Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: A little bit later this hour, there is a story that suggests that we're waiting too long to tell our kids about sex.
Speaker 3: Kids need to know a lot earlier. What's going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we'll talk about that a little bit later this hour. The birds and the bees might be happening too late for kids, So you can always let us know on the talkback feature, what you did with your kids? When did you start even the broaching the subject?
Speaker 3: When did you do that? Don't you remember the Okay, if I want to say my son was seven.
Speaker 2: Whoa, that's nice and early, well, the super generic basics of it, and then over the course of a couple of years more and more specific. But I think it was I think he was yeah, wow, because we had a friend who's we had a friend who lost their baby, and it was it came up at dinner time. Maybe probably shouldn't have, I don't know, I mean, but we were talking about it, and that prompted the discussion of where did well, how did it get there in the first place?
Speaker 3: Oh? Really, how did the baby get there? So he asked that, oh yeah, wow, very curious kids.
Speaker 1: So over dinner, what what do you say to that as a seven year old version.
Speaker 2: Well, it was five, so it was you know, we had to tailor it for the lowest common denominator at that point. Little did we know that she would of course go on to be organic chemist. But the it was just very simple of she and her husband decided that they wanted to start a family, so.
Speaker 3: You can do things to do that and there and it.
Speaker 2: Was like a wink, wink, I'll have to follow up on this one after dinner. And that's when I went upstairs and was selling my son much more of the specific details about what goes into that. And I said, so, if there's any questions, you know your friends are going to talk about it, or you have questions, or you hear something you can always ask, don't worry about it.
Speaker 3: Chances are your friends are wrong about it. But I'll tell you the truth, no, no holds barred.
Speaker 2: And that's when he looked at me and he goes, does this look like a hobo to you? Because he was playing with legos the entire time and was trying to make a homeless person out of legos.
Speaker 3: Oh so cute, and.
Speaker 2: It didn't it didn't look anything like a hobo. He needed to add the little stick with the you know, the pouch on.
Speaker 1: The So I miss a good hobo back when they really lived off the like living off the land, but living.
Speaker 2: Off the street. It's time for swamplash.
Speaker 3: When I'm not kissing, I join you. The other side never quits.
Speaker 4: So what, I'm not going anywhere so.
Speaker 5: That you rain the swat.
Speaker 3: I can imagine what can be and be unburdened by what has been. You know, Americans have always been going at present. They're not stupid.
Speaker 2: A political flunder is when a politician actually tells the truth.
Speaker 3: Have the people voted for you? With nas swap? Watch they're all counternolled, all right.
Speaker 1: Pete haig Seth remains the headline coming out of Washington. Does the White House want to get rid of him or not?
Speaker 3: It depends on who you ask.
Speaker 1: Pete Haig Seth was lambasted yesterday in the media for having that second signal chat on the app about the hoothy plans. Apparently this one was with his lawyer, his brother, and his wife. Two of those people work for the Department of the Defense. This was not classified information. But he had to put his hackles up once again, and he had to do so at the Easter egg roll at the White House. Didn't come off great, And today came the boobs and the people that want him out, and now the rumor has hit the Oval with the story being that Trump's figuring out a way to get.
Speaker 3: Rid of them.
Speaker 2: He has said that he remains dedicated to Pete Eggseth. The White House Press Secretary of Caroline Levett last hour said as much, so we'll see where it goes now. Harvard University is suing the administration in federal court, the latest move in this feud between Harvard and the Trump administration. They trying they are trying to block the Trump administration from withholding federal funding, they said as leverage to gain control of academic decision making at Harvard. The president of Harvard, Alan Gerber, said in a message that the administration's actions are unlawful and beyond the government's authority. Another quick just an update on the Supreme Court. They were hearing arguments today about whether parents of public school kids have a constitutional right to opt out their kids from classroom lessons if those classroom lessons rely on textbooks or storybooks that feature LGBTQ themes or characters, not to take them out of school, and not even to change the curriculum, but just to opt their kids out of those specific lessons.
