Speaker 1: So there is roughly nine and a half minutes left here in the second quarter of this Sugar Bowl match up between Notre Dame and Georgia. Georgia up three to nothing.
Speaker 2: Notre Dame.
Speaker 1: They are driving, in fact, they look to be. Yeah, they're on the looks like the twenty five ish yard line, so they're probably yeah, third and seven now, so maybe if they don't get it here, they kick a field goal.
Speaker 2: Tied up.
Speaker 1: But this game, of course, was delayed twenty four hours because of the situation in New Orleans on New Year's Eve night, so weird. I mean, I think there's In fact, we had two people on the text line mentioned that they actually forgot that this game was even being played right now. So yeah, it's on if you want to tune in. I mean, I don't want to encourage you to leave this great experience that is Coffee and Company in the five o'clock hour. This is where we shine. So maybe you can just have it on in the background and continue to listen. Or maybe you know you're driving home from work so you can't watch, so you're stuck with us, I mean you're not You probably have other options. In fact, I know you have other options, but this is the best option, at least in my opinion. All Right, so this winter weather that we are about to get, that has every rush into the store to get the bread, the milk, all that kind of stuff. I think I've realized, No, I don't really even pay attention to what they're predicting anymore. And this isn't not trust me, I'm not gonna I'm not gonna start off the year at the you know, our first five o'clock segment on a Thursday in twenty twenty five taken a run at the meteorologist again because you know, do it, that wouldn't be worth it.
Speaker 2: But like they're wrong often right, and.
Speaker 1: Clearly it's a tough it's a tough tough thing to be super accurate because you know, I don't think there's any perfect meteorologists out there, So this isn't really about them.
Speaker 2: But I just know because of.
Speaker 1: The recent years of the build up and really nothing happen. And for those who don't know my whole take on this, I don't believe that that they are programmed and led by program directors meeting meteorologists to try to scare you, to really hype up something that they don't believe is a legitimate storm because they know if you're scared and you're worried, you're going to be more likely to tune in and tuning into their product, their news.
Speaker 2: That is good for them.
Speaker 1: So, like, I know, all that is like a lot of people believe that I happen to think that there's enough integrity and ethics within that industry to where you wouldn't you wouldn't frighten people intentionally or mislead them in a big way just because you think that they're going to be tuning in more. Now, I also think that there's at least a little level of it is that that happens just because you know it is a business, like believe it or not, the more you tune in because you're worried about whether, the better it is for those stations. Now, again, I think you can kind of know the game you're in, but also have enough integrity to where you're not going to go above and beyond or like really just lie because you think people being scared and wanting to be tuned in will help you. So what I'm getting at is if they end up being way wrong and we were expected to get six inches of snow or a foot of snow and we got nothing. They clearly get you know, get criticized by viewers like myself because you know, why did you tell us? Like how could you be that wrong? But I think the ultimate like where they got to be held accountable and there's something done about it at whatever level it. You know, you would do something like about it at the end of the day if weather wasn't really bad and it wasn't dangerous and everybody's safe and we didn't lose electricity and freeze our ass off because everything turned to ice at.
Speaker 2: The end of the day, that's good news that that's a good result.
Speaker 1: So like them being wrong is a good thing if that makes sense to where like they can you know, at the end of the day, if they're there's always going to be that crutch for them that hey, they were wrong. But man, it's because of this and that, and we just you know, we just take them at.
Speaker 2: Their word for it. So I think we've hit again.
Speaker 1: I could be wrong here, but I feel like the threat that we're under here in the state of Kentucky Louisville of course as well in these next few days, Like I feel like it's pretty crazy to see what they are expecting. But I'm just somebody that now at this point, I'm not even going to be keeping up with it. I'll just see what happens and i'll make you know, I'll make the necessary adjustments I have to make as far as like my schedule with my kids and that kind of stuff. But I did just get an update. In fact, we all got emails here at iHeart from Nathan Nelson, one of our vps of programming, and he's given us I guess you know the lowdown as far as what's expected from now until Sunday, which apparently Sunday is when it's going to be really really bad. It looks like tomorrow it'll be it'll be pretty cold, but you know, nothing as far as snow, at least that I can tell. Saturday really cold, but I don't think we're gonna get any precipitation. But Sunday is when the main storm is set to arrive. And here's what is projected according to our news partners at Wokhy. Sunday morning, snow and freezing rain develops west to east. The further north you go, it'll be mainly snow. The further south you go, it's going to be mainly rain, it says here Sunday afternoon, it's going to be snow, sleet, and freezing rain, and it's going to increase the intensity.
Speaker 2: The intensity will.
