Speaker 1: Okay, let's kick things off. That daily frustration, right, juggling all those online accounts, remembering passwords. It's a real digital headache. We all kind of deal with it.
Speaker 2: Really is. But you know, imagine if that friction just disappeared exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and well that's what we're digging into today, this whole journey of digital identity, how it started, where it's going.
Speaker 2: We're aiming this squarely at you, someone keen to understand this well, pretty crucial part of online life, but maybe without getting totally bogged down in technical jargon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we want to make it accessible. Our main guide here is the book Learning Digital Identity. Really comprehensive stuff it is.
Speaker 2: It covers a lot of ground.
Speaker 1: So our mission, if you like, is to pull out the key ideas. What is digital identity really, why is it so important? And crucially, where's it headed.
Speaker 2: We're looking for those aha moments, the concepts that give you a practical handle on it all.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the book starts by outlining three main eras, right, how identity has evolved.
Speaker 2: The first one they mentioned is the centralized era.
Speaker 1: Ah, the early days, think, you know, individual websites, each with its own username and password.
Speaker 2: System very simple, but also completely separate, siloed basically totally.
Speaker 1: Then came the next phase.
Speaker 2: The federated era, and there was this big hope back then. I think it was around two thousand and three at a.
Speaker 1: Conference Digital Identity World, that's the one.
Speaker 2: Someone there basically said the goal was finally solving username password hell oh, I.
Speaker 1: Bet they got a cheer. Yeah, the dream of fewer passwords.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. The big idea was shifting towards what they call user centric systems.
Speaker 1: User centric so focus more on us, the users, rather than just the companies.
Speaker 2: Decisely, the thinking was, let's build systems that actually serve your interests. This led to using trusted third parties, identity providers or IDPs.
Speaker 1: Like using your Google or Facebook account to log into some other website exactly.
Speaker 2: That. That's federation in action, a single sign on hopefully making things easier.
Speaker 1: Definitely an improvement on having dozens of separate logins.
Speaker 2: It was a big conceptual shift, and around that time you had people like Kim Cameron developing his Seven Laws of Identity.
Speaker 1: Ah. Yes, the book mentions those laws as being really influential, still relevant today, it seems very much. So.
Speaker 2: They provided a kind of framework principles for building identity systems that put the individual first, you know, user control, consent.
Speaker 1: Foundational stuff, right, which I guess leads us to the third era, the latest evolution, decentralized digital identity. Right. This is presented as the sort of next frontier in giving people more control exactly.
Speaker 2: Decentralization takes a step further aiming to reduce reliance on those central authorities, even the federated ones. Will unpack that more later.
Speaker 1: Okay, sounds good, but before we get into the how of all this, let's nail down the why. Why is digital identity such a big deal?
Speaker 2: Well, the book puts it very directly. It says digital identity is at the heart of every online service.
Speaker 1: And interaction, at the heart of everything, and.
Speaker 2: Why that position makes it one of the most important technologies you can work on. Just think about it. Everything you do online, sending an email, banking, social media, it all relies on some form of digital identity working correctly.
Speaker 1: It's almost invisible infrastructure, isn't it. Yeah, because it underpins well everything.
Speaker 2: It really is the bedrock understanding. It helps you navigate the whole digital world more effectively.
Speaker 1: So this brings up a really fundamental question. The book tackles what actually is identity because like we immediately think of logins or maybe passports, birth certificates.
Speaker 2: Right, the credentials. But the book pushes back on that a bit. It quotes descartes, you know, I think, therefore I am, and points out he didn't say I have a birth certificate therefore I am.
Speaker 1: Ah. Good point. So identity is more than just the paperwork or the password, much more.
Speaker 2: It's also about relationships, your own internal sense of self. There's this dual nature how others see and define you and how you understand yourself.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense, internal and external aspects.
Speaker 2: To make it less abstract, the book uses some everyday examples, like a movie ticket.
Speaker 1: A movie ticket, how's that identity?
Speaker 2: Well, it identifies you as someone who has the right to be in that specific seat for that specific showing. It grants you access in that context.
Speaker 1: Ah. Okay. It's a temporary identifier for a specific purpose. Got it?
