Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Path Went Chile for part two of our series about the murders of Harry and Meghan Twos. Robin, do you want to catch everyone up from what we talked about in our previous episode.
Speaker 2: Well, this is the first case that we've covered on the Path Went Chili from Wales. It takes place at a farm outside a small village called one Hoari. The victims are sixty five year old Hairy Twos and his sixty seven year old wife, Megan Twos. We have a daughter named Cheryl who has been in a relationship for ten years with her boyfriend Jonathan Jones. In July of nineteen eighty three, Harry and Meghan were reported missing after they seemingly disappeared from their farmhouse. But shortly after the police launched an investigation, they wound up discovering Harry and Meghan's bodies inside a cowshd on the property, and they had both been shot once in the head with a shotgun, and it seemed apparent that because there were no signs of forest entry, that they invited the killer into their home and were probably in the midst of serving them tea when for one reason or another, the couple were taken out to the cowshd and both fatally shot. The police immediately focused on Jonathan Jones, as they thought he didn't seem emotional enough about the death of his in laws, and they wound up finding a thumbprint on a saucer beneath the tea cup that was found on the Tuesdays dining table, But Jonathan argued that because he frequently visited the house that he could have left the thumb print there on a previous occasion, or when he arrived at the murder scene, he may have been in such a state of shock that he could have touched the saucer without even realizing it and has no recollection of it. The police still felt that he wanted to kill Harry and Meghan because Cheryl stood to inherit their one hundred and fifty thousand pound estate and Jonathan really wanted the money, so they argued that even though they lived in a district of London, that Jonathan made the two hundred male trip from London to lo Hari and killed the Twoses before coming back without his wife even noticing. He didn't really have a strong alibi, but there was also no evidence placing Jonathan and lan Hari either other than the thumb print on the saucer, and the murder weapon was also never found. But in spite of this, the police still charged him with a double homicide and Jonathan went on trial and was found guilty by majority of ten to two. But immediately after the trial, the judge expressed his concern about the conviction, saying that he had doubts about Jonathan's guilt and even wrote a letter about that expressing his concerns, and Jonathan was in prison for about a year before his case was heard before the Court of Appeal and they decided to overturn his conviction and he was finally released from prison. So, for the longest time, the police still maintained that Jonathan was the killer and they didn't decide to look at any other suspects or any other potential leads. But in recent years they have finally changed this mindset, and in December of twenty twenty five, just a few weeks before we recorded this episode, they announced that they had arrested an eighty six year old man on suspicion of murder in this case. By at the time of this recording, they still haven't revealed this man's name. They haven't said anything about what new evidence led to this arrest, and he has also been released on bail. He has not been formally charged yet, and thus far the police are being very secretive about this case, and we still don't know at this point if this man will ever be formally charged or if we'll ever learned information about who he is and what led him to becoming a suspect on the police's radars. So we're going to spend the second part of this series talking about the case and these new implications. So I've covered a number of cases on this podcast which have never reached definitive conclusion because the authorities initially arrested or convicted the wrong person. And some of those cases you get the impression that investigators developed serious tunnel vision and ignored obvious leads to focus on the wrong individual. But in the case of Harry and Megan TWS, it seems like there was very little to work with at all. I definitely believe that on the basis of the evidence against him, Jonathan Jones never should have gone to trial for these murders, let alone been convicted. But at the same time, I can understand why the South Wales police would have zeroed in on him as a potential suspect, since nothing about this crime makes any sense. It's sound as like investigators had reached a complete dead end, so when they discovered Jonathan's thumb print on the saucer on the twos's dinner table, they decided to focus all their energies on him, even though there was really no other evidence to implicate Jonathan or place him at the murder scene. I guess on the surface, the idea of him murdering his in laws to cash in on his girlfriends one hundred and fifty thousand pounds inheritance might not seem like an implausible motive, especially when you consider that there doesn't seem to be a discernible motive for anyone else to have committed this crime. This seemed like the work of some cold calculated assassin, as both Harry and Meghan were shot in the back of the head execution style. Who would want to target this seemingly harmless elderly couple. While Jonathan had his conviction quashed and was released from prison, he technically was an exonerated per se and declared to be factually innocent. It's not like there was some slam dunk DNA evidence to clear him. But as we're going to talk about a bit later, the recent arrest of another suspect on suspicion of murder might finally lead to Jonathan receiving full vindication. I hate to refer to any wrongfully imprisoned individual as lucky, but Jonathan actually lucked out better than most people in his situation, since he was released only a year after he was originally convicted. However, this was still an extremely traumatic ordeal for Jonathan and his loved ones, and I don't think they've ever really recovered.
Speaker 3: No, how could you, Because even though he was released a year later and that they had actually squashed or responged the charges against him, the reality is is that the police and many family members still believe that they had gotten the right man. Why would you go to all the links of taking him to trial, of making sure that he was convicted if you weren't one hundred percent sure? And so I think that the loom of people suspecting him, the police treating it again from the get go. Once he was released, the police told Jonathan and Cheryl, guess what we're not hunting for anyone else because we're convinced we got the right man. So that wait for anyone, much less two new parents, people who had just lost their parents. All of that has to be so heartbreaking. And to think they were a strange from a lot of their other family that could have been support for them as well.
