Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Path Went Chile for part two of our series about the murders of Burned Gerica and Andrea Shirt. Robin, do you want to catch everyone up on what we talked about in our previous episode?
Speaker 2: Well, this crime took place in British Columbia, Canada in nineteen eighty three. Burnt Gerica and Andrea Shirt were a couple from West Germany who were doing a hitchhiking and backpacking trip through Canada, but they missed the return flight home and they would be discovered murdered in a remote section of British Columbia. They've both been shot to death and most of their personal items have been stolen, and it would later turn out that Andrea's travelers checks had been used at various gas stations located hundreds of kilometers south from where the crime took place, so it seemed obvious that their killer was responsible and using her travelers checks. The case remained unsolved for over five years, but then they looked at a suspect named Andy Rose, who had been living in that region of British Columbia in nineteen eighty three. Pretty much the only evidence against him was the testimony of a woman named Madonna Kelly, who had been friends with Andy and BC back then, and claimed that he had shown up at her trailer one night, howling at the moon, covered in blood, claiming that he had killed a couple. But of course, there was no other corroborating evidence to support her story, and even though the cops recorded a phone call between Madonna and Andy, he never revealed anything incriminating or confessed to the crime. But in spite of this, he still got arrested, even though he insisted that back then he was so poverty stricken that he didn't even own a car, so how can he have driven one hundred kilometers south in order to be able to use those travelers checks? But in spite of this, he was found guilty at trial, he got his conviction overturned because the judge had given improper instructions to the jury, but he was found guilty a second time in nineteen ninety five. By this point, they finally started doing forensic testing. They had found a pair of bloody genes near the murder scene inside a waste basket and tested the blood, and even though it matched the two victims, none of the blood or the physical evidence on the genes belonged to Andy. They're planning to take on a trial again, but of course this was a big setback for the authorities, so they tried to entrap Andy and is what is known in Canada as the Mister Big sting operation, which is actually illegal in the United States because it is technically entrapment where a bunch of undercover cops will pose as criminals and offer things to their suspect in hopes of recording them making a full confession of the crime. And that's exactly what they did with Andy. They were saying, saying that we will make your problem go away. We will get rid of the evidence to ensure you don't have to go on trial a third time, just as long as you tell us everything about yourself and confess to the murder. And Andy pretty much just gave our sarcastic yeah, sure I did it, but then later recanted it and said that I was only telling them what they wanted to hear. And at the time we left off, Andy third trow was about to begin and even though his defense he wanted to get the Mister Big confession suppressed as evidence, the judge denied it, so as we're going to start off here. He's about to go on trial with the third time and his future is still uncertain.
Speaker 1: So Andy's defense team filed emotion to have his Mister Big confession suppressed. His evidence at his third trial were unsuccessful. As a result, their plan was to bring in a forensic psychologist with expertise in the subjects of police interrogations and false confessions, who would testify that Andy had been manipulated and coerced. They also planned to bring in Willedine Hill and her daughter to testify about vance Hill's alleged confession to the murders. The trial finally began in January of two thousand and one, but by this point even more evidence had emerged to support Andy's innocence. Advance forensic testing on the blood stained genes revealed traces of DNA belonging to three people. Of course, two of these people were burned in Andrea, as the blood spatter wound up matching them, but traces of genetic material, including a scalp hair, were found in the pants cuff. The DNA on the material belonged to a male, but Andy was excluded as being the source. Before the trial could be completed, Crown Prosecutor Gil McKinnon decided to consult with the British Columbia Attorney General, and on January twenty third, he announced that the murder charges against Andy were being stayed. McKinnon stated that given the amount of evidence which seemed to point away from Andy, he would have felt uncomfortable if the jury reached another guilty verdict. The Crown had a year's reactivate the murder charges against Andy, but they chose not to, meaning that he was finally exonerated. In two thousand and nine. The story would be featured on an episode of the Canadian investigative journalism program The Fifth Estate. By that point, Andy was working in a warehouse in Edmonton and had managed to start a new relationship with his son, who was less than two weeks old when Andy was arrested for the murders. Andy said that he now spent most of his time alone and as far as I can tell, he's never received any compensation for his wrongful incarceration. Unfortunately, the investigation has not had much luck identifying the real perpetrator. As it turned out the DNA evidence on the blood stained jeans did not match vance Hill either. In addition, even though these genes were assized thirty four, Hill was known for wearing pants that were as size forty or forty two. Since none of the missing identification or property that belonged to the two victims has ever been recovered, the RCMP has urged anyone who might have found them or has information to come forward. But after four decades, the murders of Burned Gerica and Andreas Sharp continued to remain unsolved.
Speaker 2: So I guess you could say the path went chili.
Speaker 3: Okay, So to back up and look at why Andy was actually accused in the first place, It's because this woman says that at some point he showed up bloody at her house and said he had killed the two of them.
