Speaker 1: All right, let's get a draft time. Monday afternoon, eight minutes past the hour of two o'clock. It's a nice day outside. It's a lovely April day outside. It's about sixty eight degrees. We've got some scattered clouds here in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah. It looks like we're to have a excuse me, a nice weather week, A spring type, spring type weather week, according to the forecast, a nice stretch of warm weather this week. And as it is every single day, it's good to have you along for the ride. Spence Jackets beyond the mic. That's Porter Larsen beyond the Glass today, jam Pack Monday Show. Happy Monday too. Hope you had a great weekend, a lot of great sports action to get to We will crown a college basketball championship tonight in San Antonio, Houston and Florida. After Saturday night's drama, a epic collapse by the Duke Blue Devils allowing Kelvin Sampson to advance the national championship game. Houston is going to try to win the first national championship in the history of that storied basketball program that includes the like Akeem Olajuan and five slam Agema, So Houston's trying to get it done out of the Big twelve. Florida representing the best team in college here, excuse me, the best conference in college basketball the SEC after they were able to take care of the number one overall seed Auburn on Saturday night. So six point fifty is your tip time at the Alamo Dome in San Antonio. CBS will have the coverage for you. Florida has not won a national championship since two thousand and seven, the second title day won in a back to back stretch under Billy Donovan with Jokim Noah and now Horford and Corey Brewer, one of the best college basketball teams really in the two thousands. If Florida wins tonight, it will be their third national championship since the year two thousand, which would tie them for second only behind the Yukon Huskies. So college basketball will crowd a champ tonight. We'll talk about Saturday's action where if you are a Duke fan, that one hurts. If you are a Cooper flag, if you're the Kinnipple, if you're John Shier, that loss on Saturday Night's gonna untch you for a long time. Of course, the immediate reaction is does this change the plans of Cooper Flag. I can't imagine that it does, but that conversation is taking place. And can you imagine a few Tad Jazz who are one in nineteen in their last twenty basketball games and have three wins since the All Star Break luck into the number one overall pick this year and Cooper Flagg goes back to school. I can't even believe I'm saying that out loud to into a microphone, But it was such a collapse and it was not Cooper's flag, Cooper Flag's fault. It was not Cooper's fault, but a lot of conversation about what this means for him and what it means for Duke moving forward. I thought KNK Nipple was really good. I thought Duke was the better team to start off the game, but Houston was able to outscore Duke nine to zero in the final thirty five seconds of the game and they march onto the national championship. Speaking of college basketball, the latest on the US top men's basketball situation. Ezrassar is now in the transfer portal that broke over the weekend. While we were off there, Alex Jensen opt on Sewan Show today. We're gonna have AJ out at some point, So if you miss that, you want to hear from the new head coach of the Utes. ESPN seven hundred Sports dot Com is where you go, So check that out there. Good conversation that AJ had with Sean earlier in the in the day part earlier today on the radio station during Shawn Show, speaking of Utah Jazz. They got smoked by the Hawks. They just lose to everybody, because of course that's the deal. It is really tough to watch if you are continuing to watch. If you're not a basketball sicco like I am, like a lot of people in this business are, and you're still watching, credit to you or find a new hobby. One seven to one thirty four, Quinn Snyder's Atlanta Hawks hung one forty seven on Will Hardy's Utah Jazz. The Jazz have given up one hundred and forty or more points in three straight games. That's only happened three times in Jazz history and has not happened in a number of years. This is the worst team we've ever had here, There's no doubt about it. Try to focus on the positives exercise and futility. I guess Kant had a career high high five as they'll call you, with his eleventh double double. There's nothing to like about the team. There just isn't. I don't know what else to say. So they're doing this intentionally. You see what they can do in the draft. So we'll get to the latest in the NBA as we are high speeded to the stretch run of course happening now and the playoffs right around the corner light night of NBA basketball. They usually just make way for the National Championship game Sacramento and Detroit, Philadelphia and Miami. So a couple of a couple of NBA games tonight, but of course all eyes on the college basketball National Championship seventeen days away from the NFL drafts. I don't know if it's a smoke screen, but cam Ward is now moving towards your consensus number one pick latest with shid Or Sanders, Austin genty where he gonna go, and a lot of rumors surrounding the draft, which is less than three weeks away. So always a good time to talk a little NFL draft and a little offseason NFL Football spring football for both Utah and by U rolls on a spring football scrimmage for the Utes that was opened to some media members on Saturday. And you know, Devin Dan Pierre looks awesome, Date Johnson's fast. You know, spring football. What are you gonna do? But it's a nice, nice excuse to talk about spring football and where Utah football finds themselves prior to year two in the Big Twelve. RSL gets a win. Look at that, Maybe they don't need a striker, Maybe Diego can score all the goals two niligans La Galaxy. Over the weekend in America First Field, the Galaxy are, you're defending MLS champs, but they have not won game all year long, and RSL sends them home with a two zero loss in both of those goals scored by Diego Luna, who over the weekend was honored as the Utah Male Athlete of the Year at the STATA Sport Awards. So congratulates to Diego and RSL with a much needed three points. We are about two and a half weeks away from the summer. Excuse me, the primary transfer window closing in the spring window. It'll open up again in the summer, and still no word on RSL bringing in some reinforcements for Pablo and his staff. There will be an announcement, I'm told, in the coming weeks, and maybe even less than that, about this ownership transition becoming official. We'll get to some of those storylines as the Miller family is about to take over the business interest side of RSL. Ryan Smith will be out entirely, which is probably a good thing, and then Dave Blitzer will maintain a portion of ownership, and of course being part of that Blitzer umbrella is a good thing. So all the latest on the RSL side of things. Utah Hockey Club is getting set to finish off their year and what a year it's been. It will not culminate in a playoff appearance, but it's been fun to have hockey here in the market. Seattle's going to be in town coming up tomorrow for a seven o'clock drop of the puck. Alex Ovechkin is all time leading goal scorer in pro hockey history. And yeah, we haven't even talked about the biggest week potentially in the world of professional golf all year long. It's augusta week. It's Master's week rain knocked the players off the course today. The par three is set for tomorrow and round one excuse me, Par three is set for Wednesday, and Round one of the eighty ninth playing of the Masters Championship at Augusta Golf Club and Augusta, Georgia will be Thursday. Scottie Scheffler, Roy Macelroy, your two favorites. We'll get to Augusta storylines throughout the course of the show. So, like I said, a little bit of everything, there you go. The table is set for some college basketball, for some NBA basketball, for some NFL draft, or some Utah Hockey club, for some RSL soccer, and some Masters golf. How about that? Did I leave anything off?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yes? The Yukon women won another national championship. Geno rim is twelve and one in National Championship Games wild see the Yukon women win their first title in nine years, a nine year title drought. That shows you the standard the Yukon hoops has when nine years between national championships is called the drought baseball two, how about that? All right, let's get into the show. Josh Furlong, We'll be our first guest. Right out of the Gates. Josh covers the youths for our friends over at Kiss so I we'll do some Utah spring football, some Utah basketball. The Red Rocks are going to the Nationals for the forty ninth straight year, which is pretty remarkable, So Josh will stop by for all things Utah Athletics, NBA Daily Systyle with Tom Haberstrow, who caught some strays on the show last week after comparing Cooper Flag to Kevin Garnett. His buddy Zach Harper hopped on the show and it took Tom to task a little bit. So let's create a beef between Tom and Zach today. At least that's the goal. Belle Frasier, one of our favorites from the trip. She covers the Utah Hockey Club. We'll do a little NHL with Bell and then Tony Parks, the voice of the Bees, longtime radio host in this market. We'll be live in studio as we are now in the midst of baseball season. The Bees have made a move, and we'll do just a bunch of different local storylines with my I got a TP coming up on a Monday, So Josh for long. Tom Haberstrow, Bell Frasier, Tony Parks, Me, Spence check Ats, all of you, the great listeners, and that guy Porter Larsen producing booking the show on a Monday. You know, you and I never played for a paycheck. You and I never played for anything that anybody cared about. But you didn't. You don't have to be an ex pro to remember a loss or a shot you missed or a catch you dropped when you were playing competitively that you still think about to this day. And look, Cooper Flag is going to go on to be a great pro. I'm all in on him. There are very few holes in his game. That's the type of loss that if you're Konko Nipple, if you're Cooper Flag, if you're John Shy, or if you're the Duke Blue Devils, that one doesn't escape you. Man. That was a epic folding of the tents.
Speaker 3: Now, that's that's one that when you drop that kind of lead over that that amount of time. You know, my favorite thing in sports to watch, I'll be entirely honest with you, Tracy, with the thirteen points in whatever however many seconds, you just don't really see it very often. I'm a Knicks fan, so you go back to Reggie Miller, right, who had the inbailed steal three.
Speaker 1: You're gonna do that to me on a Monday. I'm sorry. I'm sorry, dude, I was there. Thanks a lot. Anthony Mason may rest in peace.
Speaker 3: Friend of the program, Eric Mika texted me during that game because when I was a freshman, he was a freshman. I was sitting on the very end of the bench. But my my hometown team won a state title over his high school team, scoring eight points in thirty five seconds, the final thirty five seconds of the game, and that to me is like the only relation. Luckily, we were on the good side of that. We were on the the elation of the night that time. But man, it's got a it's got a sting, especially when you make a few mistakes right when a player comes down in like the McGrady situation, just makes crazy shot after crazy shot. That's one thing. When you have a technical, when you have an over the back foul, when you have a kind of self imposed errors, Man, it's got a sting. And yeah, Duke Duke is out of it. It's a It was a crazy one to watch.
Speaker 1: I do get the feeling that the Duke college basketball program is the Cowboys, the Lakers, the Yankees. I think a lot of people very much enjoyed that collapse. Yeah, you know, if it wasn't Duke, I think yeah. So Anyway, a lot of conversation about what this can mean for Cooper Flag. But let's get into it as college basketball will crown it's national chant tonight. Josh Forlong is our first guest right out of the gates. But before we get to Josh, courtesy of our good friends at Prize Picks, it is time now on a Monday, for your opening tip.
Speaker 4: Welcome to the Drive with Spence. Check its on Utah's number one sports talk. Now into the studios of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show. The opening tip of the Drive is brought to you by Prize Picks. Use the code ESPN seven hundred and run your game with Prize Picks.
Speaker 1: Springtime is here. You can feel the weather warming up outside. Baseball season is underway. Don't miss your chance to add your favorite players from the diamond. Your prize picks lineup. Whether it's strikeouts, RBI's first inning runs, you can take your pick of more or less for your shot to win up to one thousand times your cash Today. On Prize Picks, you can mix and match player projections from different sports. Combine your favorite baseball players with players from basketball, hockey, E sports, and much more. Download the Prize Picks up today. Use the promo code ESPN seven hundred at checkout. When you play that first five dollars bet, they're just gonna hook you up with fifty bucks. You don't even have to win that five dollars bet, so download the Prize Picks app today. Use the promo code ESPN seven hundred pund checkout, You're gonna get fifty dollars courtesy of our good friends at Prize Picks. Run your game all season long. All right, so we've got Houston, We've got Florida tonight. For all the marbles, Vegas believe this is going to be a very very close game. The game opened up as Florida as a minor fi MIAs won and it has now moved to Florida minus one point five. According to bet MGM. The over under is one forty one point five, So Florida a just a scoach of a favorite Tonight should be a really, really good game. This is only the fifth time in college basketball tournament history that the two teams playing for national championship are both number one seeds and both won their conference tournaments. The other four times this took place, the game was decided by single digits. All of those four games were very, very close. I'm not expecting any type of a blowout. Florida is looking to win their first national championship since the second national championship Billy Donovan won back in two thousand and seven with really one of the most underrated college basketball teams in the history of the sport, with Al Horford and Jochem Noah and Corey Brewer. Really good teams under Billy Donovan. Of course, he is now with the Chicago Bulls. He's parlayed his college success into a lot of money in the pros. So Florida if they win tonight, it'll be their third national championship since the year two thousand. That's tied for the second most behind the Yukon Huskies. And they're led by this Walter Clayton junior kid who is stone cold, I mean talk about ice water in his veins, does nothing but hit big shots. He is by far their best player. They've got a lot of good bigs, and both these two teams tonight really really rebound well, specifically on the offensive end. So that's something to watch out for. Is Florida was able to beat the number one overall seed, Auburn Tigers, who went away from Johnny Broom in the second half. Johnny had fifteen points total, but he had twelve points with eighteen minutes left in the game. He only had three points in the final eighteen minutes, and they just started chucking up threes and they started panicking a little bit, and Florida just kind of held steady and they rode Walter Clayton Junior and his ability to just make big shot after big shot after big shot, off to catch off the bounce going right, going left, a lot of high pick and r ball screen action to get him loose, a lot of dribble handoffs, because they have a lot of bigs that are really, really skilled. So Todd Golden's thirty nine years old. You guys might remember him from the West Coast Conference days to coach San Francisco. If Todd wins tonight, if Florida wins tonight, Todd will be the second youngest head coach in college basketball history to win a national championship at the age of thirty nine, the only coach that younger would you know if he wins, Actually, the only coach that is younger on record to win a national championship was Jim Valvano, who's thirty seven years old with Big T thorough Daily and the NC State wolf Pack back in the day. On the other side, Calvin Sampson at the age of sixty nine, if he wins tonight, If Houston wins tonight, he will be the oldest coach in the history of the sport to win his first national championship. So, of course we are now a big twelve foot print once upon a time of pack twelve foot print. And so I've watched Houston play all year, and there are times, and of course oftentimes, if you're a radio host in Salt Lake City, you're gonna approach this through the paradigm of what it looked like when the local teams played against this team. And watching Houston play both Utah and BYU this year, I just I felt bad for the Utes and the Cougars when they played the Houston Cougars. It didn't look like a fair fight. When Utah went to Auburn, excuse me, when Utah went to Houston, they lost seventy to thirty six, and it honestly wasn't that close. That game was over within five minutes. I can remember watching the game and the announcer referencing the stat where at one point, I think the Utes had eight turnovers and three baskets. Houston is big, their physical, it's a veteran group. We'll get to this in a minute. I think this is one of the reasons why they're able to beat that young duke team. A bunch of big, strong adults, a bunch of ground ups in the room, and veteran players that have played a lot of college basketball. But in the two games they played against BYU, it wasn't any better. I mean they smoked BYU eighty six fifty five, and then in the Big twelve tournament it was seventy four to fifty four. And BYU was good this year. I mean, that's the scary part. Houston and BYU it looked like JV versus varsity and BYU was a Sweet sixteen team. That's how physical, that's how imposing, intense, and quite frankly prescient, Houston seems to be on defense, which is why watching them hang in there and then ultimately capitalize on the mistakes of this youthful Duke Blue Devil team really wasn't much of a surprise if you've been watching Houston all year. What was a surprise is the absolute epic meltdown by the Duke Blue Devils on Saturday night. And there's no other way to put that outscore nine to zero over the final thirty five seconds of the game. The Scion James kid, who's a good player for John Shier, Like, at what point are you going to try to let somebody else inbound the basketball? Like let con Kinipple try it. CON's a physical, strong kid who doesn't seem to be afraid of the moment. And poor Scion on those two turnovers down the stretch that ultimately cost him the game, he just looked rattled. Now, one thing, and we'll catch a break here in a moment. But one thing I want to push back on is this conversation that's become too tiered since Saturday night. And number one, is this an indictment on Cooper flag? No, it's not at all. Cooper had their only bucket of the final I think nine and a half minutes that corner three, The over the back foul that they called on Cooper Flag was an atrocious call. And yes, was he part of the group that melted down. Of course, And as I said earlier when I was talking with Porter, I don't care what if you ever played sports, It doesn't matter. Like even if you never played anything that really matter. Chances are you remember a game that maybe you missed a shot, you made a turnover, you lost when you shouldn't have. This loss for Duke is not going away anytime soon, and honestly probably ever. Like if you're sigh On James, you're gonna remember those turnof If you're Cooper Flag, do you want this to be your last game in college? And of course the conversation has turned into does this motivate Cooper Flagg to come back to Duke? Now, the side of the argument that makes sense is that Cooper is a young eighteen year old Okay, So that's one of the things that came into play here. LJ. Crier, Juan Roberts. These guys are in their mid twenties. These are twenty three year old players that have been playing for a long long time. They are five, sometimes almost six years older than Cooper who reclassified and should be a senior in high school. Cooper Flagg should be getting ready for prompt or did prom already happen? I don't know. Cooper Flagg should be getting away, you know, getting ready for graduation from high school. Reclassifies, goes to Duke as a freshman, and the reason I bring up his age, okay. Juxtaposed this to the Richie Saunders conversation, does Richie Saunders come back to play for BYU? Right? So, over the next few weeks, Richie is going to go through the pre draft process where he and reps his family as agent or whoever. We'll talk to NBA teams and they'll ask, Okay, what's your what are your thoughts on our guy? Do you think he could be drafted? Are you interested in drafting him? I don't think he's a first rounder? Okay, but is he a second rounder? And he's is he the type of second round pick that you like enough that if he falls to you, you're gonna give him a three or a four year deal. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen with second rounders, and if Richie gets the feedback that he can start his NBA career now, I very much believe he has no choice but to go do that because he's twenty three and he's coming up on twenty four. So the reports are BYU wants Richie back and they're willing to pay him seven figures and that's great, Okay. So if Richie goes through the draft process and he doesn't get positive feedback, go make a couple million bucks and play basketball for Kevin Young and go try to win a Big twelve. No issue with that. But if he has a chance to start his NBA clock, he's got to go do it now because of the age of twenty three. Because what you want to do is an NBA player is proved throughout your rookie contract that you have earned it to be able to be paid even more as a second contract guy, third contract guy. That's when the generational wealth starts filling in. Okay, So two different timeframes. Richie Saunders, twenty three, if you have feedback that says you can play NBA basketball, I think you got to go do that. Cooper flag Young, eighteen year old, if he wants to wait another year because talk about nil. I don't know what Duke's nil situation is. But if Richie Saunders is a two two and a half three million dollars a year guy, what is Cooper? And if you're Duke, are you willing to put together a package that's like ten mil next year to bring him back for one more season because he's good enough? And you know the other thing to keep in mind here is the Malu watch kid and then Conk Nipple. All three of those players are thought to be lottery picks. Do those three get together and decide, Okay, Duke, this is what's going to cost you to have all three of us for one more year. And we're willing to come back for one more year because we're all teenagers, as opposed to getting the clock rolling on my NBA contract to get the second year, you know, the second contract coming my way as a max player for Cooper flag well year one as a rookie. Even if you're there not number one pick, Duke could probably pay Cooper more money for one year to bring him back than he could get his first year as a pro. Now, I find all of this much ado about nothing because I just believe that if you're a generational player like Cooper is and you've stayed healthy, I think you've got to go get it started. That's my opinion. And maybe I'm being selfish here because the last thing I would want in the second week of May is to be sitting there when it's lottery night and Lady Luck finally shines on the Jazz and they grab number one overall and then Cooper announces that he's going back to do Can you imagine that? Would that be the most Utah jazz thing of all time? So yeah, just throwing that out there. But Houston and Florida tonight for all the marbles. Just before seven o'clock on CBS, as March Madness will conclude, Collish basketball will crown it's national champ tonight on the men's side after the Yukon women got it done over the weekends. Gino rim It's twelve and won in national championship games. That is a mind blowing stat. Houston Florida tonight, six fifty Mountain Time on CBS Florida as of now, is a one point five point favorite represented the SEC. Of course, Houston out of the Big twelve and Josh Furlong will join us right out of the gates. And Josh, if you've been watching Big twelve basketball all year long, you're probably not too surprised to see the Houston Cougar's playing for the national championship. Is that fair?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, I think this is a team that they play together, they've been consistent, they've been together for a long time, and so you know, they're a tough team to beat. I mean, when I put in my bracket, they're the team that I actually put to win it all. So it wasn't a surprise to me by any means. You know, Florida's obviously a good team. They've got some length, So I'm really fascinated to kind of see how this works, especially with offense and in kind of the defensive prowess that that Houston brings. So it should be a really fun matchup. I mean, the fact that they can even beat Duke was was pretty remarkable. But love it so, Uh, you can't ask for anything more in a in a championship game.
