Speaker 1: It's nice eyes with Dan Ray. I'm you Beazy Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: Thanks very much, Madison. I want to welcome everyone into a Wednesday night edition of Night's Side. My name is Dan Ray. With us in the booth tonight is Andrew Rich. Rob has a rare night off, and we're going to get right to our guests in the first hour because our first guest is a name that is very familiar to Red Sox fan since the Red Sox are playing tonight at Fenway Park. Mike Timlin, a great relief pitcher, a tremendous career in the major leagues, and four count them, four World Series rings, two with the Red Sox and two with the Drato Blue Jays. Mike Timlin, welcome back Tonight Side, my friend, how are you tonight?
Speaker 3: I'm great, Dan, good to hear you appreciate you having me on.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you this is a great cause. I think most of my audience remembers well that every year you come back home here with air quotes on the word home, but back home to Massachusetts to Hopkinson and this year the twenty second annual Sharon Timlin Memorial Event, a race to cure als will be held this Saturday out at Hopkins in high school. Your mom meant so much to you and so much to your family. Obviously taken at too early an age, but this race in her memory has done a tremendous amount of work to find a cure for this horrific disorder. Tell Us, tell us a little bit about your mom. You grew up in Texas, in Midland, Texas. Tell us of what life was like with your mom as a young boy and a teenager growing up.
Speaker 3: Well, I was the youngest of four children, had three older sisters, so my mom raised us all single handedly, you know, along with you know, my grandparents. But you know, Mom was a great she was off, uh you know, she taught us never to give up, always persevere. You know, hard times are going to be there. You're gonna have to just work hard and get through them. And that's kind of how we approach life, you know, take that lesson and you know, just keep forging forward. She is she was the driving force and you know a lot of our our family time. So my sisters and myself we all miss her, you know, quite a bit. But it's been a long time and we've you know, had this memorial run for her for twenty two years now and we have been able to you know, raise enough money, you know, to make a significant difference in you know, some of the research and things that doctor Brown has done in in the lab. So we feel like we've you know, we've definitely done our part and and that sort of thing. But you know, we we do. We miss Mom. I mean, it's it's it'll be nice to see her face. We have a memory walk for a lot of not just her, but a lot of people that have been you know, that are passed. But it's nice to see their faces there at the race every year.
Speaker 2: Well, I know that your wife, Dawn, you and she will be guest of honor this year. No sense of being humble about this year. Folks have raised more than a couple of two million dollars for als research with this event. And I assume people can still participate. There's still some slots open. I hope I know that the We'll give this website a couple of times, but it's simply Sharon Timlin, T I, M. L I N. Every Red Sox fan knows that race all one word dot org. Now. Registration is limited, but as I understand you still have some openings.
Speaker 3: I do believe we still have some openings. I'm not sure of the amount, but definitely if you want to try to you know, if you feel like you want to get on the website and register and see if you can get to the race, that would be we would be more than welcome to have you. We would be excited for you guys to show up try. If you can't, you know, then maybe we can have you know, have you there next year. But you know, it would always be a blessing to be over sold and to have a full field. So the farther I get away from my career, obviously, we know, you know, there's there's I have left poll. But you know, people have great memories in in the New England area, and you know they they support the things that we are passionate about, and this is one of them. And they've done such a great job over you know, twenty two or twenty one years. You know, it's just it's just awesome.
Speaker 2: That well about it is. You're adding this year what they call the Timlin tot rod.