Speaker 2: Correct, Yes, that's pretty much it. That is the only evidence against him, and they never found anything to corroborate this story, and Andy always denied it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really interesting because they convicted him on that, right. This is how they got him in prison in the first place. And so when you're looking here, Andy, there's no evidence pointing to him. But then you start to have evidence like you just described where it points away from him, And I feel so much empathy and sadness for Andy because he said, you know, now I spend all this time alone, I missed out on time with my family, and there's likely no compensation here. A wrongful you know, a false confession is something that it's very difficult to understand. If you didn't do something, why would you say you did. Let's say Andy showed up intoxicated at this lady's house and said that he had gotten into a fuss with somebody and had killed someone. I don't even know at that point if I'd believe that confession, but we don't know that that even happened. There was no way of them validating what this woman had said or what her motivation could have been for coming forward. So I feel really just upset. You guys know how I am about wrongful convictions, that that's the only piece of evidence they had in the first place. It's incredible that you start to see these forensic facts come out, because so many people don't have that luxury when they're in prison for something they didn't do, but Andy did. Andy had things that started to come out. The DNA didn't match that, there were things that pointed away from him. He had people that were able to testify and put him somewhere else, and so Andy actually ended up being quite blessed in some ways, but he still has to deal with the fact that part of his life, part of his character, was killed. It was taken away from him, and so how do we go back and ever make that right, even when there is financial compensation, But for Andy, he didn't even get that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this is not the only wrongful conviction case we've done where a wrongfully convicted person has been separated from their child and has tried to reunite with them once they're finally released. And we talked on our last episode that back in the early eighties, Andy was kind of a drifter. He drank too much, he was always getting into fights in trouble. But by nineteen eighty nine, he had turned his life around. He had a good job, he had good relationship, and he had a two week old son, so he was ready to start over and live a good life. And then he just suddenly gets arrested for this murder that took place six years ago that he had nothing to do with it. And this boy who was only two weeks old when he was arrested, is now like ten eleven years old when he finally gets out of prison, and now he has to rekindle a new relationship with them. So that's got to be extra difficult when you know that you missed so much time with your child because of this. So we've covered a number of wrongful conviction cases on the Path Went Chile, and this is our first Canadian one. And while wrongful convictions are nowhere nearest prominent in Canada as they are in the United States, the country still has serious issues with them, and this story is definitely an example of the Canadian justice system going horribly wrong. Quite frankly, the Crown's case against Andy Rose for the murders of Burnt Gerica and Andreas Shirp might be one of the weakest cases I've ever seen which resulted in a guilty verdict. And the fact that two separate juries at two separate trials felt that the evidence against Andy was strong enough to convict him beyond reasonable doubt he is pretty terrifying. On both occasions. All the prosecution really had was Madonna Kelly's testimony that Andy shsh She showed up at her door one night covered in blood and confessed to the murders, and that's literally it. There was no real evidence to corroborate Madonna's story, but there were a number of holes in it, as well as several logistical issues which made it seem impossible that Andy could have committed this crime. There's also the fact that Madonna never came forward and told the police about this so called murder confession, as they did not hear about it until nearly six years after the fact. You might be wondering how two juries were able to overlook the considerable logistical holes of Madonna's account, but she was apparently a very convincing witness who had a history of making false stories sound believable. While describing Madonna's testimony on the aforementioned Fifth Estate episode, Andy's sister and Collette stated, quote, she looked like the virgin Mary on the stand, but she's no Virgin Mary. End quote. The Fifth Estate was hoping to have Madonna pear on their episode, but she refused to do an interview unless they paid her thirty thousand dollars to say The show declined her offers, So we may never know her reasoning for doing what she did, but personally, I have to wonder if the whole thing may have been a lie which wound up escalating out of control. Remember, Madonna did not voluntarily come forward and shared this story with the police on her own accord. The only reason to even found out about it was because she happened to share the story with Tom Martin, a drug informant, who decided to pass it along to the authorities. Andy has acknowledged that there could have been one incident where he showed up to Madonna's trailer in the middle of the night while he was drunk and had blood on his clothes because he got into a bar fight. For reasons unknown, Madonna may have chosen to exaggerate this story and told Martin that Andy showed up in this condition and confessed about a double murder. However, when Martin took this information to the RCNP and they started questioning Madonna and pressuring her into testifying against Andy, she may have felt there was no turning back, so she had no choice but to stick to her original story. Hell, maybe she legitimate believe that Andy committed these murders and convinced herself that she was only lying to help put a guilty man in prison. I'm sure madonn and Ever envisioned that the whole ordeal would drag on for over a decade and she would be forced to testify at multiple trials.
Speaker 3: And the credibility of everyone involved in this is questionable. You had Tom Martin, who's a drug informant, and when we look at people who are paid informants, who are informants who are getting something in return from law enforcement, when we look at jail house snitches, when you have all of these these informants who are placed in positions to benefit and lessen the consequences of their actions, there's it's a massive contributor to wrongful convictions. They're being incentivized to get information which may or may not be there, and they often will make up information even if it's not part of the case they're assigned to, to bring back to police to gain favor. And so when you have someone like Tom Martin and then you have Madonna who's paired with him, I guarantee you whatever stories started, it's like a story of telephone in the first place, because Andy told Madonna. Supposedly Madonna then told Tom. Tom then told the people he worked for. Those people then told the prosecutors so it's this whole little trail of information from unreliable sources who are also potentially benefiting themselves by sharing it. I think it could be completely made up. I think there's potential Madonna could have had an issue with Andy and said something, maybe in jest, and then it got blown out of proportion, and then, like you said, who knows, maybe Madonna actually created this story in her head, or at some point the story became very real to her because she had told it so many times. But there's also a potential that by the time it gets to police and prosecutors that there's some misconduct going on as well, where they're basically told what that's story will now be, and that's created to be their truth from a third party telling them what they're truth is going to be.
Speaker 1: I'm really curious what you both make of the whole Fifth Estate thing, because this is Canada and our programs aren't going to pay anyone thirty thousand dollars to appear, especially if you're the witness for the prosecution in this trial. It just it doesn't seem it's not like this is somebody who is as high profile as like a Karla Hamoka or something like that where I don't know if programs would even pay her. It just doesn't seem like a very Canadian thing to do. So was her objective when she set this thirty thousand dollars minimum because she just knew that they wouldn't pay, and she was like, I don't want to have to go up against these investigative journalists because whenever she's in court, she's being coached by the prosecution and she's getting everything in line because they're helping her to do so, and they're helping her to remember what she said previously. But she wouldn't have that an intro.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've wondered about that because I can believe that she never intended to have Andy send to prison, that it was just kind of her lying to a friend of hers and it spiled out of control because she never expected Tom Martin to go to the police. But then you hear about like ten years after the fact, that she's trying to profit from it. It almost sounds like by demanding money that I'm pretty sure the Fifth of State is never going to pay because this case is not high profile enough that they're going to pay off a prosecution witness. So I do wonder did she legitimately think she was going to become wealthy over this case or was she just using as an excuse to avoid saying no to the interview because she was probably going to be uncomfortable and thought, well, if I demand to make the money and they say no, then what are you going to do? They can't say that I was the one who rejected the interview.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely, And I think here when when you look at her and you see where this started from, I'm with you, Jules. I think it started as something not a grand idea and Rob and like you said, I don't know that she really intended for Andy to go to prison or even truly believe this story to start, but it gets ballooned out, it gets magnified, and it becomes these sole piece of evidence in this court story. And so when you hear this fact over and over again, and you're Madonna and you're Tom and you literally are the crux of this case, there's so much pressure, there's so much validation put on you, and you're almost encouraged and amped up that you're this hero that you've provided this information they needed. These are two people who are going to get justice because of your bravery and your story, and let's make sure your story is right again. And like I said, it's like a fictional retelling. I'm just gonna tell you what I need you to say on the stand. I'm going to tell you what I need you to repeat while we're doing this interview. I'm going to tell you what I need you to hit on.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: It's like someone coaching you in a script. But this is someone's life on the other end of it. This is someone Andy's sitting on the other side going what are they talking about? This isn't true. But again, it's confirmed so many times throughout this lineup of people that at the end of the day, Madonna's sitting there going, Okay, I'm just going to tell this story. But she's just as selfish as anybody else. She says, Hey, I can actually capitalize on this. I could maybe make some money on this. And like you said, this is going to be a very vulnerable spot. Had they said yes to her thirty thousand dollars offer, which is crazy, had they said yes, would she have done well? Would she have told the same story? Possibly yes, because it had been told to her so many times, and she had recanted it so many times. But like you said, if she didn't bring her attorney with her, if she didn't bring a representative with her who's coaching and helping her, would you start to see holes in that story. It would have been fascinating to hear her version on some public television show and see if it actually lined up the same way it did in court.