Speaker 3: They heard arguments about that case. Today.
Speaker 1: Well, there are a lot of layoffs going on in the federal agencies, and the Department of Transportation has come up with a sav maybe so to speak, for its employees that are getting the acts the You said there were layoffs, right, not playoffs. Oh, this isn't hockey we're talking about. Hockey is still going on with playoffs, right. Playoffs last for about six months in the hockey season. Basketball as well, there you go for another two months.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 1: I don't get that, but okay, that for them. So the Department of Transportation is offering this new career Transition Learning series is what they're calling it. It's intended to help guide employees through the transition from the federal sector to alternate industries. It's offering tips on personal branding, managing emotions. As you can imagine, this is not going over Well, we'll tell you details. It's kind of like when your girlfriend or your boyfriend breaks up with you and then they give you tips on how to deal with it. It's pretty much what it sounds like, and it's pretty much getting received that way.
Speaker 3: We'll get into it when we come back.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, just briefly, the Department of Transportation trying to help the employees that it's acting by giving them career transition learning studies elevating your personal brand. You will learn how to navigate your strong emotions that you feel when you get I don't know, fired, skills that will focus on coping with downsizing and job loss. The overview is billed as an opportunity to recognize emotional cues and to incorporate strategies to manage and prevent strong reactions.
Speaker 2: Because prevent the emotional outbursts is key to a productive.
Speaker 1: They're basically telling all of the people that they fired, calm down.
Speaker 2: Which is weird because it almost seems like those people to oversimplify. People who are losing their jobs in the federal government right now are people who have in many cases become very soft and this would be something that they would like to see, is they would like somebody to come alongside them and help them manage their emotions, deal with the transition, etc. But one person says, it feels like it's intended to tell us we're being dramatic, or that we're not professional enough to go through turmoil and remain detached and completely calm.
Speaker 3: It feels out it's scare acle.
Speaker 2: That person spoke anonymously to Politico, gave the example of when the new Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy showed up in the office and announced a dress code as soon as he got there. When everyone knows how to dress for the office, and there's no need to tell a professional workforce how to dress.
Speaker 3: Well, then why would he say. If there's no.
Speaker 2: Indication that that's necessary, then why do you think he would say something like that?
Speaker 3: Hmmm?
Speaker 2: He said, it's ham handed if it's not deliberately to scare people. Agencies have been given directives to severely cut their workforce through layoffs or reductions in force, The DOT has not yet done their widespread life.
Speaker 1: Just like I would imagine, I don't want to send my kids to school for them to learn about sex and gender options. I don't want to go work at the Transportation Department and then tell me how to manage my emotions. No, I'm here to do paperwork at tedious whatever, monot mix the roads. I'm here to.
Speaker 3: Do a job.
Speaker 1: You know, the kids are there to learn to read and to do math, and I'm here to do my job. Let's leave our emotional stability out of it.
Speaker 3: It's hard to save money.
Speaker 2: California is a difficult place to live, just in terms of the cost of living.
Speaker 4: Hey, Garyan Trennon is Leapa from Orange County. Just getting on the topic about things being cheaper somewhere else, Me and my wife all three take a trip to Houston to go see Christapleton over there with our hotel or fly and our tickets are still cheaper than getting tickets just tickets for two of us, my wife and I at the Hollywood Bowl.
Speaker 3: Go figure. Yeah, I did the same trip.
Speaker 2: I mean I didn't do it in Houston, and it wasn't Chris Stapleton but Nashville, Mumford and Sons.
Speaker 3: Several years ago.
Speaker 2: It cost as much to fly my wife and I to Nashville for a few days see that concert that it would be to watch that same show here in LA.
Speaker 1: I've heard this story countless times from friends that they're they're traveling to go see concerts. And I've noticed this for football for years. Back when I used to fly for the forty nine Ers before working for the Chargers is we would pick games to go to me and my girlfriends, and all of them were cheaper options than going up to the Bay Area to watch a home game. It was cheaper to go to Chicago or really anywhere else. The flight, the ticket, the food, the hotel, everything so much cheaper.
