Speaker 1: It's nice eyes. I'm going easy Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, Madison. Hope all of you had a great weekend and are ready for another week of night side, starting off tonight on Monday Night with Rob Brooks back at the control room. Rob still recovering a little bit from his under the weather period last week, but he's getting better, that's for sure. Sound died great when I talked to him tonight, and I hope all of you are doing as well as we hit. We're a little bit past the halfway point in June, believe it or not. It's unbelievable actually that we are halfway more than halfway through June, as in one of my texters mentioned to me today, And we really haven't had any great weather. I mean it's been rather rainy or hot. So anyway, we'll talk about that. We have a bunch of things to talk about. We will be talking about the trade of I don't know if you want to call it a trade or the salary dump of we hardly knew ye. I'm gonna be talking with Dan Watkins at eight forty five of the WBZ Newsroom. Dan is a big sports guy in a big radio news guy as well, and we will then spend the nine o'clock hour talking about this swap, if you want to call it that. But first we're going to talk with Mark Coscenza. Mark is a senior vice president at Global Partners. Global Partners is urging the Massachusetts Department of Transportation Voard of Directors to reconsider a recent recommendation to award the redevelopment of some eight eighteen highway service plausas to a privately equity backed foreign owned corporation. That's a mouthfill for anyone. Mark, You're a senior VP at Global Partners. I can understand why you're disappointed.
Speaker 3: Hey, Dan Oia, Yeah, I'm happy to have you on.
Speaker 2: And I can understand you're a local, your big, strong, local company and apparently the company that won this is a company that comes to us via Ireland.
Speaker 3: No, that's correct. You know, when you think about Global, we're a fourth generation, family owned company right here in Massachusetts. We've been here for over ninety years, for nearly a century, we've been providing fuel and energy to the commonwealth reliably through every storm and season. Right We're we're more than that. We run our all town Fresh Concepts as well as our honey farms market convenience stores. And it's really about fresh, local, and we're building around the guests and the experience. We're not just based there. We built here, Our families are here. This is our state. You're all our neighbors and our future.
Speaker 2: So then what can be go I'm wrong? What could have gone on here? I assume that everybody had a chance to apply what they call it RFP, a request for proposal. Why were you guys not at the top of the class.
Speaker 3: Well, that's that's a that's an interesting question. We're we're a little puzzled ourselves. The team here worked really hard with a lot of local companies to prepare and submit our bid, and as we as we think about it and comparing our offer to what we read in the Globe late last week, our offer was fifty percent higher from revenue to the state. And when you think about that over the over the thirty five year period of the contract, that's over five hundred million dollars of lost revenue to the State of Massachusetts. And as a practical matter, that money could go to roads, bridges, and tunnels and to increase the infrastructure and rebuild the infrastructure of Massachusetts.
Speaker 2: How many of these? There's eighteen of these locations? I think? Is it fourteen a run the turnpike and four off the turnpike on one eight? Is that the numbers? Is that of the breakdown?
Speaker 3: There's a lot on the mass Pike, two on one twenty eight, two on route twenty four and then went up in Beverly and went down and don and Barnstable.
Speaker 2: Okay, So this this was this was a bid all in it was winner take all.
Speaker 3: Correct, Yes, okay?
Speaker 2: And how much experience have you guys had, I know that's a big Massachusetts company. How much experience have you had running plazas like the ones that you were bidding on?
Speaker 3: Sure, I'll take a step back for one second if I may. Since two thousand and nine, we were part of and continue to run the Connecticut Turnpike and Mayor Parkway locations from a fueling and convenience store perspective, but focusing in on the Commonwealth. We stepped in uh later in the contract due to some of the other tenants leaving and stepping in and working with the with the Commonwealth. We operate the convenience on the mass Pike and we are the master tenant to the state on the Route twenty four Barnstable and Beverly locations, and we stepped into those locations late in the contract, which I believe was signed back into the year two thousand, the original contract.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you have experience in Connecticut, which is another New England state. No problems. I assume in Connecticut that every every place is going to get some criticism it. No substantive problems you dealt with down there, No substantive problems you've dealt with here, Nothing in the skeleton in the closet or anything. As I'm referring to. I'm referring to John Cesto's piece in the Globe from last week. So you you come to this thing with some experience in state and out of state. You have clean hands. You actually may have bailed them out if you stepped in for other groups that were not fulfilling their commitments previously. You're gonna your contract would generate an extra you tell me, five hundred million dollars for the coffers of the common Wealth. It's not like we're fleshed with money. Why would we. It's there's something not mist there's something missing here and I'm assuming you can put your finger on it. But someone from the Commonwealth I think has to step up and explain why they would go across the Atlantic to a company uh and give them the entire deal here at a higher price than a great local company or am I missing something? If I'm missing something, please tell me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that was that was an excellent recap. We're extremely puzzled and we'd like to get to the bottom of it, especially as we reconciled our proposal to the Global article late last week, being very taken back not being the success full uh recommended bidder by the committee and and understanding and knowing that our that our rent structure over the term of the contract was worth another five hundred million dollars to the Commonwealth.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm going to ask you the tough question now that that you're probably not ready for. But but I'm going to ask it, and I hope you give me an answer. Uh. Are you at this point sitting down with attorneys and saying, hey, we might get we may have been jobbed here. What can we do about it?
