Speaker 1: Welcome back to this idea was to watch this show.
Speaker 2: I don't know, some some nebulous person that we all know somehow suggested it to us.
Speaker 1: And it was not me.
Speaker 3: It was somebody nebulous like Avaitar Avatar esque, like someone.
Speaker 1: Who is.
Speaker 4: Five in the morning on a Sunday. When we just rolled our clocks forward, we got a bright eyed bunch of tails. We're gonna watch Babylon five today. It's gonna be so fun. Let's kick off a nice relaxing Sunday with an episode of my favorite show.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I guess they got the poker.
Speaker 6: Anyway, what were you saying, Jenny.
Speaker 2: I'm saying we are Babylon We are the podcast Last Reaction crew that is watching a breaking down episodes of Babylon five. And we just watched the upbeat, peppy happy episode Confessions and Lamentations.
Speaker 1: Jenny, just like.
Speaker 2: R.
Speaker 1: My name is Jenny, and.
Speaker 2: I'm a huge fan of this show and I've watched it through multiple times and it's somehow still made me cry.
Speaker 3: My name is Jennim, a screenwriter and a showrunner. I watched the show back in the day and I am rewatching it now.
Speaker 4: I'm Gus. I'm an actor. I'm watching this for the first time. I've accidentally shished an ess in there, and I decided to commit to the bit.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 5: I'm Ali and I have permanent beef with JMS.
Speaker 4: The Babylon Podcast was our last best hope for a deep dive, a self contained discussion for hosts, strong located in the neutral territory of the Zokolow, a place of commentary and analysis for two veterans and two newcomers, a shining beacon of fandom, all alone in the streaming void. It was the dawn of the streaming age, the year the great theories came upon us. All this is the story of Babylon. The year is twenty twenty six. The place wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: That JMS was the person who wrote this episode. Yeah, and it was directed by Kevin G.
Speaker 1: Drenmon Nomen.
Speaker 7: I've beef with him as well, Kremens as well.
Speaker 3: Cremon.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that your day is right. That sounds like a thread. I just mean until a confrontation.
Speaker 4: I bet he's dead too. Every time we say something out of pocket like this, it turns out the person's dead.
Speaker 2: I actually don't know. I'm I realized I didn't look him up ahead of time. He's directed thus far one previous episode.
Speaker 5: I hope he's he's alive and well and happy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, yes he is, Yes, Jesus. He was a second second unit director and the Star Trek motion Picture.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, that's a beautiful shot.
Speaker 2: We'll just mention this because otherwise I will forget and people will be in the comments all about it. Jim Norton, the voice of the Mark at Doctor Doctor Lasart. Did you reckon? He's been on the show before.
Speaker 5: Okay, I thought so. His voice sounded really familiar.
Speaker 2: He was the he was the ombuds, oh, the ouds many.
Speaker 4: All right single, it was the judge.
Speaker 1: He was the judging episode.
Speaker 4: Extorted the guy in front of the the judge was sure, is too bad. We can't prove this guy did extortion.
Speaker 5: And he was the giant.
Speaker 4: Yeah okay, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: He was so and he has an amazing voice.
Speaker 2: I don't remember his voice out so much in in that episode, but in as a market.
Speaker 7: Didn't get a lot of lines, all right, And I think they're also very distracted by the extortion bit.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna also just say yes, I'm going to say that. Okay, so the choice of not having nostrils, which is interesting for species that was dying from an airborne disease. Let's just like, I don't know how they breathe in I'm sure they have like you know, spiritual sphracles or something like, yeah, spiracles are killed something. But but I that poor child, that poor child and that prosthetic, like you could hear her just be like, yeah, I can't breathe. I like have it like like her lips the whole time, because she was like, please tell me she was only in prosthetics for twenty five minutes. Of course she sat through seven hours, so no, they shot all of her shit on one day probably, but like probably just felt so bad. She was like to len O case have the speech.
Speaker 5: Please, was like, I heard this speech, girl.
Speaker 3: It's not going to be hard to pass out.
Speaker 4: I did notice that every markab always had their mouth open.
Speaker 3: Yeah they did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well that makes sense.
Speaker 2: I can't breathe, I know, because they have no nostrils.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yea.
Speaker 2: I talk like it's a I mean it's a very dark episode. Obviously they all die, but they did talk about having like a funeral for all the Markab costumes because as you noted, like the markb were in the last episode, the Mark Hab had been mentioned over and over. Ye, and they've been in the background, They've been like in council meetings. At one point, Doctor Steve was drinking juice and reference that it was market like they've been a part of the show. Oh yeah, yep, he was drinking a Mark Cab juice with his dad.
Speaker 4: There's a real time reference I want to make, but it's a late book spoiler, so I won't, Okay.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, yeah, I know what it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, so thoughts on this up, just general thoughts before we get into the meet very sad.
Speaker 7: It feels and we've talked about this already, but it feels definitely like a reflection on the AIDS crisis to me. Yeah, with the immorality, yeah, but like I mean just in terms of like shit that had gone on, you know.
Speaker 2: And the time that the show is happening. He does say in the jams, like I didn't say this was about AIDS. I think that was to deflect from people being like you're calling us all callous people who don't care.
Speaker 1: It's like good, it's just just the show.
Speaker 3: And I'm looking because it's funny because I don't actually yet he talked to people without the CDC like as well while he was doing this. And so I'll just give a quick background on honovirus. So this is two years after the honovirus outbreak in the Four Corners and so the hantavirus was a virus that originated in Asia that they didn't in the Haunted Valley and then they had not seen it in this country. And it also had not behaved in the same way. And it is airborne, but it is transmitted. What they didn't know at the beginning was whether or not it was transmitted from human to human. But it is transmitted airborne, and it's transmitted actually off it comes from the vector is a flea. The flea gets on mostly mice, mostly dear mice Paramiscus miniculatas, and they maniiculada and they and then the poop from the mice carries it. So if you sweep up mouth boom, it gets in the air and you can breathe it in. So there was a big outbreak in the Four Corners region in the summer of nineteen ninety three and then they thought it was contained to this region, and it was like it had been a Native American ceremony, so there was like dancing and kicking up dust, and so it was a really big deal and a lot of people died very quickly, and they didn't know much about it, but they thought it was contained here. And then the first case outside was in Mammoth Lakes and it was a friend of mine. And it works very quickly, and it incubates for like six weeks and then with no symptoms whatsoever, and then when it hits, it hits, it hits like that. So I saw her on Saturday night. We went dancing. Tuesday night, she said, hey, I'm not going to come. We always danced on Tuesdays and Saturdays, we went country dancing. And on Tuesday night she called and she was like, I feel like I got a cold. I'm not going to come tonight because I don't want to give you guys a cold. She stayed home Tuesday night and then by Friday, by Thursday, she was so sick we thought it was advanced pneumonia. And she was met backed up by a helicopter to Reno, which was the closest hospital to where we were, and by Friday at noon, she was dead. It destroys all of the blood, like all of the vessels and your like, your lungs just like all the vessels just explode and the philip the food and it's yeah, and it's really And then at the time, we still didn't know how it was transmitted exactly, or if it could be transmitted person to person. So CDC came in and quarantined us all and took blood tests of everybody who worked with her and lived with her. They trapped mice at her field site. They trapped mice at the place she was living. Then she had lived in my room earlier in the summer. They trapped mice from our area. Turns out the mice in my bedroom or the mice that probably gave it to her. And so like we were all, oh my god, quarantined and tested and like had to wait to find out before we could leave. I mean we were. We actually weren't quarantined for that long because they were starting at that point to figure out that they were quite sure it couldn't be transmissible between people, but we weren't really sure in the beginning, and it was really crazy and so just like so the uncertainty of this, and like this was definitely influenced by that uncertainty that like it's a new thing, we don't know what it is. It acts really quickly, It like shuts down your whole body immediately. Like I was like that sounds familiar. I feel like this is you know, And so in honovirus, I mean like there was another case later that summer, a couple more later that summer, and then you know there have been continued to be cases over the years, so you know, but not not a ton. And they also, you know, they can recognize it faster because when when with gene they didn't they didn't identify it as hanavirus until after she died because it was so fast. I mean they might have had an inkling, but it was like it was just too late.
