Speaker 1: Breaking down all the exes at all. It's Steve Lavera and Jacin Salax. This is I on the Ball on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to win them all here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: I'm Steve, you're Jay. Now we have Ryan with breaking news.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball, breaking news on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Look at that man, It worked. It worked today finally.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, let's get into news topics regarding Arizona.
Speaker 3: Arizona football.
Speaker 4: Jacob Manu and Jonah Savania have been selected to the Lombardi Award watch List for this upcoming season.
Speaker 2: Yep, it's a I'm Henry. It's it's the best defensive player. What is it?
Speaker 3: I said?
Speaker 4: This honor values character, discipline, excellence. I don't off the football field.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so it's not just an on the field follower. But again, thank god, there's so many of them. Now, got to start to figure out a way to keep track of all those. But again, you know, going back to see what we said, is it? You know, Arizona football teams don't normally get this kind of notoriety with so many different guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it seems like every week there's a new story coming out. So as always been selected to some kind of award watch list for the upcoming seasons. Good switching over to another award, the Manning Award. No if lands on that watch list for the upcoming season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, best quarterback. And that's one where he won, like Player of the Week or something like that a couple of times last year, or freshman player, I don't remember what it was, something like that.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, he earned Manning Start of the Week twice after Week.
Speaker 3: Nine win and then.
Speaker 2: What was the other one.
Speaker 4: He had a single game programmed record of seven yards passing in a win over Arizona.
Speaker 2: That was a s u hah. All right, so there yeah, so there you guys.
Speaker 4: Uh, this is an interesting story that I read about this afternoon, some news out of I guess I think it was the NFL Game Day or NFL Live on ESPN, r G three, Robert Griffin the third and Yeah, I saw.
Speaker 2: From cow Man Nobody's safe Man, Nobody say Nobody. I'm like, what the hell are we doing? I'm Sam Ponder. She's like the host of their their their Sunday preview show, Like what are we doing?
Speaker 5: Nobody's safe. This business is a crazy business. I feel sorry for the people trying to become our business. No, honestly, it's tough this other but the thing about it too is and this is a former well not Ponder, but RG three, who's pretty good at what he does.
Speaker 3: He's a he's a former player.
Speaker 5: Right, and and that's what journalists are becoming former players. I shouldn't say journalists, these people players are becoming studio people, media people.
Speaker 3: Good luck with that.
Speaker 4: Well he does here that Griffin was replaced on Monday Night count Down by Jason Kelsey, who just retired.
Speaker 5: And that's part of it. You get replaced by somebody else. The last time I checked, that was life, because it's just.
Speaker 3: Life is.
Speaker 5: Next person and and not not any fault of your own. They just saw somebody better, or Paul potentially better. Look at what's his name?
Speaker 3: Olson? Was it Olson?
Speaker 5: Who's a pretty pretty good dude who does his job. And then oh, there's Tom Brady.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's Tom Brady. We'll get him on. He looks squirrel, look yeah, but he's still there is Yeah, he's the number two guy now instead of the lead guy.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, all right, switching over to NBA. They released their schedule today. It'll kick off on October twenty second, featuring the defending champs, the Celtics taking on the New York Knicks.
Speaker 3: So we'll see the next got Do they have a futures?
Speaker 2: Do you have futures in their futures on the NBA? Yeah, of course they do. Tell me, tell me all right, let me go, let me go around. I'll give you my tip for NBA this year. Okay, Oh really, you're gonna tell us what?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, I wouldn't know what the number is NBA futures.
Speaker 2: All right, let's see.
Speaker 3: And I didn't.
Speaker 5: I didn't have it last year because I didn't bet it last year. But I've hit the last three or four. And you know that right because we talk about it.
Speaker 2: Okay, you want you want NBA champion? Yeah, NBA champion. The favorite bus is the Boston something, the plus nine.
Speaker 5: It's three hundred, three hundred right to one. They were gonna be my pick. They aren't. They are going to be my pick still are three. It's I better get them now because they're gonna be lower than this. But you're gonna have Tatum, who's pissed, right, from the OS and you're gonna have Brown who's pissed because the Olympics picked him. And then you have a good group of already guys that can repeat without question. And if you're happy to go three to I thought I was hoping they'd be like five to one.
Speaker 3: But three to one, I can say a decent number.
Speaker 2: But the second U Philadelphia, they're third Philadelphias plus eight fifty somebody in between.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Oklahoma City. I would never bet on them, and yeah no, I think there's seven hundred.
Speaker 3: No, I wouldn't. Where's Oakland? What's up? The Golden State?
Speaker 2: That's man that you dated yourself there, the Oaklanland Golden State is they're the one, two, three, four, five, eight, nine tenth favorite Wow plus thirty five hundred.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's Steve. You gotta be a miracle worker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, right now, you got it. It's it's it's the Celtics, the Thunder, the seventy six Ers, the Knicks, yeah, the Nuggets, okay, the t Wolves and the MAVs tied, the Bucks, the Lakers nine, and then the Warriors and the Suns are tied.
Speaker 3: Well, the Suns are down that far. Wow.
Speaker 2: Wow, Well, what's it to in the West Division winner? And I asked, because the conference winner, the conference winner, the Sons. Yeah, the Sons are fifteen hundred to win. That wouldn't be a bad pick. They're the fifth pick in that one.
Speaker 3: That would be a bad pick.
Speaker 2: Those thunder Nuggets, MAVs, t Wolves, Lakers.