Speaker 1: And can you imagine, like it's nineteen ninety three when this took place, and I mean, I don't remember what year forensic files came out, but as far as true crime shows and the public's knowledge of investigations and the fallibility of police officers, there was more trust back then in that if you were accused of a crime, you most certainly were guilty, otherwise they wouldn't be wasting resources taking you to trial. Now we're a lot more discerning when we look at these cases because we've seen so many wrongful convictions where police got tunnel vision, the prosecutor got it wrong, and these people are actually innocent, and some of them are still in prison, like Tommy Ziegeler Robin's pat case. So I think when you look at it through the lens of nineteen ninety three, or when the trial happened, originally in nineteen ninety five, you have these family members going he did it. Maybe they didn't have the evidence, but otherwise they wouldn't have brought him to trial.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can only imagine there was a major social stigma for Jonathan and Cheryl after he was released from prison, because the police never did say made a mistake or exonerated him or said he was innocent. So I'm sure he had to go on trying to live a normal life again, raising a child, with a lot of people out there who were probably still convinced that he was a murderer who got off easy.
Speaker 1: They lived in London, right, and this took place in Lanhari and Wales. So do we know what type of coverage this case got in London?
Speaker 2: A pretty decent amount because they were originally from there. And I remember when I researched my trail in cold Episode, I found a lot of old newspaper coverage in at newspapers dot Com and a lot of London newspapers. So yeah, even though it took place in a small village in Wales, it got coverage all over the United Kingdom.
Speaker 1: So by the time Jonathan was arrested, Cheryl had become pregnant, but the whole situation caused severe post traumatic stress disorder, and she began to suffer from a rare condition during her pregnancy, which caused a cartilage between the bones and her body to waste away. After Cheryl's son was born, the cartilage started to recover, but not throughout her entire body. As a result, Cheryl partially lost her hearing, and to this day it's very difficult for her to walk without support. By all accounts, Cheryl was usually a shy, quiet woman, but Jonathan's wrongful incarceration turned her into a fighter, and her loyalty to him helped insure his release. This alienated her from the rest of her extended family, who were very outspoken about their belief that Cheryl was helping get a killer out of prison. However, Cheryl maintained that she and Jonathan both had a very close relationship with her parents, whereas those other family members barely saw Harry and Meghan while they were alive, and only started coming out of the woodwork when their murders received national headlines. Of course, fe ordeal pretty much caused Cheryl and Jonathan to lose all faith in the justice system. And during a two thousand and eight interview with Wales Online, Jonathan stated, quote, we may be walking down the street and I'm eating a Mars bar, for example, and I will put a rapper in the bin and Cheryl will pull it out in case the crime is committed nearby and the police would come along and find my DNA. That's the sort of paranoia that's still with both of us to some extent.
Speaker 3: End quote, how incredibly heavy to think about when you think about this idea that they can't even go on a walk without it being in the really the forefront of Cheryl's mind, that I have to protect him still, that it happened once, it could easily happen again, that he could be falsely accused of something, and I sure don't want there to be any kind of evidence that could link him to this location. And she's not doing that because she thinks there's any guilt there. She's doing it because it is this PTSD or complex post traumatic stress disorder where she truly lives in fear that another bungle is going to happen in some kind of investigation and her husband's going to be taken away from her again, and so that speaks to kind of the emotional weight that she's under even decades later. But think about this. That emotional weight is what's killing her body. It's that stress and that trauma that is physically eating her and changing the way that her body's able to function. And so it's you see physically on Cheryl the weight that this case had on them. And like she said, you know, those two were very close to her mom and dad. But when the trial came, and when she was being an advocate for her future husband and the father of her child and for a person that her parents loved, then these people start coming out. They're like, you know, that's an uncle I haven't seen in four years. This guy hadn't talked to my parents in ten years, and yet here he is the biggest advocate against my husband, and you know, my parents number one advocate in fan to make sure justice is done. I can't imagine what the estrangements, plus this kind of almost false affection for her parents must have felt.
Speaker 1: Like Robin, was it polychondritis? Is that what she was suffering from?
Speaker 2: I'm not entirely sure because I didn't put it in the script, so I'm guessing I didn't get a specific term when I did my original research for the script, but are you looking it up now? Is that.
Speaker 1: No. I did that specialization in autoimmune diseases, and that is one that causes wasting of cartilage. So I was just curious if that's what it was, especially because most autoimmune diseases happen in women, and most of them happened after a significant trauma, so all of that would line up with that being possibility.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would make sense. I do remember when I read that interview with Cheryl, it just the article just said it was a condition that caused her cartilage to get weak in but I don't think it actually gave the specific term. So the fact that Jonathan and Cheryl were so close to Harry and Meghan and often visited their farm makes it seem plausible that Jonathan's thumbprint could have wound up on that saucer on a previous occasion prior to the murders. Cordatively, Jonathan could have touched the saucer when he traveled to the farmhouse after the murders and not even realized it without the thumb print. The other alleged evidence against Jonathan was incredibly weak, such as him supposedly not reacting much when he learned that Harry's body had been found. It seemed like the prosecution's case was based around discrediting Jonathan's alibi that he was in Orpington on the day of the crime. But the problem is that they didn't actually offer much evidence which proved that Jonathan was in Longhi committing the crime during that time period. Remember, traveling from Orpington to Long Harian back is a nearly four hundred mile round trip and it would be pretty difficult to do so without being seen by any eye witnesses or leaving a paper trail or physical evidence behind. It's one thing if no witnesses were called seeing Jonathan in Orpington, a section of Greater London which has a population of around ninety thousand, but in a small village like on Hai. I think that a distinctive six foot five individual like Jonathan would have stood out a lot more. Yet no one reported seeing him there that day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's really interesting. You look at this idea that yes, he was alone during the day and he didn't really have an alibi witness that could help place him somewhere. No one else was able to say We saw Jonathan on this route via a car, We saw him on this route via a train, We saw him in this tiny town. Even though he's a distinct man, right, he's very tall. I just I don't see it. I don't see how he's going to love on Cheryl, tell her goodbye, go murder her parents when his wife's expecting a baby, their first baby. No way, there's just no way. They were more valuable to them alive than they were deceased. Even when you look at the financial support, when you think about my parents could help us with daycare. My parents could help us each year. You know, my parents could long term be you know, caregivers for him when we're at work, whatever it is. They could have made plans with their parents to be far more profitable to them than a one time inheritance that wasn't even you know, it was a lot of money, don't get me wrong, but you know, two hundred thousand dollars back in nineteen ninety three. But is it worth killing them over And when you look at the idea that Cheryl had a business plan, she was a very motivated individual, that Jonathan was super supportive, that they seem to really have their life put together. I say absolutely not.
