Speaker 1: Hey, hello everyone. My name is Frieda Vizel. Welcome or welcome back to all of you for another live stream on my channel. We are recording on April twenty nine at.
Speaker 2: Three pm Eastern time. What is it noon for you in California? I know me?
Speaker 1: That is right, Okay, great, it's noon. Perfect time to do a little bit of a chat. Thank you all who are here for the live The idea is to be able to take your questions, especially for some of the people who have been on my channel, some of my beloved guests who've been on my channel several times, so we can have a conversation that's more interactive. So please in the chat leave your comments or questions and we'll try to field some of them. If you're here when we're not live anymore, you're rewatching it another time. I'm happy you're here as well. Leave a comment in the video description.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: My guest today is the wonderful Noomi Sideman, who I have had on my channel several times. I think the last time we did something together was in Poland, correct, I think that's right. Yeah, we went to Poland together and that was amazing. Today we are going to be discussing Nomi's book.
Speaker 2: Nomi is a.
Speaker 1: Scholar at University of Toronto and the author of several books. Today we're going to be discussing the marriage plot, and hopefully we'll talk about Judaism, marriages, arranged marriages, not arranged marriages, and marrying in the faith or outside of the faith. What do you think of that, Nomi?
Speaker 3: That is great. I would love to talk about that.
Speaker 4: Awesome.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for agreeing to do it. How are you doing. How's everything great?
Speaker 3: Yay? Short semesters?
Speaker 2: Yeah, how come you're in California and you're house.
Speaker 5: Our semesters are very short in Toronto. My last day of I mean I didn't actually teach this semester, but if I would have, my last day of teaching would have been April third, fourth. It's something like that. So I was back here for my birthday in April sixth. So yeah, it's I mean, it's great being a professor. And you know, the two best things about about being a professor what.
Speaker 4: No, I don't know li in August, but I see.
Speaker 3: May and June are great too.
Speaker 5: In the case, I keep going, just finishing up like various little things for this semester and then going to France.
Speaker 2: You go to France.
Speaker 3: How come you know?
Speaker 5: We my partner and I like almost never take vacations like academics.
Speaker 3: We go.
Speaker 5: I have an academic friend who says, I'm very polite. I only go places I'm invited. We tend to organize our vacations quote unquote around conferences or he has a gig somewhere, We'll go along, and I'll go along and take.
Speaker 3: An extra day.
Speaker 5: And so that way we don't like actually have to do what you know ordinary people do, which is actually buy a plane ticket and go somewhere, make a hotel reservation. And I was just thinking, you know, we're never gonna get invited to the South of France, so I'm never gonna go because they're never gonna have a Jewish studies conference. And I thought I could just buy a plane ticket. Actually it was all on miles. I have a lot of miles, which is what happens when you have a life like mine.
Speaker 3: So we're paid the.
Speaker 5: Hope for the whole thing on miles and made a reservation and we're going to the South of France, which neither of us has ever been there. So we're going on what other people call a vacation, no talks, no jazz, at least no jazz that John plays, and we're gonna do what people do.
Speaker 2: Wow, how long are you going?
Speaker 6: Ten days, ten days Sundays.
Speaker 5: I know, I know, I'm just really really hoping to take care of everything so I don't have to have meetings on Zoom, but I do.
Speaker 3: I'm actually going to teach one class pretty much in the middle.
Speaker 5: Of the night from France, so yeah, I know I couldn't totally clear my schedule.
Speaker 2: Wow, look at you going to the south of France.
Speaker 1: Also, since we're talking about marriage and all of that, I'm surprised to hear you talk about John as your partner, which is now the trendy way of people talking about their husbands.
Speaker 5: And why I'm confusing to people because like your business partner, your lesbian partner, you know, like what is it? And I don't wear a wedding ring.
Speaker 3: So no, we actually are legally married. We got legally married three days before my our son was due.
Speaker 5: We went really courthouse, and we were so kind of embarrassed to be doing something so square that we.
Speaker 3: Didn't tell anybody.
Speaker 5: And not only that, we don't like observe our wedding anniversary.
Speaker 3: And the word husband gives me the hebgb's, so I just can't say it.
Speaker 5: I mean, you don't have all these gender issues, so I don't like the word husband. Partner is weird. I guess I could call him my boyfriend. I think that's kind of sexy.
Speaker 1: I might start to really, but he's if you can't call him your boyfriend if he's your husband.
Speaker 3: Is there a law?
Speaker 2: There is a law?
Speaker 5: Oh well, well guess I'll just have to go to relationship jail.
Speaker 2: I will, I will bail you out.
Speaker 4: I feel like, thank you, thank you?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting, See this is the first time I hear I hear about how you got married. Is it okay if I ask you some more personal questions about your marriage?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: John, Yeah?
Speaker 2: Did you never have a fancy, proper wedding?
Speaker 3: We never got the cash and prizes.
Speaker 2: But did you ever wear a white dress?
Speaker 5: And I mean I wore the maternity my fanciest maternity shirt.
Speaker 3: It was nine months pregnant, nine and half or whatever it was. No, we did not have a fancy wedding.
Speaker 5: We didn't have a neither of us like we have this kind of aversion to I don't know, bourgeois conventional like, for instance, we live here with housemates, which is I think unusual for a married couple.
Speaker 3: And we also said we have a little we have one housemate.
Speaker 4: Now we and that housemate has a pet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't.
Speaker 5: I don't think I told you that Vanessa died. But I know we're not talking about pets this time. Oh no, I know, you know what. That's another reason we're going to friends. Because so Vanessa had kidney disease and we had our living room looked like a hospital room because we had this ivy thing. We gave her iv every night and we weren't going to go anywhere with her that's sick. And I told you I came back home, I guess for Paysach on my birthday and she was doing fine.
Speaker 3: She did. You couldn't even tell she was sick.
Speaker 5: And then the day I got back, she just she couldn't jump up on the couch. She was suddenly very weak. We took her to the emergency room and she died that night. They called us a two in the morning and said, if you want to see her, come quick. And you were in Toronto, No, it was my first day back in California, and when.
Speaker 3: It was three or four weeks ago, Oh.
Speaker 2: My goodness, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 7: It was.
Speaker 3: It was devastating.