Speaker 5: Fifteen fifty, fifteen hundred dollars because at some point they have to defy the odds again and they have, they have, they have people.
Speaker 3: They just gotta be healthy.
Speaker 5: And yeah, I mean just got of course, you know Santa Claus's got come on December twenty fifth too. But yeah, I might save the hundred bucks. No, but I do like Boshington again to repeat. Wow, how can you not write?
Speaker 2: But you always like the team to I never thought the Nuggets were going to repeat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't. I didn't bet that.
Speaker 2: I didn't write. I didn't And yeah, so yeah, I don't know. I don't you know what I I guess I'm not interested enough to put a few.
Speaker 3: You'd have to be.
Speaker 2: I don't want to have to pay.
Speaker 3: You have to wait to wait a long time. Then you started, someone like.
Speaker 2: You get in the playoffs, and it's like, that's not too much.
Speaker 5: And some like you it would be after every game we tugged all crap.
Speaker 2: I don't even I don't even have money on the Dodgers this year. Yeah, and then you said it would be a disappointment. Yeah, but I have no money on them. You know, here's the funny thing is that, first of all, there are only two games ahead because they won and both I mean they lost in both the the Padres and the and the Diamondbacks did not play, so the lead is down to the two games. But you know, through all this, they after they beat Milwaukee on Tuesday, and I've been thinking they're crappy. They had the best record in in in in baseball and I was pitching about it. Now they've lost two games, two games in a row. It's like, oh God, tell me, tell me you're spoiled without tell me your spoil There you go, there, it is all right. We interrupted your breaking news ahead.
Speaker 4: I wanted to go back real quick. We're talking about the Suns. The Sons and Spurs are actually gonna be playing a game. I'm gonna be playing a game later on in the season back in Austin. So Katie is actually going to be returning to Texas play a game in a neutral site. So that's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: That's a it's a real game or is it an exhibition game?
Speaker 4: Just says a special game will take place.
Speaker 3: Did you say when February twenty it's.
Speaker 2: A real game?
Speaker 3: I would assume it's yeah, well season, Yeah, yeah, okay, I think they're just going to play an extra game, just to say in season game.
Speaker 4: There's a report out of MLB that I wanted to go over.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: They talking about a new potential rule change for the future. Starting pictures might possibly have to go a minimum of six innings.
Speaker 2: That's dumb. In the future, that's what's the rule. That's stupid. How can you do that? You're gonna get a picture? Get shelld in the first thing? Right, they're changing baseball? Yeah, yeah, that's that's the dumbest thing.
Speaker 3: Did you hear that? Is that?
Speaker 2: I haven't heard it from.
Speaker 3: Who's's it coming from? What's coming from the banana the banana.
Speaker 2: That banana, the bananas or whatever they are?
Speaker 5: This is coming from ESPN, Yeah yeah, but from it has to be from the major League group that says they're thinking.
Speaker 3: About it, right, it's not it's not a thing happening there.
Speaker 2: Thinking about it, there's no way, Yeah, lose their minds on that.
Speaker 5: You're down six zero in the first two innings and you're not going to keep the guy in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I mean it's gonna wear his arm down.
Speaker 2: These guys don't even go six innings anything.
Speaker 5: Baseball is turning into something else, something well we need ball. You like the quicker pace.
Speaker 2: I like the quicker pace of it, but I you know, I don't like the fact that, you know, really for fantasy league purposes, that you're starting pictures almost never go five innings where they can possibly get a win. It's dumb. I mean, you know, I mean, I mean, you've seen pictures come out with no hitters. You've seen pictures, you know, have shutouts and they're shutting the team out. They give up a base hit at the top of the six the start of the six inning, and they get pulled. Stuff like that. Yeah. I don't like that.
Speaker 3: No, I don't either.
Speaker 2: I like that, all right, right, dude, I have I have a juicy one. I have a very juicy you. I know, if you saw this Notre Dame, that's what I was just bring up that where you're going. Okay, you go.
Speaker 4: I'm just making sure they spent team, right, yes, okay, right. So the news out of Notre Dame. Notre Dames suspended its men's swimming program Thursday, at least one year after an external review from members on the team violated NA rules by wagering amongst themselves the results of their competitions that failed to treat one another dignity and respect.
Speaker 2: They've killed the swimming, just swimming, okay, men swimming. The diving is still going to have their seas and the women swimming and diving. He's gonna have to see the men swimming. They gave him the death penalty for a year. The Notre Dame did it themselves. They said we're canceling the men's swimming season because they because they they were gambling amongst themselves, right, But they also it says that they're just things going. But what I'm trying to find the wording for something about, uh, While individual conduct varied, the overwhelming cultural dynamic on the team necessitates a full suspension. So basically saying there's too many people are just butt heads and we're and we're killing their season. This is from their from their idea. I think it's peep ofvacca. Made me think of kur Kurpevaka, who Tomulus sort of once said, couldn't hit water if you fell out of a boat. But that's a whole another thing. It's said, he said. We profoundly regret that the small number of team members who did not participate in the conduct and those who are planning on joining the team this fall, will also suffer the consequences of this decision. We deeply value our responsibilities educators in our commitment to our student athletes, and we'll work with other university offices appropriate to provide support to those affected by our decision. So they just killed your season because you guys are just a holes.
Speaker 3: Well, and who's who was the team? Was it Iowa? What team?