Speaker 2: There's a new survey that came out conducted by Talker Research, commissioned by the consumer banking app called Current, asked a couple thousand Americans across different generations a survey. This survey show that sixty seven percent of us feel like we're lagging behind when it comes to savings targets, whether it's you have short term goals like you can buy a car, house or something like that, or long term goals like retirement. And of the sixty seven percent who feel like they're lagging behind, forty seven percent have completely given up hope when it comes to saving, believing that they're never going to see their financial milestones that they have set for themselves. Since January of twenty five, sixty three percent of those with savings accounts have drawn withdrawn money, not a giant surprise, but they said that twenty percent, about one in five, have made five or more withdrawals, and not for things like vacations or shopping sprees or those milestones that they want to meet. They said they're using their savings to cover basics and emergencies. When they're taking money out. Unexpected expenses top the list. Every day necessities they wouldn't otherwise be able to afford. Emergencies are on there. And then housing payments like rent or mortgage, And they said only eighteen percent fewer than one in five report using their savings for something that they were actually saving. Four that savings accounts have shifted into sort of the emergency bucket of emergency money that you dip into as opposed to having plans for it down the road.
Speaker 1: Does it get into what percentage of people have savings.
Speaker 2: Well, it says that most people do have savings, period, But.
Speaker 3: What does that mean like fifty bucks?
Speaker 1: It could be okay, I mean, but I mean there's been times when that has been my savings.
Speaker 3: If you have a.
Speaker 2: Couple of if you have a couple bank accounts. I was always told my parents always encouraged me to get two bank accounts. One that was hide it, that was one of them. Of one of them was get a fake name. I'll see that no one knows about. No one was so that if you use you have a constant way to sock away money somewhere. Don't just put fifty bucks into sock drawer every month or wherever you put it to actually have a savings like.
Speaker 3: A savings account and a checking account, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the checking account is the one that you do. You know, you set your budget by you do that. That's how you spend. That's the one that you use to get the cash out if you need, you know, spending money for whatever it is. But that you've got something that's always I mean to kind of use this the terminology they were using as the emergency bucket if I ever needed it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then eventually after a couple of years, you realize, oh, I do have some.
Speaker 3: Money in there.
Speaker 2: I can make a down payment, or I can get that car that I was looking for or something like that.
Speaker 3: But that was always their their words to me about.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, my dad was very big on the whole savings account thing.
Speaker 2: All right, so we're going to come back. We're going to talk a little bit more about the pope stuff that.
Speaker 1: You're so well versed on the pope. Accouter Ma, I can't wait for you to tell us about the.
Speaker 3: Oh okay. Also, are we doing this today by the grandparents and the screen times we could? Yeah, we could do that. That's very sad. That makes me very sad.
Speaker 1: The headline is this, sadly half of kids time with grandparents now spent on screens. Oh like some of my favorite childhood memories my grandparents.
Speaker 3: They also didn't have screens back then. I mean you had TV, but barely barely. Yeah. You had the horse and buggy trips that you got to take with yours. Yeah, we did the there were no roads where you were going.
Speaker 2: My my dad was Doc Brown or my grandpa was Doc Brown.
Speaker 3: Taking me back to the future. I paved roads.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: An earth day, my sister's birthday. Oh what have you called? I did not call.
Speaker 2: I texted this morning she was I don't know what time she got up, so I don't what an awful thing to have been called. My mother used to do that on a regular basis. She wanted to be the first one to call, so at approximately six 't ten on your birthday, she will call you and wake you out of a deep, deep slumber just to say happy.
Speaker 1: I love that, I love I do. My mother does the same thing. She calls me early. In fact, when people call me after noon, I kind of they're dead to me. You got to get it in before noon or else.
Speaker 3: I guess I'm not in port don't count.
