Speaker 1: Thursday afternoon. It's about seven minutes past the hour of two o'clock. It is rainy, it is cold. We are in the midst of the beginning of one of the biggest snowstorms that we've had all year up in the mountains. It's gonna be rainy and cold pretty much all day today and we'll see what happens over the weekend. It is Utah in March, so you never know how this is gonna go in for some snow coming up tomorrow on Friday and very chilly Saturday. It looks like it's gonna warm up potentially on Sunday and Monday, and then drop back down in the thirties next week. It's called March in Utah. It's just the deal. But as it is every single day, it's good to have you along for the ride. Sptch check, it's me out the mic. We are out and about today Port Larson back in our downtown Salt Lake City Broadway Media Studios. Today we are at Tim Dally Auto in Murray. It's forty five forty five South State Streets and let me give you some advice. Put that in your GPS and follow it. Don't get cute. I went to three different stops before I finally landed here. So Tim used out of Martin Murray at forty five forty five South and Main Street. Huge selection of EV and hybrid vehicles that qualify for a new incentive. So in case you didn't hear this, it is a brand new thing. Legislation was introduced recently. They could save you thousands. Senate Bill five four one will eliminate the used vehicle tax incentive, which is up to four thousand dollars. So here at Tim Dally out of Martin Murray at forty five forty five South in Maine. They have a huge selection of EV and hybrid vehicles that qualify for this incentive. Excuse me, still fighting the whole thing that we've been fighting all weeks. So we're gonna see if we can get through another four hours show today. So this is your chance to save up to four thousand dollars on Tesla's, on Audi's, BMW's kias and more time is running out, so come on by and see if you qualify. That's step number one, forty five forty five South Main Street here in Murray, our good friends, Tim Dolly, we have bounced around their different locations, so this is a new location for us. It's the Dolly used Atta mart In Murray at forty five forty five South Main Street. Come on buy and see if you can save up to four grand on any of these ev Or electric vehicles, Tesla's, Audi's, BMW's keys and more. So come on by be here until six o'clock tonight. We would love to meet you and say hello. All right, we have got a busy, jam packed show today with a lot of topics to get to. BYU with a very, very impressive win earlier this morning. Did you miss it? Did you know that the game was being played? I believe it tipped off at ten thirty Mountain time. BYU ran into a little good fortune as Iowa State found themselves a little bit banged up today. They were without Keyshawn Gilbert, who's their second leading scorer, and they were without the Lipsey kid, who's a two time All Big twelve point guard. So you could say two of their three best players did not play, So BYU a little fortunate to run into a short handed Iowa State team. But it was a high level basketball game. It was a high level basketball game played by both teams, and VYU most likely will advance to play Houston, but Colorado might have some different ideas. Now, I would be surprised if this holds up, but Colorado is hanging in against Houston right now. Houston has a thirty eight to thirty three halftime lead over Colorado. We'll see what the second half brings. There's a bevy of college basketball action going on right now. We will keep you up to date throughout the course of the show today. One of the big pieces of news that came down a little bit earlier is Cooper Flag left Duke's game with a It looked the replays look horrible, not gonna lie. But Duke beat Georgia Tech today seventy eight to seventy. They pulled away in the second half after Tech had a halftime lead and Cooper Flag sprained his ankle and upon replay it looked like it was gonna be really bad. Excuse me, John Shire, the Duke head coach, came out and said, the rays are negative, so hopefully Cooper Flag's gonna be okay. Then we'll keep you up to date on all the basketball going on right now. As it is the madness of march on the Big twelve side of things. Like I said, Houston has a thirty eight to thirty three halftime lead over Colorado and the winner of that game will of dance on to play byu Utah Jazz with another loss last night, stop me if you've heard me before. And yes, they competed, they played hard, all the cute things were supposed to say. But they lost again. They've lost nine of their last ten. They've lost seven straight games. Grizzlies got them last night, one twenty two to one fifteen. The Jazz were actually up one fifteen to one fourteen, and then the Grizzly scored the final eight points of the game and the Jazz move on to yet another loss. Some more information has emerged about that one hundred thousand dollars fine that the Jazz were handed yesterday for not playing lowry marketing for nine straight games, and Jazz have lost of ten, so of course sitting marketing to help them achieve their goal of playing pathetic basketball and continuing to lose. But some more information about how it all came down and then what could happen next if they continue to try to kind of play with this rule that the league implemented back in twenty ten as a result of Greg Popovich and the San Antonio Spurs constantly sitting their stars. So we'll get to some of that. The NFL free agency news is kind of quieted down a little bit today, but we do know which Utah football players will be participating in Big twelve NFL Day coming up March eighteen through the twenty first, So we do have that list. We'll bring that to you, and there's one name on the list that a little bit disappointing if it means what I think it means, and we'll get to that list coming up a little bit. Utah Hockey Club was able to get a win last night again against the Ducks. They're going to take on the Kraken coming up tomorrow at eight o'clock Mountain time. That game is up in Seattle, so Utah Hockey Club trying to hang in that wildcard race. RSL on the road coming up this weekend at Houston, a road tilt for RSL after a really really bad start to the season. And then Utah State in action tonight Mountain West tournament style against a really really good, upstart Vegas team. You know, if he's played a lot better as of late. Utah States the favorite, but we'll see what they're able to do tonight. So a lot of local stuff going on on the basketball side, on the hockey side, little pro football with free agency and the draft on the way, Little college football with Big twelve Pro Day, Big twelve NFL Pro Day coming up in just about a week and a half, and several youth players will be represented, so we'll bring you that list coming up in a little bit. The latest on the Alex Jensen to Utah storyline and is Alex getting closer to filling out his staff? Is Andre Miller high speed ahead to coming back to Salt Lake to coach next to Alex Jensen. We'll bring you the latest with that. And then Aaron Rodgers apparently debating between the Steelers and the Giants. So jam Pack Show on this Thursday afternoon, as we're live today with our good friends at Tim Dally. It's the used car portion of their operation, Tim Dallyadle Martin Murray. It's forty five forty five South Main Street. Come on by and check out if you're eligible for this four thousand dollars used car tax credit. They'll help you understand if that's part of the deal, and if you are, you can save four grand on a Tesla, you can save four grand on a BMW or an Audi. And we have Sportsman's Expo passes. I don't know what this is, but you guys can go for free the International Sportsman's Expo. It's coming up at the Mountain America Expo Center March twentieth through the twenty third, and we've got a bunch of four packs of passes. So if you know what it is and you're excited about it, you can come out out and I'll just hand it to you and give you a high five, free high fives all day. How about that? Putting that on the table, all right. Our first guest right out of the gates will be Tony Jones. Tony covers the jazz in the NBA for the athletic He does do a lot of draft stuff. And when Tony joined us a couple of weeks ago, it was the day that Mark Carlin had announced that he had relieved Craig Smith of his duties, and Tony was one of the first who said, this has got to go to alex He's got to go to Alex Jensen. So we're bringing Tony today now that the news is official. We'll talk Alex Jensen of the Utes, and we will also get Tony's take on some of these young prospects that you guys can watch during March Madness to get a little bit more familiar as to why the Jazz are just doing what they're doing, which is unseeriously about winning to try to get a good pick. After Tony stops by, the last time we had Josh Grant on the show, our guy was very salient, He was very poignant, he was very honest. And now that Josh got his wish that Alex Jensen is high speed ahead to coach the Utes, what does he have to say today? He joins us after Tony stops by behind the Glass segment that we do every single week to talk some Utah Hockey Club and some many with Neil Smith, and then NBA Daily Assist style with one of the celebrity reporters that joins our show on a regular basis. He is Dave mcminnimon on a Thursday afternoon and talks some NBA kind of a lighter night in the NBA tonight last night, a couple of really fun games. OKC beat Boston and TD Garden and the Celtics did not play Christaps Porzingis, so we've got to kind of keep that in mind. But only five games in the NBA tonight, and that's really odd for a mid March tilt. The Lakers are in action, so we'll get with Dave about the latest. In Los Angeles. They're going to take on the Bucks, which should be a good game, and then Sacramento Golden State is your late game. Turner Sports has the double dip tonight, so at least we get a little inside the NBA. All right, Tony Jones, Josh Grant, Neil Smith, Dave Mcminnimon Me Spence. Check its live today out here with our friends at Tim Dolly. So come on buye and say what's up. See if you qualify for that four thousand dollars used car savings. It is forty five forty five South Main Street. We also have free Sportsmith Expo passes for you just for stopping by and saying hi. And that's how I just put on the table high fives all day for free. Come on by forty five forty five South Main Street with Tony Jones, with Josh Grant, with Neil Smith, with Dave McManamon, with Me Spence check ats all of you, the great listeners, And about a twenty five minute drive from where we find ourselves in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah, is where we find the producer of this program, Porta Larson, on a rainy, chili cold Thursday afternoon. All right, how much of the madness? Like, if you want to, you can wake up, do the coffee thing, do the breakfast brito thing, and you can start watching hoops early. How early do you start watching the madness this time of year when it's conference championship?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I tried to. I try to get all the games in as far as as conference and the NCAA Tournament goes.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Of course some of them are are going to overlap, a little bit, but pretty much the second my eyes crack open, man, if there's conference basketball, if there's postseason basketball on the college or the pro side, it's going to be at least up and on the television in some form. So yeah, I've been dialed in tightly. And of course we had the early tip off with BYU and Action this morning. In the late late one with Utah State tonight the nightcapper, So it's literally Spence from like nine am to midnight if you're a fan of local college hoops tonight and hopefully, hey, maybe a few tickets punched to the Big Dance as.
Speaker 1: Well BYU is really good man. They are playing high level basketball. That was a fun game this morning. Tony Jones will be our first guest right out of the gates today on a Thursday, forty five South Main Street with our good friends out here at Tim Dolly. But before we get to Tony, courtesy of our good friends at Prize Picks, on a Thursday afternoon, it's time now for your opening tip.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the Drive with Spence. Check its on Utah's number one sports talk. Now into the studios of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show. The opening tip of the Drive is brought to you by Prize Picks. Use the code ESPN seven hundred and run your game with Prize Picks.
Speaker 1: Let's go back to the studio where Porter Larsen is an expert on exactly what the International Sportsman's Expo is. So Porter informed the masses of what they can get when they come out here with these free passes I have in my hand.
Speaker 2: The International Sportsman's ex Expo SPENCE is formally known as like the Hunting expos. It's a hunting, fishing, outdoor overlanding stuff. I'm sure a little bit camping whatnot. So if you like being outside and like being cold and shooting guns, that's probably your crowd studying that.
Speaker 1: I didn't know what it was. I do like to fish, but I'll leave that there, all right. Come on, buy and grab some passes free high fives. Prize Picks are good friends best place to get real money sports action. With over ten million members and billions of dollars in awarded winnings, Prize Picks is made daily fantasy sports accessible to all. You just pick more or less on at least two players for a shot to one up to one thousand times you cash. You can run your game all season long on prize Picks, so ultimately, just go get their free money. Try it and see if you like it. It's the easiest way to put a little action on sports if you've been looking to do that, because you don't have to learn much about the spread or the over under or the money line. This is easy. We'll use the Jazz Grizzlies game last night. Okay, so you predict to two player staff projections. So Lowry Marketing played last night, Lowry Marketing more or less than nineteen point five points. On the other side, you know, Zach Eady more or less than two point five blocks, something like that. It's very easy to do. You can do it during basketball season, baseball season, football season. So download the Prize Picks app today. Use the promo code ESPN seven hundred to check out, and you get fifty dollars when you play your first five dollars bet. You don't even need to win that bet, They're just giving your free cash. So download that Prize Picks app app today. Use that promo code ESPN seven hundred to get fifty bucks when you play your first five dollar bet. All right, BYU and Iowa State this morning played a terrific basketball game. It was high level shot making in the first half. I was could not miss and BYU did a great job just to hang in because Curtis Jones was out of his mind. Now, Iowa State it was announced about I don't know two hours before tip that they were going to be without their second leading scorer in Keithshwan Gilbert and a two time All Big Twelve point guard, and Tami and Lipsei both those players sat. They're probably two of Iowa State's three best players, so Brigham Young with a little bit of good fortune, Iowa State essentially only played seven dudes. The Damerian Watson kid got five minutes, but Iowa State was unconscious in the first half, putting up fifty three, and Byu just kind of held the fork down and waited for their shot making to kind of manifest. Richie Saunders is playing his way into the conversation as the Big twelve Player of the year, and that's not hyperbolic. Richie was great, he was patient, He had twenty three points, he had five assists, and he kind of let the game. What I love about Richie is he doesn't force anything. He takes what the defense gives him. He's he's got good size for a shooting guard. He can elevate as a jump shooter, and he can get to the ten and finish with force, and he can guard two or three positions. I now believe Richie Saunders is an NBA player. I don't think I believe that to start the year. That had a really nice game from Kaba Cato who had ten boards and he had four offensive rebounds, four of eight from the floor, nine points, a couple of cadd dunks, as you would expect. Trevin Nell hit all four of his three point shots. Good to have some shot making that direction. I'll tell you what though, Jegor Demon continues to struggle against pressure, and it's a good thing Byu has Dollon Hall as his backup because Byu had ten turnovers the entire game. Demon had four of them, and those four turnovers came in the first portion of the first half when I always stayed was intentionally pressuring him. I have to wonder if moving forward, because more likely than not, we'll keep you up to date on the game that's going on. BYU is about to play Houston in the semi finals. That game right now, Houston has a slight lead over Collar thirty eight to thirty three, and you know, my guess is Houston's gonna run away from them in the second half. We'll kind of keep you up to date there, but BYU is gonna most likely play Houston in the semi finals, and if they're not ready for that pressure. Like if Jeger is not ready for that pressure, Dallon's gonna have to play big minutes. Dallen was really good again. In twenty six minutes. He had seven assists and only one turnover. BYU taking care of the basketball last night like they did you know this morning, against a team with that type of pressure with only ten turnovers, to me, is the direct reason they won this basketball game. They made their free throws. They were eighteen of twenty one. They made fifty percent of their three point shots, which is eighteen of thirty six, shot fifty two percent from the floor, but Iowa State splits or nuts. They shot fifty six percent from the floor forty three percent from three. They only shot seven free throws, but they were shooting a lot of three point shots. The rebounding edge went to BYU, but only slightly, thirty one to twenty eight. Brigham Young with twenty four assists, eight steals, four blocks, and only ten turnovers. That was a high quality basketball game, and while Iowa State was short handed, they gave BYU all they wanted. And now you know, we'll have to kind of wait and see it's another quad win for BYU. It's their ninth straight win overall, their fifth straight win over a ranked opponent. Recently two wins over Iowa State, one on the road, one on a neutral site. They dumped Truck Kansas, and they beat Arizona at McHale. This is as good of a BYU team, I think as we've had here since the Ford stuff. I know, the twenty twenty team was good, the team last year was good, but since since Jim Or and that Brandon Davies situation that unfortunately kind of derailed the whole thing, This to me is the most talented BYU basketball team that we've seen in probably eleven or twelve years, if not even more than that. They've got two NBA guys. By the way, kenon catching and Sat today again, I think he's missed six straight games or something. Dawson Baker with some good minutes, four assists, no turnovers, knocked down a three point shot. Stewart came in, played good defense, knocked down a couple of threes. The Boscovi this kid continues to improve as well. He's in double figures ten points, five rebounds, and BYU has a rollin. If you're a BYU fan, get yourself excited. They're playing the right way at the right time of year. And for Utah fans, you look at this stuff and you just go, when are we ever going to get back there? It's been since twenty sixteen since Utah has made the NCAA tournament. BYU is a lock to make it, and as they continue to evolve, can they get a top four seed in the tournament? The only time will tell. The latest bracketology still has them on the five line, but BYU marches on to the Big twelve semi finals where they're most likely got to take on Houston, who right now has a forty two to thirty three lead over Colorado. All right, we are live today out here with our good friends at Tim Dolly. We've been at a number of Tim Dolly locations, but this one today is a new one for us. It's the Tim Dolly US Dattal mart In Murray at forty five forty five South Main Street, where there's new legislation that could allow you to save up to four thousand dollars on a used vehicle. You have to come in to kind of see if you qualify there, but if you do, ultimately you can save up to four thousand dollars on Tesla's, on Audi's, on BMW's kias and more. So time is running out. Not everybody qualifies, but they're going to help you understand. If you do, I would live today with our good friends at Tim Dolly. We have been at several Tim Dolly locations, excuse me locations. This one's new for us. So come on buy and say hello, see if you qualify for this new four thousand dollars savings on a used car at forty five forty five South Main Street out here in Murray. And also we have free passes for these sportsman's expoke you want to come grab a grip of those, we'll cook you up. That takes place coming up in just a couple of weeks. So come on buy and say what's up? All right? Right out of the gates man Lucky us. First guest on a Thursday afternoon, Tony Jones from the Athletic covers a well these days a number of different things. In fact, Tony, how would you characterize your current role with our friends at the Athletic.