Speaker 2: Was they just being a pain in the neck? It was Iowa.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 5: Do you see this all the time? Kind of yeah, thet they need football.
Speaker 2: They need football. They don't need swimming exactly. It can save some money by not having a swimming program. It's crazy that they just killed an entire season for the kids. You're a parent, Let's say your kid got oh, it's got a scholarship. You're swimming Notre Dame. God, this is awesome. And guess what, mom, Yeah, I can't. They killed our seasons.
Speaker 5: Well, I wonder if they're allowed to go somewhere else now, because if you're swimming at Notre Dame, guess what, you must be pretty good.
Speaker 2: You can't lose the year. I mean, I guess I think I read the Notre Dame had. They had a bunch of Olympias, so it's not like they're a shabby program. Where did I see that? I swear I saw somewhere? Oh it says s I reported Thursday that the team created its own sports book to wager on its swimming performances along with other sports, and the majority of the returning team for the twenty twenty four twenty five season was believed to have placed bets. So somebody started book making things.
Speaker 3: So Notre Dame has now canceled bingo and.
Speaker 2: Yeah it said. They sent multiple representatives to the twenty twenty four Olympics. Chris Giuliano won gold in the man's four by one hundred meter free. Star relay head coach Chris Lindaar was an assistant coach for Team USA and Tyler Christensen swam the two hundred meters breastroke for Panama, and they've swimming and diving finished second in the ACC Championships and they were tenth in the NC Double A's. So it's not like it's a terrible program or anything. A bunch of a bunch of goofballs. Did you just man? They missed up? You killed a program. I'm sorry. I mean the odds of that happening were two to one. You know what, Now, let's get the hell out of here. We're coming back with our friend, have your morales, will talk some high school sports and see who's who in the upcoming season. So stick around.
Speaker 6: Window Depot is more than a windows store. The Window Depot is a one softwarehouse with everything you need for your complete Homer model. Shop the aisles of pre built cabinets in a variety of colors, granite and courts, countertops, sinks, skylights, and hardware. To complete your project. Need a custom order, we can help. Our designers offer free design services and can special order everything you need for your kitchen or bathroom remodel.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 6: Shop the Window Deepot dot com or find a location near you. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 3: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 2: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 7: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 8: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve.
Speaker 7: Arizona Health can leading it and exercise equipment on twenty seconds just quest of will not did you know sports cards at Memorabilia are setting record sales last month of nineteen fifty two, tops Mickey Mantle SO for twelve point six million, Lebron James Rookie SO for five point six Also, collecting cards is a family fun hobby that can be very profitable.
Speaker 9: If you want to start a collection or expand your collection, check out Showtime Cards. They are one of the leading card shops in the country and have served our local community for twenty five years. They are located on E Speedway. That's show Time Cards.
Speaker 3: At Nova Home.
Speaker 10: Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com that's Volpe team dot com or call five two oh SIXE eight five six two six Today in MLS three oh eight seven, arizon A BKO nine Z two nine four two Equal housing Opportunity Now to commitment to Lindrixyn. Credit rates and available loan programs are subject to change with Unumbice.
Speaker 11: It's awards season for summer sports leagues and time to look at trophies for baseball, softball, volleyball, and swimming seasons for youth and adult leagues. Summer has arrived and it's time to replenish your promotional products for your companies. Giveaways keep your employees looking great in fresh new apparel, polos and caps with your sharp looking logo. Creative Awards is here to serve your professional and promotional products needs. Visit their Creative Awards Idea center at two twenty eight West Drackman Street or visit them online at Creative awardsaz dot com.
Speaker 12: Gut bugs, termites, bees, are rodents. Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist that's can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation.
Speaker 1: Today streaming live on the iHeartRadio WAPP. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jacin Salez on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 5: Hey, welcome back to Win on the Ball here Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Riverta, He's Jacinsauf. Now on the phone, we have Javier Morales from All Sports tuosun dot com.
Speaker 3: Javier, how you doing good? How you guys doing We're doing fine.
Speaker 5: Jay is all kitty, all giddy because college basket of college football is going to start. He can't wait. I'm guessing that you feel the same way with what's gonna happen with high school football.
Speaker 13: Yeah, just a week from tomorrow, the high school football season starts here with one A and two A and three A teams playing. It's hard to believe that it's it's coming up so fast.
Speaker 2: How much of with the way things, you know, players graduate and coaches changes, how much can you tell about you know, who's going to be good, who's not going to be good? Uh, you know, coming up in a given season, we just had Pat nugentn uh uh no mkee on yesterday Scott McKee, and he said, we only got three returners right coming off of state championship. You know, you don't know how good they're going to be, but he thinks it will be pretty good because they've got a good program. But how much can you tell about program and how good they're going to be from year to year depending on who leaves.
Speaker 13: I think the way you can tell is just like who's coming back, that you know who's coming back. And this year a lot of teams are hard by graduation, Like you mentioned Cdo the be No lost a lot of their talent. Take a Verdie who made it to who won their first playoff game in school history, lost virtually all their starters. They had a senior laden team. But the team that has that this year is Mike Mountainey. And I heard your interview with Pat and eugen mentioned they had about twenty six seniors coming back. So that's the recipe for success right there. So I can imagine them going deep in the playoffs and maybe the state championship game. There's really no other team like that than Tucson this year. With last year, there was, there was a handful.
Speaker 3: So is South Point going to be decent this year?
