Speaker 1: It's Night nine with Dan Ray. I tell you Feasy Boston's new radio pro.
Speaker 2: Lea's get back to the call. He's going to go back to Connor and Hingham if you'd like to join us six one, seven, two four to ten thirty six month seven nine three one ten thirty. Connor is making the point that he thinks the most important presidential election was twenty twelve, when Mitt Romney lost to Barack Obama. Couple of interesting things about the twenty twelve presidential election. If you're still there, Connor, I don't know if you've looked up the numbers lately, but Barack Obama became only the second US president to win fewer electoral votes in his reelection than he won in its previous election. In two thousand and eight, President Obama, then candidate Obama won nearly seventy million votes. He had he had sixty nine million, four ninety eight, so sixty nine and a half million. John McCain had just shy of sixty million, So he really thumped John McCain by ten million votes. And the electoral votes he won two to one three sixty five to one, seventy three, So McCain was not did not turn out to be a strong candidate in terms of the two thousand and eight election. Go fast forward to twenty twelve and Barack Obama had about four and a half million fewer votes fewer votes. In twenty and twelve, Mitt Romney only grew the Republican vote total by a million. So Romney lost three point thirty two to two oh six. And of course, four years later, Donald Trump won with whatever it was, I think, three hundred and six electoral votes. So the pub you know, the Democrats did a pretty good job rough and me up. Remember they talked about how that he had been involved in some takeover a company in Indiana and they fired employees. And Romney never carried Indiana, which was a had traditionally been a Republican state by the way, for many many years. Excriite that he did carry Indiana, that's my mistake, but I think that those ads hurt him in other states and Romney. Romney just didn't grow the Republican vote. Conversely, Donald Trump moved from there was sixty one million people that voted for Romney. Donald Trump, he only had sixty s well sixty three million, so he grew the vote by about two million, but it was enough to get those three hundred and four electoral votes that he needed to win. So, you know whatever, you know, that Republican brand of the Romney had the Republican brand of modern Republicans they had They had lost twice with McCain and Romney. I think that's why the Republicans decided to go a little a little rolled with Donald Trump in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just to be clear, I should have clarified earlier. I don't think twenty twelve was, you know, the most important election of all time. I should have said in you know, recent you know, past thirty years or so.
Speaker 2: Sure, Yeah, so what do you think? What are you thinking about doing in this election? You you have? This is also an interesting election. Obviously you have a former president now against the current Vice president. Joe Biden has left the stage. I mean, it's it's it's really interesting. You're in Massachusetts, so you know, I can tell you right now that Vice President Harris will carry Massachusetts. So I'm just curious what are you likely to do with November.
Speaker 3: I'm not positive yet. There were so many Republicans in the primary that I was really excited about. I think the Republican Party has a really deep bench of very electrical candidates who would do fantastic in a general election. I think would make really great presidents. Marco Rubio, Tim Scott, Nicky Haley, Chris Christy, Mike Pence. I mean, there's so many people. Before Trump clinched the nomination, I was really excited about. But the question is could the country survive, you know, another four years of the failed Biden policies. I mean, he's a he's a stable figure at least, you know, he doesn't buy his rhetica actions. I don't think he. I think he's you know, a lot more levelheaded than Trump and at Biden.
Speaker 2: Biden's no longer run the ballot, so you can't vote.
Speaker 3: No, No, I know, I'm just speaking of Kamala as an extension, you know, this administration, because I don't imagine that there would be any really large departure in policy.
Speaker 2: But no, she wants to raise corporate income taxes, corporate taxes from twenty one percent to twenty eight percent. That'll have an impact. She also be awful, Yeah, seems to have changed attitude on a number of issues. You know, she was She contributed to the bail fund, the Minnesota bail fund. And now she's saying she's much more pro police. I mean, she's she's good. She's gonna have some explainer to do when she starts to do a few news conferences and interviews.
Speaker 3: Right, absolutely, Yeah, I would not have high expectations for how well she would govern. I would disagree with the large majority of for policies.
Speaker 2: So really, the last, how old are you? If I could ask?
Speaker 4: You?
Speaker 2: Sound like you're fairly.
Speaker 3: Young, not too young. Twenty nine, twenty nine, that's pretty young, so I guess it's all relative.
Speaker 2: No, but twenty nine, so therefore you were only what twelve? When I'm trying to figure out the numbers here? You were born in you were born in nineteen.
