Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families. Each Wednesday we bring you our thoughts on a newer entertainment property, and for this week of March seventeenth, we're finishing up with A Man on the Inside, Season one, episode eight, The Spy Who Came In from the Cold, which is the first like not punny title.
Speaker 1: I believe it's just like an actual title.
Speaker 2: Or something, isn't it. Yeah, I believe it is.
Speaker 1: So abandoned all pretense right, so fun fun spy show here and just yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Was crying they did dispense with the who done it in the first about five minutes.
Speaker 1: In the saddest possible way. It wasn't even an actual thief. It was just the nice lady in the memory care unit who did not realize she was stealing. Right, So the whole thing is just a nothing. Yeah, the whole thing was just nothing.
Speaker 2: Was this the theory that you had.
Speaker 1: Was not the person made a theory in the wake of parents and kids. Man, parents and kids thought that the old lady had faked the theft to get the attention of her son. Oh, honestly would have been better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes sense for sure.
Speaker 1: Because she wants to go live with him or whatever and thought that this would be a way to do it. And but mark Evin Jackson is not having it.
Speaker 2: He his scene was funny. He was just like, ah, you solved it, ye, great, okay, Like.
Speaker 1: Charles is giving him the whole pitch about loneliness and why didn't you come visit? And I didn't see you the whole time he was there, and he does not care. Take your paycheck and go away, right, And honestly we met his mother, yeah right, but you know she she raised that. Yes, from a parent point of it's true. So there's not something that happened yesterday. Years and years and years of parenting resulted in him wanting to have absolutely to do with.
Speaker 2: This is true.
Speaker 1: Be an ungrateful bratt also, But it doesn't seem like right. Seems like I will put her up someplace nice. That is, that is as far as I'm willing to go right.
Speaker 2: Yes, but so and we had DD.
Speaker 1: By the way, I should say that you're crying, you're you're you know, tearing up. We had the captions on, and the number of times that the captions told us that this was poignant music was.
Speaker 2: My audience is leaving there, okay, no longer interested in what we have to say.
Speaker 1: Not poignant music.
Speaker 2: We're out of here. But it's one's coming back, coming back, Okay.
Speaker 1: He lost us often say suspenseful music, Yes, captions, but still I felt like it's they needed to make sure you knew they didn't want you missing No Danny tear jerking opportunity. Well, you know again, we as we've been talking about in the last number of episodes, at this thing bait and switch on this show was pretty significant. Yeah, and I am not happy about that. I mean I'll watch the next season when they are good. The writing is good, it's entertaining. But it was sold as a fun detective romp and it became a reflection on aging, which, by the way, Netflix had an article about the end where it was swissly explaining the ending, which who needs what do you mean? It's necessary? But it was a lot of Mike Sure and Ted Danson talking about people getting older and how you you know your kids don't have as much time for you, and we don't value old people enough, all their experience and all of them. There's going to be a book. I swear there's going to be a book. It's going to be Mike Sure or it's going to be Mike Sure and Ted Danson. But there's going to be a book.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sure got the taste of it after writing a book about Heaven for the After the Good Place. They got two episodes into this thing and all of a sudden they thought, wow, man, all the people, we should write a book, And then yes, this is and it's fine. I mean old people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well you just have to go into it knowing that that's what you're getting.
Speaker 1: I don't I wouldn't necessarily avoid that show, But I would like to have known that was the show I was watching and not had my hopes up for fun detective stuff right with punny episode titles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know the.
Speaker 1: Actressho places Julie must have started looking at the scripts as things went on and went, wait a minute, wasn't that kind of a main character in this at one point?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I did enjoy her sarcasm, yes, yes, but then even.
Speaker 1: A little bit of spice every time she came in.
Speaker 2: But although even in the ending she was called upon to be serious and tell Dedie that she needed to keep her job because she was good at it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, so the salt shakers were connected.
Speaker 2: To the case, that's right, Yes, she took the salt shakers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and something else that I can't remember.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's a whole bunch. They were all laid out on the table, it was like. And also that necklace that they showed like they showed it again could not have looked cheaper or faker like to try, you know, like this is supposed to be important enough for him to have hired a private detective to find out what happened. That thing looked like it came out of a gumball machine, like, really, what are you doing.
Speaker 1: Value?
