Speaker 1: Hello, everybody, Welcome to Game Spot After Dark, Episode two hundred and fifty three. I am back with Jake Decker and kurtin Divina. But guess what, we're not in person. We're remote now to his favorite way to record a podcast. But you gotta do what you gotta do to make the content. Jake, how you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm doing good. I feel like I don't have anything to talk about this week, so it's fun.
Speaker 1: Don't worry about it.
Speaker 2: I've played some games, but you know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Kurt, what about you? You have anything to talk about?
Speaker 3: I got I got a brand new Hid Object puzzle Adventure. Oh last night?
Speaker 1: Oh the audience is in for it?
Speaker 3: I well, I mean either that or they all just.
Speaker 1: Is it part of the and Walked Away? Is it part of Spooky Mystery Collection five?
Speaker 3: Or this one could be on there? It's it's from it was put on Steam in twenty sixteen, but the game is actually from two thousand and six, I think. But it's a really good Spooky season one. And yeah, for those of you who give a shit and have listened to me talk about these games, I always talk about True Fear for Sake Consules Part one. I'm still waiting for part three to come out. According to the dev's Facebook page, it's supposed to come out this month. Don't think that's happening. They haven't had an update since May anyways. But this one, Shivers Old Shiver, not to be confused with four other games called Shiver uh is it might be up there is my second favorite hidden object game I've ever played.
Speaker 1: Wow, but what makes another sweaty one? What makes it like? What what makes a good hidden object game? And what makes this one so good? This? This is content, babe, We're getting into it now that now.
Speaker 3: That I've so, I've I've played a lot of these at this point. They're very easy to play. They are casual games at their highest degree, intended for an older audience. Also, by the way, there's a studio who makes these called Grandma Studios. Just let they know exactly who you're who they're making their games for.
Speaker 1: That sounds like you made that up, because that would be the studio. That would be what you would name your studio.
Speaker 3: Yeah no, mind, would just be old man studios.
Speaker 2: It would be for your mom or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is oh yeah, I mean my whole philosophy when we make videos a game spot. This is true for the listeners, as I always say, can your mom watch it? They don't have to like it, but can they watch it and follow it? They don't even have to understand it, just you know, can they watch it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So I would love to make a studio called can your mom play this?
Speaker 2: That's good?
Speaker 4: That's good, that's good, that's great, And then just make the most like absurdly niche weird, like loot GRINDI.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you should make Mosco Elysium too. That's what you should do. You might just hop on that train and be like, I have no affiliation with Zoum, but you know what I think I can make. That would disco Elysium two. Guys, I think I can do it.
Speaker 3: There are four studios.
Speaker 4: Doing six Discolysium two in the works. And you click in it's just a picture of Kurt with his pick from his.
Speaker 3: New from the new developer. Can your mom play it?
Speaker 1: Guy who's never made game before says yeah, I could do that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know what all you have to do is open your game with a black screen and just mumble a bunch of shit into a microphone and say it's like different personality traits, and there you go, that's what that other studio is doing. It's just a bunch of your curiosities like oh I felt a wind beneath my legs, Like what was that? Did that come from within or did it come from a window? And then that's when reality speaks and it's like, nah, dude, you just shit yourself. And that's when the scene opens up and you're like a mom a sleep in bed on the floor. Discolsium to you everyone. Anyways, what is your question?
Speaker 2: What makes a good point for not playing click hidden object game?
Speaker 1: Okay, it's a good hidden object game.
Speaker 3: So I've played, as I've played dozens of these at this point, I've and something I've realized is every single time I play a hidden object game that chooses to be more than what it is. And what I mean by that is usually I think the best case scenario for a hidden object puzzle adventure is that there's some hidden object parts and then there's some light, and then there's some puzzle solving and there's some object finding, and then it kind of works like a normal point click adventure game. Anytime a hidden subject game tries to incorporate too much narrative has special powers or other like mechanics. On top of those mechanics, I don't give it. It very quickly becomes like monotonous and defeats the purpose of being a casual sort of like comforting experience. So I've gone through a few recently where it's like it has a story I'm playing. I played one where you like you wake up in your Dracula and you're you found out that you lose your powers, and you got to team up with Van Helsing and you got to like find your dad Dracula's dad, and you gotta you team up with your with your who's the guy with the humpback, who's like Frankenstein one of those so ego is hanging out with you. And this one has like choose your own adventure elements where you can like choose to suck with someone's blood or not, and then doing so, you get like more powers than he that help you with other puzzles or has other elements of like you collect shield pieces to unlock other things, and in paper, I'm like, oh, that's cool, it's like doing more. And I very quickly, like after an hour and a half, was like I just want to fucking like dig under the ground and find a key that makes no fucking sense and opens a door which then leads to a tube that I have to untie for no fucking reason. So anyways, that's what makes a good In short, what makes a good hidden puzzle adventure game is less mechanics. You find some less mechanics you it's the core elements are adventure. Going in environments, yeah, finding objects to unlocked doors or occasionally click on a bookshelf and it's filled with like six hundred fucking items of wrenches and teeth and buttons and uh, flowers and butterflies that you have to siphing through and pick. That's what makes a good one. But Shiver I think it's called like something about I can't remember the name. It's like shiver Tail of the Hitchhiker. That's not what it's called, but it has to do with that. That's a good one. That's a good one. It's spooky. It's got some nice spooky elements to it. It's a good game for people to play during spooky times and the cloud Go ahead.