Speaker 2: Or an invoice? It identifies a payment request, who it's from, what it's for. It's identity working within a business, transaction or relationship.
Speaker 1: So identity isn't just about identifying a person. It can be about roles, permissions, even things within the system exactly.
Speaker 2: And look at a car's identity record, the vin the title. It's a whole system designed to manage the identity of that car for specific purposes like taxing it, regulating it, knowing who owns it.
Speaker 1: It's an identity system for the.
Speaker 2: Car, precisely, which leads to a really crucial distinction. The book emphasizes we often throw around the word identity when we actually mean something like an account or an identity record or just an identifier.
Speaker 1: Okay, wait, break that down. What's the core difference.
Speaker 2: Well, your Amazon account isn't your identity. Your identity who you are is way more complex, more nuanced than what fits in a database record or even a bunch of them.
Speaker 1: Right, it's just one facet one representation online exactly.
Speaker 2: So while we have these identity systems and records and accounts, there isn't really such a thing as an identity in that singular, concrete way. It's more of an abstract concept, constantly evolving.
Speaker 1: That's a really important point. These online profiles are just snapshots, limited views.
Speaker 2: Well put, okay, so now maybe let's get into the basic mechanics, how these systems actually you know, function.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the nuts and bolts lay it out for us.
Speaker 2: Okay. So at a high level, when you try to access something online, two key components are often involved in checking who you are, that's authentication and deciding what you can do authorization. They're called the PEP and the.
Speaker 1: PDP PPM, PDP policy enforcement point and policy decision points.
Speaker 2: You got it. Pp is like the bouncer at the door. It intercepts your request right then it checks with the PDP, which is like the manager in the back office who has the rules. The PDP decides if you get.
Speaker 1: In, So PDP enforces. PDP decides simple enough, and the.
Speaker 2: PDP makes that decision based on policies and information stored in what's called an account store. This store connects your identify er, say your username, with various bits of information about you. These are often called attributes or claims, statements about you, like.
Speaker 1: Your name, your email, maybe your role in an organization exactly.
Speaker 2: And based on those claims and the rules, the PDP determines your entitlements, what resources you can access, and your permissions what specific actions you can take.
Speaker 1: Entitlements and permissions got it. Can you give us a really simple real world analogy.
Speaker 2: Sure. Think about buying, say a lottery ticket where you have to be over eighteen. You're the subject wanted to perform an action by the ticket.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: The shop assistant is the PEP. They enforce the rule. They ask for your that's your credential.
Speaker 1: Right, my driver's license maybe?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that license contends acclaim your date of birth. The assistant checks the ID, authenticates it, and then based on the law and store policy that's the PDP's role, they authorize or deny the sale.
Speaker 1: Ah, Okay, that clicks ID is the credential assistant is the PEP. The age law is the PDP's policy. The info on the ID or the attributes.
Speaker 2: You've got it. Simple example. But the basic principles apply online.
Speaker 1: Now. Something that drives everyone crazy online is how things don't talk to each other. Interoperability or the lack of it.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's a huge pain point. I mean, in the physical world, we mostly interact seamlessly. Right, you don't worry if your cash works in this shop versus that shop. Yeah, it works, But online it's so fragmented. Okay. Email is mostly interoperable because of shared standards like SMTP.
Speaker 1: Thank goodness for that, right.
Speaker 2: But think about messaging apps WhatsApp, Signal, I Message, Telegram. You need all of them because they don't talk to each other.
Speaker 1: Oh, tell me about it, different contact lists, different identities.
Speaker 2: Everywhere exactly, and that burden on you, the user, managing all these separate silos really highlights why we need a better approach, which brings us to this idea of an identity meta.
Speaker 1: System metasystem y sounds big. What's the core idea there?
Speaker 2: Think of it as a sort of foundational layer, a system on top of which other different identity systems can be built and interact. The main goals are well, user choice, better privacy across the board, and pushing towards decentralization. It's about creating a flexible base layer that gives individuals.
Speaker 1: More control, well, a universal adapter almost helping different identity systems communicate, but in a way that respects privacy and user control.