Speaker 4: I'm on award door with like in my hand.
Speaker 1: Like currently, what do you like? Currently? It seems like they're using you in a bunch of different ways. So what's the gig currently, Tony.
Speaker 4: Well, right now I'm with Denver, so I'll be with Denver for the rest of the year. The Jazz are tanking and Philly is.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yes, indeed, yes, indeed. Now, speaking of the Jazz tanking, yesterday during the show, news drops Tony that the Jazz have been fined one hundred thousand dollars directly for sitting lowry marketing, and new information has kind of emerged where you know, he sat nine straight games. There was some inconsistency I suppose on the injury report. I guess some team personnel said some things that the report said other things. I can understand why Jazz fans would be a little a little bit confused, Tony, because every night teams are sitting players. But what are your thoughts on this and have you been able to uncover exactly how this all went down?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean the thoughts on it are who cares? I mean, like, the Jazz have a singular goal in mind, and you know, honestly, if they get anywhere in the top three of this draft, they're going to be fine in terms of getting you know, a dynamic draft prospect. So if they have to incur the six figure fine to do it, and you know, it comes out of all it comes out of Ryan Smith's pockets. I don't want to pocket watch anybody but anything. But you know, my guess is that one hundred thousand dollars to Ryan Smith is not very much money. You know, the end justifies for me in that sense. So you know, I think Jazz fans. I think Jazz fans and frustration stems from this, and you know it's because of the infrastructure of the NBA. You know, how can the Jazz team build right? So it's hard to team build. It's hard to team build fundamentally through free agency because it's hard for a small market light you know, Salt Lake City or or the Jazz no matter how you know good the infrastructure of the team is to attract free agents or elite free agents or elite elite free agents, the kind of free agents that are programmed changing the trade market. At this point, it's hard for the Jazz to put, you know, all of the picks together to trade for let's just say, for for sake of argument, with Luka Dancic or Gianna Santetecunpo or whoever. They tried to trade for Drew Holliday, they tried to trade for Michel Bridges. You know, the politics behind the scenes. You know, Nick's at least one of those trades. And by that trade, I'm talking about the Drew Holiday trade because you know they were right there for Drew Holliday and Drew you know, and they were told that Drew Holliday wants to go to Boston. So it's hard to trade, you know, for elite guys as well. So now you know the jazz of finding out that the one avenue of really getting the guy on the roster is by going through the draft. And you know now that they're doing what they have to do, the good, the bad, the ugly in terms in terms of having to go through the draft. You know, the NBA has stepped in again and you know, find them, you know, one hundred thousand dollars, so you know, by the letter of the law is correct. Larry market and is has a star designation because he made the All Star team in twenty twenty three, so you know he he's not a guy you know by the NBA that designation that you know just can be sitting out games to sit out games, but it's still frustrating on some levels, you know. But like I said, you know, the Jazz will do it, you know, three or four times over again if that means getting Cooper Flag or Dylan Harper.
Speaker 1: So excuse me. A second offense, they'll be fine two hundred and fifty thousand. A third offense is one point two mill and then every offense after that is a million dollars on top of the one point twenty five. So the Jazz got wise pretty quick. About five minutes after the fine was announced, they announced Lowry was playing last night, and then the entire team wore headbands. So I believe that was because of Isaiah. I think I heard Lauren Green say Isaiah Collier took out his braids last night and then he needed to wear a headband, so the entire team decided to do that. I think a lot of people were wondering Tony if they were protesting, but I don't think that was the headband story.
Speaker 4: Right, No, I wasn't a protest. It was definitely it was definitely Isaiah call you thing, you know, Isaiah waterheadband and didn't. And then one of the teammates wore headband. I forget which one, and then everybody just decided to wear a headband. But it was fun watching Kyle Philipowski wear a headband because he's got perfect hair, and you know, to see the hair kind of flying under the headband, you know, as you flying, you know through the lane of dunk, you know, and stuff like that. That was kind of fun as well. And it was kind of fun watching Lowry wear a headband as well.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to picture a young TJ running point back in the day. I'm thinking, like maybe a Bonzie Wells type. Look, were you a headband guy at all back in the day?
Speaker 4: I never want I've never once to my entire basketball career warhead band.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I is that because it didn't look good or you didn't want to.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm too pretty for that. I didn't even know her bath.
Speaker 1: Red Hot Lover Tone makes his reappearance on the Drive on a Thursday. I gotta love that, man, gotta love that, all right. Yeah, I know that we have done this before, but let's revisit it because I think, you know, jazz fans clearly understand the deal, even if they don't like it. They know what the deal is. So let's talk about some of these prospects that the Jazz are hoping to land, and we'll just start at the top now. Cooper Flag left Duke's win today with a sprained ankle. John Shire said, X rays are negative. And I think since you and I last spoke, Tony, Cooper has really separated himself even more. And we'll get to Dylan and Ace and everybody else. But for Jazz fans, they keep hearing the name Cooper Flag as they continue to tank to lose on purpose. What sort of player is he and what would he mean to the Jazz if they can grab him?
Speaker 4: Well, I will say this, he he made a couple of of real He's got a couple of real accomplishments this year. You know, you could still be the number one player in the draft and not be the best college basketball player in the country. Cooper Flag is the best college basketball player in the country by miles and miles and miles and miles and miles. He's had as good a freshman year as any kid that I've seen, uh in the last ten years. I think he's had a better freshman year than than even Zion Williamson did back in twenty eighteen. You know, every so often the kid comes along and it's playing college basketball, and you're looking at that kid and you watch him play and you think to yourself, he's wasting his time playing college basketball. He's too good for this level. And Cooper Flag is too good for this level. He's you know, six foot nine, he can guard, you know, throughout a lineup. His on ball skills have improved exponentially over the season. Over the course of the season, he's you know, figuring out ways to get a shot off. He's playing the spots.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: He affects, you know, a game on almost every and on almost every possession on both ends of the floor. I think that, you know, he's a guy that I that that's going to be a perennial All Star in this league. I think you're going to get him into two NBA spacing. And you know, truthfully, you know, I said this earlier in the college basketball season, and you know, I was kind of flaming for it a little bit on Twitter. But I'll say it again, and I believe it now more than even more than I believe that when I said it in November. He reminds me a ton of Kawhi Leonard. That's who he reminds me of. He reminds me of a young Kawhi Leonard. And and it'll be interesting to see what his journey is because I think that he's a guy that can be a very significant player at the NBA level.
Speaker 1: All right, excuse me, let's kind of go down the list a little bit. If the Jazz do not get the luck that we're all hoping they get and they snag number one, let's say they fall to two. It feels like most of the consensus is Dylan Dylan Harper. He's got a teammate for Rutgers named Ace Bailey, who will get to in a moment. But let's start with your thoughts for Jazz fans. If they don't get Cooper and they fall to number two, do you feel like it's Dylan Harper? And if so, what kind of player is he?
Speaker 4: No, it would definitely be Dylan Harper if the Jazz fall to number two. You know, he's a guy that you know, plays a little bit like Shay gives with Alexander in terms of the pace that he plays at. He you know, he knows angles He's a six or five, six or six left handed point guard, scores it all three levels, really understands the game, you know, uh, from an IQ level at a high level.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: He's the son of Ron Harper. Uh, so we know how Jazz stands still about those Bulls teams, so that that would be fun. But he's you know, like I said, he's left handed. He's a terrific, terrific pick and role player.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: Plays the game in his own pace. You know, it doesn't get sped up, which is really rare for a kid his age, and you know, knows how to to play the angles, and he knows how to play the spots.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: He's a He's a guy that you know, I also think can be a really significant player in this league. I don't think, you know, I think that Cooper flag Is is in his uh on his own island as a prospect in his draft. But I also think that Dylan Harper is also on his own island as the second best prospect of his draft.
Speaker 1: So then we move over to Dylan's teammate. And it's just wild that Rutgers has two of the top three NBA players and they've had a very subpar season. So recently Dylan missed some time, was out for a few games, and so Ace Bailey. In one of the games Dylan was out, Ace put up thirty. And the more and more you watch Ace Bailey, the more and more you like him. And he's all sorts of six'. Ten he's every bit of six.' ten it feels like he's locked in At. Three tony so If the jazz remain where, they are they will be in the. Bottom, three therefore they'll have a fourteen, percent chance like the other, two teams to grab the number one. Overall pick so we've already. Talked one now we move, To two so let's move. To three If the jazz fall, to three do you Feel like ace is? The pick and, if so what sort of prospect does He.
Speaker 4: Could jazz get the? Three pick that that pick will be What the jets do is a lot a lot more ambiguous than what they would do at number one and. NUMBER two i think that if, they obviously if they get, number one they're gonna Get take cooper. Number two i'm ninety percent sure that They'll Take. Dylan harper if they get, NUMBER three i don't know who they're going to TAKE because I think i think that, you know the organization is a lot more torn on a, spelly than, you know than they are on the. First two and, YOU know i would agree with. THE organization i think that there are real positives and negatives towards Taking. As bailey and, you, KNOW truthfully i, really really really really really Like, dj ashkhim the Kid from baylor. As well and, you KNOW so i, think that, you know it would be, you know kind of a photo finish to who would be the number three guy? For Me now i'll say This With. Ace bailey, YOU know i look at, the positives. THE positives i don't think think there's a better shot maker in the draft in, terms of, you know in terms of, contested shots taking, contested shots making. Contested, shots obviously he like, you said he's every bit of six. Or ten he's going to score at some point in. His career he's going to score, twenty five twenty eight points the game over the course of an.
Speaker 5: Entire season.
Speaker 4: So we know that the kid can put the ball in, the basket super athletic for, his size, you know can really get above the rim and play above. The rim and, you KNOW and i think. HE tries i think he, tries DEFENSIVELY and i think, that that's, you know SOMETHING that i like about him. As well the, problem is you know that twenty five to twenty eight points per game that he's going to score at whatever point in, his career whether it, be two, three seasons, three seasons, four seasons it's going to come on forty shooting from, the field and it's going to come on about thirty to thirty two percent shooting from from three. Point range he's never going to be an effishing kid because he takes a ton of, difficult SHOTS and i mean a ton of, difficult shots and he takes a ton of. Bad shots he takes a ton of shots from from eighteen to twenty feet to where he should just, step back uh two or three feet and, take three or he should figure out a way to get into the lane to where his athletics isn't gonna work. For him the problem is that he doesn't handle the ball very well for, his size and you know that's why, you know when you see, social media you see, you know Comparisons To Michael. Porter junior so, you know people. Like that so it's going to be interesting to see how he develops, his game whether he stays the same player as he, is now or whether he figures out a way to become a better player than he. Is now his swing skill for me is going to be his. Ball handling if he can figure out a way to get more dynamic off the dribble to where he can actually start beating people off, the dribble then his efficiency is going to is going to be better. For it the other question for me is whether he's a small forward or whether he's a, shooting guard which is actually a good, thing because like, you said he's six, foot ten, you know so he's not a. Basketball kid he's not a. Shy kid any other thing for me is he never passes the ball like he's he's. Cam whit more like in the fact that, you know he doesn't really passed, the ball. You know so he's got he's got hold real holes in, his game and he's got real, you know positives and negatives to his game to where to where his. Talent level his talent level dictates that he should probably be the third best player in, this draft but there are enough holds in his games to where to where there's a serious question.
Speaker 5: Is that.
Speaker 1: Excuse me one more jazz. Thing tone then we'll move on to your thoughts Now That alex jensen is officially the dead coach Of. The utes Our Friend sarah todd from The desertt news stopped by the show yesterday and she wrote a really, good piece but it was also pretty depressing for. Jazz fans where. Paraphrasing here she described the past three years as a tear down and essentially was implying that the rebuild is really, beginning now if not. Next year and her, assertion IS and i want to see if. You agree Even If lady luck shines on the jazz and they Grab a, cooper flag next year most likely will feel and look a lot like this year did for. Jazz fans what are your thoughts?
Speaker 4: On, that oh she's. Absolutely right you know the, jazz thought, you know and we talked about this earlier in, this conversation you know a little. Bit indirectly, you know the jazz, Were, like okay we have this real collection. Of picks let's make some trades and let's get some significant guys. In here and they found out that they weren't able to do that because, you know there are a lot of politics being played behind. The scenes so, you know you had To Trade, mike conley had to Tread With, leak beasley had to get a lot of the veterans off. The roster there's still a lot of veterans on. The roster john cond is still on. The Roster jordan clarkson is still on. The roster. You know so there's still veterans on. The roster and this is the first year of the rebuild Because the, jazz realized, all right we're just gonna have to do this through. The draft so this is this is, year one and, YOU know i don't even think. IT'S depressing i don't think it's the. Depressing thing what they're doing right now is putting themselves in position to get the best player in. The draft and whatever happens with those, lottery balls whether They get COOPER flag dj Ask Them, Eighth Barey, dylan, harper Whoever Kan, kin, Nipple Whoever, trey, johnson whoever they should one hundred turn around to do the exact same thing.
Speaker 5: Next year.
