Speaker 1: Here's a committed who Got Podcast Episode four sixty one.
Speaker 2: I'm brandom.
Speaker 1: Here's Ryan. I'm never going to tell you about trash Ante now in our theme. So hey Ryan, we're back for yet another whirlwind adventure.
Speaker 2: How you do We are back? What is going down?
Speaker 1: The whole ton is going down. We're back with a very special guest for a very special cause, and we're going to change the member of the nation to take what we give you today.
Speaker 2: One just one guy.
Speaker 1: There's one guy, and it's fucking you that you that I'm pointing at right now. If you're watching on YouTube, which should be there, we go.
Speaker 2: Did I get to be green?
Speaker 1: I hope? So, I really hope. So it's crazy to go out into the world and take what we give you and take it to the world and raise money for a great cause. Because that's what we're going to try and do today. But before we tell anybody about any of that, we have to thank our official business daddy, Usion Gaming Online dot Com are your source for all your gaming needs. And we also have to thank Pilo Bones Brewing Code. They are the official beer sponsor of c CEO Sidewalk Slam Season two. Right here on YouTube as well as being the second coolest thing to come out Regina.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Okay, wow, lots to unpack there, Okay, big thanks to the business daddies for for being part of the show. CCO Summer Promo code, even though it's false, still active, it's gonna get you a discount. Let me ask you this, Are you gonna buy magic cards?
Speaker 1: I I am?
Speaker 2: Yes, sealed and singles?
Speaker 1: Yes I am.
Speaker 2: Are you in ever need of Sure?
Speaker 1: I certainly am in need of magic cards and singles and gaming and gaming supplies.
Speaker 2: That's where I was gonna go play mats even like the Big six putters.
Speaker 1: I mean maybe one of those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe one of those maybe uh D and D books, dice supplies, sleeves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, did all those things.
Speaker 2: CCO Summer Promo Code or CEO Perks Promo code if it's your first time going there, because we've got some new substances, thanks for being here.
Speaker 1: So all the stuff that I'm gonna anyway, I can just pay less for it.
Speaker 2: Yes, holy shit. And then you could take some of that savings and go and drink some pile of bones beer.
Speaker 3: Hell.
Speaker 2: Yeah see I threw I mixed that all that in together.
Speaker 1: If you're in Vagina, if we haven't said this yet, they have a really good burger there too. That was really good. Yeah, I ate that thing.
Speaker 2: For like hours. You know what. Their nachos were very surprising, delectable, and surprising in the way that they had a bunch of different sauces on them, so every bite was like very atypical and different from the last one.
Speaker 1: Sauces. Yeah, like the hell kind of.
Speaker 2: We're not going into culinary cookout anything with Uncle Brandos, So eat the nachos at Pilo Bones.
Speaker 1: Cheese sauce.
Speaker 2: There was a cheese sauce that was one of the sauces.
Speaker 1: Is salsa a sauce?
Speaker 2: There was salsa, though it isn't traditionally.
Speaker 1: A sauce is sour cream a sauce.
Speaker 2: There was sour cream on some of the nachos. I don't think it's a sauce sauce. You could use it like a sauce. Okay, this is some classic Commander cook maybe we are going into we are doing. There was barbeque sauce on the pork bites that were in the nachos. Not even you could say no to no, I could not.
Speaker 1: I would eat for sure. No, definitely that I'm just not used to having sauce on nachos. Yeah.
Speaker 2: When I said that, it kind of sounded kind of weird.
Speaker 1: I did go somewhere one time, right, you know, you know where they do the think, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And they put the little squiggles and that's sauce. It just doesn't like it's not like in typical sauce format. Oh. Anyway, final big thanks before we get to it goes out to producer Gary and the whole dufferin Avenue Media Network Studio Studio Studio for.
Speaker 1: Having us here and giving us a place to record and hang out.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And Sidewalk Slam Yeah, season two finale.
Speaker 1: Is ish, No, it's that's what it is. Okay, that's what it is.
Speaker 2: And Sidewalk Slam season three, Yes, And we put it out on the pre show yesterday. What I guess we were asking what would people like to see? Would they like to see cutaway, would they like to see debriefing? Would they like to see Brando kill our friend Jesse instead of me? No, those are the kinds of things that we're asking what would you like to see? Because the show is for you.
Speaker 1: What if the people in the comments of this video do say that they'd rather see me like a sale Jesse instead of you. Well, what do I do then, Because on one hand, I want to do something, I want to do it, but everybody else wants me to do something else. Do I buckle to peer pressure?
Speaker 2: Well, I wouldn't do.
Speaker 1: I just do what I was gonna do. Anyway.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't call it peer pressure, nor would I call it fan service, because I know you don't really like fan service. But I'll break it down to you in a different way. Okay, Okay, think of everybody who comments and watches as part of c Nation. Those are your friends. They are And if you like to see your friends happy, I do, maybe you would do the thing that they ask every frickin once in a while. That's one way to think about it. I'll give you another one, okay, as and we haven't busted this out for a while. The King of CCIO Nation, if I'm the president and you're the king, the king goes to where the need is greatest, Brando. And if that's what the people need, if they need you to eliminate Jesse, that just might be what you have to do. I know it's tough, it's tough to be a leader of man, man and people.
Speaker 1: That's tricky, but.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you just gotta kill Jesse.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: He's probably playing playing two or three cards named Wrath of God in his deck.
Speaker 1: But she's gonna play Rith.
Speaker 2: I'll bet she's gonna play I bet you he is. And you love that deck.
Speaker 1: I hate that.
Speaker 2: So that's a little preview for Sidewalk Slam season two finale. It's gonna be good. We're filming it next week and it's gonna be out in early November. Let's say, as long as editor Tyler can get a shit.
Speaker 1: Together, we hope to see all there. Yes figuratively, not literally very much.