Speaker 1: It's it's very unfortunate for Andy the DNA profiling was still in its infancy back in nineteen eighty nine, because if they had been able to perform testing on the bloody jeans right at the outset, he may never have been taken to trial in the first place. Even if you disregard that Madonna's story contained so many holes that there's just no way both juries should have convicted Andy. The most obvious issue is that Burned and Andrea were likely murdered while being picked up hitchhiking, and their bodies were found over thirty kilometers outside of chetwind But even though Andy was residing in Chetwynd back in nineteen eighty three, he didn't own a vehicle at the time, and it sounds like he was living a pretty nomadic lifestyle just bouncing around from place to place and taking whatever work he could find, but any money he earned would go right back towards his drinking. Even if Andy managed to borrow someone else's vehicle, There's still a major discrepancy with the fact that Madonna described him as wearing bloodstained jeans when he showed up outside her trailer, Yet bloody jeenes were found in a trash bin over thirty kilometers away. It makes zero sense for a guy who committed a double murder to wear the incriminating evidence around in public and then decide to travel all the way back to the murder scene to get rid of it, especially if they don't even own a vehicle. And while we're on the subject of Andy driving great distances, I really don't see how anyone could have legitimately believed that he committed this crime, as Andrea's travelers checks were used at numerous gas station locations hundreds of kilometers away in the days following the murder. Putting aside Andy having no mode of transportation, employment records showed that he was working in Chetwyn on the days those travelers checks were used, So how could investigators possibly explain that away? It sounds like the Crown tried to account for this at Andy's trials by acknowledging that someone else did use those checks, though I'm not entirely sure what their rationale was. Were we supposed to believe that Andy committed the murders and then inexplicably gave the Travelers checks to someone else, or by pure coincidence did another individual just happen to stumble upon Andrea's body and steal the checks from her. There's also the fact that both Burned and Andrea had a number of possessions on them which were never recovered, such as camping equipment and a guitar for someone who was perpetually broke. It's surprising that Andy didn't steal these items, and there's no record of him ever having attempted to sell them.
Speaker 3: Right, all the things that Andrea and Burned needed they didn't have on them anymore when their bodies were discovered. Someone took their things. In fact, I think what happened is they were hitchhiking, They get into the car with someone who's very used to trying to manipulate and lure somebody in. They're charming there, I would say, clean cut well put together, and they easily convinced these two young people to jump in the car with them. And when they start fussing right in the truck, because there's a truck scene with them with the checks. When they start fussing with him, or maybe he makes a move on Andrea, all of a sudden there's a confrontation, and I believe it led to their murder. And those checks I believe were taken by the killer and then attempted to be used elsewhere. Remember, the person using the checks can calmly explain away, Oh you know, I'm getting this for a friend. This is why the name on there is Andrea. If there's no anxiety, there's no worry. That is not Andy. Andy's not the person being described there. This is not Andy in the truck. And he doesn't have transportation. Like you said, he would have killed these people, gotten in a car that he had to borrow from someone without getting blood all over it. Get to Madonna, tell her this crazy story. Then get back in that borrowed car, drive all the way back and discard of those genes. Ride back with no pants on. Use these checks in this truck right. All the things that just don't make any sense. It's impossible in my head to figure out where and how The crown says, oh, yeah, let's move forward, let's prosecute this man. You have Madonna who doesn't have all of her stability to her. You have an informant Tom, and that is it. Everything else tells you you need to look somewhere else. This doesn't make sense. Step back and look at the bigger picture. This is not fitting. And instead it's like every other wrongful conviction where they say, guess what, we made our decision. It's Andy, and now we're just going to ride that wave and finish it without paying attention to all the facts that do not fit that narrative.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we see that as a recurring pattern in wrongful conviction cases, where they'll charge a suspect but not do any research beforehand. And of course this is one where you should have checked Andy's whereabouts, like you should have checked his time sheets to make sure he was not working on those particular days that the travelers checks were used. But I'm guessing they didn't do that until after they read to them and then had the mentality, well, we can't admit we were wrong. There's no turning back here, so they still decided to move forward at trial even though the whole case had fallen apart. So before we start talking about alternate suspects, I suppose we should address the notorious mister bing Sting operation, which could have conceivably led to Andy being convicted for the third time. I've already mentioned that the Mister Big technique is one of the most controversial elements of the Canadian justice system, so much so that its use is actually prohibited in criminal investigations in a number of other countries, including the United States and Great Britain. The whole thing was originally developed by the RCMP and has been used by them in hundreds of cases, and I will acknowledge that it has led to the successful conviction of a number of guilty suspects. But since the Mister Big technique is often considered to be a last resort which is only used to close unsolved cases where the evidence isn't particularly strong, even the most successful examples may wind up being surrounded by contra For instance, if you've seen the Netflix true crime series The Confession Tapes, you're probably familiar with the convictions of Sebastian Burns and a Tiefrafe, two young men who received life sentences for the murders of Rafe's parents and sister in Belle w Washington in nineteen ninety four. Even though Burns and Refee were Canadian citizens who lived in Vancouver, they wound up being charged with the murders after the RCMP launched a Mister Big sting operation in which undercover officers secretly recorded both suspects confessing the involvement in the crime. Of course, they've always maintained that their so called confessions were false, and even though the Netflix series tried to present a case for Burns and Refee being wrongly convicted, I personally believe they are guilty of this crime. But even so I can understand why there has always been debate about the legalities of their convictions, because the crime technically took place on American soil, and the arrests were made possible by a Canadian sting operation which was based around a technique that a mayor or law enforcement are forbidden to use. One case which was a major turning point in this whole controversy was the murder conviction of Nelson Hart, a Newfoundland resident who was charged with drowning his twin three year old daughters, Karen and Christa. In two thousand and two, once again, Heart's arrest was made possible following a videotape confession he made to an undercover RCMP officer during a Mister bing sting operation. When Heart's attorneys appealed his conviction and argued that his confession should not have been admissible, the Newfoundland and Labrador Supreme Court of Appeal agreed and ruled that Heart was entitled to a new trial. The case wound up making it all the way to the Supreme Court of Canada, and in July twenty fourteen, they released a ruling in which they expressed air concern that all confessions obtained through the Mister Big technique were quote unquote, presumptively inadmissible. The ruling stated, quote the Crown must establish, on a balance of probabilities that the probate of value outweighs its prejudicial effect. The rebatea value does not outweigh its prejudicial effect, then the statement will be excluded. End quote. As a result, the murder charges against Nelson Hart were withdrawn and he was released from prison.
