Speaker 1: Mac at the screening of Beetlejuice? Were you unsettled sitting next to someone dressed as Beetlejuice?
Speaker 2: So you were you were very perturbed by this. He wasn't in my periff so I was not bothered by it. It didn't even really affect me whatsoever. But you you mentioned it a couple times.
Speaker 1: Well, it was the two of us, not only us, but it was a screening for the general audience. But there was a fella dressed I would say his costume and facial makeup better than Keaton in the movie, and he was sitting on the edge of his seat watching with such passion as if he had not seen the movie yet. And I'm like, this is kind of weird.
Speaker 2: Well, clearly, and there was also a person dressed up as Bob in the lobby as well. Clearly these two folks were paid by or put on by the production company who never runs because maybe we're taking photos with them as well.
Speaker 1: But I ask you this question, though, what movie would you like to see with someone dressed just as the main character sitting next to you? And then also the other way.
Speaker 2: Around, anything with Sydney Sweeney.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, that's that's not that. But you want someone to dressed exactly like Sidney Sweeney. I'm saying more of a character.
Speaker 2: Yeah whatever, whatever the name of that movie is coming up with her and Anna da Armis Eden or something like that.
Speaker 3: That one.
Speaker 1: Okay, have you ever seen a Star Wars movie with someone dressed as a Star Wars sitting next to you?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: This is We talked about this a little bit and it was weird because it was both the plebs and some of the folks that were press were dressed in were like Beetlejuice themed or in actual costumes. And to me, again, this goes along with the applause during movies.
Speaker 3: What is that for?
Speaker 2: Is that you did that just for an Instagram post?
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't really understand because you hypothetically and this is my whole thing with women and heels and the crazy shit they wear. You're just doing it to impress other women and other people. What's the real end game there? Well?
Speaker 1: I can speak as someone. I don't think I've ever done cosplay for a con or for a fan expo, but my wife one year went as wonder Woman, but specifically the scene where Wonder Woman wears a blue dress with the sword along her back, and she got so many compliments. She felt so good about herself. So I can see that as being the reason.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, fair enough, they just need a little little ego boost. I do recall that, And that was a nice little niche costume there. Yeah, I'll never do it. I'll never dress up for screening themed I like, if I go to see a comic book movie and I have a T shirt that references that character, I'll wear that.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to dress up like the character.
Speaker 1: One Go three, Yeah, job three, King of Queen Mill Street.
Speaker 2: Enter time, Goo, and I am Mac.
Speaker 1: And we are the hosts with the most Have I said that yet?
Speaker 2: Today we are discussing the latest entry into the BCU.
Speaker 3: That's right, Beetlejuice.
Speaker 1: Beetlejuice nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know the Beetlejuice Cinematic Universe. There, Goo, one might say beetle goose.
Speaker 1: Uh, that's okay, it's not that good, because that's how he spells his name. It's very similar.
Speaker 3: That is true.
Speaker 2: That is true, of course, if you are a listener to this program. We reviewed the first movie last week as part of prep for this and because Goo loves it so much. I do, and I believe you gave it thirty nine hod thirty nine.
Speaker 1: It's I just couldn't settle on forty that was my main thing. But it's it's in that upper tier of being a super creative, fun movie.
Speaker 2: And I was thirty four thirty five, really love the movie as a kid holds up pretty well, pretty memorable movie.
Speaker 3: So that's that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Go. This movie is projected to make over one hundred million dollars on its opening weekend, which is more than the first movie made in its whole run. And to me, that's pretty surprising.
Speaker 1: Well, it's nostalgia playing into it. It's people who have over the years found these characters and loved these characters. It's also you know, it's an ip that people know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess that's true.
Speaker 2: I just you never hear anyone talk or reference Beetlejuice really unless it's you, and so I'm just so much talking to I'm just surprised at how many people coming out of the woodwork for this. This was made on one hundred million dollar budget production budget, maybe double that, like you always say for advertising, But I think this is trackinging to make like probably five hundred million, if not more.
Speaker 3: So it's gonna make a lot of money.
Speaker 1: I also didn't be surprised if the advertising budget on this is more than the one hundred million yeap. I would tend to agree with because they are advertising the shit out of it.
Speaker 3: We've seen a lot of it these last couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: I actually just this morning heard a radio ad goe yeah, and they said the movie movie was starring why No Ryder and Jenna Ortega zero mentioned of Michael Keaton or Katherine O'Hara, who O'Hara I would argue, is for sure the bigger star than WYOA.
Speaker 3: Ryder Jenna Ortega I get.
Speaker 1: I would also say for this movie, the standout star the one that I would point to as the best character in the movie. And obviously that's not what you're selling it on, but it is Catherine O'Hara.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I know Whyona has Stranger Things, and that's one of the biggest shows on the planet.
Speaker 3: But I think more people.
Speaker 2: Would argue that Katherine O'Hara and her run and Shit's Creek, Yes, makes her more famous than Whya from Strangers.
Speaker 1: And I would even say that whoever said, Okay, we need to let Catherine O'Hara be more like her Cara or from shitz Creek did the right thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I agree, that was a great move, and she is certainly a standout character in this movie.
Speaker 3: Gooes Beetlejuice.
Speaker 2: Beetlejuice is a PG thirteen comedy fantasy in a horror movie sub genres here dark comedy, dark fantasy, supernatural horror. I will say, in relation to the first movie, I would say it is much less frightening than the first movie.
Speaker 1: This is way more of a comedy and it's trying to be Yeah.
Speaker 2: It really leans into the fun and the high jinks of the possibilities of the afterlife, whereas the first movie just gave you a little bit that and it was more grounded, as grounded as a ghost story could be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I would say, percentage wise, I think this is more like the animated series than it is the first movie.
