Speaker 1: The right quist.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Playoff Baseball is back, and with it an annual postseason tradition.
Speaker 1: Scam is back. Baby.
Speaker 2: This is sax and Cakes in the a app BA Go with Proway. Dodger legend Steve Sacks is joined by your favorite Dodger pregame host, Tim Kates. If you want to talk Dodgers, get in on the show on eighty six six nine eighty seven two five seven now. While the Dan Patrick Show streams on the Ihearts radio app. We've been banished to the Internet until this Dodgers playoff run concludes. Here they are broadcasting live on AM five to seven e LA Sports. It's Tim Kates and Steve Sacks.
Speaker 1: No lead up to the World Series begins.
Speaker 3: Scam is on the air on this Tuesday morning, October twenty second. Sacks Kates in the am here on AMPI seventy LA Sports. Thanks for being with us on this Tuesday morning, Tim Kates joined by a two time World Series champion, Rookie of the Year and arguably the best number three oh ever for your Los Angeles Dodgers, Steve Sacks.
Speaker 1: Saxey. Good morning morning, Tim. What's up buddy?
Speaker 3: The in between the NLCS and the World Series is officially begun as both teams enjoyed a day off yesterday. We'll hear from Aaron Boone Dodgers or Yankees manager excuse me, in just a couple of minutes. He did address the media yesterday his initial thoughts on this World Series matchup. He announced his Game one starter, no surprise, Garrett Cole. So we'll hear from Aaron Boone in just a couple of minutes. Later on today, the Dodgers will get some workouts in, some treatment, some lifts, and then they'll have some media availability for Max Monthsey, Freddie Freeman, and Dave Roberts. That is later on this afternoon. So hear from those guys tomorrow as we lead you up to Game one of the twenty twenty four World Series, which is Friday night out of Dodgers Stadium five eight, first pitch right here on AMPI seventy LA Sports. As the Dodgers and Yankees, we'll have a workout tomorrow and then Media Day, I believe is on Thursday. And if I say ask you yesterday, do you remember Media Day? So I went and looked it up. You guys clenched the NLCS on a Wednesday, the twelfth of October, and then you guys played Game one against the Oakland A's in nineteen eighty eight on Saturday, October fifteenth, So you only had two days in between the NLCS and the World Series. Do you remember those couple of days off in between the CS and the World Series?
Speaker 1: Not really, It's it was all kind of a blur, But I know it was quick because we never thought about going into November. You know, this was something that was you know, you just went from one to the other, and here we have, you know, the five days off. So it's quite different, and it's it's more media based. I think now you can say there's so much more of an emphasis on that. I think back when when we were playing then it was more of a you know, you get the media in when you can, but everything else takes precedence. But now it's not that way. They really serve it up for the media, and you know, the fans get the maximum amount of coverage. For sure.
Speaker 3: I think they've kind of borrowed a page out of the NFL and good for baseball, trying to mimic what the NFL has done. Right, the NFL has a lead up to its Super Bowl and albeit it's a week and they do all the fans stuff on site in the host city, and they do all the media availabilities leading it up after practices, but they also do that big media day that Monday night of Super Bowl week, where it's now turned into a whole event where media across the globe asked ridiculous questions and you know, if you were to pick in and Out versus five guys, which one would you pick? And they ask all the players stuff like that. That's a lot of fun for the fans to hear, you know, who, what's your favorite tailor, swift song? All that kind of stuff. But I don't know that it's not hasn't gotten to that point yet. But Media Day for the World Series it's gonna be like All Star Media Day, I believe, where all the players will have stations and the media is gonna be there. And I think this year more than any and we know this, this is gonna be the most media we've ever seen cover a World Series just because of the Otani effect.
Speaker 1: Sure, I mean, he's a rock star, you know, he's a he's a pop culture figure. Now not just a sports star and so every I'm sure everywhere he goes. I mean, I wonder what it's like for him in La now and he tries to go somewhere, I mean, hey, how about going down to get a five guys or in and out? I mean, can he do that? You know? Does he put the glasses on and you know it, puts his hat on and tries to hide. Nope, six foot five year you're gonna be seeing whe everywhere you go. So he probably can't do any of that. But I do remember those stations, going station to station and you know asking question. Everybody's got cameras too, so it's, uh, it's quite a time. But you know, good for these guys, and they're gonna be you know, spending the maximum amount of time. When you think about all the travel that they're going to be doing too, It's not like going you know, La to Texas. I mean that's an easy one. You're gonna go all the way across the country. But you know what, that's what's gonna build up the uh, you know, all the the intensity and all the excitement's gonna be just it's gonna be amazing in these days in between.
Speaker 3: It's interesting you bring that up, because right away I thought advantage Dodgers in this world series for the travel and that factors in saxy, as you know, going back and forth from the East coast to the West coast. The Dodgers in this previous series against the Mets have already had to do that, and I've already had to come back for one game after blowing the chance to win Game five of the NLCS and close out the Mets last Friday. They know what it's like to get on a plane set for five hours in your misery of we didn't get it done, and now forty eight hours later we got to get ready for a game. So I guess my initial dots aren't Initially this is gonna help the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so. Any any little slight advantage you can muster up, you know you got you gotta take that, even if it's a even if you just have to talk your way into one and say, yeah, it's a big advantage for us, and really maybe not so much, but if you can talk your way into it mentally, yeah, it's good for you.