Speaker 3: Okay, but let's back up and look at Andy specifically, and this mister big sting operation. Andy had struggled with alcoholism, and they used alcohol correct when they were talking to him.
Speaker 2: Yes, like they invited him to like a hotel and then invite him down into the bar to have some beers. So he was getting intoxicated before they were trying to make him confess.
Speaker 3: Right, So okay to me that right there is problematic when you take somebody's medical, mental health kind of issues and you say, hey, let's exploit that, let's lower his inhibitions. How many of us have heard someone or even maybe personally have said something incredibly ignorant or offensive or wrong or lied while we were under the influence of something. I think you have. There's a reason why, right, It's an impairment when you are intoxicated. And so to say, hey, you.
Speaker 2: Know what we're going to do.
Speaker 3: We're going to just loosen his inhibitions. It doesn't just do that. It plays on other mental health issues and other concerns and other psychological effects when someone is intoxicated. And so to say, then we're going to get the truth, and we're going to just get him to say what he actually did. I think is ignorant in many ways, and it's very immoral. Let's say it's legal, who cares. I think it's it's immoral when you think about doing that, like, hey, let's take someone who struggles with their sobriety and let's feed him some alcohol and see what he says. Also, like we've talked about before, the setup, in and of itself, it's like dudes sitting around bragging and teasing and bantering and trying to one up one another. And everyone's witnessed conversations like that where you are pretty sure everything out of everyone's mouth is a lie. But it's like, I'm just gonna one up you. I'm gonna kind of measure myself against you by being better than you, bigger than you, badder than you. So I could easily see people saying, oh yeah, I killed a guy, Oh yeah, I killed these two people when you're feeding them and trying to prompt them that their value worth need to you would be how big of a man they can be, how bad of a man they can be. And so it's the whole concept in and of itself is wrong. But with Andy specifically, once they turn to that alcohol use and they say, hey, we're going to add that layer to me, that's not someone in their right mind talking to you.
Speaker 1: It makes it so complex when you take somebody with it's what it sounds like in alcohol use disorder, and then you put them in this situation where, like you said, all of these people are saying basically, we want to know this, and people in like you said, ash when they're inebriated, will often tell tall tales. And if you feel like these people who are in power and there is a power imbalance, if they want you to say a certain type of a thing, and you very much are going to get that feeling. And I don't know if either of you, Robin, you likely have seen the Sebastian burns and a t for fe mister big video.
Speaker 2: I have.
Speaker 1: Yes, Yeah, it's pretty intense. I mean, there's no argument for me that those two did it. But the type of pressure and the type of scenario in situation where you're going to be sharing this information, they very much tell you what they need to hear, not in the details, but in that we need to hear that you committed this crime or committed a crime, and we need details of it in order for you to enter this organization, So it's very much set up to confess whether you did it or not. And like Ashley paralleled it to the read technique in part one, and I think that is a really valid comparison.
Speaker 2: And even with Andy's they were trying to get him to reveal details which they he felt might incriminate him, like how did you get a hold of the gun that she used to kill burn and Andrea? And he never was able to do that. He just said, oh, yeah, I had a gun. I had a gun, But he was not able to offer any specific details that were not public knowledge which showed that he committed the crimes. So it really just showed that they were reaching and they wanted him to confess, but they didn't want to. They were not able to make his confession convincing and get him to reveal anything that would approve and he was the killer.
Speaker 1: Now we can spend several podcast episodes debating the ethics of the Mister Big technique and the guilt or innocence of the suspects who'd been convicted by it. However, I think it's safe to say that Andy Rose was one of the most clear cut examples of an innocent person being railroaded by the process, and what separates his story from other Mister Big cases is that he had already been tried and convicted of his crime on two separate occasions. Since Andy's defense team were in the midst of performing DNA testing and there was an eyewitness claiming that another suspect confessed to the murders, it seemed clear the RCMP was worried that Andy might not get convicted this time around, so the whole thing was a very desperate, last ditch attempt to fabricate evidence against him. During the fifth Estate episode, one of Andy's defense attorneys was interviewed and said that she was livid when she first learned that Andy had admitted to the murders on tape, but once she watched the recording, she had a better understanding of how Andy could have been coerced to do this, even if he was completely innocent. If you watch footage of any of these Mister Big sting operations, one recurring pattern you might find amusing is it undercover cops loved to insert F bombs into pretty much every sentence during their conversations. It often comes across as if they're trying way too hard to portray themselves as tough criminals, but they're also establishing a constant pattern of abrasive, abusive, and intimidating language in order to exert pressure on the set expect and compel them to confess. But what's particularly troubling about andy sting operation As the undercover officers were feeding him blatantly false information about his upcoming trial, such as the fact that will Adine Hill was possibly going to recounter story about her former husband confessing to the murders. They made Andy believe there was a genuine chance that he would get convicted again, when in actuality, investigators feared that Andy might not get convicted unless they coerced a confession out of him.
