Speaker 1: Welcome to Moving Conversations, a podcast for movement professionals, by movement professionals. If you coach, train, or teach movement, pilates or fitness, then this podcast is for you. With more than sixty years of experience and fitness and pilates, your host, Brian Richie and Norse Saint John explored to science of human movement, diving deep into the facts, myths, and common misconceptions, hoping to spark thought and conversation about how we view fitness and movement. Now let's jump into Moving Conversations and welcome back to Moving Conversations. I'm Brian Richiejunim as always is Norse Saint John. Morning Nora.
Speaker 2: How you doing very well? Brian? Is a sunny day here right after the palstice in California. It's going to start to get darker soon but hasn't yet, so it's very sunny and beautiful and just fantastic. I understand you were just in Chicago and Cleveland, where our guests, our mystery guest is from.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: For those of you who are watching on YouTube, you'll see that we do have a mystery guest. We'll be introducing him in just a second inviting him in the studio. But yeah, we decided at the end of school year, for a combination of my wife's birthday, Father's Day, end of school, we decided to take a road trip. Okay, my first road trip. I come from an island. I come from a tiny island called o' wahoo. You can go around the whole thing in three hours, maybe three and a half driving from DC to Chicago, two days of six hours of driving and through the hills of Pennsylvania. Oh my gosh, that was I'm not gonna say agony, but it was. It was a long time to be behind the wheel and around huge semi trailers and things that I was like, Okay, yeah, I can see that there's a romanticism about it. However, I don't see it. And I'm very willing to say that I've crossed that off my list. I don't need to do it again. I really am. Yeah, but I will say this, maybe we can talk about this, and we'll talk about this in another episode. I want to tell people about the Pokemon exhibit at the Field Museum. I know he was like, wait a minute, what is he talking about. They did the Fossils of Pokemon and they did them basically the same as they would for the dinosaurs and things. It's phenomenal. It's phenomenal. I'll be sharing some things on Instagram and I'll post it up there. It is so neat and coming from an anatomy standpoint and looking at the pelvic structure in the hip joint and looking at all these things, it's phenomenal. It was really kind of neat the way that my kids.
Speaker 3: Don't absolutely absolutely well before we bring I let before I let Nora take take it away with our introduction, do us a favor hit that like and subscribe button.
Speaker 1: I really would appreciate it. It helps us with our algorithms. It really helps us bring on more guests. It helps us to reach out to more people and to get more people interested in what we're doing. We're reaching out. We had some one of our podcasts couple weeks go. We had more downloads then than we've ever had before. So it's phenomenally. Either one of you downloaded every single episode we've ever had, or we're reaching out to more people. So I'm hoping that it's the latter. So do us a favor hit that like and subscribe comment why you can. We really appreciate it, even if it's just a thumbs up or a you know, hallelujah, or I don't know about that. Whatever it is, we love to hear it. We really appreciate it. You can do it through Instagram Moving Combos. We have all of our stuff posted on there. You can also check us out on YouTube under my name Brian Richie. And if you want to reach us by email, you can do it at movingcnbos at gmail dot com. And now, without further ado, I'm going to turn it over to Nora.
Speaker 2: So, speaking of Cleveland, we have a guest here Troy McCarthy. So if any of you don't know Troy, Troy's been educator for Bounced Body for a long time. He's been teaching pilates I think even longer than I have. And one of the reason you wanted Tom on is because Troy has studied with many of the elders and has a a real rich understanding of we're calling it the history and the evolution of pilates over many really over a long time, and he's got a really nice perspective on all of that, and it's again an amazing, amazing educator. If any of you haven't ever followed him on Instagram. He had just a whole wonderful assortment of little Vignette's little teaching tips that were just incredible, especially during the pandemic. You just kept all of us going for a long period of time there. So anyway, welcome Troy McCarty.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Nora, thank you, Brian. It's so nice to join your podcast with you.
Speaker 2: So tell me, tell us a little bit about tell us your history. So give us the shorter of the long version.
Speaker 5: Sure well, I started plats when I was a ballet dance sir.
Speaker 4: I was at school American Ballet. I got injured and I thought that was going to be the end of me.
Speaker 5: But the lady goes, now, there's some guy that does something with spring on the upper East Side. I don't know anything about it. We're gonna send you over there. So I grabbed my little dance bag, I had my leg warmers on. This is during the period of fame. Yeah, I even did PK turns around the fountain at Lincoln Center on my way up to the side, and I'm knocked on the door, and sure enough it was a lot and Bruce King. Now Bruce King was one of those original teachers that we don't hear so much about because Bruce died pretty early on with the HIV pandemic crisis that you know, took many of our great artists away from us in New York City. But anyways, I got to study from Bruce, and Bruce was really really well known for.
Speaker 4: Breaking the exercises down for a beginner. I don't know if this is.
Speaker 5: An urban legend or you know, you might get some you know, some call back on this, but somebody once told me that Actually Clara asked Bruce first if he wanted to take over the studio, and h Bruce said, I still have a dance career. I'm very active in the dance community. I don't have time in my life for this. So yeah, he didn't, so it went to Romana. I don't know how true that is, because I've only heard that from one person. Usually, when you get to study from elders, if you hear it from two of them, you can pretty much bet that Joe said that. If you hear it from one, you're like, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, I've heard the same story from from Eve Gentry. Yeah, right, And I think it was like Bruce because Bruce is close and then Eve, but Eve was in New Mexico by that point, so she was like, no, I've you know, I've got my own life going on. I mean, from all all, from all the elders that I've heard, Romana was not the first choice, right that there was other people that first.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just so you know, Yeah, so that's good, so that it's a source there that you know, that story hasn't changed too much, so wonderful.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So Bruce was very good with me.