Speaker 2: I will say, though, and we will talk about this obviously at length. I don't really know how you could make a sequel and it not be like this. You can make some changes, but I feel like this this was naturally the path they had to.
Speaker 1: Go there are a couple things, and it might be nitpicky, or it might just be me really preferring something from the first movie. That might take this one down a peg. But I think as a legacy sequel, as a you would call it a comedy legacy sequel, those are often terrible.
Speaker 3: This is pretty good, yeah, quite good. In the grand scheme of twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Movies, I'd say it's up there in that's in part because twenty twenty four hasn't been great.
Speaker 1: I think it's in that batch of movies and that third tier for me.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, well that's a nice big market tease.
Speaker 3: Goo.
Speaker 2: Yes, this movie has a run time of one hundred and four minutes. It honestly might have even been a little lighter of that, you know, taking credits out. The pacing was great. Pacing might be the best thing about this movie.
Speaker 1: Would you say that it's better pace than the first movie?
Speaker 3: For sure? For sure?
Speaker 1: Is? I don't know, Because I like the build up of the first movie. This one didn't really have a build up.
Speaker 2: No, you just jump you're in from just jump right in and there's no.
Speaker 3: Real wasted moments.
Speaker 2: It's you know, they jump around there's no real down time, there's no real bore here.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's buzzing' the whole time.
Speaker 1: Well, I think you could argue that some of the stuff that they think is fun might not be that fun. But it is them doing fun, it is them attempting fun. Though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that might be the difference between you and I on this one. Good.
Speaker 2: On Roddy T's this has seventy seven percent from the critics. Obviously, no audience score yet on Metacritic a sixty three, so they are generally liking this the general thumbs up compared to the first one just a little behind a eighty two percent and a seventy one, So the critics in general are liking it, just a little less than the first one. For the audience score there, I'm guessing this is gonna be around ninety percent.
Speaker 3: I think most people I.
Speaker 1: Would guess around there, unless it's you know, someone who's macabre and they're saying this is not as spooky as I member, because you know, the people that would do that are from Transylvania, right, it's just Draculas saying that.
Speaker 3: Of course, of course, and they make a reference who did this?
Speaker 1: Who did this to my movie, Goude.
Speaker 2: This movie is written by the writing team of Alfred go Goff.
Speaker 3: I don't know how you would pronounce that, and Miles Malar.
Speaker 2: These two were behind Lethal Weapon four, Shanghai Noon and Knights, the team behind Smallville, Spider Man two, Herbie fully Loaded. That's the Lindsay Lowhand one.
Speaker 1: Also Michael Keaton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, the Mummy, Tomb of the Dragon Emperor by.
Speaker 1: Far the West one.
Speaker 3: What unless you include the Tom Cruise one in that conversation.
Speaker 2: Also the writing team on Wednesday obviously in upcoming here Goo, they're making Shanghai Don the third movie, so that's that's coming. Obviously, still writing Wednesday. The other writer on this movie is Seth Graham Smith. You would know him from Dark Shadows, That Terrible, Johnny Johnny.
Speaker 1: Johnny Depp and also Tim Burton. Yep, yep, question for you. I know that you might have already mentioned this. So Metacritic was a sixty three. Sixty three is pretty good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sixty three.
Speaker 2: I would say the sixties are good, The seventies are really good, eighties are great, perfect, the fifties are like the middle stuff in metacritics. Okay, also go Seth Graham Smith, Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter. I know that's one of your favorites. It is, and also the Lego Batman movie, so very interesting writing career for him. Upcoming for him is Now You See Me three and also an untitled Star Trek prequel.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, so that's that's that.
Speaker 2: Of course, this movie is directed by Tim Burton, M Burton. We've discussed Burton at length his most recent stuff. His most recent movie prior to this was Dumbo, which sucked, and he's obviously doing.
Speaker 1: What But how about you say what he's known for, not just his recent shit.
Speaker 2: No, no, everyone knows all that. Everyone knows Tim Burton. If you're listening to a beetlejuice beatle.
Speaker 1: Juice, you know what's crazy. Anyway, I need to know the rules. Tim Burton just got his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. How do they determine when and why someone gets a star on the Walk of Fame.
Speaker 2: I feel like you got to be in the industry, on the scene for twenty twenty five years, and then from there they'll consider you.
Speaker 1: I see younger stars get their thing like every single week. It's just like it's it's almost that random, like they put, I'm not entirely sure, That's why I'm asking you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know either.
Speaker 1: I'm sure because Burton probably should have had his done what like in the mid nineties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but at the end he's nine years into his career.
Speaker 1: He was always nine years old.
Speaker 2: So like like if you if you were to give m Night one four years in and then the next twenty years was gonna suck.
Speaker 1: I mean, Ed Knight's probably still gonna get one in like ten fifteen years. Gotta but like a bad, bad excuse bad example.
Speaker 2: Goose synopsis for Beetlejuice Beetlejuice. After a family tragedy, three generations of the Deet's family return home to Winter River, still haunted by Beetlejuice. Livia's life is turned upside down when her teenage daughter Astroid accidentally opens the portal to the afterlife.
Speaker 1: So not to say what the tragedy is, I thought hilarious. I thought that tragedy might have been the funniest thing of the movie.
Speaker 3: YEP, so I was not privy to this information.
Speaker 2: If you didn't listen to our Beetlejuice episode, you might not be as well. The treatment of Charles Here, who was Delia's husband in the first one, played by Jeffrey Jones.
Speaker 3: Is that his name?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Apparently, he begs, well, we.
Speaker 1: Don't need we don't need to say what but give it a google.
Speaker 2: No, No, he's a he's a convicted pedo. So they had to confront that.
Speaker 1: I don't know if YouTube was you know, the blackballs for saying that, and.
Speaker 2: I thought they handled it well. They didn't completely avoid it. They turned the character into a punchline, which was I thought a great thing because you could not address his character at the very least.