Speaker 1: Increase as well as the coverage of where this sleet, snow and freezing rain is going to hit. Looks like the heaviest is expected to be, of course, the northern part of this state, and it sounds like southern Kentucky. It's going to be mostly just rain, which isn't fun. But clearly you're not gonna have to worry as much about it inconveniencing you if it's just rain. But Sunday night looks like there's going to be a heavy amount of freezing rain and then it turns to sleet and snow, and this is where it could be pretty significant if we get ice on the power lines and that kind of stuff. So maybe they're right and this is a big time disastrous type of storm. But I'm just gonna sit I'm not saying they're going to be wrong. I'm not predicting that this is another one of those everybody was worried about losing power and not being able to get out of their house for a week and it's nothing like maybe it is, maybe it's not. I'm not sure, but I just don't really have the energy to, you know, to to to use two three days now to just expect some big inconvenience of weather to come our way whenever. I feel like, more often than not, it's either not it doesn't happen at all, or it's nowhere near as bad as they sometimes believe that it could be. So make arrangements, I guess, if you want. But I'm somebody that's just gonna wait and see what ends up what ends up happening. I feel like we haven't gotten like a real big snow storm in a long time.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, it's been a few maybe at least since about two Christmas is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've had a couple of years. The last I think last year was really mild as far as snow and all that. But the year before that, I remember we got some really really cold temperatures and some snow, but it wasn't like we had an enormous amount of it. It just it was so cold that you know, I remember, my driveway is a big hill and we've been there. I guess this is our third winner now, and I know two years ago there was I mean, there was about a week I think to where it never got above like twenty degrees. I feel like, yeah, and that led to where I could not get up my driveway until it finally got Oh that's brutal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't fun.
Speaker 1: In fact, I think I ruined some tires just trying to trying to be a tough guy, just trying to get up there, and it didn't work out, and I learned to learn the hard way when it comes.
Speaker 3: To I just hate driving during the when it's all icy and and well, don't get me wrong, I do like the nice calmness that snow brings, especially if you're sitting out there washing it or if you're just watching it and then like it's falling gracefully and it's like a soft snow. But the days that are after that and then it just starts to get all like brown and melted, and then it's all slushy and gross. That's what I can't stand. And for whatever reason, some of the roads don't seem to be treated. That's what I hate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I've always and I think there used to be more people at least that I you know, and maybe this is still the case. But I think there are a lot of people who don't like the winter and don't like cold weather, and like, I totally get it.
Speaker 2: I'm in the minority.
Speaker 1: I don't mind winter, and I think this time of the year is you know, not only just because the holidays.
Speaker 2: But I'm just a.
Speaker 1: Weirdo to where I really enjoy the cold months. When it gets dark early, it's what, it's nightmare fuel for a lot of people, but I just tend to like it. I don't really know why, but again it's just I guess I'm just.
Speaker 2: A weird though.
Speaker 4: I'll take this over sweating my ass off, you will any.
Speaker 2: Day save here, like I don't. I don't. I don't really like the summer.
Speaker 1: There's awesome stuff that comes with the summer, yeah, but like heat, humidity, like I just and it's such a downtime for sports for me. So like I just, I'm not as big on the summer as a lot of people. But if it's gonna be cold, which we're gonna get cold winters around here, maybe sometimes it'll be a little bit more mild, Maybe some years it's gonna be arctic. But I'm of the I just if we're gonna get cold weather, let's let's get snow. Like I've always had the mindset of that. I mean, if it an't if it if it inconveniences people in their livelihood, like if you know, if it keeps you from being able to go to work and you lose money, then that's one thing. If your kids miss school because of it, and that inconveniences you like, I get all that, but the only thing that sucks when we do get the snow is one how roads can be really bad, but also man whenever it's like a slow melt to where you briefly get above freezing, but then you know, it gets right back to freezing and you just got like the dirty snow that people have been walking in and then it refreezes.
Speaker 2: That's just gross.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I hate that.
Speaker 1: And it sounds like that maybe what is coming our way if if the predictions are correct to where we get a lot of it and you know it ends up being warm because it's gonna be right around freezing. It looks like on on I guess the weekend, but then I guess the real threat here is that by the time we get to late Sunday and on Monday, whatever whatever we get as far as snow, sleet, whatever, it's gonna be so cold in certain areas that it's gonna freeze. And that's where you get into the real, real danger zone. But I've never personally been really impacted by a snowstorm to where I didn't have power, and that.
Speaker 2: That's really where it gets scary.
Speaker 1: Right if you're if you're snowed in, but you have electricity and you are warm, you're probably gonna get bored, maybe get stir crazy. But like I kind of like the thought of being snowed in. Yeah, it's kind of cozy, it's kind of fun, relaxing.