Speaker 3: I look at both of these franchises, it's the Dodgers and Yankees, and so this moment, this stage, I don't think it rattles them. I mean, individually, players on the Dodgers have been through this, They've been to World Series, They've been on the biggest stage trying to get to the World Series. For the most part, guys have done it for the last three years, five years, ten years for Clayton Kershaw, who's been around the longest. The Yankee players, this is the first time a lot of them are ever going to be on this stage in the World Series. And I wonder what it's like for them under the bright lights in New York. Certainly the media there is one thing, but now you get to this big stage. How it affects this New York Yankees team having all eyes around the globe on them, watching every pitch, every bad, every inning.
Speaker 1: Now, Yeah, and you know what the press is like back there in New York. I mean they just really dig in there.
Speaker 3: You know, they come up with anyth How did you deal with them when you played for the Yankees?
Speaker 1: You know what, I didn't have a problem at all. You know when I signed them. They always have the press conference and then you know, to kind of introduce you to the city, whatnot. And I remember I just answered every question and at the end of my uh, at the end of my conference, I said, look, you know, coming over here from LA I had no problem with the press over there, and I just wanted you all to know as well that I'll always be at my locker. I'll always answer your questions. I know you have a job to do and I do too. So if if that can be you know, put right there like that, we can leave it at that, that's great. But if I know any of you guys are going to come out and try to really rip me or put on a story that's not true or something like that, and I get the game winning hit in the seventh game of the World Series, I'm not talking to you. Wow. So yeah, that's what I set that bar right away, right away and the first time. And I never had a problem with anybody, not one time.
Speaker 3: Did anybody try to dig where there times were oh sure when you were not playing well that they just write were they want to pile on you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course. I mean, you know there's maybe there's a say, there's a pop fly down the line and you're going for it, and you know nobody catches it. It's just a hard one to get, you know. After the game, they'd say, hey, you know, I talked to Jesse Barfield, the right fielder, and maddeningly they've all said that you should have had that. Really, I'm like, okay, yeah, you're right, I should have had it. And that's how I diffuse that. Yeah, I kind of blew that one. See the players know, and most of the time you rarely see a player not own it. I mean they always own it because they know that's a smart thing to do. This game is so hard to play. You're not going to go throughout your career and not screw it up because you're going to everybody is this game will humble you. I guarantee it. I ask Tanner, is that aning Biby the pitcher for the for the Guardians? Yeah? Yeah, who was smirking and then and then John Carlo took him deep? Yeah? Or yeah it was John carl You're not supposed to smirk at a guy because you think you got everything figured out because he's about the thump you and that's what and he did it twice, you know, so you know that's what happens in the game. So if you just own it and say yeah, you know that was me, and it just kind of silences everything.
Speaker 3: I cannot wait for this matchup Yankees Dodgers. The star power alone is something we've never seen before.
Speaker 1: The hook, it's unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Then you throw in the Otawni factor and it takes it to the even biggest level. And then you take it as Dodgers versus Yankees, and the history of this rivalry going back to the forties, the fifties, the inability of the Dodgers to finally win, and then the seventies battles winning an eighty one. I mean, there are so many storylines for this World Series. It is unbelievable. You don't even have to manufacture any of these storylines, which is great for baseball. You just got to roll out these two teams and say here, public America world enjoy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, and this is gonna be some of our own storylines are going to be defined in this twenty twenty four World Series. You can bet you know as it goes on, there'll be you know, injuries that happened. I mean, they're gonna be keeping a close watch, certain on Anthony Rizzo and what's going on with two broken fingers that he's playing with in his right hand. They're gonna be talking about the depth of the Dodgers' pitching staff. Can they Can they get it together and have those guys be great and have the bullpen do the other one? I don't know, you know. So there's gonna be lots of different things that happen that we don't even know about yet. That's gonna come about and that's what makes it great.