Speaker 3: So I enjoyed that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, goot, this movie stars not Jeffrey Jones but Michael Keaton as Beetlejuice.
Speaker 3: Why not a rider? Oh fuck it up again?
Speaker 2: Why not a Rider as Lydia Deats, Catherine O'Hara as Delia Deats, Jenna Otaga, Justin Thareu as Rory, Willem Dafoe as Wolf Jackson, Monica Blucci is Dolores, and Arthur Conti as Jeremy. Of course, go as always well as most Tim Burton films are. It was scored by Danny Elfman and they brought back, obviously the iconic beetlejuice theme for the opening credits here, which I love. It's one of the best ones I think he's ever done. And once again go. They filmed some of the exterior shots here in Corinth, Vermont, which is the real town. The fictional town of course, it is Winter River, and the neighborhood scenes go where Tenor Ortega is sort of riding our bike around and we see some homes. Those are actually filmed in Melros mess.
Speaker 1: It's pretty cool. I like, good, I'm actually I'm pretty much there right now. That's where I am.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're not too far.
Speaker 2: I will say this about Melrose, which is similar to Maldon real pain in they asked to get to no direct route, always traffic. You can't just take one road and get there.
Speaker 1: I'll also say this when it lists that Michael Keaton is the star of the movie more so than the first movie.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's for sure. That is definitely for sure.
Speaker 2: They feature him more and more consistently throughout. The percentage is maybe only a little bit higher, but he is more central to everything that's going on as well.
Speaker 1: And do you think that maybe he was toned down a bit because he is on the screen so much, and you know, his energy in the first movie might be too much if he's in for a half an hour or thirty five minutes.
Speaker 2: I just think, you know, over the years, hypothetically here in that universe, you know he's changed a little bit. I didn't have issue with Keaton. I had issue with Ryder. In Lydia, I had issue. I'm not saying like big issue. I just feel like the character didn't feel the same with Beatle Juice. He didn't have that same manic energy to him. And then for Lydia, it's almost like whoever wrote the character or even her kind of shaped it around the actress that she is now as opposed to who that character was in the first movie. And you can argue she's a teenager in the first movie. They'll evolve, but she's almost just too much Wanona Ryder in this.
Speaker 3: I don't agree on Beatle Jews.
Speaker 2: He felt mostly the same, but Lydia felt like, uh, and this is I honestly think this is more a why Nona than it is the writing. She was just playing Joyce Buyers. Yeah, that's who she was in this, and it.
Speaker 3: Didn't feel like Lydia at all.
Speaker 2: More more in the third act she felt more like that, but it didn't feel like Lydia deats. And that's probably my biggest complaint about this movie.
Speaker 1: Right, Like we said, people evolved in their life, people change, but I feel like that character wouldn't.
Speaker 2: Especially how they frame her life in this movie, how she's become this paranormal expert, and that's it's very central to what she's doing. Yeah, because you know, of course, the first movie for her story sort of ends in a high note. But it just didn't give for me. And maybe maybe we're being pessimistic here, but I also don't think, why not a writer is that good of an actress?
Speaker 1: How dare you?
Speaker 2: Maybe that's part.
Speaker 1: Of it too, how dare you?
Speaker 2: Uh good? We'll get into the gauntlet pretty quick here. I don't think there's a ton to discuss about the story, and maybe that is to its But this movie, to me, was a ton of fun, more fun than I had expected, more fun than I had hoped for. I laughed throughout the whole thing. It was funnier, It was fun. This movie is just what fun factor is made for.
Speaker 1: So I'm not sure how much we can talk about the story outside of like the spoiler stuff in there, because it does spend way more time in the afterlife. I do think that some of the stuff in the real world does drag a little bit. But like I said earlier, I think a huge win for this movie is knowing that Catherine O'Hara is a fucking superstar and just let her do her thing right to her strengths. And they did that. They even had a great Easter egg from Shit's Creek in this movie that was hilarious also, and we'll talk about it in a second. But like Willem Dafoe understood the assignment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the newcomers were very strong here. Obviously you knew Jenna wor Taker was going to be. Willem Defoe's character was phenomenal. And I also love Justin Threau. I don't think you.
Speaker 1: I didn't like him at all, loved it. I thought that character sucked. I thought that was a one note, paper thin character.
Speaker 3: I really enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: I did not like it. And then my final note here it says carnitas, white rice, refried beans, Picko deigaio, guacamole, and hot sauce.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you motherfucker all you do, all you do all day is eat burritos in the theater. I swear you're just here for the burritos.
Speaker 1: I hate this podcast. I hate going to the movies. I hate watching movies. Why do I do it so I can eat a burrito?
Speaker 3: Burritos?
Speaker 1: What shall we get into the gauntlet?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's do it all right.
Speaker 1: Let's start with fun factor and if nothing else, the movie is fun and like I said earlier, it felt a lot like the animated series where it's the Misadventures of Beetlejuice.
Speaker 2: Yeah. To me, extremely high fun factor, maybe the most fun movie of the year. They really leaned into the fun and silliness and the promises or expectations one might have for the afterlife stuff. But with that they also kind of got away from some of the horror and darkness that the first one provided.
Speaker 1: Satisfactor. I'm yes and no because I was satisfied by the humor in this movie, but I wasn't satisfied by two of the legacy characters that was given to me. I also, I love the tone of the original movie and the tone it isn't quite there with this one.
Speaker 2: I agree, the tones different Again, I disagree about Heaton's Beetlejuice, but I fully wholeheartedly agree about Wainona. But to me, and I said this leading up, all I really wanted out of this movie was spending more time the afterlife and the high jinks and the fun we could have there, and this delivered on that. So this was pretty satisfying for me.
Speaker 1: Also, Otho Carrots sign facing him over justin.
Speaker 3: Throw Otho is a great character.
Speaker 2: We need.
