Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to kf I A M six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: The Apple Rule is in full effect right now because oh really, I have no idea.
Speaker 3: I had no idea. There was so much pent up feelings.
Speaker 2: I guess people feel like you need to make to make fun of me with the really exaggerated impressions.
Speaker 4: Do I'm Shannon fairn though I can eat an apple in fifteen seconds.
Speaker 3: Oh that one was never mind.
Speaker 2: I'm Gary and I don't know any of the details of this gene.
Speaker 4: Act thing, but I'm gonna sell you exactly.
Speaker 1: What happened with no commitment. You can't blame me of the information drunk.
Speaker 4: But I'm gonna make your stuff up because I'm Gary.
Speaker 3: You know I don't give everything. Oh my god, I'm Shannon.
Speaker 2: I like sports and I invented spacewalks.
Speaker 3: See how it feels? I Hey, listen, I support all of this. I'm Shannon, and I'm smart enough to sit quiet while everybody roasts scary. Yeah, I'm Gary. Bring some coaching please.
Speaker 1: Hi. I'm Gary and I rock Okay, Yeah, where's your stud horse?
Speaker 3: Daddy Stallion.
Speaker 5: I'm Gary and I tried to do the Queen every now and then.
Speaker 4: I'm Gary.
Speaker 2: I host news and Bruise and I think I'm the best things in slice pizza? Is he a seal in the beginning of I don't know, but I like the creativity.
Speaker 5: I'm Gary and I actually buckled down up.
Speaker 3: I just like to be different. I've never noticed that I'd said it twice today I have not. Well, I should start listening to you. Huh. I'm Gary. My son sold a Ford Ranger to John from Chips. Oh that's a poll. That is a poll. I'm Gary in a boyfriend for you and half and his name is Andy. And I'm still jealous. Oh my god. Everybody remembers every single thing.
Speaker 1: It's what else is going on?
Speaker 3: No, it's only because you are.
Speaker 1: You have very few flaws, so it's nice to pile on a little bit.
Speaker 3: I got a bunch of them.
Speaker 1: California Insurance Commissioner Ricardo Laura is going to meet with representatives from State Farm and Consumer Watchdog to discuss what's going on with the recent price hike. A request when it comes to you know, insurance and how we can't get it in many places.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we know that State Farm was looking for a twenty two percent increase for non tenant homeowners, fifteen percent for tenants, fifteen percent for renters, fifteen percent for tenants that were unit owners, and thirty eight percent for rental dwellings. And at first Ricardo Lara rejected that request but basically said that he's going to need to meet with them. It said that he wouldn't agree to the increase without meeting with them. Now that he's met with them, he says he's going to carefully consider the request and hopes to reach your decision sometime in the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: This is happening everywhere.
Speaker 1: To Oh, sorry, this is my stupid computer. I got a silence at there I go. This is happening everywhere where. These catalytic converters are being stolen right and just sold off. The pupil are stealing Our car was stolen, one of our cars stolen for them to steal the catalytic convert They didn't they didn't want the car. They just wanted the metal that goes with the converter. Well, sometimes the people that steal these will shoot and kill you, so don't mess around with it. Englewood police searching for two suspects. Man shot and killed when he interrupted one of these thefts outside his home on Tuesday morning. He was heading to work when he heard a noise at the neighbor's house and he tried to stop the theft, shot in the chest and killed.
Speaker 2: This is exactly what happened to Johnny Whacter, that soap opera actor back in May. He was shot by people trying to steal his catalytic converter. Unemployment claims have risen to two hundred and forty two thousand. That's the highest in three months. The number of people filing for benefits rose for the first time by twenty two thousand for the week that ended February second. Analysts had predicted that or two hundred and twenty thousand, but they actually got two hundred forty two thousand. Tomorrow, No, not tomorrow, be next Friday, we will get our unemployment report for the month of February.
Speaker 1: We told you about the death of Michelle Trachtenberg yesterday, just thirty nine years old.
Speaker 3: She was in Buffy she was Spy Kids or what have you.