Speaker 1: It was too late.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it's a really really fast, crazy thing that they didn't know about either. So I was like, oh yeah, because they were like and CDC was brought in because they were like, is it's going to be some massive epidemic. Yeah, And then the movie Outbreak came out like two years later, which was kind of based on that as well.
Speaker 5: So sorry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was it was pretty It was pretty bad. I remember sitting and watching Outbreak and like I think it was like sort of my first anxiety, Like I didn't under like I was watching Outbreak in the theater and all of a sudden, I was like heaving and sobbing and unable to breathe. And I was like, oh, apparently trauma, trauma, apparently over this. I'm not past this.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you ever think can yeah.
Speaker 7: Like I mean, there are just things that's there are just things that let's stay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it was you know, I mean like it was also like this is the same thing of like there was no it wasn't like it wasn't even like the beginning of COVID when they're like if you're very young or very old, like you know, Jean was twenty nine. She ran like four miles every day. She was like in the prime of health. She was one of the healthiest people I knew, Like, so there was like That's what was also weird was that it was like targeting people like in their prime health and you know, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you just don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh that's a humburs. And I was like Oh yeah, it feels like they were. It was like it was comments on a lot of things, the Holy AIDS. Nobody was like connavirus is like out to get moral morally wrong. So that was like definitely, you know, I know the JMS says, like, you know, I'm not suggesting that that was what I'm suggesting here, but it is. Yeah, people were saying that at the time in the AIDS epidemic. That was a huge part of it.
Speaker 2: That's the moment that makes me. That made me cry actually was when nobody wanted to go in and help and then delete because I just I remember, like I guess, you know, being having lived through the nineties. My mom's best friend or one of her best friends had a son with AIDS and he couldn't get treatment at hospitals. He ended up in a hospice run by Catholic nuns. And this is a very roundabout thing, but prior to this, my mom was part of like that evangelical branch of Christianity that believe Catholics were bad. And it was after AIDS that my mom changed her mind because some of the only people that would help nobody.
Speaker 1: It was AIDS.
Speaker 2: It was weirdly aids and lesbians. Well, we have the only people that would help men. Yeah, sorry, nuns and lesbians, I should say, yeah, nuns and lesbians.
Speaker 5: Why they just l first and LGBT.
Speaker 7: Yeah, cute, right, it's because lesbians were there to help.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was weird.
Speaker 2: It was a very weird go because I would go with her to visit this sorry this kid, and I didn't know him very well, but just being in a like, it was weird being there because it was nuns and lesbians working together. It was just a very odd thing to see as a as a like ten year old child China.
Speaker 5: So yeah, it's a lot of cognitive I feel like these two things don't usually go together.
Speaker 7: But that's like, I don't know, maybe this is a reach, but kind of the beautiful thing about crises in some ways is that it does bring unexpected people together to try and do good. Yeah, where it's like, you know, but it's that's kind of a beautiful story and a way like.
Speaker 1: It's horribly tragic, horribly yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, man, it's.
Speaker 7: Dude, we have not yet begun to really unpack how traumatized first first responders and stuff are from COVID like that.
Speaker 1: No, no, That's the thing.
Speaker 2: This episode is so interesting to Sorry that so interesting to watch now because there are parts of it that I remember thinking seemed unrealistic that don't seem unrealistic anymore. It's just like the ridiculousness of just refusing and not listening to doctors and.
Speaker 4: Like yep, yeahh shit. You know at the at the at the end of the episode, when they were like, we have a cure now and these people will not have died in vain, I was like, God, that sounds that sounds nice. Imagine making a cure and then everybody actually takes the cure and it's not that all these people and then lo and behold. JMS was like, fuck you actually, I'm going to really lean into this doesn't matter anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And also not only do they all die, but then he also like the last thing he leaves is with is the racist spaces time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, bar oh my god.
Speaker 5: And I was like, wow, it's just when you went there.
Speaker 3: He did, and when you're saying things that felt like unrealistic or like would have felt unrealistically at the time, we would have been like nah, and now we're like huh, like of course or like of course because people were as whole people react.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But the other thing I thought was interesting and this felt and when you talk about and when we talk about the AIDS epidemic and we talk about people not being able to get treated, Jenny, You're a hundred percent right at the time that was the case, especially like specifically around AIDS, it was like, we don't even want to see you literally turned away from hospital. Yes, but but in this in my my watching that moment when none of them wanted to go in and Franklin said he'd be the one to go in, I was like, what are you talking about first responders or heroes and they jump in because that's my experience with COVID first responders, you know, like that is my experience. Yeah, And you know, and I think that that obviously there's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because there's a weird there's a weird different like and not both AIDS and COVID became political, but they became political in different ways. Whereas like AIDS was you got it because you were back, because you were you were sinning, right, whereas COVID is if you treat it, you're sinning. Like it's a completely different. It's weird, Like what he says here in the in the notes, is like it wasn't about ads. It's about making a disease political. If you make a disease political, people die like that.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's not relevant at all today at all.
Speaker 3: Yep. I mean the whole conversation, the whole thing about like you know about like when when he's talking about DRAFA and he says, you know, our government didn't want to make it an issue. I mean not even he was talking about like the new Drafa, like when it came back to the government knew, but they didn't want to tell people.
Speaker 4: Because they didn't talk about it.
Speaker 3: I was just like, why what Yeah, yeah, I will say the COVID watch it upset people, I know, but like watching COVID. You know.
Speaker 1: I live in South Korea and coke Creo was one of the first countries that got hit. Yeah, and it was My mom.
Speaker 2: Was so worried about it when it was here and not in Canada like it was. She's just sending me in ninety five masks and hand sanitizer and like making sure I would if I would talk to her on FaceTime. You're like, you're not wearing your mask, Like well, I'm at home. I'm fine, like I'm in my house. But the seconded it hit Canada and inconvenience to her, it became fake and it wasn't real anymore. And it was such a weird thing to watch her mind change, just because it was now a thing that she had to do and not something on the other side of the planet.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was. That was something that I watched with members of my own family as well.
Speaker 4: Huh.
Speaker 1: It's like yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: It's yeah, yes, it's wild.
Speaker 4: It's almost like viruses don't care about your politics.
Speaker 1: No, they do not they It's.
Speaker 4: Like viruses are just gonna do what they're gonna do.
Speaker 2: You think it's gonna virus And yeah, I want to I'm gonna I want to read a little as long as we're still talking about the play side of it.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's the whole story. But like, just like I want to read jms's things. Read one of jms's thinks. Uh. He says, like this is in response to the comment plague stories are trendy these days. Yea, And he says, next time, I will try and locate every other producer in town and see what they plan to produce so I can plan accordingly, like no snark there whatsoever.
Speaker 1: When I wrote.
Speaker 3: When I wrote the episode, outbreak hadn't been promoted yet or known about Voyager, hadn't heard because there's a Voyager up said er, hadn't told me what we're going to do. If I'd known there would be such a glut, well, I probably would have done so anyway, because this isn't so much about the plague and saying it's dangerous, but about our attitudes when we are confronted by this, which really hasn't been dealt with all that much in sci fi. And then he says, I yeah, I mean, he says, and I'm sorry, but don't even try to bring the Voyager story into this. The ship is threatened by a cheese contamination. I almost fell off my chair.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I forgot about that one.
Speaker 1: It's a cheese contamination on Voyager, Yes.
Speaker 3: And it gets it in biometrics right like the bio.
Speaker 1: I think so, yeah, because it's a biogel. Yeah biogel. Ye.
Speaker 5: I watched Shadie and I kind of am here for it.
Speaker 4: Look, I kind of get why he would be snarky towards Star Trek considering the existence of deep space nine. Yes, I can't really blame As much as I love Deep Space nine, I can't really blame him for that.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yeah, I don't know, like he might have been saying it was not every episode is going to be a gem.
Speaker 1: The fact he watched it. He was watching Voyager, so like you know.
