Speaker 1: Let's say good morning now to ABC's Jim Ryan. Morning.
Speaker 2: Jim, Hey, so summer.
Speaker 1: I know, right, I had a sneaking suspicion about this, but clicking unsubscribe is actually a bad thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's kind of like answering the phone. If you get a number from an unknown get a call from an number it First of all, it tells the person or the potential scammer or somebody that you do have an active phone number. Same with unsubscribe. Unfortunately, in some cases now, very often, if you click unsubscribe, the advertiser or the email sender, whoever it is that's sending you this, the newsletter gets the idea and they take you off their list. Great, it works perfectly, but in a few cases, according to a company called DNS Filter, that's not the case. In one in six hundred and forty four cases they looked at click here to unsubscribe, it links you to potentially malicious websites. Right, so you land yourself on some scammer website and somewhere in the between is sort of the annoyance. I guess if you click unsubscribe, they may take you off that list, but it does tell them that you have an active email address, and they they're sending something to the right place, so it just got to be careful about that.
Speaker 1: So it's that they're they're sending out millions of pings around the world and if you ping back, they go, aha, you're real okay, but exactly so you said. For some sites like I've I've had like Sephora, for example, and after a while, I'm like, you know what, I don't want to get their emails because there I get too many of them or something. I'm not saying Sephora does that, but just as an example, so if I click unsubscribed from their email, they already know that I'm real, well they do.
Speaker 2: And I suspected, you know, a big name company like Sephora will say, fine, we're going to take you out the list and you won't get our emails anymore, and they'll they'll be sincere about it. I don't think there's any real obligation on their part to honor your unsubscribed request because I know I've clicked on subscribed and I get another email from that same place the next day. There's an example. Yeah, I made the mistake a few months ago getting an oil change right they said, okay, can we email you your receipt? And I said fine, and then I gave my email address. Well, I get an email from them about every twenty minutes. Maybe it seems they're pushing more time for a state inspection. Well I got one this morning. Now, this is in Gmail, and Gmail is a good example because so many people use it. Out to the right of that email within the email list, it says, unsubscribe, that's Gmail talking. That's not the oil change place, that's Gmail. Click that and Gmail then will take care of it. They will unsubscribe you or send the future emails from this outfit to the spam file or the junk file. So that's one way to do it, rely on your email provider instead of going in and doing it yourself. It takes another step, I guess, but it's just as easy as and maybe more reliable than unsubscribing within the email.
Speaker 1: There's also I was working with a group called Incogni and they go through and they get you off the lists. And I think that the amount of spam emails that I got did go.
Speaker 2: Down, oh, but didn't stop altogether.
Speaker 1: It didn't stop it. Yeah, so right, so kind of I wonder, and I wonder too if what happens like what you just said happens where they reach out and say, you know what, get her off of this list, and then they go aha, but she is a real person, and so then even though I might get off that list, I get onto more.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's the thing. And so you can also unsubscribe by doing the taking this sexual step. You can unsubscribe from that particular ipn you know that that IP address, right, If you get off that IP address, then if they are sending you emails from different entities, you should be able to stop all of them from that particular iPad.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, good luck, because it sounds like they're trying to rip you off. It just sounds like we're stuck with it.
Speaker 2: I think I need an oil change again.
Speaker 1: Well, you're going to get a coupon in about twenty minutes, I would imagine. ABC's Jim Ryan. Thank you so much. Have a wonderful weekend. We'll talk to you soon, see Amy. All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Iran's foreign minister is said to be on his way to Geneva for the first face to face negotiations he's had since the Israeli airstrikes began a week ago. He is scheduled to meet with European diplomats today. The Washington based group Human Rights Activists says a week of Israeli strikes on Iran have killed at least six hundred and fifty seven people and wounded more than two thousand others. Iran has also fired hundreds of missiles at Israel, killing at least two dozen. Hurricane Eric has reportedly caused landslides, flooding, blocked highways, and downed power lines in Mexico. At least one death has been confirmed. Official say the one year old boy drown in a swollen river. Hurricane Eric made landfall is a Category three storm in Wahaka yesterday. Singer and songwriter Lou Christie has died at the age of eighty two.
Speaker 3: Lou Christie had a number one hit in nineteen sixty six with lightning Strikes. He died earlier this week at his Pittsburgh home. His distinctive falsetto voice took other songs including Rhapsody in the Rain and I'm Going to Make You Mind the spots on the Billboard charts. He also toured with then up and coming Diana Ross and other rising stars in the nineteen sixties and decades later with Fabian and Frankie Avalon. No cause of death was given. Mark Cronner, KFI News.
Speaker 2: Yes, last night.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm just gonna let this play for a little while. This is happy first day of summer music, isn't it? It has nothing. This story has nothing to do with that. Though popular K pop group BTS has completed South Korea's mandatory military service, the rapper Sugar is the last one slated to join his bandmates after fulfilling his duty as a social service agent. The six other members served in the army. BTS is expected to reunite later this year, to the delight of thousands of screaming fans. The k pop group routinely breaks records and is credited for putting the South Korean musical style on the global stage. Hey, the Dodgers close out their four game series against San Diego with a five to three loss and a bench clearing during the Padres game. But tonight it's another night, and you know what normally Fridays or fireworks nights, but tonight they're doing a drone show at Dodger Stadium. That's gonna be cool, all right. If you're not going to the game, you can listen to the game. The Dodgers are taking on the Nationals at Dodgers Stadium. First pitch goes out at seven. You can listen to all the games all season long on AM five to seventy LA Sports and stream all the games on the iHeartRadio app Keyword AM five to seventy LA Sports. Asahi super Dry discover Japan's number one selling beer at your favorite bar or grocer. When we come back, President Trump says he will decide by July third whether the US is going to get involved in the Israel Iran conflict. ABC's Karen Travers is going to join us to tell us whether diplomacy can win out on this one. From the Southern California Toyota Dealers Traffic Center, Save more at the pump with Today's or Toyotas full lineup of fuel efficient vehicles. Let's see if you can have an efficient drive on the ten this morning.
Speaker 4: Not so much the westbound side. Right there at Atiwanda, getting out of Fontana, headed towards Ontario. That's an overturned vehicle in the right lane. You're going to be on the breaks back from cherry If also got some problems headed down the five Vista del Lago. Crash there on the right shoulder, getting some attention, a lot of attention actually, c HP and fire units on the scene. A couple of problem for the six O five southbound at the four oh five. Car went over the side there. They're trying to retrieve that, bring that up back up on the roadway.
Speaker 3: Also