Speaker 2: That's a pretty good way to think about it. Yeah, and those seven Laws of Identity from Kim Cameron we mentioned, they're basically the design principles for this kind of meta.
Speaker 1: System, emphasizing things like user consent, sharing minimal.
Speaker 2: Data exactly, minimal disclosure, justifiable parties only sharing data when there's a legitimate need.
Speaker 1: It sounds fantastic, the solution all our problems. So why don't we have one? Why hasn't this universal meta system just emerged?
Speaker 2: Well, the book suggests it's tough because existing systems were built for very specific needs, often administrative ones by the companies running them.
Speaker 1: Right, they weren't designed with this universal interoperability in mind from the start.
Speaker 2: Exactly. They have their own structures, their own goals. It's hard to just morph them into this overarching meta system. But the concept of a meta system is still really valuable. It gives us a target, helps us see the limits of siloed approaches.
Speaker 1: Okay, now let's pivot to something huge, privacy. How does all this identity stuff connect with privacy concerns?
Speaker 2: Oh, they're deeply connected. The book really hammers home the importance of minimal disclosure and justifiable parties.
Speaker 1: Minimal disclosures share only what's absolutely necessary.
Speaker 2: Right, and justifiable parties only share it with those who have a real reason to know it. The core idea is stopping the unnecessary spread of your personal information.
Speaker 1: Sounds like basic common sense, but online it feels like the opposite often happens. Data gets sprayed everywhere it does.
Speaker 2: The book use is a simple example. Planning a party for Bob, you need to know if he's old enough to drink. Minimal disclosure is asking his age, not his exact date of birth. Okay, Justifiable parties means asking Bob or maybe someone who legitimately knows, not shouting the question across the room. These same principles should apply online.
Speaker 1: Systems should be built to ask for the minimum and only share with those who need it.
Speaker 2: Ideally, yes, and the type of identifier matters too. Public identifiers like say your phone number or maybe even your social Security number in some context, can link your activities across different places. That's a bigger privacy risk, ah.
Speaker 1: Because if lots of services have my phone number, they can potentially piece together a bigger picture of me exactly.
Speaker 2: Pure identifiers, which are often used in more decentralized systems, are designed to avoid that kind of broad correlation. Interesting and think about every time a website asks for your profile info, your address, your payment details, You're transferring attributes pieces of your identity data.
Speaker 1: Yeah, filling out the same forms over.
Speaker 2: And over, and the inconsistency in how sites handle that data is a massive source of frustration and potential risk. Federated systems like logging in with Google offer convenience but still mean that provider sees where you're logging in, right.
Speaker 1: Google knows I just signed into that other service.
Speaker 2: Whereas self Sovereign Identity or SSI, which we'll get to properly, aims for more direct peer to peer relationships. You control the data much more directly without needing that intermediary.
Speaker 1: SSI again feels like a really central concept for this decentralized future.
Speaker 2: It absolutely is. It's about shifting that power dynamic. But and this is crucial, there's often this trade off about convenience versus privacy.
Speaker 1: The easier it is often the more data we give up.
Speaker 2: Often, yeah, many services are designed for maximum convenience, which can mean collecting more data than strictly needed. And let's be honest, As the book points out, there are strong financial incentives driving that data collection.
Speaker 1: Surveillance is profitable, right, better service is the promise, but monetization is often the real engine.
Speaker 2: Sadly, yes, okay, quick detour. The book also talks about the life cycle of a digital relationship.
Speaker 1: A relationship life cycle, even for just buying something online.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, the stages are discovery finding the thing or person, Creation, initiating the interaction like placing an order, propagation the info moving through systems you actually using the service or product, and termination, ending the immediate interaction.
Speaker 1: Huh. Discovery, creation, propagation, use, termination.
Speaker 2: Even a super brief interaction like a one time purchase technically goes through these phases. Understanding this helps design systems that handle the whole flow smoothly.
Speaker 1: That's actually a neat way to frame it. Even quick online stuff has.
Speaker 2: Structure, it does, and thinking about that life cycle helps build systems that serve everyone in no matter how long the relationship lasts.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's tackle some slightly more abstract ideas. The book brings up trust, confidence, and coherence. How do they fit In trust?