Speaker 1: We needed a little Otho here. We needed to figure that out.
Speaker 2: It would have been nice if we saw him at the beginning when we're when we're in Delia's art.
Speaker 1: Studio, or even say if he died, you know, we see him in the afterlife sure decorating her. That'd be a great little easter.
Speaker 3: That guy dead in real life.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'm not sure that's something that we should have looked up. Eh boor omitor not boring, but I wanted a Beatle build up and we didn't get the Beatle build up.
Speaker 3: Big bad Beetleborgs.
Speaker 2: Uh. The pacing is great in this movie. They don't waste time. I suppose you could make the argument that you kind of have is in that some of the stuff they.
Speaker 3: Attempt to do didn't quite hit. But there's no real waste of time in this movie.
Speaker 1: Oh, Equator, It's better than aqua Man for sure. Oh sorry, what's it called?
Speaker 2: Oh uh uh w w quait water Aworld, quarter World.
Speaker 3: There we go.
Speaker 1: It's better than water World.
Speaker 3: It is. It is better than, unfortunately better than the water World.
Speaker 1: Halloween. Will this movie wane over time? It's a spooky movie, so Halloween fits perfectly. But yes, maybe I'm not sure the staying power. Maybe, like I'm not sure the rewatchability of this movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm having a tough time with this one because it is really fun, but it's probably a bit lesser of a story and more pizazz, more bells and whistles. And I feel like maybe the first one is more memorable because it was so different at the time, so it this one may not hold up as well.
Speaker 1: So this actually works well with the next one here, which is pants Tense City Excite, bike Mania. And I don't think this movie, outside of a tweet, truly has that Beetlejuice one pants tent moment of its showtime or him you know, step right up, step right up like that big Beatle Juice pants tent. It doesn't really have that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you could argue that kind of final scene is what is what they built it up for, like kind of what you're looking for and talking about there, but it probably wasn't as good as the couple scenes in the first movie. Yeah. I guess this is a spoiler or some but there's a twist in this movie that I didn't see coming and they foreshadowed it and I thought it was great.
Speaker 1: I was really so to another level mad at myself when it happened. I'm like, it was so fucking obvious. Really cute idiot, you dummy, you stupid idiot. When life gives you plemings, you make plemonade and Mac. You have two candidates here, and I'm gonna go with Catherine O'Hara, who I think truly she's in more of the movie and I think that she does carry the comedy of the movie.
Speaker 2: Yes, she's more of a main character, which is why I don't know she quite qualifies.
Speaker 3: But she did every scene she was in.
Speaker 2: She was great and to me, like she wasn't as insane as Morris shit is It was like dialed Batchel's.
Speaker 1: Yes, Delia and Mora.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that if you're looking for a new character that just popped in here and there. Williem Dafoe was so good in this movie. Made me laugh almost every time he talked.
Speaker 1: Either Willem Dafoe or William Dafoe's secretary. Yes, she was just from coffee and she had one line. That's it. Every time she was great. Keep you got to keep it real, Max credit Union.
Speaker 2: I got to give Tim Burton credit here, and I have been a somewhat vocal critic of him over the last few years. Him pulling off a sequel thirty six late thirty six years later is truly impressive, especially considering it's a comedy sequel and that almost never happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think you do have to put the spotlight on the word comedy because comed legacy sequels are generally terrible. So this movie deserves credit for not being terrible. Even if you don't think it's the greatest thing in the world, it still deserves credit for being a very watchable movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in that respect, it's pretty fucking high on the list of comedy sequels.
Speaker 3: It's it's up there for one of the.
Speaker 1: Best comedy sequels in general. You're right, and I would even so. I think legacy sequel wise, like Top Gun Maverick is like, nothing's gonna touch that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's sort of that set the new bar, right.
Speaker 1: I really enjoyed Twisters. You didn't like it as much.
Speaker 3: It was good.
Speaker 1: I think that the reason why I might come in lower on this is just my love for the first movie. As like Twister, you remember it. No one loved the first Twister. Yeah, people do love the first Top Gun. I don't really care for the first Top Gun.
Speaker 3: I agree with you on that one.
Speaker 1: So when you get something as good as Top Gun Maverick, you're like, what in the world, how did they do this?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: In the hell?
Speaker 1: For those of you tarty to the Mac and Goo party, we rate everything on a forty hot dog rating system, and Mac I once again Catherine O'Hara is the best, and they let her kill it. Willem Dafoe understood the assignment. But then I'm not super disappointed in Beetlejuice. I think that Keaton as Beetlejuice just doesn't have the same energy that he does in the first one. He doesn't have the same aura as well. Where Juice, thank you, He doesn't have the same aura as well. Where in the first one he's feared by everybody, by ghosts, by humans alike, in this one he's just kind of there. He's kind of hanging out, and no one has an issue with that. So I'm curious. Was the first one overdone? Was this one not done enough? Who knows, but Lydia dits not. I don't know. I don't think that Winona Ryder as this character is the same person, whether that's written, acted, or directed that way. I wanted more beetlejuice hauntings because that also in the first one. I love those. I love the stop motion haunt things, especially that final one. And then I thought this was too soundtrack reliant, as opposed to the first movie, where they really played with the score and they let Danny Elfman do more with it. I felt like they didn't do that as much in this movie.
Speaker 2: Some of that might be budget related in relation to that first one and now possibly.
Speaker 1: So this is really tough for me because I do think that it's a pretty good comedy sequel. I mean, it's a good comedy sequel. When you look at comedy sequels in general, you gotta look at a Bell Curve Legacy sequel. Wise, i'd put it below the some of the recent great ones that have come out. I wasn't wowed. I think that this one didn't have the same creativity that you sit back and go, WHOA, that's fucking crazy. This was I kept I've always said, now, that's what I call music when I'm watching a movie. I don't know. I wanted them to do like updated creative stuff with this movie, and I don't think they did that. Twenty nine Hot Ducks.
