: With family, canoli's and spins mean everything.
Speaker 2: Now you want to get mixed up in the family business.
Speaker 1: Introducing the Godfather at champacasino dot com. Test your luck in the shadowy world at the Godfather slot.
Speaker 2: Someday I will call upon you to do a service for me.
Speaker 1: Play the Godfather now at champacasino dot com.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the Family vdW group. No purchase necessary. I believe we're braveitted by loss. He terms and conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 4: Lucky Land Casino, asking people what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 5: Lucky in line at the Delhi I guess ah, in my dentist's office more than once. Actually do I have to say?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 2: You do?
Speaker 5: In the car before my kid's PTA meeting?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 7: Excuse me? What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 5: I never win?
Speaker 7: And tell well, there you have it.
Speaker 8: You can get lucky anywhere playing at Lucky landslots dot com.
Speaker 7: Play for free right now? Are you feeling eighty plus terms conditions?
Speaker 9: Play what Everydydian.
Speaker 1: You are?
Speaker 9: Now listening to True Murder the most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them Gasey Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker DTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host journalist and author Dan Zupanski.
Speaker 10: Good Evening. In August nineteen forty five, Gladys Lincoln of Sacramento contacted prosperous doctor W. D. Broadhurst of Caldwell, Idaho, and rekindled the romance from twenty years earlier. After many passionate letter exchanges and several sexually charged meetings, they were married in Reno, Nevada, on May twentieth, nineteen forty six, after a passion and passion filled three day weekend together. The doctor returned to his home in Idaho, and Gladys returned to Sacramento and to her husband, Leslie Lincoln. But Gladys was much more than a bigamist. Gladys needed something even she didn't understand. She married her first husband when she was twenty, and her second husband only fourteen months later. The second marriage lasted only two years, the third less than sixteen months. Leslie Lincoln was her fifth and doctor Broadhurst became her sixth. But what desperate need drove her to go from marriage to marriage? Then what dark mindset moved her and her young cowboys show for to commit murder? Find out Until Death Do Us, the gripping new true crime from Wild Blue Press author Patrick Gallagher, whose grandfather was Gladys's lead defense attorney during her sensational trial. The book that we're featuring this evening is Till Death Do Us, a true crime story of bigamy and murder, with my special guest, author Patrick Gallagher. Welcome to the program, and thank you very much for this interview. Patrick Gallagher.
Speaker 6: Thank you, Dan, it's my pleasure to join you today.
Speaker 10: Thank you very much. It's an incredible, fascinating tale back in the forties in the United States and small town America. Let's get right to this.
Speaker 6: You start off.
Speaker 10: About May nineteenth, nineteen twenty seven, and Gladys June Ralph and she's twenty Do you have it all? She's twenty years old and she's living in Minnedoka, Idaho, population two hundred. But tell us a little bit about her background with her parents, William and Anna, and her four siblings. Tell our audience a little bit about her background and just a little bit how she grew up.
Speaker 6: Well. Gladys was the middle of five children. She had four brothers, so she was the only girl in a strong Mormon family.
Speaker 11: And.
Speaker 6: All of her brothers married well and successfully. But somehow or other, Gladys didn't seem to achieve that. And I wonder how much that early upbringing had to do with her. You know, I have no evidence of anything inappropriate happening when she was young, but at one point she did make a comment that she was used to being hurt, so there may have been something there. But the main thing is that Gladys grew up in a fairly normal family. But she married young, and she married often.
Speaker 10: You say too, that her family really took the Mormon religion very seriously, and she didn't take it so seriously at all. You say more early. Yeah, yeah, you talk about early marriage too. May nineteenth, nineteen twenty seven. She's twenty years old. Tell us a little bit about this marriage to William Basil Hendrix and how long it lasted.
Speaker 6: Well, Gladys was, as we mentioned, only twenty That wasn't extremely young for those days, even today, a lot of girls get married by the time they're twenty. But her, her marriage lasted such a short amount of time, it seems to me that it must have been not good from the very beginning. And of course I've tried to make the book as true as possible. At one point I considered trying to add more to the story that was fiction, but I gave that up because I decided that my goal was to make this book as completely accurate historically as possible. And so I don't know much about her marriage other than the fact that it lasted such a brief amount of time. But then she married again so quickly right afterwards.
Speaker 10: You say, in August sixth, nineteen twenty eight, so less than a year later, and she was residing in Burley, Idaho. You say, in less than two and a half years she was divorced again. But in Burley she met a person you called the sweetheart, a young doctor chiropractor named Willis David Broadhurst w w D. As he wanted to be addressed, and he had a chiropractic clinic in Burley. How did they meet? How did the doctor and gladys meet, and what did they do? Once they did how was the relationship, what was characteristic of it?
Speaker 6: Well, I'm quite sure that Gladys was a patient of the doctors in his chiropractic practice, but they were all both Mormon, so they could have been that they met at church as well. This relationship didn't last a long time, but of course she's still married to another man, and we have to read between the lines from the facts that we know, and it's very possible that she engaged in an affair with the doctor, at least emotionally, and that result then her second divorce. It also resulted in the doctor leaving town, so that leads me to think that there really was something that went on there. He moved from Burleigh, which is in southeastern Idaho, to Caldwell, Idaho, which is way west southwestern Idaho, very close to the Oregon border.
Speaker 10: Now, you say, at the end of the second marriage, Gladys had the next seven years officially unmarried. And interestingly, she toured and sang. She's a multi instrumentalist and played in something called the Ralph's Novelty Orchestra.
Speaker 6: That's right. Ralps was her maiden name, and her parents and her brothers were all quite musical and they had a band that traveled around mostly in California, and it appears that she engaged these next seven years unmarried and traveling with the band. And probably he's enjoying a pretty good normal life at that time.
Speaker 10: You said. The next man that she marries is and named a man named Carol Anderson. They were unlike some of her partners, they were similar in age. She was there one year apart in age, and they married in January thirtieth, nineteen thirty nine. And at that time she invented a new middle name for herself, which was Elaine. And they were in Westwood, California, home of the new campus of the UCLA. How did Gladys feel about moving from this small place Burley five thousand population to Sacramento.
Speaker 6: Well, for a woman like Ladys who enjoyed the company of men and enjoyed being going out and going to shows, going to movies, going to dances, moving from a small town in Idaho to down in California, I was a pretty heavy experience. I think she really enjoyed that. She enjoyed the limelight. She enjoyed going out. That wasn't good for her marriage, but I think she enjoyed the broader field that she recognized down there. As far as her middle names go, I find that very interesting. Her birth certificate had no middle name at all. When she married her first husband, William, she chose a middle name of June. But now when she marries this last guy, this next gentleman, now all of a sudden, it's Elaine. So it shows that Gladys is it feels pretty free to alter the facts to suit her feelings and opinion at the time.
Speaker 10: Right you, righte that she likes big, strong men, and there's a big modern sawmill in the town and the Paul Bunyans from Westwood, California. But you talk about the fourth marriage to a gentleman named Virgil D. Warren June ninth, nineteen forty sixteen months after her third marriage, and you write that she was married at a Baptist church. Meanwhile she's Mormon. Just evidence that she doesn't take a religion as seriously as many would, I guess, or many do. And this Virgil is twenty eight years older, and he also worked at this sawmill. What was again, what was this? How long did this marriage last? And what was there anything interesting about this marriage? Incidental?