Speaker 2: The book calls it the bedrock not just of relationships, but maybe even society itself. It defines it as basically being willing to rely on someone or something knowing there's some vulnerability involved.
Speaker 1: So trusting means accepting a bit of risk, believing the other party will act as expected.
Speaker 2: Exactly and the credit card system is a fantastic example. When you use your card, you might only interact with the shop assistant briefly, but that interaction works because of a whole web of pre existing trust relationships. You trust your bank, The bank trusts Visa or MasterCard, they trust the merchants bank, and so on. There are rules, technology processes, all designed to build confidence.
Speaker 1: It's an entire ecosystem built on layers of trust and agreed upon rules.
Speaker 2: Precisely now, coherence is about a group having a shared understanding being able to work together effectively. Trust and confidence are what make that coherence possible.
Speaker 1: Okay, and identity systems help create this coherence.
Speaker 2: They do, but in different ways. The book mentions four ways societies build coherence tribes, institutions, markets, and networks. Many current identity systems are based on institutions. Think your work log in controlled by your employer, or your social media account controlled by the platform.
Speaker 1: The institution sets the rules, yeah, manages the identity. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Decentralized networked identity systems, though, aim to create coherence through shared protocols agreed upon technical rules that let independent parties interact reliably without needing a central institution. Dictating everything.
Speaker 1: So institutional systems rely on authority. Networked systems rely on the shared tech rules.
Speaker 2: That's good summary, and ultimately the value of any digital relationship hinges on establishing enough trust and confidence for it to work.
Speaker 1: We talked about venience versus privacy. What about the trade off between privacy and authenticity? Knowing someone is who they say they are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's another critical balancing act. Sometimes proving authenticity with a high degree of certainty might mean revealing more information which could impact privacy, like.
Speaker 1: Needing a government ID check versus just proving your over eighteen Exactly.
Speaker 2: The book circles back to justifiable parties. Should this specific entity really need this level of proof, this much information for this interaction? Is the higher certainty worth the privacy cost.
Speaker 1: It's finding that sweet spot, knowing enough for the interaction, but not necessarily everything right.
Speaker 2: Too often, system's default to wanting maximum authentication, creating these permanent, strongly identified links when maybe a more temporary, pseudonymous or even anonymous interaction would have been.
Speaker 1: Fine, Which is where things like privacy by design come in, building it in from the start exactly.
Speaker 2: Privacy by design privacy as the default setting thinking about these trade offs during design. Not tacking privacy on as an afterthought makes sense, and transparency is key to being really clear and honest with users. What data are we collecting, Why do we need it? Who sees it?
Speaker 1: That builds trust, honesty and specificity, And things like GDPR are pushing in this direction right User control, minimal data.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, GDPR is a major force globally reinforcing these principles of user control, minimal disclosure, and justifiable parties.
Speaker 1: Okay, this leads us neatly into the rise of what Shoshana Zubov called surveillance capitalism. In the Web two point.
Speaker 2: Zero era, Zubov asks that big question, can the digital future be our home? The book argues that many current systems are fundamentally administrative.
Speaker 1: Meaning they serve the company's goals first and.
Speaker 2: Foremost, pretty much, they're designed to manage us, the users, often treating us as data sources for their business models rather than primarily serving our needs for connection or expression. There is an inherent power imbalance.
Speaker 1: We become the product essentially our attention.
Speaker 2: Our that's the critique. Yes, yeah, but the potential of a more decentralized internet Web three, as some call It offers a different vision, a chance for more authentic digital lives that aren't constantly under surveillance, and.
Speaker 1: The solution ties back to those core principles.
Speaker 2: Yes, user consent, minimal disclosure, justifiable parties, directed identity principles from the laws of identity. Applying these in a decentralized architecture could help fix many of the privacy problems of Web two point zero.
Speaker 1: So decentralization isn't just a technical shift, it's potentially a shift towards more autonomy and privacy.
Speaker 2: That's the promise, definitely. Okay, shall we switch gears a bit and talk about the underlying tech.