Speaker 5: I mean, I've heard people describe the difference between a pet dying and a close human being dying, and for some reason, it's like the pet thing gets way deep in there. And also they're not ambivalent relationships. They're pure relationships. He are not like well I sometimes like them, I sometimes don't the way we all have these complicated human relationships. They're super uncomplicated and they're super pure, and their death is just devastating as I think, you know. Yeah, anyway, so that just happened, and yes, it was devastating, and it was also freeing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry for putting it that way. We loved you, but.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, don't worry. She gets it. She gets it.
Speaker 1: She's listening, but she she's die.
Speaker 5: The only thing she got, I mean, what she got is she knew she was sick. She would let us take care of her. She would be trembling so hard when we gave her these ivs and we were not good at it, so we would her her and she would yelp, and she would still let us do it. And then at the very end, the only way I can describe it is she was trying to tell us something. She was making these noises I've never heard before, like these intense, eye contacted these noises and basically saying help me, is how I can interpret it.
Speaker 3: And we helped her by letting the letting them do what they do.
Speaker 5: They're in those veterinarian emergency rooms. Okay, but let's talk about let's talk about my research if you don't mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, okay, well, because.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm when does an academic ever get to have this kind of exposure?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you have done research on dogs, though, but we're not talking about that today.
Speaker 3: I'm talking about dogs jobs.
Speaker 5: I like Freud. I became a deep, deep, deep dog lover. In my case, it wasn't dogs in general. Like, we actually have two dogs. One is my housemates, and I have no feelings for one of them. I'm kind of like confessing deep in humanity and coldness in relation to one of my dogs. But I used to say, I look at Mooch, one of our dogs is Muchkala.
Speaker 3: I look at much and I see a dog, cute dog.
Speaker 5: I looked at Vanessa and I saw Vanessa.
Speaker 2: Do you remember Vanessa's been on my videos?
Speaker 3: Vanessa?
Speaker 5: I yes, eternalized, immortalized, I hope, yeah.
Speaker 4: Sweet.
Speaker 1: Okay, then let's let you talk about let's talk about marriage. Let's let's go back to you for a.
Speaker 2: Minute, and then we're going to talk about your research. Is that okay?
Speaker 4: So something that I.
Speaker 1: Think about quite a bit is the clash of values that present themselves with two people merging together, which obviously is so difficult in so many scenarios. I was at the gym and this absolutely wonderful woman told me she's getting married to a sort of from Ish guy, and that guy's family is from and they're navigating the wedding. Just the wedding alone is so complicated because you have all of these families coming together from different values. Who's going to be in the men's side, who's going to be in the women's side? Is there going to be a men's side of women's side? People are going to be offended if you do that, but other people will be offended if you don't. There's so much happening with my own son. I didn't make a bar mitzvah for this reason, and so many people were so offended that I didn't, but I just couldn't figure out how to do it.
Speaker 2: So anyway, I find it.
Speaker 1: Interesting that you didn't actually have a wedding to John.
Speaker 2: Was it intentional in that sense?
Speaker 3: I know, I know the point. Actually, Can I tell you a little bit about Essa's bar menzvah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 3: So we did have.
Speaker 5: A bar mensa for our son, and at first we were, you know, I had this idea that you know, I'm in secular, atheist whatever, that it was gonna be a kind of like unusual bar mitzvah. We tried to like get like a family history and a vision quest and spend the day alone and nature.
Speaker 3: I had all these grand ideas, and the end it was really.
Speaker 5: Hard to pull it off, and we just hired someone to teach my son how to read from the Torah. And then at the very last minute, my mother decided to come and.
Speaker 3: Which is very, very moving, but we really weren't quite prepared.
Speaker 5: And it was because so this won't be surprising to you, because you know about these huge families, but I have a brother who's I don't know.
Speaker 3: Third son was born on the very same day as my son, and.
Speaker 5: My cousin, who's like very open minded but kind of classidic, asked my mother which bar mitzvah you're gonna go through? And my mother said, I don't know. She's like, well, how do you choose between? So suddenly she kind of got my mother to think about going. And we had it on a Monday because we just couldn't manage the Shavist thing, and it happened to be Memorial Day, so people were off of work, but we had arrange to have it in where I was teaching, which was a Christian divinity school. So like we just pulled down so many crosses from the wall and we went to the Orthodox Synagogue and borrowed a maritza and we put the maritza just in the first three rows, and my mother's sitting there with my claucidic cousin who basically got her to go, and my sister because she was pretty old to be traveling alone, and we were like, who's going to be on the men's side. And I had a trans student who had just become a trans man, and I think he was so happy to be on the men's side. He was there with like fill in and he was shuckling. He had also converted into Judaism. And my mother, my mother was looking at him like that, like, well, you have such froom friends students.
Speaker 3: My student, she's like beautiful, you know, she.
Speaker 5: Was my trans student, very happy to be on the men's side of the militza.
Speaker 1: And then three there was just two people, Ezra, your husband and.
Speaker 5: My my father in law and my student, and everybody else wanted to sit in the mixed section, so we just had the back was mixed.
Speaker 3: So it was like everybody every somebody said during the.
Speaker 5: You know, during the party, it was just a little party with we had kosher food. But of course it wasn't going to be cod. My mother was you know, it wasn't going to trust it. But you know, we tried to make it. At least my mother wasn't watching people eat trade. It was like my mother bent bent toward us, and we bent toward her. And it was really the beginning of a kind of beautiful rep Prochemont.
Speaker 3: My mother brought I think you could see them. Where are they?
Speaker 5: My mother brought like the only family heirlooms that she has from Europe, like and They were like a very plain kiddish cup not from before the Holocaust but after the Holocaust, but Europe and candles shot us candles, and she gave them to my son, and I was like, why, my son. My mother had you know, many many grandchildren and great grandchildren, and she said, I don't know what your siblings.
Speaker 3: Are gonna give you when I'm gone, so I want you to have this.
Speaker 5: So my mother, really, my mother wrote a five hundred dollars check, which was you know, my mother had very little money, so I never cashed it, which I think may have offended her. But it was just a really beautiful way, and it came together at the last minute, and it happened. A wedding I think would have been much more difficult through all these My husband's father is Jewish but not his mother, and which as you know, means to my religious family, and he's not Jewish, and he would have had to convert Orthodox, which was he would have had to say he was gonna It just was.
Speaker 3: Too complicated to pull off.
Speaker 5: And also we were both like we had tons of we're both bisexual, we had tons of gay friends, and we were kind of embarrassed and we had this like heteronormative privilege.
