Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jagan Zalez on Fox Sports fourteen fifty powered by Nova Insurance Services and Sure Your Most Prized Possessions kat z R two SAD at iHeartRadio Station.
Speaker 2: Goo.
Speaker 3: Good afternoon, everybody. Welcome to I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, He's Jagan Zawas. You've got a guy Henry and today welcome to Monday. I have one thing to say to you, Jay. You will be allowed to ask questions on the show today. Certain people aren't allowed to ask questions.
Speaker 4: Oh that's right.
Speaker 3: I saw that in Colorado or at Clemson. At Clemson too. Well, Clemson does his radio show, right, uh huh? And you remember that last year? Okay, so he had a show, he has his week. Yeah, so last year he had a show like every coach has the show takes Collins blah blah blah. So last year a guy called in and ripped him, Malcolm, we pay you eleven million dollars to be mediocre. And he went off like.
Speaker 4: Tow, I remember that, and then he and then he then.
Speaker 3: Donald went and got his shot in this year, no question, no calls, no calls, no questions. They're gonna take text questions so that way we'll be able to fil throughout the questions.
Speaker 4: It's dangerous to begin with, to take live questions, you know on the show. Yeah, we get scared of now and agin we never know, right, you never know now, you know that. That's okay. I'm okay with that. If they're still taking questions, you text your questions. And if you're gonna be a jerk, then they're not gonna let you be a jerk on the radio. I'm okay with that. Yeah, the whole But the Sanders thing, he just doesn't like a guy who thinks has been criticals, so he's not gonna let ask questions anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he has been critical, calling him names a little. But that's what they do. That's what colinists do.
Speaker 4: Uh. It's very bizarre. The thing about it.
Speaker 3: It's not gonna prevent him from doing his job. He's going to go to the game right about the games and if Jagan's office is part of the Denver Post, guess what you're gonna do, Jay, You're gonna ask questions and this guy X guy is going to write his call using the responses. It happened here right, uh, for for Greg with with Wilder and all the guys that preceded him, he asked, they ask the questions, and he put together his column. You can't you can't prevent it.
Speaker 4: You're not. Yeah, he's still gonna write what he's gonna write. It's just okay. So he doesn't get to ask you that specific question, but somebody will. Somebody will, or he'll write off of what he hears anyway, and that's what most of us do. Now, you know what the dumb thing about it is, Dion Sanders is bigger than life. Sure right, he's the guy you know. You know this calumnist isn't more famous than Dion. He's not getting more attention than Dion. Why does Dion feel he needs to do that? Well, I guess you know he's he's running the show. He's done this before.
Speaker 3: We saw we talked about this from now again the the World series with MacArthur McCarver and Carver macarver when he jumped the dump the water and its O there you are right, and then he did this. I guess that Jackson Jackson, Jackson State. So this is nothing new to him. But you know how coaches are, they kind of want to control Sean, try to do it for a long time, Sean.
Speaker 4: You know, but he didn't cut anybody out. No, he didn't cut it.
Speaker 3: He just did He just didn't answer the questions, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then that's fine. If that's how you want to do things, then that's fine. But this childishness, this pettiness, and that's all it is. It's childish and it's petty for Deon Sanders Hall of Fame football player, you know, a coach, you know, major college football coach making millions of dollars and he's already got millions of dollars in the bank that he's gonna he's gonna go after this one reporter in this way. It's the stupidest thing ever.
Speaker 3: I guess he He went and spoke more about it on Saturday again, you know, just to follow up, and didn't use the guy's name. He's as well, I just want to see where you're at, you know, see who's with me and who's kind of not with me. Uh well, you already kind of know who is and who isn't. And now by the tone of the question, you just what they write. And that's how this columnist feels, right, that's his entitle his job to be to be a callis it's his job.
Speaker 4: He could totally be.
Speaker 3: The other way and be nice and everything would be happy. I'd be happy, But he's not.
Speaker 4: Every Every coach does things that they need to be criticized for. And we're gonna have Michael lev On today who was critical of of Brent Brennan and what and what they're doing with with with football practice and you know, closing it to the media, you know, and and and not letting the media talk about what they see and all those things, and and and Mike, you know, and Michael had every right to write that column. And we want to talk.
Speaker 3: When did that happen yesterday? The Sunday was in the special section.
Speaker 4: No, no, it was, I saw it online. I don't look, but it was just basically saying you maybe it was even on Saturday. You're missing it. You're missing an opportunity to get your fans engaged by closing off practices, closing and closing off the media. What the hell are you doing?
Speaker 3: Let me go that said, do you think Arizona cares?
Speaker 4: They should? Arizona athletic cares they should, uh, because because that's that's the image that they're sending out there, okay, is that you're not near as welcome as you were when Jed Fish was here. And that's a bad thing. I mean, that's exactly what it's saying, Steve. They're saying, you know, we're not going to be near as open as we were when you know, when Jed who did all the things that Jed did created what's happening now, okay, and now they're closing it off.
Speaker 3: That said, that said, and I'm not trying to go either way, I'm just asking, I'm just the double advocate here. Do you think the readers, listeners, or whomever give a crap? Let me say this, because because in our in our history, my history, uh, they don't care how we get the story or how much trouble we have to go through, how many hoops one, as long as we get the story. And if we don't, on you, you couldn't get the story, you know what I'm saying, Where general Joe public could give a crap of what we do and even hey one to see us gotta not do our job.