Speaker 4: Are there any hidden object games that don't have a long, weird subtitle that is very generic.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely not.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: My favorite is left in the Left in the Dark no one on Board. Yeah, the best one because it makes this like left in the dark, so you're left in the dark, but there's no one on board.
Speaker 1: Okay, d Like, I wouldn't they compete with each other because if if you, if you read like Japanese light novels, there's there's a whole thing where they compete with each other to see who can just come up with like the longest, stupidest name Jesus Christ.
Speaker 3: What about like a dragon pirate yakuza in Hawaii.
Speaker 1: That's great too. That's also they're they're getting in on that. So yeah, I would like to see them all start competing to just be like, we know, we have the dumbest, longest name.
Speaker 3: Play our game. It's not hard. There are some absurd ones. Actually, maybe I should have. I could pull up my Steam library now see, well, now I'm not gonna do that.
Speaker 1: Another thing because as you're talking about it, when you mentioned igor and stuff, my brain immediately went to, what if you just made a hidden object game? But it was like using the license of Young Frankenstein. The yeah, yeah, like the mel Brooks movie, Like what if and then I thought like about licensed, like licensed property is being used but specifically for hidden object dudes.
Speaker 3: This is when I first started playing these games. This is when I had like this explosion of being like, there is so much money left on the table because this is such a generic I'm not gonna say easy, but like to the point like game genre that you can apply anything to it, anything to it. You like basketball, here's the basketball had an object game like you like you like, uh yeah, you're like young Frankenstein like here. It's It's amazing to me how few companies.
Speaker 1: Like saw There's basically they're these.
Speaker 3: Games are basically getting away by making their version of it and just not branding it as such. Like there's so much left on the table. So anyway, So the one I was playing was Dracula, Love Kills, Shiver, Vanishing, Hitchhiker Collector's Edition. They all have.
Speaker 1: Collect So I did have a Hitchhiker in it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it did. Halloween Stories, Horror Movies Collector's Edition. Recently, I know the mystery case file ones have an absurd name. Oh here's one Alchemy Mysteries prog Legends.
Speaker 1: Wait sorry, repeat that one.
Speaker 3: Alchemy Mysteries, Prague Legends, Prague Legends.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, Oh, oh, Alchemy Okay, I thought you said I thought you said Frog.
Speaker 1: No, I heard Prog, but I didn't hear Alchemy. I heard Alcatraz, and I was like, well, hold on those what's going on there?
Speaker 3: This one's a long one. Nine Clues The Secret of Serpent Creek. It's not too bad, I guess, but there's nine clues. And then there's the Ghost Files to Memory of a Crime. Those games suck. Vampire Legends, the True Story of Kiz. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Are the majority of these spooky monster kind of themed like they seem to, mostly because the two genres I see the most is either like they're they're sort of like Gothic romance horror themed, or they're Christmas themed.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of Christmas.
Speaker 1: The Christmas theme ones kind of have like a Hallmark original, you know, movie kind of vibe to them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, you're on point.
Speaker 1: Is that it is that the only two.
Speaker 3: There's a spooky element to all of them, I think, but no Christmas. The Christmas ones are a big deal. I haven't played any the Christmas ones because I got away for the.
Speaker 1: Season, right it's October right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I'm not gonna play any your Christmas hid object shit, but uh yeah, I don't know. I just they're just great. I don't know, I've I just got off playing Sound Hill Too for like forty hours straight. I'm I'm now a proclaimed expert. I feel like in both the original and the remake, which is something I never thought I would ever fucking say in my life. But here we are, and I wanted something spooky but chill, so here we are, and I'm just yeah, so shiver. Vanishing Hitchhiker, which also plays like or has the same structure as Sound on Hill Too. You start out in like sort of like an apartment building, and then you finish all those puzzles and spooky shit there, going into a hospital and you do a bunch of spooky puzzles there, there's a there's a trap what do you call it? An escape room section? That's pretty good.
Speaker 1: You could easily translate that franchise to hidden object.
Speaker 3: Well, I think based. I mean Silent Hill two more or less is a hidden object game. You just walk around instead of clicks.
Speaker 1: Right, But I'm saying if they wanted to just like, you know, ye make money on the table exactly.
Speaker 4: I mean, with all the Silent Hill projects they announced last year right earlier this year, not surprised and.
Speaker 3: It would actually make me care about one of them.
Speaker 2: What was it?
Speaker 3: That was it?
Speaker 4: The call Silent Hill, the call or whatever that apparently was just atrocious.