Speaker 3: Well, we got a big show today coming up. Next hour, Alana Rizzo from MLB Network High Heat will join us. She joined us in a DS she'll talk about this series, also get her perspective nationally since she's based now in New York. She works with the Mad Dog on High Heat. She covered the Dodgers for so many years for sports and at LA. What this series looks like in a broader perspective. Dodgers and Yankees. At seven o'clock, Brendan Cuddy, he covers the Yankees for the Athletics, gonna join us. He's actually gonna be on his way to Yankee Stadium. Is they've got a workout and media availability for the Yankees. At about eleven o'clock, eastern eight o'clock Pacific before they head out to Los Angeles in the final hour of the show, looking forward to having Jerry Royce on the show. Longtime Big leaguer Dodger was the game one starter in the night nineteen eighty one World Series matchup between the Dodgers and Yankees out of Yankee Stadium. In fact, coming up at the bottom of the hour, it's gonna be a lot of fun. YouTube's a great place and an awful place, Saxey. It's awful because the kids that spend all their time on YouTube today. But it is good for some things. And in this instance, it is great because we can go back into the archives of the nineteen eighty one World Series and watch every single game. So we'll go back to Game one of the nineteen eighty one World Series, gets you some of the highlights from that game that's coming up at the bottom of the hour, and your phone calls at eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy, I know a lot of you out there getting up heading to work, heading to the yard, or shout out to our guys at the Glendale Water and Power all the linemen getting up there, getting ready to get working today. All the guys at the docks, everybody getting up, getting ready for another exciting Tuesday. Here Insude of California. We are live at Local until nine o'clock this morning. We appreciate you being with us. We're brought to you by Chef Burrito Seasoning, the official seasoning partner of the Dodgers. It's playoff time. Bring out the chef in you. Before we hear from Aaron Boone, we get to your phone calls to the bottom of the hour. We got a big announcement to make here, Saxy, and it's a station wide announcement. Tickets to the World Series are a hard thing to get right now. Sure, face value priced out a lot of people. The average fan can't afford a World Series ticket just on face value alone. Then you throw in the Yankees coming to town for Games one and two, and the secondary market for these tickets is now off the charts. I mean we're talking record levels right now. For a single ticket to get into Game one Friday night at Dodger Stadium is the highest views ever seen. It's like thirteen hundred dollars right now just for one ticket in the upper deck at Dodger Stadium. That's the get in price right now on the secondary market. It is unbelievable. The buzz right now, yeh, the for the and the demand for tickets. I'm guessing Saxy, you've gotten somebody or buddies or a lot of people have said, hey, tax can you give me some tickets?
Speaker 1: Hang on a second, Hang on, I'm going through my my text messages right now. There's like I can flip, you can just go right right down the line. I can only imagine, Hey, and I know what's coming. I just I know it's coming. And it's like, you know, uh, this is a really I know, this is a really special time. And you probably hear this a lot. You know what I could I could braille read it with my fingers and I can tell you what's coming up next. But I know this maybe a little bit, you know, kind of far fetched. But uh, is there any chance you can like, you know, get my get my family in for my family?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You know it's a crazy thing too. Here's a crazy thing is people think that like I have this connection lifel like lifelong connection with all the teams because I was a major League baseball player, that I could just you know, snap my fingers and yeah, you know, can you can you get me? How about four? You know for you know, is there anything behind like maybe the loads section? Oh my gosh, are you kidding? I mean I can't even go. You know what are you talking about? Yeah? They this one guy when I had when I saw the family wanted to go, I was like, are you kidding? I didn't even answer it. It's just absurd. I mean, the text that starts, Hey, how's it going? No, hope you're talking in a while? Yeah, hope, you're well, haven't spoken? Well? Hey? Game one? Any chances you got an extra ticket? Hey?
Speaker 3: Can you get him at a discount? That's the old that's the nice one, right, the can you get him at a discount?
Speaker 1: Hope? But you're gonna say no, no, no, don't pay for it. I'll buy it for you. Yeah, exactly. And so listen here here's the thing that fans have to know. When when I was playing, I would get twenty thirty, thirty five, forty tickets what sometimes because you could just write them down. There was no there was no law on this, and I would have people, can you give me? Can you give me five? Can you give me eight. Sure, yeah, And I was sitting there writing, writing them down. Finally, after I don't know what is year, my third or fourth year in the big leagues, they said, no, you can't do that no more. And everybody was doing it, you know this, and I can't do that no more. So you get six tickets. Now, you get two here, and you get four there. And you know what it is like now, the the the players do get I think two tickets for the family and a couple other ones for you know, for the rest of the family, if you will. But you get two really good ones and you have to buy the rest of them. So all the fans that think that, hey, you know, you played baseball, so can you get me a ticket even during the season, even if you're a player, Even if you're a player, you still have to pay those tickets. So nothing is free anymore. You don't get anything for free. And and I know, and you know, here's another thing, here's another one I got. No I don't have and I can't get a show. Hey, o Tawani Warren World Series jersey for you. No, no, no, I got that one. I got down when a couple of days ago. No, I can't get it.
Speaker 3: Can you get an autographed baseball for me? Then, Timmy, come on, you know, I think I didn't realize that what you're talking about until watching the Super Bowl documentary last week. It was like a behind the scenes on HBO or something about the Super Bowl, and they talked about how the players get like two tickets to the Super Bowl, but they need more than that, and so they're able to get them from the NFL or their respective teams, but they have to buy them, and they have to buy them at the same price. Everybody else has got to buy them. They're not free, No, they're not free. And so anyway, I think maybe everybody knows now. When I saw the jersey one for I was like, you gotta be there. I cannot believe somebody asked you for family tickets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you have four or five? I mean, come on, seriously, I mean, and that that's just not gonna happen.
Speaker 3: It's not a Sunday in June against the Cincinnati Reds, folks. It's Game one of the World Series, right, I mean, with that being said, the tickets are hard to get.
Speaker 1: We get it.
Speaker 3: They're pricey for everybody out there. So here at seventy LA Sports, we're giving you the chance to win tickets to Game one and Game two of the World Series. Here's how you win them. Tomorrow you got to join Rogan and Rodney in Hollywood Park Casino from noon until three. That's Wednesday Tomorrow. Rogan and Rodney will be at a Hollywood Park from noon to three.
Speaker 1: Then on Thursday join.