Speaker 5: He really took my injury, which was lower back and hip from lifting a very h a ballerina that was not size appropriate for me to lift, and I was so amazed that I couldn't get her up in here. I looked up at her and then it all went south and crash boom. Yeah, I pretty much wrenched my back, did some damage to the hip, and he rehabbed me. Unfortunately, you know, I got to study from Bruce for a good two years. Bruce started getting very ill. We're talking a period when you know, like didn't have health insurance and stuff like that, so it was very sad. So he I went over to Romana and studied from Romana and it was like a contrast.
Speaker 4: Because Bruce was so much into like breaking.
Speaker 5: Things down and and really getting to the essence of that exercise, you know. And I felt like when I went to Romana, Romana really knew the spirit of Joe Ploates and it was like, you know, you were hearing you know, maybe Joe say things through through Romana. So it was very interesting. It was a very interesting contrast both both teachers. I learned in an immense amount of knowledge from.
Speaker 2: So one of the things that strikes me about that is again I haven't say with Bruce. I said Romana and Eve and Corolla and you know, and a few more modern versions too, and that that breaking down piece. When I studied with Romana, she was very like, we don't break things down. She always just joys said, that's for the back room, like all the breakdown stuff that's in the back room. We're just going to do pilates. Uh and and she really that was that was at least that was the impression I got it from her at that point.
Speaker 4: This was many years ago.
Speaker 2: So that's interesting because I know Eve did a lot of breakdown, a lot of breakdown. Kathy Grant did a lot of breakdown, you know, trying to get people up to the level of skill to be able to do the work appropriately.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think was what was so interesting about Bruce that he just really understood the essence of each exercise. Yeah, and he was he was able to get into that raw material, that knowledge that exercise was going to put into your body, and he could break it down to a point both in his language skills and his movement skills that my body could understand.
Speaker 4: So you know that that really worked for me.
Speaker 2: That's you know, for me that that's the essence of the teaching that we all do. Brian as well, Brian has both the ploties background and personal training background. But you know, the best teachers can figure out where they're trying to get to in terms of a movement skill, and then how do I build up the pieces to that movement skill, right, whether it's mobility or strength or stability, like what are they trying to do and then find a way to get there. It sounds like Bruce was really a master at that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Bruce could could help you go inside your body and that was that was a big thing for me. What am I feeling inside? You know, I come from a movement background. So you know, I know how to move my arms, I know how to move my legs connected to my core, but I want to understand more what should I be feeling inside? And I think that's where Bruce really really was stellar and his teaching approach really getting me.
Speaker 1: I think you kind of like you, yeah, sorry interrupt. I think that is so important from a teaching perspective, whether it just comes from dance, pilates, any type of movement, you really have to understand the reason for the movement, the why, and you really need to understand what's going on within the body and the importance of how to verbalize it, how to get that person to understand it at the same depth that you do, even if they're a beginner, so that they may not have the same depth, but they still have the essence that they can still get you to move the way that you need to. I've seen choreographers who you would look at them walk and you're thinking, how are they a choreographer? And then they start dancing. You're thinking, oh, now I know why, Oh my gosh, they were the most beautiful movers and they understand they have an essence in their body they have something, and to be able to verbalize that and to do it easily and quickly to someone that is a skill, and that is a gift.
Speaker 4: I think, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: I think as approaching the method from a dancer, my body was hungry for knowledge, yeah, and hungry for a movement that was gonna structure and organize me more. So, you know, he was able to take that and really put it into my body. And therefore, you know, years later, I can you know, I teach the little bit like Bruce now, so I'm able to do the same thing with my own students. So it was a very very very incredible, valuable experience that I learned from.
Speaker 2: It having watched you teach a lot, Troy, because I've set in on workshops with you, and I think one time we had to co teach something because somebody was down or something. I would say, the focus that you give to each body is what I find remarkable. Like your presence, your awareness, your ability to just like take in the entire body and what's happening and then to give that one correction that makes all the difference was what I really have always admired about your teaching. It's just it's focused, it's incredibly present, it's incredibly whole bodied and very efficient. And it sounds like you learned some of that anyway from Bruce King that those are the seeds that were planted in you about how to help a body figure out what to do and do it better. Right.
Speaker 4: So Bruce really instilled in me that this.
Speaker 5: Is a whole body workout, working from the top of the head down to the toes, and your whole body is working to achieve this, you know, whatever we're doing, if it's short box, long box, whatever. So he was able to really help me see that whole body, get that whole image, you know, moving into my body. So and you know, and coming from a ballet background where I was a ballet master for a company for a while, you know, be able to able to just give one correction to a dancer that's going to make the difference in so I was able to take that from my dance career and brand into.
Speaker 4: The plates you know, studio. So yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: One of the things I've I've thought a lot as I have grown up in this world is so many of our of our teachers come from a very, very very rich movement background. Right, you Gentry, certainly Bruce King, Ramondo to some extent. You know, all of them. We're intense dancers, many of them for their whole lives, before and during their Parti's career. And there's something about just watching that many people move and trying to help them move better that you know, creates that efficiency. Like for you being a ballet master, this is the one thing you need to work on, but shift your weight over here, right or whatever? It is that one little cue that is like, oh now I get it, you know, And and I understand the body enough, not in a broken down and natty way, but in a whole body. How does it integrate way to be able to give that one cue is just as remarkable.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I think like you know, as a dancer, you know, you approach, you know that alignment of the body.
Speaker 4: You're constantly scanning that alignment.
Speaker 5: And you're you know that the reformers is like beautiful grid.
Speaker 4: It's like you know, a canvas and.
Speaker 5: It's got lines and you can just really line everything up to see that you know, impurity of that alignment and it.
Speaker 4: You know, it's like you know, it becomes an eyeshord.
Speaker 5: Me I get fixated on one thing, like I can't get off of it.
Speaker 4: But as I get older, I've learned how to control that.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: That, you know that that part of me there, So yes, exactly.
Speaker 2: You must have a fun time going through you know, like a supermarket or walking down the park, right, because I'm like, at this point, I can't I can't not see the weirdness that's happening around me. And sometimes it's like what is that? You know, and you're trying not to look horrified, but you're horrified what is happening over there?