Speaker 13: Well, seuth Point has transitioned because they you know, they lost Dereck Rodgers, but they have a good coach and pat Ryden who is a defensive coordinator and he's well respected around to Soon and among coaches. Coach at Pema College, UH, you know they're there. They obviously have the most talent pool than any school. So and he's a good coach and he has a good coaching staff. So I would anticipate they're going to be right there in the playoff hunt. There's there's schedules a litt bit more favorable this year than last year. They do play some top teams UH in the States, like like Higley and so forth, but they play them here at this time. So it's Scott Dale Farrell comes down here to Cell Point this year to play them. So I think they're going to be right in the hunt. But you know, there's a lot of unknown factors. With a new coach, some of the some of the players probably left that we don't know about. It's not as easy as college where he can track transfer with a transfer portal. UH transfers pop up and you're like, oh, I didn't know he went to that school. It's because it's they try to keep it as secretive as possible, some of the coaches because they wanted to get that player in there. And then it's a matter of them having, you know, appeal to the AA that they can have full eligibility to start, but they have to wait. Most of these players have to wait five games. So not not too many transfers happened in high school, but some do.
Speaker 2: Uh did did we know that? So that Eric Rodgers had left Cell Point? When did that happen?
Speaker 13: That happened Uh close to maybe a month after the season. There was you know a lot of what happens at South Point is based on parent input and uh, because you know, you pay, you pay there to you have your kid of attending school, and they listen to what parents say. And and that that was the situation there where the dictated to change. And it's unfourse because I like Eric Rodgers and he's a heck of a coach, but he might not have been the favorite amongst some parents. And there was a change that happened. Pat Wright AND's got a good background, uh, and Eric Rodgers now is up at Basha as an assistant coach, coaching the freshman team or the JV team. I'm sorry because his son's up there now. Jake Rogers, he's the heck of a quarterback prospect. Well, well he's up he's up up there in Chandler.
Speaker 3: Now, so we have Eric Rodgers on the show tomorrow.
Speaker 13: Well, there you go. You have a lot of talking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is a good thing. Why are you calling me?
Speaker 3: No, he was very nice on the phone with me today. So no, he's fine.
Speaker 2: But that's great.
Speaker 5: We could talk about that and we'll see what he can say about Southwocre. But now let's look at this. We've had scurring on recently. We've had Pieces no longer coaching, and now we have Rogers who's out locally.
Speaker 3: So there's some three big names not coaching.
Speaker 13: Yeah, he's and Eric Rodgers. He's relatively young. He's I think he was that selpling for four or five years. But he had I mean he took him to the state championship game, the five age game into twenty twenty one. They lost, but they had Trason Borgae as the quarterback. Yeah, he's he's he's going to be a good coach. I think the reason why he went up to up to Basha is because he he knows some of the players there that play. It was a Tucson turf or with Basia where Jake Rogers plays, and I think there was a connection there. But I hated to see him leave Tucson because you want to have as many good two coaches here in southern Arizona. You don't You don't want to lose those really good coaches like that.
Speaker 3: Who's the best team in Tucson.
Speaker 13: Right I would say there's a there's a top three right now, fell Point Morana and Micah Mallin those are those are like, yeah, Morana's got They have Desmond Roebuck the receiver that's committed to Washington, and they've always had has had a high powered offense ever since Philip Stewart was coached, and actually before that, when Andy Litton coached there with Fred and Bourget and then Louis Louis Emiraz who passed away last week, he was the coach and he kind of kept it going there for three years with Jordan Morgan one of the tackles, and and then now their their offense is still high power they just their defenses has been their scripts and I with trying to stay up with some of the top teams in Phoenix. So we'll see how good their defenses, but their offense is always you know, dynamic.
Speaker 2: Interesting because I was going to say, I was gonna mention, you know, Philip screwed over Moran. I mean, he's done an incredible job over there. I mean they had that big game last year and you know, kind of got beat up, but it's still that's a program that maybe hasn't been right up in those parts for consistently for a while, but they have been the last couple of years.
Speaker 13: Yeah, they've been knocking on the door. They they their thing is they go to the playoffs and they lose in the first round, right or possibly go to the second round. They don't make the deep runs. Phil Stewart is a great coach. I mean this is only a third year. He's great. You guys should have him on your show. He's just very Uh he's a very he's merry much of players coach, but he demands respect and he's you know, he's a former NFL player, right played for actually Kevin Summon in Houston. But he evolved from there to play for the Rams for a little bit, and then he came over this part to these parts because his fiance was in the pharmacy school at the U of A and that's what made him come to Tucson. And he loves Tucson. But if he if he moved back to Texas, he'd be a head coach at a at a high level Texas school without any questions. So Morana has it good with him right now.
Speaker 2: That's what love does. Don't tell me about love. Don't tell me about love. What are you talking about love? Willison?
Speaker 13: Sorry, huh no, I totally get it.
Speaker 5: So okay, so we have a football you'll be out there a lot of games obviously all sports too soon, covering a lot of these things. Uh, what are you most excited about the year for? You think you're going to see another state champion from here?