Speaker 2: So if you want to take part, you go to Patreon, dot com, s c podcast, You get into the discord. You can help us plan things like CECO. You can vote on decks, you can become our maybe next guest on CEO's curb side, pick up v edh games, and and you can help us plan the CECO experience. Oh yeah, come on those coming up. House is booked. House is booked, and we are gonna be in Calgary from November. What is the day fourteenth to seventeenth face to face Games Championship Weekend CEO experience, and we're gonna jam games, drink beer, go to the Unicorn. Also drink beer there. Yeah, I'm gonna have some new merch. I'm going to be sitting mostly hopefully playing DH games and having a gay old time.
Speaker 1: I'm probably gonna do that too, but I probably won't have any merch unless Ryan gives me some to distribute, and I will probably at some point wander away from where we are to adventure somewhere. I'm probably to the Unicorn.
Speaker 2: Probably to all the vendors to find dark miss printed Griffin canyons.
Speaker 1: I barely even have to work on that anymore because I walk up and they're like, not this time.
Speaker 2: Not this time. Yeah, I'm going to see if I can sucker in some of the business. Daddy's there to give us some packs for open Flippy.
Speaker 1: Well you know how you could do that just by giving them some money then they give you the packs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I want both packs and money. I want to keep money and have packed Oh shit, dang, it's uh, it's not who you know. I guess it's who it has.
Speaker 1: It has been a while since I bust out the old cue ball in a sock and now that we don't have to travel on an airplane, I can bring it.
Speaker 2: With me, yes sir, yep, mmmm okay. Well that's uh, that's the business I had. If if anybody wants to partake, of course, join the Patreon, join the discord, and you're in. It's that easy.
Speaker 1: And if you're gonna be going to Calgary anyway, you don't need to be staying in the house to be part of everything. We're doing stuff, we're out in public, we're around, we want to play games if you say hi, all that stuff. So if you're going to be in Calgary during the dates that Ryan said, yeah, just come on out.
Speaker 2: There's a bunch of people in the nation who have already come up to me and said, Hey, we got to get a game, or hey I want to meet you guys or whatever it is. Right, So I did that lots in Toronto because I've never been there before for Magic. So it's like, man, you get to see people from the other side of the country.
Speaker 1: Pretty cool. What do they look like they smell like? Are they slimy or dry?
Speaker 2: The old slimy or dry question? Yeah, they're mostly dry, mostly dry. At least the parts that I could see. Yeah, I don't know about their underbellies.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's fair. That's a fair assessment.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay. So speaking of slimy and dry both at the same time, we have a good friend here who we want to introduce and highlight a cause and challenge people out in the nation. And I guess there's nothing for it then to kick over the other camera there, producer Gary, and welcome on our good friend Thomas, and hear what he has to say about his Extra Life event that he's running, and tell us about out your trashy Anti. That's what you're it's your trashy Anti, right, is that what it is?
Speaker 3: Well, you're on the right track for sure.
Speaker 1: Did promise to give us her number at the end of the show. I'm very excited for you.
Speaker 3: I do have contact information, Yeah, okay, okay, So tell us about Trashy Anti. Yes, hi everyone, I'm Thomas and we're running a special fundraiser for an organization called Extra Life for Kids. It raises money for the Children's Miracle Network, so money goes to local children's hospital. So for us, we have Jim Pattison Children's Hospital here in Saskatoon, and so for our event, the money that we raise, that's what it's going to go towards.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then your aunties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Hold on, I want to stop you there. I want to stop you there, because I'm sure people have heard of Extra Life and and they have done the people and organizers have used Extra Life in the past to do fundraising for whatever cause that they're that they want, right, Like, it's kind of a it's kind of like a social platform for fundraising, is that right?
Speaker 3: Kind of Yeah. So like every year on November second or something like that, they do a game Day yep. And that's like across both Canada and the US. It's kind of around that time they do a big old game day and that's kind of the big push for the end. So, for example, in Saskatoon, we're doing on November second and third, a twenty four hour gaming marathon.
Speaker 2: We have done these before. Yeah, it's when it's that's when Aid and Aiden and you cheers and the bottom fell out of his schooner and it soaked him.
Speaker 1: And the people on the floor underneath us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because so much beer spilled that it dripped off the balcony of the bar that we were at onto the people's dinner, and the restaurant had to camp their whole dinner.
Speaker 1: Man, Yeah, yes, I do.
Speaker 2: It was so soaked.
Speaker 1: That's what happens when you put cold beer in a warm glass. That's science. That's real science.
Speaker 2: I suppose that's brandology, science in real application.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, So extra Life trash Ante for the Jim Pattison Children's Hospital, I got that right, Okay, for the foundation, for the foundation. Yeah, and I'm going to say the hospital because in my mind that's what it is. I know it's for the foundation. I've brought my son there. It's relatively new, like in the last five years.
Speaker 3: Yes, hospital, So they officially opened in September of twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: Okay, just that you.
Speaker 3: Know what that we don't talk about anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, okay. So when I brought my son there, brand new at the time, because it was in February of twenty twenty, he ran into the cupboard, cut his head open. And a very nice place, very worthy. Cause if you're a local and want to come to the trash Anti event, so tell us about it.
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 2: What does it mean?
Speaker 3: What is trash antie? Yes, that's a great question. So surprisingly it's not a relative.
Speaker 2: Oh what sad, I'm not coming, I'm going home.
Speaker 3: But like, so you guys remember back in the day with magic, like do you remember like the whole Anti days, like where you would have your deck and you'd have to like Anti a card.
Speaker 2: So Anti is, before you start the game, you offer up one of your cards as tribute. If you lose the game, your opponent gets that card. Now, this isn't a way that Wizards of the Coast condones anybody to play, because it is it is gambling.
Speaker 1: Because packs aren't gambling.
Speaker 2: But when we say when we say trash antie, you're you're eliminating like the extravagant cost of MTG in some meaningful ways. So so it kind of takes the the fieldbads for losing your cards out of it. So tell us, tell us the rules.