Speaker 4: There is an episode where a virus becomes giant b and tries to stab Janeway in the face.
Speaker 1: Yes, which is a dumb episode except Jane was wearing a tank top with a big gun.
Speaker 4: Yes she is.
Speaker 1: I am a lesbian.
Speaker 4: She doing the Ellen Ripley thing in that episode. Yes, that is the Ellen Ripley episode.
Speaker 5: I thought this episode was incredible personally.
Speaker 4: This episode was, Yes, I really good about this. The other thing I feel like that differentiates this episode from like all of the other plagues, well not all of them, I haven't seen all of them, but many of the other plague stories he's talking about, is they didn't actually fix the problem. No, they all died. I mean they were never it was never going to infect humans, probably, and it was never going to infect Minbari probably, and it was never going to da but the pac Moran and not the drowsy. I'm sorry, I'm so saying drowsy the pacu Mara and the Mark habit was going to infect. I guess they saved the pac Mara. But yeah, yeah, I mean that was a gut punch at the end. You know, you don't always. I was not exactly expecting the denuma of the episode to be and everyone died, and you kept.
Speaker 1: Talking about we've got to save the child. That little child died, died.
Speaker 4: And so did all the other ones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I sent a message in a full spoilers channel that you guys can't see. But when you asked if Ali should be here for this one, and I said I would actually like to have Ali here for this one, and I said me too, But I said a message like the last time they asked me if Ali should skip and I said no, it was believed.
Speaker 1: Do I just want Ali around for dead children? Is that what's going on?
Speaker 5: This is really the question at the hour.
Speaker 1: I promise that's not the thought.
Speaker 5: Do you just want me to suffer?
Speaker 4: This episode almost feels.
Speaker 5: Considering my absolute love of children.
Speaker 4: Tell us like the anti Believers in a way, because Believers was doctor Steve does fucked up ship and kids die and this episode was doctor Steve does the absolute best he can and kids die, kids die.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, he's not wrong. Everybody does a plague episode, Like you're doing sci fi, there's going to be a plague episode, Like you're not going to I mean, go back to original series. There's was a plague episode. But and you have to. And also he did say something too about he was this is interesting. He said something about the CDC. He said, we did have a you know, uh advisor from CDC consultant. Yeah, and he says, one person I spoke with it the CDC said that, hypothetically speaking, the sudden eruption of a disease like this is possible, like you think, how likely depends on various circumstances, and you know, so he's kind of just like yeah, yeah, And then he's talking about, yeah, things being highly contagiratic. He said, the only thing that has prevented a massive outbreak is the fact that by the time you can generally get out of these remote areas, you're debt. Because he's talking about like things that are in remote areas and like yeah, and he also says he asked the CDC guy about like between species. The consultant and uh, you know and that guy. Let's see, we do have a medical biology advisor, biological advisor whose primary comment on the notion that a virus couldn't pass between one species and another, and he says, we have yet to contract one other one other alien life form to make me it make an analysis. But I'm like, we know that they it crosses species of them, So I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, right, but I think the idea is like if it comes from another.
Speaker 3: Really different evolutionary chair wile Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 7: That is the danger of contacting alien species that I never even thought of before.
Speaker 5: Yeah, was like, well yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: He mentions it here, like when the first astronauts, like when they were quarantined when they came back to Earth because it was like, we don't know, are there diseases in space?
Speaker 3: Yeah, like is the moon the moon? Else have stuff? Yeah, theyre always uarantine. I mean they actually yeah, fascinating.
Speaker 4: Ye.
Speaker 1: So do you have thoughts, Sally? And we've been talking a lot. I just thought do you have?
Speaker 7: I just thought it was a really interesting move to also like include a child when we're talking about like morality versus immorality and like who deserves to be sick and things like that. Like, yeah, there's a really great play called The Yellow Boat about the AIDS crisis, which is about a father and a son and this is based on a true story. And the son dies during the ACE crisis and he's a child because he has a blood transfusion and you know it's the wrong kind of blood transfusion. It's the wrong Yeah, they different something. He's sick and it's just one of those things. And like they talk about that, like how ostracized.
Speaker 5: They were and like how.
Speaker 7: Yeah, because people were afraid and like how how like that immorality thing affected them? And you know, I think people like, no, obviously, no one deserves to be sick, but like people like have no scope of the I think they wanted to like be able to say, like, well, other people get sick and.
Speaker 5: They deserve it, and they think that keeps them.
Speaker 7: Safe, right, Like it's this it's this perverted idea of like wanting to be safe. So if you can justify what other people get sick and why you don't, and like it's this attempt also, I think to justify the randomness of life, like how things just happen and we don't always have and like it's this uncomfortable thing where we have to face the fact that, like life is very uncertain and we don't really like that. So instead, if we can say, like, oh, this group of people like they deserved it.
Speaker 5: It's a punishment of some kind, Like we can kind of like.
Speaker 7: Wave it away or like, oh, well they had pre existing conditions, so like you know, it's somehow they're like people who were like pre ordained to die anyway, So like you know, it's like this weird thing where we can Yeah, so they're control. It's callous and it's fucked up, but it is an attempt to control a situation that may reminds us that we have very little control. And I think it was very smart to include a child in that discussion, because it's like, well, children got sick, it's people, people of all different types got sick with it.
Speaker 5: It's like.
Speaker 7: Justify that, like you know, I mean, it's fucked up to do any regardless, but like, yeah.
Speaker 2: Is that like that line that the Len said, I want to talk about the lenn in this episode.
Speaker 1: Compassion, I did similarity, not I.
Speaker 3: Did that similarity was a requirement for Compassion. I wrote it down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good, is that.
Speaker 2: That is something I also remember. I didn't have the words so articulated at the time, but I do remember this from the nineties of the sympathetic faces of AIDS were the children who caught it from uh from.
Speaker 1: Ryan White, I believe was I can't remember.
Speaker 2: There was a boy who was very very famous, became very famous because of that, like Michael Jackson wrote a song about him, into all that, but like and thinking that that was not I remember as like a middle school kid who knew somebody, thinking that that's not fair that this boy I know because I thought of him as a boy, but he was like nineteen and he was gay and dying of AIDS, Like why isn't it sad that he's dying? Why is it only sad when children are dying? That's not It's not fair. And and I, like I do putting a child's face always makes things like world vision does that, like everybody does that, but it does it does snake. It seem we can only care about certain people and not everyone.
Speaker 7: I think it was an attempt to counteract this narrative, but like at the same time, it was dehumanizing to other groups of people, like no one deserves to be ill and die, Like that's not that's not a thing, you know. I also wonder if de Lenne is a little bit in this like giving up well, her whole thing about like I didn't know that similarity, but that would I want that like tattooed on my body? But if I were, if I were the type the weather in afraid of needles like that. It was an incredible line. But there were a couple of things that I thought of during that. One was that, like you said, Jenny, the like Catholic nuns where it's like, you know, theoretically right there people who disagree the most with homosexuality and that didn't stop them from being compassionate at a time where like most people were not.
Speaker 5: And then also.
Speaker 7: There was a part of me that was like it felt a little almost also Princess Diana, you too, Princess where it's like she she did a lot to kind of destigmatize it as well by like you know, touching the patients and being compassionate, and.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I just that was there was a thought about that for me. But yeah, what uh what us I we got her acting This episode.
Speaker 4: Was also just and every episode.
Speaker 5: I mean pain like, she's incredible.
Speaker 4: Well and not to not to. I don't want to pivot away from the tragedy of it all too much because that.
Speaker 1: I know what you're about to talk about, because that's my next question.
Speaker 4: But she and Bruce are on a first name basis now, m hmmm. And there was there was there was there was hand placement, you know, listen, there were there were moments.
Speaker 5: Listen.
Speaker 7: I hate being a like I hate when like we have a man and a woman who are close in something and they can't just be bride, you know, like but we have that with like Avanava.
Speaker 1: I was about to say already, yeah.
Speaker 7: Their buddies, Like there is not it's not the same vibe with Delenne and that maybe just that she has chemistry with everyone that moves.