Speaker 3: You know, we live in the Bay Area.
Speaker 5: We just it's funny we have to be embarrassed in marriage became legal.
Speaker 3: He said to me, Oh, let's get married.
Speaker 4: No, it's so funny.
Speaker 1: It's a culture of its own where marriage between a heteronormative couple is or not even embarrassing.
Speaker 4: He's embarrassing.
Speaker 3: I can say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So let's talk about your research. What was your about? Yeah, what was the book about?
Speaker 3: So my book?
Speaker 5: Maybe I'll start by saying, so, there's a really influential book. It goes back to the nineteen fifties when people still read. It's called The Rise of the Novel, and it basically describes like how the novel came to be, and it traces a kind of history of like worship of the virgin Mary, to the chivalric romance where the chival where you have the lady that is kind of virginal, she's married, but she's not the night can't have her, and to the novel which plays at this whole worship of women and fascination with women's beauty, and this kind of translation of religious ideas into erotic ideas. Right, this kind of spirituality, the sublime romantic love, and he described that's how in eighteenth century England where he sees the novel kind of beginning it suddenly you suddenly had all kinds of conditions that made it.
Speaker 3: Women had more free time.
Speaker 5: They were kind of because these were industrial societies, they were now depending on male labor, which meant that they were actually quite dependent on men. So these novels basically flattered them by centering, you know, adored women and then kind of covered over the fact that women needed men to survive economically by having the men want the women.
Speaker 3: So it's it's this very influential history of the novel.
Speaker 5: And basically I set out to write the kind of rise of the Jewish novel, like how did this all play itself out in Jewish circles and the difference between it in some ways, it played itself out in many, many different societies. So with the distinct the difference that these societies didn't inherit these Christian ideas. So the novel, according to Ian Watt, inherited all kinds of Christian ideas, including the fascination with female virginity not a thing in Judaism, the kind of the praise of celibacy, again not a thing in Judaism.
Speaker 3: Knights.
Speaker 5: Jews were familiar with knights from as one put, as one scholar puts it, from the other end of their spare like there is they experienced.
Speaker 3: Nights, not as like the knight in shining armor.
Speaker 5: But like oh my god, run, yeah, what happens when when this developed, this this novel which became a.
Speaker 3: Thing all over the world and all kinds.
Speaker 5: Of societies, how did it manifest itself differently in a society like Jewish society, which didn't have the prehistory that Ian Watt said the monarch European novel had. It didn't have all kinds of things it had, you know, it didn't have.
Speaker 3: The you know, the first even.
Speaker 5: The idea that women's beauty is more interesting than men's beauty. The tallement has all this stuff about men's beauty. Right, Reba Yochanan is supposed to be very beautiful. Rache laquis like makes the passi him. So it had all kinds of other things behind it, other kinds of traditions. And even though in the nineteenth century, Jewish writers adopted the novel and created a revolution which is called modern Jewish literature, they did it differently, and that's what my book is about. It's like, what does it mean to be what does it mean to be participating in novel writing? And I'll just point out that the word novel in many different languages, including Hebrew and Yiddish, but also French et cetera, is Roman or romance. So Roman, what does it mean to be writing romance? And this is a question that some of the Jewish writers asked, is how do we write a romance?
Speaker 3: We don't know anything about romance.
Speaker 5: We were married off at the age of fourteen to a twelve year old, like we never one of them says in this mental milch As Farm. I don't know if you've heard of him, the great, the grandfather of modern Hebrew Yiddish literature. He's like, I can't write a novel slash romance. I never went to a bull, I never fought a duel, I never flirted with a woman, a young woman our eyes meaning across, how do I do it?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 5: I just have no life experience. The only experience I have is reading novels. So one of the things I say is that you know, to become modern was to start reading novels, and it was to fall in love with the literary idea of romance, which was foreign to Jewish traditional culture, not entirely foreign, but in the same way that it's foreign to many other traditional cultures where arranged marriage is the norm.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's so interesting saying, because I often talk in my own work and my own tours about the fact that you can go into asiach bookstore and you won't find a single romance novel, and I think for the average person it leaves this huge gaping sense of then what are these books? How could there be all of these books without the love story? And it's sometimes hard for me to articulate. It's almost like I have to go through and show what they're all about in order to show yes, you can actually have stories, and they're not there's no romance in them at all.
Speaker 5: So one of the things that one of the writers said in the nineteenth century, Marshal Lais Lillian Bloom, who wrote a memoir about growing up you know, religious. One of the things he says is that the Jewish conception of the Christian conception of love, where you can say the Christian that then becomes the European conception of love highlights this one particular kind of love and is kind of obsessed with it. So the young, you know, the people at their bioerotic peak, sixteen seventeen year olds, hormones flowing. That kind of love is the staple, which you know for most people lasts a couple of years.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: That's if you looked at Hollywood movies and novels, you think that was like most of life. But he said Jewish love. Jews understand love to be so much more, he says, including the love of parents and children, the love of even the loves in which that marriages from which marriages are built. For instance, in Shifkreh Best and Praise with the Bolsheintov, which is a kind of novel about the founding of the Hasidic movement, it says very clearly that I think his name is Rabbi Abraham falls in love with the young Balshamtov, and his heart is drawn to him, and he decides, this will be.
Speaker 3: My son in law.
Speaker 5: Wow, you will find that in the books in your Hassidics bookstores. Other kinds of love. People don't live without love. It's also the Bible, so that One of the interesting things is the first best selling novel, the first big runaway novel that was read gobbled up by all these Aeshiva boys gone bad, right hidden in the pages of their tumut. They're reading this novel and it's called Avatsion, the Love of Zion, and it takes place in the time, in Biblical times, presumably because the author felt well in the Bible they still knew about love. Right, there's the song of songs. Those are Jews, you know, the Rachel fell in love. I mean Jacob fell in love with Rachel and worked for her for seven years. And I mean one of the things that I talk about is that the Bible actually has both kinds of ideas about love.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 5: So one idea is there is one true person for you, and no her sister isn't an allowable substitute. One true love, right, one and one only. And the other idea is in the dark old cats are alike. I see your cat.
Speaker 4: She's scratching at me.
Speaker 2: She's like got her claws on my side.
Speaker 3: I'm not alike. I'm the one true cat.
Speaker 5: So the principle behind arranged marriage you more or less throw you know, an eighteen year old girl and an eighteen year old boy into a room together, and you know what age this is that differs, And you know a year later there's a baby.