Speaker 1: Cryptography, Yeah, let's get into the magic behind the curtain. Public key cryptography is.
Speaker 2: Central, right, absolutely fundamental, the whole idea of having a private key you keep secret and a public key you can share. This allows for things like digital signatures. You can sign something with your private key and anyone with your public key can verify that you find it and that it hasn't been tampered with. It establishes trust without needing a middleman, like.
Speaker 1: A super secure, unforgeable digital seal.
Speaker 2: Pretty much now, it can be a bit slow for encrypting large amounts of data, so often you use it in a hybrid way. Use public key crypto to securely exchange a secret, one time key okay, and then use that faster secret key symmetric encryption to encrypt the actual message or data.
Speaker 1: Ah. Best of both worlds. Strong security for the key exchange speed for the bulk data.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Now, building on public keys, we have digital certificates.
Speaker 1: These are the things that make the padlock appear in my browser often.
Speaker 2: Yes, A certificate basically bundles your identity information like a website's domain name, together with its public key. And crucially, this bundle is digitally signed by a trusted third party, a certificate authority or CAA, so the.
Speaker 1: CAA is vouching saying yes, we checked this public key really belongs to this entity.
Speaker 2: That's the idea. It builds a chain of trust, but it's not fool proof. Certificates can be compromised, so they need to be revoked.
Speaker 1: How do you check for that?
Speaker 2: There are mechanisms like Certificate Revocation Lists CRLs and the Online Certificate Status Protocol OCSP. Browsers are supposed to check these, but support can be patchy.
Speaker 1: So that padlock isn't always a one hundred percent guarantee that everything's perfectly secure right now.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately. Now it's a good indicator, but revocation checking is complex. Now shifting to something really cool, zero knowledge proofs zkps.
Speaker 1: Zero knowledge proving something without revealing the information itself sounds like actual magic.
Speaker 2: It kind of feels like it. The core idea is exactly that prove you know a secret or that a state can is true without revealing the secret or the underlying data.
Speaker 1: How on earth does that work?
Speaker 2: The classic analogy is Ali Baba's cave. Alice wants to prove to Victor she knows the magic words to open a cave door, but doesn't want to tell him the words. She can go into the cave via one path, use the words to open in the inner door, and come out the other path. If she can do this repeatedly, no matter which path Victor asks her to emerge from, she proves she knows the secret, but Victor never learns the words himself.
Speaker 1: WHOA Okay? That helps visualize it, and this works mathematically?
Speaker 2: It does using clever cryptographic techniques. There are even non interactive versions called snarks that are very efficient.
Speaker 1: The implications for privacy seem huge, like proving you're over eighteen without showing your birthday exactly.
Speaker 2: That kind of thing, huge potential for privacy, preserving, verification, minimal disclosure in action amazing.
Speaker 1: Okay, and the last big crypto piece mentioned is blockchain right.
Speaker 2: Blockchains are essentially decentralized shared databases or ledgers. Cryptography is used heavily to make sure the data is temper proof and everyone agrees on the history of transactions.
Speaker 1: Like Bitcoin's ledger. Right distributed so no single person controls it exactly.
Speaker 2: Bitcoin was the first big use case. Blockchains help solve problems in distributed systems, like how to reach consensus without a central authority, the Byzantine General's problem, and how to prevent people from creating fake identities to gain undue influence civil.
Speaker 1: Attacks, so distributed trust basically.
Speaker 2: That's the core insight. Now, blockchains aren't a silver bullet for everything, and storing large amounts of personal data directly on them is usually a bad idea for privacy reasons, right, but they can be very useful, as say, anchoring layers or registries for identity information, things like decentralized identifiers DIDs, can use blockchains like Bitcoin or Ethereum as a secure foundation. Protocols like side tree build on this idea.
Speaker 1: Okay, so crypto provides the secure foundation. Now how do we actually find and name things online? Directories?
Speaker 2: In naming, yeah, seems simple, but it's tricky. Just think about getting a unique username or domain name. A name space is just a context where a name is unique and has a specific meaning.
Speaker 1: Like user names within Twitter or file names within.