Speaker 3: Look, we're we're we've digested the feedback we got late last week, and we're exploring all of our options. But we're we're looking first and foremost for the for the for the masks, doot to explain and reconcile for us the differences from the article that was disclosed to our to our offer and our bid during the process.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're not naive, and I'm not naive. I'm assuming you you're going to have attorneys involved.
Speaker 3: Here, Like what like, I know, tell me what you tell me?
Speaker 2: All options. I know what all options means. Okay, but there's nothing like you know. I want you to be straight with me, to be really honest with you. I'm being straight with you. I think you would be fools if you didn't have lawyers looking at this, because there there's too many questions here.
Speaker 3: Well, we're looking. We're just looking for answers, and I think communication with the mascot should be able to reconcile that for us.
Speaker 2: Well, I would still have lawyers. That would be my advice, simple as that. I know you don't.
Speaker 3: Well, I like anything, we'd like, we'd like to we'd like to solve it commercially and just get a reconciliation and an understanding of the of the big gap, not only global being local, working with local contractors and local uh you know, food providers and and and partners, but also the gap and the economics to the to the to the commonwealth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it just seems to me that that even if it was a close call, you might want to give it to the home team. And it doesn't sound to me as you have described it. I haven't looked at these documents, but I'm assuming you're being honest with me, which I know you are, it doesn't look like a close call. I mean, if the other company was just beat you on the bid, I'd say, hey, you know, sharpen your pencil next time. But this one again, John Cesto's piece in the Globe caught my eye last week. Masked Dot to overhaul pike service plazas. That's a good thing, but selects Irish firm to redevelop all eighteen of the stops. They swept the board here. I don't know what can what can listeners do if they want to, you know, rattle a cage or shake a tree. Any any advice? I mean, you know, most people.
Speaker 3: Absolutely dam There's a final vote on Wednesday, June eighteenth, at noon. The public is allowed to attend, and we encourage you to attend. You know, the decision affects all of us, you know, residence travelers and the business owners. So we encourage folks to go down and voice their opinion. You know again, you know we're we're just looking for answers. Global is a local company that that we're just trying to understand a large gap in the in the revenue.
Speaker 2: Okay, So who in who is it that makes this decision? Is it the Secretary of Transportation and the governor? Who who makes this decision on Wednesday? If this is the ultimate.
Speaker 3: Decision, it's the mask top board.
Speaker 2: How many members.
Speaker 3: I I don't know for certain. I believe around a dozen.
Speaker 2: Is that public knowledge? Who these folks are? Is there a website we could direct people to if they want to send an email and say, hey, we want answers? Just giving you an option?
Speaker 3: I would think so, but let me get back to you on that. I don't have it off the top of my head.
Speaker 2: Okay, well this is the one. If people are interested, that's what they should be doing. All right, Thank you, Mark, I appreciate your time tonight. I wish your best of luck as a local company. Thank you. Very much.
Speaker 3: Thanks Dan, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Welcome, good night. Well we get back when we talk about older adults being scammed, which is a problem. It's an honest to God problem, and we want you to listen up. If you're an older it out, or if you have an older it out in your family, it's as simple as that. My name's Dan Ray. This is Nightside. Can I remind you, as I do every night here, please consider going to the app store on your phone, your device, on your tablet or wherever and pull down the new and improved iHeart app. Because once you do that, you'll only be a fingertip away. Make us your first preset. And then in addition to that, there's a microphone button on there which you can X, you can utilize and send a thirty second a message. I hope they're positive, but if they're not, if they're critical or their ideas for us, send them and they will. They will be screened by Rob Brooks, and some of them, if not all of them, will get on the air. No bad language. You know how that works. My name is Dan Ray. No bad language. Back on night Side after this, It's.