Speaker 1: That's the tricky thing about alibis a guilty person who commits a crime might go the extra mile to fabricate an alibi for himself, whereas a completely innocent person is just going to be living out a routine, ordinary day and not thinking too much about their actions. If Jonathan's account is accurate, then his day was completely unremarkable, as he spent most of his time alone during such mundane tasks as looking for offices, walking around, and watching television in his flat. Jonathan said that he briefly spoke to some lift engine years in his building around the approximate time period his in laws were likely murdered, and if they'd been able to corroborate his story, this would have proven that Jonathan couldn't have committed the crime. When these lift engineers were called upon to testify at the trial, they did not recall speaking to Jonathan that day, But keep in mind that this was years after the facts, so it's not surprising that they may not have been able to recall such a mundane event from an ordinary day. I know that the trial judge, Justice Richard Rugier helped pave the path from the quashing of Jonathan's conviction when he sent off letters openly expressing his surprise at the guilty verdict. But ironically enough, Rougier may have inadvertently paved the way for this verdict when he gave the instructions to the jury before deliberations. Part of Jonathan's alibi was that he had been watching a cricket match on TV at his flat in the afternoon of the crime, and during this testimony, Jonathan provided specific details about the match, including how the commentators had mentioned stoppages for rain well during his instructions, just as Rugier told the jury that there'd been no rain stoppages during that particular match, which was a bit misleading. Jonathan never said he witnessed any stoppages for rain, only that the commentators had talked about the subject. Rugier received criticism for potentially misdirecting the jury, so I think his letter expressing doubt about the verdict were his attempt to make things right. I know that Rugier stated that if Jonathan was guilty of this crime, he was exceptionally cunning, because you'd think that a guy with no criminal record who'd supposedly not handled the gun in two decades would leave a lot more dowbing evidence behind if he took such a lengthy trip in order to commit a double murder.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, And I love when you said that the problem is when you have someone who's innocent, it's so much more difficult to prove your actual innocence, because if you were going to plot a murder, you do something like the Menindas brothers, right, went and bought movie tickets to confirm that we were at the movies when this happened. Or you would make sure that you you know, filled up with gas somewhere in your town, or ate at a diner somewhere that you made a big hoop lob, like hey, guys, good to see you. We should hang out soon, like remember you saw me? Right, You start to lay out a path or a trail that when you do need someone to say, hey, we saw him. Did they remember you? When you have zero accountability to a crime and you're asked, hey, what were you doing that day? What I do every day, it's pretty boring. I woke up, I cleaned the house, I went for a walk, I said hey to some lift guys. That's about it. Waited for Cheryl to come home, because that's his normal day. I guarantee you if they had planned out a four hundred mile round trip murder to make sure that they got this money, there would have been clear things put in place to make sure he got home to his child and was not sent to prison away from this new baby he was about to have. He would have laid groundwork to make sure there was evidence available to prove his whereabouts because he had actually plotted an alibi.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 3: Poor Jonathan was innocent, so he had nothing to prove, and he couldn't prove it.
Speaker 2: I've actually seen other cases where people have traveled lengthy distances from their home in order to commit crimes, and then they'll go to like a drive through and then get a like a McDonald's or something and get a timestamp receipt just so they could show to the police later on say, hey, look at me, I was in such and such a town at this time, so I couldn't have driven like one hundred miles to commit this murder. But it only makes the investigators more suspicious, like why are you saving a receipt from like buying a food at a restaurant like weeks earlier, why do you still have it? So it looks obvious that they're trying to fabricate an alibi for himself. But here Jonathan didn't attempt any of that. He just said, oh, I spent the day like wandering around London walking and I talked to these lift engineers. But it didn't really look like he was like trying to plan this four hundred mile round trip and establish an alibi for himself. So, following Jonathan's release from prison, it seemed to take a while for the South Wales Police to finally acknowledge that there might be another killer out there somewhere, but they ultimately did launch a new investigation, and of course another suspect has recently been taken into custody. Given that a neighbor reported hearing two gunshots from the two's property at around one thirty PM, and Harry and Meghan were each shot once, is reasonable to assume that this is when the murders took place, and since no one showed up at the farm to check on the couple until several hours later, the killer would have had ample time to cover up the crime and dispose of evidence. Once you discount the idea, that the Twoses were murdered so that their daughter could inherit the estate. There doesn't seem to be any apparent motive for this crime, as Harry and Megan didn't have in, you know, enemies, and nothing appeared to have been stolen from the residents. I started to wonder if the whole thing might have just been some sort of thrill kill from someone who just wanted to murder a random couple and selected the Twoses because they happened to live on an isolated farm. However, since the afore mentioned teacup and saucer were found on the dining room table and the couple appeared to be in the midst of preparing lunch, it does seem like the killer was invited into their home. Everyone who knew the Twoses said that they never brought out that particular China teacup unless they had a guest. The circumstances of how Harry and Meghan were shot and how their bodies wound up in the cowshd are not entirely clear. It seems like Harry was shot just inside the cowshed's front door, and Megan was shot outside before her body was dragged in there. And they were both concealed. It's possible that Megan was inside the cowshd when her husband was shot and attempted to make a run for it, or she heard the shot from inside the farmhouse and came running outside before she was ambushed. For all we know, the killer may have led Harry and Megan to the cowshed at gunpoint, or Harry escorted the perpetrator in there and was taken by complete surprise when he was shot. We have on Ai pom prints on the farmyard gates and the farmhouses front door which did not match the twoses Cheryl or Jonathan, and they may belong to the killer. But since the police did not do a good job preserving the crime scene, it sounds like there isn't much in the way a physical evidence at all.