Speaker 4: It's airports for me, but.
Speaker 5: I'm sitting waiting on a flight and I'm purely bored.
Speaker 4: I don't want to be there.
Speaker 5: I start looking at people's movement and I'm like, if that person came to me, I charge him double. You know, how did that person ever like walk from their car to the airport without you know, like majorly injuring themselves or somebody else. Yeah, And I start shaking my head and my husband's floy stop it.
Speaker 4: That's not so Yeah, Yeah, Joe.
Speaker 2: Judgment is pouring out of you in those moments, right, like just it's just happening, Like I can't help myself, this is not happening. This is not attractive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know what, I think we go through that.
Speaker 1: It's funny.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, you know.
Speaker 5: I wonder if our elders went through that with students too.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, I think so.
Speaker 5: You know, we will see that one video of Joe teaching the one guy was pushing on the head. I first thing, I don't think he's pushing that hard because we have to step back in time of that video because the cameras were not that good.
Speaker 4: It's like you have now.
Speaker 5: But I love that video because it shows to me that even Joe struggled with some of his students. You know, yes, getting that guy to go where Joe wanted him to go was a struggle. And I think as teachers, you know, we all have those, you know, special clients and students that we have a little bit of a struggle with. So I mean, I'm not going to push on there. I would like to, but I'm not going to raise my hand on a client, you or a student.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wanted to ask you something. I'm going to tie in with this. In the age of I do a number of people through zoom or FaceTime, however you want to put it through online and sometimes I find finding that one HU can be challenging because some of us already have clients who are body dyslexic. They really don't know they're right from their left, they're up from their downy, they're so they don't know what they're doing. And to be able to do it when we're not present and we can't put our hands on them, when we can't touch them, we can't cueue them physically, we have to do it purely through our voice. It can be so much more challenging, and it's so important to be able to find that one que to make the biggest difference, and sometimes knowing when to just back off and say, well, we're not doing that one today, or Okay, this is about as good as we're going to get. It's good enough for today, we'll work on it in the future. Have you found that in the age of online it's become a little more challenging.
Speaker 5: Yes, And I find that a teaching online has definitely.
Speaker 4: Helped me with my visual skills, really really.
Speaker 5: Happening to like, you know, see the person and like making them stop. It's like can you repeat that right there? You know during zoom I'm a tactow guy. I love to use my hands. You know, these are probably the most important tools we have as plottys teachers. But you know, during the pandemic, I was like, you know, they're talking that we can't touch anybody.
Speaker 4: Help. My whole career is changing in front of my eyes.
Speaker 5: So like, yeah, so I started really kind of developing that you know, that visual uh with with the students, you know, and I teach that in my courses.
Speaker 4: You know, what are we looking at? What? What exactly are you looking at? Are you scanning the body?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 4: Are you too busy worrying about how many springs or whatever? You know?
Speaker 5: So, yes, the visual is very important, and doing online is definitely can be a challenging you know atmosphere to do it and exactly, yeah, very challenging that way. Yeah, I always wonder, like, what what do you think the elders would think of us doing plots?
Speaker 6: I'm zoom, Yeah, I mean, so a couple of thoughts because I have thought about this actually a fair bit, thinking about their different personalities.
Speaker 2: I mean, Joe, I think I would do you think he would be happy about the incredible popularity of pilates, right, now, I mean, that was kind of his dream, but I'm not sure he would picture it being quite such a kaleidoscopic variety that I doubt that's what he had in mind, you know. And then I also think about all the others that I worked with were so precise and detail oriented, and by the time I met them, they were all in their sixties or seventies or eighties for that matter, and so they're all a little bit like, this is what to do, Like they did not have They're just this is how it is. They're not going to make you feel good necessarily, They're just going to tell you what it is. So I think many of them would be horrified, honestly, because they also most of them taught privates or small groups, you know, they really they didn't teach classes. They didn't teach twenty reformers in a room and everybody doing the same thing. So, I don't know, it's a different world. It's a much less intimate, much less personal world, you know.
Speaker 5: In some of right, Yeah, I think I think you know, you're you're You're absolutely right, Nora. I think Joe would like that this has really evolved all around the world, you know, plats is really popular right now, But I don't know if he would be so into everything that we're.
Speaker 4: Seeing that's going on.
Speaker 2: Horrified.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I don't want to be the plots police, because we have plenty of those on Instagram and I a few times, you know, yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: But you know, I like the variety that I see.
Speaker 5: I love the creativity I see, but some of the you know, the other things that I'm seeing, I'm like, you know, that's pretty dangerous.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: I hope you're not teaching that to your students or your clients, you know.
Speaker 1: So, Yeah, there was a few years ago I was teaching in Boston and at a pot and I was teaching in the anatomy in three dimensions, and there was someone in the class who was very classically trained and was almost refusing to wrap their brain around movement in any way. That wasn't the original repertoire anything that I would bring up about movement. It was well, that's not what Joe said, that's not what Joe said. And finally I just said, Okay, when did he pass away? When did he stop evolving as a human being? If he were to live now, with all the new technologies that we have. Don't you think he would have taken in a lot of that and created things that we may never have just because his brain was working at a level that obviously for what we he's created on a wavelength that no one else had before. So I look at it from that standpoint and say, if he was here, would he take to things like zoom or whatnot? Would he take to all of this and really acclimate and even evolved into being so much more? I don't know, but I like to think that he had that mind that was more wanting to expand rather than you know, be so rigid in the end. And I could be completely wrong, but that's how I.
Speaker 5: Think you're right on track, because you know, if we look at Joe and his inventions, there's a lot of gadgets. Yeah, you know, we got the foot corrector, we got the toe separator, we got the pedopol We've.
Speaker 4: Got all these.
Speaker 5: We got the what is that the breathelmeter or yeah.