Speaker 4: I think under the circumstances. Okay, let's say Jed Fish had not done what he did, you know, opening practices the way he did, welcoming everybody who wanted to see to do that. Let's say, because you know scoops close practices, someone rich Rod Goloes practices, someone closed practice and if that kept going, then that's the way things work. But then Jed opens it up to everybody and lets everybody come in and it's wide open and you can go see practice, and you can get around the players and DA and people have come to expect that, and they needed to do that in order to get people back quote unquote back. Now they're back and you're saying, well, we're gonna cut you off.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: I think they care. I know that the people, the people that I've talked to care, not because they go to practice all the time, but just because they can. They want. We'll ask, we'll ask.
Speaker 3: We're hoping to get to Desiree on the show here in the next few days. We've been asking for a while, so ask him what her thoughts are. And with that kind of tone, where don't you think it would be beneficial to the UA program? A thing that needs to sell tickets and keep the fans happy to gauge the fans.
Speaker 4: Would this help, you know? And I look and I read Brent Brennan's reasons for not having a fall game, you know, where everybody could come, and it goes back to remember they used to have this meet the team, you know, when Dick was here. They'd come, kids would get be on the field, cynautographs and all that stuff, and then they and then they clear the field and then hold a short scrimmage. You know, I've got pictures of my kid walking around on Arizona Stadium turf, right, and people love that. And then they you know Stoops never did that, or maybe he did, but they really toned it down to the point that eventually went away. But to not even have a fall game where fans could come and just see what this looks like ahead of the first game, and you know, answer, we and we don't want to do that. You know, we're we're not going to hit you know, yeah, we're just trying to make sure we get to we get to uh, you know, the first game, nobody's injured. Got the idea, I get that, Yeah, and you can do that. Just send you send your starters out there to run five or six plays and then play everybody else. Fans want that, Steve.
Speaker 3: Well, they could, Well they could have had a fan a meet and greet with the fans and then and then said goodbye. Could have done that too, Yeah, uh, hey, I don't. I'm sure. I'm sure that if the marketing team had any legs or whatever you want to give them, that they could have tried to convince the football program. But but you know, and I know, and and those who kind of know know that the coaches call the shots.
Speaker 4: They do and it's the p R people. You know what, Sometimes it's not even the coaches, it's the it's their general manager, director of operations.
Speaker 3: Out question without question, and not all that, not every time they make the right decisions, and we'll make make a questionable decision. And we know who those guys have been. It says, what the hell's you're thinking? Well, we're doing this because and it doesn't make any sense. But but you're definitely right. And the PR people are, you know, toddling their thumbs saying sorry, we wish we could, but we can't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know right, yeah, yeah, the communications guys are nothing. I'm getting text messages saying yes we do care, Yes we do want to be you know, be able to you know.
Speaker 3: See so right now the text that you're getting, would they go, I mean, are the people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the people that are texting me, we would, Steve, we would get we would, we would make an event of it. Would go meet to Bob Dobbs hang out, have a couple of beers, go to the scrimmage and boom and it was.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 4: It was. It was like a pre a pre season game. Yeah. Well also wanted to do that. I get it. I would, I would, hope.
Speaker 3: And we talked about this maybe two months ago, three months, two months ago when when the other schools, the Ohio States and the Alabama's, I know they're two offs or one offs that are paying five ten bucks to go watch practice, right, and that's how they're getting money for the nil right or the collect or whatever. And that would work here too. But there's twenty people that go in the.
Speaker 4: I know, they don't they shouldn't be charging for it, Okay. But what I'm saying is that for all the hype and hoopla that's gone on since last year and all the excitement that's been generated it's been deathly quiet around here coming out of camp.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I agree.
Speaker 4: Stuff. We're gonna play Brent Brennan's full press conference here. Uh, you know we're talking game week now, right game week. The media got ten minutes with him today, ten minutes. That's how long the break, that's how long the press conference was ten minutes. And that's and then you're and you're gonna get that again on Thursday, two days before the game. We're going to get another ten minutes. Who do you think makes that difference? I don't know. That's sad. I was wondering if that was going to change, right with with with with with Brennan and saying I want to talk to these guys some more. It's not like he's unpleasant.
Speaker 3: Or there's a column. I mean, there's another column. This is what we tell you because this is all we we know, and it's ten minutes.
Speaker 4: Ten minutes actually nine and change.
Speaker 5: That's uh.
Speaker 4: When you know when you'll I mean, we're gonna play it and we're gonna have to fill the last five minutes because because you did it.
Speaker 3: That's how you know, Jay Jay, You've been in that business on that side of the world. Uh, and both sides of the world. You know that's not right.
Speaker 4: I don't know how these guys do right. Where do you get enough to write? Yeah?
Speaker 3: No, no, I'm talking about you're thinking you if you're doing this, you're thinking they need more time. Yeah, I mean it's not like you're imposing on Coach Brennan's time. You're talking five minutes. I hate it, which is I have no time and not just specific to this, but you know, give me a call and I'll have no time. You mean to tell me it's like my mom would come. How come you haven't call me Mom? I'm too busy. Well, you know what, at the end of the day, I'm kind of not too busy. Yeah, you're really say hello to mom, tell her I love her for That was like a four second thing. And that would it would it would have it would have saved There will be a lot of aggravationing at me.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying. That's again, and it's in light of where Arizona Pro Arizonas program is. You just think that somebody over there would say, guys, let's let's do it a little more. Yeah, let's let's let's let's loosen it up a little bit and get and give the medium more time to tell more story.