Speaker 3: Sure, sure, sure, okay, so trash anti. First off, the big thing is it's budget, right, We're talking about doing something new and budgets and whatnot. So your deck must be less than forty USD in its entirety. This includes your commander, your basic plan.
Speaker 4: Your basics. To get fucked, you have to pay extra to play. Blue islands do.
Speaker 1: Cost more money? Islands cost than other basics.
Speaker 2: Yes, how do you know that?
Speaker 1: Why wouldn't I? How do you not know that.
Speaker 3: You can find them somewhere? I'm sure a good thing you guys gotten me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I suppose I suppose okay, so forty dollars decks lands included. Yes, and it's an anti format.
Speaker 3: And so your commander must be less than five dollars USD. Right, okay, yeah, load up your deck list on Moxfield Architects so we can confirm. I just bet you're not trying to break the budget.
Speaker 2: So no, no, I want io on Brown rule based when Thomas is telling him the rules, that's all.
Speaker 1: I want.
Speaker 2: Five dollars commander. Did you know that rule? No? Okay, five dollar commanded, five dollar commander and lands are included. And what was the other on?
Speaker 3: Forty USD?
Speaker 2: Forty USD total? And you have to freaking upload your deck onto what did you.
Speaker 3: Say, Moxfield or architect.
Speaker 2: Oh you're lucky you told them Boxfield.
Speaker 1: So you addition to all of this crap. And it's all of this crap. I have to start a mox Field account.
Speaker 2: To well, if you want you can upload it onto your CECO Brando architect Okay.
Speaker 3: Okay, continue architect is good, and we just we're just gonna use the TCG player estimates for the charm good enough because most people cost exactly most people own most of these cars already, so we don't expect people to necessarily go out because like, well, do you guys remember, how did Commanders start as a format?
Speaker 2: Oh? When way back? Okay, so way way back, and it's back before you think, like, it's not twenty eleven and it's not two thousand and eight when like lots of people started. It was even before that. It was a group of judges. And I'm paraphrasing because I've read this before. We've talked about it a little bit. Group of judges. They don't want to play the regular stuff that they're judging at. The standard shit at the time, or they're they're.
Speaker 1: Monitor didn't exist yet.
Speaker 2: And they're familiar with all of the interactions in the gameplay and the best deck because they're all like high level judges. So they make up this format where it's singleton of whatever you have or want or doesn't normally see play in a normal format with a leader a general they were called at the time a general that also didn't see any play, And the original rule was it had to be an elder Dragon from Legends and that set your decks colors that it could play, right, and there was the set list of rules that are now Commander. But it started with playing stuff that didn't normally see play. That's the point, right, Yeah, that's exactly it.
Speaker 3: So nowadays you play Commanded, you go to any pod at any event. If someone's playing a white deck, they're going to have a fucking swords and a path.
Speaker 1: Episode swords and a path yes, smothering tie.
Speaker 3: So there's these color packages that we just see across Commanders. So with our trash ante kind of idea is yes, you're gonna antap a card. We'll get to exactly how it works in a half a second here. But also it's kind of like an homage to where Commander came from. We want people to play those draft schaff cards. We want people to play those like fucking giant growths that no, you don't actually see and they're printed in every set, but you don't actually.
Speaker 2: Had an idea. I just had an idea, what if because you always say this and you're having trouble with building the deck already, and we're going to talk about that. Man, what if you did just go to the floor of the LGS just built your deck. What if we could make a rule for Brandle that if it's on the floor, you can play it.
Speaker 1: Well, because then I might just start, you know, dropping stuff on.
Speaker 2: The literally trash.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a couple other really cool requirements that we've got to Okay, right, so there's so we've talked about the budget restrictions, right, and we've talked about why we're selecting those cards specifically, but also we've decided to take it one step further because with the whole trash component, it's the like it's the draft jaff, Right, You're not playing fucking lightning Greens or something like that. You're playing the giant gross of the world, the five to ten cent cards.
Speaker 2: Okay, I I got a question. I don't want to forget it, but for sure.
Speaker 3: But in addition to that, you're not allowed a standard traditional deck box. You have to use I don't know what we're gonna call it. I think we're just gonna call it a deck carrying device that is non standard. So For example, are a good friend Aaron. He has like a double ziploc bag being with like a little bit of like so there right bag the deck.
Speaker 2: Do not google that.
Speaker 3: Another friend of ours has talked about using like a plant pot for his I know that was me well, and someone else was talking about it too, So there's like two people. Now. Our good friend Kiren, who is one of the organizers, held me out with this. Yeah, he's got a really cool lego. Oh yeah, deck box that you build.
Speaker 2: That's actually cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you got to build something or not build, but you got to use something that is non traditional.
Speaker 2: How how appropriate is that? I don't know if the mics can pick it up, but there's a garbage truck right outside the studio and it's beeping. How appropriate is that that we're listening to a beeping garbage truck? My deck boss idea is drilling a hole through my entire deck and then clamping it together with a big key ring. That's my Yeah, that's awesome, right, just clamp it to my keys.
Speaker 3: Just get a big old carabineer, just walk her out.
Speaker 2: That's perfect. On one of those retractable strings. Severe time I draw a card, it's just.
Speaker 1: Like God, oh so good.
Speaker 3: And on the day of the event, we're going to have a vote to see which is the most unique, most creative like deck carrying device.
Speaker 2: Prizes for that.
Speaker 3: So we have three grand prizes that we're going to be handing out. So one of the grand prizes is for the most creative interesting deck carrying device.
Speaker 1: Yeah right.
Speaker 3: So then the second thing that's kind of an interesting restriction for trash Ante because we're going deep in the trash. Yeah right, right, is that you're not allowed any sleeves at all, no sleep, not even your commander raw dog.
Speaker 2: Right now, raw Dog, I've done this, We've done CECO raw Dog decks before, right, This is this is one of the things that that at least people who've come to the CECO experience have a lot of experience in and they have raw dog tournaments where they literally and and it was kind of gross this airbnb we stayed at in Vegas. It was dirty and stinky and they played no sleeves, no play mats on the floor.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: So I know that you probably have tables at your events.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the plan is to have tables, but if people want to play on the floor, that is that is their choice.