Speaker 3: Doesn't really matter who they are.
Speaker 5: And those like those two ideas codist in the Bible too, because Jacob actually sleeps with Rachel's sister Leah, and he.
Speaker 3: Doesn't know, he thinks it's Rachel.
Speaker 5: So the question of whether there is want you love and what it means right that Tatoma says, forty days before you were born, God decrees who you're gonna marry. Does that mean that you shouldn't try and meet anyone at a party or does that mean that the true love is fated to be right?
Speaker 3: So even that belief is hard to square with.
Speaker 5: Like what exactly dos believe about love and true love? My argument is that they adopt the European model because the European model is so delicious thing. It's the big lollipop of modernity, why we want to be moderns. They adopt it, but they can never take it one hundred percent seriously, which is why the great what I call the counter narratives of this story of true love. A lot of these counter narratives come from Jewish writers, including you could say Filler on the Roof.
Speaker 1: Which is the counter narrative because Fiddler Tavia and his wife they love each other from time together, not from magical.
Speaker 3: And way is that love comes.
Speaker 5: So one form of counter narrative is you live with someone and then you learn to love them. Another counter narrative speaking from the realm of literature, sorry, garbage truck reality. So another counter narrative is that the only important people in the love story are the young couple.
Speaker 3: The only purpose of the parents, having.
Speaker 5: Raised them to the point where they can fall in love with each other, is to be obstacles and delay the sexual satisfaction to make it better, because we all know that sexual satisfaction delayed is a form of erotic incentive. So that's how it works. The parents are in the novel. The parents are basically there or Romeo and Julia. They're basically there to hate each other so that the love affair becomes tortured and it all just becomes hotter and hotter and hotter.
Speaker 3: That's the purpose of parents.
Speaker 5: The Fiddler on the Roof, Ted the Teviot stories that they're based on the great heresy that is accomplished by Fiddler on the Roof and the Tavot stories is that that same story of young love is told.
Speaker 3: From the parent's perspective. No one ever cared about the parents.
Speaker 5: Before, AND's like, let's see what it's like to be tevia. Let's see what it's like when your daughter marries a communist or when your daughter marries a nonjo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's and people think.
Speaker 5: This is this The story is really the story about how modern romance has to naturally develop out of the backward traditional marriage.
Speaker 3: And my argument is that.
Speaker 5: What the reason why it's so popular and such a great hit is because it's one of the very very few stories that tells about the move from traditional marriage to modern romance in terms of the price that's paid for it. Yeah, no one else talks about the price that's paid. And the price that's paid is no mahatanin parents kicked out of the scene the you know. And it's exciting for the young couple until they realiz they have no community and no family around them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Heavy himself has no in laws.
Speaker 5: In laws is actually a bad translation of mat It's another thing I talk about in the.
Speaker 2: Book Why Why is it a bad translation?
Speaker 3: In law?
Speaker 7: My family, so the the you know, when I say my mats or my marutten, I'm talking about a kinship relation that doesn't exist in the English.
Speaker 5: I'm talking about the my child's partner's parent. So in other words, I have a father and a mother in law. John has a father and a mother in law, had a father and mother in law, but my father in law and is not has not I say, I'm describing his relationship with my parents.
Speaker 4: I see, I see, I see.
Speaker 5: They work out who's gonna pay for thee and that's it. They're not real relatives. And in Jewish in Jewish marriage, marriages construct kinship not only between the young couple and their children, they also construct kinship backward. And when you're a minority diasporic community, you need as much kin as possible. In case the progrum cons which is what happens to Tavia, and he has no mahatanum. Who's his marutin right, his children married communists or non Jews or whatever. There's no makatanum, he has no safety network, which is what mahatanum often were, and there's no extended family for the young couple. Obviously in the heat of the passion, they don't care. But you have a kid and suddenly you do care. We all know how useful your parents suddenly become when you have a kid, right.
Speaker 1: And yeah, interesting? Okay, So first of all, I have to say to all of you who are here for the live stream.
Speaker 2: Thank you for being here.
Speaker 1: You're here for my conversation with the scholar Gnomi Siteman from University of Toronto. We're talking about marriages and romance and how they play out in Jewish history. Would love to hear your questions for know MEI I'll take them in a minute.
Speaker 2: I'll read some questions.
Speaker 1: This is something that's really interesting because I think we live in a culture where life is considered incomplete if you haven't if you haven't experienced that kind of romance, that feeling of being in love, and it's very interesting to me to observe. Sometimes I'll see people from the Sich community who are married at eighteen and arranged marriage to someone that they have a practical relationship, with a functional relationship, with a successful family, and yet they go into the world in their twenties and thirties and learn about romance and they feel deprived of a very very special experience that seems like one of the most important experiences.
Speaker 2: To have in life.
Speaker 1: I'm wondering if you can speak to that, Like, what would be your comment to someone who would say, I feel terrible that I've lived life without that kind of romantic love.
Speaker 5: Look, there's no doubt about it that that's a primary experience.
Speaker 7: I mean.
Speaker 5: Ian Watt's argument is that so secularization, romance comes out of secularization the and Ian what and other people say, religion doesn't just disappear.
Speaker 3: It gets channeled into other drives.
Speaker 5: And one of the places that religion gets channeled into is this kind of quasi religion idea of this the highest experience. He calls it the sex religion or the romance religion, this religion that we're all indoctrinated into in the West, which isn't to say it isn't true. But I want to say two things about it in the first and they're vying for what I'm gonna say first.
Speaker 3: So first I'll say is that.
Speaker 5: It isn't that traditional societies, particularly let's call them Jewish societies, don't have erotic connections. One of the ways in which I describe the erotic distribution of energy. Let's say in traditional religious highly religious communities, Orthodox, acidic, but probably more than just that, is that they divide erotic energies into two different spheres.
Speaker 3: One of the spheres is.
Speaker 5: An erotic size homosocial sphere, by which I mean a sphere that is this is particularly true for men. So let's take men as the example. That men live a big share of their lives, a big part of their lives in all male groupings, events, dances, a tish, all these that are partly eroticized. Right, you look at these spheres, They're shoulder to shoulder with other men, they're swaying, they're in love with the tzadik. Right, these are highly eroticized. I'm not saying they're having sex with each other, but some kind of erotic bond that's taking place in a purely male sphere. And then at the same time, normatively they're all married.