Speaker 3: For tot trot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I thought maybe Nixon was involved in that as well. Timplin tod trot three to six year olds. Participants can run one hundred yards at the Hopkins and High School track at nine thirty. Then you have there are two divisions there, three and three to four, five to six. But also in terms of the run, you have awards for fourteen and under, fifteen to nineteen, people in their twenties, thirties, forties, fifties, sixties, seventy plus male and female eighty plus. I'm getting close to that division, and a whealelchair division.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, we're trying to have awards for everyone that can you know, that's in there, like a small division. And this year, I mean you can buy t shirts online, but oh, this as this close to the racetime, you might not get them for the race. But this year, I believe we're giving out medals instead of you know, just shirts. So if you win, you get a you know, a nice little metal nothing wrong with it. We're all of this, you know, like a family fun day. You know, we're doing a color run too, so my wife usually starts that and I've been trying to encourage people if you want to come out and you know, throw color on my wife, that would be awesome.
Speaker 2: Oh I don't think. I don't know your don's going to go for that, but that's okay. Look, the event starts in the morning. It's from eight thirty in the morning to twelve noon. Hopkinson High School has plenty of parking. That was the place where the runners for the marathon on marathon Monday. It's just easy to find, easy to get to. Uh, it's a great location. You got food there, you got you got people are going to get fed. There's a raffle, there's a silent auction. It just sounds like an absolute great day and all in memory of sharing Timlin.
Speaker 3: Well, she's just going to be myself and Mike Myers will be there, Lou Maloney will be out there this year. Manny del Carmen's going to show up. So we'll have a few guys that you know, that are that are former socks to be able to get out there and you know, sign some monographs and kind of take pictures and hang out. So it'd be great.
Speaker 2: That's great. We got it with Maloney, you got an infielder. With del Carmen. You got another right hander out of the bullpen. A Hyde Park kid. I grew up in Hyde Park, so we always uh very supportive of anything many Del Carmen does. And your buddy Mike Myers is the port sider, as we would say in baseball, the crafty left hander who comes out.
Speaker 3: Of the crafty left hander.
Speaker 2: For sure, there are no crafty right handers in baseball. Is I've be at the head?
Speaker 3: No, sir, not really. They they kind of get in to be left behind. You have to be a power right hander and a crafty lefty.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what it is. If you could be a lefty, you you could play till you're fifty. I remember, you know some of the lefties who were out there, A Rosco of those guys. They of course you yourself nineteen years, Mike Timlin, nineteen years with a bunch of teams primarily Toronto Blue Jays and the Red Sox in the American League East. What a you'll be. You'll be there'll your people were going to want to meet you. So look, congratulations on a career, Congratulations on doing so much good work for people, and congratulations for honoring your mom. I'm sure she's going to be looking down. She looks down every day, but I think, particularly on this Saturday, should be looking down with great pride.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think she will have a great time watching us do what we're gonna do. I stand up. I do appreciate you having us on and doing this for us every year and supporting you know, what we do and how we do it.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Mike. I really am honored to be asked. And I just think it's it's a great cause. I mean a lot of athletes you don't hear from them, but but you've remained involved in so many great causes and I just want to say, you know, on behalf of everyone here in New England. Thanks and come back, come back as as many times as you want. Well, we'll do it again next year. In one of these years, I'm going to get out there and uh and and see you.
Speaker 3: I just want to that would be great. And like you said earlier, you know it is you know, it is like a second home to me up there, so I love coming up there and you know, hanging out and doing stuff. So it'd be great.
Speaker 2: Well, just just enjoy the event and know that, Uh, it's such a great cause. I mean, no one knows. This is one of those diseases. It has a it's baseball related because of the lou Garrig disease. Uh. And yes, also there's this all that connections and we we just thank you for everything you do, my friend, and and safe travels and uh, enjoy the day. They're talking about a little of a rain, but I think it's going to be spotty, and I think you're going to be just fine on Saturday. So don't if anybody says it.
Speaker 3: We're keeping an eye out on it and trying to, you know, make sure it doesn't rain. So yeah, I'm doing all the prey and I can do.