Speaker 1: We do whatever we want.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we'll be playing on the floor, We'll be playing on the sidewalk. I would love to donate a little gaming pack from Commander Cookout, like like maybe some sleeves. So after you're done, if you want to commemorate your deck in stone and kind of sleave it and play it, sleeves and just some some Commander cook Up merchant stuff, I'd like that.
Speaker 3: So there we go. So if you come and participate, one of the grand prizes at least will have some extra cco.
Speaker 2: There you go. Okay, and maybe some sleeves, maybe some maybe some raw dog leaves here. I think I have some right in my pocket.
Speaker 3: They're thinking, yeah, yeh perfect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, your raw dog deck.
Speaker 1: Why didn't you give him the finger? That's how that joke works.
Speaker 3: I have some sleeves too, here, hang on right, throw it across there.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 3: That's how you do it, right.
Speaker 2: It's so good, so good. Okay. The question that I had, now that we know some of the rules forty dollars yea, and a couple other build restrictions, but was there any thing that you ran into that you're like, oh crap, right, because When we talk about building budget on the show, A lot of the times you call them binder builds for box builds, where it's like, I want to build a deck. I don't want to spend money, but maybe I have this new commander that.
Speaker 1: I like, here's all the ship that I have.
Speaker 2: Let's let's open up this binder and build a deck. And then I tell you Brando Foyle Dolman gates one hundred dollars and you're like, oh what, Oh.
Speaker 1: I didn't know.
Speaker 2: I thought this was a budget deck. It didn't cost me any money because I bought this out of a booster pack for three dollars in eighteen sixty two, when I was already four hundred years old. And it turns into a not budget deck. Like when I built my crab deck, I was just like, I have a buy you and it's a five color deck. I'm gonna put this by you in it. Yeah, right, And then my deck is like a thousand dollars deck on arcer deeck because by you, because by you? Yeah. So was there anything that when you were going through binders or boxes you were like, oh, this is one hundred dollars Dolmand gate. I can't play it for me personally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when I was building my deck now sidely because I started with the like I'm only adding cards to this deck list that are like less than a dollar.
Speaker 2: That you've already verified, but I've already terrified. Yeah exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but there's been a number of people, Like we were talking a little bit earlier about like you know trap rhymes with brash.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, is he gonna make an appearance in your deck?
Speaker 1: Too expensive? But too many dollars? Doesn't fit the budget? What am I supposed to do? What am I supposed to do? So?
Speaker 3: How much is he nowadays? Like what could you get a new one for?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: Okay, but here's the thing. You have a forty dollars USD budget, right. If you want to include him, you just have to make sure some of your other cards are like ten cents thirty forty cents.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: If you adjust your budget and you want to play that, you can make it work. You just have to like make it fit in the budget.
Speaker 2: There's no there's no extra band list, so we do have I think I would think maybe like brash tuntor should be on the band list.
Speaker 1: What is it because he's the most powerful, most versatile, most handsomest creature we could possibly play?
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 1: Is that why?
Speaker 3: I mean that that was that was the first list of reasons why.
Speaker 2: Yes, But so is there like a different band list though.
Speaker 3: Kind of so like all the normal commander I know it's a sensitive topic right now, but the normal commander band and restricted and all that other, all the normal commander rules apply. In addition to that, Farewell is fucking banned. This is a tournament and we don't got time for that ship. Okay, that's number one, number two, any like, dual face cards are banned, so like mdfc's battles that kind of stuff, because we're raw dogging it.
Speaker 2: What about what about the placeholder cards that have a magic.
Speaker 1: No keep it?
Speaker 3: Cause here's the thing. If you anti the placeholder card, that's the card that they get. They just get the fucking placeholder card.
Speaker 1: So I think I've found a way to game the system. Baby, it's wear a wolf a clock. Hell yeah, wait, can you imagine.
Speaker 3: No sided cards because they're marked cards then rightah. But other than that, pretty much like whatever you like, board wipes are discouraged. We're running this tournament. We have limited time slots. Some commander games go on forever.
Speaker 1: So we're trying to like, are we playing tim rounds in that timed round?
Speaker 3: Yes, so we're doing time rounds.
Speaker 2: Getting serious, yeah, because it's.
Speaker 3: A tournament, like we wanted to be casual. This is not CDH. Just to be very clear, this is not CDH. Just people.
Speaker 2: So we don't when people show up with crumpled decks, and decks would strump through them pretty sure. Uncle Brendo's bringing his freaking Gulgary deck with a dead plant and the freaking the dead plant and the dirty I lost my topic where we're going to not CDH timed round.
Speaker 3: Time time rounds. So we have a limited amount of time in the afternoon, and so this is this is the first time we're running it. So our estimated what we're gonna try to do is fifty rounds. When you hit fifty minutes, you go to like turn, so the person playing his turn zero and you each get one additional turn and at sixty and that you're just like hard cut a hard done hard. Now you might ask, okay, but then like, how is there a winner? How do you get points? Well, that's where the anti composient component component. Composent component comes in because, like we're talking about how do you play anti right, So the basic idea, you shuffle up your deck, you put your commander in the command zone. That one's safe, it's out of the way. You take the top card of your deck and you put it face down in the anti zone.
Speaker 1: Face down.
Speaker 3: You don't see what it is, and you don't reveal that card until the end of the game.
Speaker 2: And you know what I like is probably in this format there's not a ton of tutors because most tutors are expensive. So when you're searching your deck, when you're tutoring, Oh, what card was it? What card am I missing? What card of my missing You're not.