Speaker 6: Little? I think What's interesting, Dan about this marriage is that this husband also works in this big sawmill, and of course it was the biggest, most modern saw mill in the world. And as you mentioned, this company used the story of Paul Bunyan as kind of their theme. People always raise their eyebrows when I tell him that, because they equate Paul Bunyan with you know, Minnesota and Wisconsin in that part of the world. But he actually the stories actually emanated from this mill. They used his stories as advertising material. And but this next husband, now he's he works in the same mill, So that's got to have caused some real raised eyebrows around there. Did she have an affair with him? Did her current husband know him? If they didn't know each other, they surely knew people who knew both of them, So I think that must have really been quite quite a subject of gossip around the mill on those days.
Speaker 10: You say, within a year, Gladys moves back to Sacramento and files for divorce. World War two meanwhile was in full force. Who does Gladys meet just around that time, the tough strong man.
Speaker 6: Gladys That's right, another big strong guy named Leslie Lincoln. And Leslie was a lieutenant in the army, and they were actually married on base at Fort or Down in California. And shortly after they were married, Leslie was sent off to the East Coast to serve there and Gladys remained behind. She lived briefly with her mother in law, but most of the time she lived on her own while her husband was away at the war, and there's no evidence that he actually was in combat. I believe that he served his time in Washington, d c. But he was gone from home, and so in a way that was kind of a new exciting experience for Gladys. She was married, but she didn't have the husband to have to take care of him be near her.
Speaker 10: She had the freedom. What was interesting too, is when on the marriage license when they put occupation, what are some of the things that Gladys put interestingly on that marriage license.
Speaker 6: Well, she put that she'd been a teacher. And I've never found any evidence the Gladys ever was gainfully occupied other than her time served traveling with her family band. I've never seen any evidence that Gladys worked in any capacity other than as a musician.
Speaker 10: Yes, we talked about just a minute ago about the two and a half years of freedom that Gladys enjoyed until Leslie was discharged in nineteen forty four. They moved to Taft, California, until October nineteen forty five, and then they went to Sacramento, and Gladys wasn't having much fun. Apparently there was a new issue between that Leslie had to discover. What was that issue about Gladys that he discovered.
Speaker 6: Well, it turns out that Gladys had become addicted to a sleeping drug called nimbutol, which was a medication prescribed to help people with sleeping, but it also was a very deadly medicine if taken in large quantities, and was actually used to commit executions when people on death row were executed. This drug was used for that purpose sometimes. So it was a bad drug and she had become addicted to it.
Speaker 10: Now, August twentieth, nineteen forty five, you're write, Gladys sends it to somebody she knew from the past. Who does she send a telegram to? And you write that the message was never found, but likely the message, just the intent of the message would be. What tell us about this telegram?
Speaker 6: Well, Gladys has a little bit change of pace, here and previously looking for new husbands, she always found somebody newer and younger and stronger. But this time she looked to her past and she sent an email, excuse me, a telegram. They didn't have emails in those days. Now, she sent a telegram to doctor Willis David Broadhurst and Calledwell, Idaho, and she rekindled the relationship that they'd had twenty years earlier when they were in Burley, Idaho.
Speaker 10: Right now, she determined something. You write that and you get inside her mindset. But it's obvious that she does have some things that she needs to address before she can be successful in attracting this new paramore, this person from the past. What were those things that she knew that she had to have an order to be able to appeal to this doctor.
Speaker 6: Well, the first thing is she had to convince the doctor that she was not after his money. He had become quite wealthy. In fact, by this time, now twenty years after their earlier relationship, he'd moved to Caldwell. He'd been very successful. He still had a successful chiropractic practice, but he also had become a landowner. He owned a dairy farm in Calwell, Idaho, where he lived. He didn't do the dairy work. He leased it out to another dairyman, but he owned one hundred and sixty acres there in Calwell, just on the outskirts of town. He also had purchased a large cattle ranch in eastern Oregon that was measured in sections. He had several sections of land, thousands of acres of land where he ran cattle and had a ranch out there as well. And the doctor had been very successful and really his dream was to retire from his chiropractic work and to become a full time rancher. And so you know, he loved working on the ranch and engaging in all the cattle drives and the hanging and everything like that. So he's very wealthy. At this point, Gladys can't look like a gold digger, so she has a solution. She informs the doctor that she has inherited three million dollars from her aunt, Mary Johnson, who lived in Hawaii and had bequeathed to her her estate worth three million dollars. So therefore that makes her much more wealthy than the doctor, and she thinks that will eliminate any thoughts on his part that she's marrying him for his money.
Speaker 10: What about her stated marital status, which was pretty interesting what she say regarding that to him.
Speaker 6: Well, of course she can't marry the doctor if she's still married, and and of course she doesn't even want the doctor to know how many times she's been married. And so she concocts this story that her husband was killed in London during World War Two, and that he had a twin brother, an identical twin brother, who was very evil guy, and he had learned of her inheritance from her aunt Mary, and he was trying to assume the identity of her dead husband, Leslie Lincoln, and thereby gain access to this huge inheritance that she had coming. And I think the reason that she created this story is if for any reason, the doctor should come into contact with Leslie, she would be able to explain that, well, that's not really Leslie, that's my dead husband's twin brother.
Speaker 1: Step into the world of power, loyalty and luck.
Speaker 2: I'm going to make him an offer you can't refuse.
Speaker 1: With family, canoli's and spins mean everything?
Speaker 2: Now you want to get mixed up in the family business.
Speaker 1: Introducing the Godfather At Champa Casino dot Com, test your luck in the shadowy world at the Godfather Slodge.
Speaker 2: Someday I will call upon you to do a service for me.
Speaker 1: Play the Godfather now at Champa Casino dot com.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the Family vdW group. No perch's necessary. I believe we're privited by loss he terms conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 5: With the Lucky land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 4: It's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's fine, but we're just gonna circle up here a while and get lucky. No, no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick. So I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 5: Pay for free at Lucky Landslots dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void, We're prohibited by law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply. See website for details.
Speaker 6: So he had already made excuse in case something like that happened.
Speaker 10: So Leslie doesn't know about this correspondence, and that correspondence between her and the doctor is continuing. What happens, How does Leslie find out about this and what's his reaction?
Speaker 6: Well, as you, I think he mentioned earlier, Gladys and the doctor met in Reno, spent this three day weekend there, got married, and returned home. He was thrilled that he had a new wife, and she's attractive woman and younger than him. She was eleven years younger than the doctor, so he was quite thrilled with his new status. And he was quite a letter writer, and he wrote her a bunch of letters, and Gladys did her best to intercept those letters, but sooner or later she missed one and Leslie found it. Leslie actually found a letter from the doctor and a letter from the doctor's wife that showed that Gladys had now gone and created bigamy and married this doctor while still married to Leslie. So at that point everything blew up in their face.
Speaker 10: Now there's a person named Leo O'shay, and this will be interesting much later in this conversation. How does he fit into this around this time as well?