Speaker 3: You know, when you think about the tea set, we are convinced that they had have known these people. What if I mean, I don't know. I think about my southern mother, right, she's not in Wales. However, if there was someone who had come to the door and was talking to my parents and was like, you know, yeah, I just I'm so sorry I got lost. I thought, you know, I needed some help. I need to use your phone, and they have a sob story or they're talking to you. I could easily see my mom saying, well, while you wait for you know them to call you back, or while you wait for you know someone to come pick you up, let me make you a cup of coffee, let me make you a cup of tea, and just being a hostess, she'd grab whatever was right there, right which could have been that cute little tea and made a cup of tea. Now more likely that they knew the person. But could they have been helping someone who had mental health issues and they knew that person and they were someone that they really cared for. I feel like they would have told Cheryl about you know, we have this troubled friend. They come and check on us, you know, we're trying to help him out. But I could see someone with a mental illness who they knew and cared for and didn't realize they were that sick. Turning on them doesn't have to be a motive for money, doesn't have to be something that seems logical. Could have been a thorough kill. Like Jules just said, but or Robin just said, but to.
Speaker 2: Me, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Saying that it had to be someone they know, I think is closing the circle too quickly. I think it's probable they knew them, but I don't think it has to be one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: I certainly don't discount the idea that the killer was a stranger, because Alan Harry sounds like one of those places that you hear about in true crime shows where they would use the cliche no one ever had to lock their doors because obviously it was not a place that had a lot of mind crime. So I'm sure Harry and Meghan were probably never thinking that someone was going to stop by the residents and decide to kill them. So if a stranger did show up, I think that they were friendly enough that they wouldn't have felt threatened and just invited this person inside and still been taken by complete surprise when they decided to kill them.
Speaker 1: So the contents of those letters that law enforcement received is that where they got the suggestion for who might have committed this crime, and that led them to the eighty six year old man.
Speaker 2: I'm not entirely sure, because I think they got those letters many years ago, so I'm thinking, yeah, it was an I think it was around like two thousand and three or so, like over twenty years. So obviously, if they had information which led them to a suspect, I don't think they would have taken this long to arrest them. So we still don't know the contents of those letters, but I have a feeling that it was probably different evidence which led to them arresting this person very recently.
Speaker 1: Do you think that there was a possibility that the investigators that were on the case in two thousand and three really convinced that it was Jonathan, so they didn't really look into the contents of the letters so deeply. But then maybe when they reapproached it, it was new investigators, fresh set of eyes, maybe not the bias towards Jonathan that the previous investigators had, and so when they looked at it they saw something completely different.
Speaker 2: That is possible because two thousand and three is when they started coming around and thinking, Okay, let's look at other alternate suspects and reopen the investigation. But I'm not sure that they were fully convinced yet that Jonathan was innocent. But that is how a lot of these cold cases got solved, involving wrongful convictions where years passed, they get new investigators on the case, they're not worrying about the political aspect. And then they get someone on the case he decides, I don't care if this makes our department look bad. I just want to get to the truth. And that's when they finally wind up apprehending the real killer. But I know that in twenty twenty three they said that they were doing new forensic testing on some items of evidence in the case, So I still inclined to believe that maybe that is what led them to this eighty six year old man.
Speaker 1: So who did we have in the wave of alternate suspects? While obviously an eighty six year old male suspect was recently taken into custody on suspicion of murder, but since investigators have not yet released any details about who this person is, we can still speculate about their identity. In the weeks prior to the murders, two eye witnesses claimed they drove past a man in a trench coat and dark sunglasses walking down the road in the direction of the Jos's farm. He was carrying a hold all bag and when he noticed the car passing by, the man apparently made an attempt to conceal his face, and the witnesses were pretty certain that he was not Jonathan Jones, as he was described as being considerably shorter than Jonathan at around five foot nine. We've had police provide descriptions of vehicles which were supposedly seen in the area on the day of the crime and have never been located, and there have also been vagar from neighbors that they heard loud arguing from the Tuesdays property during this time period. But I think the most intriguing lead was provided by a solicitor who claimed that Harry visited his office a week before the murder took place and was accompanied by a middle aged man whom he described as a plummy voice stranger. In case you're not familiar with that term, the definition of plummy is used to describe a low voice or way of speaking using long vowels, of a type thought to be typical of the English upper social class. The solicitor said that Harry inquired about his mother in law's will, as Megan's mother had left them the farm when she passed away years earlier. This meeting was described as being tense, and while details are pretty vague. The plummy voice stranger has never come forward or been identified.