Speaker 1: Night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's News radio.
Speaker 2: With us is Darius Kingsley. He's the head of consumer banking practices and a Chase Bank, and we're going to talk about older adults getting scammed. How big a problem is this, Darius, I actually think it's a huge problem.
Speaker 4: Thanks Dan, thanks for having me delight. He'll be here tonight. Yeah, it is a giant problem. Scams are rising across the board, and elder Americans are particularly targeted.
Speaker 2: The reason for that is, in my opinion, and I assume in yours, that elder Americans have you know, saved some money, they're in their retirement years, and they also are nice people. They've they've known people who have hit hard times. Uh, and they're willing to help. They're they're generous of nature, generous of spirit. That makes them ripe for the picking by these scam artists. How far off am I with that analysis?
Speaker 4: No, you're you're you're spot on. I mean, older Americans have worked hard their whole lives. They've got savings, hopefully some investments if they're lucky, you know, and scammers know that. And so if scammers look to target people, they're going to go after the people with some assets, which are our older citizens. The other thing is kind of to your point. Older people answer the phone, right. We come from a generation. I'm a gen exer, but even I come from a generation where we have phones in the kitchen. You answer the phone called when someone calls you. Younger generations don't do that as much. I think a lot of older people do you know, we open our mail, We you know, look at emails. I think that there's a lot of things about these generations that make us particularly susceptible to get into conversations with scammers.
Speaker 2: Well, one of the things I like to do when I get these phone calls, and I do because I have a telephone. I had a call tonight. I'm in the middle of dinner. The phone rings, you don't know who it is. I pick it up, and so and so and we'd just like to take a few minutes and ask you a few questions about a poll. Now, I don't know where that's going to lead. Maybe they're trying to get information on me, whatever, So I immediately tell them, wonderful, thank you so much for calling, because I am a professional poll taker. Where can I send my bill for this experience? And that studs it puts it right back on the heels and they'll say, well, no, we don't pay for the I said, well I would want I would have give you a poll. That's what I do for a living. I'll answer whatever question you have. But where can I send my bill? And they eventually hang up on me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what I told the other night.
Speaker 2: What I told the other night. I forget what they were looking to do. But they they called me and uh, I said, why are you calling me? I'm in jail. What do you mean you're in jail? I said, I'm in jail. I'm incarcerated. How do you have a phone. They let me have a cell phone. I said, why don't you take me off your call list? You just talk, you know, just talk to them and and mess with them and they'll eventually take you out. And of course you also can block those those those paint of the neck phone. Yes, but they they have a million ways to get to you. What's the what's the latest scam that that that you've heard that you've heard about, Darius? Is the old? Is that the grandchild scam where some youngster calls and Grandma grandpa, I'm under arrest. I know I shouldn't have been doing this. But I was smoking marijuana or I was drinking behind this school. I don't want my parents can know. Can you send me some money? Is that? Is that the That's the way I'm most concerned about Dan that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wouldn't say that's the top scam these days, but it's certainly very common, you know. And and with the top and so so these days we're really seeing a rise in what we call bank impersonation scams. So you know, the scammers know that so many Americans bank at a lot of our larger banks, and they'll send you a text, you'll get an email, maybe a phone call, and they can spoof the number. They can spoof the number of Chase and or you'll get that text and it'll say, hey, there's fraud on your account, Chase fraud. You know, did you make a charge? If not, call this number, and they'll give you a number or maybe a link in the text or in the email which you should not call back. That's what they do to trick you. And so you pick it up, you call back that number you got in whatever your email, your text, and it's the scammer. And you get into a conversation with scammer and they're good, they're professionals, they're English is excellent. You don't realize you're talking to someone, probably in a scam call center in Southeast Asia, and you know they'll tell you, oh, I work for Chase or a Bank of America, whoever it is, and so you think you're talking to the bank and you're trying to resolve a fraud problem. In reality, unfortunately, you're often handing over personal information that the scammers need to hack into your account.