Speaker 2: A folder exactly, and name spaces can be flat or hierarchy like a file system. It's also important to distinguish naming assigning the identifier, addressing how to reach it, and discovery finding it based on characteristics.
Speaker 1: So my email address is a name in a hierarchical namespace, the mail server address is part of addressing it. Sergei may inbox is discovery perfect analogy.
Speaker 2: Now for directories, you have things like ld app, often used inside companies. But for more decentralized discovery, there's web finger web Figer.
Speaker 1: What's up.
Speaker 2: It's a protocol that lets you discover information about someone using an identifier like an email address, potentially finding their website or other profiles without needing one central directory.
Speaker 1: Sort of like a decentralized lookup kind of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but both DNS for websites and web finger still rely on some hierarchy, which can be a weakness. That's where things like distributed hash tables or dhds come in. They're a way to build highly scalable, resilient, decentralized directories or look up systems, very common in peer to peer file sharing, and as we said, blockshain are also being used for discovery anchoring di IDs. The overall trend is towards more distributed, robust systems.
Speaker 1: More decentralization, less reliance on single points of failure makes sense.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we can name things, find things, how do we prove we are the entity controlling that name or identify er authentication factors?
Speaker 1: Right, the classic trio something you know, something you have, something you are.
Speaker 2: That's the core knowledge passwords, peons, possession, phone token, and inherence biometrics like fingerprints face. The book also adds location somewhere you are and time sometime you're in as other potential factors.
Speaker 1: Where cookies fit in. They're on my machine, so possession.
Speaker 2: Yeah, technically something you have your browser possesses the cookie they're used for authentication remembering you're logged in, but also heavily for tracking across websites.
Speaker 1: The tracking aspect that's the surveillance capitalism link.
Speaker 2: Again, it is convenience often comes with tracking.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Passwords, the main something you know, are famously weak, phishing, bad reuse habits, social engineering. They're a huge target.
Speaker 1: Policies try to help, like making us use complex ones, but.
Speaker 2: People find workarounds or they just become unusable. Biometrics are interesting because they're not just about knowing a secret. They can potentially identify you uniquely.
Speaker 1: Right you can't easily share your fingerprint like a password. Good for preventing duplicate accounts exactly.
Speaker 2: But they raise privacy concerns if the biometric data isn't handled very carefully, ideally stored locally on your device and under your control.
Speaker 1: Okay, So single factors are often weak. That leads to multi.
Speaker 2: Factor authentication MFA, combining two or more different types of factors like.
Speaker 1: A password no plus a code from my phone.
Speaker 2: At have exactly you see OTPs, one time passwords via SMS, authenticator apps, hardware, tokens, push notifications. All MFA methods and newer standards like FIDO aim to be even more secure, especially against phishing, using public key crypto cleverly.
Speaker 1: So the trend is definitely towards stronger multi factor methods beyond just passwords.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, passwords alone just aren't enough anymore. Okay, so we've authenticated, proven who we are. Now what are we allowed to do? Access control, authorization.
Speaker 1: The rules of the road once you're inside the system. Right.
Speaker 2: Access control determines what actions an authenticated user is permitted to perform on which resources. It's fundamentally about policy, security, rules, application needs, business logic.
Speaker 1: It's not just tech. It's about defining the rules.
Speaker 2: First, percisely, there are different models DC owner controls, access MS system wide security levels, RBAC access based.
Speaker 1: On role role based access control like admin, editor, viewer, common stuff, very common.
Speaker 2: And then there's ABAC or policy based access control PBAC attribute based. This is more flexible. It makes decisions based on attributes of the user, the resource, the environment, the action, so not.
Speaker 1: Just your role, but maybe where you're logging in from or what time.
Speaker 2: It is exactly much more granular and context aware, but potentially more complex set up.
Speaker 1: And the pp and PDP we talked about earlier come back here.
Speaker 2: Yes, the PEP intercepts the request to do something, asks the PDP if it's allowed based on the access control policy using RBACABAC, et cetera, and the PDP gives the green a red light. There are even standard languages like XACML to write these policies down.
Speaker 1: Okay, and single sign on SSO fits in here too. Logging in once.