Speaker 4: And that is because next year's draft class is one of the best draft classes at the top of the DRAFT that i have. Ever seen You Have. Daron peterson You, have ajdabansa and you have and You Have, cameron boozer and You Have. Kareem lopez you have four guys that project as franchise guys in. This draft there's one Guy That's. Cooper flat there are four guys in next year's draft that project projected as as potential. Franchise GUYS and i think That the jazz should figure out a way to get whoever they can in this, year's draft and then figure out a way to get one of those four guys in next, year's draft and then go try to be good because you'll have, you know two potentially really dynamic guys on the roster That the jazz have figured out that the only way for them to get the guy onto, the roster like the, guy guy is to do it through. The draft and they have a golden opportunity to get two of. Those guys, You know so whatever happens with this, year's draft it is my belief that they should turn around and do the exact same thing next year and get one of those guys in the twenty sixth draft, and then, you know, whatever happens, go ahead, be good be good. Right away maybe, you know here's. The thing maybe They Get. Cooper flag and if You Have cooper Flag And walk Kessler and lowry, market in, you know maybe you're good. Right away, you know my my suspicion is you're probably not good right AWAY because i think that there's the roster really needs some. Guard play and if there's guard PLAY that i don't think that's currently on. The roster but, you know you could do a lot worse as a front court AT the nba Level Than, Cooper Flag, Walker kessler lowry. Marketing In and i'm Gonna Throw kyle philipowski in there too, as WELL because i think that he's a, terrific talent. You, know so but if, you can if You're, the jazz you should go and get trying to get one of those four guys in the twenty sixth draft.
Speaker 1: As well, all right moving over now to the news that YOU and i discussed a couple of, weeks Ago and i've said it on the show a. Few times You Dropped alex jensen's name the Day that craig decided to move on or cheat Me that mark decided to move On From. Craig smith and now. It's Reality, alex jensen the seventeenth head Coach in utah men's. Basketball, history tony what's your reaction and how do you think he's going to go about filling out? That, BENCH.
Speaker 4: Yeah I mean i, think that, YOU know i think that the the you needed to, you know it's so cliche about winning the, press conference but in, THIS sense i really think that they needed to hire somebody that was going to win the. Press Conference And alex jensen is going to win the. Press conference now we'll see what happens after he wins the, press conference but he's certainly going to win the. Press conference and the REASON why i say this, is because, you know that program needs somebody at the top of it that every that that, has belief real belief you know within the, fan base real belief from, the players real belief from, the administration and real belief from the people who write. The checks and, you know one of the biggest Reasons Why craig smith is no. Longer HERE and i think that he is a. Terrific COACH and i still think he's a. TERRIFIC coach i thought he was Terrific At. UTAH state i think he's really good at the actual. Coaching part but one of the reasons why he is no longer here is because he lost belief within the people who write, the Checks and alex is going to have.
Speaker 5: That belief.
Speaker 4: Is my belief that, You know, alex is, you know one of the best player development guys that You know. I'VE seen i saw Him work Wonders With. RUDY gobert i Saw worked Wonders in Dallas With. Derek lively, you know he's really he really knows hows has developed the guys that he, works with whether they, be bigs whether whether. OR not, I mean i know that he gets a lot of credit for for, developing bigs but, you know big aren't the only people that he's that he's developed over over his time as. A, coach so, YOU know i think that he's definitely had that going. For him, you know what he has, to do in my eyes, to me is figure out a way to gain a foothold on the local. RECRUITING scene i think the State, of utah the class of twenty twenty six is probably one of the best high school classes in the last twenty years to come out in, this state particularly. Among guards, you KNOW so i think that he's got to get a foothold on, the local on the. Local guys and, you know we'll see how he. Fills out we'll see how he fills out. His STAFF and i believe that he's going to have a lot of nil money to go after. Real DUKES and i think that he's going to go after real dudes because he's going to have the ammunition financially to be able to.
Speaker 1: Do so, all right tell him last Thing and i'll set. YOU loose byu little bit fortunate today to Run Into, iowa state who was without two of their three best Players In Keith shawn gilbert And the Tammy and. Lipsei kid he's Been all big. Twelve twice that was a high level. Basketball Game and BYU's now won. Ninth straight they've got Wins, Over, arizona McHale they Dump trucked Kansas, and provo and They Beat iowa. State twice this to me is THE best byu Team that i've seen play Since the. Furdet stuff and when you look at the roster top, TO bottom i think this roster is more talented than Any team dave Had when jimmer. Was here that's. My opinion what is their ceiling as they continue to play like this looks like they're going to Run in houston IN. THE semis i don't know that they can get past the, five line but they continue to. Play well so your thoughts on what You Think brigham young can do come. Tournament time.
Speaker 4: So that twenty eleven team would have gone to the. Final Four Have brandon davis been not been suspended or what was? He suspended or was? He inevitable?
Speaker 1: He was he was he was encouraged to take some time off after a honor code violation. WAS uncovered I think i'll leave.
Speaker 4: It, There yeah i'm still kind of heated. About that.
Speaker 1: For sure, it's wild but, you know that's the gal.
Speaker 4: DOWN there i knew that kid really well from covering high Schools And brandon david was one of the. Best guys well he's not a, kid anymore but you know he's he's. Terrific, PERSON anyway. I digress that team would have gone to the final four in, my Opinion have brandon, BEEN there i would say that THIS is i don't know IF it's i don't know if it's the most talented team at. The top because that twenty eleven Team had Gimmer. AND brandon, i mean those are two, you know long, time pros. You know, but THIS this dye team right now is certainly the deepest Team that i've seen in the, most balanced, you know and it's a two, way team by, the way like it's, you know A lot there are a lot OF d. Yu teams, you know they put the ball in, the basket but they can't defend you. Or me this. Team defends this team is more athletic than. They look i'm sorry to, be cliche but they're tough. As, Hell uh, they're nasty. You know uh they, you know they have bookend the booking bigs Inside with Trori And Cada. Gallum hall. You know, You know i've loved him since he Was at freemont as. A, player uh he's, one of, you know My favorite he's one of my favorite players in. COLLEGE basketball i don't think he's one of the best players in, college BASKETBALL but i think he's one of. My favorites and, you, Know Quietly, richie saunders, TO me i think is playing himself into having a chance to play IN the nba in. Some capacity. You know so, you know they have a lot. Of guys, You know i'm really impressed with the Developments Of trey stewart uh into, you know a, key guy. Especially defensively he has some big, Plays. Today, TREVOR now, i mean they just have guy after guy, after guy and, you KNOW and i think. IT'S good i don't think that their matchup proof in the IN the, ncaa tournament so, You know i'd like to see what. Their DRAWS but i do think that if they get the, correct draw they can go a long way in. THE tournament i STILL have ptsd from, you know them going out in the first round. LAST year i do think that they're a, lot better uh this time around than they were. Last YEAR and i don't think that they're going to go out in the. First round but, You know i'll, SAY this i think that they're one of the most dangerous teams in. The COUNTRY and i would not be shocked if They beat.
Speaker 1: Houston tomorrow who predicting a Win. Against houston that's something, that's uh that's, that's, tough man but.
Speaker 5: Be shocked.
Speaker 1: Just, now, look man there they deserve all the credit in. The world they played. Really Well tom thanks for, the. TIME brother i misbeable, the CLOCK so i gotta set, you loose but let's catch. Up, Soon, okay, yes sir.
Speaker 4: Appreciate You tony jones does.
Speaker 1: A number of things for. The athletic when the jazz, are interesting he covers. The jazz, right now he's Covering the nuggets on. Location today were our good Friends At. Tim dolly it's their used car side. Of things we've been at Several Different tim. Dolly locations this one's new for. Us though it's forty five Forty Five South. Main street, trust me put that IN your gps and. Follow it don't try to. Get cute you'll get LOST like i did forty five Forty Five South main street Here In Salt. Lake city. All right our next guest one of the best to ever do it At the University. Of utah on the, Basketball Side josh grant joined us not too, long Ago, And josh i've got a lead off with whether or not you got as much feedback about your interview on this SHOW as.
Speaker 6: I did i actually did get a lot, of feedback and a lot of people are we're really excited about the direction of. College basketball, BUT truly i really appreciate you having me back on AGAIN so i can kind of clear my name from that massacre that came at the Hands Of. BRITTAIN johnson.
Speaker 1: I was i was Wondering if brit, YOU know, i mean, you know britt he's tongue in cheek and obviously he was being a little. Bit FACETIOUS but i, was wondering if You heard brit go at you a, little bit so the floor, Is yours josh go?
Speaker 6: At him HOW can i not hear? That guy he's.
Speaker 5: So, LOUD no i mean He's not and talked about how we're such. Good.
Speaker 6: Friends man the old adage is of friends.
Speaker 5: Like that who?
Speaker 4: Needs enemies, but no he's.
Speaker 6: A character he's a funny guy and we have. Been friends, he's been, you know busting my CHOP since i dated his sister when he was, about FIVE and i think he WAS a byu fan at. The time, but no he's a, good guy a. Good friend he just has, no filter even you know His brother JEFF as i was, texting him what the heck is your brother saying? About Me and jeff even, said that, you know he's a. Loose cannon nobody can, control him so you just got to take it for what.
Speaker 4: It is he's.
Speaker 6: A GOOFBALL but i do have ONE thing i have to say, about him when he was Talking about alex being a coach on the floor and he Would grab britt by the jersey and scream in. His face it's not Totally because alex is. A coach It's because alex Knew that britton did not even listen to what coach had just said in the time out or in the whole week, of preparation and so he was trying to make sure he was at the right place at the. Right time britain has a. LITTLE adhd i think he can't really concentrate.
Speaker 1: That well we got a little ute Legend On Nute legend crime Here With josh Grant And. Britton johnson, But, nonetheless josh your wish has, been GRANTED and i will give you the credit because you were the FIRST guests i had on the show who said this job should Go. To alex so now that it, IS official i just want to know your reaction and if you could share with us the reaction of people that kind of live in your cul, de sac in. Your community how are people feeling?
Speaker 6: ABOUT it i think that first, OF all i was so HAPPY when i Finally, heard okay it's a. Done deal there's always going to be some bumps in the road and some concerns and things. Like that BUT once i heard that the contract's, been signed. EVERYTHING'S good i was. A static i Think that alex is going to do such a. GOOD job i think he's just such a good person and that good. Thoughtful person he's going to be the same way as. A coach he's going to get the most out of, his players he's going to, recruit intelligently and he's going to build a. Culture HERE and i firmly believe that all those Things that i've just mentioned are in a spreadsheet in, his head and each, one has, you know each cell is filled with an idea of how he thinks it. Will work he's just very thorough and just, very thoughtful And so i'm. Very PLEASED and i think the whole community is People that i've, talked to there's just an Air In Salt lake city And in utdom that people are just. Really excited for the. FIRST time i haven't seen people this excited for a really. LONG time i mean it's been it's really been twenty years that people as a whole have just been really excited about what's going to happen in the potential of what is in.
Speaker 1: The future are you excuse me finding a little sign of, Chest, thing josha bear. With me are you aware of how this process? Went, down like do you know if This was mark's one and only target or are you aware of whether Or Not mark carlin interviewed multiple candidates before Landing. On alex.
Speaker 6: FROM as i understand it and was told, it was the decision was made that we need change Directions from craig and that they were gonna let him go a little. Bit early and part of the purpose was we need to build a relationship with our players because there's some good players on, this team and also they wanted to just jump right on the Fact that alex was their number. ONE guy i Believe that mark talked, to Others but mark's whole mission was to make Sure that alex knew he was the number, one guy and we needed to see what it was going to take To get alex, to come and so he may have had some backup just, in case but he was going full Hearted at alex and wanted to make Sure that alex realized that he was a number.
Speaker 1: One choice any any thoughts or maybe you know whether Or not alex was immediately open to this or was this. A process, I mean I know dallas. LIKED him i know his wife really very much enjoyed Living. In Dallas and i've been told that this wasn't Something that alex jumped at, right away that it did take. Some time but if, you're aware can you illuminate us kind of how this process? Went down maybe the Interest on.
Speaker 6: Alex's, Side yeah i've been Talking about Alex oh man for a number, of years and not, like daily but obviously each time the season starts, Getting worse i'll text him or we'll run into each Other and i'll, just say are you ready to? Come yet you're ready to? Come yet in, THIS situation i sense in his voice a little more enthusiasm. And excitement you know that he was, actually, considering like you, know what that might be a, really good. Good option and then, you know, of course once you start to settle down, And, think okay my family going to be okay?
Speaker 7: With this do we have?
Speaker 6: Good support what's the?
Speaker 5: Nil, money like.
Speaker 4: What would our?
Speaker 6: Plan be who's going to be our just the behemoth that he now has on his shoulders trying to get everything figured out to kind of build the culture and the team and the structure and everything that. He wants AND so i think his initial and this is just. My opinion alex didn't, tell me this is my read. On it he was excited at, the opportunity, for sure and then maybe the weight of all of the things made him step back a little bit, And, say OKAY before i commit, to this we need to make sure we have some clarity on a. Few THINGS and i think that maybe is what took a little bit longer to get everything.
Speaker 1: Ironed, out So as i've been talking about ever since the New about craig hit, the airwaves whether It Was, alex jensen whether it Was A Josh Grand jimmy, soto hybrid whether you Resurrected, rickman jaris no matter who the, candidates were they were going To ask Mark And president randall the, same thing and that is what is the economic viability in the financial infrastructure of, my program of the? Basketball program so do you have any insight on where we're at? Right now because if you can't, write checks you're not, getting talent not in this day.
Speaker 8: And age, Josh, Right no, IT'S true i don't know the inside on, THAT necessarily i just probably have heard the same thing that, you've heard that people are excited enough About having alex as the head coach that at least they're coming to the table to.
Speaker 6: Have discussion there may be some donors who have verbally committed, to say you, know What if alex, is here we're going to get. MORE money i don't have a shore, known FACT but i also have a belief that this is something you have. TO build i don't think somebody's showing up with ten million dollars, to, Say, hey alex here, you go go and do with this ten million what. YOU want i think he might be a Situation where alex has to kind of prove that that he's utilizing the funds effectively and that he's putting together a good team with. Good PEOPLE and i, KNOW that i, know that, You know britain has some crazy ideas about how it is completely, nil MONEY and i know a lot of people. Think that but and this was one of my ISSUES when i would hear you say things about former coaches here that.
Speaker 3: That we're.
Speaker 6: Good coaches if you can't coach players that don't demand high, nil money how are you expected to coach players that do demand high. Nil money AND so i Think that alex is a. Good coach he's going to be, a COACH and i think that he's going to recruit the. Proper people and it's it's a little bit about. The personality if you look Back at utah, basketball history and that's kind OF how i always gauge a lot of THINGS that, i say is what has happened.
Speaker 5: In history and you look Back.
Speaker 6: At andre and you look Back at keith and doleyak look Back At. Byron wilson in, my era they were. Good people, you know they were, Raised right they realized the importance, Of loyalty they wanted to, Be coached they appreciated people who. Appreciated them and, so yes you're gonna have to pay those guys, nil money but you've got to find those good. Kids first don't just throw, your money, you know, willy nilly to just go get somebody kind of lived by, the sword you die by. The sword and if you're gonna just chase after kids who who are demanding this high, nil money is that really the culture that you want to build Here. At utah, and, so yes he's going to have more money FROM what, I UNDERSTAND but i still think that it's just people are just barely starting to wake up again to the. Basketball program they've been asleep for a little while because the program just hasn't been. So STELLAR but i think at least their eyes are open and they're very interested to see what's going to. Happen next, i'm.
Speaker 1: Sorry did you say that you had take an issue with me saying the coaches here in the past had been, good coaches. Genuinely, churious, yes yes.