Speaker 2: Podcaster former Fox News host Steve Hilton is going to be running for governor here in California. He announces Canada see Yesterday, launches it today with a big rally in Huntington Beach. His basic message, California is failing and the super majority of Democrats we've had in the state.
Speaker 3: Is to blame.
Speaker 2: And he said, now it's sort of a unique opportunity for us to change the trajectory.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna let this Shannon Sharp situation play out without jumping into the muddy waters here. It seems kind of it seems it seems gross, It seems gratuitous, and I don't like any part of it.
Speaker 3: So I just don't even want to give it any more oxygen.
Speaker 1: But a woman that he had a relationship with is suing for a lot of money because she's alleging bad things, and he has yet to defend himself other than this is not what happened.
Speaker 3: Apparently that's going to come this afternoon.
Speaker 2: One of the things that happens when the pope dies is they smash his ring.
Speaker 3: It'll signet fisherman ring.
Speaker 1: Right, So the fisherman's ring is really among the most recognizable items of papal regalia. Of course, it was named after Saint Peter, who was a fisherman and the first Pope. It was worn by Pope Francis to ceremonial events throughout his potpourri. I don't know that came up with that. It was stupid rain rain. Sure is twelve year people. Oh that's good, you should.
Speaker 3: Do something with that. Yeah, conclave too, yeah, yeah, no, just something to think about, time to refresh.
Speaker 1: Just spitballing a couple fresh right, yeah, countless devoters kissed it to votees kissed it. It sparked a controversy over hygiene, because of course it did. But now, as tradition dictates, this signet ring will be destroyed within the walls of the Vatican following the death. There are practical routes that go along with this ritual. The fisherman's ring and a pendant called the bullah traditionally served as official seals for official letters and documents known as papal briefs. The new ones were issued to each incoming pope and to prevent letters or decrees being forged posthumously, both would be smashed with a hammer upon his death, and between fifteen twenty one until twenty thirteen, this is exactly what happened.
Speaker 2: You know why they didn't do it in twenty thirteen. No, because Benedict resigned, he didn't die. They did take his ring, but instead it was simply defaced by chopping a cross into it with a chisel.
Speaker 3: They didn't actually destroy it.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's unnecessary to destroy the ring. I understanding destroying the thing that you signed off letters and documents with your seal so that no one can use it again.
Speaker 2: Perhaps I think the ring would be used in a similar manner, though he would do this, He would.
Speaker 3: Go, Oh, is that right? That's pretty cool. Yeah, so I think that's why they did that.
Speaker 1: Did you ever see yourself being one of those guys that wears a chunky ring that's not your aura ring.
Speaker 2: I have a ring that I keep it a jewelry box that my brother in law gave to me when I was a senior in high school. Oh really yeah, he was a jeweler and he gave me a ring that it had a G on it and I had a big diamond on it. Oh cool, it's very cool. Big for me, Like I mean it physically, it was too big for my finger it fit. How does it fit now?
Speaker 3: It fits on one of my thumbs? Probably? Oh really? Yeah, it was is a big ring. You were fat fingered as a child, No, No, I didn't.
Speaker 2: I wasn't fat fingers, and I don't feel like my fingers have grown much.
Speaker 1: So somebody went to the jewelry shop to pawn their dead uncle's ring and it had a G on it, and he thought of you and was like, I'll.
Speaker 3: Give this to Gary. Sure, I took it. I like that guy had fat fingers. Whoever Uncle G was? Yeah, fat fingered Uncle G. That's cool. I like that, so I still have that.
Speaker 2: It's in my it's in my drawer and my little I don't if i'd call it a jewelry box. I have a box. That's the only piece of jewelry that's in there. No, I have a tie clip in there too. What Scottish terrier tie clip?
Speaker 3: I was going to say, is there significance to the tie clip? Friend, mine gave me a tie clip? Oh, your wife didn't give you that tie clip. I don't wear ties. Oh? Interesting? Why?
Speaker 2: Why is it interesting that I think exact words?