Speaker 3: I think I've told you guys before that when I first started dating Rebel, he'said no one would ever falsely confess, you know, And now I've taught him well, But he teases and he says, oh my god, please don't ever die. Because if I'm getting interrogated and they use some of these techniques we've seen, I can understand how people will get confused and overwhelmed and feel like they need to try to get themselves out of this or even start to believe that something could have happen and that they don't remember, because, like you just said, well, they'll give blatantly false information. Here in the US, they're trained to use that as a mechanism. So they could say, hey, you know, rebel, Reagan is in the other room and she said that she heard you get up in the middle of the night. She heard her mother scream rebels stop right, rebel no, and then we found your wife, right, And so they can sit there and say people who love and care about you are using and telling information that incriminates you. That people who you trust and people who would validate what you know is true are in the room next door saying that that's not true, right, that you are the killer and that you had done something. And so it's insane. That's what mister Big is doing. They're sitting there feeding information, they're making up lies. You know. They could say, hey, Rebel, we actually have your DNA, we have your fingerprint and blood around her neck, you know, whatever it is, And then he's going, how did that happen? And Reagan's saying, I did it, Oh my gosh, Okay. So in some ways I think just the same way, these mister big sting operations could almost inflate someone's imagination to a point where they might even believe that they have something to tell that is not real. But more so, I think they create this hyper masculine or kind of importance or grandiose nature of the person that's being framed here basically and allows them to feel like there's somebody to people they want to impress, and that's it. I don't always think that these kinds of operations are resulting in someone being confused or even telling the truth. I think it's more to show off and to show out in Andy's case specifically, and in many other people's And then could you get troops out often?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, But does it set you up to also create false narratives and false stories? Yes, And if that's the case, it's not a good technique. It's not something that should be used because if there's one guilt he or one innocent person is going to prison on this, and ten are getting convicted using this fairly, that one person, right, that's a problem. And here Andy just happened to be that one person who's being manipulated and tells a story that ends up getting him in big trouble.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you just mentioned, that's what a lot of people who have falsely confessed have said that if the police lie to them and tell them stuff like oh, we have a witness who saw you do this, or we have your DNA on there, that even if it's a blatant live they start questioning themselves. And they've even said that they reached the point where're like, well, maybe I did do it, but I blocked it out of my memory and I just can't recall it, so maybe I did it, And that's why they decide to confess. So yeah, that's why people doing it, even if they originally go in there being one hundred percent sure that no, I did not do this. That if you've got a skilled interrogator, they can start questioning themselves and maybe think, well maybe I did this after all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's either that or they have this. It's either that or they have this idea that I will tell them whatever they want to hear. Right now, I am exhausted, I'm scared, I'm tired, i'm grieving, I'm hurting. I need to get out of here. So I'm going to tell them whatever they want to hear. Because clearly it's a lie. Everyone will know it's a lie, and I'll get a good attorney who can prove it's a lie. That's not how our justice system works. So either they convince them that they actually might just not remember right, and they start to actually orchestrate in their head a reality where maybe they could have done it because they trust the police and they trust that what they're telling them is true, or they get to a point where they say, screw it, I'll tell you whatever you want to hear, and then I got to get out of here.
Speaker 2: Let's also not forget that when Andy was first charged with the murders in nineteen eighty nine, the RC and P had secretly recorded a phone conversation between Andy and and Donna Kelly. Even though Andy did not have any idea that he was being investigated as a suspect at that point, he still did not confess or reveal anything incriminating this conversation, which I think is further evidence that as mister Big confession was bogus. I know that Andy's third trial was halted before it reached the jury, but even though the case against him was fraught with problems and the defense tried to discredit his confession, there was always a risk that the jury still could have found him guilty. Back in two thousand and one, the general public was not as well versed on the subject of false confessions, so they still might have put a lot of credence into the fact that Andy admitted to the murders on tape. However, I do have to credit Crown Prosecutor Gil McKinnon for not letting things get to that point and staying the murder charges against Andy after he learned that all the DNA evidence excluded him. McKinnon was not the prosecutor at Andy's first two trials and stated that he just had this uncomfortable feeling that he might be putting the wrong man away, which is why he didn't want to put the case into the hands of the jury. Believe me, I've seen enough wrongful conviction cases to note that it can usually be difficult, if not outright impossible, to get a prosecuting attorney to admit to a mistake and drop the charges against a defendant, even if the evidence overwhelmingly points towards them being innocent.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely, when you look at the idea that someone has been convicted, that means multiple players in our justice system have done an entire case, an entire trial, and convicted an individual, thinking and believing that they have done their best, brightest professional work to date right. No one wants to step back and say, did we make a mistake. The mentality is we do our job, we get it right. We're convicting that person, we provided justice. We're done. And to then ask them to question it. They struggle to question it throughout the process. To start with right, they lock in on somebody and they just double down to prove it. But once they've been convicted, it's like this official check market says, we got it right. Look the jury thought we got it right. We know we're correct in our assessment. So then to ask everyone in that process to step back and look at could they have gotten it wrong? It's nearly impossible. Judges don't want to take on cases where another judge has signed off. Prosecutors get really you know, overwhelmed, and they think, wait, they're going to show that I falsely imprisoned somebody. Heck, no, I would have never taken the case if I didn't believe that person did it, So no way is it that I'm wrong you know, the only people that are often advocating for someone's innocence is the person themselves and a defense attorney. And clearly you say, well, everyone in prison is innocent, right, every defense attorney wants the money to defend somebody and say that they're wrongfully convicted. But that's not the truth. We know that so many people because if eyewitness identification, false confessions, informants, all of this, you know, prosecutorial and police misconduct, faulty forensic science, all of that puts people well wigh when they didn't do the crime they're being held accountable for. And so we have to be in a position where we're willing to say we can get it wrong, and I'm willing to look at it again. And you do see integrity units popping up, especially in the United States, where integrity units are being hired by prosecutors' offices saying review some of these cases where they're claiming these are wrongful convictions. Could we have messed up? And when you have someone who has a high moral and ethical bar who's willing to say, I don't always get it right. I'm human, I make mistakes, and I'm not the only player in this game. Police give me information, you know, the witnesses give me information, and I trust it at the time. But if you can prove to me that this is incorrect information or prove that this person couldn't have done it, I'm human and I'm willing to tell you I messed up. That's huge. There are people, there are units out there that'll do it, but very rarely do you see teams that are willing to say, let's look at this again.
Speaker 1: They seem to go from the perspective of like the sunken cost fallacy, where we have invested so much time and energy and a lot of our reputations into these cases, and I think the fear of what lies beyond when they actually examine the cases, when you see prosecutors retry and retry and retry, and it's like, why don't you look into this case a little bit deeper? But it becomes more about that time invested, reputation invested, and how it will appear if they lose, because it all does come down to the numbers, especially with prosecutors, and there should be other motivations that underscore why people are doing what they're doing, and like what actually just brought up it's great when they have these integrity units which are going to provide some checks and balances with regards to these situations. And we do see the odd case where you see a prosecutor go, WHOA, I think I got that wrong. What was the conic, Junior.
Speaker 2: Yes, that was the murder of Crystal Champagne by a wrongfully convicted man named Damon Thibodeau. And that was one where the prosecutor, Paula Konic Junior, actually helped out the defense when they reinvestigated the case and came to the conclusion, Yep, this is an innocent man. We should release him. And he was willing to admit he made a mistake and it didn't ruin his career because he has been re elected I think seven or eight times over the past three decades, so making this mistake has not caused the voters to turn on him and decide that he should be run out of office.