Speaker 1: Since you brought it up, one more thing here, then we'll get onto the Utah content portion of the interview. Look, man, I you know, I don't care what level you ever played, uh, if you ever played you know, competitive sports, uh, of any condo, on any level. Their chances are there's a missed shot that you think about while you're trying to go to bed. There's a game that your team lost that you think about, that you that you wonder, uh you know, I should have, would have, could have, what have you. I don't care what Cooper Flag goes on to do the rest of the way. And I think he's got I'm all in on him. I think he's awesome. Conka Nipple, the Malawatch kid, Like, that's a team full of stars. I don't know, Josh, that you ever quite forget a loss that Duke, A loss the likes of which Duke suffered to the hands of Houston. That was one of the most epic collapses I think I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely. I mean I remember looking at the clock thinking like, there's no way Houston really getting into this, and just little by little it just felt like Duke was kind of, you know, the whole definition of that f around and find out the situation right, Like, I don't know if you can put that on the radio, but I think this was just, you know, a situation where Duke just kind of felt comfortable and obviously they relied a ton on Cooper Flag, but he was the only one that was able to generate anything, and so when he didn't, you know, they really had nowhere to turn. And suddenly you've got a Houston team that got momentum and it all changed.
Speaker 5: But like I think if.
Speaker 2: You were to tell me that that was going to happen, especially with like a minute left of the game, I still don't know that I believe you, especially the way that it did. So definitely one for the ages. But yeah, you have to feel for Duke. I mean, that's going to be one that sticks with you for a very long time and I don't know that you can shake it, especially with how that went down.
Speaker 1: And I don't know what this means for where Cooper Flags had is that of the conversation over the past forty eight hours or so have been like does this motivate him to come back to school? And you know, I kind of roll my eyes at that. But at the same time, he turned eighteen, like three and a half months ago or so, he is a young eighteen year old and josh I cannot imagine what the reaction would be if we're sitting here watching the draft lottery. I think it's May twelfth, if I remember correctly, and Lady Luck shines on the Jazz they grabbed number one overall, and then Cooper Flag announces he's going back to Duke. Can you imagine the reaction in this city.
Speaker 2: It would be the most like perfect thing that would happen to Utah the one time they finally get the number one seed and Cooper Flag, the guy that they've been taking for decides to stay in college. I mean, I think, yeah, I don't even want to know what that would do to people. I mean, I think people were okay with the Jazz tanking and you know, within reason, but then to not get somebody like Cooper Flag would just be devastating, you know, a generational talent. But that's the age of nil now, man. I mean, I think you know, he can obviously go get paid a fairly great wage at Duke, and if he really wants to get that national championship, you know, good for him. But you know he'd be crazy not to. In my opinion, I mean, I think, you know, all it takes is an injury to derail things. At least if you're in the NBA, you've derailed it and you're in the NBA, so you know it would be crazier things would happen, But it would be the Jazz luck to have that happen where they get the number one pick and then everything goes to crap.
Speaker 1: Well, let's hope that does not go down, but only time. We'll tell Josh. Let's move over to some Utah stuff, and let's start with a piece of news. It appears to be very positive. I'm not going to be the radio host that claims that I was grinding on Fairley Dickinson tape last year. But Terrence Brown was their leading scorer. He's one of the top scorers in the country, and he is a rising junior, which means technically he has three years to play with the grad transfer stuff and a cently the background is he knows Raphael Chilias. But Utah Lands, who, according on three, is a four star transfer with a composite ranking of nearly ninety two out of one hundred. So again I'm not overly familiar. I've just been reading about him or watching some highlights. He's a pretty impressive young six to three sophomore. What do you make of this piece of the puzzle that Alex Jensen and his staff were able to dial in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not going to pretend to know a ton about you know, Fairleigh Dickinson or anything other than their tournament roun a few years back, But I mean, this is a guy that, you know, when you look at what Utah needs to be able to compete, or at least what they haven't had for the last few years, it's been guard play, and it's been outside shooters or guys that can be able to create their own shot, and Utah seemingly found that with Tams Brown. You know, he's a guy that you know, averages about twenty point six points per game, five point six rebounds, three point two assist, So he seems like he can do it all and is kind of a contributor of the offense more than what Utah's had.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Obviously, you know, how he's able to translate to the Big twelve game will be the biggest thing. But I mean, when you're going in there and the first guy that you pull out of the portal, outside of getting Keanuds to withdraw from the portal. This becomes a huge get for Utah just you know, being able to get a guy that they feel confident in, that can score, that can do a lot of things at guard play. You know, he's a combo guard, so you know, I'm curious to see how much he'll have the ball in his hands or if he'll be the guy that they set up. But I mean, you still need great guard play, and especially in the Big twelve, you need that. So I think this is Alex Jensen working early to be able to work on those connections with with Chilias, but also it's being able to address the needs that they've seen in the past and kind of his mindset of he wants this team to be able to run fast, we have some tempo and be able to do that, and the best way to do that is with guard played.
Speaker 1: All right, So that's piece number two of the puzzle. And we're still learning about some of these other players and whether or not, you know, Alex and his staff are trying to get any of them back. So let's move over to some of those pieces of news. And I've got your Twitter feed pulled up. So, according to an account, you retweeted a running Hoops Running Hoops podcast. They're reporting the Josh Eilert will not be returning next season. I don't know that this is surprising, although you did join us pretty quickly after the news came down that Craig was out and the rumors were swirling that Alex was going to be in, and you made a really interesting case that essentially Josh, with two decades a Big twelve experience, might be a guy that Alex looks at. Josh rolled in a studio a few weeks ago, we spent some time together. Seems like a great guy. Moved his family out here, I believe three children, and this business oftentimes is unkind of family dynamics. So what are your thoughts on the news that you know? And I have no idea if AJ even talked to him, but Josh Eilert will not be returning in any role next year for Utah basketball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I know. Alex Jensen was. He was in town last week meeting with the players, meeting with the staff and trying to get his lay of the land on kind of what he could do for the for the you know, ever since Chileus is the first one that he hired there's been a lot more emphasis being placed on wanting to get his NBA guys, Guys that he feels like he has a great connection with guys that have kind of that NBA pedigree, and for whatever reason, Josh Eilert didn't kind of pad them out there. I mean, I think, when you know, I made the case that if you're going to bring Josh Eilert on, it's mostly because of your ability to be able to scout the big twelves and being able to understand what goes on there. But since those conversations that we had, you know, I've kind of heard that there was a little bit more waffling there, especially with.
Speaker 5: The entire staff.
Speaker 2: There's still questions on guys like at David Evans or a low Lease. Obviously they provide connections to whether it be the AAU circuit or in David Evans's case, where you know, obviously he's coached in the state of Utah, He's got a lot of connections there. He also has a great international recruiting base that he can pull from. There's there's still questions remaining about them. I think the longer this goes on, the less likely it becomes.
Speaker 5: But I wouldn't I wouldn't be surprised.
Speaker 2: If David Evans is the guy that they hold on to, if they hold on to somebody, I think just from the Utah standpoint alone, that gives you, you know, the connections inside the state, which look, you know, Utah have some good recruiting, but like you also need some guys that can go out there and recruit from other areas, right, And I think with his ability to recruit outside of the country, yeah, you know the international circuits, I think that gives you a leg up. But look, I mean, I think there's so many different guys that you can go to. I don't know that it's a huge miss if you don't take any of these guys, but I think, you know, these are guys are going to have to fall in line with what the way Alec Jensen wants to do it. And you know, for whatever reason, it seems like Josh Eiler just wasn't the fit there. Whether it was his own choice or whether it was Alex's. You know, I haven't heard anything but that direction, but you know, you wish him best.
Speaker 5: He's a good guy.
Speaker 2: He's kind of a no nonsense guy, but also kind of stays out of the line by just happy to kind of work hard and get a team going forward. So tough to see that, but I think Utah or Alex Jensen specifically has an idea of where he wants to go.
Speaker 1: While we're in the space of talking about Alex's staff, you know, right out of the gates coach Chillius, and then about a week later, Wes hired as the GM and it's been quiet since then. Any insight and Alex hopped on Sean Show earlier today and talked about his desire to have a staff that's maybe a little bit smaller than what we've seen in college basketball as of late, which to me is great. I mean, there's like ten coaches on all these teams now, and so we'll see how this thing kind of takes shape. But do you have any information on the progress or maybe lack thereof and filling out the staff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know he's definitely been working hard to be able to kind of get his guys. I know that there's an NBA guy that he's still trying to work on, and whether that comes down to the NBA season or some other factors, I'm not entirely sure, but I know he wants, you know, at least one more NBA guy. And then outside of that, he's you know, trying to find some connections to the state of Utah, trying to find a good connection that will allow you to be able to whether that be recruiting or just being able to kind of have that that guy that's been in the state in people's homes or whatever that may be, that that is kind of recognizable that way. So you know, he's definitely being intentional with this. This isn't something where he's trying to hire a staff immediately so that they can get going for this next year. He's definitely looking long term, right. I think he's not trying to just kind of put a band aid over something real quick as he's dealing with, you know, what he's at in Dallas. He's definitely trying to be intentional. I mean, he said as much in his inturgal press conference, right Like, he said that he was going to take his time, he was going to do it, and you're you're definitely seeing that. I think, you know, he wants people to buy into his process. He wants people that are going to to maximize kind of his potential, especially if he is going to take that small staff, and I've heard the same thing. I don't think he's going to blow up the staff and make it some massive thing. You still need your directors of operations, you still need more assistant coaches, you need some other things that way. But I think he really attacked it hard and showed kind of his hand by getting Raphael Chilius as an assistant coach and then getting Wes Wilcox as a general manager. He showed kind of the direction he was going where this is going to be my focus. I'm going to focus on the recruits. I'm going to go from the NBA style and go from there. So I don't know that he feels the need to necessarily get something immediately, especially because he's got those proven guys that are able to kind of be in the system already.
Speaker 1: We did get some news over the weekend Ezrasar has entered the transfer portal. Of course, Ezra had a lot of bright moments playing for Craig this year, including the BYU game here in Salt Lake, and you know, I know he has children elsewhere in the country, I think in the Midwest, so maybe he's looking to get closer to home. He did feel like one of the candidates, along with Keanu Dawes, who will be back playing for the You so maybe Alex would take a long hard look at and maybe they still are. But can you shed some light on this information and whether or not Ezra is still considering maybe staying here in Salt Lake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Utah's definitely still in conversations with Ezra. You know, I think they want him, but I think they're gonna want him at the right price. I know we have to say that now in college basketball in college football, which is crazy, but I think, you know, based on his skill set, obviously he had tremendous abilities and tremendous upside, but there's still limiting aspects of his game where he kind of loses the ball on the post. He's not able to, you know, really shoot outside of maybe ten fifteen feet. Great guy around the rim, but outside of that, his game is pretty limited. So I think, you know, they want him. They want him to be able to be a complimentary player to probably Keanu does. Especially since Keanu has shown that he can be a bit more of a well rounded player, maybe his upside is a little bit better, and so if they can get him for the right place, one hundred percent they're gonna take him. But I think at this point, you know that if if the market's not there, Keanu is the guy that they're going to build around. He they've clearly made an emphasis that, you know, they wanted to be able to have him as kind of their their focal point of this team. And so if you can build around Keanu and you can have other players that can kind of work in that system, that helps, and whether Ezra fits in that or not, I you know, I would be surprised if he comes back, just based on everything and kind of how this roster, you know, even though it's not a large roster, but how this roster is taking shape, I would be surprised if those are two players that really kind of complement each other in the game. They have kind of a similar skill set outside of Keanu having a better shooting outside of the post. So, I you know, I know fans really got to love Ezra, you know, I think he was a great guy that spoke well, he was a great guy that fought for the team. But I think at this point, unless the price isn't right, you know, I think it's time to move on from.
Speaker 1: Ezra instead of going down the list. One more basketball quest and then we'll move on. Do you think there are any other players currently quote on the roster in the transfer portal that Alex is talking to trying to get back, whether it's Jake Wahaleen or any of the other players, Yeah.
Speaker 2: You mentioned it. I mean it's Jake Walleen. He's the guy that I think they really want to see come back. The strike that he made year over year from you know, his first year to last year kind of shows where he can go, right. They're excited about that. I know other in state schools are really pushing hard for him, and so I you know, this isn't going to be an easy thing. At the end of the day, Jake's you know, as all these players do. He has to do it's best for him. But I know that they're really interested in him and want to see him develop. But I know a school up north that is is absolutely pushing hard for him. So whether that comes down to money or kind of a better fit, whatever that may be, you know, he's going to be a hot commodity at least in the state alone. And you know, whether Utah gets him or not. You know, it can be a loss, but I don't think it has to be. They needed more out of him from an outside of shooting perspective, and so if he does come back, I think that's where you'd see them definitely grow and try to push his game because he's got he's got a tremendous upset as well. I mean, he gets into that post, he's able to rebound to the high rate, but they do need more shooting from the outside to make his game translates a little bit better with what Alex wants to do.