Speaker 1: Well, it's interesting because I don't think I've seen a tie clip for a long time. It's kind of one of those things that's that you don't see anymore.
Speaker 2: I think the last time I wore it was when I officiated a wedding. Yeah, I think I think that'd be the last time, because I didn't wear suits to my to my parents' funerals.
Speaker 3: Is Is it just.
Speaker 1: To hold it back if you're eating or something like so it doesn't slip into whatever.
Speaker 3: That's what it does.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that was the purpose of it originally, as opposed to being sort of a.
Speaker 3: Just a piece of jewelry. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I was rewatching Shawshank Redemption over the weekend as one does, as I do, and Morgan Freeman's there, you know, I don't want to ruin the ending, but he's trapes him through a field in a.
Speaker 3: Full suit and they do friends.
Speaker 1: And that's what you did. You wore a suit everywhere all the time. So that's why you needed a tie clip. Nowadays, you are a suit. It's an event. You're probably not going to be eat something happen. Yeah, something happened.
Speaker 2: If you're wearing a suit, something happened, right, Or some people wear them.
Speaker 3: To go to work, people with you know jobs, Yeah, that happens. This story.
Speaker 2: We'll get into this here for a second, and we'll get into the grandpa stuff in a moment.
Speaker 3: Grandpa and grandma.
Speaker 2: But the birds and the bees talk might be happening a little too late for many a kid's a new poll from the Michigan Health Mott Children's Hospital on Children's Health. The Poll on Children's Health said that early discussions about puberty can help parents present information appropriately for their child's age and prepare them for upcoming body changes, preventing unnecessary confusion or anxiety.
Speaker 3: My parents never did that.
Speaker 2: We had the sex ed talk in school that we could opt in or opt out of, but my parents never sat me down and said anything about any of.
Speaker 3: That, saying, say, my mom taught sex said.
Speaker 2: I was in college before the topic came up. Yeah, there's a lot I did not know that. I still tell my mother about.
Speaker 3: You're to say that you still don't know. I'm like, you never told me this, she I mean, my mom.
Speaker 1: Was the person who came into my Catholic school and taught the priest taught the boys, because that makes freaking sense. And my mother came in and taught through through like sixth, seventh and eighth grade. The girls in my in my class, did.
Speaker 2: They do it once a year? I mean, yeah, it wasn't just a one time and she was.
Speaker 3: Great at it. But there was stuff she left out. Well, there's stuff that's that that that you know you don't learn.
Speaker 2: Well, let us know what it is that you have told your kids, or when did you even start.
Speaker 3: Or how did it even come up. Everybody's got fun stories about how it even came up. I will do that.
Speaker 1: You don't need to do a how to manual, but just a know of the science parts of it.
Speaker 2: And listen, some of it is better discovered on your own. I would say that sometimes sometimes sometimes that's and that's probably one of the difficult exercises when you're doing that is my wife and I have to figure out, well, how much do you say because there's stuff that's gross, and there's stuff that's funny, and then there's stuff that's exciting.
Speaker 3: And then they're like, which ones do you sell?
Speaker 1: Which I mean, there's there's some stuff like the rudimentary stuff you probably want to let them know.
Speaker 3: And then the others to choose your own.
Speaker 2: Adventures slot be like simple stuff interesting, you know the basics how it goes, but not like if you're on the street looking forward, how much should you bargain for this or for that?
Speaker 3: I mean that kind of stuff. You didn't teach us on how to get a hooker.
Speaker 2: I just figured that's one of those that's best left up to the adventure of the moment.
Speaker 1: Just give them a lot of compliments. No one have to pay implement to pay for it.
Speaker 3: Compliments. The compliments do not fly in Vegas. Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 1: No, I mean, if you compliment a woman enough you don't have to buy a hooker.
Speaker 3: That's the worst advice. Elmer's nodding because he knows I'm right. Gary and Shannon will continue in just a moment.
Speaker 2: Let us know on the talkback feature on the iHeart app what your sex talk with the kids was like.
