Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to India. Today's special coverage from Davos at the World Economic Forum. It's day four now. Many years ago, a British prime minister said a week is a long time in politics. He's perhaps wrong, because in the age in which we live, that Trumpian era, even twenty four hours can be a very long time. Just about twenty four hours ago, the US President launched an extraordinary attack on his European allies, describing them, many of them as stupid. A few hours later, though, on truth social Donald Trump said that he wasn't imposing tariffs on Europe, that NATO was still very much there, and that he would in fact have a framework for a deal on Greenland in place. Today he's about to sign, we are told, the Board of Peace on Gaza. There's also talk of a meeting with Ukrainian President Zelenski and the possibility of some thaw in the ice between Russia and Ukraine. McDonald Trump, you never know what tomorrow brings. Therefore, to get a sense, today we are kicking off our special program with someone who's become an expert in predicting the future, even in these Trumpion times, these extraordinary times in which we live. Joining me now is Ian Bremer, President of Eurasia Group Political Scientists author. Good to have you, mister Bremmer on our special coverage. Give us your prediction for these extraordinary times. I know it's very tough. We had the World Economic Forum president where you were the other day, and he said we are living in the most challenging and complex time since nineteen forty five. Given all that, I still want you to put your thinking gap on and tell me what's going to happen over the next twelve months. What can we expect in this Trump your need on Nicks?
Speaker 2: Well, First, let's recognize that Trumpian era is what he wants you to call it. It's not very accurate. The United States is the most powerful country in the world. I accept that President Trump is not the most powerful leader. Xi Jinping is why is that Chizhiping doesn't have midterm elections, He doesn't have an independent judiciary. Trump is going to be there in three years. Xi Jinping is right, and so he's Trump is getting all the headlines, He's getting all the media attention. Xi Jinping is actually in the better position as a leader. In many ways. Mody is in better position as the leader, longer term, more consistent, allows Mody to push back more effectively than many of the European leaders, and we've seen that over the last few days. I guess one thing, I would say, one thing that we've learned from these three days that we've wasted on Greenland is that it turns out that even the Europeans are capable of hitting the Americans back effectively. Because this was Taco right, this was Trump chickening out. He said he was going to own Greenland. He threatened them there were going to be tariffs on all of the countries by February one that supported Denmark. He backed off of all of those things, and he got nothing for it. Why why did that happen?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: Number one, because the Europeans were prepared to actually put reciprocal tariffs in place and use the anti coercion instrument. Number two, because it turns out that there are issues back in the United States where there are real divides, including among Republicans, and this is one of them. In fact, Greenland was even worse for Trump than the Epstein files in polling minus thirty eight on Epstein, minus forty on Greenland, and the Republicans were telling him, we will not support you on this issue. So we had to back down, especially when the markets tanked. And then number three, and this is the most important thing. India is a partner and a friend of the United States. The Europeans are allies of the United States. That is different from being a partner and friend of President Trump. And when we see Paul that are being advanced by Trump that are in his interest but not in the interest of the United States, that has to be mentioned. And owning Greenland is not in the interests of the United States strategic cooperation more security with the Europeans. Sure, owning Greenland was an ego issue for President Trump personally, and that's why he failed. And that's an important thing for US underside.
Speaker 1: So was Greenland then a distraction, possibly from the Epstein files And are us saying therefore relations between the US and Europe will return back to some kind of normalcy ifn all that word can be used.
Speaker 2: No, No, what I'm saying is that Greenland was an opportunity for the Europeans to see that even divided with twenty seven countries and not a single state, it's not like India, It's not like China. That they were capable of drawing a red line and backing Trump down. But they have learned because I mean, let's face it, if it wasn't for Greenland, we would have been taught talking about the board to piece a lot more this week. And while Trump was pushing and treating the Europeans with contempt on Greenland, he was also inviting the Russian president and the Belarusian president to join the border piece. The countries that the Americans of the Europeans at war with. He didn't even discuss it with the Europeans in advance. So the Europeans do not feel like they can trust President Trump, and that is leading them to hedge with other countries. You know. President Trump has said that he wants credit for these eight wars that he has ended, but he deserves credit for the EU mercos Or trade deal. That trade deal was not going to happen until Trump became president and started pushing the Europeans and the Donroe doctrine South Americans around, and then they said, we need to do this deal. Mark Karney went to Beijing and he rebuilt a relationship with Chiji. Thing that had been in the toilet between Canada and China. Donald Trump deserves credit for that. I mean, if it wasn't for that, it wouldn't have happened. And we need to say that Trump get deserves credit for that.