Speaker 4: Considering all the elements.
Speaker 3: You still have everything, and you're not just sitting there and can total darkness because you don't have electricity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's where gets scary.
Speaker 1: So again, wherever you're located, I'm sure you're keeping up with it as well, and you know, we'll see what happens. That's kind of It's kind of where I'm at real quick, before we dive back in and start talking about the things we've been discussing this afternoon, obviously a big win for Louisville basketball last night. Great performance from this team, got a big commitment form Mikil Brown. We've also talked a lot of football. I do want to remind you of a feature on the iHeart Radio app that I kind of forgot about. This is not relatively In fact, this has been around for a few years and I used to mention it every now and then, and then I kind of I don't know, I guess I forgot about it. But there are many of you that listen to this show on the ihet Radio app, and that's because you know, we and for those who don't realize, before streaming radio stations was a thing, I mean, it wasn't a thing, and iHeart made it made it a thing, which that's why the company used to be called clear Channel, and then once they created an app where you can stream live radio stations anywhere as long as you have some connectivity, it's kind of a big deal at that time, which is why there's still stations that aren't iHeart radio stations. But yeah, they pay Oheart Radio to have their station on the app because that's where people go to listen to live radio on their device. There's others out there that can give you the same thing, but I heeart is is the big stick, as they say. So there's a lot of people who listen to iHeart Radio and when they listen to this show and be listening to KSR, maybe you listen to Tony and dwight On has But if you go to you if you pull open the app and I'm gonna do this, but I gotta turn my phone down because then.
Speaker 2: They'll be a really bad like delay because.
Speaker 1: Whatever I'm going to get from the app right now is going to be, gosh, no joke, probably two minutes behind what where we are live.
Speaker 2: That's just how it works with the stream.
Speaker 1: But right now again, if I pull it up here and I'm and I've got the app open, and it shows that I'm that I'm listening to Sports Talk seven ninety. At the top right, you've got the stop button that's black that you know, of course, you hit stop if you if you want to stop listening to us, which is funny, who would want to stop listening to us? But to the to the left of that black stop button, there's a red microphone button. If you click on that. What that does is it gives you the chance to You have to first open up access to your microphone from this app, which a lot of apps do that, then you can hit you Once you've allowed the app access to your microphone, you can then record whatever you want. Like let's say you want to call in, but you don't want to wait on hold, you want to call in and ask a question, you want to insult me, Like you know, this is just a way to interact with the show that like I kind of forgot about. But I would imagine as more and more each day we seem to kind of shift to the digital side, meaning if you're not in your car, you're probably listening to this live on the iHeartRadio app. You can be a part of the show by just clicking that button and recording your take, your question again, your insult, whatever you have. So I'm going to start mentioning that throughout early on here in twenty twenty five and not really sure what to expect, but maybe that becomes maybe not the most convenient.
Speaker 2: Way to be a part of the show.
Speaker 1: I'd still say our text line is is I mean, there's a lot of riff raft that comes in, but it's also a pretty good resource to include interaction from the show. But this could be the same thing. This could be to where like, hey, we went to break and five people recorded something in the in the talkback of the app, and it's really cool. How I log into my system here at ihearten and anything you send is just right there.
Speaker 2: So have at it.
Speaker 1: Fire away again what I always say when it comes to calls and texts, questions, complaints, compliments, insults, whatever you've got, fire away And we can now include that in the talkback feature. All Right, we'll get back into the little basketball stuff here on the other side. And I haven't got to it yet, but I've been mentioning it. We certainly need to talk about the NFL MVP Award because I don't I just don't get the feel that Lamar is gonna win it. I think he should, and yes maybe I'm biased, but like, if he doesn't win it, I'm not going to lose my mind because I know how this works. It's not because like people are plotting against him. It's just that you know, when you win it twice and you've set the bar as high as you have, even though you're having a really good year this year, maybe the best year ever. When it comes to stats, they're gonna want to give it to somebody who hasn't won it before. And I don't like that, but that's just the way it is. Kind of like the Heisman. Lamar could have won the Housmand twice, but you're never going to see somebody win that or twice. It's just not for right or wrong. It's just how it is, all right, quick break, keep a lock right here on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 5: Ninety now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's On Sports Talk seven nine.
Speaker 1: Day, so I mentioned the talkback feature that I was telling folks they could utilize if they want to be a part of the show and contribute.
Speaker 2: You don't have to call weight on hold.
Speaker 1: You can literally just use thirty seconds and give a take, ask a question, insult me if you'd like, maybe compliment me.