Speaker 6: Well, Dan, I'm reading between the lines on this again, But to me, the evidence points to the fact that she must have had some sort of relationship with Leo O'Shea at this time. So she's married to Leslie, she's I guess courting the doctor as the word to use here, at least trying to entice him, and had some sort of relationship with Leo, whether they were next door neighbors, lived across the street, knew each other through some other means, or even maybe had an affair. I don't know the truth on that, but very clearly she knew knew Leo at the same time. However, that ended and she went and married the doctor, and ultimately, when everything blew up and Leslie found out about it, she contacted the doctor and he came down and rescued her from the evil twin that he called that brute in one of his letters.
Speaker 10: So how does their relationship proceed and the divorce from Leslie proceed.
Speaker 6: Well? After Gladys gets back to Idaho with the doctor, when he picks her up, she's really really done a number with these drugs and she's groggy. She can't function very well. He's extremely alarmed. He takes her, spent a couple of nights in the hotel to kind of help dry her out a little bit, and then takes her back to Idaho, where he enlists the aid of another general practice doctor who's familiar with these drugs, and they do get her back on her feet to where she's functioning much more normally, and then they go to Jordan Valley. It's haying time. Jordan Valley, by the way, is the very small town in Idaho where the ranch has. Today it has one hundred and seventy five residents. In those days, it might have been a little bit bigger, but it wasn't very big. But they had all this acreage outside of town there, and so they're doing really well. However, lastly, of course, now that he's discovered his wife has committed bigamy, he's suing her for divorce and the sheriff in Idaho is given papers to serve on Gladys divorce papers from Leslie, and the sheriff doesn't find her because she's in Oregon at this time at the ranch. But when she learns the sheriff has been looking for her, she realizes she'd better get back to California and settle this divorce issue with Leslie before everything really goes crazy. And the doctor learns everything that will spoil all of her plans. So she needs to get back there and settle this divorce.
Speaker 10: And how does she arrange to be able to do that and cover her true intentions.
Speaker 6: Well, so there's a problem here, Dan Gladys doesn't drive. Now. I don't know if she doesn't drive because of her drug addiction or if she just never learned how to drive. Especially in the forties, thirties and forties, a lot of women didn't drive, or some women didn't drive. Might be she never learned, but for one of the reasons she doesn't drive. I need someone to drive her down there. The doctor says, well, I don't have time to take you down there. I mean I could be gone two or three days, but we're getting indoor haying season now and I've got to be here. And she says, well, it'll take a week ten days. The doctor says, I can't be gone that long. Well, she says, I need someone to drive me. How about Jack Gallagher? Well, Jack Gallagher, who's no relation of mine but has the same last name. He was a ranch hand, but he was about the same age as Gladys, And the doctor wasn't too keen on that idea. He didn't think that having his wife go down there with this hired hand for a week or two would look good and probably wouldn't go well. So he nicks that idea, so they looked at several other options and they finally settled on a young cowboy in Alvin Williams, who was an occasional ranchand for the doctor, he was only twenty three years old. He was just a boy, really, not a lot of experience in life, and his goal in life is to be a cowboy. That's what he wanted to do. And the doctor decided that he didn't think it would be a problem if Alvin would be willing to be her chauffeur, so he asked Alvin if he would drive Gladys down to California so she could take care of her business. Now. Of course, she couldn't tell the doctor that the reason she was going was because of this divorce, so she told him that the reason she had to go was to settle legal matters for this three million dollar of state that was pending coming from her aunt Mary.
Speaker 10: Right, they left August fifth, nineteen forty six, and they arrived in Reno, and immediately upon arriving they went to dinner and a movie. Because, as you're write, we didn't mention this, Gladys loves the movies and she was affected greatly by a couple movies, and we'll talk about that a little bit later. But she had her favorite movie stars, Ingrid Bergman and Betty Davis, and she loved the movies. So they're there in Reno and they go to a movie and the dinner and she suggests what in terms of living accommodations, Well, she.
Speaker 6: Says, well, Alvin, pretty late, we don't really need to check in the hotel. Let's just drive out in the country on nawskirts of town there and find a place to park, and we'll just sleep in doctor's car. They've got the doctor's car. It's a very nice, modern, big car and very comfortable. So Alvin says, oh, that'd be all right, And so they pull out into the country and find a secluded spot and hunk her down for the night. But it doesn't take long until Gladys starts seducing this young cowboy. She tells him, man, you look so much like my little brother that I just can't get over how much you look like my little brother, buddy. And she says, can I give you a little brotherly kiss? And he says okay, and so she kisses him on the cheek, and then she kisses him on the lips, and from that time on the whole rest of the trip they sleep together.
Speaker 10: It's interesting. The next day they drive to Trucky, California, where Gladys's brother Sterling owns a campground, and so he signs him a cabin for Alvin and Gladys a tent, and she asks Alvin to sleep with her right away. This seems to be just one of the events where she doesn't really pay it or doesn't really care for people if people see which her behavior as evidenced by this camp round in front of her brother.
Speaker 6: Yes, well, I don't know if her brother was where they were sleeping together. Alvin would come into her tint after it got dark, and then he'd get up early in the morning and go back to his little cabin. But they certainly did everything together, and she sat on Alvin's lap, and she was very familiar with him in a way that it's quite inappropriate for a married woman with another man. So I agree with you completely, Dan, She really didn't care what people thought.
Speaker 10: They go to a movie when they're on their trip here, the postman always rings twice as you write about it. What's this movie about the Well, see.
Speaker 6: It's about it's about a man and his wife who own a diner and they hire an employee and the wife becomes infatuated with that employee and they have a very torrid affair and ultimately they decide to murder her husband, the owner of the diner, and which they do. It doesn't end well for either one of them, of course, But after the movie gets out and Gladys and Alvin are driving away, her comment that Alvin was, Gee, it's too bad something like that can't happen to the doctor. And from that point on Gladys begins persuading Alvin to murder her husband.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's fascinating too. Again when we talk about that, she does not care what anybody, including her husband thinks. They have a visit with her brother Jean, Like I said, I think it's sterling or gene as you call them. What does she do in terms of taking what does she do with the wd's money, her husband's money on this trip besides going to movies and dinner. What else does she do for her cowboy chauffeur.
Speaker 6: Well, he liked being a cowboy and wanted to dress nicely, so she outfitted him with all new western wear with boots and leis, of course, not wranglers. Good cowboys don't wear wranglers. They wear Levia's and a fancy black shirt with white piping on the pockets and the cuffs and the edges, and a cowboy hat. She decks amount of just five and she's quite enjoying the freedom of having the doctor's money that he's sending her and driving the doctor's car. The doctor's paying all the expenses for this trip.
Speaker 10: And like you say, this trip is supposed to be for ten days or so, but it goes goes on much longer. What are the some of the kinds of things that they discuss in her persuasion with Alvin to commit this murder. What are the kinds of things she does to offer ammunition on her behalf? Especially interesting her warping of the Ten Commandments.