Speaker 3: Them at Bjay's Restaurant in brew House in Rancho Cucamonga. So Wednesday Hollywood Park noon to three. Thursday Bjay's Restaurant in brew House and Rancho Cucamonga from noon to three. You have to be in person sign up to qualify the win for the tickets, and then guess what, Thursday and Friday morning, right here on Saxon Kate's in the Am, we'll announce the winners. So you have to be in person and sign up with Rogan and Rodney, and the next morning find out if you're the winner by listening to Saxon Kates at the AM.
Speaker 1: That's all you gotta do.
Speaker 3: It's free to sign up, but you have to do it in person at Hollywood Park either tomorrow with Rogan and Rodney or on Thursday, at Bjay's Restaurant in brew House and Ranch of Cuckamoga. Again, it's free. You got to do it in person. Sign up with the station on site with Rogan and Rodney, and then we'll announce the winner. The next morning, Thursday will announce the Game one winner tickets, and on Friday morning we will announce the Game two ticket winner. So there you go, AM five to seventy LA Sports is sending you to Game one or Game two of the World Series.
Speaker 1: Now, how did AM five to seventy get these? Because look, you know what, people are asked all the time, but there aren't any available. When you get to a certain point, there aren't any. You can't even go if you have the money right because they're not available.
Speaker 3: There there's fifty six thousand tickets available. They've all been sold, and now we've got a pair for game one. We got a pair for Game two. Thank goodness for that high credit limit on that credit card here at the station. Apparently, so they're able to get some tickets somehow, some way, we got them for you. Again, Rogan and Rodney, you got to sign up with them at Hollywood Park. Tomorrow we'll announce the winner for Game one on Thursday, and Thenursday afternoon join him at BJ's Restaurant, a brew House and Rancho Cucamonga and we will announce the winner for Game two tickets on Friday.
Speaker 1: It's easy.
Speaker 3: There's more details at A five seventy LA sports dot com.
Speaker 1: You don't sign up online. Don't sign up online, you have to sign up in person. Can you give me a show? Hey, tany jersey?
Speaker 3: I'll get you a jersey and it may be my autograph on there, but it ain't gonna be Joys.
Speaker 1: No. He is Steve Sax, I'm Tim Kates. Thanks for being with us.
Speaker 3: Got a couple of phone lines open if you want to jump on board. A busy seven o'clock hour. Jerry Royce joins us in the eight o'clock hour. When we come back, your phone calls and we go to a nineteen eighty one Game one flashback. You are not gonna want to miss this. It is gonna be fantastic and it's all coming up right here on Sax and Kate Today am on your home with the Dodgers an FI seventy light Sports. Saxon Kate to the AMI seventy LA Sports. Thanks for being with us on this Tuesday morning, Game one of the World Series coming up on Friday. Made the announcement you can win tickets to Game one by joining Rogan and Rodney in Hollywood Park Casino from noon to three tomorrow and signing up. We'll make the announcement who wins on Thursday morning. We'll win get tickets to Game two by joining Rogan and Rodney at BJ's Restaurant in brew House in Rancho Cucamonga on Thursday. We'll announce the winner for Game two coming up on Friday. We're the only station in LA giving away tickets to the World Series. Of course, we are your home of the Dodgers. AM five seventy LA Sports. Your phone calls coming up, Saxy. We'll get to Brendan Cuddy in a lot of rizzo next hour talking about this series. Jerry Royce will join us in the eight o'clock hour and speaking to Jerry Royce. He was the Game one starter of the nineteen eighty one World Series. Dodgers and Yankees and Sexy. Let's get a little flashback. You were part of that team in nineteen eighty one. We go back to nineteen eighty one Yankee Stadium. It was October twentieth, nineteen eighty one Dodgers taking on the Yankees.
Speaker 4: ABC Sports resents the nineteen eighty one World Series from the Yankee Stadium in New York. The Dodgers and the Yankees. Last Thursday, the Yankees claimed their thirty third American League Championship with a three game suite over the Western Division champion Oakland Days. The Los Angeles Dodgers had to go five games with Montreal before they could claim their seventeenth National League Championship. It came with a ninth inning home run, the Dodgers winning two to one, and tonight the Yankees and Dodgers meeting in Game one the nineteen eighty one World Series.
Speaker 3: It was fifty five degrees a Yankee Stadium in the Bronx at night, October twenty, had, nineteen eighty one.
Speaker 1: What was going through your mind? Hotly, it's about Burner.
Speaker 3: It's right, Keith Jackson on the call along with the great, the Great Howard Cosell also on the call for ABC, as well as Jim Palmer, who you'll heard coming up in just a little bit. But Game one of the nineteen eighty one World Series. What's going through your mind, your your stomach there in the the few minutes before first pitch.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm thinking, well, if I get into this game today, which I probably won't because I had that conversation with Tommy before we started the playoffs and world the World series anyway, but you know, got to be ready. And you know what I did get in the game. I got to pinch hit that's coming up. Okay, oh, that's coming up with that's coming up. But I think the best thing about it was I didn't know this, but I found out afterwards. But I had just gotten an agent. Jerry Capsen was my agent, and I didn't know that Jerry Capsen also represented Keith Jackson. So I got to meet Keith Jackson because the Larry connection. It was awesome to me because you know, I grew up listening to, you know, watching football and yeah, he jacked McCall the games. And it was so funny because I met him, you know, before the game in there and Jerry introduced me to him and said, hey, hello, Kitty, how about you. You know, I was like, my god, he's like that off the air too. That's awesome. Anyway, Yeah, but that was a fun thing and just being around that whole thing and being in Yankee Stadium, and god, I mean it was incredible. It was I was like I was like a fan too, about three years out of high school, you know, so I was just taking it all in.