Speaker 1: All right over to the football side of things is there was a scrimmage on Saturday where media was allowed to watch, which doesn't happen often. There was once upon a time where it happened all the time, but of course things change and people get weird about access, as we've talked about. So any main takeaways from that scrimmage, anything you've fan should know, Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, I think the big takeaway from from this scrimmage alone is that Devin Dampier's the guy, right, I mean, and not there was any questions, but I think there's a noticeable enough difference between Devin Dampier and the rest of the quarterbacks, and right now that's Isaac Wilson and Bird Fickland. Those two have been the guys that have been backing him up. But I really think a guy like Bird Ficklin, who who he needs to put on a ton of weight, you know, just size. He's a smaller bodied guy right now, but he's got one of the best balls that that any of the quarterbacks have. You know, he's starting to make tremendous strides and so you're starting to see Bird kind of pushing Isaac a little bit. Isaac obviously needs to rebuild that confidence that he had after kind of just taking out last year based on having the whole offense on his shoulders and and it just not going well. But by it, Marge, I mean, I think this team, it's it's making the right progressions that it needs to make right. I think one of the questions about this this offense specifically, is that there wasn't really going to be a huge passing game. And you know, there's there is an emphasis more in the run game. As you know, over the last few years, they've wanted to push more of the passing. But I think Utah's utilizing this in a very effective way where they're being diverse and how they run the ball and as such, they're being able to use that to be able to open up a lot of these receivers. And you know, right now, there's not like a standout guy in that wide receiver room that says, Okay, it has to be that guy, you have to throw it to him. It has to be you know, whoever it is, whether it's Dorian Singer or whomever it was. You know, now it's much more of a spread it out distribution, and there's a lot of guys factoring into that and included in that as the tight ends. You know, Lennon King and Dallan Bentley who who had a great scrimmage, they're factored in there. But I think the way that Utah is setting this up where they're going to put the run emphasis there, well, they're still kind of making it a multi dimensional situation, whether that be with Devin Dampierre who can pass a run, whether that's with Nate Johnson or even Hunter Andrews. Hunter Andrews has got some tremendous speed and we're starting to see kind of his potential. This offense can be really fascinating, and I'm really curious to see how this continues to develop over the offseason because I think they could be a very potent offense if these things continue.
Speaker 1: I was going to ask you about the wide receivers, but you kind of broke it down there pretty well. Well, So before I say you lose, there will be another transfer portal window opening for Kyle and his staff with the ability to add to the group. Any thoughts, Maybe it is wide receiver, but any other holes on either side of the ball that you think they're going to look down to before we actually played football come fall, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Wide receiver.
Speaker 2: They're going to try to find a guy that can be kind of that wide receiver one right, Whether that's there or whether they can get it is, it remains to be seen. But that's going to be a big focus. And then defensive line, you're going to get those defensive tackles where you need some more depths there. They've got some good frontline talent, but the guys behind them are either young or they've been in the system a long time and have been injury prone, and so you just need more guys, more bodies there. Defensive ends, you're going to be okay, the defensive tackles you're going to need a little bit more. And then outside of that, I mean it's just kind of best player available. I mean, corner would be nice to be able to add another guy and that to be able to more depth. But I think your big focus going into the transit portal is going to be a wide receiver defensive tackle.
Speaker 1: All right, Josh. By the way, you were on television during one of the pressers, how long has it been since you shaved? That beard is getting weird?
Speaker 2: Man, It's been twenty twenty is when I started growing it. So I'll turn it up from time to time, but I'm keeping the beard as long as I can. Maybe it's motivation to get me to get skinny. Then I can maybe skip shave again.
Speaker 1: All right, man, Well do your thing. It looks good. As long as the wife likes it, you're good to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, right. She actually didn't like it before, and now she doesn't want me to see it shaved, so it's a good thing, I guess.
Speaker 1: All right, brother, thanks for the time. I have a good week.
Speaker 5: All right, Thanks you too, all right.
Speaker 1: Josh Furlong covers the University of Utah, for our friends at KS. I'll stop spot today courtesy of our friends at IFA Country Stores. If you've been out and about over the past twenty four forty eight hours, you are feeling spring conditions. Spring has arrived. It took a little while. March was cold, beginning to be was chilly, but time now to start thinking about your lawn and how to take care of it. Any drive to the basket begins with the first step on the court. That's the ultimate power move. IFA Step one Crabgrass Preventter and their lawn food is the first choice to give your guard the healthy green look you admire. The neighbors will be green with envy. Shop IFA online at IFA dot co op or stop by one of their neighborhood stores today. You in a Tom Petty mood today on a Monday afternoon. What's going on? What's going on with you and there? What's the deal?
Speaker 3: I guess kind of not officially, but yeah. The first two songs going with a little Tom Petty, so maybe we'll keep it going with maybe not no, you can roll with it, but you do.
Speaker 1: You are aware this is a family friendly program, right Yeah, And your first Tom Petty bump songs about weed, dude, just be better.
Speaker 3: Mary Jane's a sweet girlfriend of his.
Speaker 1: It's weed. Just say no, kids, I'm just I'm the one that has to clean up for your poor musical choices by reminding the masses that we're here to take care of families and children.
Speaker 3: Is that our demographic?
Speaker 1: Yeah, just say no. It's all I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I think that sheet said like thirty five seventy Maile.
Speaker 1: Okay, fair enough. Our next guest passes on grass like Greg Fokker from Meet the Parents. Tom Haberstrol Monday afternoon. Hello Tom, how are you?
Speaker 5: I'm good man, how are you? I like that you make that presumption about me.
Speaker 1: Well, if you'd like to discuss your weeat smoking habits on air, Tom, I'm happy to make the space.
Speaker 5: No, this is a family program. You're absolutely right, I think, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it is what an interest? Now? This is still this is still live radio. This is not a podcast. We have to behave ourselves in a way that people like you and Zach Harper do not.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we we have to remind ourselves that we're professionals, because everything in our lives just screams on professionals. So thank you for the reminder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, you guys are very professional. But you know, you can drop a bomb here or there, or you can discuss things on podcasts that you can't discuss on radio, right, I mean that's kind of the deal.
Speaker 5: You tell me Spence, you're the one with the radio show.
Speaker 1: Well, when I go on podcasts, it seems like there's a little bit more freedom to use certain terms. Is that fair to say?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, you know what, I'm just surprised you went with weed. That kind of feels like another maybe like a graduate level program compared to just marijuana, you know, like feels like it feels like it's a little inside baseball.
Speaker 1: Nice job, my bad bubonic product. I've got a bunch of terms so we could use if you want to, but we can move on. I'm speaking of Zach Harper. He does not, like you're Kevin Garnett is Cooper flag com Just so you know.
Speaker 5: Well, Zach is way smarter than me on all things basketball, so I would trust him on all those things. But you know what, he's also a Minnesota Timberwolf lifer, so he probably understands that comparing anyone to KG is like any Bulls fan hearing people compare anybody to Michael Jordan.
Speaker 1: Okay, fair enough, fair enough, And it's funny because of all the comps that I've heard, the Garnett one actually tracks when you watch the way the Cooper can guard and how well he moves. I mean, look, I think you know, whether it's Kawhi or whether it's Garnett. Whenever you compare an eighteen year old to Hall of famers, you're gonna get pushed back. Is there anything about the way Duke went out that could potentially affect the way people view Cooper at all?
Speaker 5: I don't think so, Considering he's the youngest guy on the court by why margin, he was going against a lot older guys, And as much as I want to pin it all on him, I thought that the over the back call that they whistled on him was very borderline. Didn't feel like the right call at that stage. The physicality in the game feels like that was something you might call him the beginning of the game to set the tone for the rest of the game. But the way that Houston was being physical with Duke, I was flabbergasted at that call. And look, he missed the shot there at the end, But He'd made those shots time and time again, so I don't think that that was a bad shot. What really stands out to me is Malowatch having zero rebounds in over twenty minutes of action and that Duke had no rebounds after the four minute mark. That's insane. And some of that falls on Cooper Flag for sure, but it's one game. It's a huge game. And if the Duke Blue Devils went out in like the second round or then the Sweet sixteen, I would have a lot harsher words to say for Cooper Flag and John Shire and Duke. That was an epic collapse. But I wouldn't put this put this all on Cooper Flag, and it wouldn't change my evaluation of him.
Speaker 1: That's the type of lost Tom. I don't care if it's you know, Pete Van Sicklin and Ernie Verena and Staples in nineteen ninety five. It doesn't matter what level you played, it doesn't matter how long it's been. A loss like that. I don't think ever fully leaves you. Like if you're John Schi, if you're Conkain Nipple, the Malawatch kid or Cooper like all of them are probably gonna go on those All three of those kids are lottery picks. They're gonna make millions of dollars and play basketball for years. But the way they went out, I'm not sure a loss like that ever fully leaves you.
Speaker 5: It's traumatic, it's the best way to describe it. As a basketball player. It's you're always gonna think about it, like if you're up six with thirty six seconds left. For the rest of your career, you're going to be thinking about San Antonio.
Speaker 1: You're gonna be thinking.
Speaker 5: About what happened against the Houston Cougars. And that's that's the fact of the matter. For any athlete who's ever suffered a loss like that, you are always going to have it in the back of your mind. Now, time heals all wound, so eventually it'll fade for memory and it won't be so harsh and searing of a loss over time. But I can't imagine that anyone who suffers that kind of loss. I mean, I'll tell you what, I don't know. If you watch the White Lotus, oh yeah, it seems. I mean the text that I got from all my buddies in North Carolina, it was the duke shirt with the dad Ratcliff with the gun to his head, and I was sitting there being like, that feels like we're in a simulation now, because how is White Lotus picking the one team that has the most depressing most I can't believe that just happened loss, the most brutal loss of the tournament, and it happened right before the finale of White Life, which feels like we are part of this simulation where it's all connected in some way, just like in the White Lotus season finale. No spoilers, but that was one of the big themes, was how we're all connected in some way, and that finish by the Blue Devils did feel like this was preordained somehow that it would promote the White Lotus season finale that was last night. And I'm still gathering my thoughts on both the Duke loss on Saturday night and White Lotus on Sunday night. But both of them felt like big events in the year twenty twenty five, and.
Speaker 1: I was wrong about both. Just to be clear, I do not see either coming. But yeah, we'll leave the spoiler alerts for White Lotus software today. I do have one more question, Tom, and I don't think there's anything here. Let me be clear, my personal opinion and my personal belief is that Cooper is leaving. He's going. He's a generational player that's going to be the number one pick, and he is healthy, so you gotta go do that. Okay. Now, the other side of it is he is a young eighteen year old. He turned eighteen I think three and a half months ago, and a taste in your mouth like that to leave college maybe something that motivates him to come back because of his age and five years ago, this is a conversation we would not even be having. However, I could actually foresee whether it's you know, Cooper, Kahn, k Nipple, the Malawatch kid, all three of them saying, look, we know we're lottery picks, but we're all young, we're teenagers. And if Duke wants to step up with an NIO package that will pay them more for one year than what all of them could make as rookies in the NBA, to run it back and try to get john Shire's first national championship, I guess I would say stranger things have happened based off the current landscape, and I'm sitting here shaking my head because I'm now imagining a scenario on May twelfth when the NBA lottery is held and the Jazz get number one, and then the next day Super Flag announces that he's going back to Duke. I do not know what it would be like around here.
Speaker 5: What do you what do you pain?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Oh man, oh man, I don't even want to think about it. But any shot in hell that that actually goes.
Speaker 5: Down, I think it's even less likely now than it was before that collapse, because I think there's no upside in coming back. There's the only way that you have redemption or that you win that equation is if you win the National Championship, right, Like anything short of that is just making more salt in the wound. And I think when you lose in the final four in epic fashion like that, there's only one way to forget that whole thing and to make those wrongs right is to win it all the next year, and just with a one and done style format of the NCAA tournament. I just I don't see the upside there being worth it, because in the NBA, you can make the argument that like a team's that much better than everybody else in a seven game series. You have a better shot of asserting your dominance in a seven game series, not in a one and done where something flukey can happen and everything collapses like a house of cards. So I think before that Cooper Flag championship or the Final four loss, I would say there's better odds if they win at all, that he would come back and do it again like Jokim Noah and Al Horford did. Then if they had this cataclysmic loss in the Final four, and I would just say, there's also this dynamic of dabansa next year where if he Cooper Flag comes back, and Canipple comes back and Malawatch comes back, there's an excellent draft class coming through next year that they're going to have to be competing for draft picks next year, and not only competing for draft picks or draft slot, you're competing for millions of dollars first year salary or at least rookie scale salaries. So I think the risk for Cooper Flag actually got even higher in deciding to come back. So I agree with you, I don't think it's gonna happen, and I think it's even more of a long shot, A long shot that turns into even more of a long shot. If they lose that game in horrific fashion. I think it's I don't even I don't think it's gonna happen. But you know what, stranger things have happened, like blowing a what was it a nine point lead with a minute twenty left? What was the what was the largest gap there probability? I think it was that six point lead with thirty two seconds left.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were up nine with a minute. They were outscored nine to zero over the final thirty five seconds. And you know, strictly from a basketball standpoint, I felt really bad that john Shire didn't I felt bad for the players that John Shire didn't dial up a different inbounds play. They tried the same inbounds play over and over and over. They were trapped in the corner. They overcame a Houston player reaching over the end line to try to swap the ball out of I think it was Nipple's hands where Duke got a teck and possession, like the pion. James kid is a really good player, just looked panicked to trying to inbound the basketball. I honestly, Tom, I have tremendous respect for Duke basketball and John Shire. I thought their coach let them down down the stretch.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then he forget about the caniple kick out of bounds that went the wrong way. Yep, And it was it was a it was a crazy finish to that game. And you're still watching like wow, wow, like how did that happen? And there have been times where what was it the I seem to remember Maryland coming back against Duke down ten? Was it the other way around where it was like wojo, and like, I'll never forget if you're up by ten with a minute left. Ever since that that loss happened, I've never forgotten it, Like I've always in my head, no matter who it is who's playing no ten point lead with a minute left, his states like I wanted to be fifteen and this is the same sort of game. Well, I will for a long time look at a six point lead differently with thirty three seconds left NBA or college basketball, because that just happened in one of the biggest stages. So look, I think it's been a rough collapse for the Duke program. You know, when you talk about losing to NC State a year ago, and then losing to UNC and then losing here. It's been a really tough road for Duke. But I am not crying for them as as a wake forest, a lump based here in Charlotte who grew up a tar Heel fan. I'm not shedding any tiers, but like you, I had Duke winning it all and maybe that was an emotional hedge for me.
Speaker 1: The game you're talking about, I remember it now. It's the miracle minute. That was Jay Williams. That was that Maryland team with Wan Dix's and Steve Blake. Boozer was on Duke, as was Mike dud Levy and Chris Duhant. Duke came down, came back from ten minutes from ten points down with a minute twenty left to play. That was two thousand and one. I do remember that game now that you mention it.
Speaker 5: Yes, that was. That's the game where it's kind of scarring, where once once that happens and you've seen it with your eyes, you're just like, yeah, no, no, ten point lead with a minute left is safe, and you know there's I think if this was a bunch of eighteen year olds going at it, you know, like seniors in high school and Cooper Flag had that kind of collapse, I'd probably put a little bit more weight, like why couldn't it be dominated more down the stretch. But because some of these guys are you know, fifth year seniors and twenty two year olds, twenty three year olds in some cases, like I'm not sweating it for Cooper Flag, but it does give me a lot of excitement, you know, a lot of debate going into the draft that otherwise wouldn't have been there if he had run the table. I feel like we would just be running out of things to say about Cooper Flag because he's that good. And now we can actually, you know, to a little bit of me dow on that bone of is there something that we're missing, because I think it is healthy. A little bit of a little bit of doubt or a little bit of criticism is healthy for a prospect where the bar isn't so high that he cannot physically, you know, reach those expectations. Because the only one that's ever done it, in my opinion, is Lebron James. And I mean it's just hyping someone to that degree. We did it with Zion Williamson, we did it with Anthony Davis. Cooper Flag, to me, feels like as big of an American prospect as we've had in decades. And Wenby doesn't count because I don't think America really knew what we were talking about with Wemby because he was French and because he hadn't played college hoops over here. But this feels like Cooper Flag losing in the final four. It feels like it might be some healthy adversity for him. Maybe I'm just I'm Roase color glasses year, but I think for Utah the I do not see Cooper Flag returning to Duke for another year, even if let's say another team that he's not super enentuies about. I think the odds of him returning actually decreased after that catachclismic loss.
Speaker 1: Tell me what before we do some NBA, before we say you lose a lot of conversation about this tournament. Specifically, I think there was one, maybe two overtime games. I think there was one game winner. There were no Cinderellas. Now all four number one seeds leads high quality basketball. I thought Saturday was awesome and I'm excited for the game tonight, But what's the Tom Haberstrow take on the NCAA March Matdis Tournament of twenty twenty five.
Speaker 5: I think it's better to have big name program in the final four than having a Cinderella run and then end in like the Elite eight. Like I think, all things considered, this is going to be great for ratings. It was great for the national conversation. And while as much as I like a good Cinderella, a good Saint Peter's a good George Mason, when it comes to the final four, I feel like we all collectively understand that they don't really have a real chance of winning this whole thing. Whereas all four of these teams that were in the final four, you wouldn't be surprised if anyone made the distance, and that kind of intrigue and that kind of those stakes felt bigger with the final four being all the top seeds basically, And I would say it's the same thing for the NBA. As much as we don't as much as we say and claim that we want parody, I think what fans really want secretly is Steph Curry going against Lebron James for the eighteenth time. I think people want that, they want rivalries. They want brand names, household names in the end, and there's a little hipster in everybody that wants Hey, wouldn't it be cool if it was Memphis versus Indiana in the NBA Finals this year? At the end of the day, I think Boston LA or Cleveland LA in the finals more people would care about that than if it was even Okay See. I feel like people would want to say, it'd be great to see Okay See up there Cleveland. What a great NBA Finals that would be. But at the end of the day, that would draw half the audience of a Lakers Cleveland or a Lakers Boston series. And the same thing goes for college basketball. We want the blue bloods, we want the big name programs, we want the number one seeds there at the end. But I can understand the argument that the Cinderella is the fact that we didn't get really any Cinderellas into the Sweet sixteen or close to it. I can understand.