Speaker 6: You're you're, too nice and now, YOU know I hope craig's. Not listening craig was a, nice guy but nobody said Anything about larry being a. Nice guy the attitude of That was larry. Didn't coach and so it's a little bit of an unfair comparison when we're are we gaging people by? Their niceness are we gaging people by their? Coaching ability and so you can you can see obviously that, you know we had some disparity in how our guy were they prepared well enough when they came out on the floor that they had confidence in knowing what they. Were doing and, TO me i didn't, See that and you could you could say that by, You Know gabe madson is a, great shooter a. Great shooter Why was gate not able to shoot? The, ball, well well they didn't really execute in. Offensive sets did he have his?
Speaker 5: Feet said did he.
Speaker 6: Come off as to be set the screen? Up properly what's the screen? Set properly there's just a lot of those things that, You know rick taught me to value and. To notice and so THAT'S why, i say, you know there's a big piece of this whole pie that includes good solid teaching and expectations and people have to be responsible for things that have been, taught them AND that's i think what's been missing the most last. Twenty, Years, Well.
Speaker 1: Josh i'll tell. YOU this i have to say thank You because i've been doing this nearly twenty years and that's the first time anybody has told ME that i am, Too, Nice JOSH so i. Appreciate.
Speaker 8: That thanks you're always, very kind always maybe to. A, cult okay, all, right well you, Know what i'll take.
Speaker 1: That feedback i'll take that Criticism and i'll try to be better. With it so let's, talk, About, now josh how you would like to see this staff. Filled out i've heard that They're Talking andre i'm sure you have inside knowledge that most of us. Do not but that's only. One seat so let's get your thoughts on whether or not You think andrea's high speed had to, come home and maybe some other thoughts on who you'd like to see city Next.
Speaker 6: To, alex yeah those are that's, a great.
Speaker 5: Great.
Speaker 6: QUESTION andre I think andre wants. To come i'm pretty sure. Of that he may be just trying to get the final parts and pieces together so that he'll, be COMFORTABLE but i hear it's. VERY close i don't know if the deal has, been SIGNED but i hear. It's Close and andre will bring such an. Amazing presence from a, RECRUITING standpoint, i mean who Wouldn't If andre miller showed up at your front door and you LIVE. In la who's, Not thinking, Holy Cow andre miller is standing on my doorstep, right now and he could actually teach me how to get TO. The nba AND so i think from a, recruiting standpoint. It's amazing just from his feel for the game. Is amazing you hear a lot of these pros on these YouTube channels and podcasts talk About How andre miller was such a great meant to them and he would ask questions just simple like well what do you? See here and he wouldn't just tell. People stuff he would make them think and learn and figure things out. For THEMSELVES so i think that's that would be an amazing partnership with he and al. AFTER that i, YOU know i don't. Even know back in the, OLD days i think you had three coaches and you had one graduate assistant and nobody else could be on. The, FLOOR nowadays I think, i counted like what ten coaches on the bench the, Other DAY so i think you just have to be the number one higher or not the number one. Higher somebody that's really important is getting somebody who can act as your. General manager you've got to be able to keep track of nil and make sure that values, are maintained and how much money do, you have and how do we kind of put the, players together which is kind of new for. College basketball it's more OF an. Nba THING but I think alex has got to get somebody in that position that would be helpful to him and just kind of keep an eye out on him and make sure that he doesn't hit any. Big pothole, you know he's as he's kind of figuring all this. Stuff out so you've got to get got a good general manager who understands kind. Of, everything uh and then you've got to get somebody who can recruit the State. Of utah, You, KNOW britain. I can't i can't. HELP it i got to get back. At him it's just a love it, room, bag right, love it. Love it britain sat and talked ABOUT how i was, wrong that, you know you can't build a Team with utah players and so on and, so on and maybe you can Win the whack And, the mountain but you can't Win The. Big TWELVE and i don't disagree, with HIM and i never. SAID that i said you have to build a core group of players who Are.
Speaker 5: From UTAH so.
Speaker 6: I asked i was talking to My Friend ryan boyak, about this and we look back at the. Championship team do you know how many guys were on that Team? From utah pick a?
Speaker 5: Guess?
Speaker 1: Three four there?
Speaker 5: Were?
Speaker 1: Six, six okay so.
Speaker 6: You've got The, Two johnson's you've, Got al You've, got hanson and then you've got the. Backup center and then there was another cut KID if i can't remember. His name he didn't play a. WHOLE lot i think he ended up redshirting because he. Hard himself but, Six players so you've got to be able to start to build that that that win of recruiting the best Players. In utah so you've got to have somebody who understands and has relationships or can build relationships with the. Local kids and then, AFTER that, i think, you know you've got to get people who can build player or do, player development and who can, you know fix people's shots and and work on some of the basics and things. Like THAT do i have names for?
Speaker 3: YOU now.
Speaker 6: I don't and if, they asked if They Asked brittan johnson to come be, a coach don't let. Him tricky he would drop everything he's doing to come and be. A coach he's he's trying to Be. Mister cooy, but yeah and. WHO wouldn't, i mean it's a it's a it's an opportunity of a lifetime really to come in and to be able to work here at an all the model that, you love that you have, passion FOR and i think that goes a. Long way and that's ANOTHER thing i think has been missing is this passion For the University. Of utah and that's another Box that. Alex checks he Loves the University. Of utah he has great feelings of his. Experiences here so he's gonna he's gonna work a little bit harder and maybe have a few more sleepless nights if things don't, go Well which i'm not saying, they will but it'll still be a challenge. For him he'll just he'll be a little more concerned maybe and put a little more.
Speaker 4: Into it, So.
Speaker 6: Yeah i'm excited as everybody, else is just to see who who is gonna come and, sit around and who's gonna, have input and who Will have, Alex's here who Will Be Alex's, jeff jutkins, you know like he Was to. Rick mcgaris and. It's fun it's, just exciting it. Really is this is such a.
Speaker 5: Good time.
Speaker 1: Now at The next utah basketball? Great reunion are You and britt gonna? Be good are we gonna see? Some fisticuffs are are you guys gonna be all right the next time? You're together first, of.
Speaker 6: All both of us are so skinny that we probably couldn't hurt each other if we actually did throw. A blow, but, no no That's. Just britain We've known britain a. Long time i'm not gonna. Hit him he's not gonna. Hit, me well probably just.
Speaker 4: Start.
Speaker 5: Laughing, Okay no we're. We're good, we're.
Speaker 1: Good OKAY and i would, Be, remiss JOSH if i didn't, ASK you i would Imagine if alex, is interested you'd be interested potentially in talking to him about sitting on.
Speaker 6: That.
Speaker 1: Bench.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 6: Oh ABSOLUTELY like, i said it's an opportunity of. A lifetime And as I've as i've watched this whole thing, Go through i've, asked myself is this SOMETHING that i would like? To do and, you know sometimes, people, say well you haven't, Been COACHING and i, think BACK and i Talked To jeff judkins because he had a similar situation where he didn't coach for. A while, i mean he was just working as an average Joe when rick mccheris brought. Him back AND so i, think that, you know there was a TIME when i had to DECIDE did i want to turn left and go, into COACHING do i turn right and try to get into, you know Work. Force america and JUST because i decided to go right and To Work, force america the information and the KNOWLEDGE that i had learned over my, you know fifteen year career or seventeen. Year career it didn't, just disappear so it's always been, in THERE and i think it would be a lot of fun to just be able to help in. Some way whatever, THAT means i, don't KNOW but i, think that, YOU know i do have some things to offer for in. STATE kids i could go and tell them how awesome it is to be a, hometown boy because really that played such a big part of, my life just kind of, being here Being An east. High, graduate so, you know if it's obviously it's Up, to alex but if THERE'S anything i could do, To help i'd be more than happy to jump in there and.
Speaker 1: Do it at the risk of being, too Nice you're josh. Freaking grants you didn't need to carry a clipboard around for twenty years to be able to. Be, Qualified josh but let me move over HERE before i set, you loose because you referenced and We had tim McMahon on the show who Covers the MAVs, or Espn and tim Reported it alex would finish off the season With, the MAVs but MAVs ownership has given him complete carte blanche to go start doing what he's doing to lay the found work for his. New Job and i'm just gonna read off the names of the players that are eligible to come back, next year AND then i want to get your thoughts and we'll say. You Lose So ezra star as a Junior And. Kanu DAEs, You Know coach Eiler played kanu more Minutes than, craig Did and kana had three double doubles in the five Games coach. Eyler coached so We've, Got ezra We've Got, kana dawes We Got. Mira little we Also Have jake Wallen and Mike shrab jams are the main candidates to, come back at least. On paper so what do you make of that list? Of names and who do You think alex should look at to try to get back?
Speaker 6: Next year, YOU know i love all those guys. YOU mentioned i honestly think that you. Know all this is the difference of opinion between Me And. Coach SMITH but i think that you take either one of those point guards and then you add the other the other three and then if you have Somebody Like Caleb, caleb loher it was such a beast. ON defense i think if you started those five guys just to kind and to set the, tone defensively they really will get after it and they would set a good, tone defensively AND so i think you win some games if you just give them the opportunity to just go and get.
Speaker 5: After IT so.
Speaker 6: I do i'm a Fan, Of waleen i'm a Fan. Of DAWs i'm a Fan. OF ezra I think miro's in there and he can get in there. And compete he's, very Athletic, and mike for his lack of athletic ability is. SO long i think that makes up for a lot. Of THINGS so i really Believe that alex should go and try to keep all of them because they do kind. Of understand they played with each other. A year, You know DAWs is starting to show what he's capable of if you just kind of let him play through and gain. Some confidence walleen is the. Same thing he needs to get some work with, his shot with his shot and being able to maybe have some other options. TO score I think mike just needs to get his feet set a little bit better when he shoots his. Jump Shot, and miro, you know he's just an. Athletic kid maybe give him a little bit, more direction but make defense the price already. For HIM and i think with those guys, right there sure you need a big center, or something but with those guys, right there you have a pretty solid TEAM and i just need, to build, you know some some some.
Speaker 1: Good, Subs, WELL josh i appreciate, the TIME and i didn't mean to cause problems between you and, My, guy britt so hopefully we're gonna. Be okay bottom, line is no matter where you're at in, the ecosystem somebody like you who's, a legend or somebody like me who covers. THE program i think this has been a really exciting Week and i'm pumped to see. What's next, My friend so thank you so much for.
Speaker 4: The, time hey.
Speaker 6: THANK you i really. Appreciate it, And yeah BRITT and i we're, still buddy so.
Speaker 1: No, Worries ah right there, we go The Great, josh gratt one of the best to ever do it At the University. Of utah porter before we catch, a break did you Hear What josh grant said?
Speaker 5: ABOUT me?
Speaker 7: I did i?
Speaker 5: Did?
Speaker 1: Too, nice, yeah, yeah yeah you Know what I'm gonna I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna i'm gonna write. That down i'm gonna put on are like.
Speaker 1: Our marquis you've been wrong about me this, whole time and a good portion of this community has been wrong about me the. WHOLE time i am simply. TOO nice i am simply a guy that goes about spreading love and kindness and ENJOY wherever, i go AND all i get is pushback. From People So josh grant laid down. THE law i am.
Speaker 2: Too, Nice yeah i'm Glad he's i'm glad he's sticking up. For you I'm gonna i'm gonna put that on.
Speaker 1: Our website i'm gonna Change my Twitter bio spence check it's. Too nice, all right we will catch. Your break we're live today where the Friends At. Tim dolly we've been out at their location a couple of, different times but this is our first time At the Dolly Used, auta mark so it's forty five Forty Five South. Main street We Have sportsman. Expo passes you can just come on and grab them and go To the Sportsman the expo. For free and then there's a new piece of legislation where you have an opportunity to save up to four thousand dollars on SOME new, ev Vehicles namely Tesla's and BMW's. And audi's so come on out and they'll tell you if you are eligible for. That savings, so yeah come on buy AND say i would love to, meet you giving away free high FIVE because i apparently am. Too nice According To, josh grant trying to help you guys save some money on a new vehicle with our good Friends At, Tim dally It's the Dolly used atta Mark. In murray it's forty five Forty Five South. Main street, trust me put that IN your gps and. Follow it don't. Overthink it you'll get lost out HERE like. I did forty five Forty Five South main street Here, in murray where you can save up to four grand and we'll tell you how on one of these new AND used. Ev vehicles We've Got dave mcmanhiman stopping by coming up in. A bit we'll get back to the Madness. Of march But The Utah hockey club continues to stay in. The fight it's gonna be tough when you look at the numbers to make that wild, card spot but it's not. Over yet and our next guest joins us on a weekly basis to, inform us, enlighten us and illuminate us in the world Of professional hockey's The Great neil smith On, A, Thursday Neil, Happy, thursday sir how?
Speaker 5: Are you?
Speaker 7: Thank you thank you to make me sound a lot BRIGHTER than. I am and that's. For SURE but i like. That commercial you just had him With the, irish voice squid that it was an irishman. For, SOMETHING anyways i THOUGHT that i shouldn't let you KNOW that i. Liked That, BUT smith i got to start off with a little tribute to your FATHER and i got some very bad news. THIS week i don't know if you were he was able to tell you about the Passing Of, stanley jaffy who's so instrumental in us With the knick success And the rangers' success back in, the nineties and just a, wonderful guy and he passed away at. Eighty, four yeah.
Speaker 1: That's right we did have a little family thread going on, with THAT and i wonder if you would collaborate my father's thoughts that in my dad's time in, the garden He said stanley jaffe was his favorite boss during his. Entire time would you would you, Cooborate, THAT yeah.
Speaker 7: I would i think that if it weren't, for him we wouldn't have Won The, stanley cup and Probably the knicks wouldn't have Gone to game Seven against houston that. Same year he was very much behind the teams and very Much allowed DAVE and i to do what we had to do to make the. Teams great and you know it was his support was vital during an era when they kept changing ownership Of the garden and you had to get somebody that, was supportive and he.
Speaker 5: Certainly, was yeah it was.
Speaker 1: A shame when the final ownership change took place and that dude is still. In charge but that's a different topic for a, Different, day neil we will leave. That there so let me just ask you right off the. TOP here, i mean it's still. Really tight minnesota's pulled away a. Little Bit calgary vancouver on. Seventy One Utah hockey club with win, last night is on sixty nine points along With. The blues but as we as we rolled down, the stretch is it still realistic to believe that this could? Actually Happen The Utah hockey club could qualify as a wildcard team IN The Nhl stanley.
Speaker 7: Cup, playoffs yeah they're Very much still they're not the favorites to get into to those wild card SPOTS because i think That's more Vancouver. And calgary but they do have. A chance and we were talking about it today and if you, you know you can say that to get to the ninety two points or whatever it's going to take to make, the playoffs you've got to play at a seven hundred average or a six hundred average. Or something but, you know if you if a team can get on a, winning streak Either the blues or the, hockey club to get on a, winning streak they can jump. Over teams but it's going to take a. Winning streak it's not going to you're not going to be able to win one, lose one win one. Lose one that that. Won't work and when you, play TEAMS and i said this, last week when you, aren't on you've got to get the two points and don't leave any on the table for the. Other team in, other words you don't win in, over time you don't win in a, shoot a try to win, in regulation and of course if that's, not possible then go ahead and win any. Other ones but it's important that you get the points and that you don't leave any for.
