Speaker 1: Well, here's a little funny fun fact that we recorded the Minnesota Goodbye. I got about probably twelve fifteen minutes into it, and I looked up and I tried to push the stop button, and the stop button wouldn't turn off, and then I realized there was no wave form. So it is like every three weeks or so that we do the Minnesota Goodbye and so, but we're not going to dwell on it.
Speaker 2: Let's just just double check that there's a way for them.
Speaker 1: I'm looking right now. There's a way for them. I'm looking right now. But we're talking about funny shirts at the Minnesota State Fair and some of the shirts that Jenny brought it up. And then I started looking at shirts yesterday. I saw one that it was a guy looked like he was, you know, he was definitely from Mexico or Ecuador or somewhere, and his shirt said I'm not an illegal alien, I just look like one. And that made me laugh. I was going to take a picture. I saw another one that said that's a terrible idea, what time? And I thought that was cute. Two, And then I saw one that I described on the previous episod so to the Minnesota Goodbye. That didn't record, and I've decided not to do it because it is kind of like risk and offensive and a little bit insulting, So we're not going to do that one.
Speaker 2: What'd you see, Jenny, I saw a big dick is back in town and I sent that one to you, guys.
Speaker 1: What's funny is I saw that picture was on a regular standard looking college age kid looking guy.
Speaker 2: Right. Yeah. Another one was my old lady was inmate of the month at Lowell, Florida State Prison. I work hard so my dog can have a better life. That's just a cue.
Speaker 1: That's cute.
Speaker 2: Nope, not today. There was one that said fecal transplant donor thirty pound club. That was a discuss weird, and I don't know. There was a few others. I think I started deleting the pictures I have.
Speaker 3: I have a couple of friends that wear a shirt that literally all it says and very plain font is I really enjoy the Minnesota State Fair period And that's really that's all it says. And you saw it on Saturday day and you were like, see that's a shy Yeah, gets to the point.
Speaker 2: Okay, one more that I remembered that I think was my favorite share was it says shut your three point one four and then in a bunch of small letters was all the numbers for pie or a bunch of numbers for pie, and then at the end and bigger letters again it's at hole. So it was shut your pie hole.
Speaker 1: Shut your pie hole. I like it. I'm going to give a shout out to Lucas because he is he is emailed about headphones and it's not for the Minnesota Goodbye. It's not really that you know, suited for the Minnesota Goodbye. But I did want to let you know, Lucas that I did get your email and I appreciate it, but it's not going to be on the Minnesota Goodbye.
Speaker 3: I don't get new headphones, Dave, did you see them? I got them and I started to rhyin stone them already, so I'm moving on up.
Speaker 1: Well, Bailey got really cheap headphones that kind of gave out.
Speaker 3: Yes, they were garbage and awful, and literally when I plugged these in, I could hear so much better, so it's probably a good thing. But I did get them on sale second hand, and the chords a little screwed up, but it's worth it because I literally got them for a fraction of the price that they would normally have made.
Speaker 1: Very nigh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm so proud of myself.
Speaker 1: Okay, next one, This is mostly for Jenny, and I won't use their name. Okay, here we go. My belly hurts some having a little trouble like freeding and not cringing. So, Jenny, I've been thinking a lot about your thoughts on having your own kids. As a father of three all under seven and with another one on the way, I am thirty six. My wife is the same age. Fortunately we have not had age issues with conception, gestation, labor, anything. Considering your healthy lifestyle compared to the average American, I think you have plenty of time to make the best choice for yourself. Philosophically, I have always thought our greatest purpose as humans would be between discovery and legacy. Personally, I believe discovering the world, growing ourselves, creating, exploring, and bringing joy and inspiration is incredibly important. Legacy is essentially pro creation, but you get an opportunity to create those experiences firsthand. It makes your brain release oxytocin on the spot, and that is a very tough drug to beat once you've had it, But essentially that is evolutionary. That is why I think discovery should come before legacy. Many of the experience you have shared with me on the radio it made me a better parent, and not only from Dave since he has kids, but from you, Bailey and Font as well. The positive things we can do have more impact than we will ever understand. We create a legacy every day with how we interact with our world. Admittedly I have regrets. I wish I'd worked harder to pursue my journalism career, considering I'm part of the overpopulation concerns. Maybe I shouldn't have a say. My wife and I are both well educated, and if and fiscally sounds so selfishly, maybe I think it's not so bad. All I can say, Jenny is follow your heart. Our minds take over way too much, spinning us in circles over doubt, but also pushing us to do things we never thought possible. Whatever you do, I guarantee to you it will be the right choice. Thank you for all the fun you fun you do, oh fun Comma period. You do so much to make my day wonderful. God I'm sorry about that. I just got a little twist at the end. Any thoughts on his.