Speaker 6: I think the.
Speaker 5: Optimal thing is a couple Cinderella's early on, and then we see the big dogs down the stretch.
Speaker 1: So Oklahoma City in the midst of a historic run. They just went nineteen and won over a twenty game stretch, but they have lost back to back games at full strength. You know, all their players played at Houston and then they got trounced by the Lakers. And I will say as a fan of this game, watching two players like Lebron and Luca and dialing in on them and watching them kind of figure it out is pretty fascinating with the way they think about the game. But any concern at all as we only have a handful of games left, four or five for most teams, with where Oklahoma City finds themselves, there's just a couple l's, is all.
Speaker 5: I think it's two l's with incredibly hot shooting on the other side, like those are tough shots. The fact is that it took two sun like the surface of the sun, shooting nights to beat OKAC And not to say that they aren't beatable, but if they weren't such outliers from downtown where they're combined against Houston and the Lakers, they shot over fifty percent from three point land and that's that's the recipe, and that's the recipe for against the ninety six Bowls or the twenty seventeen Warriors. Like you need to have an outrageously hot shooting night in order to topple the Oklahoma City Thunder. And you can sit here and say like they they exploited a weakness, et cetera, et cetera. But it's a make or miss league, and that means the same for Okay seeing the rest of the team is that if the opponents, like the Lakers in the Houston Rockets, are gonna shoot lights out against you, they're gonna win. They're gonna win every once in a while against the Thunder, But in a seven game series, I don't see the Lakers hitting twenty two threes on fifty five percent shooting from downtown. And if they do that, then yeah, they're gonna win the series against Oka. See, but I just don't see that being sustainable.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you about a couple of teams out this way that I don't really think we've just discussed very much. And the Clippers went through this stretch where they lost six of seven, and then since then they're fourteen and three in their last seventeen, with wins over the Pistons, the Knicks, the Calves, the Grizzlies, a couple wins over the Knicks and I could keep going. I mean, there's some wins over bad teams in there. But you know, every time Kawhi is healthy and every time he decides to be engaged, we're all reminded of like, oh, yeah, that's who he is when he decides if basketball is important and he actually is healthy. Are you buying any of this? Are they a legitimate threat to do some sort of special thing come playoff time?
Speaker 5: Man, I'm going to let you in on a little teaser here that if you subscribe to my newsletter Tom Thefinder dot com, you'll see it in there, but I'll give it to your listeners here. And just with the knowledge that I'm going to give you something, please go subscribe Tom Thefinder dot com free, your paid doesn't matter. This stat blew me away when I was working on it over the weekend. I wanted to know when Luca and Lebron are on the floor, or when Fred VanVleet and Alburn Shangoon are on the floor, or John Morant and Jaron Jackson Junior on the floor, Haliburton and Siakam. Basically, when each team has their star players on the floor, what is the point differential? How much do they outscore opponents with their stars on the floor. And the fact of the matter is the Clippers have the best on court net rating for their stars on the floor, meaning when James Harden and Kawhi Leonard are on the floor for the Clippers, they're outscoring opponents by whopping thirteen point two points every one hundred possessions. You look at any star collection in the NBA for all the title contenders Cleveland, Okay, see Boston, Lakers, Minnesota. You look at when the Cleveland Cavaliers have their four all stars on the floor, and I'm counting Jared Allen there too, Carlyn Mitchell, Evan Mobley and Jared Allen. They're at plus ten. Kawhi and James Harden and Zubots on the floor, Norm Powell on the floor, Derreck Jones Junior, when Harden and Koi are on the floor, they're at plus thirteen. No one else is higher than that. And that really shows that when those two are healthy, James Harden and Kawhi Leonard, they're going to compete at the highest levels. And I mean against okay, see I mean against the Lakers, I mean against anybody. And one thing that's interesting that kind of got obscured by the huge Lakers win yesterday. Is that Lebron James and Luka Doncic have the lowest star net rating among all the title contenders. They're barely above zero, barely above zero. And that is interesting. I know that it's an you know, Luka Doncic just got acquired, he's working back from his injury. But most of the title contenders have their stars. When they're on the floor, they blow out opponents by doubled and the Lakers are a huge outlier in this. That Lebron James and Luka Doncic are basically breaking even when they're on the floor together, and that, you know, one game sample size of yesterday barely nudged them above the mendos or the break even line, And that's really interesting. No one else is in the same territory as Lebron and Doncic on the floor. They've got to figure out a way to maximize those two guys. And last night was incredible and Austin Reeves has been great, But it is interesting that the Lakers there have been some blowouts that they've been enduring since that trade. Is this is a source of concern for the Lakers, and definitely a source of appreciation for what Kawhi Leonard and he's healthy, and James Harden and he's healthy.
Speaker 1: What they can do, Yeah, whatever Kauhi is healthy for an extended period of time, I'm always just reminded of, like, Yeah, there was a moment in time in his career that we actually considered him maybe the best player in this league outside of Lebron. And I'm realizing this in real time. And I'll ask you about one more team before he sets you loose, like the Clippers. The Timberwolves went through a stretch they went two and six over an eight game period. They even lost to the Utah Jazz, which does not happen very much. Yeah, and then after that, they're also fourteen and three in their last seventeen with some good wins, including a win over the Nuggets, and I could keep going, you know, two wins over Denver. So are you buying the recent surge from Minnesota? Are what are their chances to make some noise come playoff time? As that's right around the corner.
Speaker 5: So for my title tiers that just came out this morning, I actually upgraded the Clippers to a four Star tier and the other team on that tier the Minnesota Timberwolves. They're elite on both ends of the floor. They're tenth on offense adjusted for their opponent schedule and fifth defensively adjusted for their opponents strength. So this team is top five on defense, top ten on offense, and with their health on their side, now that they're healthy, they're really deep and they're good. And nos Red I think is the better option. That's to Rudy Gobert in crunch time and in the postseason rather than Julius Randall. But that's a good problem to have, like when you got two studs there. And I'm lower on Julius Randall than most people, But when you have the option to have a stretch five or a stretch four like nas Red instead of a bully like Julius Randall, if you need to go one on one and a guy to get you a bucket, probably lean towards Julius Randall. If Anthony Edwards is, you know, fatigue down the stretch or dealing with foul trouble, don't want to get a charge against them or anything like that, you got options. And this team with doctor Deevin Chenzo also stepping up his game, being one of the most efficient scorers in the NBA over the last couple months. This team is a four star contender. I still think that the Golden State Warriors are in a tier above along with OKC, Boston and Cleveland. I've got four teams in the five star tier. And that loss yesterday by the Golden State Warriors, Aman Thompson, what a performance by the Houston Rock is to absolutely shut down Steph Curry. It's it's going to be an absolute dogfight in the Western Conference. I'm not ready for it, Like I'm I'm already stressing out by all the good teams that are gonna get eliminated in this playing tournament. We're looking, I'm telling you, this is crazy. We're looking at the possibility of the Lakers getting the number two seed in the Western Conference or being eliminated in the play in tournament. That's that's what the next week is gonna tell us, because they have the opportunity to get the number two seed or the number eight seed. And if you're in the number eight seed, your two losses away from being eliminated from the playoffs before they even start. And that's where we're at with the Lakers, they can be anywhere from number two and number eight. And that's just that's that goes for Minnesota, that goes for Golden State, that goes for Houston Memphis. It's going to be crazy and I can't wait for it.
Speaker 1: Tom, where can people go find all the work? Buddy?
Speaker 5: Uh my X feed Tom Haveerstrow. Also Tom Underscore Haberstrow on Instagram. If you love Top Chef, got a Top Chef podcast going right now that's kicking in the high gear, So go check that out. And Tomdefinder dot com.
Speaker 1: You really think Zach is smarter than you are when it comes to basketball?
Speaker 5: Uh yeah, he's a big bully, that guy. I don't want to I don't want to get on his bad side.
Speaker 1: So yeah, all right, yeah, Well, I appreciate the time, man, have a good week. We'll chat. So all right, Seed'll go with Tom Haerstrow. I'm about to send out my prize picks lineup for the National Championship Game tonight via social media, which I never do, but they've asked me to do it, and I well, I feel bad. So before I do this, it'll be up on my Twitter page, maybe Instagram I hate social media, but they're a valued client of ours, so I'm going to do this. Let me just say, do not copy these picks. None of us know what we're doing. Okay. The ones that present themselves as experts are just trying to sell you something. I'm trying to take care of a client. So I'm about to send out my prize picks. Lineup. I've got a little parlay going on for the National Championship game tonight. Tony Parks Live and studio in a bit, but joining us now. Belle Frasier, Salt Lake Tribune Bell, Happy Monday. How are you good? How are you? I'm well. Are you one that likes to risk a couple of ducats here and there on sports? You ever bet you ever get involved in any of this stuff?
Speaker 6: No, not at all. I am. I do not touch the betting bell.
Speaker 1: That is the smart approach. I'm very very proud of you. Hey put into context because I am old enough, and I very much know that you are not. But I am old enough to remember back in March of nineteen ninety four when Wayne Gretzky set the record for goal scored, and he has held the record since March of nineteen ninety four, and once upon a time, bell it felt like people talked about this like they talk about John Stockton's assist record now, like there's no way anybody is ever passing this, and Elvechkin does it put this into context for us?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was always known as the impossible record. And Sportsnet released an interview with Ovechkin actually yesterday, from like ten years ago or something at the World Championships, and he was like, well, of course, I'm Elliott Fried and asked him if he ever thought he could break it, and he was like, of course not, like that's impossible, especially with the modern game right now, the goaltenders and how much better defensemen are and just it's a more high skilled game. But there's definitely less space out there, and goalies are better and they have bigger pads, and so I think everyone just put it in the back of their mind that Gretzky would forever hold that record, and Obskin defied all odds, and I think people were questioning it the past few years when he slowed down and the Capitals looked like they might be going towards a rebuild of sorts, but over the summer they retooled. They brought in some guys and other guys like Dylan Strom who assisted on that goal with Tom Wilson, have just had really good seasons and from getting swept by the Rangers in the first round last year, the Washington Capitals might win the President Trophy. Probably will, so I think that definitely helped with the fact. But yeah, an incredible achievement. Definitely had goosebumps watching that happen. I think if you're a hockey fan or just sports fan in general, those moments in history are really cool to witness. And congrats to him. It's been a really fun race to watch.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I guess we should learn our lesson and Gen xers like myself learn our lesson when we say, you know, this will never be broken, but does it feel like this is a record that you have to play bell, as you know, at such a high level for so long to even touch where Gretzky was and Alvechkin now is. Does this feel like one of those records It might be, you know, standing for a long long time.
Speaker 6: It definitely feels like it, right, But like you said, how some we sit there and say that when that's what we were all saying ten years ago. So who knows, but I think it'll probably be a while before someone gets close to this. But yeah, I won't say a definite no, because look Whatovuchkin did.
Speaker 1: For sure. All right, it's probably time to say that all of our dreams of seeing Stanley Cup hockey in our market year one, it's probably time to say that's not happening. Fair to say, fair to say for sure? All right, it feels like it's less on the performance of the Utah Hockey Club and more on whatever the hell Saint Louis figured out. How did the Blues get so hot?
Speaker 2: Bill?
Speaker 6: It's wild. I mean, you think about three weeks ago to a month ago, Utah was within four points and two points at a certain time from the Saint Louis Blues, and it was always cut to Canucks catch the Blues. And the Blues have won twelve straight I believe, franchise records. They have just gotten off running. And we've talked about it before. Utah was going to need help to make the playoffs. It didn't matter if they won out or won eighty or ninety percent of their remaining regular season games. They would need the teams around them. To lose and the Saint Louis lose at the exact opposite, so that definitely hurt Utah's chances. But I also think no matter how well the club has been playing down the stretch here, it's those games in October, November, December, when they were still figuring things out, when they were giving up late leads, when they were losing in overtime and didn't have a full healthy roster that's really caught up to them. You think about the amount of games that have slept went through their fingers this season, and it's the same for any team not making the playoffs. But it's hard to write off a game early and early on in the season when those points would mean a lot right now, but I don't think Utah Hockey Club fans should be that upset. The expectation this year was to just have a better season and then last year keep the rebuild going, and that has happened. Young stars have played well, the new veterans have played well, and they kept themselves in it until the final stretch of the season. So I think that was the goal for the front office and next year will probably be you know, the official push for their first playoff berth since the COVID bubble.
Speaker 1: And winning three of their last four. You know, after they went down to Tampa and got spanked eight zero, part of me wondered, like, all right, they might know the deal. They might know that this fight for the wild guard is not going to happen. But I've been impressed obviously. I mean, Winnipeg has been insanely good all year. Calgary's no slouch. The Blackhawks aren't good, but what have they done well? Winning three of the last four bell since they came back from that road trip that wasn't great?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I agree. When you saw that Tampa game ain't nothing, you thought maybe they would just put their hands up then take carel vimlka out of net, just let the rest of the season play out. But they did the exact opposite, and head coach Andre Spreeney said his team is the easiest team to coach in the NHL right now because they're so locked in, they care so much. He doesn't need to go in there and give a rallying speech right now. He said, they're blocking out the outside noise and all they want to do is play and play well. So I think for them, even if you're not playing for the playoffs right now. You're playing to win and build momentum for next season. And the Winnipeg Jets were really good measuring stick for Utah the way they dominated and handled that game. That's the number one team in the NHL. And while Utah will not see them in the first round of the playoffs this year, they might next year. And I think it's a good confidence booster to know that you can play that shutdown of a game against a team that is a Stanley Cup contender. So they're still motivated and there's a lot of guys playing for more. I talked to Nick d Simone today, who has been their seventh defenseman since January when he got claimed off of waivers, and he might go in tomorrow because John Marino is day to day with an upper body injury, but he's on an expiring contract. Nick Duke stad Is, Michael Karconi is, So guys in there are playing for the next deal. They're playing for a lot more than playoffs too, So I think there's still a lot of motivation in there and they want to give their fans a fun end to the first season, even if it's not a playoff birth.
Speaker 1: Oh Bell, I've got your Twitter pulled up. I see you've discovered my friends at Central Ninth Market.
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh, that was like the best sandwich I've ever had.
Speaker 1: Yeah, have you tried the breakfast sandwich?
Speaker 6: No, I was going to get the breakfast sandwich, but I went.
Speaker 1: With the Morta Dallas okay, which and that's a safe bet. But you got to try the breakfast sandwich soon. It will. It will blow your mind. It's that good.
Speaker 6: Okay, I'll go back. I was gonna go back anyway, so that'll be my order this time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, shout out to my buddies over at Central Ninth. And you probably discovered by now that Faulk thinks he's a foodie, right, like he has all the recommendations, right.
Speaker 6: He is some good wrecks he does.
Speaker 1: Don't say that out loud. It just furthers the narrative and it just inflates as ego. But anyway, moving on, so you reference the push next year, So let's move into that space because if we're honest, it's just not happening this year. There are still games to talk about five, four or five, depending on which team you are. If you're Bill Armstrong and if you're the decision makers and the roster constructors, are you simply allowing this young group to continue to grow? Are there places you think additions need to be made? How do they take that next up, the next step next year? So we actually do see Stanley Cup Hockey and Salt Lake.
Speaker 6: I think it's the mix of both chased in an interesting position because it's young talent like Coolly Guns, their jersey's still young, Kestering, all of those guys, mc bain, Josh Jones, They've really had strong years and you can see if this team is going to be successful in the future, it's going to be those guys carrying it. Obviously you throw Clayton Keller in there, but that's a given. So I think they feel comfortable with what their core will be moving forward, and then you also have to balance they have a lot of prospects in the pipeline. Everyone's excited about Tijiginla col Bodan if they can get Simischev and Daniel boot to come over from the KHL next season, So those guys will probably spend some time in the AHL, but you definitely have to mark your window of when you want them to make the transition, but I do think Utah needs some reinforcements up front before those players are NHL ready. We've talked about this for a while, but someone in their top six that just has a scoring punch that can put away the backbreaker in a third period, who can extend the lead, and even a top six center as well. I think you're just looking for a little bit more edge, flair consistency in that top six that Utah maybe hasn't had throughout the season. So they definitely have their main pieces, but I think if they could bring someone in. We've talked about them being in the Mitch Marner stakes, who knows if that will actually happen. Sam Bennett's a center from the floor, the Panthers who won a Stanley Cup with Kevin Stenlin. You know, you never know the perfect fit. But they have a lot of cap space this summer, so I imagine they'll go through all of their options. And then Utah brought in some of its biggest players like Sergachev and Marino last summer through trade, so Utah has some players that haven't lived up to expectations this year. They also have a lot of draft picks and prospects that they could bundle, So I don't think people should only look at free agency for where Utah might impact the roster. Could definitely be through trade two. That's something general manager Bill Armstrong did. But yes, I think for them to turn the corner next year to make the playoffs, they're going to need that sharpshooter or a legitimate top six center, just something to kind of bolster them there.