Speaker 2: Those those work as well. Probably not as good for the show, but it look nice today. Thank you appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean compliments. I'll probably just listen to them to to help my ego. I won't play them on the air because I know a lot of people wouldn't want to hear that. But I just did a little testing on my end with it, and it doesn't keep your numbers, so like this is a way for you to I mean, I'm in the back end accessing what comes in to this station and our other stations just from my log in, and there's no like, I don't it doesn't show your number or anything. It just all we know is that you know what you recorded came through and we can play it. So I hope it takes off because again, I know a lot of people maybe don't want to call in and wait. Maybe they just don't like they maybe they don't have time, maybe they don't have maybey don't want to. But if you want, in fact, this could be the This could be a quicker way for you. If you're in your car and you're driving, and you know you shouldn't be texting and driving, so you won't text into the text line. You don't want to call in, so you just get out the app and hit that red button and you can record whatever you want, say whatever you want, and maybe it gets on the air. Maybe that's you know that. I think in a way, it could be one of the more convenient ways to uh in better ways to have interaction here on the show. But there's a lot of ways for you guys to be a part of the show. I just wanted to mention that one as a as a new one, and I wanted to let you know that this is the only way I think you could ever interact with us via your phone, and we don't have your phone number if you're worried about that, which I don't know why anybody would, but some people are kind of, you know, parade about that kind of stuff, all right. Currently in the Sugar Bowl, of course, the college football playoff game that was delayed until today, you've got the two minute warning, or it's the two minute warnings at the time.
Speaker 3: Out, so a two minute time out now the ten minute warning is owned by the NFL.
Speaker 1: Oh, you can't call it that, right, that makes sense. So it's tied at three. We're tied at three apiece here and Notre Dame is driving with the ball. Looks like they're about midfield I think, or released close to it.
Speaker 2: So we'll see.
Speaker 1: Been a close game throughout, low scoring, and I would have I mean, if you're Notre Dame, you got to be feeling pretty good about where you are right now. Obviously, you're not in the driver's seat. You could easily lose, and it could get you could get away from you. But two minutes left, you're just tied at three at three apiece. The quarterback, who, of course, is spilling in for the injured what's his name guy's been there forever, Carson Bell.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, maybe he's playing well and it's just not showing up on the scoreboard. But you've been able to kind of you know, I think if you're Notre Dame, the nightmare is that like the kid comes out and you know he's talented, or he wouldn't be playing at Georgia, but he becomes out make some early plays and he's dialed up and just really playing with confidence. That could have been a tough thing to deal with, but doesn't look like that's happened just yet.
Speaker 4: Laura Rutler joined the screens always always get.
Speaker 1: Shout out, Olwer rutleysh Yes, that's right, all right. So last night Louisville of course got to win against Carolina. And this one may not have the same value that other wins against previous Carolina teams would have, but I don't.
Speaker 2: Care at all.
Speaker 1: Louisville played really well, and I was so happy to see them win a game where they they couldn't get good looks from three to fall. If that's something you're still concerned about as a fan, Like Man, They're gonna shoot a lot of threes, but I just don't think they're that good of a three point shooting team. That's understandable. I just think the ceiling for this team is always going to be at as high as when they are taking a lot of threes, getting good looks and making you know, a good percentage of them. They didn't do that last night. They also were really bad at the free throw line, which you can't be and expect to win many games against good teams.
Speaker 2: But they were so.
Speaker 1: Good at every other aspect right They were hustling, they were, I mean, their attention to detail defensively was really noticeable. They had some sets in the half court, some action that, like, I mean, it was I wish they ran a little more of that in the half court, and they have certainly in recent weeks with all the injuries. But I feel like when they do dial up some stuff, man, especially early on when they got that bucket for Noah Waterman, there was another bucket around the rim that they missed Trex, So I guess it wasn't a bucket, but like they were doing some things just keeping the defense moving to where they weren't so easy to defend. When you are just even though you rely a lot on movement and motion for you to get those good looks that you believe or high percentage looks from three, when when you're getting those and you're just consistently not making them. Again, Louis was a twenty nine percent three point shooting team, So when they you know, they're always going to shoot a lot of them, but when they just get into where that's just what they're doing it, and it's so obvious that the only thing they're trying to do is get a good look from three and you're having an off night, you know what you've done. You've made the night pretty easy for your opponent to where they're like, okay, well we'll keep letting them shoot. You know, we're not going to give them a ton of wide open looks, but man, if this is what they want to keep doing, it's working well for us, so let's keep it going. So last night, again, shots didn't fall. They need to be better at the free throw line, but they still won a thirteen points because they were so locked in in every other aspect. So I think it's one of the best wins for the Pat Kelsey era. Some would say it is the best win, certainly the best win at home. And they've got some momentum here to start twenty twenty five, not only because of the victory, but also because they landed a five star commitment, not actually during the game. Apparently this happened long ago, in fact, over a month ago, but they made it public last night. Mickel Brown Junior a five star point guard, the number one point guard in the twenty twenty five class. He was in attendance and he let everybody know that he's going to be a little of a cardinal and he's going to play for Pat Kelcey, which is big news. Again, you're adding a point guard that, again is the best in the country at his position.