Speaker 1: I don't remember exactly what that movie was gossip Girl euro Trip, a very prominent actress if you were coming of age late nineties, early two thousand's, and she died at thirty nine. She had recently had a liver transplant, problems with alcohol had been there for a long time. She died, and the initial report was maybe the liver did not take to her body, that her body rejected that transplant. The family now is objected to an autopsy for religious reasons, so the medical Examiner's office was unable to determine how she died. And that's just the way it's gonna that's just the way it's going to be. No suspicion of foul play have been associated with her death, and I mean, I get it. This is somebody who was appearing in recent videos, very frail, unhealthy, and why why, why would you need to go through with the autopsy as a family and pinpoint exactly what the problem was.
Speaker 2: Today is a national strawberry Day pointed that out Era one is selling a single strawberry for nineteen dollars.
Speaker 3: Of course they are, They do that every day, right.
Speaker 2: It's called the Elie Ami fruit strawberry from clear packaging. There's a TikTok person whose name I'm not going to tell you that did this said, Yes, this is the best strawberry I've ever.
Speaker 3: Had in my life, she said.
Speaker 2: She shouted out in the middle of the store and said, I'm going to eat every last bit of it.
Speaker 1: You're an idiot if you've got enough money to throw away nineteen dollars on a single strawberry and then you're going to brag about it. Come on, isn't this a overprice place where you pay through the nose for your foods?
Speaker 2: It sounds like it's a place from Lord of the Rings. But I've never been to Erawe as a grocery store.
Speaker 3: I've heard it's great but wildly overpriced. Yeah, that sounds me.
Speaker 1: And then it kind of takes away the greatness of it. It's like you buy a boxed meal or whatever and it's, you know, twenty five dollars and it's delicious, but you're like, I just paid twenty five dollars for lunch?
Speaker 3: What am I doing? I mean, you're full, but you're punching yourself for doing that. I don't think.
Speaker 1: Full is their endgame there. I think it's more like, you know, locally sourced honey fed mites that eat the sparkles from pelicans.
Speaker 3: And that's where your berries.
Speaker 1: Come from, honey fed mites. Listen, I'm just making things up because I'm a doctor.
Speaker 2: Dude, I'm Gary.
Speaker 3: I like to eat strawberries in the nude. What that was a visual? That guy had a little extra at the end.
Speaker 4: Oooo. It's Pahito is pehito ens and Maso was gott Gottia sel Mecurti, el mas bonito, elm.
Speaker 3: So stupid socid. It's good, so good, all right?
Speaker 2: Uh Oscar winning actor Gene Hackman and his wife and one of their dogs found dead in their home in New Mexico. Foul play not suspected, but they're not ruling anything out as of right now because the investigation is ongoing. Gene Hackman was ninety five years old, his his wife, Betsy Arakawa, sixty three years old. Deputies entered their home to do a welfare check just about one five yesterday afternoon when those bodies were found.
Speaker 1: They say it appeared that her body had decomposed more than his had, and that her hands and feet to a point were mummified. And I looked it up and science says in a typical mummification process, hands are considered one of the fastest parts of the body to dry out and mummify that it usually takes only a few days due to their relatively small size and exposure to air. So they say the process could be complete within a week, depending upon conditions, but that it could start just in a few days, which I found to be fascinating.
Speaker 3: You know what.
Speaker 1: The next part of the body to become mummified is the hands, the feet, and then guess what.
Speaker 3: You would guess? Nope, uh is it bottom? The bottom? I don't know.
Speaker 1: The scrotum, Gary, Oh, well, not everybody has the hands and the feet and then the scrotum first parts of the body to show significant desiccation due to their high surface area to volume ratio.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm Garyespol. You speak Spanish quite well, I do. Era. You don't get You're not free from this dera. I'm a vegetarian and an animal lover, but all my vegans are leopard skin for some reason.
Speaker 5: Eh, I'm a vegan, I'm not a vegetarian.
Speaker 3: Well, they can't get everything right.
Speaker 1: I do love that you wear animal stuff. I didn't think about that. It's funny.
Speaker 3: Just leopards. It's really good stuff.
Speaker 1: Would you have like a stuffed snow leopard in your home? Oh God, No, I mean like a fake one, not like a real stuffed snow.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I have a little stuffed little leopard kind of a thingy, a little like a bear that's dressed in leopard.
Speaker 3: I should say, does he have a name?
Speaker 5: No, but I can bring it in and you can name it. It's like it has a little it's a beanie baby. It's a beanie baby. It has a little leopard hat.
Speaker 3: And a little leopard coat. I love that.
Speaker 5: I don't even remember how when I got it.