Speaker 1: You know, you reference some of the games they allowed to slip away earlier on in the season, leaving points on the table. It's it's kind of wild looking at the standings where you you know, you look at the Eastern Conference and the Bruins, the Flyers and the Penguins are the three worst teams in the East. And there are three of like the biggest brands and all of pro hockey, but there are no there are no teams bell in the East that have fewer home wins than the Utah Hockey Club. The worst home team in the East actually is the Rangers. Sorry for you and I Ranger fans. Eighteen wins at the Garden, which is pathetic, but seventeen wins at the Delta Center for the Utah hockey club, and from my vantage point Bell, but you're the expert. Two things, poor home performances and then also inability to close out games that you're leading going into the third period. Is that a maturation process? Are you expecting that to be better year two in Salt Lake?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's definitely a maturation process, and I think you've seen it get a lot better in the second half of the season. A majority of those losses on home ice came in the first half, when the guys admitted to it, They're like, we're gripping our six to tide. You want to win in front of these fans who are not dealing with the pressure well, and they were throwing away leads. They're letting coach called it emotional. They're letting their mental game get in front of the physical game on the ice. But I think you've really seen that start to shift in the second half, and they've been able to close out games. They've been able to come back from deficits. You know, they've come back from three nothing deficits and games to fourth over time in a shootout. So I definitely think you're seeing them believe in their own process a bit more. And then Once you start winning on home ice and you get the crowd behind you, it just builds that momentum and you've really seen that here in the past. But I think it was also important that they didn't freak out a lot of those games they were losing on home ice in the beginning. It was only by a goal or two, so it wasn't like they were getting blown out every time they came to Salt Lake City. So for them and a young team who's growing, they always talked about taking the good from the games, even if it was a loss, and I think they stuck with that. They didn't write every loss off as a terrible performance, and it's got them to winning on home ice now, and it's definitely something I imagine they put a big emphasis on going forward as the new market here continues to grow.
Speaker 1: What is going on with our New York Rangers. Why has this not been the step up that we were all expecting after the solid season a year ago.
Speaker 6: I have tapped out. I cannot.
Speaker 1: Oh no, well, you can't tap out. You can't tap out.
Speaker 6: I watch it when I can, but it's too depressing to fully invest in when you know my full time job is also watching hockey. So I'll put on the Lightning Rangers game tonight because Utah is not playing. But it's a tough team to invest in this year, for sure.
Speaker 1: That's fair. That's fair. All right. Let me move over here. So I have kind of a running joke with a lot of the hockey guests I have on this year that we are now hockeytown USA. A moniker that of course exists in Detroit, Michigan, where they throw octopus on the ice? Are we did we find our answer to throwing octopus on the ice where fans apparently are now throwing broccoli on the ice of the Delta Center.
Speaker 6: It seems like it that was really funny. If they were interviewing cREL Bamelka after his thirty three save performance against the Winnipeg Jibs and his twentieth consecutive start, you would never know. So an outstanding showing from him that helped Utah win the game. But there's been shout out Brandon from Utah Hockey Club Club on Twitter or x. He runs the fan page. He started showing up to the games with a broccoli like hat face mask thing on, and a bunch of other people started wearing the broccoli hat, so broccoli seemed to be the vegetable to represent the Malka or the team. And then yeah, after the game whatever two nights ago, raw real broccoli was on the ice. So we'll see. That's the first time it happened. We'll see if it continues to keep happening. But it's really cool, you know, without a team name, without much hockey history, fans have found their own traditions. And I'll always think of Utah Hockey Club when I see broccoli now too. So that's been a really cool subplot to the season, just seeing how fans kind of make their own hockey culture before the official branding is released.
Speaker 1: Is the plural of oct to push OCTOPI? I honestly don't know.
Speaker 6: I honestly don't know either.
Speaker 1: Well, you're a writer, okay, I'm an.
Speaker 6: Idiot radio hokay, bad journalist over here?
Speaker 1: All right, Hey, oh thank you, porter. My producer looked it up. Octopuses that doesn't sound right. I'm going I'm going with OCTOPI. It is a right, Okay, Fine, what happens? So they signed Mamelka to the contract extension, and we're of course still tracking the progress and hoping Connor's doing well. How do you think the goalie situation settles in during the offseason going into next year, Bell.
Speaker 6: It'll be interesting. I actually just wrote a story on this, But teams need two goaltenders throughout the NHL season. Any team that it's going to be a contender is going to make the playoffs. They need to be able to have a one A, one B. And that doesn't necessarily need to mean a goalie rotation where you're going one on and one off. But it's it's no longer Henrik Lungquist playing seventy plus game season for four years in a row, where Andrew Raycroft played seventy two out of eighty two games in the early two thousands. NHL starters are playing fifty tops games a year. So it's great that Famelka is getting this teching on him. They have a lot of data on him on how he needs to recover and if he can handle long stretches, which he's proven he can, which makes people feel good about his contract. But like you said, the hope is that Connor Ingram is able to come back next year. He has one year left on his contract, that he's healthy, that he's ready to go, and then I think you feel really confident in a Vmelka Ingram kind of duo there that Ingram would be able to come in when the Milka needs the rest or just split up the workloads. But I think it's definitely something the team needs to think about. If Ingram is not able to return, they're going to have to go out and look for another goalie. They have good prospects, but none of them are kind of the fortified, certified backup that you need. I think you've seen that that they don't trust it because they have Ma Milica for twenty games straight. So the simplified answer is they're going to need someone else as well, and we hope it's Connor Ingram.
Speaker 1: All right, Bell, what is the latest intel you reference? It's a team without a name, and we keep hearing reports here there about trademarks filed and momentum in this direction that direction. What's the latest on this project to name our hockey club out here?
Speaker 6: Yeah? I mean Smith Entertainment Group is smart enough to know that everyone's stands and media like are smoothing all over the trademark website. All of that's public information. So what they've done is they've paid to extend the application process for basically all of the names. It's more than a dozen names, so Scorm and Blizzard and names that obviously are not real contenders are still active under their ownership on the trademark website, so that way, if everything's active and they don't kill any trademark applications, then you can't tell which one they're going to go with. But the only three logos other than the Utah Hockey Club and All a Girl season logos that are registered on the trademark website under SEG Hockey are the Mammoth Outlaw and Utah Hockey Club slash Yetti logo that they represented during the fans survey that were leased. So although they've extended all those names, don't worry fans. The ones he voted were still the top three and it sounds like they're going to announce the name sometime around the NHL Draft in June, So no real updates. I mean, the news this week was that they just extended all of them, so the news was that nothing has been eliminated essentially, But yeah, I would keep an eye out for NHL Draft June when the season ends for an official announcement.
Speaker 1: Last thing, Bella set you loose on this. The hockey club announcer are going to give out some awards, their individual awards after their final home game. I think it's Nashville if I remember correctly off the side of my head coming up. Okay, So after the Nashville game, I'll just ask you who's the MVP and why? What do you think?
Speaker 6: Ooh, that's so hard. I would have said Sergachhovs and I can I give three. I'm gonna go Sev the Milka. I mean, I just think all three of those guys this team is in anywhere close to sniffing a postseason run if they don't have the seasons that they do. Sergachev came in and certified himself as the number one defenseman. He had to relearn how to walk this off season after breaking his left leg at the end of last year. He's on the powerplay, penalty killed five on five, bogging twenty five plus minutes. Tonight took on a leadership role, gotten the assistant captain a on his jersey a couple months into the season. So I think he's been everything they needed him to be. Clinton Keller. I feel like there's no explanation needed there. He is Captain Clutch. He's carried this team throughout the last seven to eight years before he even had the Captain c and his production has been Barnun and then Jamelka. We've talked about it. Bill Armstrong even said it. He saved their season when they were in a really tough spot. So I think all three of those guys are deserving of it, and we'll see what fans think and what the higher ups pick.
Speaker 1: Are you a fan of bacon?
Speaker 6: Bacon?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yes, Okay, so Belle, what you need to do because now I'm only thinking about sandwiches at this point after I saw the picture the Central Ninth Breakfast sandwich. If you're brave enough, the mortadella and the bacon on the sandwich is the way to go. It's a lot of meat, but if you're a man, it is excellent. Bell, I promise you.
Speaker 6: Okay, I will go back. I'll order that and I'll have an update for you in weeks time.
Speaker 1: Perfect. And also just know that I'm the one that told Falk about Central Ninth, just so you know.
Speaker 6: Okay, okay, noted?
Speaker 1: Okay, Thanks? Bell, have a good week, all right.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: At Belle Fraser covers the Utah Hockey Club for the Salt Lake Tribune. At bell Fraser one is where you find her on Twitter. She's a really bright young journalist. My guest is she's not going to be here for very long. She's got a little podcast over the trip, and she does a really, really good job. I am firm in my belief that the the term for multiple octopus is OCTOPI. I think the plural for octopus is. It's not octopuses that sounds or octopedes. No, it's OCTOPI. Sorry, saying octopuses on air honestly sounds like I could get kicked off air. It sounds inappropriate.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe it does sound that way, but hey, you asked your resident wildlife guy here.
Speaker 1: No, that's fair, That's what I'm here for. Okay, you've never have you ever swam with either a single octopus or multiple OCTOPI? I'm going with it, man.
Speaker 3: I have Actually I have liar where like way south of the Equator.
Speaker 1: Ways out for the Equator.
Speaker 3: I've been to a place called Murrietta Islands, which is off the coast of like part of a arta Ish okay, and they it's like a it's like a wildlife refuge plush with octopi. There, I saw a octop octopus. Okay, not no ou to pusses or octipedes. It sounds weird. Octopi sounds cleaner and better. I don't disagree with you. They just don't go.
Speaker 1: With it, all right, Well they should. Salt Lake B's Avenue High all right. Opening week starts tomorrow. Look at that April eighth through the thirteenth, as we kick off our inaugural season at the Ballpark in America First Square in South Jordan. Who got a bunch of giveaways We're going to tell you about over the next hour. Because my friends, my dear friend who I've worked with for a number of different years at a number of different places, on a number of different games and projects. So on the mic, good coworker, off the mike, dear friend, Tony Parks live in studio. Hello, my friend, how are you?
Speaker 7: I'm great, man, I'm great. Just got back from Albuquerque. Had the old nine game roadie. All right, it's a good time, you know, you know, there's nothing like just waking up every day and going to a baseball like that was the dream from the time I was so little and live that once again. Just a taste of that again. This year is just awesome, man, just love it so. But now we have the home opener. So now it's an entirely different sort of adrenaline excitement.
Speaker 1: So let's stay in this space. Let's do a little Bees obviously voice of the Bees taking over after our dear friend Steve Cloukey retired. May Steve, of course, rest in peace. We all loved Steve, and Tony is stepping into some sizable shoes and has done that now for quite some time. Tell us about the new ballpark. Let's talk to people that may still be disappointed that the Bees have left us here in downtown saw Lake. What are the new digs, like, Tom, They're fantastic.
Speaker 7: I mean, the players raved about the new clubhouse because they were there for a few days right there at media Day and all that. So a few days before they left on the road trip, they got to check out the clubhouse, which is major league size. They got to check out some of the amenities, which are major league gest so everything behind the scenes has a major league look and feel to it. Now the big thing is for the fean experience to be able to reach something like that too. Everything we're trying to do with our TV product, you know, to the limits that we possibly can find.
Speaker 1: Everything is about leveling up.
Speaker 7: And it's not hey, we want to try to look like no, no, no, it's the standard. And what was really cool is Steve Clokey had that standard and I had that standard down on the field for everything we had. Whether it was a bad sound system, it didn't matter. Everything we could control, we made sure to do it at that level. And so what fans can look forward to is now a ballpark with a better sound system again, now with better amenities, great neighborhood, all those different things that come with it. This isn't to be disrespectful to the old ballpark. That place will always be emotional to me. So when people say, well, is it kind of mixed feeling, He's like, well, no, I mean, it was a wonderful tribute to be a part of the last year at that ballpark and the first year at this ballpark. And what happens is just like any situation you've ever had if you're you know, moving out of a home that was personal to you and emotional to you and had memories and all of that, and you move to your new house and you go, well, that there, there's some reasons why we moved here, and we really enjoy this. So for those who are disappointed that the Bees moved to a different place, like, there are so many things about the experience there.
Speaker 1: I think you're gonna like.
Speaker 7: Where you say, Okay, I liked the old place too, and I like this one as well.
Speaker 1: This comes down to something extremely simplistic. We can reduce it to simply this, Tony, where do you live right right? Like that's people were going to react based off where they live. I live five minutes away from where we're broadcasting right now, So the fact that I was able to take tracks or head on down to the ballpark and be there within ten minutes is something I will miss. It just comes down to where you live. But it also comes down to progress. And we all understand what the Millers are trying to do with their big picture viewpoint. And you and I wor you still work for the Millers. I worked for them for seven years. I can speak to their professionalism. Steve Starks is a great friend and a mentor in a lot of ways, and huge. You know, is there anybody that cares more about doing good in our community than Gail? Probably not, right, So I understand the disappointment, but I think when you take a step back and understand the thirty thousand foot view of what the Miller Company is trying to do for our market with a project eventually bringing major League baseball here, even though you may not love it because you don't live close to the ballpark, it's probably a necessary step.
Speaker 7: They spent multiple decades as tenants to a place that was downtown or in the ballpark neighborhood, if you will, and they did a great job of being stewards in the community to that exact community, and by the way, they've still poured in great money to other areas of the community all over the state. So it's not a matter of them being cruel or selfish. It is simply a matter of Okay, now they own their own place that they purchased by the way, that they built, and that they have in a neighborhood that they like, and they're setting that up to obviously be something that would be their minor league team if a major league team ever happens to arrive.
Speaker 1: They have the stadium site ready.
Speaker 7: They have a number of other headaches that go on behind the scenes of a major league stadium and.
Speaker 1: What it takes and all that.
Speaker 7: I mean, the fact that they can this so low for two years, I mean, tip of your hat to that, because when the news came out, many of us at the ballpark at Smith's Ballpark at the time were shocked.
Speaker 1: We're like, this isn't some new development. This means people kept their.
Speaker 7: Trap shut for like two years on this, on all the developments behind it. Next thing you know, we're all standing there at a press conference and they've got shovels dug into the dirt and you're going, wait, this is serious.
Speaker 1: I actually was filling in that day.
Speaker 7: I want to say, I was filling in for Bill Riley in the middle of the day, and I came right from that to here thinking, oh my gosh, what did I just watch. Because Gail didn't step up and say we would like to have a team. Oh no, she was more than confident about the five tool player that Saltlake is on having what it takes, being what it takes, and being ready for the opportunity when it comes.
Speaker 1: So opening week, as far as the home opener starts tomorrow through the thirteenth. I would encourage you to go to SLBs dot com. They've got a great ticket deal that I just saw on the website. Tony. I've got the scripts so give giveaways include Pennett's t shirts, beanies more every night of the first home stands. You have any more specific you can fill in rally tals. You and I have all sorts of stuff coming up, man.
Speaker 7: I mean it's like the week to be there is opening week, and I understand it's going to be high demand.
Speaker 1: And oh boy, do I get the text messages now? Of course? Ay man, how season going. It's great. I don't have tickets, man, I'm sorry. There, it's high demand. It's part of the deal.
Speaker 7: I know, and I got it, and I'm not I don't blame them. I'm like, I'm sorry, man.
Speaker 1: You know what I started doing because, as you know, I've talked to you about this before. This has been part of my entire life, right like the call from the friend you haven't talked to in years. It's like, hey, h seven years man, And you know, I honestly have more respect for people to cut to the chase as opposed to like, dude, we should do lunch. Oh, by the way, do you have any jazz you don't want to do lunch? Okay? So I started a number of years ago, like if it was the Jazz, if it's the utes, if it's rsl IF. I get a friend and I'm using air quotes around friend that I haven't talked to in years, and he hits, yeah, like, hey, you got any hookups? I say, I copy the website and I text them the website Utah, youthes dot com, SLBs dot com. But yes, I mean, folks are excited, right the buzz is.
Speaker 7: They should be. They absolutely should be. The hard part is yeah, I mean it's such high demand.
Speaker 1: I mean, and it should be. I mean it's a brand new ball part. Yeah. Uh.
Speaker 7: The especially for the premium seating and all the suites and things like that. For people who experience that, I mean, I mean, it's another level. The suitets behind the home plate are closer uh to the plate than the mount so you're closer to the batter than the picture is.
Speaker 1: It's amazing, like the the amenities and.