Speaker 2: You never know.
Speaker 1: Some guys are top ten, top five players and it just never materializes.
Speaker 2: That happens. We'll have to wait and see.
Speaker 1: I don't expect that to be the case with mckel brown Junior, but he's one of those guys that is so highly regarded, you can claim that, yeah, we should be getting a lot out of him, even though he's a freshman. He's the type of freshman that you can't like just slow play with this guy, right, Like, no doubt in my mind he's going to be handed the keys to run this team next year as he should. Now, maybe we end up learning that he's not as good as we thought.
Speaker 2: Who knows.
Speaker 1: We can't control that and only time will tell. But it's a really good talented player that even if he is a one and done off his one year here, he's helping Louisville and they're a good team because of him. Then you know what that's gonna do. It's gonna give you a chance to get more of those guys. And you cannot live and die with just those guys like you used to be able to when you had CALLI Kentucky Duke did it for a little while, Bill self like you're still gonna you know, you need other components, But man, having a young talent like for example, Duke, I think right now has a perfect balance. I don't know if they'renna end up being champions this year because they've taken some losses, but Duke has really really talented freshmen, like really talented freshman and then they also have some glue guys that are veterans that have played a lot of college basketball that are fine with being the fifth best player because.
Speaker 2: They're at Duke.
Speaker 1: They're not at you know, Tulane anymore. So that's a good mix. I think that's a good formula. I don't know if louis is going to be getting. I mean, clearly, this is the first big commitment Louisvell's got under Pat Kelsey, and it's also the second highest rate to commit Louisvill's ever had. The highest is Smart o' samuel. So certainly this is a big time get for Louisville and it's going to help them next season. But what I also think it can do is I don't know enough about recruiting to know if Mickel Brown Junior is like a if he is if he is he a trendsetter.
Speaker 2: Is he a guy that.
Speaker 1: Other uncommitted players are going to see at Louisville and say, okay, I want to go follow him because this and we're talking about the second highest ranked commit ever again, the number seven player overall and the number one point guard. So it's rare to get a guy like this, even like in the Patino day. I mean, it's just it doesn't doesn't happen that often. But he's the first guy to commit in this class in twenty twenty five, and he broke the ice here and again, I don't mean that this is that you should just expect to get a bunch of guys like this, because to be honest, there's not many guys like him.
Speaker 2: He's that special as far as.
Speaker 1: You know where he's ranked and what he's expected to do in probably his only year as a college basketball player. But getting one of these guys to commit to Pat Kelsey when Pat Kelsey I think so far has done a good job when you consider the circumstances as far as the injuries and him just building a team from scratch. I think, again, only time will tell. But I said, I've said this here and there throughout the season, and I'll say it once more. I'm not worried right now about Louisville having a guy that is going to get a lot out of what he has to work with. I could be wrong, but I feel like you're in you know, this guy's either going to win here. He's going to die trying. I just think that's how Pat Kelsey's wired. And I'll give Josh Hurt a lot of credit. That's a component that had way more value than I realized. I knew it would be great to get a guy who would, you know, eat, sleep, breathe nothing but Louisville basketball because they want to win that bad or that competitive. But Pat's never been at a place like this like this is He's probably oftentimes thinking, man, I cannot believe I've put myself in this position to be the basketball coach here. There's no way I'm gonna let this opportunity fizzle away. I'm gonna do everything I can to really maximize what this can be. So with that, you know, I think with Pat Kelsey the proof of concept to me, I'm seeing some sign of it. And what I mean by that is Pat Pat at Louisville.
Speaker 2: This is what is he?