Speaker 3: Gonna know, Yeah, exactly like it unless you're like expert. But maybe so for the most part, it's going to be like a surprise. And then you play a normal game of commodity, you cut your deck blah blah blah blah. If you knock someone out, so for example, brand is brush. Yeah, I'm playing my I don't know, Moto white Angels that are I don't know, cheap in some way. Yeah, if you get knocked out and he defeats me, I get knocked out for whatever reason, mill, combat damage, et cetera. He at the end of the game will get my anti card.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you just have to keep track of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. So the idea is that you might add like an hour the game is over and there's still three people playing or two people playing, but as long as one person's been knocked out, there is still a point and anti card that has been gained.
Speaker 2: Anti cards are worth a point kind of.
Speaker 3: We're not using points, we're just using anti cards as the point.
Speaker 2: Sorry. Yeah, total number of anti cards at the end of the tournament gets you a procey.
Speaker 3: So that brings us to our second grand prize.
Speaker 2: Okay, hold on, we haven't how do you resolve a sixty minute game with no winner?
Speaker 3: There we go. So that's it. The game's just cut off. That's it. That's fine.
Speaker 1: Over, it's over.
Speaker 2: Take your empty card back. It's over, and you take your anti card back. Unless you were eliminated, then you lost your so exactly that.
Speaker 3: So we wrap it up at the end of the round. If you did not lose or you won, you will keep your anti card. You can look at it. Aha, I kept it. Put it back in your deck. If you lost your anti card, you then sign your anti card because cool, yeah.
Speaker 2: Now drawn dicks on it. Though I hate that.
Speaker 3: As long as the card is legible, I don't care, like, as long as you can read the rule tex and then the person gets that. And the fun part about this is now, if you win any anti cards, they go into your deck for any subsequent games. And so we found this as kind of like an interesting balance because if you're winning a lot, right, let's say you've got some sort of broken combo or whatever and you win a lot of anti cards, that dilutes your deck, so it dilutes the percentage of getting your good cards, which kind of balances it out right.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I subscribe to that mentality.
Speaker 3: And then also on the other side of things, if you lose a lot, hopefully you're losing like lands or whatever, but your concentration of cards go down because when you lose an anti card, your deck total maximum goes down by one, goes down, so it's from one hundred to ninety nine, et cetera. And anti cards don't count towards your deck total, Okay, so you could have in theory one hundred and six cards in your deck or in theory, you could have like ninety six cards in your deck. Yeah right, and so better or worse chance of actually getting those good cards I had.
Speaker 2: And I've asked you this question in preparation before, and I know what the answer is. But have you ever considered like the old school traditional way of anti ing, at least in my experience, And I've played like this lots. This is this is actually how I play, like in after hours when I do like sealed and stuff. When I don't want to do Commander, I'll roll a six sided die and that's how many cards you anti.
Speaker 3: So we have we have things that we're planning. So this is a fundraiser, okay, right, where the point of this event is to yes, have fun, Yes, pay homage to Commander blah blah blah blah blah. But the main reason is to raise money for Children's Miracle Network for Children's Hospital. So it's a ten dollars donation to get in. But we're planning on a couple like surprise things throughout the events where maybe if you donate an extra amount of money or you anti an extra card, you will get a special effect. So we're not revealing that it's all secret. It's very behind the scenes.
Speaker 1: What is this a cell phone app?
Speaker 3: But also it's like it's budget trash decks. Who cares?
Speaker 1: Can I donate more money to make my budget go higher? No question?
Speaker 2: Can I donate more money so Brando doesn't get brash? Can I donate money for his budget to go down?
Speaker 3: Maybe you donate money and we add things to the band list. Maybe how much put in the comments? How much money does Ryan have to donate for me to ban brash Hunter for this tournament?
Speaker 2: So good, so good.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, buddy, we're targeting you today, man.
Speaker 2: So okay, what's what's the date again?
Speaker 3: November November tenth. November gestration is from twelve forty five to one fifteen because we have to like get people in the queue, get people registered, and then we have to actually like try to play timed games. So once the games are all played well, like organize pods, et cetera, try to like fit winners with winners, et cetera, we get to the third Grand the second grand prize, which is when you finish the tournament. At the end of the third round, whoever has the most anti cards and this is the key part left in your deck is the winner. And now this is key because it's not just how many anti cards you've won, because you might lose because you might have accidentally antied one of the anti cards that you won. So there is definitely there's no way to guaranteed. It's definitely a bit of luck. But yes, whoever has the most anti cards left in their deck at the end of the tournament gets one of the grand prizes and.
Speaker 1: Coolest deck box, most anti cards. So that's like kind of winning games. Yeah, so winning it being creative, winning it playing magic. What's the third way of winning?
Speaker 3: So the third way of winning again, we're trying to like make this cat we're trying to make it fun, or you're trying to make it open to new players but still challenging for players that are more experienced. So the third way to win a grand prize is we're gonna have a little vote at the end, and whoever has the most interesting, most creative, most unusual deck, like whoever sixed who people feel succeeded the most in making an interesting deck with all the constraints placed upon them, We'll also get a grand prize.
Speaker 2: That's part of it. I like that. And just for the record, when you win an anti card, you can cast it with man of any color unless unless you have a a activated ability or an ability a colored pip in the text box, then you have to use that exact color. So things like.
Speaker 3: Kicker Spree escalate those kinds of things. If there's a color pip, you.
Speaker 1: Have to use it.
Speaker 2: If you win your opponent's anti Kenworth Returned King and you're playing blue, you can cast him or blue even though he's white, but you'd only be able to activate his blue ability if you only have blue man of sources in your deck.
Speaker 3: Yes, so we're encouraging people to run color fixing because we hope that you win an anti cart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's what we're hoping.
Speaker 3: Just like filter lands or whatever. But yeah, if you don't have those extra colors of many.
Speaker 2: Well, what you run still has to conform to your commander's color idea. Right, you might still like get boned.
Speaker 1: And I can't play City of Brass or City of Ass they're both.