Speaker 2: Well. I'll tell you, I'm sure the charon's looking down to she probably has some influence in that in that area, so you can leave that to her, that's for sure. Mike Timlin, thank you so much. Great great to have you hear your voice. You too, grew talk soon, Okay, thanks Mike the great Mike Timlin, great baseball player and a great human being and a great humanitarian. When we get back, we're going to introduce you to a doctor who's looking at a different question. Uh, and that is the mental health of new dads. Well, we will explain you've heard of a postpartum for new moms, well, new dads. One in ten new fathers also deal with some level of postpartum depression. We will explain again if you haven't gotten the New Knights, the new I should say iHeart app on which you can listen to night side, You've got to get on your whatever device you have again, your laptop, your smartphone, go to the app store and pull down the new and improved iHeart app. And there is a way in which, when you get a little familiar with it, you'll be able to actually leave us messages through the app. I'll explain that more as the days go ahead, but the primary thing is to get the app, new and improved iHeart App, bring it down on your device, on whatever device you use. It's as simple as that. Back on Nightside with Doctor Dan Singley. Right after this brief break.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Delighted to be joined by doctor Dan Single. He's a leading expert on father's mental health and co creative international Father's Mental Health Day, Doctor Singley, I guess Father's Mental Health Day is this Sunday, which is also Father's Day? Right, I mean timing's.
Speaker 4: Perfect, so exactually the Monday actually, I just Father's Day.
Speaker 2: I misspoke, It's it's it's the next day. But Father's Day is Sunday, yes, and then International Father's Mental Health Day. I was surprised to hear that one out of ten new dads suffer from postpartum depression. How do they figure that out?
Speaker 4: So through a bunch of different studies that then they do what's called a meta analysis or a metasynthesis, and the findings are really consistent that nearly ten percent of dads get postpartum depression, and even anti natalie during the pregnancy, about eight to ten percent get it. Even more get anxiety disorders. In the postpartum period. It's nearly twenty percent that will develop post traumatic stress, acute stress SESS, a compulsive disorder, specific phobia, that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that I can understand that. I can understand because you don't want to drop the baby. I get all of that. I know that women suffer from postpartum and I understand at least. I always thought, well, that's because of the physical separation, carried this this new child for nine months. Uh, and now the child is out on their own. How does that impact with dads? I would think dads would think. At least my thought at the time when my two kids were born was thank god they're born. Thank God they're healthy, and they're and they're safe, and let's let's let's now work to make sure everything's okay. I don't think I had postpartum depression. I I was dealing with lots of anxiety, like what do I do now? But I think most dads do it that anyway, Well, how does the postpartum depression uh display itself?
Speaker 4: So the development of it is is multi faceted. In fact, it's interesting what you said about like sort of like, uh, hey, the baby's out and things have changed and it is a big adjustment, certainly for moms. The tendency is to want to write off postpartum depression as something that only happens to the birthing parent because of gestating and the hormonal change and so forth, and hormones are very important in this process. However, the development of postpartum depression is multifaceted, and hormones, as I say, are one element of it, but the strength of the relationship, different cultural factors, socioeconomic status, different ways the person may experience being marginalized and for dads it's the same. It's also multifaceted. They may feel already they may have a pre Dads also, fathers that are very hands on with their infants experience the hormonal changes in the exact same direction as do moms and birthing parents. So drop in testosterone, higher levels of stress hormones like cortisol and adrenaline, levels of pair bonding hormones vasopressin, prolactin, oxytocin, and so forth. And the mechanism here seems to be being hands on with the baby. That tends not to happen with dads who don't. But I want to go back to the point. Even though there are research programs that are looking at how changes in testosterone at an earlier time than predict the development of postpartum depression in the dads, that it is not just a hormonal factor. They may have a pre existing history of trauma or depression or a sensitivity that they didn't know about. And in terms of how depression can present for some of these dads, there's the phenomena of what we call masked male depression, which can look a little bit different than the typical sort of presentation like vegetative, not getting out of bed, suicidal, very weepy, emotional in the corner. Masked male depression that a lot of fathers will experience, including in a postpartum depressive presentation, looks principle like anger, you know, frustration, irritation, anger, even on up into rage, an increase in drinking or using other drugs. But it can also look like video gaming, risky sex, gambling, even even shoplifting, being withdrawn, And so this is important. These dads can be around people like at work or in a multi generational household or in a faith based community, but they're just not connecting. They're just not engaging. So you could be lonely and withdrawn when you're surrounded by people. And the fourth factor here in this mask mail depression is what we call samaticizing and others. You take a psychological experience and turn it into a physiological one. And this is definitely aligned with the shame and the stigma that we assigned to mental health in general, even more so for men, even more so for fathers who are supposed to be protecting, providing and sacrificing and the rock and so on. So I can't be depressed but I have migraines, or I have chest tightness, or guests intestinal difficulties, or feels like there's a weight on me.