Speaker 3: Do you remember who throughout the ceremonial first pitch for Game one of the nineteen eighty one World Series?
Speaker 1: Was it Grover Cleveland? Oh?
Speaker 5: Here it was one of the gross colors in the player of baseball, I mean.
Speaker 6: Son of Froda Aniverse room, Oh of.
Speaker 1: His five Ulus fifty six game heading the school.
Speaker 6: Loons are juggingham Ulcan.
Speaker 7: The great Yankee.
Speaker 8: Joe Joe Demaggio throws out the first pitch of Game one. What a great It's a great voice, Bob Shepherd head.
Speaker 4: But you become a living legend.
Speaker 1: Amazing.
Speaker 4: That's your preamble, Ladies and gentlemen, wherever I did to play baseball the Yavies and Dodgers Game one.
Speaker 1: Yeah we are. That's the preamble, Ki Jackson, That is amazing.
Speaker 3: Joe Demagio, little gray hair but still looks young, looks why got his autograph in the Yankee locker room one time on a baseball.
Speaker 1: Did you really rarely did that. But there's a couple of guys. I got Joe DiMaggio and it was amazing. I was like, do I go up to him? Do I bend a knee and JENU flector? I mean, what do I do?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: So did you?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 1: No, I almost did. I was going to, but you know, what's you know, it's like that when you meet Sandy Kofax. It's the same thing. They're like in the same kind of zone there. You I want to you know, you want to say, you want to kind of like bend your knee or you know, do the sign of the cross whatever. When you meet these guys, it's incredible. But he did sign a ball for me, and I was told he doesn't really do that, but he signed it for It was a couple of guys he did for and I was like, man, this is just amazing. I think I still have the ball too. Joe Demish and then I got two other guys. I remember, I was so fascinated to meet them. Another one was Willie Mays when I was in Candlestick Park one time in the locker room. And actually Willie McCovey, my two you know, childhood heroes. Yeah, got their autographs. Just incredible to get that to be in their presence. Oh my gosh. Some of the buddiest names ever. I mean Joe Demagio, Yeah, fifty six. You know another stat about Joe Demagio, three hundred and sixty one home runs, you know, three hundred and sixty nine career strikeouts. Wow, it that's it in his whole career. And plus plus he was married to Marilyn Monroe. That's right. So that's pretty cool to that is very cool.
Speaker 3: It was Jerry who will talk to you in the eight o'clock hour getting the start for the Dodgers. Ron Gidrey was on the mound for the New York Yankees, and it didn't go well for Jerry Royce, who in the first inning got into some trouble. A couple of runters on facing Bob Watson.
Speaker 4: Two out, I'm free at third and Finella at second. One two pitch, high five ball, hit well to watch out of fear one day, going back to the fench leap sen it's gone. So Jerry Royce just shot. He had the Bob Watson at one two He hit a five five ball at about three hundred and eighty eight.
Speaker 6: It was hit, Bob Knewitt was gone, and the pressure immediately.
Speaker 1: On the dunch. So there it goes. This is how would Cole sound give me his two cents? I was surprised if he was going to say, you seem a bit truculent. He said that to Muhammad Ali. That's right.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: He came back with what the hell is truck ylin Howards.
Speaker 3: So Royce gives up the three run home run to Bob Watson, just goes over the wall and wrights center field. Yankees lead three nothing in the first inning, and in the third inning, Loop Panella up facing Jerry Royce when a Yankees tacked.
Speaker 1: On one more.
Speaker 5: Surmising and watching what Royce has been doing though the first three innings. He's thrown a hanging curve ball for a single to center.
Speaker 1: A basketball for a long It's Jim Palmer. If you said be out of any football park, thank you.
Speaker 5: I can't believe he'd have too much companies and his stuff right at those moments.
Speaker 4: The picture comings from the Goodyear blamp America out of Houston, Texas with Captain Dongoli Dallas the pilot. My cameraman is Billiso.
Speaker 1: Pretty picture.
Speaker 4: Sharon Knight, Cow's won two banilla sharply to the left field, BA said, returns third. He's coming home and the Proco's into second years.
Speaker 6: We get thought over. You see them saying Lou Loo Loo, and here.
Speaker 5: You'll see a high ranking wall. It's I can hurt ball that if you're gonna throw it. You don't want to throw a belt high. He doesn't have a r hit the ball that hard, but it's a ball. I'm going to strikes on a good pitch for a hit or to hit.
Speaker 6: But as you noted earlier, such a professional hitter. He went to right when the pitch there, he went to left. He can go anywhere in the ballpark. Use the whole place.
Speaker 1: Use the whole place, the whole place. Loop Pvanella, Your cameraman is a bill of something. He puts the uh in there. Dude, Holy the cameraman's a bill of sutton.