Speaker 1: How many games in now? I mean Louisvell's played a total of fourteen games at this point and they have a nine to five record. So like, if you're still out there thinking that you know, and you're right, like the Jerry still out who knows how this will will end up working out three years from now, But I still think I've seen enough to feel like, Okay, we've got a pretty good coach. If he can get some good players in here, guys to fit what he wants to do, wants to do, and get talent that you know he didn't used to get it places like Winthrop and Charleston and mckel brown's a great example of that that I think, Look, this thing could really work out in a major way. So I don't know, I mean for mickel Brown to give you that commitment, and I know Adidas was a factor and helped out. I know Donovan Mitchell helped out as well, and that kind of stuff matters. But for Pat to get get a kid like this to commit to him when he hasn't really even had the time to show if he's going to be able to make it work here, I think that's pretty telling to his ability to sell. And I always go back to Rob Cassidy of Rivals, who was on with us talking recruiting over the years. You know, he mentioned of all the guys in that mid major tier for Louisville, like, if you don't get a Scott True, if you don't get a you know, a big name and you got to go to the mid major ranks.
Speaker 2: There's some good.
Speaker 1: Coaches to work to pick from, but when it comes to Dusty May and Josh Shirtz and Pat Kelsey, who knows who the best coach of them is? I mean that I remember that. That was something that Rob said that you know, he thinks the world of Josh shirts and he thinks Dusty May already shown.
Speaker 2: He can be a really good coach.
Speaker 1: But he felt like Pat Kelsey, his personality and everything about him, would be able to maximize, like to really utilize what Louisville has to offer and go recruit at a really high level. And only one in this class right here in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: But that's okay.
Speaker 1: If you only get one freshman and it's just him, and you get other good players from the portal and you bring back some guys that can return, I think you can have a pretty pretty damn good team. So that was big news last night. And this is a video that I guess is going to come out in the Louisville. So Louisville Basketball does the series on social media and they'll be putting one out. I don't know if it comes out later today. I'm trying to double check here to see when we can expect it. But Mickel Brown himself posted a clip from it, and it's kind of like a little documentary kind of thing behind the scenes, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here we go.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 1: Well, see if I can find the clip here. Well, and I can't find it, but either way, actually here it is. But this is a call that mckail Brown made to Pat Kelsey, and I don't know if I'll just let you guys here for yourself.
Speaker 6: What's going on, coach, mike L?
Speaker 4: What's going on?
Speaker 6: Nothing?
Speaker 2: Just got out of practice? What's hold up?
Speaker 6: Man? Like he just gave me.
Speaker 7: If I'm like got a loss for words, I'm like, my man, Mikel Brown, the most outside my wife and my children, maybe the most important person.
Speaker 6: In my world right there?
Speaker 7: Nothing much, coach. How you doing.
Speaker 8: I'm doing great. I'm doing great, living the dream. I'm the head coach one of the most story, tradition rich programs in the history of college basketball. I'm recruiting PG one Mikel Brown. That you know, if if the stars around aligning the right way and my dreams come true, I'm coaching. You know, I coached Chris Paul and Jeff te and Is Smith, and I'm if he talked he's the best point guard that I've ever coached, if I have the opportunity to do that.
Speaker 1: So there is a video that I'm sorry, I guess this is from. I'm sure Louisville will have some content in regards to it, because that's you know, they do a pretty good job of putting stuff out as far as videos. But it looks like he has a meaning. Mckail Brown has a YouTube channel, and I guess he's going to post something that was a little I guess a snippet of preview of his of his process here as he's decided to come to lois. It was actually pretty cool last night and not something I was used.
Speaker 2: To, but it was.
Speaker 1: It was nice because you can go to a postgame press conference with Pat Kelsey and and and hear him talk about a player that it's already signed. So, for those who understand how it works, if mickel Brown committed verbally last night on a visit but didn't sign, which he signed in November, by the way, Pat Kelsey wouldn't be able to talk about him. So you know that was that was cool to hear him talk about not only how big it is to get a player this talented, but also to you know, talk about his game, tell us what we can expect, kind of what he likes about him other than of course, you know, he's really really talented.
Speaker 2: So this is this is a different video. This is from the Louisville side of it.
Speaker 1: The first clip I just played with something that I guess Michel Brown's camp is is producing. As far as the content, this is from the U of L side of it. As as Pat Kelsey got the call, uh and when he found out that that MIKEL Brown wanted to come play for him here at Louisville.
Speaker 6: How did you feel when you got the commitment call from Mike.
Speaker 7: I just wanted to call you to say that they keep it on the love between between the family and and and all of my my closet, my closet and loved ones and between you guys that that I'm coming.
Speaker 2: Hey, man, let's go, let's go.
Speaker 5: Michael P g One, stop it, stop.
Speaker 6: It, let's let's think and go.
Speaker 5: Let's go.
Speaker 6: You just made the greatest decision of your young life.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 6: This is it's it's you. You just flipped it. You just flipped this whole stinking thing. Man, it's on. It's on. There's never, ever, ever, ever a doubt in my mind, but when you just said the words to me, it's on.