Speaker 2: Yeah, those people weren't sentimental in any way, that's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it just sort of contributed to the whole nothing burger iness of this thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the case, so he.
Speaker 1: Got another case for next season conveniently. Yeah, we knew that would happen, but is it going to be an actual case?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: No more reflecting on the state of aging right in the twenty twenties. You know, okay, only it's only eight episodes. You would think they would be able to sustain a theme through eight episodes. It's not like you had to be like Lost, where you say, oh crud, we have five years of episodes that we have to fill with this tiny little idea. We had eight episodes. You gotta kearticulate, Yes, but pleasant people to watch. The whole Elliott Watch things seem off to me. I kept thinking that was going to come back and be a little stinger at the end, that that wasn't really what happened, right, I don't remember how they even brushed that off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they just said that, I don't I forgot her name, Gladys, Yeah, the one who the one who did she Yeah, they said that she sort of heard people kept talking about watches because of the rolex that they were using as a as a as bait, and she decided she wanted to give him a watch too or something. I think that's how they tried to explain it. Yeah, okay, Yeah, it wasn't strong.
Speaker 1: No, no, everything about this was not strong. I mean you feel like bad to complain because it's a switch about all people, old people. We should pay more attention to old people and what shows about them and care about their lives and you know, not need a detective show to lure us in unsuspectingly. But what are you guys doing?
Speaker 2: What are you doing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but fortunately everybody people were mad at Charles for like five minutes and then yah, it's okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah it took It took Calbert a little longer, which you know, fair absolutely like at least one person was legitimately mad.
Speaker 1: Right, seemed like he was like abruptly completely mad and shutting him out. And then abruptly you think Dee Dee said something to d.
Speaker 2: D said something to him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it just it had to it had to go one way and then the other in a very short period of time, right, And you know, nobody wants people to be mad at him, So let's let's move this along. No, well, how about a wedding next season?
Speaker 2: They can be partners in crime, right and not crime? Right.
Speaker 1: I really would have liked Charles to move back into that place, because I know.
Speaker 2: I thought he would.
Speaker 1: But yeah, maybe maybe next season. Yeah, I don't know, depending how many of these people they have on contract for season two. Right, But but at least he's my husband.
Speaker 2: Go back and visit now, like you know, he'll be invited back.
Speaker 1: That's right. Yes, he can keep coming and I'll probably play play backgammon with Calvert and go over his cases and everybody will help him out. But speaking of the sentimentality of it all and just I mean, even though it's not what we signed up for, it still was very sweet and lovely. Yes, my husband was not as charitable. He's like, they solved the mystery at the beginning. What's the rest of this car?
Speaker 2: Right? What are we sitting here for another?
Speaker 1: Hurry up? Already? What's going on that? He was like really ticked because he had completely signed up for a detective thing. He likes detective things. Yeah, he likes spy literature. He likes that stuff, so that's what it was supposed to be, And so he was extremely impatient with what he was stuck with. Yes, I don't think the Poignan music worked on him at all.
Speaker 2: Also, there is you know, rather a big hole in that she didn't pack her own stuff to move from yeah, the main area to the memory care.
Speaker 1: He noticed the salt shakers. Yeah, Yeah, that was I saw somebody online bring that up. And the explanation that somebody gave them was that maybe she had that stuff all packed up in her room and never unpacked it. She had things like for different different productions and different things.
Speaker 2: So maybe right she had it stuff squirreled away in a drawer or box or something that just got moved if.
Speaker 1: She hadn't already bind up and they just moved the bins. Yeah, because if she had them out, somebody would notice them out. Yes, So that I suppose, like, boy, people are organized, man, Charles has that like whole room full of nicely binned items. Boy, they had those at my house. It would just be like open the door to the room and just there'sself everywhere. It's the piles and bags.
Speaker 2: And remember on friends Monica's closet, like because she was, you know, known for being incredibly fastidious and organized, but she had this one closet that if you opened it up, it just would, like, you know, a tidal wave of stuff would can tire out Mine's not far behand.
Speaker 1: If my husband and daughter were having to pack up my stuff, it would be much more difficult. And I would totally have kept that T shirt. Are you kidding me? Yes, a nice T shirt. I might wear it again.
Speaker 2: It has memories, yes, but yes, I'm with you that you know. It was not what we expected, but it was also very sweet, and I enjoyed the the characters.