Speaker 6: That's right, she asked Alvin. You know, Alen to start with, Alvin was very reluctant to murder the and he never would have done such a thing it had not been for her persuasion. I know that. But she has got such powerful control over Alvin. She really has him wrapped around her finger, and so she uses a number of different tactics to persuade him to go with this, and one of them is she asks Salvin if he's ever read the Bible. Well, no, he admitted he never really had done much Bible reading. So she advised him that she actually was a minister of the Gospel. I don't know if she'd ever done anything that would qualify her as a minister of the Gospel, but that was her claim to Alvin. And she told him that the ten Commandments, if you break any one of the ten commandments, you might as well break them all, because once you've broken one ten commandment, you're a sinner and you're guilty. And so since Alvin was already committing adultery, then committing murder wouldn't be any worse because he'd already broken the ten Commandments. But that was one of her attempts to persuade him.
Speaker 10: Did she mention anything else and sweeten this sort of the deal with any details about abuse?
Speaker 6: She did, and I think of all the things she told Alvin, this perhaps may have been the most persuasive. She told Alvin that the doctor was cruel to her, that he beat her, and that he was just an animal and didn't deserve the Lena, And of course none of that is true. The doctor never he so infatuated with her, he never treated her badly, but Alvin believed her, and I do think that was very persuasive for him.
Speaker 10: Now, well, Leslie finds out that Gladys is back in Sacramento and where she's staying, so he calls the hotel and tries to arrange a meeting with her, and Gladys agrees to meet him in the lobby. I thought this was amazing. She introduces Alvin, but tell us a little bit about this exchange where Alvin is initially there, but the exchange between Leslie and Gladys in that hotel.
Speaker 6: Well, Leslie in Gladys met their hotel. She took Alvin with her, as you mentioned, but then Leslie said that he wanted to talk to her alone and told Alvin to get out of there, which Alvin did. He went into the bar and had a drink, and Leslie and Gladys decided that they would meet with their joint lawyers and sign the papers necessary for the divorce to go through.
Speaker 10: Now with that, there wasn't original attention or intention for her to go to be able to kind of cover her tracks? Was she finished with that mission now that she has met with Leslie? Was she free to go back? Had she covered her tracks?
Speaker 6: Yes? I think she had. And there's no reason why they shouldn't just now head back to Idaho. But they don't. And my guess is it's because she's having so much fun, and so Alvin and Gladys travel all over California. They go down to southern California, they go to Taft, they go up to Trucky, they go to Sacramento. They're just having a great time and they go to movies, they go to dances, they eat in nice restaurants. And this ten days to two week trip actually lasted seven weeks. They were gone seven weeks on this joy ride.
Speaker 10: How does she explain that? And is there any or is there any explanation and correspondence between her and WD and what does she how does she account for this extra incredible four weeks added to this trip?
Speaker 6: You know, I don't think she accounts for it at all. I don't see her ever giving him any good explanations. And he's the doctor, is just he's lonely and he's heartsick, and he doesn't understand why she's doing this, but he's very lonely, and he writes her a lot of letters while they're on this trip, and he constantly tells her, I don't understand, but I trust you completely. I don't understand why you are here. I miss you. I'm just so lonely without you, but I trust you completely. I know you're doing the right thing. So the Doctor's response to me is very perplexing, and and I don't think she ever really gives him a good explanation for why she's gone so long.
Speaker 10: She even tells him how much how nice Album has been treating her has been during the trip, and then she proposes to take for him to take a bus and meet them, and that they would return together, her and WD and and also she spoke of some kind of present that she had gotten for him.
Speaker 6: So what could this, you know, I just don't know. I mean, she tells him repeatedly, I've got a present for you, something really special, But I never see the present produced. I don't see that she ever really did give him a present. And as you said, she does invite him down to Trucky to spend the holidays down there with him, and so he comes down and they go to a rodeo and Alvin competes in the rodeo he gets he wins first buie for bear Brock riding, and they spend time there and then he takes the bus home. You know, I don't understand that, because she said, come down on the bus and we'll go home together. But something happened while they were there that persuaded him to go back alone without his wife. He does have a meeting with Alvin, and he talked to Alvin and pays him off and says, you know, as soon as this is over, I want you to be gone. But he does not get his wife to go back with him.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Now, what happened September seventeenth, nineteen forty six with Gladys.
Speaker 6: Coach me Dan what they drove?
Speaker 10: They drove to Reno.
Speaker 6: Oh yes, Well, in the midst of all this, after the doctor returns Diadaho, Gladys and Alvin go to Reno and they get married. So now Alvis is committed trigging me, which I had to look it up to see if it is a real word. And it is a real word. She was married to three men at the same time, to Leslie, to doctor Broadhurst and to Alvin, she used a false name. She didn't use her real married name to use the name Elaine Hamilton. Alvin used his real name and they were married there in Reno.
Speaker 10: They decide to head back, but she decides to visit her attorney D. D. Decot. Why would she do that? What was the purpose of that?
Speaker 6: I think the reason for visiting with her attorney was to finalize the divorce matters that they had going on there, and just to make sure that he was available for anything she needed down there in California. So when she was back in Iahoa, Oregon, if anything came up, the attorney would be on the case and be available to take care of it.
Speaker 10: Now Gladys and Alvin are discussing murder. Now one of their ideas involved Wd's cattle ranch. What was the idea that they were formulating regarding cattle and murder?
Speaker 6: Well, let us and Alvin. They talked about a variety of different ways of murdering the doctor. Once she's finally gotten persuaded to do it. Now they're trying to come up with, you know, the method, and she says, well, maybe while he's out riding, you can you can find him and kill him, but that doesn't seem to work too well because they don't know how well how successful they would be in that, and how they would dispose of the body and everything. So then they come up with a plan of the doctor every fall goes on a hunting trip, usually a two week hell hunting trip with a group of buddies. That's kind of an annual tradition. And so she says, well, maybe you can find your way up to where the hunting party is and kill the doctor. But that one doesn't seem to work too well because Alvin doesn't even really know where that was b And so they finally settle on a plan that after they get back to Idaho, when the Doctor advises that he'll be leaving the next day to go to the Oregon Ranch, that Alvin would leave ahead of him and park on the side of the road and pretend that his car was disabled and lure the doctor to pull over, and while they're out there in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of sagebrush country, that Alvin would do the doctor in So that was their plan that they settled on right.
Speaker 10: When they returned back from their trip. And you mentioned that WD has a conversation with Alvin and says, you know what you've done this and now here's your money and I want you gone. But what is the behavior Queen Gladys and Alvin even in the home of WD after they return, And we need to explain that their living arrangements that they have in JD's home with his nephew Floyd and his wife Lola, which is important.
Speaker 6: That's right. The doctor has a nice house outside of Calwell where the one and sixty acre dairy farm is, and he's got a nephew named Floyd, who's also a chiro factor that has moved there and is going to take over the doctor's medical practice. And so even before the doctor Mary Gladys, they were living together, the doctor and his nephew and the nephew's family. So when they get back on this long trip, whenever the doctor's there, Alvin kind of stays away or stays quiet in the background. At the very least, though, when the doctor's away from home, they just show no shame, you know. Lola observes Gladys sitting on Alvin's lap. She observes him when they think she's not looking to hug and kiss, and so she is putting loa to the nephew's wife is very disturbed by all that she sees, but she doesn't know how to react to it. You know, what do you do? She and her husband talked about it a lot, but they didn't think that Maybe maybe they just weren't sure if it was the right thing to make a big deal of it to the doctor because the doctor was so obviously happy with his new wife, and so they really didn't say much.