Speaker 2: The weightings like he waited, yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so the shoes, the weighted shoes, yeah exactly.
Speaker 4: So I you know, the man was into gadgets.
Speaker 5: So I think, like, you know, having this technology, I think that he would have totally embraced and and really, yeah, let's do it, you know, let's go for this. And yeah, but but again I think, like, you know, like what Nora says, become a kaleidoscope. We're seeing so many different different things that like sometimes somewhere off Joe's rolling around in his grape going, I never meant it to be that way, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm sure, I'm sure. I think I think we're all kind of sure that there's a there's moments of what the heck. I mean, how many people do you know now who say, oh, yeah, I've done pilates and you're kind of like and then you you know, they come into your studio and they show you what they do and it's like, has no bearing whatsoever to anything you would recognize as pilates. And you've been exposed to a good bit of the world for a really long time, you know, it's like, Okay, well that's interesting that that's called pilates. But let's just let's just get you moving in the right way and we're going to go We're going to go over here and do this. So you're talking about about Bruce King, which I think is great, and then I know Ramana was another stream right through a stream for you. What was that? What was that about?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 2: How do things change when you were started working with her?
Speaker 4: What was that?
Speaker 2: That difference in teaching.
Speaker 4: Romana was truly understood the spirit of Joe.
Speaker 2: Do you like explain that?
Speaker 5: I think like like she would give quotes that Joe used to say, and she would talk about Uncle Joe, you know a lot, and so tell stories about Joe. And in some of the moments, you know, I can remember her saying, you know, Joe wanted it done this way, you know, whereas Bruce, you know, said I learned this from Joe. But I you know, I want to break this down for you so that you really understand this. So I think it was two different types of teachers, you know, happening here.
Speaker 4: And you know Romana. You know, at the time that I studied.
Speaker 5: From Romana, you know, it was a Drago's it was a very is he plays. Platus is now starting to get you know, a little bit more known, you know, and a lot of people are coming in to Dragos to find out about this method, to learn it with their own bodies. So Romana, you know, was teaching the Dragos and platus Is is now really getting really really popular, a lot of people are coming in. So I think Romana was very very worried, you know, that there was going to be injuries. So it was a different a different type of instruction going on, you know, and she had her daughter helping out and things like that. So, yes, exactly, so it was it was quite different. Bruce was really.
Speaker 4: One on one Romana. You know.
Speaker 5: Sometimes I was in the class, you know, but she was. She was really a lovely person. I really learned a lot from Romana and I'm you know, I'm very very very you know.
Speaker 4: Happy that I got that experience in my life. So, yeah, and you'll start teaching what I started. I started teaching in nineteen eighty five. I opened up my first studio.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, and uh, Romana used to say, I remember her saying this, you know, if you become a teacher and if you injure somebody, I'll hear about it and I'll come and visit you. And I was like always like, I can't enter anybody. I don't want Romana coming up to my door. I was a little bit, you know, I was a little.
Speaker 4: Afraid of Romana at times.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, so you could be tough. So yeah, so yeah.
Speaker 2: So what inspired you to start teaching?
Speaker 5: I was like, either going to stay in the dance world and become you know, full time ballet masterwork and as you know, it's not the most glorious job. Dancers will blame their everything on the ballet master.
Speaker 4: I tried to, you know, it was not what I wanted. I thought they were all my friends.
Speaker 2: You know, until you had to tell her what to do, right, and then yeah.
Speaker 4: The table turned and they were like not nice to me. So I was like, yeah, I don't think I want to do this. You know, I have all this training and plots.
Speaker 5: I was teaching a little bit on this side, so I went full blown into plots. Dennis now Hot from the Cleveland Ballet gives me a call and says, hey, you know, bring bring it down here. You know you can do you can teach, you know in the school, you know, and things like that, and he goes, bring that stuff you do with springs, we don't have it in Cliven, Ohio again.
Speaker 4: So that's how I arrived here.
Speaker 5: So I was like, you know, one of those first studios in the Midwest nineteen eighty five and.
Speaker 2: You know, seriously in their first studios anywhere.
Speaker 5: Actually yeah, you know you know, uh, Vogue magazine did an article about the top ten studios.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I had made that that article, and boom if Susan made that article. That next Friday came.
Speaker 5: The lawsuit letter from a person I don't want.
Speaker 4: I don't want to say the person's name. Came the lawsuit letter.
Speaker 5: And I was so in sense that I got this letter that I wrote on the letter, no effing way, And I said that registered.
Speaker 4: Mail to him.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 5: Not my smartest move in my life, because it put me on the radar.
Speaker 2: You know, I'd be put in the firing line right exactly.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, he was kind. I used to get it.
Speaker 5: I used to get a letter every Friday morning, registered mail. I got seven of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's no fun. No, it was.
Speaker 5: It was time to because you know, you're teaching this new method. Everybody's there's a buzz about it. Everybody wants to get into it. Madonna's doing it, She's spreading the word. You know. I would get phone calls I want to do this exercise that Madonna does. I hear you have it, you know, and then all of a sudden, you know, you have this letter saying you know you can't use that word. If you use that word, we will take you on, you know, in court. And then to use that word, you've got to retrain, you've got to pay us, and blah blah.
Speaker 4: It was like it was. It was a bad situation. It was our dark period of the plates world so well.
Speaker 2: And it had to be because I mean, every every studio that I know, with very few exceptions, had had no There was no deep pocket there, right. I mean, we're all out there being pioneers in a field that nobody knew about, nobody cared about. There was not a lot of financial reward, and we're trying to make it happen. I mean I was at Saint Francis, so we had a little bit of a legal background behind us. But most of the students, like yours or Debra Lessons or you know the ones in LA you got nothing and suddenly somebody's threatening you with a lawsuit which could cost you who knows, I'm told amounts of money that you don't have, right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, litigation is expensive, so you know, and and I was very worried about that, and I was trying to figure out ways to get around.