Speaker 3: Right, You're not supposed to not be married.
Speaker 5: And that's a sphere that's partially de euroticized. It's the de euroticized because it's arranged by parents. Often it's not expected to be the full sum total of your erotic investment and then just to add things to So there are these two spheres, and they work together to create a community, a religious community, and they're connected to each other. The heterosexual heteronormative let's call them partially de euroticized bonds. These marriages that aren't expected to be the be all and end all of everything, they're connected to the homosexial spheres.
Speaker 3: The marriages are.
Speaker 5: Arranged by two men who are friends with each other, or two families that are friends with each other.
Speaker 3: Are two So these two spheres work together to create a community that's thoroughly.
Speaker 5: Let's call it, has these erotic connections. It's not just the married couple having sex. That eroticism is distributed. It much more widely, and you can almost say throughout the community as a whole. The price is that you're missing this great experience. Now, first of all, this great experience, the Western world acts like it's guaranteed.
Speaker 3: Right, you're a human being, you're going to have it. First of all, not everybody does for whatever.
Speaker 5: Reason, you don't find the person, or you're not for you know, whatever reason.
Speaker 3: Where we take a chance.
Speaker 5: And then the other thing is that these are not the heteronormative bond, if you want to call it that, which is the lollipop that modernity hands the traditional societies. It basically results in a nuclear family, not in a you know, if you're doing things right, which is also supposed to be the be all and end all, and it basically serves does not serve the purpose of creating communities. So, in other words, what is a com unity. If you're a heterosexual couple, you double date with another heterosexual couple, your kids have play dates. Right there, you've basically given up on that kind of erotic distribution which creates placidic community, and in exchange for that, you've had what a couple of years is really intense passion. If you're lucky, maybe you do it three or four times, and you live in the Bay Area, you do it every night.
Speaker 3: I mean, in other words, these are the trade offs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I hear you.
Speaker 1: It's so interesting because it's something I think about often myself. The invention in my own life of the term romance versus platonic or romantic versus platonic, which I experienced a shift of going from friend close friend, best best friend, best best friend as a scale system of described being relationships to a modern Western scale system, which is romantic or platonic. And in the Western world, you're either in a romantic relationship or platonic relationship. And even if just two men are standing too close together are being too friendly, they'll say that's so gay, which is such a derisive way of taking away any intimacy from relationships that should have space for intimacy. And I often think about, like when I go to Hasidic weddings, I find myself stepping away from people who are standing very close to me and creating a lot more body space than they do, Like you're standing so close to me, it's almost gonna kiss me, and it's like you're in my I can smell you. And I was once so used to this, it was normal, and it's it's an intimacy. It's a beautiful blotonic I think mostly intimacy, but.
Speaker 5: The idea that this is this kind of physical intimacy is something. There is a very interesting character. I don't know if you ever heard of him, Jerry Langer. He was a friend of Kafka, and he was gay, and he basically we're talking about the early twentieth century, and he became a husted. He moved to bells, and he talked about that intimate This is exactly what you're talking about. He said, I'm in the study hole and I'm talking to a man and he starts pounding me on the chest because he disagrees with me. And then he puts his finger in my face and then he's like and I and we're all of this is just totally normal in this study hole. And this was so appealing to him. In other words, he preferred to be I call this is what I call when I call homosocial. I'm trying to describe something that's in between a sexual relationship and a platonic relationship, which is these intense and they're almost always same sex. But you don't do this across the sexual boundary. I mean in the Bay Area you do, but in religious societies. And I have to say I was very freaked out at heterosexual hugging when I first became secular.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you had that same feeling or all hugging. I wasn't like.
Speaker 5: There were just things that I just couldn't get used to, but the physical intimacy with members of your own sex, which you could see. I mean, look at you know, just google Hasida then you'll see it.
Speaker 3: It's right there, It's right obvious.
Speaker 5: And that kind of bodily proximity which is also spiritual. Right, These are like intensively effective spaces. You love the ta, you love the rebel, you love the rebba with someone you know how, like doing something thing with someone that you with a friend. Even this this is like what we have a project together. There's something about looking at the world as a team that's so much more satisfying that looking into each other's eyes. Like being on a date, this idea that being on a date is the ideal thing, when actually being on a date is a little bit of a drag.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think. I mean, I haven't got the dates in my life.
Speaker 5: I don't know what a date is because I'm so I'm so not wanted to be part of the sexual culture of modernity.
Speaker 3: I mean back to me and my own personal investment in this.
Speaker 5: But the you know, the and why it is that these this kind of intimacy is so much easier to produce in same sex sexually segregated societies, and people think of sexually segregated societies means there's no sex. It just arranges sex differently. And sometimes there are sets as we know, you know, and those are same. They're like prisons and you know, the army and you know, that kind of intense, intensely lived communal life, and they're not so much about the couple. It's always about the couple and everyone around them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I you know, I love this conversation. It's making me a little bit sad that I am so for lack of a better word, indoctrinated into the culture of romance, because I feel like it's in my subconscious that romance is so so primary and important. And I sometimes talk about this on my tours. I talk about the absence of romance and the absence of Barbie and Ken in this world, and I think about how powerful these messages are that once you've been exposed to them, they're there in the back of your mind and they become like the defining worldview, because it's like the lollipop of all a culture can offers to offer this this romantic fantasy, even though it's not practical, and like you said, a lot of people end up deeply frustrated going from day to date not finding it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I mean you talked about Barbie and Ken.
Speaker 5: It's all based on a kind of weird set of gender norms. Who makes the first move and what constitutes like erotic attraction and who's supposed to be more into who, And that's another price that we pay for joining this great sex religion that Ian what talks about. And also just didn't do that stuff that well, like we weren't such great Kens, and we weren't such great Barbeys.
Speaker 3: It's Barbie and Ken.
Speaker 5: Were invented by a Jewish woman. But the the gender roles that go along with this romantic idea are also a drag. And I mean, one of the ways that I understand Yental is that she wants to be with a man. She just doesn't want to be a woman with the man, which is something I can totally relate to, Like, I just don't want to be that thing that that that a female beloved.
Speaker 3: Is supposed to be one thing. I chased my partner for six months before we went out, like I you know, I just I don't and I got him.
Speaker 5: The great gender roles are also the gender roles don't fit like Jews had different gender roles and when they you know, and when mental Amoucher's farm said, I can't write a novel because I've never I've never fought a duel, and I've never been to a ball It's like he was a Yeshiva boy.