Speaker 3: Do you think, okay, of the people who are listening now, and maybe we'll get a call edator And then this is going back again to.
Speaker 4: Do they really care?
Speaker 3: But uh, we're generalizing, but we're not generalizing. This is just how it is, and it benefits the media. Benefits the media obviously, and it and it benefits the uvade. They should be there should be no bitching either way.
Speaker 4: Steve, when my kids were little, you have no idea how forward our family looked to meet the team. Oh no, I guess every year we would go over there. You know, they'd give you a poster. The players would be all the tables and then sign we would we every year for my son ad him, we would add the new poster. We had it frame and put it up in his room and every day would put every year and put the new poster on top of it. Finally, when we stopped doing that, look, there were like ten posters, you know with it with all the player signatures and stuff. And and you know, we took him. He was two years old and we took him. He didn't know what the hell was going on. We tied a balloon to his butt so that we wouldn't lose him on the fields, you know, because we enjoyed it. We wanted to be a part of that. And the fact that they don't do that is crazy, especially when you're not asking fans to give money to these players. They want to know the players.
Speaker 3: All the time. No, no, and that's the reason. That's how you couch it. I mean, this does a great question. Yeah, and then maybe she doesn't have an answer because then she has to go to talk to the timmy rights. These guys for tend minutes.
Speaker 4: Come on, really really there we go, We ranted, we ranted, and it's just and I just think it's it's it's it's unfortunate that that that it's come to this.
Speaker 3: Well, this is when the letters start to come in or the emails start to come in from the fans to the people that make the decisions.
Speaker 4: Well, whoever, we've got a caller coming in, but we can't take that call. We got to go to a break. Please call. After the next segment, we're going to play Brent Brandan's press conference. So in the second half, in the after the after the press conference, in the next segment after that, please give us the call we want to hear from fans what you think of all this? And am I overreacting? Maybe some people ever think I am, But I don't think I am because I'm a fan and you know I would want to go to a false scrimmage, you know, right before the season starts. So all right, let's take a break. When we come back the full Brent Brandon press conference from today. Uh, well, we've been playing for you, so stick around.
Speaker 6: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Frowsy aisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 3: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato rock materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway. So I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three.
Speaker 4: Where do you buy exercising question?
Speaker 7: Arizona Health Arizona Health, Arizona Health.
Speaker 8: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals, your health and fitness to serve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading edge and exercise equipment On twenty seconds this quest of Wilmot.
Speaker 9: It's awards season for summer sports leagues and time to look at trophies for baseball, softball, volleyball, and swimming seasons for youth and adult leagues. Summer has arrived and it's time to replenish your promotional products for your company's giveaways. Keep your employees looking great in fresh new apparel, polos and caps with your sharp looking logo. Creative Awards is here to serve your professional and promotional products needs. Visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Rackman Street or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 10: At Noble Home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltepeteam dot com, that's Volpe team dot com or call five two oh sixet eight five six two six today in MLS three oh eight seven Arizona b k Ninez two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity Now that a commitment to lyndrixon credit rates and available loan programs are subject to change the numbers.
Speaker 11: Did you know sports cards at Memorabilia are setting records sales last month of nineteen fifty two tops Mickey Mantle SO for twelve point six million, Lebron James Rookie SO for five point six Also, collecting cards is a family fun hobby that can be very profitable. If you want to start a collection or expand your collection, check out Showtime Cards. They are one of the leading card shops in the country and have served our local community for twenty five years. They are located on e Speedway. That's Showtime Cards.
Speaker 12: Ready to save but not sure where to begin? Take the Pyramid Federal Credit Union ten thousand dollars saving and we'll guide you along the way. Save five hundred dollars over six months as a member and you could win big. Watch your savings grow to help you reach goals like buying a car, owning a home and more. Visit Pyramid FCU dot com Slash ten k challenge to get started today.
Speaker 13: That really insured and CUA guid bugs, termites, bees, or rodents. Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 1: Steve Ravia and Jagen Saliz they have their eye on the ball on Tucson's sports stage. Chef Fox Sports forteen fifty streaming live. I mean iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: Wab Hey, welcome back to winning the Ball here Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Bavera, He's jacinbs Jauce. Now, I guess we're gonna go to about.
Speaker 4: A ten minute. Yeah, you're gonna have all the news that fit to print, because that's all we got right now. Yeah. Brent Branton with his uh, you know, game week presser, talked a little bit about New Mexico at the beginning because they played on Saturday. We'll talk a little bit more about that, but here we go with the full press conference.
Speaker 14: There are a lot of upsets or year upsets and week zero is that something that you can use as a talk to the point until two point for your team.
Speaker 5: That's definitely something we've talked about, you know.
Speaker 2: I think, you know, every game is a different game, and it's all about how you prepare and you know what your mindset is going into it, you know, And so I don't know why those things happen the way they did on Saturday, but credit to those teams that you know, either you know, press those teams to the edge or or you know, in the case of towards text on a way to get it done.
Speaker 5: Where yours from the next go?
Speaker 2: After watch, they look like they play hard obviously, I think, definitely creative defensively and and then offensively they've got some weapons, right, I think, you know, if I watch that game. As I watch that game, I think, you know, I feel like they're one catch away from it being over, you know what I mean. So I was really impressed on both sides of the ball, you know. I know, Bronco has been a really good coach for a really long time. So the team, they're gonna be ready to play, and they have the advantage of having played a game you know where we haven't, so it's a little bit different.
Speaker 5: You get two questions.