Speaker 2: So if someone feels this way, obviously they have to reach out. But a lot of times people who need to reach out of the last people who want to reach out. How do you solve that problem?
Speaker 4: Yeah, the research on men's health seeking is very clear. We don't want to ask for help. It's like, don't you know, I don't even want to ask for directions, let alone help. And it's worse when it comes to mental health health seeking. And as I said, it's even worse when it comes to mental health health seeking for dads in the perinatal period because everyone is telling them parent, educators, family friends, you need to be the rock, you need to support your partner. And that's true, but the problem is no one ever follows that up to say and you're also going to need support, and you're going to need more support than just your partner or your co parent can provide for you. That's really the message that we're trying to get out. And oftentimes, like there's research on what kind of support that new dads want. Briefly, they don't want to talk to me. They don't want to come talk to a shrink. They tend to want to talk to other dads and okay, well, in their community, people have lived experience exactly, and so it's tricky, like one of these dads shows up and is depressed and is really not doing well. What I try to do is to align with some of that traditional like fatherhood and masculinity about like, you know, providing. And one of the ways that I'll talk with these dads is to say, look, I know that you're struggling, and I get that you're hesitant to reach out. But the research on this is very straightforward. One of the most important things that you can provide for your baby and your family is the healthiest version of yourself. And oftentimes see light bulbs gone, Like, oh, I thought providing was money and food and protecting was keeping the saber tooth tigers away, But seeing himself as a really essential part of what his family needs can oftentimes be motivated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those darn sabre tooth tigers, watch out for them. Yeah, absolutely, doctor. Is there a website you can direct people too who may have listened to this interview and may feel they want to either take advantage of a website or refer a friend to a website. Is there is there an easy easy place I know? Yes, this is a group called Postpartum Support International. What would that be?
Speaker 4: Postpartum Support International. Our website is postpartum dot net. So again that's postpartum dot net. And we have a ton of resources, including for dads. We have handouts, we have little screeners that they can take. Every Friday, we have a closed confidential support group for new dads that themselves are struggling and or their partners may be. We also have a helpline that you can call into, you can text into English or Spanish, and then what usually happens is will give you resources and or they'll direct you to a regional coordinator, a Postpartum Support International or PSI coordinator in your area. And we have regional coordinators in every county in the country.
Speaker 2: Perfect, Perfect, I really appreciate your time. And by the way, in my relationship with my wife for many years, she refuses to ask for direction. She's always like with on ways, I'm the guy that's hanging his head out the window saying where's the nearest gas station or whatever? So I don't know what's what that says about me, but I'm I'm a direction seeker. I asked questions for a living. Did my private life great my public life? I learned a lot. I learned a long time ago in law school that the only dumb questions were the questions you didn't have the guts to ask in class, because those are the questions that came up on the midterms in the finals.
Speaker 4: See, there you go, man, you have the confidence to be flexible in how you show up.
Speaker 2: As ad you got it doctor singlely. I really I enjoyed this interview a whole lot, and I learned a lot. I appreciate you taking the.
Speaker 4: Time, Thanks so much for having me on. I appreciate and have a.