Speaker 13: I think I think, like I said, I think Micah Mountain has the best shot sell Point plays in six A. So there's a lot more high caliber teams in the sixth as best in the Phoenix area. That makes it. That makes it difficult. Plus, if cell Point has like an eight or nine win season, they're automatically considered for the Open Division because because of that, because of the how tough the teams are in six D that they'd be playing, so it's tough, they have a tougher road to the championship. Then then I'm a Mica Mountain four A. That's that's why it was such a good thing that CDO didn't get stuck in the Open Division last year. You guys remember late in the year they were in the top top eight of the Open Division and there was some serious concertain they might have to go to the Open Division and they wouldn't have probably got out of the first round because it's hard for the four a's to go against the six a's and so forth. So they were get four in and make a run through the championships. So but yeah, I think Mike Mountain has the clearest shot. I think Moranik has a good Anton five eights. Their defense is is you know, dominant, uh, because their offense will be that way. So I think Mike Mountin has the best chance because they have a lot of people have to have Jimmy Leone back as the defensive end. He's Arizona's looking at him, and so are some others you know, now Big twelve schools, not Pac twelve, but some some schools like that are looking at him. So, uh, I would he have patent? He's and as coach who knows how to win, and he hasn't won a state championship yet, so he's like the sentimental favor that you know, everybody wants to win a state championship and he's knocking on the door.
Speaker 2: Talk about some players because I saw that you had a post yesterday about a kid from Tucson High. I know what China is, how you pronounce it? Yeah? And and just other you know what players should we keep me keeping an eye out for in football this year? Because you love to see that, right, you know kid going to Tucson High. Not you know a program that's been you know, over the year has been pretty good, kind of not good. But you know guys like that who should we be paying attention to?
Speaker 13: Well, he's he's a if you look at his numbers, he's he's amazing and he's been playing football since a young young age. His name has been around for like through youth youth football. But pretty I mean in size, isn't that huge? Five seven point sixty but he he's a dynamic runner and that's his prey return yards and rushing yards and receiving yards. So he's one to watch. I mean, there's there's others uh uh And I heard your interview with Scott mckeeyes today. Evan Greer at at CDO. He's a senior defensive end. He's can play running back to some he's kind of like another Kaden Luke, not not as stockey and not as not as you know, built like that, but he's still a force. Uh. You know, there's a Jacob s Minosa that Amphi. We finally have a player at Amphi that's that's going to be bring some college recruiters. He's he's six two two fifteen. He's a big kid as well, who's going to be good at linebacker. You know, there's there's a few, but there's not any that are like a lot that are D one caliber. I mentioned Jim Jimmy Lell and he is so as Devin. Devin Greer can play his way into that, but there's not a there's not Uh. You know, there's Desmond Roebuck at at Morana, who is obviously D one as a receiver. So there's a lot of small school two D two type players and too soon like usual. But you know, there's not a there's not that that player that wowed you that we've seen in the past, like a B. John Robinson or something along those lines. But uh, that that's the one in the generation anyway. But there are some good players, but there's some there's a lot of players that have to prove themselves this year.
Speaker 5: What have you heard about the kids who left? The one who went to Oregon went went to Washington.
Speaker 2: The two guys, Oh, Elijah Rushing went to Oregon.
Speaker 13: He's he's coming along. I know he graduated or he was an early entrant. You participated in their spring practice, so he's got a leg up on that. They they're high on him. His brother is now a walking over there like he was at at Arizona, so he's That was a strange situation with him decommitting in Arizona where he didn't feel like the coaching staff at that time was was paying attention to him even though he was down the street. So that's it's interesting because now they might play Washington Oregon, so we might actually play against the Jetfish teams there because yeah, that it didn't. It didn't go well with with his family and jetfish.
Speaker 2: Interesting. Interesting all right? Any of the other winter sports or I mean fall sports that we should uh pay attention to here in town, volleyball, anything like that.
Speaker 13: Yeah, volleyball starting up. Swimming and diving is in the is in the fall in Arizona. In southern Arizona, you got you have golf that's going on.
Speaker 3: All that.
Speaker 13: They flag football now with with with the.
Speaker 2: Girls growing, here are the more teams and only.
Speaker 13: We only had two teams here last year. Now we have about ten in Southern Arizona, so that's growing too, so High Included has one this year, so that that that'll garner a lot of interest.
Speaker 3: So it's that's that.
Speaker 13: Sport's going by leaps and bounds in the Olympics. So that's gonna be fun to see.
Speaker 5: Also, I want to ask you, because you're close to the situation, uh least know the people involved Roman Bravo. Have you talked to anybody or even the family with him regarding what happened to him in the Olympics.
Speaker 13: I haven't talked directly to them about that, but I have communicated like Bobby Rodriguez, who works along with him, he trains him. I think it was, and I know that, you know, I teach at Sunnyside High School, so Anthony Leon is here, and from what I've heard is probably I think it was kind of like one of those cases where you think too much and it kind of and you kind of get frozen and it doesn't flow properly. So I think they thought he thought too much and he was trying to be too tactical instead of just being himself and point out and wrestle. If you guys saw it, and I was one of those few that actually woke up at three o'clock in the morning to watch that, and he just there was a lot of stalling, a lot of pausing by him, and he wasn't the aggressive type of Roman Bravo whatever.
Speaker 5: Used to being wait wait, wait wait, you you woke up, that would mean that you went to sleep.
Speaker 13: Yeah, that was about I was already awake for a couple of hours.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 13: I woke up specifically for that that time.
Speaker 3: All right, we love you man, you're making me sleepy.
Speaker 13: Yeah, that that was That was That match was was pretty bad. So I felt like going to sleep right after that. But you know, Roman will be back. He'll he'll be back for l A. It'll be in his backyard here. Do you see him to motivate him?
Speaker 3: Do you see him becoming a UFC guy?