Speaker 3: And you've brought up a good point of like, when you're casting an anti spell, you can use man of any color to cast it, which is whatever you've got in your deck. But there's an att of restriction because who's gonna Why don't everyone just play artifacts in colorless? Right? If there is a colored pip in the manecost of the spell you're casting, you have to use colored mana to cast that. Yes, yes, so like you can't you just use like colorless to cast for example, like something that's like white and two. Correct, you have to use say like blue and two.
Speaker 2: As if it were men of any color. Yeah, that's not any type.
Speaker 3: So you can't just run like a bunch of like soul rings and all that whatnot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but okay, Well November ten.
Speaker 3: November tenth, right statue in Saskatoon in and Conference Center. Registration starts at twelve forty five.
Speaker 2: Hold on, I'm going to tell people because I'm going to post post this like on our local magic groups and stuff. Saskatoon In and Conference Center is where all of the face to face games events happen. So it's the same place right with the with the restaurant and the ramps that go up to the conference rooms by the airport. That's where it is. It's the same freaking place, Saskatoon In.
Speaker 3: And we're very thankful because this is a fundraiser. So the Sastoon and Conference Center, we have an inn. One of the people that works there is a huge nerd an in and it actually donated this space. So one of the things where we're kind of like side encouraging people is like, please come down, rent a hotel room, go to the restaurant, have something at the cafe, and wanted to kind of like encourage them that this is a good thing that they want to support.
Speaker 1: Are you saying that we should go there and just wait drink a beer? Yes, before and after you would like it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, okay, right that that is like the cherry on top of the cake.
Speaker 1: It is the cherry on the top of the Sunday.
Speaker 2: The cherry on top of the pile of trash.
Speaker 1: They don't talk about her like that, she's a nice lady.
Speaker 2: I want to I want to talk a little bit about magic. Now. I want to talk a little bit about I got one more.
Speaker 1: Question for so the people out there listening they think this sounds like fun, because it does sound like fun. Yes, sir, what if in their local community they have an extra life fundraiser going on they want to become a part of it, and they want to steal this format for themselves and use it wherever they are. Is that okay?
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely, this is like I said, it isn't even my personal brain child. It's it was a team effort, a bunch of us work together to build it. And so if you look down in the doublee doo just below.
Speaker 2: This video also comments or description description, there we go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's old Internet's lane. There's a link to our extra life page. It has all of the rules and details all on the extra Life page there. If you if you want to run one of these events in your home community, fucking copy and paste and go for it. We support that one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now keep in mind as you're looking for like prizes and connection to people. Antie is not supported by WPNS stores that are official and whatnot because anti is not an official format, et cetera. But like, it's gonna be fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's gonna be fun and the stakes are so low with forty dollars decks most likely if you've opened a booster box ever or have a long white box of commons and and you know what, really, if you're that worried about losing cards, go through a long white box and just pick commons and on commons that you have more than one of. So if you lose one, like, that's gonna be the caliber of deck here.
Speaker 3: That's the point is cards that you don't mind losing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's the way of it. Some people have to give things up so others can keep them. Mind. What a beautiful sentiment.
Speaker 1: One last thing, the last thing for Thomas, What do you playing?
Speaker 3: Would I tell? Should I keep it a surprise?
Speaker 2: Actually?
Speaker 1: I have to have two more questions. What if I play Corona the False God? What is that? Corona the False God is a five cost homie that travels around the table everybody against control of Freaking editor.
Speaker 2: Joe thought he didn't have to put cards on.
Speaker 1: I tricked them. Yeah, so Corona like changes control between opponents and stuff. Right, But she's still my commander, so I can still vulture on her all up and she's killing people, right. What if somebody uses my Corona? If you use my Corona to kill Ryan, who gets the anti car my Corona takes your anti card?
Speaker 3: That is a great question. If you look on the extra Life page, I literally have one or two whole sections on like special circumstances, which also is kind of fun because we don't have an official judge, so there's literally just a bunch of US organizers that are gonna have t shirts that say judge on them, and like, part of our ruling is gonna be.
Speaker 2: I already told you wrong, and.
Speaker 3: If you like fuck up or cheat or whatever, then you just have to like anti an extra card or something like.
Speaker 1: That, so I can cheat as long as an anti card. All this is good.
Speaker 3: Now go back to your question of like, if your commander knocks out someone else, who gets the antiquarde? So the rules is written according to what I think I have on the page right now, is whoever does the knocking out gets the anti card. So if someone else is controlling your commander and they say I'm an attack and they attack the person and they kill that person, rules is written right now, they would get the antiquarde.
Speaker 4: Man that takes two of my deck ideas, get creative, Okay, crying.
Speaker 2: This goes back to what I wanted to say or what I what I.
Speaker 1: Have to answer other questions.
Speaker 3: What was the second question?
Speaker 1: What do you play?
Speaker 3: Here's the thing I probably won't get to play as an organism maybe fucking running around you play.
Speaker 1: In this event.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I'm playing Mono Green.
Speaker 2: Omnath Mono Green Omna. He's under five bucks.
Speaker 3: He is, he's like three ninety something or whatever last I checked.
Speaker 2: And he You're using like almost four bucks of your budget to just for your command, just.
Speaker 3: For my commander. So it's a lot of it's like half ramp and half card draw and that's it. And that's like I'm running a bunch of like the whatever they called their filter lands, like the grotto and that kind of what no, and then like decanter of endless water for some color fixing, and like just like it, it's trash. That's the point.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, okay, the trash. We talked about binder building a little bit and and how that doesn't work with budgets, like the traditional definition of budget. Sometime, I would love to pick your guys's brains. You get the fly on you, Yeah, I touched it. I'd love to pick your guys's brains on kind of going outside of the box when you build, or in this case, the trash can. And even even if it's just like one piece of advice when you are doing a different kind of build or a different kind of but in this case budget what is your piece of advice and then you can have a couple of minutes to prepare answer okay?
Speaker 1: For mine, I think that the key is to find a different Like you say, you got to find a different way to do the same thing, and you can't.
Speaker 2: Just what is the thing deal forty damage to somebody? Yes, okay, because.