Speaker 3: Ninety five, ninety four, ninety four.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you were born in late ninety four, and so therefore in twenty twelve, you were just turning eighteen. Did you vote in that election? I assume you did if you had turned eighteen over.
Speaker 3: I missed it by my birthday was like two weeks after.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, yeah, we've established it real late. Okay, So have you voted for a Democratic president?
Speaker 3: I have? Unfortunately I never wanted to be in that position, but I did last time.
Speaker 2: So you voted for Joe Biden?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I voted for Gary Johnson before that.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, you know Gary Jhnsen was a Republican governor before he became a libertarian. M So, did you vote for Biden or against Trump?
Speaker 3: Against Trump?
Speaker 2: Against Trump? Has your feeling and attitude changed towards Trump?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: I I would not say. Maybe it's it's a little worse. I mean, are you going to you? I think he governed the country really well. I think he was a really you know in the traditional regards. I think he was fantastic with the economy. I think he was great with foreign military affairs. I didn't necessarily always like how he treated some of our allies, but I think sometimes they needed a kick in the butt. So, you know, for a few years, you know, for for a four year term. I don't think it's always that bad once in a while to have a president who might apply a little bit more pressure like that.
Speaker 2: But you're not going to vote for Trump this year? It sounds to me because if if you feel the same way to it's Trump, why would you vote for him in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't see myself as a Trump voter this cycle.
Speaker 2: So you were either going to vote for Harris or blank blank that particular portion.
Speaker 3: Of the ballot, I might write someone in. That's what I'm thinking at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the same thing as blanking. So you could write in anyone you want.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no, I swing could be different. What I'm sorry?
Speaker 2: What was that I said you could write in Mitt Romney?
Speaker 3: I yeah, I could. Yeah, he would. I still think he would be a great president. I mean, I'm I think I'm more conservative than him. There's other Republicans that I think would be even better. But yeah, I think I think that was a big missed opportunity. A lot of the problems we've been having the last ten plus years I don't think we would be dealing with. I think the country would be in a much better place had he won. Yeah, well, but I agree with what you're when you're talking about earlier how he didn't grow the base. I don't think he's a very good politician. I think he's a good leader, and then contrasts that with someone like Obama, who is an amazing politician, just not a good leader.
Speaker 2: Interesting analysis, Connor, you got to call the show more often. You're you're a great caller, and I appreciate the analysis. And uh, if all of a sudden you swing back to Trump, I want to I want to hear it because I think that you are right now where a lot of people are that they're disenchanted with Trump. He's done nothing in the last couple of weeks after the assassination attempt. Did you have any different feelings towards Trump during that that brief period of when you know, he he he you know, he survived the assassination attempt.
Speaker 4: I did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I kind of thought he might have a come to Jesus moment. I thought his countenance and I know I'm not the only person to steal this way. It looked like he was carrying himself differently, and got kind of excited that he was talking about being a more unifying figure, and I, you know, I thought, maybe this could be.
Speaker 2: Why do you think you can't bring himself to do like? Why do you think he cannot fit? He cannot mentally psychologically bring himself to do that.
Speaker 4: I don't. It's unbelieve.
Speaker 3: It's unbelievable he as successful as he was as president, you know, with the economy, military, this stuff we talked about before he if he had a different personality, I feel like he could have carried like forty states.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: It's I feel like this is not a big ask.
Speaker 2: Well, do do me a favorite. Just keep me posted because I think that I think I think you will not you will not vote for either Harris or Trump. But if you change your mind, I want you to be one of my weather vane voters.
Speaker 3: Okay, absolutely, Dan, it was great talking to you.
Speaker 2: Enjoyed talking to you. Well, what are you doing for for work? Now you're twenty nine years old? How how's how's your economy doing.
Speaker 3: I've just begun I've had some major strides as a freelance animator, and I just started to break into writing. I made some big, big connections with people at the Simpsons and Family Guy, and some people expressed interested in Yeah, it was really cool. A big executive producer expressed interest in actually like producing a pilot proposal. So I was just working that I had come up with.
Speaker 2: So keep you posted on your career. Where'd you go to school to learn that? What school did you go to?
Speaker 3: Leslie University, Wesleyan or did you say Wesley down Connecticut, Leslie Well, Leslie.
Speaker 2: Leslie up in Boston. Okay, great, another great school. Keep me posted. You're going to have a great career, trust me on that.