Speaker 2: For multiple apps SSO is about improving the user experience, reducing login fatigue. It often uses federation technologies Fammel, open ID connect O FOTH to securely pass authentication and sometimes authorization information between systems, but it's.
Speaker 1: Not always perfectly seamless, as the book notes with some examples no.
Speaker 2: Integrating different systems can still be tricky, but the credit card industry is a good example of a large scale, successful federated system managing access and transactions across many different players based on agreed rules.
Speaker 1: Okay, So access control is the crucial step after authentation, determining what you can actually do.
Speaker 2: Exactly, which brings us properly to decentralize identifiers DIDs. We've touched on them, but let's focus. They're key to SSI, right, the.
Speaker 1: User controlled independent identifiers.
Speaker 2: They aim to solve the problems of traditional identifiers like email addresses or user names, which are controlled by the platform that issues them. Dds are defined by a W three C spec. They have a specific format did to day, then the method name than a method specific string.
Speaker 1: Did that example dot one, two, three, four, five, and the method tells you how it works.
Speaker 2: Yes, the method defines how the DID is created, resolved, updated, et cetera. Different methods might use blockchains, DHTs, or other systems. The key point is the d ID itself isn't locked to.
Speaker 1: One platform and its main job is to you solve.
Speaker 2: To a DID document. Think of the DID document as a small structured piece of data associated with the DID. It typically contains cryptographic keys like public keys, service endpoints like where to send messages, and other metadata.
Speaker 1: So the d ID points to this document which holds the useful.
Speaker 2: Info exactly, and this layer of indirection is super useful. Say you need to change your keys because the old ones were compromised, you just update the d ID document to point to the new keys. The DD itself doesn't change ah.
Speaker 1: So downstream systems looking up your DID automatically get the new keys without you having to reregister everywhere.
Speaker 2: That's clever it is it solves the key rotation problem neatly. And there are also peer IDs designed for direct two party relationships without needing any public ledger or registry.
Speaker 1: Very private okay. Di IDs are the foundational identifiers. What gets built using them?
Speaker 2: Verifiable credentials or vcs. These are the digital equivalent of your physical credentials driver's license to plumb a membership card, but way smarter and more secure. Usually signed credentials basically yes, cryptographically signed by an issuer, held by you the holder, and presented to a verifier when needed. They provide a standard way to share trustworthy information digitally.
Speaker 1: Cortable, tamper proof, proof of something.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and they fit perfectly with that identity metasystem idea user control, privacy, flexibility, decentralization. They operate in a trust triangle issue a welder dot the verifier, and they often rely on verifiable data registries VDRs, which might be blockchains or other systems to look up things like the issuer's public key to verify their signature.
Speaker 1: Okay, and can I choose what information to share from a VC?
Speaker 2: Yes, that's key. You can present the full credential or using zero knowledge proofs, you can create a derived credential that only reveals the specific piece of information needed, like.
Speaker 1: Proving your over eighteen from your digital driver's license without revealing your name or address precisely.
Speaker 2: This is huge for privacy minimal disclosure. It also helps prevent correlation, where a verifier could link your activities by seeing the same full credential repeatedly. Using ZKPS or blinded identifiers helps break that link. Very powerful standards are emerging for this, yeah, things like open ID for verifiable Credentials, open up forty C and self issued open ID providers. Siops are working on standardizing how vcs are requested and presented in a user controlled way.
Speaker 1: Okay, so deepds provide the identifier, vcs provide the verifiable data.
Speaker 2: This all leads back to self Software Identity SSI. The big picture vision the idea.
Speaker 1: That I am in control of my own digital identity.
Speaker 2: Exactly, establishing your own authority over your digital self rather than relying solely on administrative systems controlled by others. The goal is a digital world that respects human dignity and autonomy, and the tools to make this practical are often called smart agents.
Speaker 1: My personal digital wallet or identity.
Speaker 2: Hub kind of Yeah, software acting on your behalf. Your agent would securely store your DIDs and vcs, manage secure communications using protocols like didcom messaging, handle consent, maybe even payments, all under your control.
Speaker 1: So my agent talks to other agents or services following my rules.