Speaker 2: I thought, one question, I'm just kidding. Go ahead, team that's gonna play, come on the triple question and sorry, I'm just messing with you.
Speaker 5: All right, what we got Bren?
Speaker 15: You personally seven months ago you were on this stage, you know, being introduced as there, I said.
Speaker 5: Coach, now you're a process guy. But being here in game, how's it feel being real? It's awesome. It's awesome. It's funny.
Speaker 2: I had that thought walking out here just now, you know, just like how much has changed in seven months. But I think it's a it's it's surreal, but it's also really really special and I'm excited, just like our players are now that.
Speaker 5: You the first game is by pass.
Speaker 4: Do you like the fact that you saw and has some film of in Mexico or is.
Speaker 2: It kind of the double edged No, I think it's a good thing, and I definitely I think I think you know that that's how you would look at it, right, Like they had the benefit of actually playing a really tough four quarter game, which I think there's benefits to that, and then we have the benefit of having some tape on them.
Speaker 5: So I'm sure they see it the same way I would assume they do.
Speaker 7: What is your message the team is to say, prepare for Mexico and one of your expectations to that.
Speaker 2: Uh, you know, my message to the team is it's all about us. It's about our process and how we prepare. It's very very simple. It's boring and it's not sexy, and but it's all about you know, just the detail of our process.
Speaker 5: And our preparation. You know.
Speaker 2: I think that part is I think that sometimes gets lost with the whatever exposure the media, friends, family, fans, all that stuff, you know, but it's it's always that it's about us in this football team and how we go about our business this week preparing for this game, and then you know, how we show up on Saturday, and my expectations are for us to play well.
Speaker 5: And that would be my massive expectations every week. Last week. Cool with being out of one of.
Speaker 7: The advantages that it's nice about the school, university theres are what are so many other things that have been in place here that you look back sat we have had they say, and we love that they had those.
Speaker 2: Stats for Vans well, I think I think, you know, everybody has contributed greatly to having this amazing facility here, you know, and you know it wasn't until our last season that we actually had that really nice football building. I think that has a chance to impact recruiting, and it impacts your teaching environment, you're learning environment, It impacts your recovery, your training room, your weight.
Speaker 5: Room, all those things. You know.
Speaker 2: So I think, you know, we're definitely fortunate to have what we have here, and I think the guys do a good job of respecting it.
Speaker 4: How much of your overall playbook do you think you're going to be able to use this first game or do you want to save.
Speaker 5: Stuff for later on?
Speaker 2: All I want to do is win, and so whatever we need to call to find a way to play good football and give ourselves a chance to win is what I want to do.
Speaker 4: Two questions to see.
Speaker 5: Now that's a thing. Now that's a thing.
Speaker 14: The first one is what if anything in your experience is uniquely different about the season.
Speaker 5: Over Everyone's different, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I've I've played in season openers where we were favored, where we were massive underdogs, where it was even I played against teams that people thought we shouldn't beat.
Speaker 5: I played against teams that people thought we should beat. They're all different.
Speaker 14: What SAT or stats do you value the most that you feel like it's the data's.
Speaker 5: Impact on winning goals.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think there's a lot of you know, especially now with all the information and.
Speaker 5: Data you get or you have access to.
Speaker 2: But I think the simplest ones would be turnover margin, third down, and red zone. It's just simple, you know, places to start for that.
Speaker 4: Had you ever been don't in a dunk tank before?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, plenty of times. I'm always up for that stuff. That was it was a cool That was a really nice thing. I thought it was great to get all the student athletes together, to get them all together with all of our coaches and support staff and administration. It was a really well run event. You know, the stats everyone they put it together, did a great job. And the dunk take was kind of fun. I mean I was up there for a while. You know, I think whoever somebody gasped uh, our boss Desiree on the first pitch, like it was you know, I got to watch people miss.
Speaker 5: For like twenty throws. She got knocked in there in the first one.
Speaker 4: So it was great.
Speaker 2: It was it was a cool environment, great to get all student athletes together. I think one of you know, kind of on your question, one of the really awesome things about University Arizona is that our athletes eat breakfast together. And so to your question, like we did. We weren't able to do that at my previous institution. And I think there's real value in that because they do care about each other and they do support each other. And so then that way, when you have an event like you had yesterday, it's actually like meaningful and a lot of players or a lot of the student athletes hadn't seen each other since summer, and so it was like it was a great kind of Hey, the semester starting, let's kick this thing off.
Speaker 5: It was really cool.
Speaker 4: Tradition or something about the game they see her they.
Speaker 15: Are looking forward to that that day.
Speaker 5: Oh that's a good question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I think I think college football is the best sport in the country. Like I think it's magical and there's all the things that go into it, from the tailgating to the wildcat walk, to the the band and the cheerleaders and the pop pom and the you know, in the Flag group, like like the students, the Zona Zoo, like all those things make it absolutely awesome. And I know there's lots of people that like watching games in the comfort of their home, but there's nothing like the smell of walking into a stadium on game day and what that feels like and feeling that energy and being a part of the experience. It's one of the most special things that happens across our country all saturdays during the fall.
Speaker 15: Perfect.
Speaker 4: But you've got to think here a little bit that the communication.
Speaker 5: How do you feel about that shy into the game?
Speaker 2: How do you.
Speaker 5: Decided what player?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it's still under consideration, I think, but I think it's gonna end up being Jacob Ono or you know, and if he's not in that, I think.
Speaker 5: It would be Gunner.