Speaker 1: It was that like, oh, that was the U Twitch like plays type one right? No, no, no, no no.
Speaker 4: It was trying to go for like a pt sort of vibe. But I think I think like Mark gave it like a two or something O.
Speaker 3: The one that's there, it's the message fucking forgot that even happened.
Speaker 1: I think that was get What the what's the Silent Hill Twitch one that was like terrible?
Speaker 3: That was around the exact same time, UH Twitch game?
Speaker 1: The heck was it? I have no idea, Yeah it doesn't, who cares.
Speaker 3: It's completely forgot. The one that came out for like PS five Auto where and you can play it right now.
Speaker 4: I remember I was like, I'm gonna play that when I get home, and then I think, because Mark writes incredibly fast in but by the time I got home, his reviews up and gave it a too, and I was like.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm not playing. He's like, he's like, it's free, but like you're talking not free exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: That was. That was like, oh, that was a weird argument that people started bringing up about, like oh, it's weird to review games now stuff like game Pass because you know, reviews are supposed to inform your purchasing decision. I was like, no, they're supposed to inform your decision in which you use your time. It's like, I'm still even if something's free, I'm not gonna I would like to be informed on what it should be spending my actual time. Absolutely like Shiver, Vanishing Hitchhiker exactly.
Speaker 1: I did spend some of my time this weekend playing Silent Hill too.
Speaker 2: He I didn't too.
Speaker 3: You didn't tell me that. Neither one of you told you.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: I wanted to wait for the pod to share my opinion. Yeah. I played it with my brother, which is, as I mentioned on the last episode of the podcast, I was gonna do that. And he is a huge, huge Silent Hill fan, so he was coming in very skeptical of it, and he actually he's like, you know what, eat my words here. This is really fantastic. He's super impressed by it, which is cool.
Speaker 3: What does he think about the dialogue delivery?
Speaker 1: He thinks it's really good.
Speaker 3: He's like he's on one of those apologists where it's like, oh, no, it's supposed to be it's supposed to be bad on purpose.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no. He was like, if he the way he described it was it felt like it was retaining the the spirit and intent of those conversations, but the voice acting itself felt, you know, very well delivered. He's like, the talent on display is really good. He yeah, he has not had an issue they yet. The only thing that he says he doesn't like is that they didn't include the the intro cinematic that plays if you like stick on the menu too long or it like flashes. Because he was just.
Speaker 3: Like, yes, super aggressive and.
Speaker 1: Right right only because well, he was like, one, I think that's the only spot where it plays, So it'd be a shame if it never showed up. But maybe it'll show up in another part of the game. Maybe you would know.
Speaker 3: But uh but.
Speaker 1: Uh he was like, ah, that'd be kind of cool if they recreated that. That would just be like kind of silly and dumb. But I feel an actual an actual complaint of Free Update. Yeah, there you go. But uh yeah, he was really impressed, and I also, uh am really really impressed. Uh. I mean, we talked about it a lot last week. I think the thing I want to kind of touch on that I haven't heard as many people talk.
Speaker 2: About is.
Speaker 1: I think the combat in that game is genuinely terrifying and spooky and like gave me multiple like jump scare moments. Maybe I'm just bad, but I find myself actually like teetering on the edge of death a lot playing the Apartments.
Speaker 3: So it's good to hear you both say that, because Mark Delaney said that to me. I, on the other hand, did not have that experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're just too good.
Speaker 3: I was just like bobbing and weaving and zipping through things and getting to the point where I was like, I don't even fight half these motherfuckers, which is why for the first five hours I was like, I'm just running through fights. But it gets to a point though, where it does position you and you have to really it feels like I was like, I could avoid this, but I know I'd be risking myself to avoid it, so I have to get in this fight. And that's where it starts to get a little better.
Speaker 1: Right, So in general combat way more. It demands more of you versus the original combat, which is you know the little bit I played a soil hill too. I was like, this is easy. It's like you you really don't have to do much with it.
Speaker 4: It.
Speaker 1: The the enemies that got me the most were the like weird I don't know. The manes, Yes, the mannequin's one got me because they do this fucking thing where you'll see one and it runs away and then it hides somewhere and it focks me up. There was one where like I got like attacked by one and I was like and then I like I saw it like run into a room and then just stop and I was like, you, motherfucker, I know you're waiting right behind that wall, and I was it gets bad.
Speaker 4: I've seen him like curl up behind beds, like I'll see him running there.
Speaker 2: I'll walk in where is it?
Speaker 4: And then I turned the corner and it's oh.
Speaker 3: I think. I think one of the best parts is that it allows you to see it first, Like it's designed in such a way that you're not taken off guard, like you're you're looking for it, but it's just enough of a window that you can see it and react. And I think that's one of the best parts about it, so that it deliberately makes sure you see it. It's good.