Speaker 2: Wow, okay, all right, wow, Yeah, you are lower.
Speaker 3: On it than I.
Speaker 2: And that's almost a full ten dogs lower than the first one for you. Yes to me. Gu the new additions were all great, to which degree you can discuss or Taga, Threau and Defoe. Really enjoyed each of them and what they brought to the movie. Again, didn't like the portrayal of Lydia deets here, However, I did like the way they framed her and what she became. I liked that she's one of those paranormal TV investigators that hit for me.
Speaker 3: I enjoyed that.
Speaker 2: Again, it really just felt like she was playing Joyce Buyers. Maybe you could argue Joyce Byers is a riff off of Lydia in the first place, but that's an argument for a different day. The treatment of Charles Deets and this was perfect. Yeah, you know, the whole the way his grave is shaped. Once I finally realized that twenty minutes later that I should have.
Speaker 1: I was going to point it out to you in the theater, like when he first saw it. I was in a point to be like, hey, you that, but I was like, no, Mac probably has eyes.
Speaker 3: I was too.
Speaker 2: I think I was too concentrated on the translucent aspect to understand the shape.
Speaker 1: Because one hour in Mac you know, touched my shoulder and said, hey, did you notice this, and I'm like, yes.
Speaker 3: No, I said, I just noticed. I know you had already.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Also, there is a choir version of Dayo in here, the Harry Belafond that was really f Yes, that fucking killed me.
Speaker 3: That was amazing.
Speaker 2: So that's all tied into the Charles stuff. We haven't talked about this yet. Monica Balucci another addition to this movie. I guess you could argue she was the worst edition. Her whole storyline wasn't great. They just sort of used it as a vehicle for Beetlejuice's motivations.
Speaker 3: Yes, and that was fine. It was good enough but not great.
Speaker 1: But I did like the backstory of the two. I thought that was a pretty funny scene.
Speaker 2: That was good. That was definitely good, Gou. I thoroughly enjoyed the twist in this movie. Again, maybe we are two stupid idiots that should have picked up on it, but to me, it's what took the movie to like another level. And really it was like a ooh, no shit type like.
Speaker 1: I almost tore the chair in front of me and threw it off the wall. I was so mad at myself.
Speaker 3: Yeah it was. It was nice.
Speaker 2: And if that's a spoiler for you, I apologize. But whatever, it's a fucking it's a sequel coming out thirty six years later.
Speaker 1: Go.
Speaker 3: This movie was a pleasant surprise.
Speaker 2: I think it's the only real way, the only real path they could have made this sequel.
Speaker 3: The pacing was great.
Speaker 2: I laughed. I was surprised, the characters were enjoyable. The afterlife stuff was exactly what I wanted.
Speaker 3: I have this at.
Speaker 2: Thirty four hot dogs. Gu for reference, I gave the first one thirty four to thirty five, so maybe just a smidge under but a completely different journey, that's for sure. It's my number five movie of twenty twenty four. It's it's up there, and again, I think twenty twenty four hasn't been great. Uh, but this is in the conversation in that top five area.
Speaker 1: Shall we spoil?
Speaker 3: Let's do it.
Speaker 1: Spoiler spoiler spoiler, Let's get to the death of Charles. I love that they had the false death boat two or three times and then it ended with him being eaten by a shark.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I loved the claymation part too, so there was no wondering who's gonna play this guy or is that so?
Speaker 3: And so they just went with a claymation thing. And then in the.
Speaker 2: Afterlife he's a headless character, which was great. Yeah, the treatment of that character was absolutely perfect. But goot, yes, the thing we need to discuss I think we've been teasing here.
Speaker 3: The twist.
Speaker 2: The twist in this movie is that the boy that Jenna Ortega meets Jeremy.
Speaker 3: He's a really bad guy.
Speaker 1: He is a.
Speaker 2: Really bad guy, and he's a ghost. He's a ghost.
Speaker 3: We're introduced to him.
Speaker 2: I guess maybe in the beginning of the second act and he is this sort of love interest of Astroid. You know, they're like sixteen ish in that area, and he seems like he's a nice boy, a bit of a nerd, dork off the beaten path the way Asterroid and the Deats is are. Yeah, so they connect and you're sort of I will say this, I thought first before we got the twist, the whole little love story thing between them was stupid. I didn't really care for it. But and the twist ramps it up where you and Jenna Ortega Astroid find out at the same time that he's a ghost. It was foreshadowed, however, because he had the handbook for the recently Deceased, and he says he bought it like a yard sale, and then you're thinking, oh, maybe he has the Maitland's book. But then you're like, wait a second, once you think it through, that book only exists in the afterlife for four dead people. So that was the giveaway that you and I missed.
Speaker 1: Yes, when I was so mad, I'm like, he had the book and he kept all of his albums were from the nineties too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's it's it's so true. It was really well done. It's just it took it up to another level. And on top of that, you know his whole plot because he's a bad guy, it turns out he's not. He didn't die by accident. He killed his parents, and as a result of the police pursuit, he breaks his neck and dies, and so you're like, oh shit, that's a secondary thing here. And the third thing, which is maybe was a surprise for some, but this was overly foreshadowed, is the father of Astroid had died previously, and they talked about it a couple of times. We knew he was gonna play, so.
Speaker 1: You knew he was gonna pop up in the Afterlife.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I sort of liked how they handled that as well.
Speaker 1: Did you like the scene where Beetlejuice stamps the passport with a no fucking way.
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: That, Although you think about it, Beetlejuice equally, if not worst guy. So he's there playing the hero, but he's also a terrible person. Ghosts.
Speaker 2: There must be a list of no nos for the afterlife people, because he gets sent like straight to hell.