Speaker 2: Happy follows that Happy Father's Day to you too, if that applies. I have two two children, Thanks so much too. All right, excellent, right back at you. Coming up on the other side of the news, going to talk with the great Kevin Paul DuPont, Boston Globe sports writer and columnist, extraordinary mister hockey himself, and we are going to talk about the future of the Boston Bruins because there's no reason to talk about this past season. Back on Nightside after this.
Speaker 1: It's night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Well, here we are. It's a warm mid June nine. Most people aren't thinking about hockey, but there was a big Bruins announcement this week. Marco Sturm is the new Bruins head coach. Kevin Paul DuPont knows coach Sturam very well. See the best choice, do you think, Kevin? Welcome back to night Side. How are you?
Speaker 5: I'm great, Dan, Thanks thanks for having me. I do have to back up just for one second. I was listening to your spot on Doctor Sal Yes was that number forty million Americans don't have teeth?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes, there's only three hundred and thirty million Americans right there, le who've lost all their teeth.
Speaker 5: Dan, I have to say, I never knew there were that many ex hockey players in Americas.
Speaker 2: Oh, you set me up, Kevin.
Speaker 5: You set me up, way too easy, way too easy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, great, it's great to be with you. Marcos Sturam. I do know him from his playing days.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 5: He the right guy.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I can tell you this. He's enthusiastic. Uh, he is bright. You know he's I think he's committed to his craft. He did, he did six years. I didn't know this till yesterday. The six years he spent in Los Angeles as either an assistant on the varsity roster or as their coach in Ontario, Ontario, California. He did that all by himself. He just he left his family behind at at their agreement, of course, in in Florida, and and pursued this because this is what he wanted to do. So certainly they've got a guy who's committed. He knows the he knows the league from a player standpoint. Now we find out and of course this this is where the rubber meets the road.
Speaker 2: Kenny coach in the league and keep everybody happy. They had a problem Whi's putting the puck in the net this past season, and that puts tremendous, tremendous pressure on defense and on on goalies because when a mistake is made, are someone you know allows a shot to go in, and as someone who played some goal in high school and a little bit in college, I let more than my share of shots go by. Puts pressure on the offense and do they have do they have the gunners in this lineup right now, and do they have I guess, the ability to go out and get some gunners.
Speaker 5: Well, the short answer to the former is no, they don't. And really it's now the pressure is on Don Sweeney, who just hired Marcrostern, to go out and get at least two, three, as many as four more you know, legit bonifide NHL scorers up there. And that's that's far easier said than done, as you know, and to your point, yes, I mean when when there's no scoring, or lack of scoring, or lack of momentum so much of the sport is momentum, that really begins to erode the confidence of the defense, confidence of the goaltender, so and so much. A lot of people were very critical of Jeremy Swayman last year, and there were those a number of instances where you looked not just for the save, but for the timely save. And I think a lot of that was connected to the fact that you know, both sides, the offense and the defense, have to have confidence in each other.
Speaker 3: It was it was.
Speaker 5: Pretty clear as the year evolved there was no confidence in the scoring, particularly on the power play, and that's that's where teams separate themselves.
Speaker 2: And Goaldies can't do it eighty two games. Whatever the number of games regular season games and on into the on into the playoffs, it can be. It can be exhausting, particularly in the playoffs when they're playing every every other night. So I asked you this a couple of months ago. What do you think the chances are? And I know people are saying no, but I'm rooting for marsh On to get his name on the Cup again. Do you think they can be that there's any way they can they can induce him to come back here. You know, I'm not I'm not on the inside, So I have no idea how contentious the parting was in effect when he did him a favor, got him out of here and put him on a team that might might very well win the Stanley Cup. Any chance at Martian getting back here, and.
Speaker 5: To that point, Dan not not unlike decades ago when they traded Ray Borke to Colorado and he finally got his cup there.
Speaker 2: So I don't think Martian's going to retire.