Speaker 5: This situation, and I was upset. I was like, yeez, you know, this guy's really after me. And and now, in hindsight, I'm like whatever. You know, it made me more of a teacher because it made me teach stronger, because it's just like, listen, if I can't use the word plot east and then I'm going to have to really develop my teaching more and we're gonna have to you know, say tru McCarty or whatever, you.
Speaker 2: Know, right right.
Speaker 1: That's the thing I was just thinking, is how shortsighted someone can be to want to get these few studios out there there to pay them money instead of let's grow this brand, to really establish something so much bigger than New York City, so much bigger than just the United States. And now, I mean we've all been all around the world. It is gigantic. And just think how short sighted that was way back then, to oh, I want to be paid just so you can use the name. That's that seems ridiculous. To me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I found a lot of that.
Speaker 5: It was a little bit on the ego driven side, and it was it was hard that, you know, to see you know, I can understand why roman I wanted to get involved because she was probably tired of working on an hourly wage, you know, at the studios, and she wanted to try to make some passive income.
Speaker 4: I get it.
Speaker 5: You know, passive income is a wonderful thing for all of us, you know, but it was just the way it was, and then, you know, it was it was really hard, and it was a scary time, you know, for all of us.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and it was a moment when honestly, the method could have died, you know it really there was. I mean I remember at the first meeting of the whatever it's called Plotti's Institute in Santa Fe, there was like one hundred and fifty of us basically. That was pretty much it. Most the people that were involved in any serious way in the industry. That was it. So, you know, and that was right before the lawsuit, and the lawsuit could have could have killed it. Yeah, it could have. It could have been like that was the end of that and smash, the whole thing was gone because based on the future from there, Ramana and the classical people were not capable of really bringing it out in a way that would make it what it is today. You know, the classical world was so insular and so specific and so kind of whatever they want that that I think if it had been everybody else had left and they were the only ones left in the promoting the method, I don't know where it would have gone. I don't think it would have been able to grow like it did.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's the thought exactly right now, and that God, you know things turned the way it did, and that you know, we can all teach this wonderful method that this man left for us to teach, you know, and daily, like every time I'm teaching, you know, I think I learned something more about it, you know, a deep you know, deep dive in the jackknife or deep dive into you know, you.
Speaker 4: Know, short box.
Speaker 5: And it's like, oh yeah, why didn't I think of that twenty years ago? And I think as teachers we mature a lot. I definitely have a different style than when I first started, you know, and I'm very selective about, you know, my cues that I give somebody.
Speaker 4: When when I first started, it was thousand Q sessions. Man, I was throwing those babies out there the scene. What would stick?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 8: And I can't remember this one lady goes Troy.
Speaker 5: I loved your class. All thirty thousand ques really worked for me. She's like the exhausted. I'm hoarse because I've done nothing like you know, so, you know, nerves and anxiety of you know, like you know, when we're one more young to how are you Norah?
Speaker 4: When you first started.
Speaker 2: Teaching, you know, I was just thinking about that. It's a shotgun approach because you don't really know what's gonna work. You just keep throwing stuff out there, hoping, like like throwing spaghettian in the wall, what's gonna stick? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: And it's funny because I remember I studied a lot early on with Alan Herdman. He was a real influence at Saint Francis and and then I went into this whole you know, very kind of scientific phase and.
Speaker 8: Anatimi and blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: And then I came back to take a class with with Alan at a at a p m A and man, the efficiency, the clarity. He didn't say a lot, but everything he said landed tall and said everything it needed to say. And it was like and and and that's kind of that's that was actually my I didn't realize that he was my model when I first was teaching, you know, worching out, we're learning under him. I didn't realize how much of that had absorbed until I saw that and went, oh, that's what I've been aspiring to all this time. Yeah, you know, and with the like of all the fanciness and just say the.
Speaker 5: Thing and with the British accident, it just sounds so much more, so much better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just so much more meaningful.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's just like, you know, like I'm turned on Masterpiece Theater and I'm gonna really really watch this to understand this. How do you feel how do you feel your your teaching is evolved through the years.
Speaker 1: I was one, so yeah, so yeah, this is interesting because my my way is more just pure movement. So I do it through whatever tool is in front of me. So I'm not traditionally pilates based. I do a lot more fitness, but I bring in pieces from everywhere because to me, it's whatever tool is going to work for the client in front of me for what I need to get them to do. And my queueing has become very specific and very focused over the years. I think at the beginning, like you said, I think I was much more tactile at the beginning that I would just put people in the right position, that it'd be like, just do this and just sort of move them because if you can feel it, you can do it sort of thing. And as I've gotten a little older, I think I've understood, Okay, you need to make sure that the verbalization is there, the tactile Q is there. Everything is there to get the client to do whatever they need. Because we all learn differently, So whichever client is in front of me, I want to make sure, Okay, are they kinesthetic, are they auditory? However they're learning, do they have to watch me first? Whatever it is, I can you know, Q in on that person and say, okay, they need this. I had a client today who needed to see me do an exercise I could I realized at that moment, okay, she's so visual, so I immediately jumped down showed.
Speaker 4: It to her.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, she did it perfectly, but I was trying to get her to do it auditorially and it was not. It was not working. So it's like, oh okay, boom here, look you got it, and she was able to do it. So I think I've learned more about that as I've gotten older and my evolution. I haven't been in the industry quite as long as you have, but not that far off. I think Nora and I started around the same time, in the very early nineties. So yeah, and I think the older I get, the more, like you said, we're focusing on different things. We're learning every day. We're always re relearning things and thinking why didn't I learn that before? Why didn't I think of that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've been doing the.
Speaker 1: Same thing though for how long? And I didn't think of it like that.
Speaker 5: So I think as we mature with our teaching, we begin to look at the body in front of us, and we're starting to think more about their nervous system, their emotions, absolutely, what background do they come from, what's going on in life that might be affecting this. Okay, at the age when I started, I didn't.