Speaker 4: But after this, there's one more thing I want to say about compassion, by the way, But but.
Speaker 7: She yeah, there was and and listen, I think that we as a society should normalize that people could touch each other.
Speaker 5: And it's just like platonic affection. Are you aren't you maybe marriage?
Speaker 4: Like he's out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if I want to normalize people touching my face, that that that's.
Speaker 4: Not the that's not necessarily that you can have a relationship okay, yes, not go up to random strangers and touch their face, like you can have a connection with somebody where faces can be touched without it being necessarily romantic. Yes, people, because you're French. Basically people can be.
Speaker 3: Physical without it being meaning sex.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, yeah, but I don't know.
Speaker 5: Well, I just wanted.
Speaker 7: To preempt that by saying normalize, like physical effection between men and women, like normalized, like you know, blah blah. All that being said, though, the chemistry was insane, and you.
Speaker 4: Did say day one, as soon as she popped out of that cocoon, you went, oh, they made her hot so she can fall in love with with handsome Bruce box lightner.
Speaker 7: I did say that, And I stand and I and and look at me. I stand by it. Look at me, I stand by like she's it's happening regardless, like the respect that he.
Speaker 5: Had for her too.
Speaker 7: I'm a sucker for men respecting this ship out of women.
Speaker 4: You know, one of the best through lines of this season.
Speaker 5: That's a low bar, but hey one cleared it.
Speaker 4: One of my favorite, very suttle through line stories of this season so far has been Sheridan and de Lenz burgeoning mutual respect friendship. Uh, what's the fucking term? Foreign exchange student kind of you know, you learn about my culture. I learned about yours. Yeah, you were the best fucking dress I've ever seen. We go to dinner. Yeah, I eat one noodle an hour for seventeen hours straight kind of thing. Like I took a.
Speaker 2: Note of this, sorry, because he was snoring and he was like, I don't store he said that before to to.
Speaker 4: Susan to boom Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And the sleepover Yeah, he's really John Sheridan has sleep apnea.
Speaker 7: Man, that's that's the machine. Yeah, it's like it'll be so much better rested.
Speaker 4: But it's just fun to watch this kind of kind of slowly creep forward because again I don't remember which episode it was. There was an episode. You asked me, what do you think you'll remember from this, and I said, probably the ten seconds where Bruce and Delenn went to dinner. Yeah, it was the one with the sleepover scene, the sleepover plot, Workers of the World You Unite. What was the other plot in that episode? See, that's the thing that was that was like the b and the sea plot of that episode.
Speaker 2: Plot was of that episode, No, because there was the one yeah, where they had to have the sleepover because they couldn't get into their court and he had.
Speaker 4: One meal with Delenn And that's right now the only thing I remember from that yes, yes, and then the hard eyes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it is it is interesting because there's a there is this like, first of all, the like, there were several poignant lines written by JMS in this episode that were just like and like what I just love about his writing. The second thing is that he is he is always and never moving away from and shying away from the sentiment I I did not know similarity was a requirement for compassion And why don't we learn about other cultures? When we learn about each other's cultures, we respect each other's cultures, we can grow to love one another's culture. Is like, he's just you know, and and and also the relationship between I mean this one, this one felt to me like, Okay, aside from Keffer, we'll talk about that in a minute, But from aside from Keffer, this one was really connected. He even says it's sort of the passover episode, like she's there having sort of a version of passover dinner at the same time, we're talking.
Speaker 1: Yeah that Dylen, uh help me Valen.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, leave the exactly and then and then and then on top of that, like then when we're talking about the Mark cabin, we're like it passed people over, Like they literally say will it pass me over or something? Or it passed me over? And then we have this like mask right, yeah, you know, and and also like the passover plague like so it's really yeah, it's really interesting. I think there's like a lot of connections here, but all of it coming back to He's like, it's not entirely a political episode. It's just saying that when you put He says, when you politicize a disease, it's not going to go well. The treatment's not going to go well. And I think that, you know, he is just he never loses his focus of we need to be more compassionate, we need to be willing to learn about others. And this is such a clean episode for that. It's such a good episode.
Speaker 5: He's exactly right too.
Speaker 4: Well, I once again find myself in a position where I have to reference the malasone book of the Fallen, because the I keep on getting your hair in my elbow. I apologize because the entire conceit of malas En book and The Fall and is it's basically a three point three million word meditation on compassion and the importance of compassion. And there's one particular quotation that happens in an earlier book which I think is kind of relevant to de Lens de Lens thing and everything else in this and really kind of the show as a whole, where somebody says, we humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. I we know of it's worth, yet in knowing we then attached to it a value. We guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely in abundance. And I like that quote, and the Lens thing made me think of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so true.
Speaker 5: I just I get so bothered because we're so quick to.
Speaker 7: Obviously, boundaries are important, right, obviously you know you must protect yourself from things.
Speaker 5: But we're very quick too.
Speaker 7: I think I saw this interview one time with this guy and he was and he said, and it stuck with me forever, never assume malice where ignorance can be explained. Yeah, yeah, And like that has stuck with me forever. And I think we are always like we're all people with like context that other people don't have, walking around doing our best.
Speaker 5: Like It's why I'm obsessed.
Speaker 7: With like like youngie and stuff and all this stuff lately, because I'm just like we're all just out here with all these wounds that we're poking in each other all the time without knowing that they're there, And like we just assume a lot of the time that people are poking those wounds on purpose and not looking at like the humanity behind, like why, And I think it prevents us often from actually solving problems. I think it creates problems where they don't need to be any because we just assume the worst in other people all the time and refuse to One of my favorite things to say to my students is two things can be true, Like when we're talking about history and things like that, Like two things can be true, Like this perspective can be true and this perspective can be true at the same time, right, And like our tragedy I feel is that we like don't see that that like two perspectives can simultaneously. Yeah, that two things can be true simultaneously at the same time and equally valid. And so it's just like, uh, and I just feel like it causes so many more problems than it needs to, and like just how incredible it was, like the contrast between like de Lenz compassion and this guy making Catleus jokes about yeah, you know, like which you know they would eventually, you know they would eventually, because I mean, human beings are making jokes about nine to eleven nowadays, Like they make jokes about I mean tragedies all the time.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, eventually any sting of it fades.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I mean I'm just again like people were doing that during COVID, not necessarily jokes, saying really callous like anti Asian jokes because.
Speaker 7: Good oh yeah, there were people attacking Asian people in the street just for existing, just for the crime of being Asian.
Speaker 4: The week that this is different from that, but it is relevant to people making light of the issue. The week before everything shut down, I was like, I should probably get provisions, and I was walking to the grocery store with a mask on and a guy was riding by me on a bike, and as he approached me, he saw that I had a mask on. He's leaned everyone, and then he kept riding past us.
Speaker 5: Like, what's the point of that?
Speaker 4: Who does that benefit? You're just being an asshole?
Speaker 7: Yep, yeah, this is I think people are very wounded, and they just they act strangely when they're afraid, or they act strangely when confronted with their own mortality. You know, so they're like, oh, like, I have to distance myself from it by making it seem laughable, because if I can laugh at it, it's not a threat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's also true.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to go ahead, jay, oh no, because I don't I have something to say that has Literally I don't have an answer to the question, and I want to say I don't. I don't know how COVID got politics, Like didn't become politicized in Korea. I don't know how it didn't happen is a very conservative country, like just in general, but it just didn't happen here. But also everybody just wore masks and nobody people stayed home when they were told to, Like, if I get a COVID diagnosis, I say, like, nobody, nobody.
Speaker 3: But there was a history of that. There's a history in Asian countries of wearing a mask when you're sick because you're not an asshole. And I guess, and there's a history of looking at that in America, and it means it's nice I had America. When I say it like that, when you see that, you're like, oh, that's another thing. That's something Asian people do. Wearing masks is something other people do. I don't want to look like other people like I mean, I think that led into it, that was part of it.