Speaker 2: You're probably talking to somebody in Chetshniya or Kazakhistan. Well, some places that you've never heard of. It's unbelievable. Well, yeah, thank you for blowing the whistle on this. I just think these sorts of interviews, if we've saved one person from getting scammed, it's been worth it tonight, that's for sure. A Darius and I really enjoyed the conversation you you broke it down really clearly. Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Great, Well, thanks for having me dance. They say, is.
Speaker 2: There somewhere that you can direct my listeners to to find out more information?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'd be happy to so you can learn a lot. You don't have to be a Chase customer. We actually have all of the information on our website. It's Chase dot Com Forward Flash Security, or if you just type in Chase Security, you'll take you'll go to what we call the Security Center. We keep it updated, We keep it updated with the latest scams. We also tell you what to do if you think you might have fallen for one, or maybe you've gotten into conversation with a scammer. We'll give you tips on next steps and you know exactly what it is you should do, and we'll give you some helpful reminders, things like making sure you go in and turn on your fraud alerts at your bank. You may not have them all on, you may not realize that there's additional fraud alerts, or maybe you can add a family member to those alerts that you had an attitude before. So there's a lot of to that website. Again, it's Chase dot Com Forward Slash Security.
Speaker 2: Sounds great. I really appreciate it, Darius, looking at that tomorrow. Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: It's great.
Speaker 2: Thanks Dan, talk again. Thank you very much. Here comes the news at the bottom of the arrow. We're about a minute late. We get back. We're going to talk with the author they call him the Sultan of Garbage. Tips on how to properly dispose of waste, recycle, and how to be a responsible consumer. I believe in this stuff, actually, and I practice it, and I hope you do as well. We'll talk with Brian Bellefont right after the news at the bottom of the hour on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Night Side with Dan Ray I'BZ Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, back to the phones we go, and back to another again, particularly as we get towards summertime. I think an important subject with us is Brian Bellfhant. Brian is the author. Is this the name of a book, the Sultan of Garbage? How are you? I've heard of the Sultan of Swat, but never the Sultan of Garbage.
Speaker 5: Thanks for having me on. Yes, that's the name of the book, the Sultan of Garbage.
Speaker 2: Okay, So first of all, how'd you get into How did you become the Sultan of Garbage?
Speaker 5: Well, I don't think I became the Sultan of garbage. I'm the guy who wrote the book about a guy who's the Sultan of garbage. Story a story about a guy who's dealing with the waste and consume, consumption, in his life and he deals with it, and it echoes kind of the waste and consumption that we have going on in the world. I guess I agree that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with that. I sometimes will go to the dump and I'll say, where's all this stuff ending up?
Speaker 5: Oh my god, it's amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I know. And look, the bottom line is that we love the convenience. I'm somebody. I'm not going to tell you old I am, but I'm on the wrong side of fifty. I still take my cans. We have a bottle and a can bill here in Massachusetts only nickel. But if you buy a uh twenty four, you know, case of beer, that's another buck twenty And if you buy a twelve pack of some sort of soft drink, that's sixty cents, right, And I want my money back. And I also I washed the can or the bottle out. You put it in a plastic bag and I hand carry it to the either to the store, liquor store or whatever. But I'm a huge believer in this because you've heard, I've seen these stories about the floating islands of garbage in the oceans.
Speaker 5: Which, yeah, you know, it's incredible, and it's not just the one ocean, because everybody talks about the great specific garbage patch, which is the big one. Every ocean has them, some oceans have more than one. It's with a current swirl that draws all that crap together.
Speaker 2: And I don't know what the what the answer is. Obviously recycling is the answer. But you know, every day, you know, every week, I'll go through a gallon of milk. I love milk, and I will I will rinse out that milk, that that empty, empty the carton, and I'll make sure it goes into the green pit trash bin, which is recycle. So I assume that gets crushed somewhere, right, But but how long does it hang around? How can how can that not be used for more recycling as opposed to just getting crushed? What's You probably know so much more about this than I do, but I'd love to answer that, Like that question. The car takes up a good amount of space, Like it's like one foot by eight inches, it's like, you know, almost a foot squares up square feet. Yeah, well, how can can we recycle more effectively?
Speaker 5: Well, there's a lot of there's a lot of parts to that. I mean, yeah, on one hand, you could get yourself a cow, then you wouldn't need the classic container, or you could buy your milk the cow.
Speaker 2: The cow flatulence, the cow flattery would are you attacting the atmosphere. So I'm going to stick with the I'm going to stick with the gallon and milk at the store. Go. You know, that's weird.