Speaker 3: Thanks Dan, I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: I kind of talked to you soon. Twenty nine year old Nights I caller, we love it. Six one, seven, triple eight, nine, ten thirty. Did the Democrats dis President Biden last night? Philip Burns Philip Bump, who's a columnist for the Washington Post, Sure thinks so, and I do as well. Keeping him off the stage until nine until eleven thirty East Coast time. I think that was an extraordinary decision for some observers rooted in the conventions of conventions, in the pattern of politics, Biden taking the stage eleven thirty was a slight, an intentional sidelining of a president the party was eager to discard. And I think that showed clearly last night. And I'd love to know what you think. We're coming back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Bright We're talking politics. I mean, there's really nothing else that is a great news value this week in my opinion, So we will continue, and I hope you'll join us. I'd love to hear from some truly undecided voters, or if you decided, tell us why Mike and Beverly Mike next on Nightside Welcome.
Speaker 5: Hey, damn Mike and the How are you can hear me?
Speaker 2: I can hear you just fine. You're right ahead, Mike.
Speaker 5: So, as you know, I'm a Trump supporter and I have been listening. Dan. You know I don't understand, but you can know better than me. Has you ever met a time when the situation we're going through where a VP has going for the presidency, like the situation is going through now because she talks all this sort of stuff, But she can know that right now. And I don't think the people know that that the Democrats are and the parents know that all the stuff she talks about, she can do it right this minute. She can do it now. We'll have to wait to election. She can do now. And I don't think they they they grasped that point.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what I well, I think you make an interesting point. I will tell you that George Bush in nineteen eighty eight was a vice president who had won the nomination, and he was running against Mike docaccas. You had Al Gore in nineteen in two thousand, who ran against George Bush, he was a vice president. Neither one of them won. You have now Joe Biden didn't run in twenty and sixteen. Some people believe that President Obama made it clear that he would have preferred to see Hillary.
Speaker 4: Run, and that, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think my position would be on Kamal Harris is her comments, for example, no taxes on tips. Now that was clearly Donald Trump's idea months ago. However, however, he has a good point there. He can just say, well, look, you were vice president for three and a half years, how come you never express that and to the best of my and she didn't express it. So and she has some changes in her, uh you know, in her in her votes.
Speaker 5: I mean she is quickly we're coming off there not could be no, they're hiding her. There's not can be no press conference or any press relations with her at all. There's going to be once it's September tenth, and that's going to be it.
Speaker 2: You want.
Speaker 5: They will not hire They're going to hide her.
Speaker 2: Dad, you know, here's the thing. I think that they had the ability to hide Joe Biden in twenty twenty because of his age and because of COVID. I don't think that she will survive and win as a candidate using that strategy. I think it's a different time and it's a different question.
Speaker 5: Yeah, how can you do this now with no policy? Her website is blank, send me money, but there's no policy on her website zero.
Speaker 2: Well, part of that, part of it is that the Democrats really Donald Trump. Democrat do not like Donald Trump, and uh and you know they they they talk much more about the need to defeat Donald Trump than necessarily the need to elect Kamala Harris vice president Harris. Although obviously if they defeat Donald Trump, they will elect a vice president vice president Harris. So you know, don't don't get upset about it. Continue to listen to Nights Out and continue to express your opinions.
Speaker 5: I get it. It's just it's common sense, So bun, I don't know, it's just that we are probably good part of common sense. And if you listen to Bernie Savis and I he wants the everything away, like I don't understand it, Like I so I want to work for free. Think of all my tax moneys away and I get nothing back, and it's just it's well, I think.
Speaker 2: I think, I think that I think that you should be a speech writer for Donald Trump, or you should be an issues advisor for Donald Trump, because I'm serious, it's the issues that he needs to start talking and it has to stop. I listened to him. I guess it was yesterday and he just went on and on, or maybe it was today. He was in Michigan today and there were a couple of police officers standing behind him, and he just kept repeating himself and going on and how this and that. I'm listening to Hie, I'm say the mess. I can hear people's minds clicking off, saying we don't need to listen to that, over and over and over again. He's finally getting away from revisiting the grievance of twenty twenty. I feel like I'm watching Seinfeld or something like that. It's what the word going ads means. You don't have to get You know, you were pretty good when you were saying medical stuff. But yeah, let's just leave it at that. Look, the bottom line is you may love him Mike, okay, because of exactly that. He says what he means, and he means what he says, and he keeps saying the same darn thing. But there's a lot of people that's going to be turned off by that. Mike, trust me on that his campaign has lost momentum in the last three weeks. Uh, and I do not see them picking any any momentum up right now. So that's I'm just telling you. I'm looking at the horse race. Do you feel better about Trump's campaign? Let me ask you this, Do you feel better about your candidate's campaign today than you did three weeks ago?