Speaker 1: There, I know, But Beetlejuice, I think at the end of the first movie was trying to do the same thing to Lydia. No, he's just trying to marry her, Yeah, to get himself like he was willing to do anything to get out of the afterlife, much like this.
Speaker 2: As he's doing again in this one, which was fine, But the whole soul swapping and leaving a live person in the afterlife, that's probably a no no.
Speaker 1: But Beatle Jew's probably said to himself, Oh, I should have tried that. Yeah, those two are common Pete, That's what I'm saying. They're the same.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think Beetlejuice murdered anyone other than the woman that was killing him.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure. I'm I feel like Beatle just might have murdered. He was a grave robber.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but in his regular life though, I don't think he actually murdered anyone.
Speaker 3: And this person murdered two people.
Speaker 1: And anyone go to Beetlejuice Wikipedia and let us know if Beetlejuice murdered.
Speaker 2: Uh goot.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Another really funny thing in here was Danny DeVito playing a janitor in the afterlife who had apparently killed himself by drinking like anti freezer.
Speaker 1: And he was playing fucking Frank Reynolds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was. He was playing in Frank Reynolds slash Penguin. It was a combination of.
Speaker 1: Just drinking and just dribbling all over himself.
Speaker 3: I really enjoyed that.
Speaker 2: Another little thing, which was a small thing, but but was a thing.
Speaker 3: The first one.
Speaker 2: The realtor for the home is Jane Butterfield, and this one her daughter, Jane Butterfield, also a realtor and also named her daughter Jane. So that's a that's a nice little tie and I enjoyed as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then so, like I said, there's there's no big build up to Beatlejuice in this He's just in it. And I don't know, I kind of like that build up. I like them to kind of like put like the the breadcrumbs out there for us to play with, and they didn't really do that. He's just there working in the afterlife with his bioaxicism.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's a fair criticism.
Speaker 2: H Do you want to run through the timeline here quickly?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna bounce around here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, go ahead and do it all right.
Speaker 2: So the whole, you know, the whole thing that makes this go is the beginning of the movie.
Speaker 3: We see.
Speaker 2: Lydia is a paranormal investigator slash TV personality Delia, her stepmother, is a successful artist.
Speaker 3: Lydia's daughter, Asterid.
Speaker 2: Is in like a high school, a boarding school type of school, and presumably we think Ashid's about the same age as Lydia. In the first one, Charles Deets dies parishes in that plane crash slash shark attack, and that's how everyone gets together. Delia calls Lydia, they both go and pick up Astroid. Rory's there too, and Rory is Lydia's boyfriend but also like manager and producer type of thing. Meanwhile, in the after Life, very early on, we are introduced to Dolores, who puts herself back together and she's hell bent on getting revenge on Beetlejuice, her former lover of six hundred years ago, who she was trying to steal the soul of, but then Beetlejuice acts murdered her and then they both ended up dying. We also are then immediately reintroduced back to Beetlejuice. He's running an expanded bioexorcism operation from the first movie, and now Bob and all those headshrinkers are working for him. We are then immediately introduced to Wolf Jackson, a deceased actor who is now playing an investigator in the afterlife, and every scene he was in was very, very funny.
Speaker 3: Dafoe does a great job here.
Speaker 2: Back in the real world, we go to the Beetlejuice House where Charles was still living, and they're cleaning it out and they're gonna have the funeral and wake there the services, and this is where Asterid starts to explore ask questions about the house, the history of YadA YadA.
Speaker 1: I do like how they draped the house in a black curtain.
Speaker 3: Kind of yeah, that was pretty good that fabric.
Speaker 2: There, of course, Astroid and Lydia get into a little tiff. Astrod takes off starts riding her bike around town and this is where she crashes in to the tree that Jeremy is hanging out in. It's it's I don't know. It was fine the way they introduced it.
Speaker 3: It worked.
Speaker 2: I didn't. I didn't.
Speaker 1: I thought she was gonna die at first, because.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she also hates Rory, which is a big thing, and longs for her deceased father father, which is the two things really motivating her in this movie, Astroid and Jeremy hit it off immediately. They're both the same type of weird and they plan to hang out on Halloween, which is coincidentally when Rory wants to marry Lydia. He proposes to her during the services in a focctic kind of way, and that's what causes a little rift there. The whole time, By the way, Lydia has been seeing Beetlejuice everywhere. She's kind of somewhat hallucinating, and it's sort of leading to their inevitable reunion, and Rory thinks she's out of her mind, batshit crazy until they go up into the attic and he says, Beatle, just Beatle, just Beatlejuice, and he thinks or he has the run in and thought it was a dream. Yeah, that whole thing. Meanwhile, Beatlejuice has been running slash hiding from Dolores, and Wolf Jackson has been simultaneously searching for Dolores. So that's what's going on in the afterlife where we finally get to the twist here, Jeremy is in fact a ghost again foreshadowed by the Book of the Recently Deceased, and has been dead for like twenty five years and Astrid, who didn't believe in ghosts and so the audience would never really think she would see a ghost, has in fact been seeing Jeremy this whole time because she has the same gift as her mother, which I again, this is where this is like in the beginning of the third act, this is where really things ramp up and what makes the movie takes the movie from like decent to pretty good.
Speaker 1: I felt like also, I had never in the first movie considered it to be a gift more just along the lines of like those who believe can see.
Speaker 2: I think it's more of a gift.
Speaker 1: No, I mean how it definitely is a gift. But when yeah, you're right the first movie, I was never like, oh, she has a gift.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was sort of a creative liberty they definitely took in this one. Again, we will find out shortly after that Jeremy kills his parents. He was a really bad guy and in order to once Lydia puts two and two together because of Jane Butterfield, Lydia enlists the help of Beetlejuice to save Astrod, but again not before she agrees to sign a contract to wet him again or to try to wet him a second time, and this is also like an easy way for him to escape Dolores, which is motivating him. So the two go into the afterlife to pursue Astrod and Jeremy. While we're there, we meet Richard, the deceased father, and you get a nice couple scenes with Richard and Richard's the one that helps them escape the afterlife, and we also in the afterlife learn about the soul train, which is where people go to the Great Beyond.