Speaker 3: Very interesting. So you see Harry show up with this stranger and the solicitors like, I have no idea whose person was, but they were inquiring about Harry's mother or mother in law's will, saying that, you know, this farm had been left to them. He's inquiring about kind of their ownership and what the will specified in there with another man present. Again, it seems like if he was going to try to maybe solidify something for his own will, if he was trying to gather information for a business deal. It seems like something he would have spoken to his adult daughter about. You know, it's not like she's an eighteen year old and he doesn't want to bother her with financial issues or any kind of business decisions. I feel like when my parents are trying to investigate wills in the family, when they're trying to make a property sale, anything like that, I'm aware of it. So it's odd. Who was this person with him? And it seemed quote tense. Was this someone he was trying to make a business deal with? Was it somebody who thought that Harry owed him something? Again, is this something that would have been kept from Cheryl maybe if they thought they were kind of at risk or being exploited for something. But very interesting, and who's to say that that man that some of the witnesses saw walking that clearly was not Jonathan wasn't that eighty six year old man.
Speaker 2: That is possible, And it just seems strange to me that this lead with the plummy voice stranger wasn't treated with more seriousness at the time after the murders took place. And I think that was probably because they were so focused on Jonathan. And I don't know when this lead with the plummy voice stranger came about, but if it was years after Jonathan's conviction was overturned, that might be why it's so vague, Like maybe this solicitor came forward and says, oh, yeah, I remember several years later, Harry was in my office with this stranger. And that's why we don't have more specific details about what this meeting was about. But it seems to me that if the investigators had learned about this right from the outset, then this plummy voice stranger should have become the lead suspect.
Speaker 1: I feel like they released the details about him being a plumby voice stranger, But why don't we have more details about what approximate age he was, how tall he was? In ways it would obviously be excluding of Jonathan, so it could be inclusive of other people though, if we knew more information, and if we knew more about why it was tense, and what direction was that energy coming from. Was it the stranger or was it from Harry? And because they go back to what Ashley said, maybe they wanted to know the value of the farm because Harry had a potential debt. But it makes me wonder and I don't know if you have the answer to this, Robin, but did anybody else have a financial motive to end the lives of Harry and Meghan any other family members?
Speaker 2: Well that's what I've always wondered about, because they mentioned something about his mother in law's will, and I know that Megan had at least one brother, and I don't know if their deaths would cause that person or anyone else from Megan's side of the family to inherit anything. So that's why I wish we had more specific details about why Harry was suddenly interested in this will, considering that they had lived on the property for thirty years, So why did they have to go in at this particular time and see a solicitor? And why would Harry bring along this guy that no one seems to know his identity? So interestingly enough, prior to this meeting at the solicitor's office, Harry made a phone call to the National Farmers Union where he claimed that someone was trying to a victim, but never offered any additional information. So if Harry feared that he was going to be evicted, that might explain why he felt compelled to check his mother in law's will to make sure the property was his. The situation seems pretty odd since the Tuses had lived at the farm for over three decades at that point. So who was trying to evictim? Was it the same man who accompanied Harry to the solicitor's office? If not, then who was this guy? I suppose that if someone wanted the twos land and this could have given them a potential motive to commit murder, But since Cheryl wound up inheriting their estate, I'm not sure if anyone else gained anything from this crime. I suppose this alleged eviction could have been some elaborate con job from the killer, But what exactly was their endgame? And if the plummy voice stranger was planning to kill the twos is, why would he allow himself to be seen by solicitor. The fact that this man has never come forward seems to suggest that he was involved in this crime. But I just have this feeling that there's a big piece of the puzzle missing somewhere which might shed some light on what happened. I know police received an anonymous letter about the case sometime in the early two thousands, and while they've never publicly revealed its contents, I wonder if it provides any additional insight on this whole situation.
Speaker 3: So what about this? What if they went to check the mother in law's will because he was trying to prove to someone that it's his land. Like, let's say this person is a quote family member, but someone that isn't really active in their life and says that was my land. I was supposed to inherit that when she passed away, I'm the one who should have gotten that. You show me, you prove to me that it's not mine, And he's like, that's fine. Can I please see my mother in law's will just want to check and see who she left our land to.
Speaker 2: Oh me, okay?
Speaker 3: And could it be just out of anger and resentment that this person's like, you stole what was mine, and I'm going to steal what matters to you, which is your life. I mean, it's possible that someone thought they were entitled to the land. But again again, if some aunt crawt out of the woodwork and started coming after my mom saying, hey, you know, your home is my home. You inherited that from your mom or whatever, but it's mine, I feel like my mom would go, you won't believe the crap that's happening. I gotta go pull up the will, I gotta go see what this is. I just feel like that would have been a such a big deal and such a frustration that it would have been voiced at some point. But it could have been someone who says it's mine and when you don't give it to me, or I'm proven wrong, I'm so angry that I snap.