Speaker 4: I talk sometimes, I play a lot of the video this is relevant, I swear. I play the Yakuza games all the time, and I played a lot of Yakaza five recently. Yakaza five was made in like, I don't know, twenty fifteen, twenty fourteen, and it is like thirty percent of the NPC's just randomly walking around the street wearing mask.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is true when you're sick you wear a mask. That is a thing that people you hear just the entire time I've lived here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm only playing that out because for me as was America as a Westerner, I was like, oh, this makes me think of COVID. It doesn't make me think of It's just what you would do, right, you.
Speaker 1: Know, I will tell you it's a completely funny thing.
Speaker 2: You Also, masks are part of winter wear here, like the masks that they keep your fing like. It's literally not a helping it's to keep your face warm, which was a problem when COVID happened because in the winter, when you were wearing a mask and you talk to somebody, by reflex, you pull your mask down, and with COVID you're not supposed to do that. But it took people like a couple of months to get used to, don't pull your mask down when you're talking to people, because that's just like wearing a mask is just the thing that you do when.
Speaker 1: You're cold, and so it was just funny.
Speaker 7: Yeah, anyway, I mean, it's absolutely i thing you should do if you're not feeling I remember, pre COVID.
Speaker 4: We have fifty masks in the house. I had just keep them.
Speaker 7: I knew people who like bragged to me about how like they never missed a day of school, like they went to school sick. And I was sitting there I saw with the chronic illness, going like you're a problem for me, Like, yeah, stay the fuck home. I get sick, I'm sick for weeks. Yeah, you know, like I don't like back then. Lately my health's been pretty good. But back then, like before I started really working on like what my body was doing, Like I would get sick for weeks, and I was like that is so fucking It's like I was like, don't brag to me about your work ethic and like I was like, no, you're a problem. You're you're a freaking patian zero over here, like for this office all the time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't America.
Speaker 7: America can be very strange too, I think in that like weird, like go to work even if you're like near death's doore Well.
Speaker 2: I'd just saying like there is a good side and a bad side to the wearing masks things, because part of the wearing a mask is that you're supposed to go to.
Speaker 1: Work wear a mask. Like it's not meant to be like a.
Speaker 2: Oh you're sick, stay home and take care of yourself. It's so you're sick, we have something to help you prevent spreading that as you go to work.
Speaker 4: Yeah, do we want to talk about, frankly, the a plot of the episode. Yeah, Warren Keffer.
Speaker 5: I love that.
Speaker 7: They they brought it in and we were like, oh my god, it gets a plot, and they immediately yanked out.
Speaker 4: I thought it was the capisode. I really I thought it was the capisode. He got two scenes.
Speaker 3: And then he was gone, done nothing relevant. I mean, he did bring in the ship, he did bring the Dutch.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Her he was told not to go into. Did you do you know you realize why he was told not to go in and be hunting for the shadow Ship anymore?
Speaker 4: Right, Well, because he's been taking his star Fury out on his own time apparently and just flying around hyperspace, but also to see any of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's trying to keep it right. They're like, they're like, we don't want the Shadows to know that we do.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's why that was why Bruce had that face of like, oh no, no.
Speaker 4: No, don't do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't we don't want you finding this.
Speaker 5: Also know the Shadows are in hyperspace.
Speaker 1: No, but he he you know, knows that something.
Speaker 4: So when he hears weird bullshit, he goes, uh, oh, don't touch it.
Speaker 5: Okay, don't.
Speaker 3: But also, I mean, like, and maybe I'm just like a little more sensitive to this, but I'm like, how much does it cost to fuel up a starfire? You're just taking it up for fucking joy rides a gazillion billion dollar ship that is your personal ship that it costs a gazillion dellillion dollars to like fill it up with fuel, and you're like, I'm just gonna look at real a little bit. I'm like, that is not military behavior right there at all.
Speaker 4: You don't just take a plot so much.
Speaker 1: He is an answer to this somewhere.
Speaker 2: Oh he talks somewhere in something I don't know, I can't remember where I read it. But the answer is that he's not like he's fueling up the ship and going out there to hunt in hyperspace. It's you set me out to do something, and when it's time to come back in, I'm like, okay, I take the time there for yeah, I'll go looking after I'm done the other job. So the majority of fuel would be taken in leaving the ship and then docking.
Speaker 1: So he's not wasting a huge amount of fuel here. It is he's wasting time here.
Speaker 3: It is the fighters aren't inexpensive, but not hideously costly either. Also, the pilots like to spend as much time out in patrol as possible to garner more flight pay. Okay, well, Keffer's squad was already out earlier. As noted by Sheridan, Keffer chose to stay out a little longer, doing a bit of reconnaissance, most of the hassle is and prepping the ship for launch, maintenance and so on. Once it's out, it's just a matter of a bit more fuel. If he left strictly for this purpose, Yeah, yeah, they nail his butt to the flight deck. But since he was out anyway, it's not as big of an issue. Okay, fine, ah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe they just forgot he was out. Maybe nobody noticed.
Speaker 1: Nobody noticed Keffer was gone, Like.
Speaker 4: Where's Zeta leader? Like, who's Data leader?
Speaker 5: Maybe that's where he's just been this whole time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's just doing donuts in hyperspace.
Speaker 7: Everybody else is like, but is it hyperspace also super dangerous?
Speaker 1: Like yeah, you had to stay on the beacon. You had to stay on the beacon too.
Speaker 7: Yeah yeah, but like we've seen that that has has historically not happened.
Speaker 4: It's warring. I guess they don't care they shot, you know, yeah, yeah, that's that's what we know about him from all of our time with Warren Keffer shot getting more. I got what is an episode eighteen of four left?
Speaker 5: We got four left? Four left this season when he was in the main the.
Speaker 3: Main I keep thinking about.
Speaker 7: I keep thinking about in the main cast.
Speaker 5: That's crazy.
Speaker 4: Mid season I keep thinking about.
Speaker 3: I keep thinking about, Oh my god, what's the afterss? His name? I can't think of her name? Help guess, thank you, Jenny and Denise Crosby. Keep think about Denise Crosby saying like by you know, by mid season, by mid season one, even like she's you know, she's like legs behind a console, like you can't even see her. She has like one line. Maybe she was still doing a ship ton more. Just like, can I go fucking get a real show that I like that I'm in? Can I like please go like get out of my car? I mean, I just that's like how I keep feeling about him as an actor, just being like he's like he's kind of.
Speaker 5: On a hole.
Speaker 9: He's a I can't do anything else, but he gets paid any but he gets paid per episode, like per episode he's in, right, not per episode?
Speaker 2: I would imagine wouldn't he have like, wouldn't he have it like a minimum contract?
Speaker 3: I don't. I can look it up from the nineties. I can't remember exactly how it was. But you are as a as a as a main cast member, as a series regular. Yes, there is a minimum per episode, but you have to be in it to get paid it. So even if you're in the credits at the top.
Speaker 5: Do they hate this man? What is happening?
Speaker 2: Like is what I heard? I don't even know if it was about this show, but like, you would get hired for like thirteen episodes even if you don't get thirteen epis contract.
Speaker 3: So I'm sure that even though he's main cast, like, yes, he probably was guaranteed a certain number of episodes, So even if he's not in them, he's still going to get paid out for them. That's true.
Speaker 4: There's two men cast who have done fuck all. It's Keffer and new Tooth. And I assume that the reason that New Tooth is doing fucking nothing is because Julie Kate and Caitlin Brown left and they brought in Mary Kay Adams who was fine from the fifteen seconds I've seen of her. But maybe they were just like, well, we don't really want to proceed with the character in this vein, I guess, But Warren, it doesn't make any sense because Warren, clearly they created the character and we're excited about this. I mean, they created the character. They made a point of hooking him in season one in episode one and two, and I think he had a little bit in three andos.
Speaker 5: And now this can I tell you what my theory is about this?
Speaker 1: What's your theory?
Speaker 7: I feel like his role is going to become more important as the war advances, like as there's more potential he's a fighter plic because he's a fighter pilot, like right now, like, yes, there's a war, but it hasn't really reached Babylon five in a substantial way yet in a while. But there have been some fight like some scenes where I'm like, oh, this would be a perfect time for Warren Keffert that he has not been in, which is wild.