Speaker 7: The top level uh sort of experience that that the fans are going to be in for for this I mean I've been in all these meetings, not that I've been dictating any of this, but overhearing the discussions and the fine details that these people are getting into, down to the very like, down to the very smallest detail to ensure that people traffic flow moves well, not just traffic flow of cars, but how do we make sure that people traffic flow moves really smoothly through here. How do we know that if somebody's confused, they can immediately identify someone that can help him right away, like within twelve feet. I mean, they get into the fine details of this. It's been awesome, uh, to kind of watch that process. I know it's not doesn't sound like the most exciting thing, but as you think about it from a fan experience, and I know I'm going to be in the booth, but the fan experience still means a lot to me.
Speaker 1: I worked in fan experience for a long time.
Speaker 7: You know, we had so many restrictions based on so many other details that we couldn't control. Now we can, and I think that that part is going to be awesome. Not to mention everybody who's put together the entertainment that that this is going to be a part of this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, NYC is be consultant. No, I'm just kidding out of that. He is. He is in the ranks where he should be able to consolet across the country when people are looking, you know, for entertainment too. That's my guy, I know, it is. I know. But the storm you caused, my guys. I just love that he had the nerve to call himself any and he did a heck of a job. Yeah, viny sees allegend.
Speaker 7: And then from Brecken Johnson to Katie Brotherson, I mean, Ashley Javeli, Kitn Brown to Sandy Miller and they the work they've put in to put on a great show.
Speaker 1: I'm excited to see what they are so again, check out SLBs dot com for more info. Opening Opening Week starts tomorrow. It is the new ballpark at America First Square in South Jordan. Fireworks and Drone Knights throughout the season, Brunch every Sunday game. Yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 7: And now the games are noon on Sunday. Oh that's the brunch time. Our bark in the park for nine games. You can bring your dog to the game. They're gonna do a Superman night, Cowboy theme weekend. So yes, they have left us in the Capital City to go go support them if you can.
Speaker 1: All right, Tony, let's learn about the team a little bit. I can anecdotally. It was twenty twelve and you and I were with our old station back in back in the day, and it was it was announced that Gordon and I were going to be doing a number of shows at the ballpark in preparation for opening week. And so I go to the ballpark and I grab our guy Clouks, I grab Steve and I say, hey, who should I interview? I don't know any of these players, so I'm not grinding on minor league baseball to this one. And Steve says to me and he points this way. Steve points this way. He said, there's a player over there named Mike Trout. Go interview him today because he's leaving next week and he will never come back. Ironically enough, he came back for a rehab assignment. But you get the deal, Like Steve knew that Mike was generational. I'm not saying, is there a Mike Trout on this roster? But you know, field players, pitchers, batters, who are some names to watch out for for the Bees this year.
Speaker 7: Well, I mean right now, Zach Netto had the assignment there with the Bees, which was awesome. I thought he played really well in Albuquerque. But you know, there's a number of guys that I'm you know, really excited about, you know, their future right around the corner with some of the excitement. Gustavo Campero is a guy that had some time in the Bigs last year, left fielder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's exciting, man.
Speaker 7: He is just you love those guys that show up to the ballpark with this big smile and this big energy and you know it's a child's game and you want to see.
Speaker 1: Them play it with the kids loving their heart. It's that guy. The other guy I really like his Bryce Tiodosio. He was a kind of a fan favorite last year.
Speaker 7: Comes in five total triples in his college and professional career, comes out leads the PCL with twelve of them.
Speaker 1: Forty stolen bases, stole twenty six in a row.
Speaker 7: I mean, just kind of every minute, it feels like he's getting better and better and better. He stole home in a day game that we had last week in Albuquerque. The heads up tag up to get the second and help get a big insurance run. Like, if you love good heads up baseball, this team is really fun to watch.
Speaker 1: They're really smart.
Speaker 7: Yomer Sanchez, you know, he's a gold glover with the White Sox. This dude made a big time play, made two or three of them yesterday defensively that I thought proved to be big. Sebastian Rivero is a really smart catcher. Deeke the guy just standing there like a statue and then swipe tag them real quick. I mean, just when you get into the If you're a big hardcore baseball fan, you're gonna love this group because you can see them get into the fine, fine millimeters that make the difference between winning and losing.
Speaker 1: So it's fun.
Speaker 7: Breent Carey is a picture I think is a guy that fans would like to you know, the minor.
Speaker 1: League baseball ecosystem and culture has always fascinated me. And I talk about this in the world of professional golf as it's augusta week at the Masters, and if you're not a big golf fan, and I've become a big golf fan over the past four or five years, and I'm obsessed with trying to get better at it. I really enjoy playing. But you know, you hear the name of a dude that wins the tournament and you're like, I've never heard of this guy before. He must have just started playing pro golf last week, right, And then you read about him, it's like this is his one hundred and eightieth start on the PGA Tour. He was a corn fairy guy. He's been on the tour for fifteen years, and he actually finally broke through. And I had an experience with my friend's brother. His name is Adam Rosales. Adam toiled in the minor leagues for like a decade. Yeah, I remember, And Adam was the type of guy where it's like I think a lot of people just would have quit, because literally for nine or ten years he was with Sacramento and he would come into town and we go watch and play against the bs. And as he entered his like late twenties, early thirties, we're kind of like, all right, Adam's just going to be a minor league play in a triple league baseball, which is great. You know, that's an amazing level to get to. He eventually got a bunch of call ups and spent about six or seven years playing in the majors. But if you were only a fan of like the A's when they called at him up or Arizona when they got him, You're like, oh, he must be a young No. He toiled for like a decade before he got his major league baseball called what kind of in your experience? What kind of people are these players that are continuing to toil in the minors with the hope that at one day you get a you know, a moonlight gram field of dreams one at bad You know, what's it like? Kind of getting to know these guys, that's who our manager is. I mean Keith Johnson had that.
Speaker 7: I want to say he had four abs at the major league level, spent a lot of years in that game.
Speaker 1: That is wild, you know.
Speaker 7: And he was not staying at the Kimpton next to the Golden One Center in Sacramento, right, He was not staying at the Red Rock five Star casino next to a brand new ballpark in Vegas.
Speaker 1: I mean he was staying at Lakina's.
Speaker 7: And yeah, I mean ye noicee oh yeah, Like that was a part of the pretteem problem for sure.
Speaker 1: Like this dude was, you.
Speaker 7: Know, taking the bus from I don't know exactly where, let's say Salt Lake to Reno rather than the flight.
Speaker 1: Now, I mean they're the amenities are totally different.
Speaker 7: This dude doesn't have to tell people his story. They just feel it from him. And nobody wants them to win more than he does. And he gets it, man like.
Speaker 1: He just so.
Speaker 7: These dudes are guys that, yeah, they're hungry for it. They're honest, and they're very humble, hungry, honest, humble.
Speaker 1: He was talking with Chase Still the other day.
Speaker 7: He was the first guy from the twenty one class to make it to the major leagues. Was back last year after an elbow injury, finally got himself back to premier level e RA at zero point eighty seven.
Speaker 1: I mean, moving on the pitches, you can feel it. He's coming back.
Speaker 7: All of a sudden, the elbow goes out and he's got surgery and he's done for the year.
Speaker 1: So he comes back and I see him last week. He's in New Mexico.
Speaker 7: Native dude goes out there, two errors in the first inning behind him, wheels are wobbling everywhere. He tightens it up, minimizes the damage, gives up one earn gets the win. And he talked about no, I hired a you know, mental performance coach. I did this all this. They're big on self examination and they're competitive. I mean, these dudes, you know, we forget, man. We see these guys out there and they're tall and they're big, and they're you know, they they've got you know, great build and they're good athletes, and we forget, man, these dudes from the time that they were holding a you know, a foam bat, this was the biggest dream they ever had.
Speaker 1: And it's real, man.
Speaker 7: And there's a big difference between two commas and your paycheck and one and they it's just everything about it.
Speaker 1: It's so much more about you know.
Speaker 7: I mean, we know about the money and the amenities, but the personal pride to get there, and so they really want to find tune their game. The other thing I'll say about these guys is every inch matters. I mean, watching Bryce Tiodosio during batting practice in the outfield, you can see him with the reps, the mental reps. I mean, he's standing there working on a first move. Nobody's hit the ball and he's just visualizing it and then all of a sudden in the game. You see him chase a ball to the corner and leap into the sidewall make an amazing catch, and you're like, Okay, the millimeters to.
Speaker 1: Make that play is how that happened?
Speaker 7: Yeah, and he thought he robb It looked like he robbed a home run. I watched him time himself out, look like he robbed the home run last week, and actually the contact with the wall jarreted out. But you could see these things are everything to them.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a love it. Yeah, it's it's such an interesting life lesson. It really is, because we as the you know, just the just the consuming public, as people that watch games or go to games, or if you watch movies or if you listen to music, like you learn about the band, you learn about the athlete, you learn about the actor, and then because you have no frame of reference for who they are, you're like, oh, this must be their first album, and then you read about like, no, they've dropped fifteen albums since two thousand and three. They're just becoming famous twenty years twenty two years later because they continue to toil. And I just think it would be so easy. And you do see a lot of minor league baseball players hang it up because they don't feel like they're ever gonna get that shot. And the drive to keep working all for that one moment is always something that I just respect so much.
Speaker 7: Oh it is so because the thing I love about baseball is it's an everyday game.
Speaker 1: It's an every day game sometimes people.
Speaker 7: I mean, we worked in the NBA and there was a good friend of ours that said to us after a postgame show one days, like, that's the thing is.
Speaker 1: Like you have a game every day. And I'm like, yeah, that's the beauty this thing.
Speaker 7: If it doesn't go well, we got one tomorrow, it's good news. If it does go well, hey, let's do it again tomorrow. Like it's it's all about like recommitting yourself every day to being the best version of yourself that you can be. It's never just another game, it's never just another inning. It's never just another ab And I love that about the work that they put in. And honestly, it's it when you're around that it impacts you for sure. It impacts you the way you work out, It impacts you in your relationships, like you think of different ways to create the proper alignment in every part of your life.
Speaker 1: These dudes are champions, man.
Speaker 7: I mean, I I don't know if they'll I mean, we got a guy that was the winning pitcher in Game six of the World Series in twenty twenty, you know, the Victor and Gonzales.
Speaker 1: We have dudes that want gold gloves. We have guys that did some incredible stuff.
Speaker 7: And you're thinking, man, somebody may not remember that, but let me tell you the people that do and the people that know you know you're a champion, dude.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's interesting, and we'll catch a break real quick, Like how many years did Steve do it? How many games? Twenty nine years? He was over four thousand, four thousand games. And I would go to other markets and I'd just be driving around in my rental car and I'd turn on a baseball game. I'd beg, Steve's better than this guy. Yeah right, And but you know, to do something for twenty nine years, over four thousand games, and it's the same thing as a player. I'm sure Steve if his phone rang one day and it was the Dodgers or something, that's a bad example because they had Vin scull or whatever. But if that's a Major League Baseball call up for an announcer, your life change is the same way a player does. It's kind of the same dynamic. You know.
Speaker 7: You just respect the fact that you keep going even when the call doesn't come. I think Steve had I forget a handful of call ups like he and some with the Angels. He did something with the Blue Jays, and you know, and he had different series that he covered, and I was so happy for him, and you know, you couldn't help it to be ever, that's like a call up for him.
Speaker 1: It was only thirty of those spots.
Speaker 7: And so that guy brought it every single day, even after he knew it was very unlikely it was ever gonna happen. Yeah, and he still brought every single Nobody brought it like he didn't.
Speaker 1: That's a real lesson. That's why with this job, I told people it's personal. You know.
Speaker 7: People are trying to say like, it's never personally, Yes, it is. This one's personal because of the connection I had with him, the connection I had with the team, the connection I had with individual people, my family history and how it weaved into it. And there's a responsibility with that job not just to be great at and perform well, but it's everything behind the scenes, the cultural part, the camaraderie part, the leadership part.
Speaker 1: It's you. You bring it every day.
Speaker 7: And so Keith Johnson, the manager of the team, and I have talked a bit about that too, because he was around Steve a lot, and around Steve is a player, he's around Steve is a manager, and it's like, yeah, No, he brought it every day and I'm gonna do that too. Yeah, and we'll bring it differently, but there's a standard there and I love that Steve had it and I'm honored to follow into it.
Speaker 1: Soal League Bees have a new hive opening week. It's rolling tomorrow through the thirteenth. It's the inaugural season at the ballpark at America First Square in South Jordan. Every game is gonna have giveaways you just kind of outlined, So check out SLBs dot com for more information. More with Tony coming up next with six Gears, we'll do a little bit on the local scene, maybe some college basketball and football, maybe some jazz stuff. Tony Parks is live in studio, the voice of the Salt Lake Bees, and a number of other things. Anybody doesn't like Tom Penny, I don't know that would be tough. He's like vanilla ice cream. I mean you kind of everyone likes the scoop of vanell ice cream sometimes, right, exactly, many rest in peace.
Speaker 7: He may not be your fave, but I've never heard anybody who's like, oh, Tom Petty sucks.
Speaker 1: Tom Petty has some incredible album, some incredible songs. And for a guy that kind of had a monotone voice without a lot of range, gotta give him a lot of credit. I do, for sure, for sure, for sure, outside of being the voice of the Salt Lake Bees, you wear several different hats. What's the latest? I can't keep up with all your jobs. What are you doing now?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 7: I finished up with all the college basketball stuff with ESPN.
Speaker 1: Loved it.
Speaker 7: Conference tournament was awesome. Did the Big Sky again this year? Had you know a good number of games on ESPN two and ESPNU and you know Joe Cravens, and I just once again that there's nothing like having a great teammate. He's an outstanding teammate. He's a really unselfish player. You as a broadcast team, and I mean you worked with Gordon for all those years. You guys really built something great where there was there was a great camaraderie.
Speaker 1: I think the listener always really appreciated it. I know I did.
Speaker 7: The bizarre left field humor of Cordon was outstanding. Joe Cravens has that, I mean just has it, man, and so he would always have ways to make fun of me. That was just perfect right touch. You know, Tony, I I'm on't you. You know when I was hard on my players, that was yeah, it was tough love, but they knew I loved him. Now with you, it's just it's tough. You know.
Speaker 1: He just always have.
Speaker 7: These little things that were fun, and so he doesn't take himself so seriously. And then people would say, well, you're the are you like the Bill Walton. No, that dude is prepped and loved Bill prepped. And the inside of the game was great and the humor, yeah, so I did a ton of that. It was a blast in some utes games as well Utes women's games throughout the year on ESPN Plus. So really had a great time with it man throughout the year. So the college basketball stuff was in the rearview mirror and then now just some production stuff all around, and then enjoying toddler life, right, little Sophie, how old self?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: She's seventeen months, seventeen months and she's fun You better enjoy it, dude. I know you're a blank and they're gone. She's just a blast man. Connor is turning twenty four in August, Like, yes, I have a twenty four year old sign in August, So you better enjoy it. I say it all the time, you know, it's funny. There's an intimacy to radio that's a little bit different than any other medium. It's one of the reasons I like it. You get a little bit of it with podcasting. But Chris Russol Mad Dog talks about this all the time, how the intimacy of live radio as a expression in the medium that it is. There's a more intimate connection to your audience because you are literally hearing me talk. This is not prepared I have notes, you know me, I do the work, but this is unscripted live communication where I'm talking into this microphone and wherever you're listening, it is coming through your radio and you're hearing exactly what I'm saying in real time. It's nothing like that. There's an intimacy to this thing. It's different. And people over the years has said, what is it like working with other people in radio? And I always say the same thing. If you get along with a person and if you have good chemistry, there's nothing better than doing that every day for four hours with somebody who you like and you get along with and you have mutual respect. There's nothing better than doing it with a good partner. And there's nothing worse than doing it day to day with somebody who you just want to strangle in the same studio. So yeah, I just whether it's Joe Craven's or whoever it is, you know, if you have the right partner, there's there's a magic and an intimacy to this medium that you don't get anywhere else. You really don't.
Speaker 7: I think you're spot on with that, and there's nothing like it. When the magic really hits, when it's there and the listener looks forward to it, it's another great episode. It's like a part of their daily routine and you feel that and you sense that, and I've had that before and there's nothing like it.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 7: I had a show that lasted what almost ten years, and that's.
Speaker 1: What we had.
Speaker 7: It was really, really great and having that is a part of the everyday thing. Then you look forward to going you know, you're not sure what's gonna happen, like a guy like Gordon.
Speaker 1: I mean the curve balls were incredible.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, yeah, asked frank Is Sola the question where he asked, or all they'll be hookers and.
Speaker 1: All the hookers I forgotten about whoa I forget it was, Yeah, you're talking about freak.
Speaker 7: I said, Oh, I wouldn't go to a Washington Wizards game unless you had a limo and this and that. You're like, yeah, yeah, yeah, you need a full dinner and this and that, and Gordion comes out of nowhere goes are there gonna be hookers?
Speaker 1: And just had a left field. I'm like we were talking about the Knicks or something and Gordon asked, if he's hiring hookers, Lrden, what are you doing it? But the way so there's two parts of this.