Speaker 3: And I really enjoyed that take on it.
Speaker 1: I guess that you could really outside of getting that little backstory of the plague with Beetlejews, you didn't need Dolores in this movie at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, she just sort of She's just hanging in the background.
Speaker 2: She exists to like scare Beetlejuice and motivate Beetlejuice on a secondary level, which was fine.
Speaker 3: Like I said, it was okay.
Speaker 1: But he also didn't really need that motivation.
Speaker 2: I guess he maybe didn't, But then it would have been tough to introduce him earlier on in the movie if you didn't do that, So I see why they did it. I loved the use of the Beg's tragedy by the way, I love the Beg's in general, so that that really was music.
Speaker 1: We get it.
Speaker 2: They all help save her. The Juice sends Jeremy to Hell. I guess is that where he ended up. He flames, and then they get back into the real world with the help of Richard, where it's about time to marry Rory. So they go to the church and then of course Beetlejuice shows up shortly after, and this is where the Beetlejuice high jinks commences, and he's fucking with everyone in the church. He gets Wolf Jackson and the cops to freeze and you get what was the song they were singing.
Speaker 1: I have no idea what the song is. I will say that I think like my favorites kind of gag, like haunting gag is him sucking the people into their phones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that was pretty and I wanted.
Speaker 1: More of stuff like that, because yes, the like the musical stuff. That's funny to a point, but it also went on way too long.
Speaker 3: It came back around for me.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it did. I don't know, fair enough, I wanted more of him doing new haunting, not just doing dance sequences.
Speaker 2: That's fair, But obviously the most iconic scene from the first one is the dance.
Speaker 1: I know that, so like I, I understand why they did it, but I think it was too long, There was too much of it, and you also need to have him doing some creative stuff.
Speaker 3: That's a fair criticism. It didn't bother me as much as it clearly bothered you. Uh.
Speaker 2: So we're in this church. Obviously all the storylines are coming together. Dolores is there, Wolf Jackson is there, and then of course Astrod finds that book conveniently there in the church. She summons the sandworm who devours Dolores and Rory, and then we learned I guess she had time to read as well, that the contract Lydia signs with Beetlejuice's null and void. Lydia finally sacks up and sends Beetlejuice away forever the end. Successful movie. I thought it was success a little bizarre. Uh. They slightly addressed that Katherine o' harris dead, but like, will she be able to uh like go to the places they're going or she's stuck in uh winter river because she died.
Speaker 1: There, No, she's in heaven. Her and Charles went on the soul train.
Speaker 2: Oh that's right, they go on the soul train at the end, So that you're right. There was a good send off there.
Speaker 1: I do like her, like her death. I think that was that was pretty good. It was.
Speaker 3: It was very fitting of the character.
Speaker 1: Yes, and then I like her getting her sent off.
Speaker 2: Actually, her best line might have been I died of embarrassment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I laughed at that. Yeah. Also, the the Charles shark fin, that was the thing that you pointed out to me with the.
Speaker 3: Great Yeah, his crave is shafe like a shark fin.
Speaker 2: And I guess that was so distracted by the translucent aspect of it and trying to read the writing on the grave which said like father, grandfather and like bird Watcher, which was pretty good that it took me like three scenes to realize it was actually a stark.
Speaker 1: Although I will say so, Tim Burton has said that he will not do a sequel to this movie, but if it makes what six hundred million, seven hundred million, it's.
Speaker 2: Gonna make at least five I think if if you subscribe to all these tracking in one hundred million, the first weekend, and it's gonna have worldwide money, which it didn't happen.
Speaker 1: And we'll also get to in one second, what the schedule is coming up for fucking movies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good point too.
Speaker 1: Is this allowed to be played in China?
Speaker 2: This is gonna have a runway of at least all of September. Yes, and because Halloween is at the end of October, it's probably gonna have a good two month run at the box off.
Speaker 1: Okay, So yeah, I could see this making seven to fifty eight hundred million.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's gonna make a lot of money.
Speaker 1: So does Warner Brothers say we want another sequel to this? And if that's the case, do they do it? Say without Beetlejuice, do they try and find a way to bring a Harah back and have herd do some of the funner stuff in the afterlife? Do they focus more on the afterlife? I don't know.
Speaker 3: Three beetle three juice just doesn't quite have the ring.
Speaker 1: You call it beetlejuice, beetlejuice, beetlejuice, You just add a beetle just at the end.
Speaker 2: We free beetle Free juice is clearly the way they're gonna go but his story's over, right, So what why would you? You can't go back down the Beetlejuice Road.
Speaker 1: I don't think I know, but this Beetlejuice Road felt like him as a character felt a little forced too.
Speaker 3: Are they gonna furios it?
Speaker 2: You know? So and so Astrod a Beetlejuice story.
Speaker 1: Hopefully, hopefully that's what they do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: And Maxak could be anything. And like I just teased, we have quite a cold stretch of movies coming out.
Speaker 2: We have one that I'm really looking forward to.
Speaker 1: I will guess it in one second, but okay, So Beatlejuice is out this weekend, Beatle Juice, Beetlejuice, and I think it has a possible eight to nine week run of dominance here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it may, especially considering the the early reviews on Joker Too.
Speaker 1: Upcoming this next week we have Killers Games starring Sophia Boutella, Dave Batista, and Tom Clementief, Speak No Evil with James McAvoy, and then My Old Ass with Aubrey Plaza. I do want to see My Old Ass, but not to like, oh, I need to rush to the theater to see it.
Speaker 2: If they promise Bear Aubrey Plaza ass I will see.