Speaker 1: So Trump is actually enabling countries to sort of diversify and be risk away from America. But I just want to we'll come to the border piece in a moment, mister Bremer. Is the model of the story of the last three days that if you push back against Trump, the big bully Trump chickens out because there could be a lesson there for India as well. We've got a trade deal with the United States that is still hanging fire. That you don't seed to Donald Trump or to play to his ego. I mean, there are two ways to deal it appears with Donald Trump. Either you play with his ego as the pakistanis are doing, virtually suggesting that there's a red carpet rolled out for Donald Trump, or do you go the way certain other countries are doing. You mentioned Canada there. Markkhani was very clear that the Middle Powers have to come together at a moment like this and stop this coercion that America, without naming them, seems to be imposing on the world.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying is that there is a strategy to push back on Trump and succeed, but you have to have a leader that is willing and capable of actually executing on that policy. The obvious example of that is Shijiving, right. I mean, Trump hit the Chinese hard with tariffs Liberation Day. China did not pick up the phone. Instead, they retaliated, including on critical minerals, and basically showed the Americans without panicking. They showed the Americans, we will shut down your industries if you don't actually treat us with respect. What's happening now? Trump meets with Xi Jiving and Bussan. He calls it a G two, he gives parody, treats China as a peer, and now he's traveling to Beijing. It's going to be a much more successful meeting. So Shijin Ping was in the position that he could make that happen on Mark Carney thinks that he is in a stronger position and that's why he's pushing Trump around. But I saw in that speech that Trump gave here at Davos, he called out Mark Carney a number of times, and he said, you know, we're not going to tolerate that it is. This is a risk that Mark Carney is taking. I happen to think that it is a politically savvy move for him as Prime Minister. But it is possible that that risk will not pay off. It's possible that Canada will end up in a recession because of that risk and because of trumpetting back. Canada is not only a much smaller economy, but it's very dependent on the US economy. Now India, you've got a country that is growing by over seven percent. You've got a leader that's very popular with yes, a coalition government, but he's done very well in local elections recently Bihar and the rest right. And not only that, but the Indians are not that dependent on trade with the United States. India is useful to the US in its strategic relationship as a hedge against China with the Quad and the rest. So I believe that Mody is in one of the stronger positions to push back against Trump of most leaders in the world.
Speaker 1: Let's on that moment, come to what is the latest Trump headline, the Border Peace where he's effectively asking countries to put one billion dollars to become part of this board that's not exactly true.
Speaker 2: That's not exactly true.
Speaker 1: Frozen acid of one billion dollars.
Speaker 2: You can join no money, but if you want to be a permanent member as opposed to three years, then you have to pay a billion. No one has contributed that one billion to my knowledge that has accepted membership so far as you want to clarify that.
Speaker 1: So what should countries like India who've been offered to join the board of piece? In your of you do? Do you join hands with Donald Trump knowing that he could just change his mind in a month from now and move in an entirely different direction to what extent do countries like India. It comes back to the point of pushback. Do we indulge in Donald Trump when he comes back with an idea like the border piece on Gaza? Is it an idea worth pursuing In the first instance.
Speaker 2: The head of the World Bank is on it. You know, you've got the amoralties that have said that they're joining. The Israelis are joining, The Russians have not said they're joining yet, even though Trump said that Putin said was going to join. Frequently there's a gap there, but the friendship said they won't the Germans couldn't because the constitution actually forbids it. So I think that this is a less important question than how India handles their trade deal with the United States. This is not a matter of the Indians offering a billion dollars. This is not a permanent commitment. If it doesn't go well, the Indians could step away, just as the Italians joined Belton Road as a G seven country and then pulled right out. What I think is important is that this Board of Peace should not be used to undermine multilateralism of the United Nations, should not be used to break institutions that are important globally and that India benefits from. And then India participates it. And then if India decides to participate, they need to make sure that that participation is constructive and does not foster a long term development that will make everyone worse off.
Speaker 1: Let's look again at predictions. We are in Europe at the moment. Ukraine dominates a lot of the conversation. We still don't know at this moment while we are speaking, whether President Zelenski will meet Donald Trump here in Davos. Do you believe that the war could end in the next twelve months, or are we again heading potentially for a prolonged conflict that's already gone on really for.
Speaker 2: Four years, four years almost four years. It doesn't look like it's ending soon. President Trump understands he wants to cease fire, but he has more leverage over Ukraine, even though Ukraine is the side that the United States is fighting with, because the Ukrainians are weak, so he believes he can convince, he can force Zelensky to capitulate. And we've seen that with the critical minerals deal. We've seen that with accepting a ceasefire with no preconditions. We've seen that with a willingness maybe even to withdraw from some of the presently Ukrainian occupied territories of Ukraine to make them demilitarized. We've seen that with even Zelenski willing to talk about elections while the war is going on. All of those are things he would not do under Biden, but Trump has forced him to. How has Putin conceded on anything? What has Putin offered? The United States has put a little bit of pressure on, not like Ukraine, they put a little pressure on. But Putin sees in his view that holding on longer and forcing the weaker Ukrainians to continue to capitulate while driving wedges between the United States and Europe and NATO is a stronger play for Russia. He believes they can wait the Ukrainians, the Americans, the Europeans out, and so far that's been a smart move on his part.