Speaker 2: Email, Yeah, I mean, I think it's a great email. A B. You should still pursue journalism if you're able to. I know you got it your handful with a bunch of kids now. And see, I've never thought of kids in that sense. On our previous record of this, I brought up how a lot of people had texted in it's saying like, oh, you're going to be so lonely later in life if you don't have kids. And I think that that's a very selfish reason to have children. I can understand if that's part of the reason you have children, but not if it's the main reason, then that is not a reason to have kids in my eyes. But the thought of a legacy being left behind, that's just like a very different perspective that I've definitely never thought about before. So thanks for your email. Very interesting.
Speaker 3: He wrote it in such a very lovely way too, So hey, if journalism's still in the cars for you, like you should pursue it because you're a really good writer. And that was like beautifully written in general. And I want to say one thing about the legacy thing is that I think you could potentially experience legacy without having children as well, Like what kind of impact are you making without children? Like so, but kind of to what you were saying, Jenny, like you don't want to have kids just so you're not lonely when you're an adult, but like you also don't want to have kids just so that you have a legacy to like carry on, Yeah, because you could potentially find that legacy elsewhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah. One thing I got as a DM. I've gotten a lot of dms from people ever since talking about this, so thank you. But one thing that was interesting is this woman talked about how she has two boys, and one boy loves to hunt, and his brother feels like he should love to hunt too because he sees his brother going out there and hunting. So then he goes along and he hunts, and he hates it and he kind of like forgets, and then he goes back out and he's like, well, I want to hunt too, Like he's still hunting, and then he goes and he does it again, and he's like, no, I actually hate it. So don't just do it because you see other people who are liking it. Just make sure you're going to like it too sure.
Speaker 1: You know it's funny. When I had kids, I didn't never I never did any none of my kids I ever said let's do it deliberately, except maybe Carson. With Carson it was kind of like, Okay, you know, if it happens, it happens. But the other three were wonderful, unexpected. I mean, it's like you know what you're doing and you know it can resolve. But I never looked at my kids as like, I want to have a kid because I don't want to grow up and grow old and be alone or have a kid take care of me. I do think that that is one of the advantages. But I will tell you this, I don't ever want my kids to take care of me. If I have the financial means where I'm like able to go live in assisted living, I don't want my kids to have to like you know, you hear about people like, yeah, he had to move back to Pennsylvania because his dad ads real sick.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean that's great, that's very wonderful that.
Speaker 3: He does spendable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I don't want my kids to greatly disrupt their life because dad is sick and dad needs, you know, like kidney dialysis and a rite of the whatever. I don't want that, and I know that my kids would probably do it, especially Allison. It's always the girl, by the way, it's always the girl that takes care of the daughters, that take care of the aging parents. It is I know somebody right now, their mom is like eighty eight years old. They're not the best of health, so they do all of the mom stuff. And their brothers and they have several brothers. They don't do anything. They just don't. But I don't want my kids. So if I have the financial means and I'm like old and sick, I'm going to go into a nursing home or assisted living and I'll just lay there and play bingo and watch prices. Right, that's like probably what you want to do. And yeah, and being satisfied that my kids don't have to take care of me. Okay. Next one is from Jai. Jackie came to the fair over the weekend. And it's not important that you do this, but the first thing I noticed with Jackie and I didn't want to bring it up because it was a very old reference. I didn't want to sound like her grandfather, and I didn't want to embarrass her. But she looked just like nineteen seventies John Denver. So I had Bailey a little while ago, and I did the same thing google nineteen seventies John Denver, and with the big granny glasses and the hat then the blonde hair, That's exactly what she looked like. But John, and You're like, you know, she looks like a dude, and I'm like, no, John Denver was a very hot lady back in the day. John Denver was a hot girl back in the day. Anyway, She goes on to say, I want to thank you so much for signing my shirt today. You're amazing. I listened to you live on the radio during the summer, and during the school year. I listened to podcasts. I'm a teacher. I've been listening to Minnesota Goodbye since you first started. Your show is always a constant in my life, and I really appreciated this summer due to some life changes. I also want to release say thank you to Jenny for not getting frustrated with me. I felt super rude interrupting her as she was getting settled in at noon. She just got there and trying to join the crew. But she was so kind and quickly signed my shirt as well. I always tried to get a picture with the Morning Show when I get the chance at the fair. Thanks for being kind and amazing. I wish I could have gotten the chance to sit and listen to you at the fair, but unfortunately I had to get back to my group who was waiting for me. Sincerely, Jackie.