Speaker 10: Yeah, just before the doctor and nephew have plans to leave that Friday on their elk hunting trip normally would be two weeks on the Tuesday. What does Gladys say to w D when she's on the grounds that she's concerned for him? What does she say to him?
Speaker 6: Remarkably well, she says doctor, She says, you know, you need to have a will if if something happens to you on this hunting trip, I would be I wouldn't have enough money to even bury you. Of course, you know, at this point, I'm wondering what happened to the three million dollars, But that doesn't shut up in this discussion, and so she says, you need to get a will before you leave, and the doctor says, well, there's nothing going to happen to me, but she is really adamant, and she's really upset and makes a big deal of it. So the doctor goes into town, hires a lawyer, goes to his lawyer, and draws up a new will that cuts out every other relative he has and leaves everything he owns owns to Gladys.
Speaker 1: Judy was boring.
Speaker 6: Hello.
Speaker 7: Then Judy discovered jump a casino dot com.
Speaker 3: It's my little escape.
Speaker 7: Now Judy's the life of the party.
Speaker 5: Oh baby mama is bringing home the bacon who take.
Speaker 11: It easy, Judy, Jump the chumba life that's for everybody. So go to chumbucasino dot com and play over one hundred casino style games. Join today and playing for free for your chance to redeem some serious prices.
Speaker 7: Jump chumpacasino dot com.
Speaker 11: No purgas necessary weight. We're prohibited to my eighteen plus terms and conditioned to plus what's every details?
Speaker 7: Hello?
Speaker 8: It is Ryan and I was on a flight the other day playing one of my favorite social spin slot games on chumbacasino dot com. I looked over at the person sitting next to me and you know what they were doing. They were also playing Chumpa Casino. Coincidence, I think not everybody's loving having fun with it. Chumpa Casino's home to hundreds at casino style games. You can play for free anytime, anywhere, even at thirty thousand feet. So sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com to claim you're free. Welcome bonus. That's Chumbuck Casino dot com and live the Chumba Light No Burgs necessary dwod where every I lost the terms conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 6: So he does that before he leaves the hunting trip.
Speaker 10: Incredible. Alvin calls and invites Gladys and JD to a movie. Does he go? Does he go to the movie that night?
Speaker 6: He did, but he really did not want to. He was he was not fond of Alvin calling and sitting up events with his wife. But Gladys says, well, if you don't go, I'm going without here, and he didn't want to have his wife going with Alvin without him, so he went and they went to a movie and he also went to a dance. But he was very disturbed by this and just confused by what's going on.
Speaker 10: So he got a late start the next day. But when does Alvin arrive at the home.
Speaker 6: Well, Alan called on the phone and they're glad. He says, well, no, they haven't left yet, but you can come later this afternoon. So after the hunting party departs, Alvin shows up and Gladas says that he's sick and she needs to tend to him. So she puts Alvin in the doctor's bed and gives him a sponge bath, and all the while Lola, the nephew's wife the nephew went on the hunting trip. Also, Lola is just appalled by what she's observing here. She just can't believe the Gladys is treating her beloved uncle in such a fashion.
Speaker 10: It's interesting Lola to actually becomes friends with this woman and doesn't say anything to her brother, but she doesn't trust this woman. At the same time, it's very interesting what does let us tell her about again this big love of movies? What movie do they discuss and what does she say about her ability to take the life of someone else.
Speaker 6: Well, she talked about a movie where a woman had killed killed her child, I think it was. And a question to Lola was do you think you could ever kill somebody, And Lola was quite appalled by the question, and she said, of course not, I can never do such a thing. But it gave a little insight into the thinking of Gladys. She clearly murder was on her mind. Yeah. She also asked Lola another very interesting question about men and husbands, and Lola responded how much she loved her husband and I'm glad it said. I hate men and I hate sex, and I don't know why I ever got married again. Well, and yet that doesn't seem to apply to Alan. That's what I find most curious.
Speaker 10: Yeah. Now, back with the plan, Gladys thinks that they need a vehicle. They don't want to use Wd's car. Amazingly, they realize that it's not such a great idea, but she needs to buy him a car. And so what else besides what do they do in terms of going to get this car and this plan? And what else does he do when he goes back, what does he retrieve from his home, his parents home in Parma as part of this plan.
Speaker 6: Well, they hunt around, they go to Boissee, and they look for cars, and ultimately they find a young man that's got an old model t forward for sale, and they buy that. Included in that as some tools in the trunk, including a big, heavy crescent ranch, which comes into play later on. But then they also drive out to Alvin's parents' home in another little town nearby called Parma, and Alvin goes in and he retrieves a bed roll, and he also gets a shotgun from the house, and they then take those and go back back to Wd's ranch.
Speaker 10: Right, You write that during this two week period, Lola, Gladys, and Alvin would go to the movies, they go for drinks, they go out for dinner, they went to dances, and she would observe them cavorting with each other at these clubs, wouldn't Lola at that time?
Speaker 6: That's right? And she later testified that her reason for doing that was twofold number one. The doctor had specifically asked her to make friends with Gladys in his attempt to make Gladys feel welcome, So she was kind of following through with the doctor's wishes with that, But she also had her own motive, which was she really wanted to see what was going on between these two. She wanted to understand as full as she could what the relationship between Gladys and Alvin was right.
Speaker 10: You talk about the divorce decreed finally finalized October one, nineteen forty seven, between her and Leslie Lincoln, and then she was still talking about convincing Alvin, and now she was talking about buying him some whiskey to calm his nerves during this and also that when they returned, when the hunter's return October eleventh, again, it was very interesting that he refused to sleep because of.
Speaker 6: What well, because there was the sheets weren't clean, it was soiled. Alvin had been sleeping in his bed and some other somehow or other he knew that or perceived it, and and he was just he was disturbed, I think, to even see that Alvin was still hanging around, and so he refused to sleep with his wife that night. Wow.
Speaker 10: So how what? How do they continue with their plans? What things did they settle on in terms of how they're going to do this deed and when and some of the particulars.
Speaker 6: Well, as we've mentioned, they did decide that the plan would be for Alvin to waylay the doctor en route between Caldwell, Idaho and the Jordan Valley ranch, and he was murdered the doctor at that time. The plan was he would pretend his car was broken down and when the doctor would stop to give him aid that he would kill the doctor at that time, but again, as you mentioned, Alvin was still I mean, he was on board, but he was still really reluctant and nervous about this. So glad I asked him if he thought that if he had some whiskey to drink, if that would help him, and he said he thought it might. So she had to go buy a liquor license. In those days, he had to had to have a liquor license in order to buy alcohol, and of course they had state run liquor stores in those days. And she bought a couple bottles of whiskey for Alvin and he used those to steal his nerves while I was waiting for the doctor.
Speaker 10: M Now the plan goes awride just because WD doesn't go directly where he's supposed to go visits a friend, so it's a detour. And meanwhile Alvin is waiting on the side of the road before eight am.
Speaker 6: So tell us what Alvin gets there in the middle of the night.
Speaker 10: Yeah, So what does JD do in terms of the delaying these murderous plans for Alvin and Gladys and what happens on the side of the road in terms of people or a person seeing Alvin on the side of the road.