Speaker 3: Lou Vanilla gets Jerry Royce there with an RBI sigal and the third at any and the Yankees were on top of the Dodgers Saxy four nothing through three innings. Finally, in the fourth, Bobby Castillo watched four batters in the inning, leading into a run Dave Winfield forced in the run gave him the Yankees a five to nothing lead. But Ron Gidrey was tough that night, so tough he only gave up one run. And that Dodger run that he gave up, Saxy came in the fifth inning from Steve Yeager.
Speaker 5: With the balls have been hit harder been caught tonight.
Speaker 4: Jeger hits it high in the air to the right side Vanella going back to the wall. That's gown home run the Jeger.
Speaker 6: So very quietly, Jega gets the Dodgers a run, and he continues with his exceptional postseason hitting.
Speaker 1: He's here at the Yankees before.
Speaker 4: Boy, you don't think that that guy isn't happy about that?
Speaker 3: Oh, Steve Yeager with the home runoff Ron Gidrey and hit up all the right field. He did right well, not down the line, but not straight away right field, sort of in between and it just got over the wall. And I think even surprised there Keith Jackson how much elevation it got because it was that cold night there at Yankee Stadium.
Speaker 1: Boomer didn't hit the ball the right field. He hit, He pulled everything even in batting practice. He had nothing to do with hitting the ball to the right at second base.
Speaker 3: He went oppo boppo there before the crowd can even settle in. After that Steve Jaeger home run that made it a five to one Yankees lead, Tomulu sorta goes to the bench.
Speaker 1: Who would come up?
Speaker 4: Here's Steve Sacks coming to the plate now, a young man who played second base for Los Angeles, threw much of the second half of the season, and he steps in as the hitter of the Hedgers. Wife that means Neaton Feuer is still in demand. Woman up and he'll be the next one poll gool of the Dodgers, number fifty two. This is a youngster. I guess that everybody around the Dodger organization figures is going to six see Davy Lopes in the second base. He's a dandy.
Speaker 6: I think that was the most silent home run I've I've heard in the world.
Speaker 1: Senteries nothing.
Speaker 4: Sax hits it high in the air to centerfield. Winn seems to grab it and hang it up if he makes the catch and the enning is over. Fuck to not just get on the board with Jagger's home run five one back with more after this worked from our local station.
Speaker 3: First pitch swinging Steve Sacks pitchitting there in the fifth.
Speaker 1: Inning, Sacks strike out. I just said, he just get in here and do what I get. Did you hear what he said? Though the wind held it up, that ball was gone. Come on, he's going out.
Speaker 3: It sounded good on contact. If you closed your eyes, you're like, wow, that ball's got distance.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 1: If I was smart, I would have grabbed a little TV time and you know, took a couple of pitches right. But no, I didn't want to strike out. That would have been humiliating. So I just saw I actually, I remember the pitch is a high fastball. I thought, I love, it's pretty good.
Speaker 3: But you know, to Novail, Ron Guidry was really good that night. He would just give up that one run through seven innings before turning it over to the bullpen. You guys were able to get to the bullpen with a couple of runs in the eighth inning, but the Yankees would win Game one of the nineteen eighty one World Series five to three. Ron Gidrey gets the win. Jerry Royce, who will talk to in the eight o'clock hour, got the loss, Goose Gossage came in and pitched an inning plus to get the save as the Yankees took a one to zero series lead. What was the feeling in that clubhouse after dropping game one? Coming off the high of winning the Montreal and the NLCS, so then coming back and losing game one and really Ron Guidry pitched well against you guys, he were seven innings. What was the mood in the clubhouse after that game?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 1: You know what we knew how explosive the Yankees were, and when you go down one, I mean, you know, I think the I don't know if they had splits back then when they really put it out there, and you know, the team that wins first and this is the percentages whatever, But we knew that getting of these guys wasn't good. But the fact that the team was able to come back and win four in a row to win the thing was it was amazing to me and just to watch those guys because I wasn't playing, but just to watch all these guys and how they went about it. What I think was great example that they set for guys like myself and needing fewer, and it was that they never changed demeanor, their expressions never changed. There was no panic in the dugout, even when they were down two to ozher and even when they tied it up it was two to two, and then we went on to win the next it was still the same. It was everything the same and no really big outbursts of expression until we won it, and then of course it was a different story. But you know, it was pretty much businesslike attitude the whole way.
Speaker 3: Now, I asked this in the nicest way because I'm watching the YouTube and I'm a young kid at the time, so I don't remember per se the game.
Speaker 1: So how you in eighty one tim two?
Speaker 3: Oh okay, Yeah, I was a young kid, but I was a Steve Sacks fan back at then, at the age of two, I probably had my jersey on.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: I'm watching this last night, and I watched the entire game and it's entire on YouTube, and I'm thinking to myself, like Loopanella comes up. I'm like, okay, all right, about the greatest of shape, uh loop Andell? All right, Bob Watson comes up, you know, towards the end of his career. I think at that point, well, chy, yeah, like what like this guy's a power hitter for the Yankees. Like, yeah, I mean, Saxy, you walk up there like an Adonis at the plate, this young, spry guy. And Rick Monday's up there all slender and tall, and I look at some of these older players that are playing this nineteen eighty one World Series and my first thought was, well, these guys are out of shape. What in the world, Saxy, Yeah, listen, they had an excuse to be out of shape.