Speaker 1: Sadly, so much focus was put on the wrongful conviction of Andy Rose that the two victims burned in Andrea almost seemed to be an afterthought in this story. However, their missing personal possessions makes me believe that robbery may have been the primary motive for the crime, particularly since there's no indication that Andrea was sexually assaulted. Usage of the travelers checks gives off the impression that the killer may not have been from the area where the murders took place and was just passing through, so Burned and Andrea were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. We do know that the perpetrator was traveling south through British Columbia when they used the travelers checks, so for all we know, they could have been heading towards the US border and eventually drove into Washington State. After all, the RCMP performed a check on all pickup trucks in British Columbia which matched the description of the truck that the killer drove, but they came up empty. And since the witnesses who interacted with this man described him as having a slight American accent, perhaps he was not even Canadian. It sounds like the last reported sighting it Burned in Andrea took place in Dawson Creek, which is about one hundred and thirty kilometers from where their bodies were found, so we have no idea if they first crossed paths with their killer there or at another location.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. We're not sure that that's even where they were killed, right or where they were first finding this individual in the first place. So we don't know a lot, but we do know about those travelers checks and that truck. And so when you look at the fact that we can't identify who that was, to me, that is the person that you have to find. Andy didn't have transportation. No one came forward to say Andy burrowed any kind of vehicles from them. Madonna and Tom couldn't describe how he got a vehicle like that. And so when we look and especially at the behavior of the individual who's using the Travelers checks, we have a personality, We have almost this picture of who this person would be, and after all this work, they simply cannot locate the individual.
Speaker 2: We've covered so many cases from several decades ago in which victims went missing or murder, will hitchhiking, and I'll once again reiterate that it was just a much different time. It's pretty remarkable to look at the timeline of Burned and Andrey as nearly two month treks through Canada, as they literally traveled thousands of kilometers through multiple provinces and at least one American state, and their primary mode of transportation was hitchhiking. This story is a bit reminiscent of another case I covered on episode number two twelve of The Trail Went Cold about the murders of Marie Lillienburg and Maria Viln, two Swedish nationals who were murderable hitchhiking through California, and eerily enough, that crime took place in July of nineteen eighty three, less than three months before this one. That's not to say that the same killer was responsible for this crime, but in both cases, the original media coverage put a heavy emphasis on the cultural differences between Europe and North America, as hitchhiking was considered to be a safer form of transportation in the victim's host countries at that time, which is why they had no qualms about doing it when they traveled overseas and speaking of the world being a much different place back in nineteen eighty three, the man who murdered Burnt and Andrea sounds like an incredibly lucky individual because they managed to get away with using a traveler's check with a woman's signing. Nature on it no less than five times, and none of the witnesses who saw him or his pickup truck managed to take down the license number. Now, what's interesting is that if you watch the fifth of State episode, they showcased two separate composite sketches of what appeared to be two separate men. However, it's not entirely clear to me if two men were actually seen together cashing these checks, or if the descriptions provided by the different attendants from the different service stations were so divergent that the authorities felt the need to create two separate sketches. Honestly, given that it would have been difficult for one killer to control both victims, it would not surprise me if more than one man was involved in this crime. But whoever the perpetrator or perpetrators might have been, it sounds like they completely disappeared off the radar after the last travelers check was used.
Speaker 3: What's really interesting when you have these two different attendants who are telling you, right, they're at different service stations, but they're telling you about different encounters with these individuals using the checks. Right, two different sketches come forward, It's possible multiple things are happening. That the memory's just simply wrong, right. There could have been two people there. But we go down diatribes every single time we talk about IWANN to S identification. It's very possible that if you ask me to recount someone coming into my store thirty minutes later, in all honesty, I won't be able to provide an accurate description. Think about how many people come in and out of a gas station. It's very similar to the retail store that I own and I work in. I see people all the time. They're like, oh, yeah, we were in yesterday, and I go, oh, okay, you know, you see hundreds of people a day, and so if they were asked to recall that information, it is possible it's the same individual coming into both service stations and they're describing the person they saw to the best of their ability. But both recollections are just off right. They don't match each other because one or both of the people recalling the facts don't have the proper factual information. That's simply the way our brains work. It's not a video camera. You're asking someone to recall these little details, and so I think it could have been two different people. But it's very possible. Those two attendants down the road were asked to recreate who they thought they saw, and they just came up with two very different versions of the same individual. It's really scary because this person I believe killed two people. The way that he acted, I almost feel like he had done it before because there was such confidence, not only with the you know, getting these people in his car and his truck, but also the way that he had such ease using their checks and not even worrying that he was going to get caught. It seems like someone who's very experienced and or who had an accomplice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I am inclined to believe it was just one man and that all these attendants saw the same man and just provided different descriptions because of faulty memories, and the authorities probably thought, well, we don't know which sketch is the most accurate, but to cover all our bases, let's just release both of them publicly anyway in case one of them turns out to be right.