Speaker 7: The way you played off of so when people ask me like did you enjoy doing the impersonations and this and that, and I said, it depends on who I had with sure, and I had a coach who was terrific with it. You were outstanding. You were really really good at knowing how to play off of U because then it would keep it light, fun and moving. But I've been on the air, like I was on somewhere like North Carolina Stull.
Speaker 1: Lou Holtz and I was going and they full on.
Speaker 7: Correct me, like, hey, I coach, Yeah, just so you know that's actually North Carolina. I think you got that wrong. It's like, well where do we go now? Right, Like, so there's a there's a way to play off of one another. Joe has that ability as a basketball announcer. Gordon had that beautifully as as a co host, and I thought you did as well. And to your point, it becomes something the listener, like, it becomes a part of him. That's when and then also the authenticity starts to show more in the show host and the fun that goes in that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is that nothing that beats him? Yeah? And Gordon was such a great sport because I just used to crack him over the head, you know, and he would play because Gordon's a very sharp guy and he's a very good rider, and he's very good, very sharp guy. But he was a very good sport. Whenever I just crack on him over I forgot about the Isola thing. You know, it's funny because we I remember we were We did a lot of jazz preff and postgame shows in addition to working with each other day to day. And the CHOC stuff was like so good because I didn't know you had a good KOC before we started working. And for our listeners, KOC at the time was jazz executive Kevin O'Connor, not the ringer Rider or whoever that guy is. And Kevin had kind of phased himself out of the organization like Dennis Lindsay was kind of in. And I just remember like your KOC rants where you would quote like TLC waterfalls to puk and I would stop you, like, KOC, that's TLC. You can't use that. You know, you can't pretend like that's your own. You need to stop. And it made those late nights so much fun. You know, we had Britton who would fall off chairs and Jake would stop. I was those were fun days.
Speaker 7: They were great days, and I enjoyed it because it was it was lighthearted. The best part of the KOC one that was the only one where we got directed, Okay, you have to stop doing that, right and I was like, Okay, we make it pretty obvious it's not him, because I'd literally go, you know, we're gonna line up every possible draft pick we have him due to Krispy Kreme challenge and which you ever one come finish it and hit a three point?
Speaker 1: You know that's that's the guy that goes to the top of the draft board. Clearly not something is your voice sounds just like his? That was the issue we.
Speaker 7: Would get people in not in the league necessarily been in the market, Yeah, who would say like I heard him last night talking about this whole thing, and like how Tupac inspired.
Speaker 1: Him, right right, right right.
Speaker 7: And finally the organization had to say, look, man, we know it's funny, we know it's a spoof, but enough people are actually thinking Kevin O'Connor is coming on the postgame show ye talking about this.
Speaker 1: Just dropping random lyrics or talking about what he wants for Christmas, you know, just weird things like Nadies Walkman had said, yeah, so good whatever, Yeah.
Speaker 7: And it was so blatant, but it just it got to the point where they had to shut it down.
Speaker 1: It was fun though, you know it's funny because I've often thought about you know, I'll get people all the time like, hey, you're going to Jazz games this year? How many games have you been to? And I don't know if it was because we were at basically all of them for seven straight years. You know, with some exceptions here there. It's a it's a different ask to do that pre half in post game when they're bad. Like we started working together, I think it was Ty Corbyn's maybe Ties last year was my first year on the pre aff and Pels maybe tis first year. You did the luckout year. Okay, yeah, so the playoff year out yeah, yeah, And so you know, there was not a lot of hope with that team. And do respect to guys like Paul Millsap and Al Jefferson, they're just Kevin O'Connor did the best he could by parlaying the boozer, you know, Booze leaves for Chicago. The Jazz got a trade exception, so Kevin used it to get Al Jefferson. It was kind of like, let's put a band aid on this till we can figure something out, which they did with Hayward and Favors and that group started to go forward. But Ties last year Quinn's first year. Those were long nights. I mean it was tough to make that very interesting. I can't imagine what it's like trying to polish this turn.
Speaker 7: No, it is tough too because that team, at least they were trying to win.
Speaker 1: It was what's the next move? What are you trying to do? The hard part is it's clear what they're doing.
Speaker 7: The challenge is now that you know what they're doing, this has never really been a part of what the Jazz do, so then you have to be like, hey, this guy's looking good.
Speaker 1: Here, this is going well there?
Speaker 7: I mean trying to figure out like like to speak positively on it and then also be aware and cognizant of clearly what the organization's doing.
Speaker 1: I've said it before, love it, hate it.
Speaker 7: They have a vision for long term future success like the Celtics just had last year.
Speaker 1: This was the start of it.
Speaker 7: What was fun about those nights and what made it really special was the people that we would have and listeners who were part of a team that didn't win a ton and you know, you weren't sure exactly what was going on.
Speaker 1: They had a lot of fun listening to Koc.
Speaker 7: There was nothing funnier than the authentic human element version of Britton Johnson. When he would randomly be like, yeah, you'd ask him something, he'd go in the mic and they'd be like, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think I think, wait, are we on air? Yeah? Right now? Yes, talking to that microphone on air right now?
Speaker 7: And we have been because he would sit there and watch TV yeah and blank out, and then you would ask him something and he's.
Speaker 1: Like, well, I don't know, well hold on, are we on air?
Speaker 7: And you're like like those moments like he was so intentionally not intentionally funny, then it gave it a human element to the whole thing. And the one time, I mean I had several moments with him where I'm like, yeah, the breaking news, you know this and that the other Derek Favors is going to play tonight.
Speaker 1: He's back. You know, I said, the ankle feels good.
Speaker 7: Whatever it is, you know, alongside Britton Johnson and Tony Parks Britain. You know we have this, we have this, we have that, and it's the Jazz and Calves. You're on a you know, Saturday night. He goes, yeah, no, it's interesting. Now do we know if Favors is playing or I'm like, well, I just announced the breaking news.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, he would get distracted, kind of like that dogging up that saw squirrels. Because I could, on a number of occasions, like you just outlined, I would kind of bring us back in. I would set the scene, Heyward, this whatever, and then i'd ask him a question. He'd be like, I forgot what you asked me. He just just completely forgot the entire thing. And of course when he fell off his chair and we had the audio and I just plowed right you did. It was quintessential you. It was quintessential Jake. Jake's laughing, you're the pro that just and Britt and his six' ten six eleven frames sprawled. Out it was. Fun but you, know it's it's just it's a tough Ask tony as far as what they're doing this. Year and AS i say all the, time AND i get some flat from some of the guys down, there the dude listen to some of the stuff we. Do it just. Sucks it's such a tough. Ask, now As i've been saying all, year it's probably the right course of action based off of their failure to see exactly how they needed to handle this when they Traded bear and when they Traded. Mitchell like this whole narrative they've tried to further over the past few, weeks, like, hey we haven't been rebuilding because we've been tearing down for three. Years i'm, like who is buying. That you started rebuilding when you Traded donovan and you Traded rudy and a really smart head coach didn't want to work for, you and a really smart general manager decided he was done. Too that's the. Rebuild that's when it. Starts if you took three years to tear it, down you did it. Wrong so they're finally doing it. Right it's just really, hard you know, Me i'll watch basketball at three. Am, yeah BUT i this is a tough one stomach to watching. Them this year has been really, DIFFICULT i think this. One and that's Why i've told the.
Speaker 7: Fans if you're the person who, says, Look i'm not going to spend my money until you get serious about moving, upward that doesn't make you, arrogant doesn't make you, selfish doesn't mean you're a bad, fan doesn't mean that you know, well don't.
Speaker 1: Come around when this team starts.
Speaker 7: Winning, Well, no this is a, business and this is about money for.
Speaker 1: You it's about money for.
Speaker 7: Me If i'm a, fan you, know AND i. Have WHEN i was In, chicago we were the same. Way we talked, About, okay The bears do, this they're dysfunctional, here but you, know you're going to the games and you're spending the money and you're this and, that AND i, thought.
Speaker 1: Right and if you, don't it doesn't make you less of a. Fan for.
Speaker 7: Sure when the McCaskey family just completely botches everything they're. Doing so When i'm watching what's happening, Here i'm, like, no, no in anyway you make the. Decision this is really unfamiliar territory because even when The jazz weren't, good you were, Like, okay here's what they're trying to, do here's what they could be. Doing, Okay quinn's first, year you remember they finished what sixteen and seven their last twenty three games something like, that and you're, like, wow they BEAT i remember they beat Like Tony parker in The spurs one, night Beat Russell westbrook AND okc and they had like this stretch of winning where you're, going, man they're winning With Bryce cotton And Chris johnson And.
Speaker 1: Jack what was that dude's. Name, oh it's gonna drive Me Jack. Jack he's a big, center Big Notre dame. Kid ah.
Speaker 7: Man he was like a fan favorite for fifteen. Minutes Andy Jack, Cooley Jack. Cooley, yeah, yeah the winning games with you, know, yeah just a bunch of dudes out.
Speaker 1: There you'd See quinn had some. Juice it was.
Speaker 7: Outstanding so you're, Like, okay there's a, future it's right around the corner with.
Speaker 1: This. Yeah, no it's. Tough it's tough because now.
Speaker 7: You're waiting for a draft pick to be a, splash to win some, headlines to do.
Speaker 1: This you know.
Speaker 7: WHAT i was in agreement with The Rudy donovan thing BECAUSE i just felt like they were so far out of alignment that there was a trust issue altogether somewhere there and you should start over. ANEW i did not think they would be quite in this position three.
Speaker 1: YEARS i really.
Speaker 7: DIDN'T i REALLY i THOUGHT i, one maybe, two and then you have all the assets and enough to work with that you could move up in drafts and you can have the culture of defensive mindset and going forward with the principles kind of Like quinn, did where you start to see an upward.
Speaker 1: Search So i'll always, wonder and this is just simply anecdotal. Hypothetical it's not, real it doesn't, matter but all always wonder If danny decided to do The donovan deal and not The ruty. DEAL, a Does quinn? Stay? Okay and b what does that look? Like because if you do The mitchell deal and you bring in marketing and you get you, know four or five draft picks and swaps from from The calves and you get a bulk of draft capital that, way and you don't do the God bear, deal Does quinn? Stay Does dennis? Stay and the answer to both of those questions might be, no BECAUSE i just don't think they wanted to work for this new ownership. Group And i'll let them answer that in their own time and whatever way they prefer to do. It but if we play the hypothetical where you do The mitchell deal and you get marketing and you Keep, bogdanovich You Keith, Conley Royce. INGLES i mean at that Point joey was a little bit. Older he'd hurt his. Acl you, know we used to talk About royce like he Was Bruce bowen from nineteen ninety. Ninety he just WASN'T i don't know how BIG i was on, him but you get the, point, like so you Have, gobert you have, marketing you Have, bogdanovich you Have, conley you, know then the other bit pieces that you, have and then you utilize The mitchell trade to get the draft capital that you need to keep kind of building around the. EDGES i don't. KNOW i, mean that's probably still you, know nothing more than a top six or seven seed in The, West so it's not like there's a lot of upboard. Trajectory but based off of how bad it's been and how unwatchable they've been for three years, NOW i Think i'll always kind of wonder what that looked. Like if they Trade donovan and then Keep, gobert then you Give donovan what he wants clearly clearly clearly didn't want to be here. Anymore you keep a guy that's still really good that wanted to be, here And, rudy and then you figure out ways to kind of supplement that, group and your bulk would Be, gobert Market, In, Conley. Bogdanovitch it's not a championship, team but it's not THIS i think it gives the fans at least something hold on. To, Okay, so AND i don't think you were entirely wrong that my person is this perception based on you, know other people that you get to know and talk, to AND i Know jeff talk to a number as. Well my perception is the reason they moved both is because whatever the issue, was.
Speaker 7: Each of them had a problem in this the trust issue that. Exists there's no way you can look at that roster and how they underperformed and say that there wasn't a trust. Issue clearly there was something that was not. Wrong they had no business being that bad defensively at, times being a one.
Speaker 1: And done in THE nba.
Speaker 7: PLAYOFFS i, mean they were built with a Defensive player of the, year budding, Superstar All star point, guard a guy that'd been To game, six man of the.
Speaker 1: YEAR i, mean come, on, man some a dead eye.
Speaker 7: SHOOTER i, mean you're looking at real weapons, here and they it wasn't gonna. Work so my thought was when they traded, BOTH i thought it was a good move because whatever the issues, were say with one of, them like each of them had their. Faults if you move, one keep the other the other is always going to feel but their part.
Speaker 1: Of this issue was not a.
Speaker 7: Problem it's going to be impossible to convince them, that yes we moved, them yes we kept, You yes we want, you yes we believe in, you but you still got to change. This this was toxic or this was, bad or this was hurtful to the. Team you are never going to convince them of that because the results of the situation they, stayed the other guy was, gone and the perception is that guy was the, problem not.
Speaker 1: Me the reality is each of.
Speaker 7: You more than likely contributed to this issue that even A hall Of fame caliber coach in my, opinion which IS i think What quinn is, Like he's a.
Speaker 1: Mastermind i'm a huge fan of.
Speaker 7: Him that was the WAY i looked at it was that if you kept, one it would be impossible to convince them to get rid of the part that was a part of the to get for them to get rid of the problem issue that they contributed.
Speaker 1: TO i get what you're, saying AND i think ULTIMATELY i under understand why they landed on the decision to move on from both of, THEM i do, think and the timing here is interesting AS i think back on. IT i think When quinn said to, Them i'm not doing. This you, know it was always interesting to me that dog And pony show they had where the, post you, know the press conference when they were announcing That quinn was, leaving how he just thanked The millers profusely and walked over to them profusely and gave them like that Was quinn's chance to Give gail her flowers and The Miller miller's her. Flowers if you go back and listen to that and watch, it he didn't say anything About, danny didn't say anything About. RYAN i think when the ownership transition, changed AND i have some insight On quinn running practices and folks from the new ownership group showing up and kind of announcing their arrival at, practices and how this was going to be the new normal that even before the season was, Over Quinn's i'm not interested in this, right wrong and. Different i'm not interested in, This. Okay ryan and his group have a different approach than The miller's hat and only time will tell to see if his approach is actually going to. Work at some, POINT i think it's only fair to say that the approach right now has bred bad, results AND i think it's bred some Awkward jersey announcements and things around the periphial and certainly things behind closed doors THAT i do know about That i'll choose to keep to. Myself AND i do understand why ultimately they did land on the decision to move on from. Both LIKE i, SAID i think the quing call That i'm out expedited their decision making to break the whole thing. Down here's my, issue that's when you broke things, down not. Now don't sell to the fan base that it's it's taken us three years to break it. Down. Now one didn't and that's on you if it, did because what you're, saying because you always have to translate between the lines to get to the, truth what you're saying is you did a bad job initially of deciding on a direction because you know where no man's land is in THE, nba right in the, middle and that's the group they Had will's first. Year then they decided to break it down In, february and in a, way it was kind of the group they had year. Two and then they break it down after the deadline so they can maintain their draft. Capital that is a series of bad. Decisions when you're running a basketball team in THE, nba you either go all, in, okay or you're all out so you can rebuild. QUICKER i think they essentially wasted two and a half. Years that's my.
Speaker 7: Opinion that's WHY i Wanted AND i don't even Know Will hardy all that, well But i'm a huge. Fan i've watched him, Work i've been up close to see him at, work AND.
Speaker 1: I really like.
Speaker 7: HIM i really really like, Him and that's WHY i thought he should beginning an, extension because he overperformed and then you tore it, down overperformed, again tore it. Down now there's this future of when are you going to start accelerating winning at a high. LEVEL i don't want him in the situation where you, know he now has to turn from forty four point third quarters in the blink of an eye and forty eight point you, know.
Speaker 1: Dashing defensive issues and stuff like.
Speaker 7: That it's hard to get people to hold themselves accountable on that end of the floor if they can clearly see what's going, on and if you think they're, agents.
Speaker 1: Like, hey get in there and take a, charge prove your, worth you're.
Speaker 7: Wrong, no protect, yourself be, careful put, it put the ball in the, basket you, know increase your worth and stay. Healthy so it's really hard now to, Go, okay, guys.
Speaker 1: We're gonna start. Winning, now it's time to start digging in deep. Culture. Culture.
Speaker 7: Culture, no, no because you have no base for, That like what's the jazz?
Speaker 1: Culture what is you taugh jazz? Culture right? Now it is undefined and it is work in.
Speaker 7: Progress even when this team wasn't that good twenty six wins or you know whatever it was in the year you AND i were doing it where they didn't win much with The Jamal tinsley and.
Speaker 1: Company when he said they're gonna shock the world Was John lucas three ever shock in the, word like we're gonna come, Out we're gonna shock the. World AND i was, like, no you're. Not you might win thirty, games nobody's getting.
Speaker 7: Shocked, Okay but but you AND i were talking about that back. Then but there was at least, okay there's a culture, here there's an, identity there's some, definition there's some direction to this situation, here it's not.
Speaker 1: There that's WHY i Wanted hardy to have an.