Speaker 2: But that's not a surprise because everyone's gonna because they're gonna have a green dot on the back of their helmet, right. So, but the communications been good. We were able to pract to sit a bunch. I think the tablets are going to be a useful tool for everybody. I'm just watching the games this weekend. You see how often everybody is utilizing it. On the sideline. You know, I think, you know, watching bits and piece of the SMU game. Every time I saw Rhett, he had a tablet in front of He was holding a tablet and scrolling through.
Speaker 5: You know, I think the big thing that everybody needs to.
Speaker 2: Remember is it, no matter what happens in the game, you cannot show the tablet to an official.
Speaker 5: That's a big one. That's a bad one.
Speaker 2: So I just want to make sure everybody on my staff knows that, like, under no circumstances are we doing that?
Speaker 7: And then I answer this last week and all and you decided what coaches will be in the box and what coaches will be.
Speaker 5: On the good Yes, have some of this fall.
Speaker 2: What kind of impact has branded the Sanders had on the program?
Speaker 5: Brandon Sanders is great.
Speaker 2: I was on a zoom with him last night with you know, all the football letter winners that he does, you know, you know, every every three months, every every month, and it's just trying to keep those guys informed and updated. He's also you know, just a great job with the kind of the high school relations and in that part of it. You know, him having been a coach here in the state of Arizona. I think there's value in that. Also the fact that he was such a great player here. I just love the fact that we have so many guys around the program that have played played here at the u of A. I think that's there's real value in that, in the in their experience and and their knowledge of the place, and having branded being kind of forward facing with our football alumni and then also with the high school coaches. I think it's been really valuable for us. He's at he's doing a great job. You know, obviously there's a lot of top tier running backs in this conference.
Speaker 5: Uh and you get asked the times before, but how do you feel about the defensive line going into the toe?
Speaker 1: Go on?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 2: I think that's gonna be one of the you know, nice surprises of this football team.
Speaker 5: I think there's a lot of talent there.
Speaker 2: We got a good mix of you know, some speed and some edge presence with some physicality interior, and so it's gonna be a lot of fun to see see what that looks like when we start playing.
Speaker 5: All right, thanks guys.
Speaker 3: Well, okay, so so you got nine and change, Like you said, you're the beat guy. One was a question about a dunk du the dunk tank, dunk tanks. So that took about a minute, and so you got eight minutes of stuff. What are you going to rune.
Speaker 4: Now? Much watch?
Speaker 3: Obviously the guys who asked the questions had their agenda and they knew what they're gonna write about. But holy crap, I need to write a story to preview the game. And I'm thinking it's gonna be a column because I can't get much from this if I'm.
Speaker 4: Scrapping for a story. I'm upset at the dunk tank question because you don't have time for that. Yeah, you know, we didn't get at the top. There are a couple of questions about New Mexico. You know, they had a game on Saturday. They got beat. Well we can talk about that in a minute, but you know, with the limited amount of time that you have, you need to ask questions that are that pertain to this is game, the team or the game, right, this is game week now, I get you. Somedeny asked about tax He said t X playing. Then he laugh and that's it. You didn't say any more about that. That's fine, So you know, you get okay, he's fine, but yeah, you know you know that he was asked about Brandon Sanders. Brandon Sanders does a great job of what does Brandon Sanders have to do with this week's game?
Speaker 16: Right?
Speaker 4: Right? No, you love Brandon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you know that was a that was a practice schedule three months ago or two months ago, right whatever, Right, Yeah, it's very difficult.
Speaker 4: You know. I'm glad I don't do this anymore.
Speaker 3: I'm glad I don't write like that anymore on the day, every day, every day, because it's it's it's almost fruitless.
Speaker 4: All right, let's take this call. Hi, are on there and eye on the ball.
Speaker 17: Hey, Team Money. I think you guys are.
Speaker 12: Uh, I think.
Speaker 4: You're breaking here. You're breaking up a little bit, so hold the hold the phone, well closer.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 16: Uh.
Speaker 17: We've kind of like a in a golden era, and I think in u of a sports media right now. You got the dudes doing the podcast samely, one guy doing a bunch of podcasts, but and then the three different radio shows, and then levs and uh spears on the newspaper and what was it you guys are referencing Michael.
Speaker 15: Left the article correct, right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 17: So yeah, the PR Department is dropping the ball. I haven't seen any I got like an email or two. But I mean as far as like old school media like billboards or radio commercials or anything like that, there's absolutely zero hype for this season. And yeah, I guess the football team could take care of that on the field, right, But that doesn't cover for the public relations department being non existent?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: So are you hyped on your own or where you getting the hype?
Speaker 1: I'm hyped on my own.
Speaker 17: I mean, I'm gonna die hard just like everybody else. But it doesn't that doesn't mean that you know the piard and can take the season off. I guess Lef pointed out that they have a bunch of vacancies, but come on, I mean, this is supposed to be a uh, you know, a top tier program there, right.
Speaker 4: Well, that's the thing, you know, We're going into what a lot of people feel like is going to be a special season and we're just not getting enough enough news out of there, right, And to be clear, you're mentioned the PR department, the PR department of the guys, they're just putting out what they're allowed to put out. When you're talking about why there's more not more stuff coming out? If you're talking about marketing, right, not enough, as you say, billboards and hype and things like that, and they're doing some stuff. And then also just the access, the access is being cut off and and and that's probably in the football office somewhere. So just you know, just to make sure that we have a clarification of that, because the guys who handle the media, the communications guys, they're just doing what they're allowed to do and that comes from higher up. So that's the unfortunate part of it.