Speaker 3: That's what he knew how to do.
Speaker 5: And often it was the it was the girl singing love songs about the Yeshiva back room. It was the girls that were singing Yiddish love ballads, not the boys. And for them it was like what kind of boy do I want? And you know and singing it with other girls, so the you know who. It's one of the reasons that the great you know in the Yiddish in the Yiddish film industry, instead of having a beautiful woman as the great star, it was Molly.
Speaker 3: Pecan, who basically dressed like a boy.
Speaker 5: She was a cross dresser like me, and that was who they thought was like the greatest film actress, and she was constantly playing cross dressing roles. So it was like, yes, Jews wanted these romances, and they wanted to read romances, and they wanted to fall in love, and they wanted to have those peak erotic experiences. But they also were like, I gotta pretend I'm this kind of man. I gotta pretend I'm this kind of woman. I gotta pretend I don't care what my parents think. Like that's why they're producing these this literature that basically charts everything that's wrong with the romance novel. I mean, if we're still allowed to cite Woody Allen, like Love and Death, it was just he has this film that's, you know, kind of a takeoff on a Russian novel, but it's so over the top that you just have to laugh at the lovers, like, oh, I love your eyeballs, you know, like that kind of thing. Like they recognize these as artificial because they don't have that Christian prehistory, because they're just thrown into romance suddenly.
Speaker 3: Like we were.
Speaker 1: Very interesting, you know, if we're allowed to cite Woody Allen. Woody Allen was actually one of the first films I watched, really, which one Annie Hall oh.
Speaker 3: Anny Hall on a date with the Hussin.
Speaker 6: Oh right, you yeah, next to someone who had taken his hat off to when we walked into the movie theater.
Speaker 2: Wow, at the tack of a story. I wonder how he felt.
Speaker 3: If we just looked at each other like.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's let's take some questions.
Speaker 3: There are people there. I can't see anybody.
Speaker 2: Yes, there are people in the comments.
Speaker 1: I see them, my friend, I don't know how you know, you don't see it on riverside.
Speaker 3: You have to you. I trust you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I have multiple tabs open, but I'm looking only at you.
Speaker 2: I'm not so great at this.
Speaker 4: I just like the idea of you're amazing.
Speaker 1: I like the idea of doing it, like like of taking people's like questions. But I'm very one channel person, so I'm focusing on you. But my friend is saying, I'd love to hear more on the difference in intimacy are a male spaces versus female spaces. Female circles have the same allowances or outlets as male circles tend to have, especially so with physicality.
Speaker 3: What was the last part? I didn't quite get that.
Speaker 1: She says female circles have the same allowances or outlets as male circles tend to have, especially so with physicality.
Speaker 2: Is that truely?
Speaker 4: Is that Hobby Weisberger no different?
Speaker 5: Ka?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, like six covies too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So thanks Kavy. So one of the things that I wrote in the book. Is that actually the I thought that until. I mean, there were certainly women's spaces, the women's section, the sewing circles, there's these women singing Yiddish love ballads together. I mean, there's intense, you know, definite form, and maybe women go to the mikvah cemetery rituals.
Speaker 3: There certainly are.
Speaker 5: But the kinds of communal spaces at like a hacidic court is where yeshiva are really were.
Speaker 3: Developed for women. I think in the inter war period.
Speaker 5: I think partly because the Orthodox world subconsciously understood that it was one of the ways to keep Orthodoxy alive for girls in particular, was to create more intense, sort of formal spaces for these kinds of communal eroticism, if you want to call it that. And you know, I'm thinking about Beisiyakov and these all night hikes where they build a fire and they dance around the fire for freedom. You translated that description.
Speaker 3: For me so many years. I don't remember that. So it was an attempt to mind that particular.
Speaker 5: You know, you're not going to give I mean, they'll find it at the places, for sure. You're not going to give girls in that particular lollipoppe. It's too dangerous to let them choose their own mates, you know, you let them choose from among the Yeshiva Baker population. Next thing, you know, they're reading novels and they fall in love with a soldier or something, a.
Speaker 3: Knight in shining armor.
Speaker 5: So I think they needed to create the They needed to create more spaces for women to keep them physically attached to each other. And there's no doubt that this physicality. When I was I read descriptions of how Basiyakov in the early years the girls slept to to a.
Speaker 3: Bed and.
Speaker 5: As opposed to like, oh, that's so sad they didn't have their own bed. I think that was part of the attraction of Basiyakov, you know, what made it a kind of charismatic, a way for the Orthodox world to find a substitute for, you know, the lures of the film industry, Hollywood.
Speaker 3: The modern novel.
Speaker 1: Very interesting, Nolan Frank says, can no me discuss the patrilineal versus matrilineal descent in Judaism.
Speaker 3: You know, I've always wanted to know more about that.
Speaker 5: I think it's very interesting because in the Bible it's very clearly patrilineal right, so the patriarchs in the Bible, Abraham, I mean they there's no worry about them marrying.
Speaker 3: Non Jewish women.
Speaker 5: And the idea that Judaism is carried on through the maternal line seems to be a product of the of the Ribbonic period. And you know, people usually say, well, you know who the mother is, and you may not know who the father is.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I mean, I I that seems too weird and suspicious. This is a very long way of saying no, yeah, I'm sorry. As soon as we get off, I'm gonna ask chat GPT, don't use chat GVT.
Speaker 4: Don't use chat GPT.
Speaker 2: No, it's a it's a very I mean.
Speaker 3: What else in the chat knows better than I do?
Speaker 4: Yeah? No, I appreciate that answer.
Speaker 2: Let me move on.
Speaker 1: Lisa says, such a fascinating discussion. Older German Jewish writers such as See schach Knowitz and Marcus Lehmann did include romance in their novels. Modern Orthodox Jewish literature is more sanitized.
Speaker 5: Yes, so it's very interesting that this is somebody who knows a lot.
Speaker 3: I don't know who was.
Speaker 4: It that said asked that question Lisa.
Speaker 3: So Lisa right on for knowing.