Speaker 13: He wants to he wants to train for that. I hope he's sticks with wrestling though at least four more years and gets another shot at the at the Olympics in LA because he's a he could be that that kind of guy that medals there. And I hope he uses that experience last week to motivated stick and wrestling and keep competing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, well thanksf appreciate it. Have as always taking nap, take a.
Speaker 13: Nap, take care all right, thank you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks Hov.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a tough situation with Roman who you know, I guess if you if he's good at UFC.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a tough life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is. That is a tough life. And you feel bad for what happened to him in the Olympic. Yeah, I mean he worked so hard for that, you know, such a goal for so long and all kind of you know, I mean the whole thing about how they changed the weights and all that. Yeah, so it just all kind of went wrong for him. So that's too bad. Okay, all right, let's take our last break. We're to come back. We'd love to take your calls five two zero, four, one, six, seventy four to forty stick around.
Speaker 3: If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludolsen era.
Speaker 5: In my new book, Lessons from Loot, it was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Luton is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 14: Hi, this is formal while get leman huntly with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal.
Speaker 12: Space and your life.
Speaker 14: We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our share room today at twenty second in Wilmot, Arizona Health the lead edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 11: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make some day today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from in financial aid available, it's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu slash someday. Ready to save but not sure where to begin? Take the Pyramid Federal Credit Union ten thousand dollars Saving Challenge and we'll guide you along the way. Save five hundred dollars over six months as a member and you could win big. Watch your savings grow to help.
Speaker 3: You reach goals like buying a car, owning a home, and more.
Speaker 10: Visit Pyramid FCU dot com slash ten k challenge to get started today been really insured NCUA.
Speaker 3: Do you want to be part of a winning team?
Speaker 9: A Team Security is looking for friendly, outgoing event security guards and event staff to be a part of our team. We've been providing our outstanding services to some of Arizona's biggest sporting events and concerts.
Speaker 2: For over twenty years. We want you to join the action.
Speaker 9: A Team offers a fun and exciting opportunity to work in the sports and entertainment industry, with flexible schedules that are perfect for those looking for a part time job or a second income.
Speaker 3: Come be a part of a winning team.
Speaker 9: The A Team apply online today at a Team security dot net.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jay Gonzalez on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Subscribe now to the podcast on the iHeartRadio a app just Surgeon I on the Ball.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to My the Ball hero Fox Sports forteen to fifty.
Speaker 3: I'm Steve, You're Jay, and we have Ryan with us for the next fifteen minutes.
Speaker 2: If you just want to.
Speaker 5: Call five two zero four one six seven four four zero. I was good to get cut up at high school stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for with the work stuff to get some of the some of some more of those coaches on the show. But go get Morana. I mean, you've had Philip Stewart on before and he was great, and I'd just like to see what's he doing over there? Right? What's going on over at Morana? What's their secret sauce? What's the water up there?
Speaker 3: Water up there?
Speaker 2: Morana? Exactly exactly. Okay, I have a question. Okay, have you seen this on social media about the John Madden movie? No, you've not. Have you seen this on Okay? So there's a there's been an announcement there's gonna be a John Madden biopic or biopic or whatever you call it. Uh, they're gonna make a movie about his life. I'll get I'll give you five guesses as to who will play John Madden, and that you're not even gonna come. No, no, no, no.
Speaker 3: You mentioned that earlier when you first.
Speaker 2: Said, oh do you remember what they said?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well you do not, I do know, just and that's all I know. Would you have guessed that, no, kill No, who would you? I mean, would you have guessed somebody like who's already kind of big? Yeah, heavy, big jowls yeah, apparently tell me who it is again, Nicholas Case, he's gonna have to gain Wait right, don't you think you or what is something something right?
Speaker 3: Or they're gonna see g I or something. Okay, so you know who John Madden is? Right? Okay, well no, because he's way.
Speaker 2: Very young man.
Speaker 3: Yeah you lucky, you you're young.
Speaker 2: He plays the Madden game. I bet. Okay, okay, so.
Speaker 3: No, no, okay, give me your guy who would fit the bill better.
Speaker 2: Uh, I'm trying to think of fat guys.
Speaker 5: Well, you know the guy that I think if you could act, who's called ender who does him? But you know, kind of gum, not grumpy, but he's very crusty. John Goodman, John Goodman, that's a good one because he's kind of big, but now he's lost a lot of weight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so and that's what he That's what Maden did too. He was big, but he was kind of ill. He wore his clothes big. Yeah, John Goodman I think would be good because John Goodman's got that big, boisterous personality thing. Yeah. I think John Goodman was good. John Candy is dead, so you can't say John Candy, who even I think would even look like him a little bit, you know, no neck and all that, but is a good one.
Speaker 3: There's gotta be a couple of other ones.
Speaker 2: God, I can't. I can't think of guys. It's not coming off the All I can say is not Nicholas. I don't see that. Oh here here's one. Uh uh Kevin Kevin. I'm looking him up here, Kevin James. Oh yeah, Kevin James. Yeah, he probably have to lose. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a good one.
Speaker 5: But he's kind of accent that too. Yeah, very animated. Yeah, you would be a good one.
Speaker 2: Just again. I mean, you don't want you don't want to see Nicholas Cage out there with all this false weight on him. You want to you know, I mean some guys. Yeah, you can make him heavy, but he's not gonna act heavy. He's not gonna he's not gonna know how to be him.