Speaker 3: And we'll do that again next hour.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: That's not a great example. That's not a great example. Well, I mean it's also a perfect example, but.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's Hey, we're talking about the economy, and you mentioned this a little earlier, but I saw another article about this today. Salon owners beauty professionals across the country have said they are seeing the red flag early warning signs about a downturn in the economy. Fewer trips to the salon, trips to the song. They said, a trip to the salon one of the one of the first discretionary purchases to go. They don't entirely stop getting their hair cut, for example, but they may just go get their hair cut and not coloring style, maybe not the highlights, or they stretch the time out between appointments. They start doing some of their beauty maintenance at home.
Speaker 1: I hope women don't don't stop getting those extensions, because where will we be as a people.
Speaker 3: You don't have extensions, No, God.
Speaker 1: If these were, if my hair was extensions, you should go get your mind.
Speaker 3: Yeah it's not. It's true.
Speaker 1: Hair is awful, But like, uh, you know, the the well the people, the extensions crowd can afford all of the care.
Speaker 3: Probably they are a different income bracket.
Speaker 2: Runways a lot longer, Yeah, before they have to probably before they have to pull up.
Speaker 3: A quick note.
Speaker 2: Kings blew that four goal lead before they hung on to beat the Edmundton Oilers six to five last night. Did you hear the national anthem that they did before the Kings game yesterday?
Speaker 3: Tell me mar.
Speaker 2: Harmonica's Harmonica's just like Andy duframe, This is the city of Angels, this is Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: Is a harmonica a Canadian thing?
Speaker 2: No? I mean they have harmonica's in Canadia, yes, but it's not a Canadian thing. And why would they use the Canadian instrument to play the American national It just sounded weird and I've never heard harmonicas do a national anthem.
Speaker 1: Well, it's it's out of the box. You know, it's something different. You gotta I like different. That's fun, right?
Speaker 2: Is that really powering up the crowd before a playoff hockey game?
Speaker 3: Though?
Speaker 1: That's a good point. Oh, No, hockey kinda brings its own juice, doesn't it.
Speaker 3: It does.
Speaker 1: It's kind of the only it doesn't. It's violent enough. There's enough testosterone on the ice. I think where you can do a harmonica situation pre game.
Speaker 2: I suppose a new study we're doing a lot of studies in this segment.
Speaker 3: Studying dong with these studies.
Speaker 2: Found this month that American children spend forty nine percent of their waking hours with grandparents. Now, if they're spending the weekend at grandma, grandpa's house or whatever, that's that's the terminology. They're using forty nine percent of their waking hours with grandparents engaged with digital media. Half the time their eyes are open with grandma and grandpa, they are looking at screen.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, in nineteen eighty five, you knew that it was a much slower pace with grandma and grandpa. Even back then, it's just a slower afternoon. It's a slower pace. And now the idea of a slower pace is exponentially slower, isn't it when you are constantly stimulated by your phone. Even a hanging out with your parents is a slower pace. But hanging with your grandparents, I mean that is glacial, and you don't realize that some of the great moments and the great bonding and all the good things and maybe some advice you get or just a tip on how to be come in those slow moments.
Speaker 2: Were some of the greatest memories that I have with my grandparents. My mom's parents lived longer than my dad's parents, and my mom's dad, Grandpa Dickerson, would just go out into the shop.
Speaker 3: That's what he did.
Speaker 2: There was constantly working on something or this engine or that car or something constantly. And it wasn't that he was a great conversationalist, but he always talked about what he was doing, and he would always point out, Now, the reason they called this one a crescent wrench is because of this, and the reason and they call this an adjustable wrench is because of this. And this is what needlenosed pliers are. Don't get those confused with the other needlenosed pliers that are long neck needlenose pliers. I mean constantly talked about what was going on with whatever he was fixing and learned. So, I mean, I don't know how much of it stuck, but learn so much of the basics of problem solving, mechanics, engines, all of that stuff from just sitting there and just being next to him. Not that he was going to ask me to do it, or you do it now. I fixed this, I tore apart this V six engine, you do it now. None of that stuff, but just the knowledge that he had that he would tell us, myself and my cousins.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just because.