Speaker 1: There's this one little section in the apartments, the woodside apartments. It's right before you go to the the second apartments where it turns into the other world, where they basically put like five of them in a row in like a series of rooms. And the first room I went into like got attacked by one. It's like I got it, second one attacks, third one comes out of nowhere and just like fucking kills me. And then when I reloaded, I like carefully was like looking around the corner, like trying to figure it out, and I just see one just like crouched underneath a little coffee table, and I was like, you, motherfucker, I see you, I see you. I got him And I was like, yes, great, And then another one just like heme out of nowhere. Fucking GotY. But it was It's terrifying. Is genuinely really unnerving. The sound design is also sounds so good.
Speaker 3: You My favorite, my favorite thing sound design is the James Clears his throat all the time. So you'll just be looking at a map and you'll hear James like, and I fucking love it all detail. There's a human quality of just hearing somebody just like all the time. Really interesting to hear what you think there as somebody who didn't play the original.
Speaker 4: Well, just to mention something John Luke had said, are you are you playing on PlayStation five or PC?
Speaker 1: I picked PS five okay because I heard that the PC version has the stutter struggle real bad damn it. So I opted to because it's an unreal engine sharp game. So I was like, I'll just go with PS five to.
Speaker 4: Not because I'm sure you've noticed by now, like when you get close to an enemy, the controller like has that radio sound.
Speaker 2: Most of the time.
Speaker 4: Sometimes it doesn't do that sometimes and it doesn't like kind of brilliant.
Speaker 1: So yes, I love how the game breaks its own rules to fuck with you, you know, like the the moment where because like there there's some hallways where you're like, oh my flashlight it can see this far and then sometimes the flashlight doesn't work. Yeah, because you're isn't as effective dark really dark. It's like and you're like, I can't see shit with this flashlight. Fuck you game. Oh my god. The the the reveal of Pyramidhead, the first time you see Pyramidhead, that game genuinely terrifying. And as someone who played up to that point in Silent Hill two knows who Pyramidhead is played it. When I played on the PS two, I was like, all right, yeah, that's pyramid Head, Like that's that's cool. But the way they do it in this where one like just the lighting and how they don't make a big deal out of it. He's just suddenly there behind the bars and it's so creepy and you're like they like they like, they don't make a big deal out of it. He's just there and he's staring at you. Yeah, I didn't know.
Speaker 3: I just all I heard was the audio there was there's just there's just a swelling and there's just a weird sounds coming at that point, and I didn't catch it at first. I was like, what is going on in this hallway? I was like going in and out right, That's when I finally saw and.
Speaker 1: The radio is going off and off and off, and then you like leave and you go to the next room over and the radio is still going off a like full volume, and you're just like, it just keeps going, but nothing's happening. He's not attacking you, there's no nyans, but the radio just keeps getting louder, and you're like you're getting anxious because it's like, oh fuck, the radio is still going. And yeah, so the way they use the radio both like they overplay it and then like as Jake mentioned, sometimes it just doesn't even play at all. Also, at being in the controller is one of the few times where like using that as a controller gimmick I think is genuinely pretty effective because it's like you're like holding the radio. It almost feels like so it kind of is like I don't know, it just it just adds to it in your brain.
Speaker 3: And also I also use the controller as my sole way of knowing what my health was. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's the only way I been like indicating because it doesn't show you on screen other than the vignette of course or the giant red. Actually I actually turned that off mostly for oh you can Yeah yeah, I turned it off mostly for capture reasons, because capturing for the review and I just didn't want, you know, certain parts, there's there's this basically there's a moment when you have to reach into a toilet and I really wanted to capture that and like make sure I get proper. And that's when I finally turned off the venette because I was little health.
Speaker 2: I was like, no, I want to tell that part in particular.
Speaker 4: I've been enjoying the game a lot, but I was like, he just walks into that room and knows exactly what to do. He's like, yeah, I'm in the toilet room. There's something here I know, and he just he just his whole arm is keep going. He pulls out pus.
Speaker 3: Out the clock arm or whatever, and I'm like, why why did you do that?
Speaker 2: Like was there so telling you too?
Speaker 4: Maybe it gets explained later, but I think that is sort of the I'm enjoying.
Speaker 2: I'm enjoining it a lot.
Speaker 4: I'm finding it very scary, especially compared to like I know, very different styles before, but like Resident Evil's very different kind of scary.
Speaker 2: This is like terror inducing, I would say.
Speaker 4: However, I do I laugh at the cut scenes because I think the voice acting is good, but like James's pauses, like the editing is so bizarre, like where it's like someone says a line, it cuts back to him, and he's like vacant for like a half a second, and then says his line, and it cuts back to the character and they're vacant for like a half second, and then they say their line, and it's like.
Speaker 3: You should watch the original, man, Oh.
Speaker 4: I'm sure, I'm sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why.
Speaker 4: Like I'm sure it's like paying homage to the original or like that's how people remember it in their head. But like it's so hard not to laugh when it's like, why are you here.
Speaker 2: My dead wife? Just like Okay.