Speaker 3: Watch him pull it off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah he might. I mean he's a great actor. You know. I love the guy, like you know, his movies and stuff. But you know, I don't know. I I those are the only two that I can that I can really come up to me, you know, to fit in there. If you didn't have an accent. I guess you could throw in the dude they used to be on that late night British guy. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah that guy, that guy, the talk show guy. Yeah, the talk show guy. Let me look him up here, James claims Gordon. Yeah, yeah, what about I just lost one. I just lost one. Oh the dude who do just prices right now? What's his name? Carry?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jim Carrey.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, that guy, Drew Carre, Drew Carry, Drew Carry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's lost a lot of way too, and and and I full of scholars.
Speaker 2: I'm flipping through Google now. The dude that he just he just won an Academy Award for the Whale of Brendan Fraser.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because yeah, because he's gained to.
Speaker 2: Wait for that, for that job, and and he looked good doing it.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: Will Ferrell he could probably pull it off from the standpoint of being the really loud, uh you know kind of figure. Yeah, he could probably pull it off. I don't know if he could put on the weight.
Speaker 13: What to do.
Speaker 3: It's a good I'm sure I'm gonna see it.
Speaker 2: One Jon Favreau, but he's more of a director. I don't know who that is he was in uh, he came out in singles. He's been, he's been more of a director. There's a movie called Chef that I like that I watch all the time. He's been in some stuff really good. I really like him. He's been. He's done more directing than than than actors.
Speaker 3: So did you see can you say what those movies about? Just his life?
Speaker 11: For me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a life's yeah, it's and I guess I guess yeah, uh his uh, you know his football career. I'm sure that's what.
Speaker 3: I think he had more, a better, better off football career than he did.
Speaker 2: Oh here's it. Well, it says, oh that's interesting. It says that.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: The director David Russell is his name, was also considering Will Ferrell really right? And Hugh Jackman, Hugh jack it's too damn cut. You see his body and Wolverine and all that stuff. But again, you can do so much with with.
Speaker 5: Uh c g I okay, let me ask you. You'll be funny. Who's playing you and your biopic?
Speaker 2: H I'm going Brad Pitt for you. George Clooney, Look, you.
Speaker 3: Take your time. We already know who. I already know that George Lopez is.
Speaker 2: But I'm not. No, you know what, I know, that's not my That's not my choice for me. I'm going Andy Garcia for me. He's hotter, he's a good look. He's a good look.
Speaker 3: But but but that's a stretch.
Speaker 2: He doesn't have as much hair as I do either. He's got he's got the receding hairline. But Andy Garcia would be mine, my choice to play me. I never thought about it, Honestly.
Speaker 3: I don't even know who. I'm looking at you, and I'm not sure who.
Speaker 2: George Thumps could do you too? No, hell, who you got know?
Speaker 3: Come on, I would just make you laugh. I just want to make you laugh. No, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Uh uh uh.
Speaker 5: There're some guys that say I can't remember names. Now, I don't know Antonio Sobato Jr. Come on, Michael Keaton, Michael Keaton. No, the guy that people say I kind of like is uh, who's the he was in rehab? Uh he's at not at man, but he's one of those figures.
Speaker 2: Michael.
Speaker 3: No, No, forget his name. God, he's uh.
Speaker 2: He was in you mean a movie called rehab? Or he was in rehab?
Speaker 5: Sure, yeah, he got out of it and then he's fine. Now, uh, he does the the powerful movies, the animated movies, not animated, but he does Avengers and all those not God, I can't remember his name.
Speaker 2: Oh here, we got a call.
Speaker 3: We gotta call.
Speaker 2: All right, let's take this the aar and I on the ball.
Speaker 13: I was thinking, you got to do teaching.
Speaker 3: Even better. That's a good one. Yeah, that's a good one.
Speaker 5: We come up in our Silverado or what did they drive? Sixty four Camino.
Speaker 2: Or what sixty it was a sixty four Impala.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good one. That's a good one.
Speaker 4: Call it for Nico.
Speaker 3: Don't be smoking any dube. All right, thanks for the call. I'll come up with it.
Speaker 2: Come up with it. How about that somebody like the dude there's a go to now he's I'm thinking of the guy. Did you see the movie No Country for Old Man? H Tavier Bardem God, I don't know, yeah, or or the other guy? Uh, Benicio del Toro? Is that the guy here? Thinking?
Speaker 3: That's one of the guys that people have said.
Speaker 2: He's a Have you seen that movie Cicario. He's a badass. I know, I have a swit Cicario. It's about it's about yeah, drug trafficking in federal. How he's federal?
Speaker 3: How long?
Speaker 2: That was probably ten years old?
Speaker 3: Is that better than the one you recommended with Denzel?
Speaker 2: Because I know the one with Denzel the Equalizer, No, Man on Fire, Man on Fire.
Speaker 3: I didn't like that one. I didn't you see it? Yeah, because you and our kid what's his name?
Speaker 12: O kid?
Speaker 2: Bobby Bobby said, you guys got to see it. I watched it because I love Training Day. I love Yeah.
Speaker 5: I didn't think it as good as Training Day, but I love it. I loved him Denzel and the other one, the equalized Equalizer. Yeah, although he's kind of old now, it's tough for him to be the equalizer.
Speaker 2: Man on Fire, Come on, man, I didn't like. I just loved the way he killed the guys in that whole movie. That was just that he was very creative.