Speaker 1: People have different relationships with their parents, but we know that Cheryl talks to her parents like every single day, So that would lead me to believe that if something like this was going on, and it was very dramatic and very upsetting. The one of her parents would have told her about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, even like mom going, I mean, just because I know she talks to them every day. So I talk to my parents every day. And trust me, if one parent doesn't tell me, the other one does. And it's always like, don't tell dad, Okay, doesn't want to upset you. But and then Dad has his own things that he's like, don't tell your mom I told you this, because she'll be worried and everything else. But you know, because I do. I call every day and I'm active in their lives even though I don't live close to them. So it's possible. And again, there are some parents who, even though they do talk and love on their babies every day, they spare them from any emotional or financial, you know, struggles. So it's possible that they kept it to themselves. But I just thought, you don't know, you never know. We don't know the right answer here, so it's all possible.
Speaker 1: Now. On Robin's original trail link hold, he discussed the possibility of a convicted serial killer named John Cooper being the real perpetrator. It's obvious that Cooper is not the man who was recently arrested on suspicion of murder, since the person was released on bail and Cooper is currently serving a life sentence in prison. But since Cooper has still not officially been ruled out as a suspect, we can still talk about his background. So in nineteen eighty five, Cooper was working as a farm laborer in the county of Pembrokeshire, and on December twenty second, he decided to break into a mansion located near the village of Schoveston to perform a burglary. The mansion was owned by fifty eight year old Richard Thomas and his fifty four year old sister, Helen Thomas, whom Cooper had previously worked for, and it sounds like he was expecting the residents to be unoccupied. However, Helen happened to be there, and Cooper killed her with a shotgun blast to the face when she recognized his voice. Before Cooper had a chance to leave, Richard returned home and was killed with a shotgun blast to the face as well. Cooper subsequently set fire to the house in an attempt to destroy evidence before fleeing the scene. On June twenty ninth, nineteen eighty nine, Cooper committed another double murder in Pembrokeshire, and this time the two victims were fifty one year old Peter Dixon and his fifty two year old wife, Gwenda Dixon, a couple who'd traveled to the area on a camping trip. The Dixons were taking a walk down Pembrokeshire Coast path when they crossed paths with Cooper, who was carrying a sawd off shotgun, and he proceeded to rob and tie up the couple before sexually assaulting Gwenda. Cooper then forced the Dixons to hand over their bank card and provide their personal identification number before he fatally shot them. In a bizarre turn of events, Cooper had recently been a contestant on the popular British game show Bullseye, and the episode aired only one month before the crime took place. In fact, footage from the show would have actually be used to match Cooper to a composite sketch of the suspect, which have been created from eyewitness descriptions. Two decades later, Cooper was finally linked to both of these double homicides via DNA evidence, and after being convicted in May twenty eleven, he was sentenced to life imprisonment.
Speaker 3: Well, I sure wish that they had done a better investigation originally, because this guy uses a sawed off shotgun. We know that he has targeted couples before, and his DNA clearly is on record to be tested against. But again, because he did not know, he cannot be really explored fully because they didn't do a proper investigation.
Speaker 2: From the gid go attempts happen may to link Cooper to a number of cold cases, including the murders of Harry and Meghan two's. Well, there has never been any real evidence linking him to the twos murders. I can understand why he might seem like a compelling suspect, as double shotgun in the United Kingdom are extremely rare. Like I mentioned earlier, it seemed like whoever killed Harry and Meghan was very skilled at using a shotgun, and we know that Cooper previously murdered at least two couples in that fashion. As you might recall, the barrels of a twelve bore shotgun, two shotgun cartridges, and a holdall bag were discovered in a quarry and a mine shaft located in close proximity to the Toos farm. While it's never been conclusively proven that these items were used in the murders, is worth noting that the shotgun barrels were painted white, which is something that Cooper liked to do with his own shotgun. But while there are some similarities between the Twos murders and Cooper's other crimes, there are also a number of differences. Cooper's victims received a shotgun blasted the face, whereas the Twoses were shot in the back of the head. The Thomases and the Dixons were murdered in Pembrokeshire, which is where Cooper pretty much lived his entire life, but it's around one hundred miles away from Loanhari, and there's nothing to indicate that Cooper had any familiarity with the area at all, other than the fact that he once attended an appointment at a hospital in the nearby town of Bridge and one year before the Twos murders.
Speaker 3: Well, here's the thing I have to ask, if you had a serial killer on your hands, not just someone who commits a murder, but a serial killer who truly has this kind of desire and need to continue to escalate their crimes and to continue to kill, do you think that they would so flippantly discard their weapon, or because they know this is something they enjoy doing or that they have as a routine, do you think that they would just so kilessly discard it. I'm thinking that they would hold on to it because they're going to use it shortly after to kill again.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm thinking as well that I mean, we can't conclusively prove yet if those shotgun barrels were used in the two's murders, but if they were, then I could definitely see a first time killer disposing of them like that because this is the first time they've committed a crime like this and they want to distance themselves from the evidence. And we still don't know, oh, if Cooper killed any additional victims after nineteen ninety three, because like I said, they were still trying to link them to additional cold cases. But if he was someone who liked to kill for the thrill of it, like you said, I could definitely see him wanting to use the same murder weapon each time.