Speaker 1: So you're saying no immediate end to the conflict in Ukraine. Today, the German Chancellor Fredrick Mrtz said the world is seeing the final days of Iran's regime predictions for that part of the world. Do you see the Iranian regime being toppled in the in the near future? I mean, it almost seemed that because Trump did what he did in Venezuela very effect did a regime change, not a regime change. Removed the president, removed an individual and has allowed his vice president to continue, but and spoke more of oil than democracy in Venezuela, that he could do the same in it on it is clearly not Venezuela. How do you see it on playing out?
Speaker 2: So I was I have to say Chancellor Mertz first said it was about a week and a half ago. He said that he thought that the Iranian regime was on its last days or weeks. I was quite startled by that. There's no intelligence on the ground that implies that. I mean, the demonstrations at that point were already getting much weaker. The Iranian regime is willing and capable to repress with great force. And there were no breaches, no breaks within the regime that I could see, either within the IRGC, the revolution of GUARDCOREP, the besiege, the paramilitary groups that carry out most of the actual repression. I didn't see it. With the state media, not with telecommunication and the internet that was all shut down. I didn't see it. And so yes, the United States might well engage in further strikes against Iran. But I just saw Steve Whitcoff, the principal negotiator on many of these issues, came out and he said, look, you know, even after the Iranians have killed thousands of kill thousands of civilians, he said, well, maybe we can negotiate with it. If they're willing to negotiate, maybe we can get something done. So I don't see. I would love to see, I'd love to be wrong, but I don't think that in the near term, this Islamic Republic is about to collapse.
Speaker 1: So, in conclusion the big worldview are we heading As the German Chancellor again says, it's the end of the old order as we knew it. There is a new world order there, if there is one. What is the shape of this new world order? I keep hearing word like multipolar world order G two China and America. What is this new world order that's emerging out of this scale?
Speaker 2: So what I called it fifteen years ago was a G zero world I said that as the as it means well, as the United States withdraws from leadership of its own global order with its allies, that no other country or group of countries are capable and willing of replacing the United States. So you will have a period of time of a geopolitical recession, a bus cycle where it is MESSI where it is chaotic, where there is a lot of impunity. And I see emerging three very different kinds of global orders. In the economic space, the world is already very multipolar. The Europeans are showing that with their trade competencies. The Chinese showed this to Trump very clearly. The US is clearly a major poll India is emerging very rapidly it's multipolar, but in the security order it's still very unipolar. If the United States wants to do something, very few people can stop them. No one else can project power like that globally. And then in the technology space, actually China dominates it as a government, but in the West it's dominated not by governments, it's dominated by companies. It's becoming increasingly technopolar, and so these three emerging orders are kind of jostling side by side in different spaces at the same time.
Speaker 1: It's fascinating you said that about technopolar world because you stirred a bit of a controversy by suggesting that India was a laggard when it came to AI, which is the other big buzzword here in Davos. Not what I said, it was suggested. I mean, that's what we heard that Ian Bremer said India is a laggard when it comes to Ian.
Speaker 2: Bremer said that there are two countries that are leading in the world on AI, the United States and China. This is obvious, it is a fact. It is true. India is doing quite well compared to its economic status and relative power as developing AI, especially human capacity, talent, and increasingly investment, even legal framework. But but you cannot compare the ability to attract capital and impact outcomes of India to the US and China today and AI.
Speaker 1: So therefore, in this world of various polarities economic, political, and technology netwhere does India stand? How should India see itself as we go ahead to twenty twenty six? What do you see India's immediate twelve month timeline. I'm not even looking beyond fluster.
Speaker 2: As you said at the beginning, India's a middle power. It's very important. It's stable. And the fact that India has leadership that is more consolidated and popular than leadership in almost any other democracy around the world. Only Mexico really has similarity among larger countries means that India is capable of pushing back in ways that other countries are not. That helps India. Consistent leadership over time is something that is lacking in the world today. India looks very stable. It's a great growth story. But still the Americans and the Chinese are dominating most of the common When you talk to the big players here who are like allocating capra all over the world, and they say, we don't trust the United States so much anymore. What are they talking about reallocating to China Because China has the market size and China has the technology. India is not in that conversation at this point.
Speaker 1: Which is interesting because someone told me that Donald Trump decided that he wanted to make America great again. He's ended up making China looking great again.
Speaker 2: He is There's no question that Donald Trump is making China great again.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, Ian Brema for giving us this wonderful worldview in twenty minutes about where we stand. I mean, it's all the chaos around us. I appreciate you breaking it down for us so sussantly. Thank you very much. Good to have you here on India today at the Davos Summit. Thank you Ian Bremer at the World Economic Forum. One of the finest minds that you can get when it comes to breaking down the world order as it stands. Raj Deep sundays I in Davos for India Today