Speaker 3: Denzil's good.
Speaker 2: He was very creative. That was that was.
Speaker 3: But he wasn't better than then. Didn't.
Speaker 2: I could watch an Oscar training Day, I could watch Trading. I've seen that once and I guess it made me uncomfortable. I guess I did.
Speaker 3: Do you know why you have cops? Is exactly brothers, brothers. And let me say this. I'll say that you you kind of say there was some truth to some of that story.
Speaker 2: Of course there and that's they didn't make that up.
Speaker 5: No, and that's what you know, stuff like that almost said she But stuff like that happens. Yeah, just behind the scene.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, of course, yeah, no, I'm not I'm not debating that, you know. I mean, we don't want to go no, no, don't you the weeds on that. But yeah, I'll give you beneath you del.
Speaker 3: Toro and you see that there was another guy and I'll come to be Yeah, okay, cool.
Speaker 2: Good stuff. I love that. Or you could go John Leguizamo. No, no, no, no, come on man, no, oh I know here's one Danny Trejo.
Speaker 5: Oh, I'll have the my tattoo of Selma. But you know what would have droopy? I if she's put my front for obvious reasons?
Speaker 2: Well you know, uh, that was Vic, right, It was a Vic who called a minute ago.
Speaker 3: No, no, that was maybe j R.
Speaker 2: Sas Riders anyways who said cheach and talk. My brother was cheach was cheach money when he was when he was the undercovered police officer. He had you know, he had this long hair and the bushy mustache and it was like he was yeah, it was it was interesting.
Speaker 3: You had two.
Speaker 2: Attorney Yeah.
Speaker 5: In fact that I was with somebody lost night who's an attorney, and he said, who's your partner? I said, Jay said, you know him, he's ricks. Oh he's yeah, the attorney. Yeah so you knows sure your brother?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, money and he's he has an age. Well though he's a but no, that's fun that's funny.
Speaker 3: And no, he's a good looking doude.
Speaker 2: He's kind of aged now a little bit, yeah, a little bit. I mean, but you know he was in those those Oceans eleven Oceans thirteen movies. We was a uh Vegas hotel, Hotel.
Speaker 3: Mogul Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, no, that was yeah good.
Speaker 2: Good stab was that was the height of his stuff, really good, right woman, and started the Untouchables if you remember that one, Yeah, that one was Sean Connery.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: So I've got a listener, a friend listener. Uh you know what we need prevagen, prevagen, the memory drug, because we don't stuff. He's right, I mean, come on, I'm trying to think that Steep.
Speaker 2: I think we're a little charming with our forgetfulness. I think it's it's it's a part of our charm of our because yeah, you're right, because the people live to us, you know, I have the problems. They're texting us and they're giving us what we need. So it's not like they're listening, and it's getting them to listen, and they they watch out for us and pay attention so that we don't screw things up like that.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, we have our fact checkers. That's good of them. You think about Robert Downing, that's it that yeah, because of his goate.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, yeah, that's been mentioned a few times too, because of the because of the kind of like the stupid humor and the supplefac stuff and yeah, and then he has his hair kind of how I have my eyes, used to have my hair when you had hair, when I had here in my mullet, mullet.
Speaker 2: Okay, I still don't have anybody.
Speaker 3: I just okay, just yeah, yeah. That was who was his He was character in some kind of man. That's it. I was trying to google someone characters.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to come up with somebody for you, uh, Ryan, And.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't see it either. I don't see you don't.
Speaker 2: I don't have anybody, man, I don't. I don't have anybody. I mean, you're not Ryan Gosling. Who's the dude? They're not Ryan.
Speaker 3: Who's who's the dude in the Jackass? The dude, the main guy?
Speaker 2: Johnny Johnny, Johnny Knoxville.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 2: All right, Okay, we're in that neighborhood, yeah, Johnny, any other things? No, no, yeah, I'm sorry. I'm sorry. Ryan. The guys I'm looking at here are just way too good looking. I'm just telling you. I googled white actors. Come up with a bunch of guys, Jake Dyllon Hall, Jake Dylan Hall.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, a little bit, well you would get all the ladies a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little bit.
Speaker 3: I'll go there.
Speaker 2: Okay, wait a minute, Okay, I googled white actors. All right, Will Smith showed up.
Speaker 3: You broke, you broke in the internet.
Speaker 2: Come on, man, God, I like, yeah, we'll go with Jake Jill, of course you will. Or maybe Kanu Reeves.
Speaker 3: What do you think, Keanu Reeves Reeves?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, yeah, we need some facial hair, some long hair hair, yeah, longer hair, maybe some facial hair, gain them a few pounds. Jan has been a bit bushy for a while now. Yes, so there you go. Mark Ruffalo, which one is Mark Bruffalo? He was he played the Hulk in the Avenger. He's been with some others. You're going to Kna okay. I love Kian. He seems a really good guy, seem on talk shows and.
Speaker 3: Stuff, and he seems to his voice is really tempered to you.
Speaker 2: All right, Andy Garcia, Uh, I think we're going with Benicio for you, right, and then we're gonna go We're gonna go, uh what did we just say?
Speaker 3: Brodigen baby.
Speaker 5: Big oh Ken Keanu reeves with that, with that, sorry that we ended the show this way. Tomorrow we're gonna have uh Eric Rogers Rogers, and we thought was that then we're gonna either have Jake or somebody else coming in tomorrow. So we'll finish the week that way, all right, see you tomorrow