Speaker 5: It all gets so complicated because every time you come up with a solution, sometimes the solution creates another problem. And it's just we're in a very complex world where, you know, as our culture loves to consume and we don't think much about waste. You said it right at the top. It's like you go to the dump and you don't know where all that stuff is going. A lot of most I don't know where all that stuff is going. Where is all that stuff going? It's going. A lot of it that doesn't end up with the dump goes, you know, gets taken up by rivers into the ocean. And the statistic I read is that sixty percent of the plastic and we talk about these floating islands of garbage, sixty percent of it sinks.
Speaker 4: To the bottom.
Speaker 5: So that's never going to get a dressed.
Speaker 2: You would hope that at some point it might deteriorate. But I don't know that then is what's going to be in the in the system. I don't know. We've been fighting this for fifty years in America. I can remember smoking the bear, don't litter and all of that. You still see people literally, you still see cigarette butts on the side of the road. You still see knuckleheads who throw, you know, coffee cups out the window as you're driving down the road. I mean, what's wrong with it?
Speaker 5: It's true, But I do think it's getting better. Well, you know, I grew up in a place where.
Speaker 2: But it's long cast the time, Brian, where simply should be getting better. It should be perfect at this point.
Speaker 5: I agree, But I don't think it's going to be I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh, so tell us about the book. So the book is about an individual who's the who's the hero in the book.
Speaker 5: The hero of the book is this guy. He's a commercial photographer, which means he goes around should do products, and his life has gone off the rails. He's got a girlfriend who doesn't appreciate him, and people who.
Speaker 3: Take advantage of them, and.
Speaker 5: He realizes sort of deep inside that he's helping perpetuate this this situation where he's encouraging people to consume things and sort of something. At the beginning of the story, it's just this uneasy that he has. So he comes into some money, decides he's going to go out and check out this island of garbage floating in the ocean. And the island of garbage turns out to be a metaphor for his life, but it's also sort of a reflection on our society of the consumption and waste and waste and consumption. And I'm not going to tell you how it ends, because I want you to read the book.
Speaker 2: Oh, I totally get that, So that's what that's why you're here. Come on, Garbage fifty fifty or more recycling facts and stats for twenty fifteen. Okay, I assume that's all in the book. I know that book.
Speaker 5: Actually they're not. It's an all affection book, So I mean these things are alluded to. But no, I don't make a very I'm not preaching. I don't believe people really respond to preaching unless they already believed the mess just being given, And so I'm not going to try and turn to change your mind by you know, hammering you with facts and statistics. I'm going to tell you a story, and the story is going to just make you feel sympathetic for the character, and you're going to think about it. When you're done. You might go, you know what, I should think about this a little bit deeper. I should think about what happens to my milk carton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I think about it all the time. And again, if it gets crushed, that's one thing. But yeah, I would think there would be some way you can't they We used to burn garbage. We don't do that anymore because of the atmosphereic concerns, but we used to burn leaves. When I grew up, they would burn leaves. I live in the city and you know, a part of Boston, and you would rake the leaves into the gutter. And yeah, first of all, you jump on the leaves as kids on the lawn, and then you have to rap and put them and then you would light them up. And I thought myself, oh my god, if anyone did that today, they would have to you have Marshall down there the whole bit. Okay, so the books available I assume on Amazon. That's the easy way. Do you have a website. You Sometimes people have a personal website and they'll get the author to autograph the book for them and maybe even a little cheaper than they get her on Amazon.
Speaker 5: Go ahead, Oh, here's the thing.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 5: But the website is Sultan of Garbage dot com.
Speaker 4: All one word.
Speaker 5: Okay, but I'll tell you this. If you don't want to like kill a tree, I the digital version.
Speaker 2: I like that. Okay, Okay. Do you make more money in the digital version of lesson?
Speaker 5: I make the zero money on the digital version.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, Well good for you. Then you you're a man who practices what he preaches. You know what.
Speaker 5: I wish I was a little better, but yeah, I try it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Brian, nice to talk to me. That is pronounced bellefont, Yes it is. Oh, how about that? I am Sometimes I think his name's right. I surprise myself. Sometimes the book is the Sultan of Garbage. Brian. I appreciated. Keep fighting. Okay, we'll have you back. Thank you much.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thanks for having me on, Dan.