Speaker 4: Yeah, many, yeah.
Speaker 7: Like there have been a few episodes with this like exploded you know stuff.
Speaker 4: And you made a joke Ellie in the second episode where you said the studio told him we need a hot shot. Yeah, that could also be what happened, and then JMS just like, fine, you can have him.
Speaker 7: But here's your hotspat, but I will not be using it yet. But which does feel like I think he would do. But it's like, uh, I'll take the oue, but I'm not gonna be happy now. Yeah, but I feel like there's the potential for like things advanced from a war perspective, that he might become more important as a character, just because like right now it feels.
Speaker 5: Like it's still there's a war, but there's still Yeah, they're still kind of ramping up to that.
Speaker 4: I remember something else I wanted to say, but it's not about Warren Keffer. So we later if you want, or I can just really quick interject this.
Speaker 5: I'm just waiting for the episode.
Speaker 4: But yes, is that we've we've now had episodes focusing on war and focusing on.
Speaker 5: Can I say one more things?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 4: And I just wanted to mention that.
Speaker 5: Wait, can wait continue an activities.
Speaker 4: Of death? So I'm on the eye. I got my life, my eyes up for famine, which I guess would.
Speaker 5: Totally going to happen because that's what happens in war, I.
Speaker 4: Guess would be uh, a team of was famine, right, I think so? But anyway, go ahead.
Speaker 5: Out anyway, well said thank you, thank you, Ferry.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 7: I was just saying that I think they're going to use Warren Keffer as they have before, as like a this is like the price of war from a soldier's perspective for more of a.
Speaker 1: I can see that. Yeah, you know, I can see.
Speaker 7: That person that can kind of go out into the being the ship because like they did that with him with his buddies that went and done.
Speaker 1: Guy.
Speaker 5: I feel like it's like, yeah, we're going to.
Speaker 7: Look at cost of war from like the perspective, also from like the command perspective, but then also the perspective of like people being ordered into doing things. Yeah, I think maybe he's the like every man that we can follow. Does that makes sense? So that might be where his because we've got like we haven't even talked about psycre in forever too. Yeah, all they're gonna ship.
Speaker 4: Was like when I'm when I'm trying to keep track of and I know we've kind of diverged away from this particular episode and three fifteen in the morning for Jenny Jenny. When I when I look kind of track trying to track all of the threads in my mind at once, there are a couple of threads that keep on kind of going and then coming back. And one of them is psycor and everything to do with Talia, because Talia vanishes for weeks at a time and then comes back and has three episodes in a row and then poofs away into the ether again. And the other one, I guess is section thirteen, which kind of connects into Psycorp. I feel like Cycorps Section thirteen in trash Gym are all points on a given Clark Morgan, Clark, whatever. Those are all points on the same triangle. But it is funny to me because when I watch the main cast stuff, I'm like, Okay, Londo, Jakar, Delenn, Vier Lanier, Bruce, Garibaldi and Ivanova. They're very insistent cap for neutalk No, not at all, right, and then tips in and out.
Speaker 3: It's really important. When she blips in.
Speaker 4: She's really important. She clips in except yeah, except she got coffee spilled on her. But then she just kind of vanishes for weeks at a time, and it's it's odd to me that that keeps happening, only because I know Jams is such a meriticulous planner, right, So it's funny to me, and I'm wondering, I'm looking forward to why that might be happening, because I really like Talia. She's a she's telekinetic. Now we've mentioned that once, you know, here's.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, yeah, well, I was just gonna say, you know, you're mentioning like Italia not being there and like you know, Trush Jim and the political side of things, and you know, Morgan Cichor or Talia. Here's what's funny, Like this was such a good episode. I was like, oh, yeah, Londo and Jakar weren't in this episode.
Speaker 4: They weren't. Yeah, Like, I feel like the.
Speaker 3: Story stops when we don't have Londo and Jaikar in some ways, like I'm always because I'm like that feels really important, especially this season with a whole like the war that's going on. And then I'm like, I didn't even think once about them in this episode. Didn't even think once about missing them in this episode. It's really fascinating. It's a full episode.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, yeah, because I think it's still a continuation on this theme of like, this is what happens when blank gets politicized? You know, like I think we're looking at and now I'm predicting that there's going to be a famine episode where it's like, this is what happens when famine gets politicized.
Speaker 5: I'm feeling like that's possible.
Speaker 7: Because I because there's no way it doesn't, like, you know, resources and things and the allocation of those becomes very important. But I'm feeling like it's partially because it still feels like they're present because we're looking at the theme the themes that they kind of kicked up dust around.
Speaker 5: Does that make sense?
Speaker 7: So it doesn't feel like like a bottle episode in that same way, it feels like.
Speaker 4: Well and also again because the mark haveb have been brought up, I'm gonna I'm going to veil the wheel of time reference. And this is only relevant because this is something that I have Ali and I have discussed extensively in the context of sometimes a writer wants to do something where they make they make a plot point that is meant to be like, oh my fucking god, I never thought that would happen. And now I'm devastated. And the Mark Cavern not the people that I have ever thought about ever I but I recognize the name, particularly because, as I meant a couple weeks ago, I was like, JMS likes to do these things where he reminds you of something right before it happens. Yeah, which now makes me wondering about Warren Keffer having shown up all of a sudden talking about shadow ship again. So something's gonna happen with that very soon. But the Mark were not people that I had really ever thought about. But they are people that I was consistently aware of because they've been mentioned in a significant way and we have seen them multiple times, and they have distinct makeup. So when you tell me that there's civilis has been annihilated, even though I don't have a deep personal connection to them, they're part of the tapestry that has existed on the show.
Speaker 5: They've been present.
Speaker 4: They've been present, even if they have not been hyperactively present. So when you take that and tell me, oh, yeah, these guys that you just accepted as part of the background they're gone, now that hurts me a lot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like we're probably never going to see one again, not much or if.
Speaker 4: We do, it's going to be in a shitty refuge.
Speaker 7: Jerry special Mark cabin, much like Survivors Guild episode.
Speaker 4: Whereas if you were to do this in a different context where it was just like here are some people you've never heard of and now they're dead, it wouldn't necessarily have the same effects.
Speaker 7: Actually, the fact that he specifically had them mentioned like there might be some Mark habs that survived on like other like posts a.
Speaker 4: Couple million, but the civilization has been functionally not.
Speaker 7: Even a couple of million, they said, a couple of millions, though they said like there might be some scattered, but it's like there down.
Speaker 1: To they're effectively this is effectively gone.
Speaker 4: That is what they said.
Speaker 7: So I feel like that actually might be a setup for a Mark ab Survivor's Guilt episode.
Speaker 4: Could and you see if there's any fallout from like oh, you're the plague people, well.
Speaker 7: Also like you're what it is to be like the last of your species.
Speaker 4: That's called an.
Speaker 5: Ending, I know, and it's so sad. It's like the saddest thing you could be.
Speaker 7: So like, yeah, I feel like I feel like he's now like I want to play around with that, like that's on the table now.
Speaker 4: But I just want to applaud Jams for making me really care about these people who I've only ever kind of seen in the back. And admittedly part of that is also we spent forty five minutes with them this week. Yes, yes, you know, and perhaps it would have.
Speaker 3: Been and the doctor our first real I mean, we'd met a market before, but like our first real interaction was this beautiful, like respectful relationship between Stephen and Lezarin, and so that also like they were cool, they were nice, they were respectful, Like I just you know, so I was like I had someone to hang that on and say, if you're representative of these people, which obviously he's not because a lot of them think that they're getting the plague because of God. But like, you know, even so, I was just like I can like these people because I like him.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, I think that. Yeah, they picked the two representatives. Well, it was a learned scholar and a child. It's like a learned scholar who is a friend of someone that we care about, right, yea who he has mentioned before in previous.
Speaker 1: Episodes, literally last episode.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and we also know that doctor Steve does not view other species in a negative, negative light. Yeah, we know how much he cares about all species all the time, which is add which is good and admirable and is what he should be doing.
Speaker 5: But like, yeah, the fact that we see this like very.