Speaker 1: It's always still forty damage to someone you're talking to me. So I found when I was preparing for this deck, all of my old fallbacks just didn't work. First fallback, first crush, every new format. Goblins can't do it cost too much money.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, some goblins quite expensive.
Speaker 1: Goblins cost too many dollars. So what's the next one?
Speaker 2: Down?
Speaker 1: Burn burn not very good in four people les.
Speaker 2: You go big and then you need like a fiery emancipation or some thirty dollars.
Speaker 1: Cars, and all those earthquakes cost more than you'd think. Can't play that. So then you go down to dredge the Dredge package and gets trog monster lots of money.
Speaker 2: So that suped ye.
Speaker 1: So you gotta find creative or jank ways to shoehorn all the crap that you want to do into a I've also discovered that all the efficient removal costs a buck.
Speaker 3: We're playing like four or five man of removal years like.
Speaker 1: Oh, man, Like, oh, you want to play a blue blast? Are you kidding me? You think this is a real format? No, no blasts for you. They're a buck? Like what the god?
Speaker 2: And is it? Is it cheapest printing or card you have in your deck?
Speaker 3: So that's a that's a great question. And we've kind of discussed this quite a bit because I'm cut.
Speaker 1: From the team. If I can't play cards that I own, I'm cut from the team. I don't own a foil basic Plan or nonfoil basic Plan, I don't.
Speaker 2: I got you back, probably got a couple.
Speaker 3: So like as a card as a card, as a card, right, it has the same effect. So what we're saying is if you own the card, because you stll have to build it on architect or Maxfield to prove that your deck is worth less than four dollars, you can just use the cheapest printing. So even even if you want to like throw a foil in there, that's your risk. But as long as like the cheapest printing that you could put in the deck is whatever makes the budget.
Speaker 2: I've been saving, Oh baby, Oh, here we go. I've been saving every common and uncommon foil I've ever gotten. This could be the day I build an all foil anti deck.
Speaker 3: Oh God, and you're gonna put a screw through it and put it on a clip od. Yeah, I can't wait. This is gonna be so good.
Speaker 2: I might bolt them together with like nuts and bolts, extra sing.
Speaker 3: Just like on each corner. Just put a hole through and then you've got Every time you pick up your deck, you have to like screw ant and bolt in each corner.
Speaker 2: I gotta do some occupational fricking therapy to draw card?
Speaker 1: How are you gonna add cards to it and still be able to put it on your key ring? If you drill a whole through, you have to bring your drill with you. I guess that works well.
Speaker 3: Well, that's or your drill case is your deck box.
Speaker 2: Ah, that's why he gets paid the big bucks people.
Speaker 3: That's why I get paid Nothing.
Speaker 1: That's not true. You are a very helpful member of society. Our friend Thomas is a registered nurse.
Speaker 2: Yes, very specifically an auck warners, not one of these ward nurse fucking sissies.
Speaker 1: He's a real nurse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he doesn't get to put fingernails on it, band aids out of kid's hair like a ward nurse. Duck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's in there with no fingernails because he chewed them all off because he's too busy treating gunshot wounds and picking knives on it people's heads.
Speaker 2: Yes, and setting people's legs back straight when they fucking look like they got extra elbows. Yeah, that was me.
Speaker 3: It was me to be clear. All nurses are awesome. We support you guys. You guys are great, But emergennises are better.
Speaker 1: Yes, actually emerge nurses because they're just better at being nurses and people.
Speaker 2: My neighbor's an emerge nurse. She probably knows you.
Speaker 3: Oh, probably probably they are. But does she want the show? Does she watch this show?
Speaker 2: Does she watch this show? Yeah, I'm gonna tell her.
Speaker 1: To she damn better now that we've talked trash about her. Yeah, I feel like talking trash about people. I'm gonna tell her fire away to get them to watch the show.
Speaker 2: I'm going to tell her to dress up as trash Anti for spooky season. There is what is your creative thing that you have to do. What's your way of going outside the box? What do you do? How do you go outside of the box to make it deck?
Speaker 3: So for me, I'm gonna be very vulnerable here for a moment. Okay, we're just gonna take a moment.
Speaker 2: I'm ready.
Speaker 3: I literally started all over me. I literally started playing Magic Gathering in twenty twenty two. Okay, so I just celebrated my two year anniversary of ever touching a magic card.
Speaker 2: Every baby.
Speaker 1: Wow, so you don't own any valuable cards? I see how it is. That's excellent.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I'm I'm quite new where I'm at. I jumped in head first. Yes, like I was at Chicago, Hi everyone, But like I had an amazing time learning Magic the Gathering of the last couple of years. But it's still something that like I struggle with, like where do I begin? What do I start with? Yeah, I have a couple of themes that I like. So I like things like life Gain, I like tokens, I like plus one counters, that kind of stuff, and so I kinda when when I'm starting a deck, I usually just well I usually just pick a commander that I opened in a pack that I.
Speaker 1: Think was cool.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's how I just build around it. Let go from there.
Speaker 2: That's why when you open booster packs. That's the design philosophy that wrecked wrecked Nadu is every card needs to have a place where it can be played. So we tweaked this thing on Nadu so could find a home and commander and fucking wrecked it.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: But that is the reason that opening up booster packs, especially for new players, is fun, because all cards should have a home when you see them, right, yeah.
Speaker 3: And that's kind of like again, one of the things that we're hoping to do with this is bring them back a little bit. We want to see cards that we don't see normally. How's turning back on you?
Speaker 1: How about you?
Speaker 2: What is my way of going outside of the box or trash can?