Speaker 5: No, he isn't. No, and and and from you know, the number I keep hearing is he's convinced he's going to get eight million a year, which is a substantial lift over his six million plus that he's been making for the last uh six or seven years. So I'd be surprised if it gets to that point. But the but the salary cap is going up. He does make a difference. He certainly has made a difference in this Florida team. That said, you have to remember he went to a very strong Florida team. This is n't to take away from anything he's done there, but he you know, by my eye, he's put them over the top. Whereas here he you know, they were asking him to be, you know, first line left winger, first first out on the Populay, first out on the PK. Now he's a third line player down there, a third line player in the context of the team that's asking him to play third line. He has first line talent. So would it behoove the Bruins to bring him back to a certain degree. Yes, fan favorite, people love him. This is where he made his name. I have no doubt that he loves being in the city, family here, all of that. But he can't be that player here. We saw that. Now if he comes back with Sam Bennett from Florida as first light. That's a different story, but I think that just underscores they've got to they've got to upgrade this lineup. Not upgrading the lineup and paying brad marshand eight million a year, frankly, is just going to put him back in a position where next March they'd be looking to trade him. I don't I don't see the point in that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The other thing is that Florida doesn't have a state income tax, and we have the millionaire's tax here in Massachusetts. And when you look at those numbers, Florida has a huge advantage. If they want to just simply match whatever the Bruins want to offer, the Bruins would have to bring it up substantially.
Speaker 5: So yeah, there were what there were seven or eight US cities in the NHL that have no state income tax, and that does give them somewhat of an advantage.
Speaker 2: So Tampa and Florida are to Nashville, and I have to go through the rest.
Speaker 5: But yeah, yeah, Dallas is one, they Attle is another, Vegas is another. Yeah, you know, it kills me to be paying that millionaire's tax. I don't know about you, Dan.
Speaker 2: But oh yeah, well, you know every day I make so well you yeah, in the written and the spoken word. Not anyway, Hey, Kevin, hate to hear your voice. It just warms my hat in the middle of June to talk a little bit of hockey, that's for sure. And you are undoubtedly the best. I'm telling you well, human hockey hero as a journalist. And you know that's true. When I say that, I really mean it. Nobody knows the game better than you do.
Speaker 5: Of all these He's very kind. Thank you, Dan, always here to talk at any time, and give my best a doctor sal I will.
Speaker 2: And if you ever play any you know, summer hockey this year, and you happen to lose a tooth, let me know I can get you a deal. Okay, All good, Thanks Gavin, talk soon. Okay, all right. We we have one more guest coming up and he's a historian, Peter Drummy. We'll talk with him about the Battle of Bunker Hill. There's gonna be a lot going on in Charlestown and also in Gloucester where there was another battle, but there will be the re enactment at the Battle of buncle Hip punker Hill. We'll explain it all clarify. It's coming up soon on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Right after this, It's Nightside with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Like to Welcome to Nightside, Peter Drummy. He's the chief historian and Stephen T. Riley librarian with the Massachusetts Historical Society. Peter Drummy, Welcome to Nightside. We talked about this whole question a night or two ago, about actually last night, about the Battle of Bunker Hill to fifty, so I want to touch on that, but I also want to touch on the artifacts that the Massachusetts Historical Society of which you're the chief historian, have discovered over the years that they back to the date of the Battle of Bunker Hill June seventeenth, seventeenth.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm first, good evening, But it's wonderful to work at a place that's primarily our research library. But along with documents, letters and diaries and accounts of events in American history and many things about the Battle of Bunker Hill, we also have wonderful artifacts, and for many people who come to visit to view the exhibition we have now about the first year of the Revolution, artifacts speak to people in a way that written documents sometimes don't so. Just for example, right next to a letter, wonderful letter that Abigail Adams writes about viewing the Battle of bunker Hill by looking from Braintree, you know, Quinsy across Boston to Charlestown, can see it the battle underway far away, but can still see it vividly and hear it the canon fire from it. But next to it in the display case is.