Speaker 3: There's also his deliveries to to his to the actress credit and also to the technology. Frankly, I think that's I think that's one of the things that makes these cut scenes work for me in ways that the original didn't, because I'm with you, Jake, playing the original game and hearing people's apologies in a way be like no, no, no, no, it's supposed to be like that. Like I just don't know, I just don't know if I can subscribe to that mentality.
Speaker 1: Sure, I watch it.
Speaker 4: I don't think it's bad, Like I can see I get it, But like there are just some lines where it's like, Okay, that just sounds that.
Speaker 3: Was a little stupid, like probably verbatim too. I mean, basically this script is verbatim of the original, the exception of there's two there's like a couple new scenes, and then there's some lines they took out, which I bet you if they kept in, Jake, you'd probably be on the floor. One in particular. Yeah, if you get around, you should watch the I made a video about the biggest differences, and there's something I want to address with that video real quick. A lot of people in the comments are like, you forgot that the line is still in it. I know it is. I knew it was to you listeners, and you know what line I'm talking about. I know that doesn't that's not a big difference. The difference is that they chose not to have that line in that scene. Anyways, But if you look, if you watch that video, Jake, I think you should there's two lines I think you will laugh at.
Speaker 2: Should I wait until I finished it?
Speaker 3: Yes, Okay, yeah, absolutely, it's a very spoiler heavy video.
Speaker 2: I'll wait then, but I will watch it.
Speaker 4: I'm very curious, like because like I, like I said, I never played the original, I have very little context. I know the genre, I know about Pyramidhead. Some of the scenes and areas I'm like, okay, yeah, I can picture how this looked, you know, back in the day, but I other than that, don't really know anything.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's all new to me.
Speaker 4: And I think that's part of the reason why I'm giggling at some of these scenes that just I don't know, just just don't don't don't work as well as I think.
Speaker 2: Maybe some people think.
Speaker 3: No, I don't blame you. I agree, like I think a lot of I think a lot of it in this new one is owed. That makes it okay to me, is o too that I think a lot more heavy lifting is done purely in their faces right themselves, because so many parts with James, specifically, he'll like bite the corner of his lip a certain way, or you'll see like his Adams apple move because he swallowed, And it's little little details like that that actually show that there's something going on. But underneath the hood of these characters, you just it's just not as overt.
Speaker 4: I will say one scene that I thought was that was pretty good that I was waiting for it to just kind of fall apart because I thought it would be kind of corny or they'd like over explain, it would be like just a.
Speaker 2: Exposition.
Speaker 4: Dump was when he's in the strip club or whatever and she puts the drink for him, and I was like, Okay, now he's gonna tell us about how it was an alcoholic and like go into all this stuff.
Speaker 3: But he just didn't.
Speaker 2: He's like I don't want it, and it's like, okay, that's kind of an awkward scene, but.
Speaker 3: That's that's also a new scene that's okay. Yeah, yeah, Like there's a there's a specific clip this thing you're referring to when the camera lingers on him looking at the glass and I was getting ready same as you be, like all right, I get it over with to talk, Like give this reason that James is an alcoholic. Never happens. It's never even mentioned, and that's something that's entirely new. It was never even insinuated in the original game. So I actually appreciated that scene.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I liked it because I was just expecting way more and they gave me.
Speaker 1: Less, and I was like, there's some good subtlety going on. That's like wow, Yeah, it's nice to see.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I mean to your point about the facial expressions too. I imagine like the pauses are much easier to handle when you know they have They're more expressive. There's some subtext there to it than right before, where it didn't have that nuance.
Speaker 3: So, so have you gotten where are you? Are you in the hospital yet?
Speaker 2: I'm almost to the hospital, I believe.
Speaker 3: Okay, did you get to the movie theater?
Speaker 2: No? Not yet?
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: I I just left to the strip club and I'm following Maria or what's her name, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not Mary, Yeah, not Mary. Mary's the Mary's the dead wife.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just been dead three years years? So was she here?
Speaker 2: That's said. I I am liking it. I'm gonna play more tonight.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: I've been finding it very hard to play for extended periods of time because after a while.
Speaker 3: It's just so.
Speaker 2: So tense. I just feel it.
Speaker 3: I played that game I had to play for work.
Speaker 2: I've really played it at night too.
Speaker 3: See how our stretches non stop, just stretches just to get through it, just to do it. And then you know, did a new game plus, didn't finish the new game plus, But yeah, pretty far. So that's I've just was just full. I was taking through that game, but herenywhere and your brother and your brother's digging it.
Speaker 1: He's digging it. Yeah, he's he's really digging it. You know, we'll see how it lands in the end. But I mean, you know, from what everyone else said, it seems like it keeps that momentum most of the way through.
Speaker 3: He's a Signalis fan. I know that.
Speaker 1: Mm hm yep, sure is. So if you like Silent Hill, I like that.
Speaker 3: I probably like Signalis.
Speaker 1: The try to play signaliss and I just couldn't get into it at the time. But to be fair, that's.
Speaker 2: I've tried three times now and it just didn't do it for me.