Speaker 1: He had the time to tell you things like that. He wasn't your dad, who was probably you know, working and providing for a family and all the things. And it's grandparents have the time to to explain needle those.
Speaker 3: Fliers to you.
Speaker 2: And in many cases most cases it's not like you said, they're not busy with the everyday parenting issues.
Speaker 3: So if I went to go see Grandma on.
Speaker 2: Grandpa is because it was a special occasion, or if they came to our house, it was because my parents were on vacation, so they it was a more relaxed, right opportunity for that kind of stuff to happen. But the idea that that fifty percent basically of awaking hours spent with grandparents are now spent on TV or playing video games or scrolling through your apps. My wife has said multiple times she can't wait for grandkids like it's going to be. She loves babies and kids, she loves it. I the sadness I would feel if her grandkid wanted to look at a phone rather than play with, be with cook with, spend time with grandma heartbreak.
Speaker 3: I mean that would just be so it would sucks.
Speaker 1: Like you would slap that phone out of that kid's hands so quick?
Speaker 3: Are you kidding the phone for me to slap it out of his hand?
Speaker 1: It's just there would be a different set of rules a grandparents. And even even if are you gonna go by grandpa or are you gonna go by like like.
Speaker 3: Google bear big g old old g old G. I don't just say O G okay o g that's cool, that's cool.
Speaker 2: Stumble onto something there, taking that note, taking that note down.
Speaker 3: I want my great kids to.
Speaker 1: Throw me great gangstuff O G Gary on the grandpa.
Speaker 2: The study said that there's four main strategies that grandparents can use to manage their grandkids media consumption supervision, which is simply looking over their shoulder. Kids, Where does that restrictive mediation, which is to set firm rules? Okay, instructive mediation hit the kids. Kids co viewing, which is watching together only if it's a sporting event.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, my grandma and I watched a lot of forty nine er football together.
Speaker 3: My grandma and she would yell at the TV constantly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was the one who always kept score with a pad and the game she would score the game freaking dixick. And she didn't trust those guys. Why what times they get it wrong? Why would she? Howard Cosell was a mess, but.
Speaker 3: Only sporting events. I think I would watch with them. Those guys were drinking in the booth.
Speaker 2: I'm watching Valley or whatever the stupid show you guys are watching.
Speaker 3: Ranch Ransom, Can Ransom? Can you watch your freaking mouth?
Speaker 2: Even if I was taking my kid grandkid to a restaurant and they were used to having that stupid and I hate people who do it, and I don't care who's listening. I hate it when there's a kid on the phone at the table.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you oh, yeah, if you.
Speaker 2: Are going to take your kid to the table to a restaurant, teach them to behave in a restaurant without the giant big brain pacifier that is a stupid loud phone.
Speaker 3: My grandmam to engage with them.
Speaker 1: Anna May taught me how to gamble before before my dad did. And she would say, let's bet a dollar on the football game. And she'd say who are you going to take? And I'd say, and she'd say, I want to take the forty nine ers, just a straight bet, and I want to take the forty nine I should be like, okay, Shan, I'll let you take the forty nine ers. And this was the conversation we would have over and over again, and we always bet a dollar. I'd get the dollar whether the forty niners one or not. But she was a big Joe Montana person, so she taught you to lose, yeah and make a profit.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And did you ever have to put up the dollar?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Like, did she put up a dollar and you put up a dollar magically go oh look here's a dollar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, you bet. She would say, Paw, get me a dollar, paw, and anime. Yeah, that's how it went. That's pretty great.
Speaker 2: We'll do our trending stories, we've got our crucial timing for the sex talk with the parents, and then, of course, our True Crime Tuesday is coming.
Speaker 3: Up with this sex top Tuesday. Gary and Shannon will continue right after this. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.