Speaker 5: Our two.
Speaker 6: Very delicate silver spoons that essentially a very young woman relief ellery, a perfect early New England name picked up from the breakfast table on the morning of June seventeenth. She lived with her widowed mother in Charlestown, and there was this firing from from Breed's Hill in Charlestown and returned fire from the Royal Navy ships in the harbor and from Boston. But they prepared to flee what they thought was and was an impending battle. And during the Battle of Bunker Hill, the town of Charlestown was entirely burnt to the ground, everything destroyed. Maps and views after the battle just show the chimneys from the wreckage of the town of shutting up out of the wreckage. The town of Charlestown, but she had We had not realized women didn't have pockets in their clothes times. They wore something that was like an apron, but had a pocket in it to wear doing domestic things around the house. And all the ellerries had between them was what relief Ellery had in her pocket, which was these two silver spoons. Everything they owned in the world had been destroyed that day, their home, everything they had. They were truly war refugees, and all that survived were these two delicate little silver spoons from the breakfast table. And she kept them through her long life and passed them down through women members of her family and her descendants who gave them to the historical society.
Speaker 3: And we have this.
Speaker 6: Very powerful object that's the sort of a relic of the battle, and that's at one end of the scale. And then wonderfully, at the other end of the scale, we have a plaque on display literally above where these spoons are displayed, which is cross swords against a plaque mounted together. And these are the swords that were passed down from William Prescott, who was the field commander at Breed's Hill during the battle. The troops right on the ground fighting American troops fighting at Bunker Hill, and acrossed with it is a sword borne by John Lindsay, who was a captain of a small Royal Navy ship, the Falcon, that bombarded Bunker Hill during the battle. So there are people who are literally fighting on opposite sides carrying these swords as commanders of a ship and commander of the ground forces and after the revolution, although he's a very aggressive naval commander during the Revolution. After the John Lindsay, before the Revolution is married a young woman from Boston, and he comes he comes back to America and settles in Boston. After the Revolution, He's apparently lives in Milton and apparently treated perfectly fairly and lives the rest of his life here.
Speaker 5: But he has a.
Speaker 6: Grandchild, granddaughter who marries a Prescott grandson. So these two families that fought on opposite sides in the Revolution at the Battle of Bunker Hill are in the water immediately adjacent to it. And then their descendants married and brought together these symbols of the two opposing sides and the Revolution.
Speaker 2: You know, we have to have you back when I have much more time, Peter. Again, these items are at the mass Historical Society, which I believe is in South Boston by the Kennedy line.
Speaker 7: No, it's actually in the back day of Boston out beyond where Boyleston Street eleven fifty four Boylston Street where Boyles were mass Avenue across the Boylston Street.
Speaker 6: And with this exhibition is on display here Rebels, Rights and Revolutions seventeen seventy five. It'll be here on display six days a week really through the rest of the year. Through we have talks on Friday about the Battle of Bunker Hill and showing these specific artifacts I'm speaking about.
Speaker 2: Your enthusiasm is infectious. Give me quickly if you can. Is there a website where people can check and make sure that they get to the right address or the right day.
Speaker 6: Sure, if you just type in Massachusetts Historical Society. The web website is that abbreviated massist dot org. But Massachusetts Historical societ will bring you right to our main website.
Speaker 2: Perfect. Peter Drumming would love to have you back. You're an extraordinary guest. I thank you for your time. I wish I had much more time tonight, but we'll make time in the future.
Speaker 6: Okay, my pleasure.
Speaker 2: Thanks Peter Peter Drummy, chief historian, and Steven t Rolly, librarian with the Massachusetts Historical Society. And if that doesn't whet your appetite to learn more about the Revolution, nothing will. We're gonna come back and we're gonna talk about the weakening Massachusetts economy, sadly, with a representative of the Pioneer Institute back on nightside after the nine o'clock news