Speaker 2: You're very welcome. Good night. When we get back, we're going to talk about kind of a difficult issue to talk about for me anyway, and that is the Red Sox trade yesterday of Raphael Devers. Boy, I'm telling you I don't understand this one. I'm not sure that Dan Watkins understands it any better. But Dan is as much of a baseball fan as I am, and he, of course you know him as the WZ news radio anchor. He's also good sports guy. So we're going to talk with Dan Watkins about the Raffie Devs trade. And at nine o'clock I'm going to open it up for open lines on the Raffie Devers trade. I've looked at it about twenty different ways. I can't figure it out. I really can't. But maybe Dan will give us some insight that I haven't thought of. And we'll talk with Dan Watkins right after this break on Night Side. My name's Dan Ray, not Dan Watkins. I'm Dan Ray. He will be Dan Watkins. And you're listening to Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ ten thirty on the AM dial here in Boston. And you also can listen to us on the iHeart app. Very easy. All you have to do is pull down the new and improved iHeart app onto your device, be it a tablet, oh a laptop, desktop, your phone whatever, and just make WBZ your number one preset and we're in business. You'll be with us every night from Monday through Friday, from eight until midnight. And we do a great show here on Nightside. And I hope you tell your friends about it. Little bragging doesn't hurt. But if it's the truth, it's not bragging. Coming back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Well, a big story in Boston today. Also the big story in sports is the trade of Raffie Devers. Now the Red Sox have just I guess they're still holding a news conference on our own. Dan Watkins has been monitoring that conference, that news conf Before we get to Dan his analysis of what was and wasn't said and what sort of questions were asked. Dan has pulled for us a forty five second sound bite from Red Sox team president Sam Kennedy.
Speaker 6: Hit it Rob, you know, in the end, I think it's pretty clear that we we couldn't find alignment with Ralphie.
Speaker 1: Is the truth.
Speaker 6: We we we we all worked at it over the last several months, going back to the off season.
Speaker 1: Starting with Alex Cora and Craig and the staff, and then up to the to me and all the way up to John Henry.
Speaker 2: We worked at it. UH.
Speaker 1: We had a different vision for him going forward than than.
Speaker 2: He had, and we couldn't get there.
Speaker 5: We couldn't find alignment, and we reached that inflection point and made the decision.
Speaker 1: To UH to make a big move.
Speaker 2: Dan Watkins is with us. What was their vision? Dan, because it seemed to me that the vision was switching, and once Bregman came, Raffie was told he was no longer that third basement, he was the DH and then when the first baseman gets hurt and they ask him to play for a space, he's not thrilled about that. What was the vision?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, Dan, I think this all just kind of comes back to some miscommunication in the offseason with the approach and trying to sign Alex Bregman and eventually signing him and just not really you know, letting Devers know what their plans were. So he arrives to spring training and if you remember, Bregman signs like three or four days after they get to camp, and then Devers is pretty much told that he's going to be moved to DH, and he's very adamant, and he was very frustrated, saying that he's the third baseman of the team. He left camp for a few days to go cool off, comes back and agrees to be the DH. And then, as you just mentioned, Tristan Cossis gets hurt in May and they kind of want him to try to play first base now and pick that up in the middle of the season, and he is furious about that. He basically tells Craig Breslo that he needs to go do his job and bring in more players and to stop relying on him to change positions all the time. So I think there was some hurt feelings here on both sides, But I think this comes down to Devers wanted to be a DH now at this point in the Red Sox didn't want to pay thirty one million dollars a year for a designated hitter and a guy that wasn't going to play the field.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's assume you decide you want to get rid of him. Is this the best that they could get for him at this point? I mean, it sounds like they got a couple of minor league players and a couple of pitchers who one has already been sent to Worcester and the other guy. Neither one of them looked like that candidates for the Cy Young Award, Let's put it that way.