Speaker 1: It was nineteen eighty one. I mean, we didn't have the sports medicine today. Now you tell me, okay, look at the look at the alcs. Okay, what is what is going on with fat nailor? Okay, yeah, dude is too sick at least, Well, he'd be perfect in nineteen all he's five to eleven. What's that he'd be perfect in nineteen eighty one. Yeah, I mean, his brother's in good shape. His brother's a catcher. He looked good. But Naylor looked like you just ate the double A team. I mean, seriously, that dude. That dude was chubby, right, Yeah, he's a big dude. I mean, come on, and you know the thing about it, he can hit that He was a pretty good hitter. I mean, I mean drop forty. Okay, that's where you should start. Drop forty. That should be his only thing in the offseason. Forget hitting, forget everything else. If you have to wire the jaw, whatever, you are a professional athlete, and can imagine how much better he'd be. I mean, try carrying around forty pounds of weights. I mean just walk around with them, you know, for you know, two hours. That's a lot. I mean, can imagine what he goes through every day. Drop forty and then get on the field. The guy's like chubb Arella. Come on, Really, he'd fit perfect in nineteen eighty one.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm surprised I don't see him playing for the Yankees, like playing first base or something. The other thing that caught my eyes, I know they throw harder now, or do they throw harder now? I think overall probably a little bit.
Speaker 1: But okay, this stuff where you know everybody throws one hundred, and if everybody throws a hundred, throws a hundred now, ninety nine percent of the guys to one hundred when we played too, it is not that different. I've been down there in the Pittson spring training I'm seeing I'm seeing no difference, but I think overall they probably throw a little harder.
Speaker 3: Eight six six, nine eighty seven two five seventy is our number. That was our nineteen eighty one Game one flashback the last time the Dodgers and Yankees played in the World Series, in the Fall Classic forty three years ago. Yankees won Game one five to three. Tomorrow, we'll go through Game two in Game three as we lead you up to Game one of the twenty twenty four World Series Dodgers Yankees, right here on your own home of the Dodgers, a FI seventy light Sports.
Speaker 1: Sax and Kates and the Am.
Speaker 3: It's scam here on a five seventy LA Sports on this Tuesday morning, brought to you apart by Chef Burrito season and the seasoning partner of the Dodgers. It's playoff time. Bring out the chef in you. Eight sixty six nine eighty seven to two five seventy is our number. Coming up next hour, Brandon Cuddy from The Athletic he covers the Yankees. He'll be joining us on his way to Yankee Stadium for a team workout. Alta Rizzo from MLB Network's High Heat we'll join us get a national perspective on this World Series matchup coming up in the eight o'clock hour. Jerry Royce, former Dodger left hander, we'll join us here on the show. Uh Tomorrow, we'll look at game two in Game three of the nineteen eighty one World Series, the last time the Dodgers and the Yankees met in the fall class. It's go out to the phone, sax Seed, John and Ontario's first up here on this Tuesday morning.
Speaker 1: John, Welcome to scam.
Speaker 7: Hey guys, how you doing today?
Speaker 1: Go ahead to John.
Speaker 7: Real real quick, just two quick points. I think Bueller needs to get two starts in the in the World Series. He's I think he's our age. I think he's pitched very well. I need him to be in a closeout game. I need to him to be either the Game six or Game seven starter. And what do you guys think about as far as a Yama starting two and then flirty three. I just want to get your take on that.
Speaker 1: Appreciate it.
Speaker 3: We'll find out here probably today from Dave Roberts who the Game one starter will be. But based on the way the schedule lays out with the off days only one in between the travel days there as you go back to New York for three, which are three games in a row. Yeah, I would think Yamamoto would get the Game one start because he needs that extra day's rest. He needs the extra five plus days in between starts, because that's just the way he is, as opposed to Walker Bueller, who doesn't need five days in between starts. But with that being said, there is an argument to be made that Game one set a tone big game pitcher he's pitched in a World Series before. Walker Buehler should go Game one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like the I like the Walker. Listen. I know Yamamoto's got to have his rest, no question about that. But I went Walker Bueler out there in the moment, Okay, when it's on the line, this guy embraces it. I mean, he looks forward to this. He's been big time in postseason before. Liked what he did in his most recent outing. I think you gotta have Walker out there as much as you can. Now, I mean, this is a this is a fluid situation, So we got to monitor the aches and pains part of it. You know, we got to monitor how they're you know, how they're pitching as well. But for the most part, as it stands right now, I love Walker Bieler in that moment.