Speaker 1: For years, the most promising alternate suspect was vance Hill, but since the DNA evidence on the bloody genes did not match him either, it sounds like the authorities no longer belief he was involved. The ironic thing is that the evidence against Vance was pretty much exactly the same as the evidence used to convict Andy, as all we had were the claims from his former wife, who said that he once made a drunken confession to the murders, and in both cases, the female witness never willingly came forward with this information, as they only shared their story with another person who then decided to contact the police. The key difference is that since vance Hill died back in nineteen eighty five, he never got to refute any of the allegations his wife made against him. Vance had been living in British Columbia for sixteen years and then just suddenly to decided to relocate to the United States in the weeks following the murders. Shortly after, he was arrested by the RCMP and served time in jail on an unrelated charge That might look suspicious on the surface, but given the Vance's wife and children had decided to return to California, you can understand him wanting to move there to be closer to them. Even if you discount the DNA evidence, there are still a number of holes in the theory that Bance was the killer. Willardeine Hill said that her husband told her that he picked up a male and female hitchhiker at a bar in chetwind Well. The problem is that Vance was living in Prince George at the time, which is three hundred kilometers south, so what would you be doing in chetwind to begin with. During her statement to the RCMP, Willardeine specifically said that the hitchhikers asked Vance for a ride to Dawson Creek. While the last confirmed sighting of Burned and Andrea took place at in Dawson Creek, It's located one hundred kilometers east of chetwind whereas their bodies were found thirty kilometers west in the opposite direction, So it makes no sense for the couple to want to ride to Dawson Creek, particularly when they were heading south towards Vancouver in order to catch a flight home days later. Investigators did acknowledge that even though Willadine got the time period in locations of the murders correct, during her statement, she also shared a number of details which were inaccurate, though to be fair, she was only passing along a story she'd supposedly heard from her husband thirteen years earlier. It sounds like Vance was driving a pickup truck when he lived in British Columbia in nineteen eighty three, though it's unclear if it was a late nineteen sixties Chevrolet style model which matched the description of the killer's truck. But it does not sound like Vance matched the description of the man seen using Andrea's travelers checks, as he was believed to be around forty years old, whereas Vance would have been about fifty five at the time.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean that's really hard too. I mean, aging somebody's very difficult unless he had a receding hairline. And you know, even if he had fully gray hair, A lot of people at age thirty five have gray hair, you know, and so forty fifty five, I don't know, that's really difficult to nail down somebody's age. Dance does seem like a very good fit to this crime. And like you said, are there holes in her story? Are there things that don't necessarily make sense? Yes, But remember she's recalling this thirteen years later. Her husband had written a suicide note that she found that had all of these details in there, and she doesn't bring it up because God knows, you know, that's scary. She's overwhelmed, she doesn't know what to do. He wants to end his own life, so she doesn't mention it. And then eventually, when he does die, he doesn't mention it in those letters right of what happened to these two, But she's kind of haunted by the fact that at some point he basically had a written confession that he had killed these two individuals. And so I think she's doing the best of her recollection to provide truthful information. Did he even get all the facts right? Is she recalling what she saw accurately? I think she has enough information to definitely put a red flag on Vance and to make him seem as though he's a pretty good fit. He was driving a truck at the time. I'd be really interested to know his mo of his personality. Is he calm and collected? Is he charming? Was he somebody who is clean cut and well put together that would fit that description of who we know likely picked these kiddos up. And you know, to me, I believe her.
Speaker 2: Well, it's easy to assume that Vance's eventual suicide was the result of being overwhelmed with guilt over what he had done. He was going through a number of serious issues at that time, such as the end of his marriage and chronic alcoholism, so I'm sure he could have chosen to take his own life for other reasons. It's odd that he would be willing to make a full confession about these murders to his wife but then not make any mention of them at all in his suicide notes. Look, I'm not saying that Willodein completely fabricated this entire story about the confession, as is possible that Vance may have become so intoxicated one night that he convinced himself that he committed a double murder and then decided to blab about it. Willidin even said that she thought it was nothing more than one of her husband's quote unquote drunken fantasies, which seems to indicate that he did that sort of thing all the time whenever he was inebriated. All the speculation about Vance being no longer even be necessary since the DNA testing excluded him, and I think it's likely that the real perpetrator was someone who has never even popped up on the radar as a potential suspect.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's possible too. When we have the idea that oh wait, DNA didn't.
Speaker 2: Exclude him, it did exclude him, like it didn't match the DNA on the genes.
Speaker 3: Well, then when you look at that, I mean, you have this idea that Vance likely could not have been the perpetrator. And or if we go with that idea of could there have been a second person, Maybe it's the second person's DNA, but I'm more likely to think that the killer killed alone. And so if those genes are linked to the two victims but not to Vance, then now we have to go say, Okay, who's this third person? Who? It's not Andy, it's not Vance. Who else could have been the suspect? And what's crazy is at the time, when you have hitchhiking as a common mode of transportation, it could have been anyone. It could have been anyone. It could have been someone visiting from the US and traveling through. It could have been some you know, someone who's a local where the killings took place. It could have been someone driving across the you know, across Canada. So it's nearly impossible to say, how do we look for this generic description of a truck at a man who's aged forty. I mean, you're basically describing a large portion of the population. And so it's one of those cases where, if it's not these suspects that are coming forward, your net is so wide it would take something like genetic genealogy or phenotyping or something that gave a face or a name to that DNA that was found on the genes to make a breakthrough.
Speaker 1: The good news is that authorities do have DNA on the bloodstained genes that belongs to the killer, so there's always the chance that genetic genealogy could identify him. In fact, nearly five years ago, this exact scenario took place in another infamous wrongful conviction case from Canada, and that was the nineteen eighty four murder of nine year old Christine Jeffa. An innocent man named Guy Paul Moran wound up being wrongfully convicted for the crime until he was exonerated by DNA testing, and in October of twenty twenty, it was announced that genetic genealogy had linked DNA evidence from the victim's underwear to another suspect named Calvin Hoover. Even though Hoover had died in twenty fifteen. This provided beyond a shadow of a doubt that he was the killer, so the case could officially be closed. The same thing made very well happened in this case someday, as genetic genealogy can make it possible to positively identify burned and Andrea's killer, even if they are already deceased. So until this case is solved, it will continue to remain a tragic situation for everyone involved. Andy Rose is currently seventy six years old, and even though he's been a free man for over two decades, I'm not sure if he was ever compensated for his wrongful incarceration. Well, he'd always lived a fairly difficult life. It sounds like things were going fairly well for him in nineteen eighty nine, since he had a stable job, a stable relationship, and had just welcomed his first child into the world. But then his entire existence was yanked away from him when he was charged with the murder that he didn't commit. If this hadn't happened, who knows how Andy's life ultimately would have gone. But I hope he's found some semblance of peace.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, it's really complex when you think about everything this cost. Andy had this woman come forward who said, hey, he should have in my house. He was bloody, he said he killed these two people, and that's Andy saying that's not what happened. I never did that, And somehow he gets in this trap where eventually he even says, hey, I did do it. And when it's proven he could not have been the perpetrator, Andy is released and quote free, But how free are you when you've been behind bars and you've been labeled a murderer and you've lost all of the things that you had tried to build, no matter how big those things are. Again, Andy had overcome. Andy was trying to move forward. He had good things in his life and those were taken away. So when you look at someone trying to rebuild after being in prison, after having a label on them, whether the courts say, hey, he didn't do it and or we can't reprosecute this because we don't have enough evidence. Even if everyone came forward and said he could not have done it, then you still have people in the community that say, remember that's the killer, that's the guy who did that. There's still a cloud over Andy, and it doesn't go away. Even if he had been compensated financially, you still never can escape that. That is part of now your story and part of the way people view you.
Speaker 2: As for the families of Burned and Andrea, the whole situation must have been an absolute nightmare. As I'm sure it's the most helpless feeling in the world to have your loved ones become the victims of an unsolved crime in a foreign country thousands of miles away. It must be particularly difficult to believe that the responsible party was convicted of this crime, only to find out years after the fact that it was the wrong person all along, and that the real perpetrator has gotten away with it. And this is why the victims' families deserve a conclusive resolution. So if you happen to have information about the murders of Burnt Gerica and Andrea Shirp, please contact the Chetwynd branch of the RCMP at two five zero seven eighty eight nine two T two one. That's two five zero seven eight eight nine two two one, or you can call the Canadian Crime Stoppers tip line at one eight hundred two two two eight four seven seven that's one eight hundred two two two eight four seven seven Jules Ashley any final thoughts in this case, Well.