Speaker 3: But I've got it, or Ken probably gave it to you. Sounds about right.
Speaker 2: A woman in North Carolina has been charged with attempted murder after allegedly locking her boyfriend in a storage unit. He was stuck there for several days with no food or water. This fifty two year old woman has been arrested on attempted murder and kidnapping charges. Her fifty one year old boyfriend had been locked in the unit Thursday. She allegedly convinced him to crawl to the back of the unit to get her something, and then slammed it shut and yelled out, this is what you get.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, what a horrible monster. He had no food, water, or power source. There were two locks on the storage unit.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: He called nine one one Monday and told the dispatcher, Yeah, the girlfriend locked me up. I've been locked in a storage unit for about a week now, and I've just now found my phone.
Speaker 2: I didn't quit. I don't know that part. I don't understand. Did he drop it on the way in or I guess.
Speaker 3: It's Pitts black. We all learned it in silence of the lambs.
Speaker 2: Well sure, everybody, He said, Sai, I just need to get out of here.
Speaker 3: I can't breathe. I haven't had nothing to drink or anything. They have a.
Speaker 1: Girlfriend that would totally do this' she looks about my age, about late forties fifty. I have a girlfriend that would totally do this. Like if she called me and she said I locked you know whoever her boyfriend is into the storage you know, I'd be like, yeah, of course you did.
Speaker 3: We probably gonna have to get him out of there. What did he do? That's the question on the table. What did he do to get locked in to deserve that this is what you get. In Wyoming.
Speaker 2: Back in nineteen eighty two, a guy planted a bomb and injured his estranged wife. And now the guy, living in New Mexico under the assumed name of Walter Lee Kaufman, has been found by the FBI. His double life began unraveling. Remember he was on the run since nineteen eighty two when he tried to murder his estranged wife. In twenty nineteen, he tried to renew his driver's license and it was tipped off. Investigators were tipped off that something wasn't right. They were both engineered. He and his wife both engineering students at the University of Arkansas in the mid seventies, and then he was able to obtain a driver's license, a passport, and even a Social Security guard a card in the name of Walter Lee Kaufman somehow using Kaufman's name in Muskogee, Oklahoma address. He was living like that for decades, even taking out Social Security benefits to the tune of one hundred and forty thousand dollars. But when in twenty nineteen he tried to renew his driver's license, it triggered a check by agents from the National Passport Center's fraud Detection Unit, and a few years later they discovered that he'd built the original Walter Kaufman had been long dead, and that his identity had been used fraudulently for decades. So the FBI SWAT team went in and executed a search warrant in New Mexico to find the Walter Kaufman, but also Stephen Campbell whichever name he was going by at the time.
Speaker 1: Muscogee, Yeah, yes, trying to figure out what Muscogee is known for.
Speaker 2: That's the town of Muscogee. Yeah, Oklahoma.
Speaker 3: I'm Gary. My stumpy dog is better than yours. That's not we can't go after the dog or the children. Guys, there are rules when we are roasting. He's just mid level. Your tongue is so cute. I'm Gary, and my wife won't let me show my sexy picture of my nipples hanging out of my knit shirt.
Speaker 1: It's not because she's keeping them nipples for herself. It's because she's protecting him from embarrassment.
Speaker 3: Let's be clear.
Speaker 1: She's happy to share his nipples with you. It's just for his own saving face. And it's not about your nipples that are the problem. It's the top, like, to be honest, the whole mesh. It's the mesh top that's the problem.
Speaker 2: Those shorts were not a thing either.
Speaker 3: I don't remember the shorts.
Speaker 1: It's kind of hard to pay attention to the shorts with that top and the nipples and the whole. My eyes are up here by the way with the Okie from Muskogee song.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm thinking of.
Speaker 2: Well, speaking of stumpy dogs, there is a new pill that the FDA has approved that could keep your older dogs living.
Speaker 3: For a little bit longer. We'll talk about that when we come back. And we've got hot bird news coming up in Strange Science.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of bird stories in that Strange So damn right there are bless me.
Speaker 3: And they were going to talk about you just sneeze, but turn off your mic.
Speaker 2: Yes, I learned that when I was a freshman in college, that you're supposed to do that.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm Gary.
Speaker 1: I learned when I was a freshman to turn off my mic before I sneak. U.