Speaker 5: I think I think there's more for the Democratic because they're hiding her so much and then and uh, you know, it's just shadowing her around, and there's there's a big.
Speaker 2: Your guy, your guy is not is not bringing it to the table. He's not talking about issues, and until he starts talking about issues, he's gonna he's bleeding voters in my opinion. That's I know that's not what you want to hear, But I'm telling you what I believe to be the truth. That's all.
Speaker 5: Okay, I get it, I get it, I calling.
Speaker 2: Keep calling, Okay, that's I have a good one six one eight ten thirty or six one seven nine three one ten thirty. I don't mean to throw a lot of numbers at you, but let's talk. Let's talk this race. I don't care which side of the idol you're on here, let's talk about it. And you can be a Trump person and criticize Trump, or you can be a Harris person and criticized Trump. You can be a Trump person criticize Harris. That's whatever you want to do. But all you could be undecided, and I I will do a quick examination of you, and I will tell you who you will vote for. I can predict that who you will vote for in November if you're truly undecided. And if I'm wrong, I want you to call me back on November fifth or November sixth, then tell me I was wrong.
Speaker 1: It's nice side with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: So I'm inviting people who were undecided to join the conversation. But I know that my friend Laurie and Idaho is not undecided, at least in my last check. Laurie and Idaho welcome, How are you?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: That was a good call.
Speaker 6: No, I'm actually calling because I agree with you about the way Biden was treated the other night, and I think that's the way he's been treated, at least publicly a little bit since the end of July. And I just thought that was absolutely disrespectful. And I mean, you know, well, let.
Speaker 2: Me play a sound by which I think is interesting, and this is Chris Wallace of CNN, and I want you wait to react what Chris Wallace said. Okay, CNN. No, Chris Wallace used to be with Fox. But Chris, I think was right on the money here this is and I think you'll agree with him. Got eighteen please Rob Chris Wallace last night talking about the feeling inside the United Center in Chicago.
Speaker 7: The word that everybody is using to describe tonight as bittersweet, just bitter. The fact of the matter, I'm not saying Joe Biden is bitter, but you know, it's like you've been thrown out a window and as you're falling, you go, gee, it's nice out here. No, he got thrown out of window and basically he was forced. You know, there's gonna be a lot of talk tonight about how generous it was of him too, and selfless of him. He was basically forced out by Nancy Pelosi and Barack Obama and Chuck Schumer and jakeem Jefferies, and I suspect even the fact that there has been this surge of enthusiasm since he left and Kamala Harris took his place. That's got to be pretty tough too. You've got thrown out of a window and everybody's applauding the person who's now in the room.
Speaker 2: And Jake Tapper, also, I think, is on the same page. This was a conversation tapperhead last night on seeing it with Nancy Pelosi, and I really want you to react to this. Here's his fancy Nancy Pelosi with Jack Jake Tapper last night. Team Please Rob, it does seem like there's some residual back blood or resentment. And I'm wondering if you've.
Speaker 8: Spoken to him and and and what your response is to that. Sometimes you just have to take a punch for the children.
Speaker 2: And that's what you're doing right now. You're just gonna take the punch for the children.
Speaker 5: Who's right now?
Speaker 1: I don't know, I.
Speaker 2: Interview with me.
Speaker 7: Maybe he's showing the punch.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm not I wouldn't ever, But she doesn't want to fight.
Speaker 8: Nobody wants to have to fight with Nancy Pelosi at this time. You know what I have to do. He made the decision for the country. My concern is not about the president was about his campaign.
Speaker 2: That's a that's a difference without a distinction.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, wouldn't you love to.
Speaker 2: Be on a lifeboat with her with just a one life preserver?
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 6: I was a lifeguard for ten years and I know how to do it, so sure anytime.
Speaker 2: No, I mean really, oh my gosh, no, wonder they're not talking And what difference does it make at this point anyway?