Speaker 1: But even before the recent arrest of this other suspect. The main reason to lean away from Cooper being the perpetrator in this case is motive. Throughout the course of his life, Cooper was known to have committed at least thirty burglaries, but nothing was stolen from the Juess farmhouse, which seems very out of character for him. Remember, the main reason Cooper murdered the Thomases was because he decided to burglarize their mansion and was not expecting them to be there, And it sounds like Cooper picked out the Dixons at random when he came across the couple on the coastal path and decided to rob them. Definitely does not seem like robbery was a primary motive for the Jueses murders, so why would Cooper have targeted them. It just seems like there was something a lot more personal about this crime. Now, Cooper wound up being linked to the Thomas and Dixon murders by DNA testing, but for many years it was unclear if any DNA evidence even existed in this case due to how much the crime scene is contaminated at the twos farmhouse. But of course, since the police announced their intention to perform a new forensic review in twenty twenty three. That implies that they did have some physical evidence to work with, and while they've never officially confirmed this, it's easy to assume that this led them to the eighty six year old man who was recently arrested. Like we just mentioned, this man is obviously not John Cooper, So while Cooper may have seemed like a compelling suspect in the past, it now seems apparent that he probably wasn't the perpetrator.
Speaker 3: Also, remember, he shot people in the face correct, like from the.
Speaker 2: Front, yes, whereas the tuses were shot in the back of the head.
Speaker 3: Which also makes me think, yes, it could be someone who's like a contract killer, right, But it also could have been someone who didn't want to see their face when they fired the shots, someone who wanted to commit the act, but because they did know them, it was something that even subconsciously, if I shoot them from behind, I don't really see the same aftermath as if I were to shoot them from the front.
Speaker 2: So back when I released my original Trail and Cold episode, I was inclined to believe that the killer might have been the unidentified man seen alongside Harry in the solicitor's office, and with the information we have right now, it's still possible that the man in the office and the man who was recently arrested are one and the same. Remember, just because this individual has been arrested on suspicion of murder does not necessarily mean that they will be charged with murder or go on trial. I have no idea what kind of evidence the authorities have on this man, but I'm guessing they hoped that by taking him into custody and bringing his story back into the spotlight again, they might wind up receiving additional evidence or information that strengthens their case against the suspect and makes them comfortable enough to file charges. The fact that he is eighty six years old might mean that investigators are making a last ditch effort to ensure that he faces justice while he is still alive, and if they were willing to release him on bail, that likely means they don't consider him to be a flight risk. Without knowing this person's identity, we can only speculate about what's going on here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I absolutely agree that the fact that this person's eighty six, it would have meant that they were about what fifty six when you had him going to the solicitor's office, or in his fifties, right, which would make sense that he had some kind of relationship with Harry, who was in his sixties, so definitely could have been the same person that was at the solicitor's office. But you also have to think, like you said, this person's eighty six, they're not going to be alive much longer. So by arresting this individual, would it give people in his circle confidence to say, the police have something. If I know anything and I went forward, they would believe me, whereas before maybe I was scared to come forward. So I think this very strategic that they wanted, yes, media attention on the subject, but they wanted people who knew this eighty six year old to say, hey, if you can let us know information, we have our sights on this person, You're not going to be at risk to disclose information that you might have been scared to disclose before, because we would actually act on it. And so I think they also were hoping that someone who had information would feel more confident to come forward and disclose, knowing that this person would likely be sent to prison if more information came out.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm thinking as well. They probably suspect that there are other people out there who knows something, and who knows Maybe these people weren't even aware that this man was still alive, but now they're hearing he's eighty six, We've almost got enough evidence to file charges, and he's out on bail. So if you know something, now's the time to finally share it with law enforcement and he'll finally face justice. So even though the Twoses were always in constant communication with their daughter, I have a feeling that something may have been going on in their lives during this time perce period which they never told Cheryl about. If this individual is currently eighty six years old, then that means that they would have been around fifty four when the crime took place, which is not the age when you'd expect someone to murder an elderly couple as some sort of random thrill kill. The fact that this person was just over a decade younger than the twos is makes me think it was someone who knew them personally. I've always found this whole case to be a major head scratcher, And if this eighty six year old man is eventually charged with the murders and stands trial. Perhaps we will finally learn the full truth about what happened. Unfortunately, this crime pretty much destroyed the lives of Cheryl Twos and Jonathan Jones. So they, Harry and Meghan all deserve justice. So if you happen to have any information about the murders of Harry and Meghan Twos, please contact the appropriate authorities. Jules Ashley, any final thoughts on this case.