Speaker 5: It's on.
Speaker 7: It's on. Coach, you'll get to it.
Speaker 6: Hey, man, I'm so stinking excited. I'm so proud of you, just the way you and your family went about this process, the professionalism that you showed, the maturity you handled this whole thing like a grown man. And uh and and and we're going to a final four. We're gonna win a national championship.
Speaker 5: Okay, this is.
Speaker 6: Hey, is your mom and dad excited.
Speaker 5: Let's go let's excite, let's go.
Speaker 6: Hey.
Speaker 1: So again, they'll have I think that that that clip there is a part of a bigger video project that they'll put out at some point, and maybe it's already out now, I just haven't seen it. That was That was a snippet from it, and you could tell there's there's real excitement there. And that isn't something I would usually play on this show, and it usually isn't something that I would spend as much time talking about because I know recruiting just is a very niche thing. But you're talking about the second highest length kid to commit to Louisville and he did it for a coach that you know, did in fact take over a program that that had gone through two years. None of us ever thought possible. And I know so far, you know, maybe you aren't pleased or satisfied with what you've seen so far with this team. But I mean, I think if you consider, you know, if you take context in the situation, I think.
Speaker 2: Louisville's the future is bright with Pat Kelsey.
Speaker 1: I could be totally wrong, and maybe there's just some wishful thinking there on my end, but I think when he is able to start bringing in the caliber player that you used to get at Louisville every year, I mean, I think sky's the limit. All Right, we have what the hell happened? I turn away from the game, Austin, and now we got we've got a thirteen to three lead for Notre Dame. It was three to three with two minutes left, and now it's thirteen to three.
Speaker 3: I well, Notre Day made a kick to field goal, then the on the en suing possession, there was a strip sack football right there like at the goal line, and Notre Dame punched it.
Speaker 2: In three points for Georgia at halftime.
Speaker 4: Getting out of control.
Speaker 1: Georgia loses and the only team remaining in the playoff from the SEC as a team that just got there this year that benefited from the refs not having the balls to call blatant targeting late in the fourth quarter. Texas may win the National Championship, but we'll be able to sit back and say, yeah, you all need to humble yourself because this didn't play out in any way like you thought it would. And still the best league top to bottom in college football. I don't think that's ever going to change, meaning the SEC. But it's all about the separation that they believe they have between everybody else. It's just it's not real. It's something that it's a world they're living in on their own because it means more. I guess all right, finally I said you for the last segment, we'll talk about the NFL MVP. I think there's actually a guy that if I had to vote for who should win the MVA, and it wasn't gonna be Lamar, it wouldn't be Joe Burrow. It wouldn't be Josh Allen. If be somebody else, I'll tell you that is on the other side, and we'll take a look at just this overall process of the NFL MVP, because I'm not going to be shocked if Lamar doesn't win it, and it you know, it's just because he set the bar so high that I think people are kind of just used to him doing what he's doing and they want, you know, he's got to go above and beyond, which I kind of think he has this year. But also Josh Allen's had a hell of a year and he hasn't won an MVP yet. Right quick break, don't go anywhere, keep it locked right here on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 5: Ninety Now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine.
Speaker 1: Day so at DraftKings, Josh Allen is the favorite currently to win the MVP. Minus three twenty is his odds, followed by Lamar Jackson at plus two twenty five, and then you got a pretty drop off Joe Burrow at plus eighteen hundred and Sequon Barkley at plus three thousand. I actually think prior to the slowdown right mid midway through December. He's not going to play in Week eighteen. I think Saqwan Barkley. If I was gonna give it to somebody, not lame Lamar Jackson, I would have given it to him. That's how that's how good of a year he's had. What's crazy, though, is that Barkley he won't win MVP, but like I think he still should be a I mean, he's got the fourth best odds, so clearly he's in the mix. But he also won't win Comeback Player of the Year, Right, that's got to go to Donald.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, well the Comeback Player of the Year. They've now changed it to where if you were just like a schleppie and not great all that year and you come back and have a great year, you had to have been injured the previous year.
Speaker 2: And that's not Donald, right, Yeah, no, that's not Donald.
Speaker 4: Well they changed it.
Speaker 3: I guess you can call it kind of like the Damar Hamblin thing, because Joe Flacco won it last year because he was just sitting on his couch for a couple of weeks before he just came out and just started winning games and then over Damar Hamlin. So they just made it to where if you were injured before then that's what qualifies you. But does Sam Donald MVP talks. I mean, that's not going to happen. But who would have thought? Who would have thunked this thirteen weeks too?