Speaker 7: Caring even though they have like some you know, conflict, the fact that vital respect for each other, and he's like a learned person. They picked they picked the two the two mark hats very carefully.
Speaker 4: Now, I'm highly conscious that we've been talking for an hour and it's early as ship for Jenny. So if we can move towards wrapping up and letting you guys if you want, I just want to be respectful of your time.
Speaker 1: No, I get I.
Speaker 2: I there's only one thing that I specifically wanted to bring up, just because people pointed out that I missed something in a previous episode, and this is a good time to bring it up. Because we saw doctor Steve ejecting himself with stems, and I realized every single doctor, with the exception of the markab doctor, but every single human doctor we've ever spent time, including the one with the machine that's how she lost her medical license.
Speaker 1: And No. I mentioned doctor Ben and a doctor.
Speaker 4: That we talked about June Lockhart.
Speaker 1: No, we didn't because so many people in the comments were like, you.
Speaker 4: Think the people in the comments are wrong because I remember talking about that. I remember that you brought that up. But I think it was very we brought up.
Speaker 1: We brought up the President's doctor.
Speaker 7: Yeah, are we going to be dealing with like addiction and the medical profession?
Speaker 4: Babylon the pit next time, Babylon.
Speaker 3: That's the name of the next episode.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yes, I want to bring because I yeah, yeah if I if I brought it up last time, then that's great. But I don't think I did because the comments were just full of you forgot about j Lockhart.
Speaker 1: You forgot about you Lockhart, And I was like, okay, forgot.
Speaker 5: About We should never have forgotten about Art.
Speaker 4: I think she's real. She's so cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's gonna be She's going to be an issue.
Speaker 4: We got a June Lockhart machine.
Speaker 7: Now that could be an issue for doctor Steve little little addiction issue.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, yeah, or likensance, especially in a wartime Jesus, and I also Jesus, I want I'm hoping because.
Speaker 7: It's important to me that trauma is handled well, I'm hope, Like, even though I'm like I don't want Delenn to be having a difficult time, I'm like, I do want this to have ramifications. Yeah, so I'm like anticipating hopefully callbacks.
Speaker 5: To this in a way. Yeah, okay, just because I'm.
Speaker 7: Like, you know, I I one of my pet peeves is when like a character goes through something in an episode it's like, Wow, that would fundamentally shape me as a person, and then they like never talk about it again.
Speaker 3: I literally sent seven or nine hundred. How many people were in there? How many Mark ham.
Speaker 1: Were in there?
Speaker 4: At least five hundred I think.
Speaker 7: Say at least I watched five hundred people slowly die, including a child that I had become attached to, Like there's no way that doesn't fundamentally alter a person, and waited to see if it would kill me too, Like yeah, there's no way. You I'm just like, it's not like I wanted to be brought up every episode or anything, but it's like, you know, there's there's a point at which I'm like, well, that has to have an impact in terms of like how they see the world and their behavior after that, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: I agree with you. I agree with you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what a what a star?
Speaker 4: What a star she is?
Speaker 5: God, what a star.
Speaker 4: I can't wait to have to Previously on this one.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, people talked about that.
Speaker 2: They're like, it's funny, that's funny, and every everybody was all about how Gus has to make it funny.
Speaker 1: I have to animate it funny. Think about me too, Compassion for.
Speaker 3: Me, compassion for Johnny.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna make you animates some fucked up ship and then the child keels over.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's just gonna be you trolling Jenny the whole time, is.
Speaker 4: What I try to do in the previously. Sometimes sometimes I just go, like, you know what, I'm gonna make Jenny do some terrible I'm gonna gave a horrible day. It's going to ruin my co host day. I'm gonna make my friend miserable.
Speaker 5: And that's real friendship.
Speaker 1: I can't do that because I can't make my hands touched.
Speaker 4: Oh no, is this Bermuda this? Okay? Yeah, okay, that's different.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, flash Vagina and everybody.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, well all right, I don't.
Speaker 1: Think I have anything more to bring up with you guys.
Speaker 7: So all right, thank you so much for the depression today, you guys, that was really solid.
Speaker 1: Oh welcome. I'm so glad I had you here for another dead child.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a lot of that going on.
Speaker 7: You really, You're like, I insist Ali be here for every dead child on the show, and you're like, let me make Ali talk about like some deeply upsetting topics.
Speaker 1: And that's my plan. Yeah, that's my plan all the time.
Speaker 4: I guess we'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 5: This show isn't political.
Speaker 10: Bye bye ah, my friends, you have reached the most dangerous part of our journey, the Gray Council.
Speaker 11: Here we speak of things that must not be spoken, secrets, betrayals, spoilers. If you are not ready, turned back now.
Speaker 8: But if you dare to proceed, I promise you it will benficent, we get a Baldi.
Speaker 2: I don't know that there's a lot spoilers to talk about this one. I accept it like that's it, the markab. We never see them again there, right? Oh I did Oh, I meant to bring that up while they were here. Sorry, my notes get all hidden on the screen over there.
Speaker 1: But I'll just bring this up now. Did you see the bottom? Yes?
Speaker 3: I did, Yes, I did. I almost, yes, I did, and I almost brought it up too, and then I was like, because, well, actually, if we brought it up to that, we probably probably would have gone off for quite a while. But yes, okay, well we'll share it with the audience now and maybe we can share it with them later.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the use of Markhabs was definitely not a reference to Scientology in any way, manner, shape, or form. This is what JMS says, And then he says, there's absolutely and then he says it again. There is absolutely, positively no Scientology link or reference in the same Markabs. In the name Markabs, I find the organization generally abhorrent. Go jamis. And then the third one. I had no idea that scientologists used an alien group called Markab and frankly would have changed it if I had known.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I just think that's really funny. Obviously, several people brought it up, and he was very vehement, and I feel bad you come up with a name. He made up a name, and it just happened to be a name that LRH also.
Speaker 3: Also made up. I've been also made up.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, you don't understand.
Speaker 2: I don't know enough about Scientology he got the information from the universe. I don't know what they believe about how he knows all about it.
Speaker 3: He took a bet. He took a bet from Robert Hyland and said, who said, I bet you can't make a religion, And he said, yes I can.
Speaker 1: Okay, I used to know about some of their mythology, but I can't remember all of it.
Speaker 3: Anyway, you should be really careful about researching here because as soon as you start researching it here, I know that the flyers start showing up on your doors and whatever. I'm not gonna like, okay, well anyway, I'm not gonna I'm not gonna say where I am, but they're everywhere all over time. If I say, I can see scientology pretty close for my house, it doesn't matter. I just live in LA.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, wow, anyway, I just I was gonna bring that up. I thought that was funny. But yeah, they might still be talking.
Speaker 3: I know, but yes, I wanted to bring that up too. So there, but their theory about Keffer dead on, Yeah, I know, they're like, well the hot shot, but also just like we got this little like glimpse of Keffer right now because we're going to be there must be something. Yeah, like they just they just killed off well except what they didn't say was they just we saw the Mark cabs and then they killed off all the Mars Mark cabs. I wanted to say, like we saw Keeper and then they're going to kill off CAP. They have not figured that part. No, they have not.
Speaker 1: They have high hopes for in the future, like you know you're.
Speaker 3: Feeling, Yeah, he's not going but they were right on about GM getting forced into it.
Speaker 1: Yep, pretty much.
Speaker 2: Ye, yep, They've got that, They've figured that out, but I'm still not going to confirm it until yes, he blowed up.
Speaker 3: You do have something very exciting coming up next week, though, Gus is going to lose his fucking ship next week.
Speaker 1: For Divided Loyals.
Speaker 3: Who comes back, isn't Lida? I know?
Speaker 1: Yes, oh yeah, I just realized.
Speaker 2: That because I was thinking of the girl kissing. But yes, of course shows up. Yes, yes, yes, the lack of girl kissing they're not going.
Speaker 3: To be it's not actual girl kissing, but yeah them, but yes, and then and then Lida is back.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we should talk about this, probably a deep but a I don't want to tell them that Talia doesn't return after that, because then it's going to be late lyving it open.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we can confirm it.