Speaker 1: It then the following week, September twentieth. This is a pretty good weekend for movies, and that is Wolf's and Transformers one. Now, Transformers one will do well at the box office, but I'm not sure beyond like like it might win its opening weekend, but will it be sustainable.
Speaker 2: I think it'll do well for a couple of weeks. On the flip side, I don't know how hall well Wolfs will do. But that's the movie I'm really looking forward to most over these.
Speaker 1: Next thing is that going straight to Apple TV. Plus, I think it's you.
Speaker 2: You actually might be right. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a couple of weeks at the theater. Though this is of course the clooney brat movie that it looks very promising.
Speaker 1: Then the next movie up that I have no idea. I'm so fucking I'm so confused by Megalopolis.
Speaker 2: Adam Driver, like twenty years in the making. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: They had that big advertising thing where they made up fake quotes saying that fucking Coppola is an idiot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Francis Ford Coppola has been trying to make this movie for like thirty years, so I don't I don't know.
Speaker 3: That can't be a good thing.
Speaker 1: On the fourth of October, you have Joker fare A do.
Speaker 3: More like Joker. Pooh, Follia Pooh.
Speaker 1: There you go. I was gonna say you should say the word folly in there too. It's French. I am interested. On the eleventh of October for Saturday Night, which is a movie about the first episode of first episode of Saturday Night Live.
Speaker 2: This is promising. This could be really good. It's not gonna do well at the theater though.
Speaker 1: I should have looked up the actors, but the people that are playing Chevy Chase, Gilda Radner and John Belushi are like dead on.
Speaker 3: They crushed the casting for sure.
Speaker 1: On the eighteenth of October, we have Smiled too.
Speaker 3: I still don't seen the first one.
Speaker 2: The first one did better than they anticipated, so they'll they'll be a little bit of an audience there. And that is the week before Halloween as well, so there'll be a bit of an appetite for it.
Speaker 1: And then on the twenty fifth of October, and this will win the box office this week, and that is Venom Last Dance.
Speaker 2: That's gonna make a lot of money and buy a lot, so maybe like seventy millionna it's gonna win the first week and then probably get terrible reviews and everyone that wanted to see it went and started the first week.
Speaker 3: So I don't that could be really bad.
Speaker 1: So I think solo episodes out of the next two months of movies is Wolf's Joker falle Ad, and then Last.
Speaker 3: Dance and possibly Saturday Night.
Speaker 2: Possibly Megalopolis is really bad, maybe we should do that as well. And if Transformers one happens to be really good, maybe we should do I.
Speaker 1: Will see Transformers one for you, Okay, Well, my son also really wants to see it, so I'll probably just see it with him, all right, Mac, Where can the people find us?
Speaker 2: You can find us on Twitter and Instagram, at Mac and Goo podcast every other platform. We are Mac Ampersandgo that's Mac Shift seven Goo That includes Facebook, sit You're Tuning and cashwork Speaker, Google Play I. We are on Spotify, of course, but more importantly we're on Apple Podcasts. Get on there, rate review, subscribe five stars. If you do that, we'll get you a free Mac and Goo T shirt. From the folks over at Watertown Sports where that is Watertown Sports. We're on thirty four mode Auburn Street in Watertown Watertown Sports where expert screenprinting and embroidery.
Speaker 1: We are currently out of the shirts all right, so we need we need to get new shirts if we're gonna do it. Free up yeah, hey Alexa, play Mac and Goo Movie Club on the iHeartRadio app. If you're watching on YouTube, smash that like button, punch the subscribe button. Did I already say thumbs up?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: I think we should. I should we push our YouTube more.
Speaker 2: I don't know, like I don't want you to do any more work.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I'm not doing I am doing my one clip a week. I am falling asleep at nine thirty every night. Good unless I have more time during the day, which I might because the school season is starting and my son has has almost a job like hours now.
Speaker 2: Also, if you missed it, we were on two Dork episodes.
Speaker 3: The last couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: We did the top fifty movies of all time and the list came out pretty good. I'm not embarrassed by it, so that's good. There are three movies on the list. I haven't seen that. I think I'm actually gonna now go and watch because they're officially on that list.
Speaker 1: I'm also I can't believe that our number one movie, I think you and I had the same number one movie, was not on one person's list lunacy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the expectation or the explanation was maybe worse.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He said it's more of a New England thing. People from New England really like it, but no one outside of New England likes it.
Speaker 3: That was for a different movie.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know about that, all right, so check us out next week. We will do a news dump and then we need to brainstorm ideas because there's nothing coming out anymore, Okay, And also I might lose the joker bet. We said it at five hundred million. I went above, you went below. And I do think it'll win its opening week. But if it's not good, people aren't gonna see it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the run up here. It just debuted at Venice last week or this past week, and there's been some middling reviews. I haven't seen one. Per shouldn't claim that it's a great movie, and that's gonna really really hurt it.
Speaker 1: I heard someone say I went goo goo over a Gaga. No one said that, but I'm gonna say it during the podcast. I'm gonna write that one down and then say.
Speaker 2: Here you go, Hey, here's here's here's a trivia for you and anyone at home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you.
Speaker 3: Can tell me, uh.
Speaker 2: Lady Gaga's real name, I'll owe you something.
Speaker 1: It's Stephanie. I know that she's Italian. I saw that one minute compilation of her saying over and over again that she's Italian. Even though we forgot to put her on our Italian tears, I would have put her at the top.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love Gaga.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Stephanie Mario, Stephanie Germanada, Germanada, God damn it. Okay, Well, if anyone got that right at home, Mac will send you something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got your free T shirt from what it dones.
Speaker 1: For Tuesdays or Goosdays. I abuse Ganga Rusemburn hither. Please flip the cassette over to side B to continue the adventure. Now it's time for girls jumping on trampolines.