Speaker 6: Definitely not from what I've heard and understand. Kyle Harrison, who was sent to Worcester last night, he was supposed to pitch on Sunday Night Baseball for the Giants, but ends up getting scratched. That he's a you know, a mid rotation guy at best, your number three, number four starter. And then Jordan Hicks is a guy kind of like Garrett Whitlock who's tried to be a starter, gets hurt, probably better off in the bullpen. And then you got their first round pick from a year ago. But the Red Sox, the big thing Craig Breslow kept preaching tonight during this press conference that went on for forty five minutes was that they really like the roster flexibility that they have now where they can get some of these younger guys into the lineup, and they this is a quote from Breslo saying, quote, I do think there's a real chance at the end of the season, we're looking back and we've won more games than we otherwise would have with Devers on the team. So it's a really interesting situation that's played out of Fenway here. I'm not personally a fan of the move, taking out a potential, you know, a perennial All Star and a guy that is building a Hall of Fame resume in his own endeavors. I don't think they're a better team today, but we'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, again, you think back to the Gosky pair of trade back in two thousand and four, which worked out for the Red Sox. Then you think about the Mookie betste which has only worked out for Mookie Betts. I mean, most of the players that they got from Mookie Betts have now moved on themselves, and Bets is playing really well and has played very well for years, as we expected he would. In Los Angeles with the Dodgers, what were the tone of the questions? A lot of the sports guys in town tend to be very respectful when they're say, talking to Bill Belichick or something like that, a little different than a lot of the political reporters, who kind of have a mor of ad age to their questions. Were the reporters, what were the tone of the questions.
Speaker 6: They were going directly at Kennedy and Bresla pretty well tonight, I thought. I mean, the fact that this thing went on for forty five minutes, I think was a good sign from the beat. You know, they got Breslaw to say that they're not waving the white flag on the twenty twenty five season, which I have a hard time believing personally, just with the way the Red Sox have handled themselves here in the past half a decade now, or how they've been a you know, a five hundred baseball team since really since they traded Mookie Betts, and how they keep talking about this long term vision and keep telling fans that, you know, it's it's gonna happen in the long term, and then they go and pull the you know, pull the rug out from underneath Red Sox nation here this weekend by doing it well.
Speaker 2: Having the three young guys come up also, Dobbins has been a pretty good surprise. I think that Fits is going to get himself squared away at Worcester, So I think they're going to have some young people. You look at, you know, cut of Crawford hasn't thrown a ball yet Tanner, howk Is is amongst the missing at this point, So they lost two good guys who would have been potential guys in the rotation. Their rotation with Dobbins now in seems to have set it down. Bao pitched well yesterday. Geelito some good, some bad. Same with Fuel. Yeah, with Buell or two, but Geolita was more. Buell has been more consistent. I think that Gelito Crochet has been great. So you know, they have they have a starting rotation here, which they didn't have a year ago. But now they're just taking a big out out of the lineup and at some point, uh, someone's good. I guess maybe uh Toro plays third base for the rest of the season until until Bregmant comes back.
Speaker 6: So it looks like Meyer's there tonight and I can't It's it's crazy. So they put out the lineup card for tonight and they got rookies hitting three, four, five in the lineup, which is crazy to think about for a team that says that they do want to make the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you know, okay that you know, Meyer had a couple of couple of dingers the other the other night in the game, and uh, you know Anthony's going to hit. I don't. I mean, he's he's not, he's I think he's he's he's.
Speaker 6: For him giving away from Fenway, I think is a good thing for him, let him kind of get some hits on the road where there's less pressure.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, Well, Dan, I appreciate it so much. You're talking to us. You're doing double duty tonight, news duty, sports duty. It's going to be interesting. I mean, they they made this trade. Uh after a five game winning streak and and sweeping the Yankees. What Devers was at the airport heading to Seattle? Did they pull him off the plane?
Speaker 6: They did, and they put him in a taxi, which was just crazy. I don't know if you saw the footage. I believe Channel five got it and and him coming back in the in the taxi they pulled him off the plane, he hops in his car, his range Rover, and just heads right out, doesn't talk to anybody. It was quite the sight. I mean, that's something you're gonna that's one of those things where you remember where you were when that happened. If you're a big sports fan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and San Francisco is not playing tonight. They they're home tomorrow night, so he'll be well received. And uh, I would say this, I think that that that San Francisco got a better player with Devers going there than we did getting Sandoval Pablo Sandoval coming here. I say bet if they were both third basement two. So we'll see.
Speaker 6: Hopefully Raffi's belt holds up. I'm like unlike the pandas yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 2: Dad Watkins as always, thank you, my friend, you pinch it for us tonight. That's great. Thanks Pop. Talk soon. Okay, well we get back. We're going to open up the conversation. What do you think if you're a Red Sox fan out there, and even if you're a casual Red Sox fan, do you like this idea? I mean, it's been hanging out there for about three months now, from spring training on. Something had to give. We know what gave. Please feel free to jump on board and let us know what you think. You have the numbers back on Night's side, We're gonna talk a little baseball for the next one hour.