Speaker 2: After uh Bester talks about dissecting her in a future episode. But yeah, and I don't know if it's going to be I can't remember. I'll have to read the synopsis if it's going to be clear that Lida returns until later, because she's in the episode next week.
Speaker 3: But no, no, I don't want to make it sound like it's actually that back. I just I think, yeah, I think that's not just the fact that she shows up. He's not gonna don't.
Speaker 1: Lose a ship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I don't want to imply that she will continue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, she becomes main cast.
Speaker 3: I know. My god, oh my god.
Speaker 2: I'm kind of relieved that they finally have twigged on to uh Bruce and Delenne because that's been driving me crazy, Like.
Speaker 1: How you ship everyone stroking his face for.
Speaker 3: Even stroking her face? She was like, let's just normalize face stroking.
Speaker 1: Yes, they're on their way to smooch town.
Speaker 3: It's just slow and gentle.
Speaker 1: It's I know, like it's not like hot and heavy. It's one of my favorite romances. Ever, and it's just this slow build.
Speaker 2: Of people who meet and they like each other, and then they like each other and they like each other and then they can't.
Speaker 1: Like it's not an epic story, but I love.
Speaker 3: It so much. No, it's wonderful. And it's also like, I mean, I think, what, what does it justice or what does that that choice?
Speaker 4: Justice?
Speaker 3: For me is that you know, it's a political I'll say it. It's a political show. First, it's a war and sci fi show. Second, yes, yeah, and it is a soap opera. Third, like it's really not you know, and that so he's just like, these are the in the relationships are super important, but not in a typical soap opera kind of way, and so you know, and like from the beginning he's like, this is all about character and relationships character first and so and that's true. So I feel like him not making it this like epic love story kind of thing is really just both does a justice and is also just realistic.
Speaker 1: Yeahs realistic.
Speaker 2: It feels I don't know, it feels more precious to me because it takes a long time to get there and it never gets I mean, they have that moment at the end of season three, we're at wan Anna comes back where they have that disagreement, but there's there's never a like, oh, we've been broken apart for like, it's no, they just yeah, their friendship gets deeper and deeper and deeper and deeper, and then they're in love and they respect them like each other and I love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We decided in one of my servers a while back that Sheridan is very lesbian coded like, yes, he worships his wife and he's friends with his X.
Speaker 1: He's totally top lesbian.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, that's hilarious. Oh my god, I love that.
Speaker 2: There's other spoiler things, uh, the stems obviously that is definitely going to come up. And yeah, they've called I might have highlighted it too much, but really there were like thirty comments about how I didn't bring up doctor Roslin, so uh not.
Speaker 1: No, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't think it was Rosalin because I'm Bottle Star Galactica is on my brain right now.
Speaker 3: Laura Laura ro Is BSG. But let's see quality mercy doctor Laura Rosen, Laura Roslin, Laura Rosen.
Speaker 1: It's so close.
Speaker 3: Because Laura Roslin is not from the original SG she was a character created by Yeah, Yeah, she's not in I don't think that the name was Yeah, I don't think the name was ever pulled from from anybody in the original I'm pretty sure she was created by Ron Moore, and I'm sure Ron Moore didn't intend it to be like stealing Laura Rosen. But I'm like, why not? Well, I mean, we know Ron Moore was writing BSG right now, because I mean writing sorry, not b S gen writing track, yes, but specifically specifically Deep Space nine. Yes, yes, and he was you know, I mean he was the creator of the Dominion War, so.
Speaker 1: You know, around your Yoda doll.
Speaker 3: I'm like, you know, will help me find the name. It's like, this is I don't I am so bad about being on camera because I just like speak in my in my real anyway. Yes, so he was, so I think knowing that that. Obviously, Ron Moore was watching this at the time because he was being tasked with crafting a the long term story, the We're arching story arcs in Deep Space nine and then BSG DS nine. It's really fucking hard to use all.
Speaker 1: Of these two BSG D S nine B five. It's just tng. What's going on too much.
Speaker 3: Their voyager isn't but I know exactly. But in any case, I do think that Ron Moore must have been watching this at the time. And then you know also because there are some elements too, there are things in this that show up in his version of Battlestar, there are things we see. I mean, and I I will take you to the grave that that was one of the best series ever made ever in the history of the world. I love that show so much. BG is amazing.
Speaker 1: It's wonderful.
Speaker 2: Although I like I started doing reactions, I don't know if I'm going to continue them. But on my channel, I have not revisited that show since I watched it the first time at all, because it's so perfect in my brain that I've been a little bit nervous to touch it because what if I don't like it is holding up for you so far, I mean I've only to the mini series again and one other episode, but yeah, it's so far holding up.
Speaker 1: And if I immediately immediately felt my crush on Starbuck Return and it was like, oh, oh.
Speaker 2: Gosh, yes right away.
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean, we showed it to our eldest a couple of years ago and he's desperate to get back into it. He's just like, what are we going to watch the rest of it? Because we didn't. We haven't finished the series with him. But he loved it and it held up for him and it was, you know, made long before he was born, and he was like, this is great. Not only are the effects great, but the storytelling is incredible, and yeah, storytelling is amazing and the characters are great. Okay, back to be fine.
Speaker 2: The other thing, I just they kept pointing out there's a if you were watching this without having watched the episode, this is the first we see of that alien.
Speaker 1: I believe that has the weird.
Speaker 2: Like a what do you call the nose of like a mosquito. Thank you, there's a creature in behind his mask and a ProBiS. And they pointed him out each time. In the Lurkers guy, they keep saying, the alien with the beret reading apparatus is this Sandman reference? And he kept saying, no, no, no, it totally is, because later on we're going to find out that that character is named the game, which it's Neil Gaiman, which is not a pleasant thing to know.
Speaker 3: It's in the costume. No, he's just using it. It is a game.
Speaker 2: The name the name of that species is the game, right, so it's obviously a Sandman reference. And the fact is, and again it's just a sad thing because I'm assuming he.
Speaker 1: Didn't know what a monster he was.
Speaker 2: Neil Gamon writes the forward to JMS his autobiography and the only other from here on out until the end of the series.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: JMS writes every single episode except for one. The one episode he doesn't write is written by Neil Game.
Speaker 3: I know, and he obviously didn't know, but like, I mean no, like this is years before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, so.
Speaker 2: Anyway, it is a Sandman like so he denies things sometimes and like why are you why?
Speaker 3: And also because like people knew that they were friends at this time, they were both writing comics, you know, at the same time, Like it wasn't like, yeah.
Speaker 2: He denied the Lord of the Rings quote, and I'm like, that's what Why would you deny that?
Speaker 1: It's so clearly a Lord of the Rings quote.
Speaker 2: There's not much spoiler to talk about this because it is it's not a bottle episode in that I think the way Ali worded it is right, like we are the themes continue, but from here on out, this episode doesn't really like we will, the Mark Cab will come up in conversation again. I think in a future episode they're going to destroy the jump gate near the Markab planet for a reason that I can't remember, but they're going to like it. Sure, it is going to choose that one to destroy because people keep using it to go to Mark Cab and steal stuff. He's just like, I hate Gray Robbers robbers, so let's just destroy that jumping so that, like to preserve the planet. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think that's it for conversations too for this one.
Speaker 3: I think so too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, next next week will be a big one for conversation too, because, like we said, Lida and not quite but very heavily implied girl kissing right, tragic lesbian dead lesbian trope blah blah blah, that's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: But it was the nineties.
Speaker 3: Yes it was cover and I'll pretend it doesn't it isn't real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I think that's it though for today. So yeah, thank you so much for joining us for this upbeat, happy, peppy light episode. And if you like this discussion, you might like to see our reaction, which is up on YouTube. You can join our Patreon get the full unedited version of it. You can get early access and add free versions of the audio version of this podcast. You can join Discord and join our super secret, top secret, don't tell anybody, And then you can help out and get the previous these early and get a bunch of stuff, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, and like to subscribe and hype us
Speaker 2: Up and do all that stuff, and we'll see you next time.