Speaker 5: That that's actually part of my Basiaco history, because you know, there was this crisis of girls leaving Orthodoxy, and there was this Rabbinic conference, and then there were other Beenic conferences, and at the first for Benic conference to talk about this, someone said, the problem is that Jewish girls are reading European, the Polish and German novels, and we Orthodox choose have to produce our own romances. And someone said, you know, the Germans are in Eastern Europe. This is an Eastern European Jewish conference. They say, you know in Germany they're doing that, right, Marcus Lehmann has written all these novels. What we have to do is translate these novels into Yiddish and try to feed them to our girls.
Speaker 3: Because yes they had romance.
Speaker 5: No they don't have intermarriage, and there's no you know, soldiers, so or you know, whatever it is that we want to guard against. So these novels were translated into Yiddish for Orthodox Jewish girls in Poland and it was a kind of stopgap measure. And now people just like keep their fingers crossed and hope for the best, and they don't try that particular trick, right think.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: One thing that always interests me is that I do think that these erotic same sex relationships provide the same kind of intimacy, belonging, and satisfaction thrill in similar flavor as romantic relationships. But Judaism is so against same sex male relationships, so that sounds like a contradiction in terms that these same sex relationships should be more emphasized. I've spoken to Amish people where the Amish people of opposite sexes have a lot of interactions and are expected to meet and fall in love or whatever get into serious relationships, and a part of that setup is an anxiety about not channeling young hormones towards the same sex.
Speaker 5: So it's true that, you know, there's an absolute prohibition.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's true that it's I mean, there are.
Speaker 5: People arguing against that, that it's not an absolute doubt. Stephen Greenberg has a book Wrestling with God and Men or Orthodox Gay you know, rabbi, but who I think his husband is Steve Goldberg, which is kind of funny. But on the other hand, I mean, one of the things that I would say is that the notion that eroticism is is an on off button, like you're either having sex or you're not having sex. Like you said, it's a sexual as opposed to a spectrum of desires that can get satisfied in all kinds of ways, including with your clothes on.
Speaker 3: That those.
Speaker 5: The secular world does, the whoever wants to have sex with whoever, go right ahead, They do that better the Orthodox world does. Let us provide a kind of framework for intense and I would argue, kind of at least somewhat eroticized relationships, same sex relationships that the secondar world could only dream of. I mean that basically, a Hasidic court is a gay bar, you know, open every.
Speaker 3: Day all day.
Speaker 5: Okay, you're not supposed to actually have sex with all these people, but what you're doing with them can be so intensely satisfying. I understand that a gay man in Prague, by the way, he moved back to Prague, and he walked around Prague in full Hasidic regalia and wouldn't touch his parents' food. So I understand how he would something was satisfied for him living in the Passidic court, and he didn't say he had a.
Speaker 3: Lover there, but in some way he had lovers there.
Speaker 5: And there's something about that speceum that I think needs to be brought to the surface. The let's call it, an erotic spectrum that somehow the modern world, the European idea of romance, has has lost track of.
Speaker 1: We're about to wrap up, so I'm going to take last questions. I find what you're saying especially interesting as I think about the question I often get about the Sech community. In fact, people have asked it of Pearl very often. You know Pearl, who I've had on my channel multiple times, not your friend Pearl, the other Pearl. We know Pearls, we know David's, we know hobbies, we know we know a lot of Jewish people.
Speaker 2: But people ask of Pearl often.
Speaker 1: They'll leave a comments and say, what does Pearl say to gay people in her community?
Speaker 2: And I've asked Pearl and she said.
Speaker 1: Nah, that's like, that's not my thing to talk about.
Speaker 2: I'm wondering if you would have an answer.
Speaker 1: That might be interesting about what happens in this kind of world, in the Jewish world, and not necessarily today, but in the context of your research.
Speaker 5: Could be a prohibition against homosexuality without a certain kind of homophobia. In other words, it's a prohibition against eating selfish. You're not gonna talk to someone who ate some shelfish. I mean, you'd be kind of It's a sin, like, it's not something that turns you into a kind of person that encompasses everything that you are, right, like an identity. It's not an identity. It's a sin. If you did a sin, you shouldn't have done a sin.
Speaker 3: It doesn't mean you are a certain kind of person.
Speaker 5: I mean, obviously we know this is a particular kind of sin that this closely tied to, you know, a deep part of who you are.
Speaker 3: And you know the Orthodox world n has seenum.
Speaker 5: But I mean it's kind of weird that it could be viewed as a sin without that sin also be treated through a kind of panic and homophobia, which is evident in the secular world. Right, people aren't freaking out about who's gay. You're not like suspected of being gay, Like, okay, you know you're.
Speaker 3: Gay, shouldn't have done that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, And you can be gay and sort of gay sometimes in Yeshima, right, what do they call like lesbian until graduation?
Speaker 6: Really you know, gay until marriage, gay until marriage, it is.
Speaker 5: It's a whole different way of understanding what gayness is. And in some ways it's it's yes, it's a sin and that's awful, But in other ways it's a kind of like you're living in a world that isn't actually it never occurred to anyone that you're gay, Like, why wouldn't they think of that.
Speaker 3: It's not a big part of how they think about people.
Speaker 5: I mean, I've seen it in my own experience. I think I told you about. You know this guy who came to when I was sitting Shiva. He's sitting in the women's section and he has eye linerer on and I go to my sister, who's that And she says, Oh, that's whatever, some guy in the neighborhood. And then he's like, you're inter said him me single. I'm like, yeah, of course he's single. Like just no gaydar, very little gaydar, so fun heaes in the rest of the world, it's like she gay, yeah, And it's almost it's a relief not to live with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know my story of my Birthright trip and the Gatar No did I tell you? When I went on Birthright, I was like fresh off the boat from the Sidshure world, and I was trying to integrate myself and to have a good time, but I was really still feeling very much like an outsider. I wasn't culturally adapted, and I was a young mother, and I was very in that frame of mind. And all the other Birthright Trip artists we're young people who hadn't even settled down yet. So we're somewhere out not central Israel. The first night and everyone is sitting around in this rickety motel in like a dining room that's cleaned away at night, and they're sitting on chairs and they're talking about a gaitar and someone says, I.
Speaker 2: Have a great gatar.
Speaker 1: Eric is gay, and I'm like, the yent in me is like super excited, like what's going on?
Speaker 2: Who's Eric?
Speaker 1: And so they explained to me that a gadar is when you can read who's gay. And Eric is on our trip and he is definitely gay. So my frame of reference is completely different from theirs. My frame of references, Oh my god, this person is gay. Must be They're not accepted who they are, must be. Their life is so hard. I feel so bad. I'm projecting all of my own senses of not being accepted did for being different, And I befriend Eric for the trip, and I am super machar of Eric. I sit next to Eric, and Eric is super socially awkward, so I'm like really trying to make.