Speaker 17: So are you saying that this is going to the AE like she's coming up short.
Speaker 4: No, No, I'm say I'm saying in the it's in the football office. Someone in the football office is saying, we're only gonna We're only gonna let Bret Brent Brennan talk to the media for ten minutes at a time. You get these players, you know, on such and such days. That's where it's the run out of It's not you know, if if if the football office said Brent Brent Brennan can talk to the media for half an hour, then the so called PR department we called the Media Relations Office and communications office would say, great, we've got him for thirty minutes. Somewhere in the football office. They're saying, this is all you get.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I don't know who pushes that ball on the other side as well. But when it came to what Riguez, when it came to Jeddie and a fish like, I mean, these dudes were all over the place before the season started, right and and not with Brent. I barely heard Brennan the voice right now. I didn't know what his voice sounded like Hill right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, no, it's kind of right and and and to be to be honest, it might not even be him. It might be you know, they've all got all these all the football programs, and I have a general manager and a chief of staff, you know, you know, and those those guys are they manage you know, the they manage the program off the field, and they're the ones who make the it's like you know, you know, it's like well like like a general manager and an NFL team, they're those guys who decide this stuff in general so, you know, and Brandon just kind of goes along with it. It's what I would think, because he's busy coaching. Whatever you guys want, that's what we'll do. And that's what they do. And that's we are where we are all right, Hey, hey, team, and we got to go. We appreciate the call man, thank you.
Speaker 3: No good call, So we gotta go to break. We'll take more calls on the other side. Right, talk more about this obviously.
Speaker 4: Okay, we'll be right back.
Speaker 3: If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Loudolsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot, it was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the men who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Newton is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 15: Hi, this is formal. While get Leman huntly with Arizona Health, imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space.
Speaker 4: And your life.
Speaker 15: We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our share room today at twenty second in Wilmot, Arizona Health the lead edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 9: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid available, it's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PIMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu. Slash Someday, extreamly Live, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, iHeartRadio WAFT. This is Eye on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jacob Salez Pot Fox Sports fourteen fifteen.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to my I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty on Steve Rivera, He's Jacob as Delburg Guy Henry for the next sixteen minutes of this hour. If you guys like to call five two zero, four one, six seventy four forty we may have gotten a caller to right before break, So if you want to call us calls back, that'd be great. So I'll be reading his column. We'll talk more about his column mony Mike Left. Yeah, yeah, it's very good, obviously, very good and very fair. I think, very very fair.
Speaker 4: Look, the media has been a friend to the U of A program since Jed guy here, right, Yeah, And so there's I don't know what they're afraid of in terms of letting people have information. So well we'll see and you know, look, and if fans aren't screaming for it, then okay, then they're then they're doing what they're doing.
Speaker 3: I don't think fans know any better not to scream for we're in Tucson. It's a fan fully, it's a it's a it's not a you know, we're gonna gotta go place they're gonna and you want them to go.
Speaker 4: Right, Well, there's not brain surgery, right, And here's the thing. You know, the media guys, you know, justin spears Lev you're Brian Peterson, Troy Hudson, all those guys. They're doing a real good job churning out as much as they possibly can with the little that they get through the condition. And so maybe people don't realize how little information they're getting. But if you go read, if you know, kV Away, all the TV stations, and if they're all writing and saying the same thing, all the coverage, so wherever you go, you're just getting the same thing, because that's all there is. You know, whereas you know you back in the day, right, we always say that you know you, you would do a story on this guy. I would do a story on that guy. And then during the week we all had different angles, you know, I would when we were at press conferences, right, you'd hear questions that the other reporter was asking, so you kind of knew what their next story was going to be about, and you were gonna and you were trying to come up with something different. Sure, everybody's got the same stuff now and that's all you get.
Speaker 3: No, no, And let me remind you, Jay, So this press conference, it's already been aired. Everybody has seen it, seen it, heard it, blah blah blah. And now they're gonna tell stories about it, right, so it's old news by today. It's right now, right right at the end of the day, it's no old news. It's old news right now. You'll but you'll see this news today tomorrow and they'll say, oh, it's breaking new.
Speaker 4: No, it's not now. I will say these next two days Tuesday and Wednesday, they bring in an offensive coach and some players, and the defensive coach and some players. So the guys get more stuck right then, but it's still very limited. And then you get Brandon on Thursday for another ten maybe fifteen minutes, and then that's it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's all you get. That's that's how how it was. I. You know, when I was doing it with with Bruce, we'd always try to get and you save as much as you can for a later time another way, because you had to.
Speaker 4: Remember those Tuesday press conference would last a couple of hours. Yeah they you know, you get you'd get a half an hour forty five minutes with well, you'd eat, was the first told me. Would you want to stay? Yeah? Stay, You'd get half an hour forty five minutes with the coach, and everybody would get their questions in and then players would come in and you get players, and then you could get players after practice. Yeah, it's crazy. I don't know. All right, we beat we beat the hell out of that horse, dead horse. But you know, if you've got comments or or questions about it or want to want to talk about it, would love to hear that, right five to zero, four one, six, seventy four forty.
Speaker 3: No, it's it's it's a good point, and it's it's a valid point, I should.
Speaker 4: Say, especially with the excitement that this season.
Speaker 3: Sure is going for it and this is you got two things. If this if Jed left us in a in a in a heap of mess, you'd say they got to open it because people need to know because or want to know, because how are you going to sell this program?