Speaker 6: And the doctor announced on Sunday evening, I'm going to the other ranch tomorrow. So Gladys tells Alvin get out there and get it done, and for God's sake, if you don't succeed, don't come back. So Alvis gets out there in the middle of the night and has his bedroll and he kind of sleeps in the car waiting for the doctor to get there. But Monday morning, the doctor he's not very cooperative here. He putters around and takes care of him bunch of errands and finally heads out late Monday morning. Then he only drives to the next town and he goes into a restaurant and he orders breakfast, and there he meets with a man that's going to help him do some work on the ranch, and they have a nice meal together and visit and talk, and so it's mid afternoon before the doctor gets going and heads for the ranch. Meanwhile, Alvin's sitting on the side of the road waiting. There's a farmer who's a neighbor of the doctors who He and one of his employees go from that farmer's ranch out to some fields to do some work, and they pass Alvin and then they come back for lunch to go. They come home for lunch and they still see Alvin sitting there. The farmer leaves and takes care of business, but the employee goes back to the field and sees Alvin for the third time in that time. He stopped. He said, have you got a problem? Can I help you with anything? And Alvin says no, It says, I got somebody coming to help me. I got my car's broken down. So that ranch hand heads on back to the ranch. So Alvin has been seen by at least three local neighbors or two notes three times by two local neighbors who have who who can identify him. I find it most strange that Alvin didn't abandon the plan at that time. But he didn't.
Speaker 10: Yeah, And now meanwhile Gladys at home with the observant Loyla Lola what is what are the kinds of things that she is doing? But also saying to Lola again to cover her tracks.
Speaker 6: Well, I think she takes her sleeping drug again. She's pretty drugged up, or might just the emotions, but she's just mumbling and staying in bed. And she tells Lola she's worried about the doctor because because a guy named Red Wells had threatened him, and she just isn't sure something might happen to the doctor. And it's all very strange behavior to Lola. She doesn't understand it at all. Gladys is really really emotionally beside herself, and the Gladys.
Speaker 10: Asked Lola to leave the door unlocked so Alvin could come over later, doesn't she.
Speaker 6: Yes, she does, and she's waiting for Alvin to come back.
Speaker 10: Yeah, but Lola locks the door though, regardless of what she had say, she did and locked the door right, yeah, now you write that. At about three point thirty pm, the doctor's truck finally comes into view.
Speaker 6: So the doctor's driving his pickup truck and he's pulling a horse trailer. He's got his favorite horse wrecks and the trailer and he sees Alvin and he almost drives by sounds like, but Alvin flags him down and doctor pulled over and and he came back and he said, what's the matter. Alvin, and Alvin says, well, I think my fuel pump's gone out. So the doctor leaned over the hood under the hood, leaned under the hood to look at the engine, see what he could see. And Alvin has this big crescent ranch in his hand that was in the trunk of the car when he bought it, and he slammed the doctor in the head with that crescent wrench and really hit him with a tremendous blow and broke his skull in the process. The doctor is knocked down, knocked maybe knocked out briefly, but when he comes to his senses to a certain extent, he realized that Alvin and hit him. But by this time Alvin he wants nothing more to do with this, and he gives the doctor a shirt to stop the blood that's coming from his head, and he wants to leave. But the doctor realized Alvin hit him, and the doctor rushed Alvin, screaming at him. Alvin then grabbed the shotgun and shot and killed the doctor.
Speaker 10: Coming by with a load of bailed Hay.
Speaker 6: What's trying to do, Alvin, here's a truck coming. Of course, we're out in deserted area, so you can hear him coming for quite a while, but here's a truck coming, and he grabs the doctor's body and drags it into the barrel pet on the side of the road and kind of behind the cars. The truck comes on by and passes, at which point Alvin then took the body deeper into the sage brush and then hid it. But then he had to do something with the doctor's pickup and horse trailer. So he got in the pickup truck and drove it way out quite a ways out into the sage brush and parked it got out, but he couldn't bear to leave the horse inside the horse trailer, you know, with no food, no water, and unprotected like you know, just inside the trailer. So he takes the horse out of the trailer and takes it, rode it a little ways, and then tied it to a big sage brush plant, and then hiked the back to where his car was, and he took his car and he drove away and waited until dark when he could come back and get the body and take it much farther afield and dispose of it in a way that nobody could find. So that was how Alvin handled all that once he was done with all that is now dark late at night. He then drives back to Caldwell and knocks on Gladys's window because the door's locked, and he tells her it's done. And she says, did he dispose of the evidence? And he said no, not yet. She said, well, go take care of that. So Alvin then left and disposed of all the evidence that he had.
Speaker 10: Now October fifteenth, ninety forty six, you say, mal maybe I'm mispronouncing. It's Malhur County and you introduced Sheriff Charles Glenn of Vale, Oregon.
Speaker 6: This is the.
Speaker 10: Investigation right away. What how does he look at this right away? This cher Charles Glen. Does he think there's some foul play right away? What's his first impression about this case?
Speaker 6: Well, it sounds like he isn't so sure at first, but and you're right, you pronounce it right. It's maw Here County and he's the sheriff in that county. He gets a call from one of the neighbors. And what happened is, you know, Alvin had tied Rex the horse to a big piece of sage brush, and after the horse trumped around that brush for quite a while he finally pulled the branch loose that he was tied to and he went running. He ran back to the road and he was running down the road in the middle of the night. This was late in the morning, it would be Tuesday morning.
Speaker 1: And u.
Speaker 6: And one of the local ranchers is driving along and he sees the horse and he recognizes it. He knows, you know that country and those times especially, but even today everybody knows their neighbors, and he was familiar with the horse. So he pulled over and stopped the horse and realized that something was strange about that. So he went looking to see where the doctor might have been. He thought maybe the doctor had been thrown off the horse or something. But he could not find the doctor. But he called the sheriff and told him he found this horse. Actually, first he called the family. First, he called the doctor, brought her family and said he'd found the horse, and Gladys Lola answered the phone to call Gladys to the phone, and this neighbor told Gladys he found the horse, and she said, okay, thanks for telling me, and she hung up and she told Lola, well, I think something's happened to the doctor. Then she went back to bed. The next morning, the neighbor called the sheriff and told him about the horse, and all the neighbors in the neighborhood joined in searching for the doctor. It didn't take him too long to find the pickup and the horse trailer, and so they knew something that happened to the doctor, but they could not find his body despite searching for several days.
Speaker 10: In terms of their theory that maybe he had truck problems. When they examined the truck, what was their verdict there?
Speaker 6: They started right up and drove just fine, so it wasn't vehicle problems. And by this time the sheriff, the law is involved. The sheriff Glynn, got his deputy, and he also got the Ontario the state trooper who stationed in Ontario, and even the Ontario city policeman, and they all went out and joined in the search for the body.
Speaker 10: You talk about that search, and it was extensive and many people involved. And eventually what did they find on the highway in terms of evidence that indicated something a foul had happened.
Speaker 6: Yes, they found some rocks with blood on it, and so a couple of the neighbors found that. So they drove to Veil to show it to the sheriff. By then it's the end of the day pretty much, and they took the show it to the sheriff and he said, well, it looks like blood to me, but we need to get a pathologist to confirm that. And so he tried one pathologist who wasn't available, and ultimately they chose a pathologist in Boise, Idaho, And these neighbors drove to Boise and took these rocks. So a doctor named Joe Beaman. By the way, I didn't put it in the book, but Joe Beamon was the father of one of my college classmates that I went to college with me. They took it, took it to Joe Beamon, and he confirmed that it was human blood, which point they took that back to the sheriff and told him. So now they knew that they most likely had a homicide on their hands.