Speaker 1: In this you're going out of the box and into the trash can.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, yeah, I I The last few decks I've built are things that I try to bring things that I enjoy from outside of magic into magic, right and the last the second last deck I built was my Marvel Deep Operative deck. It's the one where you you clash with opponents. Oh yeah, and clash is literally exactly the same as the card game War, where you flip over and who's got the higher pip count on their card wins those cards. Marvel makes you do that and and they you win the clash and get to cast something for free. So that's like a different card game into my card game. My Cascade deck is like gambling, and I love the feeling of gambling and winning. That's the best. But that can lead to addiction and that's not a good thing to have. So instead I play Cascade and it's like playing a slot machine, right, So I like to bring things from outside in.
Speaker 3: So what's your idea? Do you have an idea for this deck to have you built a deck for trash antie.
Speaker 2: I haven't. I really like the idea of using all those extra foils I have because I would be the most fucking baller guy at the event. For once, you're not gonna be baller. You can play all foils put all. I got the best idea.
Speaker 3: Here we go.
Speaker 2: Put a dark misprinted Griffin Canyon into your anti deck. See if somebody can win it from me.
Speaker 1: It's not like I don't have an extra one.
Speaker 3: I'm laughing and crying. You heard it today, come down to the event win.
Speaker 1: Well maybe you could win your print Visions Canyon. Don't know, because everybody's gonna try and kill me.
Speaker 3: I'm playing the meta game.
Speaker 1: What if I slight have handed your deck so that I put it on top of yours when you flip your anti card. It was the dark miss Visions Canyon the whole time.
Speaker 3: I have it.
Speaker 1: My god, that was the best.
Speaker 2: I had it for a second, but I antie did it? Back to Brando, are.
Speaker 1: You so desperate to kill me? This game not even a threat? Oh you'll find out. Oh you don't even get to sign the front of it, only the backs that when I flip it over you can see what it wants.
Speaker 2: Oh that was the best. Okay, that's that's it. That's it. Come down November tenth to the Saskatoon inan conference center. Make a donation. Ten bucks is gonna get you in. It goes to the kids. It could be my kid. As the only person in this building and on the property that owns a kid. I was gonna say, and.
Speaker 3: I'm been to.
Speaker 2: The hospital that this money is going to very worthy cause. Any any final thoughts Before we headed over to Brando for the final final thoughts.
Speaker 3: Just everyone is welcome, right and like we've got as long as you're not a dick. Well that's that's literally zero point four I think on the pages.
Speaker 1: Don't be a jerk, okay, but yeah, it's.
Speaker 3: For everyone, right, So anyone from like like someone like me who just started recently getting back into magic or into magic for the first time, or someone with a lot more knowledge and experience, everyone is welcome. Come on down, build a fun deck, have some fun, maybe win some anti cards, maybe win some grand prizes.
Speaker 2: Prepare to freaking lose.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all your questions should be answered follow the link down below, but you can always comment. You can email. We have an email setup for this event. It's tacked like T A c T Trash Anti Commander Tournament tacked dot MTG at gmail dot com, so you can send us any questions or concerns.
Speaker 2: There. I look at that trash Anti Commander Tournament. I'm gonna be freaking I'm gonna show up with my freaking war paint costumes encouraged. Oh yeah, super awesome tactical vests that all those guys that drive big trucks with their freaking punisher stickers in the back windows, and I'm gonna pull it out. That's gonna be my deck box. It's actually like a throwing knife carrying case. That's my dad.
Speaker 3: That sounds I love it.
Speaker 1: Actually, I kind of like.
Speaker 2: We're gonna go out of the Army surplus store right next to Al's. Al Anderson's sources see.
Speaker 1: My tribute to Tyler Matuley Stone were I put it into a plant pot. Then I carry around the pond plant the whole day. It sounded way less exciting. Now tactical plant a human head in order to win this contest, not that I'd ever do that.
Speaker 3: Obviously, or maybe you have your your your whatever's poolball on a socceror whatever. So thank you, and the deck on top, deck in.
Speaker 2: A sock, you deck sock?
Speaker 1: I was. I don't know why I was about to say cock and a sock. I don't know why I was gonna.
Speaker 2: Say, yeah, deck in a sock. That's that sounds like something that we should have come up with something dirty for like four hundred episodes ago. Yeah, that's when we met Max Crandell.
Speaker 1: We're way behind the eight ball on that one. But they're speaking of being behind the eight ball. We're all gonna be there. We're gonna be building budget stuff, insane things. I'm having a bit of trouble getting going, but a bunch I get there. That's deep ship.
Speaker 2: That sounds like butt stuff. How come we've never made a budget stuff choke before? Man, so many opportunities.
Speaker 1: Man, we've been slipping this whole We've been slipping slowly downhill this entire.
Speaker 2: We've been slippery, sloping down the hill the whole time the day. Say with the business daddies.
Speaker 1: Thank you to Fusion Gaming Online dot Com for all of their assistance in bringing this show to all of you. We appreciate that. Remember going down to Fusion Gaming Online dot Com you ceeco Summer special promo quotes, say five percent of all the stuff that you could use to play in your very own trash anti tournament that you should definitely have in your hometown, and let us know how it goes. After we plan this one, we're gonna tell you all about how we did, and it's gonna be a lot of fun. I'm just assuming. Thanks Thomas for being here. Is our very very first guest ever on Commander Cookout.
Speaker 2: Technically not what bullshit we have had guests on before on the phone. We've prank called Max Crandell and we have done crossovers with h REC. Oh yeah, so CMD Central.
Speaker 1: First guest in studio with us. We got there. We physically got him in here after his night shift at work.
Speaker 2: We saved many lives. What about producer Gary when I broke.
Speaker 1: My leg, Well, there was only one of us that was a co host and like, big thank you to you guys for having me on and supporting Children's Miracle Network.
Speaker 3: You guys are awesome. Thank you for promoting this and hoping helping us raise money for children's.
Speaker 1: If there's anything I love, it's juggling children. Ye're still learning. I'm not very good yet, but we're gonna get there, and I'm gonna tell you all about my adventures and learning how to do that with the next exciting episode of Commander Cookout podcast penar Thing.
Speaker 2: We did have DJ in Vegas as well one time. Remember that pentose that we were in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fuck that guy.