Speaker 7: Extension let's you in my, opinion they owe it to him to be fair to him with a long term. Vision so when you start to cycle that, way he gets some time to weed out some more of that to get them to where they ultimately want to go.
Speaker 1: Heart, mind and soul in the proper. Line AND i share your optimism About, WILL i really. Do and it's not just because of What i've seen since he's been. Here it's Conversations i've had with people that have known him for, years like he coached With Jeff Van GUNDY usa. Basketball Will hardy could get a job in pro basketball tomorrow if he decided to leave The. Jazz my fear is because, Look, tony if you look around at The west right, now it is so freaking. Stacked it's not just at the. TOP i, Mean Oklahoma city is, good and they're, young and they've got a grip of draft. Capital they're gonna be awesome. Forever the fact of the matter is The jazz are not A cooper flag away from being even close to fine in this. Conference the fact of the matter is they are a marathon away of being back to where we're used to seeing them more often than, not which is at least competitive in The Western conference landscape and offering fans hope as some of their young players. Develop my fear is if they can't get something done this offseason and next year looks like this year because they want the thebansa kid or one of The boozer twins or, whatever and then we're dealing with the same thing next. Offseason if that doesn't breed tremendous talent for will to work, with what does he do after five years here walking into gym's to have a gunfight when he's got a switchblade in his back. Pocket he simply can not keep up with his peers in the coaching world because he doesn't have. Players what does he do a five years past and they haven't given him. Talent that's a great.
Speaker 7: POINT i had this conversation with a family member the other. DAY i, said, look it worked In. BOSTON i got. It it took twelve. Years by the, way it took twelve, years it was long.
Speaker 1: TERM i got.
Speaker 7: THAT i understand it was four years and not a lot. Happening but then they had the draft picks that they, had multiple that they landed on with dudes who started to. Emerge but they were in maybe it was the fourth. Year Maybe i'm wrong it was the fourth or fifth. Year they're in the second round of the playoffs IF i remember, Right like they're actually like competing really. Well you could see, direction you could see and you, know it took a lot of. Patience it. Worked it was a long term. Plan blah blah.
Speaker 1: Blah there's also the chance of this that it doesn't. Work and if it, doesn't, man you're The wizards of The, WEST i mean The Washington wizards of The Western conference And Larry market and Is Bradley.
Speaker 7: Beal really sucks because this fan base HAS i got.
Speaker 1: It they didn't win a.
Speaker 7: Championship they put together a great formula to put themselves on the. DOORSTEP i Thought Dennis lindsay did a great job to put together the. FORMULA a top flight coach cornerstone pieces, right you, had you could see.
Speaker 1: It and what happened is the leadership of those.
Speaker 7: GUYS i know they were not stocking them alone, necessarily but your key cornerstone. Pieces there were issues there was stocking them alone that were not to that. Level, okay, well some of those things are out of your control when you're A, gm all, Right so there's a different way to. Go, well they flushed all the way out and said we're going to do this totally. DIFFERENT i, Thought, OKAY i respect, that but you're gambling on the fact that you're going to be right with. This, yep and you've got the, assets you got, this you got all these wonderful.
Speaker 1: THINGS i got.
Speaker 7: It but, yeah hearing that was one of those Where i'm, Like, okay there's no promise this thing's gonna work.
Speaker 1: Either, no it's predicated on a lot of. Luck, like that's a tough plan to sell to a fan. Base now if the luck falls into, Place and again to your, point which is well taken and founded in, information in, fact we all understand that this is a long game. Play the problem is you didn't start the long game three years ago when you traded a twenty five year old in his prime and a twenty eight year old still very effective. Defensively that's a massive risk for a team that plays in Saut lake to move on from. Pieces do we all understand why they did, It, yes, yes but it was the failure to implement the plan immediately and then treading water and then now you're doing, it AND i just have to wonder if we would see more traction in a positive direction if they actually started the plan three years ago when they traded away their clutterstone.
Speaker 7: Exactly because the one THING i thought we would see by this time identity.
Speaker 1: Culture clear. Mindset there's a clear feel.
Speaker 7: Vibe, okay this, player he may not be A hall Of, famer but he represents the, mindset the attitude what we're looking.
Speaker 1: For you can feel that in the locker.
Speaker 7: Room you can sense that there instead Of, wow this is a great stretch of play for this.
Speaker 1: Guy, here he's, young he's, this he's. Young he's. Young he's. Young that's.
Speaker 7: Great and there's flashes and there's, moments And i'm not saying that it's all, negative BUT i still don't see clear cut identity.
Speaker 1: Culture AND i did think we'd see that by.
Speaker 7: Now i'm not saying they can't find And i'm not saying this plan isn't gonna, work But i'm not gonna, say, well look What boston, did copy paste here we.
Speaker 1: Go Oh, no there's no promise for.
Speaker 7: That, no there's not at all no promise for, that Because philadelphia did this, forever AND i get it that they've had some threatening years and things like. That but, man this this thing where they at right now during this, uh there's time a year teen and sixty. Three right now they're twenty three and fifty.
Speaker 1: Five philly is Oh, Philly, yeah, yeah The jazz are sixteen and sixty.
Speaker 7: Three and again we know twenty three and the fifth of remember with the embide, stuff and they flattened out for a long. Time they didn't win a ring in this and right now they've got all sorts of. Disasters so it does have to come together just. Right it does take a long, time and there's no guarantee it's gonna work.
Speaker 1: Well and there was a generationally special player available In Victor wimnyama three years ago after they decided to move Off mitchell And gobert a couple of years, ago and they they had this team that was middling and staying competitive in winning games and to what. End and somebody over there, said, well we were trying to, tank but our coach is too, Good AND i, said who coaches The? Spurs like what are you talking? About The spurs traded away a twenty five year Old All star two And Dejonte murray and a bunch of other pieces because they knew that this kid In france could change their entire. Organization so WHEN i was fed the line like our coach is too, good we can't, Tank like who coaches The? Spurs what are you talking? About, like we'll end it. There but, ultimately this is a test of a pain tolerance for a basketball market that simply is used to seeing at least a team that shows they're moving in the right. Direction AND i can't lie to, listeners AND i, can't you, know tell you That Isaiah colliers, this or can't To george's that or. WHAT i honestly don't. KNOW i have question marks about pretty much every player on the. Roster AND i do feel like they have a, really really good, coach BUT i am a little bit nervous to see what he does if they can't give him. Talent all, Right, Tony i'm taking up too much of your. Time BEFORE i set you, Loose let's hit the bees stuff one more. Time SLBs dot com for tickets opening not opening, day but the home opener is. Tomorrow and so tell our listeners what you want to. Know, WELL i want you to know.
Speaker 7: That you're you're gonna get a terrific experience when you go, there everything's leveled up in every single.
Speaker 1: Way that's what's.
Speaker 7: Happening and you know WHAT i think is really cool, too is Tonight Jeff reeves being honored there with The Utah Sports hall Of.
Speaker 1: Fame i'm headed over to. That you're going to that tonight, too, right my head, basketball my high school basketball, coach head, Coach Mike maxwell's being inducted, tonight so we'll be over.
Speaker 7: There that Former Bountiful brave head Coach highland Ram, Alum i'm.
Speaker 1: Correct And. Tony as you, know historians often say that the nineteen ninety Seven Bountiful braves the greatest high school. Basketball, NOW i don't say. THAT i know one. HISTORIAN i don't. KNOW i want to be, clear BUT i don't say. That but people who study it know the numbers and break down. Analytics they often say THAT i don't think they had the. Depth that guy doesn't have enough good players coming off the. Bench that FAIR i know one of. Them i'm excited to catch up with our. Teammates it's gonna be really.
Speaker 7: Cool but, no With jeff being honored for, that and then look when the fans go, there you're gonna love.
Speaker 1: It because now it's a it's a new, experience it's a new.
Speaker 7: Standard all of that is going to be top, shelf top, level And i'm excited, for you, know something that's, new something that's. Historic now remember it's not just historic because you're going to this minor league stadium that's. New but there's the anticipation Of Major League baseball being in the, future being a part of what's going. On love what the organization is doing in terms of their their fast forward vision on doing everything that it takes in their control to be in the very best possible position for something like this to happen. Someday how long would it take for it TO i will never, know because there's a ton of dominoes that. Fall but you, know there's those who, say, boy this would be, nice and then there's those who put so many things into action to say we are more serious than, anybody and we're willing to invest what it. Takes AND i think that's been fun about this. Offseason i've worked for a minor league baseball team for a long. Time this doesn't feel LIKE i work for a minor league baseball. Team that's excellent with the way they invest in what they're. Doing it's always what is major league caliber? Level what does it take to get?
Speaker 1: There do? It And i'm, like, wow love. It this is.
Speaker 7: Great we'll be on CAM yu tomorrow night if you if you can't make it out to the, game we'll be ON camyu AND kJ as a series of thirty eight different games this.
Speaker 1: Year very.
Speaker 7: Nice so we talk, about you, know not being able to make it. Out we hope you enjoyed the. Broadcast we know a lot of people in this market love baseball And i'm happy to be a part of.
Speaker 1: IT SLBs dot com from More. Info they've got a great ticket deal going on right. Now the weather looks great for opening, week which is always. Good, tony my my. Friend great to. See, Okay, hey thanks you as. Well, man you look, Good thank you. Sir All. Right college basketball is going to crown their national champ. Tonight Florida Gators Houston cougar's coming up six Fifty Mountain time ON cbs at The alamodome In San. Antonio you, KNOW i have not done my. Diet my yearly diet tribe on the silliness of playing basketball in a football. Arena it's so. Dumb it's hard. TO i was gonna, say if you've ever tried to shoot on a bucket in a makeshift on a makeshift court at a football, facility the sidelines are jacked up that your depth perception is. Off it's it's for. Football it's not for. BASKETBALL i mean every year we do this because we want as many, fans because you're trying to make. MONEY i get. It but for the product itself and for the, players it's it's not conducive to play in high level basketball.
Speaker 3: Any stadium or, arena and basketball players will will relate to this that doesn't have like equal backgrounds right on the different. Hoops you'll have wacky field goal percentages early maybe the first, games not not the second, games but first. Half it takes guys time to adjust, to like you, said different site lines in, arenas And i've you, Know i've seen it really really play a. Hand what's funnier to me is like when they played the game on THE i think it was a naval ship and guys are just air bawling for the warm ups until like halfway through the game they finally dialed.
Speaker 2: In.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man it really does affect the way you play when you can't really see what's going on behind the.
Speaker 1: Hoop tonight's prize picks line, up, Baby you ready for? It all, right here's what we're.
Speaker 3: Doing.
Speaker 1: Okay on prize, picks you pick more or less on player staff. PROJECTIONS i HAVE. Lj cryer for less than seventeen point five. POINTS i Have Walter Clayton junior for more than twenty. Points by the, way one of my favorite players to watch in all of college. BASKETBALL i actually told you, this And i'm mad at myself BECAUSE i did not trust my instinct for whatever. Reason every TIME i Watch florida this, Year i'm, like they're, awesome AND i didn't even pick them to make The final. Four That clayton junior, KID i love watching him play. Man he's stone cold.
Speaker 3: And kind Of on an opposite, NOTE i told myself IN i want to say Mid, FEBRUARY i was Watching houston play AND i, said you, know they may not have the best player on the on the, floor they may not have the fifth best player in the, country but they're gonna outrun everybody to a national. Championship and THEN i went With auburn instead at the last second BECAUSE i second guessed. Myself and, Hey houston is still here. Standing and again it's it's their. Versatility, yeah they got standout, players but it's it's kind of the the bi committee thing that they're just. Relentless so fun to.
Speaker 1: Watch milo's use on more than twelve point five, Points Thomas houk less than nineteen point five, points rebounds and, Assists Elijah, martin who's a beast of an athlete more than twelve point five, Points Juan Roberts houston's big more than twenty, points rebounds and assists. Combined none of this is anything you should pay attention. To Price picks has just asked me to do. It so there you. Go who you got before we say? Goodnight who do you think wins the?
Speaker 5: Game?
Speaker 3: Oh, Man i'm Gonna i'm gonna go With houston due to WHAT i just. SAID i you, Know i've had a feeling that they, physically it feels like their. Effort like not saying That florida's going to come out here and lay an. Egg that's a team that's going to play really. Hard BUT i just haven't seen anyone match the intensity Of houston all year. Long AND i think that when you can do that for a five month stretch, Man you're probably going to do it on the day of The National, championship AND i Think houston does that, tonight AND i Think kelvin gets himself a national. Title we'll.
Speaker 1: SEE i will take The Florida gators only because of the show. DYNAMIC i have no idea what's going to. Happen it is a one point. Spread i'm not usually good at feeling out of bracket because it's an exercise of, futility but mine was done pretty, quickly SO i Think florida gets it done, tonight BUT i don't feel good about.
Speaker 3: IT i think they have the best player on the, floor and if it comes down to a possession or two game late final, minute then you, Know i'll lean Towards florida BECAUSE i think that's when big players make big. Plays BUT i got.
Speaker 1: Hot houston's got. Something you're not wrong about. That by the, way are you watching The White? Lotus not?
Speaker 3: Yet still? Early Remember i'm gonna wait until like four seasons are ON hbo and Then i'll.
Speaker 1: Go, okay all, right, well THEN i will say. Nothing maybe last night was the season three finale and uh, oh there's three.
Speaker 3: Seasons, Yeah i'll just watch, it Then i'll go.
Speaker 1: Watch first of, all it's, awesome it's really, entertaining it's very well. Written Mike white created. It, uh he is obviously a very creative. Guy AND i gotta SAY i didn't see any of that coming last night for all The White lotus. Fans the ending very much got me off. Guard and that's the most entertaining type, ending very, breaking bad ish where you're not getting you, Said Mike.
Speaker 3: White who is? That is? That like other shows that we would? Recognize is there A Mike?
Speaker 1: White you might know him As Sarah silverman's boy a friend In school Of. ROCK i think It's Ned, Shleebley Ned, sneebley That's Mike. White it's honestly the only because he's not really an. Actor he's more of a director and a producer and a. Writer, OH i want to, say the only Thing i've ever seen him in Was school Of? Rock is that gooby Boyfriend Ned schleebley or whatever who Dated Sarah. SILVERMAN i think that's the only Thing i've ever seen.
Speaker 2: Him that's.
Speaker 3: Right this is actually a fun. FACT i heard a long Time Ned neebley like wrote a lot of the jack Like school Of. ROCK i think Our nacho. LIBRE i THINK i think he's involved in a lot of that. Stuff so there you. Go fun, Fact Ned snebley.
Speaker 1: The only Thing i'd ever seen him, in And Sarah silverman was not very nice to him In school Of. Rock IF i Was, Ned i'm. Out oh, Yeah i'm going to start the band With Jack. Black, Anyway Weird show, today we did learn that the plural of octopus is. Octopi we didn't learn. That we did not learn that you are you are going against? Science i'm you are you think you know more than? Scientists, well, look based off my social media, feed a bunch of my college friends think they know more than, scientists very, epidemiologists and now they're terr eff, experts which is. Amazing here we go the same morons THAT i went to school. With but, ANYWAY i just feel more comfortable saying octopi than. Octopuses that's.
Speaker 3: Fair you'd say octopedes as.
Speaker 1: Well all, right, Anyway Weird Show, Porter before we get out of, here what comes our way on hopefully a more Normal tuesday.
Speaker 3: SHOW a lot of hoops on A Tuesday. Show Tony jones stops by the. Program tim McMahon for OUR Nba Daily, assist and then of course as we wrap up the college basketball, season we have to get our Guy Ken Paul mroy on the show and coming off a, win how about?
Speaker 7: IT.
Speaker 3: Rsl Kurt schmidt joins the. PROGRAM i know they got the, w but you're gonna have a lot more questions For kurt as well off the.
Speaker 1: FIELD i am Putting kurt's feet to the fire. Tomorrow of, course he joins us after a, WIN i, tease love the. Guy we'll see if they're able to make some signings prior to the window. Closing all, right we'll get out of. Here special congratulations in my high school basketball Coach Mike maxwell being inducted into The Utah Sports hall Of fame. Tonight going to go stop by and pay my. Respects special thank you To Josh, Furlong Tom, Haberstrow Bell, frasier And Tony parks for the sound you missed from the. Show the website IS espn seven Hundred sports dot. Com our mobile app is THE espn seven hundred app that's available in The App store on The google Play. Store and then our, podcast which we are hoping that you will support because it does help us out it's called The drive With spence check its whatever platform you, use we're. There just do a search whatever that platform asks you to, do if it's a, follow if it's a. Subscription and then if you sandize things in the comments and you give us all the stars they allow, you it helps the. Program if you like what we, do we'd appreciate your. Support, Reporter i'm spent saying, tonight enjoy Some National championship college basketball, action a LITTLE nba hoops, too and we'll talk to you on A Tuesday drive and as all as you can find it right here ON espn seven hundred AND i have you TWO. Andefm we are proud to be part Of UTAH'S Espn radio network