Speaker 10: Now where do they get their first breaks of evidence from? I mean, you have everything from They they eventually find the model t Ford that Alvin had. But tell us how they proceed in finding out information very very quickly in this investigation.
Speaker 6: Well, Gladys and Alvin both went to the search scene because they felt like they needed the name, need to do that, to try and as an alibier to show that they were interested. And so they were there at the search scene. And you have to hand it to the law officers. They observed Gladys, they observed Alvin, They observed kind of how they treated each other, which of course was much more circumspect at this time. But they as they learned more about the family and the relationship of the family, they were pretty quick to think that Alvin may have had something to do with this, and maybe Gladys as well. Of Course, the nephew Floyd and his wife Lola, I think, also gave a lot of information about their misgivings about Gladys to the sheriff, So it didn't it wasn't long before they started paying closer attention to Alvin than Gladys and asking them questions and talking to them and trying to sess what their opinions were of them.
Speaker 10: You right that they Gladys had purchased a Model A, a nineteen twenty nine Model A for Alvin. They found this vehicle and he admitted it was his vehicle. What was the very interesting facts about what they found when they found that car.
Speaker 6: Well, I think it's very odd. You know, Alvin Gladys told Alvin to get rid of the evidence, and you know, anything he had that could have been evidence he threw in the river. But he had this car, and so he decided what he needed to do is changed the color of the car. So he went to the hardware store and bought a couple of cans of pain and the paint brush, and he he brushed painted this car and changed his color, which you know, I mean that seems almost called to me that anyone would think that would really help make a difference, especially because by the time the sheriff found the car, the paint was still sticky. They hadn't even finished drying yet.
Speaker 10: He did a couple other things. He changed this tire size from sixteen to twenty one inch. I don't know how much that much difference for the physical appearance. But and then there was a turtleback that was missing. But other than that, it was they had an easy time identifying his vehicle, like you say, when when it's black paint. Oh yes, and the paint was found in the car as well, wasn't it. And the paint life.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he left the can in the brush in the car. Yeah.
Speaker 10: So so how do they play this, like like you say this, this Sheriff Glenn and the Ontario Oregon State Police, they play this very cautiously. They're not rushing in with this. They are observing. So once they know that looks like Alvin is involved with this, then how do they deal with Gladys.
Speaker 6: Well, Gladas says she needs Alvin to drive her out to the ranch, and the sheriff says, well, he can't go with you. We're talking to him now, but you know this police officer, he'll be glad to give you a ride. So a policeman drives her out to the ranch. This is the Jordan Valley Ranch, so she can take care of some things there. They basically separate Gladys and Alvin from this point on so that they cannot confer, They cannot ask each other questions or give each other any more information, so they keep them separate. They take Alvin and they put him in the jail, and then they do a lengthy interrogation of Alvin. You know, he's a young kid, he's twenty three years old. He's scared to death, he's not a career criminal, he has no experience dealing with police, and it takes a lot of hours, but only hours before they break him down.
Speaker 10: Now, they don't reveal that information to her and then play it heavy with her. So there's a very interesting incident where they're both in the same place, risking for the police that they could see each other. Tell us about this sad situation that's very interesting.
Speaker 6: Well, Gladdie is concocting one alibi after another, and she comes up with a letter that basically says, if you don't give me what I want, the same thing that's going to happen to you that happened to the doctor. And she take that to her attorney and say, look, this letter was slipped under my door and I'm scared to death. So she and her attorney go to Vail and go to the Sheriff's office to show him this letter. Meanwhile, right the Sheriff's office is in the same building as the courthouse, and right there they're currently getting interrogating Alvin and getting his statement in the same building. So they tell Gladys to wait. Gladys and her attorney wait in some chairs in the foyer. They take Alvin out the side door and get him back to the jail, and then they bring Gladys into the same room where they've been interrogating Alvin. Or she tells them about this letter.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and in that interrogation. Amazingly, we spoke about this before the interview. Despite you would think that the police would have the power to determine lies from truth better than anyone else, because she's told a lot of do doozies with other people. What does she tell sheriff Glenn and these officials remarkably.
Speaker 6: And regarding what Dan well, just.
Speaker 10: The inheritance and the evil Yes, and.
Speaker 6: She sticks to her story. You're right. She tells the sheriff about the evil twin, you know, about the three million dollar inheritance, the evil twin who's trying to assume her husband's identity. She tries to throw suspicion for the murder of the doctor onto the evil twin and claims that that was him that left the note. And she sticks to all of her stories, which I find fascinating because it's very easy for the law officers to check up on the truthfulness of those stories. But she sticks to him.
Speaker 10: Let's go back just a little bit, because I think very important thing we didn't mention, I think is that when she was allowed to go back. Oh maybe no, No, pardon me, I'm I'm rushing ahead. Let's talk about the interrogation that finally gets her to not to admit, but finally leads to her arrest.
Speaker 6: The interrogation of Alvin.
Speaker 10: You mean, well, Alvin he is arrested, But what how do they finally he is arrested before Gladys is So, what what does it take for that event where Gladys is finally arrested for murder?
Speaker 6: Well, I think I fail to mention that when Gladys and her attorney went to Veil with this note, they actually first went to the sheriff in Calwell, Idaho, and the sheriff took them and went to Vail to show this letter to the Malgia County officers. And so when they returned, the sheriff interrogated Gladys, asked her some questions, took her to her home, and then ultimately arrested her there in Calwell, Idaho. So she is put in jail in Idaho. And one of the things I find perplexing about this is why they didn't arrest Gladys when they had her there in Vail, when she was in Oregon. Why didn't they just arrest her then? They must not have felt like they had quite all the evidence nailed down. Be my only guests, because once he's arrested in Idaho, now they have to extradude her from Idaho to Oregon. And so that's just that extual layer of work on her part.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and she doesn't want to cooperate in that regard. I know this might be out of context, but let's talk about when she goes with she's allowed to go to the home and gather some things from her bedroom, and she's allowed to go into that bedroom by herself. Tell us about this event, why it was allowed, and what does she do when she gets to that house and the result what she took from that home.
Speaker 6: Well, after she'd been in jail in Idaho for a few days and she didn't wave extradition, which meant that the state of Oregon had to go through the formal process, which takes quite a bit of time, has to be approved by the governor of Idaho. So she's sitting in jail in Idaho and she tells the sheriff. She says, you know, I need to go back to the ranch and get some fresh clothes. I can't just wear these same clothes all the time. And and I find it, I find it amazing that the sheriff agreed. And so the sheriff and his deputy and Gladys and her attorney get in the car drive from the jail out to her Idaho farm. And then the law officers and the attorney sit in the living room and visit while Gladys goes into her bedroom and closes the door. And so while she's in there, she does a couple of things. Number One, she destroys a bunch of letters and stuffs them down the heat register, and then she takes another bunch. She's got a whole stack of letters. And there's a pasteboard box, a cardboard box, kind of a rectangular box that's decorated with points set of flowers, and she stuffs all these letters into this box and close. Then she comes out of the room carrying a little suitcase with some clothing in it, and this points at a box, and the sheriff says to her, well, I don't know what's in that box, but if you take that back to the jail, that subject being seized by us. So she turns to her attorney, and at this point her attorney is an Idaho attorney, and she turns to him and she says, here, you take this, and she hands that box to him. They return to the jail and she goes in there with her fresh clothes, but the attorney leaves and takes that box with him.