Speaker 3: It's another one of those cases where you say, look at these two individuals who went on this life adventure. They were having fun, they were exploring, they were about to head home, and because at the time it was commonplace to trust individuals to give a ride to you, these two people looked at whoever drove up to them and said, he looks safe, he looks like he would take us where we need to go. I'm not scared of him. In fact, Andrea and Byrne had to look at each other and say, I trust this person. And that simple act of just being a human who is vulnerable and open on this kind of care free trip cost them their life. Someone prayed on that, someone took advantage of that, and in my gut, Andrea became a target in that truck. Burned, stood up for him for her and got attacked, got you know, offended the person who was driving, and they both struggled and lost to this person who took their life. It's wild when you think about people who have been killed and that we have someone who's walking around who's responsible for that. Here, you also have other victims too, though. I feel really sorry for will Is it will Adeine?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Will Adeine? I feel sorry for her. She has this this guilt and this heaviness that she carries around wondering if her husband could be or could have been a murderer. She also has this kind of weight of saying I hate to even put that out there because if I'm wrong, I'm also you know, preventing investigation into somebody else. I feel so sorry for Anne and for the relationship he had before he was arrested, for the child that he brought into this world that you know, the relationship was impacted by his arrest and subsequent imprisonment, and you think about the community at large. Somebody prayed on these two individuals and has so far gotten away with it. It is my prayer that scientific breakthrough is whether the offender is alive or not. Now that the DNA can be the key in this case, where we say, you know what, it's becoming more accessible, it's becoming easier. We have bigger databases, we have more people volunteering to share DNA information to try to link themselves to criminals and to their own family treat I think it's amazing, it's fascinating, it's exciting, but it's difficult to say how frequent and how often this case specifically might get a chance of that. But I'm praying that maybe we get answers just from the advances in science, because this has the evidence sitting there, we just have to match it to somebody.
Speaker 1: I truly feel for Burned and Andrea's families. I can't imagine what it would be like having to deal with all of the complexities of a case like this and it going on overseas. I don't know how well and if they speak English, but it would be a really difficult landscape. And then when you're dealing with Andy Rose being convicted and then it being a wrongful conviction and feeling like you have that justice taken away from you. Like actually just said, I truly believe that in the future, I hope this will be like Robin's you know list versus article where he went through all of these different Jane does and nine other ten of Jane and John does, and nine out of ten of them have gotten their identities back through the views of DNA and genetic genealogy. And I think that this is a case where we might look back in retrospect in like five years or something, and Robin is going to have this big list of cases that he's going to go down and they're going to be the ones that we've spoken about, and they'll be solved because of genetic genealogy in the future. That is my hope for this case and so many others that we've covered.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, we just mentioned the Christine Jessup murder from nineteen eighty four, one of the most infamous wrongful convictions in Canadian history, and they solved it just under five years ago and found a suspect who was never on the radar, who was already dead. But at least they could say, now we can prove that this guy was the killer. And for a long time I never thought that case would be conclusively solved because in so many wrongful conviction cases, once the wrongfully accused is released from prison, the investigation just dies. But there is a possibility of solving this one because there is genetic material belonging to the killer on the pair of bloody jeans that were found, and if they were matched up to someone, even if that person is already deceased, they can still say beyond a shadow of a doubt that this person did this, because even though Andy Rose had the charges against him drop, you can never really be fully xon erted unless they find the real killer. And so even though like he's recognized as a wrongly convicted individual, he will never receive full vindication unless they find out who did this. But yeah, it's a heartbreaking case because Burnt and Andrea just felt they were on like a once in a lifetime trip getting to backpack through Canada, and they made it two months and were nearly home before they just ran into the wrong person and was killed. And usually in wrongful conviction cases, the victims get overlooked because when they put the wrong person in prison, they become the focal point of the story and their families are told, yes, this case is solved, you have finally receive justice, only to find out years later know they got the wrong person and that the real killer is still out there. So yeah, I mentioned that this is one of the weakest cases that I've ever seen, and in a guilty verdict in conviction and the fact that it happened to Andy Rose twice with two separate juries where the only evidence was an incredible story from Adonna Kelly is just a major travesty. I think if this crime had taken place years later, he never even would have been charged and gone a trial to begin with. So yeah, major tragedy. But I do hope somewhere down the line the usenek genealogy to identify the perpetrator so that Burnt and Andrea will finally receive justice and Andy Rose will finally receive vindication.
Speaker 1: Robin, do you want to tell us a little bit about the Trail Went Cold Patreon?
Speaker 2: Yes. The Trail Cold Patreon has been around for three years now, and we offer these standard bonus features like early ad free episodes, and I also send out stickers and sign thank you cards to anyone who signs up with us on Patreon. If you join our five dollars tier Tier two, we also offer monthly bonus episodes in which I talk about cases which are not featured on the Trail Went Cold's original feed, so they're exclusive to Patreon. And if you join our highest tier tier three, the ten dollars tier. One of the features we offer is a audio commentary track over classic episodes of UNSAWD Mysteries. You can download an audio file and then boot up the original Unsolved Mysteries episode on Amazon Prime or YouTube and play it with my audio commentary playing in the background, where I just provide trivia and factoids about the cases featured in this episode. And incidentally, the very first episode that I did a commentary track over was the episode featuring this case. So if you want to download a commentary track in which I make more smart ass remarks about Jewel Kaylor, then be sure to join Tier three.
Speaker 4: So I want to let you know a little bit about the Jeweles and Nashty patreons. So there's early ad free episodes of The Path Went Chili. We've got our Pathwent Chili mini's, which are always over an hour, so they're not very mini, but they're just too short to turn into a series, and we're really enjoying doing those. So we hope you'll check out those patreons.
Speaker 1: We'll link them in the show notes.
Speaker 2: So I want to thank you all for listening, and any chance you have to share us on social media with a friend or d rate and review is greatly appreciate it. You can email us at The Pathwentchili at gmail dot com. You can reach us on Twitter at the Pathway. So until next time, be sure to bundle up because cold trails and chili pass call for warm clothing.
Speaker 1: Music by Paul Rich from the podcast Cold Callers Comedy