Speaker 4: Think of any of those things. It was like, how much fads? What's the movement?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 5: You got to sit down on that reformer, right, you know, it was like, you know, there was nothing.
Speaker 4: It was just like you pump your arms and your breathe. What's so hard about this?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 5: And then yeah, and then you know, as I started maturing and getting older and more secure with my own teaching, it's like, you know, there's a whole nervous system.
Speaker 4: Thing going on with this methodad.
Speaker 5: You know, there's some emotional content going on, and you know, and that's why, like, you know, like working as an educator, I tell these young teachers, you know, you really got to discover the body that's in front of you.
Speaker 4: You've got to.
Speaker 5: You've got to really look and look past the movement, look inside that body, look inside that mind, and it's going to give you a lot of answers.
Speaker 4: So yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. One of the things I uh thinking about that evolution. There's there's certainly seeing the person, the whole person behind the movement and recognizing, you know, learning to adjust your teaching style as Brian was talking about, to that body in front of you, just so that they can hear you, because you know, you say the same thing to three different people and one hears you and the other two are like, what are you talking about? So there's that piece, But there's also in terms of I've spent so much I've spent so much time doing rehab, so mostly I've been problem solving, like for most of my career and then teaching teachers, but problem solving has really been part of it, and so much of that. I want to tie this back to what you said earlier, which is how exercises just keep opening up, right, Like you think you got this, you've done it, You've taught this twenty seven thousand times, and then one day you're teaching it and going, ah, there's a whole other piece of this. Like this is gonna sound This may sound stupid to many of you, but I remember with short spine. Okay, short spine is a basic plates exercise, right, And for the longest time I was really focused on the front of the body. Yeah, right, this should all be done from the front of the body because Plates a sort of focused that way in a lot of ways. And I was like, oh no, this is a back body exercise. Like if you can't lift up yourself up from the back and get that length of the whole back body, you can't actually hold that position up at the top and then you'll go through the whole thing. And that was a moment many years ago, but that was a moment of like, oh, all the things I wasn't getting or hadn't gotten yet, you know, until i'd really explored it and taught it a whole bunch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think some of it too, with what we're seeing now, is that a lot of.
Speaker 5: These new teachers really do not know the so these exercises. They're young, they don't know what they're after yet. And I think it's educators, it's it's up to us so we preserve this method because you know, lately, I've.
Speaker 4: Been feeling for count losing control.
Speaker 5: Here method, and I think it's up to us as educators to really drive you know that that into their heads and into their bodies. So this carries on and we can keep you know, some resemblance to you know, the original method. And I think, you know, Joe really wanted us all to experience.
Speaker 1: A couple of weeks ago. I just wanted to touch on that. Yeah, a few weeks ago we talked, uh, Nora and I talked about influences versus educators, and I kind of want to get your opinion on this because as we've gotten further along in the evolution of pilates and the evolution of movement and fitness and everything else, that this sort of comes into what I'm finding is the younger trainers, the younger pilates instructors, the younger movement professionals are trying to do too much too soon. They're trying to be the top of the food you know, the top of the food chain within their first year before they know anything. Because they see other young people that look like them and sound like them on all the social media things, they automatically assume that they should be the same way and that they should have all of this information. Whereas the three of us together have nearly one hundred years of movement background. That's a lot of experience that we've got under our belts. So we can say things that we know to be true because we've seen it, done it, been there, you know, got the T shirt, you know, years ago. And so I wanted to get your opinion on that on when you're training those younger educators or these younger plates instructors, how to keep them I hate to use a phrase, but how to humble them without humbling them, you know what I mean? How to let them know that they still have a lot to learn and that this is a progression and an evolution within themselves. Not just within the industry.
Speaker 5: I when I teach, I try to create dialogue. So it's just not me giving them, you know, lecture lecture, lecture lecture. I try to create communication with them and I try to get up in their heads with them. And you know, these are young people that they're so used to instant gratification because they you know, if they don't get to go to the next one, oh, that stiffies.
Speaker 4: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 5: So I kind of like, you know, bring that into play and say, like, you know, you're not scrolling, You're working with movement. You're working with a person or a human body, a human being, and it can't come overnight. Teaching is going to evolve as you're going to see this body involved in front of you, and what works now may may not work in a couple of years because that body will change a little bit as you are going to change because you have now more experience.
Speaker 4: They all want to, like, you know, become these big.
Speaker 5: Name teachers and travel the world. Well, it took me years to get my you know name. I don't know if I'm a big name out there, but it took me years to get where I'm at and to get invited to teach at these places, and I just feel like with our younger generation, they want right now, and that's you know, that's the the you know, the mindset they're in, you know.
Speaker 4: And I think a lot comes from our social media.
Speaker 5: I mean, like like your your your last you know episode, you talk about influencer.
Speaker 4: Do they really do plotis? I don't know.
Speaker 5: Maybe they really not how to work Instagram and they really know how to believe algorithm to benefit them and that I'll give to them.
Speaker 4: And I've learned a lot from watching those people.
Speaker 5: And I've had some you know, consultations where I've like, you know, hired somebody, all right, tell me how to.
Speaker 4: Do this, you know, because you know, Instagram is a.
Speaker 5: Very powerful application for PLOTUS teachers. We put ourselves out there, you know, and I get a lot of imitations from you know, across the globe to come and guests each because they saw me Instagram.
Speaker 4: So you know, I play that out.
Speaker 5: But we're finding too that people is like, why do I want to pay you all this money to get trained when I can go on Instagram and oh look somebody's doing the hundreds.
Speaker 4: I'll just mimic that, you know, I was.