Speaker 10: Incredible. Now, this story, in this case captivates the imagination of people not only in the area, but in the state and nationwide. This is a sensational story. She needs a defense lawyer, and you mentioned that she just handed her lawyer. I think his name is Groom. With that point, set a box. Now, your connection to this story, as we just alluded to in the beginning, is that your grandfather was Goddess's lead defense attorney, and your father was also an attorney in partnership with your grandfather. But I say, tell us a little bit about this incredible connection you have to this case.
Speaker 6: Well, of course, one of the big things that the law ofsers have to do is they have to determine exactly where the murder occurred, because it happened very close to the border between Idaho and Oregon. And so once they finally placed the actual side of the murder, it turns out it's in Oregon. And so now the trial, if She's going to be put on trial, and if Alvin's going to be put on trial, well it has to happen in Vale, Oregon, which is the county seat of Malhere County. So she's got her California attorney, Dacot, that's helped her with her with her marriage issues. She's got her Idaho attorney Groom, but she needs an Oregon attorney, and so she hired my grandfather. And I grew up living right next door to my grandparents. My dad and my grandfather were partners in their law office, and our house was right next door to theirs. My dad, at the time of this trial, had been elected to the House of Representatives in Oregon, so he was in session and he was not available for the trial, but my grandfather was, and so they hired my grandfather. His name was also Patrick Gallagher, Patrick Jay Gallagher, and he went by PJ. And so my granddad was her lead defense attorney, and he had the assistance of the California lawyer Deco and the Idaho lawyer Groom, and he also hired another Idaho attorney named William Languisi, who they had a close relationship. So there were four attorneys on the team, but my grandfather was the lead attorney.
Speaker 10: Like I say, it was a sensational trial, and it was a vigorous defense. Many motions were trotted out but were defeated. It didn't take long for the jury to make its decision. And at California it was a death penalty case. What was the result? What was the result of that trial?
Speaker 6: Well, I found I have the entire trial transcript, which took quite a bit of work for me to find, but I got him and I was very fascinated to read the entire trial. My grandfather never called a single witness. He interrogated, he cross examined a lot of the state's witnesses, and he made a lot of emotions. And you know, I think one of the interesting things in the book is when you read it, judge, how granddad did, you know, did he make the right choice to not call any witnesses? And if he had wanted to, who would he have called and what would they have said? You know? But I think that his plan, his method of defense was to try and discredit the witnesses with the state put forth. However, he was overruled in all those attempts. So she was convicted. And in Oregon, as you mentioned at this time, first degree murder, which is what she was convicted of, carried an automatic penalty of death by lethal injection the gas chamber, I mean death by the gas chamber. However, the jury did have the option of requesting life instead of execution, and for women, up to this point they had never executed a woman, and so all juries seem to favor life for women. And that's what this jury did, is they elected to convict her with a request for life in prison.
Speaker 10: And you say they were paroled. One was nine. She was paroled after nine years, and he was paroled after ten years. And she was only fifty years old when she was released, I believe. Interestingly, you write near the end of this you write that she wrote someone from the past in nineteen sixty one and a letter similar to the one she wrote to doctor Broadhurst back in the day. Who was this person that she wrote and eventually married.
Speaker 6: Well, that was our friend Leo that we talked about earlier, you know, and again, this is why I really believe that she knew Leo back when she was married to Leslie back in Sacramento. She contacted Leo and ultimately married him and they moved to Sacramento. She remained married to Leo the rest of her life and died while they were still married in Sacramento. Yeah.
Speaker 10: Interesting the point set of box. You write about this and not at the beginning of the book. Interestingly, and I know the reader will know why. But this point set a box and your inheritance tell us about this.
Speaker 6: Well, my father died in nineteen eighty that's forty years ago now. When he died, I inherited a family trunk that he had inherited from his parents, and it was kind of a half steamer trunk, was about half the length of a normal steamer trunk, and it was full of family family memorabilia. There were photos of my dad and his siblings when they were kids, a lot of family letters. My grandfather spent time back in Washington, d c. As a lobbyist, and while he was gone, he wrote a lot of letters to the family and they were all kept in there, and letters from other family members. But buried in the very bottom of that trunk was this pasteboard box decorated with points out of flowers, and that was the same box the Gladys had turned to her attorney and handed you know now seventy three years ago, and that box has been buried ever since then.
Speaker 10: And you provide information that has never been seen as you're right, for seventy years.
Speaker 6: That's right, that drive that at all, nobody's seen this stuff, and that becomes the backbone of my book.
Speaker 10: Fascinating.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 10: What was the overall take again when we look at this as a sensational trial, was there any sympathy for Alvin at all in his depiction? And how is Gladys portrayed at that time?
Speaker 6: Well, Laddie was the evil one, the embodiment of evil.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 6: I think one of the big challenges for the attorneys was to find yours who would be impartial in making a judgment on this case, because this was big news. It was a big deal. It was in all the newspapers in the area, and as you mentioned earlier, even nationwide. I've googled and found newspaper articles from the Boston Globe and from a newspaper in Phoenix, Arizona, and from a newspaper in Spokane, Washington about this trial that were dated back at the time of the trial, So it was big news and it was I think a subject of conversation in most households of the day. And Gladys was the evil one Alvin, you know, I mean, he was a murderer, there's no question about that. But I think even the law recognized that he never would have done that had he not been influenced to do it by Gladys. And that's why they allowed him to plead guilty to second degree murder, which carried a life sentence but no possibility of execution. And so you know, she was convicted the first degree murder. He pled guilty the second degree murder. They both served their sins in the same prison, of course, not on the same side because they're different genders, but they both were in prison in Salem. They both had life. She was paroled after nine years, he was paroled after ten years. And the community was irate when she was paroled after only nine years, and they just couldn't believe that this evil woman who had so plotted so carefully for a great amount of time the death of her husband and did all she could do influences to occur. They were just appalled that she could get out of prison already, and yet she did.
Speaker 10: Absolutely, it's a fascinating story. Till Death Do Us a true crime story of bigamy and murder. It's been a fascinating interview and it's an incredible book. Patrick Gallagher, Thank you very much. Is there a Facebook page that people might take a look more information about this book, Till Death Do Us?
Speaker 6: Yes, of course. The book is available on Amazon. It's also available to the publisher's website, wildbluepress dot com. And I have a Facebook page. It's Patrick Gallagher author, and you're welcome to go on there and gives information about the book and shows a picture of the cover. And I'll be happy to answer anybody's questions if you have any.
Speaker 10: That's great. Thank you so much, Patrick Gallagher. Till Death Do Us a true crime story of bigamy and murder. Thank you very much. You have a great evening.
Speaker 6: Thank you, good night, Thank thank you, by good night. You know