Speaker 1: It was less the game and more of the time in which I played it. So maybe if I try it again.
Speaker 3: I just remember being on the other not the other side. But that was the same year as Norco and those games are not comparable. But I do remember it being sort of a contention when it came to discussing like some of the games of the year, and especially when you get to the smaller, sort of more factful indie ones. I not to say that we had like teams Ignaalist team Norco, but it was a very clear for me divide in which I was like, no, I think Norco is a substantially more interesting game, but uh, you know that's I'm also very very anal pretentive when it comes to survival horror. Me also reminded me too much of Silent Hill too in a bad way. So I was like, I just don't know. I can't do this again. I can't jump down another hole for absolutely no reason whatsoever, which that game asks you to do constantly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Or stick your hand in a toilet for no reason.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I would you know you do that say lovey in a moment in time, which just you know, like, I'm in a place that makes no sense. You sure most fall looking toilet. My wife is dead, but I'm looking for her. Maybe she's in here.
Speaker 1: A funny story about that. My brother was telling me that if you play the original Silent Hill three and you had a Silent Hill too save, there would be a line that would get added to that game where Heather, the main character, it sees a hole, sees a hole in the wall, and it's like I should stick my hand in there. Wait, why the fuck would I do that? Like just like acknowledging that, like James would just do that for no reason, Like so like they're you know, you're self aware. If they knew it was, it was kind of ridiculous, which is is funny.
Speaker 3: Well, I will say I am planning on playing sound Hill four, which I never have. So it's as uh as much as I never thought it'd become like a sound Hill person, which I still don't.
Speaker 2: Think I am.
Speaker 3: It's opened the doors a little bit before I don't know me willing to be maybe a little bit more patient than than I happened in the past. So I'm playing on doing that after I get done with Shiver, Vanishing Hitchhiker.
Speaker 1: I've been playing a game, Vanishing It, super Finishing It. Yeah, sup, Vanishing No, I've been playing. Uh. I played the first two episodes of Life Is Strange Double Exposure.
Speaker 3: Wait is that available to play?
Speaker 1: Yes? So it's really weird. Can the game comes out in two weeks?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: Before game? You know it's got five chapters, the typical Life is Strange stuff. It'll all come out at once. They stopped doing the whole you know, release an episode piecemeal thing. Since two. But if you spend in game calls fifty bucks. But if you spend an extra thirty bucks, if you spend eighty bucks, you can get the first two episodes a week early. And I think that fucking sucks.
Speaker 3: Then why did that have it?
Speaker 1: Well, I have it because I got a code for it because it's my job.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you are you are able to Yes, these things are public, these two these two episodes are public.
Speaker 1: They're public. You can play them, you could go on YouTube.
Speaker 3: And watch them if you spend eighty dollars.
Speaker 1: If you spend eighty dollars, you can get early. And I think that sucks because their argument was, oh, we wanted to create some of that original suspense and mystery of like people talking about it before, like.
Speaker 3: You have lie, don't make it up.
Speaker 1: I think that's bullshit. Yeah, you just want people to spend more money. And then because it's like from my perspective, like don't spend thirty bucks, wait two weeks, that's a waste of money.
Speaker 3: But then stay offline.
Speaker 1: You have to go dark, you have to stay completely offline, and that sucks, right, like because you know that game's all over TikTok and if your algorithm is like, you know, I'm a Life a strange fan, the algorithm is like you love, Life is strange. Here's a bunch of spoilers, So I just want to say I don't support that. I think that's shitty. The game itself, I want to say, though, is quite fantastic.
Speaker 3: Okay, So is it gratuitously tragic?
Speaker 1: Yes, of course it is. Of course it is. That's the whole fucking thing about them. It's gratuitously tragic.
Speaker 3: Life istitously tragic.
Speaker 1: Life is gratuitously tragic. This is an interesting one because it is a kind of direct sequel to the first game because you play as the same character as the first game, Max, so it like ignoal you basically that first game has a major choice to pick at the end, and then you actually, in the opening of this game get to ignore which choice you picked, and then that kind of affects Max's you know, kind of background and history throughout the game, which is so it's interesting. So it's like and at first I wasn't sure if it was gonna be how I felt about it, because I really liked that first game. I like Max as a character and kind of like, coming back to that character so long, like you know, ten years later is a little like like, you know, are you gonna why are you doing this? What's the reason? Is it gonna be good? Is it gonna just come off as kind of like eh, especially because it's not the original development team that worked on the first game. It's the team that worked on True Colors, which I thought was okay until the ending, which I did not like at all. But so far, I'm actually very impressed with the way they handle bringing back Max as a character and just all the the plot beats in the writing. It's I'm I am am quite a fan.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: This game feels like it was made for me, John specifically because not only is it, hey, we brought back Max, you know, like you know, the character from one who I really like. Uh, it takes place in Vermont in the winter, and Max is a photographer, so a huge part of the game is taking photos and you actually get to like frame the photos, right, So I was like, wow, you just you're trying to hit all my buttons. Life is strange. I actually have been taking notes of of Vermont mentions the the an expert reacts, Yeah, I'm gonna do an expert react where I'm going to point to you. So the town is not real. It's called Lakeport. I'm like, that's not a real town. But the where's my notes? Like the strange notes? So okay, vermontisms. They mentioned Burlington, the town takes place in.