Speaker 3: Gary and I won't fight in the car, even though it's one of the funniest things a man can do. Oh, my wife doesn't want it in her hair.
Speaker 4: In her hair either i' Gary and I have a boomshuk and lama ew I'm Gary.
Speaker 3: Don't let me near your spice cabinet or I might get a little spicy. It's a good pull.
Speaker 2: That's like all those Yes, some of those are pretty uh pretty, they got hair on them now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they do chest hair and face hair. Dog owners we do.
Speaker 2: We do everything to keep our companions happy and healthy. And there is a new anti aging pill that might be coming your way for canine owners.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is fascinating because I think everybody has had that point when you have a pet and the pet is getting older and you know what direction this is headed, and you just hope that the pet will not suffer, and it's just it's awful. So this is called Loyal, the biotech startup that's come up with this. They're based in San Francisco, and they say that their drug that they've developed to increase canine live span has passed a significant milestone on the way to regulatory approval. They may start circulating this thing before they get the full approval though, so they can record data on it it's safe. If they just don't know if it's as effective as they're hoping.
Speaker 2: This brings up some interesting issues because there are things, and it's not just with dogs. I mean, we, I think, don't do death great. We humans. Obviously, it generates ridiculous amount of fear in some people. It's sometimes not pretty. It can be very painful, even not the person dying, but I mean painful to watch somebody die. And there's this weird thing that we do with our pets where we anthropomorphize them. We make them into humans a lot of times. I mean, we give them, we give them human names many times like oh.
Speaker 3: Peter, some of us do.
Speaker 2: But but so we play out this thing, you know, I mean, many of us are going to have multiple pets die throughout the course of our lifetime. But we're only going to have, you know, so many of our loved ones pass away because we only have so many loved ones. But you're gonna have five or six or eight or ten of your pets die throughout the course of your life. And I just I'm not sure that I'm not sure that this is the right way to do this.
Speaker 1: It's one thing if the dog is in good health, I mean, but how do you know what's going to happen, right, you don't want to extend the suffering if your dog's good And who the hell am I to say? I mean everyone is going to Dogs are like children. You're going to make your own rules for your own house, the whole bit. But you know, say your dog is in good health at ten years and then you give the dog the drug, and then it prolongs at another ten to fifteen years or what have you.
Speaker 3: I don't know how it works. This is just hypothetical.
Speaker 1: But the dog gets sick, you know, two years into this, do you just I guess at that point you stop giving the drug because you don't want your dog to live longer being sick. But if the dog's in good health, you can keep the dog alive.
Speaker 3: Is that how it works?
Speaker 1: I'm not sure. I don't know if they know that yet until they start trying it out. Yeah, because that's one thing. If your dog's ten or twelve years old and you want to extend this dog's life, it's the dog is fu I can understand, you know, wanting to go another six eight years if you could.
Speaker 2: I uh, yeah. And there's a point where we've talked about humans living past a certain time. You don't want to live past the age of about fifty eight, I think is what you capped it out at, is that forty six, So forty left. Forty six is going to be where you top out and at that point where you're just going to venture off into the sunset somewhere. No, but there's a there's a thing where our bodies we can keep alive. Bodies we can. There's a lot of scientific advancements that allow us to keep the human body ticking for a very long time. But it brings with it the questions of should we you know, what what quality of life was?
Speaker 3: Because we can doesn't mean we should.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I mean then this this kind of for me, this falls into that the cost consumers is yet to be determined, but they said that they want to make it accessible to as many doctors as possible, ideally for less than one hundred dollars a month, which is still that's still a lot for you know, for people on top of the normal care of keeping in care of a pet one hundred bucks a week to people.
Speaker 1: Pay thousands of dollars, Oh sure, or just a chance, just a chance that their pet will be saved.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean we ran through that. We did that.
Speaker 2: Our previous dog had a pretty sizable tumor and the doctor, when my wife took him to a specialist, the doctor was like, yeah, we could, we could try to do surgery, but you're leaving him with a partial jaw, and dogs don't do well with partial jaws.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, he turns out. They liked the whole thing.
Speaker 2: It's amazing how they do that. I mean, you could sit there and nurse the dog and you know, intravenously feed the dog and keep them alive for whatever amount of time. But then that, I mean, that is such a drain on that dog's quality of life or whatever.