Speaker 1: I was literally just talking to an educator and a couple of hours ago about this very thing that she went to a PLATES conference and one of the people who was teaching was one of these influencers out of I think Los Angeles or something, and spent the entire session teaching things like how to put on the springs properly and how to adjust the spring tension. It wasn't teaching anything beyond the most basic information. And this educator said, I don't really think that they knew very much about PLATES, but they had a huge following and that's all that mattered, and that's all that got them invited to teach in the first place. And I think we're seeing a lot of that where these people don't have very much to say. They don't have a voice, but they're really good in thirty second clips. But put them in a hour of course, that's a little different. What do they have to say.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they don't have the attention span first of all, is what I'm firing now, And it's very hard, you know, like I'm trying to.
Speaker 4: Hit those sixteen hours in some of these courses, and I'm telling you about.
Speaker 5: That fourteenth me included I'm like, okay, guys, you know, let's repeat this exercise.
Speaker 4: One more time.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: So the attention span, you know, social media has roomed that for us, you know, because we just instantly can change our attention to something new and fleshy and shiny. So yeah, exactly. And teaching, you know, around the world, like you know, I get to do, which is you know, quite an honor. You know, it's a problem we're seeing all over the place, everywhere, everywhere. I was just every Mexico city teaching a couple of weeks ago, and there were some influencers.
Speaker 4: Now I will give them this. They could move and they understood it, but they were so incredible with their phones, you know, and you know, getting it right on Instagram and boomed. It was like I was amazed with it. I was like, you know, teach me. Yeah, so yeah, very very interesting.
Speaker 5: Do you I kind of feel like, you know, do you think Instagram is going to be the the downfall plates or do you think it's gonna be.
Speaker 2: You know, I mean, take this for what it is, but I feel like Pilates has an incredible amount of value.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 2: I think it's one of the best, most complete foundational movement systems on the planet. And I think I think if you really, if you do pilates for a period of time, your body will be in better shape, Like you'll be able to do more things with more resilience and less injuries than if you didn't do pilates. Like that's just been my experience for you know, thirty plus years. So I think I think that will stay. And I think, like with any of these bubbles, because this is a bubble, right, everybody's jumping on the bandwagon. And I mean I think you know too, from teaching educators or teaching teachers like I've taught for years, there's there's about I call it the five percent. There's about five percent of any class of any group of teachers that I ever work with that are going to take this on as a profession. They're gonna to be serious about it. They're going to do the work, they're going to learn the stuff, and they're going to move forward, and they'll be doing this for twenty years, roughly ninety five percent. And I could be I don't think I'm actually too generous with that. Are are like, oh, this is cool, I'm going to do this for a little while, they pop in, they teach for a couple of years at club, pilates or wherever else, or at a studio it's too hard, it doesn't make enough money. Then they you know, they go off and get married or have a kid, and they move on to the next phase of their life. I think a good chunk of the bubble right now is going to end up being part timers, hobbyists. You know, they'll they'll get whatever they get out of it, which may be great, and then then move into whatever the next thing is. That's always been true. I mean when when I look at the numbers from Bounce Body and how many students start with Mount one and Reformer one and then go on to be comprehensive, Like, there's always a small percentage that goes on. I mean it may be twenty five thirty percent, but there's a big chunk that go, oh, this is great, I want to be a PLOTA teacher. And then they try it for a while and go this is too hard. Yeah, yeah, because it kind out yeah what it actually is.
Speaker 1: Yes, And I think they don't get that fame. I think that's the other thing is I think they're looking for that gratification that comes not only from you know, being famous in all of this, but having that Instagram fame, of being recognized and all of this without realizing that Pilate's movement fitness is a very small bubble in this world.
Speaker 2: It's very nobody really cares. Let's be honest.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think any of us have walked through an airport and have had people screaming our names and chasing us for autographs. I don't think that's happened. So I think that in general, if that's what they're looking for and they're looking for Pilates to do that for them, I think they're sadly mistaken. And I think that there will be a few that can make their name, you know, by being but it's more being an Instagram star or being a social media star than it is being a Pilates teaching star. And I think that's the difference.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, They're looking for fame, that's yeah, looking for fame.
Speaker 2: And this is a funny. Is a friend of the world to be famous in I mean, try you. You are probably the two more of the better known people in this world at the moment, just because we've been around a lot in a long time and a lot of places. But it's still like this is not this is whatever whatever they're hoping for.
Speaker 4: This isn't it Just I think it's glamorous. You know, I'm taking off the Florence and I know with I love her Joel. I was just on the before. And what they don't understand is like, you know, first thing, we fly all night.
Speaker 5: Exactly l exhausted, and we put that plotter's hat on and we stand up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's just like you know, and you know, because my clients kind of feel like I take a lot of vacasions because I and I'm like, no, this is it's not a vacation.
Speaker 5: I'm traveling to another studio and it's just centry right, different students that don't speak our language. And I've got a translator now to deal with. And we all know when we teach, you know, internationally, a translator can make our break. You you know, I have translator nightmare anxiety before, as you should.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I had one in Russia. Was is not we were not.
Speaker 5: We were like that the whole time, you know. So yeah, and so it's not as glamorous as what they think. But then on the other hand, you know, we get to make friends all over the world, you know, which is you know, the beauty of you know, of our work.
Speaker 4: We we get to travel and we get to make.
Speaker 5: New connections, and you know, see what I didn't feel that, you know, that pulse of the community globally, and I think that's like an incredible thing.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I wanted to roll back just a little bit because one of the things that you asked, and I just wanted to bring this up. You know, when I see a lot of stuff on Instagram, you know, some of it is again some of it is fantastic, some of it is really nice, I think, additions to the repertoire, because the Repipoi does have, in my opinions, some limitations in terms of functional movement skills and things like that. But the other thing, too is most of my clients, and I think most of the clients that I've ever met in any ploty studio don't need that yet. They need to like get their footwork going and maybe some feed and straps and maybe some core work and maybe some armwork because they're not there yet. You know, Like I look at these things, I think that's great, you know, that's fantastic that they can do. That looks beautiful whatever, But I'm thinking the clients that I know need to basically get their hips and their knees and their ankles working together. And if they can do that, that will make a difference in their lives. It's not glamorous like that is not glamorous. Full work is not like that exciting to watch. That makes such a huge difference in really changing people's lives. And that's always the thing too. And I say this a lot to teachers because young teachers always think they need more. I need more exercises, I need more things, I need more stuff. I was like, no, actually you don't. You just need to teach the exercises you have better, right, I see that all the time. You just need to really dive in there, really get that person precise. And I can make anybody have a hard workout, doing a most basic workout by making them do it right right. It's not about what they're doing, it's like if they're really doing it right and concentrating, I can make anybody sweat. I can make anybody feel like they've just killed themselves and they're not doing anything fancy. They're just doing it well.