Speaker 3: Is that mentioned?
Speaker 1: They haven't mentioned cold Holocider yet, But I'll keep on a lookout Lake Champlain obviously because you know it's it's it's like Port. There's like Champlain right there.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: They have a poster with Champ the like Champlain Monster on it, so Champ mentioned uh. And they've mentioned Vermont State University, which is not UVM, which is the well known Vermont college. Vermont State University is the much smaller college in the capital of Montpelier. So those are my my isms. But I will say they didn't get the right fucking area code on the phone numbers. Well did they just eat like two?
Speaker 2: Did they just use five five five, because that's.
Speaker 1: Well no, they well they use five five five, but but the but the area code in front of the five five five like they use Oh, sure, okay, they use uh, well, they've used a couple, but the first one they used was six ' ten and I'm like, that's Pennsylvania. Get out of here with that. Vermont is aightoh two and and and it's and it's for the entire state because Vermont is that small that we have one area code for entire state. And I was like, you could just use ATO two. I don't know why you you're already using five five five, So maybe there's a reason why they.
Speaker 3: Can't use And have you seen aight o two at all?
Speaker 1: No? I saw ato. I saw six ten, and I saw like I think, I think I saw like eight hundred or something or but I didn't see eight o two. And I was like, you're not You're not using the Carcteria code. So points after that there has strange I wonder if there is something behind that. There might be, but then but why would But then why would you use six ten? That's a real that's a that's a real area code, you know, and you're already using five five five, so it doesn't matter. But maybe there's a reason. But yeah, anyway, not the correct area code, so points out for that one. Ah. Yeah. I I genuinely like the game so far. I think it's really good. It's it's interesting because, uh, you are it canomically takes place ten years later, so Max is twenty seven in the game, so you're not playing eighteen anymore, but you are a you have an artist residency at a college, so you are still like interacting with a lot of like college age kids. So it's still definitely has some of that that kind of I don't know, like tween writing, where you're like, it's an exaggerated way that kids talk. Sometimes there is there is a.
Speaker 3: I always have I'm curious about the writing because in the first game, and there was always uh when I first played it, I always got the impression that it was a bunch of.
Speaker 1: Dudes writing they think, yes, that's a common that's a common sentiment. I don't think this quite feels as bad as that, But you're there's definitely some stuff like Okay, so without getting into two spoilers, but the game does revolve around a murder, because uh, every life is strange game revolves around that, and there is a one of the characters is a girl who runs a true crime podcast, and you're like, great, cool, they do make her the fucking worst, Like you're just like, okay, I'm supposed to hate you got it, You're awful. But yeah, they you know, they do some of that kind of stuff where it's like a little hyper exaggerated, like if people really behave like this or talk like this, But it's like video game, it's a story. It's fine. So but yeah, I'm really impressed with it. I will say the first two episodes already I like more than the entirety of True Colors. The last game so already gets my steal of approval. But obviously, yeah, they can still fuck it up at the end, So I guess I'll reserve full judgment until the full game comes out and I've played the rest of it.
Speaker 3: Did you like Before the Storm?
Speaker 1: Oh? I hated Before the Storm?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: Good? Now. The only good thing about Before the Storm is the soundtrack, which is done by Daughters, which Georgia lovingly describes as kill yourself music, loving it, which is which is which is apt because that kind of the mood of that whole game. But no, I really do not like that game.
Speaker 3: Okay, So did you like? Okay, So there's life is Strange, there's Before the Storm, then there's two.
Speaker 1: There's two, and there's True Colors. I actually have not played two. I have I'll say that I have not played two.
Speaker 3: I know some people that's when I that's when I officially like tapped out, when I was like, this, okay is looking to just be the most cynical, gratuitously tragic thing to the point where it's like, I can't The game made me feel like if I leave my house and someone says hello to me, they're actually going to fucking kill me later, or or if they're the most racist person on the planet or the person on the planet. I've heard too, really really hard on that. And I know some people love to they say it's the best one. I haven't played it, but I really love the first one a lot, despite its flaws, Like that game is kind of special to me. I hated before the Storm, and I thought True Colors was solid, but I didn't like the way it came together. But so far, this is this is pretty high up there. This is giving me the similar good vibes that the first one gave me. So I'm impressed. You got how many episodes are their total?
Speaker 1: There's five?
Speaker 3: You got three more to go?
Speaker 1: Yeah, three more to.
Speaker 2: Go, and let me see, you have to wait until release.