Speaker 2: Sure Eric is not lonely.
Speaker 1: And then at some point I'm sitting with Eric on the bus and his hand creeps into mine and he's holding my hand, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, absolutely shot.
Speaker 6: Shot.
Speaker 1: I had zero attraction to Eric. I had no interest in Eric. I was told that Eric is gay, but Eric was clearly not gay. And I'm in the elevator going up to the room and the woman who had told me that Eric is gay says, so you and Eric, huh.
Speaker 5: Gay is kind of like a weird catchule, right, It's like yeah, it's like you know.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, people think I'm gay. Yeah, it's like it's I'm queer or whatever.
Speaker 2: It's a box. I mean, you can't be gay, know me, if you're married to a man, I'm not gay.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Let's like we have a whole conversation about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, let's let's do Eric on the chat.
Speaker 2: Eric is not.
Speaker 1: Changed the name his name isn't actually Eric.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, don't worry.
Speaker 2: But anyway, nice person.
Speaker 1: But you know, there was a total cultural misunderstanding because this tendency to put people into boxes of gay, straight, et cetera. Is such a secular thing, and in the process of me trying to adapt to it, I then ended up being extremely warm towards someone who took it as sexual overtures or romantic interest, which it wasn't at all what I had meant to communicate. And it's again coming from a world where relationships are so differently categorized.
Speaker 5: Where everyone's kind of a little gay everyone.
Speaker 1: Everyone can be very intimate physically if it's the same sex.
Speaker 3: It turns out like straight people like that too. Yeah, poor people that we would call straight.
Speaker 1: Okay, let me let me take last questions and then we wrap up. I really enjoyed talking about this. We were going to talk about marrying Jews or non Jews, but we're leaving that. Okay, Barry says, I am a gay Orthodox Jew. It's been an internal conflict for years, which for me is best addressed by celibacy. Not my choice, but I don't know of any other way too. I can't see what one word told something like I can't think of any other way to do it.
Speaker 3: Poor Barry. Yeah, well, sorry, Barry.
Speaker 5: I wonder if I wonder this is a crazy idea, but maybe that maybe the solution is not leaving Orthodoxy but becoming more Orthodox, Like maybe you're modern Orthodox, which means that you've basically moved into a bourgeois form of Orthodoxy, which has all the problems of modernity in terms of reduction of community to the nuclear family. The lack of space is a physical intimacy for homosocial spaces of physical intimacy.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: If you're now modern Orthodox, but then you're screwed. I'm sorry, that's the wrong word choice. But from both directions, right, it's like the Orthodox prohibition against homosexual sex plus the modern Orthodox lack of these intense homosocial spaces, so you don't even get the intimacy part of it. I don't know why, just the fact that your name is Barry. Maybe you know, like if it was Beryl.
Speaker 3: Then it's awful. It shouldn't It shouldn't be the case.
Speaker 5: I mean, the one thing is that I think the Orthodox, the modern Orthodox world is changing Stephen Greenberg, modern Orthodox rabbi married to a man.
Speaker 1: Also, I think, Knowmi, this is a particular challenge for me, and I'm supposing for you. It is very hard to hear people say that celibacy is a solution for them. I think about nuns all the time. I'm fascinated by nuns because a part of me is so sad about celibacy being a solution. But the truth is that if we respect that people know what they want and what is giving them meaning, then celibacy should be an option for people that we don't like.
Speaker 5: And you can sometimes mean eroticism. Sorry, I can't tell you a quick story. Yeah. So when I taught for many years at a divinity school and a lot of my colleagues are nuns. They actually don't call themselves nuns, their sisters religious. And I was once at a birthday party for a.
Speaker 3: Nun and I was the only person there that wasn't a nun.
Speaker 5: And they were talking about a friend of theirs who had joined a monastery, and they were talking about how fancy the monastery was, and then one of them said, you know, and that he had taken a vow of poverty and now suddenly he.
Speaker 3: Was rich because he lived in this incredibly fancy monastery.
Speaker 5: They are gossiping about some dude they knew, and one of them says, if that's poverty, give me chastity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I was.
Speaker 5: Like, wow, Wow, I'm glad to be on the inside of this conversation.
Speaker 3: But I'm not one hundred percent sure I know what I'm marrying.
Speaker 5: So they were joking about chastity and what to make of that? Who knows except that I would say that our understanding of testy, what does that mean?
Speaker 3: No masturbation, no physical intimacy at all with another human being.
Speaker 4: So different.
Speaker 5: And also there are just people who, you know, lack the desire a sexual or a romantic And we now understand that the spectrum of sexuality is huge, and maybe it encompasses something like a what could be called a satisfying celvacy. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also I think sexual desire unfulfilled can be quite an electrifying feeling. And in our society where sex is so casual, I think it has removed some of its intensity.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean sex has this odd form, which is that it's most exciting before it's fulfilled, exactly. And if you write and if you prolong that excitement, then the you know, this is I guess the principle behind tent to sex sex.
Speaker 3: But you're actually like moving against you know, the.
Speaker 5: Great sexual experience by getting too fast to the you know zero.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very interesting.
Speaker 1: And then people go and get married in city hall and they make it all so banal and and no, I'm just I'm really being tongue in cheek.
Speaker 3: I'm not get write about it. And that could be satisfying too.
Speaker 4: That's true. That's true.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, Nomi. Last question and then I let you go. Have you ever had a black and white cookie?
Speaker 5: I only like the white part of the black and white cook really, I.
Speaker 3: Know it's perfect because everybody else likes the the black. I mean not to be too you know, white nationalist.
Speaker 4: Or you know, do apologize.
Speaker 3: And usually the white part is a little bit smaller than the black part.
Speaker 2: Do you notice, No I have not?
Speaker 3: Well, I have because I'm the white part.
Speaker 4: That's very funny.
Speaker 1: All right, next we meet, I'll split a black and white cookie with you.
Speaker 3: I'll have the podcast. I'll look for one where the two sides or.
Speaker 1: Even okay for sure for you, Okay, I'm gonna link your book in the video description. Thank you so much for this extremely fun and satisfying conversation.
Speaker 3: It was the blast.
Speaker 4: Yeah you same, Thank you everyone. Also, who is