Speaker 6: But yeah, no, it doesn't. And I just when you look back, that's the same treatment that he's gotten since. I mean, I heard somewhere I don't even know where it was, that since with that end of July weekend where you know, someone, when he made his his his announcement that he wouldn't be doing it. I heard that Nancy Pelosi and some of the other people hadn't even spoken to him until now. I don't know if that's true or not.
Speaker 2: But she hasn't spoken to him yet. She as I understand it, oh, just.
Speaker 6: Through her little like, you know, wow, and so you know, and you know, I'm not a big fan of the Biden politics and all that, but I just thought the way he got treated was just rude because they abused him essentially for three and a half years, propping him up and making them do their thing, and then all of a sudden, oh gosh, well you know what you got to go. I'm sure doctor Jill must be having a bit of a conniption by now, but I just I, yeah, that was just rude. It's he's old, it's way past his bedtime. Let him go on first and do his sing and get the heck out of there. And yeah, no, I agree with you. I thought that was very very unjust and very disrespectful treatment. And these are the same group of Democrats we want running our country again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how about that.
Speaker 2: Well, it's it's almost as if it's like a mafia hit. It's sort of like, you know, it's so like in the you know, in The Godfather that you know, somebody you know was very helpful and very useful, and he did what people told him to do. But then there came a point in time where he was going to be a problem. Uh, and maybe they felt he was weak and he was gonna maybe cut a deal, you know, work work something out with with the with the the authorities, and you know, he had to go. He had to go.
Speaker 6: Well, and it does and it just it was they they respected him and showed him all the respect until all the time that he was not useful anymore, and then they were they were absolutely rude about how they did it. I mean, he's an old guy, he's a feeling guy.
Speaker 4: Mentally.
Speaker 6: It must is, it must really have hurt.
Speaker 2: I guess if you run with the big dogs, sometimes the pack turns on you.
Speaker 6: And it is a pack of wolf hyenas. And I don't know whatever else is out there, but wow, America, be careful who you vote for.
Speaker 2: Okay. I know who you're going to vote for. So we'll get on all right, right, talked to you, okay, my head tonight, Thank you so much, doctor. Good night, all right, Lourie, good night. Six one seven two thirty six one seven nine three one ten thirty. Those are the two lines. I lean is in Waltham. I lean your next one nights. I'd welcome.
Speaker 6: Good evening. How are you.
Speaker 2: I'm doing great Aileen, thanks for checking in here. Did did the Democrats do right by Joe Biden last night? No?
Speaker 6: And I think you made my point and you could pay to a mafia hit. I have a question that nobody has addressed, and it seems we missed these kind of opportunities all the day. Why was the debate in June instead of in September.
Speaker 2: That's a great question.
Speaker 3: Now, what happened that question?
Speaker 6: It puts a whole different line on everything.
Speaker 2: Well, here's what happened.
Speaker 6: Was a hit. It was a definite hit.
Speaker 2: Okay, here's what happened if you recall, which is I think really interesting. I'd let to know what other people think about this. If you remember, one morning in early June, Donald Trump had said he was looking forward to debating Joe Biden anywhere, anytime, any place, And one morning the White House released a videotape of Joe Biden said, and he was very disrespectful to Trump. It was like, hey, Donald, you said, anytime, anywhere, any place, I'm ready. Let's do it make my day. He used that line the Clint Eastwood line, he looked were tough and ready, And within an hour CNN had offered the debate stage and Joe Biden had accepted, and then Donald Trump accepted. Uh. And remember some of the there was going to be no audience, no noteo, yes, and there was going to be a strict limit on time. So when someone's time was up, it was up. Jake Tapper and Dana Bash treated Donald Trump very respectfully.
Speaker 6: I think I listened to a little bit, but not the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Well, I watched it as much as I could. I'd listened to it because we were just as we played Donald Trump's that debate and then we played his acceptance speech. Will also play Vice President Harris's acceptance speech on Thursday night, so you'll hear it here on Night Side as well. But the point is when he came out, he looked I looked awful, and he.
Speaker 4: Looked, oh yeah.
Speaker 6: The whole thing, I mean.
Speaker 2: He was set up to He was set up. I happen to agree with you. He was set up. He was set up to fail.
Speaker 6: It was a hit, and I don't think the hit began recently. I think this whole scenario was put in place back in to sixteen.