Speaker 5: You know, well, I think we're seeing so much of you know, these other studios where the music gets pumping and there's lights now that yeah, I know, and like you know, it's it's a super high buzz they get from the class. Yes, and then they come to people like us and we go, okay, shut up and lay down exactly.
Speaker 4: Attention, Yeah, like you have to pay attention. Yeah, that's my other that's my other beat, the attention. It skills and both students and clients.
Speaker 5: You know, as I get older, my my my filters are starting to diminish, and I have to really let some people have about.
Speaker 2: Not you know, put your phone down, listen to what.
Speaker 5: I'm telling you, you know, and you know, don't ask me stupid questions like how many springs After I've said three times, how many springs disposed?
Speaker 4: Exactly, that's where your head is right now, you know.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I try to, like I really try to instill that into you know, the teacher training, to really really get them excited about what they're going to teach and how to get better at teaching.
Speaker 4: It's like movement literacy. You're going to be a very very you know, movement specialists and and you know, and it's hard. It's been hard.
Speaker 5: I've seen, you know, I've seen what I thought they were going to stick with it, and they drop out because they lose their yeah, their gusto and getting the whole you know, comprehensive certification under their belt.
Speaker 4: So and I don't know if that's going to get better or it's going to get worse.
Speaker 2: I think it's going to get worse because again it's just this is hard work. I mean, you know, not to put to find a point on it, but if you're really want to comprehensively trained, it's just it's a lot of work. It's a lot of time, it's a lot of attention, it's a lot of practice sessions with clients. And if you're not interested or this kind of work isn't interesting to you and doesn't feed you in some way, why would you go through that much trouble? I mean, go and become you know, a finance guy or a wealth manager or something else. It's probably less work in a lot of ways, and certainly more reward. So I think I think what I do, I do think and optimistically, I think we're going to be left with those that are really interested. Those are the ones that are going to continue on and keep this going because there's there's enough of them, you know, you know many of them. I know many of them that are just like they're committed and they will keep carrying this, this pilateus world forward on their shoulders for you know, until they move it on to the next person and those people coming up exactly.
Speaker 4: Anyway, that's my home. I hope so too. You know, it's it's been.
Speaker 5: It's definitely a challenge, but it's a challenge that I'm really you know, I'm willing to take on to really help preserve you know, that we have something to teach and that it hasn't changed too much. And you know that's the other thing, like, you know, like I try to stick, you know, with my classical roots a lot, but there's just you know, sometimes that body in front of me is just not able to take some of that. Yeah, So you know, I really try to, you know, you know.
Speaker 4: Honor it.
Speaker 5: But you know, I make small changes and you know, you know who helped me the most with that was Julian Lulford.
Speaker 4: Juliane and I were good buddies.
Speaker 5: I went out to you know, San Diego a lot to his studio and he can't leave that a lot.
Speaker 4: We were good friends and Juliane was amazing doing that. He really has incredible sense of that person, the movement that he wanted. Yeah, so I have a Julian story I have to tell. Yes, Julie and I stayed up drinking way too much wine one night.
Speaker 5: You know, he's British, so he didn't. Yeah, he was like, I'm British, I can drink. So we're drinking lots of wine. We get to the studio at seven o'clock in the morning. Juliane puts me on the reformer and he goes, okay, mate, let's do climatory.
Speaker 8: No warm up, no nothing, me up back. So God, I climb that tree. I walked down my I climb back down my tree.
Speaker 4: I go into the well, hang out for a moment. I bring my head up. I climbed. I threw up that.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, that's what I would have done.
Speaker 8: Yeah, like I'm holding my leg.
Speaker 4: I went.
Speaker 8: And he looked at me with these white eyes and he goes, mate, I.
Speaker 4: Can't believe it. You just vomited in my studio. He was he was so much fun.
Speaker 2: He was so much fun on this inside the time. Yeah, oh yeah, how could you know? Did you?
Speaker 4: Did you get to know Julian? Never did, never met him. He was He was great, great, great, great teacher.
Speaker 5: And Julian I really like, you know, kind of felt, kind of took me out of being, you know, the classical world and brought me a little bit more into a contemporary world. And the things that taught me were so valid and so absolutely And he had that Martha Graham technique in his body. He understood that, and he was able to take that technique and put it into you know, the method. I think that's why Ron Fletcher loved him so much, because you know, Ron also Martha Graham, and you know certainly knew because Julian was the star of the Martha Graham you know, Dan's company. Oh yeah, yeah, you know, Juliane was rehearsing Britson of Cough when Martha Graham you know, wanted you know, Brichion and Cough to do.
Speaker 4: I think it was I forget what ballet it was, but one of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I saw that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, wow, all right, all.
Speaker 2: Right, thank you so much for a for a wonderfully wide ranging conversation. Yeah, I loved it.
Speaker 1: This was awesome. Thank you so much for joining us, and have you guys honor awesome, awesome, Thank you guys for joining us as well. We really appreciate every one of you who listens every week. Do us a favor, hit that Liken subscribe button. We really appreciate it. Reach out to us at Moving Combos at gmail dot com. Check us out on Instagram. Moving Combos is our handle there and you can see what Troy looks like and see us have this conversation on YouTube and it's under my name Brian Ritchie and for Norah sat John and Troy M. Cardi, I'm Brian Richie. We'll see you next week. Hey guys,