Speaker 1: Kind of like parenting, that's not what we expect, not what we decided that we enjoyed the characters.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent.
Speaker 1: And we wonder why people didn't notice things that seem to be right out in front of them. And people say they're going to do one thing and then they do another, or they you expect them to do a job for you, and instead they just want to tell a story or you know.
Speaker 2: Give you the weather report.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, do anything else.
Speaker 2: But maybe Mike Sure is actually going to write a book about parenting.
Speaker 1: He might He talked talks about his teenage son a lot on the podcast, which I stopped listening to, but I used to, and so I was thinking that that probably informed all the scenes of Emily's sons. Yes, because he's you know, that's about the attitude he has when he's talking about his kid. But I got to give points to Calbert. He's a you know, seems like a fairly mild manner gent but man, he managed to guilt his kid out of Singapore. He's got some skills, yes, parenting kids.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he's uh, you must have just really poured on that.
Speaker 2: That's okay, you can leave me alone. And then the kid had to do that.
Speaker 1: But we'll find somebody else to play back.
Speaker 2: And now he gets to go to the cafeteria for free food. What do they call it? The culinary center? I believe? Oh my, well, are we ready to move on?
Speaker 1: Sweet gentle series with lots of poignant music? Oh, by the way, we should. We can't get out of this without saying, hey, Darcy Carton, we see you there for a second and a half. Just a very players have to pop in here and there. So maybe he'll keep lecturing, or she'll they'll find ways to work her in next season. Yeah, that would be fine, be nice, because she's the one who has a mystery to solve. A good place person will be the client each season.
Speaker 2: Yes, that would be fun.
Speaker 1: M Okay, so well, now that's from this nice, genteel, quiet, lovely reflection on aging with music. What are we going to watch next game?
Speaker 2: We have we have solved this mystery. So we are going to start a new show. We're going to move from northern to southern California. Yeah, but we're staying on Netflix. This show is called Running Point and it is. It stars Kate Hudson as the daughter in a family that owns a basketball team, and she, for reasons becomes uh, gets put in charge and uh. It's again meant to be a comedy.
Speaker 1: Walk as hilarity and ser Yes, so we will find out what I've seen of it. I don't expect much poignant music good. I think Brenda's song is in it. Who I remember as London Tipton many a year ago and the sweet Life of Zach and Cody. But she apparently has a there's a reel of her on social media just like cussing incessantly. Okay, that'll be fun. I my daughter, Hey, you want to watch this show with us? We're Brenda song curses. That'll be fun. So it should be a whole different thing. But whether it will in the end turn out to be a reflection on being part of a big family and the position you're uncomfortable with poignant music, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Succession, but funny, we'll see to watch Succession. I did not. I did not either.
Speaker 1: But my my husband is just straight out refusing to watch this one. He's not interested, well running, possibly because of the cussing.
Speaker 2: Ah, yes, that's not his ches though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and also, you know, glorifying people who own sports teams probably not a thing either.
Speaker 2: Well, they may turn out.
Speaker 1: Keeping them a show making fun of them.
Speaker 2: Is I think they're going to be made fun of.
Speaker 1: I believe so, But I think even that, Yeah, just he wants to hear nothing about them whatsoever except that they make good decisions right to keep his teams winning. So I'll be sitting alone on the couch watching this one. All right, that's fine, that's fine.
Speaker 2: So well, next week we'll talk about the pilot, the first episode of that.
Speaker 1: I guess it's not really a parenting lessons we're going to.
Speaker 2: Be getting Well it's a lot about siblings, so yeah.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hold on, let me just I don't know, I don't know what the I called it a pilot. It's not a pilot if it's like a Netflix show that they made the whole thing. Yeah, but the first episode is as follows, is.
Speaker 1: Called suspenseful music.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh guess what. It's called S one e one pilot. You can cut off this.
Speaker 1: Airplane, yeah, see, and it crashes in a basketball stadium.
Speaker 2: And there are ten episodes, so okay, catch us back here in ten weeks discussing whether or not this was actually a comedy.
Speaker 1: We thought it was going to be a raucous comedy with lots of cursing, and really it was a thoughtful reflection on sports and family.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, at any rate, we will see you back here tomorrow for our weekly Roundabout round up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at amazon dot com slash Shop slash Mamitude, but you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.