Speaker 4: That right?
Speaker 3: But here they are maybe they think we don't need to sell this program.
Speaker 4: We're gonna be good. According to Michael Let's column, you know, their ticket sales are going very well, and maybe maybe they're saying, Okay, that's all we got to do.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: I just feel like the more you do, the better you do.
Speaker 3: Sure, no question. And then we're also living in an era where you of a produces their own news or their own media right right, their own they do. They do videos and unlike maybe people who call or think of this show, we need to be positive. Well, those places are positive. When you're in house, you're going to be positive.
Speaker 4: Right. We're just gonna talk about what there is to talk about, whether it's good or bad.
Speaker 3: Good or bad, right right? And this is this is neither good nor that. It's just our observation about what they're doing.
Speaker 4: This call Hight on the air and I on the ball.
Speaker 18: Hi, how are you guys?
Speaker 4: We're good? How are you? Who's this?
Speaker 7: We're good.
Speaker 18: Here's something to add to your rant.
Speaker 16: I just heard.
Speaker 18: Today that they're canceling Beare down Friday.
Speaker 5: Whoa, whoa.
Speaker 4: I hadn't heard that this. Who's this?
Speaker 14: Kathy Hi?
Speaker 4: Kathy Hi, Kathy Hi.
Speaker 18: Guys work with alumni band in the u of a band And this came from Chad Shoop and the director of band.
Speaker 3: That's amazing. That was like the pep relly of the team of the program.
Speaker 18: Yeah, and it really drew in those people that would bring their kids, little kids right that probably would never make it to the seven point thirty start or you know an eleven o'clock. You're out of the sands type thing, and it creates a lot of positive dive for the you you know, with the palms and the mascots and the pride and everything else.
Speaker 3: What do you think the reason is? Did that cost money?
Speaker 9: Well?
Speaker 18: I don't know. I you know that you'd have to add Chad Shootman, which might be a good person to get on. Yeah, except to usually have practice Monday Wednesday Friday, so maybe Tuesday Thursday, but because it's from like three to like five thirty.
Speaker 17: But I don't know.
Speaker 18: Maybe Merchant Square felt it wasn't gigging enough bang for the buck.
Speaker 3: Well, that's been there for a long time. I mean they would have said that a while back. This hap this is a big disen news.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 18: Yeah, it's sort of sad. I mean I remember going down there with my kids when they were little, and you know, you couldn't even hardly find a place to park. And parking has always been a problem. But they had it one time. If you bought something or had dinner or something, you've got a stamp and you could use it in the parking garage.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmm. So you're not tied to the U of a right, you just have friends or connection to the band.
Speaker 18: Why wasn't the Pride? No no, no, late seventies, early eighties no no.
Speaker 4: But for this news, you know, you know somebody in the band that and you've you found out that they're not doing it.
Speaker 18: I heard it on I saw it on Facebook.
Speaker 3: Okay, so do you have you talked to anybody besides us? I wonder what the general thoughts are because this is kind of a big deal.
Speaker 4: I mean, come on, a lot of a lot.
Speaker 3: Of people go into this. I mean it was kind of like a little party. You know, even Tommy Lois would.
Speaker 18: Not find a place that General Benn or Anchovy place through the one the Mexican Food place. You couldn't even find a.
Speaker 1: Site table when that was going on.
Speaker 3: Well that they must, well the business was booming. Well we'll see, we'll see. We'll get the word. We'll get the word and see what we hear.
Speaker 4: Okay, I just looked it up on Facebook. It looks like there's no Baredown Fridays for these first two games, because it says this is on the main Gate Square Facebook page that bare Doown Fridays will start on October the fourth, which would be the the Texas Tech Game, So maybe it's just these two games. It says bear Down Friday's returned this October, so there you go. So it's kind of a little both. Right, they're not having for the first two games, but they're having it for starting with the games in October.
Speaker 3: So keep your celebrations down until don't tug loud.
Speaker 4: Exactly exactly okay, but but I'm glad you called it our attention to this because at least we know that right that still Compody might have gone down there this Friday and said, where is everybody?
Speaker 3: Well we still collected what would this was the decision behind this? Yeah, I don't know, it makes no sense, makes thank you.
Speaker 4: Hey, thank you appreciate it, no problem.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening. Great, great to have a female.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So yeah, it says they return on in October, and this is supposed three hours ago, so this is pretty new. Yeah, but not you know, but again, no decisions are strange because it's too hot. Well don't know, you know where you live, where do you live? Is it gonna change?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 3: Christmas is this year like every other year, and it's kind of cold then too.
Speaker 4: Sometimes not.
Speaker 3: Steve, I don't know what well, I think I think we're marking up a strange tree, but it's the right tree because they need people. Apparently they're happy with the people they have. We know that there's I don't want to talk to Love because he's there are changes in the program at the u of A, and they're trying to figure out things. Uh, Desert is trying to kind of get stuff done. Yeah, so they do need help, so we'll see, we'll see.
Speaker 4: All right. Anyways, Okay, so your your lobos.
Speaker 3: No, my lobos, my lobos, enemy, my lobo.
Speaker 4: They kind of poop the bed the bed on Saturday.
Speaker 3: Dude, No, and they got a little the treatment that you you the.
Speaker 4: Ko d So I'm not I'm not taking credit for that.
Speaker 3: I'll your six degrees of separation on this baby, so I get a texture of you.
Speaker 4: And I think I forgot. I forgot.