Speaker 3: You can actually listen to that special edition State Fair Show. It's on our podcast. So oh it is, yeah, on the Dave Ryan Show podcast. I turned it into a podcast. It's forty five minutes and forty five.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's cool. I know that somebody was either you or wont we're talking about this. That's cool.
Speaker 3: So if you missed us, you can listen to what we said.
Speaker 1: Let's see this one says, don't say my name. And if you ever don't want me to say your name and I accidentally say it, I'll go back and delete it. But if you don't, then just try to put that up front, because one of the first things I do is look at the name in the email return whatever, and I usually say it, Okay, Dave, I see your perspective on wanting Adventure. We talked about how you know somebody said the other day, they said, is Susan okay? Is everything okay? Because you know, you said something about how I don't remember what brought it up, but she's not adventuresome and is everything okay? Whatever? And I said, you know, Susan doesn't like adventure, And I said, I still have a lot of adventure in me, and I want to go live this adventure. I don't want to sit by the pool on vacation. And Jenny said, you're kind of the same way. I don't mind the pool for days one, three, and five, but on days two and four, I want to go do something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel you there for sure, I wouldn't want to. I'd say I wouldn't mind the pool in an afternoon, but the rest of the time that I'm there, I want to do stuff.
Speaker 1: I want to do something. I see your perspective on wanting to adventure. My husband as a job that keeps him very busy, so when he's home, he wants to put her around the house and yard and play with the kids. I stay at home mom, So when he gets home, I feel like, let's go out and go do something. I need to leave this house. I want to try new things. I don't want to keep doing laundry and vacuuming all weekend when I've been doing it all week and it can be frustrating that I have to come up with the ideas and try to drag the family to it. I would kill for my husband to say, Hey, I heard about this cool new XYZ. Let's go check it out, and then physically start to get ready to go instead of coaxing eye me coaxing everyone to the car. However, as the one who is managing the family, I can see myself in a few years just wanting to sit and do my own thing. Have you thought about the idea day that you spent the last twenty to thirty years chasing your own hopes and dreams and goals while she was the steady eddie holding down a job that gave her enough stability to pick the kids up from school, make dinners, maintain the mental load of doctor's appointments, birthday parties. You sound like a loving dad, but by your own admission, not physically or mentally present for chunks of their childhood. When you were working ideas, working on ideas for the show. In the other room, somebody had to make dinner and get homework done. Now, Susan is likely taking on the mental and emotional load of helping her daughter with her own kids. It's possible she's burned out and this is the most energy most she has energy for. She might even be out of practice and she goes on for a little bit. I don't have a fix. Only you know what your relationship is just saying I think a lot of us feel this worry about wasted time and occasional incompatibility with the spouse's time allocation and energy. Thank you very much for a very thoughtful email. No, you're right. I think that Susan did used to work a full time job and did most of the dinner, making, homework, doing whatever. Because when I was younger and the kids were really young, my in my mind, my primary job was to work, work, work and earn as much as I could. So I would sit in the office and I would do work on the show. And I've told you this story a million times. And we never ate dinner together. We never ate dinner together as a family. Never maybe once a year or twice a year. The rest of the years, the rest of the nights, maybe on Sundays, I would be in the office working on the latest parody song or the latest parody spot or whatever, and the kids would eat at the kitchen counter by themselves after they went to bed and I was done working, then Susan and I would eat. And I look back on that and I'm like, what, just a fucking terrible decision to give up all of those memories, not only for me but for the kids. Sure of having family dinner? Did you have family dinners together when you were a kid. My parents were divorced, and my bitter Madison and mom.
Speaker 3: Me and my sister would eat. My mom was a working mom, so she'd come home make us food and then we would just sit at the kitchen table and eat it.
Speaker 2: Okay, what about you, Jenny, Yeah, we I mean before my parents got divorced, we sat at the dinner table every night. I mean, my parents had weird schedules, so sometimes my dad worked nights or my mom worked nights and stuff. But yes, when they were still together, we ate at the dinner table together every chance that we could get. And then that continued once my parents got divorced. Just obviously, one mile was at my mom's with my mom, Dad, Dad's.
Speaker 1: And believe it or not, we just had another technical problem with the Minnesota Goodbye, So rather than explain it, we will only say in a cheery, cheery, positive, joyful voice, Yeah, that's going to do it for the Minnesota Goodbye. We will see you tomorrow. Send your emails in to Ryan Show at KDIWB dot com. If you want a staff rider sticker and you don't have one, we read your email. We'll put your address in your email and we'd be happy to send you one