Speaker 3: Pet. Anyway, that's all sad. Stop talking about sad stuff.
Speaker 1: The good thing is is that you know, maybe if your dog's in good health, you'll be able to hang on to that dog a little bit longer.
Speaker 3: So there's there's a silver lining. That's good. It's time for strange science, and we'll go with that. Strange. It's like weird science, but strange. Well.
Speaker 2: I hate to steal the Puffin story, but I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: I'm back, yes, right, I don't know what happened, but it got rid of me. And I thought my way back to give the puffin news.
Speaker 3: M good.
Speaker 2: I see, I see that it was the puffins that drew you out of your slumber.
Speaker 1: I love puffins, right, I just I love the idea of puffins. And I was very old when I first saw a puffin up in Alaska, and I was startled because I thought puffins, when you'd see a picture of a puffin, were these big, massive birds. And when I saw them, they were these little baby birds. I had no idea they were so small.
Speaker 3: Did you make that same mistake or no.
Speaker 2: I have never seen a puffin in real life that I can recall. Actually I probably haven't a zoo somewhere, but I don't think i've I've definitely not seen them in the wild.
Speaker 1: There's a small rocky island off Iceland that's home to the world's largest breeding colony of Atlantic puffins. When breeding season is in full go, there are about one point five million adults that pair up and nestle into burrows on the grassy seaside slopes. Once the chicks hatch, puffin moms and dads to vote about six weeks to caring for their babies. They bring them meals of small fish, they fend off predators like seagulls, and then by August or early September, the little pufflings are mature enough to live on their own. Their instinct is to head for the open ocean, where they will spend most of their lives. But sometimes they lose their way. Really, I mean, this town near Iceland or in Iceland, only got electricity about a century ago. So sometimes the puffins take a wrong turn because they're dazzled by the night lights.
Speaker 2: Well they talk about this. It's not puffing or puffin patrol. It's the puffling patrol searches for and rescues these birds that have gone astray.
Speaker 3: The baby puffing puffins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's funny. They call it puffling puffling. Yeah, you're gonna have to get a little shirt, says I. Puffle for food?
Speaker 1: Or will puffling puffling? Not puffling puffling?
Speaker 3: Luffling?
Speaker 2: Oh, I get it, like baby puffin got it? Never mind, got it, got it?
Speaker 3: I get it. Look at you. You made an error.
Speaker 1: I asked for an air four hours ago and I finally got one.
Speaker 3: Okay, it wasn't a heroin needle in your arm. No, But the day is young.
Speaker 2: A boy sciences have developed a new artificially intelligence powered modeling method that mimics how birds produce songs, similar to how large language models like chat GPT would generate human sentences. They said they train these AI models on birds song recordings and the model can successfully recreate sequences of Bengalese finch songs, revealing important insights into how birds structure their vocalizations.
Speaker 3: That we Bengalese finch, that.
Speaker 2: We birds and humans can arrange our vocal expressions in very structured ways. When it comes to human speech, the words follow specific grammatical rules of birds sing in organized syllabic patterns.
Speaker 3: This is strange way to put it. So look up what the bengales finch sounds like. It sounds a little bit like this. I'm gary, I'm a carbon based life.
Speaker 1: For get it, strange science, I get it. That's very funny, and listen.
Speaker 2: I don't know exactly where it started, but this was the first one of the day because.
Speaker 3: I don't remember.
Speaker 2: Oh, I have a good sense of knowing where I'm at, and that started an absolute waterfall of those types of calls for some reason.
Speaker 1: I'm Gary, this may be better than the apple day.
Speaker 3: It may be better. Yeah, how did that? Was that just that guy's.
Speaker 1: Own take on something that you were it's giving yourself a pat on the back for having good direction.
Speaker 2: Well, and it wasn't. I didn't say, I don't think. I said I have good directions. I know where I'm going. I said, my wife tells me often that I know.
Speaker 4: No, no, no no.
Speaker 1: The first time you did I did. You said I have a good sense of direction. And I specifically remember it because you threw your your wife under the bus at the same time. Oh that's right, She'll walked twelve miles in the wrong direction. And you said, you said I have a good sense of the direction. Now, I didn't take it as a look at me, I'm.
Speaker 3: So wonderful, but apparently that guy did.
Speaker 1: But the second time you talked about it, you did say, my wife does say that I have a good sense of direction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio LAP