Speaker 1: For those yes, yes, you have to wait to full release to check those out. Again, I really don't. Don't spend thirty bucks to get it early. That's don't do that. Save your money, save your money, Get off the internet. Avoid spoilers, which is hard because people just do not care and just openly talk about that stuff, which is kind of a bummer, like, you know, because these people who don't want to, you know, get spoiled. But whatever, that is what it is. Well, I think that's a podcast fellas saying anything.
Speaker 3: I mean, I.
Speaker 4: I saw Triple Feature last week. I saw three movies back to back in movie theater I don't game.
Speaker 2: To talk about, but.
Speaker 1: Okay, well we got we got five minutes before I have to like actually get out of here. So if we want to, if we want to, Jake, if you want to give me the like the fast version, all right.
Speaker 4: I saw the three movies with clowns, all back to back, the first one being Joker Fully of Do, which was pretty bad. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it was still pretty bad. I saw Terrifier too, and then Terrifier three in theaters.
Speaker 1: You were going to say that fucking ruled man it is so good.
Speaker 3: Just speaking, Oh, those those movies I've seen. I've seen enough of both of those, the first two, and I was like, man, these movies look like Ship but they know, they know exactly what they're what they are and who they're for. But I didn't. I forgot there was even a third one coming.
Speaker 4: The third one started to look a little too good. I think, you know, like the part of the charma of the first and second, especially the second, was like, I mean, the second obviously looks better than the first, but like it kind of strikes that balance of like it still looks like a dude just did this, you know. But yeah, speaking of gratuitous, those those movies are. But they're a lot of fun and way better than Joker, fully a do, which was trying to be the self serious, self important, like really thought provoking, like arc for this character that people liked a lot and the original and it fell flat. And then you know, just watching Art the clown Chainsaw people from like like Balls to Head was like it was pretty good.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 3: Did you watch them deliberately back to back?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was this double feature.
Speaker 4: A friend of mine who I saw Joker with we were just like, yeah, that sucked, and he's like, well, I have tickets to see Terror Fire two and three.
Speaker 2: I was like back to back and he's like yeah.
Speaker 3: I was like, okay, all right, so that that's actually kind of amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was great.
Speaker 3: It was great.
Speaker 4: It was like because the first movie or the second movie is like two hours and forty minutes for some reason, the second one's like ninety minutes, or the third one in ninety minutes.
Speaker 3: Wait Terrifire or Joker Terrifire.
Speaker 4: Two is like two hours and forty minutes. Yeah, it is a line fucking movie, but the second one is not. It's like the second one is like just a ninety minute or the third one. Sorry, I keep getting confused because we saw two and then three. We didn't see one, but the third one is just like ninety minutes and it's just like a horror movie that's really violent. And two is like this whole elaborate, like fucking story of like that this final girl who like self actualization, It goes places. This is kind of it's kind of wild. It's good if you got the stomach for it, it's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I do have to very briefly give a shout to The Substance, which I saw, like, it's fucking awesome. I don't don't look up anything about it, don't look at anything about it, just like I went to that movie. I didn't even know that movie existed, Like like Georgia was like, hey, I want to go see the Substance, so I was like, I have no idea where it is, let's go. And then we saw it and I was like, that was fucking great.
Speaker 3: I've seen the trailer and uh, not intentionally, it was when I want to go see.
Speaker 1: I heard the trailer doesn't actually show anything.
Speaker 3: Okay, but I want to see the Substance. I also recommend a movie about a horror movie about being about like fashion industry, which I'm sure Jake gloves that sarcastical.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think I know you're going to talk about, which.
Speaker 3: Is Neon Oh.
Speaker 1: Neon Demon is great.
Speaker 3: But I love Neon Demon. And that's one of the most uncomfortable movie theater experiences I've ever had. For one particular scene, and I will not discuss here.
Speaker 1: I will say when we leaving this, when The Substance finished, we were all just like, what a film Cinema's back And there were these people.
Speaker 3: Have been saying that for so long, by the way.
Speaker 1: But they were like these uh there are these uh no, that's really when cinema's back. But there were there were this this group of like girls like in their like early twenties who were like sitting next to us, and they you could just tell they did not like that movie at all. Like they like, they're just like, I get what I was trying to do. I just like you. I was. I was like, y'all need to develop some taste.
Speaker 3: So anyway, that's what you should have said at the theater of Megopolis. You should just stood up to the taste.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then everyone throws tomatoes at me.
Speaker 3: This is a and I swear to God we'll get out of here soon. But have either of you seen the weird clip of Trump swaying too?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Weird?
Speaker 3: That to me is real life, Mygopolis. I saw that. I was like, this scene could have existed. Anyways.
Speaker 1: Anyway, on that note, that's been a podcast, keeping it brief because we got we got things to do, places to be. Thank you so much, Kurt for hopping on a zoom call doing it remote. I know it's it's not ideal, but I appreciate anyway, Jake, thank you for being here.
Speaker 2: As always, happy to be here as always.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, and we'll see all next time, folks.
Speaker 3: Goodbye, Shiver, vanishing it hitchhiker.
Speaker 1: So I think they