Speaker 4: I think that's good was just a holder.
Speaker 3: He was the hold of that.
Speaker 2: When I lean Aleen, you said to sixteen in to sixteen he was. He basically decided.
Speaker 6: He wasn't there.
Speaker 2: Yes, he wasn't there, right, he had been vice president of.
Speaker 6: Eight years, and then he came back in Yep, he came back into Parent. Everybody saw Philip was going to win the Air of Parent and she didn't. And so I really believed the powers that be, the control was behind the Democratic Party started then saying Okay, what are we.
Speaker 4: Going to do?
Speaker 2: I'm agreeing with you, And what I was trying to say was that in twenty twenty, I think the the powers that be in the Democratic Party decided. If you remember it, he became the nominee almost overnight. He had finished fourth or fifth in New Hampshire, and he flew to South Carolina and that Saturday he won decisively in South Carolina thanks to the help of Congressman James Cliburne Clive Burne, and immediately Pete Buddhajet flew to South Carolina and endorsed him, and I think Amy Claubacher did and that race was over. Based upon the South Carolina primary, I think that was a set up as well. I think the.
Speaker 6: Democrats one I really think it's a long term plan and as you as you sent you it's a coup.
Speaker 2: Well, I didn't use the word coup that day.
Speaker 4: Getting rid of Biden others doing them there.
Speaker 2: I think she can hear me. There are others who have used the word coup. I lean, and we talked about that last that last night.
Speaker 6: I really think there's a concern. I think we're going to wake up and ask what's really going on here.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's see if people react to what you have to say. I Lean, thank you very much for your call.
Speaker 6: The question is why and why and June.
Speaker 4: Instead of in September.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll see what people say. Thank you. I Leen, appreciate your call. Ran good night six one seven two five four ten And I think she did a tough time hearing me there, so I tried not to be interruptive. If you'd like to join the conversation, and I really wish you would six one seven, two five four ten thirty six one seven nine three one ten thirty. For those of you who are interested, Michelle Obama is speaking the The husband of the Vice President, Doug M Hoff has just spoken, and I suspect that missus Obama is about to interview introduce the former president, and again I think we're still here in prime time, although it is getting a little lighter. But last night, remember Joe Biden didn't hit that stage until about ten thirty. I think he was disrespected last night doesn't really matter at this point. He is now in the review mirror for the Democrats. And again, it's been a spectacular change, There's no doubt. And I said last winter, I didn't think that we were not going to have surprises. I said there would be surprises. I did not anticipate that Joe Biden on July twenty first would step away. So I'd love to know. I want to talk politics tonight. You were more than welcome to join the conversation. And if you're a new call that's great. If you're an undecided caller, if you truly aren't decided, I don't think there were too many of you who are undecided at this point, and I think most of you are either going to be huge Trump supporters and vote for Donald Trump because you believe in Donald Trump and everything that he represents, or on the Democratic side, you have been energized. Now you were a little reluctant to really throw your weight behind Joe Biden again, but now you're energized.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: And it's it's also if the is this election I think is becoming more and more about Donald Trump, and I think that is the way that Democrats want to play it.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: If you agree, wonderful. If you disagree, feel free join the conversation back on Nightside right after this quick commercial break.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Way live from the Window World nights Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Back to the phones we go. Let me go to Ross in Denham, Massachusetts. Hey, Ross, welcome, You're next on Nightside. I'm being great Ross. What's your your question or comment tonight?
Speaker 4: Wh are you an gham? And just things? I am a first time caller, but I can't lie. I worked no, no, no, no, no no. I did work for wb Z ready for three years. I enjoyed you.
Speaker 2: You worked for BESY how long ago?
Speaker 4: Early nineties?
Speaker 2: Early nineties? Okay, well, I was in TV at the time. Did we ever cross paths?
Speaker 4: Probably in the men's room.
Speaker 2: I mean, what did you do? If I could ask?
Speaker 4: I know I was in the traffic departments to commercial commercial operations and then I went back to the enemy for thirty years and I just retired.
Speaker 2: So who was the enemy?
Speaker 4: If I could ask Fox TV?
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, Okay, that's okay, they're not the enemy. Their colleagues right ahead.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah. They grabbed me out of college and I went there and buzzed over to BZ and I went back to Fox.
Speaker 2: Well, welcome as a first time caller. Do we give We got round of applause for you, Thank you Forank Colin. Are you undecided in this race or where are you.