Speaker 3: They were plane during the day, so they played They're playing in in Albuquerque, and I turned it on once you said.
Speaker 4: Oh you're so what did you say?
Speaker 3: I said, I said, Arizona's gonna have a hard time with when you I.
Speaker 4: Said, I said, the cats are in big trouble.
Speaker 3: And I said, oh my god, come on, come on. So then I saw the score and they were up by ten, twelve whatever it was, and then they even got a bigger lead later thirty one to sixteen, thirty one to fourteen, and that's when I kind of caught it. For the end of the third quarter.
Speaker 4: It was at one fifty three pm. It was like, which would have been halftime ish, I think it was at halftime, and they said, look at the Lobos exclamation point. The Cats are in trouble next week.
Speaker 3: And I go to us say, oh my god. Really, So just about thirty minutes later, the KOD started to take effect because they did. They had a thirty one to fourteen went into the fourth quarter. I'm watching I'm having lunch with a friend at tried it and I'm thinking, oh, they got this. Wow, this is a big win for them. And I got home and they pooped the bed and I'm thinking, how could they have lost that game?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I was golfing, okay, and so when I texted you that was home. Oh it was Oh I missed. I missed the Georgia Tech Florida Day game, which is another one who got talked to me because I was golfing. But yeah, we got to were I was in San die In, LA on a family trip. We were in the airbnb and we put the game on. I'm like, okay, this is great. This is college football. And I'm like, whoa, okay, let's take this real quick, higher on the art and eye on the ball.
Speaker 16: Hey Jay, hey Steve, this is done.
Speaker 4: How you guys done done? What's up? What is up? Done?
Speaker 16: Hey? I got two things. You know, who was wasting the time in the press conference with questions about dunk tanks and Hanny Aids and all that stuff, and Brandon Sanders the media.
Speaker 4: Right, That's what we said, So you know you.
Speaker 16: You said it. You know you got ten minutes and your Comepatriots are over there screwing around and wasting time.
Speaker 4: We have no doubt about that. That's what we said.
Speaker 16: And I'm gonna tell you what though, I've been looking for my own hype all this time. I'm rewatching the games that I still have on my DVR. I looked, I try to look up some santols A Steak games because what I don't want but I do not want to see and what a lot of people that did not like Dick tomy back in the day was he gets a touchdown lead in the middle of the second quarter and he starts running out the clock. Yep, yep, remember, because that was a big complaint in the nineties. Was you know, Jesus, you know, Jesuise.
Speaker 4: It's funny you to bring that up, because I should say, I watch it. I had it on and the TV my office where I was working, I had the cal the cal Arizona Hill Mary game on today. I played that because I needed something, right yep.
Speaker 16: So waits what we've been doing? Yeah, I mean, or that's what I've been doing. Is I've been going to YouTube and looking up videos. I watched the Alamo bowle from start to finish time or two.
Speaker 4: I love you, man, I love you because I do that too. What the are you retired? What the hell you do for?
Speaker 16: Oh no, it's just I mean there's too much stuff on TV. I mean, there's there's so much stuff on TV that there's nothing to watch. So so I'll watch, you know, you know, I'm looking forward to the season and everything.
Speaker 17: And uh.
Speaker 16: The other thing is is the A D is putting a huge, huge emphasis on being in the Big twelve. If you've seen her. If you saw her press conference last week. She started out and she was like like just chit chatting in the beginning, and then she's all like, gany, did you try the Lota bytes? You know, and I'm going here she goes again because there was like the introductory press conference or it was her second press conference. She started talking and all she was talking about was the restaurants at Tucson. And then last week it was Man, when these people from Texas and Kansas come to Tucson, they're going to go crazy with all the places they can go eat and everything else. And maybe that's why bear Down Friday's gone away because nobody's going to be here from out of town.
Speaker 3: We'll see, well, you know, the last week's press conferences were press conference was for the it was for the stadium food that was specifically for that.
Speaker 16: Well, when I watched the whole thing, I go, well, okay, that's why she started. But it was a second press conference.
Speaker 4: I saw her only dart that way.
Speaker 3: Only because only because other she got other questions about football and other situations from the from the press that was there. Because we don't get access to a lot of these people. I mean, it's very rare, and when you get them very rarely, you ask the questions that you have other stories to do.
Speaker 16: Yeah, no, no, I get that. I get that part, and I think that I think the football program is being a little bit guarded because I mean, the coaches coach is Dave Hekey's guy. Four years later, Yeah, right, Brennan. Brennan has gotten it. He's gotten his hands on the program, which is in a much better place than when he would have got it four years ago. Right, So I'm sure there's a lot of guarded this trying to because he has made statements about taking what the players liked from the old playbook and combining it with their playbook and making it, you know, bringing them together so that you know, the players are comfortable, the coaches are comfortable, and everything else. So you know, hopefully this whole lockdown thing is just a part of getting this thing kicked off, and they don't want the distractions the coaching staff anyway.
Speaker 3: I never thought of you as a conspiracy theorist, but now I do.
Speaker 4: Done Why, Well.
Speaker 16: I mean we haven't been. I mean I've just been sitting around thinking about it because well, months ago, I was thinking God, I hope he doesn't toll me this thing up.
Speaker 4: Well, you're too late with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's that was done a long time ago.
Speaker 4: Hey, we gotta go now, we gotta go top of the hour thinking about it.
Speaker 3: Since then, stop thinking about it. Thanks stuff, got don don don. We'll take a break here and and get with breaking news.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got breaking the top of the hour.