Speaker 2: I know you are really big on McCarthy. Yes, have you seen?
Speaker 1: I mean, I know it was a big topic on Cowherd today that they are apparently shopping him because they they just can't let Darnald.
Speaker 4: I don't think that's true. I'm not I'm not believing it.
Speaker 3: Why though, it's because there's they're gonna franchise Tag.
Speaker 1: It's truly a tough Sam darn It's truly a tough situation. But they could get real value because because McCarthy would be the best quarterback in this draft, maybe outside of one to two guys. Yeah, that's what everyone said so far, So you could get a whole lot of value there, and I mean it.
Speaker 2: The Vikings are in a great spot this year.
Speaker 1: They're having a hell of a season and for those who don't know, Austin's a Vikings fan, but they are in a really tough spot, meaning like what to do here? Because both if you can keep both in cool, but like, there's also a big risk that if if the rookie you draft it doesn't end up being close to as good as you thought, and and you've let Darnald get away, then you could you could you could be regretting it if if the rookie ends up being traded because you feel that Donald's the guy because of this season, and then you kind of see the other version of Donald that has been in the NFL much longer than the current version you have on the one year phenomenal run that he's having, and then who knows, McCarthy's a legend somewhere.
Speaker 2: Else like it. It really is a tough spot.
Speaker 1: But I get the sense that they realize they could get real value.
Speaker 2: And getting rid of one of them. They just got to pick, you know what I mean, And.
Speaker 3: Then you have two first round picks in the next year's draft. Then you could see what they do with that. But from just all the insights and everything now here, and I'm not an NFL inside or whatsoever. I'm just ring to me, thank you a slippy that listens to podcast and and kind of the insiders a talk over there. Donald does our JJ McCarthy is the guy. To that front office organization. However, this magic carpet ride that they're on with Sam Darnald, it would be it'd be just hard to go ahead and give them up. So you at least got to bring him back for one year. You don't want to kind of learn from the mistakes.
Speaker 2: Of itald one year deal.
Speaker 3: He is on a one year deal and he's on like ten million dollars, but you can franchise him, kind of let him name whatever he wants for forty million for next year because they are sixth in cap But at the same time, they just moved off of a terrible, terrible Kirk Cousins contract. And the thing to do now when the NFL is just have a rookie scale quarterback contract, and that's how you're.
Speaker 2: A That's what I'm gonna say that.
Speaker 1: That's what makes McCarthy more intriguing than people realize, is that they know they can play. They can get him cheap while he's a rookie, so or at least on his rookie deal. I should say, so, Yeah, I don't know what I would do. I think Donald he's balling out, yes, I mean he like he's I mean, he's somebody that was thrown into terrible situations when he got to the NFL, because that's what happens when you get drafted really early. And now he's with a great organization that is really in a good place just about everywhere else. And if he's not with Minnesota next year, he'll be making a lot of money somewhere. Yeah, I think I want the Colts to get him if he leaves.
Speaker 9: The Who's Sam Darnald, Yes, just because we're never gonna be bad enough to be or at least never gonna We're never gonna tank again, and we didn't even tank whenever we got the whatever pick it was to get Richardson, and he's already a bust.
Speaker 3: I don't think the Colts would be terrible. I mean, shann was an offensive coordinator. He could be a quarterback whisper. But that seems to be like the sentiment around the league with everything that's in Minnesota right now, Kevin O'Connell having Jordan Addison justin Jefferson, and that's a great spot to be if you're a quarterback, and that is quarterback rehabilitation. You also got to think, remember they signed Daniel Jones halfway through there. Daniel Jones is on the backup too, so it's it's Quarterbackabilitation University up there in Minnesota.
Speaker 1: With the way things went with the Colts this past weekend against the Giants, I mean, I'm now to the point where I won't really have much confidence in anything unless there's an overall change. Just the culture right now is so bad. I'm not a big Pat McAfee guy. You know, I don't dislike him. He's just not really my cup of tea. But I think he's actually been spot on with everything he said in regards to the way the Colts is. The way the Colts franchise is being run right now, just to I mean, not good by any means. But anyways, the NFL stuff that I wanted to get to with Lamar, I mean the reason I hate the NFL MVP and really the NBA, Like if you're truly gonna make it the most valuable player on a certain team, that's a different conversation, but that's there's no defined consistent criteria for the MVP award to where you can kind of just say, yeah, that guy, he was the best player. But you know, I'm gonna I'm gonna give, and Darnold would be really deserving if Lamar wasn't already played better then he's played in his entire career, when he's already got two MVP trophies in his case. But we're out of time. Have a good night. We'll be back tomorrow, right here on Friday,