Speaker 1: Other teams so let me ask you if you just had to, Guess again minnesota seems to have separated themselves for the first, wildcard spot but the second, Wildcard, Spot, Calgary Vancouver, saint Louis and utah are all in the mix for that. Second wildcard so who would you kind of handicap is the favorite as, Of, NOW.
Speaker 7: Neil i Would handicap vancouver as. A favorite that's What, most yeah that's what most sites are Saying that vancouver is the one that's the favorite to. Get in and that goes by strength of schedule the rest of. The way, you know teams that they've got, to play how many home games, they have how many, road games how many teams above five hundred that they had left, to play how many blow? Five hundred and on that strength of schedule and on, the team that's who people are giving the. Edge to BUT as, i said that all goes out the window if somebody goes on a, winning streak even though you're only two, points apart it'll take a winning streak and beating teams that people have, handicapped you not the beat to give you a chance to, get in and crazier things, have happened that's.
Speaker 1: For sure so what sort of what sort? Of experience because we're doing this a lot With the, jazz here A local, nba team as they play a lot of these really good teams in very, close games it's giving these young players a lot of good experience because they're not going to make. The playoffs and the only way for these young players to understand what it's like to play against really really good players and really good teams in pro basketball not get their doors, blown off is be able to make these, games competitive and even if they, fall short they're getting some good experience because they're playing. Teams closely what sort of experience can a young team Like The Utah hockey club just be able to garner being in the fight That coach torney talks about all, the time being in, the race even if they don't get in and if they. Fall short what sort of experience can be gained in a race, Like.
Speaker 7: THIS neil i think just what you just said is the experience of being in a situation finally where they are going right down to the wire to try to get in and they're not Eliminated. In february if you look at the team, last year the same team which was Based, in arizona they weren't in the fight right till the. Very END and i think that that's what the coach is, talking about is that stay in, the fight. Keep fighting if they're going to beat us and go in and we're not going to, make it let's not. Make it let's not make it on the, last weekend not on the lot of month ahead of the end of, the season if you KNOW what, i mean keep fighting right till the. Very END and i got to say spend since we've, been talking, you know in. The summer this IS what i envisioned for, this team that they would be in, and around knocking on the door to try to get into the wild. Card spot and they still are doing it and they can.
Speaker 5: Get in.
Speaker 1: Are you surprised, At, all neil THAT the nhl trade deadline Came in wentz without the hockey club being. Very active does that surprise you? At all or did You Anticipate bill armstrong to stay in the course regardless of where.
Speaker 7: They're at, YOU know i anticipated that he would trade a couple, of UFAs but he re signed guys that, were UFAs so that sort of took them off. The Market and buffalo did the. Same Thing and i'm Not comparing Buffalo, in Utah but buffalo a non. Playoff team they ended up signing guys so that they didn't walk away. For nothing and that's the thing at this time of the year is the gms don't want to lose a guy, for nothing so they come to the deadline and, they, say look we either sign them or we. Trade them but we're not just going to have him hang in for the rest of the regular season and then walk away and go. Somewhere else we've got to get something for. These Guys So bill armstrong signed a couple of guys and that took them off. The, market basically.
Speaker 1: EXCUSE me a story broke this Week That connor ingram is stepping away from the team to take care of his mental health and he's entering what's called a player. Assistant program this Happened. On sunday he lost his mother to breast Cancer, in DECEMBER which i think was news to a lot, of people and, you know not like this is the most, important Thing, but connor you on he, was struggling and now we kind of. Know why now there's some context and color to this. Entire thing so tell us about, This, program neil tell us About This player. Assistant program most people when they see news like this Believe and connor even talked, about this most people believe it was some sort of substance abuse issue when a program like this, is announced but. It's not he's just taking time off to take care of his. Mental health so tell us about this program and your thoughts on the news that Broke About.
Speaker 7: Connor, INGRAM well i didn't know about, his mother and that's. Really sad that's, horribly sad especially for a kid that's that, you know It's not i'm sure his mother wasn't really very old and too early, to go and so that would put anybody into. A depression and, you know you don't want to guess these things, and say, you know he's. Fighting depression you don't want to say it's any substance or alcohol or anything else because you. Don't KNOW but i would imagine that his, you know his mental state hasn't been right to play goal In The National hockey league when he's been hit with. His grief that he's had to encounter, this year and he probably just wants to try to take care of that with some counseling and, some therapy and good on him to, actually, SAY look i need to. Do this i'm not as good an athlete or, a person, a, husband father or WHATEVER until i take care of this mental. HEALTH issue i.
Speaker 1: Wonder while we're in, this Space because i've never talked to you about. This before, YOU know i am a gen xer in my i'll say. MID forties i can say that for another like. Five days and, You know NEIL and i was, growing up we weren't really encouraged to talk openly about mental. Health ISSUES and i was raised by very, loving parents, you know my mother. And father i'm not complaining about anything as far AS how i, was raised but it was Never REALLY and i played sports up until, YOU know i was in COLLEGE before i needed to find something else to do with my time because being a five to eleven white kid trying To Guard andrew miller was not fun and it was never a thing a coach. BROUGHT up i had some, really intense quite frankly mean COACHES as i, came up and none of them ever really asked us how we. Were doing it was just kind of. A deal and you ran hockey teams IN the nhl in, the nineties very successfully Winning A. Stanley cup was were points of emphasis like this even part of the fabric of your job back in. The nineties and what do you make of kind of how this stuff has changed a. Little, bit.
Speaker 7: Well a whole society has changed for the better and become more open about and and and recognizing that mental health.
Speaker 5: Is health it's not.
Speaker 4: It's not.
Speaker 7: Made up It is it's just the same as any kind of. Other disease if you have a mental, health issue you have a type of disease that has to. Be fixed AND so i think in our day in, the nineties we had. A psychotherapist i'm not sure if he was clinically a certified, or not but we had a, person that, you know talk to the players from time to time to see how they, were doing and was was around the team. A, lot so but it wasn't to the extent it is Now where i'm sure that the player can go, and, Say look i'm struggling because of this, or this and, YOU know i need, some help and the team would, accommodate that just as an employer would accommodate hopefully if one of their employees came to them, And said i'm really struggling at my Job because I'VE got X y z.
Speaker 5: GOING on.
Speaker 1: I wonder one more. Question here it feels like once upon a time there may have been a fear for a player, to, SAY yes i need a break because he could lose. HIS job i wonder if that's anything that you, ever saw whether it was mental health or, just injuries, players, LIKE no i can't take. A break i have. A family i need. THIS job i don't want some young upstart taking. My, gig.
Speaker 7: YEAH well i got to get. Another contract i'm trying to play for. Another contract i'll, Play hurt i'll play. IN grief i mean in the old days of the, let's say when the players played in the sixties and, THE seventies, i mean they didn't even go home when, their child when their wife was giving, child firth they had to.
Speaker 5: Stay on the road with.
Speaker 1: The team.
Speaker 7: You know now it's a common thing that players leave when they're going to have the birth of.
Speaker 5: A child so.
Speaker 7: It's very much that players will play. Through things but with concussions and. So on the leagues have all become more ultra conscious of head injuries which lead to, mental issues because if you get, a concussion you know you're going to have various mental issues during the time that, it's healing and clubs have become more aware.
Speaker 1: Of this so what this Does do AND again i don't want to diminish, You know connor's bravery and we all wish him well and hope he's. Back soon but now there's no debate about who the first choice. Goalie is It, is mamalka who statistically is had a better Year, than connor and we've talked about it all. Year long so what sort of dynamic does? That bring is it, just again, you know good Wishes, to connor but Knowing that mamelka is the, guy now is that something that could maybe free him up when he knows the job is his no, Matter WHAT.
Speaker 7: Oh, i THINK so i think he'll. PLAY better A normal nhl team has a set number one and a, set backup and they certainly have that Now With jackson stober being the backup and Of the milica being clearly. Number One and vimilica was rewarded with a new contract Too By, bill armstrong so he showed him that he is definitely, number one and that's another player they took OFF the ufa market by giving him a, New contract so, he said a. Good year connor struggled, this year as we, all know but now maybe we know one of the reasons why, he struggled and that's with his. Personal situation, All.
Speaker 1: Right neil kind of a, broad picture, you know, big picture broader question about the league, right NOW because i haven't talked to you Since that march seventh, trade deadline which was. Last week of all the moves that, were made and there were, a ton which one did you like? The most which one left you scratch in? Your, head.
Speaker 7: Well the one that made me scratch my head and probably every other part of me Was the carolina Trading for ranton and then not knowing whether they could, sign him and then not being able to, sign him and then turning around and trading Him to dallas and it ended up that They Lost jack Drury And marty Neckish to colorado and Got Back taylor hall and a bunch. Of picks so that made me, really, wonder like what do you do and you're supposed to know you could sign these guys before you trade. For them that's the common that's common operations to do it. That way the other ONE that i was startled BY was i didn't Think that boston would ever trade, Their captain Brad, marsha on and when they couldn't come to a deal, with him they ended up trading Him, to florida which Has been boston's nemesis the last. Few Years and Brad marshaw on now plays with two guys that terrorized each Other In sam Bennett And matt Kuchuck on florida will now Play with Brad marsha on on the. Same team so you're going to have three very irritating guys now On The. Florida panthers they, had two but now you're going to have the third One in marshaunson does a good job of that.
Speaker 1: As well so after, The deadline Vegas believes Florida and dallas are The Top stanley. Cup contenders now do you agree?
Speaker 4: WITH that.
Speaker 7: I think florida is a. Top contender i'm not Sure that dallas is because they got RANT and i think they're. REALLY good i Would say winnipeg is the TEAM that i would put my two cents on because they've.
Speaker 5: Done it all.
Speaker 7: Year long i'm not sure when you go out in the trade deadline and you get a, big fish that the big fish can get into the school and swim with the other fish, right away because it's a big change in the in the dynamic of the big change the dynamic of the team when you put a guy in that lineup that takes that much.
Speaker 5: Ice time, all right.
Speaker 1: My friend where can all of our? Listeners go get that good podcast to yours.
Speaker 7: Any any podcast platform and YouTube and any anywhere and give us. A listen We Had paul maurice on this week that was. Really funny actually he was on on the day of. The deadline you got to hear, This, story spence because it's a. Great one so we're Talking To, paul maurice the coach Of The, florida panthers and we said, to him are you sure you want to do it today because it's a TRADE that, i, no, no no, it's fine. It's fine we get into the interview and we're about half an hour in and, he, Says guys i'll be. RIGHT back i just got to go for a few. Minutes here you know what today is and we sure. Go go he goes away for five or, ten minutes, comes back. Finishes up he went away to get informed that they were Trading for Brad.
Speaker 5: Marsha on so that was.
Speaker 7: Really fun but that's a. Good interview listen to listen.
Speaker 1: To that ONE on Nhl Wrapper, oh man that. Is, WILD neil i appreciate, your time, my friend have a great week and we will chout you.
Speaker 6: Next, week yeah all my, best spence. Thank you.
Speaker 1: All Right, neil smith general manager Of The New york rangers in, the nineties joins us on a weekly basis to help us understand the landscape of pro hockey now that we are a hockey town With The Utah hockey club back in action tomorrow Taking. On seattle, all right before we catch, a break we have a awesome new client on. The Show It's Ogden Clinic, hadley dermatology and they've got a menu of great deals for you as listeners that you got to take advantage of because you're gonna save a grip of money and you're gonna have peace of mind knowing that you've been. Checked on but let's Bring In, kirk stevens one of their pas today On, A, Thursday Kirk, happy, thursday buddy how are. We doing i'm, Doing.
Speaker 9: Well stance thanks for.
Speaker 1: HAVING me i appreciate. The time so today we are going to talk about, adult acne which. Is terrifying the causes in The, Treatment's kirk so.
Speaker 6: Go.
Speaker 1: Ahead, yeah so, you.
Speaker 9: Know unfortunately adult acne is something that, you know for many patients they, deal with, you know and we don't outgrow it as, a team, you know from, their teenagers.
Speaker 5: And so that can be.
Speaker 9: Really frustrating one thing that we see a lot with a lot of, patients is, you know once they start ormono, replacement therapy so like, testosterone injections they start to see acne on their trunk.
Speaker 5: And face and they have.
Speaker 9: This conundrum where they're starting to, feel better you have, more energy but then feel like they're regressing to their teenagers and dealing.
Speaker 1: With acne so.
Speaker 9: One THING that i like to do is bring patients in or, you know and help them with. That problem and the nice thing is we can kind of have our cake and eat.
Speaker 1: It too we can.
Speaker 9: Often keep patients on their hormone replacement therapies while also, you know getting their acne clearer with various washes and, you know topical medications. And pills so that's a fun thing to help. Patients through let's.
Speaker 1: Talk about what the right products are to use on your face and educate us on how to wash our face so we can just avoid.
Speaker 4: This.
Speaker 9: Acne yeah so, you, know oftentimes, you know, especially males we, you know maybe just use the bar soap and continue it from the body onto the face and just for ease. Of use and, you know a lot of these products that we use just can strict oil out of the skin and really compromise our. Skin barrier so if we can just use products that are kind of more geared, towards helping, you know maintain those healthy oils in the skin and helping with that, skin bearer that will go a long way of, you know either either not making your acne worse or or helping. It initially so, you know that's something that we like to help educate patients on what products. To use and, you know a lot of these things aren't very expensive and we, can help, you know guide through the myriad.
Speaker 1: Of options, Last, thing kirk when should a parent involve a dermatologist when their kid as serious? Acne, Issues.
Speaker 9: Yeah so this Is something i'm really Passionate about really it's never. Too early we all know that junior high in high school is not an easy period, of life and acne only compounds, that problem and SO it's i just, tell parents, you know it's never. Too soon even if it's. Mild acne we can help guide them through the many different options that are available over, the counter and then oftentimes we can get patients on you various top goals or prescription medications that can really help clear them up and just help them feel confident in. THEIR skin, i mean that's such a huge thing as, a Teenager and i'm really passionate about trying to, help patients, particularly teenagers regain. That confidence, Good.
Speaker 1: STUFF kirk i appreciate, your time. My friend have a. Great, weekend, okay yeah thanks.
Speaker 9: So much sense, all right here's.
Speaker 1: The Deal So Clinic healthy dermatology has put the following things on the table for deals for. My listeners the number One deal i'll point out is simply a free. Skin, consultation okay here's why you. Do that if you're, Like me once this weather actually shifts for good and the sun is shining, every day you're gonna be golfing on, the weekends you're gonna be hiking with, Your dog you're gonna be outside riding your, Mountain bike you're gonna be in the sun. A lot and what we've learned as a result of our Relationship With Ogden Clinic, healthy dermatology as we are the number one state in the country in skin cancer diagnosis. Per, Capita okay so the free skin consultation they're offering You At Ogden Clinic aalvey dermatology right out of, the gates you saved a ton. Of money but if you've not had a, comprehensive CHECKUP like I know Jason and michael. Really well they're friends, of mine and every year they essentially forced me to go Up To Ogden clinicaladey dermatology because they know how MUCH golf. I Play now i'm, NOT shiking, i do and they Know that i'm the basically in the sun all. Summer LONG so i do it every year just so have peace, of mind because early detection kind of either save your life entirely or save you from having some hole dugout on the side of your head because you didn't get this. Checked out that's. Number. One okay so the skin consultation just for free is an. Amazing offer number two twenty percent off of boattox for your, significant other, your wife. Your partner number three twenty five percent off of. Laser treatments because pool season is right around, the corner don't be the dude to the pool that takes his shirt off and looks like. A gorilla take advantage. Of that, and Finally As kurt, is outlined whether you're an adult with acne issues or you have a teenager that's suffering from, acne issues great deal on that treatment. As well they can take care. Of you so if any of those four menu items are fitting what you're, looking for take advantage of these deals because they're not going to. Last forever here's how you. Do it pick up your phone and dial eight oh one six' five seven five. Six sixty four that's a one sixty five seven five sixty six four eight oh one sixty five seven five sixty six four Or Outline at hadley. Deermatology dot com it's they're Good Friends. At ogden CLINIC.