Speaker 2: That's the model. Didcom enables secure private, peer to pure messaging between these agents, creating a kind of secure overlay network on top of the Internet. These agents become your operational arm in the digital.
Speaker 1: World, managing credentials, communication, data sharing. Sounds powerful. It is.
Speaker 2: Now, let's apply this to the Internet of Things IoT.
Speaker 1: Right, my smartfridge needs SSI.
Speaker 2: Well maybe the current situation is often called the compu serve of things. Everything siloed talking back to the manufacturer's cloud, no interoperability, lots of privacy question marks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my Philip's tooth PRUSHUREPP probably doesn't talk to my Samsung TV exactly.
Speaker 2: The SSIOT self sovereign Internet of Things envisions devices having their own DIDs, managing their own relationships and data using vcs and secure messaging, decentralized, interoperable.
Speaker 1: What would that enable.
Speaker 2: Things like truly secure firmware updates. The device could verify a VC from the manufacturer saying this update is legit before installing. Or multi owner scenarios. Imagine securely sharing access to a connected truck using vcs for temporary permissions, or lending a smart tool to a neighbor with time limited usage rights.
Speaker 1: Okay, that moves way beyond just centralized cloud control, much more flexible and potentially secure.
Speaker 2: That's the goal for any of this complex web of interactions to work, whether federated or decentralized. You need rules, You need governance.
Speaker 1: The operating manual for the identity.
Speaker 2: Ecosystem exactly how do you build and maintain trust? How do you ensure coherence? You need policies, standards, agreed upon architectures with the book calls an identity policy stack. Documenting why technical choices were made using ADR's architectural decision records is also important for transparency.
Speaker 1: So the tech is only part of the puzzle. The human agreements and rules are just as vital.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, different systems need different governance models. How do you govern a public VDR like the ones used for DDS? How do you ensure credential provenance? Knowing you can trust the issuer of a VC often involves verifying the issuer's DD somehow.
Speaker 1: Trust frameworks, Yes.
Speaker 2: Trust frameworks define the rules, liabilities, and agreements within a specific ecosystem, like for digital university transcripts or financial credentials. As these ecosystems grow, governance becomes paramount.
Speaker 1: It's about creating that reliable foundation for trust at scale.
Speaker 2: Precisely, and finally, the book talks about the potential generativity of this self sovereign internet.
Speaker 1: Generativity its ability to spark new innovation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, using Jonathan's it trains framework, how much leverage does it provide for building new things? How adaptable is it? How easy is it for developers to use? How accessible for users?
Speaker 1: So? How does SSI stack up?
Speaker 2: The argument is that the secure messaging layer DIDCOM and the verifiable credential exchange provide a highly generative foundation. It's leveragable, adaptable, usable, accessible, stable. It could potentially disintermediate existing platforms by giving users direct control and enabling new kinds of peer to peer interactions and services to be built easily on top.
Speaker 1: So it's not just fixing problem, it's potentially unlocking a whole new wave of innovation built on user control.
Speaker 2: That's the ultimate vision, a more generative, user centric internet.
Speaker 1: Wow, Okay, that was a lot. Let's try and wrap this up. We've covered a huge amount of ground in this deep dive.
Speaker 2: We really have from those early centralized days through federation to this emerging world of decentralized identity and SSI. The constant thread is that search for more user control, better privacy, more security.
Speaker 1: And understanding that identity is way more than just a log in. It's about relationships, attributes, control, and technologies like DIDs and vcs offer concrete tools to build this different future.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and smart agents acting on our behalf could really change how we navigate the digital world.
Speaker 1: It feels like we're on the cusp of potentially significant change in how the Internet works fundamentally.
Speaker 2: It could be. The potential is definitely there to build something more aligned with individual autonomy and dignity.
Speaker 1: So the final thought for you, our listener, is this, how might this shift towards self sovereign identity affects your online life? What does a truly user centric digital world look like to you? And maybe what role could you play in shaping it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's something worth pondering and if you want to go deeper, definitely look more into DIDs, VCS, smart Agents, dd com. The building blocks are fascinating.
Speaker 1: The journey is definitely ongoing. Thanks for exploring it with us today,