Speaker 3: It's one of those. It's urgent, right, this eighty six year old man that was in twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Three, correct, just a few weeks ago, Like they did a new DNA testing in twenty twenty three, but the rest of the man just came a few weeks before we recorded this episode.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, Oh my gosh. Yes, Okay, So people share the information, you know, they're begging people to come forward, and they are eager to say, listen, we don't have much time left. If we are correct, and it is this individual, it's likely they got some new tip, some kind of information, and they just need more to make an official arrest and to actually charge him with a crime. Here, you have to look at the totality of what this did. It stole the lives of Harry and Megan, but it also stole from Cheryl and Jonathan, both physically and emotionally and mentally. But it also stole from their child who never got to meet their grandparents, also didn't ever get to meet the best version of their mom and dad because of the struggles that they were going through due to shame, stigma, judgment from the community, and the loss of their parents. So, for me, it runs so deep. It's a generational effect. It's one of those things that, like we said before, it wasn't Jonathan, and so that means somebody else was allowed to live a life, possibly even hurt other people and get away with it. So the idea that there is still attention on it is so interesting and I don't know if the proper word is exciting, but it is because there's generations of people saying, we still have time, Please show us some semblance of you know, accountability. In this case, You're never going to get justice because Harry and Megan are gone, but please give us somebody to hold accountable so that Jonathan's name is finally relieved to some extent, maybe Cheryl doesn't have to look over her shoulder as often, and maybe this, you know, grandchild of Harry and Megan, can have just another piece of a healing puzzle to say, I didn't even know them, and yet it's rocked my life that they were taken from us. So to me, it's that long term generational effects that you never know, one call, one little piece of evidence that someone doesn't even think it's significant, could change the whole trajectory of these people's future.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my heart really goes out to Cheryl and Jonathan and their child because this is truly one of those cases where you see the ramifications of a miscarriage of justice. Not only did they have to deal with the deaths of Harry and Meghan and the incredible emotional weight and impact that that had, but having to deal with Jonathan being incarcerated, then being let out a year later, and then the social stigma that accompanies that because the fact that this was covered intensely in England as well as it was in Wales is something that I'm sure impacted them because you're getting that side eye from random people or the people you know are whispering about you behind your back and then to be the child growing up, and that is the reality. Like Ashley said, you don't get to meet that version of your parents before all of this happened. There's an innocence that has been stolen, and then almost an innocence of that child that is stolen as well. And I keep going back to that plummy voiced individual that was at the solicitor's office with Harry. I keep thinking that there has to be some connection. There has to be somebody that thought that they would financially benefit from this, or thought that they had some right to the farm. It's so hard for me to grasp that this could just be a potential thrill kill and that somebody just decided to go to this farm and annihilate whomever was there and it happened to be Harry and Meghan, and that they were just so nice to invite some random stranger into their home and offer them tea while they were in the middle of cooking dinner. It feels to me, and I obviously can't know all things are in play until we know who this eighty six year old individual is, if he is indeed responsible, but just feel like it has to be somebody known to the couple.
Speaker 2: Yeah. As you probably know, at the end of every year, I like to release special update episodes of The Trail Went Cold in which I chronicle a lot of the cases that I've covered on the podcast which have either been solved or had major developments over the past year. And of course, at the end of twenty twenty five, I released Update episode number seven for the podcast. But right before it was about to drop, I suddenly heard this news about an arrest in the twos murder's case, and it was like, Wow, wasn't expecting this to close off the year. So I instantly thought, we have to talk about this one on the path went Chili and revisit it now that we have this news, because I hadn't listened to my original episode in a while, and I was like looking through my old script and looking for clues about this eighty six year old man, and I'm thinking to myself, Oh, yeah, I'd forgot about this plumby voice stranger who visited this solicitor's office with Harry. I wonder if this is the man they're referring to. And also that mysterious man in the trench code who was seen walking down the road about a week before the murder. So the pieces of the puzzle are starting to come together here, but we just still don't know the full truth. And of course, when I first learned about this case, I never believed that Jonathan Jones was guilty. I just thought the original police investigation was a travesty where they compromised potential evidence by not securing the crime scene. It appeared they had a major case of chunnel vision against Jonathan and they took him to trial with extremely weak evidence, and thankfully the higher courts the thought that the conviction was a miscarriage of justice and the immediately released Jonathan from prison after only one year. But it still caused a lot of trouble for him and Cheryl because he was still recognized as a convicted murderer in the eyes of the law, and Cheryl also lost both of her parents and a lot of people thought that she was remaining in a relationship with their killer. But regardless of whether this eighty six year old man is ever charged and ever spends any time in prison, I think this news does show that Jonathan is finally going to receive full vindication. So hopefully the authorities at some point announced that he's factually innocent and say that he's officially been exonerated, even give him some compensation for the year that he had to spend in prison for a crime he did not commit. So yeah, hopefully we learn the full truth about what happened and that this eighty six year old man faces justice if he is in fact guilty, because for many years this has been a major head scratcher to me and I would love to learn the full truth about what actually happened.
Speaker 4: Robin, do you want to tell us a little bit about the Trail Went Cold Patreon?
Speaker 2: Yes, The Trail Cold Patreon has been around for three years now, and we offer these standard bonus features like early ad free episodes, and I also send out stickers and sign thank you cards to anyone who signs up with us on Patreon if you join our five dollars tier Tier two. We also offer monthly bonus episodes in which I talk about cases which are not featured on the Trail Went Cold's original feed, so they're exclusive to Patreon, and if you join our highest tier tier free, the ten dollars tier. One of the features we offer is a audio commentary track over classic episodes of Unsaved Mysteries, where you can download an audio file and then boot up the original Unsolved Mysteries episode on Amazon Prime or YouTube and play it with my audio commentary playing in the background, where I just provide trivia and factoids about the cases featured in this episode. And incidentally, the very first episode that I did a commentary track over was the episode featuring this case. So if you want to download a commentary track in which I make more smart ass remarks about Jewel Kaylor, then be sure to join Tier three.
Speaker 4: So I want to let you know a little bit about the Jeueles and Nashty patreons. So there's early ad free episodes of The Path Went Chili. We've got our Path Went Chili mini's, which are always over an hour, so they're not very many, but they're just too short to turn into a series, and we're really enjoying doing those. So we hope you'll check out those patreons.
Speaker 1: We'll link them in the show notes.
Speaker 2: So I want to thank you all for listening, and any chance you have to share us on social media with a friend or to rate and review is greatly appreciated. You can email us at the Pathwentchili at gmail dot com. You can reach us on Twitter at the Pathwin. So until next time, be sure to bundle up because cold trails and chili pass call for warm clothing.
Speaker 1: Music by Paul Rich from the podcast Cold Callers Comedy