Speaker 2: Number seventeen byu Advances in The big twelve tournament after Downing Number twelve iowa state ninety. Six Ninety two richie saunders finished with twenty three points and five assists To LEAVE the koogs byu moves On To the conference semis to Face Off with Juggernaut Houston. In kansas city that's, tomorrow At Five and utah STATE takes on unlv Tonight In The. Mountain west quarters That's the night capper TIPPING Off On cbs sports network. At nine thirty on, the Pro Side the utah jazz fell last night, one twenty two One. Fifteen In memphis John Collins and colin sexton each scored Twenty Plus while luke canard led the Way for the grizzlies with thirty. Off the bench it was announced per game that the fifteen And fifty one jazz had been fined one hundred thousand DOLLARS by the nba for violating the league's. Player participation policy this comes after repeated rest Days For, forward lowry markinen who returned to. Action last night still last Place, In the west utah returns from a five game, road trip tomorrow welcoming Walking double double yaka Pertl And the toronto. Raptors To Town utah hockey club picked up a big, win last night three to Two Over. The Anaheim ducks dylan gunther used the third period power play to break the TIE and keep uhc within striking DISTANCE Of. The nhl wildcard they're currently two Points. Back of Calgary utah Visits seattle and Vancouver In the pacific northwest this Weekend With Your. SPORTS Center Update i Importer larsen on utah's number. One sports TALK this is espn seven hundred ninety TWO, point one fm live on YouTube and OF course at espn seven Hundred.
Speaker 1: SPORTS dot, com i mean we are live today with our Good Friends. At tim dowly we've Been At several, tim dally locations but this is a first for us out here at their. Used, auto mart Okay So it's tim dolly Used. Otto martin murray it's forty Five Forty Five. South main street We Have free sportsman's expo passes and you also can find out if you qualify to save up to four thousand dollars on. A used vehicle so coming out, And say hello wou'd love to meet you at forty Five Forty Five south Main. Street in, murray all right If You missed josh, grant from earlier we may. Have STARTED something porter i didn't intend, to DO this but i fear that At the next utah men's basketball reunion, whenever That Is both Josh Grant and britton johnson are. Like six' ten i'm afraid that we. Might have some fisticuffs was not in the mood to.
Speaker 2: Play today for sure, well if we have and we've got two near seven footers that you know that maybe, HAVE a few disagreements i think that for the most part, they are similar fellas and that's why. It seems that, WAY but in reality i think it's. It's mostly kind jabbing but in the spirit of the new, era of college football maybe we could get a little boxing match going. Raise, SOME nil phonts.
Speaker 1: YEAH i Don't Know i mean josh grant Dropped the whole like britain HAS known me since i dated his sister and. WHEN he, Was five i mean josh came. Out with some, FIRES so in. Fairness i do too it's great in FAIRNESS and also because i am five minutes from losing my voice if You Miss the reason josh. Graham Was, Upset Today on monday bryton johnson stopped by and here's what. He, had to SAY well when when.
Speaker 10: I first heard, IT i, text him i said al are? We coming or not and he he responded Back in, his very alex fashion It was myself and jeff we were. On a thread, Together, HE responded back Man i absolutely love dallas And this is a this is just. Such a nice job so not giving me anything right, AND also just saying i know that's going to be a huge responsibility to try and get the youth back.
Speaker 7: To where they.
Speaker 10: Were Supposed to be so i'm in, my minding in. Kay he's playing coy but the fact that he responded to my text about, the about the. Topic It was ENCOURAGING so jeff, AND i both like i think there's. Going to be hoped alex plays. His cards, really close you know, He's. Not like me spence he doesn't throw up all over himself and tell everybody every. Aspect of their life, that's probably You know, like like lindsay, said less is more that's probably a.
Speaker 5: Good, thing that, he does you know not just flinging.
Speaker 10: Random things OUT there but when i heard he, Actually.
Speaker 5: Took the job.
Speaker 10: Spence nothing BUT excitement nothing but i would just say anticipation in regard to this? Program going right track is he going to come in and absolutely turn. It, all around overnight no but he is going to be the best option that they could. HAVE gotten, FOR sure i mean i DON'T know who else i would.
Speaker 1: Choose other than him so let's dig into a. Couple, OF things here first i wanted to Get, your Thoughts on craig as craig, has been you know given the door and relieved of his duties, after just you know, almost almost five years, just under four years six. Years On his deal so craig walks away. With a little change he's gonna he's got a. Five million dollar parachute so of course he does not have to Take a job. At maverick anytime soon he'll be. Fine for a minute why do you Think this ultimately with? Craig? DID not work now i. Know you're down south so did you have A Chance to hear josh grant on?
Speaker 3: My?
Speaker 1: Show?
Speaker 5: By, chance yes yes okay several people.
Speaker 1: Sent, that to me, okay so, give me give me give me, your. Thoughts, On that britt oh josh.
Speaker 5: Is a battling idiot he doesn't know. What he's talking. ABOUT i'm just kidding. I assume he's listening josh.
Speaker 4: Is, a good.
Speaker 5: Friend no there was there was definitely some.
Speaker 10: Key spots to what he was Talking, about With with craig and josh has a great. Pulse on the, Program by the way josh dated, my oldest sister.
Speaker 5: Friend so he came to our.
Speaker 10: House picked her up we all thought he was the greatest thing in the world because he Was. The superstar in Utah so the so, josh.
Speaker 5: And his brothers we.
Speaker 10: All, Go way back listen craig had an awesome. This is what's hard he has That Awesome, season at utah state, but he, also had you know one of the best shot. Blockers in The Country. HE had sam merrill i think For a minute with. Craig a great coach he. Was a fine coach he, was A good man someone i would have.
Speaker 5: My son.
Speaker 10: Played for worked hard, but but you know you, got TO have players and i think just at the, end of the day you got to. Get THE right players AND I remember hearing i josh talked a lot about getting The best players in utah and and kind of that recipe like what we had in his, air, IN my air well i agree with that to, a, to, a degree like look that's gonna You Whack Championships. And mount west championships that's Not winning you. A Big twelve championship alex jenson's got to go. Out and get players and we all know to get players in today's world is not about selling the coach And The Opportunity. Of salt lake city. It's freaking. Changing money let's go you. Gotta get some money you gotta. Simnil donors in there you freaking think the number one player in the country is going to just go down.
Speaker 5: And, PLoP into provo no.
Speaker 4: You.
Speaker 10: Gotta get money now we got to get a couple, of big time, players one or two kind of Like We, Did With, andre miller mike doliach and then you fill in, some In State, Guys The, britton Johnson's Jeff, Johnson's The, josh grants alex jenson's and then you have a coach that's got A brilliant. Mind Like majeris did alex. Jenson's is that coach. And now we're talking now, We're rocking and rolling. But think about It To get an Andre Miller, or a mike doliach or to keep those, two guys like say you know they, made, their names here right and then you keep, them for. Year two year, three, in today's world yeah you're gonna. Have To pay up otherwise andre Would have Transferred to texas and mike Would have transferred to oregon and they both would have. Made a million dollars so let's. Just not kid ourselves the name of the game is someone's gonna have to like donate some money or there's gonna have to be a big pay where you get, one or Two players and then alex Will get some good utah guys and he'll take care of the rest with his brilliant coaching and his preparation And his exes and o's and is his ability to find guys around him to go out and recruit the right people Like like Mcjeri's got jutty and donnie to get. To get the players so it's kind of it's, kind of my mind That's kind. OF what, I'm thinking i mean josh. Kind of said THAT but Other than i think josh mentioned that he would rely heavily on getting, the IN state guys and i think they're going to be our second tier guys.
Speaker 5: We need to get so.
Speaker 1: A couple of, things first of all when IT comes to and i was paraphrasing you without the, past COUPLE of weeks because i can remember oftentimes you Sharing stories about coach jaris ripping into this, player or that player, or you quite frankly but Never. Really DID with alex am i remembering that correctly and then attending to that tell us anecdotally some Of the things that rick Used To. Share about alex jensen he's on The record saying that alex was one of the smartest. Players HE ever coached but i, Seem to remember oftentimes britt you sharing a lot of, stories about That relationship and obviously alex went On to Coach with rick, Before RICK passed away so i wanted to get.
Speaker 10: Your, THOUGHTS on that Yeah I, specifically remember alex spence like on that final four, run during the year, especially in the tournament, me grabbing my jersey, screaming in my face the right spots to, be on the floor the right, way to position myself the. WAY to play somebody i remember him behind me screaming like force some left. Force and right timeouts we'd walk, Out of the timeouts he'd come, Over and grab me andre everybody and explain things he was he was a, coach from you know he probably started having a coaching mentality. Was five years old he just he was a player's coach and he. KNEW how, to, win i mean listen coach mcjeris did, all, the preparation. Stuff right he was he. Was the ultimate preparation get us all. In the hotel ballroom he had charts on the walls of every. Single player their tendencies he had his, assistant coaches doing that and then coach would do a, really good, job of you, know laying it out sort of. Teaching it to us but the execution of It. All came from alex, he Was The one and. Drew hansen, as well you know we just had smart, players On our team but alex was.
Speaker 5: THE leader of that i look at that.
Speaker 10: And kind of like football, term spans like that that smart quarterback that can become a, head, COACH one, day right i mean your energetic raw ra kind of dufices like me on the court were not. Born. To be Coaches Right it's like mike singletary who tried to coach. The forty nine ers you, look at the guy he would smash anybody.
Speaker 5: In front of him but ex's. And o's and coaches he.
Speaker 10: Didn't exactly work well alex just was was thinking like a, coach as a player and then he got, his chance, to coach you know IN The. In the g league he's An Assistant. Coach for saint louis he's an Assistant. Coach at The Jazz. He developed Rudy Gobert he taught, rudy gobert the game and And, and then sometimes spence it's just when you're sitting down and having conversations with someone and you're you're listening the way that the game kind of plays, out in their, mind and, you're like holy CRAP that's something that i would, have never, thought of You know like if, I'M playing this team i would pick up their point guard with my six, nine guy who's athletic just to disrupt the point guard in his fast break player. Or something like that alex would just say things about games and, situations and, you're like my gosh. That's actually really smart so along with What he learned from rick and preparing for games and just his, kind of brilliant exers he's GOING to be Phenomenal.
Speaker 5: I think for utah so.
Speaker 1: Your points about the collective, are VERY well taken and i said this a couple of times over the past few weeks as the search was, kind of Going on whether It's Alex, whether it's richard Patino Whether, you resurrect rick, macjeris whoever it is Is Going to Ask Mark harlan and taylor randall. Simply the same question where? Are we at economically what is the financial? Infrastructure OF this program can i keep up with not just The schools, in the big twelve But, every school across america not the least of which britt is a school about forty miles down south that this year has two seven figure players on their roster and next year is paying aj debants is seven mil for. Five months of basketball so as you, talk to you know your former teammates and other people, connected to THE program what is I guess the, way i'll ask you brit is what's the confidence? Level They're Right now the CRIMSON collective or whatever utah is going to utilize for the economic health of the program is where it needs, to be to compete because it doesn't matter how, Good your coach is like there's no such thing. As a great coach did. Not have great players you, have TO have talents And i don't think craig had, enough talent quite frankly but. That's a different topic is there is there optimism and confidence in the alumni base that this school is where it needs to be to support. Its, Basketball, program financially.
Speaker 10: Yeah no it's a great. IT'S a great. QUESTION i don't know i don't know, numbers on THE budget but and i just know that, there, needs to be obviously something brought to The table to give alex, something to work with, Because you're absolutely right alex can be as good of a coach as. We possibly, can get he, is but you know but the but the players got to be able to utilize the. Coaching or be talented and it's It's like it's, like i've always said EITHER you, or somebody i Said You can Give, stevie wonder a corvette doesn't mean, he, Can drive it right So You can give alex jensen and all of his amazing coaching to a, bunch of crappy players doesn't mean they're gonna be.
Speaker 5: Able to utilize it you got.
Speaker 10: To GET good players and i DON'T think he Needs i don't think alex needs six to. SEVEN eight phenomenal players i think he needs two, to three And honestly. That's what majerius did that was his. And THAT was his, Like, i said earlier ZAMBO he, had three nba guys maybe a fourth in me who dipped HIS toes, in the nba waters And a fifth with alex, himself a little bit but you get. Three just absolute studs and we've got. To find a way the university has to find A, way to, give alex you know a. Budget TO do that, and i, think again you know everyone can say, they're a good coach but there really are just some that get the game. AT an INTELLIGENT level i apologize i, keep using football terminology but there's just some of those special coaches out there right that you see that know how to take whatever Roster They have a nick saban right and turn it into a championship caliber team Because it's not the texas and though, it's culture as well and you you create a culture that's like when you, come into this practice no one's better. Than the other person everyone treats, each other the same everyone works just as hard. As the, Other person you. KNOW i'll never forget i think IT was you and i were either questioning or Asking questions to coach papovich or We Were listening to david locke Ask him questions and Papovich said something. That i'll, NEVER forget he said I Can yell at tim DUNCAN the same way i can. Yell at a rookie and that's culture that he Created there at the spurs that made them such, a Winning franchise forever, and, mitjeris created that right, Winning coaches Create that that's what alex will. Be able, to create so again three to if you can, get four yeah studs but, THE rest of them i think he'll be able To recruit players From Utah or the mountain west area and just make up for what he doesn't have in a depth of seven players with really good, coaching with. Team BASKETBALL you Know so I hope spans and i believe that they're, capable of doing it that they can come up with a budget, to take, care of you know some. Of those big stars it might, not, happen NEXT year right but i Think as you give alex a chance to prove himself and he brings in some awesome assistance that can go out there and, FIND the right players.
Speaker 5: I think, it's doable all right.
Speaker 1: Let me move in this, DIRECTION because you know i can remember talking with you and some Other Alums as the larry kroscoviac era, was kind of unfolding and it FELT like there were i don't want, to Speak for you so i'm just gonna ask the question and. Give you the space it felt like there were maybe some alums That didn't feel. Like larry, was embracing you know That element of. WHAT utah basketball is, i Don't fully recall but i'm bringing It up because Then i'm gonna play devil's advocate, Here, A little bit, Brent and then again i'm just gonna lay back and. Give you THE space because when, i add josh on he referenced that a lot of Alums attempted to contact craig, during the four years and he wasn't necessarily. Amenable to those. Connections paraphrasing a bit you can Go Listen to the josh grant interview up. On our, podcast PAGE and look while i look AS much as anybody i respect and Appreciate the history of utah basketball and guys like you and that team THAT was around when i was in school with, YOU as your peer i don't know that it really is the job of the head coach to answer every alumni phone call when you have. A, job to do, SO to be clear i think there is a, role. FOR past, utes certainly I mean now that, Alex is the coach i'm. Sure it will change but what's fair to say about what portion of the job description says that that's something that You need to do and how do, You balance that line britt between appeasing the alums and. Also doing your job? Does, that make sense yeah.