Speaker 4: Actually? I'm confused. In twenty sixteen and twenty twenty, I voted for the Libertarian Cicut okay, because Bill Weld was on the ticket, Yes he was. Yeah, so I went with that route. I couldn't vote for a party, so it's not going to work. Okay, excuse me, there's time around. My question is to you is I've been looking at the U. I guess the four figures behind you know, the Democrats, Republicans. I didn't know if you had any opinion on somebody like Jill Stein.
Speaker 2: Well she's she's the Green Party candidates. He lives in Lexington and she got a few votes. You know, these third party candidates sometimes actually do surprisingly well. You know, I again. The libertarian candidate in twenty twenty was a woman named Joe Jorgenson. She got almost two million votes. Oh that's a lot of votes, but no electoral votes. Jill Stein in twenty sixteen, many people think that she cost Hillary Clinton the election. She got almost a million and a half votes. Gary Johnson was the libertarian in twenty sixteen, got almost four and a half million votes. So you know, if you it's those are small votes, but they could mean a lot to one of the major candidates. So you know, what where are you leaning this time? Are you leaning to vote for? You're not going to vote for for Harris or Trump?
Speaker 4: I assume no, absolutely not.
Speaker 2: No, Okay, you're going to find a third What about rf K No, no, no, okay, okay, I.
Speaker 4: Don't mean to laugh, but no, that's that's not gonna happen. Okay, there's another guy out here, I don't know, fever bought him, called all the Chase.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's the Libertarian candidate. He'll get a million votes and you'll have no. I mean, it's a nice vote to make if that's what you want to do, But you're not gonna You're not gonna it's not going to impact the election.
Speaker 4: No, not, it wonts. But I will ask you this question. Uh, Let's say a bunch of us wrote here. Somebody who I do like is uh Christy, Uh, Christy Chase. Let's say you're right here, man.
Speaker 2: Who I missed that?
Speaker 4: Who?
Speaker 2: He's one you're talking about, Chris Christy?
Speaker 4: Thank you? The guy from New Jersey. Yeah, thank you. Yeah, but that's not gonna help.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, I'll tell you either either Trump or Harris will win. Either Trump or Harris will win.
Speaker 4: Right, But my question is if some of us will in him, would that helped him get donations if he wanted to go run for senator?
Speaker 2: Not really?
Speaker 4: I mean now, okay, I.
Speaker 2: Don't think so. Yeah, yeah, I think ross that again. It's a you know, the reality is that this country is a two party, two party country, unlike the European countries which have you know, coalition governments, or Israel, where you have seven or eight major parties or minor parties.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, yeah, so you have.
Speaker 2: I mean in twenty sixteen, you had Joe Stein the Green Party, you had Evan McMullan, an independent, uh, and then there are other other groups that that are out there too. You know, Gary Johnson was the Libertarian Party candidate back then. But again if right, yeah, you know, and again it can make a difference. I mean, if there's a significant vote in one state. Look, George Bush never would have beat al Gore if Ralph Nader hadn't bet on the ballot. You know how many votes Ralph Nader got in Florida in two thousand. That was a race in Florida where Bush won by five hundred and twenty seven votes. You how many votes Nader got? But take guess, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I do know.
Speaker 2: Ninety ninety two thousand, Ross is the answer? Ninety two thousand, which what percentage of those votes you think would have gone Native's votes would have gone to al Gore as opposed to George Bush?
Speaker 4: Oh, all of them?
Speaker 2: Right? Al Gore would have been the President of United States it had not been for Ralph Nator being on the ballot.
Speaker 4: In California, his followers a spoiler would be lost. Parrot right, But.
Speaker 2: Parot had no impact. I mean Perot got no electoral votes. I don't know that he costs that have to go back and look and see if he be cost George Bush Particolah.
Speaker 4: I'm pretty sure he took photes away from Bush.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I think so. We got nineteen percent of the vote. Ross, I got a run. Thank you very much for your call. Great to renew an old friendship here and keep calling the show. You no reason why you can't becoming a second or a third time caller.
Speaker 4: Okay, thanks well, great night.
Speaker 2: All right you two, here comes the eleven o'clock news. Let's talk politics on the other side. I love to hear from you. Feel free to join the conversation. You have the number six one, seven, two, five, four to ten thirty six one, seven, nine three one ten thirty