Speaker 3: If you start Yamamoto in game one, he's got Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, it wouldn't have to pitch again until game six, so he'd have a week off in between starts. And the same case, if you start him in game two on Saturday and we'll save him for game seven potential down the line, he would have also a week off, so you could either start him in game one or game two. You have that luxury there with the two built in off days, the Sunday travel day to New York and the potential travel back from New York on Thursday before game six and seven. So with those off days built in, you could go one or two with them and go Walker the other one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you're gonna have They're both gonna be out there if it goes that far. So it doesn't, It would really really wouldn't matter to me. All I know is Walker Beeler is going to be in there, and I think that's what the Yankees are. The Dodgers are really hanging their hat on right now because they want to go with the trend. Okay, and you know Yamamota's been good too, But how much more can we stretch him out? I mean, you got to get more stretch and more stretch for him because you know, just taxing the bullpen and counting on them, how many times can you do it? This is arguably the most talented bullpen in baseball. But let's not tax them out too much. I gotta have those starters with some distance. Now, taxing at a bullpen in the World Series? Is that possible?
Speaker 3: Or you're talking about maybe just seeing the players seeing the hitters too many times in the course of a series, or is their actual fatigue over the course of seven games, because at this point you got to kind of health the other the adrenaline's just flowing through these gasts.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, you'd think that the fatigue wouldn't matter, but you know what, it's gonna wear on them some. There is no more after this. That's the one good thing about it. It's gonna give you another another little shot in the arm for that. But the fact, the familiarity part of it is the thing that I think that would would wear on them a bit. And it's better for the hitter, of course, the more that these guys are out there. So yeah, would you want to get into that bullpen and force them to get those guys out there and show their hand and see them as much as you possibly can. Yeah, no doubt about it. In the long run, that's going to help the hitters.
Speaker 3: Ricky and Torrens is next up here on Saxon Kate's and The AM on this Tuesday morning.
Speaker 1: Good morning, Ricky, Hey, good mornings.
Speaker 9: You got your okay, you got you good?
Speaker 1: Go ahead?
Speaker 9: Okay, great? Great, Yeah, guys, So ninety three, I was born right, so growing up, I grew up here. I played ball.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 9: It's actually it's funny. So twenty years ago, Tyrone Taylor and I played on the same team and we were on the Dodgers and so and he almost made the last out, you know, in Game six, and oh my god, I was just like, you know, of course I wanted the Dodgers, so I saw I'm a casual Dodger fan, you know, like now as an adult, you know, right, So like I was just holding there. Oh dude, I didn't want him to make the last out, you know, just because he's the hometown he's a hometown kid, and so that was the release. And then obviously I wanted the third out to happen, and then he was able to score. I'm like, oh gosh, it was kind of it was scary, right, So we didn't really know Game six how it was going to end. You know, this is that I hadn't really watched base I didn't watched the whole season in baseball since I was a child. So but the Dodgers being in the postseason, you know, I t tuned in, and I growing up, I never thought I would see the end. So you hear the stories here where I was born, I never heard, you know, I never was able to see the Dodgers and Yankees. And here we are, you know, thirty years later, and here it's happening. It's happening in front of them. So Saxy, were you on the eighty one squad? I was, you were okay, so you were able to so you were there. So there's a lot of guys like they've had their career, never got to they never got to experience, you know that, and like what's the similarities right now with that? Like and now like how it feels you know, all right.
Speaker 1: I can appreciate it, man, thanks for checking in. Yeah. So, Ricky, we're gonna call him mister casual, okay, because he's the casual man. What does that mean? Like he never was a fan before, he wasn't into it as much, but mister casual okay. But what is he asking about? Like, what was it like now? And then? I mean, yeah, it's it's there's no more than this. Yeah, this is this is all you and this is all there is.
Speaker 3: I think in nineteen eighty one you had, fresh in everybody's mind seventy seven seventy eight, the battles between the Dodgers and Yankees, and the Yankee winning those matchups. You had the the end of an era with the Dodger first basement or the infield. That excuse me, that was you know, soon be breaking up that we saw for a decade, guys at the end of their careers like Rick Monday, Steve Jaeger's kind of being phased out in this new crop of guys like you, Steve Sackson coming up and Mike Marshall coming up and the new era your er, this new group coming up. So it was it was it was the end of this rivalry for a long time, certainly, but also at the end of this Dodger era with that group of players.
Speaker 1: It's crazy how the Dodgers through time have been able to find all these crops of players. I mean, it's it's something to say about their scouting and their development, what they do in the organization, but always at the top of the top of the heap, as far as you know, getting all these crops of players, and it's all around pitching. That's what the you know, the great organizations do that they start with pitching and then they work it out from there. And that's what the Dodgers were able to do. Remember that's when Oral first came in. I remember when he first came to us. He was in Clinton, Iowa. I was in my second my first full season of minor league baseball, had just played in Lethbridge in the in the Rookie League. And here comes the Oral Hirscheiser on the on the squad right after school was out. And that's how we got started. I remember him with Clinton, Iowa. So yeah, been a long time, been a.
Speaker 3: Long time, but here we are, Dodgers Yankees back at it in the World Series beginning on Friday.
Speaker 1: Coming up.
Speaker 3: Next hour, we'll hear from Alana Rizzo. Jerry Royce will join us in the eight o'clock hour. Your phone calls as well at eight six, six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy Up next Britdan Cuddy covers the Yankees with The Athletic, will join us on his way to Yankee Stadium. The Yankees will have a workout today. Dodgers will have media availability today some light workouts as we're leading you up to Friday in Game one of the World Series. Steve Sacks, Tim Kaits and you on this Tuesday morning. Thanks for being with us on an FI seventy l A Sports