Speaker 10: It's A good question every i feel like every alumni former player feels like they're not getting. TREATED like, GOOD enough I mean i remember i was mentored BY Some dude TO nc state when I Was, in the d league and he was COMPLAINING To me the nc state wasn't. Treating him good enough AND yet he and i sat on the FRONT Row Of An nc state, north Carolina basketball game, and, i'm looking around like what? Are you, Complaining about YOU know i've, heard byu, football players you know COMPLAIN that they're not i kind of feel like that it's just, something we all like if we're not getting all the gear we want and not being treated with, like front row tickets we all. JUST bitch and complain i think it's kind OF. Just, IN our, Dna so i mean josh might be, right about some STUFF but Every, time i called, craig he was nice, invited me to practice had me. Speak To the team but i'm a real likable guy and so people really.
Speaker 5: Liked having me.
Speaker 10: Around Something, Difference there, and josh i'm, LIKE he you know i don't know if i'd invite him.
Speaker 5: To, The dinner. Table No i'm kidding, if josh is listening he's gonna.
Speaker 10: HATE my guts listen i just think everyone kind of gets that still AND that mentality like i should be being treated, better. And who knows Right maybe maybe for craig because the team, wasn't doing that great it was hard for him to have some Of The former. Superstars josh grant around maybe for, him and his staff it just felt like almost like they. Were letting us, down so it's like what do you? Think they're gonna do call us up and invite us over? For breakfast, every morning, PROBABLY not, you, know i mean. Look winning solves everything it even solves like all of us former alumni guys boohoonne that we're not. Getting good enough treatment if if, the program is winning the doors. Are open and everyone they, want everyone to practice they want everyone. A part of it but That would just be My guess is that craig was probably not feeling like all that great and, And, AND you, know josh i know has A, good relationship with alex and so maybe they're Maybe he'll be inviting josh in every once in. A while into practice i don't, know What he wants but alex is going to, bring his, own team, his own you know his own coaching. STAFF that he wants I keep hearing rumor spence That He. MIGHT get andre miller i think it would be a smart, Move TO do that but i don't know right until you're like in that coaching world and you you're making all those daily, decisions and phone calls and you're in the, trenches the bus, trips the plane, trips the hotel trips and you're around the personalities you know that are going. To help, you, Win WHO knows right so i actually Have no idea who alex is going. TO bring, On board i mean i've had people texting me tell outs. To bring, you, In i'm like yeah I've Been working for general motors for the last nine years, in the car world he's going? To bring me in WHAT the hell am i going to tell all these players your tires look like they they have. Bad, Tread on, them like i'm like. People are so funny you should call you. To be, an, assistant, i'm, like good hell no he's not going to call me to Be an assistant if i'm going to.
Speaker 4: Go cheer, him on you know?
Speaker 1: Would you? Be interested for real would you be interested in being An Assistant? COACH for alex no i.
Speaker 10: Would be flattered, If he, ASKED me but no i. WOULD not be interested i just want. HIM to do well i want the, university TO do well and i. JUST want to quit i want to keep on complaining as A former player that i'm not getting, ENOUGH gear.
Speaker 1: And look i don't, mean, To, be disrespectful right, like by the? Way CAN you Imagine and i told josh this when we joined the show for our younger youth fans who didn't get. To See Him play if josh grant was born like ten, or fifteen years later he would have been A fifteen. Year.
Speaker 5: On, Ba. GAY yeah probably yeah.
Speaker 1: I always say. THAT about you too i don't mean.
Speaker 10: To, rub it, In no it's okay you've told me. That hundreds of times we've had wonderful. CONVERSATIONS on, that listen i mean you can sit and play the, game all the, TIME like you know i. SHOULD have dis career i. Should have that career at the, END of the day i got To Play, IN the national championship i got. To make amazing friends and now, when we have barbecues we all just sit around and make Fun Of coach with jeris god rest his, soul as he's dead and we just we, laugh our heads OFF you, know what i mean because what else is there to do other than just try to make fun of the situations we were in that. Were actually pretty brutal you would probably consider a lot of them. Straight up mental abuse the. Way he coached us he ain't coaching that. Way in today's world i'll. Tell you, that, much, but no no No.
Speaker 5: You can't go no But we had good we had a.
Speaker 10: Good group, of guys funny enough we, still have a thread a text, Message Thread, With, Myself Jeff, nick Jacobson Trace. Ktan and chris, burgess he's on there but we spend most of the TIME just ripping on byu because we're still mad at him for being a trader and leaving us. And going down there but we've kept him on the thread just because we feel like it's still the, good thing, to do.
Speaker 1: YOU know for sure i actually wondered if They would talk to burge about taking. The head coaching job but Since, you brought up burgess let, Me, move OVER here Britt, because i love.
Speaker 5: BURGESS by the way i think he's A, trader.
Speaker 1: Who doesn't Yeah, he's a good. Yeah everybody loves birds there's no there's nothing. Not to love it If You, don't like chris burgess, it's a, you problem quite, frankly but, let me let me let. Me discuss this dynamic you'll be good with, This because You know i've known alex a long Time. And his wife, natalie they're great people but you know them ON a. Level That i don't AND alex is what i would describe as a little. BIT of an introvert i don't think, that's a, Bad thing per se and don't mistake his quiet nature for anything other. Than him being introspective, But, is he going britt to have to come out of the? Show a little bit and you know a lot of guys that are a little bit quiet and. A little bit dry are the funniest guys behind the scenes with. Loud and funny personalities they just don't like to be front. Facing of the public so if we take Away the dynamic of alex as a coach and, a player developmental mind which, He's obviously elite, at alex the person what does that look like, on the recruiting, trail.
Speaker 10: You know what he'll, probably, have to adjust right just like all of us when we go into some kind. Of a new situation this is his first head coaching job as the. Face Of the, program, but alex actually, yeah he's.
Speaker 5: A funny. Witty guy YOU know he and i have a lot of the. Same similarities and movies we joke. About the same stuff.
Speaker 10: But, as far, as like you know just going in and sitting down in a living room and kind of, BRIGHTENING the, place up i mean that's okay that that's not like his like exactly like like, his number one strength but his ability to probably sit and tell a parent why his coaching style and what he already knows about the player and what they need to get better at and how he'll help THEM get to the nba or how he'll help them have the best career possible will probably be how he'll close deals, and so and WIN you, Know what i mean that's that's going. To be his strength will he probably find HIMSELF needing to, to i don't know get. A, LITTLE more enthusiastic. MAYBE i, don't know i, Mean for heaven's sakes mattereris came in my living ROOM and told me i looked like an age victim.
Speaker 5: Right to my.
Speaker 10: FACE to my parents I still sign and i still signed to go. Play WITH the guy so i did it BECAUSE they kept saying i Would Be the next van, horn. Or you know universe utah is the place to PUT, people into the, nba, so you know yeah thanks coach.
Speaker 5: For the WONDERFUL compliment? Where?
Speaker 10: Do i sign, yeah, kind OF weird right. But I, still went so again that was a different era, Than THE ERA.
Speaker 5: Today so, I i will adjust he'll.
Speaker 10: He'll figure it out he's actually a pretty fun, guy To be Around so i'm not i'm. Not worried about that and he's going to get some fun some probably. PRETTY dynamic, assistant coaches I mean that's where I Would ACTUALLY love i if i think about Being, AN assistant coach fance i would have a lot of fun going to people's living rooms and selling their kid on why they they would thrive and have A Phenomenal experience In, salt lake in utah, being around you, know incredible people there.
Speaker 5: Building a network there. It's a strong.
Speaker 10: Economy so if they want to try to have a, business mindset after. Basketball there's OPPORTUNITY.
Speaker 5: There that's where.
Speaker 10: I Would have fun but i'm too locked into a CAREER right now where i, don't Want to leave and i'm not About To pull a Josh grant and gog alex to, hire me on RADIO you.
Speaker 1: Know what i.
Speaker 5: Mean i'm just kidding, he didn't do that but it kind.
Speaker 1: Of, felt, Like That wow wow britton johnson coming, Off the top rope you're gonna get.
Speaker 10: A text for you you've heard the interview he was he Was pretty much making it's Not Like he and jimmy.
Speaker 5: Soto should be hired. Thought it was, funny, Good for HIM.
Speaker 1: Man britt AND i can probably. I conducted the interview. I didn't hear it i was the, one who.
Speaker 10: Interviewed, HIM that's right see I didn't put those i didn't put. Two and two together, you heard, THE interviews as hey i thought it was those bleep those bleepy you know what's down the street. ON the other station i don't know.
Speaker 1: What you're, talking about you know you have to you have to pull ratings to. Exist in this market only one afternoon. Drive show does so.
Speaker 10: One the ones that THICKEN fired me because i forgot the general. Managers, MEETING those.
Speaker 1: Guys, yeah i don't again it does not. STRIKE in a chord i don't know, what you're, Talking About you know lord voldemart stuff. Over on, THIS program you know i appreciate how. SELF deprecating you are i honestly think you'd be. A PHENOMENAL assistant coach i i really believe. THAT to be true i know, that you're locked in and you've, got a good career and, you guys, are doing you Know doing well down. South AND ALL that but i i always tried to BUILD up your Like I was the Doc Rivers to the britton johnson on THE radio right like i was trying to build up your confidence and remind you THAT you. Are an nba player you did, have a great career and you were again just a few years too late with how the modern. Day game is played you would have played in the PROS for for the, nba in you know for, More, THAN a decade britt i. Appreciate the self. DEPRECIATE here's the deal a guy built like YOU needs. The confidence i have the guy WITH the confidence that i have needs. To build like yours if if there was some way, to merge our strengths it would it would be we'd be the white lebron together as what, would be.
Speaker 5: Who's, wait wait a minute whose face?
Speaker 1: Would we, take mine, come, on come, on dude come on.
Speaker 5: Because You look LIKE bradley cooper.
Speaker 4: And, I.
Speaker 1: Stop it see i appreciate. You're, A. Handsome guy look. Lindsay lindsay's at ten she's. Not marrying, some goob all right, Take that as.
Speaker 5: Right like, you know she, doesn't, SO take that man. I ain't gonna lie.
Speaker 1: Lindza, is the. Best yeah he's great this is bringing this is. Bringing back GOOD memories so before i, See but that's, okay OH good man before, i set you loose you've kind. Of alluded to it the rumors are andre. As The lead assistant now andrea IS Coaching. In the, G league and look i OBVIOUSLY as a gen x or somebody who grew up in the nineties believes that the instant credibility and cashier you have when you walk Into A gym with andre miller on your bench is too. GOOD to pass up i don't know if the. Younger generation BELIEVES that but before, i set you loose what would you have to say to our listeners about the Type of assistant that Andre would make if alex goes In that direction and. Andre Takes, The job.
Speaker 5: Oh man And.
Speaker 10: My interactions with andre are always like surprising, because he was quiet but he's one of those guys that when you just get him talking and you get him kind of loosened, up a little bit he starts to, like really tell you like just how experienced. HE is, in life i mean because he grew up in one of the poorest aories Of, The, country in compton california but grew up with a phenomenal mom, that put education really really. High as a priority and then you take A black kid from compton Who Absolutely, Thrived, in, salt lake utah.
Speaker 5: Right and then he goes and HAS a.
Speaker 10: Nineteen year nba. CAREER now he's coaching i was with him when he learned A Water. Ski in lake powell he's one of these guys that he's always he's always absorbing information and trying to learn, as much as possible and you just. Appreciate that about him he's, easy to be around he's, fun to be around and he Makes you a better he's going to make you better player if. You Play with him but i'm almost, positive as a coach he's going to be. Able to, teach people you know, What he went through he's gonna be able to teach that and help them to gat make, themselves a better player whether, that's on the court whether that's making. Better Decisions in life andre andre coming from probably, not the, greatest influences you know In his child and i'm not talking about his, parents or his family but you know some of the trouble that you can get in in an area, like that growing up he became an incredible human being and made, a ton for himself not, only just in basketball but he's he's quite the. BUSINESS mind as well i know He And our.
Speaker 5: Buddy nick jacobson.
Speaker 10: Do some businesses together but then you don't just get handed a head COACHING Job in the g league in today's world unless you know, you're a good coach.
Speaker 5: Unless you show that you. CAN lead a team i think You.
Speaker 10: WOULD be phenomenal spins i don't know how you wouldn't. Want to take him.
Speaker 5: That Ultimately Is.
Speaker 10: UP to alex jansen i know that there's some. OTHER candidates out There i know that alex Is Still, close With Donnie daniels and donny daniels's son is coaching in the.
Speaker 5: College ranks right now.
Speaker 10: He's a Phenomenal coach and then alex probably has a list of guys that he's PASSED through in his nba career And His time at saint louis that we don't even know about that.
Speaker 5: He could bring in.
Speaker 10: That would, Be, awesome so, Yeah andre to, me phil's you know sounds. Like a No brainer but but I'm Gonna trust whatever alex jensen?
Speaker 1: Does you know what do you have time for one more because you? Just jarred by mind do you have time?
Speaker 2: For?
Speaker 10: ONE more question hey i mean your listeners are like just listening with, all yours right now like people have pulled over on the side of the road.
Speaker 4: To keep this.
Speaker 1: Going so let's go now that's what we DO that you and i, it's what, We do all right? So one more questionnaire because you just you just jarred something YOU Played, in the d league WHICH Is. Now The G league and Richard, smith you know smithy he's now a consistent. Guest on the show he did a really good job of kind of laying everything out last week about how hard it is TO Coach in the g league because, whether you're a player, whether you're a coach whether you're a front office exec or, a broadcast or whatever you don't. Want to be there you are there as a, means to an end as a conduit. To, The, big leagues so john what Does that say about alex, that in a difficult challenging coaching SPOT He won a g LEAGUE Title And won g League. Coach of the year?
Speaker 10: What, does, that say well listen it says it's enormous because everyone is like a wild dog, going after you know a mill that it hasn't had. For like, twenty days everyone's. Hungry you know players it was, funny BECAUSE you know when I Was, in the g, League in, my, mind i'm like okay this is in AS, hard as the nba but it WAS harder than the nba in. A, lot of WAYS spence you and I said and watched nba games guys don't play defense. The first three quarters there was there WAS a Night When i GUARDED kevin garnett, and i was, like oh my gosh like he doesn't seem like he cares. THAT he's guarding me i kind of just thought it because he could tell us because HE didn't. Know who i was but he's playing eighty two games and they start, to kind of sagger they, start to, sort of you know drag a little bit in the, middle of the season and then they saved it. For the fourth QUARTER Where, IN The, g league d, league the minor leagues from the moment, the ball goes up it's one. Hundred miles per hour everyone's trying to. Get out of there every coach is coaching. As intense as possible the. Referees are dialed, in the front, office like you. Said is dialed in so the intensity of it was insane because everyone. Wanted out, of there so yes for him to win in. An, environment like that look IT wasn't, like the ncaa tournament but, there was a physicality physicality and an aggressive and aggressive kind of manner on the floor that reminded ME of like the, ncaa tournament because again it was like, every man for himself but everyone trying to just absolutely go as hard as possible because you looked up in the stands and IT was, Full of nba scouts and if it wasn't, full of the scouts he knew every game your agent was trying to get the best game possible to send it. To THE next team so I think it's A it's remarkable that alex won a championship in that league because he was coaching in in.
Speaker 5: A very, INTENSE environment so yeah.
Speaker 10: I think that's huge i'm glad.
Speaker 5: You brought that up so we.
Speaker 1: Have, a developing situation porter before, we catch a break you Inform Me that one josh grant is open to an in studio interview If we can Get Britten. Up, from saint george, yeah let's, do it, All right, sounds fun all right we'll see If. We can get britt maybe He's Up here for alex Jensen's. Press conference on monday drive it Five time, on a thursday afternoon rains led up at Least. Out here in murray we are in the beginning stages of one of the biggest snowstorms that we've had so. Far in the mountains that's gonna take. Place over the weekend potentially a little snow on. The bench is tomorrow then It's gonna warm Up. Sunday and then monday but your Commute home on a thursday, afternoon starts right now and as, it is, every day every day it's gonna. Have you with us we are live today With Our. Friends at tim dolly we've been At A number, of tim dolly locations but today's a. New one For Us it's the tim Dally Used. Atto mart in murray it's Forty Five Forty. Five south main street so put THAT address in your gps and. Then following on out that's the. Best thing, to do trust me if you do not PUT, it in your gps you WILL get. Lost like i did so there's a cool thing. Going on right now there's a new piece of legislation that was introduced that could save. You thousands Of Dollars it's called senate bill, five four to one and you could potentially save up to four thousand dollars on A huge selection of ev and hybrid vehicles that. Qualify for the incentive the only way you'll know is if you come on out here and then sit down with them and ask him. What, the deal is so if you're in the market for a new car and you've never driven A hybrid, or an ev vehicle this could be your shot to do it and SAVE. Up to four k so Forty Five Forty five south main street is. Where you find us come on buy and say hello and inquire about whether or not you qualify for this this new deal where you could say four one thousand dollars off one of these vehicles at Forty Five Forty. Five south main street we also Have Passes for the sportsman's expo if. You're into such things if you're in hunting and Outdoors, and guns in america we'll send You There. At the sportsmen's expo so coming out forty Five To Forty. Five south Main street here in murray are Good friends at The. Tim Dally, used ottomart all right the five o'clock hour of the program today has brought to you by The twenty Twenty Five. Big twelve gymnastics championship you can watch the Best, Of the best saturday march the Twenty Second. At the mavericks center get Your tickets today. At Maverickscenter, dot com all right a couple of. Things going on here We got the players championship going on in the. World Of pro golf lucas glover's your leader in the clubhouse AT six Hundred Par byu and iowa state played a tremendous college. Basketball game this morning tipped off At Ten, thirty in kansas city, well ten thirty here but it Did Tip. Off in Kansas city it's The Phillips Sixty six big, twelve championship quarter final and you found out about two hours for tip that they were going to run into. Some Real, good fortune keishawn gilbert the Second Leading, scorer For Iowa, state and tamian Lipsei a two time Big Twelve point guard all, big twelve point guard did not, play due to injuries probably two of the Three Best players. On Iowa state's roster iowa. State came out gangbusters they could. Not Miss a shot curtis jones picked up the slack seven, to fifteen from three, he dropped thirty one and they could not miss. In THE first half and byu did everything they could just TO hang in because byu did not. Start off on fire then, IN the second half byu kind. Of flipped the script they were able, to knock down, shots and more importantly they Were able to contain iowa staying on THE defensive side and byu gets a win ninety. Six To ninety two brigham young has now won. Nine straight basketball games That is their, fifth quad one win and over the past couple of weeks They went down To. McHale and Beat Arizona they Dumped, truck kansas and provo and now they have Two Wins over an iowa state team that once upon a time was thought To be a potential FINAL four. Dark Horse dot contender richie saunders continued just to play his way Into consideration For the big Twelve. Player of, The year quite frankly richie, Had twenty three points he had five assists and twenty. Six minutes Of play former uk. Bacata had ten boards he. Also had nine points trevinell hit all four of, his three point shots he Had fourteen and fustre ori off the bench had fifteen points on. Five OF six shooting so byu was able to advance now to the semi finals where they Are. Going to play houston houston actually had a little bit of a More difficult TIME with colorado than i. Think anybody was expecting houston went into the locker room at half with, A five, point lead i believe but ultimately was able to hold Off a pretty pesky colorado team that may have been the worst team of, the Conference all year and houston gets to win seventy. Seven to sixty Eight so NOW it's houston And Byu in the. Big twelve semi finals AND if you're, a byu fan man this is the team that's playing AS well as any byu, team In my opinion, since furdet was around Since It was the jimmer. Jimmer years they've had they had Some Good, teams under mark pope but when you look at, this team on paper maybe they don't have the. TOP end Pro talent i think diegor demon is going to be, a very good pro but he's got a lot of work to. Do On, his game kennon catchings who is their other thought to, be legit pro prospect actually. Did not play TODAY he has missed i.
Speaker 5: Think.
Speaker 1: Five STRAIGHT Games now so byu houston Tomorrow at, five o'clock mountain time And it is The Phillip Sixty six Big twelve championship semi final for the chance to Go play In. THE big twelve final byu at this point obviously is a LOCK to. Make the ncaa tournament can they get higher? THAN a five. SEED i, don't know i mean If they, WIN the big twelve i think you have to make an argument they might be a top three or. A top four Seed right now, In Big two Action texas tech leads. Baylor eighteen to eight Tonight it's Gonna be kansas and arizona and that game will be at SEVEN point THIRTY On. Espn and espn Plus The winner of kansas arizona we'll advance on to Play The Winner, of baylor texas tech and the winner of that game will PLAY the Winner. Of byu and houston so it Is. THE madness of march a lot of fun action. Going On right now utah states. Turn will be TONIGHT. They're taking on unlv that's gonna be a nine to thirty Tip time At The thomas And Max, Center. In Las vegas nevada utah state a slight. Favorite in that game this is a Quarterfinal, matchup for the aggies So We'll see if jared calhoun and his team can. Continue to, march on. YOU know it's interesting i was gonna do a segment today on prospects for you guys TO Watch during the Ncaa Tournament And, the march madness tournament or i should say. The conference championship tournaments but the Three best prospects for jazz fans to hone in on one we may not. See for a minute so the big story, out of college football excuse me college Basketball Today is that cooper Flagg had to LEAVE duke's win over I Think it. Was georgia Tech Today duke beat georgia tech seventy Eight To seventy and cooper flagg left that game, with a sprain ankle and if, you watch the replay it looks like one of those sprain ankles that could keep. You Out for weeks and duke has already ANNOUNCED that while the x, rays came back negative he is questionable the rest of THE way in the acc tournament and they don't know HIS Status. For The Ncaa, tournament so cooper flagg of course the best prospect in all of, college basketball this year but the other two prospects are. Going Home As well so dylan harper And If you, miss tony jones earlier Some good STUFF From, Tony On nba prospects dylan harper appears to have played himself into, that number two spot and. It's not Really close dylan AND rutgers lost to usc Yesterday Out, of the big ten which. Still Feels Really. Weird, BIG ten tournament Yesterday usc he took rutgers overtime. And Then Beat them so dylan harper. Played forty six minutes he, had twenty, seven points, eight assists, eight boards two steals. A couple of blocks he was only one, of eight from three did get to, the free throw line made all eight of. His free free Throws Then his teammate ace bailey yesterday in thirty, three minutes of play went seven to, thirteen from the, floor had, seventeen points. Seven boards three. Steals but they're done, they're not going. Dancing and they're done as It Pertains To, the big ten tournament it's weird that two OF the three best nba draft prospects plays for a team then went eight of eight and twelve in conference play and. Fifteen AND seventeen overall so i wasn't gonna, do That Segment today but cooper flag might not play the, rest OF the Way and. Usc Eliminated Rutgers yesterday the utah. Jazz are off tonight they're Gonna Welcome in the toronto raptors coming up tomorrow Night here and Saw Lake. At The delta center The jazz played the grizzlies last night and they had a one fifteen to One fourteen and then memphis scored the final eight. Points Of the game john moran hit a three Point shot and the jazz go. Home losers once again seven Straight. L's for the jazz they've lost nine of their last ten games in this battle to attempt to stay in the bottom. Three in pro basketball if you stay in the BOTTOM, three in the nba you have a fourteen percent chance at the, number one overall pick and hopefully you just stay in the top. Three In the draft the draft lottery night will Come, our way in May and, as a jazz fan that might be the next night you. Can Actually get excited the jazz were fine one hundred thousand dollars yesterday for violating the, league's player participation policy and it came As a result of lowry market and missing nine games when according to what, The league found. Out lowry was healthy. That's not breaking News we know that walker's been healthy when. They've held him out we know that. Marketing has been healthy we know that most of the players they hold out. Incrementally Have been healthy but lowry falls into what is categorized. As a quote player and the reason he falls into that category Is He. Was an all star now a, couple of years, ago not this, year not last year but the year before when the Game Was, Here in salt Lake Larry was an all star and that's recent enough for him to fall into this category that IF you are an nba team and you have a star player, quote unquote star player if you hold him out consecutively during a stretch, in which he's healthy and they also lean into road games. And Nationally televised games the jazz don't have any nationally televised games because nobody. Wants to watch them but this is this is the deal As a result of Larry Actually Making, the all star game and under these stipulations and, guidelines in pro basketball if you have one of those players on your roster and you make the decision to hold him out more than a few games when all indications, are that he's healthy. You, will be fine, now a Second offense if the, jazz do THIS again and, the nba, finds them, you know you know breaking these. Protocols the second offense the second offense will be a two hundred and, Fifty thousand dollars fine the third offense is a one point two, five million dollar fine and then every defense after that it's a million dollars. On TOP of it So i, know the jazz ownership they've. GOT plenty of money i can TELL you one thing i, know about rich people being around, a lot of them none of them. Like to Lose money so the jazz will walk them in the raptors as they continued kind of their. March to the bottom kind of A fun. Night of nba basketball Last Night Saw the oklahoma city thunder Take Care of THE Boston. CELTICS at td garden a lot of people believe THAT'S Kind of. An nba finals matchup. Only, time Will, tell cleveland certainly denver they'll have some things. TO say about that a little bit of a lighter night. In pro basketball tonight there was. Some Breaking news earlier darren fox is Having surgery for the spurs and so he's out the. Rest of the way We'll see if the spurs are fined because my guess is, he Doesn't Need it But San Antonio, loses victor weman yama and so they have decided to go all. In On being bad turner sports has a double. Dip for You tonight it's The lakers and the buck that's your early game coming up. At about Thirteen minutes then the lake Game will be The. Kings and the warriors special thanks to our Good Friends today The Tim. Dolly used ottle mart it's Forty Five Forty. Five south. Main street stop buy if you, couldn't make it today stop by tomorrow and find out if you qualify for this four Thousand Dollars savings with senate, bill five four one and you can save FOUR grand on a ev. Or a hybrid vehicle they're, qualified for this incentive but you got to come out here and. They'll let you know you can save Four, grand on A, TESLA, On An audi bmw. Pollstar Ka and more so, i'm running out though. So come on buy, not all buyers qualify so come on out and check it out at Forty Five Forty five south main Street here. On this thursday afternoon so special thanks to them for. Having us, out today all right, from a local Perspective It really, is utah state tonight. And That's about it UTAH state's taking on unlv and you got. To stay up late that's a Nine to thirty. Pm Mountain Time tip utah Hockey Club and the utah jazz are. Both In Action tomorrow The hockey club's in seattle To Take on the kraken, what a weird Name and then The jazz are hosting toronto Tomorrow Night here in Salt Lake. At, THE delta center saturday i will. Bring Us Some Soccer The, utah royals, ali sendner my goodness she is a rising star in the world. Of women's professional soccer they are on The road at THE bay and then rsl is on The. Road taking on houston so that's. Your soccer weekend ahead, and then earlier today as we've, Discussed On the show brigham Young Took care of iowa state ninety six to ninety two to advance to these Semi finals Of the Big. Twelve championship, Against, houston all right porter hopefully we are not responsible For any. Ute on Youte Crime after, the Britton Johnson hit, THE josh grant hit i feel like we may have been directly responsible for what could. Become an untenable situation.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe or maybe we're responsible for a situation that could bring us some some really good radio in the means. Of getting them together, that's MY goal ultimately and i think. IT would be fun i think it would be fun because these two going back and forth on them, going back and forth but it's Really just the spider man meme. Pointing at each other they kind of sound exactly like Each, other outside, of britain you know being Very Content.
Speaker 1: Working for general motors.
Speaker 2: It seems like they're kind, of on similar wavelengths but approaching it maybe with, a little different perspective which is actually kind of. FUN to dive into.
Speaker 1: I gotta be honest after Listening Back to, the britton johnson interview. Well a couple, THINGS first of all i cannot believe how bad my. Voice sounds this week so let me repeat this before. We say good night if this is your first time, LISTENING to this show i really hope you give us. ANOTHER shot next week I don't usually sound i am, sick as a dog so getting through these shows this week has. Been AN absolute bear but i did not understand how poor my voice sounded until. We Played that back but britton Took. Some shots, at josh you know he basically he said he was, begging For a job and i'm sure a Guy As proud as josh. Grant didn't love that but at the, end of the day hopefully it's all love because both of them, wanted the same Thing And that is alex jetson as the Head coach of the utes and. That's what we got, so there, You, Go all right porter before we get out Of, here for a thursday what comes Our way on a friday.
Speaker 2: Edition of The, Show, on a friday spence we will catch Up with a guy dave mcmannimon to he had To Stop on to sports center when he was gonna, come on with us so got.
Speaker 1: CALLED into.
Speaker 2: The flagship, I know More Important i guess chris camronnie will Stop by on a friday. As he Usually does paul pug meyer will give us THE Latest in. The pga, tour world of course we'll get the update live from, the tournament This weekend And then ken palm roy to, Finish off the week we're gonna spend an entire hour with probably the premiere voice And IT Comes To. Bracketology ncaa March Madness it Is Ken palm and ken palmroy to, finish off the Week, going into selection sunday going into conference tournament. STUFF should be exciting.
Speaker 1: I can promise you if you are tasked with, filling out a bracket whether, it's a family challenge a friend, challenge or work challenge and you don't, Know What you're doing ken palmeroy is the guy that, You should listen to so. Tune in For that, on a friday show, We'll say goodnight, Special Thank, You Too, Tony Jones, josh grant neil smith as Well As. The great britain Johnson for any of saundy may have, missed from the show head on, over to THE website which is espn seven. Hundred sports dot com make sure to download our mobile app and take, us on the go and then finally check out our podcast page when. We have a moment we. Do have a pod we podcast our show and it's good for you because you can listen to whatever part of it you want. To on Your Time it's Called. The drive with spence check its that's available wherever. You, get, your, show subscribe rate, review say nice things give. Us all the Stars it helps for tara my onside tech port of, the producer this Show. My name is spence check it saying to Night and. Enjoy your thursday evening talk To you on a friday drive as well as you can catch IT right here on espn seven hundred